Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, podcasts, radio news.
Speaker 2: Making the case for a rake cut. FED Governor Chris Waller sounding an audience here in New York, looking across the selfton hot data, I get a picture of a labor market on the edge joining us now here in New York City, the Federals f Governor Chris Waller.
Speaker 1: Governor Walla, good morning, Oh, good morning from Jonathan Lisa Henry. Nice to be here.
Speaker 2: It's good to see you, sir. Let's talk about why we're losing the luxury of white sink.
Speaker 1: Have we lost that already? No? I think we have.
Speaker 3: Like I said last night, the headline numbers for the lay remark what we're seeing are okay, but it's like when you get underneath and start looking at the data, the private sector is not doing as well as everybody thinks. It is like most of the half of the employment growth we saw last month was in the public sector, and that means the private.
Speaker 1: Sector is not doing particularly well.
Speaker 3: So I was just joking that, you know, if you're walking on a lake and the ice is frozen and sound safe, but when you start hearing cracks, and that's what I feel like, it's too late once you go through the ice, so you've got to start prepping in advance before you have that happen.
Speaker 2: How do you scan that with what we've had from Coporate America so far? What Coporate America has tolled Lisa sitting down with Skull cub if United aadlines talking about a rebound in the second half, what we've had from the big banks so far this week? How do you sclam what you're seeing the data with what way hearing from CEOs?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean when I talk to CEOs, I get the same thing, wearing just hole pattern in terms of certainly the labor market. They're not hiring, they're not firing, they're just watching. And that's kind of what you see in this underlying.
Speaker 1: Private sector data.
Speaker 3: There's not much happening, So it wouldn't take much sort of tippet.
Speaker 1: Now, could I be wrong? Absolutely?
Speaker 3: I mean last year we got a couple of week labor market reports allowed us to cut in September and then everything kind of reversed went back up.
Speaker 1: So I'm not saying that couldn't happen again.
Speaker 3: But it's just we've constantly seen little bits of day continually coming down the page book yesterday came out some other stuff.
Speaker 1: When you get out of the Joels quits rates.
Speaker 3: Hiring rates, these things are not indicating our super healthy private sector of labor market.
Speaker 2: As you know, you're facing potentially and I stress, potentially negative supply shelks on both sides of the mandate. I want to say on the labor market, just for one further note, immigration, how are you thinking about that when you look at a labor market at the moment when we have people coming on the program on Blimbeck Savanans on Bloomback TV every single morning six till nine, coming on here and saying, look at the data, unemployment could stand these levels even with job gains of fifty to one hundred thousand because of tighter immigration. How does that factor into your thinking as you look at the US labor market.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, the labor market doesn't necessarily have to be affected by it because if workers flow in and they get jobs at roughly the same rate as the existing workers, the unmployment rate doesn't change even though the labor force is higher. And when they go back out, the same thing happens. If they leave the employment and leave the labor force, you don't see a big change. The inflationing now ken potentially affect the break even rate that you would need to have the market going well. And that's what we're still trying to kind of get a sense of because you basically brought five years of immigration forward, and you know, of that eight or nine million, most of them haven't disappeared. So they're still here somewhere, whether they're going to work, they're not going to work, but they're still here. I don't where I think the immigration stuff. If immigration was a big factory, you'd be seeing shortages, and you might see some in you know, some industries. But like I pointed out that if you look at the new college graduate unemployment rate, it's seven percent. It's much higher than it has These are not jobs are being opened up because immigrants are not coming in.
Speaker 1: It should be just the opposite.
Speaker 3: If immigrants are leaving and these jobs are open and then the unemployment right should go the other way. So that unemployment rate, to me, is telling me immigration.
Speaker 1: Is not the source of the problem.
Speaker 3: Firms are just holding off on hiring decisions even if their earnings are doing well.
Speaker 1: That's that's just what I'm saying. They're doing on the labor side.
Speaker 2: I wanted to sign as a mutual friend of us. That feels like he's missing out this morning, so I wanted to cat show with you as well.
Speaker 3: He's outing Victor idoh, always having a good time, isn't it.
