Speaker 1: Hello Texans, and welcome to the show. As we bring you inside the Hyunday Texans Radio studio. Mark Vandermer, John Harris with you, and we talk Texans every night, among other things, but Texans mostly NFL mostly. Sometimes some other things come into the fray, like college football because we also host a bowl here, the Texas Bowl every year, the Kinders Texas Bowl, and other things going out at NRG Stadium and beyond.
Speaker 2: Johnny, how's it going tonight? Going? Well? It was fun.
Speaker 3: I jumped on with Reggie and John this morning or this afternoon and the first question they asked me was about tight ends. And it's so interesting because this is a position mark in this draft that is loaded. It doesn't have like I mean, the two guys top are really good athletes, but it doesn't have a brock Bauers. It doesn't have a time to think who's going early, you know, like a Vernon Davis. Yeap, it doesn't. I mean, I guess Kenyan City has been compared to Vernon Davis. But yes, from that standpoint, I don't know if there's gonna be a tough five. I've got a top ten guy, but man, you can get a tight end, they're at least at least two dozen tight ends I think get drafted and it's a really good class. So I did my breakdown updated rankings at her Football Taker for dot com, so you can check that out. But it was fun talking about the tight ends and getting their thoughts on it today on End the Loop.
Speaker 2: That was fun.
Speaker 1: So that was it. It was a whole segment on tight ends. Really, my gosh, well.
Speaker 2: It wasn't just tight It wasn't just tight ends. You know how that goes.
Speaker 3: I mean, they asked me about a few other things and right, you know, kind of some of the It's always funny because I I can figure out even if I'm not listening to the shows, I can figure out what guys have been talking about because they'll text me like.
Speaker 2: Hey, what do you think about this?
Speaker 3: It's so they want to get my thoughts and then you can kind of see, yeah, see I was right.
Speaker 2: John thinks this. I was right.
Speaker 3: So I get a lot of that, especially Reggie and John. When they asked me a question, I can tell all right, they've been debating this. I don't know which side they'll be on, but they want to get my confirmation to feel one way or the other.
Speaker 2: So it's always kind of fun.
Speaker 3: Because he asked me about Caleb Banks, who's the defensive tackle out of Florida, who is an unbelievable player when he's fully healthy and when he's dialed in, and this year was not that year. He had been hurt all year and he got hurt the combine and at the Senior Bowl I saw him.
Speaker 2: He kind of went up and down.
Speaker 3: But he's the kind of guy that he looks like Jalen Carter, and I mean when you see him.
Speaker 2: You're like, holy cow, like you're a real human being.
Speaker 3: You're like not AI generated, Like you're a real human being, Like you got to reach out and touch him to me, like you're real. But if he's fully healthy, he's a top five player, but he just hasn't been and so that kind of puts him down. So they asked me if I thought the Texas would take a look at him at number twenty eight, and I said, yeah, I think they'll take a look at him for sure. And so I it was funny though I could tell that they were they had been debating whether they would do that or not for Caleb Banks at twenty eight.
Speaker 1: Okay, This is like a pen or instapol, except you and I are the posters or the police or whatever. The top five most AI generated athletes in Texans history. All right, ai ish oh athletes in Texans history. I'm going to give you a few names. We'll rank him in a moment here. But dan Neil Hunter's on this list for sure, right, yeah, Yeah. I think Mario Williams is on this list too.
Speaker 2: Johnny, Yep. Absolutely.
Speaker 1: I think Jadeveon Clowney's on this list. You're sensing a theme here of the positions they play. I would think Andre Johnson could be on this list too, There's no doubt because when you're looking at two twenty five, two thirty six, two sixty three can run a four to four, that's sick. The hands, the speed, the turning ability, all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: What is that four guys?
Speaker 1: And probably what especially what as he progressed in his career? Is anybody left out of that five?
Speaker 2: Well? That's the five?
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 2: It's funny. I was actually watching earlier today.
Speaker 3: I was actually looking at a couple of guys on Michigan's defense and you can't help and I was watching a high State Michigan game, and you can't help but as you're watching it, go, oh good god. Number four for Ohio State Jeremiah Smith. And you look at it and go, that's Andre Johnson. Like, that's Andre Johnson.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Six three, two thirty moves the way that Andre did from Miami, just does everything on a football field the guy should be able to do. I mean, I see all these different comparisons, all these different receivers. I'm like, no, no, no, no, that's Andre Johnson. So it's interesting seeing Jeremiah Smith go, well, it's gonna be another year because he's only a sophomore, so he's gonna have another year in college football where he can dominate. But I would say those guys, I would say, you know, from the standpoint of AI generated, you also.
Speaker 2: Think of speed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think Will Fuller would have to go in that category. He's the fast this football player I've ever seen in my life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, bar none. He was the kind of guy that.
Speaker 3: Fast football players couldn't catch that he ran away from. It was fascinating to watch him hit a different gear and then just pull away from really fast football guys like that's that was otherworldly. I mean, it was I remember the second second year, you know, twenty sixteen. He went through kind of ups and downs as a rookie. But I remember going to Seattle and he had that first deep ball and he pulled away from every Seattle defender and I just thought, this is different. Yep, this guy's on a different level than everybody else. So from a speed standpoint, I would absolutely put will Fuller in there.
Speaker 2: That's good.
