Speaker 1: What's that at the bed spooky? Hey juky, I'm really sure it's dead. It's coming this way. Wait a minute, I'm ghosted. I los Nanda's.
Speaker 2: Pa.
Speaker 3: Hey boo, it's me Roz, and welcome to Ghosted by Roz Hernandez, the podcast where I talk to people that I like about the paranormal. It's a listener episode. I love these so much. You know you can be on one. You know how to do it. You just go to your email. You type in ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You write listener story in the subject line, and then you give me bullet points of your stories, like no more than one sentence per bullet point. Okay, if you're typing out long novels, you know I'm not the best reader.
Speaker 1: Just just tell me a little bit, a little peep here in there and then and then we can work something out to have you come on.
Speaker 3: But also, if you want me to read one of your stories in an intro on a show that's different than that, you know, type it all up nice, like a paragraph for two five minutes or less, and then that I will read and write it the way you want me to read it, you know.
Speaker 1: Okay, we got three of them for you today.
Speaker 3: Here is a call from a listener in Canada named Lex.
Speaker 1: And this this, Oh, this one's good. Lex grew up in a haunted house. Take it away a Lex. Oh my god. I'm joined by Lex in Ontario.
Speaker 4: Hi.
Speaker 1: Hello, how are you?
Speaker 5: I'm very well? How are you?
Speaker 1: You just seem like such a nice Canadian person?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: Thank you?
Speaker 3: You're like so sweet. You're just like so nice. And I don't know, I want to go to Canada.
Speaker 5: Please come. You're very welcome here.
Speaker 3: Oh that's exactly what I want to hear a Canadian person say, that's so nice. Tell me a ghost story. Are there ghosts in Canada?
Speaker 5: There are so many.
Speaker 6: I'm a fourth generation Canadian. I've lived in Niagara my whole life. My family has always been here, and I feel that Niagara is a hot spot for the ghosts.
Speaker 1: Do you think it's one of those like because of the water, like the yeah, the current.
Speaker 3: As you know, people say that there's some some kind of connection between water and ghosts.
Speaker 5: I think definitely.
Speaker 6: Like I've always lived along the Niagara River Parkway, so it's the water leading right up to Niagara Falls.
Speaker 5: I'm just minutes away.
Speaker 6: And I think it's some kind of a conduit for spirits. We've had the underground railroad, the War of eighteen twelve, It's literally a battlefield in this area, bootlegging history, so many things that would contribute to ghost happenings.
Speaker 1: Those ghosts are thirsty. They just won't think that water gives them something.
Speaker 5: I think.
Speaker 1: So, So, did you live in a haunted house or have you lived in haunted houses or what's the deal?
Speaker 6: Yeah, I've lived in a few houses along the Niagara River Parkway and they've all had some sort of element of gold. But if I were to tell the origin tale of my ghost history, we called it the Old White House. It's where I was born into. It's a farmhouse. My family had a horse farm there. And the first I remember hearing anything about ghosts at all was when I was a toddler. Them doing renovations in the house, and the people who were working there, like construction workers, electricians, et cetera, reporting doors, slamming windows opening, things being misplaced, and it just took off from.
Speaker 1: There, Okay, right off the bat.
Speaker 6: So the house, it was built around eighteen hundred and it had been through the War of eighteen twelve.
Speaker 5: There was a fire there.
Speaker 6: It was rebuilt, and when my parents got it and did the renovations is when we started to.
Speaker 5: Feel the spirits.
Speaker 6: But there was two spirits that were like I want to say, like the infamous spirits of the house. Okay, and yeah, like there was one that we called Patty because we had heard a female voice saying that name, like Patty in the house. Not just like not just me. Multiple people, like guests to the house had seen or heard of Patty.
Speaker 5: And she's just how you.
Speaker 6: Would picture her, like she's she's in a victorian white nightgown of course.
Speaker 1: Perfect.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 6: She even appeared to my dad, who is like an old school Italian Canadian like ghost start not real type, perfectly.
Speaker 3: Ah, the best, That's exactly who you want to see a ghost, right.
Speaker 6: Like Yeah, one night when he was like it was the nineties, so we had those alarms that you like, uh, there's a motion detector, so you have to like be still while you're setting the alarm. So he was setting the alarm and my sisters and I had gone like we were watching my dog skip or something like in my parents' bedroom, but we'd fallen asleep and he saw my sister facing the corner in her nightgown, and he was like, hey, like what are you doing?
Speaker 5: You okay, like go to bed, and he set the alarm.
