Speaker 1: Welcome to the official Jets podcast, Eric on here at one Jets Drive, joined by Lejayduza bolt Well, the twenty twenty four NFL draft came and went you what is your thirty thousand foot observation of what the Jets did?
Speaker 2: Very solid draft, Okaya, A lot of position of needs were filled, right And I know people will look at that first pick, and I know we're going to go pick by pick, but I thought it was a home run pick, the OLU fashion New pick. Just when you look at you know where they got him at, where he can come into a situation where he's learning behind an all pro and a consummate pro, one being Tyron Smith, the other being Morgan Moses. And then let's not also forget when you look at Morgan Moses's deal, essentially that equates to a swing tackle deal, kind of like in the twenty one season when he came to the Jets. So if Oulu, you know, develops faster than the Jets think you will, there's a good chance e a that who's playing a lot sooner than people think.
Speaker 1: Hmmm, very interesting. Okay, so let's stick there with the big Penn State tackle. He has played left on the left side all the way since high school. What would the transition be for him as far as lining up on the right side.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's tough. It's literally I've talked to a few offensive linemen EA, and they say it's like doing everything backwards, like tying one hand behind your back, because you have to. Your brain function has to switch everything right from your plant leg to your kick leg and everything so to your punch hand. All that is opposite when you switch from one side to the other. So it's not as easy as people think. And the thing about it is, I love Timon Smith, but ea, we've seen a history of him not being able to complete seventeen game seasons. So that's that's the tricky thing for this Jets coaching staff in regards to Olu Fashionu like, when you're developing him, do you just keep him at left for the future and just in case Tyers Smith goes down or do you cross train him that way? He's the swing guy and he can go in if anybody goes down at right or left tackle. So that's that's the tidbit that I cannot wait to find out what the plan is going to be going forward.
Speaker 1: A lot dude, you could see it going either way, right, because there are there are arguments on both sides there that make a lot of sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, definitely, there's an argument that you just want to, you know, bring him in and just keep him and plant him at left tackle because we kind of know what the timer Smith is going to be a one year thing. You took Olu at pick eleven, so he's going to be the tackle of the future. Or because you want to get the best players out on the field, you cross train him right and in case somebody goes down, say Morgan Moses goes down, knock on wood, because that's one thing he usually doesn't do is miss games, right, he's an iron man. But just in case, you know, you have him cross trains to go in at right tackle as well. So that's that's the caveat to this, this whole puzzle and put and get together for this coaching staff. Do we just plant him at left tackle or do we cross train him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, We're gonna love to see how that actually unfolds. Aaron Rodgers even mentioned him possibly playing guard. I don't see that.
Speaker 2: What you what do you think about that? Listen?
Speaker 1: Aaron Rodgers brilliant dude. I think he was probably just raving about his athletic ability. I think my take on that is probably, hey, he's gonna yeah right. Uh, what about the way the board actually fell before the Jets went on the clock at ten? Uh, we knew there was going to be a run on offensive players, and there certainly was. But what did you think about the Jets options at ten and also the possibility of moving off before that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? And it's crazy because when we did this mock, I literally put us in the scenario that happened on uh you throughout the draft. I made it nice as hard as possible. I put it where there was going to be a run on so many offensive players that the Jets would have to trade up to potentially eight to get to get Roma Dounze. But in ours I stayed patent to you know, Troy Fontanu because Rome went at nine, just like he did in real life. So I think I would not be surprised if Joe d actually did reach out to Atlanta. I just think Atlanta was staying pat I was one of the few people that heard, you know, and got wind of the rumors that they could take Michael Pennick Jr. Actually had a podcast that do for CBS. I stated it on that Tuesday that do not be surprised that Atlanta Falcons be a sneaky team to take a quarterback and that quarterback be Michael Penick Junr. Just because I heard ea that they flew out in the extensive work on him. I know a lot of people didn't see that happening, them taking a quarterback at eight just because they paid Kurt co Chain's a bowload of money. But that kind of like threw the draft a little bit into tailspind because even if Joe D reaches out to Atlanta, I heard rumors that three other teams were trying to trade in the top ten to get Michael Pennick Junior. So Atlanta was never leaving off of eight. So I think Joe D did what he could, and I love that he was able to trade back just one spot and pick up some draft capital. So kudos to him, you know, for being smart and tactical in that situation and being able to pick up a few extra pigs by moving back just one spot.
