Speaker 1: It's the Son of a Butcher podcast. We come to you every Wednesday. With the first Major just around the corner at Augustin National, I thought we would do a little deep dive into what that golf course is like. And I can't think of two better people to talk about what it's like to be on that golf course. Kessler Karine and Austin Johnson. They have both been on the Bad. Kessler caddies for Patrick Reed. Patrick Reed won a green jacket obviously. Austin Johnson AJ caddies for his brother, Dustin Johnson. DJ won a green jacket in twenty twenty. I think their INSIGHT's kind of a deep dive into what to expect on the golf course because it is such a unique place, the fact that it's the same golf course every year. But I think the caddies probably have the best perspective of what's actually going on in professional golf. They have a rooting side seat, and I think a deep dive with AJ and Kessler you'll be able to take some stuff so that when you're watching the Masters, I think a lot of stuff, a lot of the things they're talking about will make sense. But wanted to talk to you about rap Sodo. I've partnered with them for a while now and their launch monitors have changed the way players can practice. With the MLM to Pro, you have a launch monitor and a golf simulat that you can easily take to the course or set up at home to play and practice. The award winning MLM to Pro offers thirty thousand simulated courses to play, thirteen metrics to take a look at what your swing is doing, and three video replays options to analyze your swing. All for six hundred and ninety nine dollars and ninety nine cents. You can play the courses the pros are playing, all from the comfort of your own home. Rap Sodo is constantly innovating, innovating with new features, and now the MLM and the MLM to Pro allow you to capture your clubhead speed without ever hitting a golf ball, which is fantastic for anyone looking to gain distance with speed training, and I think everybody listening is trying to gain more distant. Go to rapsodo dot com backslash h three and you will receive a fifty dollars gift card to rapsodo dot com with the purchase of an m LM two pro Play Your Way with rap Sodo Golf Play Without Limits. So, as I mentioned, Austin Johnson and Kessler Crane a really really good pod and if you're looking forward to the Masters, you're gonna get a lot of info from two of the best caddies in the game, Kesler and AJ. You both have been lucky enough to be on the bag for a win at Augusta Nashville. Kesler with Patrick Reid obviously AJ with your brother DJ. I've had players on before the Masters to do kind of a Master's preview to talk about what it takes to win around there. But I think it's I think you guys being on the bag probably have as much of a ringside seat to how it different. How is Augusted different for you guys as caddies versus other weeks. What what what makes that week different?
Speaker 2: Hey Jah, Yeah, sure, I'll start off. Well. First off, first thing that comes to mind is it's physically the most demanding week of the year for the caddies. I mean it's to me, it's the hardest walk of the year.
Speaker 1: You know, you're you're in the gym six seven days where you're in unbelieve you both are in unbelievable shape. And it is a hard, hard walk around that place for a week.
Speaker 2: It's a it's a tough walk. You got the jumpsuit on as well, Sorry about that. You got the jumpsuit on the way as on as well, which adds another degree of difficulty. It can be hot in April there as well. Yeah, and I mean, and then outside it being the most physically demanding mentally, it's the most demanding tournament as well, because it's the biggest tournament of the year. A and I mean every shot from a caddies point of view, there's there's some sort of trouble. You don't want to hit it here, you can't miss here, you don't want to do it. So for me, I'm just try not to think of it. But there's just so many things that you're sitting there thinking of, you know, don't do this, don't do that. It's it's it's a grueling week. I mean, I'm definitely Sunday night leaving Augusta's the most tired you are the entire year. It's the best week of the year, but it's definitely the most demanding week of the year. For sure, and I'll.
