Speaker 1: What's that at the bed. It's spooky and Joki, I'm pretty sure it's dead. It's coming this way.
Speaker 2: Wait a minute, I said.
Speaker 1: By Ross dress Venz police, Hey, boom, it is indeed, I rosdres fales Hey. I was just looking through the Facebook group ghosted by Rosdres Falaise and I found this story that was written by Elizabeth, who writes, Okay, I'm ready to tell my paranormal experience. I grew up in La Now I live in the Midwest. Back in nineteen ninety three ninety four, my paternal grandfather was entombed in the basement level of one of the many malls of Williams at Inglewood Cemetery. Ps. I decided that the shower studio that I'm recording in right now is called my rosalium. Okay, anyway, back to the story. Every two weeks or so, my parents would put fresh flowers in the vase or vase if your fancy attached to the plaque. It was so creepy down there. They had a lobby for urns and an elevator to go down the lower level. My mom is a very religious Catholic woman. She would say her prayers and recite the whole rosary every time she went. Me, being a curious ten year old, I would wander around, reading the names and looking at the trinkets and some pictures people would leave behind.
Speaker 2: As I was.
Speaker 1: Walking down one of the hallways, I noticed a man in a suit walking kind of in a brisk way. I noticed he was swaying his arms back and forth, which I found kind of odd. I found it really odd that, to my knowledge, there was no one down there. We never saw anyone when when we visited. Me being a curious and a naive kid, I followed the man made a right turn where he was walking and it was a dead end, a freaking wall. Was there no way he could have turned around and walked back, only if he walked through the wall. Talk about dead end, that is true. I was confused. Then I got scared and ran back to my parents. I never went back after that. Ooh, Elizabeth, that is creepy. A ghost walking brisk with their arms going back and forth. Terrifying. Guys, I'm so excited about the conversation that I have on today's episode. I am joined by Harvey Gien, who you may know as Guillermont on what we Do in the Shadows, which is a show that is on FX. It's had two seasons and I love the show so much. It's based on the movie What We Do in the Shadows sort of, you know, it's new characters, but I would love if you've never seen the movie What We Do in the Shadows, you should totally check it out because I love it so much. It's funny. It's very mockumentary style, and it's about vampires that live in a house together as roommates and it's hilarious. So, you know, I don't know Harvey. I have never met him, but we have some mutual friends and I thought I would, you know, just hit him up. And I was so honored that he got back to me. And I think we had a really good time and hopefully we'll become great friends once we're all allowed to go out and make friends. So, without further ado, Harvey agin on with the show.
Speaker 2: Hello Harvey, how are you, Hiram?
Speaker 1: Congratulations on the Emmy.
Speaker 2: Oh thank you. I'm super excited. We're in really great uh you know company, Like there was a great year for comedy and I was actually surprised because honestly, there was such you know, stiff competition. Then when they announced it, I was kind of like whoa, Like I jumped out of my seat. I was like, whoa. It was weird to see the name of the show on the screen when Leslie was announcing him, and she kind of went I feel like she was done already because she announced Marvels Maso and that won last year. So we're like, oh, they always finished with the winner from last year because and I think I called it quit. I was like, oh, well, that's it, and then she quickly said, oh, and what were doing in the Shadows? And I was like what And I was like, huzzah.
Speaker 1: Well, seeing a spooky like a spooky comedy show getting nominated for an Emmy unheard of sane, unheard of insane. And also as a proud LATINX queer person that dreams of being a vampire, I feel very seen by your presence on television and thank you for being yet.
Speaker 2: You know what, that's so like, that's really sweet. And I had no idea that the importance of that demographic, you know, because there isn't a lot of representation when it comes to like queer, you know, LATINX in the world of goth and darkness and creepiness and all of that, which makes no sense because thirty percent of the buying you know, power for anything that's creepy and scary and thriller movies is Latin people.
Speaker 1: We love that stuff. We love it.
Speaker 2: We live for it. We live for a good urna or like a good you know, like a good.
Speaker 1: As did you? So, did you grow up pretty uh, you know believing in that kind of stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I feel like you know, there's always like I grew up with like superstitions like and and traditions just there were kind of a lot of them loosely based off religious beliefs. You know, I grew up Catholic, so there are certain things that you did, like if you drove by a church, you you know, you you crossed yourself with like you know, uh Lendon, when you when you get on the freeway, you do the same you do like a crucifix on your body, like you uh, things like that where I never understood it because I was like literal and I was like, what are we doing? Every time you get on the freeway, you get in the freeway, you have to do it to yourself and your mom does it to you, which is like a blessing. And I always thought, Wow, that's so cool. But then I noticed that none of my friends did it. When they're in their car going eighty five miles an hour and their new you know car that their daddy bought them, and I was like, wow, you're going really fast there, Shelley, and they're like I was like, gee, that's really fascinat you didn't even give them in DC on to yourself. She was like, you got to do too that so damn, Shelley.
Speaker 1: So yeah, do you find that because I grew up Catholic too, and I feel that because of that it I think that that religion, how do I say this? It it's got it's got its supernatural tones to it, for sure. I mean it's very I believe it's very at times, like kind of horror, Like there's there's a couple of things that are real spooky that happened in the Catholic Church. And I think that it causes you to just naturally believe it if you're raised that way.
Speaker 2: Do you feel that? I totally agree. I feel like it's a thin line, isn't It's like a thin line between I'm religious and Catholic, and I believe in supernatural powers, and there's definitely witches and warlocks, and like, it's a really thin line because if you believe one, you can easily believe the other, which is by saying that, I mean like if you believe there's a higher you know, God, and like which I always consider myself to be not religious but spiritual, which is like something that because I grew up Catholic, but I don't practice, you know, still, And I was just like, I still feel spiritual, which is weird because I was raised Catholic, but I was just like, I do believe that there is a greater you know what I mean, and there the divine and whatnot, and but it's weird to grow up Catholic and think that, Yeah, it goes hand in hand if you believe in this, you believe in the other and then sometimes intertwined, which could be scary, which kind of I feel like has happened to me a couple of times.