Speaker 1: My McKay joined us now. Good morning Mike, Good.
Speaker 4: Morning John, and good morning Governor. While I would say I'm sorry I'm not there with you, but I bet you're sorry you're not here with me, I know.
Speaker 1: You got it. I've been there before. It's a nice place.
Speaker 4: You've made the case now a couple of times for a July rate cut.
Speaker 1: But how committed are you?
Speaker 4: Are you willing to dissent at this meeting if the majority votes the other way?
Speaker 3: Well, I never want to commit to an action before the meeting. That's otherwise. If everybody committed before, you don't even need to have the meeting have a discussion. So the goal is to always go to the meeting, sit down, listen to all sides.
Speaker 1: People will try to convince me of their view.
Speaker 3: I'll try to convince some of my views, and then the end of the day you make decisions on what you think is the right outcome and the right data, how the data is coming and right now. I laid out my case last I don't think I could be any more clear, I hope, as to what my position is and why.
Speaker 1: I think we need to do this.
Speaker 3: It's just how I read the data and how I think about going forward. How you respond to anything that involves tariffs.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of politics in this decision coming up, more than usual, and I'm wondering. Governor Bowman has also suggested she would prefer a rate cut in July. If two of you vote for a rate cut, if two of you were to descend, would you worry about the market reaction to that?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: One of the things that has always bothered me since I took this job is the criticism.
Speaker 1: That we are nothing but group think.
Speaker 3: All the meanings are the same, nobody does sense, nobody does anything.
Speaker 1: And I think this is healthy.
Speaker 3: I think this is a turning point in the way we want to think about policy. Some people don't want to cut, some do want to cut, but coming out and making the case either side's good healthy debate. Otherwise, if we're always going to do the same, the joke is, why don't you just have one person set policy and some of the other eighteen FMC members home.
Speaker 1: So this is healthy. I think this is what you want to see in a democracy. You want to see.
Speaker 3: Policymakers have serious, open discussion about where policies should go. It doesn't mean anything about politics or anything else. It's make the economic argument and then see if you can convince others to go along with you.
Speaker 1: And that's all I'm trying to do.
Speaker 2: We totally agree with you. For the record, we would sack of the great thinking. It's good to have dissent, you know, Mike essentially is asking if you will dissent at the end of this month. Is the value and dissentic on the f web site.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean it's often the case that you dissent if you make it very clear you think at this moment in time, this is an important thing to do. If you were to go in and do kind of a jihadist I'm going to dissent at every single meeting no matter what happens. Then you don't even have to show up. Everybody knows what you're going to do. So it is important to make sure that if you dissent, you do it carefully and you have the right reasons, and it's not going to turn into a serial dissenting potential case. I mean, that's how I take my job seriously and responsibly, so I only would think about doing this. I dissented on the balance sheet slowed down earlier this year because I felt like that was not needed. And that's kind of the situation we're.
Speaker 1: In now, Chris.
Speaker 4: If you do cut, the markets will go one way. If you don't, they'll go another. Perhaps, are how critical is it to get to a rate cut fairly quickly? You've mentioned the danger to the labor market, But if you do wait till September, is that going to be too late?
Speaker 3: Well that's kind of the debate. What does it mean to wait six weeks? Is it that critical? And the answer is probably not. It could be, but it's also the reverse. Why wait till September? If it's just six weeks, that's exactly the thing. It doesn't kind of matter. Just start the thinking about do I want to wait and risk something happening.
Speaker 1: This is what we saw last summer. By the way we.
Speaker 3: Left July, we left rates and then boom, we got a very weak, bad labor market reports and unemployment rate jumped two tens, payrolls went way down from where they were, and people were screaming at us last August, you guys should have cut in July. So one month? Can it always is one month? Just remember that it's just one month. But we live in a world in which we have to respond to real time data to kind of sense of where the economy is going. And I've always said if you worry about long and variable lags, which everybody always talks about, the whole point of.
Speaker 1: That is to get ahead of it, not wait for it to happen.
Speaker 3: And then hike a policy action that takes quarters or months down the road to actually.
