Speaker 1: Hey, welcome to Weird House Cinema. This is Rob Lamb. We have another episode from the past for you here today. This one originally published six thirty, twenty twenty three. In it, we cover the Ramsey Brothers nineteen eighty four film Purana Mandar. This one is a lot of fun. This was our first dive into Bollywood horror. I say first, we haven't actually done a second Bollywood horror film yet. So as we mentioned in this episode, if you have suggestions Ramsey Brothers pictures or other examples of Bollywood horror or science fiction that we should cover, write in with your suggestions. Okay, let's go ahead and jump right in.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Stuff to Blow your Mind, a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 1: Hey you welcome to Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: This is Rob Lamb and this is Joe McCormick.
Speaker 1: Today. This is an exciting intrigue in the Weird House Cinema catalog because we are going to be covering our first film from India. It's always fun when we can dive into a new film culture, a new national film tradition. And I know for me personally Indian cinema, Bollywood in particular, this is a whole area of film that I really don't have much of any exposure to. So I was excited to watch this movie research it a bit because not only is it is it Bollywood, it is Bollywood horror. We're going to be talking about Purana mandir a if not only a horror movie, but like the horror movie from India from nineteen eighty four.
Speaker 3: This is also my first full viewing of a Bollywood movie. I've watched a lot of clips from them before. Often, like people will clip out really great musical numbers from them and put them online, so I've seen plenty of those, but yeah, this was the first time I've seen the whole thing. But man, this movie was mostly great, at some points awful, and really got my mind cranking about the what it means to have musical numbers in a film.
Speaker 1: Yes, because one of the if you don't know anything, or you don't know much about Indian cinema and Bollywood in particular, you may know that there are musical numbers. It's a big song and dance numbers. And I think at times this can be like knowing this can be kind of like a barrier to entry. You might think, well, I don't know if I'm up for that. I mean, I'm not a musical fan. Or even if you decide, oh, well there's a horror genre, I want to get into that, but then you realize there are musical numbers, maybe you're going to hold back. But yeah, it's interesting to sort of break that down, like, well, how different is that from anything we watch over here? You know, we have this have a genre of musical obviously it goes in various directions, but also we have strong musical segments in various pictures where you'll feature a particular track. It just maybe you don't have characters actually singing that song.
Speaker 3: Yes, I agree with all of that. I mean it really got me thinking, why don't American horror movies tend to have musical numbers in them? And if they did, why would we say, well, actually, this is just a totally different genre now it is a musical. Why couldn't all genres have musical numbers, Because, as you say, music features in other movies, diagetic and non diegetic music features in as long as the characters aren't singing, it's not a musical. But there's no particular reason I think of why. The fact that characters do sing in a movie should make that a separate genre from whatever the narrative content is. So yeah, I think we should have more fantasy, sci fi movies, whatever, horror movies that have characters singing songs, because songs are great. Now that I've experienced a Bollywood film, it in no way takes away from my enjoyment of this as a cheesy horror movie, and I don't really see why you would resist. I think maybe there's one impulse that says, like musical numbers could take away from the seriousness of the film. There's another that says it could take away from the quote realism. I'd say, if you're overly concerned with either of those, maybe you shouldn't be making a horror movie.
Speaker 1: I think another sort of barrier to entry, or sort of expectation is that might be for many and it was kind of this way for me. Is I expected going into a musical number to be clunkier and take me out of the picture more. And there are sections of the film that do manage to take me out of the picture and are clunky, but the musical numbers, like you get the impression like this is down to like an art, just in Indian cinema in general, and so if a movie's going into a musical number, they know what they're do doing, like you're gonna have a smooth takeoff and landing with the emotional arc of whatever that particular song happens to be.
Speaker 3: Every time a song kicked in, I was like, Okay, now we're cooking. Even the kind of sad, slower paced songs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, because it's not coming out of nowhere, It's coming out of what's going on emotionally with the characters, or especially towards the end of this picture, with like the driving nature of the plot.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, the human Sacrifice song I think was my favorite song in the movie.
Speaker 1: All right, So again, this was my first Bollywood film. I'd never watched one in its entirety, like you had seen some clips, so I had to do a little extra reading about everything. There's a lot of things about Bollywood cinema that I was not familiar with and just did not know about. So, for instance, bear with me if you already knew all of this. But when we talk about Bollywood cinema, we're talking about films specifically coming out of the Mumbai Film industry Mumbai formerly known as Bombay. You get it, like Bombay plus Hollywood equals Bollywood. And while it's perhaps the most well known internationally of the various Indian film centers, Indian cinema is not a monolith like India itself. India cinema consists of various languages and cultures and in the different cinematic traditions and centers have like different strengths, different histories and so forth. So some of the various extras on the disc or discs that we looked at for this as well as some articles, it was a real learning experience for me to familiarize myself somewhat with this. I mean it goes beyond genre with this, just whole realm of cinema.
Speaker 3: By the way, just as one example of other film subcultures of India, I know, there is also the so called Tollywood, which refers to to Hollywood with a tea, referring to films made in the Telugu language, which is one of the many languages of India.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, And then likewise you have in Pakistan you have Lollywood that is centered in Lahore. I didn't know anything about Lollywood either until I started absorbing some of these extras on these discs. But this film Parana Mandha from eighty four is very much Bollywood. It is a Bollywood film, it is a Bollywood horror film, and it's going to be interesting to discuss exactly what all of that means, because, to a very large degree, the filmmakers here, the Ramsey Brothers, are pushing into an area that had traditionally been less successful and more of fringe within Bollywood cinema. But still it's going to have things in it that are very much part of the Bollywood blueprint, and that includes a compelling story of starcrossed lovers, a fair amount of family melodrama, multiple music numbers. Now this was interesting. I was looking at an excer where was an interview with a critic Omar Khan, and it out that eight or so musical numbers per movie is pretty standard.
Speaker 3: Oh so this seems under the average, right. I think there were maybe five in this movie?
Speaker 1: Is that right? I lost count after a little while, just because I'm not used to seeing any in my heart, but I saw something where he was talking about a later Ramsey Brothers film where he's like, well, there are only four musical numbers in this which may seem like a lot too outsiders, but like really it's like a half load. But on top of the music, on top of the horror, which we'll get to, we also have martial arts action, you got a little dancing. You've got some comedic segments which we're probably not going to talk about too much other than to say they are awful. But all of this comes together into what felt to me it's kind of like a circus, right. It's like you go to a circus. They're going to be a number of acts. You may not be there primarily to see the clowns. You may be there to see the trapeze act, but the clowns are going to be there because somebody came with the expectation of clowns. Within talk of Bollywood film in particular, i've seen this described as Massala film. That is a reference to the spice blend. You know, you're going to the theater to see this show, and by golly, it needs to deliver a little something for everyone. A little of this spice, a little of that, all under the big top of cinema.
Speaker 3: Now, if it sounds like that's a lot to fit into one movie. It is. This is a long movie. This is definitely the longest movie we've covered on Weird House, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it beats out Blade by twenty minutes, which I think is it's important to keep that in mind because it's not absurdly long like they are longer. Plenty of longer Bollywood films, and there are plenty of longer Western films as well. Avatar two is longer than Piranha Mander, so you know, don't necessarily let the length, you know, keep you away from these films. And there's an intermission too, so you got that.
Speaker 3: Going for Love an intermission.
Speaker 1: Now, the disc we watched this on and I'll give a full mention of that and just a bit here has an introduction from Indian horror expert Tim Paxton. He provides the intro and he points out that Parana Mandir is one of the most important films in Bollywood history and probably the most important film in the history of Indian horror cinema specifically. In one of the interesting things here is produced on a very modest budget, but it was a colossal hit. I was looking at some of the numbers and if I was doing my math correctly, it multiplied its budget in revenue on the scale of something like Rocky or Blair Witch Project like that level of success. Just did an amazing business.
Speaker 3: Have you read anything from somebody who knows about the Bollywood market like what audience has responded to so much about this movie in particular? Like why was it so popular?
Speaker 1: Well, Omar Khan gets into this a little bit on some of the extras from this Blu ray set, and a lot of it kind of comes down to luck, you know, Like the Ramses at this point had been pumping out horror content since seventy two, I believe, and none of those films had certainly had anything like this success. But they were out there. It was on the fringes, you know, And so I mean, I guess part of it is like by this point they definitely knew what they were doing with a number of these elements. They knew how to put together things, they knew how to do them a sola film offering, So they did have a little bit for everybody. And I don't know, it was just like the right time, Like audience has just really responded to it. And he described it as being like a generational date movie. Like if you were going to cinemas in India during this time period, you saw this movie and it was also he points out, you know, probably going to be especially for how mainstream it became. It was offering things people just hadn't seen before because Western horror films could only really enter into like the general zeitgeist there so much because they weren't coming in on like satellite TV or anything. They were they were coming in on it. They weren't being shown in the theater for the most part. They were coming in on VHS tapes, and those were in rare you know, and there were those were hard to get. Only certain people had access to those. And so this is a film that has some really scary stuff in it, and you can just imagine how much more scary it is if you didn't have direct exposure to say The Exorcist or the first Evil Dead movie or something like that.