Speaker 1: Ooh, let's hear it. Okay, So what is the first paranormal thing that has happened to you?
Speaker 2: The first thing that ever happened that was paranormal to me was I was living with well, we were living with my aunt and we were in Santa Anna, and I was about four or five, and I was in my room and we're just leaving there temporarily. I remember why. I think we just moved in for like the summer, because we're going to move to a different apartment, or times were hard, like we were. I was poor, so I probably would have just been told that. I was like, we're moving apartments in a month, but we just needed to move somewhere for the time being. And I was living there, and I just the room that I was staying and always had this cold, like weird like I'm just sensitive to energy, and I've always been that way, Like when I meet people, if I meet you right away, I can just sense if I'm gonna like you or not, or if I can sense that you're a good person, which is weird because you can't make that. You can't judge a book by its energy, but you can't. And I will slow down, Shelley, Shelley, and I just remember that in that room, I just always felt that it was this cold, like even though it was summertime, I need a blanket, and I was just like really cold in there. And I was like, with the a season even on, we can't afford a see like it's like keep the windows, you know.
Speaker 1: Oh, that's why ghosts are the best for the sung most are my best friends during the summer.
Speaker 2: They helped me not sweat through my clothes. So I was just laying in bed one day and the lights were on, and so because I'm a scaredy cat, and like the little nightlight, you know, but it glares up you can see it reflecting up to where you're looking up into the ceiling. And so I was looking at the ceiling you can see the light. And then in the corner of the room, something started moving and I just thought, that's weird. What is that, Like a shadow or something, And it was a shadow. But then the shadow started crawling towards the center of the room, and it had claws and it had two horns, and it climbed like it was climbing backwards, but I could visually just I could still see it today. It climbed all the way to the center of the room, right where my bed was, right on top of me, and it just moved its head from left to right and right to left and kept looking at me. But I couldn't see its face. It was a shadow. It was all a silhouette. I could see it. I could see that it had a tail, and I see that it had claws, and I saw that it had horns, and I was like, that's that's the motherfucking devil. The devils in my room. The devil went down to Harvey's room and looking for assault to steal. And I to this day, I was like, I remember freezing, like I just froze, and I was just like I looked at it and it just it was moving, and then I remember, Jess, I passed out. I just remember, Yeah, I was so traumatized. I literally remember my eyes rolling back to my like sockets. And I came to and it was morning.
Speaker 1: I have goosebumps right now. Wait, yeah, was this like a sleep paralysis kind of a thing.
Speaker 2: Did you feel like? I don't know. I don't think I have to press because none of my past like partners or lovers have told me, hey, you have to. But I don't think it was that. And then to this day, I don't know if it was just my imagination playing tricks on me, and then I just fell asleep to the idea of that, because I just remember the fear. I just I steal when I think about it. I remember the fear that I had looking at it crawling like it was crawling, you know, upside down backwards. I couldn't tell what was front what was back because it was a shadow. And so I was like, wait, is that in the outside of the house. How could it be in the outside of the house that it's a shadow and it's inside the shadow is being reflect like. It didn't make sense. It just it don't make no sense. And I didn't have time to put those pieces together. I just passed out, and I remember, you know, when I woke up in the morning, I convinced myself like, oh that was that was like a dream, right, And then I come this off over the years, and then looking back, I was like, that wasn't a dream because I remember such detail. You know, when you wake up from a dream, you're like, well, you wake up in the moment. Usually it's the other way around, when you have a nightmare, you wake up, you wake up from the nightmare. But this way it was opposite. I felt if I fell asleep, I fell asleep to a horrible visual and then just slept like a baby through the night, and then the next morning I woke up. Now looking back, I was like, that is so weird and fucked up because I dis remember the fear. It was so scary that I passed out. I literally just want my eyes. I passed out and I came to the next morning and it was like nothing. And I remember I did not want to sleep in that room again. I did not. I was like, I don't want to sleep here, Like, well, that's the room. I don't want to sleep here. And I was like, well it's either that out of the living room, like that's okay, And I slept in the living room. We were only there for like another maybe four days or something, but I didn't want to go back in that room. And I just remember it was like it was it traumatized me. I was so sensitive to that. But also after that, I was just like, is it my fault because I'm so sensitive to energy? Like I welcomed it, you know, Like did I welcome that energy because it's like it can see me, you know, which I imagine his voice or its voice. I shouldn't put a gender to it, but like its voice sounds like that you.
Speaker 1: Know right, well, did you bring it up to your aunts or anybody?
Speaker 2: I was too scared. I was too scared to bring it up because also I want to be a rude guest and say, hey, your house is fucking hunted.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that demon in your room. It was kind of a little disturbing.
Speaker 2: These are great that my list. By the way, your fucking room's ounted. And I'm also like, I'm six, and there's this weird like, you know, maybe I don't know this is true, but like at least with like you know, Latinox culture, Like it's like you when you're a guest at someone's house, even if you don't like the food or you don't like the accommodations, you do not complain.
Speaker 1: Is that think that like let the demon crawl on you. I don't want to be rude.
