Speaker 1: In twenty fifteen, Nick Keoronsky started a small company designed to help people with their foreign currency exchanges. Today that company is Revolute. It is the most valuable pre IPO company in all of Europe. I had a chance recently in Washington, DC to sit down with Nick Keoronsky to talk about his amazing story how he grew a very small company into such a giant financial behemoth. Let's talk about Revolute because it's a company that's based in UK, focus more on Europe than the United States. We'll get to that in a moment, but let's talk about what it does for the American audience. For example, what is Revolute? What does it actually do well?
Speaker 2: I wrote, it does a digital bank, so we provide global banking services for our people in more than fourty countries. So everything is expected into one simple up. So you can do your banking, You can do a wealth management, stock trading, CDs, bones, crypt can borrow mania also have a lifestyle service. For example, it can get yourself or you can book a lounge, you can book a hotel and so on. So everything is in one up for your financial services.
Speaker 1: Do you have a partner to start it with?
Speaker 2: I actually started alone. So I built a product, I hired a team, then one fire first siture that I hired, so later made him or I think it was till seventeen eighteen. I made him co founder as well because it was easier for him to kind of, you know, recruit engineers if he had title co founder.
Speaker 1: So you start the company and the mission you had was to enable people to do what that they couldn't do. What was your purpose in starting a company?
Speaker 2: So I was a trader back then, and then I'm very quick in calculating numbers in my head. And then every time when I went abroad or when I send money, I could instantly calculate, okay I lost here, ten dollars, fifty dollars and so on. And my initial idea was to build a product, a simple up with a cut at tasted that allows you to spend money anywhere in the world at interomand create so saving effects to fifty to seventy dollars and every one thousand dollars that you spent.
Speaker 1: In other words, you weren't trying to convert people's currency. You were letting them have a card that would enable them to buy something and whatever currency they wanted.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's both right. You can pre exchange currency or you can buy directly from your existing currency.
Speaker 1: Normally throughout Europe. When you go to Europe, you see everywhere currency exchange places and they always charge a fee. I don't remember what it is, six seven percent. So you decided to start a currency exchange business without charging a fee.
Speaker 2: You can call currency exchange businesses intermand create without charging a few.
Speaker 1: Correctly, you didn't go out and build a physical bank. You did it all online, is that right?
Speaker 2: Exactly?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So how did you get people to know about this service? Did you start advertising online anything?
Speaker 2: We didn't spend any single marketing for the was five to some years for being in operation, so it was all a road of mouth. So I remember when I finally launched the product. It was somewher twenty fifteen, and I physically, you know, I was selling my product to friends, family, even on people I don't know.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if I go to one then today and I say, here's ten dollars and I wanted to change it on a regular place that I would get back pounds minus about a six seven eight percent fee. So if I went on your service, what would I get back if I when I get back everything with birth CERTA essentially no fee exactly. Then you make the money in effect on the float because you're getting paid by somebody, and then you kind of can invest that money and then you don't have to pay somebody for a while. Is that how you make the.
Speaker 2: Money several time when you were spent with a cod MESSI defectly pay pays two to three percent. Yeah, okay, well that's not customer pain but rather a business itself. But I want to be clear that was initial product in twenty fifteen. Now, especially for your customers, we have fully kind of licensed digital bank providing all kinds of services.
Speaker 1: You have a European banking license, now, is that right?
Speaker 2: So we have European Bank all so we are regulated by European Central Bank. We have a UK banking license regulated by PRA. Then we also have multiple other licenses for example Mexico, Columbia, Toison.
Speaker 1: And you're now applying for a US banking license. Correct, How long does it take to get a US banking license?
Speaker 2: Right now? It should take out up to twelve months, but again it depends, so official target is four months. But then there are multiple steps involved, it can be longer.
Speaker 1: Are you confident that you can get a banking license in the United States? You think you'll get it?
Speaker 2: I think it's obviously much easier for us given a new administration, plus that we have so many other banking licenses, plus we have a bank lesson you Cano, So for us it became much easier compared to two years ago.
Speaker 1: Do you have a credit card business as well?
Speaker 2: You will have credit cars in several markets, yes.
Speaker 1: Is that? And you have credit cards and debit cards.
Speaker 2: We have debit casts in every single market and the credit cards I think in five or six markets. So in Europe have twenty percent plantration, so one out of five adults in Europe they use Revelute cars and then as certn mIRC as we have much high penetration. For example, in Ireland we have four out of five adults using Revelute.
Speaker 1: So younger people seem to like things that are called cryptocurrencies. Are you involved in cryptocurrencies? Do you trade cryptocurrencies or make markets for people?
Speaker 2: So as a business, we have a pretty large crypto currency business. I think we are the largest. We have the largest crypto business in Europe with our volumes personally, I don't speculate crypto, but I use it sometimes, you know, for transfers.
