Speaker 1: Welcome back to another edition of the Frida Egg Podcast. Today's episode is powered by tdum or Trade. Every stroke counts on the scorecard and every penny counts in the market. That's why tedom Arior Trade is committed to straightforward pricing with no surprises, so you're free to swing with confidence. Visit tedomiror trade dot com slash Frida Egg member SIPC. We are back with another edition of the Friday Egg Podcast, and I am joined with Garrett Morrison Man, the editor of The Friday Egg. Hey, hey you're back.
Speaker 2: I'm back.
Speaker 1: Successful podcast debut with Bob Crosby got a lot of great feedback. I was, I don't know where I was a lot of people are telling me they loved it though.
Speaker 2: That's great to hear. Bob was an awesome guest, and so it's all downhill from here.
Speaker 1: Hey, you know a least see you'll have those the glory of your first time, that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So today we've got Kevin More coming on. He is a University of Georgia mathematics professor also runs a business doing golf course strategy. So I think this was inspired by Rory's comments about setup and strategy this weekend from the Dunhill Links. So Garrett, you've got more on Kevin and kind of the basis for this conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, sure. I mean, Kevin is just a really good and unique thinker about golf in general. He sort of has a foot in both camps where he's a competitive golfer with a real pedigree and he advises competitive golfers on how to manage their games. But at the same time he's a lover of golf course architecture, so he should be a really interesting person to talk to. So, you know, in addition to being a professor of mathematics education at at Georgia, the founder of the course management company you talked about, Squares to Circles, he's also involved with a new club and finally he'll be a participate a participant in our roundtable at the Thoroughbred, which takes place on Saturday, October twelfth at Ach and Golf Clubs. So that should be a really interesting discussion as well. Yeah, yeah, that should be fun.
Speaker 1: We'll have Kai Goldby there too, so an architect, so that should be it'll be an interesting discussion about design and strategy with those two. And Kai was a great player in his own regard. He played in college, he's cousins with the Hosses, and his father won the Masters. Yes, so he knows a little pretty decent competitive golf.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, so here we go. Here's our conversation with Kevin Moore.
Speaker 3: The Frida egg requires a different technique. What you need to do is actually square the face so they'll down underneath that bad lie and propell that ball right out onto the green. Here's the take.
Speaker 1: Playing out of a buried lion of bunker is completely different than playing out of a nice clean lion of green side bunker. You need to be aggressive on any show, whether it's sitting cleanly or it's a Friday egg.
Speaker 2: Well, we've all faked the dreaded Friday. Not to be feared though.
Speaker 3: It's actually a pretty easy shot to hit. Kevin, how are you Andy? I'm doing good. How are you? Oh?
Speaker 1: Just swell, you know, just a swell, wonderful day here in Chicago. What's the new? What's the down in Georgia? How's the how's the golf season going?
Speaker 3: The golf season is ninety five and hot. We haven't got that fall break yet, but that still means we can play a lot of golf. Uh, Unlike you all, we don't have to worry about our season running out. So I'll keep on playing through the entire year while you suffer through that Chicago winter.
Speaker 2: That seemed like an unnecessary swipe there, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean, we got to take it where we can get it. You know, we struggle all summer, so we have to we have to bask in the glory of our November, December and January.
Speaker 1: Yeah, luckily my golf game is uh is making me long for a hiatus playing lovesy golf, So it's about time to hang him up for a while.
Speaker 3: I'll get to see it in person on Thursday.
Speaker 1: It's true. Right around the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not going to get to hang it up that that's soon. Right, we're all woods.
Speaker 3: He's just walking me into a hustle. Right there is what he's doing.
Speaker 1: I got, I got two way mess gone, so I'm not hustling anyway.
Speaker 3: Welcome to the Then you're not you're not my you're not my teammate. Then if you have that going, yeah, it's uh so Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyways, this weekend, big comments from Rory McElroy when he talks, everybody listens. And he went after the European Tour for set up and saying, is SAT separating the good players, you know, SATs separating good and bad shots or good and bad shots enough, and then went into some strategy piece. So we figured he'd be better to talk to you than Kevin Moore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right when he talks, I typically listened with just nodding along. But these ones are a little perplexing in some points, a whole lot to unpack with some of the things that he said.
Speaker 2: What did you find perplexing?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, Rory what he's been one of the biggest I guess in terms of professional golfers, proponents of you know, those of us that are are hearkening back to some of the older days and like to just play with the thought experiments of what what older technology look like. And he's spoken, you know, his message off and reverberates with that. But you know, this one he went in on course set up and he sort of conflated two things he doesn't typically conflate in terms of mixing strategy and shot making along with course setup, which has really made it a sort of a jumbled mess. If I'm being honest, I think a lot of it was in reaction to unhappiness with display and everything. Obviously is a very articulate and very intelligent golfer. But yeah, just in terms of the comments that were there, there's just a whole lot that was meshed together, right.
Speaker 2: And he said at one point that you play with more strategy at PGA Tour courses, or that the soft setups on the European Tour demand less in the way of strategy than American courses on the PGA Tour do. I'm wondering what do you think he means by strategy? There as somebody who works with, you know, elite golfers, really good golfers, on how to approach a course tactically. What do you think he means by that?
Speaker 3: Honestly, that's a hard question to answer because there's a lot of different directions we could go with that. You know, we could look at the different setups across the European Tour, which I see a wide variety of golf courses, probably arguably much wider than the PGA Tour sees, right, but they have a lot of courses more in line with the Trinity Forest than we have one trinity for us where they also range into their tree line, dog leg, bunkered courses as well on the European tour that we see all across the PGA Tour. So maybe, I mean, he definitely could have been speaking just relative to his recent experiences what he spoke to with Renaissance in the Old Course in Carnoustie as well as Kings Barns. They didn't see the toughest conditions. So you run into those courses and it's not a very penalizing game. There's not, honestly for a pro tour player on those courses under those conditions, there's not a whole lot of thinking going on in a lot of cases, so you just hit it out there. You know where line you're taken, hit it, find it, hit it again. We're certainly on a more penal style golf course, like the typical PGA Tour course where they're bunker at two seventy two ninety three ten playing into greens that are decently bunkerd possible water hazards. There's some thinking going on where okay, there's a if I missed this shot by five to ten yards, there's a decent penalty to be paid paid. And it's also an aerial game, so there's a little bit more control, where on his most recent experiences, where it's a little bit more of a ground game, you have a lot less control, so you know where you're hitting it in. From there, it's just take the rubbit of green and go from there. So maybe you know, maybe he was tainted a little bit by his recent experiences and not really thinking about the whole landscape of the European Tour could be one case, but it's certainly the case in the PGA Tour. There is thinking that goes involved just because of or along and a round, just because of the penalties that exists across most golf courses there.