Speaker 2: But do you feel like that's the same. Do you feel like that? Like growing up, do you like if you went to your aunt's house or your cousins were visiting, like you gave up your bed, Like if your aunts and stuff are visiting the house, you gave up your room. And it was like it was like the thing, like you give up your room, you sleep in the room. You have to be a good post. And that's what they were doing, basically, you know, complain like you never complain about like, oh, I don't eat pork, and it's like you do today, you know, and it's like you do. You don't complain about the food. You don't. It's like rude. I remember my mom, like you learned that lesson really quickly. Like I remember we were somewhere and I didn't want to eat something that I didn't like, I don't tomatoes and I was little, and then like they made this like be stick and said, well, yeah, like it's like a like a beef you know, stew and I had tomato and whatnot in it. And I just remember like I was just like I don't want to eat this, and I said it like kind of loud, and my mom gave me the look of the look. And I'll never forget that because never did I make that mistake again. I never seen that face on my mom. And I was like, Mom, what's wrong are you going to kill some Oh my god, that someone's mate, you know. And I never made that mistake again, and so I didn't complain about it. And so and after that I had like similar incidents that would happen again. Like you know, I lost my biological father when I was one, uh, and I never got to meet him, so like I never really saw like you know, pictures and whatnot. Like there's a story too, like my mom thought that he abandoned us and so basically got rid of all his pictures because they elope together to Santa Ana and from Mexico and they're like, who cares, We're gonna live our lives and we're young and blah blah. And she got pregnant with me and then gave birth to me, and then like a year into after I was born, my dad was like, okay, I want to go back. And my brother asked me to be godfather and uh, you know in his daughter's baptism and it's like, oh okay. He's like, so I'm gonna go do that and then come back and yeahda yea da. So then he went back to mex went back to Mexico. Yeah, and he leaves and he never comes back, like no phone call, no nothing. And my mom is a single like a single mom with the baby living on her own Santa Anna. So she's also like, you know, the toughest woman ever. So she's like, fuck that guy, you know, and she's like and she gets rid of all his pictures and gets rid of all his stuff, and then like another year and a half goes by and she gets a phone call and the phone calls like, hi, is this my Yan's like yeah, and it's like, hey, I just thought it was sad that you don't know that your your husband's dead. And she was like okay, and she's like yeah. So like so he when he went to the baptism, there was some kind of altercation and he was shot. Oh wow, killed, and she didn't know that, and so she got rid of all his pictures, thinking that he abandoned as and he had every intent to come back, like he was playing to come back. His bags were like packed and everything, and he just went to the baptism and that day of the baptism, right outside the baptism, this incident happened and he was in the crossfire and got shot, and no one bothered to tell my mom because he had a lope with her, So that side of the family didn't think that it like, you know, well, she's the one the reason that he left that way anyway, so like they didn't even bother to call, and my mom felt terrible that she got rid all his pictures and all that. So I never grew up watching any kind of visual of him. So cut to like when I'm like seven years old and we're living in a spaia. In the middle of the night, I wake up and my door is like right or my best friend in front of the doorway to the hallway, and the hallway lights always on. Come mom again. I'm a very scaredy cats growing up, and so my mom always leaves it on and I'm sleeping and I can always I mean, like I must be a really light sleeper because I can sense if there's a noise, if there's a movement, if the light turns off, I can just sense it, like I just know that it happens. And for some reason, I felt like the light went off. I just felt it, like I don't know why. I was not deep in the rim, I was just falling to sleep, and I just felt that the light turned off. I can I could almost hear the click, like, you know, and I felt it and I went and I got up to that, you know, like I jumped up in my bed and I looked up and the light was not off. It was on, but there was a man silhouette in front of it. Like the light was behind them and it was making a silhouette. So all I could see was a man at the edge of my bed in the silhouette, and I was like, oh my god, Like I was like, we're being robbed, Like we're being robbed, Like I was like, this is a robber. He's gonna kill me. Like I was like, and this is just little me thinking, Like I was like, oh my god, my mom's either side. He's in between me and my mom's room. And I was just like, oh no, I can't even run to like all these things are going and I'm just looking and trying to see if i can find a description just in case I describe this man. And I can't find a description. This man has no face again, there's like no face on the stand, but he has But this time around, it's a human. It's not like a horns and hoofs and like claws and all that. It is a human. I can see the silhouette of a man's body standing at the ditch in my bed, and I'm so freaked out. I go under my covers, and I think, now, is he like blocking the light or can't even see what he looks like. I'm like I can't even go and I'm just like what is happening? And like I go under the covers and then I wait like two seconds and then I come out and he's gone, like the man is gone. And I was like, he's probably robbing the house. And I was like, oh my gosh, and I get out of bed. I go to my mom's room. I open the door, He's not there. I get scared, so I'm like, whould call the police? And I run to the living room and I like, nothing's taken, that thing's changed, and I was like, wait a minute. I was like, that wasn't a robber. Oh wait, Oh my god. I was like that was And then for the longest time, I thought, was that my dad visiting me? I really thought maybe Dad came to visit because I thought it was a robber because I never had seen like the silhowetter in my life before. So to this day, I'm like, I think Dad came to visit and that was like his spirit.
Speaker 1: Oh well, that's sweet. So you never saw anything like that again in that house.
Speaker 2: No, So we moved a lot when I was little. We moved so much. I would say, I like moved every other year because when my mom remarried when she when I was six, my dad's construction company moved all over like they worked everywhere, so like it was wherever they needed to build something, that's where all the you know, workers would go. So we moved all over southern California. We moved to Las Vegas. In Las Vegas, we lived for a year, and I hate eat a Las Vegas because it was during the time when I couldn't do anything that was fun, you know what I mean. At that point, I think it was twelve and you couldn't go to the casinos. If your parents wasn't next to you can go to Circus Circus, but they had like the little kid area. But after you do that, once you've seen one clown, you've seen them all.
Speaker 1: You know that story of my life.
Speaker 2: And so like I just hated living there when I was at age and it was the desert, so you couldn't I was so used to La and being active that like being in Las Vegas you can't even go outside. You get a heat stroke, you know, like it's just it was so bad then. But when we moved back to LA that was when we lived in Spires when I saw the silhouette, and that was when I saw the man silhouette, you know, And that was when I was probably seven or eight. And then after that, I just like have been really sensitive to energy. And it's just when I mean people like and like again, like I was always like, you have really good energy, like when people are saying that sometimes like oh they're just bs, you know, but I knew people I don't know, I think that like I'm like that good energy or even if I give the benefit of the dam like send things off about this energy and then like later on it's like, oh got it, they're a killer.
