Speaker 1: This episode is brought to you by all State. Some people just know they could save hundreds on car insurance by checking all State first. Like you know, to check the date of the Big Game first before you accidentally buy tickets on your twentieth wedding anniversary and have to spend the next twenty years of your marriage making up for it. Yeah, checking first is smart, So check all State first for a quote that could save you hundreds. You're in good hands with All States savings. Very terms apply All State Fire and Casualty Insurance Company and Affiliates, Northbrook, Illinois.
Speaker 2: Welcome in episode one seventy eight, What's Right with Nick Wright? This episode of What's Right with Nick Wright is brought to you by the McDonald's app. And so here's the deal, you guys, if you were listening last week, you guys know McDonald's at one of my go to apps. How many times have you been in this situation where you've had a really long day, you're hungry, last thing you want to do is cook a meal, and sometimes you don't even want to leave your house to go pick something up. I've been in this situation hundreds of times, especially in New York City, just leaving your house to pick something up can be a forty five minute affair. And my saving grace very often has been the McDelivery option in the McDonald's app. We're talking about getting McDonald's delivered right to your door. And now every time you order McDelivery in the McDonald's app, it earns you points towards free food, and who doesn't like free food? I love their breakfast menu. My all time favorite item off the breakfast menu, of course, still the Big Mac. I feel like every eighties baby like me. The Big Mac just kind of has a special place in nostalgia in your heart. It's always a reason to order in the McDonald's app. Download the McDonald's app today at participating McDonald's delivery prices maybe higher than at restaurants. Delivery and other fees may apply. Copyright twenty twenty three. McDonald's all right, a ton to do today On today's show, demand is here. He's a little under the weather. We'll see if he rallies throughout the show. If not, it's understandable a little the dealing with a little bit of a head gold, but made it in and with no problems whatsoever. I can't see him right now, but we can maybe see him in a moment because a major development for demanse if he's on camera right now, which I think he is. Demonsey. When's the last time you were totally clean shaven? I can't remember it.
Speaker 3: I actually had a memory pop up on my snapchat about a year ago today. I had everything shaved off right here, not the not my lip as well.
Speaker 2: But it's yeah, this very long time, I think you have kept the the the I hope listen, we'll get to sports in just a moment. I'm not trying to embarrass you here. I don't think you have the type of facial hair where you could grow a full beard, like if you wanted to. I don't think it would come in. Am I right?
Speaker 3: I had like a little Hulk Hogan thing starting to connect, But yeah, yeah, exactly, But.
Speaker 2: You couldn't like grow a full beard. I think because of that, since you were fifteen, since you first were able to grow any hair on your list, you've kept it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you've kept it.
Speaker 2: And now I'm looking at you. I can't remember me. I cannot. I've seen you when you shave your chin. I can't remember the last time, you didn't have the little mustache or anything, so demanday a little under the weather, maybe his body negatively reacting to not having the extra protection of the facial air. We're not sure a ton to do today. Talking week two in the NFL, Let's first get to what missed the cut. What missed the cut is coach Prime and Colorado moving to three and zero. We will talk talk more about them on Thursday. The next two weeks are massive and it is a damn shame Travis Hunter is not going to be able to play because this weekend they play Oregon and the next weekend potentially the game of the year in college football Sharro Sanders and Colorado against Caleb Williams and USC That is a potential all time game from a viewership perspective. I hate that Travis Hunter is not going to be able to play, all right. Also, not on today's show, Tyreek Hill says Pats fans are some of the worst confirmed I work with one, but not for the reasons that Tyreek was saying, they're the worst Wilds. It is just the worst for his own reasons. And Jason Kelce okay, sorry, hold on, oh, Iron Eagle says Travis Kelcey finds blank space for TD. I did not get this reference at all, but I was at actually watching the football games with Mike Ryan, the Ace executive producer from Lebotard Show and Metal Arc Media. He informed me that was a Taylor Swift reference that I didn't quite get. So that's what missed the cut. We will get to the Prince versus the King and the Chiefs in just a moment. But there were two games last night, Demonse, so let's start there.
Speaker 3: Yes, there was a Monday night football double header last night. Saints Panthers probably win as everybody would expect, but the Steelers Browns game had a ton of storylines. We got Nick Chubb getting hurt, Deshaun still looks really bad, and the Steelers have no offense and still won the game.
Speaker 4: What's the biggest story of last night?
