Speaker 1: Strap on the boots and scrape up the knuckles. Sold ahead, he got jacked.
Speaker 2: This is the big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Gilbert.
Speaker 3: Mary's gonna score touchdown Slim to the ground by Buddha Baker Like a torpedo.
Speaker 1: He came flying into the back bel.
Speaker 2: The rage is brought to you by santan Ford in Gilbert. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm. Hand by Arizona Cardinals podcast. Visit Hazycardinals dot Com, Slash podcasts.
Speaker 1: Red scenes, rising Up.
Speaker 4: Temperaturizing vision, flurring rage, take you over. Here's Paul Calvis. I'm ready. I'm one hundred percent ready. I'm telling you abready.
Speaker 2: And Ron Wolfleep, it.
Speaker 1: Doesn't get any better than that. Leash the fjord.
Speaker 4: It's June first, and that means we are another month closer to NFL football, almost exactly one hundred days away from Week one at Washington, Oh Boy And after today's Ota, Ron Wolfy new head coach Jonathan Gannon was asked about the robust attendance out there and his answer, and I do quote. If you want to get better at football, play football end quote. Jonathan Gannon as at Cardinals practice field is akin to a construction zone these days. The only thing missing are the orange pylons and maybe the backup beep of a big dump truck, because that heavy machinery sound out there is that of a new foundation being laid, a new culture being built, brick by brick, if you will, and it is the big red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We'll get into all that with Greg Dorsch receiver extraordinaire momentarily right now, all Calvc and Ron Wolfley on the original Thursday Night Football.
Speaker 1: Paully so jacked up right now because as you can imagine, of course, these OTAs, they're not just like some other teams OTAs, Pauli. This is the Arizona Cardinals OTAs, and they've got a brand new regime. They've got a brand new way of doing things, a brand new culture, starting with the general manager Manti asen Ford of course, and now JG and the coaching staff. OTAs are very very important. Of course, when you've got first time coaches, you've got Jonathan Gannon and Monti asin Ford trying to absolutely create this brand new culture out of nothing. These are important days for the Arizona Cardinals.
Speaker 4: I'll be honest with you, I have it right here my roster. I was not walking on into that field without a freshly printed roster. I don't think I've ever in my almost twenty years covering the Cardinals here gone to a roster as often as I did today. I'm like, Okay, wait a minute, who's that again? What name and what number? I mean, it's a turnover, just the new names and faces. It is remarkable. And wolf a little bit later, I'll regale you with my OTA takeaways from earlier today and numbers.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 4: Number one is going to be Isaiah Simmons. We'll get into that in depth a little bit later. Number two is going to be the run game. We'll get into that with James Connor. And maybe you're starting center as well. But I tell you, there's so much here that you can look at virtually every position group and guess what we now include receiver because that has evolved as well. After the Cardinals to begin well the Memorial Day weekend, they released DeAndre Hopkins and Jonathan Gannon. With his first comment when asked about the release of d hop today.
Speaker 5: All the factors that were in play. We just felt that it was the best thing for the team to play with who we have really no big deal to me. You know, we're operating on the premise that he's going to be here and now we're not, so we're moving on.
Speaker 4: Look, you could have gone to Manti Usin for the new GM and his initial intro press conference when he said the words that I quote again ego will not be tolerated right there, you could have made a case, guess what, d Hop is not coming back. But there were a lot of reasons. It went far beyond that. Wolf and I know you've talked about it at length. What are your takeaways as a Cardinals sit right here right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paula, you know, once again with d Hop, it wasn't a me situation. It was a we situation that got him gone. It was it was just the fact that the Arizona Cardinals, as far as I'm concerned, looking at Hop, they were all in on saying, hey, listen, if he's not going to be the type of guy from a practice perspective that we need, we're not going to have him on this team. And I think that may have got him out of here more than anything else, because again, and you're taking a jackhammer to an old foundation, Paul, That's what JG is doing right now, That's what Manti Austin Ford is doing. You're taking a jackhammer to the old foundation. You're ripping it up, and you're going to pour all new foundation to build your culture on. And a guy that isn't going to practice. I think they've made it very very clear that he's not going to be here and that's part of the old old culture.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's just you're right. I mean, everything sort of fits under the heading of not a great fit about to turn thirty one. The fact his cap hit would have been nearly thirty one million this year, you just saved over nineteen million in real cash. You don't have to pay him. You can take the entire cap hit of over twenty three million here this season only by letting him go before June first. Everything from the style of the offense and there's going to pre be a premium on receivers blocking to if you're going to begin this season close to how you ended last season with a backup quarterback. Dab didn't look all too interested in that scenario. So there's a lot of different reasons why the headline reads, and this is all jim O Mahundra. Well done from X receiver as in the letter X to X receiver as in e X. That's the headline.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is a headline right now, Pauline. Of course, everyone is saying, you know, what are you going to do? How are you going to replace him? Well, you're going to replace him by starting with the running game, paul That is how you're going to replace him. We're going to start running the ball.
