Speaker 1: Welcome to off the cup with me, se Cup. How is it going. I'm in the Northeast, and I'll tell you it feels like the weather is just against us. We get like a minute of sunshine and spring, and then it's rainy and freezing again. Can we just fully move into warm already? It's May, School's almost doubt. I'm in sweaters and rain boots. I haven't been truly warm since last fall. I'm just over it. Let's lock in, lock into warm weather. It's not great for my mood. How have you been feeling. I know we're doing more politics here, but I'm also I'm checking in on your mental health. There's a lot of shit happening in the world and in the news, and I get it if you're feeling overwhelmed. I think between the news and the weather, it's pretty bleak out there. But I do hope to have some good news for you today on a few fronts. On politics, I'm going to give you what I think is some good news, and on health, I think I may have some good news. On the other hand, we learned this week the President Trump is not thinking about you at all, not not even a little bit. Trump was asked about the Iran war, which is entering it's eleventh week, and whether the economic pain it's caused Americans is part of his thinking as he enters negotiations. Take a listen. It's a little hard to hear he's standing in front of a helicopter when you're invocating with Iran that your president.
Speaker 2: What extent are American financial textmation motivating you? The NATU up, not even a little bit.
Speaker 1: The only thing that matters is we're I'm talking about Iran. They can't have a nuclear weapon. I don't think about American financial situation. I don't think about anybody. I think about one thing. You could not let Iran have a no clear weapon. That's all I mean. There it is. It's in black and white. It's crystal clear. Your economic pain is not part of his calculus at all. Now, that's either a very bold thing to say in an election year or a pretty stupid thing to say an election year. I'll let you decide. But one thing it isn't is surprising. Trump wasn't thinking about you or me when he decided to go to war with Iran. He was thinking about himself. What can distract everyone from the Epstein files and this terrible economy I've created thanks to my dumb tariffs. I know I'll start a war. I promised I wouldn't, and that's how I got elected. But who cares. It's what's best for me. I think the greatest trick that Trump's managed to pull off is the one where he convinced millions of Americans that he cares about them. He's never cared about them. He didn't care about regular people when he was building casinos and underpaying his employees. He didn't care about regular people when he was charging exorbitant amounts of money for Trump University courses that were fraudulent. He didn't care about his own voters when he told them the twenty twenty election was rigged and stolen, inciting thousands of them to go commit crimes at the Capitol. He didn't care about them when he took millions of their hard earned dollars to help quote stop the steal, and instead use their money to pay his lawyers in Millennia's stylists. He didn't care about America when he incited an insurrection against it. He doesn't care about anyone but himself. We've known that for decades. This isn't new information, and yet people seem surprised and indignant that he's not like more worried about your gas prices. He doesn't give a shit about your gas prices. But if you go and listen to like Joe Rogan or some of these MAGA influencers that were once you know, wholly unquestioning of Trump, they're like shocked, what is he doing? Why doesn't he care? He's never cared? What are you talking about? What do you mean?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Trump was never here to make America great again? So if this war screws us, he doesn't care. If tariffs screw us, he doesn't care. He's off spending billions in taxpayer dollars on ballrooms and reflecting pools and vanity projects to put his name on stuff. Of course, he's not thinking about your finances or my finances, of course not No what else He's not thinking about midterms? That's obvious because no president or party leader who cared about the outcome of an election would be saying and doing the things that he's saying and doing. And Republicans know he doesn't care about the midterms, which is why they have to rig them with these redistricting orgies. Think about it this way. If Republicans, and I'm talking about elected lawmakers, if the GOP believed that Trump cared about the midterms, wouldn't they be super confident that they could win them. If Republicans believed Americans liked their ideas, liked Trump's agenda, wanted to give them all two more years, they wouldn't need to redraw the maps to suppress Democratic votes. They know they can't win on their ideas. They know that Trump is tanking them back home and he's not gonna stop, so they have to cheat. And here's where we get to our first bit of good news, because I've been talking to a lot of Democrats who are really down in the dumps about these redistricting wars, and I understand it. They were feeling really good about the midterms and then Republicans won a bunch of redistricting battles