Speaker 2: All right, So the biggest story, well, I don't even know if it's the biggest, but it's the one that I feel like it's poor form if we don't acknowledge start with what happened to Nick Chubb is brutal. Listen, that's an old school AFC North game that the Steelers Browns and Steelers Bengals and Steelers Ravens have played for years where it is hard hitting. Guys are getting banged up left and right. But even by those standards, the MINCA hit on Chubb was really unfortunate. I do not think Minka Fitzpatrick is a dirty player. It was an unfortunate place for him to hit him right on the knee. But he can't go high. He's flying in and Chubb, who had a full knee blowout eight years ago in college, now it looks like suffered another one. There. Obviously, today is going to be a lot of discussion about you know, Chubb's one of the few running backs who got the second contract who was making real money. He is on a three year, thirty six million dollar deal and now he's injured. What does that mean for the running back market? There obviously was the odd story this week that the NFL is filing a grievance against the Players Association for advising running backs to fake injuries in order to up their leverage. That is a story that is potentially incredibly interesting to really dive into. I am not going to fully dive into it today because I feel like we are missing massive pieces of information of that from that, and I feel like this was the fact that the story leaked the way it did leads me to believe this is NFL management leaking it because they're trying to kind of change the narrative on our running backs getting screwed. And so I'm gonna hold off fully commenting on that at least for the time being. But unfortunately, the cold reality is the Nick Chubb injury. It's not like, oh, now the Browns are gonna stink and people are gonna which they very well may, and we'll discuss it. People are gonna say, oh, Chubb's valuable. Running backs are valuable. That's not what's gonna happen. What's gonna happen is people are gonna say, even if you have Nick Chubb at that position so brutal, so violent, you're more likely to get injured there than any other spot on the field. It's hard to pay these guys a ton of money. I understand why people are empathetic. I've talked a lot about where I think this ultimately goes. That once there is no longer a surplus of very competent running backs or highly qualified running backs, the market will correct itself, but so in the macro. This was a bad day for running backs being paid in the micro. You feel sick for Nick Chubb amazingly though, the Browns' best offensive player being lost to the season and maybe longer with an injury was not the worst thing from last night. The worst thing for the Browns, that is, from last night was the further confirmation that the Cleveland Browns made one of, if not the worst trade plus contract in NFL history DeShawn They still owe still another first round pick for Deshaun Watson to the Houston Texans this coming year. Deshaun Watson yesterday was playing a team whose offense had negative seven to fourth quarteryards and DeShawn was the worst quarterback on the field. Deshaun Yesterday pushed an official and didn't get thrown out. Shockingly, got two face mask penalties as a quarterback, which I maybe that's I know Josh Allen got a face mask penalty a few years. I don't know the last time some quarterback got two could make no plays, seemed incredibly frustrated the face mask penalties. Seemed like he was almost lashing out at the fact that he couldn't escape the way he used to, and the Browns have no recourse here what Deshaun Watson has left on his deal again the fully guaranteed four year or was it it was five years two thirty and I'll give you the exact details on it. Yeah, he he is uncuttable, one of the only uncuttable players in the entire league. Five year, two thirty. Pardon me so. Deshaun Watson is next year a salary of with each of the next three years after this year a salary of forty six million, fully guaranteed, with a pro rated signing bonus of eighteen million each year. His cap number after this year for the next three years is sixty four million in twenty twenty four, sixty four million in twenty twenty five, sixty four million in twenty twenty six, and it is fully guaranteed. Meaning if the Browns were to be like ah, after this year we want to cut him, the dead cap would be two hundred million dollars. The whole salary CAP's like two forty not possible. If after next year they wanted to cut him, it's one hundred and thirty five million. If after the following year they wanted to cut him, it's seventy three million. He's an uncuttable player, and he's terrible. This is what the and that is correct. That is correct. When you trade three first round picks and give a fully guaranteed contract to anybody, you are risking the franchise. When you do it for a guy who has been incredibly accused by nearly two dozen people of sexual misconduct, you are just continuing your legacy as the Cleveland Browns of being one of the worst franchises in sports history, in modern sports history. And I'll go a step further. It's a little extra salt in the wound right now, demanse the way Baker's playing. They spent the number one pick on Baker. When Baker took the field, demanse for the first time. The Browns had lost third four of their previous thirty five games. When Baker took the field the first time, they had won once in their previous thirty five games. By his second year, they were an eleven win team and in the postseason and won a playoff game. He then had a bad year when he had an injured throwing arm and they threw him away and it looked like they were maybe validated by it when last year he was brutal, but now he's two to zero, is leading the league in passer rating on third downs, that has led two comebacks, and Deshaun looks absolutely brutal. So that to me is the biggest story of last night.
Speaker 3: Go ahead, a little follow up here with Joe Burrow hurt and since he zero to two, are my Ravens the clear favorites in the AFC North. Now, like I was kind of preaching a couple weeks ago, honestly.
Speaker 2: Right now, they look like it right now. So here, listen, the Browns are a cross off. The Browns are cooked. They have suffered now that the defense was looking great, they've suffered injuries.
Speaker 4: There they're right.
Speaker 2: Tackle's done, the nick jobb is done, Deshaun's done. The Browns are a cross off. The Steelers were my pick if you remember, to win the division. Kenny Pickett has been awful. They again, they had a fourth quarter comeback yesterday and in the fourth quarter they had negative seven offensive yards. Never see anything like it. They needed two defensive touchdowns to escape with a victory. Now, Picket, I think we'll get a little better. The Steelers probably should and will fire the offensive coordinator at some point, but the Steelers needed Pickett to get a lot better in order. The defense is great, there's no denying it. Tomlin's great. But can this Steelers win team? Can this steel team win more than ten games?
Speaker 4: That?
Speaker 2: I mean ten games will be hell of an accomplishment. More than ten's going to be hard. And then you get to Cincinnati that listen. Correlation causation, I don't know. But here's what I do know. The Cincinnati Bengals were the hottest team in the NFL. The Cincinnati Bengals last year, after starting four and four, had won ten consecutive games, including a beatdown of the Buffalo Bills in Buffalo in the divisional round. And then what happened to Monday? Then what happened.
Speaker 4: Before the Chiefs gamemes? Oh?
Speaker 2: No, actually, right as the Buffalo game was ending, what did we start hearing? Headed to Ahead stadium? Oh? I haven't won a game? Uh, since the word burrowhead has been uttered, here's how it's gone for the Cincinnati Bengals. They haven't won a game. Joe Burrow, no faulty. Listen, he wasn't buying into the burrow and stuff but those sports gods, can you strike lightning bolts anywhere? That calf hasn't been right. They've looked terrible and all of a sudden, I don't know if you were following it. And by the way, Gambling Show Thursday, Demanse's teaser was a straight winner. I also had a winning week. Good job by us on Thursday. But I don't know if you've been looking at the lines already, Demanse. Cincinnati was a six and a half point Monday Night favorite against the Rams. They are now a two point favorite. Why would the line move four and a half points because Vegas thinks Burrow's not gonna play. If he doesn't play, they can lose that game. You lose to the Rams to go to zero to three when you have here's what Cincinnati still has left on the skins?
Speaker 3: Are I know.
