Speaker 1: Comedy Off Broadway in Lexington. Welcomes David Cross July twenty fourth and twenty fifth, Then catch Jeff Allen July thirtieth through August first, and don't miss Brent Turhoon August seventh and eighth. Comedy Off Broadway opened in downtown Lexington in nineteen eighty seven, and they're still bringing the best and stand up comedy to the area thirty nine years later. For tickets called eight five, nine to seven to one joke or visit Comedy Off Broadway dot com off Bay.
Speaker 2: Welcome everyone, This is Kentucky Sports Radio, Friday, July the thirty first time. We are here at home to Sweet's Hotel in Summrset, Kentucky. A brand new facility right here, one of Southern Kentucky's newest hotels. Great crowd here this morning, but the one thing I gotta do is get some energy going into room because we're got We got a TBT final on Sunday, So let me hear from all you guys today.
Speaker 3: Here we go.
Speaker 2: There we go, one month away from football Summerset where I went back and look, I counted Drew in the last uh five years. This is next to Lexington, the place that we've done more remotes. We've done more remotes in Summerset than we even have in Louisville in the last five years. And now excited here to be at the new hotel in Somerset.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've gotten a pretty regular drive here. I know down to the minute, how long you'll take. We've done it so much. Nowhere to stop. I noticed there's some law familiar merch in the crowd too. To add to this, we have a familiar merch people were getting that into it.
Speaker 2: Thrasher Magazine, which I didn't even know was a thing, is right next to him. You can give out the Clark's Pumping Shop phone line eight five nine two eight twenty two eighty seven, a Vision Auto Glass text machine seven seven two seven seven four five two five four. In this a disition sponsored by the TJ. Smith Law Office. If you call Tj'll make them pay. So the TBT is Sunday. They will be playing Davis Steele, which is located not far from here in Russell Springs. They have sent us today which I will open a little later Davis Steel Merchandise, which Ryan I'm considering no offense to David Steele burning as a sacrifice to get ready for the game on Sunday.
Speaker 5: They're big Cassar listeners. We appreciate it.
Speaker 3: I appreciate that we can be your friends.
Speaker 5: We eat your friends until su until.
Speaker 3: Did you watch their game last night?
Speaker 2: Watched this a little bit of it. Anybody see it? They were down. It was a elam ending at its best. They were down one sixty nine sixty eight. The target score was seventy one. The announcers were going crazy, don't give up a three, don't give up a three. And they gave up a wide open three to the best shooter. And now the same team that not I mean, think about this. A Tema knocked us out last year. Archie Goodwin used to play for them, and for some reason they got bought by a steel maker in Russell County. That's who's coming here? Are they taking like Kansas a bus from Las Vegas. So you need to wear them out. You know, they were in the championship game last year. They've been in a three times, so their experience they've got.
Speaker 3: They never won it.
Speaker 4: I don't think they've actually punched through in won it yet, but they read it a year ago. It's just so funny to go through Louisville, Syracuse and Kansas. And now we have storylines with the local steel meals much here. But it's setting up for a big one Sunday.
Speaker 2: You got Louisville, h Syracuse, Kansas, and Russell County back to back to back.
Speaker 3: Uh and that's what we have.
Speaker 2: How may ask you, because you are down here, until we talked about this a couple of days, how many of you had heard of that place?
Speaker 3: Just a handful of people.
Speaker 2: I mean, I it must they must have money in order to to do this team. But I had a bunch of people righte me from this area and say they didn't even know it exists. So I guess maybe it worked unless they beat us, at which point wall.
Speaker 5: Hey, they sponsored a lot familiar for many years and they switched over to this evel and Drive team. But I'm off your notion of But Bob told us if you go from Casey Conedy here, it's on the right, just down here on I guess on the left. We're going back it that way.
Speaker 2: Yes, Well, eight five, nine, two eighth, twenty two eighty seven. We will talk a little bit more about that game.
Speaker 3: I brought in here today, guys.
Speaker 5: That's oppressive.
Speaker 2: This is the So yesterday as we were walking out of the football stadium, a couple of the folks that UK came and they heard that I were building this ESPN studio. By the way, there were people working in my house until ten thirty last night.
Speaker 3: Trying to get this thing done.
Speaker 2: And they're already there this morning because they got to get it done by Sunday. And there's still a lot of work to do and we have to set up the TV thing today.
Speaker 3: There's a lot going on.
Speaker 2: But they heard me say that, you know, we were gonna have a background of stuff, and I had Transylvania, Middlesbrough, Chicago Bears, Carolina Hurricanes, Cincinnati Reds, and I was trying to figure out the Kentucky thing. And they gave me this UK WWE belt to hang behind my head on the on the broadcast. And I have to tell you, I see some wrestling T shirts in here. I'm a sucker for championship belts. This might be the coolest thing that I own. At this point, I'm gonna assume I own it. They said we're giving this to you. I'm assumed that means permanently. But how awesome is this? And apparently these goes on go on sale this fall, which you know, I don't even know where you bought it, but there you go.
Speaker 4: I've seen some belts and they look real cheap. That one looks heavy duty? Is that real leather and gold? Can I hold it?