Speaker 1: Do you do you sense that when there's no one there, like do you go? I do, say, in a minute, I feel, yeah, I feel like in a weird way.
Speaker 2: And like I guess I don't know if it could be called it being an mpath or something, but like I guess energy is also drawn to energy, you know what I mean? So like for me, like I just I know that there's energy out there. I know that we're you know, our bodies are just tangible. We're here for a limited time. But where does this energy go? You know, like where do we go after this body expires? You know, there's still so much like energy in us. And do we just evaporate or do we linger? Do we like hold on to things? Do we haven't finished business? Like I really love that we are energy. We all can agree that everyone has a different type of energy. And either you die and you're a grumpy old, you know guy, or you die happy and you know it's like your energy goes or it stays, but it stays the way that you you wanted to stay, you know. So I was living in this apartment, like was it eight years ago? And it was an old apartment was built in the twenties in Los Angeles on Wilshire, and it used to be a hotel. It was built in the twenties, and it was in the area where like you know, Clara Bow used to hang out near the West Lake Theater, like this area. The Plaza hotel is right next to it. So it was the place to be in the nineteen twenties, you know, and even up to the nineteen fifties, like down the street the you know, it was a bit tailor used to hang out like the bars and stuff like down there on Wilshire, So it has all this old history to it and it's old vibe. And so when I looked at the at the apartment, I really fell in love with the art deco and I was like, this is so cool. And I's since meeting into studios and apartment one bedrooms and two beds or whatever. And I walked in and I walked the apartment and I remember walking and I was like, I like it, you know, it feels it feels good. But there's definitely like energy in the building, Like there's definitely stories here in this building, right, And I just remember that my sister hated visiting me. And my sister's also really sensitive to energy, even more so than I, because after a while you get jaded and you just like push that side of you, like I don't want to focus on that, you know, I want to focus on you know, what I'm doing. But she's really much like sensitive to energy, and she didn't like and she wouldn't tell me why, And I was like, why don't you like coming up? Like so I don't like your apartment. I don't like being in your apartment by myself because someone's I be like, okay, I'm not going to be home, but go ahead and go inside, and like, you know, here she has a set of keys to my apartment. And she didn't want to do it. She never wanted to come to my apartment if she wasn't with me or with someone else. And I was like why. She goes like, I'm I don't want to scare you, but your apartment is as creepy as fuck. And I was like why And I was like, how dare you tell me the truth to my face? At least have the distancy to say behind my back. And I was just like, why, what do you talking about? And she goes, and this is what creeping out because she goes. I don't like it. She goes every time I go, so like, your creepy neighbor with that hat is always like, you know, just hanging out. And I was like, what are you fu are you talking about? It's like your neighbor across the hall. And I was like, babe, no one lives across the hall.
Speaker 1: What creepy?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: So she was just seeing somebody with a hat just she was hanging.
Speaker 2: Out, watching like one of the original tenants, like I asked, like I asked the landlord. I was like, who lives And I was like, no, one's lived in an apartment and like for at least a year and a half. And I was like, and who lived there before? It was like all this old gentleman, he's been here for years. And I was like, oh my god. And I was like, oh god, and I was like yeah. And so my sister saw him at least three times, and she she said she saw him like in full form, so she thought it was a person. And I was like, what are you talking about. She was, I don't like it because your creepy neighbor across the hall is always there when I walk. And I was like, there's no one across the hall and he's like she was like, yes, there is. There's a guy across the hall. And I was like, no, there isn't. And she's like I always see. And then I had to like prove it to her, and that even freaked her out more and she was like that's it. No, no man. She was like, oh, good, see this guy with the long trench coat in a nineteen forties hat walking down the hall on the.
Speaker 1: Trench coat is never good news, either you're a nineteen forties ghost or a flash.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I was like, and that's probably why she probably took it more as like a I don't know, that guy is probably some creep as a flash, you know, but really it was probably some guy you know, the forty He was young in the forties and then he went back to that state in his youth. But like he she saw him several times, which is weird because then I think, so, is that guy just hanging down in the hall but I don't see him because I'm not like completely committed to seeing him, or is she so sensitive that she picked it up right away? But she saw him every time, and when I told her that story, she definitely never came back. But also the building had a lot of bad energy too. I could feel that, you know, you'd walk some pockets of them because I'd just like to walk around my building because I'm crazy, and you walk around the building and there's some corners and pockets that you're like, oh, I was like, something happened, you know, something happened here. I'm really sensitive to that. And then I had a really bad experience there one time, which eventually maybe move from that floor, because I was walking to the elevator and I just saw this young guy who used to come. His dad was divorced and his dad lived in the building and he had a corner apartment and I would always see him together when he come to visit his dad for the weekend or something, because he lived with his mom. And I saw the elevator open, and I was gonna go because I was raining late and had to get in my car and I had to go to meet a friend for dinner. And the parking lot for the apartments is right next door, and so I was running to the elevator. The elevator open, and I saw you, the young guy come out, and I was like, oh, hi, and he looked very melancholic. He looked very kind of like out of it, a little sad at consense, but you know, you don't want to start a conversation if we don't want to finish it. So I was like, hey, how you doing, and he was just like quiet. He didn't He like said something under his breathing, like you're not even trying to have a conversation. And I was like, okay, well by you know, and like I just pressed to go down and he just went. You know, I never saw him alone though, because I saw him with his dad, which was really weird because I always saw him together. They were coming from getting dinner because there was a weekend and they always hang out together. And then I got down to the first floor and then I walked by the mill and like his dad was he's getting the mail. So I said, oh, there he is. Howth that makes sense? And then I went to get my car, got in the car. I pull out of the driveway, out of the car and I'm training left on the street and then I just you know, drive and then I get to the light right in the corner where the building is, and I stopped at the red light and then I just hear and I'm just like, oh, that's weird. And then people are honky behind me, and I was like, what are they honky? And I was like whatever. I was like, can I just drive away because I have to go to dinner. Hours later go by. I went to dinner, I came back and my whole streets roped off and I come back and I was like, what's going on? They won't let me in the police like you can't come in and I was like, why as I live right there, and he was like, oh, you have to go through the hare and blah blah. So I could go around the block enterm on the side. And I asked the guys because in my building, because the way that it works, the building, they don't have parking for the tenants, so they hire like a parking service of la service, and you have to pay extra just because otherwise no one will live in that building. And so they parked your car for you. And so I pulled up to the guys and I was like, hey, what happened? So like, oh, yeah, that the dad guy, you know, the dads on your floors, like guys like his son jumped off the building.