Speaker 2: What do you think that thinking consists of typically on a PGA Tour course, because it doesn't seem like it's thinking in the sense that golf course architecture nuts are accustomed to thinking about it. What type of thinking goes into it? Is it? Is it club selection? Primarily?
Speaker 3: Certainly club selection? I mean teeing decisions is a huge one, right, what do I take off the tea and what's the thinking that goes into that? And there are a lot of the decisions. Okay, how much is if I push up a driver because I'm always going to start there. That's start with driver off the tee and think about that. Is there a penalty in play? If there's not a penalty in play, the decision's done. All right, we're sending driver and we're going to play off that. Now, if there is a penalty on in play, well housing that penalty. How much of a corridor do I have where the penalty area exists? And if there's enough there, then it's like, okay, let me step back a club and say what where does that club put me? And go from there? Right, The objective is with today's game, with the way the rough is, the aerial in the and supporting an aerial game in the greens, get it up as far as possible as much as possible, you know, And that's ninety percent of the golf courses they play. And then obviously playing into the green. It depends on the length playing into it, but typically these players are hitting mid irons to short irons in so it's a it's a pretty aggressive game even from there with the softness of the greens, which again that was perplexing when he talks about firmness where a lot of the a lot a decent amount of the court course condition on the PGA tour is soft. Now you do have your exceptions. Murfield gets pretty firm as one example, when they can get it there. This past year was definitely not that with the rain, but you know, Jack likes to firm that up. I'm sure a lot of his renovation that's going to happen. It's going to be geared towards always having that the conditions. But a lot of the courses, the greens are soft enough that you know, pins are pretty accessible even when they're tough, and that worse, you're just going a couple feet inside of them, you know, five to ten feet inside of a pin towards the bat side of the green and playing from there. So a little bit of thinking on that, but not a ton yeah.
Speaker 1: That to me, it seems like the one of the courses I hear the most talk about strategy on is the YOUGC Mexico course Chapoltepec, which is all kind of do you hit driver And to me, just from my observation, it seems like that for the professional golfers is when it when it impacts the t shot. That's how they what they feel like strategy really is. That's kind of the way they think about strategy versus an architecture nut who thinks about angles and different things.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think that's completely accurate. And you know, I have that architect nut as well as strategy and math nut inside of me, and it drives the architect nut inside of me crazy. Right that the best way to challenge a tour player thinking off the tee is to have penalty areas you know, call it trees, call it bunkers or whatever, all the way up and down the hole to force them to make a decision of how aggressive they want to play. And Chapolo Peck is a great example of that, where you know, we know from dispersion driver three wood, two iron, it does doesn't matter that much left the right, you're still getting pretty wide with all three of those clubs that say, so, now you have the situation where, well, all three of them are going to bring in trees. So what do I decide to do? How much do I take into that account? And we saw a very different play down at Mexico into to be supportive of that, we saw a nice variance in leaderboard in terms of how people played the course, you know, maybe a little better than we'd see in other tournaments. So obviously still still privileges pushing up a lot of cases, but we saw some nice variety there, more so than maybe other tournaments.
Speaker 2: And yet at CHAPULTAPEC the winners have generally been bombers, but you saw variants in the kind of top tier.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think. I mean everybody, I mean everybody that works in the strategy business will admit this, right, It's you're never going to get around it being a bomber's paradise, right. Bombers are all that's going to be a skill set that's always well, especially with today's technology, is just going to be rewarded and maybe someone will crack the code of how to really break against that. But you're going to see that. So you know, that's just where we're at in terms of a game, and you're gonna expect to see a bomber as a winner probably more often than not. But yeah, really what's important is looking at the top ten, the top twenty, right, because let's face it, like the guys winning tournaments, they're all around great players, right, most weekend week out. Yeah, we get a couple of crap shots that come out and they just win a tournament, disappear, or they get hot. You know, this point's been made with Cameron Champa, and Andy's made this point several times that he's that type of player that will probably get hot for a couple of weeks, and if he does that every year, he'll probably get a victory as well, right, because he's got enough of a game and the distance is privilege that he'll get there. But by and large, the winners are just great golfers, you know, and the week they win, yes, distance helps put them in position, but they also are maybe outliers in the putting or outliers and approach relative to their normal game, so they're at least making it up in other areas and then across the top ten or top twenty and see variance there. I mean, that's just more compelling pro golf. Right if at least we're seeing everybody up on the leaderboard be a little different, it's a little bit more watchable, at least to some of us that pay attention to that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that's a misconception of is like the you know, Hey, like this guy won because he hit it far. But like, one of the things with distance is that it's a constant skill, Like almost every other skill on golf is variable. Like you might put bad today, put well tomorrow. You know, you might be really accurate with your driver today not tomorrow. Same with your irons. But with the distance you have that every single day you go to the golf course, which is something that I think some people like tend to and that's always going to be a huge advantage if you're long, But it seems to me that it's become more and more advantageous as you know, as players have gotten longer. In accuracy, you know, it's to keep it on the plan. There's less downside to hitting it far today than there used to be or hitting it hard, So to.
