Speaker 1: The rivalries, the marching bands, the upsets. Saturday's just got way more fun. College football is back. Think you know the game. Put your college football knowledge to the test with Draft Kings Sportsbook and turn your picks into big payoffs. From live betting during the game to ribery week odds, boosts, and so much more. Draft Kings sports Books have everything you need to stay in on the action from kickoff to final whistle, whether you're betting your go to team or making moves mid game as momentum shifts. Saturdays are yours to own with Draft Kings Sportsbook. Here's something special for you first timers. New customers. Bet five dollars and get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly. Download the Draft King Sportsbook app. Use Coach Shannon. That's Coach Shannon for new customers to get two hundred dollars in bonus bets instantly when you bet just five bucks in partnership with Draft King Sports Book.
Speaker 2: The crown is yours.
Speaker 1: Hell On, ladies and gentlemen, and thank you for you us for another episode of Nightcap.
Speaker 2: Y'all know me, I'm your favorite. Unc.
Speaker 1: Jannah Sharp, my partner and co host is having technical difficulties. Hopefully we can get him connected. If not, it's going to be you and I tonight. But hopefully we can get him connected here in the next few minutes and get everything going. But he is having technical difficulties. We are trying to get him connected as we speak, but hopefully we'll get an opportunity to talk too, and Oho will be able to chime in in just a little bit. Please make sure y'all hit that subscribe button. Please make sure you hit the like button. Guys, do us a favor. Go subscribe to the Nightcap podcast feed wherever you get your podcast from. We like to thank each and every one of you for your support and you'll continued support because without you, Nightcap doesn't exist. We're not as popular as we are. It's all because of you, and we can't thank you enough. My Kangyak Laportier has a new drop, and this one's personal. I've created a limited edition release to honor my brother sterling induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. It's not just a bottle, it's a tribute. It's a seller ration of a legacy. And once they're gone, they're gone. The Hall of Fame edition is officially live. Just head over to Laportierkangnak dot com to grab yours while.
Speaker 2: You still can.
Speaker 1: Don't miss a chance to own a piece of history and a very very special moment.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, please go.
Speaker 1: Follow my media company page on all of his platforms. That's Shayshay Media and my clothing Company eighty four with eighty four being spelled out. That link is also pinned in the chat Okay, what was we suspected all along? Kevin Stefanski said he was going to name a starter today and he did, and just like Ocho and I surmise it's Joe Flacco. The forty old were making his first Week one start since twenty twenty two when he's with the Jets TBD. On the rest of the depth chart, Kenny Pickett has not played since he tweaked that hamstring. Dylan Gabriel got the start on Saturday. Shador did not play because of a knee oblique injury. He started the first regularly Precs and Tyler Snoop Huntley is also on the list. Adam Shefter said this morning, I expect the Cleveland Browns to carry four quarterbacks on the fifty three man roster. Wow, that's that doesn't normally happen. It's just I think they're afraid that if they let one of these guys go, somebody's gonna snatch them up. You'd probably like to probably you know, cut them and then have them come back on the practice squad, but they.
Speaker 2: Don't feel they can do that.
Speaker 1: They feel that if they were to release Gabriel, excuse me, release Dylan Gabriel or Shador Sanders, somebody would sign them to their active roster.
Speaker 2: And you don't want to run that risk.
Speaker 1: Guy that's been in your program for the better part of six months little up April, since April, since the draft, So you don't want to run that risk.
Speaker 2: Excuse me, guys.
Speaker 1: But I don't think any of us are surprised that Joe Flacco got named the starter.
Speaker 2: He didn't play, but Stefanski did.
Speaker 1: The head coach, Kevin Stefanski did say they're gonna treat this as a dress rehearsal of what they might do in Week one. So Joe Flacco is going to get the start for the final preseason game and we'll see how that works out.
Speaker 2: But I don't think we're surprised.
Speaker 1: I don't think any of your surprised that Joe Flacco was named the starter.
Speaker 2: You look at Kenny Pickett. He has not been able to do.
Speaker 1: Anything any team drills since he tweaked that champ string early early in training camp. Obviously, Dylan Gabriel was nick the first, you know, for about ten eleven days.
Speaker 2: Then he came back.
Speaker 1: Shadure played really well the first game, then he got an oblique injury. He was out, and then Dylan Gabriel took it over, and then he played played fairly well. I mean he had a pick, but I don't think either God did anything since I mean, look, you are where you are. I mean, some people say, well, Dylan Gabriel has played better. I haven't heard anybody say that, but some people like Dylan Gabriel and think what he brings to the table. I was listening to somebody to day say Dylan Gabriel, though has a stronger arm, throws were better anticipation. I don't know if I necessarily agree with that or believe that it's gonna be a very tough decision, but in order for them to carry for quarterbacks, that means they're not really sure and they don't want to make the mistake. Nobody wants to make the mistake and get up, get off one of these quarterbacks, have him go somewhere else and play really, really well when we had him in our fold. So that's what I deduce from that. Cleveland put themselves in a buying by, you know, signing Joe Flacco to a one year I think they traded for Kenny Pickett and then selecting two quarterbacks one and the third one in the fifth And you find yourself in a situation because none of these quarterbacks really have separated themselves from the rest of the guys. Pickett didn't really get a chance to separate himself because he's been injured for the better part of training camp. And so I don't know does he start I don't think he started on pup. How he progressing?