Speaker 2: I'm agreeing, Yeah, I mean, I'm the listen the Rams. I don't think the Rams have enough overall talent in order to continue this deep into the year, but they've overachieved up to this point, winning in Week one and then being semi competitive with the Niners. You give them credit. MC Basemen great, but here's here's the point. That I'm making for the Bengals. You fall to the Rams at oh and three. The next week you're at Tennessee. It's not a good team, but a great coach. But even if you win that, you still have games remaining Seattle at San Francisco, Buffalo at Jacksonville at Kansas City, and all four and four more divisional games. When you're zero and two already in the division. It year from hell on deck for the Bengals. So that then gets me to your Ravens, who while I was unimpressed in Week one and worried about them from an injury standpoint, week two, Lamar was sensational this new passing offense. He took to it Zay Flowers. Uh looks like one of the best, you know, best offensive players in the draft. And there there's gonna be some trepidation on how sustainable it is and some concern about Lamar's ability to stay healthy late in the year because for back to back years he's been hurt. But right now, I wonder what the odds are. Right now, the Ravens have to be considered sizable favorites in the AFC North. The Ravens this week, Uh, let me just go ahead, and look, I apologize.
Speaker 4: I think there's eight point eight or eight and a half maybe, Oh that that.
Speaker 2: Sounds right, But I meant sizable favorites to win the AFC North. Oh yeah, Now, the Ravens are minus one ten to win the AFC North Cleveland, so it's basically eving money. Cleveland is plus three sixty since he is plus four forty, and the Steelers are plus five hundred. So that is the only two teams that are bigger favorites to win their division right now than Baltimore are the Chiefs and the Niners. So pretty good company. And again I'm not gonna fully buy in yet, but through two weeks you should feel pretty good. All right, Let's move on. Let's go to the next topic.
Speaker 3: All right, So the King pulled out a win over the Prince, and Mahomes also got a new deal. He is now the highest paid quarterback in the NFL, I believe. Could you explain the deal? Yeah, go ahead, go ahead. Could you explain what the deal actually and give us your thoughts on it, and also give us your thoughts on your two favorite quarterbacks combining for am easily twenty six points.
Speaker 2: Okay, So the Mahomes deal. What everyone needs to understand is this. They did not add years, They did not add money. So what does it mean he got a new deal. They just accelerated when he gets the money. Well, it was the thing was this Mahomes' deal. Know what, Everyone got the Mahomes deal wrong from the beginning. As far as they're like, oh, he only had X amount of million guaranteed. People didn't understand that Mahomes' deal had these rolling guarantees which made it almost a facto fully guaranteed. So Mahomes it wasn't fully guaranteed as far as like if he got hit by a truck and couldn't play football again, then they could get out of it. But assuming he was always playing. Here's the reason was. The way it worked was in every March, his money for two seasons later became guaranteed. So like in March, in this this past March of twenty twenty three, his salary for twenty twenty four became guaranteed. So because of that, every year, his upcoming year's salary was guaranteed eighteen months before it started, essentially, And so what they did here was they moved up a bunch of the money on the back end to these next four years. What they didn't do, though, was changed the fact that he signed a ten year contract that was worth four hundred and fifty million dollars. And so this does not hurt the Chiefs cap wise any short term or long term. Now in four years, they are poised to have to rip the contract up and in which case that could hurt them cap wise. But I think what both parties are doing here, and I think it's smart, is Mahomes is getting more money up front so people can't say anymore as the eighth highest paid quarterback. Mahomes also now gets to see over the next four years, all right, are you guys gonna consistently spin to the cap? Are you gonna make sure that I'm surrounded by all this talent around me? And then in four years, let me see, have we won a couple more Super Bowls? And my number one goal is have a real chance of catching Brady, in which case maybe I don't ask for a raise, or has Andy Reid retired and things haven't gone the way we hoped, and you know, we're just a good not a great team, in which case pay me my money. So that's the the contract stuff. That's what happened. But the key information is no new dollars, no new year's so he's still on the ten year, four hundred and fifty million dollar contract. Now to the Chiefs and Jacks, it should be noted that the Jacksonville Jaguars in their last nine games are seven to zero against everyone butt the Chiefs, and oh and two against the Chiefs. In their last thirteen games, they're nine to one against everyone, butt the Chiefs, and owen three against the Chiefs. It is not an exaggeration to say that maybe the Prince gets a little nervous when he sees the King. I would imagine, you know, if and when Bronni James makes the NBA his first game against his you know, Lebron, he might be a little shaky these you know. The demonse maybe could speak to this better than I can, but I would imagine that there's, you know, there's sometimes some nerves when the prince is up against the King. I think that could be the case here now. Trevor didn't play great in Week two, and the Chiefs offense right now looks shaky. But here's why I feel better about this gosh darn it, I can never show it on camera right this tattoo than yeah, than ever before. Even though they're not gonna go twenty in h the Chiefs might have a great defense. Never seen that, not with Mahomes that defense. How's Detroit's offense? They scored thirty one on Seattle. How'd they do against Kent City? Two touchdowns? How's Jacksonville's offense? They scored thirty one on Indy? They scored zero touchdowns on case Chiefs evens has allowed two touchdowns all year. That Chris Jones training camp, Who the hell needs it? The young players they drafted over the last few years are impact guys. And right now, if you listen to the national NFL commentary, demons, what do you know what people's biggest concern with the Chiefs is right now? Out to take me out of it? Right now? What people are like, Oh, this has looked shaky from the Chiefs. Do you know what it is?
Speaker 3: Well, given the context, I'm assuming it's the defense that they say that there's nobles with.