Speaker 3: Say, oh, yeah, I mean the hitting it far is one comment we could expand on. But then just hitting it hard as another one. Right, that brings into technology issues and what the technology enables us to do in terms of maximizing and optimizing the way we hit the ball and what the ball spin ray does. Right, that's the big question. Well, if we went back to say per Simmon and a wound ball, Well, what would hitting it hard look like? Could you act? What would optimizing everything look like? And would it be manageable in a way that you could still play the game at a very competitive level. Because to your point, like in terms of hitting it far, you know, when we look at the strokes gained it and I don't know what it's say over the last two years, but you know it's basically approach where it's basically trended to where like to be a top player, it's almost forty percent approach and forty percent driving. You know, maybe you could argue thirty five percent thirty five percent just in a sort of upper echelon area, And question is is that good for the game? Right? Like is you know, if I just said, okay, from a mathematical standpoint, what would be Like Rory's comment was what a complete player? I think, well, what would be a complete player? Be the best players in the world we or the like their trends would be okay, twenty five percent strokes gain attributed to putting, twenty five percent strokes gain attributed to around the green, twenty five percent approach, twenty five percent driving, or you can match the percent just to the number of strokes played from those positions, right, So like if you play thirty percent of your shots from around the green or on it, well, thirty percent of a winner's category should come from those areas. You know. Maybe that's something you know, that's fun to think about in terms of what would we want a complete player to be and what we how would we want that privilege.
Speaker 1: It's it's Rory's comments too when you talk when you talk about complete player, and I think this gets lost sometimes when everybody talks about Rory is like he is one of the you know, albeit sometimes he struggles on the green, he is as complete of a player as you get. On the PGA Tour last year he ranked in the top twenty five in every strokes game category, and I think he's the only player that did that. Adam Scott was close, but nobody else, you know, nobody else really was close outside of Adam Scott to doing that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean going back to Rory's comments, right, It's good that he's speaking out, and I would love to know how much of it comes from a place of him acknowledging and understanding that if there was ever such a cal rollback, we're just stopping where we're at like that only benefits him, benefits a player of his caliber or someone like Adam Scott, the Tiger Woods of people right that have the complete games, and I mean Ricky I think Ricky Fowler is a great example as well. That's someone that all around is a good player, does a lot of things really well, can hit a lot of golf shots, and sees a lot of golf shots. Right. Those guys seagull shots more than other guys in terms of just feeling comfortable in a golf course and seeing a shape and how much they would benefit from something that brought back more shape into the game and what we would how would we see that correlay or associate with different strokes, gained data in the statistics behind things.
Speaker 2: So one of the things that became pretty clear from Rory's comments is that he is thinking of strategy primarily in terms of what we talked about earlier, what club you play off the tee? Should you hit driver every time? He seems to think that on European tour course setups that there's not much of a question on the tee as to what you're going to do, and that means that he's thinking of strategy primarily along the vertical axis, right, the why axis of a hole. How deep into the hole should I push the ball in order to get the best results. Architecture geeks, on the other hand, tend to think of strategy more laterally along the X axis. What side of the fairway do I want to be on in order to open up a view of or an angle into the green. Now, as somebody who has a foot in both camps and the analytics camp as well as in the golf architecture geekery camp, I'm curious what you think about the claim that a lot of analytics driven course management folks make about hunting angles and the fact that that's not something that anybody should do on a golf course, right, That you shouldn't be trying to get to a particular side of the fairway, that you should just sort of pick a target that makes it least likely that you're going to find yourself in a penalty hazard, and that essentially lateral strategy as architecture folks have thought about it for over a century is irrelevant. Do you agree with that? And could you explain that position?
Speaker 3: Man, I'll put my best academic hat On and say I don't agree or disagree with that, right that there's it's sort of the position that we that we take of all the different things we can go here, like what do we want golf to be? How do we perceive playing golf at what level? Is a sport raging from a game? Like I thought your interview with Robert Crosby, Bob Crosby's phenomenal, and you got into the sense of like golf is a sport versus golf as an adventure, and we could go down all those rabbit holes as much as possible, But I'll start with just to think about, like, okay, in terms of the pro game on the typical TPC golf course, angles and that sort of stuff, even on a even on a soft trinity for us, that's say some of that's not super firm and the ball's not getting away. Angles don't matter. I mean, it's an aerial game. They they're playing along the y access they know how far their ball carries. Picking up, you know, trying to move over to an angle, but then having some of your shot dispersion play into a bunker. That's just that's not smart, right, You're better keeping that entire shot dispers an out of the bunker and playing to the lowest basically your lowest expected value. I saw that conversation with Scott and some other people, you know, the idea of blackjack was brought up, and it's a probability model, is what it is, especially when there's no variable of a ground game, right, and that your angle coming into a green. I mean, how often do we see on the pro game where there's a pin cut beside behind some slope where coming from that angle over the slope, you can't stop the ball at the pin. You just don't see that out there, right, And that's the beauty of links golf where you do have that, and you also have playing corridors that allow that. Right, you can have an eighty to ninety yard corridor where an average shot dispersion for a driver is anywhere from you know, sixty to seventy five yards. So you need that playing corridor to move that around. If you're thinking just strictly from the analytical probability model, you need a huge corridor and you need to angle to actually matter. So you need to turf conditions or to playing conditions to matter, or at least yardage in just the matter too. You know, some dog wags could get into it like a dog leg. With a center line bunker combined with it, you might be able to make up some differences there.
Speaker 2: So should I guess there are two different questions here. Should a player It sounds like it depends on the course for you, and it depends on the conditions. But uh, the one question is should a player ever find himself or herself in the position of preferring a side of the fairway in order to find a good angle into into the green? Is that ever a tactically sound approach to a golf hole? And then the other question, implied on the other side of it is should architects be designing courses that supposedly summon these decisions?
