Speaker 1: Hey, besties, Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 2: Today on the bright Side, we're popping off undition on the biggest pop culture moments of the week with comedian Rachel Samples.
Speaker 1: Do you cry in the shower like Benny Blanco?
Speaker 2: Move over texting our voice notes the new way to communicate, and we'll get to the bottom of the age old question. Is love truly blind? It's Friday, February twenty First, I'm Danielle Robe and.
Speaker 3: I'm Simone Boyce and this is the bright Side from Hello Sunshine, Happy Friday, Danielle. I am so happy to see that you're feeling and sounding better.
Speaker 1: Yep, a little bit, thank you. You know it's wild.
Speaker 2: The CDC just announced that this is the worst flu season since two thousand and nine, and judging by what I had this week, I believe it thirty million Americans, including yours, truly have gotten sick.
Speaker 4: Crazy.
Speaker 3: So here's the question, will you beget the flu shot next season? Because I did not get a flu shot. I actually never really get a flu shot, but I definitely did get the flu.
Speaker 1: You got the flu this year?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Like January?
Speaker 2: Oh man, you know what, We're all going to be chugging Vitamin C and vitamin D and zinc and all the things.
Speaker 3: All of that stuff helps, but you know what they say, laughter is the best medicine. So hopefully our guest today can help us get back on track.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well. Joining us today is the hilarious Rachel Samples. We had so much fun with her last time she was on the show. We knew we had to have her back.
Speaker 1: Rachel, Welcome back to the bright Side.
Speaker 5: Oh, happy to be back. Hey Danielle, Hey Simon, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 4: Two timers. Get an air horn. Oh we get an airhorn. Yeah, I love that. I love that. That's all good.
Speaker 3: All right, bestie is if you are not already following Rachel, what are you doing with your life? She's so silly and we love that so much. We talked about your impressions and your dad videos the last time you were here, and then week we saw you dressed up as George Washington and a leprechaun to film a sketch as a plate's instructor. How do you come up with these ideas like take me into your inspiration your creative process.
Speaker 5: Okay, that sketch in particular is very much inspired by Peloton that I feel like every time I open that app. They have somehow taken a like level B national holiday and made an entire themed class out of it, And I was like, what if we just took this to a different place of like President's Day truly becoming a president George Washington coded for the class and just ran with it that way, just like a heightened insane Zaney version of it.
Speaker 1: Wait, a level B national holiday is very funny.
Speaker 4: You know what I mean?
Speaker 5: Like I feel like, like, yes, it's there, but like Arbor Day, Yeah, what yah?
Speaker 4: I know it's tree.
Speaker 5: Adjacent, tree related, but I'm like, we never really go hard for Arbor Day, probably the way we should, but at like a level B.
Speaker 3: I feel like, to do what you do, Rachel, you have to completely be okay with like the the cringe factor and like making fun of yourself like in public. When were you able to like kind of lose that fear of being judged while filming these videos.
Speaker 5: I actually think something changed when I like am in my like dad character because I feel like I'm not really me and therefore I can't like get in trouble and things like that. But I still have a little bit of, like I guess humility. I got kicked out of a Trader Joe's trying to film a sketch.
Speaker 4: They were like, boom.
Speaker 5: And when I get I'm like a rule follower truly, but I feel like for these fits, I'll push it and like try to get in places and things like that. But Trader Joe's was like, girl, you gotta go. It's like all right, all right, I get it.
Speaker 4: I get it.
Speaker 5: What were you wearing when they kicked you out? Oh my god, that was a It was a sketch I was playing. It was a seasonal sketch, but Pumpkins manager. So I was going into Trader Joe's and like, look how good I am at my job. All these pumpkined you know, treats and candles and all that jazz. And it was like within minutes it was almost like security, like secret service level.
Speaker 4: Boom. Trader Joe's was on it.
Speaker 5: I was like, okay, I'm out paying, but yeah, you just have to just go in like you're focused on the bit and nothing else, and you know, see when it comes of it.
Speaker 1: Were you affected by the foe TikTok ban at all?
Speaker 5: Oh that was a hard twenty five minutes. Yeah, I mean that was a ride. I was like, Okay, I'm just gonna keep on keeping on on other plates, like you know, Instagram, which is probably you know, really like focus on YouTube and things like that.