Speaker 2: No What they're saying look shaky is the passing game? You know what? I think they're gonna be okay if the biggest concern is the Chiefs passing game. I think they're gonna be just fine. I mean, this is what a delight, what a wonderful spot. We're two weeks in. They're like, well, the defense looks awesome and they've played really tough competition the Lions and Jags. But what shaky is throwing the football. You know what. I'm gonna go ahead and say they're gonna figure it out. And then all of a sudden, you know what we're hearing, Oh my goodness, I don't know if they can win with these receivers. The same deceivers moment last year, everyone's like, oh they miss the and again, God love him, made some great plays for us, you know, cheap forever. People are like, oh, they missed Mikole Hardman. Well, you know who also misses Mikole Hardman His current team, the Jets, where he has one catch for six yards. I don't think he's been the difference. They're like, oh, they miss Juju? Really, you know why they misses Juju? His current team, the Patriots, with his nine catches for sixty one yards. Give me a break, Give me a break. They're gonna be just fine and Mahomes because he's a great teammate. Do you see who he went to three times in the first quarters.
Speaker 3: Tony, Yeah, no, I did.
Speaker 4: I did notice that.
Speaker 2: I'm not freezing you out. I'm throwing you the ball. Five targets, five catches you and.
Speaker 3: He did, and he even yeah, I was about to say, and he even made a mistake pretty early on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the and sky Moore caught a touchdown, his first regular season touchdown after he had a big drop.
Speaker 3: So, I honestly wasn't a huge fan at the time. I'm glad the Chiefs got the dub, but that was not exactly conducive to my teaser.
Speaker 2: Oh what did you have on the teaser on that one?
Speaker 4: It was plus ten and a half versus the Chiefs.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah, that was was It was.
Speaker 4: Just way too close for like the last like eight minutes of the game. Yep.
Speaker 2: Oh did you freak out when on the when the Chiefs were running out the clock. Yeah, and then Mahomes is scrambling around and sky Moore breaks free wide open. It looks like he's going for a touchdown.
Speaker 4: Did you see that playing it over to the left, Yeah, I believe.
Speaker 2: So, Yes, Yeah, it looked and then they took knees after that, but it looked like he was going duh.
Speaker 4: It was glorious. I was the last.
Speaker 2: Time you had a big teaser involving the Jags. It didn't end great.
Speaker 4: That was the I mean, it was really it was the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but the jack side of it, all right, Speaking of the.
Speaker 3: Cowboys, Cowboys, the Cowboys have hung seventy while only allowing ten points in two games. You already know you thought that they were making the super Bowl at the beginning of the season, yep, But the offense did have to settle for three red zone field goals, and the Eagles and forty nine ers look unstoppable. Obviously, have you seen enough from dak to prove that he won't be holding Dallas back this year?
Speaker 2: I I don't think he's gonna hold him back. He doesn't have to be the best player on the team. The offense doesn't even have to lead this team, first of all. Second of all, that if we're talking about a court with the leading NFC contenders, you're gonna hate this demand say sorry, And we're talking about a quarterback holding somebody back. The concern is not Dak Prescott. It's brock Perty. I get it, the guys doesn't lose stand, but to act anyone to act like they have more faith in Purty than Prescott is ludicrous. And I disagree with the commentary right now on the Eagles. I think the Eagles. I know that after that Thursday night game, the commentary was is there something wrong with the Eagles offense. I don't think there's anything wrong with the Eagles offense. I am highly concerned if I'm an Eagles fan, with that Eagles secondary and that Eagles pass defense. Again, I remind everyone last year, every above average quarterback they played other than Cousins lit them up. There was only six of them. Golf, Trevor Mahomes, Dak Rogers all lit up that defense as far as putting up points and yards. The only one that didn't was Kirk. This year, Mac Jones throws for three, sixteen and three touchdowns in Game one, and then Kirk, the guy whose number they had last year. Kirk has a monster game. Kirk throws four, three sixty four and four touchdowns. I don't think that Eagles, if they don't get to the quarterback, that pass defense is a big problem, and they're very fortunate they won that. I mean Minnesota, Jung the ball over had four lost fumbles and there were five fumbles in that football game. Philly recovered all of them. So I don't think the Eagles look great. I do think the Niners look great, there's no denying it. But I'm waiting for the inevitable shoot to drop on brock Perty. We'll see if I'm right. The Cowboys look like the best team in the NFC by a considerable margin.
Speaker 3: In this time period. We reevaluate the situation and let's try week eight. Maybe.
Speaker 4: Is that? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Is that what you're talking about?
Speaker 3: The situation? Yeah, the inevitable. I feel like the inevitable is supposed to inevitably happen weeks ago or maybe last year, but we just keep extending that time period.
Speaker 2: Okay, No, here's what I'll say. Rock Purty has started ten games in his career. Ten one of them was the Eagles playoff game where he didn't really get to play. So nine games, but we could call it ten because he also came in the Dolphins game, So he's basically played ten full NFL games. I need to see more of a sample. That's all, there's nothing wrong with that. I am I holding his draft position against him?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 2: Am I holding the fact that he is almost exactly my size against him? Yeah, I am hold, I am and I am I holding against him that. I've seen this story before with Niners quarterbacks who I did not think was good were good. And now we're seeing that Niners quarterback play quarterback for the Las Vegas Raiders and not be good. Yeah, I am so. I guess we'll wait and see. All right, go ahead, next one another quarterback. There is a quarterback that I was so high on coming into the NFL. Then I kind of turned on him, and now I might be turning back, But go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, all right? After beating New England, two is the current betting favorite to win MVP. Dolphins are being called a Super Bowl contender and many are calling them their dark horse team. Well, the Bengals, Bills, and Chiefs looking vulnerable. Where are you on the Dolphins' chances to make a deep run?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I picked them to win the AFC East. They now I mean to meet They're the Now are they the favorites? Let me look?
Speaker 4: Are right?