Speaker 1: Now you're talking characteristics as opposed to just the body, but you're right as far as speed, because as far as it looks like a glitch in the matrix, it's a Madden Life situation. DeAndre Hopkins was also like that in his ability to catch the football in almost impossible situations. Wait, what the one against Pittsburgh on Christmas Day in twenty seventeen.
Speaker 2: What how did that happen?
Speaker 1: Or any sideline catch just pick one of dozens where nah, he didn't get oh wait a minute, he did get both feet down. How did that happen? And Nico comes up with a lot of those as well. And there's a theme here. Great wide receivers without standing ability, that's you know, bar none. Basically you look at guys like that. But Hopkins comes to mind, where oh, he's double coverage covered, he's not gonna come down. Yes he did. He came down with it. He came down with it anyway, he had that ability.
Speaker 2: We didn't see it. We wouldn't believe it.
Speaker 3: Ah.
Speaker 2: I will never forget my first year on the sidelines. We were two and zho.
Speaker 3: We went to New York to take on the Giants and we just couldn't do anything right that day. And I remember we were down seven to oh or ten nothing in that game, and so Hop was out by me and Fitz. He just hauls off and throws it and just chucks it up there. It's, you know, one of those things where eh, Hop's down there, he'll come down with it. And Hop has actually run past the ball and the balls behind him, and he reaches back and catches it with one hand. And it was weeks before Obj did it. Yep, it didn't count. It didn't count because Hop had to be off the line because we were six. We had a six offensive linemen on the field, and so he thought he should be on the line because he saw a tackle, and so it was negated. But that catch in the one against Miami on their sideline that he caught between his legs that was also taken away from him because it was interference.
Speaker 2: Yep, those are the two. Those were two I'll never forget.
Speaker 3: When they showed the replay on the video board at Energy Stadium, I remember this like oo, like overcoming the crowd, like everybody just.
Speaker 2: Like oh, it was really weird. It wasn't like a cheer. It wasn't like this uproar.
Speaker 3: It was just kind of this when you see something cool, You're like, oh, it was like that across the board and it was like he caught that between his legs. And I'll never forget Troy Aikman and Joe Bucker calling that game. And I remember Troy Aikman being incredulous on TV afterwards.
Speaker 2: We were sitting there going, well, yeah, we seen him do this before. Yep, he caught it. He's freaky. He still is ridiculous. Well, if he gets into the Hall of.
Speaker 1: Fame, and I know there's debate is he borderline, is he in, is he at whatever?
Speaker 2: But let's just say he gets in.
Speaker 1: On his highlight reel, they've got to show the catch against the Giants, and they have to show the one against Miami even though they didn't count, which is weird that two of the greatest catches you've ever had, maybe the greatest catches you've ever had, as far as degree of difficulty, will not count.
Speaker 2: They do not count.
Speaker 1: They're not really in the history books. It's in the official play by play. It's a penalty, Hopkins.
Speaker 2: Off the whatever.
Speaker 1: Crazy And I'm still bitter about Beckham's catch because that was a sensational catch, but because his logo where Hopkins did that, and had Hopkins been able to hang on or had that been legal, had he been off the line like he was supposed to be, well, we might have had a different situation. As far as his career goes and the way he's looked at now, he's looked at as an all time great receiver, there's no doubt. But Beckham still gets so much praise for that catch, and he should get it for that catch.
Speaker 2: Yep. And he was great for a while.
Speaker 1: But he's playing in his flag football game on Saturday with Tom Brady and those guys. He's still out there. He's trying to get another job. And I don't know, I never looked at him as an all time great because he couldn't stay on the field long enough to.
Speaker 2: Be one, so maybe great Hop flash. Yeah, Hop has been on the field.
Speaker 3: I mean, he's been productive for a lot of teams since he left Houston.
Speaker 2: And you know it's funny with Hop.
Speaker 3: He did things in games and hear this all the time, well you should have seen the catches that guy made in practice. Well, yeah, you should have seen the things Hop did in practice. But then also in a game against the best there ever was. I mean, he was that guy, and yeah, the things he.
Speaker 2: Did in practice.
Speaker 3: I mean there were times where we would sit there during OTA's and he would just be screwing around. And I remember there was one there was one practice, I know it was probably seventeen maybe, and he's just running routes on the sidelines and he was going out of bounds and the balls throwing behind him, and he caught the back half of the ball, and it was like, wait a second, did he just do what I thought he did? Just caught the back half of the ball, never tucked it in, and then just flipped it to a manager and went back in line.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 3: And I remember thinking that's you know, like when I think of Ai and I think of guys you know, with great hands. That was him, like Fuller was speed, Hop was hands. The guys you mentioned, those guys were just built from a lab. It's like you went in and you typed in six six two ninety uh Enter, you got one, you know, Mario Williams. I mean when you go back and you look at the combine numbers of those guys, it's ridiculous. I mean JD was two seventy five and ran up four to six.
Speaker 2: Geez.
Speaker 3: He was so wist john he was faster than Kamari Lassner's forty times.