and Dems lost a few in Virginia at the Supreme Court, in those Indiana state primaries. So the mood among Dems is down. It's bad. They were thinking, God, we're going to win the House back, maybe even the Senate, and now they're worried Republicans could keep both scary and unimaginable but a possibility. But I have what I think is a silver lining, and I don't hear a lot of people talking about it. So let's talk about it, and let me just get this out of the way, and let me say it from the beginning in case I have to, but I shouldn't have to. I hate these redistricting pissing contests. They're undemocratic, they hurt every voter. I don't like Republicans doing them. I don't like Democrats joining them to do them. We are supposed to choose our candidates. We the voters, get to choose our candidates. This is candidates choosing their voters. It's not how it's supposed to work. And I hope someone runs in twenty six or twenty eight unending jerry mandering period. But all that said, there is a world in which the rights over zealous consolidation of power here through redistricting actually helps Democrats. There is a world in which Democrats, I believe, actually needed this fight. Hear me out. Let me take you back to two thousand and eight. Barack Obama won the presidency in two thousand and eight with ninety five percent of the black vote that year. It was a new zenith, It was a new high. But that number has dropped precipitously over the next few cycles that followed. In twenty twenty four, Kamala Harris won just eighty three percent of the Black vote. That was down from Joe Biden's eighty seven percent in twenty twenty, so a swing of more than ten percentage points from two thousand and eight to twenty twenty four. Okay, more than ten percent of the Black vote either stayed home or left the Democratic Party for the Republican Party. We know that Trump's picked up some of those black voters, but we also know many just stayed home. They were disillusioned with the Democratic Party. They were telling us. They were saying that a party had taken and then for granted and was no longer like showing up for them. That's how they felt. You remember all the talk in twenty twenty four around the Democratic coalition kind of dismantling a bit. Now, I assume that's worrying for Democrats, but I don't know for sure, because they decided not to release their autopsy for some insane reason. I also assume they have a plan to recapture those disaffected black voters that they lost in twenty twenty four, but again, who knows what that plan might be since they won't share the autopsy. Again, the dumbest idea I've ever heard, but I think the redistricting worst can help. Republicans have been targeting these very voters, carving up predominantly black majority districts all over the country, especially in the South. This attempt, I think to further disenfranchise black voters by Republicans could end up motivating them to turn out for the twenty twenty six midterms in ways they might not have planned to. After all, remember, polling was showing Democrats were poised to crush Republicans in the midterms before the redistricting, Democrats were going to kill it. So, if you're a disaffected Democrat who maybe stayed home for the presidential who's one of the folks giving very low approval numbers to Democrats right now, are you really running out to vote in the midterms if you think that the party is a lock on taking the House, maybe you don't feel like you have to. But now that Democrats are back against the wall and the very voters it lost in twenty twenty four are the same voters being targeted by Republicans. Well, this feels like a very important turnout driver to me. One Democratic strategist put it this way to Politico. He said, Democrats are going to be able to go into African American communities and say Republicans are doing everything they can to take away your political power. And that's a really salient message. He says, Yeah, it is. And Democrats I keep saying this midterm election is not going to be I don't think either party is trying for or should try to capture independence. I think both parties need to turn out their bases for this midterm election. They need to double triple down on their base voters, get every single one of them out to end up winning. And Democrats especially need Black voters to turn out because that's part of the base that they need to count on. And turnout among Black voters in the last midterms dropped by ten percentage points from fifty one point seven percent turnout twenty eighteen to forty two percent turnout in twenty twenty two, and in that same period, white turnout drop just one point five points. So it's not symmetrical. The gap. In twenty twenty two, the racial gap between black voters and white voters in terms of turnout. That gap was the largest in any election, presidential or midterms since two thousand. So Democrats have a problem with their black voter base. They need it to show up. It has been precipitously showing up less. Okay, And the last two examples, the presidential in twenty four and the midterms in twenty twenty two, were really really bad for the Black vote and the Democratic Party really bad. And I hate to tell you