Speaker 3: I can also see how it would be such a great date movie since it has you know, it's like, it's like scary so the classic cliches. It gets you hugging clothes because you know, because the sam reas out here are about to do something evil.
Speaker 1: But it's also got a great love story. Yeah yeah, you got again. You've got a romance at the heart of it. You've got family melodrama the heart of it. You've got the music, You've got the comedy, You've got the dancing girl. You've got all these things that that that any given viewer is going to be wanting to see out of a Bollywood film. But it's also offering something that is new, and that the newness ends up being key because this kicks off a horror boom in India. There the Ramsey Brothers end up coming out a lot of additional horror films. They have competitors, and also, you know, other folks just jump in to try and ride that bandwagon, and it actually they end up writing it out by something like I want to say ninety two, so the boom doesn't last too long. But during that time, everybody gets in there and and some of the films are supposed to be quite good, but there's a sort of sameness to everything, and after a while people seen it and it loses that new edge that this film seemed to have.
Speaker 3: I think a similar thing happened with some of the biggest money making horror films in the United States in the eighties. Also kind of the slasher formula got repeated and played out to death.
Speaker 1: Yeah, or the or later on the speaking of blair Witch, the found footage formula, because you know, that's a case where, for the most part, people hadn't really seen a film like this. It was produced on a very low budget, made tremendous money, and lots of folks jumped in there to try and recreate that success, and god goodness, off the top of my head, i'm not sure anybody really did, so, Yeah, I think it's a it's a good comparison, though only in terms of like sort of business and impact, not so much style.
Speaker 3: I think following the blair Witch model, the Paranormal Activity franchise did pretty good, Okay, I think, hmmm, I'm trying to think of another one. I don't know. Yeah, I mean, the found footage style is obviously very appealing because it's cheap to make. But when people were trying to just make, you know, cash in on found footage movies with very uninspired ideas, I think a lot of them missed out on how creative the original blair Witch project actually was.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, and I mean that's that's kind of like written across the horror genre. Wherever you look, right, a successful horror movie comes out and somebody's gonna think I can do that. Horror is easy. Horror films can't be that hard to do, and there is an art to it. There is a certain amount of style, and then there's a certain amount of luck to hitting things just right. And that's what Perana Mandir seems to have done. Let's see just a couple of other notes. Paxton points out that this movie, which deals specifically with a resurrected, evil decapitated wizard, does draw heavily on two prior films, one American in one Spanish nineteen fifty eight is The Thing that Couldn't Die that stars Robin Hughes as the Wizard Gideon Drew, and nineteen seventy two's Horror Rises from the Tomb starring Paul Nashy as the Wizard Alaak Demarnac. This is a film, of course, we discussed on Weird House Cinema.
Speaker 3: I did not expect that. Yeah, Paul Nashy plays the Wizard. He's actually part of like an evil source of or power couple in Horror Rises from the Tomb, Right he has like a white for a girlfriend who's also a powerful wizard.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean the thing about Paul Nashy films is Paul Nashy monsters you're supposed to feel some sort of sympathy for, you know, That's where he's coming from. He's coming from that love of universal horror and sympathy for the monster the wizard. In this film, Samri is unlovable. He is just a complete monster. Every crime that is committable he has done. We are not meant to have any sympathy at all for Samri. And ultimately, I have to say, even though the early stages of the film do, like the historical opening does kind of mirror the opening of Horizons from the Tomb, it ultimately goes in its own direction as opposed to being anything like a clone of that movie.
Speaker 3: Well, on one hand, yes, I agree, Samri is not sympathetic at all in terms of the narrative. He doesn't have like a tragic love story or anything like that. There's nothing likable about him except just his physical vibe. Like the presence of the actor who plays Summary in the opening is so cool.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, Yeah. The performance here by aj Agarwal is tremendous and this is a role that launched him as like a true monster actor for Indian horror cinema.
Speaker 3: We'll have to come back to him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll come back to him for sure, because he's at a light. There are long stretches of the film where he's not there, but when he is there, he's tremendous. Right. Just a couple other small points before we get to the trailer. Basically the film is predominantly in Hindi, though the characters do throw in a little English here and there, and the action ventures into a rural setting, so you'll hear some characters speaking another dialect or language. It's referenced in the Hindi dialogue as well, but I couldn't find an indicator of which language this is.
Speaker 3: I noticed something interesting in the movie where a couple of times somebody would say something in Hindi and then they would say the same thing again in Dash, almost as if for emphasis. And I don't know if that's like something specific to Bollywood movies or just a quirk of this movie in particular, or a convention of of Hindi language in general. I don't know, but I thought that was interesting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, with that, with that specifically and just generally out there, we'd love to hear from listeners after this episode. If you have more experience with Bollywood cinema, if you, if you speak Hindi, if you certainly, if you, if you have experience with the theater, experience of going to these films, all of that is on the table because I've heard it pointed out that it's one thing to watch like a Bollywood film or Bollywood horror film in your living room by yourself. But that, of course was not how they intended a film like this to be viewed. No, this was to be viewed in the theater.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine how much fun it would have been to see this in a pact theater of like young people out on date night?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah? And can you imagine how how afraid people were? Again, if you hadn't seen many horror films and you had to see Sammar I mean, he's he's terrifying almost all the time on the screen. He's at least unnerving, if not just outright terrifying. All right, Well, I mean the elevator pitch on this one is basically it's the biggest Bollywood horror film of them all. It's the It's the granddaddy of Bollywood horror films. It's your basic evil wizard, multi generational family curse romance film with added music and comedy. We have a trailer here. I don't think we're going to play at all, but we'll play at least a nice sampling of this so you can get sort of an audio taste of what's ahead.
Speaker 4: May shut out of how many? How about all right?
Speaker 1: Well, before we go any further, if you would like to watch this movie for yourself, if you'd like to check out here, go and see it and then come back to the rest of the episode. Well, you don't have to depend on some sort of weird stream to view this film, uh, Because there's a wonderful Bollywood Horror limited edition box set that is out from Mondo Macabre. And I checked out a couple of discs from this the disc for this film and then a disc for another movie that had some extras on it, and we rented these discs from Atlanta's own videodrome rental store.
Speaker 3: It's a great print, though it does warn you that there will be some variable quality and different scenes of the movie due to just like storage issues with the film over the years, so the restoration is a bit patchy in places, but for the most part it looks great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one particular I don't even know what to call it, but there's some sort of an error in the final print that we have on the disc here that has almost kind of a psychedelic quality to it, and I didn't really I don't think i'd seen it on a film before, this particular kind of noise. So it's very watchable. Nothing in this gets in the way of your enjoyment of the movie. All right, Well, let's jump into the people involved here. The main ones to really highlight here are the Ramsey brothers, the directors. It's impossible to discuss Indian horror cinema without discussing the Ramsey brothers. Again, they had been doing this since seventy two, and this is the movie that kicked off an enormous boom in Indian cinema for horror, and even like contemporary horror movies, they still have connections to the work of the Ramsey brothers here. Now, Ramsey Brothers, I think can at times refer to just different sons and grandsons of f U Ramsey. But in particular the directors here are Shyam Ramsey and Tulsi Ramsey. Shyam lived fifty two through twenty nineteen and Tulsi lived nineteen forty four through twenty eighteen. Other Ramsey brothers would get in on the directing game at times, like Kishu and Kieran. But yeah, these are the main two we're talking about. They're the ones who directed horror films in the early seventies, with a nineteen seventy two film. In the title for this one translates to two yards under the ground, so already like kind of a grim beginning there. They followed this up with a string of horror and creature films. There's one from eighty two mat Kasaya. I'm probably mispronouncing that, but it looks interesting to me because it has some sort of like big creature water monster in it. I'm not sure this one is available widely in the West, but I put it on my radar because it looks interesting. Neat monster anyway. But anyway, all of these films that they were putting out, these were outliers. The horror pictures just weren't viewed as culturally viable. They weren't seen as potentially anything that would make money at the box office, so it was more fringe stuff. And you know a lot of these pictures, particularly Ramsey productions at the time, they were also pushing boundaries of what was accepted in Hindi cinema at the time. As again, as omar Con points out, most Indian film viewers had little or no exposure to Western horror films and Indian horror films were barely a thing. In fact, I saw an interview with aj Aguah, the main monster actor in this picture, and he said that he didn't know the difference between horror films and regular films before being cast by the Ramses. Like that's how little horror was established in like the general audience's mind. But with this movie, again it hits it just the right time, takes off. Nineteen eighty four becomes a huge hit, a generational date movie, as Con describes, it sets off this massive boom that doesn't really subside till ninety two. The Ramses continue to apply their trade, tons of competitors and imitators trying to get in on the craze as well, until overexposure kicks in and the Boom ties out. The Ramses followed this movie up with nineteen eighty five's Telephone nineteen eighty five's three D Summary, which is obviously the Yeah, the three D sequel of sorts to this movie. Well, but I thought the evil wizard was destroyed at the end of this movie. If an evil wizard makes you enough money, there's no destroying him. He will come back. There's a nineteen and I'm not Also, I haven't seen three D Samary. I assume it's Samri because it's the title is the name of the character. But you know, sometimes a movie like this, maybe it's not a direct sequel. Maybe it's a spiritual sequel. I'm not sure. But there are a slew of interesting looking features that they came out with in the wake of Parana Mandhir, including Takhana from eighty six, Verana from eighty eight, Pirani Haveli from eighty nine, and nineteen ninety's Bond Darwazo, which is said to be quite good more of a traditional Dracula style film, and after that, the well kind of drives up. One of their last big films, if not their last big film, was a nineteen ninety four movie titled Mahaka, which a number of you might be familiar with because it is to be kind, it is very inspired by Nightmare on Elm Street. It is at least a strong homage to Nightmare on Elm Street and features a Freddy Krueger esque character on the cover. So I think this one has gotten some amount of traction. If nothing else, you might have seen some clips or the poster art.