Speaker 1: So credit goes to you because you've got high on panics throughout the scouting process. You thought people were sleeping on him, and that comes to fruition on Thursday night, Round one of the draft, where he goes eight overall great six six quarterbacks taken in the top twelve selections, too rich.
Speaker 2: I never would have saw that. I would have never saw that. I'm not even gonna like to Denver. I had to talk to a few people, and I knew that Sean Payne and and the Denver Brash were high on Nicks. I thought it was a scenario where they would try to trade back and maybe get him at the end of the first at worse. But I think there was a scenario where they were kind of pigeonholed just because of the way the draft fell, and maybe not too many people wanted to move up. Kind of surprised some teams didn't try to move up and get a fatanu. He fell all the way to I believe what twenty EA, which was a surprise. I did not see that happening in the draft. So maybe Denver did make some calls and nobody was willing to move up, and maybe they just didn't feel comfortable dropping back too far because they knew the Raiders were there at thirteen it could they potentially have taken both knicks, so they ended up getting their quarterback of the future. To me, little rich like you were saying, I didn't see twelve quarterback I mean six quarterbacks going in the first twelve picks. I mean that's literally fifty percent of the draft going in the first twelve picks was quarterbacks. Like, when does that ever happen? All right?
Speaker 1: What does it say about the state of the National Football League that the first fourteen picks in the two thoy twenty four NFL Draft we're all offensive players And as a former defense alignment, are you pissed?
Speaker 2: Of course I'm pissed. It's disgusting and lets you know it. Lets you know the thought process of the NFL right now, right it's the offensive base league. And more so, I think teams are looking at it as if, yeah, I don't have a quarterback, I have no chance, right because I don't think anybody would have penciled six quarterbacks in the first twelve And you stated it. The first defensive player was like Atsu Latsu. He didn't go to pick fifteen, So almost halfway through the draft that was when the first defensive player came, which is unheard of. I think the longest and recent memory was like seven picks right before a defensive player had been taken. So you're talking about double that before a defensive player was taken. So I just think it's it shows you the way the NFL is trending. Offensive base league. The old school, you know, defensive wins championships, ya is here no more.
Speaker 1: But the bottom line is it from a Jets perspective, it made sense that they were going to offensive player because, yeah, they have a very good defense. Correct, that might be elite if a couple things here this year, and on paper, I think it's a better unit than last year. Bowl. We'll get to that here in a couple moments. But we knew all along that, hey, it's either going to be tackle or receiver. And you weren't surprised at all that Douglas did not take brock Powers.
Speaker 2: Nope, not at all. And I've read some things and talked to a few people, and I don't even think it was a consideration for the Jets. Ea, You've heard me say multiple times, I love this tight end room the Jets have. We talk about Tyler Conklin, Jeremy Rucker and I think Joe Douglas spoke to that as well, and also Robert Sala. They love that tight end room as well. And you talk about Zach Koons, a developmental guy that they took in the seventh who has another year under his belt, you would think the development would be there also with Kenny Yoboa. But those two top guys I think are sure fired really good players. When you talk about Tyler Conklin and Jeremy ruckerds so to me, again, you can say what you want about Brock Bowers, and again I like brock Brows as a player. Yeah, well, positional value is a real thing. You could say he's a weapon X and all this, and that he's still a tight end at the end of the day. And you know, obviously the Raiders when they got to their pick, even though they took Michael Mayer last year, they decided, you know, he was so high on our board, let's go ahead and grab him. I still thought that was a little rich, even for him at thirteen. But I love what the gestat and not getting Rock Bowers, not to say he's not a good player. I just think tackle made a lot more sense for the New York Jets.
Speaker 1: Is it possible that fashion Neu has a higher ceiling than Joe Wald too went number five overall to the Chargers.
Speaker 2: He has the highest ceiling in this draft at offensive tackle. I don't even think it's close. When you talk about a guy that has the arm length that he has, the lower body strength that he has, how he's able to move people off the football. Now, a lot of people will say in that Ohio State game, he got beat with some power, but he still didn't give up a sack in that game. So when you look at it, at the end of the day, as long as your quarterback doesn't get sacked, you did your job as an offensive tackle. So he's going to get stronger. He's already got great lower body strengths. I saw he was working out with Duke out there in Texas and I saw some of those dead lift in the Lord's an. He's he's a unit. Now, he's a unit. So he's only going to get stronger.
Speaker 1: Dude, if he's working out at the gym and I walk in, I'm going to do some cardio.
Speaker 2: I'll be back to lift waights later.
