Speaker 1: Curiously because I know you're such a fan. What's your favorite ride at Disney at Disneyland, Yeah, at Land or World anything Disney, Like, what's your jam?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, really, I don't go on adult rides that much anymore because I've got Monroe with me, and I really love this summary of Finding Nemo. It's like, first of all, I stay cool in there, nice, and I just think it's so cute. And Monroe's like in the little circle just like and she rides it almost every single time and still is amazed by this ride. Her new one, her new one. I love that it's her, not me always. Her new one is Autotopia because she really thinks that she's driving her car, Like really she's in that Wait.
Speaker 3: A second, I'm sorry, you're you're you're ruining this for me.
Speaker 1: I'm not actually driving the car when I'm at Autotopia.
Speaker 2: Well you are, okay, but like the track what I mean? So I have to like sort of very quietly and like not let her know that I'm like helping her with the wheel because otherwise we're like bang bang, like just right left right left right left against that track.
Speaker 1: Well, did you ever try to get to pop it off the track. When you were younger driving at Autotopia, did you ever have that moment of you slam back and forth to try to actually pop it off the track?
Speaker 2: Why? No, I did.
Speaker 1: Yes, you gotta get's like you crack. You go back and forth, and occasional you'll have somebody come out to you.
Speaker 3: And be like you got it. You gotta see you gotta sum down. Well, yeah, comment down, calm it down.
Speaker 1: I had not been to Disneyland in a while, and I just went on that Star Wars ride where you end up in like the the enemy base, okay, and there's eighty eighties everywhere, like full size walkers around, and that was insane, like the Rise of the Resistance, Okay.
Speaker 2: I don't know the difference between the two of them, to be honest. There's twoo of them.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: One of them takes place in the Millennium Falcon and I would throw up all over everybody, And the other one is like an actual ride where it's not motion simulator.
Speaker 2: Okay, so you don't do motion simulating OOO.
Speaker 1: The only thing that's simulating is me vomiting. I do start Towars with my friend Spencer. I get horribly horribly nauseous, but I make it through the ride. I usually just shut my eyes. I do that on Harry Potter too. My wife and I yell back and forth. Is it over? So I'm walking out with my friend Spencer and the guy and we're walking behind this guy and his girlfriend, and the guy turns to his girlfriend and absolutely honestly says, that's not what hyperspace is. Like it was the greatest. He was so earnest where he was just conveyed. He's like, they that's not that's not how it was.
Speaker 2: Wow, what a joke.
Speaker 3: It was so funny because he was just so.
Speaker 2: Real and irritated, like irritated because they did not do that correct.
Speaker 3: Now they got it wrong. It was so funny.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to Magical Rewind. I'm Wilfredell, I'm Sabrina Bryan, and oh boy, I just want to say this. So today we were reviewing a very special movie to not only my friend and co host Sabrina here, but also to an entire generation of especially girls all over the world. Now, at the time, this was by far the highest rated movie in the history of d com, so much so that it arguably changed the entire way Disney saw their original movies forever. Now, all I really have to say about this film is bubbles, choucci, aqua and do Now. I'm not trying to get crunched like cornships here, So let's jump into this jiggy jungle together because we don't want to open this box behind your backs.
Speaker 3: Let's just hope we don't look tore up and.
Speaker 1: JANKI as we do whatever's clever to keep the Cheetah Girls on the prowl.
Speaker 2: Wow. Oh well, I knew you were gonna love the Cheetah Chata. I knew it. I'm so happy to blow.
Speaker 3: Your mind amazing.
Speaker 1: Before we deep dive into it, let's do a very quick synopsis A four as if we need to for anybody out there listening.
Speaker 3: A four member girl.
Speaker 1: Group named the Cheetah Girls hope to become the first freshman to win their high school's talent show. But during the auditions, they're discovered by a big time producer who wants to turn the girls into superstars. Will the prospect of fame break best friends apart or make.
Speaker 3: Them closer than ever?
Speaker 1: We can get into the stars and all that stuff, because it's star studded especially in the world of young actors. I mean, it's Raven Simone as Galleria. We raven icon in the Disney Channel world. That's so Raven's Home, which is the reboot. But she started on Cosby Show hanging with mister Cooper. I mean, she is truly a television icon.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, and that was one of my favorite things, honestly. To rewatch this movie was to just I mean, she blew me away. She's just so good, so good, and she nails this character like in just an unreal level. Like literally I loved it. I mean, I'm a fan from The Cosby Show me Too, and she was by far the cue like I wanted one day a little girl that looked just like her, Like I just wanted her personality, her sass, and she was just so cute. And then this movie she killed Well.
Speaker 3: See here's the thing.
Speaker 1: The Cosby Show fell into that trope that television shows often fall into. You see it all the time. We saw it on Family Ties, you see it everywhere where. The kids grow up aren't as cute, so they bring on another kid, and a lot of times it doesn't work. The kid is just kind of there and doesn't really fit into a cast that's already there. Raven came on as this little kid and stole the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: As I was sitting there watching her, her facial expressions, the way that she was selling everything, it reminded me of the first time I saw Claire Danes on My So Called Life, where everything's written on her face in such a way that you could just follow all the little She was awesome.
Speaker 3: So that's Raven.
Speaker 1: And then we've got Adrian Bilone is Chanelle Simmons.
Speaker 3: Or Choucci, which is great.
Speaker 1: She was a member of the actual girl group three l W and later became a co host on the daytime talk show The Real and He News.
Speaker 2: Yes and she won an Emmy. On the reel they won an Emmy?
Speaker 3: Did they really? Yes? Yes.
Speaker 1: Then there was some girl named Sabrina Bryan who played Dorinda Thomas Ordeaux.
Speaker 2: Rush off the streets of Orge County and slaying a New Yorker.
Speaker 1: Hiding a secret that she's kept from her girls the entire time. But Sabrina was also on The Bold and Beautiful. She was a Cheetah Girl's mainstay. The first Dancing with the Stars contestant to get a perfect score from her season where she was robbed.
Speaker 3: I'm gonna say it of making the finals.