Speaker 3: It does have a guy with knives for fingers.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, yeah. And if you're not sure, like how to spell that title and you want to look it up, just do a search for like Bollywood Freddy Krueger and you will. You'll find it all right. The screenplay on this one was written by another Ramsey, Kumar Ramsey, who lived thirty six through twenty twenty one. He was the screenwriter and a number of their films. This is one of those situations where you know the brothers and the family here they'll often draw in some of the same talent, so this Ramsey also wrote Somari three D in a movie called Guest House. There are also three other contributors also credited here, but I couldn't find out much about them. But there's a story credit, there's a dialogue credit, and there's an assistant dialogue writer. All right, let's get into the cast. So we've talked about him already. But aj Agarwall I believe Aj is short for Annarud. He was born in nineteen forty nine. As of this recording is still out there. I think he's retired now, but yes, he plays our dark wizard of evil who's eventually going to rise from the tomb and get his head back and go on a rampage. He only acted in three Ramsey Brothers films. He played a monster in two of them, in Barana Mandir of course, in the follow up Samari three D or three D summary in eighty five. He also played more of a traditional dracula in that nineteen ninety film Band Do Waza, and he continued to act through twenty ten. Is retired now but mostly just almost exclusively in Hindi films. But he does have a role in Steven Summer's The Jungle Book from nineteen ninety four. I included a picture here for you, Joe. As you can see, he's playing heavy of some sort in this. He's standing next to the villain holding Lena Hetty by the arms.
Speaker 3: Well, that's also Carrie Elwis. I know all three of these actors. I don't think I would have recognized a single one of them in the screenshots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, they're very young. I mean, especially Lena. I wouldn't have recognized her. But anyway, yeah, he's in it. He's very tall. He was like six four six', five, so especially among a lot of, actors he's pretty. Towering andy has just very pronounced. Features i've read this might have been due to like some sort of underlying medical condition as well that sort of gave him pronounced facial. Features. Also, yeah, again very tall and based ON i read an article about him AND i was looking at an interview conducted with, him and basically he made two goes at getting into acting before and after earning a civil engineering certificate or degree of some, sort but at both times he didn't have any. Luck until he had some sort of ill health or injury while working In, muntumbai and he looked even more haggard. Afterwards i'm not sure if he had some sort of like facial bruising or whatever the case may, be but someone came up to him and, said, hey you look pretty. Tough you should be in. Movies and he's, like, well that's What i've been trying to, do but nobody will hire. Me and they, said, say, well you know, what you need to go talk to The ramsey brothers because they will give you a. Chance and so he. Went he talked to The ramsey, brothers and The ramsey brothers at that point were apparently six months into Shooting Piranha, mandir but they hadn't done any of the horror sequences. YET i guess they didn't even have A samari. Castow and they leaned heavily on masks and makeup in previous, films but then in walks a man who who doesn't need as much, makeup you, know and like He's we've seen this in time and time again in various horror cinema periods and, settings where somebody comes in and they just have that unique look where you don't have to do much to, them you, know just a subtle amount of makeup and right lighting and the right lighting and effects and you're already in the horror. Realm and that's what he offered to them.
Speaker 3: Here it's interesting, because as we were saying, earlier this character is in no way likable or. Sympathetic they just make him an absolute, demon like pure, evil not like charismatic or, anything except in the opening sequence before he gets transformed into a More frankenstein type. Creature the Human somary evokes strong rock star. Charisma he has kind of a Shaggy Keith richard's, haircut and the back of his shirt. Sparkles it's got this Like Sequin wolfman. Motif it looks kind of like Something David bowie would have. Worn and he's just like tall and has a kind ofind, of you, know lead guitarist. POSTURE i don't, know he seems very.
Speaker 1: Cool, yeah he's at least a head taller than everybody around. Him at, times he kind of felt like he had kind of A Boris karloff kind of of presence to, him you, know and you, know and also reminds me of various other you, know actors with unique. Appearances but, yeah very strong screen presence from this. Guy and and when he shows back, up he just keeps looking more and more, monstrous and the, lighting the effects are always just really on point whenever he's on. Screen so he's very. Terrifying so That's. Somary that's our. Monster but to have an effective, monster you have to have a bunch of mortals that are in peril or cursed by seid. Monster and so the next major character of note here Is Suman singh played By Ardi gupta's she's our HEROIN i guess you. Know she's the born into a long line along cursed lineage of sings. Here it's a very charismatic. Performance she's a lot of fun on the. Screen the actor, Here, gupta would come back for THREE d summary and also apparently produced a few films much, later including two thousand And seven's A Mighty heart Starring Angelina.
Speaker 3: Jolie, YEAH i Think Artie gupta is. Great she conveys a lot of, emotion especially in the musical. Numbers THOUGH i was, wondering do you know if the actors in this movie sing their own parts in the musical numbers or are they sort of lip singing along to professional.
Speaker 1: Singers it is my, understanding and AGAIN i invite further education On bollywood by anyone out there, Listening but it's my understanding that it's almost it's usually not the actor doing the singing that that's added, Later AND i think that would make sense given that if you have if there's no real division between films and, musicals it just makes sense to do. That and of course this is not unprecedented In western musicals as. WELL i MEAN i think Of Oh, Brother We're Art, thou which is a tremendous, musical But George clooney is not doing his own singing in that.
Speaker 3: Film and it works great in both. CASES i, MEAN i, know sometimes for some reason people talk disparagingly about lip. SYNCING i think they talk about it like that when it's like a band is faking doing a live, performance just like full on trying to trick people that they're playing. Live but in a, movie, no there's no problem at.
Speaker 1: ALL i like. It, Yeah AND i imagine there Are bollywood films where at least some of the actors are doing their own. SINGING i, mean it makes, sense BUT i did not get a sense of that from looking at the credits for this. Movie all, Right so we Have suman Sing she's our. Heroine her, Father Thakhor singh is played by Pra Deep, kumar who live nineteen twenty five through two thousand and. One this Is suman's, father a loving but overly protective, fare but he's overly protected for reasons that go beyond the norm and get into the realm of, supernatural multi generational, curses as we'll. Discuss But Kumar hero is a Veteran indian actor with credits going back to the late nineteen. Forties apparently highly, regarded though largely lacking in like highly successful. Roles he often acted in period dramas and seems to have just always boasted a meticulously trimmed. Mustache just a, real, real gorgeous and stylish mustache on this.
Speaker 3: Man and it's a mustache of the thin, style WHICH i feel like is hard to pull, off but it looks good on.
Speaker 1: Him, yeah kind of like a swashbuckling Old hollywood kind of a. Mustache. Yeah all, Right so we have the, daughter we have the, father but now it's time to talk about the daughter's secret, Boyfriend, sanjay played By Manish, bell who was born in nineteen sixty. One he plays a low born, photographer but he's, handsome he's a good. Lad you, know he's our lover. Boy this was only his fifth, credit but he went on to act in more than one hundred.
