Speaker 1: Welcome to Before Breakfast, a production of iHeartRadio. Good Morning, This is Laura. Welcome to the Before Breakfast podcast. Today's episode is going to be a slightly longer one part of the series where I interview fascinating people about how they take their days from great to awesome and any advice they have for the rest of us. So today, I'm delighted to welcome him in a Vingoica to Before Breakfast. She is the author of several books, including Listen Like You Mean It, Rest Easy, and The Life Audit, a step by stead guide to discovering your goals and building the life you want. So him in and welcome to the show.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so excited to have you on. Why don't you tell our listeners a little bit about yourself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so, I'm a user researcher, which we can get into a little bit, but it informs a lot of the writing that I do. So I've worked at several big tech companies, and I write and I illustrate rate have several nonfiction books, and I'm actually also working on some novels.
Speaker 1: Oh wonderful. I'm so excited about that and can't wait to read it, so tell us, yeah about user experience and what this means for people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so a user researcher, I like to think of it as one of the more people friendly roles in tech. So essentially where they're to translate what do people really need? What are users really need from the products that we're building, and we're kind of a voice for the people. So rather than have someone say like, hey, I have this great design idea, let's just build it, the user researcher is really the intermediary to say, like, let's actually go talk to some people, see what they need, see how this fits into their world or doesn't make sure it's usable, beautifully designed, but also easy to use and actually functional. So it involves a lot of surveys but also one on one interviews, moderating group workshops, that kind of thing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because it feels like a lot of tech may have a great thing it's supposed to do, but it's very hard for the user to understand it.
Speaker 2: Is that?
Speaker 1: I mean do you counter that a lot?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I mean basically the goal is to not have you be on a page and be confused or get stuck, you know, not be able to find a button, you know, at a very micro level, and then I think at the macro level, it's really saying, you know, this is something that should bring something to your life, something positive, whether that's you know, purely functional or joyful and not be you know, a pet project. Let's say that someone just got really excited about but really just has no purpose in somebody's life.
Speaker 1: So, as part of doing this user research, you were listening to a lot of people, which then you pivoted to writing about that and becoming an expert on listening. Can you tell us a little bit about your book on listening?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it was interesting because as a user researcher, you're spending a lot of time interviewing people, having these really deep conversations in a very short amount of time. I mean these these could be really personal conversations about things like finances, and you only get forty five minutes, maybe sixty minutes to talk to someone, and so you really have to build the ability to go very deep very quickly. And that's not easy. You're you know, you're talking to a stranger, somebody who's never met you before, who maybe doesn't really understand whether even showing up to this company and you know, showing up to a lab it can be intimidating, and so you have to use a lot of tools and techniques to instantly build rapport to be able to get to those deeper questions without it feeling like an interrogation or invasive. And the more time I spent in the lab and was seeing, you know, the benefits of using these techniques in that setting, and then I could kind of easily contrast that with, oh, wait, I'm in this meeting with my peers and everybody's talking past each other, or you know, I'm having an everyday conversation with my husband and we're also just like totally on different wavelengths. You know, it seemed really obvious to me that those techniques could be pourted over to the real world, not just to you know, make conversations run more smoothly, but ultimately to build better relationships, because I think that's what it's really about. When you're able to be a good listener, it opens so much up between you and that other person. So it's really about leveraging that to build better and deeper connections.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, and I know that's something a lot of people want, but someone listening to this might be like, well, okay, I listen all the time. What am I doing wrong?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: What am I doing wrong when I'm listening? That is precluding these deeper connections.