Speaker 1: Have any impact.
Speaker 2: The new Wiries tariffs, We've just had a six minute conversation with you at that month, at your policy You've built a case for a lot of interest rights, and no one's talked about trite or inflation. Two assumptions in your speech yesterday, and I think they're important assumptions. A large share of tariff increases one bepostreets can see us any increase would fight over the next YEARO cybe what data underpins that conclusion?
Speaker 3: Well, one, it's just first, it's just economic theory. So you put on a tear cari iff as long as it's a one time tariff, and that's it. That's a one time price effect. I mean, this is economic theory. You could not get in any serious economic model persistent inflation from that. You would have to cook up some other amplification mechanisms.
Speaker 1: And that's what people talk about wages. They'll start going up and everything will get out of control. You're not seeing that at all.
Speaker 3: This is just not those kind of amplification mechanism or wage price spirals aren't happening. Tariffs are attacks, and in public finance you learn that you may levy attacks on a firm, but who bears the incidents of the burden of that tax can be a group of people or one person not of the firm.
Speaker 1: So this is what I've heard from a lot of firms.
Speaker 3: If there's a ten percent tax, they'll force their suppliers.
Speaker 1: To eat some of that cost.
Speaker 3: Workers meet some of that costs in terms of less hiring and things like that.
Speaker 1: The firm will take it.
Speaker 3: Out of their profit margins, and then lastly some of it will get passed on. And as I mentioned last night, I've heard this for months now, like the rule is ten percent, it's sorefully rule. If I'm as a third to third a third suppliers of later to third firms lead to third consumer is going to eat a third of that tariff. So if you eat a third of it and it's ten percent, like I've been arguing, this is like three tenths of a three basic three tenths on the inflation rate for a few months, and that's it, and it'll persist. If you do twelve month over twelve month, that base effect will not go away for a while and then it'll just drop off a cliff. So that's why I've been arguing, you want to look at like three months and six months to see if these tariff effects pop up and then go away. And so that's more critical looking at twelve month.
Speaker 4: Yes, but the way the President is putting these tariffs on might not match up with theory. Chris, the smooth hol attacks was passed and came into it on a certain date. The President is not yet put on most of these tafts they're in. Theory is still coming and we still haven't seen the Section two.
Speaker 1: Thirty two tariffs.
Speaker 4: For the most part, the National Defense tariffs that he wants to put on semiconductors and pharmaceuticals, et cetera. So if the process is stretched out, consumers could be hit by a series an ongoing series of tariff increases. And given what they've just been through, isn't there danger that inflation psychology starts to seep in?
Speaker 1: Well, that's exactly the point.
Speaker 3: All my example has been is if you put the ten percent uniform tariff on and keep it roughly in that range, than what I've described as will happen. If there's constantly a sequence of higher and higher and higher tariffs, then you are going at this rolling potential impact on prices.
Speaker 1: That's true.
Speaker 3: If it's still just a question of delaying it, that doesn't change my argument. Whether you see the spike in July or it happens in June, or Army, August or September. When it happens, is there for the economics that's.
Speaker 1: A non starter an argument.
Speaker 3: Firms could also just spread it out in smaller increments over several months. The total effects stillins of being the same. They just get there in a later fashion and it'll be smaller amounts. So the bigger thing is if we just continually get another wave of tariffs, another wave of tariffs, and another waves of tariffs. That's when things become more problematic thinking about what's going to happen with inflation.
Speaker 2: You don't think the feder was a should Wait, I just want to talk about the experience of last year. I think Lisa's done a fantastic job of covering this over the last six seven eight months. The move we saw last year one hundred basis point reduction in interest rates on Fed funds, and then we saw a corresponding move one hundred basis points higher at the long end of the yield curve. Yields down did not happen. It was yields up and mortgage costs up as well. How do you think one informed the other and how might that shape your approach to kind of interest rates this time around?