Speaker 1: So Day two, the Jets had to wait a little bit. Joe Douglas. Uh, not afraid to trade on Draft weekend six in all four trade downs.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's funny, we'll get into Malachi. But I literally thought on day three, I'm like, are the Jets ever gonna pick the eight? Like every time we were up, it was a trade back, trade down, trade back, trade back. But get it into Corley. This was a guy that the Jets were extremely high on, right. You know, they got to see him out there at the Senior Bowl and you saw the text message that went viral right between Joe d and Robert Sala Malachi Coraley no matter what, right little Draft day homage right there. Respect to that movie and.
Speaker 1: The way Ethan interviewed him on Ethan Greenbergy after the truck. I saw that and al said he loved the movie but hated it.
Speaker 2: Does No GM probably likes that movie, man. No GM probably likes that movie. When you talk about Melicai Corley and what he refits in with the Jets, I think the Jets were high on him than a lot of other than more than other teams three. There's rumors. There's rumors that he was number four after the Big Three on their list, which I could see why when you look at the way he plays, it kind of fits the mantra of all gas no breaks that Robert Salah has. He is a guy that you just got to get the ball in space. They call him the yacht king, right because yards after contact are big for him, or yards after I say yards after contact. For him it's yards after contact, but that means yards after catch, but for Melica it's yards after contact. Because he's a guy that's no fair dodging. I mean, this guy put up two twenty five, twenty seven times. That's what d Lineman put up, right. So you see the strength in the body. You see it on film constantly, him just shrugging guys off, running through guys. He's one of those guys that he's gonna make defensive backs make business decisions ea. And he's a guy where you just get the ball to him and on screens, on crossing patterns, you know, speed sweeps, and just let him go. He has a different skill set than any other receiver in that room. So that's why I think he fits in really well. He's a guy that's probably gonna get five to six touches a game where they just get him the ball in space and just let him go.
Speaker 1: It's interesting the way he was used at Western Kentucky. Do you take a similar approach at the next level with the Jets and specifically this offense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure as he develops his route tree, because it was a big question mark for him. You know, how diverse was his route tree? And I think at the Senior Bowl he showed pretty well. Right, there's a clip I remember him going one on one with Queen Ya Mitchell, who to me was the number one quarter you know, stemmed them outside and beat them inside, and I was like, Okay, let's growth right there in this rap development. That's something that the Jets can work on. But I think for his rookie year, you have a plan in place for him where you just get him the ball, similar to what Western Kentucky did and just let him go.
Speaker 1: Man, how unique is it the way he runs after the catch. I know, hey, listen, I hate putting pro comps on guys.
Speaker 2: But I know where you're going. I know where you're going.
Speaker 1: When you hear Deebo Samuel, your ears perk up and you're.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I think the difference between the two, the physicalness is definitely Debo I think Debo has a little bit more acceleration. Al Yeah, but the physicalness and the way that Debo runs and the way he makes DB's make business decisions, it's it's on the money to me, actually reminds me a little bit more of Golden Tate. I don't think people tend to forget how good Golden Tate was and how physical Golden Tate was after he caught the ball, right, uh, you just go back to when he h was I think in Detroit and he played Seattle and he caught that ball on the sideline and stefan one dude and then flipped in the end zone to score a touchdown. Like it shows you the lower body strength that he has. And Malakai Corley is just like Golden Tate in that manner. And I think they'll use him in the same way that you know the Detroit Lions used him as well, where they use him a lot of crossing patterns. That way, you get him on a safety end in one on one in the open field, and you make that safety make a decision whether he's really about that life tackling or not. That's why I think you know this this offense should do with Malakai Corley.
Speaker 1: Let's get to day three. The draft surprise here at all from your perspective to the Jets go to running backs, sandwich around a quarterback. We knew the developmental passer was gonna come at some point day three. And we'll get to Jordan Travis in the second. But your thoughts on Allen from Wisconsin isaaed Davis from South Dakota State.