Speaker 4: But I was sad because I feel like you just find so many gems on there.
Speaker 5: Even like I was chatting with my girlfriend and we were like, wait, that's literally how we find places to travel, That's how we like know where to eat the cop like just the search of it all. I was just bummed with that. And then of course just like finding funny funny people.
Speaker 1: The discoverability. I agree with you.
Speaker 2: It's also sort of this like un nderground feminist network I've found.
Speaker 1: Do you find that at all?
Speaker 4: Continue?
Speaker 5: I'm nodding heavily, yes. Continue.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Like it's really talk about girls supporting girls and women supporting women like TikTok is that, And it's sort of like this web of information.
Speaker 3: I want to get on that side of the algorithm because I feel like I just I get sent like weird like satire and like cooking videos and I don't know, like just weird stuff.
Speaker 4: Okay, can I be salty for a second? Yep? Yeah? Are we allowed now to laugh?
Speaker 3: At the videos of people crying over the TikTok ban or is it too soon?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: I think you absolutely should okay, okay, and hopefully those people.
Speaker 4: Are self aware about it.
Speaker 5: My friend Becca was literally doing a live singing amazing Grace when TikTok shut down, Like she was so emotional over going away, but like she's owning how cringe that was.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: What I thought was really funny was all of the people spilling their secret right before TikTok left, and then TikTok stayed and we knew all their secrets. Like some people were talking about the peptides or the semi glue tides they were on. Some people were talking about not being in a real relationship, or like fitness influencers saying I don't actually work out, and then all of a sudden it all went away.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I feel like we need a documentary on that, Like we need like a Netflix documentary on that.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I can't believe some people just like showed their cards, like fitness influencers being like I never even like worked out day in my life, things like that.
Speaker 4: I did hear that. That's wild?
Speaker 3: All right, you guys. I think it's time to officially pop off Cool. First up on the docket today, Benny Blanco and Selena Gomez are gracing the cover of Interview Magazine's March issue.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you guys have seen the picks, but there are some snaps of the engaged couple that have really taken over our feeds this week, and they're in these matching oversized suits. They actually look really cute, Like I want to borrow that look. I'm always here for a mendsor look. In addition to this photo shoot, they also answered some questions for Interview Magazines TikTok, and Benny got open about his shower habits. So he revealed that he doesn't shower every day, which I personally don't find that controversial, Like I don't shower every day, but he says that when he does, he sits there for a long time and he just like uses the time to like contemplate life, and that sometimes that leads to crying in the shower. Is this concept foreign to you, guys or is this something that like you do in the shower too?
Speaker 4: Do you guys cry in the shower?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: I love a shower crying.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Okay, tell me take me into.
Speaker 2: That the tear does just wipe away with the with the shower head, the faucet, the water. Yeah, I just feel like it's like really cathartic to cry in the shower sometimes. And also if you, like, if you have kids or somebody else in your apartment and you don't want them to hear you crying, it's a great place to hide and cry.
Speaker 4: That's true. That's true.
Speaker 5: I haven't done a I don't think I've done a cry and a shower, But I love an emotional stare, Like I just you know, you just find that spot and you're just gonna zone out and just let that water run. You don't know, time, space doesn't matter, but just that locked in like the contemplating thing.
Speaker 4: I totally understand. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I don't think we talk about the power of showering enough, like showers are truly transformative. We actually talked about this on the show recently, Danielle. It was it was a suggestion from an expert. When you're looking for a sensory change, like when you need to switch out of like a negative mindset into a better mindset.
Speaker 4: Take a shower. Yeah. I really feel like the shower is the cure for everything. It absolutely is.
Speaker 2: I had a boyfriend cheat on me one time and I called my dad crying and he was like, Danielle, go for.
Speaker 1: A run or hop in the shower. That was his advice to me.
Speaker 2: And I was so mad at the time, and in hindsight I get what he was saying.
Speaker 1: It was like, switch up your energy. A shower can cure so much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, which one did you end up doing? Do you remember?
Speaker 1: Neither?
Speaker 2: I hung up being so mad, and I think I like, drove home and ate a hamburger or something nice?
Speaker 4: Nice? Nice?
Speaker 1: Which one would you choose?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 5: I feel like And that's in that context, I probably have too much roth hot top that I would need to go on a run like DMX. Like Rachel, I know you're a big fan of the dolphin shower too. Love a dolphin shower?