Speaker 4: That and guess what, You're gonna see what you have under the hood and the rest of that receiver room. In fact, Jonathan Gannon commented on that today.
Speaker 5: Obviously he's a great player. You know, with the guys that we have on the team right now, they present some challenges to the defense with their skill sets. I think just with the guys that we have out there, getting the best eleven out there, who's our one, two, three, four, five, six, and putting them guys in positions that make plays for us and use their skill sets accordingly, I think will be okay.
Speaker 4: And again we're going to get into it with Greg Dortch Right is going to be part of that rotation. But if you have Hollywood Brown, Rondelle Moore, and Greg Dorch and Zach Pascal and then the third round rookie Michael Wilson, So there's basically the nucleus of your receiver room. How comfortable are you when I list off those names of that position group.
Speaker 1: I'm really comfortable, Paully, because once again, you're going to run the ball. Did I say that, Paul? You're going to run the ball. You're going to line up and you're going to play some smash model football. And that's one of the reasons why I'm so fired up about that, because they are going to run the ball. But having said that, of all the names you just ripped off to me, Michael Wilson is the guy. Michael Wilson is a guy that is a large target. He's a guy that is very, very smart, and because of that, I think the learning curve of a wide receiver coming into the National Football League is going to go so much smoother for him because of his brain and a lot of the times you've got to be able to run these reid routes and be on the same page as your quarterback. And I think Michael Wilson is going to pick up the NFL game quickly. We'll see, that's a guess. But we'll see if he is able to actually contribute in a big way his rookie year.
Speaker 4: And it's going to be different on game day. DeAndre Hopkins a perennial Pro bowler. He commands a lot of attention from the defense, yes, and that sort of attention trickles down to everyone else. We know that. But here's the thing. He has missed fifteen of his last twenty six games. So the Cardinals became used to playing without DeAndre Hopkins, and so when it comes to replacing d hop well, guess what they've been there and done that. Here's Jonathan Gannon on that challenge.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm not really looking to replace d hop What I'm looking for is us to play together winning football as a team. And that's just not the receiver room. That's the tight end group, deal line grouped quarterback group, running back group, the defense, special teams at kicking. So football is never about one guy, never has never will be. And we all got to pull our weight.
Speaker 4: And we're gonna ask Greg Dorts just about the upside still in that receiver room, including Hollywood Brown. You remember before he suffered the foot injury. In Week six, Wolf Hollywood Brown was top five and receiving yards and top seven in receptions. He was among the league leaders with Kyler Murray out of the gate. So if you consider him wide receiver one, Hollywood Brown, what do you think what sort of season, especially a contract year for Marquise Hollywood Brown. I just wonder what's in store for him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Paully, first of all, once again, because the Arizona Cardinals are going to run the ball, and because they are going to put a quarterback under center, and because they are going to run play action, a lot of play action. Hollywood Brown tore up the league on a lot of play action when he was with the Baltimore Ravens. It's what he does. His speed, of course, allows him to get by. You run that play action, suddenly they'll safety settle down and they pad their feet and they chop it up and then suddenly you got Hollywood running a nine route down the sideline right. And that's some of the some of the plays I expect to see from this offense going forward. And Marquise Hollywood Brown is going to be right in the middle of that because of how good he is as a receiver that gets down the middle of the field as well on play action.
Speaker 4: Paul, Well, to your point, James Connor was asked today, and once again we'll hear from James Connor a little bit later, but the takeaway quote, at least for your purposes, I'm guessing, is when he was asked, Hey, James, what do you like about this new offense, and he immediately said, and I quote, that we're going to be running the ball a lot, and that he's already watched Brown's film for insight into the Drew Petsen scheme and he likes the way they use Nick Chubb put it that way.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, it is a beautiful thing to behold. Now. Granted, the Cleveland Browns have an excellent offensive line. They do and they run the ball very, very well. And Nick Chubb is just simply I to me, he's the best running back. If I was going to pick one running back, I'd kid you not. I might surprise you with this, but I was going to pick one to build a running attack around, it'd be Nick Chubb. He is incredible to watch. He's built, loaded, the ground. He's powerful. You can't knock him off his feet easily.
Speaker 4: Love Chobb By the way, I think the Cardinals old line is a little more subtled than most people might think. We'll get into that a little bit later as well. Reminders single game tickets on sale now. Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Easycardinals dot com slash buy tickets up next. Five teams in his first two years in the NFL before he got traction with the Cardinals. Right he went into last season only three career catches, ended up being the Cardinals leading receiver in multiple games. We're going to talk to Greg Dortch when we come back. The Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford.
Speaker 3: Murray looking fires right side and it's caught in the end Zona touchdown. Greg Dortch had his big time from Dorch and Kylo Snafter. Murray quick throw left side, It's caught at the one and into the end zone for the touchdown.
