Speaker 1: Hey guys, this is Greg Rosenthal for NFL Daily. You'll notice no intro. What's going on is because we already taped the intro. We taped the whole show. We taped three different parts of the show. I got Jordan Rodrig coming up. I got Nick Shouk coming up. I got Stacey Dale's talking about the Bears. But I am growing increasingly insane, wanting to get every bit of news possible into this show. And we had breaking news on CD Lamb not reporting for Dallas Cowboys training camp. He did not get on the Cowboys playing on Tuesday over to the West Coast and Oxnard. He is not showing up, and I want to make sure that was in the show. Cowboys can't be surprised letting it get this close. They've been here before, by the way, Zach Martin held out a couple of years ago. Ezekiel Elliott had a really long holdout you'll remember in twenty nineteen that didn't end till the season almost started. It doesn't seem like this Ceedee Lamb contract is particularly close at this point, but he will not be there. It is not devastating for the Cowboys to be missing a wide receiver during training camp. It is not the same as if Matthew Stafford had missed training camp for the Rams. We'll get to that later in the show, but it is still a reminder of how much work this Cowboys team has to do in the next couple of weeks. Between Lamb, maybe Dak Michael Parsons is going to need a contract extension at some point and Cede Lamb should not accept anything less than justin Jefferson money, whether it's more, whether it's a little bit less, He's going to be in that ballpark. So Cowboys camp starting off on an annoying note, but they love the attention, even if it's negative attention, and the Cowboys seems like they've had plenty of that this offseason. A lot to get to on today's show, and now I'm going to send it over to myself and start off this show with Nick Schuk to get to all the news. All the teams are back on the practice field. It really feels like the NFL season started on Tuesday. And excited to have you aboard. Welcome to NFL Daily, where we would not look better blonde. I'm Greg Rosenthal and beyond lucky today to be joined by my friend Nick Shook of NFL dot Com NFL Network, and he misses the days when he had hair to potentially color. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Fun fact, Greg, when I was like six years old, I have a picture from my dad's wedding to my former stepmom. I had flowing locks, blonde hair. It was nicely quaffed for the wedding. I was in at tux but at one point it went down to my shoulders. So I'm bald now, but it was in the past.
Speaker 1: It there. I don't know if you could pull off the platinum look that Joe Burrow did on the way into training camp. But you gotta love a young man who can like make national news just by changing his hair color. I'm punt. I just feel different today, Nick. Twenty three teams showed up to work on Tuesday for training camp. Really feels like it's all happening. It started. There's a lot of news that happened today, and so we are going to get to all of it. We're also going to talk about the Matthew Stafford contract adjustment and whether there might be a little bit more to the story there with one of our great contributors, Jordan Rodrieg of the Athletic also going to do a deep dive on the Bears, who have been in camp now for more than a week or almost a week there in Chicago, and we'll do that at the end of the show. But before we do that, Nick, let's roll through the news. Hit it Randy Jews Okay, outside of that like one hour where it looked like Matthew Stafford might be holding out, Nick, I think the most interesting news today we're the players that showed up. Let's start with Brandon Ayuk and t a tongue of iloa off the bat. Brandon Ayuk, we've talked about how he requested a trade, but he is there in training camp. We don't know yet if it's going to be a hold in, but it's definitely not a hold out. John Lynch, the GM, was asked at a press conference on Tuesday whether he could guarantee that Ayuk stays on this roster.
Speaker 3: I think again, no absolutes there. We fully intend on Brandon being a Niner moving forward. We're always open to listen to things, but like I said, we expect Brandon to be an integral part of our team like he has been and excited about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting that he won't say that he won't trade him, leaving that door open. I mean that to me is very purposeful. I don't think he expects to trade him. I think they want to have him there, but I think they don't know how this is going to go, and they're leaving the door just a little bit open in case someone wants to come with a real deal offer that I doubt has happened so far.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think both sides are kind of feeling each other out. It Neither is really handling this the most graciously. The fact that Ayuke showed up I was a little bit surp And the one thing you do is you never speak in absolutes until you couch everything. I'm not going to go in absolutes. You know he will be on the team because you get the Godfather offer and you're like, all right, we're gonna move on. Like if there's something you can't turn down, then you obviously take that offer. But I just don't think that exists right now, and we don't live in a world like you know you had talked about with Ian last week, where you know there's a one for one deal like you know him for DeVonta Adams, who says no, that doesn't really exist, so it's going to be complicated to move him. I do expect him to eventually be on that roster, but I don't think they really understand exactly where they are in negotiations right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there'll be more on this on Wednesday. Will see if he practices. I doubt it, but I also said on Monday show that I expected Jordan Love would practice and was immediately wrong. So it's dangerous to make guesses on news that can change to a toungo Bylois showed up, not a surprise to me. Tyreek Hill was also there, and that one's been on my radar that he wants a new contract. He talked about the one thing he wanted to get across to his agent Drew Rosenhause on Tuesday.
Speaker 4: Yes, I had no idea. Obviously, I let Drew and you know, the team handled that situation. And the only thing I told Drew was like, do not get me traded. Bro, Last time you needed this, you got me traded. So that's been my only thing.
Speaker 2: Team.
Speaker 4: I'm like, if I I want to stay here in Miami.