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, so yeah, should you do that? It's rare that you should actually be hunting angles. I mean, I'll let go Scott Fawcett on that, right, Like, it's just there's typically just not enough with where it actually matters. You can't control your ballflight that well, So don't be like, oh, I'm going to hug this bunker over here, because now you're just bringing in the bunker where I mean aim down the spair way and just play to that, and then half your shots are going to end up over there and you'll get the good angle the other half or not the good angle. But guess what likely the conditions are going to afford you playing a direct shot to the whole. Anyways, if you're a high level player on a typical course on what in terms of what they play right now? I mean, should how to design against that? It's I mean one aspect of it. It's really hard because playable with right like in terms of a player's dispersion, the designing for that, how wide a hole would have to be. That's a really hard thing to design towards. But you can do it like what you're looking for. And this relates to a point Garrett, that you made in the sort of driveable part four article that you made. Okay, like, what would a good like mathematical hole be that includes decision making? And this could because of angles or it could be because of distance the yax's how far do I push up them back?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 3: Like? I'll use a very simplistic version where there's just two options. Right, The really cool mathematical hole design that would actually make people think that follow you know, some of the stuff I teach, and obviously Scott was Scott teaches and some other people. In those two options, they need to come out to the same average, so we'll just make up they come out to a four average. And for simplicity's sake, you say, well, one option, every player would make a four from. In the other option, every player would make a three or five from. So you'd see the same average between the two options, but you'd see bigger variants in one of the options. First, the other one being a safe option where hey, not much variance in you're scoring, you kind of know what you're going to score from there, and then huge variants in the other option. And we could extrapolate that across you know, three or four different options of playing a hole and a different variance that you would see. So in terms of strategy and mathematics, that would be an ideal hold of design, which you could do by taking a look at stroke gain and positioning hazards. Think of like where your ball lands, you haven't expected value from it, and what kind of hazards could we put around those to change that to some number? And then if we pull back, okay, what can we do from there to make it so it plays the same average as that other area, and you could go through and design of course like that. I have no idea how interesting that would come out or what. And again, we're designing for the top point one percent of golfers. Is that something we really want to go down? Like, I don't care what people say when they say, oh, change happens or whatever. It's like, No, the top level game matters. It influences the entire rest of the game. People watch it, people pay attention to it. Golf clubs strive to be what tour courses are. I mean, they're the they're for better or worse, a big vocal part of our game, the top level players and what they do. So we can't ignore that. So I hesitate to ever put down on paper what you know, what it could be, because I mean, that's the Pandora's box. If we put it down as soon as we are going down that level or that road, I don't know if we end up in somewhere. We want to be those of us that think about golf also as the game, as the adventure as you like to talk about, which which I really really care to do and I really value and think that's a that's what ultimately is healthy for the game, is that aspect of it because we're not we're not tour players. My game looks nothing like a lot of college coaches, a lot of college coach kids I work with, and it definitely looks nothing like a tour players game. And I'm an okay golfer, so I hesitate to ever to ever, Yeah, push towards something that really just privileges the pro game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, talk about how strategy is different for say, the lower trajectory, lower spend players, And do you have any experience, say, like contrast, have you ever advised on like an LPGA player, semester tour player, or even a women's college team, and comparing contrast that with the elite men's game, whether it be college or professional.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you see a couple of different things. The most striking is honestly dispersion a little bit lower spin, lower trajectory player. And I'm thinking primarily an LPGA game, a college female game here that the dispersion is tighter, especially playing in the greens with irons and even off the tees, because I mean, I'm not super well versed in terms of engineering and physics. I did a physics background. This is my batcher's degree, but that doesn't make me an expert, so I can't. Everything I'm doing is kind of spit ball a little bit from just.
Speaker 2: Talking yeah we need to Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: I should, I should know. If I adopted his attitude, I would just sit here and just pull the chalkboard and start talking about I don't know, optimal spin rates or something. Uh, but yeah, they're they're a lot tighter. So in that way, there's a little bit, honestly, less strategy involved in that. It's easier to just say like, hey, you can it really really straight? And now playing into the green, there's a little bit more thinking to be done because the positions matter a little bit more. Conditioning matters a little bit more, slopes matter a little bit more when you're play into the green at a lower trajectory in the ball is going to be on the ground and running a little bit. Where the ball lands matters a little bit more. And understanding that, Okay, the short shot in my dispersion pattern, here's the consequences of it. The long shot in my dispersion pattern, here's the consequences of it. What does this mean for playing into this green and how I need to play into say a front pin, back pin, left, right, and so on. And you compare that versus a tour player that's stopping things primarily with trajectory, and those questions aren't playing into green or the longer is are no longer as much of a concern because if we're stopping it with trajectory and the conditions are allowing that when the ball comes in, it's kind of selling down where it is, right, even in terms of my own game like that, that's the transition I've seen a lot in it that playing into a green is just I don't have to think too much, like I don't worry about the ball getting away from me once it gets on the ground, which is, you know, very different from experience that, say, overseas. I think that's a little bit more a kin you know, if you think of a PGA tour player playing overseas on really really firm conditions, that may be more kin to an LPGA player and how they're playing into the greens. But again, it's a great example of how technology has helped the highest wing speeds. Right, That's where you see the biggest dividends in ms in terms of what we see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean in terms of like the Since two thousand and three, LPGA Tour players have only gained three yards of distance compared to eighteen on the web, which would point towards you know this it in a way is from what I'm gathering, it's becoming the distance is creating more interest from the pro game off the t and less into the green, whereas the women's game would have less interest off the team, more interest into the green and than not.
Speaker 3: Yeah, definitely more strategy thinking in the green, just more variability, that's there.
Speaker 1: So it with with regards to like the normal person, Let's just would you say, obviously dispersions get wider with handicap levels, but also swing speeds create lower trajectories, you know, like lower swing speeds, lower trajectories, less spin. Is strategy for your regular golfer more or less important than the the tour pro?
Speaker 3: Now? Do more or less important? Is the question?
Speaker 1: I'm saying strategy have more impact on the high level pro or the you know, ten fifteen handicap at the club.