Speaker 4: Is Greg Dortch give.
Speaker 6: To Greg Dortch is across the forty to the forty five fifty into Tampa territory. Inside the forty five, spinning his way to the forty two yard line. Greg Dorch with more energy right now than the entire Tampa defense. There's a big chunk run.
Speaker 3: Hold in by dort breaks a tackle at the thirty barside, thirty five mother broken tackle, forty pass the left, cut by Dorts, burst out of the fifty barside forty thirty five, thirty cuts back on the right, twenty five, twenty torch, don't to speed fifteen and finally tackled at the thirteen.
Speaker 1: This is the one thing that is undeniable about Greg Dortch. Every time he gets the opportunity to play, he makes.
Speaker 4: Plas, make plays, make the team. It just started in camp last year and it continued all the way through the end of the season. And we're talking about a season where our guest on the Big Red Rage set career highs and games played, games started, catches, receiving yards, touchdowns. Last time we talked, in fact, it wasn't even in America. It was in Mexico City. It was after your big game against the forty nine ers. There we were in that cramp makeshift locker room at as Stadio as Teca. And now you know what. We're done messing around here on the Big Red Rage, brought to you by Santan Ford and Gilbert. We're gonna talk some real ball. We're gonna talk with Greg Dorsch. Greg, welcome back. And I tell you what. Let me start with camp last year, because at the end of camp all the coaches gave you props and praise for setting the tone for virtually everyone else. Right, And to what degree do you think that propelled you through the regular season everything you did in August? How much did that carry over?
Speaker 6: Uh?
Speaker 7: Man? Just the whole process of me not knowing if I was going to be on a team or not, and then getting a car from the Cardinals and just coming to training camp, and I was just trying to just showcase my abilities and show the coaches that I could show up every day and be consistent, and honestly just carried on into the season, man, And I just waited my turn, and my turn came, and I just took advantage of that.
Speaker 4: Even when you got the call that you made the team, you still weren't totally certain, right. I remember you saying that because your first year in the league.
Speaker 7: It happened before. Yeah, my first year in the league, I made the fifty three, and then the next day when they claimed the guy off waivers, they released me.
Speaker 4: So you start last season right, You lead the Cardinals with seven catches for sixty three yards against KC week one. Week two you had four grabs fifty five yards, had the touchdown. Week three against the Rams, nine grabs eighty yards, and then the snaps were inconsistent. Over the next seven games, you only had five catches. You know what happened? Why refresh my memory?
Speaker 7: Honestly, it was it's just the name of the game man you coming in. Ryndeale was the starter. I think he went down with Andrey, so my name got caught and it was just time for me to step up and make a play. But once he got healthy, it was his job, so I went back to being his backup. So that's rid of the main reason why I lost snaps.
Speaker 4: But then when you, as Wolf and Pash said there in the highlight montage, when you got your chance, you made darn sure to maximize your chance, like the breakout game in Mexico City against the Niners.
Speaker 7: Right, yes, sir, you never know when your numbers gonna get caught. Again. So shoot, man, I was excited to be in Mexico and just get my name called and my number called. And honestly, Randale was the starter. He was ready to go. And the first played the game, I think he went down. So it was just right, first pass he went down.
Speaker 4: It just started raining right right before kickoff. And then that's right, and you know what, your forty seven yard catch and run against the Niners in Mexico City was the longest play from scrimmage until until the very final game. The seventy seven yard er right and then and the aj Green catching run.
Speaker 7: I remember, I remember everybody talking about that, but I was excited for Aja that happened for him. I knew that was gonna be his last game, so for him to go out like that, man, it was great.
Speaker 4: Yeah. That was like the second play of the game. They set him up, you know, and it's finale. Greg Dortch is our guest here on the Big Red Rage. How many times have you heard the following, Yeah, you're not big enough to play.
Speaker 7: Forball my whole life, man, I've been playing football since I was six, and I've always been pretty much the smallest guy. So you just gotta find ways to make plays. Man's that's an excuse. Size is an excuse.
Speaker 4: So I coached my son's little league team a few years ago, right, and we play some of these teams. I look over there, I go, what are they putting hgh in the juice boxes? Like what is going on here? And I used to have a saying with these kids and the dug guy say, you know what, Bigger isn't better? Better is better? Go out there and be better on the field for sure? What is your mentality and how have you been able to be the point one percent of football players in the world just by making an NFL roster?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I think I've just been blessed. Man. When I go out there, like, regardless of stature, I feel like I played big, Like I really do. I feel like if you throw a ball my way, I can go up and high pointed, I can make people miss. I just felt like I play bigger than my size, man, and it's taking me a long way because.
Speaker 4: You're listened to at five seven one seventy five.
Speaker 7: Right, Yes, so I'm a little bigger than that, but you.
Speaker 4: Look like you put out a little wait huh.
Speaker 7: For sure, I've definitely hit the weight room a lot this off season. I'm ready to go.