Speaker 1: Yes, I mean, obviously we hear so much h Augusta about to win. Not only as a player do you have to control what your golf swing is doing, control the shots, but you have to kind of control your mind. And they talk about it being so demanding mentally. AJ just alluded to it. But what do you find kes when you're out there when you got when you and Patrick Reid we out there when you guys won, did you feel that it was taxing mentally? Even as a caddie.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. Everyone always asks, oh, that must have been so much fun, and you're like, yeah, after after is fun. Everything leading up to that, you know, pin going down on eighteen and taking the flag off is just grueling, you know, and stressful to the tee. I mean, we came into the eighteen with a one shot lead, so we had to have par on eighteen and that hole is a beast and my guy is more of a draw player, but he's got a lot of shots in the bag and he hit a perfect cut down the fairway and right after that, you're feeling really confident because you're in the best possible position to make parr sitting there in the fairway on eighteen. But like AJ said, I mean it's physically taxing. And I think also like our fitness level helps out a great deal and decision making ability because we're not maybe when other guys are climbing up that hill on eight after having to rake that bunker and then you got to get the layout number after that's one of the worst walks out of us one hole, like t shot, I go, please, everyone just hit this fairway because somebody's gonna have to rake that bunker and I don't want it to be me, But it helps. I think, you know, when you're tired, we're not thinking maybe as much about catching our breath as some other caddy that's out of like out of shape, and we're able to make better decisions. And at the end of the day, you know, with all the things, like all the things that could go wrong, I just feel like being confident with whatever you say and not having to look back on it, because at the end of the day, you like when you finish, if you finish second there or third there, you start that Sunday night probably chalking up certain strokes here and there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think we hear I mean, one of the things I think that makes Augustus so great is that it is played at the same golf course every year. But that also means that everybody kind of knows where the trouble is and all of that. So you guys as caddies, are there holes out there that when you get through there with a par that you're just like that you feel even during the tournament that you feel a relief or there's certain pin positions for everyone listening that will watch or will go to Augusta what are what are the holes that you all think are ones that are difficult and they don't look difficult on TV? Do you have one?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I mean for me, they all look they all look difficult. But I think the big thing is is when when you make that turn ten eleven twelve, you can get off to a good start on the back nine there, then then you you know, you really feel good about about shooting a good number. But yeah, you know, I feel like ten ten eleven twelve, that stretch causes a lot of people a lot of trouble. It's it's a stressful, especially eleven elevens of beast a cold day.
Speaker 1: So when you guys are out there. You know it's difficult, right, you know, I mean there is there's danger lurking all over that golf course. But you guys have both caddy for players that have won a green jacket, so obviously you know there were good shots out there. Is it a mindset that Augusta that I think I feel like it can sometimes lull you into this kind of defensive mode constantly being on the defensive. So when you do get an opportunity to be aggressive, you do get a good putt, you maybe sometimes feel like this is I have to take advantage of that. So when you guys are out there on the bag and you're talking to the guys, how do you guys balance that to where when to be aggressive out there? Or there times at Augusta during the tournament or other times you can be aggressive, And what are those times?
Speaker 3: I mean, there's been a few years where the greens were just a little bit softer than they typically are, like whole fifteen that back right pin. I mean, I remember a couple of times if you hit the right bunker, that up and down was not fun. And then I remember there's one year where it wasn't that bad, Like remember what I always in The Caddyshack in the morning, you're watching on TV and you're seeing a couple of shots, and I just remember seeing a couple times where I'm like, well, that usually doesn't play that like it usually just runs away or it's too firm. So I remember there's a few years where it's just certain shots you can play, or like back left on thirteen impossible, up and down to that back left pin. But sometimes it's it's doable. I mean, especially with Patrick's Hans, I get the luxury of the fact that, I mean, some of the hardest chips looks so easy. So that's one thing for me where I look at I get to look at certain shots, certain up and downs a little bit different where I'm like, ah, that's all right over there, and some guys might be like, I never want to be over there.
Speaker 2: Do you guys prepare more out of say some of that. I think I think Kessler was spot on with the firmness of the greens. If August of the greens are firm, you're not aggressive. You might not be aggressive one time all round you're trying to hit somewhere into the heart of the green and meet of the green. And leave yourself a up he'll putt, you know. And yeah, if it's soft like you can November when dust and want it, then yeah you can. You can go more directly at flags and you don't have to worry about the runoffs and not getting in the bad spots and all that stuff. But yeah, it all depends if Augusta's firm and fast, you very flat, very few flags do you ever take on?
Speaker 1: Do you guys like it? The players say they like it when it's firm and fast. Do you guys as caddies like it when it's firm and fast Augusta?