Speaker 1: I just remember him, and I've talked about this before, on field three doing one of those I'm coming back from an injury workouts. Yeah, and he sprints the length of the field and just him running by himself sprinting was a sight. Was a sight because he's so huge, he's blocking out the sun and he's flying, and you just thought, well, that's an athlete. That's a hell of an athlete right there. As far as the receivers go real quick here, we know what Andre Johnson's greatest catches are. We've talked about this many times. He's a Pro Football Hall of Famer Hopkins. We talked about degree of difficulty, but catches that count or meant something. Now, the Pittsburgh game Christmas didn't really mean anything because it was such a bad season and it was the brightest spot for the Texans in a terrible game. Otherwise, on Christmas Day against the Steelers. Boy, these Christmas Day games, Johnny the Ravens in twenty twenty four, the Steelers in twenty seventeen. We gotta stop doing this. Gotta play better on Christmas Day at home. Anyway, that catch was incredible. But I think Monday Night Football twenty fifteen for Hop that was a hell of a catch. And maybe hopspins against the Cowboys twenty eighteen Sunda Night Football to set up the game winning field goal by fair Beard. I think those two are the ones. Am I missing anything else?
Speaker 3: No, Definitely one of my favorite moments of all time. I'll take this one with me forever because I just happened to be in a great spot to see that catch against the Bengals. It was right in front of me, and I just remember I can see Hop running and he's going against pac Man Jones, and I see the ball in the air, and I just yelled, go get it, Hop, And one of the great things about that catch was Hop was so good on the sidelines that he actually had he just come down naturally. I don't think he gets both feet in the air or in the in bounds, but he clicked the first foot and he actually clicked the second foot behind his first foot, and that kind of slowed it down to where he could then tap and he got the two feet in and I just remember that was like.
Speaker 2: Man, I get to watch this up close and see him do the things he did. I mean, it was it was unbelievable.
Speaker 3: But Hopspins popped up on my I can't remember what I was on Instagram or Twitter and videos and whatever, and Hopspins popped up and what a play that was. I mean that it kind of gets forgotten in a sense because you know, Hop got traded and then quarterback of this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but that play at that time against that.
Speaker 1: Team, Oh massive, incredible, massive, And last season that was the zero to three coming back, nine game winning streak. We referenced that a lot because they just had that again in twenty twenty five. So that play, yes, massive play primetime audience, one of the great Sunday night football games we've ever seen the Texans play, and there have been others. Patriots, that was a good Sunda night football game, right, and.
Speaker 2: Of course the Chiefs this year.
Speaker 1: That was my favorite, I think because of everything it meant at the time to knock them off at Arrowhead Stadium. All right, Johnny, it's way too early Tuesday, way too early Tuesday, and we're gonna do way too early. Not win predictions, but projections of some of these teams that the Texans are facing or that they're rubbing shoulders with of the AFC. And we'll go to NFC as well, because the Texans are playing the NFC East.
Speaker 2: You ready for this one, Let's go, all right?
Speaker 1: So in the AFC South, let's just start home here because this is what matters to people. Just to refresh everyone's memory, the Jacksonville Jaguars won the division with a thirteen to four record while the Texans were twelve and five Indianapolis. It was so satisfying watching them go eight and nine this campaign, and the Titans won three games, so likelihood. Let me just give you this. Never mind who's going to win the division, just look at the Jags. I want you to zero in on the Jags without talking about the Texans just for a moment here. Thirteen wins, yes, or no Jaguars in twenty twenty, so there'll be less than thirteen wins.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: I do think that Jacksonville is gonna end up being maybe a more difficult team to beat this year than maybe before. But they've got a deal with Yes, they'll get Travis Hunter back and that that will help them if he's healthy, and they've talked about, you know how they're gonna use him going forward, and.
Speaker 2: I think that's smart.
Speaker 3: But Mark, they've lost I think some really key pieces in Jacksonville. No more Devin Lloyd. Devin Lloyd's now with the Panthers. Yep, they they lost Travis a Chan. Let's make sure we say that right.
Speaker 1: So wait a minute, that's how we have to say ETN now ah chan just like the dolphin running back. Yeah yeah, yeah, it's the exact same and written completely differently, spelled completely differently than a chan. So yeah, formerly it was at and then it went to ETN and now it's chack right god.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all because he didn't want to He didn't want to chase. So it's eight Chan now, but we don't have to worry about it because he's with the Saints, so we won't even face him this year.
Speaker 2: Nice, but I I don't think.
Speaker 3: I didn't think the Jacksonville offensive line was great last year, and I think that A Chan did a good job with them running behind them. I think the trade for Jacoby Myers was brilliant, brilliant. I mean, they needed somebody that could catch the ball. But what is Brian Thomas junior? Is he the number one? Parker Washington stepped up, But I still I think they're gonna have a hard time replacing Devin Lloyd's production. I think Vitro Miller's a really good player, but he's not Devin Lloyd. And I feel like in the secondary they'll get Travis Hunter. Act. We'll see, but I mean, I still think they've got some holes back there, and they don't have a first round pick. But I do think they're in the second year of Liam Cohen. They're gonna take some strides. But if they if they get a guy hurt on defense, if they get one of their key guys hurt, be it Josh Haines, Allen or foy Alukan. I think they could really really struggle defensively. I feel like the depth isn't quite there for them, and I think that's where they could have an issue. But we're all playing the AFC North, We're all playing the NFC East. So that being said, I mean, I think they're gonna be really tough out for both those divisions. So I think they're gonna, like the Texans, pick up some ground against those two divisions. But they got to play a first place schedule, yep, so that means they got to take on the Patriots. That means they got to take on the Broncos. We got to take a play schedule. We get the Chargers we beat last year. It does mean we get the Buffalo Bills when we get the Bills at home.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think there's any advantage here in being the second place team as far as schedule goes AFC. I mean, you mentioned it Chargers and Bills, Nikes a lot, right, it's not I mean third place. Now we're talking it's Dolphins and well Chiefs.