Speaker 1: So in the United States, what do you hope to be able to do with your banking license if you get it? What is the market gap that you think you can feel that maybe others aren't doing.
Speaker 2: So basically I mentioned a radioh retail business. So it's one simple up where you can do everything what you need for your financial life. And then second direction, well also provide the revolute business accounts for businesses. And again it's end to end services that you need to run your business. So payments, banking, credit will come as well, wealth management or treasury, well call it treasury, then acquiring as well. So for example, right now, if I'm an American company, I'll need to stop say Stripe for acquiring, then GPY Morgan for my business banking. Then you know, something else for payouts, something else for payroll. So we provide all these services in one product.
Speaker 1: Well, if you conquer the US the way you've conquered the UK and Europe, is China next, or you're not going to focus on that?
Speaker 2: Eis your way Definitely focusing, So spending a lot of time studying Asia and then as a sarch. So we applied it for multiple banking licenses in Asia as well, and then some of them but we got already. And then China is on the least as well. You know, one day I hope we can set up a business there.
Speaker 1: Now, some people have written that your bank revelute is worth seventy five billion dollars? Have you ever thought of taking your organization public?
Speaker 2: But the way I think about it will be ready to probably in two year's time. But then again depends on how good the market is.
Speaker 1: Bench you don't have an IPO, how do people who work for you make some money? You make a market for people to sell their shares internally?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so we do secondaries every one or two years when people can sell certain portion of their stocks to excel investors.
Speaker 1: So you've done secondary sales for your employees, so employees can then get some liquidity. Do you expect before you go public you'll do any more of those or you're just going to wait to you go public before you liquefy any more stock.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think so we might do secondaries as well before we do IPO, because we do it every one or two years. So we might do a second results.
Speaker 1: All right, Well, if anybody wants to sell their shares to me, let me know. And have any investment bankers told you why they're the best to do the IPO for you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, obviously every single one is the best.
Speaker 1: Everyone is the best. You're not in a rush to do it.
Speaker 2: You don't need the money, so we a bank. And then for the bank, it's super important to have trust. And then public companies are trusted and more compared to private companies. So there's the reason.
Speaker 1: What are you most proud of having done so far and what do you most enjoy?
Speaker 2: Well, it's basically designing something, designing solution to solve a problem that I see it are being realized, and then are using it. That's what I enjoy when I see some elegant solution.
Speaker 1: Many people think that companies like yours, which are often called fin tech companies financial technology companies are changing the world dramatically, but they could be changed dramatically. So for example, artificial intelligence is coming along. You worried about ourtificial intelligence? Or do you use artificial intelligence to help grow your company?
Speaker 2: An additional tool that we obviously use and I think with LLM chatbots, so it's another surface on top of the infrastructure that we build, because banking is not a simple UP right under UP you have a lot of back end, a lot of systems, and a lot of regulatory systems and so on. And then UP is effective interface to all this back end logic. And then LLM can be something on top of the UP or directly interacting with our back end logic. So call it another interface. That's what we're building as well and allowing people to interact with all our products through Childbot.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about how you came to start the company. So you are doesn't sound like you're a native of England from your.
Speaker 2: Accent, originally from Russia. So it came to u K first in two thousand and six for the internship, then in two thousand and seven I came for another internship afterwards our estate to be employed by Leman Brothers as a trader.
Speaker 1: And at what age did you leave Russia?
Speaker 2: Twenty years old? And then as soon as I finished my university I moved to London to work full time for Leman Brothers.
Speaker 1: And were your parents educated? Are they math specialists or they have computer training or not?
Speaker 2: So my father he is a physicist by training. My mother, she's a teacher.
Speaker 1: I assume you're a pretty good math student or a physics student or something because you have technology background.
Speaker 2: I assume yeah, I was always trained in mass physics as well.
Speaker 1: Right, So you go to England and did you have a job lined up before you got there?
Speaker 2: So Lyman Brothers came to my university and then they tried to recruit some people for the internship. So they recruited me for internship. I came there in summer two thousand and six, and then they invited miss for second internship in the spring two thousand and seven, and they also gave me a job for a full time when I graduated from my university. So when I graduated in July, I think it was July two thousand and seven, I came to London to rock full time for Lehman Brothers.
Speaker 1: Didn't Leman go under at some point.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and eight, Yes, I wasn't Are you there then?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was there. I was one of probably two hundred people on the trading floor. It all happened. I still remember. There was Sunday evening announcement and then I was wondering I could do I need to come on Monday morning to my kind of job? So I came and then we had all these two hundred traders locked at one trading floor. Everything, all the systems were locked, and we're all playing the same game. I think it was a game shooting helicopters or something, all all two hurrying people because there was nothing to do.