Speaker 2: I had it over got I just closed it by accident. Well, the I mean they should be, but Vegas looms the Bills. Man, they are the slight favorites over the Bills. They're minus one oh five. The Bills are plus one forty, the Jets are ten to one, and the Patriots are fifteen to one. Listen, I'm gonna say the same thing everybody says. If Tua stays healthy, there's one of the most dangerous teams in the league. Now, one thing that I will say is everyone is kind of working into the math that they're gonna get Jalen Ramsey back at the end of the year. I don't know if they are. They aren't when you have that meniscous repair surgery that's four to six months, So Ramsey might not be coming. I'm not sure. But right now they look great and Tyreek is unguardable and Mike McDaniel's one of the sharpest coaches in the entire league, and so to me, there is like legitimate reason to fear the Dolphins. Would I do I believe that Tua could come into Arrowhead and handle that. I don't, But they're now on those list of teams that you must that you've got to absolutely treat like a true contender, which is why this offseason not to pat myself on the back, but I will. When everyone was crowning the Jets or still crowning the Bills, I picked Miami to win that division. I believe in the Dolphins, but we probably do need to see maybe a little bit more from them. Go ahead, demanse nothing.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I'm glad we need to see more of them too for you to give a real assessment.
Speaker 4: I like it.
Speaker 2: Well, no, no, I just to it. It's like he's got it. We've never seen him in a playoff game, and he's the biggest injury concern in the league. Like those are just objective statements, all right, last one?
Speaker 3: All right, the Patriots are zero and two and Belichick's quest to pass Don Shula is fleeting.
Speaker 4: Mac Jones is clearly not the answer you just said.
Speaker 3: The Patriots have the have worse odds than Zach Wilson's Jets to win the AFC East.
Speaker 4: As his legacy are. Has his legacy already been put in danger?
Speaker 2: No, it's like, I mean, only I'm not calling you this because I know you're just asking the question. Only an idiot would think his legacy is like in danger. And I'm not talking about our producers either, because that's the I'm being clear. That is like the discussion people are having. But I think anyone entertaining the idea that a coach, the greatest defensive mind in the history of the sport, who has six Super Bowl rings, who's been to thirteen conference championship games, who's been to nine Super Bowls, and then also that's just as a head coach, as a defensive coordinator has two super Bowl rings. Anyone thinking his legacy is in danger, is I think crazy. Here's what's not crazy, asking the question on if the game's passed him by it might have. His fourth down decisions not great, his two point conversion decisions multiple times, he was down fourteen this last week against the Dolphins. Opportunities to go for two when you're supposed to, doesn't His challenge that everybody was like, oh, it was so funny the way through the flag. Nobody focused on the fact that was a terrible challenge. You needed the time out, you had no chance of winning it, and what are you doing, like, you're just angry challenging And now his legacy, here's what is fair. His legacy as a GM has taken a significant hit. He picks these players and they have no talent on offense. They have no one on offense that scares you. Mac Jones is black. They have no playmakers. Matt Jones completed thirty one passes for two hundred yards on Sunday. That's like an algebra problem that's unsolvable. Only three times in the last forty five years in the NFL has someone completed thirty or more passes zoo, of which went for at least fifteen yards. They have no big plays. And I don't know if he's gonna catch Schula. Now his legacy is unimpeachable, but this part of the era not going great. And the producers now say he's two games under five hundred without Tom Brady. Are we sure we shouldn't ask more questions? Guys, it'd be one thing if he has a giant sample without Brady of good quarterbacks. He doesn't. He was in Cleveland. He had one year with Bloodsoe. When Bloodsoe again, they were five and eleven. That year. We did see him win eleven games with Matt Castle, saw him make the playoffs with mac Jones. If he has had below average quarterbacks in his career without Brady, and he's a five hundred coach. It's, by the way, the same exact situation Mike Tomlin finds himself. In Mike Tomlin when Bit, when he had Big Bit, they're competing for championships. When he had the final couple years of Big Ben, they're not. And now post Big Ben, they're not. Like did Tomlin get worse or did he just not have a quarterback anymore? So the I just he's an all time legendary coach, the greatest defensive mind ever, and his roster management drafting as of late hasn't been great. I think I insulted one and I think that one of our producers he's also old. Also, maybe I was a little harsh with the idiot comment. I didn't mean to hurt me feel it.
Speaker 3: It was just crazy because like I had, I had worded the question that way. It wasn't even in the rundown like that. And then like I asked it that way, and You're like, whoever would ask that question as an idiot? And I'm like, oh, I apologize that.
Speaker 2: That's why I apologize. I realized I was a little harsh there. That's my bad, Quick break right back?
Speaker 4: What's Right?
Speaker 5: This episode is brought to you by Unstoppable. Discover the inspiring true story about Anthony Roebliss, who defined every expectation to become a national wrestling champion, and Unstoppable, a new original movie from Amazon MGM Studios and director William Goldenberg, Evoking the excitement and camaraderie of classic sports dramas and thrilling wrestling matches. Unstoppable features an all star ensemble cast including Juell Jerome, Jennifer Lopez, Don Cheatle, Michael Panya, and Bobby Canavalli. Watch Unstoppable now exclusively on Amazon Prime Video.
Speaker 2: All Right, Demon's eight time Now for a game right or Wrong? Our a block went very long, so we're going to try to power through this, but go ahead.
Speaker 4: It did all right, So right or Wrong?
Speaker 3: After seeming out of sorts all all in the all of the entire last season, Baker Mayfield's boxer two to zero Right or Wrong?
Speaker 4: Tom Brady was the problem in Tampa.
Speaker 2: No, Brady wasn't the problem. But the running games better, the offensive line is healthier, and people wrote off this team for dead way earlier than they should have. Now again, I don't know if they're going to keep it up, but I'll tell you this much. I said it earlier. I think that Eagles pass defense can get got and Baker plays him this week, I wouldn't be I'd be very careful of using the Eagles in a survivor pool this week. Now, the Eagles maybe blow up that offensive line and blow up Baker. I'm not acting like that would be crazy, but Baker's playing really really well, and folks got to acknowledge it. He's playing really really well.
Speaker 3: All right, next, all right, the Chargers are still the Chargers, and while Brandon Staley deserve some blame, it doesn't feel like Mahomes or Hurts would be losing these games right or wrong.