Speaker 1: In my completely and totally unbiased opinion, Keey Williams aka Aqua, who herself was another member of three l W, leaving only one three l W member not in the movie, and now that third member, Naurie Naughton, is on the show Power.
Speaker 3: So this is.
Speaker 1: I want to We'll get into everything that you know. I'll do the basics very quickly. It was directed by Oz Scott. It was written by Alison Taylor, based on a very successful book series by Debora Gregory.
Speaker 3: Did I say that right? Yes?
Speaker 1: And most importantly though, and the coolest thing, and I didn't. I'm sure everyone else in the world knew this and I didn't. This movie was produced by Whitney Houston.
Speaker 3: Yup, did you meet Did you meet her? No?
Speaker 2: Is sh No, I didn't, but I did. So this was like the first job I had ever done as an eighteen year old, meaning I was on set by myself. Right. So I show up in Toronto and two things happened in and there's a newspaper on the table that says the Anahe'm Angels, which is you know from Orange County won the World Series. Okay, very cool. The next thing, I look over and there's a gorgeous bouquet of flowers with a note from Whitney Houston. So she knew she wasn't going to be able to make you know, the tape beings. I think she was on tour. I can't remember, but she was obviously very busy, but she did. And I still have it.
Speaker 3: You still have the note? Really?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah? Oh yeah? And you know it's funny. I do things like that that are really important to me. I put them in different places, like when I find it, I'll put it somewhere else, and then I'll find it again and it's like, oh, I still have this. This is so cool. So yeah, that's definitely something I will always hold on to. And it's just so grateful to even, you know, get the opportunity to be in her movie. One of her best friends is Deborah Martin Chase, who did Cinderella or Disney with her. They produced it together as well as Sister of the Tribling Pants. I mean, she was all girl power, girl you know, storylines. It was about getting more and more women to the frontline of the storylines. That's like what she's done, and obviously she's done an incredible time. She princessed Diaries with Well.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is most people don't realize how big. I mean they know her from her singing and everything, but she was a huge movie producer as well.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well Deborah Martin Chase was the backing of all that. So, I mean we had heavy hitters that brought that this project to the Channel that were so inspired and wanted to make this big and they did.
Speaker 1: It well yeah, I mean, talk about a perfect ip to bring to Disney Channel. I mean it was like this was you can see Disney executives as this film is screening, as the numbers are coming in, you can see them going, oh, oh, this is what we're supposed to be doing. A bunch of young women who are you know, fighting for themselves, that are fighting the way in the world, that are also musical and dancing.
Speaker 3: It was just the perfect combination.
Speaker 2: I mean multicultural, yeah, every single one of us. You know, it was such a great setting the stage of really pushing the world and girl power and that whole movement forward that was and it was strategically done and you know, it was it was awesome. It was really really awesome.
Speaker 3: It was also done way before anybody else was doing it.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is two thousand and three, so the diverse Disney was ahead of the curve when it came to diversity and everything else, and watching this film you could see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And they did that with the whole franchise with us because the next one goes to Spain, so we brought a lot of like Flamina, don't.
Speaker 3: Ruin it, don't ruin it. I want to. I haven't seen the second one yet.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean it takes two seconds to know that the third one, by the way, is in India.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you're killing me, you know.
Speaker 2: But it just it's they were so good about and that's wow. The Channel was actually expanding into those territories as well, right, So the Channel was pushing It was synergy and it you know, it made sense time wise for them. But it also being musical, brought in different cultures as we move along with the Cheetah Girls and we'll.
Speaker 1: Get that walking out yeah, yeah, which is an amazing idea. So just to talk a little bit about how huge this film was. It debuted on August fifteenth, two thousand and three, to six point five million viewers. Now that's on it, like the Disney Channel. That's insane. That's an unheard of number at the time. Yeah, and one that you can't get anywhere nowadays, just doesn't happen.
Speaker 2: And there was a huge blackout the night of our premiere in New York. Really do you remember that big blackout happened and people were walking across.
Speaker 3: The bridge the bridge. Yeah, that was the.
Speaker 2: Night of our movie. So we got that number without like a bit like New York, like, oh man, you couldn't even see it that night.
Speaker 1: The DVD would go to sell over a million copies, and to this day it's still regularly considered the number one Disney Channel movie of all time because it was just so successful. It was the most successful debut ever. So you're eighteen years old, this is the first job you've done where you're there by yourself.
Speaker 3: It's this kind of success right away.
Speaker 1: How did your life change from August four fifteenth to August sixteenth?
Speaker 2: Not really much. I was in college working at a tan being salon selling my tanny packages and it was like when I booked it, as we know and are going to find out how many Disney Channel original movies there are right, there was one at that time, like once a month. So we went and we rehearsed for about three weeks in La shot in Toronto. For I want to say, the hardest part for me with all of that was juggling college. So I came home, had to do my midterms one week, then the next week I had to do my finals. So I was still studying and doing stuff like that while we were filming. And then the movie premiered, and of course I was excited because that was a dream job. Once you got on, I knew I looked young enough to play high school for a while. And once you got a Disney Channel movie, synergy goes a lot of times they pulled you into their shows. So I was thinking this was an opportunity of a lifetime for me to hopefully my dream was to be on the Disney Channel. So this is what I was so excited about. I didn't find out and I will never forget. Deborah Martin Chase, producer, calls me. I'm working at my Danning salon. She calls me about I don't even know how long it took, but she said, I just wanted to let you know you're a platinum selling artist, and I was like what, I had no idea that it was selling that well. I knew it was doing pretty well, but Disney didn't even really do a lot of like marketing at the time for it. They kind of just put it out on the shelves, didn't advertise a lot, and just went to see if it would work. And it did.
Speaker 3: Now, but wait a second, I want to go back.
Speaker 1: You're in college, you're working at a tanning salon, you're in a sorority.
Speaker 3: Did anybody I don't know why.
Speaker 2: I loved telling people.
Speaker 3: Because it's awesome.
Speaker 1: That's how we're I mean, that's the dream is you're working one job and then you get your break. So but did any of your friends at college? Did they know you were going to do this thing? Or did you just bounce?
Speaker 2: They knew, you know, but again, like the friends that I was really close to and really knew what I was going through, but no one was ready for what happened my sophomore year when it came out and just like exploded, like.
Speaker 1: Well that's I mean, did you did you come back and were you like, you know, the big person on campus where all of a sudden, everybody knew who you were.
Speaker 2: I didn't do that. I would like if it was until anything was out. I didn't do that. Did you ever have jobs that like didn't work out?
Speaker 1: Basically every single one I had, except I can pick one or two that were awesome and the rest of them.
Speaker 3: Are you just do your job? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Well, I mean, like, like I booked a Christina Aguilera music video, right, I was like the head person of one of her vignettes. She had three, and I was so excited. I couldn't This was in high school. I couldn't keep it in. I had to tell people, this was so cool. This was like Christina right, Big Days. It was her second album, was I think Extina was what she went by at that time. Huge, And the video came out and my vignette got cut, So after that it was like I didn't tell anyone really much of anything until it came out.
Speaker 1: That's probably gu's probably the best way to do it those VideA Yeah, and you never know when you're gonna end up on the coking. Ironically, I was in the other two vignettes, Oh my Heart out with Christina.
Speaker 2: So you're the one that stole my screen time.
Speaker 3: I told everybody, and it just worked out like a charm.
Speaker 1: When we talk about, for instance, when we were on Boy Mets World and you're in school, you have a mandatory numberumber of hours you have to do school every day.
Speaker 3: You know, you do the hours whatever.
Speaker 2: It's the worst it is.
Speaker 3: But at the same time, at least you're getting your stuff done.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, but it's like doing homework for three you're not Yeah, you're not listening to a lecture.
Speaker 3: It's a lot.
Speaker 1: But you're an adult now, you're eighteen and in college, so it's just on you to just keep up your grades. Right. You know, there's no allocated time on your set for you to do that kind of stuff.
Speaker 3: Did you have trouble juggling both?
Speaker 2: No, Now for the cheat of fan based and all the you know, grolpower and keeping your head in the game. I would love to say yes, but no, I didn't. I procrastinated and just like didn't sleep for a few weeks towards the end when I was about to go back to school and start doing my test. Okay, I was just having way too fun on set and offset we were doing, you know, we were all going to dinners together and you know what I mean, it was just like I knew again, thinking this was going to be you know, a few months and then I'm probably never going to get to hang out with these girls again, like this is this is?
Speaker 3: Had you met any of them before you got the part?
Speaker 2: We all auditioned together except for Keighley. So originally Solange Knowles, Beyonce's little sister, was cast as Aqua Kiley's character. Okay, and then I our fans are going to know the Disney Channel building floor twenty one was the audition floor that you go to course the part that they had. So they had booked Solange, Adrian and Raven those were already like done deals. They were looking for my part. So I walk in and it's all different ethnicities, like no one looked really like the same sure, and they were looking for this last missing person. So we were all getting it was like the especially the last call was us getting pulled in with the three of them to seek chemistry to see what we look like on screen.
Speaker 3: So was it instant? I mean, did you know right away that you had Adrian?
Speaker 2: I mean, I was a huge thrill that would be a fan. So Adrian passed me and I was like, and then Raven comes in and I'm like, and then of course, but be keeping.
Speaker 3: It totally cool, freaking out in my head.
Speaker 2: Like and then Solange because she was really starting to like be on a lot of like Beyonce's stuff, and you know what I mean, she was just really starting to get a lot of a lot of limelight. And she walked in and I was like, that cannot be. That can't be Beyonce's sister. There's just no way. There's no way, There's no way. And then I walk in and I read one of the scenes we're going to talk about. That's the audition piece that I had, which was a really fun experience. But then they make me dance.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm gonna say. Is it just acting like you have to sing and dance too? Right?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And back then that's when you brought your KARAOKEI tape. Those were auditions. Yeah, the stape recorder boom press.
Speaker 3: Play What'd you sing?
Speaker 2: City Lights? By Judy Garland.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 2: It's got this high note in it that I used to be able to hit. There's probably no way I haven't done that song. It's so long, but yeah, it's like a Broadway vibe, which is not what the music and the two girls is. It's all but that was really what I studied a lot, you know, growing up.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you get the part and now you go to three weeks worth rehearsal. What are you rehearsing the routine? It's all dancing and singing the whole time, right, all dancing, so just physical all day long? Is it eight hours of dancing and singing.
Speaker 2: Well that's when Raven and Keeley, because they were still in school, that's when they had to do school. So it was a lot of downtime so that me and Adrian weren't like just dancing without them, you know what I mean. So they we did have like breaks, a lot of breaks and stuff like that because they had to get those three hours in. But yeah, dancing, I mean all of the movies took three weeks of rehearsal, all three of them, because it's a lot stage gen you know, learning choreography. It's not like they most choreographers that we worked with didn't necessarily come with it like done. It was like they were building on it, you know. So yeah, it was it was and the choreographer of the movie ended up being in the movie. He had he had a little spot. He was the one that was doing the audition.
Speaker 1: That's what I figured for for that. Yeah, the gold Power whatever they were. Yeah, oh I love that. Okay, Well, you not only had to learn singing and dancy, but you also had to learn basically an entire language.
Speaker 3: Did you know any of the lingo going in.
Speaker 2: And you no, no, so only from Kighley. Now, Keighley's like a bookworm, so she read all of the Cheetah books. That was one of the things she was doing in her school time, and so she'd come out and like obviously when we read the script, we we saw that stuff, but she was like, I mean, she could just jabber in that cheetah language like so well, and she would just sit and crack me up because it was like, what are you trying to even say?
Speaker 1: Did you please tell me you started talking like that off the set that you were all doing the Cheetah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, especially when we were talking to fans, like we would bring up that, like, I mean, everything was cheatahlelicious. Obviously, Groul Power we had a grow Power Productions. When we started doing tours, like we put you know. Yeah, we we embraced the Cheetah life, and that includes the Cheetah chatter.
Speaker 1: The Cheetah chatter is there, Cheatah? Do you still slip into Cheetah chatter in your regular daily Yes?
Speaker 2: And I swear Cheetah constantly.
Speaker 3: I do.
Speaker 2: My daughter wore a lot of it, my poor son, my carrier. Yeah, it's Cheetah.
Speaker 3: Have they seen the movie yet?
Speaker 2: So when I went to rewatch it, Monroe was popping in. Now. She did at some point leave and turn her eyepat on it and go watch Mahana. I was bury upsetting.
Speaker 3: It was wrong.
Speaker 2: Off. I kind of was like, wow, okay, that was rude, but year three, so I'll give you a pass. Then she ended up coming back and at the very end will she looks at me and goes, Mommy, I want to be a Chetah girl in there. I'm like, what do you mean? She's like, I want to be a Chetah girl and do Cheetah movies.
Speaker 3: There you go? How awesome? Is that?
Speaker 2: Anything you want, baby, I'll get you an acting coach right now. I just picked up my phone like, okay, here we go. Who's in orange Cown? Just no, literally, it was just like the best moment because she's never watched them. She's just now getting to be able to sit down. Like I said, she laughed. She doesn't have that attention to being one hundred percent, But when the music came on, she was always guy. She loves dancing, So that was definitely a moment I'll never forget. And I'm so glad that we you know, this new thing I'm doing is watching this kind of stuff. But she's gonna get.
Speaker 3: To watch all the movies, all the movies.
Speaker 2: I'm so excited.
Speaker 1: Well, you mentioned getting a random call from the producer and finding out that you're a platinum selling artist. So all the auditions are all the times the Cheetah Girls sing, or even when the Sonic Band sings at the end, they all become you break the fourth wall, and they all become music videos.
Speaker 2: That was one of the things I was going to talk about that I've found that odd. How did you find it?
Speaker 3: I found it odd, but I got it.
Speaker 1: I got why Disney did it, because you know, we talk about the synergy. They could just lift it out of the film if they wanted to and just throw it up as a video. Oh okay, Yeah, And you know you went and you recorded all the music, right, you're all singing together.
Speaker 2: We recorded separately, Oh you did?
Speaker 3: You didn't record together?
Speaker 2: No, okay, well, at different times that we go in with the different producers we were working with, and everyone had their own you know times. I was a lot of times hooked in with like Raven's time, because the two girls were in the same group, so they had a lot of the same scheduling.
Speaker 3: So that makes sense.
Speaker 2: I would come either before or after Raven so, and they had in the script it was already divvied out who was singing, what line, all that. That was all written ahead of time.
Speaker 3: It was also yeah, but you so.
Speaker 1: The album not only went platinum, it went double platinum. It charted number one on the Billboard Kids Album Chart and spent a total of sixty five weeks on the chart.
Speaker 3: That's nuts. Now, there's one.
Speaker 1: Song obviously that's still everywhere and has been living on forever, and that's Cinderella.
Speaker 3: Do you remember the first time you actually heard the song?
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean it was obviously during rehearsal, because recording process happened like on days that we weren't rehearsing or we could leave early. That kind of stuff. So we were doing that as well schedule, and so yeah, we heard like the demo, we were dancing to the demo before it was us, and it just was so catchy and so, you know, it was a great song. But I didn't realize how amazing it was going to be until we filmed it and we were in those costumes and it just like, I don't know, it just it felt so magical, like more than obviously the first song right where we're like, we don't look polished, and it's kind.
Speaker 3: Of like whereverywhere stuck? I mean, this is this is a yeah I fall you know, yeah, that's where you first.
Speaker 1: Grem with seven year olds or whatever whoever's watching your your breakdown here right.
Speaker 2: So yeah, So it definitely was a different feeling recording that one, right, and and a different feeling filming it for sure, Like it just felt slick and felt it felt really awesome.
Speaker 3: You do the flippy thing right there at the very beginning.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's called an aerial.
Speaker 1: Were you a gymnast? Like where'd you learn to do all the flippy stuff? Was this from dancing or were you actually into gymnastics?
Speaker 2: It's from dancing, Yeah, I did. I did like tumbling and dance, so I would go to like a y m c A or a different you know, kIPS or gymnastics studio where it was they had everything, but I only focused on like the floor tumbling. So you would do that when I was like competitively dancing, like I had, I had more than what we filmed at that time, Like I had decent trick, nothing crazy, but like, you know, yeah, I definitely knew how to do that gymnastics, but never the bars or that thing you run at so fast and it looks like.
Speaker 1: Oh the pommel is that the pommel horse or the yeah whatever, you run full speed into a wall exactly.
Speaker 2: As I would trip every time. There's a zero chance I could have done that. But yeah, but I could do the tumbling, and you know, as a dancer when you're in the industry, that's one of the things that like sets you apart. Like I'm sure that was helpful, and I'm sure I did it in the little tiny room of my audition. I probably make sure that they knew I could do that.
Speaker 3: You know, were you you did?
Speaker 1: You really just do it on the street with no matt in the scene where they're you're all in the very beginning.
Speaker 3: You just busted them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're really easy.
Speaker 3: They're really not. I'm guessing no, they are.
Speaker 2: They are the group of girls that I coached. I have twenty two of them. They can all do right, Aeriel, every single one one, like on cue on time. It's not it's not as hard of a trick as it looks. It's scary because you're not you don't put your hands down, but it's not as hard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hurt myself with you talking about it, so I'm guessing it's probably hard.
Speaker 2: You know what, I haven't done one since I've I have had my first baby, so I think I'm gonna have to video it and see if I can still do that.
Speaker 1: Area you go a post baby aerial, let's give itba.
Speaker 2: I haven't done it at all, So I think it's time.
Speaker 1: Maybe throw Matt down. I would think just to kind of maybe just oh casey, it wouldn't be bad.
Speaker 3: So you guys go on tour. Is this right?
Speaker 1: Miley Cyrus Cyrus's hand in Montana open for you guys. The Jonas brothers were there, Vanessa Hudgens, I mean yeah, but you were. You were the headliners, right, And you know what's funny.
Speaker 2: I just watched them the Jonas Brothers documentary and they talk about driving around in this twelve person white van. That's what they drove behind our bus in. They were still really new to the label, so they were, you know, an opening.
Speaker 3: Act following the Cheetah Girls.
Speaker 2: Or were so sweet. They were the best guys. They were so awesome and really all throughout their career when we would see them over and over again as they got bigger and bigger, and they mean they were like the Beatles at some point. Yeah, considered that like that the most down to earth, so fun, so sweet, I mean, just the best.
Speaker 3: That's awesome.
Speaker 1: Well, as you know, we often do here, and by often, I mean this is the second time you've done it, because it's our second episode, but we're going.
Speaker 3: To keep doing it. Is we do real reviews.
Speaker 1: So we do a five star review that is a real review from the internet machine, and then we also do a one star review. I think last last week you did the one star, so I'm going to take the one star that time you take the five star.
Speaker 3: Let's do the good review first. What do you got?
Speaker 2: All right? It says five out of five stars. Absolutely the best movie of all time, no comparison. It's so inspiring to me as a person and a man, as I want to become a cheetah one day night.
Speaker 3: It's a great review. Five out of five stars.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I mean i'd like him to know he is if you're a fan and you feel the essence of Cheetah.
Speaker 3: So I'm a Cheetah?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 3: Oh Raoul Love?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Absolutely?
Speaker 3: Oh I rawl love.
Speaker 1: Did I do that right? Here's a review that's not as good. This is from Kaylin. It is one out of five stars. And every time my voice gets highed, it's because it's in caps. Okay, he says, I watched the Cheetah Girls Marathon with my cousin and it was the worst thing I've ever experienced, and it made my head hurt so much.
Speaker 3: Frownie face.
Speaker 1: Maybe maybe split them up. Don't watch Jamal in a row. I mean even the Star Wars movies in a row. You start to get a headache halfway through Empire, so I mean, come on, you break it up. The first movie was great. I haven't seen the second one yet. I'm not trying to to rain on anybody's parade. Maybe the second one is not as good. I don't know, but the first one is great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, in my opinion, the second one's better.
Speaker 3: But really so yeah oh yeah.
Speaker 2: But there's also like if it's not your jam, Like if you're like somebody who doesn't really like music or you prefer a different genre of music, you're obviously like you know what I mean, And it's like it's okay to not like it, just you.
Speaker 3: Know, in all fairness, I am not a musical guy.
Speaker 1: Like I don't like when I'm watching a movie and then everybody suddenly breaks into song like they've sat around and rehearsed.
Speaker 3: But The Cheetah Girls is about a band, So every time you break into song, you're supposed to break into song. You're a band singing a song. It makes sense.
Speaker 1: Yet it's not like you're sitting at a bank and all of a sudden, everybody in line knows the same song and dance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Oh it drives me crazy. But this is so great.
Speaker 2: That's what I'll say about this movie. There the performances routines that are done with this one is definitely that way. It's set up as a performance.
Speaker 3: Yeah, right, exactly when the.
Speaker 2: Channel started moving along with their with their musicals. It definitely went away with that. So that's what something I noticed rewatching this that I never really thought about is they must have seen ours and went, now, we don't like it that way. We wanted to be more like a musical where you do just break out into song. Our second movie, i'd say, is like a combo of.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's a hybrid. Oh okay, so sometimes their breakout okay, well, but.
Speaker 2: If you watch, you know, if you watch like high School musical, I know you haven't seen that yet. I haven't seen that one yet either, but it's gonna be. It's definitely not a set group because they're you know, they're all from different breaks.
Speaker 3: Right, It's like Glee where they just break in the song.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: Talking about the talent auditions, because that's we're talking about just breaking into song.
Speaker 3: But you walk down as a band.
Speaker 1: Now you're auditioning for the first time to Cheetah moms sneak in to watch the audition. They sneak in under the cover of scarves, which I always see the cheetash scarves the interesting way to go. They are unobtrusive as the only two people in the entire auditorium other than drink a champagne.
Speaker 2: So, which isn't that so funny that that name it drinks champagne on the channel?
Speaker 3: You know what it reminded me of.
Speaker 1: It reminded me of a James Bond girl like woman likes James Bond. Women all have those terrible names and uh yeah, Zenya on the top and I won't even say some of them. But it did drink a champagne sounded like an evil James Bond villain. But we're sitting there and then we get to meet one of the creepiest producers who doesn't look like a producer at all. He looks like a random drug kingpin, Jackal Johnson.
Speaker 2: Was he is there outfit in the scene? I'm thinking yes he was.
Speaker 3: I think he was in velor for most of the film the whole time.
Speaker 2: Yes, But you know what, I will say, many music producers dressed like that. That was back in the day with the like are they really well were the brands like boo boo oh u p Did he had a brand that what you know, those like bigger, baggier, matching, top, matching, Sean John Jacket, Yes, Sewn John, Yes, Yes, there you go. I mean so a lot of producers actually did look like that. I thought he did so well with the bar.
Speaker 1: He's great, Oh it was, He's great, you know instantly. First of all, it's like, why would you trust this guy off the bat, even though he went to the school he knows Drinka just going from now on, even know no one's behind me and no one knows about me, but all the producers, everybody knows.
Speaker 3: I'm not great with scheduling. I'm still trying.
Speaker 1: So from now on, I just want to start going schedule and just have somebody hand me now that Jack, that.
Speaker 2: Guy, every line he has was like just made me corrac I don't know why, if it was his delivery, if it was what he was having to say, but every time he just popped in, it was schedule.
Speaker 3: Schedule.
Speaker 1: It's gonna start doing that and hope somebody hands me a gigantic cell phone or BlackBerry that he has to uh to check his actual schedule. Yes, now, did you have a problem with how much of a Hater's not the right word, but standing in the way of Bubbles's dreams? Her mom was like, right away, you figure you want to build into that a little bit like, hey, there's an opportunity. But she came in off the bat, like, you're not doing this under no circumstances? Am I going to allow you your record contract?
Speaker 2: So there is a whole and I think it happens in the books. There is a whole backstory of bubbles and chew cheese mop Like, are they general Cheetah girls?
Speaker 1: They were the original Cheetah Girls, Like they were as an actual band called the Cheetah Girls that the moms were a part of.
Speaker 2: No, but they were. They are in the industry in some form.
Speaker 3: Well, she says modeling. She says, my modeling career.
Speaker 2: That's where Galleria and Chanel get this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so she talks.
Speaker 2: She talks about the career, but doesn't talk about how big it was. You can tell something happened with her career that made she feels we're bad decisions right, like right, detrimental to the rest of her other decisions. So you see a little bit. But yeah, it's like, whoa, we can't have a conversation.
Speaker 3: Like right yo.
Speaker 1: Then her dad with the most cartoony Italian voice ever. Some of the voices again, the woman who does the hair too, who just has the thick Russian accent out of nowhere. Yeah, some of the accents are pretty funny. Yes, he comes in with the please don't allow you.
Speaker 2: Know what did you say? He sees Mario.
Speaker 3: Kind of sounds a little like super Mario.
Speaker 1: But first of all, I'm pitching right now, and I'm taking credit for the pitch, and I'm sure it's one of the books, but I'm pitching the prequel where it's the mom's doing the Cheetah girls.
Speaker 3: Okay, so I'm.
Speaker 1: Pitching because it would take place in the eighties. It would be or the seventies of the eighties. It would be a period piece. Think about the cheetah, then the cheetah, then the music. Then that would be like eighty like seventies or eighties kind of power.
Speaker 3: Forget it.
Speaker 1: I'm pitching that right now, trademark. But you've got the people coming in, You've got the mom who's kind of wanting to stop her from doing. But then there's a line that he comes in with that I wrote down that is so great, where she says I don't want her making the same mistakes I did, and he says she's not gonna She's gonna make all new mistakes that are her own and that's gonna make her her And I.
Speaker 3: Was like, that's brilliant.
Speaker 2: The Disney magic right, the right. That's the moment where it's like it's true, like you can't protect your kids things that there's lessons they need to learn on their own, you know, and it's better for them to learn it on their own rather than you to tell them there's gonna happen, you know. And again it's like, can we, you know, Dorothea, can we just have a conversation, can we just we can't do it because it's terrible, we won't, but let's just have a conversation with this jackal guy.
Speaker 3: I love the moms. I love the relationships.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that Chucci's mom leaves her the best named credit card in the history of the world. She leaves her her gold platinum card. Yes, I love that it's the gold platinum card. They're either gold or platinum, not this one. It's the gold platinum card.
Speaker 2: I found that crazy. I when it was I was in high school. There was no chance that any of my friend's moms, we're going to give us a credit card. Oh, go get something for yourself. My mom did that once my freshman year. She gave me money when we were going back to school once and said, here's the money. Let my friend and I go to South Coast Plazas where all the great stores at.
Speaker 1: Was my wife's favorite mall in the world because she's from Warren County, YEP.
Speaker 2: And get my back to school clothes. Homie got one outfit with them. My mom. I was like, okay, that was a mistake, but one outfit. So the fact that she gave her a credit card like pretty much an endless amount of money.
Speaker 3: Gold platinum card, a.
Speaker 2: Gold and platinum card.
Speaker 3: Crazy.
Speaker 1: All right, let's go to what do you think is the movie's best quote? There's three options here, and I'm not sure that it's on here, but we've got it. Was drama and Kaflama, which is pretty great. You better stash the sauce next time you see Jackal.
Speaker 3: Which is pretty great.
Speaker 1: And the Cheetah girls do not run with wolves or hang with hyenas, which is pretty great. But this movie, and I say this because my brother's and I speak in movie quotes, this.
Speaker 3: Movie is crazy quotable.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, so I still love I said it in my opening I still love how oh Man Bubbles goes to Doe and she hands her the outfits that she needs to go by and she says, I don't want you looking janky and Tora up oh so harsh.
Speaker 2: I do love these ones again, there's so many. My favorite if he doesn't love my art, he can't have my heart. I love that one because then she actually does go ooh lyric moment.
Speaker 3: I love that. I love it. I also loved you all saying he wants to be your boom.
Speaker 2: I know those two because we did them obviously, like back to back. Those two cafeteria scenes were so fun. They were so fun, like we had the blast doing those.
Speaker 1: Can we talk a little bit about the smartest dumb dog in the history of films? Because the dog can up, goes right to bed when asked, gets up and dances to all the music, but then jumps in a hole and then can't get out.
Speaker 3: I don't it threw me a little bit. I'm gonna be honest with you.
Speaker 1: The the and then for some reason I get why they're doing it, but the firefighter who's in the hole can't seem to reach the dog unless the dog dances. And yet in front of him has a giant bottle of baby oil.
Speaker 3: Did you notice this baby So he's obviously covering that.
Speaker 1: He can reach the dog to cover it with baby oil, but he can't get the dog until the dog dances to him.
Speaker 3: This is where the movie fell apart a little bit for me, a little bit.
Speaker 2: It's like, you get why it had to be set up that way, But it was really just, I mean, the urgency in the from the first time she tells the first cop. I was like, I don't think I've ever seen a cop move so so quickly, especially for a dog.
Speaker 3: I'm calling it back up. And then the nation was riveted.
Speaker 1: Everybody's watching as the new comes down, the school empties out.
Speaker 2: It was that was the most the scene in the part of the storyline.
Speaker 1: I agree.
Speaker 2: That was just kind of like, what are you doing here? We are in a fairydale land.
Speaker 3: Yes, you'd have to be. You have to suspend a little.
Speaker 2: Bit, pulls you back to going we're watching a Disney g General movie. This is how we're gonna pull everyone out and get back together. I mean and all and all dressed the same.
Speaker 3: You're all dressed in your cheetahuse.
Speaker 2: I will say, that's probably the iconic costume of the show more than the Cinderella one.
Speaker 3: With the headband.
Speaker 2: With all of us wearing those just mass I mean they were massive that you know why we had to wear them. We were, you know, laying that we were in the fall, like the beginning of school right in Toronto in the like wintertime, like November. Like we were there filming that scene in November. It was freezing like when they did cut, like there were people on set that would just wrap us with jackets and they had hot pockets in the barget It was so cold and raining.
Speaker 1: I will say that, I uh, that scene took me out of it a little bit. It then, of course becomes an entire musical number with no actual microphones, but everyone can still hear what's going on. And I still do not understand why a dog falls in a hole and they scent an ambulance. Yes, yeah, who who's the ambulance for? I'm just curious, is it for the dog? Because no people were.
Speaker 2: Involved, firefighter that's in there. It doesn't seem that smarty either.
Speaker 3: You sent an ambulance?
Speaker 1: Oh my okay, so yeah, well we're I'd like to jump right ahead if we can. Yes, let's do our three and a half facts, because there are some great yes Cheetah Girl facts here.
Speaker 3: Why don't you tell us what that is? Yeah, yes, it's where.
Speaker 2: We find three facts and one we found on the internet that cannot be confirmed. Right, So these are good because they would be awesome if but we don't know if they're true.
Speaker 3: Or we don't know. We think they might be.
Speaker 2: Everyone talks about it like they are, but we're not quite sure.
Speaker 1: Right, we can't put our stamp on the fact that it's real. Right, give us the first one.
Speaker 2: The Cheetah Girls merchandise while touring was so popular that at the time they became or we became the highest selling act at their merchandise company, even beating the Rolling Stone.
Speaker 3: And that's not the fake fact, that's real.
Speaker 2: That's real.
Speaker 3: What's the next one?
Speaker 2: All right? So this half for that we got for you, the half fact, the half fact. The Cheetah Girls is Obama's daughter's favorite movie. It's a half fact. We'll say that they were at our concert really when we were on tour, and them like Faith Hill and Tim mcgross kids were there. But you know, to beat the rush home and all of that our meet and greets for the first and second tour were at the end of the show, and so they wouldn't stay all the way, so they'd leave, So we didn't get to do that. And we can actually ask my girl Keeley about that because she was so upset. It was. We were so stoked. I mean, think about it. You're on stage performing for the president.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean that's so was the President there or just the kids? The kid?
Speaker 2: No? So that that's the thing too, is it would be booked under the you know person that you would be recognized, but we didn't always mean that that person was there, of course, but there was a possibility, so we would be like lighting that stage up on fire just in the case the President was there watching.
Speaker 1: Other confirmed fans are the Kardashian kids who dressed in treated Girl sweatshirts as past Halloween, Quenta Bronson, who just sang a Cheatah Girl song on the Golden Glors Red Carpets, and Cartie b who professor Cheatah Love on IG Live.
Speaker 2: I mean this is huge, yes, yes, I mean it just like to know that those kinds of celebrities know the work that you've done. It's just is like wow. I mean it's it's so cool. I mean the Kardashian Halloween out that happened just this Halloween.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, so it's saying it's the twentieth anniversary. We should say that. So it's still not only alive in kicking, but hugely popular.
Speaker 2: I can't wait to see and the new generation like it just keeps gaining the next generation of young cheetahs. It's awesome. It's awesome.
Speaker 3: The let's add Amori.
Speaker 1: Uh, we don't really even have to do that, because if I read something, that's very interesting. So in the original books, there were twins that were then cut from the books, and Tia and Tamara were actually considered to play those parts and were considered at the time I think too maybe too old or something. I can't remember what it was, but they were not able to do the project. But so we could have had a Mori in there from the original original books.
Speaker 3: So there you go. That's how you do it.
Speaker 2: Yes, I off another option because the brother is he's younger. It could have worked to make him like a little brother of one of the girls.
Speaker 3: That would have worked too, that's great. Or your foster brothers.
Speaker 2: Which the twin factor and it not be two girls, and it'd be like Aqua's twin.
Speaker 3: Great idea.
Speaker 2: There you go, you know what I mean, making it, make it a little bit different, bringing a little bit different vibe. I mean he could have been like our main producer. There could have been.
Speaker 3: Like like something like that is awesome.
Speaker 2: Yes, I think I really like him because that's the first.
Speaker 3: Person you always go to how to put Taj in the movie. You're a big TA.
Speaker 1: Fan, Sabrina sees what did I miss?
Speaker 2: Okay, so first of all, you took quite a bit.
Speaker 3: Oh so I saw quite a bit this week. Saw a lot.
Speaker 2: You saw a lot, which was awesome. The ones that I really loved was there's like I'm going to go through them really fast because they don't need a lot of explanation. The giant home phones that bubbles and chootch she had. I can't remember in the early two thousands did we have that big of phones.
Speaker 1: I think so phones went through a big phase, then they went through a really big phase.
Speaker 2: Okay, because her cell phone was also giant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she had that great flip phone, which I would still have right now if I could.
Speaker 2: Yes, doesn't close it. After the the conversation on the phone.
Speaker 3: She just puts it down. I know, yeah, she doesn't, she does. That's interesting. I noticed that as well.
Speaker 2: Any Fuddy. My next one is we talked about how all the music, all the music that we did was like a music video style. I found that jarring. I didn't really love that part. You loved it because I.
Speaker 3: Got how you want to watch it. I got it, I got how they did it. I didn't love it, but I got Okay.
Speaker 2: So Kyle Schmid's chacter Derek, Yeah, gallerya's love interest. Right, Yeah, when he comes out with this, you know he's going to do something. When he comes out with his performance, did you expect a hit wrap routine.
Speaker 1: No, he's carrying a guitar half the movie. It's like what and then he plays at the end. But it's like I wasn't expressed.
Speaker 2: That felt like so what why why is he? What is that song? He doesn't look at at all like that would be his interest. So there's that.
Speaker 3: I thought he'd go out to Kyle though, I do.
Speaker 2: Love him so much. He's such a sweetheart. Derek was dreamy though, Yes, and he's gone on to do a lot of work, a.
Speaker 3: Ton of stuff. Yeah, and he's married to Katie Katie Loakes.
Speaker 1: Yes, but the slammed, like the tray goes all over him, and even the girls are like even the embarrassing stuff is cute.
Speaker 2: He has this like kind of like accent a little bit as he was.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we don't know what exactly where he's from. Yeah, it's it's very.
Speaker 2: Easy, but he was. He was awesome. I loved his moments too, with him pulling the friendship back together. He was really the one that pulled back together.