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think most of us when we listen, fall into what I would call service listening. So we're hearing enough of what's being said to not in smile, you know, maybe there's a follow up question or two. You know, it's not that we're totally absent of any listening skills. Right, It's like, you get through your day, you're not getting fired, you're being polite to the cash whatever, Right, Like, all of those things are true, but they're not exactly going very deep those conversations. And so what I'm proposing is to shift more to what I call empathetic listening, which is really about getting to a point of connection with someone else where you understand where the other person is coming from. And I think it's safe to say that a lot of times in our everyday conversations, we're not in that mode. We're not registering quite that deep. Well, what are some techniques we can use? Like, if somebody's listening to this and wants to try something today, what could they do. I think the first thing is to really go into it with what I call a listening mindset, and there's three components to that. So the first is humility, and this is maybe the hardest one, but it's really coming in with a spirit of being open to being wrong, kind of setting your own opinion aside, not just your opinion, also any preconceived notions, maybe even expertise that you have. I think that can actually be really quite difficult when you feel like you know a lot about a subject or area, or have really strong opinions, but just setting that aside and saying, Okay, actually my purpose here right now is not to teach. It's too more take a student role and learn from this other person. So humility really coming in with that mindset is kind of the first piece. And then you also want to bring in a spirit of curiosity. This I think is often missing from our everyday conversations. Maybe there's a topic that you just you really don't find interesting. For me a lot of times, it's sports, right, It's just not something that makes my heart sing. So I have to work harder when I'm in conversation with someone and they are a sports fan. Let's say and it would be easy for me to say, all right, they're talking about the super Bowl. I don't really care about that, Like I'm going to tune out. I have to find a thread that I can tag and get curious about. Okay, why is this person so interested in this topic? Why are they such a sports fan? Did they play sports as a kid? Were their parents really into sports? What does it mean that our culture is really into you know, the super Bowl? Like what can I learn from this? Right? Like, there's always something that I can get curious about. For me, for example, my in is while I'm not interested in sports per se, I do find the drama around you know, coaching styles and you know how people are drafted and why and all of that, Like I think that's actually quite interesting. So that's kind of my in. But it's figuring out, like what is your in into this topic that you can stay present and stay engaged instead of just saying, you know what that is not for me, I'm going to tune out. And then the third piece I think is empathy, and that's really going deeper of you know, why is this person bringing this to me? What is it that they're trying to get out of this conversation, What is it that they experience on a human level, you know, is their grief tied to this? Is their joy tied to this? And it's not to say that we have to have experienced the same thing. You know, if someone is sharing a story about a layoff and you've never experienced that, that's okay, But maybe you can tap into the feeling behind that, which is, you know, somebody is grieving this loss in their life and it was unexpected and surprising, and that must be really difficult. And have you ever had, you know, some kind of grief that you can tap into there. So I think those three components, when you're able to bring them all to the four, really sent you up for having a very different kind of conversation.
Speaker 1: So I want to ask about that last part though. I mean, empathy is for sure so important and we're trying to but by hooking that to something that I have maybe experienced in my life, I think we might accidentally fall into the trap of then being like, oh me too, Yeah you got laid off, you know, I some other random thing that had been bad to me. And I feel like that's probably not the best style of listening.
Speaker 2: No, I think you're right. I think there's a difference though, between tapping into that feeling and sitting with it and bearing witness to the other person experiencing that and doing what you're saying, which is I would call that identifying where you go, oh, yeah, yeah, like this is exactly like what I experienced, and then maybe you share about that and suddenly you're talking about your experience and the other person might go, wait a minute, like how did we get here? Like now they're talking about the loss of their dog that has nothing to do with, you know, the way I feel. So I do think it's important to, you know, try and get to that feeling, but then to also clarify, like what is actually needed in this conversation. It might be obvious, it might not be. You know this. This instinct to identify is one of what I call a default listening mode. We all have them. It's like a way of showing up in conversation. So some people are instant identifiers. Other people are instant problem solvers. They hear everything and they're like, ah, that's a problem to be solved, like let me come up with solutions, let me brainstorm with this person. Or they're a validator where they just want to cheerlead, you know, and say like, yeah, you were right in that argument, like that person totally didn't get it. These are all ways of showing up in conversation. There's nothing wrong with them, but you do have to take a step back when you're in a conversation and ask yourself, Okay, my instinct is to identify, to offer my my similar experience or to problem solve, to offer solution. Is that actually what this person needs or is it something else? And I think that is kind of how you manage some of some of that. It's sort of being aware of what that instinctive pull is to respond and then maybe a little bit of a gut check or even asking like hey, like you know, my instinct would be to maybe brainstorm with you, is that what you're looking for and get that clarity.
