Speaker 1: Of the Law and Order franchises, SVU is considered especially watchable.
Speaker 2: We are the amateur detectives who kind of investigate the vicious felonies. These episodes are based on.
Speaker 3: These are our stories, done done.
Speaker 2: Hello, welcome to That's Messed Up. I am one of your hosts, Lieza Traeger and I'm Kara Klank. This is an SVU podcast where we talk about Law and Order SVU. We talk about the true crime the episode was based on, and then we interview a person from the show and Wow, today a huge one, A huge one. You guys are going to have to listen to some of you don't get spoiled and want to just wait till the end, but you're gonna have to listen to like an hour and a half of recapping and crime before you get to the big one, which is.
Speaker 1: Our guest today. But now we do a little check in chat.
Speaker 4: It's huge, huge. Our podcast is so cool.
Speaker 2: I don't know what Last week we were chatting about resolutions and we didn't think of one. But now as I grip my cell phone, my goal was I'll say it right now, because it's before the holiday.
Speaker 4: Break manifest manifest.
Speaker 2: I want to take Instagram off my phone all of Christmas break.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: I want to read a book. I want to hang out with my family. I want to be creative, write new jokes, work on sets. Maybe I'll write a movie. I waste eight hours a day on my phone minimum. I wish I wasn't exaggerating. It's like truly, because I remember watching Ingrid Goes West being like, oh my god, what a looney bin. Like I can't believe her character can't even be on a toilet or brush her teeth without her phone.
Speaker 4: And I'm on my phone all the time.
Speaker 2: I can't stop, and I don't want to completely shut it off forever and ever.
Speaker 4: I don't have anything to prove.
Speaker 2: And I love Instagram, but we'll see next week, We'll catch up. But my dues while I'm home in Skochie, maybe even in New York.
Speaker 4: I want to get the fun go off my phone. Yeah, of it. I wish I could also do like a.
Speaker 1: I don't know I could control the screen time controls that like tell me to get off or whatever, but I just I don't know.
Speaker 4: I'm on and off.
Speaker 1: But I do wish the time I spent scrolling, like at night, even if it's ten minutes before bad that I was reading a book instead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I should just do that.
Speaker 2: So I think that's like maybe a real So we'll see if I accomplish that on Christmas when we meet up and around New Year's and then if not, I hope I just work on my phone stuff this year. I think I forgot that that is ruining my life. So yeah, did you think I might have said weed, I'm never stopping.
Speaker 4: I don't know what anyone says.
Speaker 1: But it also does provide us, like you have such a wealth of knowledge of random crap from the internet that does provide us a lot of the fodder for our intros on our podcast.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, because my good friend Frek, she was just like, girl, you don't need to make declarations, Like even if you take Instagram off your phone for two hours, that's probably more time and you ever stay off of it. And so it is a thing where like, I'm such an extreme person and that's why I flop when I try to make changes in my life because I'm all or nothing and I don't know how to just find balance. And that was a reminder where it's like, oh yeah, I could just like take it off for one night while I'm watching a movie, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah like that. There's also like some kind of.
Speaker 1: App that my friend uses, you know her too, that is like you can just set it to these hours. I don't use any social media, and they like won't let you on these places for just like for whatever hours you set it as you know, so then you don't have to do all that to uninstalling and reinstalling, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Okay, yes, and that I also want to get on rocket money, red Rocket something like that. Not red Rocket, that's like a dog dick, I think, but I think it's Rocket Money. What's that it's I heard it. It was one of Tricksy and Katya's many ads on their podcast. It basically, well, here two organize this. You don't need this. It shows you all the subscriptions you have. Oh yes, I hear them talking about that. Yeah, ye, and that because I know I have some I know I've signed up for some stuff that's out there, and it kind of just helps you right away delete everything and like get your money sorted. Yeah, and so maybe that's a goal for me as well. But yeah, it's still it's the tenth though.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, It's okay, everybody, Just yeah. This episode is wide releasing on the tenth, which means that in two days we will be in beautiful Indianapolis at Helium, so come see us. Tickets are at That's messed Up live dot com. Also you can get tickets for our Northeast dates at the end of the month, which are Philly on the nineteenth, New York on the twentieth, Boston on the twenty first, and Hartford on the twenty second, and then also Vancouver in February for the just for Last festival that's in Vancouver.
Speaker 4: So yep.
Speaker 1: Any of our tickets will always be at That's messed Up live dot com. And we'd love to see you guys. Our live shows are really fucking fun, and you guys are half of what makes that fun.
Speaker 4: And I would say we're the other half and the not shows on your table or the third half.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the the nachos are the fifth character INSECX and the City.
Speaker 2: And hopefully by next episode, Caara has watched White Lotus.
Speaker 4: I will. That's my fucking resolution.
Speaker 1: If I don't watch White Lotus by the time like we record our next episode, I'm gonna I don't know what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 4: It's making me crazy.
Speaker 2: Oh you know what, we haven't talked about that. I would love to hear about picking up the Christmas tree with the kids. I mean, we'll have to like catch up on what happened over the holidays later. But yeah, how was picking up the tree? How was going to the gardens for the lighting?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 4: How is that?
Speaker 1: It was so cute, Like we had a cute little day. We went and picked out a tree. We get a real tree because I love a real tree. I love the movie It's makes my house smell. And Rosie picked out one that was crazy, and I go, okay, we'll get that one. And then we got a different one. And because you know, she can't tell once it's strapped to the top of the car, what was crazy about it? All the branches were super floppy. It was like a weird green color. I was like, of course you want this one. You're so like the off the wall. So like I just was like, yeah, sure, well that one, and then that's not the one we got. But then she actually this was the first year, she's three and a half. This is the first year she really like helped me string the lights hung ornaments herself and Oscar, I will say, was psychotic the first day, knocking everything off the tree. And now he's really like we go, no tree, and he's really stopped. He's really holding himself back, and I really appreciate that. I'm like obsessed with Oscar right now. I love that Oscar as a cat. Yeah he is, He's a full cat. I'm really obsessed with him right now. He's talking so much, he's repeating so many things. He's so smiley, he runs around. He can like really communicate with us right now, and he's like just melting my little heart every day. But we took them to the lights. Discancer Gardens is this place in LA that has like botanical gardens kind of and they do this huge like light display thing. It's at night. It's called Enchanted. It's very beautiful, and we took them. A lot of my friends go and just like take mushrooms and walk around. It's like really cool to go without kids too. But then we take kids at five point thirty and you can get a drink and walk around with a glass of wine or like they have these like spiced mules.
Speaker 4: Talks.
Speaker 2: Still have not brought me there. Once you both have like a yearly membership, and not once have I been brought to the gardens.
Speaker 1: I'll take you, but you gotta come to the nighttime stuff is fun. The daytime. It's like, I don't know, what are you gonna like, come look at turtles with us and our kids. Maybe you want to You're wrocome many time.
Speaker 2: I do love turtles, but I know I want to do the nighttime win Enchanted.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, next year, you're coming to Enchanted with us. Okay, But I thought Oscar would just say in his seat he was obsessed. He was because there's all this stuff where you can like step on lights and they change colors, and he was going fucking nuts. I swear to God, that place is miles wide. He walked the entire thing himself, like pumped. He went into a huge group of elderly people and went hi, and they all started laughing, and that scared him and so he started crying. It was like a really funny day, but you know, just fun little Christmas things with my kids. And now that this is right before Christmas, you know, guys know we're on the time machine, as we always are. This is right before Christmas, and now I'm finally gonna next week to like figure out, you know what Santa's bringing my children, and we'll see.
Speaker 4: Rosie wants a gun that shoots toys.
Speaker 1: Does anyone know what that means? I think it's a NERF gun, but I can't be sure. Maybe just get her a T shirt cannon or something. No, like, maybe just get her a T shirt cannon, a T shirt cannon for kids.
Speaker 4: I can't, Well, because you're not into guns. You're not into guns, So I'm trying to, like exactly, I'm trying to, like, maybe a cannon.
Speaker 2: She also doesn't need to get exactly what she asks for, exactly exactly.
Speaker 1: She's asking for a lot of wild stuff, and she says Santa can make anything. She did yell at me because I said, oh, I hope Santa can find that, and she goes Santa makes all the stuff, like what are you talking about? Like, I love she talks to me like I'm an idiot all the time, and it's really funny. I bet it'll be funny for approximately six more months and that he'lp you like stop it, but yeah, what else is well?
Speaker 2: You also posted this meme about however, like how people are always like, oh, you don't know how terrible it it has to have kids, But then no one ever preps.
Speaker 1: You for all the great things. Yeah, I put if that is true.
Speaker 2: Because isn't the whole thing where people are too like it's the best, it's the best, and then you have a kid and you're like, why did no one warn me about this stuff?
Speaker 4: And that's what I thought the reality was.
Speaker 2: So I was interested in that meme of like or the good things just better than you anticipated.
Speaker 1: Well, let me clarify because this is a quote from Rob Delaney. He's a famous comedian actor and he wrote a book. He's had the loss of a child in his life, and he wrote this book called A Heart That Works. He is a stand up comedian actor, very funny guy, and he's had the loss of a child but has other children as well and just talks about parenthood and stuff and I think that whole situation is life.
Speaker 4: And he posted this.
Speaker 1: Someone posted this quote from a thing that said, you know, he says whenever he meets people that are having babies, he says, or they're about to have it of their first kid, and they say, I'm nervous. He goes you've got this. I'm so happy for you. You're prepared for all the bad stuff. You know what it's like to be tired, you know what it's like to be in physical pain, you know what it's like to worry about money. What nobody prepares you for is how wonderful it can be. Like, and that's I'm misquoting it. You have to the quotes out there somewhere, But I do think that's true. I feel like it opens your heart up in a way that you just haven't felt before. But I also think that how hard it is is downplayed for a lot of people, Like because you're right too, you know you're right too. Like there's definitely times where I'm like wow, Like I just didn't realize this was going to fucking change my life so much. You honestly can't be prepared for how much it's going to change your life. But I do think that it really resonated with me, like wow, Like sometimes I just like look at them and I just love them so much, and I'm like, Wow, I just didn't know I had that in me.
Speaker 2: You know, Yeah, this is such a left turn, but I opened for Rob Delaney years and years and years ago in Milwaukee at Turner Hall, and it was like a really exciting thing. I drove up from Chicago. It was like a big It was like it's a thousand seats or something like that or eight high. Like it was like a big deal for me. And I had opened for a few people there, but it was a really cool venue. And as I walk out, I don't know if I've told you this before, everyone was chanting Rob Rob Rob, and then they saw me and they all started to boo. And so I walked out to like a thousand people fully booing me.
Speaker 4: Shut the fuck up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's wrong with that audience?
Speaker 4: They wanted rob baby? I don't know.
Speaker 1: I also think people are mob mentality people. And one guy fucking started booing and everybody followed like, yeah, that's so crazy, And I'm sorry that's your memory of him.
Speaker 4: I mean, no, he was great.
Speaker 2: We talked about Wicked, we talked about life. I mean, he was so nice backstage. I have no notes for him as a human backstage, and after the show, he stood in the back and met every single person at.
Speaker 1: That show and said, hey, if you don't mind, would you please boom my opener On the way out, and that's what happened.
Speaker 2: And I think I said something like, can you guys just like let me do my jokes at least, or like I said something like but in my yeah. But that's what's so great about comedy is you do get humbled yea often constantly.
Speaker 1: You can't feel too good about yourself for too long, the scales will rebalance.
Speaker 2: It's really good. No, I have nothing bad to say about him, and you know what a loss. And I'm not glad. It is positive or good that he was able to write this book and hopefully help people that need to read something like this.
Speaker 1: I think he has like a lot of beautiful insights about this and like also somebody being a comedian, like I definitely think sometimes he poststuff and I just like start crying looking at his Instagram because I can't imagine what he's gone through, like his I don't know what it is about him, but there's something about because I've I've met him and I followed all his work for a long time, and like there's just something about like I don't know if I can read the book.
Speaker 4: I truly don't know if I can read the book.
Speaker 1: I think it might be too hard for me, But that quote, I don't know, it's spoke to me for a second, and I posted it and people have been agreeing with me. Some people are and like I said it, I'm like, it's clearly a repost not only not my Instagram, but it's also someone else's quote. But yeah, what do you think? Should we get rolling into today's episode? It's such a jumbo one and it's so good and I don't want to wait any longer before you guys see our big surprise guest.
Speaker 4: At the end. Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 2: Let's go, all right, So tonight we're doing Home Invasions, Season thirteen, Episode fourteen. Now we open up on the IANBGHD Sports Network and it's New York versus Alabama. They couldn't be at least a little realistic with this. What does E NBG even stand for? Not a sport in the name? Maybe basketball, but what's the G? Like, I don't know, college, Like I'm trying to figure out this network and the like when New York would play Alabama?
Speaker 4: Ever, like NYU doesn't do sports? What is this? What is this? Yeah? College? Yeah in Alabama? You're right, that's so weird.
Speaker 2: It's so weird and I just am so curious what the network stands for. If you guys have any ideas, please write us and let us know what e MBG could be. For college university, I can't not even one.
Speaker 4: Word is popping out because the basketball would be yeah, because like NYU, they don't have any sports. I don't know, but they're not good. I mean they're not.
