Speaker 1: Whoa. Well, well, look at us here talking about the NBA. We're already into the summer action. A summer league is kicked off. The bulk of free agency has taken place, although some teams that I wish for a little bit more active are not. Uh and Team USA is getting ready for Olympic action in Paris. We're gonna get into all of that and more with hoos and creator CJ Toldono on today's episode. I'm Miles Gray and.
Speaker 2: I'm producer Jabari infra Jet.
Speaker 1: That's right, and this is my producer, Jabari got mad boosty. Yes, we can do change it.
Speaker 2: We can do that.
Speaker 1: We can do that, dot Chid three, got it? W's Luca don hitch Ta, Okay, there you go in be driving spinning knicks. Got it with five? Is gonna try another three? Mister? Look God James, to be honest with the tech. Look out there's a little show time, won't you go y honest? C J Toldano, Look the man who behind the fantastic brand following, you know, not the movement now, it's not just it's not just a it's a move and I see everybody rocking your follow through here too. It's we gotta get used to them. We gotta get both of you guys some stuff, you know that try and get some stuff. But it works, It works every time.
Speaker 3: And and I do like you saying that as a movement, now people can follow through it.
Speaker 1: You have to follow through. Yeah, what did I see?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 4: I saw something like recently, something big and somebody's rocking follow through And I was like doing the Leonardo DiCaprio meme, like, oh we got guy John Wall.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, I don't know if it was John.
Speaker 4: I think I may have seen it like completely out of context and maybe you didn't even look. The next time I remember made you know how it is. That's how you know your big you know exactly. And also, like I said, along with John Wall, hosts of The Point God podcast, So it is good to have you because you know, as we are all big Laker fans, there are many other teams making moves in free agency.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 4: And I just I just I just need a support group to kind of to just parse through all everything that's happening. You know, Look, Jabari, I know all about the second Apron, you know what I mean. So you know, we don't have to we don't have to talk about that because I know exactly what it means in every single way, at least.
Speaker 2: At least one of us does.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't need to know about.
Speaker 5: Aprons to know that the Lakers didn't do anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, oh right, no, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: They re signed Max Christie four years, you know, thirty two million. That's what's up.
Speaker 3: That was just thinking about it now. When that happened in the first five minutes, I was like, okay, cool, we got that out of the way, and then we got rosen Lori marketing.
Speaker 1: They're all on the way.
Speaker 5: I'm getting ready, you know, ribbing my hands together and nothing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So I said, look, let's go through some of the winners, and I guess we're some of the losers too. With just I mean, obviously later on in the summer we do more in depth you know, breakdowns to kind of let y'all know where things settle out. But you know, top line, we should just look at everything that's happened. I feel like, have we even talked about the I don't think we even talked about the Clay move since the last time we recorded. So yeah, there's that. Well, let's start with Okay, no Clay I mean, well, did either you even want Clay? I wanted it. I wanted it, but I was cautious about it.
Speaker 3: Obviously, we're all cautious after we we do those like hometown trades and out. I was curious of what we were going to give up up for it. It didn't look like too.
Speaker 5: Much the Dallas got for him, but you know, I wanted him.
Speaker 1: I wanted them.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I mean, I wasn't gonna be like, well no, but deep down I was like, please stay healthy, stay healthy, please let and you do that thing in your mind. It's like being in LA will rejuvenate you and rediscover everything. Right.
Speaker 3: But people are throwing around that ray Allen Miami heat thing, and I totally but I convinced myself of that that we were going to have that ray Allen Miami heat here right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, man, I'll keep it. I'll keep it a stack with you. I was in favor of it until I heard it they were considering four years. Look y'all know, I'm in favor. Guys get your money, and you're like happy when players get paid except for when it's by my team when they're on this side of Yeah, but hey, you know what good for him going to Dallas. It ended up working out, you.
Speaker 4: Know, Yeah, I wish you the best of luck. Oklahoma City added Caruso and Harden scene. Uh to dude, this team was already looking great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're stacked. That addition again, gonna call that a winner to see that, because oh.
Speaker 4: My goodness, that was that was just a masterful trade. Well they got giddy out Caruso in. It's just looking I see no weaknesses.
Speaker 1: Maybe Jack should have had that that ticket for this season the next year of the Oklahoma City Thunder winning at all.
Speaker 3: But yeah, I feel like every move was in spite of the Lakers, you know what I mean, everything has this like take that Lakers, you know what I mean? Like that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, exactly, Yeah for sure. Oh remember him, CJ.
Speaker 2: To your point, the next one they make when they steal Laurie and hurt everybody's feelings, that's gonna be the one that really hurts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, my goodness.
Speaker 2: They still have they still have a treasure trove of assets that they can move, whether it's you know, guys that are currently you know, on the roster, or the or their future picks. They realistically could push all in right now and something. You know, I would not be surprised if they did.
Speaker 4: The Knicks they got re signed. I think you know, Og was the big piece.
Speaker 1: You don't have to make sure he was coming back, so you know, I'm not gonna I'm not like losing my mind. But yeah, no, they're good. Good bit of business. I gotta say, good bit of business for you.
Speaker 3: The East is slowly getting better, you know, for some reason, the city. You know, well, I'm sure we'll get to the other teams, but it's.
Speaker 1: Just like, I I just yeah, the Celtics are still the best team over there.
Speaker 3: So I'm like, and and maybe and the Bucks did too many things to mess up their situation, so that was gonna be my only threat to them. And then and for some reason, I'll just never say. I just don't feel right no matter. The Sixers could get ninety six Jordan, and I'm like, something's gonna happen over there.
Speaker 1: To Jack here.