Speaker 6: He's like, don't move, I gotta set the motion detector alarm. He went on to bed to discover my sister was in our bed sleeping and she'd.
Speaker 5: Been there for like an hour. Yeah, so he saw Patty.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking about, like how nightgowns they're like so perfect for a ghost and they're so flowy and like, yeah, people still wear nightgowns, but like there will be a generation of ghosts that are just in like oversized T shirts like that will just be at Yeah.
Speaker 5: It's millennial ghosts.
Speaker 1: Seriously, who's the other ghost?
Speaker 6: So the other one we call him like the pipe smoking man. There was always like an odor of It was very specific, like not cigarettes, like a pipe smoke or like some sort of cigar or Yeah, so my nanny she had said that she saw a man wearing green overalls standing outside smoking a pipe like a few times. I'm like, oh my goodness, that must be him. When my parents did more renovations, they in the wall, they found some old like horse racing papers, and a corn cob pipe.
Speaker 3: Now, why would you hide something like that in a wall? Or why like how does that end up in a wall? That's what I'm always wondering.
Speaker 5: For me and my sisters.
Speaker 6: It was always like a Nancy Drew mystery, like we were solving Oh my goodness, it's the corn cob pipe man, like yes, yeah, And we had a puppy at the time. He got the corn cob pipe and he chewed it up, and then I thought that he was going to be like cursed or haunted.
Speaker 3: He's possessed by the man. See now that man in the future would be the vaping man.
Speaker 1: Bab goes absolutely.
Speaker 3: So was it always like pretty nice? Would you say, or was it what was the vibe?
Speaker 6: I would say it was generally nice, Like I don't know if some things were like residual or I remember that like my sister heard once of course, her room was in the basement because couldn't get any creepier, and she once heard, can you come and.
Speaker 5: Play with me? Okay, yeah, so like friendly but really really creepy.
Speaker 3: And yeah, that's one of those things that's very sweet and friendly unless it's from a voice that's not connected to a body and it's in a basement, then it's terrifying.
Speaker 5: Yeah, unless it's Patty.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: My favorite memory of who I think is the Corncob pipemin Is.
Speaker 5: We had one of those like.
Speaker 6: Fisher Price recorders that were a cassette, you know, like they had like five colors in the nineties. Yeah, and we we would do this like sketch comedy that we called Bob Blondie, and it was like, my sister is Bob Blondie and she interviews a guest, like a celebrity guest. I was the celebrity guest, and she would be.
Speaker 5: Like, it's Bob Blondie.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 6: So we were doing that with the cassette thing one time and her friend was over and we all started getting like the giggles and laughing at what we were doing, and then we heard, like very distinctly.
Speaker 5: A man's laugh, like joining in with us, and we all just looked at each other.
Speaker 6: Like, oh, and we got it on the recording. Actually, we had a recording of it.
Speaker 3: Oh no, I'm just imagining this ghost being like, oh, that's funny.
Speaker 1: Oh haha. And then you guys all realize that you could hear him and he's like what the corn cup pipe?
Speaker 2: Man?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, Okay, this is good.
Speaker 6: My parents used to have because we're right on the water. They used to have like barbecue parties where they would do like jet skiing. So they're all like out front and we're sleeping inside like with our like another adult whoever was there, uh nanny or whatever. And I remember one time my mom's friend had told her like, oh, no, like your girl, one of your girls is up. I see her in the window. She's like, is she wearing a white night gown. She's like yeah, like yeah, that's not my daughter, that's the ghost.
Speaker 1: So the whole family had experience.
Speaker 6: Yeah, everybody and friends and people who did work on the house. It was like no denying that the ghosts were there.
Speaker 1: So what's the status of the house now? Is it still in the family.
Speaker 6: It was sold to a group of like priests, so I wonder if they've had any encounters or if they did some sort of aging or something. I don't know, fascinating, like, I've always had paranormal experiences. I've always lived on the Parkway, So I don't know if it's like I'm the problem, it's me, or it's a Parkway.
Speaker 3: Why so did you have you had like other places you lived in or what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I lived in another place that was like close to this property and it was from eighteen seventy nine, and there was definitely a ghost of a little boy there, like we could hear him like playing and stuff. Even when we had like people over, they're like, is there a child like in the house sort of but.
Speaker 1: Like what like were you hearing like vocal sounds.
Speaker 6: Or yeah, like laughing and like yeah, oh children laughing always fun.
Speaker 1: Now, what's scary?
Speaker 6: Yeah, even like we live now, we're really close to the Parkway still. Our house was built in twenty twelve, and my husband before like we met, never had like an encounter with anything paranormal. And we've had things happen here like what I would describe as like Charlie Brown's teacher talking like it's like you can't understand what they're saying, but it's like, yeah.