Speaker 2: They would they would never be televised, right, No, maybe they would be, but like I just feel Alabama called. They don't have a professional sports team, so college is all they have. So even if they're not like a popular state or something like, people go there to play sports.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I don't think Columbia plays. Colombia has sports, but they don't play like televised I don't think anyway. No, they're probably playing the other dork IVY leagues or whatever playing.
Speaker 4: Well, that's why Northwestern is bad.
Speaker 2: I someone told me that they don't give athletic scholarships without academic grades, like you have to be super smart.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, and so that's why they are not that good.
Speaker 1: I think, yeah, because like one of the biggest morons of my school went to Columbia for football, and I was like how are you going to an ivyleague school?
Speaker 4: Like you can barely string a sentence.
Speaker 2: I mean, I'm not trying to be judgmental, but it is really hard, I think, to be an amazing academic athlete and be an athlete athlete. It's like our when do you find the time as a high school kid? So whatever, that's of course, we do a five minute intro on this sports network that's not even fucking real, so you're like, who's watching TV? It's a man drinking beer in sweatpants. Next to Tim is a young teen and she was also an episode Bombshell where her dad is in love with Rose McGowan, who's actually in love with her own twin brother.
Speaker 4: So that is who she is.
Speaker 1: Lisa's obsessed with her straight across eyebrows, and when we've talked about Bombshell and live shows, she's always like, just calls her straight across eyebrows.
Speaker 4: Her eyebrows are so of this era. We were all.
Speaker 2: Guilty of overplucking, taking out arches to just set her a six.
Speaker 4: She's just a victim of her time.
Speaker 2: Her real name is Lauren Kelly and she quit acting in twenty thirteen, so hope she's well. A mom in blonde highlights with a Rachel type haircut is in the living room too, but she's using a chair and then the ottoman as a desk Manila envelopes her out.
Speaker 4: She's working.
Speaker 2: The teen is over the game and she gets up to go study, and her dad won't let her study. A truly Homer Simpson like, you're my good luck charm, and he forces her back down onto the couch. The doorbell rings and he's stuffing his face with snacks and beer and he tells his wife, like, go open the door, and before he can even say the rest, she goes, yeah, yeah, two minutes left in the game.
Speaker 4: So she gets up in.
Speaker 2: Her dress shirt and belt in the home, like, babe, put on a sweatpant.
Speaker 4: What are we doing? What are we doing? I don't want to relax?
Speaker 2: Yeah uh uh oh okay, I'll even like suspend my disbelief that you're wearing denim in the house but with a belt.
Speaker 4: I just don't understand.
Speaker 2: So she grabs her wallet and walks up to the door, expecting the Chinese food they order to be there, but instead it's a man in a classic bad guy ski mask Boom boom, he shoots her twice. Fuck, So we cut straight tomorrow Rollins discussing what they're gonna eat. So they're also debating Chinese or Italian. And I think they're like on and off in this episode. You know, they're like in fucking vibes. I feel like, yeah, or too early.
Speaker 5: I don't.
Speaker 1: I think it might be too early because I don't think. I don't think that they do anything until he's fully separated from Maria. But to get an idea of the Rowlins tomorrow timeline because it feels weird. But I remember like rooting for them, Well, they're both hot.
Speaker 4: Why not.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was like, they should get together. They're cute, they get the job, like I don't know, well.
Speaker 4: And they're both annoying.
Speaker 2: We were both anti that this was like, yeah, season thirteen is rough because Maloney had just left and I don't think we were ready to usher in the new squad. Like at the end of the day, I gave it up for a few years then had to come back and because I couldn't. But this is a this is a trying time for SVU fans, and so they were both annoying. They both broke rules, they both seemed kind kind of selfish and slutty and batabang bata boom as they say, So Craigan stops them from leaving. They're not gonna have Chinese or Italian. Because there's a shooting in Yorkville. Two fatalities confirmed, so too who survived.
Speaker 4: We'll find out. Rollins is like, okay, but why.
Speaker 2: Is SVU going This is just a shooting And it's because it's the home of Joan Eckhouse, who is chief counsel for the New York Gay Rights Coalition, and Live and Finn are going to meet them on the scene. The mom is dead, liv says, messy crime scene while walking past the dead mom, and Amaro said, the delivery guys saw them and called it in. There's no force entry, no sign of robbery, nothing. So then the killer moved into the living room to the husband and daughter before they could react. The dad is killed and there's like loose popcorn stuck to the blood around him. It's like a really messy crime scene, as Olivia said. And then the daughter, fourteen Emmy, is in surgery with a bullet in her head, so we're hoping that she makes it.
Speaker 4: A tech hands tomorrow.
Speaker 2: I think like shells or bullets or something in a bag and they found them in the wall, and she goes, good luck finding down finding out what happened, so she thinks it's like a complicated situation as well. Amaro recognizes the bullet and says it's a Winchester three five seven sig. Does that mean anything to you?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 2: No, yeah, but he says it's one way to send a message.
Speaker 4: Then we see Live on the wall.
Speaker 2: Behind Live, there's spray patent on the wall queers in black with a line through it, and Benson's like, I've seen my share of hate crimes, but execution of a whole family that's a extreme. And Rollins is with her best friend, Finn, with a teen boy and his dad and they run up to the house because they heard sirens and they're because everyone okay, and it's Emmy's boyfriend. He wants to know what happened. They say, Emmy's at the hospital. He turns and goes, are you happy now, dad? It's all your fault. So Rollins and Finn look confused as the sun runs off and the dad follows his son, and we're at the credits with a nice little cliff hanger up there. So we're back at the crime scene as people are carrying out the bodies, and the boyfriend's telling Rollins and Benson how Emmy was supposed to come over. Emmy sounds like Emmy Melinda Warner like kind of hard or not.
Speaker 1: Was supposed to go study with her teen boyfriend and her his dad said Noah.
Speaker 2: So Emmy was supposed to go come over and study. The dad made him cancel. He's like, I hate that I was grounded, but my dad loves teaching me a lesson all the time.
Speaker 4: Oh, it is a lesson.
Speaker 2: And he says that Emmy comes over off in his study, but his father saw her as a distraction.
Speaker 4: And they've been together eight months.
Speaker 2: They weren't fucking because Emmy took the abstinence pledge. And it's like, well, did you, sir, did you take an abstinence pledge or did only the girls have to do that? So the dad's talking to Finn and Rollins and says he knew the dad's Sydney, but not the mom because Joan was always working on her gay thing. They asked how the dad felt about the teens dating. He says they were on the same page that the kids were way too intense, and he said a month ago there was a cop car parked outside their apartment, but he has no idea why, and like he really got no information about it. So they have no info. So we head to the gay rights coalition. They're talking to a woman in the office about how her and Joan were working towards the gay marriage bill and so they got lots of hate mail and threats, and there's a record of threats she'll gladly hand over. But Tomorrow's looking at all the frame photos in the office taking it in. When the coworker, like you know, starts off again giving more information, She's like, she was super spooked last month. They had a lot of calls, hang ups, and they felt like a car was following her. An Emmy and Benson asks if that's why the police were there a month ago, and the lady's like, no, Joan didn't tell me about that. And then Tomorrow actually pops in after taking in all the photos and is like, wait, you're the public face of it, this organization. It seems like all the press, all these photos are you. Why would they attack Joan? She starts to cry and she says it's probably to get to me, okay, self centered, and then admits that her and Joan were involved. Ah done done, and they're like, okay, who would have been jealous? And she says, no, no, no, she was the love of my life. We were just waiting for Emmy to get a little bit older, to leave Sydney and then we were gonna get married. And she cries and drops her head in her hand. And this is like such like confusing teaching. And I know, olden times, they just didn't know stuff olden times aka Season thirteen. But why do people why do parents think their kids would rather parents fight and hate each other and have no physical affection and live separate lives, Like why do parents think that's better?
Speaker 1: I know, the whole staying together for the kids thing is wild to me. Like I had a friend who I had to like counsel about this when I was like twenty eight and like had not even had kids, and he was like, I just like my wife and I don't get along, we never have sex, we hate each other basically, and they had three kids, and I was like, so, why don't you bray he's like the kids and I'm like, do you think this is a good way to show your kids what marriage looks like? I just don't get it. But I know it's more complicated than that. I know there's like finances and other things that have to be considered and living situations.
Speaker 2: But I just it's just not better. You're just setting up bad examples and then your kids are gonna stay in bad I just like, Emmy's a teen and it's I just I really don't get it. But yeah, the finances. I didn't think about the finances, but it seems like she had the money.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm just saying in general, when we talk about this, in general, it's not always easy to just be like, yep, let's walk out and end it. You know.
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's like more complicated things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but when people are like, well, we just don't like each other at all and we're just staying together for the kids, and like, I don't get that, Like that seems like your whole family life is based on a charade.
Speaker 4: But well yeah, and it's just like you only have there.
Speaker 2: Kat Cohen has like a funny lyric or line in one of her shows where she goes, am I gonna spend my one like good life to live, being mad at my arm fat or something like that, where it's just like you have one life, like what are you doing wasting? But okay, at least she's getting fucked on the side by this woman. So anyways, then comes in Isaiah Whitlock. I can't believe it, and he's the guy that goes she and he is walking and talking with Rollins and Finn saying how this is going to fuck up their stats. So I'm assuming he's homicide and Finn is like, let's get it done, and he says that SVU will have the lead and they'll help it anyway they can. But when Rollin says they want to talk to Martinez and Parker, He's like, why, what do you want with them? And Finn's like, well, they get went to the eck Cart house about a month ago and we need scoop. He's like, well, those two are not in my department anymore. They were moonlighting for a bookie, so we can't have that, and we let them go.
Speaker 4: Their boxes are on the desk. They didn't even come back for it.
Speaker 2: We cut to Craigan with Benson and Tomorrow asking if there are any updates on the girl's condition. Benson says, the bullet is removed and she's in a drug induced coma right now, but they're not going to know how she is until the swelling goes down, and they're like, what about boyfriend and dad. Benson responds to Craigan that these kids seems super in love, but the dads were not for it, and they looked through the emails between the fathers to confirm those feelings. So Craigan then asks what about the coalition threatless And they're like it's all anonymous hate mail and phone calls, and Craigan's like, yeah, that's a huge jump from like you're a dumb bitch to executing a full family. Amorro says that Jones's partner did tell her that she thought someone was stalking her, so Craigan asks to like, is anyone jealous of the affair. They're like no, no, no, they were really fucking discreet. So Rollins then finally is like, maybe I found something.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: There's a report responding to the eck House residence. It was a domestic employee incident where a housekeeper, Carmen Vesquez, claimed that Sydney had assaulted her and he told the officer that she had been stealing jewelry.
Speaker 4: Amarro's like, I don't think this.
Speaker 2: Housekeeper is just going to like cap everyone in the house, Like this is not I don't understand. So Finn's like, yeah, but her brothers just got out six months after doing four years for armed robbery and assault. So Finn and Rollins go back to the carts to take ca a log of valuables and see if the brother could have been tipped off by the housekeeper and like stolen stuff. And tomorrow and Benson are going to go visit the Vesquez family. And who is it? It's Orange is the New Black Star Elizabeth Rodriguez who plays how do you say this name?
Speaker 4: Alaida? I think is how you said her name in the show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and she plays Alida Diaz who's Dya's mom and Diya's the one who gets pregnant with porn stash and ends up becoming a cold hearted bitch and yeah, but so Alida is amazing, and she has an extensive resume, and she's been working for a very long time and she's great in this episode and she's like we've been praying for her how is Emmy. She's like she was a daughter to me. I've been taking care of her since I was two months old, so you know, since she was two months old? Yeah, yeah, what did I say? Since I was two months old? An amazing baby. But they bring up her departure and she was just like, yay, I left because Emmy had school and plans and activities and I needed more money in ours. And Amara was like, babe, honey, are you sure it didn't have to do with the police, And she snaps in an instant and is pissed off.
Speaker 4: It's like, I never stole any jewelry.
Speaker 2: I would never, and Benson is being a little passive aggressive and he's like, well, nobody said that you did, and she's like, well, Sydney said I did, but he was fucking lying. Joan had a benefit and she couldn't find her earrings and she's like, I was there for fourteen years.
Speaker 4: And he gets into trouble and he blames me, and.
Speaker 2: She's like, and the cop took his side and I had to keep my mouth shut. And Benson's like, slow down, so on what kind of trouble And she's like, he pawned those fucking earrings himself. He was a gambler and owed big and sold off his autograph baseball cards already and his watch. And they're like, Joan didn't know about any of this, and she's like, you know, they lived together, but they lived apart. And Benson says, I'm sorry, but we have to ask you where were you Friday? And she said Bible study, like most people are, you know, on Friday nights.
Speaker 4: And they were like, well, what about your brother?
Speaker 2: And he actually leads the sessions and he turned his life around. He found God. And so it cuts to a little dinky church. It has nice wooden flowers but haphazard curtains. This is like this is a makeshift church, I would say. And he's leading a prayer for Emmy and he loves Emmy and he's a very aggressive, prey guy like he is. He's very Mary Cosby Salt Lake City, if you guys are followers of that, and he clocks the cops, he nods at them.
Speaker 4: He knows what's up.
Speaker 2: So he's like, let me finish the song, well, we'll talk later, and he knows why they're there, and he's glad someone's fighting for Emmy since she's an angel. He says, you know, he was on Bible study with six other members of the congregation and they can all vouch for him. And he's like a lot of them have records too, though, but we're all on.