Speaker 2: We have Jack here, Jack. Jack has made his appearance.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, just energetically to be we could we could have a whole team of ninety six Jordan's and just's gonna happen. Uh, But yeah, the Sixers signed obviously, Paul George Eric Gordon re signed, Kelly oubre Andre Drummond is back in town them yeah, Martin out of nowhere. Yeah yeah, so uh uh. I on paper, I'm like that, Yeah, that's a winner.
Speaker 4: But I think my close proximity to a Sixers fan has also, like by Osmosis poisoned me too.
Speaker 1: And I'm like, but you never know, man, Like it's it's it is the it is the soft knee crew over there, and I'm a little worried about that. For sure.
Speaker 2: I've seen it. I've seen that reference on you know, like on Twitter. I'm gonna be honest with you, I really want this for Jack. Look if my team's gonna if my team it up and we'll get to him later, if my team is not gonna do anything, I really want this for Jack. Yeah, I'd be lying it. I'd be lying if I said I was confident when it comes to you know, the injury history of some of those guys, and you know, and that's not to it's not to you know, rain on anybody's parade. You know, like Philly fans, they have the right to celebrate, you know, getting PG. But I think all of us know we'll be holding our breath, you know, up until the end.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, San Antonio Spurs, Chris Paul has entered the chat. Uh I that this feels.
Speaker 4: I'm and prior to moves of Chris Paul like, yeah, we'll see, like we'll see what happens, But this feels just because Wemby is in such need of somebody like Chris Paul, I feel like that that's that's probably a win for them, no regardless of what happens, whether it's just like what's happening on the court or just by having someone around like that just to help you just overall, you can help you see the game differently. And yeah, Harrison Barnes also like, look at this. Wembin Yama born January fourth, two thousand and four. Chris Paul's debut November one, two.
Speaker 3: Lord, we're so I was a cool, grown adult when CP three, you know, came in. What I just saw Cooper Flag in an interview. Yes, say he was born in two thousand and six.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that's not real. What he's one in.
Speaker 2: Two thousand and six. I don't know if it was the same interview, but he like they asked him the greatest team of all time and he hit us with eighty six Celtics, which shut the hell up. Also, we understand you. You know you watch some games with your daddy and I'm not mar Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like when we used to say, like, oh, I like early Pink Floyd, but we just had heard someone say that.
Speaker 1: You know, do you remember that like video that was blowing up on TikTok where someone was just talking trash about those little league players where they're like, my favorite rapper is M F. Doom And he'd be like, no, an older kid told you to say yes and like doing commentary that Look I get it, but look you gotta have a respect for history. Obviously I won't. I want you know, I'm not going to knock you for that. The Lakers are not doing anything, okay, and then moving on.
Speaker 4: No, let's talk about them last, because the probably the most to be most to be upset about the Clippers though they lost PG for nothing, because again, this this is all because of the second Aprien.
Speaker 1: A lot of a lot of teams are having to do this thing where they're.
Speaker 4: Like, is this worth it or do we just completely dismantle what we've here? They they re upped with James Harden. Uh, Derek Jones Junior went that way, Kevin Porter Junior.
Speaker 1: I would just say what, uh yeah.
Speaker 3: The I love how everyone was like the people who the journalists were like qualifying him being back in the NBA. They're like, and he went off and it's six months overseas in a vacation resort playing back, and now he is making his return. It's like, no, stop signing him.
Speaker 1: Right yeah? Uh? And then you have Batom Chris Dunne.
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, probably got some stuff here storage unit.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, pat that he had one game last in this recent season where I was like, okay, okay, but you still got.
Speaker 1: It right right, but still feels a little flimsy. Feels a little flimsy, you know, counting on Kawhi and James Harden. But I'm just saying this to cope with my own situation. I'm gonna be completely honest. Most of the things I've been saying since the finals ended have just been me coping on Mike this whole time because it is difficult. I'm not going to lie. I thank you everybody who sent me well wishes, and even though haters that sent me memes, I appreciated the Nuggets too. Okay, we gotta talk about the Nuggets. Last KCP considering Russell Westbrook, Reggie and traded Reggie Jackson. I am curious where this is headed because again we're talking about the second aprin the new CBA and how that is just creating a lot of movement, a lot of motion. And I get it, it's to create.
Speaker 4: More parody and equity in the league and things like that, but it is wild to just sort of see these like these like squads that were working immediately just kind of be like, yeah, we're gonna have to just kind of completely break this thing up. First of all, with west Brook, I've read I was reading like that was is that a Jokic desire?
Speaker 2: That's what the word was was that he was absolutely in favor of it, which you know, I I won't even clown. What I will say is, if you're a player out there and you see, you know, like the way that Westbrook approaches the game, you know, outside of the like the antis when he gets in you know, you know, gets worked up, whatever, I could see why you'd be like, hey, look there's productivity there. I can totally see it. So, like I I like, yeah, yeah, no, even though we clowned you know, you know, a couple of years back, we clown Lebron and Ad for wanting that, I actually deep down understood it. Uh. And you know what, if you're Denver, you may be looking at a situation where, if I'm not mistaken Jamal Murray, he's due for you, you know, to re up next summer, and you may have to make some tough choices. So having a guy like Westbrook that gets still productive and can kind of play, you know, multiple positions, I can. I'm I'm trying to convince myself, but I can.
Speaker 1: See right the logic.
Speaker 3: I just feel like, yeah, they've they've very much figured out system, and Westbrook isn't the guy to fill that.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: It's like you need a guy who can hit threes and we all my fingers are still sore from crossing my fingers that those shots would.
Speaker 1: Go in when you play for the Lakers.