Speaker 2: Ash?
Speaker 1: Do we know anything about how he's progressing resting to see I don't think you put him on pup. Because you put him on pupp he's gonna put him down for six weeks. I don't think it's gonna take that much length of time. He'd be out almost three months with a hamstring injury.
Speaker 2: Wow, So we're coming up on a month.
Speaker 1: Funny that you say that, because Justin Jefferson just returned to practice and he was out for twenty five days. We're gonna talk about that in a little bit. But these hamstrings are very, very tricky. You want to air on the side of caution. The last thing you want to do is miss that amount of time, come back and tweak it again, because you're probably gonna double the amount of time that you're gonna miss moving forward. So, Cleveland Brown's name Joe Flacco as their starting quarterback. They did not give a depth chart after Joe Flacco. Normally it was Kenny Pickett two, Dylan gabral three, and Shudur Sanders four. But I guess that's in the In the next couple of days, we'll find out. We'll see how healthy Shudur is is. That oblique healed well enough for him to get some action in game in the final preseason game.
Speaker 2: We'll see.
Speaker 1: But Joe Flacco name started for the Cleveland Browns to start the twenty twenty five season. Titans quarterback cam Ward got into a scuffle with DT Jeffrey Simmons and camp. Cam Ward and defensive Linean Jeffery Simmons got into a scuffle on Monday. War threw a touchdown pass to Calvin Ridley towards the end of practice and went over to celebrate. The rookie quarterback stop gave Simmons a shove before doing the trademark Zombie Land celebration in front of him. Simmons reacted with a two hand shove towards face mask. The offensive lineman came running to help towards defense. I think we kind of had a conversation. We kind of had a conversation about this a couple of days ago. I wish o Cho's a connection would get fixed, because this is what I want. I wanted to ask him. I think both guys need to be smarter in a situation like this. That's your starting quarterback. You're only gonna go as far as he takes your difference. Uh So, you look, you don't want to do anything to hurt that guy. He's the number one overall draft pick and all your hopes and aspirations are pinned on his shoulder. Now, Cam, that's your teammate, you know, I mean, come on and been along dad practice. They said this happened towards the end of practice and anytime like that. You know, guys are frustrated. I didn't want to I didn't want you to score, but yeah, you stopping my stopping celebrating my face. Yet I'm not feeling too I'm not feeling too well. That that might be the direction that you get. But normally teammates, I couldn't imagine, to be honest with you, have John celebrated, Yeah, absolutely, But I couldn't imagine an offensive lineman, I mean, excuse me, a defensive lineman doing something like that to seven. I don't remember being on a team where a defensive player would do that to the quarterback, understanding how important the quarterback is to the team's success, especially the starting quarterback. Maybe the second or third team something like that, but the starting quarterback, Nah, I haven't. I can honestly say, in my fourteen years, I've never been in a situation where I've seen something quite like what's being reported coming out of Tennessee where the quarterback throws a touchdown pass late in the ball game, he shoves Jeffery Simmons. I don't know why he shoved Jeffery Simmons, but if you shove one guy you should probably expect to shove back. I'm just surprised that he shoved Simmons to begin with. Maybe I shouldn't be as surprised that Simmons shoved him back, because at that point in time, I'm not looking at you as a quarterback. I'm looking at somebody that shoved me, and I'm gonna shove you back. Shop glad he'd know nobody got injured. The offensive lineman did what they were supposed to do. Run to cam Ward's defense. That's what's supposed to happen. Somebody attacks your quarterback, you come hell of high water. You defend that guy. Right, wrong or indifferent, You defend your quarterback. We'll address it and we'll figure it out later. Hey, man, don't do that day. You're too valuable. Don't get into you know, no shoving matches. Don't say anything to those guys. Let them do all that talking. We don't have to worry about that. But I haven't. I can honestly say I haven't. I've never seen a situation in my years of being around football. When I was at Denver, when I was at Baltimore, when I went back to Denver, I don't remember that happened in the high school. They don't remember it happened in college. Not to say that it haven't happened. I haven't been around, and I haven't seen every situation that arises on a practice field or in a locker room. But I like to speak to the things that I've seen, and I can speak clearly and intelligent on it. But this must have been something that was brewing for a significant time and emotions ran high, and I guess cam Ward shoves Jeffery Simmons. Jeffery Simmons like, I don't know who you think you are. I understand you to starting quarterback. You're the first overall pick. But now I'm going to throw that out the wind and shove you in the face. So hopefully nobody got injured, glad no punches. Hopefully no punches were thrown. Nobody damaged the hand of a rest or, a fist or any of that finger, anything like that, and they're gonna be good to go for the final preseason game Friday, Saturday or whenever these guys play and then have. Hopefully everybody goes into the season healthy and with no lingering injuries.