Speaker 3: I mean in terms of that, well, yes, just mathematically it has to write there's more to be gained at a fifteen handicapper in terms of improving their game. And there's a lot of things you can do to see pretty significant dividends right away, right just sitting down and playing around with them and looking at the decisions they make. It's all with a fifteen handicapper, you can almost guarantee saving them one to two shots just strictly on what they're trying to accomplish when they're hitting a golf shot. Right. Use my dad as example. You know he's getting older, and you know two twenty two to ten used to be a shot he would get to the green every time, and now he tries to pull out the three wood and hit it and it just doesn't do anything positive. So when I or whatever I'm playing with him in like a best ball, then it's like that, just hit it up there one hundred and eighty yards and play from there, right, and the scoring average comes down. It's pretty natural. And also just every player good or bad things there, they hit tighter golf shots than they do so definitely just in terms of a dispersion pattern for any handicapper to understand, like, okay, on your best day, the quote I always uses on your best day, you're worse than you think you are because your dispersion pattern is always in play. Like even on our best rounds in our life, we typically hit a foul ball somewhere. We just often forget about it because we hit it from the trees and made a birdie. So that's something they can always take into play. On the flip side of that, at the top level, everything exists on the margins. It's essentially f one racing at the pro level or high level college, at the top level of college, because you can't gain a shot. You just can't. You're already you know, the top level college players already shooting sixty nine, seventy, sixty eight, sixty six, sixty five, sixty seven. It's just you're not going to pick up a full shot somewhere. But you have to pick up a tenth of a shot or a fifth of a shot, or a half of a shot over the course of one round or two rounds. So just in terms of an absolute difference, I mean, it definitely can make more progress at the top or at the higher handicap level than the lower handicap level, but it's still making a difference.
Speaker 2: So taking a step back from the kind of business of applying analytics to course management. I think your relationship to golf is really interesting. You know, obviously we've talked a lot about these issues, and you are maybe more romantic about golf than anybody I know. You just love it. You believe in the spirit of the game, You love the walk, you love the adventure, and that comes through in everything you do and say. But at the same time, you are very well qualified in mathematics, in analytics, and you are on a venture right now to demystify the strategy of the game, right which is essentially a rationalist enterprise. Do you have or feel those two parts of yourself coming into conflict?
Speaker 3: The short answer is yes in a lot of ways though, Yeah, So like this is what romanticism versus rationalism in a lot of ways. And what's cool is, you know, we create these dichotomies as if they're opposed. A lot of times they work together or in fact coexists. So golf is one of the I think golf, I mean, golf is a great example of that for so many reasons, especially the personal venture of it. But if we think of like the romanticism rationalism sort of ideas on it. So in terms of the romantic aspect, yes, we have this huge emotional attachment. Golf is an adventure and it takes us on this sort of spiritual, soulful walk that makes us challenge ourselves and really pulls out the worst of us and the best of us all at once, right, really exposes our ego, our moral character, everything that we do in it. Right, we're always facing difficulties, having successes and having to respond to those. But at the same time, like when we think about it, especially a lot of the conversations you know, the three of us have and amongst our friends and ourselves, you can't just rely on those responses to dictate, well, what's good for the game, what's good for me as a person? You know, what's healthy? Right, Because addiction is a great example of if you don't question things, it's easy to become addicted to something because you just yeah, this is great, this is great, this is great. Stimulus, stimulus, stimulus, and all of a sudden you're addicted to whatever it is that you're getting involved with. In golf's the same way where we have to think about, okay, well, what is in terms of the tent in the game and the things that enable it to have this character in this soul, like what enables that? And now that moves into more of a rationalist, you know, rationalism type of mindset where I need to break down my own thinking, my own experiences and what contributes to us. And so I can take the same aspect with the strategy side of it, where yes, there's some days where it's like, man, especially as I'm doing like a Reese Jones course or something, where it's just like what I'm like, what am I doing here? This is this is boring, and this is not enjoyable for me. Yes, this is challenging for the players and creates the good par score or whatever it is you want to say it does, but what's going on here? And that gives me an opportunity to inject some of the romanticism of the game into it. When I'm working with especially individual players, to help help them understand the architecture that's there, what they're seeing on the golf hole, what makes it, what makes really a compelling golf hole versus what makes something that's just very formulating, and help clarifying their own think you know, these like even these top level players, they'll build play say a core Crunshaw, a Pinehurst, a pine Valley, A name your pasta Tampo that say, they'll play those and just think, man, what an awesome experience that was. That was that was amazing. But then I'll go play all their tournament golf courses and to them that's also a great experience or whatever. So helping them be reflective and thinking about, like, what was so amazing about pasa tempo posita tampa? You said you love that? Why did you love that so much? So I enjoy the sort of teaching us side of the strategy management where I can take it a little deeper than just how to play a golf course, but also thinking about the design of a golf course, what goes into it and what really piques their interests the most, you know, So that moves from that kind of blends the two together to maybe help them become more romantic with the game in terms of the course design and understanding why why architecture is important even if it doesn't challenge their game. Right, if they go play a Corey Creutshaw that's not set up very difficult, it's not going to challenge that much, but they can still hopefully appreciate the golf course for why it's there outside of their own own golf game plane and even experience the experience or even enjoy the experiences that they had and say, hey, I shot sixty two there, but the andyes, adjusted par point, maybe sixty two was my adjusted park for that golf course because of the playing conditions that were there. And yeah, that webshot that I had to take off a backboard and suck back, Yeah, it was easy to get the five feet. That was awesome to do. And I should get that the five feet. But if I would have messed up, have sucked it back off the green, and I would have not made Bertie, So you know, get him to appreciate those sorts of things. It is something that I enjoyed doing as part of the the analytics side of things.
Speaker 1: So on the Shock, something about making Dunhill Part sixty seven for the pros and if they had done that, the winning score would have been I think two under. Would Rory have had the same comments if the winning score was two under.
Speaker 3: Rory, I don't know if he would have, because I do believe a lot of his reaction was in the moment being frustrated with his own finishes. I do think he's also smart enough to be like, yeah, part doesn't matter. So I'm sure he probably wouldn't have had the same reaction, but I know a lot of a lot of people it would, and a lot of tour players it would influence that reaction. What part was right if you changed part to on them all of a sudden, all of a sudden, a hard hole becomes easy or an easy hole becomes hard. It was that I forget what tournament was last year, and I was sitting there and there's a college team talking about it and they changed the par five to part four and one of the players was like, man, that hole is so hard and it used to be an easy Part five and like it's like, no, it's the same hole. It's literally the same hole that's there. So so yeah, definitely part And I mean even on the psychology side, right, the loss of verse sort of nature of people changes how they play. Even though it shouldn't, it still does.