Speaker 3: So yeah, it's it's it's worse. And I think if anything, that's that we might be finding. Jokic's weakness is that he's not much of a GM or doesn't have the confidence of some of these player gms. We've seen in on some of these other teams of knowing who to demand, and you know they they've lost out on Bruce Brown, Jeff Green, and there was no one saying anything right and now they lost ksep Uh.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I mean I think I guess it's Christian Brown's time and maybe Peyton Watson and some of these other guys.
Speaker 5: But it really hasn't been seen yet.
Speaker 2: As someone that watched them chip away actually just completely destroy that championship roster in twenty twenty. Yes, I'm bringing it to the Lakers, I know, but it looks like when you start to kind of chip away at that.
Speaker 1: Championship thinking you can get away with it, thinking.
Speaker 2: You can get away with it.
Speaker 1: No no, no, no no.
Speaker 4: But hey, I mean Jokic works with like thoroughbreds and stuff. Maybe he can rehabilitate this one and Russell Westbrook.
Speaker 1: You know, I believe that. And for some weird reason, I'm like, yeah, yo, Kis knows what he's doing, Like even though it could go any number of ways, as men leus have witnessed, But for some reason, I'm like, nah, he's too cold and calculating to make any kind of mistake. For some reason he may figure it out, but yeah, that doesn't look great. And uh, CJ.
Speaker 4: You mentioned the Bucks, you know, like, and everybody in the East is getting stronger.
Speaker 1: Celtics just got their eighteenth three sixers, and Knicks are also augmenting their roster. But you know, we got an older dame and another thing that made us feel this is Giannis's twelfth season. Oh man, man, really no, that's crazy. What years? That makes sense?
Speaker 3: So yeah, I remember being in an empty apartment I had just moved back here and just being like, oh this the honest guy is huge and skinny.
Speaker 5: Are tall and skinny? And then yeah, man, twelve years.
Speaker 4: Dang, yeah, look at them now and they still have Doc Rivers as head coach.
Speaker 3: So well, but then Doc got some help. He got our boy darting hand and Torrian Prince.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jabari, what's your feeling on the Bucks here? You? Uh, I know, I think leaning if it's a binary between winter and loser, it feels more loser than winter.
Speaker 2: Loser to me, specifically, because I remember, look, the Lakers made the Western Conference finals, you know, last season, and then everyone else got better around him and they just decided like, oh no, we'll just kind.
Speaker 1: Of yeah, we'll see how you just do that again.
Speaker 2: It'll work. We had a Bucks team they were decimated by injuries. Obviously they didn't get you know, I think what they're out in the first round. You know this year, you already mentioned it. Dame's gonna be thirty four down stretch of this season. You know, Giannis is no, you know, no spring chicken himself. I feel like they have to swing for the fences once again and point in order in order to you know, kind of you know, re solidify themselves. Not saying that they're going to be weak. I just I'm just not a believer that you can just oh, okay, we'll just figure it out in year two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, Yeah.
Speaker 4: The idea that it's like, well, if so and so and so and so step up, then we'll be okay. And it's like, you don't know what what timeline people are on, and I get the idea of that being able to happen or what you see may seem promising, but it's not a promised thing by any means.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: The Warriors, again, we touched on Clay and obviously Chris Paul.
Speaker 1: They added Kyle Anderson, Buddy healed I.
Speaker 3: WoT it take anybuddy, buddy heal now you know we joked about it for a year.
Speaker 1: He was there, he was there for weeks.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well someone Myles Turner.
Speaker 1: He's still available, right man, I know that's oh god.
Speaker 2: No disrespect, Megan, no Diffe.
Speaker 1: Yeah I remember.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we were coveting our neighbor's roster against the whatever commandment and yeah them all. Yeah, and so what if they man, if they are, if they're able to school Lowry Laurie.
Speaker 1: Uh what yeah, they might they might be doing Okay, I don't know.
Speaker 2: I mean it feels like right now they're losers simply because you know, like I look, no disrespect to any of these guys, like we just say, the Lakers would have taken quite frankly all of them.
Speaker 1: H yeah, but we were taking up anyone including I'll take us C J.
Speaker 4: Miles and.
Speaker 1: Just I need to see some movement.
Speaker 2: But if you're the Warriors, like say, they don't make this, you know, they don't you know, pull this deal off from market in the and they kind of go in as currently constituted. They're going to be competitive, but they're not going anywhere, right. And if you're Steph no, I'm not you know, starting your rumors. But if you're Steph, how long do you say do you say, like, okay, yes, I want to continue to you know, push them, push the stone up the mountain.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, oh wow.
Speaker 2: References are ya?
Speaker 4: Just so you know, this is a very high minded podcast. You know, y'all not messing with sisyphus find your own podcast.
Speaker 3: I love you said that, because is it me who is reading so into all these pictures and photos of Team USA right now and the bonding that Lebron, Steph and a d you know, just these like them pushing mics O away.
Speaker 1: I like to dream a little bit, you know. Oh we're Lakers fans. We only live in a dream world.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Golden State, you can have it all.
Speaker 1: Let's go, Yeah, what do you want to bring Steph home? Every big swad never thought be saying it, but bring Steph home.
Speaker 2: Lez.
Speaker 4: We'll definitely get the Team USA in a second, but let's take a quick break. We'll come back to talk about Orlando, touch back again on the MAVs and the Lakers, and then you know, check a few other things around the league before talking about TMS.
Speaker 1: It will be right back and We're back. Where were we? Orlando?
Speaker 4: They resigned most of their core dudes, you know, except for not for Kel Markel. We'll see where you go.
Speaker 1: We'll see where you go. We don't know what happened to They signed Contavious called Little Pope KCPS that way, and you know they they it seems like they're addressing their weaknesses. Yeah, I really don't. I don't have anything this Yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Feel like because I mean, like we all we went into the postseason saying like, are they going to have enough scoring? Are they gonna have enough shooting? I Like, I love KCP. I I definitely wanted him to return, but I still feel like they still need additional shooting my alone in.