Speaker 1: When when do you hear it?
Speaker 6: It's actually always around like like I wake up first, I wake up before him and my son, and that's the time that I've heard of the most, like at like four am and interest or footsteps.
Speaker 3: I mean I've been thinking a lot lately about the years and like how old stuff like of course that's haunted, but news stuff no, And like it's always a conversation that comes up when you're me people are We're always talking about this stuff.
Speaker 1: And I just think that like ghosts can, they can.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter what year your your place was built or what like, there's just there's a billion reasons why there could be a ghost. And I think that peop are just like old stuff is creepy, so so it's easier for us to understand the old stuff being creepy ghosts.
Speaker 1: And that Victorian look and everything. But there's ghosts. There's ghosts everywhere.
Speaker 5: For sure, and they like me it seems.
Speaker 1: Now, are you flattered by that or do you wish it wasn't like that? I like it.
Speaker 6: I've always been like super interested since I was a young child in everything ghosty.
Speaker 3: Well, it's because you've met nice Canadian ones. Yeah, if you start meeting some of these ones I've met, they're not fun to be around.
Speaker 6: Actually, there was we moved out of that White House because my mom had an encounter with one that she didn't think was friendly and it wasn't Corncob, pipe Man or Patty.
Speaker 1: Who was this?
Speaker 5: Well, she was.
Speaker 6: Pregnant with my little sister, like very pregnant near the end. And she was sleeping and she had sleep paralysis, which like she's the only person I've ever known to like have that experience. But she was awake, but she couldn't move, and she saw like a figure at the end of the bed wearing like a like a black hooded cloak. And she said it was small, but she noted like it wasn't a child. She felt like almost like a duende or something like that, she thought.
Speaker 5: And then she was like, let's get out of here.
Speaker 1: So that was the actual reason. But she was like we're moving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, She's like, this is the last straw.
Speaker 6: I can tolerate corn Cob, Pipemin and Patty, but little figure in a robe is very scary.
Speaker 3: Now, couldn't have been Patty. She was putting on a hoodie and she was about to go out to the store. She wanted to see if your mom needed anything.
Speaker 5: Maybe, yeah, she was, she was going to the Avondale.
Speaker 3: She just wanted to say, you know, I know you're pregnant. Do you want any snacks or anything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it's cold in Canada. She needed the teeth.
Speaker 1: The hood, yeah, cape and all of that stuff. Yeah, I get them.
Speaker 3: Wow, this has been great. I think I think you gave us everything we need.
Speaker 1: Everything.
Speaker 3: We're always looking for a great you know, beginning, middle, and end ghost story.
Speaker 1: Do the renovations.
Speaker 3: The ghosts go crazy, they got names, they've got their own identities, and then the whole story ends because it starts getting crazy and now it's time for the priest to deal with it.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 5: Yep, perfect.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you so much for joining me. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Thank you so much. It was wonderful.
Speaker 3: Thank you, lax. Okay, this next one. These stories are different. It's it's a lot of this kind of just unexplainable. Not not your most traditional ghost type story.
Speaker 1: But but the really really.
Speaker 3: Good stuff, you know, like like you remember that classic story from Gunner Deathrege. We always talk about that story from way back in the day. I think it was twenty nineteen or something. You can go back and find it. Gunner's story about encountering these weird people in a dream and then it was connected to a friend that was also in the dream, and it really happened or did it?
Speaker 1: Just weird?
Speaker 3: Weird and the best way and these stories you're about to hear.
Speaker 1: Are weird but also meaningful. Anyway, let's just do it. Here's Alliot.
Speaker 3: Elliott from Cape Cod, Massachusetts.
Speaker 4: Hi, Hi, ros, nice to see you.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, you too. These stories? Okay, which one do you want to start with?
Speaker 4: I kind of want to start with my sister because there's some preamble with my experience with sleep paralysis, and that just I feel kind of tie everything together. Okay, So sleep paralysis has been happening to me pretty much my entire life, and that's where, you know, I started to see a lot of things and it's been like this transitory experience like it. Over the years, I kept on getting used to the sleep paralysis. But this wave of vibration had occurred throughout the years as it started getting more intense, and so I've I had been reading things about sleep paralysis and like actual projection and leaving your body, and these vibrations would always kind of get me nervous. I was afraid to leave my body suddenly.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, you know, I know, I feel.