there's more sort of bad news in this. Democrats simply don't have a transformational figure like an Obama or a Bill Clinton waiting in the wings to rebuild the black coalition. They just don't Who is that candidate? You can't name it. I can't name it. So if they don't have the messenger, and they don't have the message, as far as I can tell, I'm not sure what their message is to win back black voters. I haven't heard it. They got to go with what they do have, and what they have right now is a crisis. Redistricting is an existential crisis, and it's aimed at suppressing the black vote. Democrats should harness this moment turn it against Republicans so that Democrats and black voters in particular turn out in record numbers in November to make all the millions that Republicans have spent on rigging these elections moot completely moot, because you can't override the will of the people. But that will has to be there. Democrats have to make the case that Americans are fighting for representation, fairness, democracy, and they're voting against the party that wants to take all of that away, and a party, by the way, that doesn't care about your economic pain, not even a little. I think that could actually boost Democrats in a way they didn't have. They didn't have that way. They didn't have a way to win back the voters they lost. They were just hoping that Trump would be bad enough. That didn't work. In twenty twenty four, he wasn't bad enough that every Democratic Coalition voter turned out and voted for Kamala Harris. That didn't work. So let's try something different. Let's try motivating voters to go out and vote for something, not just against something. What do you think does that sound like a plausible thing? That could happen. Does that sound like the juice the Dems need right now? I do want to know what you're thinking about all of this. Write us it off the cup, Cup with two piece at gmail dot com. Tell me if you like this idea or not? And what you think Democrats should do about redistricting because they've tried tried doing it themselves, not completely successfully. What do they do? What do you think? What do you think should happen? All right, when we come back, I'm going to try to bring you some more silver linings, this time on the health front. Stay tuned, Welcome back to Off the Cup. I know that in addition to politics, there's some other scary news out there that you're probably worried about. I am too. It's the hand of virus. Honestly, for me, this is just another reason to never go on a cruise. I'm sorry. Between Hanta and poop cruise, do we really need to be doing these? I get it, it's self contained, it's all inclusive, it's one stop shop for family fund. But it's also a living nightmare when anything goes wrong, so count me out. But anyway, more than half a dozen US states are monitoring individuals who have either been exposed to or are exhibiting symptoms of hand virus as a result of exposure on that MVY Hondias ship. The majority of American passengers are now quarantining in Nebraska. Two were sent to Atlanta for further assessment. Hantavirus is usually transmitted to people through contact with rodents, urine, feces, or saliva. So what does it mean for you? Well, I'm excited to welcome my friend, doctor Jeremy Faust. He is editor in chief of MedPage Today. He's an emergency physician at Brigham and Women's Hospital. He's also an assistant professor at Harvard Medical School in the Division of Health Policy and Public Health. Welcome to Off the Cop doctor Faust.
Speaker 2: Good to see you.
Speaker 1: Okay, So I want to ask you about this and some other things, because it's not every day we've got one of the greatest doctors in the country on Off the Cop. No, you are, It's cool. So let's talk about hannavirus. People are very worried. Should they be or are they overreacting?
Speaker 2: I think we should be concerned about the people who are on that ship. We should be concerned about people who've come into contact with people who are on that ship, and we should be thinking about what qualifies as a contact because I think this is a moment when the dogma begins to get questioned. Right, we went through this with COVID say oh, it's not airborne. Oops, it's going through the air And so I don't think that that's unexpected. I think that that's just what happens when we get enough cases, that outlier events can happen, and that we learn more. So my major concern is for anyone in a high risk exposure, And then the next level is do we need to modify what we consider to be a high risk exposure and who are those people?
Speaker 1: So if you weren't on the cruise, if you weren't in contact with one of the people on the cruise, but you live in a state or a city where those passengers are quarantining or being assessed, should you worry at all?
Speaker 2: Or no? I'm not changing my behavior in those situations. I'm not advising people who live in California, my relatives that they need to change their behavior. But I think that this is one of those things where we want to be we want to be helpful So when people say should I be worried? If I say no and ten people die, they're going to say you told me not to worry.
Speaker 1: What's wrong with you?