Speaker 1: Man, Yeah, I would want to stay in Miami if I was him too, with Mike McDaniel and in that city. It's tricky though. You kind of can't pay tyreek Hill until you pay to a tongue of Ailoa. And it wasn't at our network. But I've just seen some cautious reporting about that they might not be that close and that there might be a belief if I'm reading between the lines from the Dolphins that look like, unlike these other quarterbacks, there might not be a sixty million dollars per year offer out there for Tua from other teams, so that the Dolphs actually feel they might have a little more leverage than other teams in this situation. That was Jeff Darlington that said that I should I should credit him our former co worker, just a little different on this vibe than all the other quarterback talks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know this, this one feels like the Dolphins are hesitant, and I think a lot of it is because of market value, like you said, and it's also you know, yeah, he led the league in passing last year, but he's also only completed one season fully healthy, and there's just a little bit less to work with if he's your guy, you pay him. But I understand the hesitancy and how you're trying to react to a quarterback market that just continues to balloon and waiting it out. It feels like this one might actually go on pretty long, which could hold up everything else. But then again, if you look at Tyreek how much you know, how are you really going to pay him? When we talked about this, you know on a previous show, there are only so many shiny toys in that toy room that you can pay, you know, over time. And if you're gonna give a ton of money to the quarterback, then somebody's gonna have to suffer the consequences. So it's I think they're in a bit of a holding pattern right now, so we'll see how it plays out well.
Speaker 1: And they just gave him a ton of money two years ago, and the CBA rules are such you can just always keep renegotiating, and that contract starts to look pretty good after a couple of years, just because faut salaries go up. So it's a tricky spot with him a few years away from free agency. It doesn't sound to me, though, that he is going to raise a big stink And maybe he'll get the Amari Cooper deal. We're gonna get to him in a second, where you just get like a little bit of a re you get something out of the deal for being a pain. Hassan Redick's situation is different, though he is holding out of training camp. There just have not been been many holdouts since this new CBA was signed, because you can get fined heavily and it really increases quickly where you're losing a lot of money. Hassan Reddick is due to make fourteen point five million dollars per year. I want to read something from Rich Samini, who's one of the best Jets reporters out there. He works for ESPN. He wrote. At the time of the trade, the Jets were quote under the impression that Reddick, who turns thirty on September twenty second, was content to play out the final year of his contract and hit free agency. There may have been a miscommunication or perhaps Reddick changed his mind. Either way, it was an odd look for both sides. I've never seen this a guy that gets traded and then is immediately upset with the team. And you hate to say, same old Jets, but it just is like this is not something they were expecting coming into the year, that this is the bit of drama that they have to deal with.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a bummer too, because he's part of a defense that's ferocious and it's the ideal piece to really take them to the next level. But he's also nineteenth and apy right now, and he's in the final year of his deal, and he's thirty years old, so if he's going to cash in, it's got to be right now. So I understand the sense of urgency from him. But usually when you see these deals happen, you see extensions immediately follow the fact that we're seeing the opposite as training camp starts again falls under the umbrella of Jets just not quite handling the situation the best.
Speaker 1: It just sounds it says there may have been a miscommunication, so the Jet just reading between the lines with that reporting. The Jets thought they were good for whatever reason, because he was not happy in Philadelphia. That's really why they made the move to get Bryce Huff from the Jets who replaced Hassan Reddick. I talked to someone in Philadelphia, not with a team, just a reporter that was like it was a deal. It was a deal last year. It affected Hassan Reddick. He was not happy and I don't know if it affected his play, but they knew he wasn't happy. And now the Jets are dealing with that same situation. You're Brownies won't have to worry about that though, at least not with the Mari Cooper, who you know has earned his money and then some I would say with the Browns, that was an excellent move by Andrew Berry and he did show up and they didn't even give him a raise. They just gave him five million dollars in incentives. The whether that's reachable incentives or not, we don't really know at this point. The details aren't out there. And that's sometimes what you do with these veterans. You just tack like a little bit of incentives on when they don't really have much leverage, and it makes them happy enough. In a mar Cooper is in the building and they need in the building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we talk about leverage. I think about his position. I mean, he is the most important receiver on that team by a long shot. This is another season in which they don't know what they have in Deshaun Watson. He needs that guy out there. I thought he was going to get more out of it. I thought he at least get another year. The fact that he just got five million incentives and he got ten million up front, I mean that was a serious concession on a Marii's part to get to camp. I mean, I was very surprised by that, because he's another guy thirty years old. That's usually the marque's the last time you can really cash in on a multi year deal. So to you know, see that he only got half of it up front, ten million out of that twenty everything else is the same, and you can earn five million more. I mean, he's been super productive, and I give him that. He could probably hit some of those incentives. We don't know what they are, but I was just surprised. I thought he'd get more.
Speaker 1: Up Yeah, if I had to guess, what happened was they just were not going to give him guaranteed money or give him a fair contract into next year. The whole idea of like, oh we're guaranteeing him this salary. You don't need to do that already, he's making the team. It's guaranteed. Once you're on the team week one, you get it. Ten million dollars right now instead of spread out. Some people like that. You get the money quicker, you can invest it quicker. Who knows. Maybe he's buying a house. That's nice. But if they weren't going to give him a fair multi year extension, he might prefer Okay, forget it. I want to get back on the market. But it's not like they promise not to tag him or anything like that. So he'll be motivated to have a big time year. I'm sure he will. I just I know he hasn't been the most consistent player, but when he is out there, he has been awesome. And he was almost underrated how good he was last year. Yeah, for Cleveland, let's go to their division rivals. Mike Brown talked about the Jamar Chase contract, and let's listen to it because I think there's a couple directions we could go. But let's parse some. Mike Brown talking before the season.
Speaker 5: He's a key player next to Joe, he's our next one, and he knows that we know it. This may take a while. They are going to bend over backwards to get it done. I can't tell you when though.