Speaker 1: Yeah, to ask, I mean sometimes you can in fact, just to ask exactly. Well, we're going to take a quick ad break and then we'll be back with more tips on better listening. Well, I am back talking with him and a vinga Cha. She is the author of several books, including Listen Like You Mean It, Rest Easy, and The Life Audit One of the techniques you talk about in Listen like you mean it is the power of silence. And I know you use this to good effect in your user research interviews, trying to get people to talk about what they were experiencing. How can we sort of build this into everyday life.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, one of the things that silence allows is for processing. It's for thinking through, and it's giving space for another person to vocalize, to verbalize that. So often our very human instinct is if a conversation goes quiet, we want to rush in and fill the void because it's uncomfortable. You maybe have like a little bit of an inner monologue of oh God, did I say something to offend this person? Or have I bored them? Or geez, like I need to I need to come up with something else to say, Like I need to be spontaneous and fun. And you know, we can get in our own head about these kinds of things. But sometimes silence is just a way for the other person to finish the thought, you know, to think it through a little bit more, or to open up. Maybe they're building up towards sharing something vulnerable that you know it was difficult to say immediately, right so we want to give the conversation breathing room. We want to give that space, and that can be very hard for people. It's very hard for me. So, like one of the things that you can do is to just you know, if you feel that silent moment encroaching and you're starting to get uncomfortable, try counting to ten, you know, just see what will happen. Maybe nothing happens, that's okay too. But usually when you do give people a little bit of space, they'll they'll bring something to the conversation that was maybe unexpected that you didn't really know. Oh, we're going to go there, Okay, great.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are some ways to show that we're engaged in the conversation.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a great question. I mean, part of it is physical. It's like, you know, eye contact can be very important, you know, nodding your head along, some of these natural cues that I think most of us are probably doing and you don't have to think too much about. But you know, if you're someone who generally avoids eye contact, maybe that's something that you want to start incorporating into your conversation. But some of these are also just verbal cues. So it's asking good follow up questions. It's kind of nudging the conversation along. It's demonstrating an interest by really engaging with what they're saying. And people can tell when you know you're asking a question for the sake of it versus you're actually invested, because the types of questions that you're more likely to ask are going to be more specific, They're going to be a little bit deeper rather than surface level. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, although with that, are there any good sort of deepening questions that can kind of nudge people to keep going and show that you're engaged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean I like to think of you know, questions come in different categories. Some questions are going to close a conversation and some questions are going to open them up. So you want to try and avoid simply close ended questions, So questions that are going to result in a yes or no answer. So questions that start with do are that kind of thing you want to go for more open ended what how? Why is tricky because why can sound like you're interrogating someone, so that one is maybe less useful, But so thinking about how you're framing questions so less you know, are you nervous about that work presentation, and more, hey, how do you feel about that presentation coming up? So you're not you know, projecting onto that person and how they might be experiencing something. So I think those questions can be useful. And then the last thing I'll say is just sometimes just when you can sense that somebody also, you know, maybe there's more to say and you're kind of tiptoeing around it, just repeating what they've said and giving some space for it or slightly paraphrasing it. It can be really simple like, oh, you know, you mentioned feeling upset, and you can pause, you know, and see what they say. Or you can add a little nudge like you're feeling upset because and pause and again like people will kind of fill in the blanks. So those are some of the ways that you can deep in and show that engagement at the same time.
Speaker 1: Excellent tips. Well, I want to pivot to your more recent book because I definitely want listeners to check that out as well. The life Audit. What on Earth is a life audit?