Speaker 4: A righteous path. And this is the thing.
Speaker 2: I think mega churches are like fucking gross obviously, but this shitty church too. It's like I don't trust, Like, if God liked you, like, would you have a better church? Like what's worse a shitty church or a megachurch? Probably a mega church is worse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because they're taking the money to like I don't know. I'm sure a shitty church is like putting the money to good use.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to the electric bill.
Speaker 2: I don't know if they have any oversight, I mean any what is it profit at the end? Yeah, I think megachurches are worse. But it's like I want a nice church, but simple design. Like I don't know Benson's life, but I just like, as a follower, i'd be like, yeah, weird. I wonder why my leader can't get it together. Okay, So Benson goes, I'm glad you're all being good. You do have to name names, and he said, anything for that girl that's my angel, and they asked when he met Emmy.
Speaker 4: He goes, meet her.
Speaker 2: I've known her since she was a baby. I taught her how to ride a bike. So they were very close with the family before the arrest. And he says, and after Emmy wrote me and would visit me, people desert you after you go away by not her, And they're like, well, did she ever tell you about her home life? And he goes, oh, the father, that man wasn't right. He'd even have that girl place bets for him and he would get wasted and send her to the bar to send bets.
Speaker 4: So they go to a bar I really love the name called Murfin Surfs Pub. That's cute.
Speaker 2: We hear an Irish accent. He says, whatever happened to the NYPD? Did all the white guys retire? And he's like, nah, I'm all for affirmative action. And Finn's like, we're here to talk about one of your former clients and he responds. He responds with a fart noise, and the caption said blowing raspberries got a saying, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like blowing raspberries is when you go like on a little kid's tummy or something. It's like giving them a raspberry, you know. Yeah, it's anyway. This guy also, for anyone who's like me, a Sons of Anarchy head, he was in the gang on Sons of Anarchy.
Speaker 4: That's why he's so hot. I was like, this guy's hot.
Speaker 2: Of course, Sons of Anarchy just like booking all the hotties. Yeah, the white Lotus of the early two thousands made all the hotties. I mean, I don't know when all Star stopped talking and bragging about knowing Meghan Fahie. She probably has long forgotten about us, but I'm just like, so, Meghan, she doesn't respond when I message, what's this hotties' name? Did he play a biker? An Irish biker? Did you have an accident there?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, because like and then down the line there's like a connect with like Northern Ireland and like guns coming over from there. He has a whole storyline with that, and yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, nice, Amorro's like, my four year old knows better than that.
Speaker 4: That's not even a burn. No one cares.
Speaker 2: But anyways, and then this man starts pouring salt on his hand, like I don't know what Murph is up to, Amorro gets aggressive and is like, Emmy, she was here either placing bets or drinking underage, whichever one you want to go down for.
Speaker 4: Let's go Bubbs.
Speaker 2: So now Amorrow and Benson are sitting with him in interrogation, flipping through files like, damn, I guess serving miners alcohol is just the tip of the iceberg.
Speaker 4: He has felonious assaults.
Speaker 2: He broke a man's legs and arms, He's cracked a man's skull with a baseball bat, and then he curbs stomped a dude. But Tomorrow's like describing what a curb stomp is. And we've all seen American History Act. We don't need like how too. But he has two pages of crimes and buchanans defending him.
Speaker 4: So big bucks, big bucks, and no morals.
Speaker 2: Benson says it's dangerous owing you money, huh, And he says these are very good stories. But you know what else is good? Twilight? They say it's just for tweens. But I do love those vampires. I love that. That's like the biggest thing. Buchanan lets them know that there are no convictions, just charges.
Speaker 4: So let's go, like we're out of here.
Speaker 2: And Benson splays out the crime scene photos and he's like, there's a fourteen year old girl fighting for her life and two dead parents, so nobody is gonna wriggle out of this one. And the Irish says, that's horrible. Buchanan's like, listen, he didn't commit these crimes, none of the two pages, Like, he's not involved with everything al and even if all those crimes on the two pages were him, none of them involved a gun and every victim survived, so it's outside of like, you know, the what is it signature? And then also serve an alleged bookie no purpose. A dead man pays no debts, so they've been gotten. Good points are made. Buchanan's worth all the money. Finn is also not making waves in the case. He says all six for six in the Bible studies say they were there the whole time with Jimmy, And what about the jewels that were missing? And Rollin says they track the jewels to the pawn shop on the Lower East Side and all the tickets were in Sydney's name. Craigan's like, damn okay, hopefully Benson and tomorrow we're onto something so he turns around to leave, and walking into the precinct center desk area is Buchanan with his bookie client, and while Finn and Rollins are brainstorming about like what about the boyfriend?
Speaker 4: What about this?
Speaker 2: What about that, Rollins starts talking about a dog park, and then the bookie clocks Rollins and Rollins looks worried and panicked and he smiles at her. Finn asks what was that smile? And Rollins turns around and goes jealous, and she's holding in her panic. But the bitch was panicking. She is panicking. Yeah, So now Rollins is filling up her gas tank of her big ass truck and grabs her receipt and as she turns around, bam, giant punch into the stomach by the Irish guy. And then Officer Parker is there too, and the Irish guy looks like, wow, it looks like the two of you have something in common, meaning like bad cops, and Parker picks her up, and then the Irish punches her in the stomach again. Parker kneels down as he tells her, why are you laughing? Because you just keep calling him the Irish? It's so funny. Parker kneels down and tells her, you're in deep to the wrong guy's sweetheart. I hope you're not dumb enough to talk to your captain. And the Irish says, if you do, you won't see us coming. You'll just be gone, you understand.
Speaker 4: She nods.
Speaker 2: He calls her a good girl, and that's a trend on the internet right now.
Speaker 4: Do you know about this?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 2: I feel like the youth are talking about, like who they want to call them a good girl? And who would be disgusting if they said, like, you're a good girl. Oh yeah, that's like what the internet's doing these days. So she barely can bring herself up. She breathes so hard she's in pain. Obviously, there was a commercial break on NBC. Okay, like our detective gets punched, there's a break.
Speaker 1: God, those punches are so intense too, likeugh, it's like full, doubled over and unable to breathe, like awful punches.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's like Murph working out, you know what I mean? Like, how do you get so good at punching? Finn walks behind Rollins at a bar and says, and she's like thanks for coming. She's like I got a problem, and Finn says that Murphy guy, right, like he's been a detective for decades. Rollins, You're not gonna catch one on him. She explains, back home, it was just football, pools and Cuba the derby. She likes the action, but it wasn't serious. But since she's been to New York, it's gotten out of control. And she's twenty k in and the juice every week? Is that interest?
Speaker 4: The juice? Probably the juice, okay? Or yeah?
Speaker 1: Or maybe like money to keep going, like keep I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 2: Finn asks if he always knew that she was a cop, and she's like, no, no, no, no, she told him she was a bartender. And not only that, she like checks him out and like saw where he made the payoffs and like then followed Murphy to a social club in Hell's Kitchen and Finn knows it's a bookie joint and she dug around and the boss's name is McCourt and I guess he's a really scary guy. And she says Murphy knocked her around and threatened her, and Parker was with him, and Finn is like, they hate you, Are you okay? And she said, okay, we got we got an update.
Speaker 4: Juice.
Speaker 2: Juice in sports betting is the cut of bookie takes from every bet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it sounds like it's probably like weekly interest or something also called the yeah, the vague.
Speaker 2: Yeah damn okay, But why do you need bookies? They have to take the bets? Oh, because they have the pot. Yeah whatever. I think it's easier. I don't think people need bookies anymore. I think you can ruin your life online really easily.
Speaker 1: Yeah more online, Yeah, yeah, you don't need to get punched by an irishman at the gas station. So but I like, also I wonder if online you can't go as far either, because like your credit card can only like will max out at a certain point, right, Like if it's all online, like in real life, you can be like okay, I can get some earrings or I can like you know whatever, then you can just fucking keep going and maybe online like curbs it a little bit more because it's all like like virtual money or credit you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was weird because when I went to the horse track, there was just like a group of men at the TVs yelling like they didn't even care about the horses, like they didn't want to see. They weren't there for like an ambiance, like let you shore the races, Like they were just inside huddled with their tickets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they weren't like I love to watch these majestic animals race. It was like give me my money or yeah, I'm about to lose my car.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I do love that.
Speaker 2: Finn is very protective of Rollin's, you know, He's just like, are you okay?
Speaker 4: What do we gotta do? He cares so much.
Speaker 2: And then she goes, anything else you want to know about your new partner, and she swigs her beer and Finn goes, Okay, here's the deal.
Speaker 4: We'll take the creeps off the street and we let them know who the hell we are.
Speaker 2: Then you have to you have to come clean to the captain, and then dramatic music plays. We cut to a sting operation at the booky place and Murphy is there and a lot of other whites and Parker and Tomorrow cuffs his ass and they actually went.
Speaker 4: To the academy together L O. L.
Speaker 2: Murphy tries to sneak away out the back, but Finn gets him and punches him in the gut. And goes, you know what this is for, right, and he says, sure, but tell your girlfriend. She's going to be very sorry. And Finn is like, okay, is that a threat to a detective? And he goes, Detective, that bitch is a degenerate. Your girl's sick. And he busts his face onto the bar and Murphy bleeds out.
Speaker 4: Of his mouth, and I fucking love it.
Speaker 1: This is where this is sort of like a It's like a baby curb stomp. It's like, not full teeth, it's just like a head slam onto a table.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I bet Finn went to the strip after this day to blow off some steam.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's also like that gift that they have, or it's not a gift, but it's like a TikTok of Olivia Benson slamming that guy's head and it's set to like it's like Haull of bat Girl, and it's just Benson over and over against smacking a guy's head.
Speaker 2: The Internet and the joy it brings me. I know there's a lot of horrible stuff, but the memes are so funny and good, and I love the ones where they do music to people falling off hot tubs. Or like a horse on a plastic slide, like I love the integration of music and accidents.
Speaker 4: Of cinematic accidents. Yeah yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Amaro calls Spin into the court's office and he's and he says, big mistake, opens the drawer to the side desk and goes, I want to end this and tomorrow was like, you're gonna bribe us. He's like, nah, I got enough, dirty cops. I actually don't need any more. But these envelopes are in a drawer and one says Crosby and that's Sydney's code name, and he's like, open it. And the night he died, his team actually made a miracle comeback, so we had a bunch of money ready for him night he died. And Finn is like, so you're mad he won, and he's like, nah, if he won, he would just lose it to me again, Sidney was a gift that kept on giving. Why would I want to kill him? Good point? So do bookies never murder?
Speaker 1: I think that at worst they would murder someone in your family like dead men pay no debts. But like what if they kill your wife, your brother?
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like to send a message or hurt those people, but I don't think they kill you if you.
Speaker 4: Owe the money. Damn.
Speaker 2: So now it's Rollin's and Finn in the office, and Rollins is like, damn, so these guys didn't kill them and we're back to fucking zero. But Finn is like, that doesn't change what you have to do, and she puts her hot tea down on the desk and she walks into Craigan's office ready to confess. She thanks Finn very sincerely one last time. So they both enter Craigan's office and he's just hanging up the phone. Emmy's out of a coma, so she's awake. Craigan's gonna meet Benson and tomorrow there now saved by the Koma.
Speaker 4: Girl waking up. Okay, like this is perfect.
Speaker 2: So we're now at the hospital, all the doctors filling our peeps in. The bullet went through Emmy's skull, but she's good, her brain functions intact, her vitals are coming back, and she's a tough and very lucky girl.
Speaker 4: She's chatting a nose who she.
Speaker 2: Is and the surroundings, but they don't know if she's gonna have any other memory or brain issues. Nobody has visited her besides the staff. The boyfriend's been in the waiting room the past few days, but they haven't let him in yet. No one's gone in there, so the doctor brings in the detectives. Olivia and Lamarro slowly approach Emmy like she's a gazelle and they're like a nature photographer and they're speaking in very soft tones. They fill her in that they're trying to figure out what happened last night, and she asks where her mom and dad are and Benson's like, well, okay, first, Ione wanted to ask you what was the last thing you remember? And she's like, I remember feeling angry because she couldn't go to her boyfriend Rob's house because his father said no. And she remembers watching basketball with her father, and she remembers nothing else. And again she asked where her parents are. The violins start thumping and they're dead. Okay, they're dead, she asked. She goes are the dad? Benson says, yes, I'm very sorry. Emmy's in a bandage with tubes in her nose and she's like who would do this?
Speaker 4: And h and why?
Speaker 2: And Tomorrow's like, we're trying to figure it out, and she's like, where is Rob?
Speaker 4: Please? I want Rob? I want Rob.
Speaker 2: Tomorrow actually has a question for the doctor and is like, hey, babe, why do you have her on anti virals? And she she spills the beans is this not a hip of violation, not just anti.
Speaker 1: But she says she's not gonna say something, and they say this could this could affect our investigation.
Speaker 4: And that's when she spills.
Speaker 2: Okay, but even still it's like maybe it's because she's underage and it could be abuse, but like, yeah, I was really shocked when she's spilled like this beans.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, no parents or guardian nearby, Like yeah, but I think she thought they told her it was like material to the investigation.