Speaker 4: Like we're really just diving right into this. But it's like so fascinating to me. But it wasn't until my sister died and I'm in her room on her floor a couple of days after she died, and it's happening to me, like I wake up. I can't move my body and the vibrations start happening, and I'm like, no, my sister's Curson's there, like she's not going to let anything happen to my body. And with that confidence, I let this wave of vibration wash over me and suddenly like I'm above my body and my body's on the floor and I'm just kind of looking around and I'm like, I guess in the air and i start flowing down to the ground and suddenly I feel these hands that push me off of like a surface, and I know that they're Curson's hands. Like I'm for some reason, I just know I'm with my sister. I'm sharing consciousness with my sister, and she's kind of teaching me the techniques or to fly, you know. I'm seeing from her perspective, my body's on the ground and she slowly starts just like take me through room by room. And at the time, there was this girl staying with us who is pregnant, and Kirsten brings me to her and we're hovering above her, and I just feel, I mean, I'm understanding so much in this space that I still haven't exactly found the right words for. But Kirsten shows me in a way like her energy just holds my friend Stephanie, who's nine months pregnant, and that I try to leave the house just to see what's going on out there, and I'm brought back to my body like I'm not allowed to leave the house. It feels like and something interesting about this house, like there's always My family's very open to the supernatural. My mom claimed to have grown up with a ghost. I found out a couple of years ago. This woman's giving me a ride home, this like spiritual interaction at the store and she offers me ride home and she's like, I knew you lived here. She was like that room right there, I had my baby shower when I was sixteen years old, and it's my mother's room. And she's like, do you know anything about the previous owner of your house? I knew nothing, And she was like, the woman who owned this house before you would perform exorcisms in this house for people like kind of unofficially outside of the church.
Speaker 1: Oh, she was like free lance.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and so there's always with this energy to this house. And all my friends have said the same thing, there's something about this house.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So do you think that your sleep paralysis that you had had up until that point, do you think it had anything to do with the house.
Speaker 4: That's a really good question. I'm not sure. Or just like my family in general, like my mom raising us with this tales of her house growing up and these like undeniable stories that she's never shared stories with such like authenticity. Uh huh, you know, like she wants she's been driving this like a paranormal reality since we were kids, and when the paralysis started happening, and the things you see in that in between space, I don't know, it's a lot.
Speaker 3: WHOA, So have you astro projected since then?
Speaker 4: Not like that. There are times I'll have dreams and I know that they're not dreams. Yeah, but I can't confirm that I was like in this reality where my body's below me, I'm visiting people in the other room that has never happened. I don't know that I want to or need to experience that again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, no, I get that it's interesting that you couldn't leave your house, because yeah, if it was me, i'd probably like flee out of the country or something. And then before I know it, I'm like, damn it, I need to get back into my body.
Speaker 1: And now I don't know how to get back home.
Speaker 4: Okay, which brings me to another story. I'm about leaving the country the first time that, like sleep prousis ever, really scared me. I was living in New York in this farmhouse where behind the house is like one hundred acres of sod farm and in front of the house is one hundred acres of cornfield and it's the only house I'm living with this artist.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, but that's terrifying.
Speaker 4: Like, oh, it was so terrifying.
Speaker 1: Farmhouse around corn in the middle of nowhere.
Speaker 4: Now if you looked it up on Google map that it looks like signs the house and the movie signs.
Speaker 3: So basically, And now I don't know how this story goes, but I'm just going to stay up the top. Whatever happened to you, you deserved it, Okay.
Speaker 4: Okay, So, so I'm alone in the house the artist I'm working for She's in Germany and I'm working at the studio and I'm living in her house and I'm in bed late one night and I'm trying to read a book to help me fall asleep. And you know those the sounds of house make says it's settling, like pops of the wood or what have you. Yeah, I hear one downstairs, and then I'm upstairs at the top of the steps, and I hear a pop at the bottom of the steps, and then at the top of the steps, and then in my doorway, and then at my bedside table. So I turned the light on. I pick up the book again. I was like terrified because my sister had told me pretty much the same exact story happened to her at one point. And I guess I fall asleep and I wake up and there is just this as I'm sure you've heard hundreds of times. It's like this presence in the doorway and move my body. It's never scared me in this way before, and I just feel this presence above me. It feels evil, but whatever I will myself to like move, like to move my body with everything that it takes. And the next morning my brother shows up at this house and he's like, got this the sense of urgency about him, and he's like, yeah, so a god's been trying to reach you. You're going to Germany next week. But I've got something important to tell you, Elliott. Like last night I woke up in my room when I couldn't move my body and there was just this evil presence in the room, and I was like, the same exact thing happened to me last night, which brought my awareness, like to this reality that there's something to it, Like it happened to me and my brother at the same time. Weird, weird, right, And it felt like interesting too, the result of all of my will to break out of this paralyzed state. And then I find out I'm moving across the world in like a week. It was such an interesting like it made sense to me. It helps me get ready to move across the world.