Speaker 2: Great question? Yes, So the life audit is an exercise in self reflection and really getting to know yourself in order to essentially architect the life that you want. So it's a way of uncovering your deepest wishes, desires, goals, and also your core values and essentially looking and seeing, like do my core values align with the life that I want to live? Am I pursuing the goals, these wishes, these desires. Have I set my life up in a way that I can see these things through? And I think it's it's useful for anyone who you know, wants to take a step back and sort of reflect on where they are in their journey and where they want to go. And it's particularly useful if you're at some kind of crossroads, like maybe you've just graduated college, maybe you've just changed jobs, or you're thinking about changing careers. Maybe you've just had a child and that's kind of upended your world. So I think there are lots of moments where this can be useful, and it could also just be as simple as you know, an annual sort of like the new Year, you want to reflect and see like what do I want to add of this year of my life.
Speaker 1: One of the things you suggest people do is come up with a hundred wishes that you're putting on post it notes, and you give people very limited time to come up with these as well. I've often suggested listeners do what we call it a list of one hundred dreams around here, you know, one hundred things you'd like to spend more time doing in your life, or goals that will take more time that you want to do. But I've never actually forced anyone to do it in an hour, so I'm curious about the time limit and how you came up with that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I think it's useful to have constraints. In the same way that it's useful to say, hey, aim for a hundred I think it's useful to try and do it in an hour. Obviously, this is your life, audit. If you want to take more time, go ahead and take more time. You know no one's gonna check up on you. But I think that that constraint, it's really about focusing that time because many of us don't make the time to ask these big questions of ourselves. So honestly, even an hour kind of feels luxurious if you think about it that way, right, But that our time frame and using those post its, those are deliberate constraints. Like I suggest sticky notes and not you know, an Excel spreadsheet, because then you've got a device, and then you've got notifications. And I suggest a sticky note with a sharpie because it forces you to write less. Right, you cannot write that much when you're using a sharpie on a three by three sticky notes. It forces you to kind of get to the heart of that wish or desire. So all of those constraints are really intentional to help you uncover these these deeper desires with the tools that you already have.
Speaker 1: And do you have a good process for once people sort of brainstorm a lot of things that they would like to do for giving themselves any sort of timeline for achieving these.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So the first part of the Life Audit is really about uncovering those goals and then sort of doing an affinity mapping where you're grouping things into themes and starting to see patterns and saying, wow, I have a lot of goals or wishes around health or a lot around career, community, whatever it may be. And then the second part of the book does focus on Okay, you've got all of these wishes, now how do I prioritize them? And what does that look like. And I always like to remind people that, you know, whatever plan you come up with, this is over the course of your life, right because it can feel overwhelming to look at everything and go, oh my god, there's so much that I want to do. Where do I begin and how quickly can I do these things? But it is a pretty long, you know, timeframe we're talking about. So usually what I suggest is that people start to focus on let's say, three to five things they want to get done in the near term, you know, and you can separate it out from these are let's say core values. These are things that I want to carry with me every day, So things like I really want to be patient or generous, those are things that are going to live with you and you want to carry that every day. But then there are also the things that maybe you want to get done in the next six months, six to twelve months, let's say. And then there are things like you know, live abroad that maybe that's something that you'll do in retirement. Who knows, right, So at least that initial framing of is it every day, is it six to twelve months out, is it much further out? And then from there, once you pick those, let's say three to five that you want to work on. Then you start breaking everything down into even smaller chunks. Okay, you want to live abroad at some point, great, what do you have to do? Like do you have to learn a language? Do you want to sign up for language classes? Do you want to visit that place? Plan a visit first? And so then you start really getting into the nitty gritty. So it's kind of like I'm motioning, nobody can see, but it's kind of like a funnel right where you're starting pretty broad and getting more and more specific because that's what makes it actionable.
Speaker 1: Yeap, big goals down to doable steps exactly. Well, we're going to take one more quick ad break and then we'll be back with a little bit more about him INA's productivity routines. Well, I am back talking with him and Vingoateea about her books on listening, her book on the Life Audit. I want to talk about your routines. I've always love to hear about what makes people more productive. Do you have any particular routines that make you more productive?