Speaker 4: But I remember you telling us last year in the Big Red Rage, you said, you know what, in a phone booth, I'll still make you miss.
Speaker 7: Yeh's no doubt you're not. I promise you won't touch me.
Speaker 4: Where does the confidence come from then? Uh?
Speaker 7: Myself, man, just the amount of work that I put in, and I really believe in myself, and I know that what's done in the dark will always come to Like, man, I'm always working, whether you see me or not, I'm gonna be the same guy.
Speaker 4: Because seriously, the other thing, what is your sophomore year at college? You were a first team All American return Specialists by like sports Illustrated Pro Football Focus. So I mean, yes, you defy the odds and you made it as an undrafted rookie, right yep. But then again, there you were at the combine and your roommate once upon a time, right was Hollywood Brow. How'd that go, by the way memory in that story, Yeah it was.
Speaker 7: I didn't know. So I got into the hotel room and uh, you know, Hollywood. He had a lot of media and pressed around him, so he wasn't really in the room that much. So I was in a room, uh really like eating peanut peep and J's and just trying to like up my weight for the combine. And then he walks in with this big old like bags of like Adida's gear and he got He's got all this gear. And I'm like, bro, what's up?
Speaker 6: Bro?
Speaker 7: And like he was like, bro, what's up? Like it was just crazy that we were roommates, you know what I'm saying. Like we we've talked to each other, but like that was really like our first time getting a chance to hang out and it was just cool.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 7: It was cool. And now that we're teammates is just like it's just full circle.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 4: So tell us about the receiver room, especially now minus d Hot What is Drew Petsying? What is Drew Terrell? What do they want to see out of you? What do you think they envisioned as your role?
Speaker 7: Yeah, just just being that guy that they can rely on, Just being consistent with whenever my name's called. They know that I can play. It's all on film, So just getting adjusted to the new playbook. Can I don't know, man, Just being consistent and being the person that they want me to be in the right spots that they want me to be at.
Speaker 4: What is the best way to utilize your skill set? I mean, we saw you a lot of passes behind the line of scrimmage, a lot of sideline to side and sort of you know, horizontal stuff. But then you were effective when you were targeted downfield too. I mean, how would you draw things up to utilize your skill set?
Speaker 7: Uh, just call my number. It doesn't matter how you give it. Give me the ball. It could be a jet sweep, it could be U shoot. I'll take a handoff in the backfield. I just want the bottle my hands. Man, I feel I can make plays when the ball is in my hand.
Speaker 4: Greg Dorch is our guest here on the Big Red Rage. Earlier today, the media was allowed to watch one of the OTA sessions. It's a different vibe out there, isn't it with this new coaching staff.
Speaker 7: For sure. I love it though there they have everybody ready to go.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 7: The mentality is just a little bit different and it takes some time to get used to. But at the end of the day, man, you know that they just want to win. And if you want to win, then you you follow. You follow the leader.
Speaker 4: What would you say is key so far? And I know it's really early in the sort of culture that Jonathan Gannon is setting. And I'll just give you my quick takeaway. You know, we started this offseason and there was a move made in the head coaching and the GM spots and the owner Michael Bidwell made a comment that we have to address accountability. And when I watch some of what's going on in the field, there's no lack of accountability where guys, you know, I mean, coaches are being very vocal about what they want correct.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, and you man, you love that as a player, man, because not only are the coaches holding you accountable, but now your teammates. You see what I'm saying, Like, if I mess up on a router, something's just not right. I have teammates and brothers who can come up to me and I would listen. It's not a bigger back and forth and whether I'm right or he's wrong, or we're just all listening on the same page. Just trying to win, man, everybody just wants to win.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's play a little bit of true or false.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 4: The Cardinals offense will be much more balanced this year than the last couple of years. True or false?
Speaker 1: True?
Speaker 4: How much would a run game open up the pass game? Because look, I mean, I think it was pretty obvious the last few years that it was a pass first mentality. And we had Corey Clemen in here, We've got James Connor in here, we have offensive linemen. I mean, these guys are really looking forward to renewed emphasis on the run.
Speaker 7: Game for sure. Man. It just didn't make it a lot easier on the quarterbacks. Man. The run is big. The Titans run the ball the whole game, man, and then they'll play action and go above your head. So the run is important. Once you established a run game and you get all the backers and everybody coming up, that's when all the deep poss You got Ron Dell four to two, Hollywood four to two. You got all these speisters, man, So you run the ball, run the ball, run the ball, and you throw a play action in there. Now we're behind him, touchdown.
Speaker 4: Let me else get a fall up on Hollywood Brown real quick. When he went down Week six at Seattle, Tariq Walling him went down. He had the foot injury. He was top five, top seven and catches and receiving yards at that point.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he was playing really good ball.
Speaker 4: What's the upside? Do you think? Still on Hollywood Brown?