Speaker 3: PICTURES i think it's interesting that they try to what seemed to me to like fit in a very standard forbidden love, dynamic even though it's only like a red. Herring so, like for the first bit of the, Movie suman And sanjay understand That suman's father disapproves of their relationship because she is a rich. Girl she's from a you, know a high class, family and he's middle. Class he's not rich like. Them so that seems like a very standard kind of romance. Obstacle but then there's a twist which is, like, oh, no actually he's opposed to their romance because there's a curse on the family and if you, know she gets, married she may one day have a, child and that means she will. Die, well actually she will turn into like a witch and then. Die, yeah but it seemed interesting that it's almost like they were trying to fit like a second like short romance movie into the beginning of this.
Speaker 1: Movie, well he lets viewers know where they. Stand it's kind of Like sons Of, anarchy, right you jump into Watching sons Of anarchy and it's, like, oh it's Like shakespeare. Bikers that doesn't really hold on to The shakespeare aspect of the. Thing for the most, PART i guess it comes back towards the, end but a little, bit but it's Still it gives you sort of an initial footing on which to proceed with the. Picture or in the case Of sons Of anarchy THE tv, series all, right we've got the, monster we've got the, father the, daughter the daughter's. Boyfriend now it's time for the boyfriend's best. Friend this is the Character anand played By Plunette isar born nineteen fifty. Nine, yeah he plays a best, friend martial arts and personal fitness. Enthusiast the actor here outside of, this is apparently well known In india for his role in The MAHABARAT tv show that ran eighty eight through nineteen. Ninety he Played duri, o'hanna eldest of the, caravas one of the two feuding houses in that. Epic he's also, written, directed and, produced and is especially known for his negative. Roles this is a TERMINOLOGY i was not familiar with UNTIL i started reading about Different bollywood. Actors but, apparently like when you talk about somebody being like a great villain or being great at villain, roles you talk about how they're great at playing negative, roles WHICH i thought was an interesting turn of phrase.
Speaker 3: There SO i Thought Punita sar was one of the highlights of the. Film, actually my favorite stuff about this movie is sort of like the, tall macho guys in. It SO i like the. VILLAIN i Love anon a Nod, Is so he's, yeah he's the main dude's best. Friend but in a, way it's a movie where the side the so called, sidekick actually does most of the. Heroism it's Like Big trouble In Little, china and every Time anon shows up to save the, day it is it's increasingly. Hilarious there's like an amazing scene Where sanjay is getting beaten up by twelve guys or you, know they're all were like these guys in fancy red footman's, uniforms these red, jackets and they're all ganging up On, sanjay and then suddenly A noond appears sort of over the top of a. Mountain he's, like comes up on this ridge overlooking the whole, scene and he's, like, oh my, friend and then charges down into the fracas to just slam, me just like beat beat all these guys, up which he can do pretty much single. Handedly he is the center of a number of martial arts scenes THAT i think are actually quite. Good and there's also a really funny scene where they have a they're on a road trip and they have a. Car they have a flat, tire and it's clear that they staged this just so a. Nod it could be, like, hey it's no problem that we don't have a, car, Jack i'll just lift the car while you fix the.
Speaker 1: Tire, yeah and he's, yeah he's he's he's basically the the the action star of the, film While sonjay is the romantic star of the. Film and Ann, yeah he's a lot of. Fun these martial arts sequences are. Cool he's got these really long, legs so he's one of these. Guys when he's throwing, kicks it's like he manages to kick around you and then kick you on the other side of your face kind of a. Thing and he's also able to somehow pull off the leather vest over a bare chest. Look he also wears a lot of FUN t, shirts but sometimes NO t, shirt just the.
Speaker 3: Vest in the scene where he intervenes to Save sanjay and beats all the guys, UP i think he's wearing a sleeveless polo shirt tucked into.
Speaker 1: Jeans somehow he makes it work all. Right, Now, anon his character has a, wife and the wife Is satna played by And i'm mostly sure on. This this character in this actor was not listed in some of the DATABASES i was looking, at so like not ON. IMDb i had to go to another. Database But Pretty Sapru walia born nineteen fifty, SEVEN i believe is the actor playing his. Wife she wishes he was a little less into martial arts and personal fitness and more into love, making which makes for at least one amusing sequence in the. Film you, know it's a fun. PERFORMANCE i think she has only a couple of scenes to really shine, in but she does. Shine oh, yeah she's.
Speaker 3: Good it's a real bummer when the Evil wizard throws her off the top of a.
Speaker 1: Building, yeah going, away it's, like you, know she's SHE'S i guess she was, dimmed you know from the, start like, this somebody's got to be killed by the. Monster we've got to, give you, know the certain plot elements have to be put in.
Speaker 3: Place the two main lovers go on a road trip with their two friends to go stop the Evil. Wizard what do you think is going to? Happen to the two.
Speaker 1: Friends, yeah, now do we have a creepy groundskeeper in the, Film, yeah we kind of have two of, them because we also have a, creepy creepy. Woodcutter the creepy Woodcutter i'll mention really quickly Is sanga played By Satish shah born nineteen fifty. One, basically he's just a scarred woodcutter who really would like a bit of that. Treasure but the main grounds keeper at the haunted mansion where everyone ends up is this Character durjon played By sadashev A'm rapokur who lived nineteen fifty through twenty. Fourteen there's something about his. Performance at FIRST i didn't pick up on, it but you, know it has kind of like a nice haunted. Vibe he has kind of haunted eyes and WHEN i looked him, up apparently he made a name for himself playing villains or negative ones or negative roles in various. Films in, FACT i saw a twenty Fourteen Indian express article that called him Quote bollywood's most memorable. Villain so oh.
Speaker 3: Interesting, yeah not a villain in this, though, no just.
Speaker 1: More of he's the, local that, is the haunted local who knows more about goings on than the main characters in the.
Speaker 3: Film at one, point he quite crucially hides a trident in a, chandelier AND i did not understand why he did, that but it comes in.
Speaker 1: Later he just knew that it would come in handy. Later somebody's going to need to drop this chandelier. Sometimes, yeah, SOMETIMES i guess it's just the film logic of the. Thing, now there are a lot of other actors in, this And i'm not going to go through all of them. HERE i will say that we do have a bandit character Name MACHAAR i, believe and he is played by this actor who went by the Moniker Jack. Deep this is An indian actor and comedian who appeared in more than four hundred, films INCLUDING i think some Various Ramsey brothers. Films this is our sort OF i don't, Know Benny hill esque misogynistic slapstick specialist that is brought in for at least, two maybe three long segments of the film that are concerned only with, comedy that do not really connect much at all with the rest of the film and are really difficult to.
Speaker 3: Watch. AGREED i had read in multiple commentaries that the comedy segments are by far the low point of the, film and they are for the most, part extremely, unpleasant not funny and just like a lot of jokes about sex.
Speaker 1: Crimes yeah, yeah so's it goes beyond, like, oh this is out of keeping with the main vibe of the. Picture is just like content, wise it's. Gross SO i would advise if you're just casually watching this, movie you, know feel free to get up and get a snack during the comedy. Segments don't necessarily bother reading the subtitles during these, segments and feel free to skip them all. Right, finally the music For piranha Mandir Ajit. SINGH i don't THINK i was able to find any dates for, him but he worked on Subsequent ramsey pictures as, well Including takana in eighty, Six Perani haveli in eighty, nine and a friendly yetty movie that came out in ninety one that looked pretty interesting as. Well but the music in this picture IS i guess at times IT'S i loved. It it's a little, abrasive like at times the synth come on really, strong BUT i still can't fault it too, Much like it definitely gets in there and it comes at you with its.
Speaker 3: Clause oh, YEAH i really liked a lot of the. Music there's one theme that really stuck in my head that was not especially complex, melodically but it was just like a real rubbery synth tone as the characters were like exploring a secret passageway AND i was grooving on it really.
Speaker 1: Hard samri has a pretty strong theme as well THAT i Think Omar, KHAN i think it Was Omar khan compared it to the main theme from The Omen not but it's directly that or reuse of, that but maybe has hit similar notes of that.
Speaker 3: Score all, right so you wanted to talk about the plot, now, yeah let's do.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: Okay so one thing is we absolutely cannot do the kind of granular commentary we do with some, movies especially like seventy minute drive in movie or this episode would be six hours. Long AND i want to say this is not only because this is the longest movie we've ever. Done i'd also, ARGUE i wonder if you'd agree with, this that it's in the running for the densest movie we've, done meaning that the amount of plot or stuff happening per minute of run time is unusually.
Speaker 1: High, Yeah, yeah everybody gets their stuff in on this, film and again it's it's having to deliver all of the various. Spices so, yeah there's a there's a lot that happens in this, movie and to just cover every bit of it we just wouldn't have time. For and certainly we're going to skip over stuff like the comedic, segments which you, know the less said the.
Speaker 3: Better, Okay first of, ALL i like a film that begins by showing you its. Papers the first thing we see here is a is a scan of the certificate from The Central board Of Film certification of The indian. Government seem to recall seeing similar paperwork at the beginning of Like british movies from the, thirties like those Old Alfred hitchcock movies that show you the certificate from The British board Of Film. Censors, YEAH i.