Speaker 4: So she's so she's spilled. Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So basically the surgery triggered to herpies outbreak. So they react like excuse me, what, like we all are viewers of this since she did sign this abstinence stock and the doctor's like, you know, this actually isn't that unusual for sexually active fourteen year old girls And they're like, yeah, but she said that she wasn't fucking. So they go to visit the Fisher apartment and the dad is like, my son is not fucking and does not have herpes, and Benson goes, has he been tested? And it's like no, but he had a check up, like I'm assuming the herpes would have come up. He's also fourteen. He still plays with Pokemon cards. And Benson asks, well, could emmy have had other boyfriends? And the dad's like, you have to talk to her about that. She told Rob that he was the first person she ever kissed, and Amaro pushes like, do you believe that? He's like, listen, she came on too strong, moved too fast. There's just something super needy about the girl. She was desperate and clung to my son like a barnacle, but he didn't know what her problem was. Benson looks angry. Amoro and Benson are now outside and they're like, okay, absence he mother adolescent girl left alone in the house with their drunk father virgin but as herpes, U wouldn't be the first. And then Benson goes, wouldn't be the first time we tested a corpse for STDs?
Speaker 4: Like, girl, what a job? What a job?
Speaker 2: We cut to Rollins and she has to go speak to Cragan and she starts to talk and Craigan's like, Murphy already routed you out, so shut up. I already called IAB, so he didn't have any leverage on you. They're going to interview you. Anything else I need to know about this? Did you run any plates? What did you do for him? And Rollin says no, I was just gambling. He says, good. Then you're lucky because eventually he would have and you were if you were desperate enough. You understand I really should take your gun and shield right now, and Rollins knows, but he says, I will go to bat for you against IAB if this is truly the extent of it, and she assured him it is. He says, okay, it'll probably be just like a command discipline and I'm going to take ten vacation days from you. But free time isn't your friend, is it? And he asks knowing lee, and Rollins is like, yeah, I think that's part of the problem. And he stands up and walks towards her, and he's like, listen, I get it. I've been where you are. This could really weigh on you. And he starts divulging about his drinking problems. He was like, you know first, like as soon as I was off duty, I would start pounding and then I would just have a few on the job to get through it. And I thought no one noticed, but my captain could have canned my ass, but instead he got me help. And while Rollin's is listening, she says wow and wipes away tears, and he says, you're a good detective, Amanda, and I don't want to end your career, and she says she says, I don't want that either, and he says, I'm gonna get you help, but if you screw up again, you're gone. And perfect acting, perfect crying. There's even snot action. This bitch is killing it. So then Benson and Tomorrow do a knock knock wait for a come in and bursts into the office for gossip on the case and see Amanda visibly crying and they're like, we can come back, but they're like, no, no, no, what's up. So there's a lab report the dad and daughter do have the same strain of herpes. Disappointing, of course, Craigan says, every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's time for little quotes but okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought it was like this seems like a little bit more than on happiness. It's full on criminality. But yeah, okay, thanks for the Instagram quote.
Speaker 2: Craigs, Rollin's, and Benson make an intense eye contact, but nothing is spoken about, and Craigan just says, find out who else knew, So they all leave the office to go back to work and solve some crimes. We're at the hospital and Emmy's still in her big ass bandage, but she's walking outside of her room with a nurse and Tomorrow Sweet. He's like, hell yeah, girl, so happy to see you on your feet, and she says she's feeling better, but like, why are you guys here? Did you find who killed my parents? Benson actually wants to chat about something else, and Benson's in a private room with Emmy and tells her they know what was going on between her and the father, and she tries to deny, and Benson's like, come on, girl, I'm a detective, but she is like no, no, like he wasn't the best dad, but I mean, and Benson stops her and is like it's okay, you don't have to cover for him. Anymore and whatever happened is not your fault, and then asks when it's started. Emmy says, last February they went skiing in Vermont and the mom left early to probably cheat on the dad. So just the two of them that first night, and he had been drinking and Benson asks if it was the like one time, and she goes, no, he drank a lot.
Speaker 4: But then she goes, why does it even matter? He's dead?
Speaker 2: And Benson's like, did you ever tell anyone about this? And she says no, she handled it herself and it's fine, Please stop. Nobody knew, not Rob, nobody. Benson's like, there are people you can talk to and will help you, and She's like, if you want to help me, make sure Rob never finds out. I never want Rob to know. He would be disgusted. Please don't tell him. Benson agrees, and then Benson and Tomorrow walk and talk through the hospital walls.
Speaker 1: Wait, but did you ever notice how dry the girl's lips are? I did, Oh my god, the whole time. Her lips are like cracked in a middle like they were like. I was like, is that the hair and makeup team? Like can they They're like chopped, which would happen if you were like in a surgery, in like a coma for a few days, you know, like unless they're applying lip bomb. And I was like, her lips are so I'm sorry, I just had to point it out. I'm surprised you always have an eye for everything.
Speaker 4: Well, no, maybe I was too busy typing, you know what I mean? Yeah, that's why I.
Speaker 1: Yes too, that's when I was watching more.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So then they're like talking. They're like, do you really think Rob didn't know?
Speaker 2: And she's like covering for him, but they're like yeah, but that doesn't even make sense, like kill the dad, but why are you shooting Emmy?
Speaker 4: And so they're like, let's recheck the forensics.
Speaker 2: So Rollin's and Finn are with Rob and his dad and they're asking about Emmy's dad.
Speaker 4: They're basically like, what more do you want from us?
Speaker 2: And they're like, are you sure you're not telling us something like what about the dad? And he's like, yeah, he was a jerk who drink all day and what do you want? And Rollins keeps pushing and the dad is like what is this about? And Rollins is like, keep going, Rob and ignore the dad, and he explains that after Carmen was fired, Emmy spent all her time over there, and she was very close to Carmen and she was more of a mother than her own mother, and she would visit Carmen and beg her to come back. So Emmy just hated being alone with her dad. And they all make my eyes at each other in silence. And now we're back at the precinct and they got Carmen in the hot seat and they let her know Emmy told us about the father, and we know that you were close and that like she told you, and she goes, he was a sick man and brought evil to the whole house and look what happened because of it. And Benson's like, yeah, and you really really love her and protect her, and she goes, yeah, and that's how you know I couldn't have done this because I would never have like shot her. And while Benson and Finner with her, Rollin's and Tomorrow are with the brother and they're trying to see which one of these two did the crime. Knock knock on the door and Kragan's there with the forensics report and both Sydney and Emmy's DNA were on the bullet removed from Emmy's skull, which means that the like, that's why she probably survived because it didn't have enough oops, like it went through the dad and then into Emmy. And so that's so it was not a purposeful attack on Emmy. And and so then Tomorrow goes, oh, it must be like weighing on our preacher. And so Tomorrow's like, I'm gonna do what cops do best.
Speaker 4: Lie.
Speaker 2: So he goes in there and says, Emmy didn't make it. But to me, it's like if they were so close, wouldn't Emmy have called them from the hospital or when they have visited, you know what I mean, Like they've raised her since she was two months old, and she didn't like message them, like I feel like they know that she's alive. But he says, so he goes, that's not possible Robin's and Rollins goes, yeah, post ops seizure, the post ops seizure. Like, now that's in my head now because of the Andy Carl episode. Oh yeah, you know, we all thought he was gonna be fine and then he wasn't. So that's gonna be in my mind now. From from now on, I will never believe anyone is okay. Amaro pushes the paper with the DNA results and it's gonna and he starts being like, you know, playing with Jimmy and on his weaknesses. There's a little Spanish, a little prayers sprinkled in this.
Speaker 4: He's like, it's.
Speaker 2: Gonna eat at you, Jimmy. You want a lie to the cops, that's okay. But God knows the truth, and he goes Emmy is looking down on YouTube and she knows the truth. And he starts praying, and Tomorrow's like, if you want God to forgive you, you have to forgive yourself to your preacher.
Speaker 4: You know the answer.
Speaker 2: If we confess our sins, then something will cleanse for the wickedness the Bible.
Speaker 4: YadA, YadA.
Speaker 2: He turns Tomorrow and goes, that's John one nine. You're a believer, and he speaks Spanish. They're snot coming out of the brother. We jumped back to Benson and the Sister Nanny and she's like, you don't understand.
Speaker 4: I tried. I went to her mother and she didn't believe it.
Speaker 2: I was just getting back at She thought I was just getting back at Sydney.
Speaker 4: For firing me, and.
Speaker 2: She's like, so it was what is that when you decided with your brother to be heroes and kill them? And she's like, my brother, he didn't know about this, And Finn walks in and says, then, why did your brother just confess to the crime. He planned it all and she goes, no, he's lying. He did that to protect me. She says it was all her idea and Sydney was raping her and she starts to cry, and Emmy was thinking of killing herself.
Speaker 4: We had to save her.
Speaker 2: And it cuts back to the brother talking about the devil and he knows that they're out there because he used to be a devil and that man wasn't right, so he shot him. I saw her. I knew she was there right behind she went down. He cries, he would rather take that bullet. He's like, I'd rather take that bullet myself. She wasn't supposed to be there. He keeps crying, and again she says like she wasn't supposed to be there, and he punches the table and cries into his wrist and rollins is like, she was supposed to be at her boyfriend's right and he's like I know, I know. And Amara's like, well, who told you that, Carmen, And he goes no, no, no no, and they're like, well, how did you know? And everyone stares at each other while more dramatic music plays. You know how they usually say, like New York's the other character in a show, Like the dramatic music is another.
Speaker 4: Violent the other character in the show.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, there's so much drama in this episode. Benson and Tomorrow and Craig in her brain's storming, and Benson's like, maybe she mentioned it to Carmen and passing like small talk, and Tomorrow's like, or she helps set it up, and Craigan's like, we got to find out and see what's up. And Benson's like fine, but like she's a fourteen year old victim of sexual abuse in her own home. And Craigan's like, sure, but there are other ways she could have handled it. Craigan's like, I hope to god she is not involved, but we have to follow through on this, And they all look at each other as they go to torture this girl. Benson walks in and she's still bandaged up and Rob is chilling with her. Amaro closes the door and Benson starts to tell her that they talk to Carmen and Jimmy who confessed to killing the parents, and Robin's like, why would they do that? And Amar's like, wow, okay, he really doesn't know. And it's like, why are you Why are you blowing it? Why does she have to tell him? I don't get why they have a heart on for this, obviously for drama because it's TV. But I'm like, leave her alone. She doesn't have to tell him anything. So they push her to tell Rob the truth about her father, and she goes, it's not your choice, and I agree with her. So then Rob is like, Emmy, what are they talking about? And Benson pulls up a chair and sits down and says, I know this is hard, but there won't be any secrets when this goes to trial, and it will go to trial, and I think it's best if he hears it from you. She cries. She turns to him and says, my dad forgot that I was his daughter, and he's like what does that mean? And she cries and is like, don't make me say it. It was horrible, and Rob is like, why didn't you tell me? I could have helped you, and she's like, well, I wanted to be pure for you.
Speaker 4: I didn't want you to think I was dirty.
Speaker 2: And this is like a very important lesson because this is a huge issue with like purity and abstinence culture is and why young victims don't come forward because it's shameful for them and they think they're dirty. And I just like, this was such a like one sentence moment, but it encapsulates so many issues that we instilled in young people and why this sort of languaging is so fucked up. And then Rob is like, I would never have judged you. I love you no matter what, and Tomorrow is like, well, one thing I didn't get when Jimmy confessed. He kept saying I'm sorry, I'm sorry. She wasn't supposed to be there, and you weren't supposed to be there, were you? And Rob's like, no, she was supposed to be at my house and Emmy's like, it wasn't part of the plan. And then they're like what plan, Emmy, And she goes Carmen and Jimmy were trying to save me. I told them Friday night, my parents will both be home, and she was supposed to be at Rob's house, and she told them to write queers on the wall so the cops would think it's a hate crime. And Omar's like, okay, your father, I get but your mother. And She's like, my father was just pathetic, he couldn't help himself, but my mom I hated her more than him. Benson turns to Tomorrow and says she knew. Emmy cries out she let it happen. Carmen tries to tell her, I tried. Everybody thinks she's some kind of hero, but she was more worried about saving the world than about saving her own daughter. And Tomorrow was like, Emmy, we're gonna have to arrest you. And Rob's like, you can't take her, you can't do this, don't do it. And She's like it's okay, I'm free. I'm free, and they hug and cry. She says I'm free now. Benson looks down. She doesn't want to arrest her. We're now with Rollin's and Craigan walking into a meeting, and he says, you're here, it's the first step, and she smiles. She walks into the meeting as Craigan stares in the doorway, looking and she sits so aggressively manspread style, like totally dangerous minds, like.
Speaker 4: Her legs cand like her legs probably took.
Speaker 2: Four fucking subway seats and that's dick wolf baby. And this is difficult because I don't want anyone going to jail.
Speaker 1: I don't think that this girl will end up going to jail. She's fourteen, and it's not like she paid for it. It was like she just told these adults, like what the schedule was of the household. I feel like any good lawyer would be like able to get her off. And like she was fourteen and she thought this is how I get out of a horrifically abusive situation, Like she'll.
Speaker 2: Go to maybe juvenile and then be out. Yeah, but I don't want Carmen and Jimmy to go to jail either.
Speaker 1: I know, but unfortunately, Yeah, all right, well let's get to this fucking new crime. I wish that they could have just gone to the police maybe, like I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I just wonder if that's not part of Jimmy and Carmen's culture, especially since Jimmy served time and like I don't know where you know, I yeah, and you might they might be raised in a place where you don't you don't involve the cop.