Speaker 2: I like it when it's firm and fast. I think it shows the teeth of the golf course a little more because you know, the fans on TV, they want to see the ball, you know, rolling forty feet away from the pin and stuff like that, and so it's I think so I think the players, like anybody, wants the golf course to be. You know, it's as hard as it not as hard as it can be, but as hard as the tournament wants it to be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, as long as it's not in like the Mickey Mouse mode of that place can get especially depend on like win conditions and everything. But I like it firm and fast because I think it plays into Patrick's game. I think you know when you met, when it's firm and fast, it usually plays harder, and I think he shines in those situations.
Speaker 1: Preparation wise, do you feel like it's a golf course as a caddy that you prepare more for or is? And mentally do you feel like you need to prepare more go out on the course without the player, walk around, figure out where everything's going to be.
Speaker 2: I don't know why, but for whatever reason, it's the only week of the year it's the same course, same everything, every year, and I go out and double and triple check my numbers every single year. You know, they move a few boxes.
Speaker 4: They make minute changes in the trick of the changes that they make it because I think that's the most amazing thing about that golf course is they can.
Speaker 1: Set it up any way that they want, right. They can set up up to where they can protect power, they can set it up to where they said, okay, we're gonna let guys go. But from a preparation standpoint, it is a golf course that I mean, you guys have played, and I mean you guys have played there and caddied there so many times. But I do think it does the same thing to caddies that it does to the players, that it's this Jedi mind trick. You're like, Okay, I need to make sure I've got this this, I need to make sure I've got that site line. And I would imagine for you guys, because once you guys get out there, you don't want to be in a situation, especially on that golf course, where you get a number or get a situation you don't have an that you don't have an answered. I've got to think that's got to be the hardest place to not have an answer to.
Speaker 3: I mean, and caddies always have to have an answer no matter what. There's never I don't know what do you think? You know? It's it's tough to be it can't ever get comfortable.
Speaker 2: There there as well. Also, it gives you at least amount of information.
Speaker 1: That really I didn't know that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're pretty basic. You get like the bunker numbers and stuff, but there's no.
Speaker 1: Not like a regular week you got pictures.
Speaker 3: They're not going to give you a slope on any of those numbers either, So you got to go get all the slopes. Now, the slopes generally are pretty much the same, but the heads change a little bit, so it might be one off here and there, so you just always have to double check. But it's a place that just wants to keep you uncomfortable, and you can't ever get comfortable like one every you know whereas here like certain places you've seen them like ten times, like you and l a cc or not lacc Riviera. I feel like you're super comfortable there.
Speaker 1: Like do you as a caddy, do you think there are any caddies that feel comfortable around Augusta Nashal And you would think that the two of you would feel comfortable around there, caddy, because you guys have you guys have been on the bag for weeks.
Speaker 2: I can answer for myself. I don't feel comfortable, right man. I mean, I just don't know how anybody maybe bones he's been around there enough. I don't know.
Speaker 3: Maybe the caddies that work there, but then put them in the tournament situation and that changes.
Speaker 2: You know, Nothing about that place makes me feel feel very comfortable. I mean, I love the golf course, my favorite golf course in the world. But it's it's definitely the most challenging golf course for caddies and the biggest tournam of the year. I don't know, I get nervous during the practice routes just caddying.
Speaker 3: I mean, it's unbelievable the fans are screaming during practice routes and not screaming, but like they're in every shot during practice routes sometimes.
Speaker 1: So what's more difficult has caddies to figure out around the gusta the greens or the wind? Because I think some of the great shots at Augusta are on that twelfth hole where they're in the lead and they're standing there and they're trying to So you both agree that it's the wind.
Speaker 3: I'd say it's more important for us to know the wind than where the where the break around the green is because at least the player you know he can hit the putt and they and they play so much and they hit so many practice What.
Speaker 1: Are the hardest places on that golf course to gauge the wind? Front?
Speaker 2: For me, that's six t is sneaky because you can't ever feel the wind there and straight down hills the balls up in the air. The part three six, and I don't know, I just don't ever feel the way twelve is obviously.