Speaker 1: Oh so you saw him right before?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Oh my god, it was and he was he had a mission, like I literally when I got in the elevator and I was like, that's where he's not with his dad, and he never he went straight to the room. And when I got in the car and that honking he had fallen on the street right behind my car.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, that is crazy.
Speaker 2: And I and people were honky and they stopped in the midt and I was like, what are they honking at because I felt it. I felt like a you know, and I was like, what the hell was Like? What was that? I was like, But it's also a busy street, so I was like, somebody must have hit something, a car down the street whatever. And then I just I was such in a rush mode that I didn't even bother and those like. But then I thought, oh my god, if I was running twenty seconds later, that would have fallen right on my car. That oh my god, was fallen on my car because it happened like twenty feet behind my car.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is crazy, isn't I'm like, I wasn't sure where the story was going, but.
Speaker 2: I'm saying that that building, you know what I mean, Like sometimes the building just itself is like bad energy or like it has energy that either because guess like I know how to deal with like energies like that, because I'm like, okay, I'm sensitive to it. But imagine if you have to deal with energies, then you're not comfortable with it, you know what I mean? Like maybe was that out of a factor? Maybe not? Maybe was it a factor that you know, this young guy was just depressed and you know, and then the worst part was that when I parked my car, I bumped into his dad again.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: He just came up to me and cried in my hands, and I didn't know what to do. And I was like, because you know, you know your neighbor, but you don't really know that. I mean, like you're not like having dinner every night or whatnot, like you say hello and like, yeah, poor job. But like he just came up to me and cried in my hands, and I was like, oh my god, I'm so sorry because everyone knew by that point, everyone knew that it was his son that had jumped off, and I had just seen him at the mailbox when I had just seen his son exit the elevator.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. I mean that's the thing with these with buildings in Hollywood especially, I mean, they have so many stories and so many so much energy just around them. I mean, just imagine the decades and decades of who knows what happened?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I mean the city runs unfortunately, like I'm broken dreams, you know what I mean, Like so many people come into the city to make their dreams come true, and unfortunately that doesn't happen. You know, all the time and everyone, and so what happens to the dreams?
Speaker 1: You know, like that's where that's where the unfinished business side comes into Hollywood, I think with ghosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like it's crazy, but you're you're absolutely right this whole city. I'm surprised we don't have more like haunted tours of Los Angeles because you go to other cities like another thing that was really creepy. Like again, I love I love the whole you know, haunted idea because I do believe in it. And like, the creepiest place I've ever been in my life, aside from those stories and that even those don't take the cake, the creepiest place I've ever been is Savannah, Georgia. Oh yeah, because Savannah, Georgia is voted the most haunted city in America and with good reason. Like you step off onto any street in Savannah and you just feel this heavy heaviness and then you're like, ooh, what is that And it's like because the whole city is built on like grave sites and like it's basically Savannah was one of the first I could totally wrong with those information that I was given by the tour guides there and the local historians. But it was one of the first, you know, spots where you could stop if you were doing an over atlantic trip, you know, like if you were coming from the South, like going to Louisiana, Savannah was like a port that you stopped. And if you go into New York, you would stop in Savannah. Savannah was like one of the places that you could stop and unfortunately dump your dead, Like if someone died on the boat on the way over from whether it be Europe or you know, Africa or whatever, like, it would literally stop there and dump their bodies and they just cover it with dirt. Next ship. Dump their bodies, cover with dirt, next ship. And so the city is built on just thousands and thousands of souls and like it's creepy in that way. And if you read, if you've read the book or watch the movie Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil, all those places and characters in that book are still well maybe not all the characters, but the places are very much there. And that place has tons of energy, and their tours are amazing because there's not one house in that city that doesn't have a story, like some kind of horrible tragedy happened. There's one where like this little girl was the daughter of the senator or something, and she was being you know, disobeying him or something. It was summertime, and so to teach her a lesson, he like beat her and tied her down to a chair and put her in the living room in the window facing the setting sun, so it'd be like you're gonna stare at hair till dinner, and YadA YadA. Well it was so hot and he had beaten her so much that the poor little girl died. And no charges were filed against this person because he was like an official, you know. And and so to this day, people swear they see the little girl. And I kid you not. During the tour, like I just looked up at a window at one of the houses and there was a short, bobbed, haircut little girl looking out the window.
Speaker 1: Oh my god. Yeah, So are you somebody that goes on you like to do like ghost tours and if you have the opportunity.
Speaker 2: I don't do them all the time, but if I get the chance. Especially when I was in Savannah, that was like a muss and I was just like, well, I'm here and I have to do it, and it's the most haunted city and it's voted the most hearted, say in America. And it's like I felt it like I was like, yeah, I have to do it. I have to do it here because it wasn't I didn't feel like it was a ghost tour. It felt like it was a history walked through the city, and the history itself was haunting, Like it was like not even to be scary. It was like in sixteen forty and I was like, oh my god. You know, it's like that sounds terrifying.
Speaker 1: And because that's the thing with LA is that we're so young compared to you know, baby.
Speaker 2: Like we're total babies. That's what people always like, Yeah, they're just total total Like in comparison, we're like the little the baby brother or sister to the rest of the nation.