Speaker 1: But they did get six members of the congregation to back him up and say that he was a Bible study.
Speaker 4: They all lied, yeah, or Bible study ended early.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're right here, yeah, right, like his full alibi was like his congregation. I'm obsessed with on Lacey's Scam Goddess podcast how she calls her listeners the congregation.
Speaker 4: I think that's so funny.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, we've got an interesting crime when we come back, so don't go anywhere, and we're back. So this episode is obviously could be based on a lot of things, like if you go to like the wiki or other resources on the internet, it's like the Menendez brothers are listed, Like there are a lot of cases of people who have committed parricide, which is killing your parents. Like I ran in I saw one case where there was a woman named Stacy Ann Lannert who was convicted of the murder of her father Tom in nineteen ninety when she was eighteen, and she testified that he had sexually abusedress since she was eight and that seems similar. She did get life in prison, but then got out after eighteen years, so I'm happy that she was able to get some of her life back.
Speaker 4: So maybe our girl is going to jail, but she was eighteen.
Speaker 1: I don't think fourteen that they're going to send her to like an adult jail, but you know, maybe not.
Speaker 2: And what's the vibe with the Menendez brothers did they? Are they good or bad?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 1: The Menendez brothers claim their parents were molesting them, but apparently there's like not a lot of proof of that and it's something that they came up with like later to.
Speaker 4: Justify like that.
Speaker 1: I watched the whole Ryan Murphy crime story about the Menandez brothers, and that was kind of when I learned more about it because I think the original like media presentation of it at the beginning was that they were just like these two rich boys and they wanted to kill their parents because their parents were like not giving them enough money and they wanted to just like be able to spend and live. And then they said that they were being molested by their parents, So I but I do not know. But also I think that the Menendez brothers did it themselves anyway.
Speaker 2: The they're just my the most fai I bet like people like their parents.
Speaker 4: But I think I'm ready to focus.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in terms of having a third party kill your parents. I think this is more related to the story of Jennifer Pan. And before you all send me a message, I don't that My Favorite Murder has covered this, but it is. Uh, this is a different podcast, and so this and also the Jennifer Pan case was unfolding like right as this episode came out.
Speaker 4: So that's why I think this is what it's more based on.
Speaker 1: Jennifer Pan is the Vietnamese Canadian woman raised by her parents who immigrated to Canada from Vietnam. Her mother's name was Bick Hoppon and her father's name was Hue Han Pon or Pan is the last name, and she was and she had one brother named Felix. So they these people met in Canada, got married, had their two kids, and they worked their fucking asses off. They worked for an autoparts manufacturer near Toronto. They counted every penny until they bought a super nice house, drove like Lexuses and Mercedes, and had two hundred thousand dollars in the bank like they were living like quote unquote like the immigrant success story, you know, and so they were pretty demanding of their kids. Jennifer was like in piano lessons from age four, she was doing figure skating and apparently she was going for Olympics until an injury kind of put a topic in her dream. And now some friends and classmates said that her dad was quote a classic tiger dad, while her mom just kind of like went along with it. But they monitored the kids pretty closely, like no dances, no boys, no parties. And then the pressure apparently really got to Jennifer and she began cutting herself at a young age. She had a classmate named Karen Hoe who wrote a full profile on her for Toronto Life.
Speaker 4: It's in my sources.
Speaker 1: And they had known each other like kind of, you know, peripherally at school, but she knew about her, and she wrote this whole article about the whole story and everything that went on, and I think tried to portray a little bit more of Jennifer's side of things. And they went to mary Ward Catholic Secondary School in North Scarborough, which she said was a great place for Jennifer because at that like academic ambition was like considered cool, like being a nerd was cool, but also being a jock was cool like everybody. It was very like bohemian and everybody was cool, which is wild for a Catholic school. But she said, Jennifer was a social butterfly. She got along with everybody. She'd been a really great student earlier, like maybe in elementary and middle school, but by the time she was in ninth grade, she was like a C student, and she would forge her report cards and make it look like she got straight a's, Like she full exact o knife and glue and like would like you know, photocopy and make like report cards. So when she had eleventh grade, Jennifer met Daniel Wong, who was a great ahead of her, and they were in band together, and he was this like sort of funny, goofball, easygoing kind of guy, and they were just friends until when they were on a band trip she had an asthma attack. Daniel helped calm her down, and she said, quote, he pretty much saved my life, and then they started dating that summer. By her senior year in high school, she's like making bees, but she's still forging report cards to say that she's got all a's. She does get accepted early into Ryerson, which is a unif in Canada, but then she failed calculus and couldn't graduate high school, and so she lost her acceptance there. But she lied to her parents and said that she was going to the school and that eventually she was going to go on and do like a pharmacology study, and that that was her dad's dream for her, that she would become a pharmacist. I think, And so they've such a funny dream to have for somebody.
Speaker 2: It's a cool job, like I have to go to the pharmacy today and pick up a prescription. Very grateful for pharmacists, But for your dream to be for your child to be like hauled up in a little room in the back of a of a Walgreens is funny to me.
Speaker 4: Of the whole world.
Speaker 2: Like you could like you can work everywhere and anywhere, and it's like you better get to the back of the CVS to fulfill my house.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm wondering if maybe he like thought she was gonna could be wanted wanted her to be a doctor. But then does pharmacology require going to medical school or just going to pharmacology school. No, it's a long process, Okay, Because I was wondering if like, yeah, it is weird to specifically be like, yes, pharmacology, I want you in pills, girl, this is where you're gonna shine. Like it's weird, but that is was like what he wanted her to do. So she's like keeping up this ruse. She's fully living a lie.
Speaker 4: This girl.
Speaker 1: Okay, she attended a pre orientation program at the school even though she is not going there. She's forging loan paperwork and telling her dad she's won a scholarship. Like she handles everything when her parents have a question about like what's going on, And she'd pretend to go to school every day. She was actually just going to the library doing random research on like science y stuff and then taking like notebooks full of notes to like keep up with the act in case her dad like asked to see her notes. She also started waitressing and teaching piano lessons on the side, and her dad would ask her about school and this our one article says her mom would say just let her be yourself, and like would stop, Like so it sounds like a lot of the pressure was coming from the dad in what I've read, and not as much from the mom. And so she kept this up for two years, like the first two years of college. Then she told her parents she's been accepted into the pharmacology program at the University of Toronto.
Speaker 4: A lie. They're so excited.
Speaker 1: She convinces them that, like the commute is too hard and can she go live with her friend for a few days a week to like ease up the commute. That was a lie as well. She wasn't even going to her friend's place. She was going to stay with Daniel and his family. And then she would lie to his family and say, welly couldn't she have.
Speaker 4: Just like done calculus in summer school, Like I.
Speaker 1: Just I know, but I think it was like they would have yeah, instead of waitressing, you could have just taken the calculus on the side. But I think it was like more psychological than this, And she just built up the lie and built up the lie, and so she was really going to stay with Daniel. So now two more dear years go by and she found someone to now it's tempt for her to graduate, and she found someone to doctor a transcript of all of A's And then she told her parents they couldn't come to graduation because like, oh, it's like so many people are graduating. They only give us one ticket, and I don't want to choose between you two, so I'm just going to give it to a friend.
Speaker 4: So they don't go to a graduation.
Speaker 1: And eventually the dad did start to catch on to some of the lies, Like eventually she tells them that she has this job working at a lab, and he's like, why don't you have like a uniform for this lab, or like an ID badge or anything that like shows that you work at this lab. So one day they insisted on driving her to school, I mean school to the hospital. He makes the mom follow her into the hospital. She sprints into the building and like hides in the waiting room, like hides in the er waiting room until her parents leave. But they're onto it, so they call her roommate, her alleged roommate whose name is Topaz, which I love, and Topaz tells them the truth that she's not there, and she's like, really, never there, And then they confronted Jennifer, who confess that the lab job was a lie, and so was the pharmacology program. She still didn't tell them that she never graduated high school and never attended Ryerson. So she's like half confessing. Her father is furious tries to kick her out of the house, but the mom like calms them down and gets them to, like, you know, walk that back. They take away her cell and her computer for two weeks, and at this point, she's twenty three years old. By the way, she's like twenty three. They make her quit all of her jobs except for the teaching piano. They let her do, but they keep a strict eye on her. They watch the milage in her car to make sure she's like not going all the way out to visit Daniel, and they say she can't see Daniel anymore. They're watching her like a hawk. I guess After this two week period or whatever, they eventually ease up. They let her enroll in a calculus class so she could finish high school. She also keeps secretly visiting Daniel, but he's getting tired of the secrecy. He's like, bitch, you're twenty four, Like, can we move on? Like? So he breaks up with her and he starts dating a woman named Christine. When Jennifer finds out about Christine, she tells Daniel two kind of wild stories. One is that she was gang raved in the entryway of her home by these men who busted in posing as cops. And she also said she got a bullet in the mail. Neither of these stories are true, and she tells them to Daniel because she tells them that these are things Christine has done to send her a message like stay away from my man.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So she seems like she's going through a lot psychologically, Like at one point she posts on Facebook, quote, no one person knows everything about me, and no people, no two people put together knows everything about me dot dot dot. I like being a mystery end quote. All right, so this is what's going on with Jennifer in twenty ten.
Speaker 2: So at this point, yeah, I'm also I'm curious about compulsive liars because I've met some. I know some obviously, I don't know if it's just intense, but I'm curious how that forms or like what happens, yeah, psychologically, like what kind of break happens where you just like cannot stop lying?
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah yeah, And in this case, I mean, you haven't worked for you girl, like, yeah, you got caught.
Speaker 4: I guess they work for years. I don't know. This is well, I mean I think you.
Speaker 1: Could argue in this case, that her parents put a lot of pressure on her, and that she builds up the lies in order to create her unillusion of her own success to appease her parents. Yeah, and that it just got bigger and bigger and bigger, and like kind of just got out of control. So this same year twenty ten, that this is all going on, she reconnects with an old elementary school friend named Andrew Montemior and they commiserate over their parents and he's like, yeah, one time I considered killing my dad, And Jennifer was like, WHOA, what a great idea.
Speaker 4: I never thought of that.
Speaker 1: Monte Mayor introduces her to this guy named Ricardo Duncan, who's quote unquote a goth in many of the readings I'm reading, like because he had blackmail Polish and she said she gave him fifteen hundred dollars to do it, or someone said that she someone said she gave him fifteen hundred dollars and that he ghosted her and realized she realized she got scammed, but that later he claimed He's like, I got offended whend she even asked me and I she only ever gave me two hundred dollars and it was for like a night that we went out and I gave it back to her, So he denied it, but who.
Speaker 4: Knows who's telling the truth there.
Speaker 1: So that was like the first attempt she made to you know, kill her parents. Now Daniel and Jennifer are maybe back together. They're definitely in constant contact, and it's very flirty. It's very Amanda Dollins in those text messages, and they're coming up with a plan to have a hit man kill her parents, like like, let's pay someone who's like like a legit hit man, and then let's get the five hundred thousand dollars inheritance that she would stand to get from her parents' death.
Speaker 4: So that they could start their lives together.
Speaker 1: So Daniel connects Jennifer with this guy named Lenford Crawford aka Homeboy. Everybody calls him Homeboy, and Jennifer claims she doesn't even know his real name, she only knows him as homeboy. Homeboy says it's twenty thousand dollars for a hit, but he's going to give her a friends and family discount of ten thousand dollars, So he's going to do it for ten k and she's going to be paid. She's going to pay them out of the inheritance, which that's promising a lot. These guys are going on very little promise of just like that the money's coming, because sometimes I feel like that shit can take a long time. But anyway, a few days later, Daniel, after Daniel's helped move this whole plan into motion, he tells Jennifer, oh, JK, I love Christine. Sorry, and Jennifer in text messages, Jennifer's like, okay, well, then call it off with Homeboy and he's like, but I thought you wanted this for you and she's like, yeah, but I have nowhere to go, and he's like it sounds like he was just trying to get out of the whole thing. And their texts turned flirty again. So who knows what's going on with these two crazy kids. So the next week there's a bunch of calls and texts between Jennifer, Daniel, and Homeboy, and on the morning of November eighth, Homeboy texts Jennifer and says, quote, after work, okay, we'll be game time.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 1: So then that night, the night of November eighth, Jennifer was like in her room watching TV Gossip Girl and Johny Kate Let's eight it in case you were wondering. Her dad Han is reading the Vietnamese news and then he goes to bed. Around eight thirty, her mother, Bick, was out line dancing and her brother was like away at college and wasn't home. And approximately nine thirty, Bick comes home from class, gets into her PJ, soaks her feet in front of the TV on the main floor. At nine thirty five, a guy named David Milvaganaum, who is a friend of Homeboys, calls Jennifer and they spoke for two minutes. Then Jennifer goes downstairs, says good night to her mom, and then, as she later admitted, she unlocked the front door, but then she later retracted this admission, so but that's the door was open. At ten o two, Jennifer allegedly signaled the hitman by like kind of switching a light on and off for a certain amount of time, and at ten oh five Milvoganam called again. Him and Jennifer talked for three and a half minutes. I don't know what they're talking about. Moments later, homeboy Milvoganam and a third man named Eric Carty walked through the front door, all three of them carrying guns. One pointed his gun at the mom, while another one ran upstairs and shoved a gun in the sleeping father's face and made him get out of bed, come downstairs and into the living room, and then.