Speaker 2: So what are some of your thoughts about how professional golf could be more interesting than it is now, or maybe you think the professional golf still still is interesting in a sense. But in what you're saying before about the differences between competitive and recreational golf and the places of a rationalist approach and a romantic approach in one or the other, it struck me that in competitive golf there is a distinct lack of mystery and romance about it. That so much is known now about the golf swing and about course management, for instance, that players are very rarely at a loss, players are very rarely dealing with ambiguity and mystery, and there is a kind of business like efficiency in the way that the best players approach golf. And to me, it reads very clearly through the television that that's happening, and it makes me lose a little bit of interest. Does it make you lose interest in the same way? And if not, why, and then? And what are some of your thoughts about how some intrigue and mystery could return to the game.
Speaker 3: I mean, we've got to start talking more about air density and what that does to.
Speaker 2: That's what the people want, right, No, oh.
Speaker 3: Man, this is so. I mean, a lot of personal preference is going to come out here in terms of yes to all of those points. But I'm not I'm in terms of explain my personal preference. It's not like, oh, this is going to solve all the problem. It's more like, I think it actually would support this more exploration or re exploration of the game and what it means to optimize it. Right where, Okay, I'll start with this is one of the pieces of evidence in the premise for it. So with distance gains, distance gains aren't absolute, they're relative, right, So it's not like, oh, all of us shifted up ten yards. No, that's not how it worked. That's how it worked. You know, that wouldn't be such a big deal. But it's like, no, you have you know, maybe I gained five, but someone ahead of me gain eight yards and someone maybe had that because of ball speed, gained twelve yards. Right, So like the absolute difference is between the distance change. The distance differences have grown an increase, right, which in terms of like the spirit of yeah, I believe, yes, pros play a different game, but it's much cooler when we kind of it kind of resembles what the game we play, right, So we lose that there on one piece of the argument. So I would like to see that shrunk down. So that obviously brings in the idea of rollback in some sort of form, regardless if it's shrunken driver, heads, wound and ball for Simon, Ballata Hickorys. But we could sit here and argue all day about what we want to go back to. But I do I do think there's some viability in that, in that argument, in terms of rolling back to something and changing in technology somehow, if if some of the principles that are wrapped up in the game or something we really value and want to see in the pro game as well. And now on the flip side of that, this idea of expiration and optimization and just making the game inquisitive again, I would I could see that as a significant strength that movement and actually doing it, because it would even for the OEMs, open up a whole new revenue in pursuit. Right, Oh, shoot, we're going back to this technology. Well, frankly, let's say it's persimmon. Let's just go there. We'll say it's Persimmon with a lot of balls. And that's not a personal preference in mind to go to that version of it, but let's say that's what it is. All of a sudden, everybody in the game of golf at a high level is to think how do I optimize that technology? Right? What does my swing speed need to be? Like? Can I actually have this huge swing speed with you know, hitting up on the ball trying to launch at this angle? All that has to be figured out again? And what does that mean in terms of how the game's played? How does course conditioning now play a role in that? It would just sort of open up a new you know, path to go down and have to figure out, which I think could be could be exciting. You know a lot of people talk about it, we'll turn people from away from the game, And I don't know if I buy that argument. I think Bob spook to this a little bit on the on his his podcast that maybe in a short term you'd have a few people leave, but really would they? I mean, is if all of a sudden you put for Simon in the fifteen handicappers' hands, is it really going to change their one just their scoring and how they play the game, but also their enjoyment? Is that are they really playing the game because they have a four hundred and sixty cc tailor made in their hands? Where they playing it for other reasons? You know, would and that's and also for Simon has great self correction off the face. People people think like, oh, the argument for rolling back stuff means like, oh, you're going to hit it one hundred and fifty yards off line. That's not the case. It actually brings more variability in the y axis if anything. Right, that's where we see huge variability where with the current drivers. Right, it's like, well, I hit the heel, I hit the toe, I hit off the top of the face, I hit off the bob in the face. Oh, I hit on the toe on the hot spot. I mean, the balls flying pretty similar distance.
Speaker 1: It's I've got so many buddies that are relatively new to the game but young, and they you know, some of them swing a pretty pretty like well in terms of speed, and the distance that they launched the ball offline is astounding to me. I've never seen the ball go so far offline. Then with one of my buddies and it's like, and I gave him my per Simon driver the last time we played, and he hit like three shots with it, and the worst one was only like thirty yards off line, because like it can't go as far off line, I.
Speaker 3: Mean per Simmon, like in terms of the result and the what we're looking for per Simon, were the original twist face right like they like they self corrected balls off of them because of the way the face was curved with the way the ball performed like it worked together that when you hit a toad for Simmon right, it starts right kurves left. If you hit the heeled for Simon, it starts left and curves right. It was just may like just for whatever reason, the materials did that.
Speaker 2: So, yeah, that doesn't go very far, but it kind of it stays in play. Whenever I think of this, I think of this guy that I played with a pasim but not somebody that I knew beforehand, and he honestly launched fifteen balls into the middle of neighborhoods. He was swinging so hard, had no idea where it was going, and the ball went enormously high up into the air and was just dropping bombs in the middle of the surrounding neighborhoods at Pasa Tiempo over and over and over again. I was just watching this guys. He needs a driver that doesn't go as far. He would score so much better and also there would be less death and property damage in the wake of his playing this golf course.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, it's I mean, how many people even talk about that senior golfer in their league that's seventy and just hits it dead down the middle one point eighty, hits it up by the green and just whips them to no end even though they're trying to blast it to seventy. Right, it's well, you could kind of have that a little bit more than you do if we made some changes to technology and what it does.
Speaker 1: I feel like that golfer is like the envy of all golfers too, which is so ironic that like, everybody's in this pursuit for hitting it far, but really the golfer they envy the most is the guy that's like the steady grinder at their club.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's actually absolutely comical.