Speaker 1: Okay, So that was the positive part. If you're a Bengals fan, and that's what they latched onto. Later in that same press conference, he did indicate it's hard for him to imagine that contract happening before this season, and that was the quote that got sent out a lot by the national reporters, and then the Bengals fans are mad and they're like, oh, why are you trying to make it sound like same old Bengals When he said he's gonna bend over backwards and the truth is somewhere in the middle. That indicated to me and Jamar Chase being happy indicated to me like, it'll probably, it'll it'll be fine. But he's also saying I'm not going to negotiate essentially with in camp or in the regular seats like other teams do that. So if you were really bending over backwards, you could do that, and other teams make sure to lock up their receiver this season in a year early instead of going into a contract the year having like a Ceedee Lamb situation. We see it with Justin Jefferson. So he's not exactly bending over backwards, and the people that are saying, okay, it's it's always a little more complicated with the Bengals. I think there's some truth to that too. That said, I just think they've telegraphed it's probably Chase happening. Higgins not, and hopefully for Bengals fans, they end for Joe Burrow, they get it done eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly. I think this deal gets done next year early next year. They have the protection of his you know, one more year left in his contract. They don't need to be in a rush. I don't think that he gets to a contract year situation. The riding was on the wall as soon as they tagged T Higgins and didn't sign him do an extension. He's the only player who was franchised tagged this offseason who did not sign an extension. We know what that means. Joe Burrow already got paid. Jamar Chase's next We're just not going to do it right now. But he has an integral part of our offense and of our future. The only question I have Greg, does he exceed thirty five million the year that Justin Jefferson got, Because if he has a huge year this year, then he's going to.
Speaker 1: Yes. Although the you know, the Bengals, Joe Burrow, they got to him to take just like a little bit less than the other guys. It wasn't much if he really looked at the structure. He obviously did extremely well, but just just a little bit less. So maybe he doesn't go over that. And to be fair to the Bengals, I pointed out justin Jefferson, he got drafted a year before Chase, of course, so that same contract did not happen until the following year. And you're right, it's going to cost a little more in a year. But the Bengals sound like they're ready to do it. And yeah, I mentioned at the top Joe Burrow with the hair, what did you think little Eminem? You know, Eminem, I saw number one on the Billboard charts. It's in twenty twenty four. How about that? And then Joe Burrow with the homage to Eminem today with the platinum hair.
Speaker 2: As soon as I saw it, I just thought, man, I have your attention please. It's the ninety nine VMA is all over again, Eminem and like fifty guys, all his blonde hair and he's walking into camp.
Speaker 1: I love I love that Joe. He was very outspoken LSU. He's a different sort of dude. And he has not let go of that at all. We can only hope he is healthy this year because like he makes the NFL so much better. A couple things before we get to our speed round just quickly, the nfl PA, their director, spoke to Mark Maski of The Washington Post talking about eighteen game and making that part of every regular season, and he said there's been very very very used three varies, high level, superficially with a recognition about, yeah, this is something we should be talking about. So he was asked if there has been talked and we should really kick the tires and understand what else is going to go into it, But he also pointed out he's not ruling it out. He said, the simple fact of the matter, when you have a growing enterprise and there's opportunities within that period of time, why wouldn't you want to do that. So it sounds like the players are open to it. The devil will be in the details.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it'll be in the details. But you know, we know the NFL loves to make everything a tent pole event. They love to capitalize on their you know, ever continuing growth. So I think this is an inevitable result of that.
Speaker 1: Growth. I thought you were saying they're going to make the CBA negotiations for eighteen games like a new tentpole event, like we'll do some programming.
Speaker 2: We'll have a special, we'll talk about the whole instead of coverage for it. My only question is, if you go to eighteen games, do you work in two buys because that is a grind of a season.
Speaker 1: Yes, I think you should. I think the players will want that. And again that's the details. And for all you out there who don't know the CBA details, and why would you you have football, it's not up till twenty thirty one, So any eighteen game season if that happened, if they tried to agree to that, they'd have to rip up the deal. They'd have to make some adjustments. I'm sure the players would want some concessions, maybe a higher share of revenue, but it really feels like there is momentum there. They would get rid of a preseason game almost certainly. Roger Goodell has mentioned that, so that story continues to move forward. Finally, Tyson Campbell, when a guy signs a four year, seventy six million dollar contract, I just put him in the news. I know, not a lot of people know about Tyson Campbell, but Nick Schuck does because he knows about every team.
Speaker 2: Yeah, baby, And I was thinking, I'm like, yeah, that makes sense. And then I thought, well, actually, let's go look at his numbers. And last year he was not very good, but he was dealing with a hamstring injury for the majority of the season, and anybody's ever had a hamstring injury knows those are nagging. They don't heal quickly. It can hamper you, especially when speed is the name of your game. The year prior he had a great twenty twenty two. He finished in the top five and targeted EPA allowed. His number was in waylow, which is good when you're a defensive back. It shot in the other direction last year because he was hampered by that injury. This is a contract that you're doing before the anticipated bounce back season so that you're not paying an even higher premium next year. So good on the Jaguars for betting on a guy that they believe in second round pick. You already have the investment there, makes a ton of sense. Now he's just got to go out and produce and prove that he was worth it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love it because he is a really good player. A couple of years ago, I think they learned from the Josh Allen now josh heinz Allen situation where they waited a year on to give him his contract and they ended up paying a lot more. And you just the most important thing you can do as a team is identify who are your guys, the guys that you're going to be paying out three four years. He got guarantees into the third year of this contract, and I think they did a good job there.
Speaker 2: That's also that's a that's a rare instance in which hyphenation really helps everybody. Usually just complicates matters. But with two prominent josh Allen's in the NFL, I appreciate the hyphenation of heinz Allen. So that now when I write, I don't have to write Josh Allen the edge rusher, Josh Allen the quarterback, So thank you.
Speaker 1: So was he always Joshua because he's now Joshua Hindellen's Josh Allen. Okay, so now it's changed on multiple friends, and more power to him. And good job by the jogguars. All Right, Randy, hit the music, We're going fast. Other players reporting to camp on Tuesday, Courtland Sutton of the Broncos, Alvin Kamara of the Saints.
Speaker 2: Alvin Kamara probably gonna stay quiet on the matter. I understand his position, but it's good that he's there because this is a big year for the Saints offensively, after that offense struggled. You know, statistically they're actually better than you realize, but visually it was a tough watch. So it's good that he's there. He's an important part of that offense. In Courtland Sutton, just just stay healthy and stay on the field and try and figure it out with your newest quarterback, whoever it is. With the Broncos. Let's just see if John Payton can make it all work.