Speaker 4: Upstairs the guy carty.
Speaker 1: He tied Jennifer's arms behind her back using a shoelace.
Speaker 4: I don't know how tight that could be.
Speaker 1: He She gave him twenty five hundred dollars in cash and then pointed him to eleven hundred dollars in her mother's nightstand, and then they went to the kitchen to like start looking for wallets. Meanwhile, in the living room, the parents are talking to each other in cantonese. They're like, how did they get in? And then father's like, I don't know, I was sleeping, and then the hitman tells them to shut up, and pistol whips the dad when he says that he only has sixty dollars and calls him a liar. And then Bick is crying and begging them not to hurt Jennifer, like, don't hurt our daughter, and then one of them says, this is the quote rest assured she is nice and will not be hurt. Ah, that doesn't really sound like love language anyone would use, but there we go. Carti leads Jennifer back upstairs, ties her arm to the banister while Milvaganam and Homeboy take the parents downstairs, cover their head with blankets. They shoot the father twice, once in the shoulder and once in the face. They shoot the mom three times in the head, killing her instantly, and then they take off. Jennifer reported that she somehow managed to reach her phone in the waistband of her pants to call nine one one, even though her hands were tied behind.
Speaker 4: Her back, so that's sus.
Speaker 1: She called nine one one frantically yelling help me, please, I need help. I don't know where my parents are, Please hurry. At the thirty four second mark on the nine one one call, you can hear her father moaning in the background. He had woken up covered in blood with his dead wife next to him, and he had like made his way upstairs crawling. Jennifer yelled down, I'm calling nine one one or whatever, and then Han stumbles outside screaming, and a neighbor sees him, Thank God, on his way to work or something. And calls nine one one. The police and the ambulance get there. Han gets rushed to the hospital. So the police questioned Jennifer and showed them basically how she did some kind of search to solet move to get these this phone out of her pants. And the cops are like very confused by all the details of this robbery. They're like, so the keys to the Lexus were sitting right there. Why would these dudes not take the keys to lexus? If this is a robbery. Why didn't they have like a crowbar or some other way to access the house, like other than the front door. They had no bag to carry any of the stolen goods that they were planning to steal. They didn't have zip ties or anything they brought to tie up the victims. Like even though it's a robbery, it feels like it's a murder, and so like that that's the goal of the attack.
Speaker 4: And the biggest thing they said is why.
Speaker 1: In God's green earth would they leave a witness to their murder of two people? Like why would they not kill Jennifer? So the cops decide to tail Jennifer and then a few days later, the dad wakes up from his coma. He was very fucked up, like there's a broken bone near his eye, he's got bullet fragments in his face, he's got a shattered neckbone.
Speaker 4: But guess what.
Speaker 1: He remembers everything, And one detail that he remembered was Jennifer talking softly to one of the hit man quote unquote like a friend, and that she was not tied up. And so then they bring Jennifer in for an interview and they're basically like the jig is up, and then she breaks down, crying and goes but what happens to me? So next she tries to convince the cops that this was actually a suicide attempt gone awry. She said she wanted to die and hired Homeboy to kill her. But she said that things had kind of improved very recently with her dad and that she called off the hit, but that these guys just decided to still kill her parents for like a robbery. So by the spring of twenty eleven, this whole thing is like pretty much figured out. They've charged Daniel Milvagana, I'm Cardi, and Homeboy all with first degree murder, attempted murder, and the conspiracy to commit murder all the same charges that Jennifer is charged with as well. And then this episode comes out in twenty twelve, so after all the arrests, but before the trial. The trial starts in twenty fourteen, and it goes on for ten months. It has two hundred exhibits and fifty witnesses testified, so it's like a big ass trial. Jennifer took the stand and was on the stand for seven days trying to explain away all these texts with Daniel and these guys, and she tried to convince the jury like, yes, I ordered the hit in August, but then I didn't want to do it when November came around, and she said, she said on the stand quote, I needed my family to be around me. I wanted them to accept me. I didn't want to live alone. I didn't want them to abandon me either. So this is a girl who, like her own lawyer, described her as having the social skills of a teenager, like I feel like she just didn't know how to grow up. But her parents also didn't like let her grow up. They like never let her go away with a friend, They never let her do any thing on her own, Like everything was so strict, and so she's like, my family's suffocating me under their expectations, but also what can I even do without them?
Speaker 4: Like she's feels.
Speaker 1: I think that's like what kind of propelled her to build all these lies and then eventually get to this point where she didn't want her lies exposed?
Speaker 4: So she's a psychopath. I don't feel bad for her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, she would have, well somebody else like this amount of she's stone cold. Yeah, this is a stone cold woman like Emmy in the in the show. I feel for her. I feel bad. I don't want to go to jail. I don't want the babysitters this. These parents are terrible this. I'm like, well, God, this bitch is away. I mean, we'll see the other.
Speaker 1: The other reason I agree, I agree with you pretty much. I do find like whatever, I think the pressures of the parents added to it. But the mom seemed it seems like in through everything I've read, the mom didn't do anything. So if you want to kill your dad, kill your fucking dad, you killed your mom because then you get the money, you know, if your mom lives, you don't get the money, you know, until she dies. So it's like she wanted the money. She wanted to start her life with Daniel and was madly in love with him, and like.
Speaker 2: That was so you're right, and obviously I know that the parents suffocated her and like she might have not learned life skills. But it's like you're in You're already in your twenty. It was like you could have moved in with Daniel. You could have used your waitressing money. Like there, I am just like this. If she didn't kill her parents, she would have killed someone else. She would have lied about something like she does not care about human like I do not think she cares.
Speaker 4: I don't think she has human emotions.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was the other thing too, And a lot of the coverage they found like her to be very emotionless, but she had said like that she was used to putting on like what she called her happy mask, to like for her parents to like act like everything was okay, and then behind that, like behind closed door, she would like be upset and crying and like feeling emotions.
Speaker 4: But I don't know.
Speaker 1: I will say that when the guilty verdict was delivered, she showed no emotion, but then once the press left, she was aching and bawling.
Speaker 4: So Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 1: So she got so there's something for her that's performative about other people and what other people are going to see and like the success other people expect from you, or something that like I don't know. So she got an automatic life sentence with no chance of parole for twenty five years for the murder of her mother, and then for the attempted murder of her father, she got another life sentence to be served Concurrently, Daniel Milvaganam and Homeboy each received the exact same sentence. Carti's trial got postponed due to a sick lawyer, and in twenty fifteen he got an eighteen year sentence after pleading guilty. He pled guilty. Everyone else pled not guilty. He did not want to put the father through another trial, and so he got eighteen years for pleading guilty to conspiring to commit murder, with an eligibility for parole after nine years. Also because I think Carti wasn't one of the ones who went down and actually shot at the parents. He had Jennifer upstairs, so maybe that's why he got like a bit of a lighter sentence. He did die in jail, so he is no longer with us, but I was. You know, I'm glad he committed. I'm glad he entered a guilty police so that this poor old man would not have to go through another trial. The judge at the sentencing of Jennifer ordered no communication between her and her family at the family's request, so basically she can never talk to her brother and father again unless they remove that order. She's also forbidden from talking to Daniel. The father's victim impact statement said, quote, when I lost my wife, I lost my daughter at the same time. I don't feel like I have a family anymore. Some say I should feel lucky to be alive, but I feel like I am dead too. I hope my daughter Jennifer thinks about what has happened to her family and can become a good, honest person someday.
Speaker 4: End quote. I mean, you do have a son, but anyway, it's horrible.
Speaker 1: This man, like this poor man, he can't work because of his injuries. He has anxiety attacks, insomnia, and nightmares. He's in constant pain. He's given up on all the things that brought him joy, like gardening and working on cars.
Speaker 4: He lives with he can't live in his house.
Speaker 1: Anymore because of the memories, and so he lives nearby with relatives. He's trying to sell the house, but no one will buy it because there's been like this public home invasion and all of these people, all of the men, and Jennifer will be eligible for parole in twenty thirty five. Jennifer will be forty nine, Daniel will be fifty. If they get parole. Who knows if they will. I don't know how Canada does their parole. And people, you know, still wonder if Jennifer had meant to illness. Her lawyer did not present any kind of mental illness defense at her trial, but people speculate, there's all kinds of speculations for peop who knew her in high school, that her parents pushed her too hard and treated her like shit, and that her lies just snowballed until she lost control. And according to the South China Morning Posts, this was this whole event sent shockwaves across Canada and the Asian diaspora.
Speaker 4: That's a quote about the shockwaves.
Speaker 1: So in the Asian community, it was like, oh my god, like your child, the child killing, having her parents killed was like, you know, this huge story that really everybody was talking about. And I did read this one piece in Northwest Asian Weekly that was a maybe lightly in defense of her. It's said quote the idea of recognizing that the mental and psychological symptoms that parenting may have gone too far in the panhousehold.
Speaker 4: So but that is that on Jennifer Panie.
Speaker 2: She gives me Casey Anthony vibes in terms of her lying. Yeah, where it's like you know, where they go to Universal or Disney and like through the offices and like same here, like taking to the er not admitting it sooner.
Speaker 4: Like the lies just got too big. This is bad. I feel so horrible for these parents.
Speaker 5: I know.
Speaker 1: And it's like she could have moved in with Daniel, but I think she was scared to leave her parents. Like I think that that wouldn't even feel like an option, like of her leaving her parents. Yeah, no, I think murder is better. It's it's definitely not. But I think that she thought this is a way where it's like out of my hands, Like I don't, you know, I don't know the things people like convince themselves are wild.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's just so fucking sad, dude.
Speaker 4: But you know, what's not sad The guests we have coming up. Oh, people are gonna lose their minds.
Speaker 1: Absolutely lose your minds. Please gather yourself together and prepare yourself for our guest. Listen, guys, it's guest time. And this is, without exaggeration, one of the most important podcasting events of the twenty first century. I'm not going to list credits because you don't need them. Our guest needs no introduction. From twenty eleven to twenty twenty two, she played Detective Amanda Rollins. Because we got to talk to the amazing Kelly Giddish and here it is Kelly.
Speaker 2: We are beyond thrilled. I feel like Barbara Walters and we got an exclusive like, well.
Speaker 4: Thank you, We're really excited to talk to you.
Speaker 2: And and hard to choose an episode had we have emotional arcs.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you for choosing now. And I just watched it as I was working out just now and it's so heartbreaking that episode. Yeah, so thank you, thank you for suggesting that when it was in my first season and it's it's a it's a really brutal one.
Speaker 1: So yeah, your first season thirteen, what like, what how did the how did the Dick Wolf journey begin for you because I know my name is Kara. You played a character named Kara as a victim earlier in the season in the in Your In you know, I don't remember what season that was, but I don't need it, but yeah, did they just like bring you in for this new character? Like what was the whole audition process and chemistry tests and what?
Speaker 5: Well, So I've gotten a couple of shows where I was the lead on, like I did a lead I did a show on Fox and written by David Hudgens who did Friday Night Wives. It was an awesome experience. Last seven episodes. Okay, So then I get another I get another series called Chase and it's Jerry Brookheimer produced, and I was like, oh my god, and I get to do all these stunts and live in Texas and wear cowboy boots. And then it was canceled after one season. So my heart was completely broken. But I get this phone call saying, hey, Chris Maloney is leaving and Warren Light is taking over the Helm of SVU and you know he knows you, and would you like to come in for a meeting and just see what it's about. And I was like, yeah, So I went in and I met I met some higher ups in the Dick Wolf world, Peter Jenkowski, and that meeting went great. And then I had a phone call with Warren and you know, they were like, would you like to come out and test for this? And you know, I was in la I was living in a three bedroom house and to Penga Canyon with just me and Franny, you know, like never shut the front door. I was just like living like that. And I was like, wow, the possibility of coming back to New York and being on this already iconic show. So I said, yeah, I'll come out and test. And so I went and I I did a scene with Marushka, and I think that they they were like, can you can you? Can you ramp it up? You know? And I was like yeah, sure, you know, you know, and so we Dick was there and Warren was there and the whole company and and it was, you know, it was easy to act with Marushka. We had an easy time with it. And I got the call that I had it. So I packed up my whole house and you know, I was finishing up a film that that first day on set was hilarious because I I had gotten killed the night before in La doing this film by Gina Gershawan. I had like fake blood in my hair. I had to take a trailer shower, you know, like with terrible like pressure coming out of the And so I show up to set and take a red eye from LA to New York and like I'm here and I got I go to set. I do my scene with Iced Tea and he was like you do you boo? And I was like okay, great, And I rushed across town to do a bidding with the Good Wife. So it was like a whirlwind of a start.
Speaker 4: And did you know you nailed it?
Speaker 2: Like you were there with in the read with Marishka, and did you kind of leave being like we crushed it?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think, I mean I felt great about it. Yeah. Yeah. But you know, it's like it's based on so many other things, you know, other than you know. I mean, there's there's a spark that happens I think that the people respond to in a test or whatever when you're going out for a role. But if there had been another girl on the show that had blonde hair with a southern accent, I probably wouldn't have gotten high, right, you know what I mean. It's just like there's so much else that goes into it. But as it was, you know, the chemistry was there, and I was ready willing and able to jump on a Dick Wolf show that had been on for over a decade already.