Speaker 2: But who, I guess. We live in a different a different time now.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Johnson recalls not letting the Cowboys eat on a plane after loss on the next in this Netflix show. The former Dallas Cowboy head coach revealed during a clip in next Netflix America's team The Gambler and His Cowboys that he once prevented the team from eating on a eating a meal on a flight home following a loss. After that loss, we got on the plane. I'm just fuming because the way we played. So the flight of tenant start to serve and I say, no, no meal. They don't deserve to eat. I wanted to be Nazi. I wanted to be nauseated, to be sick to this stubmach when they lose, because that's how I felt. Is this what's been missing from the Cowboys today? A leader that wants to so badly that he'll take your food away. That's not uncommon. Dan reeves that happened to us. We lost the ball game and he took lunch away, Like I ain't paying for y'all to eat. Y'all hungry, y'all go get your own damn food. So it's never happened on a plane. And man, you got to realize, like when you go to get on that plane, because you haven't probably eaten since pregame and according to when the game was so you know you played the early you played the early game. You played at one o'clock East Coach time, and you get on a plane to fly back home. You haven't eaten probably since ten o'clock, ten point thirty at the Absolute Ladies for a one o'clock game. And then by the time you get on, by the time you get because they give you an hour after the game, you got an hour to basically get from the field to the locker room, get showered, do your interviews, get to the bus bus, get to the airport, go on the tarmac, you get off. Normally that takes about a hour, about sixty seventy minutes, So think about how long that's being.
Speaker 2: Now you're on a plane.
Speaker 1: Now I don't know where, doubt where they were coming back from to get the Dallas. Let's just say it's New York and you haven't eaten till ten since ten that's a long time. And now you understand why the cowboys were how they were. Jimmy trim the fat. There was no excess fat in the with the Dallas Cowboys when Jimmy played. And you see, now, if a coach probably tried to do that now Jerry said, Noah, let him eat and then guess what team's gonna eat. But that bat whoo, that's the old school coaching. I don't know. I don't even know if that'll fly now. Chat y'all think that would fly now. I don't think that was fly now, man. I think the players would lose their damn minds if a coach said, naw, we're not finna eat. Nobody's gonna eat on the plane home. Sh That's that's old school coaching. That's that's the way they did it in the problem in the seventies, eighties, and nineties. Like I said, not on the playing, but lunch it happened, and you made sure if you lost the game, you gave better effort. Because I think the thing is what Jimmy said. I wouldn't happy with the Yeah, we lost it. I'm ticked off that we lost the game, but I didn't like the effort that we gave in losing the game, because.
Speaker 2: You know you're not gonna win every game.
Speaker 1: But sometimes the effort you saw yesterday, the Bills lost what thirty eight nothing, and you see McDermott had a problem. He was upset with them. So it's tough. It's tough. There's an expectation that when you play, especially when you got the Cowboys. You're talking about EMMT, You're talking about Troy, You're talking about Michael Irvin and Charles Haley.
Speaker 2: I mean, they were all those Hall of famers.
Speaker 1: There's an expectation that when you take that field, you can win this game. And even if you don't win, how you play is as important. And Jimmy clearly clearly, but this is Jimmy Johnson. Like I said, there is no excess fat. Jimmy Johnson is your head coach. Be at Oklahoma State, be at Miami, be at a Dallas, Miami. Hey, you gotta get it, you gotta get it. Jimmy Johnson gonna get it at you. Whatever you got in, Jimmy's gonna get it at you. So I'm not surprised that he said this. I'm not surprised because you know, talking to some of the guys, they they they's like, hey, Jimmy, Jimmy, crack the whip. Jimmy was not a guy Jimmy did not be s Jimmy was hardcore. You know what to expect that a lot of guy look as long as I know what to expect, I'm cool. You go to it's probably a little different if you never had a coach like that.
Speaker 2: I mean, that's all Emmitt knew.
Speaker 1: That's a lot what a lot of these guys knew, So it probably wasn't a big thing. It would probably be different if you've been somewhere else and it's not not even close to that for six seven years, and then you come to that. Like I said, it's always easier to be tough and lighting up as opposed the light and then try to tough en up because guys look at you a certain way. Having Dan Reason as my coach, an old school guy that learned cut his teeth under Tom Landry, practices were hard, Training camp was hard. So I know anyone that I got after Coach Reids was gonna be a piece of cake. Ain't no way training camp and practices and could be any more difficult than what I had already had gone through for three years. But I'm not surprised by that. I'm gonna make sure I watch this because I want to see. You know, you've heard a little bit of the stories, but to hear Emmitt and hear you know, obviously talking to Emmitt and we came out together in nineteen not in the play Maker and our good friends, but to hear Jimmy from his own mouth, to hear Troy and hear some of the other guys talk about it. Coach Prime is in it. To hear some of these guys talk about it, that's gonna be. I think it's gonna be very, very good. And it explains to you why the Cowboys had the success that they had in the early nineties, especially under Jimmy. They had had a down year in ninety four, they didn't have a down year that went to the NFC Championship Game, and then they bounced back in ninety five when they get Coach Gift time to come home from San Francisco. They win the Super Bowl in ninety five, and it's kind of been hadn't been back to a championship game since they went to the Super Bowl and won it ninety five season ninety six, So we're approaching thirty years in which the Cowboys have not went gone. Whatever terminology you want to use to an NFC championship game.
Speaker 2: That's a long time.