Speaker 1: All right, they're splitting reps to that point, the Broncos between three quarterbacks to start camp. I g that never is great. It's Bo Nix, It's Jared Stidham, and it's our friend Zach Wilson. The Dolphin sign. Emmanuel Ogba mentioned a couple of shows ago how Shaq Barrett retired Agbah gets five million dollars, was the best pass rusher available, so that makes sense. He might be starting in Week one. He probably is for them. They're so banged up. They also put Odell Beckham on the pup list. Not a great sign there. Kadarius Tony is playing running back in practice.
Speaker 5: No, Greg.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I understand trying to get the football Canaria is Tony's hands. He's a great athlete and everything, but he's also not the most resilient physically. I fear the idea of Kadarius Tony running between the tackles. That's not the Chiefs offense, but it just scares me. Maybe you get him out on the perimeter, a little orbit motion, that type of thing, and it makes sense.
Speaker 1: But they got a chance, a chance to make the team, Shooky, it's his chance to make the team. He might not. Lamar Jackson was out for a fourth Street Day with an illness. Jacobe Brissett is the starter with the Patriots according to their coach Drod Mayo, but Drake may could absolutely play his way into being the starter week one if he outplays Perssett and camp Mayo said it's not about like hitting certain benchmarks or like whether whether may is ready. He's just like, if he outplays Perset, he'll be a Week one starter. I don't think they want that to happen. Chase Brown, a lot of Chase Brown hype, has the opportunity to be the guy in Cincinnati. According to Duke Tobyn, what do you think about that? Yeah, that's strange.
Speaker 2: I mean, you know, they got rid of Joe Mixon and they were like, all right, we're gonna go Zack Moss. Yeah, this is it. And I looked at that backward and I thought, committee is somebody else gonna pick up some of the slacks.
Speaker 1: So we'll see what happens. And I like Chase Brown. I like Chase Brown. That it probably will be a committee Zach Moss, Chase Brown. But it does show that they like Chase Brown quite a bit. And finally, Antonio Pierce, the latest coach to join the UR starters, will play in the preseason brigade. Yeah, it's kind of happening all over the league. At least a handful of teams are like, we're gonna play start as Drodmeyo was another one. I feel like it's almost a pushback to the trend that's been happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're facing a future in which you might have one less preseason game. These guys need tune ups. These are not the days of old with two A days, so let's get them some reps.
Speaker 4: Why not?
Speaker 1: That's it chooky light work for you. This is like when you go to the gym and you just don't have time. Does that ever happen to you? Or I when you just make it happen and you're just like, I'm gonna do thirty minutes just on my thighs or I don't know.
Speaker 2: That's why I pound out some quick cardio and then I run.
Speaker 1: Through shoulders real quick and it's just in and out. So light work for Shook today. He is going on a well deserved couple days off coming up, So enjoy it, my friend, and we will get to you next week. And we're going to get to Jordan Rodrieg of the Athletic right after the break to talk a little Matthew Stafford back on NFL Daily. It's Jordan rodrig of the Athletic and a surprise appearance. Look, we didn't know, Jordans that the Rams were going to make news today, but you were there when the news was being made and I thought you had a great perspective on it, and so wanted to get you on. We're actually going to start for the first time ever in the history of NFL Daily with an appearance by a previous version of our guests before the actual guest. So listen to Jordan Rodrieg doing real reporter stuff at a press conference earlier today talking to Sean McVay about this Matthew Stafford contract adjustment.
Speaker 6: So it's just just to be clear, respectfully, just so what it was.
Speaker 7: There was some financial commentent, but also there were additional things you guys wanted to talk.
Speaker 8: Through, and there's a lot of layers to these things, Shortan, and I think you know that as well. And what I here's what I would say, I would prefer and I totally respect and understand. Just there's a lot of layers to it. There was a lot of conversations in dialogue, some of which, you know, maybe was somewhat close, some of which was really far off. And so all I really cared about was what I heard from him. What was important that Jimmy communicated to our group and then we were able to get it solved with less Kevin Tony and myself, and that I am grateful for.
Speaker 1: Muh, just kind of a weird press conference, weird day with the rams weird, right, the actual transaction shouldn't be that weird, Like Matthew Stafford wanted more money, and we don't have all the details, but I believe you're reporting at the Athletic has that there is more guaranteed money into future years of his contract and the devil will be in the details there. That's that's not strange. But even your question there that Sean McVay referred to it wasn't all about the money. What was your takeaway with that?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I was so when this situation started unfolding many months ago. I guess that answer doesn't necessarily surprise me. Although openly talking about how it wasn't necessarily all financially related or admitting that it wasn't all financially related. In terms of how the conversations unfolded, he made some allusions and references to previous situations, and he even talked about, you know, previous failures that he had gone through, And I wondered for a minute if that was potentially talking about some of the lack of communication that is very much on the record about having happened between himself and Jared Goff before or he traded Jared goff and so I think wanting to avoid that this time around. You know, this situation dragged on. Obviously they weren't ever talking about, you know, that drastic of a move, but in terms of this contract adjustment, you know, wanting to make sure that, even on something that you would think is relatively simple like this, that you're communicating very clearly, and there were just I think some things that they needed to hammer out and clear up. I think that you have two people who are you know, similar in age and in you know, status and importance in that building in terms of what they feel they contribute and what they feel, you know, kind of is necessary and how to have that ecosystem work. And I also think that one of them is kind of revisiting his career in a way where he's thinking, you know, I'm going to be a coach for a lot longer now, and another one is really thinking about, Okay, how much longer am I going to do this? And my impression from the very jump of this In April, when Ian Rappaport was the first to report that Matthew Stafford was looking for more guarantees on his existing contract, which Sean mcvayh confirmed that that reporting was accurate.