Speaker 2: Yeah? So I always think about it as like every person has their personal productivity zone, which is like a time of day or a place, an environment, something that makes you more productive. And for me, I've always been more productive in the morning, and so I design my day around that, and I'm very careful about what I take on in the morning, so I don't do any any admin I don't do anything that's sort of like just responsive in the mornings. The mornings I really reserve for strategic work, creative work, that sort of deep thinking happens in the morning. And then the afternoons, when I know that my body is more tired out and then I'm not as sharp, that's when I'm really focusing on some of those smaller tasks. So that's one of the things that I do. And then another thing that I do is I use a lot of analog tools, So I have a weekly planner, I have a calendar, I have a daily to do list, and all of that is just physical pen and paper where I can chart out, Okay, this is what I think I'm doing for the week, and then every day, hour by hour, this is what I'm going to try and get done. Especially as someone who you know doesn't have a boss to report to and is in charge of their own deadlines, it's helpful to see that kind of laid out like that, where you can be a little more realistic about how you're going to spend each day without all the device distractions.
Speaker 1: And is this planning process something you kind of do on a weekly basis looking to the next week or or is it more every day you're looking to the next day or to a larger frame of time. I'm curious to the cadence of it.
Speaker 2: It's a little bit of boath. So you know, with a book project, I have targets that I'm trying to meet, deadlines that I'm trying to meet, but as you know, you know, when you're working on a project of that size, the deadlines don't always work. But I have so I have things that I'm striving toward and then kind of working backwards. But it can be as simple as you know, I'm working on a novel right now, and so for this week, it was sort of like, Okay, the goal is to try and revise the first part of the novel. That's the goal for the week, and then daily I'm kind of tracking progress. I'm going, okay, now you're working on chapters like seven through nine today, Like that's the goal and then hourly it's sort of like, Okay, I think chapter seven is going to take three hours, Like, let's see how that goes. So it's really kind of again funneling down from there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, great, great ideas. What's something you have done recently to take a day from great to awesome?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I love this question because I think, you know, when I was thinking of examples, really they all came down to introducing more entropy into my day and taking more breaks. So, you know, especially having written a book on rest, I thought about this a lot of you know, we're not machines, even though we sometimes feel like we ought to be, and constantly producing. For me at least, I think for many of us, taking breaks is just it's like this huge mental unlock. It's a big reset. And the most exciting breaks for me are the ones that are just like a little bit different, things that don't quote unquote book productive. So having coffee with a friend who is it's totally unrelated to anything that I'm working on, I will leave that feeling so invigorated and so energized, even if I didn't you know, talk at all about work or setting up you know, a writing sort of like mini retreat with someone, I'm going to get less work done than if I were to do it at home alone. But just that little bit of entropy, that spark that helps kind of reset things, or even just you know, taking an extra long walk with my dog because it's sunny out. All of those things that again on paper, you're like, wow, I just I kind of ninety minutes of the day there, like probably shouldn't have done that I find are actually really helpful. That's slowing down the act of slowing down. It just does something where it's this really important creative mental reset, and I often find that that is when I'm solving problems. You know, it's like stepping away is really the biggest thing that I can do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we love little adventures around here. It's a good way to make a schedule a lot more fun. So where can people find you?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I have a website Humana Vanguitrea dot com and a newsletter where I talk a lot about these kinds of topics and that's Jimena dot substack dot com.
Speaker 1: Awesome, Oh, Himana, thank you so much for joining us. Thank you to everyone for listening. If you have feedback on this, or any other episode. You can always reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com and in the meantime, this is Laura. Thanks for listening, and here's to making the most of our time. Thanks for listening to Before Breakfast. If you've got questions, ideas, or feedback, you can reach me at Laura at Laura vandercam dot com. Before Breakfast is a production of iHeartMedia. For more podcasts from iHeartMedia, please visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.