Speaker 2: And that's not good.
Speaker 1: That's not good because they're going to be better than six and eleven, you would think, all right, so you did the Jacks will the Colts. I just see them as an eight and nineteen again kind of maybe not even who knows if Jones is not healthy? And wait, who was the player who said he was going to come back on an achilles?
Speaker 2: Real quick? Here?
Speaker 1: It was a running back. I'm sorry, I don't have this top of my brain, but I was surprised. But anyway, not Jones but another player. But yeah, Jones gets back. Can Jones be as good as he was early in the season. The schedule's going to be tougher, I would think. And now you don't know what Riley l can do? You think maybe something? I'm not sure if they're better than eight wins your thoughts. I think they are a complicated mess. If I'm being honest, I feel like they have an identity offensively, and that is Jonathan Taylor is gonna carry us.
Speaker 3: But for how long? I mean, we're going to twenty twenty six. This is the seventh season in the league. You know it starts to show on a running back. And I thought he was excellent last year. I'll tell you this, though in Week eighteen he did not look the same. Now it's week eighteen, I understand it. He did not look the same. But they kept out Pierced. Okay, good for them. They kept and they've got Josh down, so I think it's fantastic. They brought in Nick Westbrook, a keen eight wide receiver. He's always given us issue, but you know he's the number three clearly. I just don't get scared of that offense. Mark, really, I really don't. I think they defensively, I mean, they don't scare me at all. They lost Nick Cross. I didn't even think he was a great player, but you look at the depth chart at safety. If they were to play a game today, they would start former safety slash linebacker Hunter Woler from Wisconsin at safety. I mean, Okay, they went out got Sauce Gardner, but he doesn't scare me either. I've said that numerous times. And I think up front, they're another year older. Forrest Buckner was banged up last year, Grover stew was banged up last year. They very rarely played a bunch of games together. So I and they can't draft, and they won't draft in the first round because that's they got from Sauce Gardner. So the way you would improve your roster, well you're gonna do it through the draft where they're gonna have to do it from day two and day three. And I don't know that that significantly improves that roster because now they got all this money tied up in Alec Pierce, they got all this money tied up in Daniel Jones.
Speaker 2: They went got arden Key, Okay, arn Keyes.
Speaker 3: He's a good rusher, He's okay. I don't get excited about it. Lot two has not gotten to that level yet. But to me, it all hinges on when are they getting Daniel Jones back? And if they could get him back week they'll say he doesn't start week one, put him up pup, he comes back week five. What's their record going through what's the first four games? Now? Last year, their first four games and their first eight games were cake. They were easy. Other than the Broncos, they were easy, and they got the Broncos at home. If they get stuck with a tough schedule and they end up going one in three before Jones comes back, now he's carrying a lot of pressure, and I just.
Speaker 2: I don't know that's a good thing for them, if I'm being honest.
Speaker 1: By the way, the player I was thinking of was Najie Harris. Who oh yeah, his agent posted a video of him running on a treadmill. Yes, and he looked pretty good running on a treadmill, so we'll see what that means. But it was a week three injury for him with the achilles, and Jones got hurt a lot later, So we'll see how Jones does.
Speaker 2: Early on or later on or whatever. The case.
Speaker 1: Is not gonna go over the Titans right now, because look, three wins last year. One hundred percent improvement would be six wins. No one's gonna throw a parade over that. But maybe it's a good start for rob Solid.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: Never mind about them, Let's go to the NFC East. The Texans are playing that division. And what's interesting about this is everybody finished below five hundred other than elite organization Philadelphia Eagles. And I'm not saying that tongue in cheek. I think they are so, I think they're back. I think they win the division. I think they're another double digit win team. Now, maybe maybe they're slipping a little bit here because eleven wins is not exactly even up to their standard, which is nice to have that as a standard. But I don't see anybody really threatening. Maybe the Cowboys do a bit better. Maybe Washington's back, although I don't think so. I think it's gonna be really hard, Johnny, for Washington to recapture the magic of twenty twenty four, because Kingsbury's gone a lot of changes. Nothing lasts forever this league, as we know. And Jaden Daniels, he looked okay when he was healthy, but he wasn't healthy good flag football healthy wise, you know, he looked like he was spry, So we'll see what that means for them moving forward. Your thoughts on that division quick thumbnail.
Speaker 3: I'm curious what John Harbaugh does with the Giants. I think he's gonna have an impact early on, even if it's just to get the offense on track. Here's what we are offensively, here's our identity offensively, Here's what we do defensively. He's just got to let those dogs hunt. I mean, he's got Abdua Carter, Cavon, Thibodau. Now, I do think one of these guys might be moved, Thibodeau being the one that pops to mind, but Abduall Carter, Brian Burns, Trevor Lawrence.
Speaker 2: Dexter, Lawrence up front.