Speaker 9: You know he was. To me, it was a signal almost like Matthew felt.
Speaker 7: So good to this is my opinion, and kind of me reading the tea leaves not just of Sean sort of wanting to make sure he didn't let past failures and communication lapses sneak into current and existing relationships, but also on the other side of it, Matthew Stafford maybe sending a signal out there saying I'm going to be that dude for more years than all the rest of you, not just Rams, but the rest of the league maybe thinks I'm going to be because of the year that he had in twenty twenty three where he was significantly, you know, in the top seven, top five quarterback play week after week and did elevate that roster so significantly. But I think it's important too to remember in something like this when you're talking not just about the financials.
Speaker 9: Some of it is financial.
Speaker 7: I mean, the quarterback market has inflated, and Matthew Stafford, you know, who played the way that he played, he wasn't.
Speaker 9: He fell to like eleven or twelve.
Speaker 7: In terms of average annual And while that can be skewed a little bit because he did make it like what sixty five million over the course of one calendar year. At one point the guarantees just maybe weren't quite where they were. There's fifteen of twenty seven million guaranteed in twenty twenty five, but none guaranteed in twenty twenty six, and so fixing that, correcting that probably was a part of the mission, but also clearing up some of the language around that was probably part of the mission as well. When Sean McVay was addressing communication errors and just different types of things and clearing up like he said, you know that he didn't want people, he didn't want to think that people were not accurate, but things did need to clear up, be cleared up between sort of the narrative around this entire situation, which I found.
Speaker 1: To me, I'm not that clear. I'm not that clear nocause what is it their relationship? I thought it was just what's interesting that you said, maybe it's a signal to the league, not just the RAMS but also the RAMS that he believes he can get play at a high level for a long time, and maybe he did not want to be in this year to year situation. But the contract that he got guaranteed fifteen million in twenty twenty five. That sort of slicing it down the middle where I don't know that.
Speaker 7: Was to be clear, that was the previous That was the previous contract. So the point of this is that the new will should it should according to an everything I've heard so far, we don't have the official details. That's how frenetic this came together when they realized they didn't actually know a lot of the people in the building didn't actually know whether he was going to show up this more recording this on Tuesday morning. They didn't know whether he was going to show up to camp or not, or whether he was actually he could potentially actually have been, you know, committing to a holdout and so getting this done. I mean, Sean may Faye was scheduled to talk at nine point thirty this morning, to the point where the team even started playing the live stream of the lectern and he just wasn't there. And so then obviously that's when I texted you, Greg and I was like, Hey, we're going to get ramps news today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he didn't. He didn't show up for three more hours, and it did have a happy ending and I guess because of the guaranteed money, it seems that he would be there in twenty twenty five barring anything crazy. Right, he has had his injury history, and that hangs over all of this as it's a commendment thing too.
Speaker 7: Twenty twenty six, previously not having now I'm doing taking a You're being a great mentor to me, Greg, because I totally.
Speaker 9: Just cut you off just now.
Speaker 1: That's great if you have the right if it's the right time for it, don't wait.
Speaker 7: So that twenty twenty six, Previously having no guaranteed money, specifically in twenty twenty six of a twenty six million dollar base salary. That's like a mercenary type of vibe there, Like if you think you're going to be playing, you know, un till near forty and maybe even beyond that. And that's just again that's the tea leaves I'm reading from this whole thing. Wanting that guaranteed money, then you're not going to be wanting to play on a mercenary type of deal. I mean that's basically one year, nothing guaranteed, and then you want commitment from the team that has previously positioned you as the star.
Speaker 9: The franchise quarterback who made.
Speaker 7: A documentary about you in the off season. I mean, it just feels like some of the things that Sean McVeigh was commenting on a bit openly about the non financials had to do more so of like communicating needs and wants in.
Speaker 9: A very simple and straightforward way.
Speaker 1: Frankly, does it change and we'll wrap on this. I do appreciate you coming on how you think about Stafford's future with the Rams, because that to me was it wasn't the takeaway from today, but it was just like, oh, this is something to watch maybe in a little more than I thought. You know that Dak Prescott could be out there next year, like who knows? Does this just put the Stafford in Rams relationship a little bit more on your radar, ironically on a day where they're committing to him financially more.
Speaker 7: I think if he would have held out, then that would have been a significantly more dramatic story because there are roster casualties that happen all across the ecosystem.
Speaker 9: If a quarterback who.
Speaker 7: Does lift the roster as much as Matthew does holds out, then you're not You can't get your offense off the ground and they don't have reliable backup play because Jimmy Garoppolo would be you know, suspended for the first two games of the season if the holdout potentially extended. So I would have probably been more concerned or more flagged about that. I just think that it's really interesting that Sean McVay again reiterated the importance of communication and said he thinks and the other thing that I flagged a little bit was that he thinks that he and Matthew's relationship is better for having undertaken the situation. But again, like I can't emphasize enough, like all of this happened Tuesday morning, over the course of three hours. Again, so it's like, you know, the deadline. They seem to very at that point, very much take the deadline seriously and potentially avoided a fracture down the line because they're able to get in a room, you know, get in a room and talk talk about again simple wants and needs and just wanted to I did just get it to. Just wanted to clarify too. Adjusted contact adjusted contract means adjusted contract.
Speaker 9: Don't really know.
Speaker 7: What it's going to look like in terms of year over year guarantees. But it does seem like some of the existing guarantees and then maybe a bump in some of those existing guarantees will be moved and reallocated over different courses of the contract.
Speaker 1: Okay, we will look for that. And yeah, just a little surprised, little little extra something.
Speaker 7: On this getting spicy too, Greg throwing out, thrown out a name, thrown out another name in the mix here?