Speaker 3: Yes, once again, explain to our listenership what a dolphin shower is.
Speaker 5: So a dolphin shower for those who shave, is just like like I'm going in and I'm coming out different, Like I'm the better two point zero version of myself. Doesn't matter how much time it takes. But this is like I've been building for weeks I'm like ready to lock in and start a new a phoenix rising from the ashes if you will.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 5: You know what's interesting too in the Benny Blanco thread is I feel like I keep seeing news of Benny Blanco in like in the bathroom because for Valentine's Day he filled the tub. Did you guys see this with nacho cheese?
Speaker 4: No? I missed this one.
Speaker 5: Oh this was like literally like he put chips. This was on Instagram. He put chips leading like cookie crumb trail to the bathtub that he filled with cheese.
Speaker 2: Because that's such a rich person. It is, because like, who's going to clean up the cheese? That's all I can think about.
Speaker 5: Right, I mean from start to finish. You think of the assistant that had to go do that, go run and get that, do the supplies. It was probably a rogue idea, I mean the execution, start to finish. But I'm like, wow, they keep coming up in the news a lot. We're bathtub and now we're shower focused. They must have like multiple bathroom sweets that they're just hanging in.
Speaker 3: I'm lactose and tolerant, so I have hives just thinking about a bathtub filled with nacho cheese. It's not for me, But are you guys criers in general? Like Rachel, I know we're all huge Wicked fans here. Did you sob during the movie? And is that something that you do on the regular when a movie like gets in your feels?
Speaker 5: I actually had like a body chills, and just because like we're girls here, like truly pouring and sweat with the finale. I don't know what it was, like a different moisture release, but I was like, oh my, I got like physically worked up, Like wow, I was very sweaty.
Speaker 4: So not normally a crier. It's like, not.
Speaker 5: Normally a crier. I'm really excited for the two other listeners who got sweaty during Wicked and didn't cry.
Speaker 4: Just trying to create a safe space. Danielle, how about you, Simon?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 5: I don't know why I asked that. I know this answer by now, daniel is a big cry I love that. But I didn't cry during Wicked. Surprisingly, wow.
Speaker 3: And you know what's funny, I'm not normally a crier, but I sobbed like five year old temper tantrum sobbed during Wicked.
Speaker 4: It was like heaving. Was it all?
Speaker 1: Did it hid in you?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Or where when was it?
Speaker 5: It? Was it that crescendo at the end, Yes, the crescendo, but uh, that.
Speaker 3: Moment whoa, yes exactly. For me, it was like the instant that I saw munchkin Land, like the very first scene.
Speaker 4: After the races. Yeah, off to the races.
Speaker 3: I'm going to try my best to explain this, but I was crying because of the excellence, the excellent, like the artistic excellence, and I think for me as a theater kid, like growing up singing these songs, rehearsing these songs, I just felt so tapped into our community and like all of the collective dreams and hopes that are attached to this one property, and to see it brought to life in such a magnificent way, I was just like, Oh my gosh, that's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's so simon of you. I love that.
Speaker 4: I love that.
Speaker 5: I want to do the I want to hold your finger like the Oreana.
Speaker 4: I want to hold space. I want to yea.
Speaker 5: Listeners, listeners, the fingers are up and I'm trying to hold both space for this.
Speaker 3: We've got to take a quick break. But we'll be right back. We're back to popping off with Rachel Samples.
Speaker 2: Okay, I came across this Time magazine article that caught my attention. It's called why Voice notes Are a Small act of Love. First of all, I do think they're a small act of love. But the writer talks about how voice notes helped her feel way more connected than texting during the pandemic.
Speaker 1: And she's not alone.
Speaker 2: According to a twenty twenty three you Gov poll, thirty percent of Americans are using voice messages weekly, daily, or even.
Speaker 1: Multiple times a day.
Speaker 2: That is a lot of people ditching texts for a little more voice to voice action.
Speaker 1: Are you a voicener?
Speaker 5: I really am, and I think it started. It started from a place of really trying to be better about not texting and driving, and I was like, you know what, let me just throw let's do the adult walkie talkie and do the voice note and like.
Speaker 4: Gap that way. But it was real talky. It truly is.
Speaker 1: You know, I'm in for an adult wat.