Speaker 3: They've got defensive dudes, so they've got to let the defense eat. And I do think the Giants would be a little bit better. Commanders have just been accumulating talent, but I don't totally see it if I'm being honest. Uh. And then there's the Cowboys, and the Cowboys can be all over the map. I mean there are days I look at the Cowboys and go, oh, yeah, talented team, But what are they really I mean, if they go and get Max Crosby, all right, maybe, but are they gonna do that? Apparently they offered very similar to what the Ravens offered, but they offered a second instead of a second first, so who knows at that point, But Cowboys did go out and get Rashaun Garry. I just feel like the Cowboys are so reliant on Dak Prescott being up right and healthy, and that if he is, then the Cowboys are gonna play pretty well. If he's not, then they're gonna be a mess. And last year, defensively they were a big time mess. So I think that changed a little bit. I think the personnel will get a little bit better. They got two first round picks. I think they'll put those on the defense side of the ball. But what happens with George Pickens? Yeah, they don't bring back Pickens? Now, do they need some receiver help with you know, go along with see Lamb. So you know, there are a lot of things, a lot of question marks. I still think with the Cowboys, and then you know, Schottenheimer is a coach. I thought he did a decent job with them last year. I don't know if I buy it, but I feel like with the Eagles again coaching staff. They reset the entire offensive coaching staff, including Jeff Stotlin, offensive line coach, one of the best of the league. It's not the deepse that's a league, big one right there, big one, huge, obviously bigger.
Speaker 2: Than the coordinator until further notice.
Speaker 3: Yes, absolutely, so we'll see what Sean Manyon does is the offensive coordinator. But I mean their top twenty two guys eleven offense, eleven defense mark. I mean you put that up against anybody. I mean it's top three in the league.
Speaker 2: Yep. But I think their debt becomes a.
Speaker 3: Big issue because they gotta pay money to a lot of these guys that just paid Jordan Davis probably gonna have to pay Jalen Carter.
Speaker 2: They may have to move AJ Brown.
Speaker 3: All those are you know, gonna have an impact, and the right side of their line Lane Johnson, I'm sorry, right tackle A Johnson, left guard Land and Dickerson. Those guys were questioning whether they were coming back this year. Would you move AJ Brown? Would you move them? Your GM of the Eagles, you're Howie Roseman, you move them? I mean, obviously you want to get a good package, of course, and let's say you do. I say it's gonna happen because it's not like you're using him a ton anyway.
Speaker 1: It's not that kind of team. You don't need that shining star marquee busting number one. You know what, they'd be better off, not maybe in the run game department, but the way the Jags have it with Jakobe Myers and Brian Myers is back for the Jags, right and Brian Thomas Junior and Parker Washington. They need a crew like that where there's no superstar, but they could all do things and maybe Brian Thomas becomes a superstar. Heck, maybe Parker Washington becomes a superstar. I don't know, but they need a crew like that. Guys were good. You don't need aj Brown who wants the ball all the time. And look, he's one of those guys who needs the ball all the time. Feed him the rock, get him his touches early so it's not a big problem late and he ends up seven eight, nine catches a game and you'll be happy. He'll be happy, Johnny. Texans are not playing the NFC North, but they are playing the Packers. I think the hardest division to pick in this league is the NFC South, not playing anybody from there.
Speaker 2: Maybe in the Super Bowl, I can always dream.
Speaker 1: But the Packers are a Texans opponent at lambeau Field and they went nine and seven. And you had four teams in this division with winning records. All four had winning records nine to eight, nine and eight. At the bottom with the Vikings and Lions Packers nine to seven and one, Bears eleven and six, I think this is a tough one to pick as well. And maybe the Vikings are automatically a last but I don't know. After what happened last year, and it wasn't exactly a quarterback stability with the Vikings. And we'll see how this goes with Kyler Murray. But to me, the Bears with all those dramatic wins, sometimes that's a shaky eleven win season, shaky meaning a yet to pull it out of a fire too often. I don't know who's gonna win this one. I think it's gonna be a real tough one to pick. I can't say the Lions won't be back.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, And look, if Kyler Murray clicks with KOC that could be kind of dangerous. But you know, we'll play the Packers, and I think it's gonna matter when we play the Packers because when is Michael Parson's gonna be available? Oh yeah, that I think is gonna end up being a big factor because they lost for Seoungarry and now they might not have Michael Parsons when the Texas play him. And after that, I don't look at anybody on that defense and go, hey, yeah, these guys scare me.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: We did not play well against the Packers when we played in a lambou two years ago. We didn't pick up their blitzes. Jeff Haffley had us looking for guys on the left side and they were all coming from the other side. We just did not look good against them. It's not Jeff Haffley anymore. So that's gonna be kind of interesting because he ends up taking the Dolphins job. It's gonna be John the Gannett. Well, we faced a game of defense before. But I think he's got more talent than his other previous stops, including Philadelphia, where they started to show some cracks in the armor when he was their last. But I think it matters because Michael Parsons, when you play them, is he available? If he's not, the defense doesn't really scare me. Now offensively, Jordan Love, you know how it is that guy can go out there and hit eight three pointers and go eight to ten from three for thirty seven points, or he can go one for twelve for seven points and you can rock it. Well, he's just he's still not that consistent guy that I know Packers.
Speaker 2: I hear it from my parents.
Speaker 3: Who live in forty five minutes north of Green Bay, and they're always complaining about Jordan Love, and I'm like, y'all stop complaining.