Speaker 3: The most famous, means said some reason six You just can't You can't feel any win there.
Speaker 2: And it's a t shot where you need to control the distance and it's ratten. I mean it's so downhill. I mean it's got to play what ten down or something like that. Yeah, for sure, And I don't know. I think that that one's always a tough one to give him a number to commit to.
Speaker 1: Are there places on the golf course, guys in the fair ways for second shots?
Speaker 2: That second shot on fifteen, it is a good one with the windows.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, so you're trying to be elevated.
Speaker 3: Shots, I mean personally just me, but fourteen as well, like the second shot in fourteen had some close calls there or just sometimes.
Speaker 2: You gotta be a number because you come up a little short.
Speaker 3: Yeah, on that right pin when we won, we kept it short of the pin. I mean there's maybe four feet over and it's like not a good caddy number, but definitely got a little bit of luck. And I think around there sometimes you need a little bit of luck. Every everyone who's won there has maybe a little bit of luck somewhere.
Speaker 1: Because it is because of the green complexes and the way that they're designed, and some of the pin positions that they can put pins at Augusta are so difficult to get to the numbers that you guys are talking about the difference between being one or two yards out. You can have catastrophic situations happened to where like when they put that pin back right on AJ you were talking about the six the part three back right, there's probably only five five steps to land that you can be posing on one and it comes up a yard short and then you are down all the way down and you're struggling to make both you.
Speaker 2: Got one hundred foot but at left is where you end up. Yeah, you've landed at four paces from the pen. Now you got a one hundred foot two point Yeah, it's yeah, it's yeah, that's what I'm saying. That's one. You got to be spot on with the number, and you can't really fill a win there. It's just just a tricky.
Speaker 1: Little Obviously, the obvious places at Augusta that you have to pick up shots are the par fives, the second hole, the eighth hole, thirteen and fifteen. How important and is that something that you think is in the players heads, But is that something that's in your guys' heads where you say, okay, God, we know this is a very difficult golf course, but we have four chances here. Talk to me about the par fives, because that's where you can make a statement, I think as players. I mean, I know when you guys won, you guys played the par fives, Well, same with you. How important are the four par five? And when you don't make a birdie there? Is it hard not to feel like, man, that was a mischance.
Speaker 2: Well, I mean that you used to feel like that. But they keep getting longer and longer every year, So I mean it's yeah, I mean thirteen, I don't know how many how many guys went for it since they moved that te I mean, if you don't have to draw and kind of sling it around that corner, it's I just don't see that. I don't think it's worth going for it with three wood in your hand all the trouble up there. And same with I mean, they moved fifteen back. I've heard they moved two back this year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, back in a little left. But it brings that that bunker now is like a little bit it used to be closer. So I'm kind of happy about.
Speaker 2: It because I just don't know how many of them are going to be reachable for if they play them all the way back.
Speaker 3: To be reachable for sure. Eight eight is one that if you make a paw on, I'm never too upset about for us because that fairway is always given us trouble. So I'm happy to hit the fairway and get a look for Bertie. I don't want to like scramble for a par there, but that one I'm not too But once you make that turn after twelve, like you said, once you get past twelve, that's when I feel like I want to kind of step on the gas in the year like but now, I mean, things have changed. Don't get comfortable, as we said earlier, do you guys? Keep you not comfortable?
Speaker 1: Not given the situation, Because everybody says the back nine begins on Sunday on the tent pole, right, everybody says that always at Augusta, and everyone knows the drama around there, but excluding the drama that you know is out there, Which nine do you think, just from a pure playing standpoint, not from a situation standpoint, because obviously trying to win on the back nine at Augusta and get a green jacket is always more difficult on the back nine just because of the situation. But do you guys feel that there's a side, the front or the back that you guys think is easier, harder just in your head?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know. If one size pretty bad.
Speaker 3: I mean I feel like you get, you know, kind of one and two, even though one sneaky, but one and two is like a nice all right, here we go. Three. I mean, you could see some really good numbers there, you could birdy it, but it's it's a dirty little green too. Four, then five, I mean, hitch, I feel like, you know, four and five hitch you. And then it's like you're kind of on and then you say six the t shot. But then seven kind of gives you a little bit of a break if you have a wedge in especially like that right then you bring it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but it's in everybody, I accomplish you that.