Speaker 1: Oh why not? Let's I've been saying it on this podcast. Let's get a little more NBA like we can spend half the season if like Stafford, like the team is struggling a little bit, I could see it. It's like Paul George and Clippers, will we leave Willy not that's we need more of that. I feel like in the NFL, and there's no bigger names than you could have them Dak and Stafford. Maybe they could flip spots. I don't think it's got to happen, but just a little fun addition to our Tuesday show. Thank you, Jordan, little extra Jordan on this week. And yeah, you're you're off and running now. Training camp is training camping.
Speaker 9: I'm off in sweating actually is more like it.
Speaker 6: So it's good.
Speaker 9: I think the longer the more I'm awake, the bigger my hair expands.
Speaker 1: So I love it all right, We'll see you next time in the studio after the break, I talked to the great Stacey Dales about the Chicago Bears back after this Welcome back to NFL Daily. It's Olympics week, and so we brought on the only Olympian I know personally that Stacy Dale's former number three overall pick in the w NBA Oklahoma Hall of Famer. Does it disgust you, Stacey, to work with so many people that are so much less athletic than you, like myself?
Speaker 6: A discuss is discussed is a strong word. Greg. I don't think I would go there. But you're also aging me a little bit, so thank you for that.
Speaker 1: How did I do that?
Speaker 6: As my dogs come in the room?
Speaker 1: How did I age you? I did not say when you played in the Olympics. I did not say when you were the number three overall pick. I just pointed out that you are an athlete covering great athletes, and then you got to talk to someone like myself supposedly on an equal level. And if I were you, I would just be thinking like give me a break. I was big time.
Speaker 6: Come on, Yeah, I mean I set the standard. I mean, what else can I say?
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 6: I think it's because of all the injuries that I've had post career from all those years ago. But it was incredible. Olympic Week is amazing. It's amazing because there's no greater plat, there's no greater galvanizing global experience uniformly that is so positive than the Olympics. And it's the best of the best. I mean, so for me, it's incredible, and it was incredible, and it's an incredible week to watch and kind of follow.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that must have been, like of all the things you've done in your career, that has to be up there just as a cool experience. It's a really cool experience for me to just have you on this show. We're gonna talk about bears, and I will point out for anyone that's watching on YouTube that it's not just your dog, Rudy. Now back there on the couch. You got both dogs. We got both dogs hanging out and they're beautiful.
Speaker 6: I got more during the pandemic. Greg. Okay, so Blue, she's eighty pounds eighty plus and she likes to take over the bench and their sisters and Ruby is the oldest to her, I have another one who's older. But people liked my dogs more during the pandemic because of the whole home camera thing than my actual NFL reporting, So go figure.
Speaker 1: Why not both? You know, the eye candy and then the info and you had you were at Bear's camp on Tuesday as we're recording this, and you've gotten to see one of the most fascinating teams in the NFL. I finally am happy. I'm sure you are too, as someone that lives nearby that the Bears are actually as interesting as the amount of attention that they get nationally because they always get attention, they always get primetime games. But now with Caleb Williams and a lot of optimism, what is your feel And you've spent time with them this off season about how Caleb's adapting. We're about four days into camp for them. They have not started practicing in pads yet, and then more specifically kind of like what they're building for him, like what kind of offense and what they want to accomplish with him in his rookie year.
Speaker 6: Yeah. Greg, So, by the way, kudos to the Bears for sending Jonathan Owens while not sending him, but you mentioned to start this thing off with the Olympics to watch his wife Simone Biles, which is you know, I'm Canadian and Americans, so I'm rooting for her.
Speaker 1: Congrats. By the way, a new American citizen is that.
Speaker 6: Yes, And she's the greatest of all time. So that's just a cool storyline. But there's so many with the Bears, Greg, it's the best roster we've seen in totality in Chicago and at a point where I can't actually remember. I mean the last time they had a total think about the offense along Greg, the last time they had had a total you know, top five I think it was scoring offense and top five total offense was in the J. Coulor days in I think twenty thirteen.
Speaker 1: And good team. That was a decent team.
Speaker 6: It was it was they had a couple of good receivers, a good running back and cutt he could throw the ball a little bit. This is different though. This is there's a positivity being at practice, There's a there's an energy. I really think this defense is the best part of the whole group. Like they are spectacular and I say that hesitantly because the receiving corps is spectacular. To watch the ball come out of Caleb's hands, and he was so good today you talk about one day they're not in pads. He can change his platform in a moment's notice the way he's with his arm angles, and that coupled with his eyes and his ability to see the field in the in the amount of time of quarterback STAPs of football, it's unbelievable what they're able to do. That's why your offensive line has to be really the stal word of what you do, right, Greg, But you're talking three seconds, maybe four if you're lucky, to really figure out and navigate where your reads are one, two, three, boom, boom, boom, and then find the right one. He'll take the check down, he'll hit the long down as I would as I would say, I mean, he's going to do it all.
Speaker 1: Yeah. To me, his his tape was so fascinating to watch because I think he was more mature than people gave him credit for. For all the big playmaking that he tried to do in this last season, keeping up with a bad defense and overcoming a bad offensive line. Maybe really not great skill position players either he barely put the harm ball in harms away like there were not many interceptions. There were not many near interceptions. He made good decisions. It actually makes me think, And I don't know how much RPO stuff they're doing here at camp. They did a lot of RPOs in college. He's so good throwing to the left. I can't remember a prospect or almost any quarterback a right hand or being able to throw to the left. And you're right, he has a great feel that he almost reminds me a little bit of a tennis player. Sometimes tennis players like a Roger Fetter is a good example on Jibor would be another one. When they have so many tricks in their bag, when they have so many different things they can do, it can actually take them a little while to figure out what they should focus on and when to use what trick or what club in the bag. And I do wonder with him, do you get a feel from him or the Bears, like, what are the focuses for this rookie season.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think you're going to see a lot of motion and that's part of going to be part of his development. The number one thing they tried to figure out this offseason with him is the cadence and delivering the play call and getting the play call and delivering it to the huddle because he didn't have to do that in college. I mean, he wasn't required to be in command of you know, X, ABC, D, E, F G, X, Y and Z like like all of that, all of that goes into one call to make sure everybody's on the same page. He's now having to do. I can tell you that when he left from the mini camp phase to now the training camp phase. So what is that roughly a.