Speaker 3: Real? X? Hold it? Yeah? I kind of feel like the champ myself here.
Speaker 2: I know when you walk with that, there's something about holding out on your shoulder.
Speaker 3: That's how they do it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think when you walk with that like, well, I guess I'm the rock now. It is weird how having this belt makes you feel like you're something.
Speaker 3: It does give me flashbacks to carry. Oh yeah, no, that they did not go cheap on that that that this is very very nice.
Speaker 2: So I don't know what this costs when it goes on sale, but this will be hanging, hopefully if they get all the work done by Monday, hanging behind my head on Monday.
Speaker 5: All the things you're putting behind you in that studio, nothing screams Matt Jones more than a UK wrestling belt. That is it.
Speaker 2: It's a shame because all the teams had a very similar look. But the little trancelan you pin it and the Middlesborough sticker is not gonna compare.
Speaker 3: I think very much to this WWE belt.
Speaker 2: So this is not to answer people's questions the belt that was behind Mitch Barnhardt's head in that interview. A lot of people asked that I thought it was that goes in the museum, that one and it.
Speaker 3: Has the WWE logo.
Speaker 2: This one has it on it too, But this is blue and so I brought this here today and for the people in sumrset.
Speaker 3: If you want to take a picture with this, you are a couple of you asked. You are more than welcome.
Speaker 4: And thank you to Home to Sweets for hosting. I can see you just wearing that around the neighborhood too.
Speaker 2: I did wear it to Skyline last night, Yes, jeez, I went to Skyline ordered a four way.
Speaker 3: I did walk in with that. You don't get a discount?
Speaker 2: Is it play music when you walk in everywhere I go. I just hit were Wolves of London as I walk in and come.
Speaker 5: Out with that, And it's very walking on your neighborhood with it raped over your shoulder, walking like Vince McMahon while a little cockie walk coming out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, speaking of walking around your neighborhood, I know sometimes I know not everyone likes the meat becoming an adult at in my mid forties moments, but you know, the neighborhood, Like, I'm starting to get acclimated to the neighborhood. And I'm sure a lot of neighborhoods like this. We have walkers, yes, right, we have people who walk.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: Now you have to understand this neighborhood. It's not that big, right, I mean it's what would you say, a third of a mile, half a mile round something like that you come off.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the loop.
Speaker 2: So some of these walkers, they just walk in a circle, right, So they don't go outside the gates, which means they just walk by over and over and over. And I'm dealing with a struggle, Drew, which is how many times when they pass by?
Speaker 3: Do I keep talking? Yeah?
Speaker 4: You don't have to tacknowledge them every time? Do you not have to tell it's in my neighborhood. At one point I thought I was in a simulation because I kept seeing the same five people, like every two.
Speaker 2: Minutes, I see this couple and if I might work it outside or doing something, I see them and I'm I'm like, hey, how are you doing?
Speaker 3: And then they come by the second time and I'm like, anything changed? Still good? You're still good?
Speaker 2: And then they come like again, and then I start to feel awkward and actually right it makes me go inside.
Speaker 3: Because I don't know what to say to them.
Speaker 2: So how many times do you just acknowledge them once and then you're good?
Speaker 5: You gotta acknowledge them that first time, maybe second, third time. You just give them a little head nod in a little wave.
Speaker 2: That's all you got to keep giving them a head I'm going inside. I can't keep doing that. I remember, that's very odd.
Speaker 3: A head nod down and they're a stranger. It's how you doing.
Speaker 4: But if you're not up, it's a little more personal. So are you not up yet? When you see them? Oh wait a minute, Like if you give.
Speaker 3: Them a you know, just a head nod, you don't know them. That's just that means I don't want to talk to you. That's just how you're doing. You go bye.
Speaker 4: But if it's a if it's an up, it's like, hey man, how you been, what's up? So that's a little more personal. Well, you eventually graduate from one to the other if you say.
Speaker 2: Part of the problem is I don't know who in my neighborhood listens and who doesn't.
Speaker 3: Right, I know some of them do. I don't think they all do. But that's another thing is I don't know whether or not to talk to them. It's still it's still an awkward feeling out phase during this whole time.
Speaker 5: And we all have neighbors that we kind of like, No, aren't very friendly. They don't talk, they don't wait. You don't want to be that guy. You don't want to be mister unfriendly.
Speaker 2: No, But I also don't want to be too friendly, you know what I mean? Like I, it's somewhere in the middle. I think is the right thing.
Speaker 5: And I guess we're supposed to assume you're out in your front yard doing yard work and picking weeds, and I've actually been doing work, have you.
Speaker 2: I've been trying for five days to get my fountain to work, and I just can't. I may just dig it up and give it away because I don't know how to fix it.
Speaker 3: I have no a bit.
Speaker 2: But besides that, I'm enjoying where I live. And yesterday we were we did the interview with Jay batt. It's interesting to read people's reactions. Drew seems like he did a good job. Just for those of you, did you guys like him yesterday? Did you feel positive about the direction of uk fle like? That seemed to me to be the reaction I heard from people.
Speaker 3: Definitely.