Speaker 3: But then eight, it's like, all right, part five, so you're always thinking there's a chance for birdie there. Nine's pretty tough on the second shot. I feel like, depending on.
Speaker 1: Where you're driving is because you can be hitting off the downslope or if you can get it down to the flat.
Speaker 3: For sure, but anything in the fairway from there, I mean, I think I want to say that it's more of a second shot hole that's you know, and then ten I feel like can be kind of a break. But then you hit eleven, twelve and then thirty easy holes out now we're just talking are less hard.
Speaker 1: Than Okay, this is a little bit of a break.
Speaker 2: I mean between the park, like you said, the par five and you throw you throw in three in there and you throw in you know, I mean, these guys are so good sixteen and twelve or or you know, seven iron and a wedge nine iron from twelve whatever, So you think you're thinking you should get looks on those holes. But then again, you know twelve, you know you can make up seven just as fast as you can make two. So it's but you think you think you're thinking you want to get good looks on those holes. There's been make stressful, stress free pars on all the other ones.
Speaker 1: Over the years. I think the poor threes at Augusta National throughout the history of the of the Championship have been where some of the great moments Tiger Jack, all of that. Out of the poor threes, which ones do you feel like are the hardest and which ones do you feel like if you had to rank them as hardest to easiest, which one would be the hardest and which ones which ones would be easy or four.
Speaker 2: Is one of the hardest part threes on the planet.
Speaker 3: People.
Speaker 1: The talk us through the fourth hole as a par three. So the distance that you play it, you guys can play it anywhere from what it's.
Speaker 2: Two forty from when they play it back and the right flag you got about three yard landing zone over the bunker. The bunkers fifteen feet deep. Can can't see the flag from when you're down in the bunker. The greens pitched at fifteen percent back to front. I mean it is just a munch.
Speaker 1: It's very difficult to hit the grind.
Speaker 2: I mean, yeah, in front flags you got you know it's six yards wide. You're trying to land a foreign I mean it's you just make your three and you run at fifteen.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean I feel like.
Speaker 1: Sixteen right sixteen when they put the Sunday pin where everybody is trying to make hold one. Sixteen all of a sudden becomes somewhat of an easy hole when they put the pin on Sunday.
Speaker 2: I mean on that golf course, you feel like, yeah.
Speaker 1: Like a right pin that they tend to put sometimes on Friday, where it's up on that shelf back right.
Speaker 3: That's listen. I'm just gonna put some respect on twelve because I don't want the golf God's mad at me just because of the wind. But also, I mean, you're right four, I'd say, I'd say sixteen definitely is. I would say if there's an easy is the easiest one to give you, it's just that's got to be it, And then the hardest is I think all player dependent. But I would think if you took like a pole out of the four, I think sixteen wins on that's that's probably the easiest one, most scorable one, probably the and probably has the most holding ones on it. So I'd say that's a good step in the half for.
Speaker 2: Making six the front left pen that's an easy hole because you just hit it long right and let it come right right down to it. But yeah, six ball right, you're back right pin, it's a hard hole. Same one sixteen. If it's left pin, its feeds right down to it. It's a back right pen. One of the hardest shots on the golf course.
Speaker 3: I'm going to say twelve is just consistently the hardest, no matter what you mentioned.
Speaker 1: Twelve and how difficult I mean, and I don't think people have an understanding. Is one how short that hole is? I mean it plays max one twelve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's usually what one like thirty something, yeah one, it can play forty something.
Speaker 3: It can play from one twenty five to one fifty five.
Speaker 4: But it's crazy because you see someone only nine steps wide anyway.
Speaker 2: From my pitch. It's like a little chippy eight iron if it's into the lens.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you'll see someone hit the shot ten seconds before you hit. Let's say you know there. You know everyone knows everyone game pretty well for the most part. You play with them enough and you're like, oh, this guy just hit his his one forty five club and end up long. You're like, okay, well i'll hit one. I'll hit it one forty club and then you end up and you see a guy end up like short bunker and you're like, how is this even impossible?