Speaker 2: And if I say, hey, you should worry and then only ten people die, they say, oh, you were just overreacting. So I think what's on people's minds is the question you asked Essie, which is like, what should we do with our behaviors? And to me, like the average person doesn't need to change anything. What needs to change I think is a little bit more of a serious assessment of who the contacts are and what they ought to do.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, I've been reading right. It's hard to spread to humans actually, And there was an outbreak of the Andy's strain in Argentina in twenty eighteen. If this originates in Argentina and they know that, why hasn't it been more destructive in Argentina? Like, explain that science to me.
Speaker 2: These viruses that have a natural reservoir in animals like rodents, they jump when they have an opportunity. It happens sporadically, and then the question is is that a dead end or not? And that can be for different reasons. That could be the person who happened to be infected just didn't shed a lot of virus. It could be that the person who got infected really didn't feel well so they didn't infect anyone else. They just like didn't go out the house, yep. Or it can just be a random thing like they infected one or two people, but then those people also infected zero one and it died out. But if once in a while it infects somebody who right when they're shedding a lot of virus, happens to be in a crowded place, and that's why an outrek can occur. But like it doesn't happen all.
Speaker 1: The time, necessarily have to write okay, And then for people wondering, like with all the flashbacks and PTSD from COVID, how is this like COVID, how is it not like COVID.
Speaker 2: Well, I think the biggest difference that we know right now is that the amount of time it takes for each case, because that's such a big difference. When you have a virus that is spreading from you to me like five days apart, then if it's doubling every five days, it's two, four, eight, sixteen thirty two one twenties. You know, sixty four one twenty eight thousands millions. Okay, if it's every twenty days, sure that can happen, but you have much more time to track everything down and have awareness and so to me, and this was the big problem with the New York Times up ed by Xana Tafechi about this, where she said, you know, these these two pathogens might have similar reproduction numbers, that is, the number of people that they infect. First of all, that's not correct. I think that COVID has a much higher reproduction number. But even if they were, the difference is really baked into that interval of like how long it takes for each generation to occur, because that gives us an actual chance to stop this.
Speaker 1: Thing, right, And if it's a faster period, you just can't catch it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And there are examples of when slow doesn't necessarily mean good. Like generally it's the case when something moves slowly, we think, oh, that's a good thing. I don't want to like, I don't want to dance in the end zone. Because there are times when things that move slowly ultimately cause a long problem like HIV. Right, you can have a very slowly developing problem, and the dynamics matter, which is like how much spread is happening when people are feeling well enough to go spread it? Yeah, So in general, it's not exactly just.
Speaker 1: The slow so they know they have it correct.
Speaker 2: So it's not just the slowness. It's not just the symptomatic nature of it. It's all these combinations of biological and behavioral things that make it so that in the past outbreaks like this, you know, this just haven't happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, okay, that's good. I think a question that a lot of people have as well, and this is an unfortunate one, But it's about the political environment in which this is happening. So is this administration which left who in January? Is this HHS Secretary RFK Junior? Is this CDC? Are they going to be able to manage this well? Is this? Are we in good hands? Tell people what you think about that.
Speaker 2: They are getting lucky right now. And if this were a different pathogen, we would be hosed. And what I will just say is, I'll just give you a quick indicator of this. There are a bunch of Americans who are now back. They are people who had what we consider to be higher risk exposures. This government is afraid to tell them to quarantine. They will not say the qword. They're saying, if you're a higher risk, we would like you to do this, stay home.
Speaker 1: And that's for politics.