Speaker 1: When you talk about America's team, and when you talk about some of the better players that they've assembled on that team, you look at the All pros, you look at the Pro Bowl players that they consistently have year in and year out, there's no excuse for why the Cowboys haven't gone to an NFC championship game, at least multiple considering some of the teams that have gone into an NFC championship game. So I think a lot of you guys are Cowboy fans or Cowboys haters. Want to see why the Cowboys were so successful in the early nineties, and I think watching this will give you a glimpse into why how he practiced, how they met. Hopefully they tell the story about the guy that Jimmy I know. I'm sure they are going to tell the story about Jimmy cut a guy that fell asleep in the meeting, and well, he cut one guy because he fumbled the football last game of the season. They so they cut him, and then they cut another guy they cut because he fell asleep in the meeting, and a reporter asked him to ask him if that was Troy that had fallen asleep in the meeting when he cut him, he said, no, how to woke him up? Just goes to show you treat everybody fair. But if you don't treat everybody the same, that's Jimmy. Coach Prime sets his punishment for any player that hits the quarterback. For the players who violate the rule, consequences range from up down, stadium runs, etc. This is definitely an old school way of disciplined players. But do you think this style of punishment can work in the nil era where guys may transfer from one updown wo Yeah, I don't know if this style of punishment worked because I think some guys are already looking. You can't even really coach a kid. Now you're coach a kid hard. He'll jump into transfer portal. Somebody offer him fifty dollars more than what you're paying him, and you ticked him off of he didn't get as many reps as he thought, he didn't get as many targets as he thought, he didn't play as many plays as he thought.
Speaker 2: They jump into portal. Now, this is this is real business.
Speaker 1: This is like like a real job, Like I'm on a job and I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't.
Speaker 1: I don't like my boss. I quit and go find me another job. Leave you high and dry. And that's that's just the era that we're living living in.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: You know what coach Prime is, He's trying to get his point across. The last thing that you want to do is hurt is have your players hurt one another. I'm glad to see a technical technical difficulty. Guy is jodious?
Speaker 2: You got us? Yoke?
Speaker 4: Yeah, boy, I'm sick of the motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Can't you get me? Yeah? I got you? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, about about I buy them boys and that.
Speaker 2: But y'all defense steel some trash.
Speaker 4: Wait a minute, Wait a minute, now, let's let's let's let's not do that. Let's not do that.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: We look we look very bad on the first two drive that the commanders had the ball they took they started out, but we looked better, we looked better from that point on.
Speaker 4: Let's be optimistic. Let's be optimistic about the situation.
Speaker 2: Joe, did you see how did you see how they ran down the field? O? Yo?
Speaker 6: Yeah, Like I can tell you who blew the assignment. I can tell you who the simon, who the mic backer straight over the top underneath you knowing you can't get the underneath and all.
Speaker 2: That to shoot the gap, to pull the ray Lewis older.
Speaker 7: What are we doing?
Speaker 2: What are we doing? And they did it twice, hit it twice.
Speaker 4: And the guy bounced right outside and he gone.
Speaker 2: We had a conversation last night.
Speaker 1: I said, Oho, I want to see their backs and it'll give us a better understanding why Brian Robinson Jr. Is on the trade block. Well, we see why he's on the trade block. We saw those two backs from Washington. Now it makes it. I don't know how much you could speak for yourself, but it makes a lot of a ton of sense to me.
Speaker 5: It does make sense. But obviously Brian Robinson, we've seen what he can do. And I just saw some reporters obviously doing my little homework, talking about he runs a little bit timid, not hitting the hole and just stuff like that.
Speaker 4: I'm not sure if the injury history.
Speaker 5: Is probably a cause of that, but obviously they like the young bulls, especially Bill.
Speaker 4: He doesn't want to be called Jacob.
Speaker 8: The name is Bill, Bill, Bill hold On, Yeah, Rodriguez, No, the other one, the other one, oh Cosky, because what's his full name?
Speaker 2: The one that that Jane Daniels got the ball back for.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, sir, yes, okay. See say you want to be called Bill, I'm a calling Bill.
Speaker 2: Okay, Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean thirty rusher temps Oho for one hundred and eighty five yards and two touchdowns.
Speaker 2: I mean you look at it.
Speaker 1: The two top guys, seventeen rushers between the two of them for one hundred and eight yards, and y'all gonna look Lovu. Everybody in the stadium, everybody at home knew the Bengals were not gonna snap that ball at the thirty eight yard line on fourth and three except you. Yeah, and you jumped off sides. Everybody nobody when they start doing all that motion, when they bring the guy outside, they bring him to the backfield, then they spend him out there. They're not running, no play bro. They're trying to get you to jump off sides. And you did it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I get Ojo, We get Newing the Eagles last year, remember on the gold line, and he jumped off sides like five times, four or five times.
Speaker 2: In a row.
Speaker 1: And the officials say that, you know, if you keep doing this, we're just gonna award them to score. I get Okay, fine, they're gonna fusch, they gonna score anyway. But in a situation like this, these kind of players to get your beat because guess what. Guess what happened, O Joe? Didn't it go right down the field of score touchdown?
Speaker 4: Yes we did, Yes we did.
Speaker 5: I want to talk about how good offense look except that second series, the second that second series with Joe Brow and the number two's.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't know why he did that, Joe, Joe, No better.