Speaker 3: You know what I mean interesting? Can you tell me this story about your mentor Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm working as cashier and I meet this beautiful tall man and he asked me if I'm like a performer of some sort and I tell him I'm a singer and he's like, I'm going to be back here in a week when I come back, I want you to sing for me. And that's kind of how we became friends, and we ended up hanging out a lot. He told me all the stories, but he'd always say, it's like, Elliott, I really need it's important for you to know that you need to listen to everything I'm telling you because I'm not going to be around and in two months, so take everything I say seriously and really listen to me because I'm not going to be around. And which is easy to brush off. It's like, what do you what do you mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, how did you interpret that?
Speaker 4: I knew that he was referencing his death, but it's a challenging thing to ask somebody to believe him. It's like, what do you mean, how do you know you're going to die?
Speaker 1: Was he ill or anything?
Speaker 4: Or no? Yeah, So that's kind of hard to explain. And then one day he shows up at my house and he's in a hospital Johnny, and he's bleeding from the nose and like a little bit from the mouth, and it's like raining outside and he's like, Elliott, he called me Saffron. He's like, Saffron, I just got the hospitals in a car accident, like, can I I just left the hospital, Can I stay with you tonight? And I'm like, yeah, sure, come in, of course, And I kind of set him up to sleep and then end up hanging out with my friend for a little bit. And by the time I come back and inside the next morning after hanging out with my friend, Roddy's not there. And I get a message from my friend the next day with this article about him being in a car accident and dying like this, you know, his whole story of getting hit by a car and dying, which was just like did that happen twice? Did he get hit by a car twice? Or I couldn't like escape this idea that he had like come to me, you know in his fall hospital Johnny, And.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so fascinating.
Speaker 4: The really fascinating thing to me is like months later, maybe even a year or so later, I'm I have this dress and I decide I'm gonna wear it. It's more feminine than anything I've ever wore. And I have to run into stop and chop at the grocery store to get something, and I feel this like pressure, but I feel beautiful in it and I'm like, I'm gonna whatever. I'm just going to go in and out. I'm feeling good though, but also the stress is giving me confidence that I don't have much experience with yet. And I'm walking through the store and I see this giant like person in this flowy two piece suit with like a hat, like a almost like a church outfit or a funeral fa all in black. And I clock this woman's tea, you know what I mean. And suddenly I feel so comfortable seeing her in like her seventies. It looks like maybe it's her first time out in public as well, in this feminine way, and I want to say something to her, but I just want to go in and out. And she ends up being right at the milk where I am, and I turn to look at her ros and she's trying to hold my stare and I'm like, oh my god, is that is that my mentor like it's almost too much to even perceive. I leave and take on, but I'm like, was that Roddy like encouraging my wardrobe and like being myself in public in spirit? Or is that Roddy? Now? Was this whole I don't know, It's like, you know, what I'm saying here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's really cool. I've never heard a story like this, and I think it's beautiful.
Speaker 4: My experience with spirits is like, sometimes I feel like they can come through others.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, totally.
Speaker 4: And sometimes you'll just see somebody and they'll look so much like someone you love. But this was so uncanny. I was wondering if they had faked their own death to transition.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's an interesting angle too.
Speaker 4: It was just so real and yeah.
Speaker 1: I'm a sest.
Speaker 3: These stories are like, I don't know, they're just they're different than a lot of ones that I hear, and I believe them, but they're just like, I don't know, they're just cool.
Speaker 4: Thank you. I think so too. I appreciate the opportunity to talk about them. I want to get the words right because there's something I feel like, there's real information coming through that I want to share.
Speaker 3: You know, Well, yeah, I mean, you're clearly some kind of you know, you have some kind of psychic abilities or I don't know.
Speaker 4: That's what all these stories in particular I wanted to share because they feel like a part of the development of mediumship or psychic awareness. They're part of my journey of opening up to the reality.
Speaker 3: I think it's great. Well, we have to wrap it up, but thank you so much for sending these. I really appreciate it, and for coming on here.
Speaker 4: Thank you us, Thank you Alliot.
Speaker 3: You see what I'm talking about. That was just weird, but in a good way. Okay, one more for you. This is a guest that is coming to us from the.
Speaker 1: New York City area.