Speaker 7: Man, he's so talented. Man, He's just he's a competitor. Every ball that's in the air is his.
Speaker 1: Yack.
Speaker 7: He's a he'll block, He's just he's just all around wide receiver, woeman. He's ready to go. I'm very excited and a proud teammate. I'm really excited to be like one of his teammates, bro and get to go to war with him.
Speaker 4: So how would you describe what you know of the offense so far in terms of mentality or style. I'm guessing it's gonna be much more of a straight ahead.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I honestly would say it's just a it's a mixture of a lot of things. Man, just play action. We can go in the shotgun. They're doing a they're doing a really good job of just throwing a throwing everything at the defense. Like you, you won't know.
Speaker 4: What's coming anybody out there catching your eye. And I've heard some good things about the undrafted rookie running back of Mario de Mercado number thirty one. Michael Wilson obviously the third rounder. He looks the part.
Speaker 7: Yes, sir, I love Michael's game. I think he'll be ready to go. He's a very creative guy, and he's very detail oriented, like he wants to be in a right spot. He wants to make sure everything's perfect. But another guy from a thirteen key trail. I might be a little biased because he's from Richmond, Virginia, and I've known him what I'm saying for a couple of years now, but he's a batherer.
Speaker 4: You were a high school state player of the Year in Virginia, right, remember Trace McSorley. He didn't take kindly to you, saying that your team would have whipped his team because this team went to like four straight state finals. He said, no, no chance.
Speaker 7: No, we probably would have beat them about twenty one.
Speaker 4: See, that's the full circle confidence we need, Greg's, that's the sort of confidence we need out there. Hey man, we're looking forward to it, seriously. What you did in August and I wo carry through the entire season. You know, I'm looking forward to that. Just taking the next step this season. Appreciate the time, Yeah, man, I appreciate you. There you go. Receiver Greg dortsch Our guest. We continue with a big red rage presented by Santan Ford in Gilbert. We are sand tan forward, don't straight drop.
Speaker 3: Back throws over the middle and a one handed interception by Isaiah Simmons.
Speaker 4: A midfield runs.
Speaker 3: It back to the left of the morning pen, the learning pad, the twenty.
Speaker 6: Five pen, the twenty bed Simmons in fact, to con interceptive reparents, we're touchdown by the Cardinals.
Speaker 4: At the end of the half.
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness, what to play Isaiah Simmons just standing there in his own room on the middle of the field. There's that up four four of Isaiah Simmons touchdown.
Speaker 4: Maybe you see it all in that one play. You see the explosion, You see the hands, you see the playmaking nose for the football, You see his ability to finish, to be a game changer of playmaker Isaiah Simmons. Man, if this new Cardinals coaching staff can dial in the former first round pick and get him into form and find a spot for him in this defense where he can be a consistent four that will go a long way in twenty twenty three and the career of Isaiah Simmons, which in some ways hangs in the balance after the team elected not to pick up his fifth year option, so it is officially a contract year for Isaiah Simmons. It is the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford Special. Thanks to Greg Dorts for join us in the final. In that last segment, but as we go forward here we're going to talk about Isaiah Simmons. We'll get into the run game. But well, I mean when people ask you about the number eight pick in the draft once upon a time, Isaiah Simmons, where are you at with him in his career? And I use the word where in terms of where do you play him and where does he best fit?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know, Paully, it really is. It is a tough question to answer right now. Listen, when Isaiah Simmons came out as a number eight pick, you know what I wanted them to do, Paully. I wanted to take him and stick him as the weak side inside linebacker and just leave him there. Just stick him as the weak side inside linebacker. Now that doesn't mean, obviously that on certain personnel groups and certain formations, if in fact you've got one running back and the other running back splits out, or you've got two tight ends and one tight end is on the line, the other one is off into the slot. That you're not going to move him off into the slot. You're not going to move him around. But you had to make it part of the weak side inside linebacker position. To me, I was saying it, Pauline, and you know that you can back me up on this, and I was saying that from the very beginning. Just stick him in one position and let him master that position. Let him be that guy. I need you to do A Isaiah, I need you to do B, C, and D. I need you to do those four things. Are you capable of mastering those four things? That's what I wanted to see from Isaiah simmons in. He's just too alluring for coaches. He's got everything you could possibly want from a football player. He's got length, he's got size, he's got incredible exceptional speed, he's got athleticism, he's got a brain. And because of all that, paul you want to move him around and turn him into this ex weapon. And unfortunately, I think it's only clouded the situation for Isaiah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think coaches have been intrigued by the fact that you really give a quarterback something to think about when they break the huddle. Where is number nine? Where is the X factor? Isaiah Simmons always playing inside weak side. Now he's on the edge. No, he's deep centerfield safety. Oh look, now he's in the slot. So to what degree was that a detriment for Isaiah Simmons himself and what does that mean now going forward into his fourth season, Jonathan Gannon was asked about his plan for Isaiah Simmons as we move forward.