Speaker 3: Well, I think last September there was a lot of rumor the long term rates were going down through Artist and early September, and this was not any contradiction of what we were doing. It's just after the September meeting that data just came back and the opposite way growth was productivity was employment suddenly took back off. And then you have real growth expectations being much higher. We were seeing productivity growth in GDP growth are close to three percent, So in that case, long rates go up anyway, So it's not necessarily there was some counter reaction to what we were doing. I never saw inflation expectations adjust.
Speaker 1: It caused all that.
Speaker 2: You didn't think it was a market questioning. Youal commitments to the inflation mandate.
Speaker 3: If it would have been, you've seen it inflation expectations in the market, not the Michigan thing, But we didn't see it. I mean, inflation expectations stayed fairly anchored all through this rise. So I think the increase of long rate was just all the data was coming in for a better, stronger economy. Then we thought it was going to be in September. That's fine with me, you know. I sometimes you're going to do these things taking a shot that I want to make sure we don't have a hard landing. And as I said, with any kind of an insurance cut, sometimes you don't need the insurance.
Speaker 1: It didn't work.
Speaker 3: Out, but that doesn't mean you go back and say, oh, that was a stupid decision.
Speaker 2: To make market based expectations of inflation. Let's sit on this. There are clear and obvious threats to the central banks independence right now. Every single down this program, we're quoting the President, quoting the chairman too late, and going after lower interest rates. And I think a way that you and I can have this conversation without addressing those those cools directly is to think about what's happening with inflation expectations. Did these threats threats into d anchor market based inflation expectations? And it's not something you and the Committee might become increasingly sensitive too in the months to come.
Speaker 1: Well, Like I.
Speaker 3: Said, I look at the after the tariffs coming on, everybody was worried about the anchoring expectations, particularly after some of these Michigan surveys came out. When I always look at the market based expectation because money, people have money in the game.
Speaker 1: Firms are making.
Speaker 3: Decisions or what they're cheap economists are saying, and if those things are wrong, they're gonna lose a lot of money.
Speaker 1: Always paid more attention.
Speaker 3: I haven't seen much in the way of market expectations being unanchored in any ways you want to measure them any forwarder now in the near term.
Speaker 1: Of course they might go on because you would.
Speaker 3: See inflation in the short term, but in the longer term ones I'm not seeing it. So either the market is just dismissing all of this as chattering noise, or at some point if something happens such that it becomes much more serious than you might see a discrete jump, and.
Speaker 1: Then you know that's that's gonna be a problem for everybody.
Speaker 4: One of the questions that we get all the time, Chris, from people on Wall Street is or one of the posits they make is that all this criticism of the FED is hurting FED credibility and that the next chairman is going to have a tough job because there are going to be expectations for the next chairman set by the White House rather than by the economy. Do you feel that inside the building.
Speaker 1: Now, To be absolutely honest, we just do our job.
Speaker 3: Every day I go in, I just focus on my work on monetary policy, payments.
Speaker 1: And oversight of the reserve banks. That's what I do.
Speaker 3: I let this stuff go and then just try to focus on my job. And I think that's how all of us are proceeding with this. I mean, at the end of the day, the president, when whoever they choose, you're going to have to have somebody has credibility with the markets, or you will see, as Jonathan is talking about, you're going to see inflation expectations bike.
Speaker 1: You will not get lower interest rates, you will get higher interest rates. This is well known.
Speaker 3: We've seen this everywhere around the world when this happens. And I know Scott Deson knows this, So this is not something that is lost on anybody.
Speaker 2: You've been nominated by this president for the seat on the board. Yes, you were a previously director of research for Jim Pillot White back then is it a position you would like? Is it something you would like to do or in the future.
Speaker 1: Look in twenty nineteen, the President contact me and say would you serve? And I said yes. If the President contacted me and so I want you to serve, I would do it.
Speaker 3: But he's not contact What say if he does, If he says, Chris, I want you to do the job, I'll say yes.
Speaker 1: But he's not talking to me.
Speaker 3: So that's it that much hypothetical that.
Speaker 2: That might change. So it's good to see you. We appreciate your time, all right, been very generous with it. Thank you very much. The Federal Reserve governor there, Christopher Waller, Mike McKay, thanks as well to you, sir,