Speaker 4: That or No, I know, I think that's that's spot on him because like the thing, they don't have to worry about his defense, So all the pieces you can add to create more firepower, I think are absolutely essentially give them like what we saw in the plust season for sure.
Speaker 3: And Paul Paulo is flourishing, like like he is becoming a superstar in front of our eyes. So and they and they also just don't have that pressure, you know, so like, yeah, if they if they get slowly better over the next three years, everyone's just gonna always be like, you know, good for the magic and then snap like the East O KC thunder, you know, like and so yeah, we'll see. I mean, it was interesting to hear them be mentioned in some of these free agency rumors for like some.
Speaker 1: Of these big guys.
Speaker 3: I was like, oh, that that's like a first sign of like this is a real team.
Speaker 1: Yeah for sure. Yeah, and they're taking seriously, they got they have goals they're trying to achieve. I wonder does like, if you have a family, does moving to Orlando feel like yo, you know, and like my kids might not like I might not, you know, they don't want to be uprooted. But we'll live at Disney World. Is that okay? Taxes and yeah, I think it's real. A bunch of guys still have house, is there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Right, if you like being in a bubble, just not in the bubble, you know, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: The good time remember those and like we said, Mavericks, they traded for Clay and Quinton Grimes, they signed signed Naji Marshall. It's you know, we'll see what goes on there.
Speaker 4: I've I'm curious to see how what the maps actually ended up looking like once the season starts, because if they were running on straight fumes at the end of that and a lot of the deficiencies became very clear, very quickly, and then the Lakers did nothing, so then we can just move on.
Speaker 1: So then like Els in the league, Tatum and re upped. Okay, so the Lakers. Yeah, what is happening right now? I have no idea. Is Rob Palinka some kind of confidence man? To use the formal terms, what do you mean? What do you like? I'm just I don't know.
Speaker 4: I don't know what I don't know. I just don't know what he's thinking. I don't know what his area of expertise is.
Speaker 1: Like. Sometimes you're like, okay, okay, Rob, we see you. And other times I'm like, that's the wrong decision, completely done. Don't listen to them. And sometimes I feel like we're becoming like the Raiders of the NBA. Yeah, you know, Genie got that bowl cut? You know what I mean? Like Mark Davis. Yeah, man, it's it's baffling. That's the word I'm gonna use.
Speaker 3: Because we had some major, major problems that we've been talking about for the whole second half of the season, and we have not made a single attempt to fix any of it, you know, And I hope JJ is good. But like I think the play that we all wanted to do was it was sort of just get a coach in there that had a resume who could be a little bit better on play call.
Speaker 5: JJ is just way, big, way, much more of a gamble.
Speaker 1: And a guest there.
Speaker 3: So like a little uneasy about that, but I'll be patient there. And it's a it's a it's a change up at the very least from Darvin.
Speaker 5: We need a center. We need a center. We need to go back to ad playing the four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And just like I've seen so many centers just get signed and go by, like I would have taken Mason Plumbley, Like I don't. I don't think what Jackson Hayes showed last year is like the answer to I. I just don't think given him more minutes is like, you know, getting me to sleep more hours in the night.
Speaker 1: So no, not at all.
Speaker 2: I love I love Jackson's energy, I love what he brings a third big man, but he's too light, he's too light and to behind if I'm not mistaken. He's like forty pounds lighter than a d an ad liked for the position, right right, Yeah, like nothing at all wrong with happen him on your roster. In fact, like I said, as a third big guy. But yeah, I would have taken Valentunis like he he ended up. You know, that was go to Washington.
Speaker 1: That was yeah, that was like what's going on? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Is it?
Speaker 1: And then I'm like, are we cursed?
Speaker 2: Like like maybe it's me? Maybe maybe it is us.
Speaker 1: I've never even said that out loud. I think it was the first time I said is it us?
Speaker 4: And I don't that's growing. I don't like that thought. No, I need to go back to my cognitive distance and be like we're it's fine. When we signed Steph, it'll be all right. You don't have to worry about anything. But yeah, it really was hard to hear about, like going into free agency're like, okay, there's some potential people who're looking at and then they're all just going somewhere else.
Speaker 1: And like then hearing like we didn't even approach Derosen at all, like outside of just kind of saying like yeah, we're interested, but we're.
Speaker 2: They gonna make a move. Never got him on the phone.
Speaker 1: Wild That is absolute wild stuff.
Speaker 3: You know, call me crazy. Going back to the Stunner talk, there's part of me that we could even explore Tristan Thompson, you know of like there was that small glimpse remember that small Western Conference finals? Was there Kristin Thomson, you know, maybe even coming as a veteran, as a veteran leader even but none of that we go mour guard I know.
Speaker 1: I uh yeah, we're screaming out for it.
Speaker 4: I don't I honestly, I'm like, who is out there even now that we could even get excited about? That feels like we're addressing the actual problems because if there isn't and we end up doing some really terrible business just trying to shoehorn someone in because there's like a deal, and we end up giving up pieces we really shouldn't be. I'm starting to really think about, like what's even realistic and what should our options be here?
Speaker 2: I don't know, CJ feels I would still be happy with Cam Johnson. Somebody you know, like a s very effective long you know, can obviously shoe you know, like you know, you know, take some of the pressure off of the main guys. And that's not even to say that he wouldn't be a make you know, take some pressure off of Lebron and a d you know, obviously we talked about Laurie earlier. That might be a pipe dream because I don't necessarily know that they have the draft capital to get that done with age, but.
Speaker 1: Has been quoting around again.
