Speaker 1: If you want more speaking engagements, collaborations, or visibility for your brand, I got to tell you the truth. This is Terry Lomax and I've been a public speaker for over twelve years. I've lended national media, a ted talk, in six figure collaborations without a publicist or a big social media following. And here's what most people don't hear. You don't need a publicist or a massive audience to get booked. Most people are waiting to feel established first, and that waiting is costing them visibility. How many times have you looked up and seeing people with less experience getting opportunities you were fully qualified for. Here's the truth. Opportunities don't go to the most qualified. They go to the people who can clearly communicate their value. Once I learned how to organize my story and position my expertise using a framework, everything changed. If you want my exact pitch emails, word for word, my winning subject lines, and the Saucy Solutions framework, visit get that pitch dot com for a limited time use her space for a special listener discount. If this is your year to stop hiding and start getting booked, I'll see you inside. Visit get that pitch dot com or click the link in our show notes.
Speaker 2: Welcome to Cultivating her Space. I'm doctor dom, a college professor and licensed psychologist.
Speaker 1: And I'm Terry Lomax, a techie and motivational speaker. Now, before we jump into today's episode, we want to share something special. For the first time in eight years of podcasting, we're taking a much needed summer break. But stay tuned to see what that means for you.
Speaker 2: That's right, lady, After nearly a decade of showing up week after week, we're giving ourselves a little time to rest, recharge, and refill our cups. But don't worry, we're not leaving you hanging. Over the next few weeks, we'll be dropping these many episodes filled with reflections, insights, encouragement, and some of the conversations we think you need right now.
Speaker 1: When we return, you can expect even more of what you love. Authentic conversations, powerful storytelling, practical tools for healing and growth, and fresh perspectives on everything from mental health and relationships to self discovery and personal development. Thank you for being part of this community and for growing alongside us over the years. Now let's get into the mini episode all.
Speaker 2: Right, team, we are in July officially for this episode when it's being released, and so I want us to normalize something, right that just because January we had a vision board doesn't mean that come the end of June we're looking at July. We're in July, that we have to carry guilt for what hasn't yet come to fruition on that vision board, right, Yeah, I want us to really sit and understand that what we started with in January, by June or July, life happens like jobs change, relationships shifts, something happens with our health, our priorities evolve, And what tends to happen for us is that life was lifing. Right, all these things that we didn't that wasn't on the vision board started happening, and we get to a space where if we didn't accomplish, we haven't accomplished all the things that were on the vision board for January, we start to think that we failed. First, let's note that it's only halfway through the year, and life be life, we cannot predict all the things that will occur, right, because otherwise, if we could, life looks a whole lot different. And so what we're going to talk about today is how do we release that narrative that if come mid year we haven't accomplished the things on the vision board, that we fail, like, we're just going to release that. So today's episode is about recalibrating.
Speaker 1: I love that, And one thing I want to just add to that to Domas sometimes, I mean, obviously we want to achieve our goals, but I have found that it's been more interesting to explore who I've become as I'm en route to the goal. Like I know it probably sounds so cheese, like, oh, it's the journey, It's all about the journey, but man, the journey it really is the thing that develops us. And I feel like a lot of times when you achieve the goal, it's often not really about the goal. It's about like who you became, the discipline, the lessons you learned right, the experiences you had, and as someone who's faced so much God damn adversary adversity, and I've told God, I said I am done, I'm retiring from being your strongest soldier. I can say that all the adversity has definitely, it is definitely, I don't know, I want to say chiseled me into the person that I am that I'm proud of today. So I just want to put that out there, like, be strong, I know you, even if you may not have achieved the goal, think about what you've learned about yourself, right, what you've experienced, and just what you've learned in general, because I think one of the biggest myths too, dom when it comes to success is that it's supposed to happen in a straight line, right, And that kind of sound is boring. I'm not gonna lie, like if you just get what you want, it's like that when you look back on it at hindsight, you're like, man, like I have so much appreciation for some of the things that I've achieved because of the journey of it all, you know.
Speaker 2: And so yeah, yeah, but let's let's let's talk a little bit more about that, right, yeah, about it not being a straight line, because I like that that point that you made there, And so I think about my life, your life, the people around me, and I think about like when we set a goal for ourselves and going back to like just thinking about like, Okay, at the top of January, you set a goal, right, and but something happened. Right. So let's say that this year, one of your goals was to save ten thousand dollars, but then your car broke down and your car required three thousand dollars worth of repairs. Yeah, well shit, and that's more. That's that's outside of your emergency budget, right, like your emergency budget like that and so and then your child who participates in all the sports, needed an additional three thousand dollars worth of uniforms for all the sports and trips and all the things, right the Lord, So there goes that ten thousand dollars. Math, people don't come from me because I know that that's not a back of ten thousand dollars. That there are things that derailed you from saving your ten thousand dollars, right, So maybe you only got to save because I'm about to make this math math, you only got to save four thousand, and so I think instead of us looking at I only saved four thousand, I didn't meet my goal of ten thousand, and you hear my tone, right like, because that's how we talk to ourselves about it, right, like the disappointment, the frustration, the anger, all the things, instead of looking at it from that perspective. It's despite the curve balls that I was thrown, I was still able to save four thousand dollars. Yeah. Right, It's about shifting and reframing our perspective. And in that process, my child won the state championship, was on the team that won the state championship. They wouldn't have been able to do that had I not had the funds. If I had been strict on my money is going towards this ten thousand dollars goal, my child wouldn't have been on the state championship winning team.