Speaker 5: You know, I want to see him get comfortable in a couple of spots we're playing him. But he's obviously a very unique talent and he can do a lot of things for you defensively and schematically because he can match up with different people, and he's got a skill set that you know, he can cover slot, he can cover tight end, he can play stacked, he can play deep. So we're gonna try to use him the best way we can.
Speaker 4: Right, a couple of quick points, last year, in terms of percentage snaps played, slot corner was a position where he got the most action. Now, when he was drafted, I think we all remember that the decision makers at the time said he was drafted to cover the tight end, the George Kittles of the world, the Travis Kelsey's of the world. Obviously has the size and the speed to be able to do that. But then there's a comment that Vance Joseph, the Cardinals four year defensive coordinator, made at the end of last season about Isaiah Simmons, and he said, in unloosely quoting, that what they found is Isaiah Simmons is more designed to play in space as opposed to being in the box, and so hence I think that's why he's currently at safety. That position switch was made the start of last offseason. Is put into the safety room with Jael and Thompson, Buddhabaker, etc. And that's where he remains with this new regime.
Speaker 1: See Pauline, I'm so glad you brought that up, because that's exactly right. That's what happened right there instead of sticking him at the weak side inside linebacker in saying I need you to do a B in C and oh, by the way, A is be able to take on a block at the point of attack with good leverage, honor your gap, and be able to get off said block and make a play. I demand that's what you do, instead of just letting him go out there. And yeah, he's capable of doing it. He does it. And it was a consistency issue with Isaiah Simmons. Sometimes he would be able to do things and then other times he would not. You could move him to any different position, and sometimes he could do things and other times he could not. To me, he's got to be able to master the position, whatever that position is. And oh, by the way, we're gonna need you to actually cover backs coming out of the backfield. If you're gonna play that weak side inside, we need that. We need you to also rush and be a good blitzer. We need you to do a B and C. And not only do we need you to do it, we demand that you do it. And instead of that, I think they just said, well, let's just find the best position for this guy because he can play. It was very interesting to hear that he can play here, he can play here, he can play there. But the question is, Paully should he play there?
Speaker 3: Hm?
Speaker 1: Why not put him in one spot and let him play?
Speaker 4: And the conundrum to all this is that when he was first drafted, what we all wonder oh man, does he look good in a uniform. He's like a unicorn. Look at that freak. Is he gonna come up and hit you? Is he gonna play with force and wolf? His rookie year, he did not hesitate. How many times did you site during a game, right, Paul?
Speaker 1: He didn't, I know, And that is the thing that is perplexing to me. Now I know that. Vance Joseph also said that his eyes, he had a problem with his eyes, that Isaiah Simmons would allow his eyes to get to him. And when you're playing at that second level, your eyes have got to send good and true messages to your brain. And that's where he would get tricked from time to time. It was with his eyes. But the one thing I know about Isaiah Simmons that fills me with hope for him that he's going to have a successful NFL career, PAULI is the fact that this guy is not afraid. He is not I've seen him. I've seen him take his face and stick it right into the fan, and in that tells me he's not afraid. So I think this is part of the demanding put him at a position and start making demands of a guy that is wildly talented and then see what happens.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Nick Rowlis, there's a new defensive coordinator in town. He was on your show, The Wolf of Luke Show this week in Arizona Sports ninety eight seven FM, and you guys talked about just letting Isaiah Simmons master one position initially.
Speaker 8: When you first arrive, you say, oh my god, this guy can do this, this guy can do this, this guy can do this, this guy can do this, and so a hang on, is that fair to the player?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 8: Let's make sure that whatever we ask him to do first he masters it.
Speaker 4: Yes, but every guy, especially.
Speaker 8: With a new scheme, needs a chance to get really comfortable with what is that one assignment in this call, in this call, In this call, I think if you try to master too many things initially at once, you don't master any of them.
Speaker 4: And that's really close to the point you've been trying to make the entire offseason, is it not?
Speaker 1: Yeah, Pauly, I mean, for the most part, I've been talking about it his whole career. Isaiah Simmons. Let him master one position, put him there and again make the demands. I love what Nick just said. He just said, is it fair to the player? Yeah, he can do this poll, Yeah, he can move all over the place, and that's so cool right there, But is it really fair to the player? Are we doing him a disservice by not allowing him to truly understand his job description and understand what it is we want him to do at one position before we start moving him around. And that, to me is what I think this staff is going to be bent on doing. They're doing it right now in OTAs of course, and into training camp. This is what we're going to see with Isaiah Simmons and we'll see where that goes.