Speaker 2: Ye yeah, and if you need a five, there you go, a young five that had you know, last year was a down year, but that's you know, that rookie year. He looks solid, you know, solid. So there's there are rooms out there. It's just a matter of are you know, are we gonna get in? Are we going to get in the pool?
Speaker 4: And that Yeah, I just oh man, now, I'm like maybe you know, it's all about Dalton connect you know, kin a gang kin a gang being being.
Speaker 2: Bang, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I'm please something.
Speaker 4: I'm just so yeah, I'm getting a little black pilled here and I do not like it.
Speaker 1: And I mean, Jabari, you said you were going to say this on the show, but are you gonna say it?
Speaker 2: I'll say it. I'll say it. With the financial situation, this would be the and they're like, may be clear, they're not going to do this every day. This is going to say, you're an idiot, and this is logical. What you're about to say, I'll be there now would actually be the time to press reset? Now would actually be that time, and and and and just and if you're rob you haven't been able to, you know, do it these last four years with those main guys. You know, with those two guys. I'm not saying you get rid of both of them. I'm just saying I would at least explore the conversation. If you don't think that you're going to be able to get anything, don't or if in fact you're not going to be able to get anything done. But I don't know, honestly don't. I don't know if he has that heart well.
Speaker 4: But it's also such cruel timing, right, It's like we can't afford to not get the most out of Lebron or a D this next year, Like we just can't.
Speaker 1: Like that's just not a luxury we have. So we've done it.
Speaker 3: We we did it the last three years where we messed up a D seventy six games this pastime. So that is that is all that is great evidence as to why why not reset now when you know when you have ad ati value. I mean, but we we know that the ship isn't necessarily being steered just by Lincoln and and yes, and Lebron is one of the greatest players of all time. So like we've seen what what else that means to you know, the front office into you know, just the power of of everything. So I'm not I'm not like we got to do it now. I understand why we're not. But it is going to be like brownhog Day again. If we have to have that dash, you know, second half of the season to make the play in to they get a seed in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: We keep stepping in that damn puddle. We can't.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, well, hey, you know the most important team America.
Speaker 4: That's right, That's what I like to talk about all day, Stars and stripes forever, So team USA.
Speaker 1: And see and this is why CJ. You're not just a brilliant guest, but a brilliant post.
Speaker 4: You know, you kept me from spinning spiraling and put me onto a something brighter. Because did y'all watch the scrimmage the scrimmages, the wow first of all, just seeing this team together is kind.
Speaker 1: Of mind blowing. Yeah, It's been a while since I've looked at a team USA and was like, yo, like this is something.
Speaker 2: Can I just tell you? Yes, s primmage is why. I's part of why I say, hey, it might be time to press reset shag for Flag, but please continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, Cooper, flag looks like Yeah, I just said in my own made up language, which is supposed to be legitimate. There's that one sequence when he like he had the ball of the top of the key. I was like, Okay, Drew Holliday is about to rip you, bro, even I don't know what you're thinking.
Speaker 4: And he, you know, dude, skate boom ad switch to him and he said, watch this bo net music string music, call me Mozart. Then the following possession just finishing at the rim, I was like, this.
Speaker 1: Kid, yeah, is spooky. Uh, he is gonna be so good. I'm I'm excited, slash like upset because I know he's not gonna I don't I don't know where he's gonna end up, but it won't be the Lakers, and then I'm gonna have to end up being like man, you know he was all right, bro, you know.
Speaker 2: You know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, you're right, You're right.
Speaker 4: But yeah, I saw someone you put this in the dock. I saw this tweet too, where people were like, who's winning this Battle Team USA twenty twenty four or two thousand and eight and just looking at them, like I look at two thousand and I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, yeah, that was a great team too, But I don't know, there's something about looking at this twenty twenty four team and I'm like, this is spooky and nasty in every right way.
Speaker 2: I'll let CJ go first because I've got a controversial take.
Speaker 3: Okay, who would win it between two thousand and twenty twenty four.
Speaker 1: Eight? Who's on two thousand and eight Redeem Team?
Speaker 2: Yeah? That was the Redeem tam yet that was okay Prime Cob. Yeah you had Prime Lebron, Prime uh CP three, Prime Mellow uh you know, uh, Prime Dwight White, Chris Bosh uh no disrespect Prime Chris bos. Everybody was pretty much in their prime except kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Man, I might go with two thousand and eight. It's tough, you know why.
Speaker 3: I just feel like, well, it's Kobe, It's I mean, we had I watched the doc Kobe was out of his mind running through his own teammates. But you know what, I just like this, We're you have the the superstars, the legends on our current team right now are not in their prime. You know, they're still playing excessionally well, but like there's such a between, Like you got Lebron, then you have and Edwards and Tyres Haliburton on this team. Like that is such a gap in between. I feel like you have all the.
Speaker 5: Guys in their prime on two thousand and eight.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Dwight's on there, like Dwight is still the White is nasty and oh yeah yeah, all right, I think eight beats all of them.
Speaker 2: I think all of No, Wow, dust Yay, Look you I recognized Jordan. Look they had they had They had Jordan at it at his peak. They had and I'm not taking anything away from that. They had Pippin, they had they you know, Robinson, they had other guys that were still in their relative primes. But Magic and Bird I'm sorry, man, Like y'all know, Magic is my favorite player of all time. Like I am biased beyond belief when it comes to Magic, but that's that wouldn't magic, you know what I'm saying that that was post career magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, yeah, that was like a swan song for people.
Speaker 2: People will throw twenty sixteen up there, people will throw twenty twenty out there, and I do get it those two like in particular, but I honestly believe, even with a smaller front court, two thousand and eight is the best.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I could be. I could be sold on that for sure. I mean you sold me on it right there.