Speaker 4: Justin Herbert is the problem.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. He's not the problem, but he's paid to be the solution. That's the issue. Bar the Oh okay, oh thanks Demanse. I mean he's the Bill. James used to say that the worst teams in sports have an amazing ability to blame their best players for their biggest problems, meaning like, when a team stinks very often, the guys who get blamed are the only guys who are actually performing at a high level. It's everyone else. But the guys at a high level are the guys we know. And I do think that happens to a degree. But justin Herbert is not paid like he's a good quarterback, and he is not discussed like he is a good quarterback. He is paid and he is discussed like he is a great quarterback. And he has not been that. He's been good. His numbers this year objectively are good. He in Week one they scored thirty points and that should be enough to win. Well, it might have been thirty four points. Actually in Week two he led a game aim tying field goal drive. The problem is, and yes, Staley has been ever since Staley got bullied out of going for fourth downs, he's been a zero as a coach. That's undeniable. But for Herbert, they expect you, when you get the ball back against the Dolphins and you've scored thirty four points in that game, to drive your team in a field goal rangs down two and get the win. When you get the ball back against the Titans, not to drive to the fifteen install to kick a game tying field goal, but to put it in the end zone. And when you win the toss in overtime, certainly to not go three and out. So no, Herbert is good. They need him to be great. But Staley's gonna get fired, so it doesn't really matter.
Speaker 3: All right, next, okay, all right, Daniel Jones led the biggest Giants comeback since nineteen forty nine, leading Ili Mannings to steal your bit. I'm gonna show the tweet.
Speaker 2: I know this was bs man. Yeah, you see this. Never a doubt.
Speaker 3: Eli got a bigger platform, and now everybody's gonna tie it to Eli Manning instead of Nick.
Speaker 2: Right, does he have a bigger platform? Hold on a second here, Nope, five hundred and eighteen thousand Twitter followers about sixty k behind your boy?
Speaker 3: Did you say five hundred and eighteen thousand that's what he has?
Speaker 4: Eli? That's a shocker to me.
Speaker 2: Maybe is it five hundred and seventy five thousand? Maybe so, but I didn't see it on Instagram. So pump your brakes on the old he's got a bigger platform.
Speaker 3: But go ahead the CU trade anyways, But Saquon Barkley is out for three weeks.
Speaker 4: Right or wrong, the Giants are playoff bound.
Speaker 2: Wrong? No, I mean listen. I did give your guy Daniel Jones credit, and I was rooting for him for reasons we'll discuss in a moment in the second half of that game, and he played great. But the Giants are cooked. I mean they You don't get outscored sixty to nothing to start your season and be a good team. Sixty to nothing through six quarters. And now they rallied the Cardinals. Yeah, they rallied and they temporarily saved their season. But Demonse, here's what they've got coming up Thursday at San Francisco, then home for Seattle, then at the Dolphins at the Bills. They're cooked and Saquan's injured, like I'm sorry, and everyone else in their division is undefeated amazingly. So yeah, the Giants are in real trouble. But shout out Daniel Jones was a great second half and it won me a bunch of money.
Speaker 4: Next shout out DJ.
Speaker 3: All Right, down ten with no time left, the Rams strangely opted to kick a field goal. The spread happened to be Rams plus seven. Of course in some places, yeah, right, of course, that's not what McVeigh was thinking. But it was pretty weird, right or wrong? Sean McVay wanted the kicker to get some extra reps.
Speaker 2: No, Sean McVay did technically the right thing, and with seven seconds left rather than four seconds, no one would question it. He did the right thing because if you're down two scores in the waning moments, if you're down i'm sorry, a touchdown in a field goal two touchdowns, obviously it's not the case. The optimum strategy is kick the field goal on side kick and then do the hail mary with like two seconds left, because the hail mary takes so long. If you try to do that on the front end, you're not gonna have time for the on side kicking field goal. So if there were seven seconds left, you kick the field goal, that's then takes four seconds. There's now three seconds left. You kick the on side kick. An onside kick recovery can take one second because the clock doesn't start until someone touches it. So a perfectly executed on side kick, you get it on a high bounce, you get it, you go straight down, then you have time for a hail mary. That's what he was thinking. The problem is, with four seconds left, there's no time for the field goal, plus the on side kick, so you know, he ended up helping out those of us that had the rams plus seven and a half. So much love, Sean McVay, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Next speed of hail Mary's Russell Wilson completed both the hail Mary and blew a twenty one point lead in the same game.
Speaker 4: But he definitely looks better this year. Right or wrong, Russ is cooked.
Speaker 2: Right, he's cooked. Listen. He looks better than the first halves and in the second he's been the worst second half quarterback in one of the worst second half quarterbacks in football. Once again, they have Sean and by the way, Sean Payton will throw him under the bus if he needs to, and is already starting the process. He already said maybe Russ needs a wristband. He needs to be sharper Sean Payton. That interview Sean Payton did with USA today is still rearing its ugly head because he said it was the worst coaching job in NFL history last year. If we don't make the playoffs, we're gonna be pissed. And they look very similar. He just blew an eighteen point lead at home to Sam Howell. So yeah, listen, Russ is cooked. Even though he's better than last year. And I think they're in real, real, real trouble.
Speaker 3: All right, next, all right, Pooka Nikoua is a name people are quickly gonna come to know after setting a bunch of records in his first two games.
Speaker 4: Right or wrong, Nicoole will win Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a good question. I mean, I hadn't even thought of that. But the record for the first two catches in your first two career games was I think nineteen. My guy's got twenty five the best. Maybe he'll win Rookie of the Year. It's too early to say. Anthony Richards, C. J. Stroud just threw for three eighty. You know, people, B Jean Robinson is the smart bet and the bet that I made. What I will say my more fun and shout out to first in pod that football podcast with Danny Parkins and Andrew Philippony that I listened to every Monday and Thursday. They do a great job with it for mentioning this, and I don't think this is fair, but it is an interesting question. Is Pooka Nakula showing that Cooper Cup is a system receiver? Is Pooka Nakulah all of a sudden, coming in as a fifth round rookie and just catching all the routes Cooper Cup caught and doing all of that. And now listen, Cooper Cup was unbelievable in that Super Bowl. He's obviously more than a system receiver. But does it make you look at Cooper Cup a tie a bit differently that this twenty two year old fifth round bick from BYU can have twenty five catches? Maybe a little bit, maybe a little bit differently?