Speaker 1: When the ball is in the air there as caddies, is that one of the most nervous because as soon as you're hitting, you're like, okay, please let us please, please, hopefully we got this right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's it's nerve I mean for pulling a wedge. It's it's one of the more nerve wrecking.
Speaker 3: It's one of the more satisfying greens to hit. When it hits the green, you're like, oh, maybe we birdied it on Sunday. By the way, it was a good I was that was probably one of my favorite birdies out there.
Speaker 2: Well, you look at the flag on eleven and it's bowling the complete opposite ways flag on twelve.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then you look at.
Speaker 2: The top of the tree trying to tell you, guy, just commit to this shot. Yeah, and he's asking you where the wind is and you have no You just got.
Speaker 3: To be confident though when you say it, because they can't sense doubt in your mind, in your voice.
Speaker 2: You give him your best guess and pray you're right.
Speaker 1: You both worked for players that won go through it individually. Keess and and a day. What did your player? What did what did Patrick? What did DJ? In your opinions, do well that week. So when you and Patrick won Kes, what did you feel like you guys did well? He did well for the week.
Speaker 3: For his game, I think he hit his off the t box with the driver. He is driver as good as I've ever seen him hit it, and it you know, if he's in the fairway and he's hitting consistently in the fairway, I think he's one of those dangerous guys out there. And I think he's proven that plenty of times. But that's that's something I remember, you know, in practice rounds Charlie. We played with Charlie and Brett Walman those first two days and Brett was like, man, boys driving the hell out of it, and I was like he is and sure enough, you know when we says that, you're not thinking we're gonna win. You're just thinking, man, he's hitting it good this week. And for me, that's always a big factor.
Speaker 1: Hey, J, what was DJ in your opinion doing really really well the week he won?
Speaker 2: Well? Obviously, if you win the Masters, you're doing everything really well. But you know, the year we won was it was in November and twenty twenty, so it was it was colder, it was soft, and I mean he obviously striked it really well, but he was just he was really in control of his distances. I mean I remember tell him a number and it seemed like he just he'd hit that number.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, especially and then then when it's soft too, because you know, you're flying everything. So yeah, he did everything well, but yeah, just really in control of his distances, just was on top of his game, stayed focused. I mean, it's funny. We were in there while he's hit his second shot on the green in eighteen on Sunday, and we're walking up the fairway and I hand him as putter and he kind of looks at me. It was kind of blank stare, and it's like, you know, how are we doing in the tournament?
Speaker 1: What do you mean?
Speaker 2: We got a BIRDI putt probably twenty feet. What are you talking about? He goes, no, No, like, like to our score? How are we dude? You got five shot lead? He went. He went the whole day without looking at one scoreboard. I mean, I don't know if he might. If you've been to Augusta, the scoreboards are massive, like a like a billboard on the side of the interstate, and I mean you're walking down the fairway five minutes past. These things, I don't know how you can't look at one, and he had no clue at all how we stood in the tournament when after he hit a second shot into the eighteenth green.
Speaker 1: It's also the type of golf course if you've ever been there, you know when things are happening on the golf course. Yeah, that is one of the cool things about it.
Speaker 2: Well, there were no fans, so usually you can hear all the other roars from the birdies and stuff we were out there, but there were the year we played there weren't any fans allowed, so it's ka it was a little strange, and he didn't have the roars of Augusta, so it was a little weird in that sense. But when the pressure was still there, trust me.
Speaker 1: But when the patrons are there, there are distinct roars from you know, the Tiger rar, you know the Phil roy, you know the Rory roar. There are certain players around that course the fans that that take to them when they do things you can kind of know it's coming.
Speaker 2: You know, a birdie and an eagle roar too. A difference in.
Speaker 3: Our whole day. I mean, it was Ricky and Jordan right throwing a bunch of roars right in front of us, just added pressure, just more like I'm like, yeah, like I really need this right now. And you can just hear it every time, and you know, seventeen, I think Ricky had maybe he almost hold out he heard it. And then of course on like you know, we make a great par on seventeen and I'm thinking, all right, two shot league going into eighteen, and I I swear as soon as I set the bag down on the tea box, you hear ror on eighteen. And I look over and someone's like, Ricky just burdy at eighteen, and I'm like, all right, well, Shotley, he would go Parski. You know, Parski are better, and as we know, the rest is history.