Speaker 2: I think it's because they are preternaturally determined to never have another COVID happen, because what they think of COVID is not that millions of people died. They think of COVID as we had to stay home. That's the injury to them and the kids. You know, the kids miss school, which is true that happened, and we could have opened school a lot earlier. But they're so their value system is not about saving lives per se. It's about avoiding a shutdown. And so if they just I'm looking at the document that they put out and it's like, and I'm going to write this in my newsletter on inside Medicine. Okay, they they're like, it starts with Q and rhymes with quarantine. But we don't want to say quarantine because that would be that would be a lockdown. And the leader of the CDC rode to power by claiming that he had to get papers to walk around Stanford, when in fact he didn't write. And so Jay Abadachari is so anti lockdown that he's unwilling to say to people who are high risk, you need to stay home. And I'll just give you another example. Wow, right now, if you came from the m behind us and you are in the in the bio containment or the quarantine center, you can choose to go home in the next seventy two hours, right And that's fine. We think people will do the right thing. If someone wants to leave their house who's in that group and go to church, it's that's legal. There's no legal problem with that, and so this government doesn't want to do anything about that. That's the first problem. The second problem is this, if there were to be an outbreak of any kind that was scary, whether it's this one or another one. One of the great lessons of COVID nineteen is that we at any given time may be one hundred to two hundred days away from a life saving vaccine, and mRNA technology is probably the fastest one. We have an HHS secretary who thinks that mRNA vaccines are dangerous, and we have a CDC leader who actually basically doesn't agree with that, but guess what. See, Jay is not the acting director of the CDC. That's another thing that people don't remember. He says he is, but on paper he's not, and he's which means that vaccine decisions do not go to anyone else in the CDC. They reflexively go up to the Secretary. So it bothers me. Is if we had an outbreak and operation warp speed, the decision about whether to implement that life serving vaccine would be in the hands of Secretary of Robert F. Kennedy.
Speaker 1: Is chilling.
Speaker 2: That bothers me?
Speaker 1: Well, that bothers me. If it bothers you, it bothers me. So it's like it does.
Speaker 2: We don't have it. There's no vaccine for this, and there's no need at the moment. But when you ask me about what does it say about the politics?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: The two biggest things I say that bother me are that they are letting ideology drive their guidance. They will not say quarantine for people who for them very very small number of people who need to they won't say.
Speaker 1: It who should obviously do it right correct?
Speaker 2: Wow? And then if this got bigger, I'm not confident that they would have the scientific chops to get us, to manage us, to get us a safe vaccine, or to make other decisions that would keep us safe.
Speaker 1: Okay, fingers crossed, we don't get to that point. This is somewhat related. The World Cup is coming to the United States, and here is a headline I recently saw New York hospital is gearing up for nightmarish World Cup disease as fans descend on metro area.
Speaker 2: Ah, I'm going to take a slightly less alarmist approach to this.
Speaker 1: Good because I mean, let's direct let's direct some criticism at the news. Okay, because I don't like that headline either, and I could kind of sense that it was a little alarmist.
Speaker 2: But you tell me, the World Cup is happening, people are going to come to the United States of America. But it's not as though tourism is not already a really big part of our lives anyway. Yeah, So if this were some country that never has tourists and this is their one big flash where everyone's finally going to visit this nation that otherwise doesn't get people from all over the world, then yeah, it's a new entrance. It's a new flow of potential exposures. But come on, You've been around New York. There is constantly that people are coming here. Now. Granted, the current administration I think is making tourism less popular and people don't feel like dealing with that, But I tend to think that we should prepare for the World Cup. There's it's always an opportunity because there's a different kind of exposure. It's younger people, and there might be they might be the kind of people who might engage in super Spreader. By the way, Yeah, so I'm not saying that anyone who's doing World Cup preparation is doing something performative or something that's not valuable. But I think that it's a It is an added risk, but it is not taking the risk from low to high. Does that make sense?
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, yes, another item. We talk a lot about mental health here because I've struggled with mine and I've talked about that. RFK Junior is targeting SSRIs. Those are common medications prescribed for depression and anxiety and other mental health disorders. He says they're over prescribed and claims that withdrawal from SSRIs is similar to heroin, which has been criticized by some health experts as untrue. What do you make of this attention now to SSRIs by RFK Junior.