Speaker 4: You know, it's hard to get him to, you know, pick a side on some of those questions when he's as he said, I'm forty eight hours in the job. I still have a lot of conversations have But there were big moments and just his overall enthusiasm I really liked. Especially my favorite part of the whole thing is when he said, I'm not looking for where to put sec Nation, I'm looking for where we're putting college game day. That was exciting.
Speaker 2: So that seemed to be the line that got the most attention, this idea of we're not because look, I.
Speaker 3: Don't mind this. But there was certainly in the Mitch Barnhart even Mark.
Speaker 2: Stoops to some extent, although Stoops would say, look, I want to win, but they both would start all conversations about competitives and competitiveness. Ryan they would say something like we're in the hardest league, you know, it's very hard. The other teams aren't getting and it always kind of felt like they would say we're going for it, but then be like, now realize everything's difficult.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: With both Will Stein and Jay Batt, there's no but it's hard. They are just like, we are going for titles and you're bringing game day here. I have to tell you I like that talk. I mean, let us do the caveats. I kind of want to hear from them. Let's knock it down.
Speaker 5: No, yeah butts. Remember a conversation you had with Mark Doups. One time you said, Mark, you gotta stop saying yeao butt.
Speaker 3: Well we did one time off the air. I said that to him.
Speaker 2: Did because he was big on yet and he said, because Mark used to win. When we would go to break, Mark would go, how do you think it's going? Because he was cognizant of how many people were listening. But you're right, Ryan, he would then, And one time I said to him, he did, no more yeah butts, just say what you feel.
Speaker 5: They do not yeah but No. Bat or Stein neither want to go to do a yeao butt. I think Bat came across very personal, very charismatic, and very much in tune with the fans with something that's been missing I think last twenty years.
Speaker 3: I do too.
Speaker 2: He didn't do as much of this as he did the first time I talked to him, but drew a lot of talk about revenue and I and this is gonna be I think the storyline of the next two to three years for Kentucky fans is this balance between they've got to generate revenue and how much is too much to ask of the fan base. And I don't know how that's gonna play out. You know, he talked about they were bringing twenty five million dollars in new suites, but then he was very quick to say, you don't have to have a ticket to feel like a thing. I think it'll be interesting on the next couple of years. I think this is going to be the storyline of at least big picture UK Athletics. UK's desire to raise revenue versus do you like, just start to gouge.
Speaker 4: Fans so much? And I think that's gonna be a tough balance. It is, but he has the right mindset, you know. I think we fell behind with the last regime, not you know, committing to the nil era quick enough and that seems to be extreme in the other direction if he understands the importance of having money and fundraising. He also keeps saying, everybody, just do one more thing, even if that's where you're hat another day or buy an extra ticket. He's very big on asking fans just to whatever, you know, pot they're in, just do a little bit more.
Speaker 3: Even little thing. I mean, I look at all the folks.
Speaker 2: Most people have some form of a Kentucky shirt on today or hat or whatever. He did In a different interview, Ryan say essentially, hey, Everyboddy, get ready, we're selling jersey patches. I didn't ask him about that, but he did an interview with Maggie Davis where he said that do you think that's going to be controversial to people? Other teams are already doing it. There's teams that are putting it out this year. We don't have one yet. It's coming. It might be announced any day probably. What do you think people's reactions good?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Billy and I just talked about this on the pre show. I read a thing where and Notre Dame fans were losing their mind because Notre Dame football is gonna have a patch on those iconic Notre Dame football jerseys. I think there'll be a section of our fan base that will react negatively having a patch on these UK basketball uniforms.
Speaker 3: For sure. Doesn't it matter a little bit, Drew, what it is? It does?
Speaker 4: I saw the seriously you see the Monster logo on the big twelve courts. There's already been a leak of it. There's just a big Monster logo right line. Looks ridiculous.
Speaker 3: I think it'll Matt.
Speaker 2: You know, you get something you get like Sharman tissue paper, it's not quite the same as if you get something with a little more m I think.
Speaker 3: And you gotta go big on it.
Speaker 4: Don't get a ten year deal for a couple of million like you are selling the Kentucky basketball jersey.
Speaker 3: This needs to be a huge revenue driver.
Speaker 2: Well, if you look at when they sold the rights to Kroger Field, at the time, that seemed like a pretty good deal, and now it actually ended up kind of a bargain for Kroger, and that if you look at how much this stuff's going for, they actually ended up under selling it. At the time, you thought, man, they're paying a ton of money. But now these other stadiums are getting significantly more, so I do think you have to be careful when you sign the deal.
Speaker 5: So what about the patch? We talked about this It says Morgan and Morgan, and you got a Morgan and Morgan patch on your twitch. Is something that could little legit happen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I do think it matters what it is, and it probably shouldn't. I think you gotta get the color scheme right, like if it's blue and white, let's just use your Morgan more. You don't want to be a Geel logo on it. So I do think little things like that agree they will make a difference.
Speaker 3: I think the best one they can get.
Speaker 4: And I don't know if the other side will be involved, but Toyota has a lot of money and that's a big brand and they're in your backyard.
Speaker 3: I would think that could be one that would I would think.