Speaker 4: You know what else is interesting is when you first started the discussion with Nick Rollis about Isaiah Simmons and you asked for his initial takeaways, he said, well, as an outsider looking in, you realize, okay, he's one of the great athletes in the NFL. What I didn't realize un till I started working with Isaiah Simmons is quote, how in eligen he is. Yes, so the fact that he can master all these different positions, which, let's face it, a lot of players just wouldn't have the mental capacity to handle four, five, six different positions. Maybe can actually work to his own detriment because he's been doing this since his college career. He played a half dozen positions his last couple of years at Clemson. So maybe it's just a case of okay, he does know how to play him, at least in the playbook, but it's a lot different knowing it on the play scheme than executing it on the field. And so with that in mind, they reduce his job description and maybe that's how you get more production out of Isaiah Simmons. We'll see. My personal thought is he's staying at safety. You have Buddha Baker, you have Jalen Thompson. Who else did you sign in the offseason. I mean, he's your third safety. But we'll see what they do. Single game tickets on sale now. Go to Azycardinals dot com slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Their run game is next on the Big Red Raid presented by Santan Ford. In Gilbert second down and ten man in motion is Dorg Nicksley under center, give to Connor looking left, runs off tackle left side twenty ten. The races inside the five and into the end zone.
Speaker 6: James Connor houses it from twenty two yards out. That's the Cardinals run game, wearing down the defense in the fourth quarter, and it pays off with the first touchdown of the game.
Speaker 1: And it all started by putting the quarterback under center with twelve personnel, one back, two tight ends, run the ball, tackle zone concept. James Connor houses.
Speaker 4: It look nobody's created the laminated play sheet just yet. We're about one hundred days away from Week one at Washington. But Wolf, is there not enough anecdotal evidence players and coaches talking that it appears is that there will be renewed emphasis on the run game and if nothing else, the offense will be a lot more balanced defective this year under Jonathan Gan and Drew Petsing and company. It is a big red rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford and we are looking forward to that run game, are we not?
Speaker 1: Wolf? There's no doubt about it, Pauli. And it's one of the areas of the Arizona Colonel's musket. Better at run down situation first and ten second and one to six, you just got to be able to line up and hammer somebody with a downhill rushing attack, especially Paulie. When you got a guy like James Connor, you got a guy who's six to two hundred and thirty two to two hundred and thirty five pounds somewhere in that vicinity, Pauli, you gotta let him get ahead of steam attacking that line of scrimmage because that makes that second level suck up. And paul Win, that second level sucks up because they're thinking, oh, my goodness, that's James Connor six two two thirty two. Coach is telling me about how this guy loves to run downhill and attack the line of scrimmage. You're gonna suck up and then we're gonna throw the ball right over your head on play action ball. That's the conundrum when you've got a big back that can attack the line of scrimmage. And you know what too, I'll even say this, Pauli, Kyante ingram I, don't forget about this kid because Kyante ingram I like his mass. He's got a little butt to him right there, so does Corey Clement as well. Just being able to attack the line of scrimmage. You're five two hundred and twenty five pounds, Hey, paul you try to tackle five, ten, two twenty five. It'll kill you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna turn that down. That's a business decision for me. I will not I will not be meeting that in the hole. I can tell you that right here, right now. Look, I asked James Connor today. First off, by the way he mentioned Kanty Ingram has definitely taken that year one to year two jump. And Ingram looks really good in this offseason and has excelled in the OTA. So that's in astute observation by you, that's backed up by James Connor. But I did ask Connor towards the end of his press conference today and my Paully pencil neck fashion, and I just said, look, there were a few games last year were you average over five yards of carry and you only got twelve or fifteen carries. Are you really looking forward to getting the rock more? And have you told the coaches you can double that sort of workload? And his answer was, and he he was deadly serious, he said, and I quote talk is cheap. He said, I haven't said anything to the coaches. Said you got to show it. You got to prove it on the practice field, you got to prove it in the league. He said, I'm just trying to set an example right now so they know they can see that I can carry the load and be a leader, etc. So there was that comment and then there was this answer when he was asked, what excites you about the Cardinals new offense that we're going to be running the ball a lot. Yeah, I love that. I just love it.
Speaker 7: I just love the possibilities of what it could be, the pieces we have, you know, just playing as one.
Speaker 4: That's what I love about. It is our message.
Speaker 7: That's the main thing I love about is our message, and that's playing as one.
Speaker 1: It's playing as one, Paully.
Speaker 4: It's not even what they say, it's the reaction when they're asked about the run game and the Cardinals offense. His reaction, the way he smiled Corey Clement when we had him in studio, right Wolf, I mean tight ends dream McBride, a twelve and thirteen personnel. I mean it's coming, tick talk.
Speaker 1: No, it is coming, Pully. And again the construction of this offensive line as well, when they went out and they signed Calvin Beacham and Will Hernandez, those two guys right there when they signed them back to this offensive line. It pretty much told me everything that we're going to see from this offense, because those are two power packed, really strong dudes at the point of attack Paris Johnson Junior. I don't know where they're going to start him out. I think i'd put him at left guard. That's where I'd put him on the left side, so he could move out to left tackle. Eventually.
Speaker 4: I got him in right tackle, by the way, just to let you know.