Speaker 2: Yeah, both big physical backs. I think Braylen Allen if you look at the twenty twenty two tape, I mean, he was a monster. EA, Like, I believe he led the nation in broken tackles and it was like by a large amount. It wasn't even close. I mean when you look at him, just look at the physique of him, it kind of reminds you of King Henry, like honestly. And it's funny that I said that because they actually, I believe, work out together in Texas. So he's actually shifty for a guy his size. Now, he's not the best pass catcher at all, but he's a guy that's going to get you those tough yards, and guys just seemed to bounce off of him, EA like literally, and then Isaiah Davis. I'm a huge Isaiah Davis fan. I remember calling his playoff game two years ago out there in South Dakota when they played UC Davis. At the time, they had a running back that was in front of him called named Pierre Strong, but Isaiah Davis was started taking carries away from him because he was that special of a player, ultra productive. He has a Le'Veon bell running style, real patience behind the line of scrimmage, and then he explodes through the second level and he's another guy that's physical, like he's gonna make you make a business decision in that secondary. So they got two backs that are different than what's currently on their roster. Not that Breesehall can't be a physical back, but when you look at him and i Isy Abandoned County, you talk about guys that have the top end speed that can really take it the distance. These two guys are more physical, right, They're gonna get you those gritty yards that you need.
Speaker 1: We Breeshall is dangerous and open field. He was hurt in defensive backs last year. The other thing about Davis that is quite surprising, and you could add some color here since you've seen him in person, is that I've been told the guy is a really good special teams player, and that was shocked by that because just looking at his stats and his numbers, I thought there'd be no time for him to play.
Speaker 2: No time for special team. But that's that's a really well run South Dakota State team. Right. They actually had I believe two Offton Liman, Mason McCormick and Field get drafted as well. They actually had two receivers that then go free agents. They're twin brothers and Yankee brothers. So this is a program that you know, even though it's FCS, it's ran like an FBS, right, and guys go there and developed really well. We talked about Pierre Strong, he was a high draft pick or a fourth rounder I believe for the Patriots, then got traded to the Cleveland Browns. And let's not forget Dallas Goddard was another guy that was there as well. So they developed players really well, and they had a corner going the seventh round. So this is a program that developed got developed, develops guys really well, and they understand what it takes to get to the next level. So a lot of those skill position players, they're special teams aces on that team, like some of their best players are their best special teams players. So that's a program. Again, if you're not fortunate enough to go FBS and you can get a scholarship and go to FCS, that's the school you should look at because they're gonna get you prepared for the next level.
Speaker 1: The other thing I like about Allen he's twenty years old. It's the youngest player in the draft class.
Speaker 2: He's very young, so a lot of upside there as well. And one thing he does really well too is protection, and we know that's a big thing for rookie quarterbacks coming into the league. You got to be able to fit it up there and protect to protect the run quarterback, but you also got to know what you're doing back there. Ea right when line slides, you got to know if you got a guy up in the middle, you got a guy off the edge. You have to know these things and that's the big thing for Aaron Rodgers. He's not going to have a back in the backfield unless they know what they're doing protection wise. So I think Brydlon Allen coming in as a guy that's proven at Wisconsin. He knows the protections. He knows he can stick it up there, and we know he's a bigger back to EA. So the physicalness and contact he's not going to shy away from. He's gonna fit it up with linebackers blitzing up the middle. So I think that gives him a nice edge too. In regards to maybe seeing the field this year, with.
Speaker 1: All the player acquisitions on the offensive side of the ball, are you seeing a change of mindset from the Jets? Not that they were a finets team before on the offensive side, but I'm just thinking physical talk.
Speaker 2: I love what you.
Speaker 1: I love you when you're talking about John Simpson and then you try you bring Morgan back here, and you got Tyron Smith, and then you get for Shadow and none you come and get Corley, and then you get these two big, burly backs who were just really good after contact and they want to just run through you. And I just think that a mindset change is underway in a big, big time way.
Speaker 2: I'm so glad you brought that up, BA, because when you look at this team and you look at the personnel that's been added, and you look at kind of how they finished the season. When you go to the Denver Broncos game, you go to the Patriots game. This team by nature and then Daniel Hackett and where he came from. The Little floor Tree is a zone based team. But they started playing and running more gap scheme. And if you look at the guys they brought in, John Simpson was one of the best pulling guards in football last year. Morgan Moses is one of the best run blocking tackles in all of football. You talked about the physical backs they brought in. Braylan Allen is a good scap gap scheme back. You got a patient running back in Isaiah Davis who's a physical back as well. Could we see a philosophy change this year, ea in seat of running more zone, running, more gap scheme, where you're going to get double teams, guardpool, more physical runs. I think Robert Salaz, a defensive coach, would love that, right and the personnel kind of measures up to that as well. So I can't wait to see that. And then you talk about having a guy like Jeremy Rutger who will rip your face off in the run game as well. Like I think this team will play a little bit more. They'll still have the split zone in there, obviously, but I think you're gonna see a little bit more gap scheme with this team as well.