Speaker 2: Whatever they put on that jersey is the most valuable thing they're selling at UK. To me, it's even more important because there's still people who call it Commonwealth state. Yeah, but that jersey, just think about I mean, there's no picture, no video you can see without it.
Speaker 3: I would think it'll be the most important thing that they sell. The Sacred Cloth.
Speaker 2: Home to Swites here in Summerset, part of the Hilton and Thoroughbred Hospitality Group, Great Crab. We filled up the lobby this morning. People are just staying at the hotel like this. Lady gotta be like, what in the world is going on here? That's all right, enjoy your work day, man. We'll take a break and be right back. This is Kentucky Sports Radio. Where the back it is Kentucky Sports Radio here at Home to Sweets opening in Somerset, part of a group of hotels in Somerset, Hampton in comfort In twenty one c and Lexington as well, all part of the hospitality group UH Hotel Well Group, all across the state of Kentucky. A five nine, twenty two eighty seven. I'm gonna go to the phones if I want to hear what people thought about Jay Batt and getting ready to TBT. I will say with TBT and the attendance, I know a lot of people who don't go to a lot of UK sporting events. Ryan telling me they're going Sunday that they've watched the games on TV and they look so much fun.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: The crowd was bigger for the last game than it was for the game before. I kind of think it'll be the same on Sunday.
Speaker 5: Talking to my guy here wearing the LO familiar shirt, he said, lower bowls already sold out?
Speaker 3: Is that really? Is that right?
Speaker 6: Wow?
Speaker 3: Lower balls already sold out? Okay, so that means we're gonna have a big crow.
Speaker 5: So I immediately got online and bought my two upper ena tickets. Just make sure you have to sit.
Speaker 3: In the top row like Bob Uker.
Speaker 5: I don't mind sitting up there. You getta get a better view the court using U high little bit.
Speaker 3: One person rights, Matt.
Speaker 2: If we lose on Sunday, do you think David Steele will have to buy the patches on the jersey? Maybe if they want to save their if they want to save their reputation.
Speaker 4: Be impressive if they could afford the UK logo. It's already amazing that they've got a TBT team when it sounds like most of the people around here weren't even familiar with them.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, hey, good for them.
Speaker 5: Somebody got brought up a good point. If it's KFC, which is another possibility, but their logo is red Red CA.
Speaker 2: You can, you have to do a different logo. By the way, shout out to the front row the ski. You brought a ski? That is uh, you know, you know exactly where you are in the state when you get a ski, like you're within an hour of here when you get when you get a ski, one person rights Matt. Who gets the money from the Jersey patch. Is it Jami or UK? That's a really good question. I mean, I I think it's Jami. So Jmi rights a check every year to UK. That's basically UK. You get all of this money and then it is Jami's job to go make that money back through using the UK logo. So I would assume I don't know this for sure, but I would assume that the patch would go to Jami. Also note Jmi's the one that's out there signing these revenue are a big part of the of the picking of the players in the revenue. So I think it all goes to the same thing. So that's my guess, Drew. I don't know that for sure, but that's my guess. That's the way I'd guess too. I mean, that's what they're buying is the opportunity to go out and sell the UK brand, and that'd be one of their biggest things they could sell there. So I guess that'd go to them, and then in turn would go to the Melons and everybody on the team. Tonight, by the way, Billy's bachelor party. His fiance is sitting right over there. We're not gonna tell you how tonight's going. Don't ask, don't tell. I think Bill Clinton started that many years ago on a different topic, and uh, I think that's what what what you should do. Have you you haven't been to very many remotes? Have you been a handful? But yeah, so it's nice you made the trip to Somerset. Are you excited for this evening?
Speaker 3: I am.
Speaker 5: I don't really know what we're doing out after dinner, but I'm gonna take a nap this afternoon.
Speaker 2: We're not gonna talk about what we're doing after dinner. It's a bachelor party. This is not for public consumption after dinner.
Speaker 5: I haven't been to a bachelor party in probably thirty years, so this will be.
Speaker 3: Have you been out past ten o'clock in thirty years?
Speaker 5: Very rarely?
Speaker 3: Do we know that he'll be out past ten o'clock today? You're staying. You're staying out.
Speaker 5: I want to stay as long as I can go early, Mario.
Speaker 3: Your job is to keep him staying out. You can't go. Listen. I don't stay out a lot either, But you got it? Like this is? This is once in a lifetime for Billy.
Speaker 5: I'm usually in bed by eleven o'clock tonight.
Speaker 3: You're gonna be later. You got it? Can you do it?
Speaker 5: I'm gonna try.
Speaker 4: That sounds like no, Mario, you got a band of brothers ron early morning tomorrow.
Speaker 5: What do you have tomorrow to get in the car and go places?
Speaker 4: Okay, well you need to sounds like cal and that press conference he left. He just gonna go get to my car, got to go, get.
Speaker 3: To your car. No, you're you're You're gonna make it happen.
Speaker 4: And if you see us out tonight, you can give Billy, uh, buy Billy a drink?
Speaker 5: Are we wearing brown tonight?
Speaker 2: Apparently not? Apparently we're not wearing brown. Okay, you can wear whatever you want. Who's up next?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're wearing brown? What would you say?
Speaker 5: Rick?