Speaker 1: We're so much dense. Like when it comes to stories, and I mean obviously so many, so many people shoved into this part of the country, but just so many ups and downs and juicy stories in Hollywood over the years that could certainly lend their hand to people becoming ghosts at some point.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, like I feel yeah, just because of again the energy and history of the last you know century, just because tinsel Town, you know, and it's like, oh, make it come true. And it's like, because how many people do even to this day, like we don't even have to go one hundred years. You can make a story off the last decade. How many people move into Los Angeles every day, Like we don't have enough space, you know, Like it's like literally every day we just have bus loads and planeloads of people, models, actors, dancers, you know, musicians, writers, you name it. There's just different forms of artists who come to this city to try to break it in, you know, break into the business or make it big. And that's a lot of people.
Speaker 1: That's the you know, so many die trying, so.
Speaker 2: Many die trying, and it's like and it's like the classic, like you know, what's the story? And I forgot the actress's name who jumped off Hollywood sign.
Speaker 1: You know, peg and twhistle, Yeah, yes.
Speaker 2: And the fact that like, you know, because of the time and like the way that people communicated, there was a telegram waiting for her at home that she had just been cast in the show, and she didn't get the telegram because she had called it quits and had you know, over to the Hollywood Sign. I was like that shit would never happen. Now you get a text and be like you booked it, you know, yes, And now so you'd like to think that like because of technology, people's lives are being saved literally, like people are at their you know, last resort and like andwits and like whatever. But like it's just a text and a message that could turn things around, you.
Speaker 1: Know, especially when you think about like hotels or apartments. There's you know, there's so many of those buildings in Hollywood that have like one hundred units in them, and just think of all the things that have happened in those I mean even like I had an experience at the Hollywood Towel Franklin, and that's a place that's pretty well known as being haunted. And just like, you know, decade after decade of of just the hollywoodness of Hollywood happened in that building. And another place I always think of is the Cecil Hotel downtown. Do you know that place?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what but.
Speaker 1: That's one where dark stuff has happened decade after decade.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just like a lot I mean where again, the question is where does this energy go? You know, you can't capture it. You can't say, you know, move along unless you are trying to do that. You know, it's just and it's just roaming energy and like it's just around us. But it makes a little bit creepier when you add the element of a tragic story, you know, like when you at the Hollywood Story or like everyone has a story in a hotel. You know. One of my favorite shows actually and that I got to be a part of episode coming up soon is Room four on HBO because it's a different story every week in the same room of a hotel, and it's so brilliant because it I don't know, like every time I go into a hotel, especially if it's an older hotel, I was like, how many people have gone through these walls?
Speaker 1: Like, you know, like that creeps me out. I do that so much. As soon as I get in the room, that's always when it occurs to me, oh, this place could be haunted, specifically this room. And then I google and luckily I've never phound, but I'm waiting for the day where I google and it says in room one oh six, right where you are somebody died.
Speaker 2: No, no, man, I as much as I'm like, okay, I'm okay with that, Like I rather not, I rather repeat. But in one of the odds that you'll find like a room that hasn't had some kind of energy, you know, like it's like the numbers are not in our favorite Like there's just so many people, so many people staying in hotels. Accidents happen, whether you know it was.
Speaker 1: On when it might not even be death, you know, as many people believe, and I believe this, that people can have a fight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the energy lingers. Yeah, I totally believe that. That's why sometimes you walk in like, oh, it doesn't have a good It doesn't mean someone died there. It just means that like someone got divorced here, you know, like or somebody you know was dealing with a loss of a loss of a parent, or someone lost a child. You know, like it's different kinds of energy. But that energy is heavy and it lingers. And I feel like it doesn't have to always be death, that it could be something really tragic, or it could you know, and it could just uh it really kind of you can absorb it, you know, or osmosis you know, and you're like trying to not but it's hard. It's like energy does change everything you can when you know, like when you're doing like a show or something, you take the temperature of the room, you know, and it's like, oh, people are not feeling that, you know, and energy is because of energy. It's like if no one, like everyone has to be on board or it's not gonna work, or at least the majority are, and and some people want to make it a downer, then it's going to become a downer, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I think it's also maybe human nature that we we tend to focus on like the negative or like you know, we can we really can acknowledge when something feels negative. But I think the same can go with positive energy as well. I think that there are certainly places that you can go where you're like, oh, there's just a good vibe in this room. Years and years of just happiness have happened here.
Speaker 2: Apps and I believe that, yeah, one hundred percent. And like, well, you look at your like, you know, who do you surround yourself with, Like when people say, oh, I don't want to go hang out with them, they're always down? Is like well, why do you keep hanging out with someone who's a downer? You know, because it's like that old thing. Show me who your friends are, and I'll show you who you are. And like if you surround yourself with like energy of like, I don't like just always complain. I'm a positive person. I like to be around positive energy. And then when like it's I get around someone. If if it's a bad situation and you can help it, then it's like, oh yeah, let's make it better, you know. But if it's a constant, you know, dwelling and living in that dark pit of that, then that's all okay, Oh I see you want to like live there, you know what I mean. And it's like you want to live in that energy, then you know, by all means do that. But I don't want to come and like get in that tar pit of like negative energy.
Speaker 1: Well wait, going back to negative energy. I'm still I can't stop thinking about the demon that crawled on you and Santa. I am, yeah, you believe that that was a demon. I believe it was a demon.
Speaker 2: And I don't know why why would it be so detailed? And the part of me again is like was I I was always like a really you know, a kid with a big imagination. Was it something that I imagine? But then there was so detailed and it was like the night light was on. Like I couldn't even I couldn't even justify by saying it was dark in the room, you know, like it was like I couldn't even say that because it was well lit, because again I was a scaredy cat, and I was just like I saw it so detailed and a tail that's swung Like it was like how why you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: You know what's so interesting is I I'm thinking of maybe three times now that I've heard of a haunted place in Santa Ana, California, that is people believe to be a demonic or at least dark energy.