Speaker 4: Adult walky talkie.
Speaker 2: I tried to get Simone to get her husband alwaukie talkie for Valentine's Day and she laughed in my face.
Speaker 4: Well, because it was so incredibly romantic.
Speaker 2: I mean, can you imagine, Yeah, but you could just voice note him it's the same thing, I guess.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's a little more like Gear Roger.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, men love Gear. Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think he may I don't know your husband, but may or may not have taken advantage of that, like just too much, too much with the Yeah, that's the prob.
Speaker 4: Totally love a voice note.
Speaker 5: I also think it makes stories exponentially funnier. Tea feels heightened like drama, everything, and there's always just a through line where it doesn't even matter.
Speaker 4: What the voice note is. I think it in.
Speaker 5: Our brains makes us react as if it's like a very flirty thing, even if it's not. You know what I mean, Like you took a level of coolness to give me a voice note. I think it like, well, scientists will study it. But the voice note, I think, just feels inherently flirty. I don't know why.
Speaker 1: Is it thoughtfulness or sleuthiness?
Speaker 2: Because sometimes I think a voice note is because you don't want to put something in writing, which I understand. Oh true, I've seen the Blake Lively justin Baldoni one hundred and forty one page lawsuit.
Speaker 1: I understand why you'd want a voice note.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I think you're onto something, Rachel. I think there's something whether it's flirty or romantic or just more human about voice notes. I crave hearing other people's voices in the digital age, Like I miss the days when you would just yap on the phone with your friends for like three hours, like when we were growing up, you know, like that was so fun. And I feel like we never nobody ever talks on the phone anymore, nobody ever picks up the phone. So I'll take a voice note. I will say, though I have I have limits. I have boundaries, Like I have this one friend who sends me God bless, She's gonna know exactly she is when as I'm talking about this, she sends me these stream of consciousness voice notes that are like, you know, like three minutes long, and like she's trying to tell me a story. But there's like new characters are coming in. They're making entrances and exits. It's happening in real time at her son's soccer game, and I'm like, WHOA, I can't.
Speaker 4: Follow all of this.
Speaker 3: I love like I love a brief you know powerful concise voice note.
Speaker 4: You know, yes, what's your time limit?
Speaker 3: I'll give you. I think forty seconds. I think forty seconds is perfect.
Speaker 1: That's not enough. That's not enough.
Speaker 4: It's not enough.
Speaker 1: Forty seconds is nothing.
Speaker 5: But sometimes it's fun when it rolls into the next one. So you've got like a forty, a fifteen, and an eight, and like, you know, the eight it's just gonna be like a silly send off, and you're like, yeah, I can't wait to.
Speaker 4: Get to the eight. That's me. That's me.
Speaker 2: Well, do you guys ever leave voicemails anymore? Because part of me feels like this voice note generation is novel for gen Z they just don't know what voice messages were.
Speaker 5: Very rarely for a voicemail. And then I feel like most of the time I'm not even listening to it. I'm reading a transcript of it to just scroll through and be like, oh worth listening to Maybe I'll.
Speaker 4: Follow up whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, But I do feel sometimes with those long, long voice notes with a narrative arc and multiple characters, it feels like it's almost like a little bit more on the assignment side, and there's like multiple questions asked within it that you're like, I think I covered up in my response on like two out of nine, Like, yes, yeah, it can be stressful, but I feel like it's playful for the most part.
Speaker 3: My toxic trait has always been voicemails. It's something that I've always struggled with, and I get so many aggressive messages from people being like, hey left you a voicemail trying to get in touch with you, and I'm like, listen, we've I just feel like, as a society, we've.
Speaker 4: Evolved past the voicemail. Can we just can we put it to rest?
Speaker 3: Either text me, email me, or send me a voice note At this point.
Speaker 5: Yes, in the case that you do have to leave a voicemail, maybe this is something that resonates with you too. But I feel like I copy the voice that I heard my parents do when I was younger.
Speaker 4: Yes, I'm like, okay, this is Rachel Samples.
Speaker 5: I'm just giving you a call, getting a call back, and you're going to repeat the number back Like technology like doesn't need you to do that anymore. But I'm following the script that I heard when I was.
Speaker 4: Like eight years old.
Speaker 2: Yes, it's so true, so weird, Rachel, that is so spot on very strange.