Speaker 3: Oh? Okay, Zach is up next. Zach, go ahead, Zach.
Speaker 7: Matt, How are you this morning?
Speaker 3: Doing good?
Speaker 7: Sorry to take up little bit of time. I've been driving around Kentucky for the last year, and in the last few weeks I've seen more of these slot cameras going up all over the place. I've got two questions on it. Where's all the money coming from to pay for these blot cameras? And can they allegedly also track your phones and get up there, uh your information off of them when you're driving by.
Speaker 2: So more people have sent me information about the flock when we talked about the flock cameras, I think appreciate the call. Now a couple of weeks ago, I have had more people write me with flock flock pro and con propaganda than anything, and I think where I come down on it is still the same. I understand there are really good uses for it, but I think the potential for abuse is so high I wouldn't do it. But this is literally something towns are using to As to your question where the money's coming from, I actually think Flock gives the cities the cameras in order to charge a fee that goes for a long time. So I think there's not necessarily for a lot of these cities a major upfront costs, which is why they're all wanting to do it because they don't have to find a lot of time, they don't have to find a lot of money in their budget because they're being given it for then the annual subscription. It's like when Columbia House when used to be able to get twelve CDs for a penny. I think that's kind of what it is. Yeah, and I saw this one in Kentucky, but I forgot to stay. It was nearby, but someone with access to it, they were tracking their ex and they're where their car was going and they just fall us to like thirty days. That's the stuff that they have to get on. I mean, they're gonna go out there and tell you look, they can catch, you know, a murderer or a pedophile, and no one would disagree with that.
Speaker 3: But the question is what about the guy who's the.
Speaker 2: Disgruntled officer who follows his X around and then go beats up the you know like it's it can be abused, and you just have to ask yourself, are we willing to live like that? And then what happens one day when we get somebody in power who then sells that information to private companies which.
Speaker 3: You know that will do that.
Speaker 2: So there'll be some leader do so that's my opposition to it. We will take a break and be right back here in Somerset. This is Kentucky Sports Radio.
Speaker 3: Waterback.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky Sports Radio. Here live at home to Sweets. The hospitality group invests throughout Kentucky. They also have Hampton in Nicholsville, the Sleep Inn in Georgetown, and the Spark by Hilton, which I've never heard about in Shepherdsville, which is Shannon Dude can a country.
Speaker 4: That we're talking about walking the neighborhood earlier. The owner lives in my neighborhood. We passed each other on our walks, so we cut a carpool. Now you know, you only have to wave at him once. A five nine two eight Ozho twenty two eighty seven. One person writes, Matt, I like the Jay Batt interview. He seems like a normal human being, which was something that always frustrated me about Mitch.
Speaker 2: I think Mitch was normal. He was just like he was like the hall monitor in school. Like I don't know if they still do hall monitors, but I mean he was kind of the guy that, like, hey, teacher, you forgot to assign our homework. I always kind of felt like he was that Jay Batt seems like a little bit more, you know. I think he would be like the preppy guy that hangs out at the country.
Speaker 3: Club but also will throw a party at his house.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Mitch just wasn't giving off a lot of energy in interviews. I mean, I en'n had football players tell me the best nap they got all you was when Mitch came and talked to the team like it just he did a lot of good things, but his personality wasn't.
Speaker 3: A big, raw raw guy. I'm looking around to make sure this doesn't apply to anybody here. Yeah, I think it doesn't.
Speaker 2: Okay, he buttoned the top button on his polo, like that's all you need to know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right. Well you got him way out there, man. No, no, no, no, that's how I do it too.
Speaker 2: But like the top button, I think that's what I always would notice. If you got the top button on your polo, you're probably a little bit of a you know.
Speaker 5: I thought he came across very charismatic personal guy, and like we said during the show, I found out everything I need to know about that guy when he walked in and shook the hand of every fan that was there yesterday.
Speaker 3: Not I like that.
Speaker 5: I think I spoke a lot of the kind of person he is.
Speaker 3: He was like Betty Crocker getting in the mix. One person writes, he was all up in the mix. By the way, that did exist.
Speaker 2: I think that that quote was used in a movie in like the nineteen sixties.
Speaker 3: Somebody sent me.
Speaker 5: Well, I used it for twenty years of my house. Challenge everybody to use it this weekend in some capacity.
Speaker 3: I will not.
Speaker 2: One person writes, Matt, the most depressed thing that has happened and you on your show this week was finding out that Mark Pope gets an automatic year's extension for a sweet sixteen. Can you tell me something about basketball to make me forget that?
Speaker 3: Well, I mean, you know that bothered me.
Speaker 2: I don't know how I didn't know that, because that's pretty egregious, but it is what it is.
Speaker 3: We're not gonna be able to change that.
Speaker 2: If you want something positive, I had a friend get to see the last workout they had, which was a few days ago, and tells me that my get on the hype train of Alex Wilkins is correct that you know, they said you stick with him being the best player because he will be. They really liked him a lot. Now they said his body build is the such that he ain't he ain't guarding anybody.