Speaker 1: Month, uh, six weeks.
Speaker 6: There's palpable improvement. I mean, and everybody told said told me that, and everybody publicly denoted that, including head coach Matt Eberflus. You know when you mentioned like the RPOs and stuff. I watched him today just again call it on air. Right, we're not in pads, but just just a simple play action, you know, walk through kind of routine drill that they were doing. The way he contorts his body and is able to change on an angle. Right, So he comes like you're saying, to the left, Greg, he comes out to the left, he rolls out to the left, and he's able to just kind of cider on that thing and get his body in a very controlled, yet contorted position. And that is important stuff. Patrick Mahomes does that kind of stuff right, And the best part about it all is his willing to work, his willingness to work his fixation. As I've talked to his coach, his former coach, Lincoln Riley about on his air, his his you know, things that he's not perfect at or you know, challenges for him or things that didn't go right, mistakes that he's made. He is a grinder now. So it's like anything right you might mentioned federer if you are that gifted athletically and you do the things necessary fundamentally to become and enhance those athletic traits and innate abilities and enhance them to become this total package. Now you're talking like special stuff. And so I think that's what they fell in love with, and his personality has backed it all up here in Chicago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the over underwin total, you know, projected in the Desert is eight and a half, which is the highest they've had since since twenty nineteen. And that's it's mostly about him, it's a little bit it's also about the defense and how they finished out last year, and I know everyone's excited about the receivers around Caleb Williams, Keenan Allen. I was worried. I saw he wasn't practicing today, but then they said it was a veteran day. It was like, Okay, great, Yeah, Roma Dunze is out there practicing. We know how good Dj Moore is. Tyler Scott's made some practice, so I'm not worried about that. I will get to my concerns in a bit, but I want to talk to the defense because that has been the identity of this team. I think they've built up that secondary. Like to me, that's if you want to see Matt Eberflus, you know Ryan Pols, their stamp on the team. It's that defense where they give Jalen Johnson all that money. Tyreek Stevenson's been good, Jakwan brisk or Kyler Gordon, that's their identity. They have to be special. I thought Jalen Johnson was interesting this week saying he's kind of sick of hearing about the potential of this team and now it's action time. And I do wonder what you think about that, because like there is a lot of expectation on this team to be good right away, but it is a rookie quarterback, and I do think there are some issues with this team that maybe aren't the case with Green Bay and in Detroit in the same division. So how do you bow how do you think they're going to balance that all this attention hard knocks higher expectations with the reality that it is a rookie quarterback. And I you know, I don't see them as some playoff type of favorite. I mean I don't, and so can they handle that?
Speaker 6: No, Well, if I want to Before I answer that, I want to come back to what you said, you think that maybe Detroit and Green Bay we have the upper edge. I'm curious to know.
Speaker 1: Why line play that. That would be where I start, you know, on both sides of the ball. I think I always look when you're looking for surprise teams, good or bad, who has the best combined offensive line defensive And I think that's probably where Chicago's the weakest on both sides of the ball, And so that really worries me. I think you pop under the hood in some of the numbers, like FDN Almanac, which is done by Aaron Shatz, used to be football outsiders, like their main protection for the Bears was six point five and partly I think because of that line play, partly because the defense improved so much down the stretch. They were thirtieth in the first half of the year sixth in the second. You can say, yeah, they brought in Mantes sweat, but a lot of that is interceptions. Can you keep the defense at that high a level? And yeah, I just think Green Bay and Detroit are more talented and they're better upfront, and they've done it before. Then they have proven coaches too. Like everyone wants to all focus on how last year ended for eber Flus, but I think that the year and a half before matters too, And so I think eight and a half is a perfectly fine over under. That sounds about right, that they're about eight or nine wins, But that's not making it to the playoffs, Like you know, that's all I'm saying.
Speaker 6: No, this is a fascinating conversation because one one would argue that if you look at Detroit and what they accomplished, right, they went to the NFC Championship game. I was there at that game. They lost to San Francisco, who went on to the Super Bowl. What happened to them in the second half. They couldn't stop rock Perty, They couldn't stop the forty nine ers offensively. The big question for them is is this going to be the year with all the talent they added defensively, including the youngsters to the back end of their defense, you know, guys like Terry and Arnold and nx Racetraw, nnes Rakestraw that you know they're going to improve what has been a struggling, you know, defense through the air. I would say there, yeah, in this division, to me, you have to have a bulldozer of a defense and the ability to run the ball in cold weather, and you have a have to have a dynamic quarterback.
Speaker 1: I think it's just a tough division. I don't think the Vikings that either. And when I look at the line or the Bears, I see two to three question marks on the offensive line maybe and not much pass rush outside a sweat. On the defensive line. They were twenty fifth in pressure rate. Other than sweat. I think they're starting to Marcus Walker. It just they seem a little thinner upfront, and so that that worries me. That the case for them is just Caleb Williams covers all that up and the eber flues, you know, glow up. How he's looking very handsome and the defense is playing better. That it's for real and that it carries over kind of like the lines that a year ago and that I'm wrong, it's not gonna it's not gonna fall.