Speaker 1: So did you think capitalism wasn't such a great system at that point when you go to Lehman Brothers and they go bankrupt and you're out of work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was full of confidence right about myself. I was not afraid to lose the job because I knew I can always find any one.
Speaker 1: So did you have a hard time finding another job? No?
Speaker 2: I got kind of a job from the Mura and then from Credit.
Speaker 1: Swiss as well. All right, and so where did you go?
Speaker 2: I went to Cratsis, I went to Credit Swiss.
Speaker 1: They've had their problems too. Actually, did you leave Credit Swiss before they had their problems?
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course I left Credit swiez twenty thirteen. So basically as soon as I got my British passport I resigned, and then when I came to UK. It was never a kind of objective to stay there more than two years. I always wanted to start my own business. But then I know, I said one year, then the second year, and the third year, and then after year six, when I got my passport, I decided to resign and then start my own business.
Speaker 1: Okay, you started your business in twenty fifteen.
Speaker 2: So I started working in twenty thirteen and I launched it twenty fifteen.
Speaker 1: Did you have any capital to help you start the company?
Speaker 2: I have my own savings, yes, right, so you.
Speaker 1: Put in some of your own money, but you presumably weren't a multi billionaire, so you didn't put in that much money, right, I.
Speaker 2: Mean back then I put probably about or half a million dollars half a million overall. But obviously I also didn't work for two years myself, so if you don't count my salary, I didn't have any salary. So to build something back then was my ship I compared to you nowadays, you have.
Speaker 1: A venture capital arm I it's called Quantum Light.
Speaker 2: So it's a separate business. CE think it was three years ago as entrepreneur. I've done a lot of fundraising rounds with the vcs, and then I think at a certain point of time. I was very pissed off with the crowd thinking mentality right. So I had cases when termships were withdrawn, sign termshets, I had cases when a round was mucked down because I spro was down. So I had quite a lot of negative experience with the vcs. And then as a founder, I also wanted to invest my own money and I thought I can create something better in terms of investment. I think that has to be a scientific approach rather than human judgment. And then we build effective models that invest in startups Series B based on millions and millions data points on our startups, so they are trained machine learning models that invest plus. On top of it, I'm able to share with these statups my perisional knowledge. As a fund of revlut Plus, we help our startups to distribute their product for Revolute or to sell into Revolute, So we're all it's much better value proposition to funders compared to VC.
Speaker 1: What would you call you what you're doing angel investing or around A or we.
Speaker 2: Do serious B. We started we just launched a fund for serious LYS.
Speaker 1: What did you raise money for it? I assume people gave you all the money you wanted, but did you just use your own money and your friends money? Did you have to go out and raise money?
Speaker 2: First fund was two hundred and fifty million, so I put around twenty five percent of my own money under. The rest was external LPCE and.
Speaker 1: What types of rates of return do you think you can get in that fund?
Speaker 2: So basically, when I had this idea, when we build a model and then we started back testing the model, it produces effectively forty to fifty percent a year on the year returns, long term returns. So when we started investing based on the model, I think now we are called top four or five percent of the funds the world in terms of returns. So it's usually thirty to forty returns.
Speaker 1: So you ever use your credit card and it gets turned down. In other words, you got to use a credit card at a restaurant or somewhere and they say your credits tonight? Is whatever happened to you?
Speaker 2: Initially? Yes, yeah, but it was more than a eight nine years ago when service wasn't that stable. Now we just don't have declines.
Speaker 1: But now that happened to you, did you tell people who you were? You didn't say, look, I'm the founder of the company.
Speaker 2: And was just coding engineers and trying to find out what happened. YI is declined.
Speaker 1: How many customers a rebel doold have? Now?
Speaker 2: So have seventy five million customers.
Speaker 1: How big do you think you can take it? Do you think you can take it to one hundred million customers or more?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can definitely take it to a hundred million customers. Our internal target is one hundred million daily active customers, and then one hundred million daily active customers will transfer about three hundred million monthly actives.
Speaker 1: It's said that companies, if they're really going to survive and prosper for over many period years at the time, they have to have a good culture. What is the culture you're trying to build in your company?
Speaker 2: So we have these five cultural values pretty well defined, starting with never settle, so never settlers, about being ambitious and setting up for big goals. Secondly, it's about dream team, so we prefer to work in a small team of extremely high intelligent people rather than in the lash teams for average people. Or third one is get things done. It's very important to be kind of you know, getting things done oriented. Then we have a cultural principle called deliverable. It's about almost perfection in everything what we do in terms of product.
Speaker 1: I suppose I say I have an account at a famous British bank, but I'm not happy with it, and I feel secure because I know they got all these buildings there and it seems like they have a lot of money behind them. You don't have any physical place for me to go right exactly.