Speaker 3: Oh he's very skinny, I said next to him at TV.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not gonna be He's built kind of like Jasper Johnson. But he'll make shots, whereas Jasper Johnson wasn't always able to make shots. So he was like, be excited about Alex Wilkins. So there you go. That's a good counter to the sweet sixteen thing.
Speaker 5: I think our backcourt, there's no doubt Zoom Diallo is the leader. Everybody says he this is his team, make no mistake about it. Alex Wilkins in at the two guard dynamic, who's next in line there? That's that's my one of my considers.
Speaker 2: One of things I think we have to think about is again, I'm not trying to be a bummer. I'm just trying to tell you, like, we're gonna be awful defensively. Maybe we're gonna be let me maybe not awful. We're gonna be not good defensively. I didn't get we're not gonna be able to guard people. So Zoom, Alex Wilkins, Melon, what's the amount of points that group of three has to average?
Speaker 3: Who? Total?
Speaker 2: Fifty five is about where I it's a big ass. I mean, that's a big ass for three people. But I'm kind of at fifty five. And you know, let's say we give Malachi thirteen. Maybe maybe you say between those four you gotta get to the high sixties. I genuine I mean maybe mid sixties. But like it's a lot because I just think the other teams are gonna score a lot on our back court, Zoom Diallo and Alex Wilkins. I think they're gonna be dynamic offensively, but they have to be because I don't know. I'm not sure when the last time we'll have had a backcourt that can guard less than those two.
Speaker 4: I haven't seen Wilkins play, but we got twenty minutes with him in an interview last week.
Speaker 3: I loved it.
Speaker 4: He's very confident, but he specifically said people are sleeping.
Speaker 3: On our defense. I am yeah.
Speaker 4: I kind of looked around the room like what nothing, But he said one thing that gets overlooked. Maybe they're not gonna be great on ball, but they have a lot of LinkedIn. The coach they hope is coaching them up about getting in pad lanes and creating turnovers.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be interesting to see if he has to do ryding some like gimmicks.
Speaker 3: Defensively, I don't.
Speaker 2: Think he can play like when they're playing Florida and when they're playing Alabama, even when they're playing Louisville. They're not gonna be able to guard straight man to man, whether that's his zone or whether it's trapping. They're gonna have to do something to get some of these teams.
Speaker 5: And they've got all this link. That may be the best strategy. You know, you can't man up with somebody, you can't out muscle somebody. Maybe with their link they can play.
Speaker 2: They do a lot of length on the wings. Yeah, so that's gonna be good. They will have a lot of lenked on the wings. But well, we'll have to see about the rest of it.
Speaker 4: Yesterday, Cam Williams said he doesn't expect to miss any games, so that could be taken as a positive.
Speaker 3: That was good news yesterday. Who's up next? Rob is up next? Rob? Go ahead? Rob?
Speaker 8: Hey, guys love the show. Love it that you're down in southeastern Kentucky. Hey, Matt, personal note. I just have to tell you I had the honor of meeting your parents a couple of weeks ago at a memorial service for former assistant commonwealth attorney down there, and your mom is wonderful.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 8: Yeah, the stories she told about mister Lundy and three amigos. My father in law is one of those amigos, Roger Johnson, who's down in Pineville, and he's kind of the last of those three. But she was just wonderful to meet and just so eloquent, and the stories she told, and you know, the nature of everything, it was just just great. And I wanted to make sure to give you that information. And then if you could just give her a thank you for me and all of our family.
Speaker 2: Well, well, she will hear this, so I will make sure she knows thank you very much. Yeah, she did his eulogy, and I'm glad you mentioned that because he passed over while I was gone. My mom's former assistant, who it was ninety three years old, longtime lawyer, did cases in this town as well, Low Lundy, and many years ago, the first iteration of Jones and Bruce. We rented a room in his office to have a Pineval office. So he passed away at ninety three. So I appreciate you saying that, who's up next?
Speaker 3: Charlie is up that, Charlie. Go ahead, Charlie.
Speaker 9: Hey Matt, how you doing doing good?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 9: First off, I love the interview with Jay Matt. I thought he he's exactly what we need. And his suit was really cool, and he seems like a guy that you'd want to give your money to.
Speaker 3: But no, I agree with that. I can see on that point.
Speaker 2: I can see how he raises money right, Like he's got a money raisor thing going.
Speaker 3: Like. You could see how he's good at that. Right.
Speaker 5: He's a good talker and he's trustworthy, and that's what you want. You're gonna donate money and dedicate money to the athletic program.
Speaker 2: I don't like asking for money. I actually hate it. That's a dude. I can see asking for money like just the way he does it, I could see it.
Speaker 3: But go ahead, well, you and Billy.
Speaker 9: It is totally foul to go to a restaurant ten minutes before they close. That's like up on my list of the biggest scumbag, Billy, I hate that's the worst worst thing you can do. Besides I got on eat. It's worse than like not picking up after your dog.
Speaker 3: Really, is it that bad? Yes? Yeah?
Speaker 9: Can imagine like you have a single you have a single mother, you're taking thirty minutes away from her kid at night because you can't just get a takeout. Just go to the restaurant at least thirty minutes before they close. If it's after thirty minutes, get takeout.