Speaker 1: And Aaron Rodgers is one of the best players in the history of this game. But he's also an exceptional play action passer correct and he knows obviously when to exploit matchups. And you add a were we have a punishing style running game. You got Rogers, who is so gif did as far as looking at the defense and saying, I know where I have my strengths in the formation here. And then you get Corey into the mix where hey, you can get him the ball five six times a game, and hey, he watch you out defensive backs because he's coming after you. Garrett Wilson's gonna get more space, you like the tight end room. I don't know, man, I'm excited about what this offense potentially could be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think if you just look on paper. We've stated this before eight being on paper means absolutely nothing, right, you got to go out there and do it. But just on paper, this is one of the most complete rosters in the NFL. And it's not me being a Homer. I guarantee most people would agree with that as well. When you talk about a championship type defense that added the caliber player that Hassan Reddick is like, who was in the running for Defensive Player of the Year. Right, and then you look at Aaron Rodgers potentially coming back. You add a perennial All Pro tackle and timern Smith an iron man tackle, and Morgan Moses. You get Olu for Shannu. Right, you get the yacht King and Malachi Corley. You got Mike Williams, who was one of the best contested fifty to fifty jump receivers in the NFL. And Garrett Wilson, who is just one of the best all around young receivers in the game. And let's not forget Reese Hall is going to make this all come together, right, He's one of the best pure playmakers in the NFL. Like again, on paper, it's just one of the most complete rosters. But again it has to be done on the field.
Speaker 1: Jordan Travis, we knew the Jets were going to go young quarterback. They go the Florida State Pass or there in round five. That was a trade up. Joe Douglas didn't want to wait any longer, so he sends a pair of picks to the Eagles. What can you say about his journey and also what do you like about this acquisition?
Speaker 2: Well, when you look at it, besides Jaden Daniels, EA, I would say Jordan Travis probably had the best ascension at quarterback besides Jaden Daniels, and we're talking about growth from the quarterback position. Was the best in the ACC last year, which says a lot when you've got a guy that goes number three overaw In Drake May from North Carolina. Jordan Travis was the best player in that conference. And I don't think anybody could even question that. Like, we saw what he meant to that Florida State team and him not being there left them out of the college football playoffs, right That lets you know how important he was to that team. Really grow, grew as a passer, really good touch passer, doesn't have the strongest arms, tough, competitive guy when he does put his foot in the ground and run, very dynamic in the open space running the football, and he's comfortable throwing on the run. And I think the biggest thing about him and why this staff really loves him, he's just competitive. He's really competitive in regards to like just leaving it all there on the line to win games. That's what Jordan Travis does. I asks a lot of them at the line of scrimmage last year at Florida steps at Florida State in regards to techs and getting them in the right place. So you love that extension in this game as well, because we see so many times in college football where you know, these quarterbacks looked to the sideline, and he did some of that as well, but a lot of it was on him to make sure people were in the right positions at Florida State. So again, you're right, I was. I was probably higher on Michael Pratt for the Jets, but I could see why they went Jordan Travis and he guess a great red shirt year to learn by two consummate pros, and Tyrod Taylor and Aaron Rodgers. I mean, who better to learn from as you grow and develop as a young quarterback.
Speaker 1: He actually started his career at Louisville, Like you said, his ascension at Florida State was really something else. And Mike Norvell when he went to Florida State kept him and he became the face of that team. And last year twenty touchdowns, two interceptions football, that's really good. Decision making, did he throw better with anticipation as his career progressed, and also can you talk about his movement skills. Unfortunately he went down against North Alabama. You feel so bad for Florida's State, the program that they couldn't compete for a national championship, but also the person Jordan Travis and everything he had been through to get to that point. Because Florida State struggled for a while and then Norwalk comes in and they take all these massive steps and Jordan Travis is right here and he goes down. He's not able, but talk about his evolution as a passer thrown with anticipation, and also can he be a dual threat on this level as well? Eventually?