Speaker 3: All right, next, All right, last year you raved about Justin Fields, but he's now lost twelve straight as the Bears starter. Right or wrong Fields will keep his starting gig in Chicago.
Speaker 2: I do not remember raving about Justin Fields. I don't remember that there were a couple games where he did look dynamic, but I have never been fully sold on Fields. If the tape you know says I'm wrong, then we can play it on Thursday. I don't remember raving about him. Go ahead.
Speaker 3: I do remember little time spurts where you were speaking very highly at Justin Fields. I can't go back and log it exactly, but I do remember faintly you saying like get justin fields, some pieces, some other stuff.
Speaker 4: Piece, just see what he could do.
Speaker 2: The producers are saying, I called him the most electric runner of the football at the quarterback position outside of Vic and Lamar. Well that's acting.
Speaker 3: That.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I still think that they don't let him run anymore. And it looks like he can't throw anymore. You could throw at Ohio State. I listen, the Bears are in real bad shape. They're in real bad shape, and so I don't know, I don't know what they do. They had the number one pick of the draft this last year and traded the Wakes. They believed in fields, and now it looks like they might be regretting that.
Speaker 3: All right, next, the Jets are screwed, but Aaron Rodgers says he's gonna come back. He's gonna try to come back and make an attempt to make it for the playoffs. Right or wrong, A what and sixteen team? He can make the playoffs.
Speaker 2: All of a sudden, Aaron Rodgers, a big believer in modern medicine, color me just shocked. I listen, he's not coming back this year. Guy popped his achilles and the Jets aren't making the playoffs anyway, and they have a shot of making the playoffs if they trade for James Winston or do something at quarterback. Yeah, exactly. But Zach Wilson, I mean, Zach Wilson's one of the worst quarterbacks in NFL history. I there's just everybody is like at this point, people are like going the other direction. I mean, like, like, it's not Zach's fault. It is Zach was twelve to twenty seven with three picks.
Speaker 4: The cow He's played the Cowboys and the Bills so.
Speaker 2: Far, every game of his career, he's been terrible every game. You know those things you see on Twitter sometimes where it's like, if someone gave you ten million dollars and asked you to complete one pass in the NFL, could you do it? The the answer is, well, I don't know. Like if the question is like, what would just a guy who played some high school football who was dropped into an NFL game, look, turn on the Jets while Zach Wilson's the quarterback, I mean that's the answer. I mean again, I everyone's like, oh, we don't want to be mean. I feel badly for him. He is being asked to do something he cannot do. If every Sunday. They're like, they were like, Nick, we need you to unicycle on national television. I'm gonna be like, well, this sucks. I don't know how to do this, but they're making me do it. That's Zach playing quarterback in the NFL. He's like, this sucks. I don't know how to do this, but they're making me do this. I mean, just what it is like. Maybe he's a good guy, I don't know, but he's he's he's one of the five worst quarterbacks I've ever seen in my life that regularly gets opportunities. All right, next he just is He's terrible.
Speaker 4: All right.
Speaker 3: HBO canceled Winning Time after their ratings were cut nearly in half for the second season. Or at least it's what they want you to think, right or wrong, Wainning Time was canceled because they cast the wrong guy for Byron Scott.
Speaker 4: I can't stop listen.
Speaker 2: I don't know the demonse should have been, Byron Scott? What is what do you? I didn't watch Winning Time? What is wild? Is they clearly anticipated getting a third season because it's called Winning Time. It's about the Lakers rise to greatness in the eighties. Their big rival was the Celtics. Demonse, do you know how the season two winds like? It's not? Yes? The final season of Winning Time is the Celtics winning the eighty four title. What a disaster. The final part is larry them. Yeah, they didn't get to Like in nineteen eighty five. It crescendos for the Lakers. They beat the Celtics in the finals. They get their revenge, all of it, and and we know we're never gonna get to see it. It's unbelievable. All right, last one?
Speaker 3: All right?
Speaker 4: Uh, you cash in?
Speaker 3: You cash in a big bet, a big live bet on Sunday predicting that the Cardinals will blow it and Russ would be Russ.
Speaker 4: I think we're gonna show a tweet for those watching on YouTube.
Speaker 2: Have you seen DEMONTI? Did you see this?
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had to argue with this guy to get this put on the show. By the way, Uh but uh but yes, that's that's insane.
Speaker 4: This we're doing this. He wanted to be modest for.
Speaker 2: The people listening it was and that I appreciate you having my back there, but that is not true. I said we need to put it on the show, Gabe, because he's smart Gabe, our fearless leader. Gabe thinks that I might alienate some of the audience. Gabe didn't say this, but I know it by publishing bet show right the yeah you know what?
Speaker 4: Sure?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I it was the Giants were down twenty to twenty one to seven and Washington was down twenty to three, and I live bet parlayed at five hundred and the payout was twenty one thousand, seven hundred and we banked it. Now, the right or wrong is dior deserves her cut. If Door listens to this show or watches this show, she'll get her cut. What I will say is, demonse you demanse had I don't need to get into details banking snaff fu. And because of that, he didn't have access to some of his money. So I sent him money a couple of weeks ago and he said, hey, I'll send you half this day and half the next day, and without any prompting, without me asking anything, he sent the half. So because I hit a nice little windfall there, you can keep the other half. And if Diora watches and listens to this, she can get the same amount. If she doesn't, she's just out of luck out there, you know, enjoying her first week at college. But so we don't have to say what that amount is. It's not a ton of money, but it's you know.