Speaker 2: Okay, But again, to play devil's advocate, while Billy, Well, first of all, Billy's on Billy, do you agree with him that that decision is a scumbag decision that you have.
Speaker 10: I don't, especially comparing it to leaving dog droppings. That is a completely different level of Billy.
Speaker 3: Hey, Billy, hey, body.
Speaker 9: Stick to do your facts.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: Well, the good thing about Billy having the same opinion as you do is that he will express it in a way that makes people much angrier than I do.
Speaker 3: And I appreciate that about Billy.
Speaker 2: You get the heat because I don't disc I mean, you said she spends thirty minutes later, and that's true, but I mean she is getting paid for those thirty minutes as what not hourly. Yes, but if you tip, That's why I said. Now, if you don't tip big when you come in l then I will agree that scumbag behavior.
Speaker 10: But if you tip, well, then you know and I agree with that. I mean, you should be considerate in tip. Well, but those hours are like that for a reason. If you don't want me to come in, then just say we're not taking any more orders after this time, and that would be pretty simple.
Speaker 3: Well, then, Billy, you have.
Speaker 9: That's up to the owner.
Speaker 10: Well, then get a different job, like I don't know, no, no, no, no, if you don't want it.
Speaker 2: I just saw Marissa's face. She was like, Billy, no, Billy, that's not you don't want it.
Speaker 3: That's not a rat. Now, don't get a different job, like, don't don't be don't be doing that.
Speaker 10: Well a lot of times, you know, they can still clean up while I'm eating.
Speaker 3: But I'm you know, I'm gonna give you the break.
Speaker 6: If I'm not eighty seven, I'm not gonna I'm gonna let you say. I'm gonna save you from yourself. Football season is almost dear across Kentucky. Players are heading back to practices.
Speaker 2: They're gonna be out on the sidelines and you're gonna be watching them, and you wanna.
Speaker 3: Make sure hours outside you could end up with damage to your skin.
Speaker 2: So go to the Kentucky Skin Cancer Center Bowling Green, Franklin, Glasgow, which is not far from here, Owensboro and Powderly Expert skin Care. You can get facials, but you can also check it out. A lot of you may have things that can be quickly taken off. I get them, I get them taken off quickly. You can do it as well Kentucky Skin Cancercenter dot com.
Speaker 3: You're more than a patient your family.
Speaker 2: It takes like ten minutes to get those little's right.
Speaker 3: Take care of your skin. That's a rare sunscreen. That's right.
Speaker 2: We'll take a break and be right back here in Somerset at Home to Sweets.
Speaker 3: This is kay. It's on working back.
Speaker 2: It is Kentucky Sports Radio here live at Home to Sweets in Summerset. Ryan, give me we try to do this when we go to place. Give me your two three best Somerset athletes.
Speaker 5: Reggie Hanson. I guess you got to put him in at the top right what he did down here Plaska County there's a baseball player named Josh Anderson that ended up playing the big leagues. Dent from down here. Uh Kiris Shuron, a former UK quarterback here.
Speaker 2: Ended up he played in that game when Will Levis got hurt off South Carolina he had to play.
Speaker 5: You know, suppose would be my top three, just off the top of my hid.
Speaker 2: So since we're since we're playing David Steele here, what about your biggest Russell County athlete.
Speaker 5: Bob and Jamestown.
Speaker 4: He's dressed like an athlete today. Bob. You you love.
Speaker 3: Showing off those shoulders, don't you? You like it?
Speaker 2: Guns out, Sun's out, guns out for Bob and Jamestown.
Speaker 3: That's all right? Oh oh wow.
Speaker 5: Well he's a former Reilrold guy.
Speaker 3: He's got a big low down, Bob. There we go. H one person rides Matt.
Speaker 2: You obviously have done no research into Kentucky's personnel. We are gonna be good defensively, Evan Maya says, a top fifteen defensive team.
Speaker 3: You continually prove.
Speaker 2: DeMarcus Cousin's statement right that we shouldn't listen to you about basketball. You are not grounded in reality. Well, how do you really feel? Six one, four, two oh three. This is an entertainment show. You don't have to agree with me, but it won't be very good show if we don't give opinions. And if you give an opinion, you're gonna sometimes be wrong.
Speaker 3: That's life.
Speaker 2: I'd like to see you six one four, two oh three get up and talk for ten hours every week and not say something that will be incorrect. I hope I'm wrong. I'd love to come up here and say I thought, listen, I've come on the air the last two years and said we're gonna be awesome and we weren't. Nobody gets mad when you say we're gonna be good and we weren't. I think we have a chance to be good this year, but I think it's gonna be all scoring points. I don't think we're gonna be good defensively, and I hope i'm wrong.
Speaker 4: We'll see top fifteen in defense if they're If they get up to that, then yeah, we're having a greely. I mean, we love Milan, but.
Speaker 2: Much he's me guard right, and I mean Mark Pope said on this show that Zoom Diallo's defense was not his strength. So there's two of your five guys right there. We've seen Malachop play defense pretty good but can be overpowered depending on the situation. And then Alex Wilkins is sixty four one. I mean, you see how big he is. So tell me where, tell me where the defensive stars are that are gonna be able to lock people down in the starting lineup. Now, I do think you have good defenders coming off the bench, but my worry is when they come off the bench, you're taking a huge drop in offense with those guys like Frank is gonna be a good defender, yep, but he's not a score right, So so you just it's gonna be a balance Ryan. It'll be up to Mark Pope to figure it out.