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say going into two years ago, I would say there was no way he was able to play quarterback at the next level. That's the type of extension he's had. Now. He still needs to work on some of those anticipation throws that you were talking about. Doesn't throw with great anticipation, but again, he's gotten better in that aspect, and he's gotten better with his touch throws. And I talked about him being a touch throw doesn't have the biggest arm in the world as far as downfield throws. But he can make every throw that you need him to make. And we talked about it, or you alluded to his playmaking ability, right, I would say two years ago, first Reely wasn't there. He would take off. You saw the growth in the pocket this year, and that's the most important thing for a young quarterback to sit in there, go through your progressions and then if nothing's there, take off where before it was all right, first reason not there, I'm taking off because this is what I'm going to rely on my athletic ability. We really saw him grow in the last two years when it comes to that and the thing about him, we talked about him being competitive. There were rumors like when he first got there and when Norvale first got there, that he wasn't going to be the guy. Right he was in the competition, he was starting, and he wasn't starting. But you love the attitude did not transfer right to stick it out, fight through adversity and lay it on the line for your brothers and your teammates and continue to grow. I think too many times in today's society, guys, if they don't get their way, they're willing to just quit or go somewhere else in the transfer portal. I think there's something to be said for Jordan Travis for sticking it out when he got to Florida, when maybe Mike Norvel didn't always believe in him in the beginning. He earned that trust and he earned the trust of his teammates. And then when you hear people talk about him, I think I talked to Jermaine about him just glowing reviews. They love this kid, They love what his makeup is, they love what he's all about. So I think from that standpoint, he fits in perfectly with the just and what they're trying to build rite the attitude that he plays with, right, the type of player he is, and the human being that he is. Right. So he's been tested, he's been through adversity, he's come out on the other side, and like I said, he who better to learn from than Aaron Rodgers and Tyrod Taylor is you're trying to develop in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a great situation for him. So let's go to the sixth round quants as stakes. First off, did you know that you could actually draft Canadian Football League players? I thought the guy was going to be a free agent.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I didn't know that until this year when he was in the West game and my guy turn out to my guy, Imrie Hunt, he put me on to him. He was like yo, he was like, dudes, you got to watch this kid from the CFL. He was like, he's different, He's ready. And when I got on that tape from the East West game, I was like, Oho, old stick Oh, Quanta Stickers can play some football. I mean, we'll probably talk about his story in a little bit, but just a football player alone. EA, when you can play in Canada, you can play in the NFL because you got to understand the fields. Bigger those receivers get a running start coming at you. So Stickers has proven he can play and man, he can play off man and I think, honestly, the Jets might even try him at safety. EA. I think that, Yeah, where's the transition. Yeah, I think on this team that'll be a transition for him. The thing is, we talked about his EA like, corner was a sneaky need for this team. So could they potentially keep him at corner because let's not forget three of our top four corners are going to be free agents next year. When you talk about Brandon Neckles, talk about DJ Reid, you talk about Michael Carter the second which hopefully one of those guys get an extension before the season starts, because you would like to have some continuity coming back in that unit because it's one of the best units in all of football.
Speaker 1: Well, Carter's extension eligible after next season too, right, He's able to get a new.
Speaker 2: Deal as well, so decisions are going to have to be made. So that's why when me and you were talking, I was like, corner on a low is a sneaky need for this team. So I could see where they maybe try him at safety this year and then put him back at corner, or they cross training where you know a lot of guys do that where they play corner and safety, just because you know you only go into the game with three safety sometimes and somebody goes down, somebody got to be able to come in and play. I think he'll be that guy that's the cross guy that plays corner in safety for the Jets, just because he has experienced playing both.
Speaker 1: Quanta, you were a guy who was undrafted. You tweeted about Day three and how much you liked those stories stiggers. This story's wild.
Speaker 2: Man, amazing staging, amazing story. It's like for a guy who was supposed to go to Land College coming out his dad unfortunately passed. He wanted to help his mom out started delivering food as a food service delivery guy. I believe, Hea, it's either he has thirteen siblings or he's one of thirteen siblings and wanted to help out his mom. But this is how you know, like his family, his mom is special because she knew what his dream was, right. She signs him up for fan Control football, which was a new thing at the time. Yeah, right, just so he could play football. And he goes out there and I believe has five and five or six interceptions. Thea one scout from the CFL gets his tape and they're able to see his tape and they sign him. Not only does he go to Canada, EA, he becomes Rookie of the Year and has five inners. You talk about a crazy story and like a story of determination and not giving up on your dream even though you've been through so many, so much adversity and obstacles, but to have the staying power to continue to fight for what you want, like you root for guys like quantest stickers, like you're praying that he does well, because most people would have quit, literally, most people would have quit. They would have been like, you know, why is this always happening to me? But that never happened with this kid. He stayed to it, kept his head down, kept working, had his family love and support, and look where he's at now in the NFL and didn't play college football.
Speaker 1: Just to echo your sentiments there, the Jets clearly loved him. You watch those phone calls on draft weekends throughout the day Football League so.
Speaker 2: Fun teers in my damn eyes.