Speaker 2: Well, RFK Junior has absolutely no relevant training regarding this position that he's been confirmed by the US Senate to carry out. And the person who is responsible for that is Senator Bill Cassidy, a physician and Louisiana senator, who thought that he could believe RFK when he said that he wouldn't go after vaccines, and who thought that he would appease the MAGA movement by not stopping that appointment. And of course it's in classic fashion, he's now not getting any benefit from that in terms of his election prospects. We'll see what happens. That's your feel about mine, but he certainly regrets it in terms of what's happened to the country since then. And so Robert F. Kennedy has not only does he have no training, no expertise, he seems to have a very poor command of judgment end of the literature. He doesn't surround himself with people who help him do that very well, and so he gets himself into conspiracy theory territory by getting in rooms with people who convince him that they note something, and that's how we ended up with this idea that using Thailand during pregnancy would be associated with changes in rates higher rates of autism later on, which which has been repeatedly shown to not be the case, or at least there's no great data to say that. And I'll just mentioned since we're in this little nook that it's not a situation in which the precautionary principle applies, meaning well, just to be safe, don't take it. It turns out it's equally possible, if not more possible, that untreated fever during pregnancy is a problem worse, and so it's probably worse. And so then so quote don't take tialanold just to be safe actually ends up backfiring because they either take nothing and that's the problem, or they go to something that's actually less safe in pregnancy, like another medication class like advil, which we don't recommend because of other risks. So RFK is a disaster. What I wrote the other day on my social media was the best case scenario for us is when he's useless, because because there's sometimes when he's right and fine, everyone would have gotten that. There's never a situation in which he's correct and no one else figured that out. Everything that people every time he says anything that people go, well, he has a point. I just say, well, when Michelle Obamas said that thing about exercise and eating vegetables, you acted like she was some kind of communist. So why And now he's turned his attention to something else to get away from what really matters, which are things that he wouldn't want, things like, let's actually expand access to health care, let's actually help people get things that work. So he wants to blame pregnant women taking Kyle and all for one problem. Now he wants to say SSRIs are bad. Look, there's a world I see in which SSRIs are being overprescribed. That's possible, sure, right, that is absolutely possible, and there are committees and experts who should look at that. When RFK says it, and the way he says it, he's basically shifting blame. And then he's also just to that point you made that he said that withdrawal is worse than heroin. This is difficult for RFK to achieve. But that's one of the dumbest things he's ever said. And he said a lot of dumb shit, and so for when he said that, I thought, boy, I am I just I must have missed all those cases that came into my er people in SSRR withdrawal, compared to all these people who either are in heroin overdose because they actually their withdrawal was so bad that they actually relapsed and the dose that used to be safe for them killed them, or they're in such bad withdrawal that they're and they actually need to be the ICU. I have never, a single time in my life admitted a patient to the ICU for SSRI withdrawal. It has happened at zero times. I have people have withdrawal symptoms, and that's real. And again I'm not saying that there's not some grain of truth, but I have many times admitted patients to the hospital or the ICU because of heroin withdrawal. And I've also seen this other thing, which is the withdrawal is so bad that they relapse and then they accidentally overdose. So when he said that, I was I was just livid because it was so stupid and danger irresponsible and irresponsible, and that guy needs to be fired.
Speaker 1: I just don't understand. You're not a psychiatrist, but but the hubris of being appointed to a position you definitely should not be in, and on some level he must know this. He must he must know he doesn't have the qualifications or training, and yet he's just wildly, unabashedly irresponsibly telling people what to do with drugs and medicine and vaccines. And I just can't get into the mindset of someone like I feel sometimes I've been covering politics for twenty years. Sometimes I feel like, Hm, should I go out on a limb with this political take? Like I'm in a position of of you know, expertise, and I want to be responsible about the things that I say, and I just can't get in the mind of someone like him who does not belong in this position and is abusing it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's the real problem with this administration compared to the first time that Trump was president. The first time Trump was president and did a lot of things I disagree with, But basically when you look at who was the FDA commissioner, for example, it was Scott gottlieb By Scott Gotieb' is a reasonable, normal human being who has smart ideas, Like I don't see eye to eye on everything with Scott Gottlieb, and you know, we're friends and we can get through a conversation. Whereas you look at somebody in this administration, it's not only just that that expertise is ignored, it is disqualifying, correct, because because it gets in the way, it gets in the way of the vibes that that drive what they want to do and the manipulation.