Speaker 3: It's very generous of you. I appreciate that. Looking at the bet, I just don't really know how to like it's like, oh, but you should get more. No, No, I didn't know. That is not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying, like to you, this does not matter at all. This is this, But in my world, this is this is everything.
Speaker 4: This is everything.
Speaker 3: I may or may not give Diora some leads. She's in college. It's gonna real bit of.
Speaker 2: All right, so the the how about this? Don't give her any leads for at least forty eight hours, and then on Thursday on the pod, we'll see if she is. We can re update the story, and then we'll decide whether or not you should tip her off fair but don't say anything to her for at least forty eight hours. But the funny thing about that bet was I they kept offering me cash outs, and it was a five hundred dollars bet, and within thirty minutes the cat like with the when neither team. Neither the Giants nor the UH Washington had the lead. They were offering me five thousand, because at that point they were both games were in the bounce, so five hundreds bet they were offered me ten x. I was like, no, that's not doing it, even though at the time that didn't seem like a terrible idea because I need both teams were still trailing. Then when the Giants had won and the Washington was up eleven, it flipped like that, the Giants game is over, Washington is up eleven. Now my bet is seemingly locked. The cash out option was only, like I shouldn't say only, but in comparison, it was seventeen thousand, and I was like, are you kidding me? The winner it pays nearly twenty two. One half the bet is done, the other half. I have an eleven point lead with four minutes left, like the cash out option should be if the win is twenty two, the cash out option should be like twenty right now. So I was like, that's ridiculous even and I've never cashed out a bet in my life, but I wouldn't even consider it. Demanse. When that Hail Mary was completed, I dropped to my knees. That's the other part of this bet. It was an all time legendary bet that almost was an all time stomach punch. The team that was down eighteen was up eleven with four minutes to go, and up eight with three seconds to go and a triple tiptail. Mary ended up coming in, but there his pass interference on the two point conversion of.
Speaker 4: What in his cage at that moment, So in his gut, Dexter was.
Speaker 2: The most locked up a dog that has ever been. Dexter Dexter was hanging out for the beginning of football and then Chiefs Jags was a little more stressful than I anticipated when the Chiefs were on some fumbling passes, so I locked him up then. And then my plan was to take him out, you know, a halftime of the four o'clock games. But then then I was too invested in those, So Dexter Dexter was locked up until Sunday night football. Dexter had a nice day hanging out by himself. All right, quick break, come back, answer, just a few quick questions because I'm late today. What's right? Welcome back? In episode one seventy eight, What's Right? With Nick Wright. Demons realizes, now we're on cameras he wipes his eyes for all the YouTube audience to see. Demons go ahead and read the questions, and if you have any shout outs you want to do, go ahead there as well.
Speaker 3: My friend all right, DJB says, do you think Shador is a top ten pick? Nick?
Speaker 2: Not yet, but but trending towards it. He's not there yet. Need also see more from him against better competition. And again you're seeing good competition, but I'm very excited to see him against Oregon. Now, USC's defense is no good, but he's been wildly impressive. He's not to me anywhere close to the same tier as Caleb, but he has shown a lot, man, And that ninety eight yard drive with the game on the line, with all that pressure, that absolutely showed a lot. All right.
Speaker 3: Next Wiki two says party is nearly as many good games as Trevor in the NFL ninety plus.
Speaker 2: Ratings with any plus rating.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, and fewer attempts and more good college games with lesser talent.
Speaker 4: How do you need? How do you need more from Brock but not Trevor?
Speaker 3: Okay, guys, oh you're going to talk about the pedigree and how he came from college and he was this prospect.
Speaker 2: Of course, yes, I am all right. First of all, do not compare Trevor Lawrence's college career to brock parties. Stop it, stop it. And yes, in professional athletics, the guy who, since he was twelve, everyone said is one of the best twelve year old's, thirteen year old's, fourteen year old, fifteen year old, sixty year old they've ever seen. Who is six ' six, who won a national championship, who was the number one pick of the draft. Yes, that guy. I'm going to give more dispensation to. Furthermore, guy who took over a team that had won one game and then within two years they are in the playoffs winning a playoff game versus a guy who took over the most stacked team in the league. Give me a break, But yes, the one. The fact that one guy is six inches taller and was a better high school player by a mile, a better college player. I think college thing is ridiculous by a mile. Of course, I'm going to believe in him more, of course I am. That's with respect Will Kinchen, That's ridiculous.
Speaker 3: Okay, Next, all rightn Quvin Kevin Quajano ass So the Vikings trade Cousins to the Jets for some defensive pieces or pigs in tank for Caleb.
Speaker 2: It's a popular one people are talking about if they lose this week maybe because because Cousins' contract is up after this year, if they don't think they're going to bring him back. If the Jets win this weekend against the Patriots, just based purely on defense and Zach is terrible and the Vikings lose, I could see that potentially being a hotter topic. I brew brought it up on the TV show. It's possible. I think it's unlikely, but I think it's possible. All right, before we go, demanse, we're done with the questions because I gotta go. I gotta go do Colin and the TV show Demonse, go.
Speaker 3: Ahead, yo, big shout out to Madeline Morrow. Just wanted to wish your happy birthday. Let you know I love you, dude. That's it.
Speaker 2: Why did you throw a dude at the end of it?
Speaker 4: Because call everyone dude.
Speaker 2: You were about to really, by the way, because Maddie is a gender neutral name, you were really going to confuse the audience there that was going to be like the curveball. You just threw it the audience with the.
Speaker 3: Yeah girl, Baddy, Just so we're clear, day's her birthday.
Speaker 4: I love that girl.
Speaker 2: Happy birthday, made happy birthday happy. I'm glad you were able to do that. This was a really good show you did. Rally Demanse, you were excellent. I know you're a little sier Weather. I appreciate it. I know you got to get to work. I got to go on with my guy Colin, uh and then see on First things first at three o'clock, what's right