Speaker 2: Were was it nerve wrecking because Maloney was so beloved? Were the fans like, was that a wild time? Season thirteen? Like starting off and having the like did that? Was there pressure? Did you feel any pressure?
Speaker 5: Well? I gave all the pressure to Danny Pino. I just handed all that off. They said, Okay, it's it's yours to handle. You've done Network TV. You know, he'd been on Cold Case for years and he was the man coming in, you know, he had I felt he had all the shoes to fill. You know.
Speaker 2: Well, you mentioned in the audition that you guys ramped it up. And something that we talk a lot about the podcast is you guys, you and Murushka in particular, are so good at getting like wet eyes, like or like one little trail like it's just so impressive.
Speaker 4: And how do you guy, how do you.
Speaker 2: Personally get yourself to cry or how do you plan like, I'm not gonna let the tears drop.
Speaker 4: I'm just gonna have wet eyes.
Speaker 5: I don't plan any of that. Have you seen the show? Have you seen what it's about? Have you seen to listen to and imagine? You know, it's about such, It's about people doing the worst possible things to other people, and if you just imagine the situation being there, it's you know, it's I don't know about crying or any of that, but the emotion and and then your heart rate and like, you know, it's all there, like you have a a visceral response to it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean I felt like in this one, specifically in Home Invasions, where you're like you're still kind of the new gal and now you have this big secret, and I you know that you really felt that like stress for me when he when Finn is like, you got to tell the captain and you're like, like you know, And I.
Speaker 5: Was just watching it and I was like, and there's a moment where he's like, you know, you got to still take care of this, and I was like yeah, and then I start to walk off and then I go Finn, and I was like, what is she gonna say? Like, what can she possibly say right now? And then Rolin just said thanks, and I was like, okay, all right, because I thought you were going to give him back talk and I'm like, girl, you got to get your ass in the in the Captain's office and come clean. I don't know what else you got to say. So yeah, that was that was crazy. And then it's time me flan again and that was just so much. It was so much fun, you know, being able to play that, and it's watching rewatching that episode. It just maybe miss Dan Florick so so so I know, I love love him.
Speaker 2: And then was the storyline with you and Finn always there or was it like your connection with Iced Tea that kind of built upon it? But you guys seemed to have like a chemistry right from the beginning.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, you mentioned I was a guest star on SVU before I got the Rollins role, and I played Kara and all of my scenes were with iced Tea in that episode. Me and him just just get along, you know what I mean. It's like it's just we, Yes, we do get along. Yes, there was always chemistry, and it's a very deep sweetness that he has that I think comes across in his relationship with Rollins and also later with other characters. But I think he he has a natural tenants to take, you know, take the young'uns under his wing a little bit without getting too much in their business, you know, just going I'm here for you, you know, like try and do the right thing. Yeah, I think it was. It was just a natural kind of division, to be honest as well, because they were seeing Danny with Marushka and me with ice you know, it's kind of a natural pair of do.
Speaker 1: You have like a favorite ice cold fact that iced Tea's ever told you?
Speaker 5: Oh, there's so many.
Speaker 1: We talked to dian neal and she was like Icedy always told me like get your own money, like make sure the checks are coming to you, sign your own checks.
Speaker 4: And I was like, that's really good advice.
Speaker 1: Well, I was wondering if there was one that sticks in your head about just with money.
Speaker 5: It makes me think of don't count the boss's money, you know, my excellent advice. You know you worry about you, you don't worry about right. And another one is life doesn't get any easier. We just get better at doing harder things. Wow, But every day you guys. You don't understand. It was every day. It was my biggest regret that I didn't write and then keep just an iced tea journal on my desk to be like.
Speaker 4: It is table book. There needs to be a table book of like iced tea quotes. It's like begging to be made.
Speaker 5: Yes, it is.
Speaker 2: And I also really loved we made a collage for your final episode last week. So I was we were going through all these photos and there's a really cute one of you and Coco and your baby and you guys like pregnant at the same time and stuff, and I just love that.
Speaker 4: It seems like you guys are all really tight.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was. It was such a It was such a beautiful set, especially before COVID. You know, like we had kids and dogs running around, and Coco was there all the time, and like I would go hang out with her and it was it was such a beautiful, beautiful place to go to work.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, another thing that's beautiful.
Speaker 2: You're messy up dudes, and you're outerwear is something we talk about a lot.
Speaker 5: I can understand why I'm going to say I'm going to accept that and just be like I I know what you mean, but I appreciate the appreciation for the messy up dudes because you know it's I do. I just appreciate that that you guys noticing that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I feel like tops.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well this season, like thirteen, like when you're looking at this episode and stuff, it was just a lot of kind of like your hair down and a little bit more like playing, and then as it moves on, it's like she's getting a long, gorgeous pea code, a messy upd like just your your style was really evolving. I don't know if it was like she was making more money with the department or whatever, but the style was really evolving.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the outer the outerwear for Robins, I've got serious envy. Four. I ended up buying buying copies of few codes because I just had to. I was like, these are so great, I have to have it. And yeah, the messy up dudes were kind of I can't sit sit still for that long and hair and makeup like I was like, okay, it was over this episode, let's just throw it up. Okay. So hair makeup takes seven minutes instead of instead of like forty five, So that was kind of a product of that.
Speaker 4: Oh that makes sense, so you have something.
Speaker 5: Plus right, But she's also you know she's a cop and you know she's it's like right, it makes it makes sense that she doesn't have perfectly straight you know koit hair, Yeah, koift? Is it quoift or cock quafftf coffing.
Speaker 1: Karen's good at that. I don't know where because it's from French, but we'll wait. Speaking of fashions, we want to talk about the dress, the wedding dress. Obviously we just you know, we we got a peak of it before because you know, people release the photos and then we saw you in this dress. Did you get to have any input into this or do you just let costume people do their thing?
Speaker 5: No? Of course, of course I had input, But I said, I say the costume designer, Chris Anne. I sent her a few dresses and she was like, oh, wonderful, great, great grace. So she got them, and she also had a few that she had picked out, and I went in for the fitting and I was like, what is this And she had bought one and it was that dress. I tried it on. It was the first one I tried on, and I go, I think we found it so that because they know my style. I like the I like big sleeves and like I like the I thought it was I thought it was very fitting to have like something very plain and matt But but you know, because it's just a courthouse wedding, right something, it just seemed very rawlins to me.
Speaker 1: I like to imagine what she's going to wear to the Staten Island wedding. Yeah, you know, and that the mom's gonna, like Sara Fina CARESI is going to have more of an input and be like, there's not enough.
Speaker 4: It needs to be bigger. I want more of a veil.
Speaker 5: There's a feel, there's extra hair, there's a train.
Speaker 4: Oh god, I think there's a chocolate.
Speaker 1: I think there's a chocolate fountain of the reception. I gotta tell you so. Yeah, I mean getting should we get into this last episode that you're the final episode now that we're talking about the dress.
Speaker 5: Sure, unless you want to talk about Beverly D'Angelo, because.
Speaker 1: We're talking about we're talking on Friday.
Speaker 5: You guys are so lucky.
Speaker 4: What should we ask? Give us some tips?
Speaker 5: You should you should have her sing?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, Casey write it down.
Speaker 4: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I mean She's like an icon to me, Like I'm obsessed with her so much.
Speaker 5: It was so fun to meet her, and I was just like this, you know, it's like wight eyed and just listening to everything she had to say. She's so brassy and and so real, but like it had so many experiences that, you know, because really I felt really lucky to get to play with her.
Speaker 4: Oh and your mom, Virginia Madsen, and that was so great.
Speaker 5: I was so pregnant when she was on the show. I had a baby shower and she was at that. She was at the baby shower, and then we had a scene in Brian Park just a little behind the scenes. I was like, my baby is about to come out, so I'm gonna have to leave set and call the doctor's I swear to god, I was like, I don't know. I I She goes, okay, well are you good for right now? And I said, yeah, I'm okay. I'm in Brian Park And her office was nearby, and she goes, well, if you're okay for right now, why don't you finish up filming? And then and I said, and then I'll come buy your office. I was like, okay, that sounds great, and I think she. I mean it was like I was like, oh my goodness, I might be having this baby very very soon because I worked until the very life second on that show.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, were both the pregnancies written in or were was there some hiding?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: They were both? How it is okay?
Speaker 2: And were there like funny big props you had to like do you remember any silly hiding tools or you never had to.
Speaker 5: No, I never had to hide it. Yeah, I just I the crew like they would they sent me pictures of like me napping in certain places, like I would just be played out on the grass, like in front of whatever house we were at, like you know, just catching with my big belly, just sticking up.
Speaker 1: And your character is like so wild because she's always just like put me in, like let me go in the field, and it's like you're you're eight months pregnant woman.
Speaker 5: Like exactly exactly.
Speaker 4: Cannot sit at.
Speaker 1: A desk, I guess how you can't sit in here and make up rollins. Cannot sit at a desk? Yeah, how much of you do you feel like is in this character? Speaking of that, like, do you feel like As time went on, she morphed with you more or like, what do you think?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Yeah, I mean she we both grew up, we both became mothers, We both like it's you know, you settle in And in this last season you see her recounting what it felt like to have a gun in her face and to realize that she's not only is she missing out on Billy and Jesse growing up a little bit. For her, it's it's like putting herself in danger to what end. And for me it was like, you know, I got to see my kids, you know a lot. But it did resonate with me, you know, with like there's definitely more time, there's definitely more energy, There's definitely more things I could be doing at home. So we kind of culminated and to be at the same place, Robin's and me, so yeah, we definitely settled down together and got priorities kind of shuffled around.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel like Rollin's being able to and they touched on this on that last episode, but Rollin's being able to finally like accept love into her life and was just like a beautiful journey because what was that?
Speaker 4: Was it intent?
Speaker 2: Where you went off and like had sex with the bartender? Instead of kissing Careesy and it was just like ah, it was just such a like not frustrating moment, but it was just like amazing when you find like Rollins finally let the love in.
Speaker 5: I know, I know, and I just I just celebrated my first first anniversary with with my husband bo and so and it's just like, oh my god, it's this is how it is, and this is how I can be and just so happy, so happy, and so I definitely feel, you know, on the exact same page with Rollins, where it's just like, oh, this is exactly where I'm supposed to be and look look at how how much somebody can love me and how much I can love them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, final episode were a lot of those tears kind of real and and like how was it to film with Marishka in the motel and in the office in those final days.
Speaker 5: You know that the tears in the you know, in that final scene between Rollins and Benson. I've been thinking about that because I'm getting you know, like I'm I mean, I'm just I'm getting this question a lot like was that real? Like, yeah, of course it was real, But it also seeing that episode today reinforce this idea that I had was that Ron has been in that office so many times to be like, okay, here's what I did, you know what I mean? And and for her, like I really I was really feeling through that day because she she really took the rate and and moved in a direction that she really has hope for. And you know, it's just like she she she is choosing this, she's choosing this next route. And and it's not like climbing up out of a hole. It's like going from from sea level to like the mountaintop, you know what I mean. So it's not it really felt different, you know, And like that last time she opens the door and leaves, you know, it was like okay, you know, like this is totally my journey now, you know, like I don't have to I'm not beholden to what anybody thinks of me or like my past or my history, or who's hurt me or who I've hurt, you know. So it was all of that too, in addition to you know, Ron's leaving Benson and Kelly leaving Marushka. You know, so there was there was a lot going on there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, was there part like did you guys get was there a part?
Speaker 4: Was there anything?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 5: No hangout said no party, no, no buy, no no cake, no nothing.
Speaker 1: I don't you just wanted to like slip out the back door.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, Irish takes it because I would have lost it. I don't. I didn't want to lose it in front of everybody. I just got to say thank you to the crew, which I mean I missed more than anybody. You know. It's like those the guys that we the guys and women and men that we worked with are on that set. I mean, there's they work so hard. They work so hard, and they put in so many hours and they're they're still invested in making it story telling the story telling our telling the story that we're trying to tell, and it's just incredible their dedication and and the quality of work that they put in. And so to be able to say thank you that was very important to me. But not not having a cake, like, oh, thanks for twelve years. Here to your cake. Yeah, I didn't want to do that.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 1: We've interviewed like a hundred plus guests from the show or people that have been on the show, and like every person talks about how amazing the crew is how amazing, like everything is on the set, so I could see that being Yeah, it's like hard to leave.
Speaker 2: Were you able to like feel the love from all the fans and like be able to see the messages and the outpouring of them that yeah.
Speaker 5: My gosh, Yeah, it was crazy. It was intense. You know, I was like, wow, guys, you know, like this this feels good. Thanks, thank you very very very very very much. You know, the interactions with the fans that's still you know, blow me away the most. Or I know me and the show are reaching people because I you know, like you're walking down the street and it's like somebody comes up to you and they're like, thank you so much. You helped me through this. You're helping me through this, or the show is helping and you know, you're like, oh, that's that's fucking awesome, you know what I mean, Like I'm so happy that there's relief or you feel seen or me portraying this character has made you laugh or like giving you hope or you know, made you optimistic about your own future.
Speaker 2: So have you had any silly fan interactions on the streets of New York or any streets as anyone ever thought that maybe you were still.
Speaker 4: The character and got mad at you in the world.
Speaker 5: Oh oh yeah, I was in a casino. I was in a casino once and they were like, what are you doing here? You can't be in a casino, Rawlins, you can't do that, Like, no, no.