Speaker 3: Looking at that picture, I was like I kind of want oh oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah Olympic mellowly oh yes, Kobe Bryant.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like memory holding that whole thing. When that was like one of the most like to your point about the doc, I was like, that is yeah, wild, wild wild, But yeah, I mean tim Sa looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You know, Ant continues to be like the master of just fantastic answers. When I's a serious question, Who's who's Ant off the court? You know, that's that's the person we want to know?
Speaker 4: Marlow Marlow's Yeah, but yeah, I'm I'm is anyone.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm not who we who should we be looking at in Paris to be like, Okay, we're gonna have to get through them because I'm I'm my American arrogance is coming out again.
Speaker 3: Like, but this team, yeah, I feel like the I mean, the international talent is big, but like it's a little bit scattered.
Speaker 2: Canada is gonna be Canada'll be good.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, Canada is a major threat.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, I mean, well we will see.
Speaker 1: I'm I'm really excited just for everything happening in the Olympics.
Speaker 2: Just generally, you get the silver, last last round, last Olympics. I feel like Slovenia was in there, could it?
Speaker 1: Did they qualify it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, I'm talking about last Olympics.
Speaker 1: Last Olympics.
Speaker 4: Toyo, Japan got sober Oh no, no, that's women that was in the women was us. France got the silver, France okay. And then Australia. Australia I got your bed place, get the bronze. Middle Uh it's pretty good performs from them. Uh yeah, so we've been there. Yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: And then just like a couple other things obviously, like you know, Obie Topping re signing with the Pacers. Good to see Obi kind of find himself. Yeah. Absolutely. We talked about Valentiunis going to the Wizards. Maxie. We love Maxi here, don't we love Tyreese MAXI five year, two hundred four million dollar deal. What was that clip?
Speaker 4: I saw a clip going around where he was like like giving and beat his flowers and saying like, you know, you were the first.
Speaker 1: Guy to to believe in me, and I really appreciate that, and he got all teared up. It was a very like, very wonderful moment.
Speaker 4: But it helps, like you understand because everyone's like Ti Maxy is like one of the sweetest guys, Like he is one of the best people.
Speaker 1: To be around in the league. And I just remember seeing that clip and being like he he seems like such a sincere Yeah, any team is lucky to have him, and that I just.
Speaker 3: Was watching before this, was watching Jared McCain, like a log that Jared McCain put out.
Speaker 1: I'm like, that is gonna be the nicest back court and I know he's so nice. This is such such a sweetye back court.
Speaker 2: Just just just guy, just good guys. Yeah.
Speaker 1: He was also a big lego fan, right, wasn't didn't I see? Was he stunting with his legos to Jared or or Tyrese. There's a few guys, no Jared. I know who else was that on? There's Miles, There's there's the Lopez by they are yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, you know he's it seems like maybe he is a Lego guy. Anyway, shout out to all the Lego heads out there, one of one of the most underrated toys to this day. Ye feelings thoughts on Team USA before we keep this show moving. I do hope most competitive? I do hope.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, because because you already we already have to stuffer through a summer of no basketball usually, but like, and I don't know if you guys are heading down a summer league, but it's gonna be thick. Like we got Summer League and TMOSA all in Vegas right now.
Speaker 5: Like it feels like it really hasn't stopped.
Speaker 3: It went from finals free agency, Team USA Summer League, you know, and then hopefully we close our eyes and we're back in the season.
Speaker 1: Yeah truly, and hopefully close my eyes and open them and then we've signed someone to Yeah, that would be that would be. That would be great too.
Speaker 2: Now to your points, DJ, Yeah, if I'm not mistaken, Like after the Olympics, you've got like three weeks and then camps love it people are like media days like okay, love it are first.
Speaker 1: I think TSA's first game is against South Sudan, so I don't kind of see who is in that group, but it will be interesting. All right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back to put in the Hottest seat. Oh boy, Sports Podcasts the hot seat rights, and we're back. CJ toldone h you're such a nice guy. You're the time Axi of podcasting. Everyone says you're one of the sweetest guys around and I hate doing this to you, but to get grilled order, it's time for the rapid fire rounded question, the fastest question and answer segment in all sports podcasting history. Get in the hot seat right now, hit on with the spotlight because we're going in. Are we ready? Yes? You know how this goes.
Speaker 5: I always do it wrong. I always do it wrong.
Speaker 4: True, And we can't get mad at you again. We can't get mad because your energy is so pure. You're so pure of heart.
Speaker 1: And even I'm even prevented from being my normal rude self. Listeners of the show are no I'm famous for But shall we do this? Jabari? Are you ready?
Speaker 2: I am ready listen to you ready.
Speaker 1: C J, are you ready? That's the American Gladiators, all right, Bryan Hawk hit me all right, yeah, exactly. I wanted to play that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so bad favorite lace.
Speaker 1: And you get that little Kazooka arrow thing that you have a little target turbo. Yeah. Man, I haven't forgot where I was, and I forgot this is an NBA podcast, not a retro Gladiators dreamer show. Uh, Jabari please go first, all right, c J.
Speaker 2: One question for you? Who is the face or will be the faces of the league for the next five years?
Speaker 1: Andthy wards?
Speaker 3: Jason Tatum, Joe l Embiida.
Speaker 2: I was wondering what I'm like, sorry, entirely too far.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, and Luca there's a there's a few.
Speaker 3: There's a few, I mean, but then you're forgetting s g A, you know, but he's even like kind of.
Speaker 1: Older compared to that group. Who else is out there?
Speaker 3: I mean, Jalen Brunson, Tyrese Halliburton, Uh.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the list goes on, list goes on.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, the apolog about to come out and get you.