Speaker 4: You pull back all all the running and scram in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, throw that bag away, Joe, because you don't want to take any unnecessary here punishment. Yeah, and then he got bailed out again because o'brown got beat and why just happened to horse call him. They're gonna have to do a better job of protecting Joe. But O Joe, your offense has to look good because that's where all your money is. So wherever your money is, that's the side of the that's the side of the football you're really gonna have to win on.
Speaker 2: Most definitely, most definitely.
Speaker 1: I mean, look at the Broncs when we played in the nineties. GV myself, John Sam Rod yeah, so that's where the money was. So that's where we had to be. That's where we that's where we had to be.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought your offense, you know, Joe was I mean Joe was what nine or fourteen sixty two yards? Jake Brownie came in. But Jake Browning, you know, he plays well when when asked and given the opportunity. Oh, Joe, he plays well. Sixteen to twenty five fine, two touchdowns. Densmon Rider came in there through one pass, he was won on one for seven yards.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 1: And they were going down the field again, and then Josh Johnson threw a horble interception.
Speaker 4: Yeah, old j oh, Josh, Well that's my DoD there.
Speaker 9: Man.
Speaker 2: Good see Josh.
Speaker 4: Good to see Josh still like the man working and working and working like.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, hey he I mean, hey, he don't collect. He collected his own jerseys. Hey, he ain't got no other player. He ain't got no other player on Jersey. Know you trade jersey, jo, Hey, I just collect my own. He got by fourteen.
Speaker 5: I think he's uh, he's been on sixteen of the thirty two team.
Speaker 4: Sixteen to the thirty.
Speaker 1: Two damop Yeah, oh yeah, I like it so hey, So if he ever wre to coach, he knows somebody, somebody somewhere.
Speaker 5: Absolutely absolutely and listen, when you played, when you played that long at that position, they will definitely give you a job.
Speaker 2: Is he signing? Who's that? Who's that? Our special guest? You ain't? You ain't tell me? I thought that sent it to you. Here is Ladies and Gentlemen.
Speaker 1: He's a generational talent and a revere voice in the modern hip hop. He announced tour dates Dark Or Tour in twenty five city headlining run kicks off October sixteenth in Boston. The tour comes off as an announcement as this hot highly anticipated new project Lonely at the Top that's out August twenty ninth. Areas Ladies and Gentlemen, Joey badass Joy, what do you do.
Speaker 2: Man? I'm doing good? How you doing?
Speaker 7: Man?
Speaker 9: I gotta say, like, y'all, y'all really shoot the show this slave?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Yeah, let me ask y'all y'all in l.
Speaker 9: A huh nah, I'm in Miami. I'm in Miami and Miami. Okay, you see Miami. You know that's that's the night life right there.
Speaker 4: Joe Joe, I don't. I don't do the night life. I don't do the night life.
Speaker 5: So I take a nap during the day so I'm able to get up, you know, to be able.
Speaker 9: To do the show, saying you see, you, see you, you understand the program.
Speaker 3: I don't understand the program. So I'm I'm over here fighting sleep.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yo, well, but you in that green room, I mean like you're developing pictures or something like.
Speaker 3: You were with my studio room right here.
Speaker 9: It's like, you know, part of my ceilings right like I had a little a little leak, but are you all good? But check it out. I never fixed it because I was, you know, I like that. It kind of reminds me of like the old days.
Speaker 2: You know what.
Speaker 3: Yeah, keep it a great I keep it I keep it wrong, keep it wrong.
Speaker 1: Tell us a little bit about the album.
Speaker 9: So yeah, Lonely at the top. It's out August twenty nine. You know, this project is it was made in a short amount of time. I want to say, this is probably like the fastest I've made a body of work. You know, I made a lot of things transpired for me this year musically, and it was really just kind of pushing my pant, you know what I mean, in a way where it's just like, you know, I'm just kind of eager to get.
Speaker 3: The music out, you know.
Speaker 9: Lonely at the top means to me is like you know, kind of looking at looking around and you being at the top of your success and you're realizing, like, you know, how how much isolation you find it on the other side, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: Like, I'm sure you guys could relate, but like.
Speaker 9: Being on that life journey and you know, you're dealing with things like Survivors Guild and you know you want everybody to come and things like that, but what you find.
Speaker 3: On that other side, you know.
Speaker 9: For for for you to to make it, it's like, you know, sometimes it's a it's an isolating feeling, you know what I'm saying, because you got to you gotta block so many things out to maintain that balance, you know what I mean. So that's kind of like what this collection of music feels like for me. It's kind of like a reflection of where I am today right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you get that a lot, you know, coming from coming from the background, and I'm sure we kind of all come from very similar background. But no matter how big a bus is, no matter how big a plane is, there are x amount of seats and everybody meant to find that flight. Somebody meant to catch the next one. Everybody meant to get on that bus, they meant to catch the next one. And so what we have to do, what's hard sometimes is is figuring out who's supposed to be a passage on our bus. You're supposed to be a passenger own our plane. You know That's that's like you do feel bad because, like you said, you've been around a lot of these people.
Speaker 2: You're damn entire.
Speaker 9: Life, absolute absolute, And you know I got I got. The analogy that I use is like the Aladdins purple carpet. You know what I'm saying, Like if you got a hundred motherfuckers on there with you, like you ain't going nowhere, that's.