Speaker 1: Jeff Ulbrick gets on the line, he's in tears. He's a Jets defensive coordinator. Later it's past to to and to so beloved Tony and the cornerbacks coach here and Bobby BISTROTI that had a.
Speaker 2: Security you know, that's my guy, man. And when Bobby got on the phone and almost lost it, that's when I lost it. Yeah, That's when I lost it. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, So bring people on the inside, man, you worked there, you've worked here. What kind of figure is Bobby inside? This organized? For fans who just watching that clip.
Speaker 2: Oh, Bobby's the guy. If you don't know, Bobby's our head security guy. Bobby has been putting it down for years. He was there when he was there before I was a player. He was there, well I was a player, he was there as I came in as a broadcaster. He's my guy, and Bobby means a lot to me. Me and Bobby have a really good relationship. And for your security guy and Bobby, I think said he only spent like fifteen minutes with him in the meeting when he came on a visit, and like it was such an impactful meeting that you rarely see the security guy get on the phone on draft day when somebody makes calls. That lets you know what type of guy contest Stickers is. When Bobby was like, coach, I need to talk to this kid, Like everybody in that room wanted to talk to this kid. That lets you know how special he truly is. And I'm so glad he's with the Jets because again, the adversity and things that he went through. It's a common theme, right, we just talked about Jordan Travis. Now he didn't go through what Stickers went through, obviously, but he did injury wise, and he did, you know, mental wise as far as maybe having some self doubt at times when he was in college. The Jets wanted to get guys that were mentally strong, and I love that if you can be mentally strong, the physical is nothing. Ea, like we're all physically gifted. It's the mental that usually separates where the guys last in the NFL or not.
Speaker 1: Full disclosure, Bobby's one of my closest friends. We shared an office together way back in the Hofstra days.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, oh yeah, so we go always back. I mean listen, Yeah, that was a great moment. It's a cool moment. And I also was quite pleased to see Michael Carter the second was one of the first guys on social media to say be pumped up about the move because he trains with stickers. So that's a cool connection already.
Speaker 2: That's amazing.
Speaker 1: Right, So let's go to mister irrelevant, mister Key from Alabama. What what should we know about him? And also how does he potentially try to make this roster?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Jalen Keys rode to the roster. It's probably going to be on special team. Now he does have the opportunities more of the in the box guy. I think he does have an opportunity to if he develops really well, ea potentially pushed to be a third safety on this team. Again, Chuck Clark's coming off of a major injury. You would think he's going to be healthy because it happened so early during the training cramp process. Ashton Davis comes back. Tony Adams is in that building, so too, had too and the rest of the staff. Jeff Auberg, they had glowing reviews about him as well. So this is a player like again, I think they even said it on Twitter, like, even though you're the last pick, you're the most important pick, You're not mystery irrelevant to us, right, So, like, this is a player that you know in past years, mystery relevant has had a hard time making the you know, besides brock Perty, usually that last pick in the draft has struggled to make the team. A lot of times the guy makes either practice squad or doesn't make the roster. I remember Grant Stewart from Tampa Bay. He made the team too. He was a special team's ace for the Bucks that I think he got traded to the Patriots. If I'm not mistaken, so like it's it's usually a hard road for mister Relevant, but I think this kid actually has a real chance. It's gonna start in special teams though for him to actually make the team.
Speaker 1: Man, a lot of cool stories for the Jets this draft. I think fans are really going to gravitate towards Malchai Corley, Jordan Travis in Quantiz Stiggers. I mean, it's just the backstories of what they had to do to get to the spot. But all in all, it all starts with Olu Fashionu.
Speaker 2: So it does. But before we get out of there, i't' about to get here, Cya. I want to talk about some undrafted free agents. Come on, man, you can't have me in here as an undrafted free agent and think we're not going to talk about some undrafted free agentcy.
Speaker 1: Okay, officially, listen, the podcast is going out before these guys actually signed. So I got a preface by saying it looks like the Jets have agreed to terms with a number of guys. Nothing is official until they signed.