Speaker 3: God, I love how much New York I've had coming my way after I have NonStop been like I don't get enough in New York. Well now I've got more New York ghost stories than I know what to do with. And here's Caroline, who's got some for us. Take it away. Caroline, Caroline and Providence, Rhode Island.
Speaker 1: Hello, how are.
Speaker 2: You, hi, raz I'm wonderful.
Speaker 1: How are you so good?
Speaker 3: I always get Providence in Province town confused.
Speaker 2: That's fair. They're both gay and like witchy and haunted.
Speaker 3: Okay, so that was my next question was is Providence gay and witchy?
Speaker 2: I think Providence is gay and witchy? Yeah, okay, I think so.
Speaker 1: Well, then maybe I will visit.
Speaker 2: Oh you should rise, ros I'm calling you from the back of the queer bookstore that I own here in Providence with my siblings, and I think it's very gay and witchy and we would love to see you. And we have a cat manager.
Speaker 1: You have a manager that's a cat.
Speaker 2: We do. Her name is Penny.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, she's not dealing with Karen's left and right talking to the manager, is she?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: Okay? No?
Speaker 2: But if someone asks, we will direct them to Penny and we'll help you, you know, with any of her questions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that.
Speaker 3: Who could be mad at a cute little katie cat?
Speaker 2: No one, no one.
Speaker 3: So I have been told that you have a story that takes place in New York City.
Speaker 2: I do, rouse I do. I know you've been waiting for one.
Speaker 1: Thank Gord.
Speaker 3: That is all I ever dream of, is a New York City story.
Speaker 1: What is this story? You live there at one point or what?
Speaker 2: I lived in New York for six years, and in this particular apartment for two years. From twenty fifteen to twenty seventeen, I lived in a very haunted apartment in Astoria, Queens. And it was it wasn't anything that I could say like, oh, that was just the upstairs neighbor walking around like it wasn't the upstairs neighbor touching my feet at night and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: I hope not.
Speaker 2: No, that's way scarier.
Speaker 1: I feel like the ghosts do like Queens.
Speaker 3: Sure, you know, maybe Queens is a little bit more the pace is a little bit more calm, and they're able to creep out.
Speaker 2: We all like Queens, don't we rove Queen? Sorry I cut you off.
Speaker 1: No, it's fine.
Speaker 3: I think that there's some some tickle monsters in Queens. So you were and tickled in your toes?
Speaker 1: What happened? So you move in?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I moved into this apartment. I had two roommates, one of whom was my siblings that I like, I said, own the bookstore with now. The other was just like a friend who lives with us. And weird things started happening as soon as we moved in. Things would go missing, They'd turn up in places and made no sense. My sibling had Do you remember those like clarasonic face brushes?
Speaker 1: Oh? Do I of course.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I had a moment where I was working at Macy's and I was selling clarasonics.
Speaker 2: They were working at Alta selling clarosonics.
Speaker 1: That's hilarious.
Speaker 3: They're like electric toothbrushes for your face exactly. They're like one hundred bucks, and oh, you gotta get it. It's everything. I don't know if it still is, I'm not sure.
Speaker 2: I don't know either. But this ghost was jealous because the clarasonic would turn on by itself. This clarasonic has lived in multiple houses. This is the only place that it ever did that. And yeah, things like that were happening, and it would feel like in my bedroom things were super weird. Sometimes it would feel like someone was like sitting down on my bed or like maybe a cat had jumped up, and I would look up and there's no one there. And then I'd feel like a hands on my knee, There's no one there, And like sometimes something fully touched my feet once, and like my bedroom was next to the bathroom and my feet were kind of next to the door. So I like fully convinced myself that my roommate's friends must have like touched my feet as a joke as he was going into the bathroom. And when I told her that, she was like, we were I wasn't home last night. You know, weird freaky stuff. There was one time I lived with my siblings, so you know, sometimes eins get a little high. We were just like having some stupid sibling fight, and both of us were like yelling at each other, and I hear very clearly in their voice. I hear them yell the word bang. And I just stopped talking and was like, why why did you just yell the word bang? That was so weird. And they were like, you yelled the word bang. They heard it very clearly in my voice. Both of us at the same time, someone just yell the word bang, and each heard in each other's voice. It was so weird and like it was inside the apartment. You know, it didn't sound distant.
Speaker 1: Now let me ask you a question. Do either of you have bangs?
Speaker 2: I didn't have bangs.
Speaker 3: Maybe the ghost had bangs. Maybe the ghosts had bangs. They were doing the claarsonic and uh, just looking for community, you never know.