Speaker 2: So is there something in Santa Ana, like is a portal or something that that demons are like exiting and entering.
Speaker 1: I don't know, it could be.
Speaker 2: But also Santana is very old, you know, like Santana has a beautiful courthouse, but it is like that is a courthouse built in like the late eighteen hundred or something. You know, it was one of the first places to like have you know, settlement, to like establish like a city and like living and whatnot. So it does have a lot of history, Like it's right next to the Orange Groves, you know, which was all farmland, but it Santa Ana was one of like the up and coming cities back in the day.
Speaker 1: That doesn't mean that there should be demons.
Speaker 2: No, it doesn't, but there must be some kind of something in Santa Ana. Like that's so weird. It really, Like now intrigues me that you said that, because this is the third time you've heard it's specifically a Santa Ana like demon story. Then there's something there, Like there's definitely something more like is that the hub, Like is that with the demons hang out that?
Speaker 1: There was also an episode of Ghost Adventures where they went to a place that I also want to say is no longer there. I don't quote me on that, but it was called the Yost Theater downtown. They had some spooky stuff happening there.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't doubt that. Like Main Street and Santa Ana too, like it is old Americana feel, you know, and it's just something about it, just like creepy and like there's a lot of shit that went down, you know, back in the old days and and people took the lawn into their own hands. And you know, but that could be a lot of places. But now that I think about it, Santa Ana has probably some rooted, like dark stuff that happened in the city. And and you know, people try to erase bad memory. Isn't bad history all the time because you definitely see it in the textbooks and won't be like there won't be a parade at things that were done, you know, every year, like they're not like but yeah, so that makes me think about what happened and what is Is it a hub? Maybe it's a hub. Maybe it's like a like hub.
Speaker 1: Do you want to hear some ghost voices?
Speaker 2: Wait? Do you did you hear ghosts? Right now?
Speaker 1: I probably should have worn you. We play a game where I play ghost voices for my guests.
Speaker 2: Oh god, no, no, no, I know that. But I that you said, do I hear some ghost Like? Are you having a moment? When you?
Speaker 1: Did you hear that?
Speaker 2: That's you men, not the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's time for it. Ev h ev plase Do you know what EVP is? Electic voice phenomena? Okay, so it's when people, you know, capture what they believed to be the voice of a ghost. So I go to YouTube, I find ghost voices, and I want you to guess what you think the ghost is saying, or you know what the ghost hunter thinks. Okay, so I have two of them. The first one on YouTube was posted by Planet Paranormal Investigations slash Bob Davis and this took place at the world famous haunted Queen mary and Long Beach. Have you ever been?
Speaker 2: Oh, several times. My sister loves it that too.
Speaker 1: Do you think have you had any like haunted experiences there?
Speaker 2: No, not me personally, but I had a friend. He used to work at the checkout desk and then he did the night shift, so like he would be the one who goes to the rooms and slides the bill, you know, for the next morning checkout. And he said there there was one room that he refused to go to because every time someone stayed there, even if they wouldn't make it to the night, that room would just never have anyone stay through the night. They always wake up and they say, I like other room, please and so but even if someone made it through the night, it was the one room he didn't want to go and leave the paper because every time he did, he like bending down to do it and he could feel something behind him and turn around and it wouldn't be there. Eventually, he had to quit his job there because he said that it was too much and it was just that one room that always got to him. But the place was haunted, he said, for sure, it was haunted, but that one room was something that was not friendly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, I mean, it's known as one of the most haunted places in the world, and I've been there a couple of times. I've never had a haunted experience, but there's just so many stories that it's hard to deny it. Yeah, but okay, here, this was taken in the boiler room, and what do you hear this ghost saying? That's kind of a quick question, was quick?
Speaker 2: And hear it again? Can I hear it again? Okay? Yeah? Help?
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that's a good that's a good guess. Here's a couple of options. Is it a oh hey boo, B radio C Hello or d hell no, I'll play it again.
Speaker 2: Huh. I feel like it wants it wants to be something with the hello, hell with the h sound.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'll play it again?
Speaker 2: Hell no?
Speaker 1: You know that's kind of what I hear. But they think it's radio because the guy that was doing the ghost hunting said something about how he wanted to put the ghost on the radio, and then he says that he thinks the ghost said radio.
Speaker 2: The ghost said, hell no, you're not putting me on.
Speaker 1: The radio exactly. I didn't send a release. Wait, let me play it a good hell no, yeah that is hell no. I may be a ghost, but I still have my rights.
Speaker 2: Am I getting residuals for this?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's do. Maybe they're more of a podcaster than a radio person. Okay, here's one more, and this time. Okay, this place I didn't know much about, and I got really into researching about. It's in San Juan Capistrano.
Speaker 2: I love that place.
Speaker 1: And yes, it's called the Vintage Steakhouse. Have you ever been there?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, wait, can I read you this story that I read about why it's haunted?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 1: Please, it's it's kind of incredible story.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: This was posted by uh. Okay, so I.
Speaker 2: Get because they ate too much steak, I'm going to die.