Speaker 2: Man. Yep, he's a good quarterback.
Speaker 3: He does some great things, and I know that game we went up there, he had some interceptions in that game, but in crunch time he led them down to the field goal that won it.
Speaker 2: So he's still gonna worry me. But I think the Packers.
Speaker 3: I think the Texans are better on paper right now than the Packers, But part of it is gonna be when we end up playing them. And then again, it's difficult to win a Lambo. It just always is. We've talked about it's a tough place to get to. It's hard to win the history and app building haven't done it since two thousand and eight. I'm all for doing it again at twenty twenty six.
Speaker 1: Okay, we didn't get to the AFC North, a division that had three losing teams and the Pittsburgh Steelers. How about that for the AFC North. What a disappointing year for that division. But maybe we'll get to them tomorrow or Thursday. How about this next up on way too early Tuesday.
Speaker 2: We're gonna do it. I'm gonna put Johnny on the spot.
Speaker 1: Top three position battles in OTAs and training camp.
Speaker 2: I went there pre draft. Are you kidding? No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: It's Texans Radio, all right, let's get right back to it here on Texans Radio the hun Day Texans Radio Studio and Mattris Firm, the official sleep partner of the Houston Texans, brings you this show you getting a good night's sleep. If you're not, you gotta pay a visit to Matris Firm any one of the locations near you, and there's probably one within a few hundred yards maybe a little farther of where you're listening right now, Matris Firm. Okay, Johnny, I promise this, and this shows you that you're a good football. This is one of the things that shows you. We're going to get to OTA's mini camp, training camp. And what's everyone want to talk about when you go to these situations? You want to talk about position battles. I think the Texans have fewer than ever, fewer than ever, I don't know about ever, but fewer than they've had in a long time. If nothing else, position battles. Because I could name the entire starting defense right now, no problem, so can you? Right, maybe things changed, but let's be honest, let's move to the We immediately moved to the offense where there aren't too many spots. You know, you talked about tight ends with Reggie and John today, but tight ends. It's all about what matchups are you seeing, how do you open the game, as far as who starts and everything like that, Who gets the reps, it's a game plan situation. Schultz is going to lead the group in receptions, obviously, might lead the team again as far as we know, everybody else will mix it up.
Speaker 2: Tell me who's healthy.
Speaker 1: Is Brevin Jordan arriving at the starting line healthy because he'll factor in if he is stover, same thing, Foster Moreau. They signed him for a reason. Luke Lache, We'll see how he battles in. But let's get right to it. On the line, you could name a starting offensive line today, but will the real position battles be here in the interior of the D line? Rookies possibly threatening veterans. It doesn't seem like that. Even maybe at the center position, I don't know.
Speaker 3: You tell me, well, when you tease this out of last segment, immediately I said center because that's been something that has been talked about by Nick and Dimiko, and I think Jake did some good things in twenty twenty five. But this is a really good center draft. It really wasn't a plentiful free agent center class, you had Tyler Linderbaum, who you know for a fact you weren't going to go out and pay twenty seven million a year or two. And then you had cade May's, so you basically had one center that was really kind of worth it from that stand point.
Speaker 2: Now we end up getting Evan Brown.
Speaker 3: I think Evan's gonna be in that competition for center, but there's gonna be a definite competition at center, and I think there's gonna be a rookie that gets in that mix.
Speaker 2: And let's not forget guy.
Speaker 3: You and I've talked about Eli Cox, undrafted free agent in twenty twenty five out of Kentucky, multi year starter at Kentucky, really good football player in the SEC. If Eli Cox gets an opportunity, I wouldn't be surprised if he ran off with it because he's built a little bit bigger than Jake but kind of like that thick stout, can.
Speaker 2: Move very quick feet.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't be surprised if Eli Cox got in this competition at center. But with the centers in this draft, I would feel like they're gonna get one and throw them into the competition. I feel like guard, uh, it's it's definitely there. And look, if Evan Brown doesn't win center competition, then he's definitely center guard, can play either. He's the key interior guy that you can have to play either one of those spots. I think what becomes interesting and I'll use Sean and Seth as a comparison point because you have gone out and got Evan Brown, because you have brought in Wyatt Teller and re signed at Ingram, where does that leave Jared Patterson? And then that tackle because you've signed Braden Smith, where does that leave Blake Fisher? Two guys that have been in the roster for the last two three years. Where does that leave those two guys, Jared Patterson and Blake Fisher. That becomes a competition of a different kind, right, and that is how do they fit on the roster?
Speaker 2: So I think competition at center.
Speaker 3: I think competition in where Jared Patterson and Blake Fisher are gonna fit.
Speaker 2: I think from a tight end perspective.
Speaker 3: I mean, look, Dalton's gonna Dalton's gonna get a majority of the reps. But can Luke Lasha get in this thing? Can he get into competition? Can he with a year under his belt? Now, can he kind of flash and get their attention. Where is Cad Stover in year three? I said last year, I thought he's gonna break out, then he got and that kind of just miird him in the muck. The rest of the way, Kate stays healthy. I think that tight end competition becomes really interesting and I wouldn't be surprised.
Speaker 2: And you did it in vandermonk two dot zero.