Speaker 2: It seems like a fun way to play the game when you see it in action, And that sort of leads me to something I wanted to get your thoughts on. Recently, you participated, maybe even organized, I don't know, you seem to be organizing a lot of things these days. The oil hardened Classic run under the auspices of the Eternal Summer Golf Society, I believe at Sweeten's Cove, and the notion was to have everybody play with persimmon woods and bladed irons and see what would happen. You were involved in this, right, and how was that experience? What did you learn from it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I can't take credit for organizing, that's uh. Peter Schmidt is a good friend of mine, writer for w r X, now going to graduate school, get into turf business, just to just I mean, another just soulful guy that just loves golf for all the right reasons across the board to an equipment junkie as well. Right, he is a huge equipment junkie. So yeah, he and I did a little bit of background soundboard for him in terms of putting it together, but definitely his his venture. Yeah, we brought together a bunch of guys. Just it's exactly what you said. We're gonna play for simmon, We're gonna play blades. Uh, those are the rules. Whatever ball you want, modern or not, that's fine. Every other you know, rules on board, modern putter, old putter, however you want to do that, that's fine. You know. Jeremy is Louis Little Golf helped us out participate in it as well. Uh. And we just brought a guys with two teams sort of Ryder Cup style where we did going back to the spirit of the game, four ball, alternate shut and foursomes in the morning and we played singles matches in the afternoon and just and just had a blast. And I think sweet a place like Sweeten's Code. If you talk to me, I talked too much about the place, you know, It's one of my spirit courses in love with it. Just appreciate what Rob Patrick and Tadd and everybody created there. But playing a place like that, I think really helps accentuate the benefits of plane the golf that style, with the trajectory, they'll they'll run out the ground game a little bit more. Just how much? How much more you notice? You know, I've played I don't know how many times I've gone around Sweeten's probably one hundred at this point or so. And that was. Honestly, I've never seen it in that way. I've played Hickory's on it. I'm not a great Hickory golfer, so I can't. I'm sure Tad King has already seen Sweetens the way I saw it with for Simmons. But it was just fascinating how much more of the ground you saw with the ball rolling, how much more thinking you had to do playing into greens, playing just set up shots there, that sort of stuff. It was absolutely fascinating.
Speaker 2: And I heard you played pretty well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I broke the thirty barrier for my first time ever on Sweetens.
Speaker 2: What I didn't know you played that well.
Speaker 3: Sure, I shot twenty nine and I missed two ten footers. Shout out to Dan Nelson, won my opponent in that match, and fellow new club guy. He came out and he was going nuts too early, the both of us, and for whatever reason, he just sparked a fire under me and he just had a blast.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, it's amazing that you shot your your lowest nine ever and you felt yourself having You know, part of me sometimes feels I play with old equipment half sets. I actually didn't play with like a conventional set from March till was it August this year? And what I find is I'm so much more mentally stimulated in the round when I play with non just straight modern and what that does is that it keeps me in the round more did you feel that way?
Speaker 3: Absolutely like yourself. I mean huge half set player for the exact reason that you're speaking of, where I just take out half of half the clubs in my bag and play other things in this And I learned this from like Vision fifty four is a good group they talk about in terms of training. To be a good golfer, you have to learn to hit golf shots right. And part of learning to hit golf shots, and I mean shots at shape that play that played to a distance that's not natural for that club. You have to think about the implications of that. Where is this going to land, how is this going to run out? What's my miss going to be? All those things come into into the mind where now it's like I have to control the trajectory. What trajectory do I wanted to come in at? And when you're playing a course like a Sweeten's Cove or you know, think of your favorite firm and past golf course. I probably plays like Shinacock, right, those questions actually matter or the old course, and you have to think about those. I mean, one of the things I was just talking with the college coach recently that's both a friend and a colleague of mine, and we were just talking about how college a lot of college kids, even your best kids, don't know how to hit golf shots right. They can have a wedge in their hand, and if it's not the exact yard to just they need, they's somewhat stabbing in the dark, or they're just going full bore at everything. So even something as simple as like hey, go play with the half set, because now when you're one sixty in your nine irons not in your bag, you have to think, well, do I do something in the wedge? Do I do something with the eight iron? What do I have to do with this club to make it go the distance, land where I wanted to be and do what I wanted to do when it hits the ground. And to me, that is just it's just more interesting golf. I just find out to be more pure form of golf because it just engages the mind so much more, because it engages both my analytical and just sort of creative multiple options mine.
Speaker 2: So to get more specific about that, if you were to put on your analytics hat, if you were to say, prepare a course guide for Sweeten's gut Cove for yourself using modern equipment versus one where you were using the equipment that you used at the oil hardened Classic per Simon and bladed irons. What would be the differences between those those course guides from a statistical perspective.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so one thing, I'll never do a course guide for Sweeten's Cove. That is my escape. So I will never have anybody that wants me to do one thing.
Speaker 2: You're not going to violate it in that way.
Speaker 3: I will not violate it that I even feel bad when I do the little videos of it.
Speaker 2: I'm like, Okay, well let's call it. Let's call it Athens Country Club or something like that. Let's let me another course any other course.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so all right, So I will say this with irons, like even blade irons, not much is different, right. The current irons are really very similar to the old irons. There's not a huge change in those when you're talking taking into account the modern ball. Now, if we're talking if we wound the ball back a little bit, with a ball with more curvature on it, things do have to be thought about a little bit differently because and this is actually one of the open questions why I always say I don't have an answer, because I honestly wonder what does a dispersion pattern look like if we were had a seven iron with a wound golf ball right, does our left the right dispersion change significantly? And more importantly, does our dispersion within it change? Do our percentages change where like our fifty percent of balls are a little wider, a little more narrow Like those questions would have to be thought out, and I don't have an answer to those because honestly, I've just never sat down with one hundred wound balls and hit seven irons to see what would happen versus my seven iron, And we grabbed a you know, a b toad or something like that and said, hey, hit these seven irons for me and I'll hit your seven iron. That's see the differences and in the same level like persimmon to like the modern driver, I think what changes there is a little bit of how the ball flies. It's not going to have as much carry and for me personally, it's going to have a little bit more run out. So I'm gonna have to think about that now, like, Okay, this ball is going to be on the ground a little bit more. It's gonna have some curvature on it. When my ball gets on the ground running, if this thing's firm and passed, where's that ball going to run to? And what are my consequences of that? Now, if we're on a soft course, I'm going to be honest, the balls not running much, there's not too much to think about. You just where's this ball gonna land? And that's all I need to know, And I'll design everything based on that. And my distance might be a little less with the persimmon, but guess what, like, my dispersion is probably gonna still be pretty similar, and the way the holes are played are going to be pretty similar other than adjusting for distances. But you start putting it firm and fast and the ball's curving, Now you know it's the whole point that's made. Once that ball's out of the on the ground and out of your control, that's that's where things can get scary. So you have to think about that a bit more so.