Speaker 1: AGREE i really like this and makes it feel kind of like more like a cultural, artifact you. Know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Yeah so the narration begins two hundred years. Ago Bijapor sultanate was ruled By Raja Hariman. Singh in those, days the fear of ghosts and demons prevailed in the hearts of. People the most feared demon of all was Called. Somri and as they mentioned these different, people we see like painted portraits of. Them samri's portrait has a kind of purple, glow so he is emitting rays of evil magic even in painted. Likeness the action begins with a historical flashback Where Hariman singh is traveling with his Daughter rupali and his retainers when his chariot breaks. Down, unfortunately it breaks down in the middle Of somri's, land and even worse than, that his daughter wanders away while the carriage is being fixed and fearing for her, life The rajah sends his men out looking for. Her they, are of course attacked and picked off by the Evil. Sorcerer AND i just want to say this. Again one THING i noticed immediately about the opening segment is the extremely high energy editing and pacing of each. Shot so the cuts between shots are, frequent and the action in each shot develops very, quickly so it's this kind of near frantic pace for the first couple of. Minutes but it's not just, fast it's also, loud full of like screaming and blasts of, music like slamming the audio into the Red it's just a. Lot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah i've Seen Sam Raimi's Evil dead for maybe one mentioned as an influence on The Ramsey brothers as well as the films Of Wes, Craven SO i don't, know maybe we see a little bit of those influences in this editing.
Speaker 3: Style it's not going to keep up at quite this pace and level of intensity for the rest of the, movie but, overall, uh for this, film The Ramsey brothers do stick to a pretty fast moving and intense editing. Style it always feels. Energetic things are always happening really. Quickly there's not a lot of establishing or waiting. Around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah and you don't have to wait to see Samri he's. There he's going to disappear for a while for reasons that will that makes, Sense but, yeah he's there from the get, go and you get to you get a good look at, him and and, boy it's he's just a great sight to take.
Speaker 3: In AS i said, earlier strong evocations of rock. Stardom he's like he is singing devil. Music but, Okay samary is running. Around he kills all Of Harry Mun singh's, men and then he vamps Through. Polly Harry Mun singh's. Daughter how are we supposed to understand what happened to? HER i don't know, Exactly like he leans over her as if he's biting, her and then there's blood on her face and her eyes look. Different there's sort of like her eyes have turned, white as if she's in a kind of magical.
Speaker 1: Trance one THING i loved About somre just throughout the picture IS i never really know what the rules are with. Him he's just overpoweringly, evil like he, yeah he can drink your, blood but it's just he just looks at. You if you just think about him too, much you may just lose your. Soul and then in terms of like what he, is, yeah there's the Basic gahara rises from the tomb undead sorcerer aspect of the whole. Thing but, like especially when he starts showing up, LATER i, mean he already has things at this, point and then later on in the, movie his body becomes even more monstrous in ways that don't line up with just pure like decay and, Resurrection like his body becomes just increasingly like just materially.
Speaker 3: Evil, yeah his later form is Part, frankenstein part decaying, zombie and part pro.
Speaker 1: Wrestler, yeah with like some bigfoot thrown in.
Speaker 3: There yeah, yeah. Yeah, Anyway Harry munsingh comes back with his full forces and they capture the. Demon they capture, summary taming him with holy things like there is a priest chasing him with a, trisula the trident Of, shiva and there is an altar with a statue Of, shiva et. Cetera and he's ultimately held in. Chains they stand him up for a kind of trial while the accusations against him are read before the. Crowd, basically he did everything. Bad he did, murder, rape, cannibalism all of, it all in service of his, evil demonic.
Speaker 1: MASTERS i liked how the priest is reading these charges out and finally stumbles a, bit reading the charge of digging up graves and eating.
Speaker 3: Corpses that doesn't seem like the worst of, them.
Speaker 1: No but at that point he's this is too. Far we're not used to this. One we don't even have this one on the. Books i'm not sure this is technically. Illegal it's just bad. Manners.
Speaker 3: Now there was a cultural and language question here that interested. Me in The english subtitles of this, scene it says That samri is accused of using His satanic powers to create terror among the. People it says that he slaked His satanic thirst by drinking the blood of, children and it says he is so vile that Even satan would shun. Him so given The hindu context, here and it seems very much in A hindu, context like there are other scenes where you, know there are, temples the temples Of, shiva people offering prayers To shiva in order to help. THEM i kind of wonder whether they actually Said satanic And satan in these. SCENES i guess they could, have BECAUSE i kept hearing a word in the audio that sounded like. Shatan SO i was just, curious what's going on, Here like what is the most direct translation of what they're. Saying, because of, course in the context of like A christian culture horror, movie it's very, normal like the evil sorcerer is understood to get his powers From satan or some kind of demonic. Force in The hindu, context where does the evil sorcerer's, power where's it understood to come?
Speaker 1: From, YEAH i had the same thought. HERE i, thought, well maybe they're just referring to mentions Of satan And western, films which would have obviously been an influence, here and THEN i was, thinking, well maybe it's there's An arabic loanword at play. HERE i looked up to some basic stuff in. Translation, AGAIN i do not know What i'm doing with The hindi language at, all but it does seem like we do have this term, chatan which means, devil, satan, freaks, beasts or. Demons SO i guess that's what we're talking about. Here.
Speaker 3: Interesting, okay, again The hindi speaking listeners please write in let us know.
Speaker 1: At any, rate he's done all the bad things and something's got to be done about.
Speaker 3: It, Right So Harryman sing's advisors all they argue about the best way to punish this evil. Sorcerer the priest, says you, know why don't we burn him to, ashes that'll purify him with. Flame Harryman singh, Says, No i've got a better. Idea we're gonna cut his head off and keep it in a different building than his, body and that way we'll know that his head and body can never possibly be. Reunited there you.
Speaker 1: Go sounds like a winning.
Speaker 3: Plan and then the holy man suggests using the trident the trisula to guard his. HEAD i think they're gonna like lay it over the top of the. Box okay, again sounds sounds. Good that's a good way to secure. It then the prologue. Ends suddenly lightning strikes and there are more. Credits after these, credits we get the story picks, up but it's still in the historical, prologue and we see them Leading samri off to his, fate and then they're sort of leading him in procession and, chains and then he stops to rage at everyone like he rages At Harryman, singh and he issues a curse upon his, household which is he says that all of his female heirs will die in childbirth Until samri's head and body are joined. Again note that in the scene they haven't been separated. Yet, also he, says on the day that his head and body are joined, again that will be the end Of Hariman singh's. DYNASTY i guess meeting he will destroy them. All then they do. It they cut his head off and they bury the body in the ruins of a. Temple they say It's Shunkar's polygot, temple and they take his head to throw it in a trunk wrapped with. Chains and then they hide that in the dungeon of The raja's, palace and then they of course put The trishula as she was wholly, trident on top of the trunk and they wall it up Like.
Speaker 1: Fortunado all in, all a pretty great historical prologue that then leads us into modern Day aka in an early Eighties.
Speaker 3: Bombay, Right so we meet our modern day. Characters there Is Takur ranbier. Sing he is the descendant of The raja from the, prologue so the curse has passed down through his. Family he's a rich. Man he loves his, family but he is preoccupied with fears about the ancestral. Curse there Is ranbier's, Daughter, suman who is a college. Student she's got a kind of sunny, disposition and her father laments her growing up because that means that she may marry and try to have children and then the curse Of samri will kill. Her then there Is suman's Boyfriend. Sanjay, again he is not, rich but he is handsome and, brave loyal and. Scrappy and then there Is sanjay's Friend anand who this is a buff guy who cuts the sleeves off of all of his, shirts not all of.
Speaker 1: Them he's got some. Sleeves some slaves are, kept but most of them they just get in the.
Speaker 3: Way so we See suman And sanjay being in. Love they go out on dates they, like go to a pool, party they go out to a night club where there's a dancer dres And, Gold and here we get our first musical.
Speaker 1: Number, yeah this is kind of a cabaret. Number the dancer Is Lena das and it's a pretty Fun indian disco type musical. PERFORMANCE i GUESS i really enjoyed. IT i turned the volume up a little bit on this.
Speaker 3: ONE i was thinking though about this night club. Here it's a strange mix of inside it seems cool but also. CLAUSTROPHOBIC i think maybe the claustrophobic aspect comes from like the solid black walls and what felt like a sort of low. Ceiling but it's got these cool like red bench seats and then posters on the wall for movies and, stuff like there's a poster For superman up on the.