Speaker 2: I mean, I have to say living in this haunted apartment made me a lot less scared of Maybe it is just a lady who wants a fresh face and some things.
Speaker 1: Well, so it didn't seem too creepy.
Speaker 2: The thing was really creepy, Okay. I also think it would like mess with my alarm clock, and like I would wake up in the morning and my alarm clock hadn't gone off and it was fully turned off.
Speaker 1: But you know, oh that's shady.
Speaker 2: That just could have been user error.
Speaker 1: Now, oh that's shady.
Speaker 2: It was kind of shady. I don't know. The ghosts always felt like a male presence to me, but hey, you know, maybe maybe didn't want to be a male presence. But anyway, I was like, this ghost was a mistogynous who doesn't want me to go to work contact.
Speaker 3: Well, touching a knee. That's very creepy, man, I think.
Speaker 2: So there could have been two ghosts, like a mean guy and just like a cute girl.
Speaker 3: So would you say that other people were experiencing I know you said your sibling heard the voice, but were they experiencing this as much as you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, my other roommate who lived this was kind of like a due place situation. We had an illegal bedroom basement thing going on, and the one roommate who lived in the basement never really experienced anything, which I think is weird because basements are really scary. But up on the first floor we were like experiencing stuff all the time, like dark clouds, in the corner. What Yeah, you like see stuff out of the corner of your eye and like it wasn't. We actually had two separate roommates who live there, and I feel like the first one would see it too. She would see stuff out of the corner of her eye, and she got the hell out of there. She moved back to Kansas.
Speaker 1: She was like, uh huh because of the ghost.
Speaker 2: No, but like maybe, yeah, let's.
Speaker 1: Go with that.
Speaker 3: Let's say that. Yeah, I think that's better for the sake of the story.
Speaker 2: I think so too.
Speaker 3: Your roommate was terrified of the ghost and ran back to Kansas, Dorothy exactly, Okay, and Ran I love that. So you just stayed there for two years and it was just NonStop stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I had this like white noise machine. This is the scariest one. I was put on my little white noise machine at night and I just start on like rainforests and there's frogs and stuff, and then all of a sudden, it would be the scariest noise you've ever heard in your life. It sounds as like on the ghost hunting shows and they have a spirit box and it's like wamp It would sounds like that and it would be so loud. And after I moved and never had that problem with it again, and it like ran on batteries, you know, it wasn't like it was always plugged into the wall. It was bad wiring. That's the one thing that like, no one can convince me it was anything else. That was its ghost.
Speaker 3: So then after that place, you moved to the next place, nothing happens there.
Speaker 2: No, I was back at my parents' house for a while, which, like I was the creepy kid I grew up there. You know, I was the kid that my parents would say, who are you talking to? And I'd say, oh, don't you see the old woman? They say no, But I never experienced anything there as an adult.
Speaker 3: Really was that a recurring old woman or was this yeah, okay.
Speaker 2: I don't really remember, but like according to my parents yet, the house that I grew up in was built eighteen ninety ish, the Victorian house ghost era, yes, exactly, very very ghostly. Also, like you know, raised Catholic, so ghosts are just always on the mind in general. And I grew up in the bedroom that like had been the bedroom of the old woman who lived there before my parents bought it, So they were always really freaked out by that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, was that lady then?
Speaker 2: Yeah. I think as a child they'd say, oh no, no, there's nothing there. But like I've talked about it with them as I've gotten older, and they were like, yeah, that really freaked us out.
Speaker 1: What about working in a haunted store? Where was that New York?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, that was in New York on Broadway right above Houston. It rhymes with Urban Schmoutfitters.
Speaker 3: Got it, the Smurban schmout Fitters on Broadway.
Speaker 2: Exactly, And that door was just creepy. The backstock was in like the sub basement, so you were two levels down and it had these big heavy doors sub basement.
Speaker 1: Was there a dom basement.
Speaker 2: Too, Maybe there might have been. I think that was the event's department with the dombab.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you go to the sub basement.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I did like packing ships, where I was taking stuff out of inventory and mailing it to customers. So I spent a lot of my time in backstock, and I spent a lot of time alone in backstock with these big heavy doors that were always locked, so you would know if someone was coming in or out, and just like I see people out of the corner of my eye. I would hear footsteps walk past me, and I'd like look out to see who was there. There was no one there. So here's the thing about this door is that this might be an urban legend. Urban legends. There was a bathroom that used to be open to customers. But I guess the guy died in the bathroom, and port I shouldn't laugh if it's true, and that's why customers aren't allowed to use the bathroom anymore. What And one time I was just like talking with some coworkers like, oh, it's Halloween, isn't that spooky? And then the locked door of those bathrooms, I know one has acoes too flung open, and all of us just like ran on the elevators so fast. It was right next to the bathroom that this guy had allegedly passed to weigh in.