Speaker 1: That's right, Pauli. You do exactly, and maybe DJ Humphreys, being the dog he is, maybe he could flip over to right tackle. I don't know what they're going to do at some point in time. I love the offensive line and yelled to fro Hol too. It's so important that you have a center, PAULI, that understands the scheme like the offensive coordinator understands the scheme, because now he can make all the proper line calls and adjustments on the field in real time. Pauli. That's so important for your center to be capable of doing that. And fro Hold is and that's why it's going to be very interesting. If there's one guy and I know this is going to say surprise to you Paul. But if there's one guy that I want to follow that first day, it's going to be the offensive line group, but it's going to be fro Holt that I want to watch. I want to watch him Paul.
Speaker 4: Well, unless the rookie John Gaines has an unbelievable training camp, I'm guessing they're going with the older Frohold as your starting center. Has four years in the league. He played the position in a pinch for Cleveland last year. He held his own very well, and today in meeting the media, he was asked, Okay, you're the starting center as of right now from what we can tell, So what is the potential of the run game.
Speaker 9: We have a great backfield, you know, leading with JC there, and I do believe that we're putting a lot of emphasis on it, and I think Dolphins of Line is really to take that challenge. It's always going to be hard and I won't always be success, but I know that our guys are willing to work for it. Because if you have success in a round, it's also going to be easier for us to pass pro and it's gonna be easier for us to manage the game.
Speaker 7: So that's definitely a priority for us.
Speaker 4: He's already lost his voice, he said so, and so that's that's why it's all sourced right there.
Speaker 1: But look, because out there making all of the coles Polly.
Speaker 4: I'll say this, I mentioned some of my takeaways from OTAs today. The trenches, Okay, the line of scrimmage. I'll say Cardinals are thinner at D line than I think you realize. I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't sign a veteran or two before training camp. We'll see. But I also think the Cardinals are deeper than I realized at offensive line. They got a lot of guys with a lot of experience, and they got some young guys coming up. The Marquise Hayes like last year who didn't play. I think he's going to be a factor in that competition for guard. A lot of guys talking out good Josh Jones looks he's in a contract year. I mean there are I think they go about nine or ten deep right now in the offensive line. I don't think it's nearly the liability that maybe the national analysts believe.
Speaker 1: No, Paully, that is really an excellent observation by you right there. I forgot about Marquis Hayes. Yeah, he was the talk of the training cap. You know he was.
Speaker 4: He was good for a fight every other day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he really was. And that's okay if you're talking to my offensive lineman, because that's that's exactly what I want. Just brawl, buddy, Go ahead and drop it right now. And I'm really really excited, Paul. And one of the reasons why I'm excited about this team and this offense specifically, is because of the offensive line and because of Drew pettsing and what I think we're going to see. We're going to see a Cleveland Brown type offense being run here. And I can't wait for that, PAULI, because that's a mentality, brother, That is a mentality where you demand your offensive line comes off the ball and gets movement at the point of attack. And I don't care who you're playing against, I demand you do it. And you know what that means. There's going to be coaches out there elevating their voice and yelling from time to time. And I walked out and I heard practice, Paul, and I heard some yelling from coaches, and that felt really really good.
Speaker 4: You know what it was Kayzer White that talked about with you this week. I remember what he told you about Jonathan Gannon, because Kayser White knows them as well as anyone. And he said, some coaches tell you what you want to hear. That's not kg. Jonathan Gannon will tell you what you need to hear. And I can back that up just being out there today. There were a number of players who got lit up, who got held accountable. I'm just gonna tell you that right now. So there's that. And then what was interesting what Jalen Thompson said to the media today about Nick Rolis. For example, he said an I quote he lets the players be a little more free on defense. Interesting, okay. And then, because everybody wants the quarterback news, Clayton Tone, I'm expecting him to get a lot of reps when we get the camp. Jonathan Gannon gave three takeaways so far. Number One, he's not scared to fit the ball into tight windows. Two, his handle of the offense has impressed the coaches. His football like you. Number Three, he plays the position of the way it should be played with confidence and command. Clayton Tune. So we'll see what he's all about. Because Remember we'll see behind Cole McCoy there are two journeymen, so he's got every single chance to make an impression, no doubt about it. Once again, single game tickets on Saleasycardinals dot com Slash buy tickets to secure your seats today. Special thanks to Greg Dorsch Cardinals Receiver are Jim Omhundro, Cody Fincher for On Wolfley on Paul Calvic. This has been the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford and Gilbert. We are santan Ford number one til.
Speaker 2: You've been listening to the Big Red Rage presented by santan Ford in Guilder. Are you santan Ford State Farm? Talk to an agent today at eight hundred State Farm and buy Arizona Cardinals podcasts. Visit Azycardinals dot com Slash podcasts.
Speaker 4: This has been an exclusive
Speaker 2: Presentation of the Arizona Cardinals football card