Speaker 1: Walls yeah, Yeah and we also we get a little bit Of sonjay is looking at the dancer maybe a little bit too, much And suman is so it was a little bit. Jealous this is a recurring. Motif, yes whole songs will be sung about this later.
Speaker 3: On So suman And sonjay are in, love But suman has to lie to her father about where she's going when she heads out on dates with. Him, however her father finds out Ron beer is not, pleased and he forbids her to See sanjay. Again but of course she's in. Love there's no stopping, her so she's not going to just leave her boyfriend. Hanging and so this is an ongoing conflict at the beginning of the. Movie and, again AS i mentioned, earlier there's a misunderstanding about the reason her father forbids the. Romance she and like the young people think it is a class, thing that she's rich and he's. Not actually it's a demonic curse, thing but they don't know that.
Speaker 1: Yet, yeah he won't tell her about, that he's keeping that. Secret, instead he just says things, like, hey our family name is not so deluded that our blood can just flow directly into the gutter and things like, that and of course that just pushes her further. Away he won't tell her the real demonic curse rationale that is behind his.
Speaker 3: Fear but then we get like a love song on a beach or it's on rocks near the, shore Where sanjay is singing about his love For. Suman, yeah and it's, nice you, Know it's like just a nice music video. Break somewhere in here we get the first martial arts, scene and this is with Uh. Okay so the basic situation is Ron bier. Again he Forbids sanjay And suman to, date but then he catches them. Together so he sends his, men who are all dressed up in these cool red, jackets to beat Up sanjay and then on on to like comes over the mountain. Top it comes over like a ridge looking down on them and runs into the. Rescue and then together they beat up all of the all of the bad. GUYS i guess they're not bad. GUYS i don't. Know the guy's working for her.
Speaker 1: Dad they're Just dad's goon squad that's to beat Up.
Speaker 3: Sanjay but we see a lot of signs Of Ron beer's, worries like he has a freak out dream sequence with a giant beast sammary. Head and this is where we start getting signs of What samri will look. Like his in his sort of undead, form which is again less rock star and more kind OF i don't, yeah like, bigfoot pro wrestler.
Speaker 1: Zombie, yeah just seething in, darkness just these great, eyes just in this pronounced. Brow it's just a tremendous. Look AND i can just imagine moviegoers screaming when they see this on the.
Speaker 3: Screen but eventually the curse is revealed To suman And, sanjay and they have a bunch more you, know back and forth about how Ron beard disapproves of, them but, eventually like there's one scene where he's repeatedly getting a gun off the, wall but eventually he breaks down and confesses to them what's really going. On he explains the, curse and there are, exchanges like one that was funny was he's, like you, know it's a, secret and they say what's the secret and he, says it's ONE i can't, reveal and they're, like but you must reveal. It but then when he, does it's. Horrifying there's a horrifying flashback to When ronbier reveals that After suman was, born her mother was transformed into some kind of devil creature with these long. Fingernails these claws and like barnicle on her face and then she.
Speaker 1: Died, yeah there's. Nothing it turns out there's nothing ambiguous about. IT i thought they were more setting up a situation where it's, like, oh you're you know you're your mom died in childbirth and there is this ancient curse. Thing SO i put one and two. Together, no, no, no she like straight up practically explodes in some sort of like just, awful you, know cursed flesh type of. Death and it's it's it's a lot to, Watch.
Speaker 3: Like all the doctors and nurses run out of the. Room there's no.
Speaker 1: End it's they're, like it's out of our. Hands this is straight up wizardry going on in.
Speaker 3: Here so Ron bier explains To, sanjay you, know if you really Love, suman you will leave her, alone, Right and So sanjay does because he really does love. Her but then very next scene it cuts straight To anon is lounging on a bed or. Something he's wearing a sweatshirt and he, says so you left, her you lose. Her what'll she think of? You? Now should we do a sidebar On anon's? Shirts he wears a lot of interesting, shirts some of them Have english riding on them and interesting logos and pictures and. Stuff he wears one shirt that just says, styles and he wears another shirt that Says Golden. Rule he who has the gold makes the.
Speaker 1: RULES hm very cool and it's.
Speaker 3: Weird Because anon in many ways does have a heart of, gold as we will. See but also he IS i don't, know he is. Indifferent scenes shown to be vain and highly covetous of, money even doing very shady criminal things to get.
Speaker 1: Money, yeah though those occur either within or within close proximity to the comedic, segments And i'm never sure how much of THAT i should actually pay attention, To like does that? Count is that real a noon or is, that like some a different version of a non just for the comedic segments of the. MOVIE i don't.
Speaker 3: Know well, Anyway suman shows up and she's got a better idea Than sanjay just leaving. Her she Convinces sanjay that they should break the. Curse, hey great. Idea so it's now a road trip To, bijapur driving down the highway in a red. Convertible the road trip buddies are the four of, Them, Suman, Sanjay annan and his Wife.
Speaker 1: Sapna so at this point it's kind of A Scooby doo road trip kind.
Speaker 3: Of a, movie which, is, yeah and all you know on the, trip we See anon is such a good. Friend sanjay is, like why would you risk your life to help? Us And, ANON i, think threatens to beat him up for saying. This he's, Like, hey what are friends. FOR a friend has to help you break the curse on your, family even if that means laying down his own. Life, Yeah, meanwhile this is. Funny sapna is happy to come along because she is confident that the curse is Just suman's father having a. Delusion SO i guess it's just a regular road trip.
Speaker 1: For, Her, yeah just to get out of. Town this married.
Speaker 3: Couple they have extremely different ideas of the stakes of this this road. Trip.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's, LIKE i am ready to die and she's, LIKE i am ready to see the. Countryside.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Meanwhile ron be are back at. Home he has visions of Samary as in his kind of altered beast form and has a heart. Attack he, survives but the doctors say he must, rest AND i think they use this to explain why he doesn't chase after the youths to stop them on their. Quest, yeah but then we go into a part of the movie where basically the four friends are investigating the different. Settings so they go to an old. Temple they noticed that the statue in the, temple WHICH i believe is Of shiva or maybe Of shivshankar maybe they say, later is missing its. Trident and then you, know so they look around, there they have some visions of scary. Things they drive around and just have encounters with scary, people like they meet a woodcutter who just freaks them out by smiling at them and holding an. Axe and then finally they reach the palace and they explore that and Meet dirjan the, watchman who shows them around and tells them sort of family, history and they start having repeated freaky reactions to portraits OR i guess mainly it's Just suman that. Does like she sees a portrait of her ancestor and it zooms in on her eyes and it's knowing whoa, whoa whoa.
Speaker 1: Whoah is this the scene where the eyes follow? Her and they do it by having clearly two separate, paintings one with eyes looking straight ahead and one with eyes looking off to the.
Speaker 3: Side, YEAH i loved. IT i really like these scenes.
Speaker 1: Because we know the viewer knows that behind that, painting behind the bricked up wall is going to be the head Of, samary sealed up in a box With trishula leaned against it to keep it from coming out and wreaking.
Speaker 3: Havoc the next, day there's a funny scene Where sopna is annoyed Because anon won't stop doing workouts and martial, Arts like she's doing one handed push ups and practicing martial, arts and she's just, Like, wow really really great romantic vacation you took me.
Speaker 1: On, yeah this is a fun sequence, though because then she kind of has this where she fantasizes about him being more into romance and less into personal, fitness which WHICH i thought was pretty.
Speaker 3: Fun then oh, my here things start taking a left. Turn, well, first a bunch of guys from the forest Attacks sopna from out of, nowhere and Then anon gets to come to the rescue and beat them all. Up and then we go and meet this bandit commander WHO'S i think giving the guys in the forest. Orders it starts with a lot of over the top slapstick comedy and then descends into this rivalry between the bandit and a local official in the. Village this is the barely related comedic side plot that we were discussing, earlier and to be, frank as many reviewers have, MENTIONED i found it extremely. Unpleasant i'm not going to make much effort to recount. It but it's a lot of jokes about like a guy not having arms and another guy who does sex.
Speaker 1: Crimes, yeah that's basically. It and they just keep driving home these plot points and and it's it's very. SKIPPABLE i highly recommend you skip it if you watch this. Movie but but it. Is it really throws you off when you first hit it because when the bandit's men show, up they have like like dime Store halloween mask on the back of their, head and you're just, like, what what what is? Happening DID i switch channels? Somehow this is an error on the. Disk, no you've just you've just descended into the comedic. Subplot but don't. Worry you will eventually rise out of. It but then you're gonna fall into it at least one more, time and then you'll fall out of it again without anything in the comedic plot ever really impacting THE a plot or getting.
Speaker 3: Resolved, YEAH i mean there's a little bit of, interaction like it does develop to where the bandit and A noon have a have a twoco and blondie plot From The, good The, bad and The, ugly where LIKE A noon repeatedly turns the bandit in for a bounty and then freeze him before, execution and then does it again to keep collecting.