Speaker 2: As we mentioned earlier in the podcast, Kevin is going to be joining us at the Thoroughbred Friday Egg event held at Aching Golf Club. Kevin, you're a resident of the of the South. You've been to Aching Golf Club. What are your what are your thoughts on that course? And uh, you know, are you gonna are you gonna come up with a course guide before you arrive?
Speaker 3: I think so I've only been to Aching once, you know, I think we went on two loops. I was actually over there with a mutual friend of Jason Way and his son and then Dave I think his last name sink Guard. I think that's right. Thinking, Yes, just an absolute pleasurable day. But you know, I had the role of Tony Plane at once. I still haven't unlocked its secrets, so I don't want to say a whole lot about it until I played a couple more times. But I got admit it was. It was special. It had It was almost like walking back in time in a lot of ways. I felt like I was back in Pinehurst, like in the nineteen fifties, or how pine Hurst would have felt in the fifties, with just this sand sort of sand hills sand belt style golf course weaving through a neighborhood, which is aggressively cool contours throughout the entire course, especially playing into the greens. I mean, I'll never forget the fifteenth green. It reminded me of this Walter Travel Travis green up at kate Arundel that was just had this huge tier kind of cutting right through the middle of it where you walk up and you're like, that's just the coolest green site to put that there and place that down and just made you think about like, Okay, again, I can't control my angle, but if I'm on this side of the fairway, like how I'm gonna have to play into that green versus I end up on that side of the fairway, what I'm gonna have to do and how can I use the ground to help it out? So I'm just, yeah, really looking forward to getting back to it and getting experience it again and just having it come alive.
Speaker 1: I'm actually curious about this, with that whole being like two hundred and seventy yard to sixty, could you technically actually control your angle into that green with like a forty yard wide fairway knowing that you could go wedge wedge.
Speaker 3: If you could go wedge wedge, So at a wedge you're looking at, I mean, you're still getting up pretty good. I don't remember the specific numbers off my head, but it's like a twenty five yard window that you're still operating at, so a little bit, yeah, you control it right now? Yes, Okay. The cool thing about the wedge is like seventy five percent of your balls are going to end up on a pretty tight window, So yeah, a little bit with a wedge wedge, you can control it a bit more now. But yeah, my analytics hat on is I'll echo I guess Scott Fosse. It would be like, yeah, but you're playing through a worst score. To me, that's still golf, right. I go around Sweetens a lot of times when I'm playing there and I'm not playing to my best overall score. I'm playing to my best score along a certain path. I'm trying to execute every shot as best I can along a certain path, and that's to me, that's still golf. But yeah, I'm not gonna doing.
Speaker 1: That when there's aggressive contours and FERB conditions and all of a sudden, then angles matter a lot more. How does that relate to like the general formula? Does it throw it out of wax? Is this one of the reasons we see in like open championships, you know, a leaderboard that's distinctly different than a PGA Tour setup.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the two biggest variables are winding firmness. Right, because once the ball is on the ground, you unless you have a nice topographical map of what's going to do and you have a system that would tell you where the ball is going to land, it's almost impossible to design for low it's expected score perfectly right to say, yes, this is definitely where you want to play because when the ball hits here, here's all the possible runouts. You know, that's what matters now. I think what this really speaks to is also what I believe is a true the true spirit of the game and aspect of it too. And and you know, my fifth time I mentioned Bob Crosby's podcast with Garrett that he spoke on this too. Golf is not about fairness, right, variability, chance rubbed the green and luck should be part of it. And that's if you look up how a game is defined. I think under the definition you even have chance or luck as part of defining a game wor sport in its outcome. Right, it's an or it's skill like athleticism or luck. So you should have all aspects involved with it because part of golf is also it's egocentrism, right, it's feeling with your own ego to accept, Hey, yes, I hit the perfect shot there, I got a bounce that put me in the road hole in the monker, and that's just what it is, and I have to deal with that. I have to get over that to move on hit the next shot, realizing that was a one in a million break. That was bad. But I need to bounce backward and still try to score the best I can from the next shot. And I think that's a critical important element of the game that makes it more interesting than that. Go hit a great one day, shoot thirty eight, Go hit it great the next day and shoot twenty nine. That's just I think that's beautiful.
Speaker 1: Isn't that crazy? Though, Like we have when there's a center line bunker.
Speaker 4: Or a green that might be difficult, players now complain about, you know, getting it removed. But in football, a punter that get hits a perfect punt that gets a bad bounce and goes into the end zone for a touchback doesn't ever complain after the game about the oblong shape of a football and ask for it to be perfectly round.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, it's fascinating right in terms of always always think about just what golf exposes in terms of our personal preferences in the way we're able to deal with adversity, right, and golf just really, I think, especially golf at the high level game exposes that. And it's easy to coddle to a top level player, right, I mean, it's easy to buy into that mindset. I'm sure I bought in that mindset when I was a college golfer of like, yes, this should be fair, Like this should be straightforward. When I hit a good shot, I should be rewarded. But over the time I've come to realize, like, no, that's you know, part of the game does reward good shots, but it's okay when those aren't always rewarded. But still your ability to rebound after that. And why do we think places like Shinnacock and Augusta, especially when Augusta's firm, Like why is that the most compelling golf to watch? I think it's because, both as a player as well as a spectator, we get that element. We get that luck element when Tiger hits it in the middle of the trees but then plays it off a bounce and one time on eleven it bounces perfectly down in the middle of the green and the other time bounces off to the right of eleven. Now he's faced with a tough up and down like that. Variability makes golf much more compelling than a point and shoot model in my personal opinion.
Speaker 2: All right, great, thank you so much, Kevin. We'll see you very very soon the event's coming up, and really looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, of course, look forward to seeing you all there and everybody else coming naked.
Speaker 1: You've been listening to the fried Egg podcast.
Speaker 2: We do the digging for you.