Speaker 1: I was just also curious, who's this wembing y'ama y'all keep talking about he's an alien. It's not even a guy on the Spurs. The alien guy. Yeah, I call him guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, CJ.
Speaker 4: Next question, you can retroactively space jam yourself. Got a space jam is a documentary hoodie, so this is an appropriate question. Space jam yourself into having Robert Rory's career or Charles Barkley's career.
Speaker 2: Friend of the show Robert Ory, we should mention man.
Speaker 3: Yeah no, And I love Robert Orian and through iHeart, I've gotten to interview him and it was a very It was a pleasure because he was talking about how when he played for the Lakers, Salma Hyak was like inviting him to dinner and stuff, and it's like, you know, it's one it's one thing to be playing basketball for a living as a dream, but then it opens up doors to be going to dinner with Salma Hya.
Speaker 1: You know that's like he went to dinner with Salma Hyatt. Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 3: And he was like whispering it while because his wife was like right, I was like why did you get quiet? But uh man, you know, I just such respect and admiration for Charles Barkley. He you know, had he was one of the best players while playing, and then just has put together this incredible broadcast career. So like the performer and me goes, you can have it all a basketball and and you know, this broadcast career and he's going out on top troops.
Speaker 1: I think I'm going Barkley. Yeah, yeah, I'm not, man, Yeah, that was that was the right answer to see. Yeah, okay for you. For me, it's it's big shot Bob.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: All those rings, I mean, it's all about rings in this thing. You know right here, people know, people already know what time it is. Oh sorry, all.
Speaker 2: Right, see jar someone is coming now, and like this cannot be all right, I won't qualify in advance. Someone's coming to Southern California this summer. One restaurant they need to hit up and it can't be in and out or faberg get me something. Give the people what they want and with.
Speaker 3: Oh man, you know what, this is the chain restaurant that families go to.
Speaker 1: That is probably everywhere.
Speaker 2: I went to win in Akron, Ohio.
Speaker 3: No, it was gonna it's close. Is BJ's brew House? Hey, last week, I am a I am azuki. The pazuki is crazy.
Speaker 1: BJ's holler at us hey.
Speaker 3: BJ's is the spot and needs two. I feel like it had its heyday. There was one in Pasadena that close. I used to go and watch Laker games. I used to celebrate, you know, work things at I feel like and especially in LA, everyone's always talking about these fancy places.
Speaker 1: Him down an alley, back to basics. Yeah, we gotta go back to basic.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, those are those are the purest celebrations when you'd be like, dude, we're going to We're going to Puzukia BJS.
Speaker 1: My bro say less.
Speaker 3: I went to the Montabello Town Center BJS, and I felt at home. It was it was warm, there were families around. There were kids who just played au basketball. Then you had teens. Yeah, and you had some young families. You had people of all ages. And then you can step out and go to a Lids or a Champs.
Speaker 1: Yeah. You know, I love eating at the mall. I gotta say. As I get older, I'm like, I'm telling my wife for like, yo, we need to go to the mall on Friday. We need to save bomb. I'm like, because that's my culture. Like growing up in LA and the nineties and stuff. You went to the mall. Yeah, you were at the mall. That's just what you did. And I'm like, it's funny how I'm just recaptured. I'm like, we're gonna walk by foot locker, Okay, then we'll get a little boba, uh and then maybe get a little you know, like an Auntie Ans or something like that. That's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 2: And to that point, I grew up going to the BJ's in Warner Center right over across bing the mall. Yo, hit up best By. Yeah, hang them all there we were.
Speaker 1: Those are the good old days, man, We're old. I don't know how many said that, man, good old days man. I remember what Yannis is just getting in the league twelve years ago. I remember literally like it was yesterday. Yeah. Wait, oh sidebar CJ. Are you I know you're originally a Bulls fan, right oh yeah, okay, okay, okay, CJ. Next question, follow up?
Speaker 2: Where are you going with that?
Speaker 4: Yep, because you'll understand right now, okay, okay, You're on a life raft and you're in the sea, and you come upon two figures struggling in the water.
Speaker 1: One of them you recognize as BJ Armstrong. The other is none other than Tony Kuk coach. They both need help getting out of the water. But your life raft only has room for one man. Who do you say?
Speaker 3: I feel like I gotta save Tony because that's more championships than he.
Speaker 1: This is now, This is now. Oh man, I might have to be DJ Armstrong because you're like, you got them rings, Tony? Sorry you got those rings? Tony? You can float away on those.
Speaker 5: I think, oh man, Yeah, maybe bj Armstrong?
Speaker 1: You know he was he was, he's de Rosees agent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's still very instrumental with a lot of the current players.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: He's, like you think about a good up and coming point guard.
Speaker 5: His agent is most likely bj Armstrong.
Speaker 1: I didn't even know that. Wait, who else does he represent? I feel like there's I don't even know. I bet you the roster is is.
Speaker 2: Night.
Speaker 1: You think, oh yeah, that makes art Rose. Let's see also bismc Bumbo. Okay, what you jump? JaVale McGee? Maybe I'm wrong?
Speaker 2: Maybe Jackson is that Carlos Arroyo's brother ross oroo?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. Yeah, well, hey, the first first one, I like.
Speaker 5: I think he was running like Washton ran or whatever.
Speaker 1: I don't know, yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's up Javal McGee mb what three time NBA champions?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would have taken Javi McKay this off season.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Look like we say beggars can't be choosers, do not?
Speaker 2: You know? I feel like we do.
Speaker 1: Be like, Man, I'd rather go to the Wizards, And you're like, well, okay, okay, okay, Man, all.