Speaker 3: But wait, so somebody died in there, and then they said no one can ever go back in there.
Speaker 2: That's what the rumor was. And one of our coworkers had worked there for a long time and she wore that it was true that someone died in the bathroom. I want to keep laughing about that, just so what a way to go.
Speaker 1: You know, you never know where it's going to happen.
Speaker 3: No, tell me another one, another one, Yeah, give me more.
Speaker 2: I can tell you about my bookstore that I'm getting in right now.
Speaker 1: In Providence, the one with the cat manager.
Speaker 2: The one with the cat manager. And we believe she has an assistant manager. His name is Willie. He is a ghost.
Speaker 1: How do you get that name.
Speaker 2: Well, I'll tell you how he got that name. His parents gave it to him. We are on like a historic Italian American block, and Willie was a mafioso who got out of line and he got whacked in it used to be a restaurant. It's our bookstore as you're now. It's the same building, but in nineteen sixty six there's lots of newspaper articles about it. He got whacked. He was going against the family. When we first opened the store about two and a half years ago, things would call off the shelf, you know, books were falling over, plants were falling over. We assumed it was the cat. It's very easy to blame things on her. But then, like I said, we're on this historic block. There's like crime tours that walk by, and one of them came in the store once and one of the tour guides told us about Willie Marfio, the mafioso who bought waxed in our store, and we were like, oh my god, whoa that must be? Who's here? And ever since that day when we leave the store, every night we say bye penny by store by Willie. And I'll tell you, like the stuff has stopped falling over, he still sends us signs. So like literally my siblings said, I think Willie smooved on. We haven't heard from him in a while. I said, will you send us a sign? And then every day for like a week after that, our open signs kept falling off the door ransomly like he said, I'll give you a sign.
Speaker 1: You should put up a picture of him.
Speaker 2: You know, we've thought about it. We should do that. We made like an Instagram post. We were like, meet our ghost Willie. One time I was telling someone about him and I looked up an article and I realized that the next day happened to be his birthday, So we looked up where he was. We went to his head zone, we said hi, and we also visited his brother with nearby and his craze Zone was a giant book like it was literally a book, a stone book. It's a book of life. And that's just made me so happy. I think Willie was really into books and that he likes our bookstore. Actually, whenever we move he knocks the plants over. He doesn't want us to go anywhere. Oh will Yeah, I think he and Penny are friends. I like to think they get up to stuff at night.
Speaker 1: That is so cute.
Speaker 2: It is cute.
Speaker 1: Well, Caroline, I think you gave me exactly what I need.
Speaker 2: I hope so I have so much fun.
Speaker 1: Thank you. I really appreciate you doing this.
Speaker 2: Thank you. I have one question. Am I allowed to plug my bookstore?
Speaker 1: Of course?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, we're called Hartley's Book We're in Providence. You can find us on in. We have a ghost, we have a cat. We are here. We're queer. We're not going anywhere. Come say hi.
Speaker 1: Oh I love that.
Speaker 3: Yes, people go support local businesses and you know, independent bookstores and all of that.
Speaker 1: I'm a big supporter.
Speaker 6: Yay.
Speaker 1: Thanks boo, bye boo.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much to Lex Elliott and Caroline. As always, if you would like to be on one, please email Ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com right in the subject line listener stories or listener episode or I don't know something, and then one sentence bullet points of your stories.
Speaker 1: I love you all, both living and dead.
Speaker 7: But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me. Hey on, this has been an exactly right production. Want to share your paranormal experience on the podcast. I read stories out loud and sometimes I'll even call you, so email me at ghosted by Roz at gmail dot com. You can send a DM or voice message to the show's instagram at ghosted by Roz. Give us a follow while you're there, and follow me Roz on Instagram at roz Hernandez and on TikTok and Twitter at It's roz Hernandez. My senior producer is the Startling Jiha Lee. Associate producer is the alarming Christina Chamberlain. This episode was mixed and sound designed by the Eerie Edson Choi. My guest booker is the petrifying Patrick Kuttner.
Speaker 3: My theme music is by the spine Chilling Brendan Lynch Salomon. Artwork by the Spooky Lilac. Photography by the Terrifying Elizabeth Karen Executive produced by the chilling Karen Kilgareth, the Spookky Georgia hart Stark, and the frightening Danielle Kramer. Listen to Ghosted by Roz Hernandez on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts.