Speaker 1: Hey guys, I'm Tommy d Dario. Welcome to Hot Takes and Hangouts. I am hanging out with Michael Johnston. You know him from Obsession? How are you, my man? Doing great? Are you ready for some hot takes? Let's go rap Okay, rapid fire? Here we go? All right? All right, where do I want to again? Okay? What's the craziest fan theory you've seen online about Obsession?
Speaker 2: That Nicky is actually possessed by the spirit of Bear's cat Sandy.
Speaker 1: It's wow crazy.
Speaker 2: It's totally like waiting outside of the bathroom, following around waiting for him to get home, all that stuff, like it all makes sense. There's a lot of stuff in there that could prove that theory.
Speaker 1: That's actually kind of amazing. Yeah, whoever created that, hats off to the kudos. Kind of amazing.
Speaker 2: There's a very graphic, extremely bloody scene in the film that involves a head being smashed. So in the director's cut, after the head is smashed, that character is still alive for a little while and she makes some gurgling sounds. Oh God, it's horrific, it's so bad. But the first time, that was the first cut that I saw then they had to take it out. But man, if you're like a fan of horror and you know the brutality of it, it's it's it's brutal.
Speaker 1: It sounds brutal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's great. It's it's like one of those things that you you you want to watch it, but you you have to look away. I just remember that moment. I was like, damn, that's dark.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And she did not Sarah did not deserve the thing. She didn't deserve it.
Speaker 1: Poor thing. That would have put the rating in like a whole different category it did. Wow. Yeah, yeah, okay, well we have to see it now now, yeah, yeah, we got just cut there we go. Do you have a favorite horror movie?
Speaker 2: It's so hard to pick one, all right, anything? Yeah, I mean I'm a big fan of ari Asta. I loved Hereditarian, Midsomar. I'm just go I gotta say one.
Speaker 1: Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 2: I have a bunch. I mean, I love Silence of the Lambs, I love the twenty eight Days Later, like.
Speaker 1: The brilliant message. Yeah, I'm like I like a slash of like scream and like hollow stuff, but I want darker.
Speaker 2: I like some I like some really dark ship you know. That's my dad's fault. He showed me all these movies. He showed me Halloween when I was like nine or ten or something, and I was terrified. But now I have this like morbid curiosity, and anytime a movie can get under my skin, like the tone of Blair Witch, I'm just like.
Speaker 1: Oh, man, I know, Oh my god, I love it. I want more. Did you watch Widow's Bay?
Speaker 2: I did, and I loved it, just so good I expected, but no, I know I didn't. I heard that it was horror comedy, and I kind of rolled my eyes because it's really hard to get that right. But man, I was cackling.
Speaker 1: I think they're gonna sweep Awards.
Speaker 2: It's oh absolutely. What's the name of the one character the the lady and she like closes the door in the guy's face and she's so funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I forget her her name, but.
Speaker 2: Man, she's fantastic everyone in that show.
Speaker 1: So, because you said Halloween or reminded me of the episode that was very.
Speaker 2: That's the one I was yeah with the yeah.
Speaker 1: So good show, Me too, loved it. Okay, what is the best song to get you out of a bad mood?
Speaker 2: Oh, hmmm, I feel good. That song was playing when I was born. Really yeah, my my, my, my leg popped out first and my my butt came out, and that was the first thing to see the world too. I feel good.
Speaker 1: That's what my dad says forever. Yeah, yeah, I feel good. Okay, you might need to do a cover of that eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I should take.
Speaker 1: A stripped down acoustic version, just saying I'd love to, Just saying, all right, what's something you always do before an audition?
Speaker 2: Are we talking about like the old days where you kind of show up when you go in person?
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it's changed now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the tapes. It's almost all tapes. Something that I learned from a little bit of theater that I've done is to sort of kind of be aware of the surroundings and kind of like find a way to kind of root myself in this in the space where I am. So something that I loved to do when we did that, when we used to go into the rooms, was just sort of like really kind of take in everything around me, like, so I'm learning my lines, I got my lines, blah blah blah. But then the last thing that goes through my mind is like just kind of be very like there's a table there, there's a rug here, like feel like just kind of try to like ground myself in the current moment, because once you're there, the preparation's done, you gotta just let it go. If you don't know the lines that well, you know, just vacant acting.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: I do have a crazy story though on I'm I. It was like Pilot season when that was a thing and I was running driving all around town. He's spend like three hours in the car, and I messed up and I thought I was a different audition and I didn't. I wasn't prepared enough and a guy was coming out of the room and I just like snatched his lines out of his hand and went straight in. It was really.
Speaker 1: Bad, like without any concept. Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: I was like hanging up brow that he was like, oh wait, and then I like was I was reading like basically cold reading and he had like notes in there, and oh it was. It was awful. I did get that rule. I did, and then that and now from now on, I'm like, geez, I'm always so stressed about this. Just just throw it away, just be yourself. I don't know, maybe that's terrible advice.
Speaker 1: It depends on the rule. No, oh, I like that advice, and that guy now is gonna.
Speaker 2: Be like, I can't believe that I shouldn't have done it, but I just panicked and I just kind of made a decision. You got to just sometimes you.
Speaker 1: Just gotta look, it was game day. How to do it? How to make a decision? Okay, which Obsession cast member? Would you want to be stuck on an island with you?
Speaker 2: Megan Lawless?
Speaker 1: Why?
Speaker 2: Because she's just a sweetheart and we just like giggle together and I feel like we might not survive, we'll have a great time.
Speaker 1: Okay, I guess it counts for something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if I'm thinking in terms of like who hm survival? Well, Indy loves well No, Cooper really knows all these interesting facts. He's very wise. He has a lot of trivia on his brain, so he might be a good choice. But also Indy is a hardcore gamer and she used to like stream so maybe she's played a lot of games. We have to survive. That's a tough one. I'd probably be the most useless one.
Speaker 1: So he would you take them all?
Speaker 2: I'd be like, oh man, we gotta make a mattress.
Speaker 1: Like you know, it would be like not the most important thing, right, sleep in the sand?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, like I need some bugs, all.
Speaker 1: Right, so a combination of all of them. We'll take it. You're doing fine. Oh here's a nice one. Oh perfect first date.
Speaker 2: Oh, perfect first date.
Speaker 1: Hmmm.
Speaker 2: A walk. I love a good walk, just you know, because it's nice because if it's not going great, you can kind of like probably wrap it up. You can figure that out. And if it is going great, it's it'll last. It could last a little longer. Or if if you're kind of like having some butterflies while you're walking, so you don't like look at them the whole time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I like I like a walk.
Speaker 2: I don't get people who go to the movies for a first date. You're not even like talking to each other. No, I don't like that unless you go to see Obsession. Okay, that's a great first.
Speaker 1: Dage suttle plug all right, my man, Well, thank you so much. You survived the rapid fire around and everybody. If you want more from this amazing dude sitting right here, you can hear our full interview, which is out now, so go listen and go watch obsession. You can watch us from the comfort of your couch right now. Thank you so much, thank you