Speaker 2: So we are solving this trust issue through different methods. For example, yes, absolutely correct, it's important for people visually see a big building of massive columns and then feel as you know, there's in a lot of money behind the building. So we do differently as we build trust and reputation through brand. So for example, if you look at European airports, so majority of European airports we advertise on affectedly buy the whole airport and then advertise on the whole airport, on the bridge just and so on. So we would build a brand through a lot of advertising rather than having these massive buildings.
Speaker 1: Banks we're in the business hundreds of years ago principally to do two things. One have a place where people can park their money and also to borrow money. You borrow money from banks can I borrow money from you, it can borrow money for loss, right, So where do you get the money?
Speaker 2: Balance it right?
Speaker 1: The reason people like dealing with you rather than the big conventional bank is that you're less expensive.
Speaker 2: So well, not only saving the money, we're also saving that time everything is automated.
Speaker 1: If you look at the future of the financial service world, do you think that there's a future for large banks to keep having these big buildings or do you think ultimately five or ten or fifteen years from now, everybody's going to be online with everything in five times?
Speaker 2: Yes, then we'll see one and more consolidation and thing. We'll see more and more certain digital champions and the regions taking one and more banking shs regions. So maybe it will take ten years, maybe it'll take fifteen years, twenty years. But I do think that we'll see less and less legacy banks, or less and less legacy banks will make so much money.
Speaker 1: So are you enjoying doing all this? Are you enjoy running the bank, running the adventure fund and doing interviews with people like me? Are you having a good time or you're not that happy?
Speaker 2: I mean certain like certain things I like, certain things I don't like so I love building products. I love kind of solving problems. I don't like delays, which can be quite often in the regulatory business, because certain things can be outside of for kind of you know, your decision making and speed.
Speaker 1: What are the skill sets that you think are required to build a company like this and do you look for those same skill sets in the people you hire?
Speaker 2: Well, you definitely do not need to be good at trading at all. For me, when I started, I knew nothing about banks because I was in a trader investment bank and has a very different organization compared to a retail bank and than payments company as well. So I learned everything from scratch and skills wise we're going to have. I think you're definitely have an ambitions and hunger plus as a character, plus in a lot of energy because it's pretty painful, you know, in a lot of ways with all the problems. Plus you always need to have a very strong logic, logical thinking, abstract thinking. You should be good with product as well, like you know, ability to build something nice and sleek. We're just looking for ultimately three things. First is high IQ or brains. I don't have certain ways how to understand whether person is smart or not, logical or not number one. Number two is a character, how ambitious they are, how hungry they are. And thirty is the skills. Right, if you hire a designer, they need to be good at design and so on.
Speaker 1: What new worlds do you want to conquer? You've built a big company, eventually you might take in public, You've got a great venture capital firm. What do you want to do next?
Speaker 2: Well, majority of time are edicated still to revolute. We're still scrashing the surface in terms of what is possible in building a first truly a global bank.
Speaker 1: Are you worried that somebody who's ten years younger than you is going to come along and with a better mouse trap and beat what you're doing, or you're not worried about that so much?
Speaker 2: I mean, really, I think there are windows of opportunity in the world, and then when there are certain tools sort opportunities, and then usually what happens ten twenty people jump on these opportunities in this particular country to do this particular product on them, people compete. I think an opportunity for fintech I think in the majority of conscience is gone now because they already players and legacy banks. They kind of cut top as all of products. So this is very hard to build anything new in fintech, or at least I don't see opportunitia. But nonetheless, I mean maybe I don't see anything. Maybe there is you know, someone smart who can come up with a better product.
Speaker 1: So most of the bankers I know have hair that's like mine. It's shorter, yours is a little bit longer. Is that your trademark? Or if you want to get a banking license in the United States, you think you need to cut your hair or not?
Speaker 2: I think you're definitely into wears whatever.
Speaker 1: Do you have friends from high school that call you up and say, remember me, I was your friend in high school?
Speaker 2: Sometimes friends of friends.
Speaker 1: It's not that hard to get get a hold of you.
Speaker 2: No, no, it's easy.
Speaker 1: It's easy. Okay, Well, next time I'm in London, I will call you up.
Speaker 2: And make sure you tell me so recorded otherwise I don't pick up no numbers.
Speaker 1: You're now probably the richest person in UK, or certainly one of them. What are you going to do with us? You're going to build art galleries or museums or give it away to social causes? What do you want to do with all those wealth. You can't spend twenty five billion dollars in your lifetime.
Speaker 2: Probably, well, just very focused on business, continue to make the best products, and then continue to expand, and then all this wealth is in the company rights. I don't know really to plan. I don't really plan to sell the company then spend all this money. So I just continue to work on, you know, what's necessary to to build a first global bank, because now we're in forty countries, we want to be one hundred countries.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to hear more of my interviews. You can subscribe and download my podcast on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you listen