Speaker 5: I think Justin McBride could be that guy that maybe could have provided some some defensive it time. Just because of that, he may.
Speaker 2: End up starting, at which point he might be the best defender we have on the floor in the starting line.
Speaker 4: He's still more of an offense first guy though. I don't know if any of them are gonna be really good defenders, but collectively, with that link, maybe they can be something.
Speaker 2: One person rides Matt, You've gone a long time, and I know it's hurt you not to make a statement about what Andy Basheer should do with Mitch McConnell. There's nothing he can do. I mean, that's an I get mad at my fellow Democrats yelling about Andy needs to there's nothing he can do, he does, he has no power. They want him to like go to the hospital and storm in like a madman, like what he can't do anything. It's a it's a terrible situation. I feel bad. Obviously Mitch mcconn's not in good health. My prayers to him. I also think he probably ought to resign if he can't do his job. But there's nothing that Andy Basheer can.
Speaker 3: Do about it.
Speaker 2: And everybody people on my side screaming at him do something.
Speaker 3: Sound like absolute morons.
Speaker 2: It's like when people were yelling do something about Mitch Barnhard, What do you want must to do?
Speaker 3: Like, we can't do it. He can't do anything. It's a federal office.
Speaker 2: He doesn't have the power to do anything they want him to. I saw somebody on tvgo he needs to go to the hospital and like demand an answer.
Speaker 3: With the camera, just storm in. Who I mean, you would arrest him?
Speaker 2: You can't just run into people's hospital room. I just don't know what they want.
Speaker 3: Him to do.
Speaker 4: And he's run in, put a camera in his face and get a comment from him, is what it sounds like.
Speaker 3: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 2: I mean, but but you know, maybe we can stand riding out there. He's a journalist at heart to go stand outside.
Speaker 5: It's kind of a sad situation. I mean, the man is obviously not in good health, you know, and it's it's a tough situation I think for the tier.
Speaker 2: Did you see what happened in Chicago? Yes, I mean, Billy, this is this is kind of sad, kind of fun. So, you know, Kyle Shanahan has been in a car accident, right, bad car accident, you know, can't coach right now, has like forty stitches in his face. Hopefully he's okay, but there's been no picture of him. And somebody at a Chicago news station got fooled by meme on the internet where they had Kyle Shanahan with Elaine Chow and that Mitch McConnell picture in the hospital, same shirt and hat, and they had Kyle Shanahan's face and they put it up like it was the real picture.
Speaker 5: Put it on the news.
Speaker 2: Here's a picture of Kyle Shanahan in the hospital, and you're like, how did no one?
Speaker 3: How did no one realize that was not it.
Speaker 10: Taken for something at face value they see on the internet.
Speaker 3: You can't do it. You cannot believe the internet.
Speaker 5: And forty stitches on his face, you would have think there.
Speaker 3: Was not one scratch. It's like, what are you doing? Who's next?
Speaker 6: Canaan, Go ahead, Canaan, Hey, Matt, A couple of things here.
Speaker 11: First off, one sad. First, I'm twenty years old, about to graduate college, you know, great, about to be engaged. I was seven years old when we last made a final four. O yeven, I don't I don't even remember it.
Speaker 3: Do you? You don't remember it? But man, that makes me feel old. You don't remember twenty fifteen.
Speaker 11: My first UK basketball memory is Whenyan Gabriel.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, well, what do you remember about when you and Gabriel?
Speaker 5: The player of the picture that why.
Speaker 3: Why can't you just leave it? Like why do you have to pound the joke?
Speaker 2: Like the joke was good without you smashing it into the ground. That's again, I know Ryan's back, He's ruining humor, go ahead.
Speaker 11: Uh No, I just remember I don't know, he dunked one time and I was like, huh, this is kind of cool, and then I was hooked everything. But no, my first like real team is Tyler. You listen to Aaron Pollock twenty fifteen is scouring to me, Well.
Speaker 3: It's been I appreciate it. Thought, it's been a long time.
Speaker 2: That's been your point, Drew like, it's been a long time, and we need to get back because it's been a long time.
Speaker 3: Is this our longest Final Four drought? Are we there yet? So? I think we're probably there.
Speaker 4: Also, we all know, you know, stories passed down for generations. It's inherited. I worry if this gap gets too long where people have lived twenty years and their memory is winning, Gabriel, how long the tradition continues? When you don't when you have an entire generation that's not gonna have much success and we don't.
Speaker 3: Get some thinking.
Speaker 2: Okay, so we made the Final Four in ninety eight and then the next time was twenty eleven, so that was thirteen years. So we're not in the longest gap yet, but Ryan, we're.
Speaker 3: Getting very close.
Speaker 5: We're sniffing at it.
Speaker 3: We're sniffing at it, and that's that's a problem. We're gonna take a break.
Speaker 5: We'll come back.
Speaker 3: Our number two here live in Summerset, at home to sweets. This is KSR.