Speaker 1: Money, yeah and then the whole time you're just like a non stay out of this. Subplot you don't need to be, here just stay In PLOT a with the rest of.
Speaker 3: Us so in this middle, section we get some some delivery of lore from The Watchman dirgent at the. Palace he tells some backstory about the connection between the palace and the. Temple. Uh there are also sections here where it seems like maybe the heroes kind of lose track of what the road trip was, For like instead of furiously hunting down the body of the Evil, sorcerer Like sanjay is fishing for food And suman is doing like a couple's photoshoot Of anan And.
Speaker 1: Sopna mm. Hmm, yeah it's like there's a. Curse there's a deadline, here. Guys we gotta stay on.
Speaker 3: This. Oh but in this, scene it starts with a thing where there's a woman in the, water and at FIRST i, thought, oh is she a? Mermaid but she's like biting fish with her teeth and then trying to give them To sanjay uh AND i And suman gets jealous of this woman because she clearly is Into sanjay and she's like a beautiful local.
Speaker 1: WOMAN i, guess, yeah beautiful local woman that MAYBE i think maybe we're supposed to assume that she's kind of a bad, girl definitely a threat to their, romance but ultimately we're gonna find out she has a heart of, gold even if she's kind of like doomed to. Die like like like other characters in the, film.
Speaker 3: General spooky dou ins are. Afoot There's suman has more freak outs when looking at the. Portraits and then there is the blood shower.
Speaker 1: Scene, YES i love this because first of, all it's the middle of the night time to take a, shower But suman also is gonna take that shower in a, swimsuit and you just know the way that the camera's zooming in on the shower. Head i'm like that that water's turned into. Blood there's no way that water's not turned into, blood and of course the water turns to.
Speaker 3: BLOOD i knew exactly what was, coming but it's it's a pretty fun scene. Nonetheless so, yeah she's like then in the, tub, screaming covered in blood in the, swimsuit and Then annan And sanjay run into the rescue and they like lift her out of the blood tub by her arms and legs and then put her directly on the. Bed AND i was, thinking.
Speaker 1: Oh, no you're getting blood all over the. Blanket that's a white, blanket. Y'all come.
Speaker 3: On but Then dirgen comes in to explain that the blood tub incident proves the curse is. Real you, know you've got to take it seriously, now AND i think he, says you've got to talk to the locals to find out more about the. Curse and then.
Speaker 1: Intermission, yeah so setting up, basically like if the story game Of Arkham harr or, something the research portion of the adventure where you just got to go around talking to people and find out how the ancient evil.
Speaker 3: Works so that comes into play right after the, intermission but it leads to a lover's quarrel Between suman And. Sanjay Because sanjay goes to talk to one of the local villagers and who does he pick to talk, To, well it just happens to be what's her Name, beaeshley the beautiful woman who was bathing in the river, earlier and she's bathing in the river, again and he's, like, HEY i need, to you, know talk to you about a. Curse and she's, Like, SANJAY i love, you marry.
Speaker 1: Me he dead knows no his way. Around you're supposed to go talk to the haunted drunk, guy old drunk guy in The he's the one who has the secret knowledge to. Share but now he goes to the attractive lady from the water that is also offering him.
Speaker 3: Drinks, yeah so she takes him back to her, house gives him some kind of alcoholic, beverage and then he watches her dance in front of a. Fire he's clearly being romantically. Tempted suman is jealous and, heartbroken and she sings there's another musical. Number she sings a forlorn. SONG i was, wondering did you detect this? Song maybe cutting off before the song was finished OR i don't. Know it seemed like something was. Missing it ended rather.
Speaker 1: ABRUPTLY i didn't notice That i'd have to go back in the.
Speaker 3: Look Maybe i'm, Wrong but, anyway After sanjay finds out some more lore from the, villagers he returns To suman and they.
Speaker 1: Reconcile their love is tested but remains. Strong.
Speaker 3: Yes, now later that, Night suman is sleeping and then there's a cat, scare like literally somebody throws a cat at, her just jumps on her, bed and she like screams and wakes, up and she's in a kind of, oh kind of a, day is wandering around and then she ends up stabbing the portrait Of Hariman singh that's on the. Wall and after, This anon realizes he looks up at the wall and realizes she stabbed through the wall behind the portrait as. Well and Then anon And sanjay bust down the. Wall they investigate the secret passageway. Within this is the scene WHERE i mentioned there's some really cool kind of rubbery synth. Music there's some cool bits Like anon gets a snake attack to the. NECK a snake wraps itself around his neck and they have to fight it. Off but then they find the. Trishula they find the trident Of shiva on top of the trunk wrapped in. Chains they bust it. Open inside they find the severed, head And sanjay concludes that it must be the head of some brave soldier and it must be there out of.
Speaker 1: Respect, Oh sanjay couldn't be more.
Speaker 3: Wrong bad. Decision, yeah but then there's, like so the woodcutter from earlier is looking on and he decides he sees the box and he thinks it's full of treasure and he wants, treasure so he comes back in the middle of the night to get, treasure and instead the head hypnotizes him and turns his eyes into ping pong balls and makes him attack.
Speaker 1: People the ping pong pong eyes were pretty, hilarious AND i don't think they were meant to be. Hilarious but they're also out of keeping with what they did with other people's possessed, Eyes like they did some sort of like contact, EFFECT i guess with everyone, else but this guy got ping pong. Eyes, yeah and it's a questionable.
Speaker 3: Choice Like rupauli's eyes were creepy, looking they like they turned, white but they were you, know, yeah so those were. Different he just has like they're like bulging and they look like.
Speaker 1: Plastic, yeah they're, like we couldn't get a hold of our contact guy for. Today what else we? Got what's the backup? Effect it's ping pong.
Speaker 3: Balls this leads to a great chase scene THAT i. Loved so it's The it's like a horse drawn carriage with driven by the woodcutter carrying the wizard head in the carr, bridge riding through the forest at, night and Then sanjay in an ond in a red convertible chasing after. It so it's machine versus.
Speaker 1: Horse it's. Great but then they are also supernatural environmental effects that come into play as.
Speaker 3: Well that's all, Right so like The sorcerer's HEAD i think causes a tree to fall down and block their path as they pursue the, head so they can't keep up with. It, meanwhile something happens in here Where dershan hangs the trisula up on the. Chandelier, yeah unsure.
Speaker 1: Why he's kind of, LIKE i got to hide this away for later so that it can play a dynamic role in the showdown or. Something, yeah so the only logic that makes.
Speaker 3: Sense so the hypnotized woodcutter like digs Up samri's. BODY i guess he knows where it is because the head has hypnotized. Him then he grabs the, head he puts the head on the. Body he pokes himself with a dagger and bleeds on the neck, stump and this kind of glues the head back on and Then samar wakes up and now it's it's clober and.
Speaker 1: Time that's, right it is. On body and head are back together. Again his. Body at this, point LIKE i alluded to, earlier it's the evil is just completely. Manifest it's it's now this hairy demonic Sasquatch frankenstein creature that that ultimately really. Works like if the Way i'm describing it makes it sound like it's kind of patchwork and and maybe you, know can't decide what it wants to, be but, no whatever it is it, is it totally succeeds as being. That it's just. This this is evil.
Speaker 3: Incarnate samri is wickedness and Malevol i'd say he's. Bad, hey, everybody we just had to take a quick, break but we we're back. Now so if we sound, different that's. Why but we're finishing the. Episode so uh, yeah the plot is kind of in monster mode right. Now this is when The frankenstein starts shambling, around, grunting looming and killing.
Speaker 1: People, Yeah samri has, returned has full body, again has great lights and effects And scynth backing him. Up so it's just terrifying anytime he's on the. Screen he's not interested in reasoning with anybody or. Negotiating he is here to in. Dynasties he doesn't care what has happened in the world over the past few. Centuries he has a pretty straightforward. Agenda, OH i didn't even think about.
Speaker 3: That, like he hasn't been, around so he doesn't know about the moon landing or. Anything, okay so, yeah he's killing. People, unfortunately he Makes sopna jump off the roof of the palace to her. Death. BUMMER i Like. Sopna and Then anon is obviously very upset about, this so he like runs up to the roof of the palace to fight, him But samri is. Gone and from here there is a blood sacrifice. Subplot the villagers decide they want to do a human sacrifice Of sanjay And suman in order to appease the monster and save, themselves and here we get a human sacrifice musical, number WHICH i liked quite a.
Speaker 1: Lot, yeah this one is. GOOD i believe they're looking to sacrifice To klie and it looks it looks like our heroes might be might be doomed once. More but someone comes to save him right in the naked, time.