Speaker 3: I don't know if it happens because I think he's gonna be long gone. But what if you drafted Kenyan Sadek in the first round. What if you drafted Eli Stowers from Vanderbilt at number thirty eight?
Speaker 2: I mean, this could definitely happen.
Speaker 3: You could absolutely question add those pieces at tight end and now that becomes one hell of a competition for probably three roster spots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, now it's gonna be tough. Yeah, that's that's interesting. And this is an interesting exercise actually because it shows you that you're looking at depth.
Speaker 2: Really, you're looking at depth.
Speaker 1: All around this roster on a twelve win football team, tied for the all time high in victories in a season. So that's how you're handling it. And you tell me if I'm right about this. I predict in training can never Mind OTA's Mini Camp Training Camp, They're going to lighten the load just a little bit for Daniel Hunter and Will Anderson Junior.
Speaker 2: Because it does two things for you.
Speaker 1: It enables your offense to possibly get something done, and it lightens their load a little bit.
Speaker 2: You still want to get them physically ready.
Speaker 1: Demko's not going to want to slack off on the physical ramping up, but you want to see what Dylan Horton can do at this stage of his career. You want to get Dominique Robinson a lot of reps, and again, you want to make it so the offense isn't being destroyed on every rep. You want them to iron sharpens iron their way into being better on the OD line. But I think they have to have some success at Will as well. I remember last year during camp the times where they took Will and Daniel out, well, the offense looked a little better. And lo and behold that is the case because you are missing to all universe players in Anderson and Hunters. So you tell me if I'm right or wrong about that about just lightening the rep load a little bit for those two guys.
Speaker 2: Absolutely not in one hundred percent.
Speaker 3: When you tease this going in, that was one of the things that popped up to me. Who is the third rusher? Who is that third rusher that could lock in that spot behind Will and Daniel. I think Dylan Horton was underrated the last half of the year. In particular. I think he did one heck of a job. Didn't really get the notoriety, but he had a lot of pressures, he had a lot of TFLs. He set the edge really really well. I trust him. I feel like the staff trusts him. But he's going to the last year of his contract, so you know, maybe it's a contract deal. Derek Barney I think still has something left in his game, but he's not on the roster right now. Maybe once they go through the draft and they see what they can do in the draft or what they find in the draft, then maybe they called Derek back up and go, hey, man, we really need you.
Speaker 2: I think they need a.
Speaker 3: Young piece to start to emerge on the edge, whether that's a guy in this draft, whether that's Solomon Byrd taking another step, and then I think he's come along really well each and every year.
Speaker 2: I know it to him.
Speaker 3: It probably is like, Dude, I want to play, I want to get on a field. But I think they've ramped him up each and every year such that he can get on a field at some point and start to show the progress that he has made as a player.
Speaker 2: But Mark, this is a really good edge draft.
Speaker 3: And the more that I've thought about this, the more I feel like and what we're talking we just talked about, I feel like there might be a unique pass rush piece that they can add to this defense. And I say it like that because I know the Texans can't draft Darvel Reese from out of Ohio state. But Arvel Reese is a guy who can play off the ball linebacker. He can then rush on third down. Maybe that's the kind of guy that they can find in the draft that can do a little bit of everything, that can be a different type rusher that can compliment willing Daneel when they're on the field, but can also rush when they're off the field. That would be kind of interesting to me. Now, there are a few guys that kind of fit that. Anthony Hill junior from Texas can do a little bit of that. You know, is that a guy that twenty eight. You think about thirty eight, You think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so could that be something they look at.
Speaker 3: Maybe our Mason Thomas from out of Oklahoma is a true pass rusher, but he's different from Will and Daniel in that he's just got absolute bounce off the snap, like he is so fast off the snap. When we've had pass rushers in the past. We talked about this in the first segment, what Mario jd All the great pass rushers we had, Will and Daniel, we really haven't had that Von Miller type. When I mentioned speed, he just scares everybody with the speed off the edge. We haven't really had that. We've had freakazoids on the outside that can win with all these different kinds of moves, but very rarely if we had a guy that could just flat out turn the edge, turn a corner and put a lot of pressure on a tackle because he's so fast. Oh that coming Mason Thomas might do it.
Speaker 1: That coming off the sideline, I got a break, Will and Toil there. Oh wait a minute, right, that coming off the sideline would be cool?
Speaker 2: All right?
Speaker 1: Also cool EJ speed. We'll hear some of that conversation we had with him and also we'll go around the league. It's coming up next here on Texans All Access. Final segment of the night here on Texans Radio. Great to have your board. And plenty of stuff going on around the NFL as always, and this is a very busy Houston sports week, as Johnny and I talked about yesterday, with NCAA Regionals going on at Toyota Center this weekend. The Koog's in the house for that. Talk to Tag Dell briefly in the hallway about that. He's all fired up. Every Kug is fired up. Every Houstonian should be fired up. This is cool stuff. And the Houston open at a memorial My gosh, that's gonna be fun. Astro's opening day. But the NFL never sleeps, right, never sleeps. News coming in all the time. A lot of talk about eighteen games because this could happen now. CBS and the NFL discussing increasing the CBS rights fee in exchange, So they're going to tear up the current broadcast contract, maybe in exchange for dropping the twenty twenty nine opt out clause. And the NFL is definitely going to opt out of every single deal to get more money, because why not the contracts are more valuable than ever, the rights to league broadcasts more valuable than ever. You have a situation where nbcpacock they are actually paying more to the NBA right now, just briefly, and the NFL is definitely going to have that change.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 1: They're more valuable, But the NBA very valuable as well to broadcast partners because it's live sports, and nothing moves the needle like live sports. But the NFL crushes the needle. The NFL takes the needle and throws it away. The NFL owns the needle. The NFL is that powerful. So to see this, you might see all the broadcast partners redo their deals in the coming year.