Speaker 1: No, but this is We'll go back to the EVP later, but first I just want to read you what I read. I just googled this place, the Vintage Steakhouse, and it brought me to the Capistrano Dispatch, which I believe was a local newspaper, and this little article was posted by Jan Siegel and she says, OOO, did you feel that bump in the night? Ghost stories abound in San Juan, Capistrano. The newest addition to our ghost lower comes from the Vintage Steakhouse. The fact that the restaurant sits in what was a what was once a train compartment, is a significant part of this tale. Some of the employees and guests of the Vintage say that they have been haunted by the ghost of Modesta. Avila Modesta, a villa, lived in the Comb's House next to the railroad tracks and now the Hummingbird Cafe from eighteen eighty to eighteen ninety. According to local legend, she was upset when the railroad came to town because the noise of the trains kept her chickens from laying eggs. To let the railroad know that she was upset, she hung her laundry on the tracks as a sign of protest. Modesta, a young Mexican girl, did not know that it was a federal offense to put anything over the railroad tracks. According to the facts, the station master advised her to take down the laundry before a train came, which she did so there was never so there really was no crime. However, it was eighteen eighty nine, the start of Orange County and there was a new district attorney in the new county. He lost his first case, which he should have won, and was anxious to prove his power, so he filed the charges against Modesta. The first case ended in a hung jury, so he was not content, so he filed against her again. This time he indicated that this young, unmarried Mexican girl was pregnant, a definite no no. In eighteen ninety the second time around, he got his conviction. Modesta was sent to San Quentin prison after two years, and she died in jail. There was never a baby, so sad okay, but so it says, the story stopped being his. Sorry, history stopped being concerned with Modesta until now. Recently, the patrons and employees of the Vintage Steakhouse have had several eerie episodes attributed to the ghost of Modesta.
Speaker 2: A villa.
Speaker 1: Two women were in the restroom when one felt a startling bump. She was so frightened she fainted. The other woman felt the bump so strongly that she went back to her table and told her husband that she would wait for him outside. She was never going inside the restaurant again. Employees have seen flickering lights, a vision of a young girl in the wine cabinet, creaky floors, and light images on the walls. An area in the dining car section of the restaurant has experienced cold drafts for no apparent reason. Okay, what about that story.
Speaker 2: That's insane. Well, she's angry also, like she just wanted her chickens to lay eggs.
Speaker 1: I know, dumbess with the chickens. Yeah, it's like break I love that she was protesting.
Speaker 2: I know. And I was like, that's very like gutsy and ballsy, you know, like to like especially in that time, and like, yeah, I would have wanted to be her friend. Like she sounds like she was a bet, I know, especially like back in those days. He's a man, she's female, Like she was ballsy, like she was like fuck you, you know, I don't care, and like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and he was pulling some shady moves. On her too, being like, oh, she's pregnant and she's not married.
Speaker 2: That's the energy I'm talking about, the Santa Anna and that whole like Orange County, you know what I mean, Like that's the kind of an injustice that happened. I'm sure, left and right, you know, the stuff that like she was just my her own business, trying to like have eggs and chickens, and like someone really just wanted to go at her and and got what he wanted and then she died in prison. Like it's like come on, you know, yeah, I also want the movie rights to that. I know.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, so let's go back to the ev so OC ghosts and legends posted that they believe they caught her or a ghost saying something, what do you think this says? I'm gonna be honest with you right now, I don't hear anything, but I play it again. All right, let me turn it up. I fuck youre' some options because that was not the one that they thought they heard. A I'm tired. How about you, b I'm gonna get you. See I don't like the train or d I'm not fucking with you.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna get.
Speaker 1: You honestly, no, they thought that it was I don't like the train. I don't hear that at all.
Speaker 2: You know, it's weird that now that after you said that that's what they heard, my mind goes to, like, oh, I hear it now, you know, but only because that's in my brain, Like it's like, what's that word?
Speaker 1: Yeah, And they have this story probably in the back of their head right that she did. What I thought. What I found interesting that they were saying when they caught this this ghost was that they wanted the train to go by because it's right next to the train, this restaurant, and they wanted to see up the energy from the train could get something to happen, because you know, many people believe that ghost feed off of you know, electrical energy and uh. And they said that as soon as the train went by, they heard that. So I mean, if this is that the spirit of that woman, I could see her being like, I don't like the train, get that out of here.
Speaker 2: That is true, that's definitely yeah. Yeah, now that I know that potentially it is that, now I can't step thinking that it's not that like it's like, oh yeah, yeah, that's I think that's where it is. She is upset, right, right, I shouldn't really say it's like, were are my eggs or something?
Speaker 1: You know, get off my eggs?
Speaker 2: Get off my eggs.
Speaker 1: Well, hey, Harvey, that's about it. Oh, this was so wonderful. You really brought it today with these stories, and thank you so much.
Speaker 2: Well, thanks for having me. This was this was nice and it was good to get off my chest. And we're gonna find that portal. I know there's like a portal and Anna Heim or Santa Ana, we're gonna find it.
Speaker 1: What do you mean you're gonna find it? What are you gonna do with that?
Speaker 2: I go find it. I know now that you said that, there's different people who said they've had demons and stories in that area. There has to be a reason. I'm gonna. I'm gonna do it. You may never hear from me again.
Speaker 1: Well, good luck, Thank you, Harvey. You know I have another episode next week. Can't wait for like always honestly. We are joined by Katrina Wideman, who will be returning for her second visit. You know Katrina because she hosts the TV show Portals to Hell, which is on the Travel Channel. She co hosts with Jack Osborne. And she's had years and years and years of working in the paranormal field and especially paranormal television, and of course she's got stories. She answers questions that you guys submitted, and also questions that I've been wondering about ghosts and what's going on in these portals to Hell. So luckily Katrina will get to the bottom of some of that for us. So make sure you are subscribed, and also please keep telling your friends about the show. I think it's something that is it's getting around Halloween time. I think a lot of people are looking for spooky things to listen to. So if you could tell your friends, that'll be great. Please rate the show five stars on Apple Podcasts. If you have a ghost story, you can leave it in a five star review, or you could just say something nice about me in a five star review. We have our Facebook group Ghosted by Roz dress fALS. I'm on Instagram at Roz dress Fales. My dog Rocky is at Rocky the Diva on Instagram, and I'm also on Cameo at Roz Dress Fales, Venmo, Queen, Roz God. So many places to find me. I love you all, both living and dead. But if I didn't ask you to haunt me, don't haunt me.
Speaker 2: Hey back, star
Speaker 1: Gans, a podcast network,