Speaker 2: Go ahead, the floors, two guys, two guys, and of course I'm going to the D line. We'll start with Leonard Taylor, and then I'll talk about my favorite tign together Jets after that. Leonard Taylor, guy that a lot of people had going in like the fourth or fifth round. His twenty twenty two tape was a lot better. Was a guy that could give you some of that interior pass rush. I thought this year he kind of played out of position. Sometimes they had him over the center, and he played with high pad level as well, which I think really hurt him in his development. But for a guy that a lot of people had maybe going in the fourth, fifth, sixth round, I had the more than a sixth round guy. I think that's great value to get him in as he undrafted free agent. But my favorite potential, again, like you said, because these signings haven't become official yet, my favorite potential signing for the Jets is Braden McGregor out of Michigan. I mean, the Justs just lost John Franklin Myers in the trade to the Denver Broncos. Brandan McGregor has a similar game to John Franklin Monins. He's a guy that a lot of people kind of didn't know where he would pinch Lynn at because he's a big defensive end. He's like two seventy two seventy five. But he also showed in that game versus Alabama he can rush inside. He had two sacks in that game. So that's why I say the comparison to John Franklin Myers, who who is a one of probably the best run edge guy we had on our team. But he also brought that grittiness right. He was the unsung hero of the defense. He was able to slide and slide and rush on third down. I think Braden McGregor gives you some of that as well. So honestly, I had him as a fourth round pick, so I was surprised he didn't get drafted. That's that's a major for the just to get him.
Speaker 1: So we're circling McGregor. You think he's got a real chance here.
Speaker 2: I think he has a chance to make the team. Yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: You just talked about it, the thoughts on John frank Lamyer's being sent to Denver, and did you feel this was inevitable after the Jets acquired his son Reddick.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I hated it, but I kind of knew. I actually taught to JF and when it happened, okay, and you know, I told him, you know, because that's my guy. If anybody knows, that's my guy. So I was just like, this is the part of the business that I hate. Right, We kind of knew that something was going to happen. This was going to come down the pike, just because you know, Jermaine had an extension right pro Bowl player, so you would think he's going to start. You trade for a son Reddick, He's starting, right. It's different than like when he played in Philly because they kind of ran a hybrid three four where the Jets predominantly run a four to three.
Speaker 1: Right, really quickly estimate this from me. I'm cutting you off here. Reddick played seventy four percent of snaps each of the last two seasons Philadelphia. You think that probably goes down a little bit here the way?
Speaker 2: No, you still, yeah, I know the way that Jets play, but I just know how Hassan Reddick is. He's not gonna be one that's gonna want to come off the field, okay, right.
Speaker 1: So like so with that being said, that even makes it more clear why je.
Speaker 2: And I think that was part not just the money, but I think that was part of it as well. Like a son Reddick is a guy that usually doesn't miss games or miss snaps, so he's on the field, like you said, seventy four percent of the time. And then also you saw the extension, the ascension of Jermaine, you would think his you know, play time would go up as well this year as well. So like he caught us all the writing on the wall, wish him nothing but the best. Again, that's my guy, So I told him, this is the part of the business that I hate. And I know this coaching staff didn't want to make that move, but you know, with the cap and everything else, and then some of the things that we just stated about how Hassan Redick doesn't come off the field, you kind of knew this was, I mean, down the.
Speaker 1: Pipe thirty seconds. What's the counter on the edge as far as now teams are going to try to attack you without JFM there as far as running football.
Speaker 2: Correct, So I mean, Jermaine was already a really good run stopping defensive end. So I mean and asn Reddick is under the radar, really good guy steadying me edge right and forcing the ball back inside. So I think Michael Clemens is going to have to step up this year. Also, we took another guy in the first round and Will. Will's going to have to have a big year as well. And I think this coaching staff is looking at Jermaine and saw how he was able to develop and have a really good second year. They're hoping that Will does the same thing this year as well. So I think Braden McGregor could be a sleeper too in regards to that as well. He's a guy I think Jet fans should keep their eye on.
Speaker 1: Well man, I've had a blast with our draft coverage.
Speaker 2: Sure, it's been great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean you set us up well prior to the draft and now you're taking us home after draft weekend. What do you think five years down the line, how is this class going to be remembered.
Speaker 2: I'm stilling Carolina this earlier today. I think when you look at Olu and my comment for him was a guy that man on the left side for the Jets for a long time and never missed any time and the Brigershoff Ferguson, I think he him alone will make this a really good draft class, right because I think he is going to be the Jets left tackle by his skill set for the next ten to fifteen years. I honestly do believe that. I think he's that good, right, I think he could be that special. So when you look at this draft class, it's all going to be about what the first round pick is right now. The other guys are important as well, and I think Stickers has a chance to stick around. I think Corley, if he keeps developing with his ROUNDE running, has a chance to stick around as well. But it's all going to be started with Olu Fashionu and his development at left tackle.
Speaker 1: Love it, brother, you have a good day and get some rust.
Speaker 2: Appreciate it. Yeah, h