Speaker 1: And you know Trump, Trump wanting certain outcomes, and yeah, he can't hire the best people anymore. They don't want to work for him. They know they have to lawyer up when they do. They don't have to say things that are untrue, and you absolutely have to in this administration. And so we're not getting any of the best people.
Speaker 2: But can I just say the double speak drives me crazy because he will say, oh, I'm not a doctor, don't listen to me. And even Trump has said, I'm not a doctor. Listened to me. And then they go out and they tell you what they think and what they what they want you to do, and as if people aren't going to listen. And my colleagues and I studied that, like we literally looked after the press conference in September when they said yelling don't take Tyler and All. We looked at whether there were changes in tail and All use and there were immediately, and we publish that in like the top medical journal in the world at Lancet. And these people have to I want them to know that their words carry power and that people listen. And so they do that they have the hubris and then and then they act like they are the transparent one and they are the humble ones. I am going to I'm going to call out the current lead official at the CDC, Jay about Acharia. Yeah, because Jay is so humble that he has to tell you how humble he is all the time. And literally the opening of his last op ed in the Washington Post was we have to have humility. And I'm saying, I'm reading this from a person who is currently the top official at both the NIH and the CDC as if sort of gives Trump vibes of only I only I can achieve us alone, I alone. And Okay, if you're so humble, then why do you think you have to run both agencies? And by the way, his appearance on State of the Nation on CNN was atrociously bad, not just on the facts. He said they've been tracking the hant of virus for weeks. We didn't even know about it two weeks ago, so that's just weird. And he sounded tired, and he sounded really just he was blundering through everything. And Jay about Acharia is not a person who is bad on the microphone. He's very smooth. He actually makes me kind of angry sometimes because, oh, that sounds it good. He's people are believe what he just said. He's so good. So for him to go on the air and admit that he was tired and sound terrible was a very clear example of him admitting to us that he is. He's spread to thin.
Speaker 1: Over his head.
Speaker 2: Let's have some humility and let's have someone dedicated to doing the job.
Speaker 1: Sorry, Okay, okay, I think we got a little We got a little reassurance about about hauntavirus. I think for my for my audience, but also I think you're reaffirming what we already know and think about this administration. Before I let you go, we're going to take a mental health minute with you. I'm going to ask you a few lighter questions.
Speaker 2: Okay, I hope answer.
Speaker 1: What is your favorite movie about medicine or public health.
Speaker 2: Movie about medicine or public health. I don't know. My TV show is The Pit.
Speaker 1: Okay, I was going to ask you, Okay, favorite TV doctor or t the hospital drama? It's the Pit.
Speaker 2: Yeah. For me, it's the Pit. By far.
Speaker 1: Is it really realistic? That's what people say.
Speaker 2: It's got a lot of realism. It covers things that no other show has ever done. Okay, they're just as likely to spend time on a crazy case as they are on the bread and butter problems, like somebody is here about to die because not in some rare condition, but because medic kid cuts meant that their dialysis center closed, And that is so realistic and just there. It just it's clearly the inside job. It's it's the best rendering of the stresses of the job. There's some there's some artistic license. So my answer is the Pit.
Speaker 1: I love that outbreak or contagion, I haven't.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen either since I became a doctor.
Speaker 1: So I actual way, Oh you got to go back.
Speaker 2: I know. It's funny, Like I will say, I used to watch none of these because it was like I wanted it so badly, and then I would watch them, and then now that I do it, I have to go back and say, like, oh, what was that? Was that good or not good?
Speaker 1: You have to go back. Well, I've seen both. Contagion, I'll say, is scarier outbreak. It has some comedy, you know, it's Dustin Hoffman. There's like and he's got a love interest with Renee Russo, so there's some like later moments. Contagion is full one hundred scary.
Speaker 2: I read, I really, I read a lot of books about medicine and outbreaks, but I don't watch the movies.
Speaker 1: Did you like Michael Crichton, Like Crichton books about like oak.
Speaker 2: Like Andrama, strange and all that stuff. Yeah, but again I read all that stuff before I became a doctor.