Speaker 1: M h. Yeah, I think that's a that's I'm glad that you pointed that out because a lot of times we can be so hard on ourselves when it comes to things we can't even control, and that is literally just life like that. It happens. There are always going to be curve balls and things that happen, and so I think it's important and as we're in pursuit of our goals to realize that that it's not failure. You're not a failure. Life just happened, and you may need to just make some alterations, right exactly.
Speaker 2: And so I think it's about it's about the language that we're using. Right, So, instead of asking ourselves as we're trying to recalibrate, instead of asking ourselves, why didn't I accomplish my goal, you can ask what did this season require from me? Right?
Speaker 1: Oh, that's a beautiful one. I love that.
Speaker 2: How close did I get to accomplishing the goal? What lessons can I take away from what I've experienced in route to achieving this goal? Yeah?
Speaker 1: All right, lady, We're going to take a quick part to share something we genuinely love and are excited to partner with. This episode is sponsored by VB Health and we'll tell you why they've officially earned a spot in our wellness rotation.
Speaker 2: Lady, we want to talk about one of their products called drive Boost.
Speaker 1: And right away, dom one thing that stands out about this product is how intentional it is. You already know the libido space can feel confusing and honestly not very trustworthy.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and VB Health approaches this differently. Drive Boost is doctor formulated, made with scientifically backed ingredients, and third party tested for quality and safety.
Speaker 1: And just like everything we promote, this is a product that we personally tried and feel good recommending it works.
Speaker 2: No girl. Another thing worth noting. Drive boost is formulated for all genders. That's you, your partner, and anybody else, which isn't always the case in this category.
Speaker 1: Yes, I love that so much, lady. If you want to learn more or explore whether it's a fit for you, visit VB dot health and use code her space for ten percent off or click the link in the show notes.
Speaker 2: And now let's get back to the conversation.
Speaker 1: That's a good one, and I'm loving the what did this season require me? Because if you were to literally make a list of all those things on your plate, all that you've been handling, it might make you like, oh shit, I was doing all this and I still did a little bit of something something, you know what I mean, Like I still made a little bit of progress. I think we just really have to be compassionate with ourselves, especially in these times, lady. We have so much on our plate physically, emotionally, mentally, with everything going on in the world. Like, give yourself a break, police, Okay, we have to be gentle with ourselves. It's a lot going on. You may have finally left a toxic relationship. That's worth something, because you know, as hard as hell, to leave them toxic relationships, or to leave a situation where the d was good you know how it is. Okay, you know how it is, and it wasn't serving you right. You may have started therapy. That's something to celebrate, or maybe you paid off a little bit of debt, you know, learn to rest without guilt. I think there are so many things that we're doing that are worth celebrating that we just take for granted. We're like, oh, yeah, I just did that thing. Uh, that should be celebrated. It counts exactly.
Speaker 2: All of that counts. And I think the thing you think about, too, is as you're looking at that, as you're looking at what this season required of you, and what are the in creating that accomplishment list? Right, Yeah, look for themes and patterns in that accomplishment list, because I think what it does is allows you the opportunity to refine and rewrite your goals, your narrative about yourself. And because oftentimes what happens for us is that we end up moving in the direction of the things that we actually value. That so we might name in January ten things that we're trying to work on, and if those things really aren't calibrated to our values, then chances are life is gonna life and we might not be making the moves to achieve these goals because they really aren't aligned with what feels good for us, where our values are right. And so I think a few questions that we want to ask ourselves as we're trying to recalibrate and like really assess what are the goals that we need to be focused on. You can ask yourself, what do I want to protect, what do I want to lease? What deserves more of my attention? And what's one one habit emphasis on one that would support the life I'm trying to build.
Speaker 1: I love it. I'm just processing those questions down and I'm thinking about making it like a little challenge for this week where lady, you can let this be your homework. Right, you can set aside twenty minutes, grab your journal and just look at the goals that you wrote in January or the last time you wrote your goals, and ask yourself, is this still important? What got in the way? What have I learned? Because sometimes we evolve and change, and so the thing that we're pursuing, like Don was saying, it may not even align with your values anymore, so just aligning what's important to you right now with what you're actually pursuing, so that everything can just be in alignment.
Speaker 2: Yes, I like that word alignments.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 2: And to your point that you made in earlier is growth is not about what you've achieved right, It's not about measuring what you've achieved. It's about measuring who you are becoming. Recalibrating does not mean that you are giving up. It is making sure that you're climbing the right mountain. It's doctor dom here from the Cultivating her Space podcast. Are you currently a resident of the state of California and contemplating starting your therapy journey? Well, if so, please reach out to me at doctor Dominique Brusard dot com. That's d R D O M I N I q U E B R O U S s ar D dot com to schedule a free fifteen minute consultation. I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks for tuning into Cultivating her Space. Remember that while this podcast is all about healing, empowerment, and resilience, it's not a substitute for therapy. If you or someone you know needs support, check out resources like therapy for Black Girls or Psychology Today. If you love today's episode, do us a favor and share it with a friend who needs some inspiration, or leave us a quick five star review. Your support means the world to us and helps keep this space thriving.
Speaker 1: And before we meet again, repeat after me and move in alignment not urgency. What's meant for me? Respond to me, chep Thriving Lady, and tune in next Friday for more inspiration from cultivating her Space. In the meantime, be sure to connect with us on Instagram at her Space Podcast.