Speaker 2: And we go to eighteen games, and that's gonna be interesting.
Speaker 1: Two preseason games, eighteen regular season games, and one of the games will be for an international outing. That means every team will go international every year. You're gonna go somewhere every year off American soil, and that is going to be super interesting to follow for the fans, media, everybody. I know it's complex for the players, but they'll work out a way to do it and try to make it as comfortable as possible. There's a lot of money in it for everybody, and I think it's cool to promote the game on a global level and that would be just in time for the Olympics. We'll see if it all comes together. We don't know, but we'll all be watching together now. I wanted to revisit this with e J. Speed, who reupt with the Houston Texans and he loves staying in his home state.
Speaker 2: I know he was a cult but he is a Texan.
Speaker 4: Saying close to family, being a part of his own special like that deepest we had last year, that was important. And uh, I think I said that the first day I came. Uh, playing for Demico Ryans was always like a a goal or whatever like that for me. So uh, I mean two more years, two m years, the you feel what I'm saying, to keep growing and keep making it s, keep getting like the accomplishments, and keep growing and just you know, becoming a better meat for sure, in a better football player.
Speaker 1: You wanted to be here last year, So how did they measure up to your expectations before you got here? Clearly very well because you're back. But how was it living out that first full years of texting.
Speaker 4: Uh, actually it reached it. It far exceeded the expectations that I had. How humble the locker room was. That was a big thing for me, Like from the day when the otag just seeing like the star, big contract players, big name players, just being so humble and you know, just you know, at every workout and you know, working hard and staying down and not being like a prima dognash in a sense. So like just the camaraderie in the building and how the coaches and stuff was. It was a real family oriented, uh organization, So it was cool.
Speaker 1: Your attitude strikes me as unique. I mean maybe not with this team, but with a lot of teams because you're willing to do anything whatever it takes to win, whether it be playing linebacker, playing special teams at a high level.
Speaker 2: What goes into that for you?
Speaker 4: Uh, just always looking at the game as a serving like I owe a game. I never think that the game owe me, you know what I mean. The game did so much for me, like growing up, giving me a brother that I met when I was five through the game of football and everything like that. He ended up passing away my senior year. So I always feel like the game of football gave me something more than just the crowd and the accomplishments that you get out of the game. It's a real family oriented thing. So, like I said, that goes back to being a locker room full of humble guys. It just boosts my morale towards the game even more.
Speaker 2: What about being in Texas, EJ? How important is that to you?
Speaker 4: Family is everything too else? Football and family like my whole life. So being around my family, being in for Worth and they can just drive down and see me play, don't miss a game, a home game anyway, is it means a lot to me. I got my nephew in the city, my sister she lives in then, so it's uh, it means a lot to me to be around family.
Speaker 2: You mentioned your teammates.
Speaker 1: Who are some of the guys that struck you right away as team leaders or guys that you could really hang out with, be with and set the example with.
Speaker 4: The whole lineback of course, So the whole linemanker. Of course, that's the first room I walk into. That linebacker was so humble when Henry and disease, you know, and Jake and Jamal and Christian and all those guys. They were just like so humbling and they all played their role, you know what I mean. It wasn't a guy that was trying to overtrump, you know, even though it is a competition every time you hit the field, no matter the opposing team and the camp with your teammates and everything like that. But everybody accepted they role and everybody was willing to do whatever.
Speaker 2: So I fell right in.
Speaker 1: Honestly, the team got so close to its goals last year, but I know you came up short. What about the hunger on this team to take it to the next level, the next steps.
Speaker 4: Everybody want to strive. Uh, nobody satisfied. So I don't doubt not a second that we'll reach that goal, just because you know, mishaps and stuff like that happened in those playoff games that we can that we shouldn't, that we could have did better basically, and you know this next year you learn from those mistakes. And honestly, yesterday, rather good or bad, doesn't really matter. So it's always about the next day. That whoever won a Super Bowl, you know what I mean, it's remembered to send the history books, but it's history, so you know, work starts and then we'll see who who gets that trophy at the end of his season.
Speaker 1: All right, there's our conversation with Ejspeed and that conversation is part of a video that will be going up on YouTube Houston Texans dot com soon enough. Can't say when? Soon enough? How's that for a release date promotion? And also Texans Playbook, the TV show that you should be watching Saturday nights at eleven pm, ten thirty five during the season. There will be a quiz on this later. You got to know when all these Texans shows are on. My goodness, before you know it, we'll be back to it training camp, preseason games.
Speaker 2: I can't wait.
Speaker 1: Look, we have a few things to do before that, including the NFL Annual Meeting next week aka the Owners Meet. I'm gonna be out there. Our shows will originate from out there in Phoenix. It's gonna be fun. That's gonna do it for tonight. Another show tomorrow at six Area forty five coming your way next. Have a great evening, Go Texans.