Speaker 4: That's amazing. That is so funny.
Speaker 1: Not the one with gambling problem, Hi, Kelly, do not have a gambling problem, but thank you for your concern.
Speaker 4: That is so funny.
Speaker 1: Do you like we were you were talking about at the beginning, like how the show is It's not that hard for you to get tears going because the show is so packed with like trauma and drama and things like that. Do you have any episodes that like really sort of stuck with you, like the subject matter or like anything where you were like it was like hard to shake it haunting. We like to ask for your most favorite anything episode.
Speaker 4: That really never leave you.
Speaker 1: We have because I have a few episodes of the show that are just like stuck in my head forever, as like horrible, like scary episodes and like I was just wondering. But you're on step so it's a different feeling, I'm sure.
Speaker 5: But yeah, I mean the Henry the psychopath, the psychopathic kid. That was really disturbing to me. And I remember like I was doing a scene with Sherry Song, who was pregnant in real life with twins. She was kind of playing the bad guy and I had to hold a gun up to her and I hated it. It was all fake and all that, but it's still I like, it didn't feel right. It didn't feel right when I when I stopped doing it, and it didn't feel right when I went home, and it was still just bothering me. So it wasn't like a subject matter thing, but it was. It was a night where I was just like I I am, I can't shake shake the scene, you know. That was that was a very rare instance where I couldn't. I couldn't leave it at work because I'm very good at leaving it at work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that storyline, that whole under and with Declin and stuff, that was great.
Speaker 4: You you had such.
Speaker 2: Amazing stories and it's just been a pleasure to watch.
Speaker 5: Well, thank you.
Speaker 2: Is there any scoop or fun stuff you would love to enlighten us or the fans with, like things that we would love to know about the show or anything.
Speaker 1: Little inside jokes on the set.
Speaker 5: Like the chipmunk. The chipmunk on Rollin's desk. Okay, I don't know if you guys ever noticed it. There's a chipmunk on Rollin's desk that I asked for them to get like a taxi dermid because my dad, who has always had a big, beautiful garden in Georgia, like the chipmunks would really destroy his stuff, so he would he would get rid of them by shooting them. And so I got that to like remind me of my dad, and I asked Ice. I was like, I need a name for this chipmunk, and he goes, it's DC, and I go, oh, cool, d C. What is that? He was like dead chipmunk.
Speaker 4: Okay, that's good.
Speaker 5: And they would also they would also like dress him up, like the camera department. Emily from the camera department, she was like, if it was Easter, like the chipmunk, you would see it have like a basket of eggs and like an easter hat.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, that's like a great little Easter egg.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, I've never noticed.
Speaker 4: That's so cute.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Are you going on vacation?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 2: What what's the next part for you? France for a year. Are you gonna's playing in.
Speaker 1: New York coming out back out to La?
Speaker 4: What's the vibe?
Speaker 5: I I'm staying in New York for right now. And you know, I'm it's like so not exciting. I'm like getting to go to the doctor and like getting my like painting my nails and like putting weird stickers on them, which I could never do as a detective. So I'm doing it like just being a girl in that sense. And I'm working out and just spending time with my kids doing nothing and it's just such a nice time to to to be off of work, you know, December and the holidays and yeah, it's everything's cozy at home and it's just a it's a beautiful time.
Speaker 1: So do you have like future roles that you like have your eye on, Like what is your next thing you'd rather not be something like on a procedural or you'd like to like keep going with that, or you're just open and whatever happens happens.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we'll see, we'll see. I'm not I mean, I'm I'm definitely not closing the doors on anything. You know, I've I've enjoyed playing a cop I've you know, I love I love being in New York. I have my life here, and I'm you know, there's so many things happening in my personal life that I'm just so happy and excited to to experience. You know that that work is is awesome, But it's not like what.
Speaker 1: I'm yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, I'm not there, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, I was hoping you were. Yeah, you were just gonna chill and enjoy time, life, relaxing.
Speaker 5: I'm really good at doing that because I just don't get bored. It's just not not possible for me. Like I have a have a bead loom going downstairs, my guitar is out, there's paintings happening. Yes, you know, it's like it's like the kids are It's it's so fun doing all that stuff with the kids.
Speaker 2: So we're just so happy you agreed to do this. We really oh good, thank you so much for taking the time.
Speaker 4: We really appreciate that.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, any final things.
Speaker 5: No, I just you know, like this past like this past six months, you know, like since the fans found out Rollin's was leaving, I've just I've really been blown away by all the response and all the collages and all that, like because I'm so not good at doing that stuff. So to see all the fans like they're so talented doing all that. But all the support and all the all the love you know that I've I've gotten from from all the fans has been It's been really it feels really nice.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's been incredible to watch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people really connect with your character and you really created somebody that people identify with.
Speaker 2: So yeah, that your mistakes don't define you and yeah.
Speaker 5: That's it, that's it. That's a great. Yeah. People have asked me, like, you know during interviews, like what do you what do you want Rollin's legacy to be? That's a good one. I like how you just put that?
Speaker 1: Thanks thanks for coming you Kelly.
Speaker 4: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well wow, she's so zen, but I am happy we made her laugh a couple of times. It's so fun to talk to her and wow, like I just cannot believe, like we got her and I'm so excited we got to talk to her and.
Speaker 2: Well I set it up top like it truly felt like we were like Diane Sawyer. I'm like, how did we get exclusive? Like how did she agree to do this podcast? So for those you know, we are always in a time machine. Her last episode was like on a Thursday, and we interviewed her that Monday, like from the last episode airing, we spoke to her four days later, like that is unheard of. That was just like a surprise and an excitement and it was It just felt really cool and also kind of her to do that, because I'm sure it's like emotional to leave a job after twelve years.
Speaker 4: That wasn't fully her choice, and.
Speaker 2: It's cool that she gave us that time because there could be lots of other things.
Speaker 4: I don't know, and she's so.
Speaker 1: Like busy, I'm sure and watched the episode before she talked to us, which like we get much less busy people that are like, oh, I haven't seen that in twenty years, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, but I do love that she was able to feel the love from all the fans, and like I also loved that she was like, no, I gave the pressure to Danny Pino.
Speaker 4: I didn't need that. Yeah, life like that was so funny.
Speaker 1: Well, I think she fully turned us both around too. When this podcast started, we were both like, eh Rollin's like, you know, typical roll and stuff. But like in the current episodes too, it's been like fun to watch her really grow and.
Speaker 2: Well, they fucked with us because she did really or like awful No, that she did really terrible things and made and made really bad choices. But then you see her history of like abuse and her family's mental illness issues and there and her boss assulting her. There was just like so much yeah, that she was going through and putting aside, and that's why she was defending bad men and that's why she had addictions and like the relationship with her sister and wanting to help people, like you know, the you got to grow with her, learn about her and know her deeper, and it might be a less and all of us that if someone makes a mistake or acts a certain way or does something fucked up, maybe you don't have to do what they're toxic. I'm not trying to give people bad advice, but like there's more change your journey and we can give people, you know, because Captain Craigan here could have said fuck.
Speaker 4: Off, you're fired.
Speaker 1: That could have been like, I mean, that could have been a perfect example of like somebody who's on the show for ten episodes and then it's like it's not working out, like you gambled, like you're.
Speaker 4: A dirty cop, goodbye or whatever, and and she comes back.
Speaker 2: Because what's funny is we were getting ready to interview her, so I was watching like Home Invasions on my laptop, but I had other Rollin's episodes playing on the TV, and there was the season fifteen gambling issues, and so I was getting confused.
Speaker 4: Over which one was which. But it's like she went.
Speaker 2: Back into it, you know, yes, But then and she's gone to make out with more people than I think anyone else on the show. We dove a little into the flirting and the smoothies, but like she made out with rapists, anonymous guy made out with Amorro Careesi, the bartender from the South. Yeah, there's gotta be more. Is it a just four now?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I'm like, maybe we've only seen more boyfriends for live but really.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but she I don't always make out or no, were You're right? We saw him to make out with Henry Connick Junior and stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that but that was a awesome interview. The episode was whoo a lot. I mean, I guess what's our what's our post mortem takeaway, don't pressure your kids too much or they're.
Speaker 4: Gonna fucking kill you. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Uh, like, well listen, like don't like stop Like, children are people and you can't just make them what you want them to be.
Speaker 4: You have to accept them for who they.
Speaker 2: Are and guide or maybe like like be bumpers of the bowling Alley of life.
Speaker 4: But you can't. You can't. Fucking no.
Speaker 1: I want Rosie to be a mid level advertising executive, and that's it. That's what she's doing. That's my dream, that's what she's gonna do. I'm forcing it.
Speaker 2: You know, and I always you know, I talk about my sister positively a lot, but I do like that each of her kids gets to be who they are in their own journey. And she's like one is an academic superstar, the other could care less and they're able to do that. You know, one's not being forced to get a's if that's not the vibe.
Speaker 4: Yes, it's just rare.
Speaker 2: And it's not the parents fault, like obviously, who knows that they were raising the sociopath who was gonna you know, get them killed, right, But it's like the pressure, the this you have to be even if even you have to be straight or do this religion or dressed like this or do that or look like it's like, don't have kids if you need them to be a certain way for them to get.
Speaker 1: Your respect, and don't have kids if you feel like when they confess something to you're just not gonna believe them, Like I can't believe the mother in the episode from Home Invasions, Like it makes me feel like maybe it's okay that they blew you away, Like your what your daughter came to you and told you that her dad was molesting her and you just didn't believe her because you were like busy with your affair, Like why would you not believe her? Your husband's a piece of shit. You don't even like him. You could tell from the first episode, from the first minute of the episode.
Speaker 2: I mean, and through our research, we know that this happens a lot in real life, Like, but yeah, believe your fucking kids.
Speaker 4: Yeah you think it's you think think about how.
Speaker 2: Much courage it takes to like go to a parent and say your fucking life partner that you decided to be with is molesting me, Like yeah, yeah, what a courageous k It just it sucks that she got caught.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but like I said, they're definitely she They're gonna get her off her good lawyers are gonna get her off.
Speaker 2: I don't want the brother sister back in. I don't want any of them in jail. Those parents.
Speaker 1: Fuck not a Lada though she's so funny on Orange is a New Black.
Speaker 4: Maybe that's what she's in there for, Okay, trying to think of more Kelly.
Speaker 2: I love that, Like when she speaks about iced tea, it's like.
Speaker 4: True love, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like they did really should seem like a real great job to have. And congrats on twelve V. I don't know if we told her like congrats on twelve.
Speaker 1: I know I would like a fan of wedding, But congrats on twelve years of being on a fucking hit show and developing this character that people are so attached to. Well, let's uh move on to our what would Sister Peg do for this week, which is our weekly SEGMENTA.
Speaker 2: I have one more thing to say, I do I you know what else I've learned? Big bandages around ahead, I'll never get sick of it. Please more bandages on, more, more.
Speaker 4: All the way around.
Speaker 1: Bandages Please Lisa needs them. Now you're gonna have like a nurse bring you one at one of our next live shows. You're gonna have to wear it all right, Let's move into our what would Sister Peg Do?
Speaker 4: Segment?
Speaker 1: This is our weekly segment where we point you guys to an organization, a book, a link, something that's gonna help you learn more about what we talked about in today's episode. And we thought, if you were more interested in the Jennifer Pans story, there is a book called A Daughter's Deadly Deception The Jennifer Panstory by Jeremy Grimaldi. There's a lot of info in this case. In this book gives you a deeper dive into it, and he heavily researched this while it was happening. So if you're interested, the link is in our bio and I will also be in a story on the day this comes out and saved forever in our stories highlight called WWSPD on Instagram.
Speaker 4: Sorry if I didn't say Instagram, Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Also follow us on Instagram, but also we're giving you a hard hitting interviews, amazing episodes. Give us a five star review, write a nice little thing, Get those reviews going.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we need to counter the one star reviews that say that like we name drop too much and that Lisa hates me. You know, give us a fiver just if you can, if you haven't had a chance.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just all engagement helps us see people, and I feel like we're pretty chill. We don't promote too much of anything. But please, you know, when you're up there, give us a five star, even if you don't have time to write a review. We would really appreciate some more stars or four stars. If you have some complaints, Okay, I'm not you know, I'm not gonna be picky, but if it's less than that, don't go on there. Bit to yourself, tell a friend. But next week we will be doing the episode Tangled Strands of Justice. That is season twenty three, episode nineteen, and we cannot wait to give you more and more and more.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: That's Messed Up as an exactly right production.
Speaker 1: If you have compliments you'd like to give us or episodes you'd like us to cover, shoot us an email. That's Messed uppod at gmail dot com.
Speaker 2: Follow the podcast on Instagram at That's Messed Up Pod, and on Twitter at Messed Up Pod, and follow us personally at Kara Klank and at Glitter Cheese.
Speaker 1: As always, please see our show notes for sources and more information.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much to our producer Kacy O'Brien, and to our.
Speaker 1: Mixer John Bradley and our guest booker Patrick Cottner, and.
Speaker 2: To Henry Kaperski for our theme song and Carly Jean Andrews for our artwork.
Speaker 1: Thank you to our executive producers Georgia hard Start, Karen Kilgarriff, Daniel Kramer, and everybody at Exactly Right Media.
Speaker 4: Dun Dun