Speaker 1: How fact we need? We need Doctor Faust's opinion of contagion and outbreak. Okay, what is your favorite tip for people who are overwhelmed by bad news, especially news like this like hunt uh and other kinds of medical issues.
Speaker 2: Like for their own personal kind of mental health protection kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, give us some advice. How should we ingest all of this terrible news and still go on with our lives?
Speaker 2: I think there's a difference it's healthy to be concerned on behalf of others, to say I'm worried about people on that ship, But that doesn't necessarily mean that you personally yet have to freak out that your days are numbered. So I think that we can thread that needle of saying you can be concerned, it could be interested. You can be bothered by certain things, but you do not need to actually start to get your affairs an order.
Speaker 1: There's a difference, right, Don't borrow other people's problems is a familiar therapeutic phrase. And also, I can speak from experience someone who lives with severe anxiety disorder. Worrying about something does not prevent it from happening. Okay, And you know this was a trick I used to play, you know, in my own head. If I worry about it, it won't happen. And if I don't worry about it, I'll invite it. And obviously that's irrational. And there's only so much worrying you can do that until the tipping point where it becomes self destructive and not actually help healthy and help helpful, and you're not actually preparing for anything, you're just driving yourself nuts.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and i'd say, look for people who are measured and balanced and listen to what they have to say. I do the same thing, right, Like, if if Bahuma Ta Tangy is really really worried, I will.
Speaker 1: Be okay, you know what I mean. Yes, I'm going to take it one step further. If you're really worried, I'll be really right right because I don't know, I appreciate that, or she's amazing. Yeah great, but I know you yeah, okay. And finally, this is a question that's always very important to me. We ask it at the end of of a lot of our podcasts. Says nothing to do with anything except me. When, in your opinion, is it iced coffee season?
Speaker 2: July?
Speaker 1: It gets a month, Oh, that's when it starts. That's when it starts. Okay, When does it go? When does it end?
Speaker 2: September?
Speaker 1: July to September. Okay, that's the incorrect answer. The correct answer is year round. It's year round. But I appreciate that at least you allow for a couple months of drinking iced coffee.
Speaker 2: But what about July chips? What about what July chips? There's a brand called July Chips, and I'm always like they do they get a bump in July and then like they do not get a bump the rest of the year.
Speaker 1: And chips like potato chips.
Speaker 2: They're called July chips. They used to sell them on like the United Airlines that are like, oh you.
Speaker 1: Know, oh right, that's interesting.
Speaker 2: And you know about you know about the seafood rule about oysters, right, you know that one what the rule on oysters is that they're in season in any month that has the letter R. September, October, November, December, January, February, March, April, but not May, June, and July, August.
Speaker 1: Mains in July and August is when I eat them mostly.
Speaker 2: Well, then the caveat to that is you can eat them at the source. So the issue is not the source.
Speaker 1: I'm in Connecticut.
Speaker 2: I'm at the source, so if it's local, it's fine. The problem becomes like the and the distance from all that stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, few, I mean, I don't I don't know that we've discussed this, but like, eating oysters is religion where I live, like that is a very important part of our lifestyle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I and I am a I'm a big oyster stan and I've I've never had a bad oyster, and I fear that I fear that I will and that we'll. It will change my tune, but generally I'm a I'm with you.
Speaker 1: You will the more the more you eat, obviously, the closer you get to the roulette of getting the bad one. But uh, okay, that's all very good to know, doctor Jeremy Fous, Thanks so much for coming on Off the Cup. It's always great to talk to you like we thanks messy, all right. I hope I gave you guys some reassuring news on a few fronts, a political silver lining to redistricting, some relief maybe over hauntavirus. Can't do anything about the weather, but here's hoping that that turns around to Thanks for tuning in. We'll see you next week. Off the Cup is a production of iHeart Podcast as part of the Reason Choice Network. If you want more, check out the other Reason Choice podcasts Spolitics with Jamel Hill and Native Land Pod. For Off the Cup, I'm your host, Si Cup. Editing and sound design by Derek Clements. Our executive producers are me Si Cup and Lauren Hanson. Rate and review wherever you get your podcasts, Follow and subscribe for new episodes every week.