Speaker 6: Back at all now and this is this is why it's great to be underdogs in the NFL. I think any team you talk a lot of teams you talk to Greg would be like, yeah, the underdogs were coming after you whatever, whatever. This this this Bears team is going to be different. I think there are both sides of the trenches are going to be different. Right now. They have a battle at center. That's one of the most intriguing storylines when it comes to Ryan Bates and Coleman Shelton. They are battling it out. They're trying to figure out which one of those two is going to be snapping the football to Caleb Williams, and so that that's going to be critical. We heard from Darnell Wright, who was a rookie last season, he's going to be so different. Every player is, but especially I would say, you know, lineman coming into their second year. As I say that, Gervon Dexter is going to be a name that you need to remember. He is going to have a breakout campaign. He's going to be unleashed. He's going to be unleashed up front. They know they need more push besides Monteese sweat. They do that now.
Speaker 1: He was solid. He's a second round pick defensive tackle who did some good things as a rookie, and so that is that is a good counterpoint that he could have a breakout year as a second year defensive tackle. Yeah.
Speaker 6: And Eric Washington, by the way, comes most recently from Buffalo. We know how good that pressure was in Buffalo, right, and has been with Sean McDermott and and Eric Washington was a big part of that. So he's the new defensive coordinator. We presume Flus will call the defense during the regular season. Eric Smyann kind of handling that here through the off season. So it's been a nice, nice relationship that they they've really spawned together. They have nine returning starters. Okay, you mentioned what they were good at last year, right, They got interceptions, they got takeaways, they were top five in both and they were the best run defense in football, the number one run defensive football. I asked Eric Washington, the defensive coordinator, literally today, you know, what do you envision this past rush looking like? They like their depth they think I think there's some names on their roster, greg that are going to emerge. I just mentioned Jeron Dexter coming into a second season that are gonna surprise people, no different than for instance, like an Allen McNeil in Detroit, who's one of my favorite players in the league, and he's, you know, one of the best at his position. Up front, they're going to rush with four and they want to rush with four consistently. What's that going to do when you're able to just rush with four, as you know, you have numbers on the back end and with the type of secondary, as he said to me, we want to be able to rush with four and take advantage of just this unbelievable secondary that they have. And that group is a monster group. Their swagger is off the charts. Brisker and Kevin Byard's new in the mix, and Kyler Gordon you mentioned Tyreek Stevenson like that group. Jalen Johnson is one of now the top lockdown corners. The Bears paid him for a reason. How much will he get targeted this year? How How will Jakwan brisker.
Speaker 1: It be less? I have a stat for you. They face the lowest percentage of passes to a number one receiver. That just that says it all about him of any team in the league. That's how good he was a year ago.
Speaker 6: Yeah, and he's his technique has become so good. I think defensive backs don't get the credit they deserve when you consider technique and what they have to do to defend every single week every Sunday. You got DeVante Adams. Now you've got Justin Jefferson. You have just named one like the best receivers in the game. Today, you got Stuff Diggs like it's it's a task. And so I just think that guys like him going to another level. With nine returning starters and a couple of emerging players, I think this defense is going to be nasty this year.
Speaker 1: I I love it. I love the optivist. It sounds like you're going you think it'll be more than eight and a half wins? You think? You also live in Chicago and I've never met a fan or talked thought of a fan base that's more optimistic every time I'm despite evidence to the country. So I get it. They now have good evidence that they actually will be good, and so I feel it, and you've kinda you've kind of convinced because the back seven on defense is fierce and great continuity. It is as good as maybe any back seven of the linebackers are going to be year two it there's a lot to like. And then you combine that with a quarterback. To me, I'm as excited about as anyone since Andrew Locke to come into the NFL. That's a great combo. So you're you're going over I don't know, I'm thinking like eight and nine. But they are somehow better than that, you know what I mean. Like they're a better team than they were a year ago. But it just takes it takes a little more.
Speaker 6: I just I'm quick to pump the brakes at this time of year and picking wins because.
Speaker 1: Okay, our reporter anyways, that's putting you into No.
Speaker 6: When I think about just this division, I think about like I think about the receiving cores and who's going to throw them the football in Minnesota like that that shoot Jordan Addison and Justin Jefferson. That that is a d mcdoo right there. Right. The offense Detroit had was one of the best in the league last year. What is Green Bay gonna look like with Jeff Haffley, who like under Joe Berry, I love Joe Berry, but like they're gonna cut it loose under Halfley, and he is very defensive back friendly. I mean, he coached d backs for a long time of a long part of his career and wants to unleash those guys and they're going to come after you up front. I think a little bit differently. So it's just it's a brutal division, not unlike how brutal the AFC North is.
Speaker 1: I think they're the two best divisions. You could convince me either way, but I almost.
Speaker 6: I would say gruesome divisions. I think they're just they're pound for pound, they're just so gruesome, you know what I mean, Like, like look at the AFC West, right, they just float the ball all over the place in that division with Mahomes and Herbert And we'll see what happens in Denver.
Speaker 1: But like, I don't know, I love it. I love it, like I love that Bears Packers, which is always the like a Sunday night game. It's like now, it's like when Stafford got to Detroit. I was so happy that the Thanksgiving games were just better for me that net because the Bears are always on and I'm always getting sold a bill of goods. But now it's it's for real. This kid is for real. I can't wait. You are for real again. The only Olympian I know. So when Canada and the US go against each other, I mean, in women's basketball, that's not much of a competition. I don't even know if Canada mad. Maybe I'm just saying right now, the USA has and lost. I'm just saying, who when was the last time? They literally have never lost in the Olympics. I'm saying, who do you root for? Here? They're pretty good men's basketball. That could be that could be frisky.
Speaker 6: That's a good question. I'm going to plead the fifth on it because I just became a US citizen, so I mean, it's.
Speaker 1: Pretty cool hereful Well, it's a treat to have you on, Stacey, and I hope to do it again throughout this season. One of your dogs is leaving the frame. That means it's time for us to go. That is it for NFL Daily. Looking forward to Thursday's show, we're gonna talk some fantasy with Pat Darty and walso get you caught up on all the news of the day until then for Nick Schuk and Stacey Dale's We'll see you next day.