Speaker 1: And there was especially the piano scene, which I shout out to Raven, but not not great fake piano playing at all.
Speaker 2: Okay, I did want to put that in my Serena season because I'll say it. I mean, but when she was singing, I focused on her face because she.
Speaker 3: Wasn't any great. But they had nice chemistry.
Speaker 2: They did.
Speaker 3: They had very nice chemistry the two of them.
Speaker 2: Great chemistry worked.
Speaker 3: And now we come to the biggest thing.
Speaker 1: We've got to rate the movie, and I think today's one out of ten trapped p seanfre says, which as as Raven says, that is not zal dressing.
Speaker 3: That gets confused. That's Madonna.
Speaker 2: That's such a funny line.
Speaker 1: So that's a great line. So one out of ten. Do you want me to start? Do you want to start?
Speaker 2: You start, you start.
Speaker 1: I'll start, Okay. I really liked this movie. I thought it is a great Disney Channel movie. You've got the music, You've got its own little language, it's its own encapsulated world.
Speaker 3: It is a really good movie. You lost me with the dog at the end.
Speaker 1: It's a weird kind of way to get the band back together. And then a couple things here and there. But I'm gonna give this a solid eight. Trapped Pean for says, and I could go, I could go eight point five and not look back. It would have been a full on nine if the dog didn't get trapped in a hole at the end. It really, you know, which is for me, pretty close to perfection, because I don't know I'll ever give a ten. But I was entertained. You were all phenomenal. The music was catchy. Even the cheesy parts are Disney cheesy, so they're the way they're supposed to be. Yes, the acting's great, the singing's great. So yeah, I'm gonna say I mean, I'm gonna up it. I'm gonna say eight and a half and be happy with eight and a half oiled up trapped peanfre says, which which again will be put into an ambulance for some reason after they are taken out of the ground.
Speaker 3: How about you.
Speaker 2: So I was nervous to go watch this again. Nervous. I mean you're talking, I'm eighteen, you know. I was so worried about what it was gonna look and feel like. And you know, and I actually it just brought me back to how much fun we had out on that out in Toronto. The experience was just incredible the movie. I also was worried about that cheese factor being way more than what it was. And you know, again, watching Raven and Adrian and Kihley, you know, with their dancing and performance, I really loved it more than I thought I was good. I was ready to give this like a four and a half.
Speaker 4: Really knowing, well, you know, it's hard to watch yourself any This is the kind of acting that you do that is over the top.
Speaker 2: You know, there's times where I'm like, oh gosh, top down, shrimpy and white like Norilla acts. But you know, again, I think I'm gonna give it a seven, a seven Okay, knowing where it's gonna go to.
Speaker 3: See, that's the thing that's hard.
Speaker 2: Part. You don't know.
Speaker 1: I don't know yet. I don't I haven't seen Empire Strikes Back yet. I haven't seen the second part. I don't know where we're going, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I also you just mentioned something that I think I'd like to add a new category to to and I'd like to get a sponsor for it. Okay, whether it's Sargento or it's Velveta. But we're gonna need a cheese factor. You just said to cheese. We're gonna need a cheese factor category. Okay, especially for Disney Channel because I thought this was again I thought it was cheesy in all the right places, which is it's they're Disney Channel movies. They're all gonna be cheesy somewhere somehow, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, I mean that's what brings the demo back to what we're where it's supposed to be, right, impactly, Adults, it can't be too serious. There's some good serious moments in there, like Chanelle and her Mom's dynamic.
Speaker 3: You and the Master Kid and all that kid.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's that, but not too you know, there was a lot more crying. I did not realize you did. You kind of always just thought it was I guess because I was on set for Chanelle's or for Adrian's crime moment at that at the end of the movie. But I forgot that Raven had a good one too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Whitfield, so that we're also gonna have to add than the Johnson and Johnson no more tears category. Okay, I get that there was there was some crying, but again, all earned. I thought it was all all your acting was great. I wow, thoroughly enjoyed this. I can't wait to see the second one. Thank you for sharing your film with me, because it was really good. I watched it the first time with my wife. We both liked it. I watched the second time on myself.
Speaker 3: Uh, are you happy with what I saw.
Speaker 2: With the Cheetah I really love being able to kind of crack up at myself of course, and us and what we were doing and what we were wearing. But we are going to absolutely get into that because we are so thrilled to have a park Hopper episode for you on the Magical rewind Feet with my Cheetah Girl co star and bestie Keeley Williams. Yes, just search for Magical Rewind anywhere you get podcasts, as this is a special one that will not be on the pod meets World Feet.
Speaker 1: Yes and our I'm so excited to say this. First of all, again, thank you Cheetah girls. Great, go watch it again. It is on Disney Plus right now. Check it out. It is absolutely worth it. You're gonna love every second of it, except maybe the dog falling in the hole at the end. You'll probably also go, wait, and why is he playing guitar when there's drums and there's no drums there. It's got some issues, people, but it's a Disney Channel movie and it was good. So our next movie, we're just hitting on all cylinders because our next movie also haven't seen. But I've heard so many, so many people have told me this is one of their favorite movies. We are watching nineteen ninety eight Break with an exclamation point, of course, and it's viewable on Disney Plus. So go get your rollerblades and your helmets ready. I'm so excited for this one because this is so in my wheelhouse of movies that I grew up watching. So this was such a fun episode. Don't forget again. As Sabrina said, go to the park Hopper episode where we talked to Keeley Williams. I'm just gonna watch, sit back and watch the two of you reminisce about a pretty great film that started an absolutely amazing franchise, and we will be watching the next ones further down the line. But thank you so much for joining us, and remember to subscribe to our feed and you can follow us that magical rewind pod on Instagram. Growl Powell, Growl Powell. I still can't get it right, will grawl Power.
Speaker 2: It is a spinoff of Girl Power. Growl Power, Growl Power.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I feel like an official Cheetah I really do.
Speaker 2: H is always room for more Cheetah boys always we love it.
Speaker 1: I will take that all day. Thanks for joining us for the Cheetah chatter. This episode's been cheat delicious.
Speaker 3: Join us next time