Speaker 4: Right, Uh, Javary go ahead. Sorry, I completely I had to improvise that last question got to zero in one. That's why I asked the question because I didn't. I wanted to ask you something that was going to hit you more your childhood heart than you're fan heart.
Speaker 2: I will shamous Lee Pander. Now, we are planning the Nineties Throwback series this summer, highlight players and teams from that era. Shout off to your co host John will be awesome to have him. Well until you talk about too, but you know we'll get there. Do you mind giving us a few recommendations on of nineties guys we should highlight in nineties so far? Let me give you who we've got so far.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: Uh, you know a friend of the show, Vince Carter. He he recommended you know a couple of guys, but we got Grant Hill, Penny Hardaway, of course, Vince Sean camp Young, Kobe, I mean, duh Ai, the Petrovitch nets, you know, you know, Derek Coleman, Action, Reggie Lewis, Glenn Robinson, and Dennis Rodman. Okay, listening from the nineties.
Speaker 1: R Vidus the Bonus, Oh thank you?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah yeah?
Speaker 3: Who else death left Tramp? Yeah, I mean was Reggie was Reggie Miller on there?
Speaker 1: People?
Speaker 3: I know people have you know, broadcaster Reggie isn't isn't most popular, but Reggie Miller.
Speaker 1: Of course I recognize Ruined, So yeah, he's in there. Patrick Ewing, you know, zing on there?
Speaker 2: Okay. Keem is the one where I'm surprised nobody had mentioned.
Speaker 1: Before, and every day I go because I just saw more footage of him. He's training somebody.
Speaker 3: But his game is like because centers have become now, they're like.
Speaker 5: Oh, they can shoot threes and stuff.
Speaker 3: Can you imagine if you had, like Embiid had that same footwork that a team had. It's just like he's doing some of the moves but not as fluid.
Speaker 1: As a team was. Yeah, yeah, you know you can.
Speaker 3: It's like when an actor. You can see them reading the lines in their head. That's how the modern day center is. The team was just like you get the ball, he's in his spot and then it just flew.
Speaker 1: It just like flows through and that was so beautiful, like a team.
Speaker 3: Is definitely one of my favorite players of all time, and I always forget that. But yeah, who I feel like I'm missing some I mean, j will Jason Williams.
Speaker 2: Is on there.
Speaker 3: Uh Williams, Sorry, yeah, yeah, no, I just saw Mitchell Mitchell Ness was trying to sell some heat throwbacks of Jason went.
Speaker 1: Like he remembers that Jayson Williams.
Speaker 4: If anything, do the high school one with him and Randy Moss Yeah, Nike commercial.
Speaker 1: I was like, I remember, like they went to school together, but both of them right.
Speaker 3: Now we need a quintessential like nineties doc about pop culture and sports together.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and it could be like one hundred part series. Oh easily. I mean just think of like you know, sorry, I just want like, was Widen doing all those Nike basketball I think still back then. I'm like I talk to that person, like I want to talk to person who conceived Fun Police. Yeah you know what I mean, and be like thank you. I tried to buy a big yellow jacket for Halloween. I could have find Oh my god, oh we should do a joint. Let's all of us on here do a joint. Halloween cost next year will be the police police.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, okay, final question for you, CJ. I know you're a big person on style, especially things when it comes to basketball. Name a player sneak your model that isn't of Adidas or Nike that you feel is being slept on.
Speaker 3: I mean, the team acts are incredible. Uh, Team one and two's are are legendary.
Speaker 1: Oh that that aren't Nike your.
Speaker 3: I mean I went out and got those those data Steve Webs They and one spree Wells were dope. The KG the and one just the tie cheat. You know that's what Vince Carter wore in the Dunk contest, the half white and red. Those are still legendary. There's there's got there's like another one that's not Nike your Adidas trying to think the shagnosis rebox diagnosis.
Speaker 1: Dude, the the yes those are also.
Speaker 3: I remember shout out to my co host John Wall he had some some great signature shoes.
Speaker 1: He had those the zig techs uh.
Speaker 3: And then he had another model that they did like this like DC Cherry Boston Colorway.
Speaker 1: That's that's dope.
Speaker 5: But oh yeah, I'm probably missing I mean the pumps, the d brown pumps.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Larry Johnston converses the cons well, react juice, gotta have react juice. Yes, I remember these.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I know I'm gonna get off his cal and go, I'm man, I'm mad. I didn't say that, but.
Speaker 1: No, no, I mean look that sends the answers question.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: There it is there.
Speaker 4: It is Yeah that I can't even ask this question anymore because that was the answer.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 4: CJ Toldo, thank you so much for joining us on Miles and Jabari.
Speaker 1: I got mad at boost these. Uh where do the people find you? Follow your support you listen to engage with your creative and athletic genius at.
Speaker 3: CJ Toldono and then check out Point Game Pod John Waller go through the whole first season. Hopefully we will back to the first season two. I'm going to the Stummer League this weekend and do some video. Check that stuff out all on the follow your channel, Dope Dope, Dope, Dope Dope.
Speaker 1: Well you can follow us on the hashtag mad boost is on Twitter. That's b W O S d I E S. That's you can get show updates and links to all kinds of stuff and also, you know, join in on the conversation on our discord server.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: You can make sure to follow us on Twitter. You can find me at Miles of Gray.
Speaker 2: Can find me at Jori A. Davis. And make sure you follow Jack at Jack Underscore. O'Brien, Hey, you know I'm here.
Speaker 1: Let's let's let it breathe, babe. You know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You're out here.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. You'll be back. You'll be back. You know what I mean. Jack will be back next week. Uh, and we will see you next week for sure, as we continue to monitor the fourishing off season of the NBA and beyond. All Right, y'all take care, We see bye bye
Speaker 3: M