Speaker 1: When you're walking up that eighteenth fairway, I can't even imagine what it would be like for a player, but for you guys as caddies. I mean, everybody obviously as a player wants to win it Augusta, but I would think from a caddy stamp, I know, certainly as an instructor, as a coach, the fact that I've been lucky enough to work with DJ and he's won around Augusta for me is one of the great accomplishments of my career when you all are walking up that eighteenth and you both got to do it to where you were a little different to where you had to make a par But there must be a moment on that eighteenth green where you get I know you were crying aj before he but it's got to be this over just just oversensory of just like geez, just can't believe we did that. I mean, what was that moment like after the winning putt goes in and you realize that you're standing on the eighteenth green at Augusta with the player agent, You're there with your brother, you're there with your I mean a player, and it's it's got to just be unbelievable feeling.
Speaker 3: I mean woke up for the next two weeks saying it was a dream, no joke, Like was like that really did happen. That really did happen. And the weight that comes up like just lifts off your shoulders. For me personally, if there's any if I could have one major in my whole career as a caddy, that would be my one, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we grew up an hour down the street. So you know, when we were kids, every putt, you know, for we had to go home whatever it was the window masters, and you know that's just been a dream of ours forever. And then to do it and be on the bag for the big bro, it's a yeah. I mean I couldn't hold back.
Speaker 3: I started Hell, I almost cried I was watching it.
Speaker 2: I mean I just remember, not like I couldn't stop smiling for like three four days afterwards. It's just yeah, like you said, big relief, sheer joy.
Speaker 1: And I think because the golf course, it's the same golf course, because we know.
Speaker 2: What the tradition, the tradition.
Speaker 1: Do you feel like as a as a caddy, as as and the player as a team when you win there that you're you're almost like, I know, you don't want to jinx it. But we figured it out this week. We figured it out on the most difficult golf course. Not to say that we've got this figured out forever going forward, but there must be that sense of relief as a player, as the team of looking at each other on that eighteenth green and going that is the most difficult test there is to win around that golf course with all the history, there must be that sense that we figured it out this week and we got it done this week.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, I felt like you cracked the code on a state. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, especially from caddies, because it is the most challenging both physically and mentally. And you know that you do. You do feel like a huge sense of accomplishment when you when you are successful around that place because it is so challenging.
Speaker 1: Well, I know you both can't wait to get there, and hopefully there's more green jackets available for you guys, But I think to win around that place is pretty special, and for you two to do it is, Uh, it's got to be pretty special for you guys.
Speaker 2: Thanks for talking to us, thanks for having us appreciate you.
Speaker 1: So I think that was just some fantastic insight from A J and Kessler, And I think you can hear them talking about what it's like to be on the bag. And I've been going to the Masters, you know, really, I think the first year I went to the Masters with nineteen eighty seven, my grandfather was still alive. But it is such a special place. But as a coach, you're nervous when you're there. You're nervous about what's going to happen, and I can't even imagine what I mean, I can't imagine what it would be like to play, but to carry the bag and be on the bag for a player that wins a green jacket. I think it is pretty special and I think you'll you can hear that in the way that Kessler and AJ talk about it. I think it's I think it's super, super exciting. I think everybody I think we need a major, I really do. I think with everything going on in professional golf, I think we need a major to kind of just get everybody talking about golf. And hopefully at Augusta next week, we're talking more about golf than we're not talking about golf, and we're talking about what's going on on the golf course, and hopefully we not hopefully, I know we will see some great golf. I think we have some great players peaking at a right time. And I think this Masters, the twenty twenty four edition, I think it is going to be something special. I for one, am looking forward to it. I'll be flying up there Sunday night after the Live Miami Tournament, so I can't wait to get up there. I want to thank everyone for listening. Son of a Butch comes to you every Wednesday. We will see you next week.