Speaker 2: You're going to take off, you barely.
Speaker 9: Levit taking off the ground, you know what I'm saying, Like I'm trying to go to the mountaintop.
Speaker 3: So it's like, you know, I got to keep it light, you know what I mean?
Speaker 5: So I could I could have sinned in everything, Hey Joe, But how do you, How do you balance that?
Speaker 4: How do you balance that?
Speaker 5: Obviously coming from where you come from, most of us have the same background and those that we grew up with. Once we start to send and our respect the craft and whatever it is that we do, a lot of people trying to go along with us.
Speaker 4: They complain or you hating. You ain't real no more.
Speaker 5: You're not taking me on this journey that you health has been working to do. So how have you been able to navigate with those? When you have a when you have an album coming out is longly at the top. But those that feel that they deserve to go well along with you?
Speaker 9: Well, you know, if I'm being completely honest and completely transparent, I think that I am still on the journey of learning how to balance that. You know what I'm saying. I think it is a matter of continuing to find that balance, you know what I'm saying, Like, you know, different things do what I think the strongest thing is putting God first, you know, like that is my grounding factor right there. It's like, you know, remembering God as often as I can on the daily and you know, remembering that this journey is it's a predestined path. If you will, you know what I mean. And it's just like I am doing what I can at each given point in this journey, applying the wisdom that I can to make the best moves.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: You know, sometimes you might look like, yo, could I have done that better? But you know what, that's part of the growth as well, you know what I'm saying. That's that's part of like reflection and all that. It is part of it for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you're one of those old like now, I don't know how many true lyricists that we have when I you know, and I hate hate not enough. It's not enough, that's my point, because it used to be. You know, you had the k r as One, you had to you had Kine, you had rock Him, you had LLL, you had Slick Rick, you had the Scar Facers, you.
Speaker 2: Had the guys that was that was literally on point.
Speaker 1: And now you know it's different, But you want to take it back because you know a lot of the the the o g lyricis originated Brooklyn the Boogey down Bronx, KRS won all those guys. So absolutely do you feel that's what's missing from hip hop?
Speaker 9: I would say that. First of all, I'll say that I don't like to look at it as I'm taking it back. I like to look at it as like I'm taking it forward because you advancing it. I'm living in this time, you know what I'm saying. And there's a Nina Simone quote that like has always resonated with me. She said, like, you know, music is going to reflect the times. I'm paraphrasing it, but you know something along the lines of that, And you know, I always kind of stay cognizant of that because I think that we are in an interesting time, which is why the musical landscape looks the way that it does, because as a society we are prioritizing certain things and that's coming out and our subcultures, if you will, like especially in music. But if anything, I look at it as a purposeful position to be where I'm at and to represent what I represent, because, like you know, in the world full of just like godless behave, yeah, just vanity and stuff like that.
Speaker 3: You know, I try to keep my balance by.
Speaker 9: Spreading a message when I can, and being purposeful when I can, and upholding a certain level of skill effort into my craft.
Speaker 5: Hey, when you talk about that skill and effort and being able to maintain that balance when it comes to you, you know, to being a lyricist. The sound of music in general from the eighties to the nineties, to the two thousands, obviously to date twenty ten to now, the sound changes every ten years. Has it difficult for you to adjust to what the sound is the time? Or do you just stick to your guns and say, listen, I don't care how what it sounds like right now. I'm going to stick to what I've always done and what's worked for me.
Speaker 9: Do you in all transparency, I've definitely found myself at certain points in my journey, you know, trying to adapt if you will, But like you know, where I'm at now, I think I'm at a space where it's like I no longer necessarily care to adapt. I think what's important to me is being as authentic and true to myself as possible, because I feel like in twenty twenty five, it's like that's the best thing that you can do, Like, you know, with the Internet, Like I think it was a little.
Speaker 3: Bit different back in the day because.
Speaker 9: It was all about like, you know where you was from and things like that.
Speaker 3: But I think the Internet kind of allows for.
Speaker 9: People to be a little bit more expressive and not be so bound by like where they are or where the culture.
Speaker 3: Is, you know what I mean.
Speaker 9: It's like we have you know, people with classic sounds re emerged. Like you said, it's like the game changes every ten years, but it also comes back every twenty you know what I'm saying. History repeats itself in an interesting way. So I think, you know, right now, my focus is definitely just what is my authentic voice at this time?
Speaker 3: What is true to me at this time?
Speaker 9: What do I want to convey how do I want to convey it at this time? And I think that I use that as my guide in light my north star and not like what the landscape of the game is per se. Like there's a small awareness of that obviously, because you got to know the league that you win, you know what I mean. You guys could relate to that, you know what I'm saying. You got to know the playing field or whatever. But for the most part, I play my game, you know.
Speaker 1: But that got that has to be hard because if you do something over and over again, it's like I wish you give us something new, And when you give them something new. I wish they give I wish you go back to the old stuff, because I see that a lot of times guys like, man, I wish you would do something else, and when they do something else, now all of a sudden, man, I like the old stuff. So how does someone evolve if every time they can give you something that you're not used to seeing. It seemed like to me that the only person that they allowed involved was Beyonce, because you went from one genre to a whole new genre, got and got more people and got you know, women wearing cowboy boots and cowboy hats, and they still the concert again. But when when it comes to wrap and other genres, they won't let they won't let that artist get out of that box.
Speaker 9: It's more picture hole. Yeah, yeah, I definitely agree with that. I think you know, you got to do your role in blocking out the noise, okay, because you know what I've learned is that fans are fickle. You know what I'm saying, Like, like what Jay said is like they love you and they hate you and they love you again.
Speaker 3: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: It's like they don't know what you want, what they want so I feel like, as an artist, you always got.
Speaker 3: To be doing for you.
Speaker 9: You know what I'm saying, whatever is true for you at the time, and even if because I'm definitely big and big on that idea of not making the same regurgitated thing and taking risks.
Speaker 3: I enjoy taking.
Speaker 9: Risks, you know what I'm saying, and be an experimental like I enjoy when I play a song for somebody, and somebody it's like that's you like that that that.
Speaker 4: That that okay, yeah, surprise yeah.
Speaker 9: Because it's like, okay, like I did something that you didn't think I could do.
Speaker 2: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 9: It's like I'm breaking the mold that you may have over me in your mind. You know what I'm saying, You didn't know I could. I could go there. But at the same time, it's still me if you will, you know what I mean. But yeah, like I said, just to answer your question in short, though, we gotta do it for you.
Speaker 3: You know. It's funny too, because I was just.
Speaker 9: Kind of having a mental thought and I'm like, damn, like who do I make music for? And I'm like, you know what, Like I really can genuinely say that I make music for me, like I make the music that from my experience, and that like I kind of want to listen to or I want to drive my car to, or I want to feel flaed to, you know what I mean. And then it's like everybody else's kind of secondary. And I know that might feel that might sound a little funny, but that is That was the thought that I had when I made my first body of work, Like there was nobody, there was no audience, there was no fans, it was just me and my four walls, and I'm like, this is dope.
Speaker 3: Like I think this is tight, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So I stay.
Speaker 3: I try to stay as close to that that place.
Speaker 2: Listen.
Speaker 5: As long as you've been in the game and all the work that you've done over the years. I understand the politics that comes into the music industry. It's it's a very very fickle, very very uh dangerous industry from a political standpoint. If there's one author that you would love to work with that you haven't worked with, who would it be?
Speaker 2: I would love to work with Forrell.
Speaker 7: Rules because my phone is about to die telling me I was.
Speaker 9: I was sleep for real, But yeah, Forrell, it's definitely somebody who I've always wanted to work with.
Speaker 7: We've close passed many times, we just haven't been.
Speaker 2: A damn joy. Did you pay your did you pay your light bill?
Speaker 7: All that? Yo?
Speaker 2: Yo? I don't I don't think you heard. I don't think you understand. Like it's bedtime over here. You know what I'm saying? Like lights out? Where you at?
Speaker 4: We live at?
Speaker 7: I'm on the East Coast?
Speaker 4: Okay, okay, well yeah so I'm up in New York.
Speaker 1: Well you at the you you are at the birthplace, the mecca of hip hop. Give me some of your early influences. Who was influential that joy? Like you know what? I want to do that?
Speaker 7: Oh Jay No, Biggie mn dom.
Speaker 9: Uh Park like dang Ja Rue the Damager. I was a big j rud the Damagers?
Speaker 7: Uh?
Speaker 2: Who else?
Speaker 10: Yea even R and B man Ship, a little ship even more new generation, a little bow Wow.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I was a kid in that era.
Speaker 3: So like seeing a little bad Wow do his thing.
Speaker 2: That a lot for me because I was like, oh ship, could I could do that? You know what I mean? Yeah? Yeah? People people, people sleep on my boys. Shad, Shad deserves way on your about was like that. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he had a beauty. He had a nice run. Boy, he had a real nice run. Hey, hey, Joe, you listening about you listened to Battle Rap? Oh yeah, okay, okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, yeah yeah yeah.
Speaker 9: I love I love battle rap, you know what I mean. My man loaded Lux. I just had it back and forth with the Homie Daylight.
Speaker 3: Earlier this year. You know, they like they like.
Speaker 9: Gotti is probably on my top five battle rappers as well, along with the other two names I mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I love the battle rap coaching. Man, Yeah, I love that.
Speaker 1: So what's going on. What's going on with you in the West Coast? What's going on?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 10: Oh we cool, we cool, we we we We had we had a little you know, lyrile cool squabble. But you know it wasn't about nothing. It was just you know, everybody wanting to show that that they the best, right you know.
Speaker 9: So yeah, we got we got down a little bit. It was fun, but it was.
Speaker 2: You guys were still on that type of time. Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, like I mean, listen, it was all in good faith and I'm grateful for that, you know what I mean. I made a statement at the beginning of the year and one of my records, and some rappers on the West Coast took offense to it. I didn't meet offense to it, but at the same time, I respected their perspective, and you know, we we.
Speaker 7: Pretty much just traded some bars.
Speaker 4: Like made it better, made the better pin win.
Speaker 2: Made the better pen win.
Speaker 3: Indeed, indeed, indeed.
Speaker 2: Do you kick it with? I mean, do you kick it with anybody? Or you you you're soloist?