Speaker 3: Right so they're like tied up awaiting, death and you, know the drums kick, in and then suddenly here's this lady from. Earlier the one is her Name, BEACHLEY i think the one who was in love With, sanjay like he went to her house, earlier and she's dancing around singing this very, jolly upbeat song about how the man she loved is unfortunately going to have his blood spilled and she doesn't want. That and then there's a string of. Reversals so first of, all she comes to save the day because she Cuts sonjay free and says she loves him and tries to let him, free but then he gets caught by the. Mob but then her, brother who is sort of the guy leading the, mob says that he will still Kill suman Unless sanjay beats him in a sword. Fight and then they get out. There they're fencing swords and they fence for a. Bit the sword fight is, okay it's not really on the level Of an's martial arts. Scenes and then at the end of the sword, Fight sanjay sort of, wins but the brother tries to throw a dagger At sanjay's back to kill, him but yet, again the sister who Loves sanjay. Intervenes she steps in front of the dagger and takes it for him and.
Speaker 1: Dies oh, no, yeah bad girl with a good. Heart redeems herself through. DEATH i also like that the sword, fight like you, say is very different from anything we've seen in the film up to that, point and it feels, like once, again this is the little something for everybody going on where it's like we need to have a traditional swashbuckling act in the picture and this is the place to situate. It, yeah it makes.
Speaker 3: Sense so, Anyway sanjay And suman run, away the mob searches after. Them you, know there's kind of a lot of running around and hiding and chasing in the, woods and then here comes another a noon. Fight he is a nod is captured by the leader of the mob and then there's some fighting and on lets out some really weird martial arts moves in this, Fight like there's one WHERE i think he steps on a guy's. Head it's kind of.
Speaker 1: Gross, well he's just completely powered up with vengeance at this, point like he's more lethal than.
Speaker 3: Ever, right and so he's, yeah he's angered by the death of his. Wife he is motivated by defending his, friends so he's fighting super hard and there's a really awesome moment where the leader of the mob tries to stab him with a, dagger But anon grabs the dagger by the blade and disarms. Him.
Speaker 1: Excellent he just cannot be stopped at this.
Speaker 3: Point but, unfortunately even Though anon prevails in this, fight there is immediately more. Peril So sanjay And suman are chased in the Dark bysomri the, demon And anon comes to rescue. Them he ends up giving his life so that they can, escape just like he said he would. Earlier so a true friend to the. End samary kind of strangles, HIM i, think and then his eyes turn.
Speaker 1: White so now it's just our two lovers pursued by the Demon.
Speaker 3: Somri but an earlier character, returns So suman's dad is back on the scene and he shows. Up he's like a better from my heart. Attack now there is only one person who can Beat. Samri and that Is Lord. Shiva so cut to another musical. Number Now Ron deier is singing to an altar Of shiva OR i think they were also calling this God Shiv, shankar Which i'm not, sure but maybe like a manifestation Of, shiva maybe Like shiva the destroyer of. Evil, Perhaps i'm not.
Speaker 1: Sure at any, rate this seems like the bright call Get shiva and on this that then we're dealing with a pretty, powerful supernatural evil force. Here we're going to need just a little.
Speaker 3: Bit of, help, right praying for The god's, help and we get cutaways to the surviving, characters but then also cutaways to like a bloody sheet which is presumably covering up the dead body of An. Ond.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah AND i have to, say on paper or just us describing, this you might question whether it makes sense to throw in a religious musical number this late in the, film building up to the final showdown with the. Monster BUT i thought it it would. WORK i thought it really worked because the musical number itself has this way of kind of revving up and has this kind of rhythmic quality to it kind of works the people in the scene into a, frenzy you, know to unleash our would be monster, slayers and you feel a little pumped. Up you're, like let's do, this let's finish this, Up let's let's Get.
Speaker 3: Somri, ABSOLUTELY i mean AS i said, AGAIN i mean this. UNIRONICALLY i fully encourage more filmmakers to make horror movies that are seriously scary but also have musical. NUMBERS i think that's a great.
Speaker 1: Idea, also it's probably a good way to overpower some of our Traditional western movie villains Like Jason. Vorhees how's he going to react to full blown musical. Numbers he's not gonna know it's. Him this is better than like psychic. POWERS i would love.
Speaker 3: That, yeah fully like a religion musical number before somebody goes up Against, jason where they're they're like invoking the power Of.
Speaker 1: Christ you. Know we had something kind of similar without the music In The Devil rides Out. Right they basically have A sunday school lesson before the big, confrontation just to set everything.
Speaker 3: Right we should mention by the way that the lyrics of the song point out the like remind the audience that the statue Of shiva is missing its. Trident. Uh and this Gives sanjay the idea that the way to destroy the monster is to use the, trisula which is which again was. Hidden it was in the hidden passage behind the painting on top of the trunk that had the head in. It and So sanjay And suman go looking for the. Trident so there's a bunch of more. Scares they're like looking around in the palace and they are screamed at by taxidermied, animals and samm. Reappears he chases them. Around he is about to in the in the very last, moment hipn ties and Vamp. Souman but Then sanjay sees that the trishula is hidden in the chandelier and he wields. It he Drives samri into his coffin and they trap him inside with the power of the. Trident and then the villagers come collect the, coffin take it to the village. Square then they Tie samary to the steak and burn him huge burning fire and the demon is.
Speaker 1: Vanquished, yeah they just they burn him, up And dad's there pumping his fist in the. Air the monster. Burns.
Speaker 3: Yeah in the, End ronvier Accepts sanjay because now the threat to his daughter's life has has. Passed so he, Says i'm proud of, you, son you destroyed the curse that haunted my family for two hundred. Years and then this is one of those cases where he says something that he just said again but In, english so he says In, English i'm really proud of, you my.
Speaker 1: Son it's such a it's not such a sweet, ending you. Know, granted a lot of people died to get us, here but it's getting back into like just the straight thing family melodrama aspect of. It it's a nice place to end.
Speaker 3: Things, yeah So sonjay And, suman we see them, married and then it ends very. ABRUPTLY i was kind of thinking there would be an ending music, number you, know but there was, not or AM i remembering?
Speaker 1: Right was?
Speaker 3: THERE i don't think there.
Speaker 1: WAS i don't think there was a full on musical number to end it. Out it was just kind of like we end on more of a traditional note where good is victorious and they kind of get a nice snapshot of everyone together and then we close it.
Speaker 3: Out so all in, ALL i greatly Enjoyed Piranhamunder. AGAIN a great love, story great evil, wizard good family melodrama and. Stuff love the musical, numbers comedy segments, awful martial arts.
Speaker 1: Awesome, yeah and then of course the monster is. Amazing so all in, ALL i feel like this was a pretty solid entry Into bollywood. Horror so who. Knows you have to do some more. Research maybe at some point in the future we'll come back and do Another Ramsey brothers. Film there's also From blinking on his name at the, moment but there was another like top tier competitor to them that put out a number of movies as, well and some of those looked, Interesting so who. Knows it's either. Way i'm glad we got to dive in to the cinema Of india here On Weird House. Cinema and once, again if you want to get into into some of, THIS i have to point out there's An instagram account For bollywood crypt and that was one of the first PLACES i started looking. AROUND i found that, account AND i was seeing what this account was sharing related To bollywood horror and kind of getting a taste for what seemed to be. Important and then from THERE i found out about this awesome blu ray set that's out From Mondo. MACABRO i recommend checking that. Out and if you're In, atlanta LIKE i, said you can go To Video drom and rent some of these bad. Boys they just got them on the. Shelf all, Right we're going to close the book, here but we'd love to hear from you out there. Again if you have experience With bollywood cinema in, General bollywood horror, specifically or you know particular memories or things to share About Piranha, mandir let us know we would love to hear from. You in the, meantime we'll also remind you That stuff To Blow Your mind is primarily a science podcast with core episodes On tuesdays And. Thursdays On mondays we do listener. Mail On wednesdays we do short form artifactor or monster fact, episode and On fridays we set aside most serious concerns to just talk about a weird film On Weird House. Cinema you can look us up on letterbox BEST L E T T E r boxd dot. Com we have an account there called Weird, house and we have a nice list of all the movies we've covered over the. Years you can pull them up and you can also organize them. Anyway this is HOW i was able to really quickly see, like what is the longest film we've ever covered and what is the? Shortest without a, Doubt Piranha mandir is the, longest but only beats Out blade by twenty.
Speaker 3: Minutes all, right huge thanks to our excellent audio PRODUCER Jj. Posway if you would like to get in touch with us with feedback on this episode or any, other to suggest a topic for the, future or just to say, hello you can email us at contact at stuff To blow Your mind dot.
Speaker 2: Com stuff To Blow Your mind is production Of. iHeartRadio for more podcasts from my Heart, radio visit The iHeartRadio, App Apple, podcasts or wherever you listen to your favorite. Shows