Speaker 9: I am by nature now in this phase of my life, I do. I am solo a lot. But yeah, yeah, like when you say anybody, you mean like rapper friends type of.
Speaker 2: Thing, Yeah, yeah, you got you know, the homies that you kick it with.
Speaker 9: Oh yeah, you know j I d Is a great friend of mine, Corday is a great friend of mine.
Speaker 2: They sat ferg.
Speaker 9: Danzel Curry like those are those are my guys for real?
Speaker 2: And then it's like, you know.
Speaker 9: I got I got a bunch of people just scattered throughout the industry that, like, you know, a really solid individuals and I've been rocking with for a long time for.
Speaker 7: Sure, But you know, you know how it is, like you know, I said, man.
Speaker 9: You get to a certain age it's just it's just not what it was in the early twenties and in your team these years when it's like you hang with people every day and stuff like that, it's like we.
Speaker 1: All got our own Like the older I get that, you know, the do you see what Once you get to a certain age, you get to pick your friends. It like when you you know, you were in elementary school, junior high, in high school and everybody just around, Oh that's my friend, that's my friend. You get older, you get to pick your friend, and you know that you pick less and less of them.
Speaker 2: Yeah that's true. That's true. You got less time, you got less time to vet them.
Speaker 9: That's the fact. I've always heard just the same. Pick your friends like you pick your fruit because I'll be I mean, I'll be in the food hour in the grocery store.
Speaker 1: For a minute, like looking through. Yeah, that's why, that's why. That's why you got to wash your fruit when you get home. You hear what he's saying. The head in his hand, he done thump that he done toast it up like it's a tennis ball.
Speaker 2: You got to watch that Apple lott Hey check this out.
Speaker 1: You made your television television acting debut on a US network.
Speaker 2: You try to do any more acting?
Speaker 7: Oh not trying, brother, I am doing. Oh you doing, absolutely doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 9: I got some projects in the works right now that I what's up necessarily revealed at the moment, but I'm excited to share them when I can reveal. Like this really big project I'm really excited about the shoot in Paris next year, probably gonna be like, you know, one of my I feel like this could be like, you know, my real magnum opus in the film TV world, you know, in Charlotte. But yeah, you know, raising Kanaan. We still got one more season to go for that. That's been a pleasure. And then I had the Netflix short a few years ago to Just the Strangers that Want to Oscar And yeah, a couple of projects in development as well. So acting is definitely something that you know, I take serious.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we want you to do it a favor. You know.
Speaker 1: Oo Is is a lyricist. H he goes to you know, do open where I know you remember the movie Love Jones Trade.
Speaker 5: Uh uh.
Speaker 2: Lareen's excuse me?
Speaker 1: Uh and uh nea long so has been you know going to these you know, just open you know these uh spoken words.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so uh, Joey, graded, We're.
Speaker 1: Gonna let you great because you know you're the professor and the lyricists and great penmanship.
Speaker 2: So great. Oh chose a spoken word. Let's go.
Speaker 5: Hey, listen, Joey, my pen is like that. Hold on less. Let me getting carried. I'm a little I'm under the weather right now. Let me get in Charriaedter, I bet do you think you think long summer nights? They all come to play. They're walking across the streets acting like a straight She has an umbrella, but it's not even raining.
Speaker 2: That's it. Thank you, thank you. I'm gonna give you one of those, man.
Speaker 4: Yeah, appreciate that.
Speaker 2: You gotta you gotta keep it classing man. The funny thing about it.
Speaker 5: The funny thing about it is people will hear what I just said and not be able to visualize what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: There's a message behind that.
Speaker 5: Unless you in that in that mold and that spirit and had that vision, you'll never understand what I say. So you go back and listen to it again with your eyes closed. Then the people in the chat you understand what I'm going with it.
Speaker 2: Then it comes to life.
Speaker 4: Bingo, Yeah, everybody can't. They don't, they don't have my vision.
Speaker 9: Anybody can't go. Anybody can't get on that plane.
Speaker 2: But we just talked.
Speaker 4: We just talked about that.
Speaker 2: He has a tour.
Speaker 1: Dark Aura starts off twenty five city headlining clicks off October sixteenth in Boston. Uh new album drops August twenty ninth, Lonely at the Top, Joy Badass, stop by, stop back by and talk to him sometimes, and let me ask you this.
Speaker 2: Who you who you got this year? Who your team? And why? Who's my team? And basketball? Football? Football all?
Speaker 9: Like you guys probably hate me when I say this, but I don't really watch football. Bro Okay, yeah, I'm I don't know. I'm the wrong person to talk to you. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 2: Who are your basketball team? Who's your basket? Who you who? Team? Man?
Speaker 9: Like I'm always rooting for Lebron Man, I'm always rooting for le Bron Big Lebron Man.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: There you go. That's what we talk about. We're gonna get you out here.
Speaker 1: We're gonna get you out here on that one George Man Fest of Love, continue success Man, stop back by and see her sometime.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: Sorry, Sorry, it's so late, but this was, this was we came on the way.
Speaker 9: Next time, I'm going to make sure I get my power in that being like Ochoke sal make sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we appreciate that, brother. Thanks for joining y'all. Much love, Joey Badass Chat