Speaker 1: I do it all the time, specifically and like.
Speaker 2: Not professional settings, but like where I'm dealing with a work person, Like I'm like I need like my refrigerator fixed, and I'm like, please call me back at three one, four five two, and it's like you have my number.
Speaker 5: Yep, No, but like we are stuck in time. It is nineteen ninety seven, and you are going to come over and fix it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Yeah, it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Have you guys ever accidentally sent a voice memo because.
Speaker 4: I have oh wait, say more, Like.
Speaker 2: Sometimes your phone just presses like send and you don't realize you're and it's like, oh, it just recorded white noise or it recorded me peeing.
Speaker 1: And like that's horrible and you can't really understand that.
Speaker 5: Yeah's are you two the type of people like if you're gonna like maybe like tell a story, talk shit, et cetera, you're like phone check in other room, laptop clothes, seal it up, put it away. I have friends who are like, I'm like, sorry, the CIA is not listening in on you, like this is a this is such a dumb story. But they'll lock up all technology to avoid any of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm that friend, I'm paranoid about it. I think blame being a news reporter where there's always like hot mics around, you start to get really aware of it.
Speaker 4: And I was.
Speaker 3: I came up during the Access Hollywood tape times like, you know it's not gonna be me.
Speaker 4: You're not gonna catch me on no tape. I love that, okay.
Speaker 3: Next up, the hit Netflix show Love Is Blind is and since it's launched, it's been trying to answer the age old question when it comes to love, do looks matter?
Speaker 4: Aka? Is love really blind?
Speaker 3: And this season there's a contestant named Daniel Hastings who's sharing his thoughts on the social experiment and he's actually getting pretty vulnerable at.
Speaker 4: About his height too.
Speaker 3: So he's five foot eight and he says that his height is the biggest barrier to finding love, and he says it's really why he stayed single for the last ten years, and he hopes that going on the show might allow him to meet someone who's not going to consider it a deal breaker. So, before we dig into the short king of it all, do you guys think love is really blind?
Speaker 5: I think it's a beautiful blend of like a lot of factors, but physical attractions a huge pillar, you know, Like I think you have to physically connect, emotionally connect mentally, all those all those things. I think it's a huge, a huge factor. I mean, I just feel like there's so many stories you can be on. Love is blind of like catfish and things like that, Like you're sold, you're sold a little bit on a picture, but really like the communication and getting along with that person. But like, it's definitely a.
Speaker 4: Factor, daniel.
Speaker 2: If you look at my dating history, I would say love is blind.
Speaker 1: I feel as if it is an energy and a vibe for me. I've dated people.
Speaker 2: Of almost any and every race, ethnicity, religion. Like if you were to be like, what's Danielle's type, you'd be hard pressed to find a physical manifestation of that. But I do think you could maybe put a few personality traits into boxes there. I do think this is very individual. Though some people really do have a type.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is why I have a hard time with dating apps because I can't catch a vibe virtually.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like I'm such a personality person.
Speaker 2: You could win me over with like incredible uh knowledge of literature, which I can't tell over a dating app.
Speaker 3: You know, I feel like we're conflating two things here though, because you're saying you don't have a type. But I think the question is like, does physical attraction matter to you? Like, have you ever dated someone who you weren't physically attracted to in the beginning but you were able to still make that relationship work?
Speaker 4: Slow Burn?
Speaker 2: No physical attraction really matters. But I will tell you I've dated some really esthetically unattractive people who I have been attracted.
Speaker 4: To some hear me out.
Speaker 1: I mean it's an understatement.
Speaker 4: That hear me out cake is lit. Yeah, there's different levels to hear me out. It's like the next level up is like, oh right, now take a seat.
Speaker 1: Just Yeah.
Speaker 2: There was a guy that I dated who was like really not esthetically what people would find appealing, But he made a cocaw.
Speaker 1: Ceremony for us on a date and taught me.
Speaker 2: About where the chocolate traveled from, the cocou traveled from, and I was like, and told me about the moon phases and how my period was gonna, you know, like act on certain moon phases, and I was in.
Speaker 4: Did he also say grand Rising?
Speaker 1: No he didn't.
Speaker 4: Okay, did you wear matching robes for the date.
Speaker 1: I wish that would have been a cool thing.
Speaker 3: Did he also wear those shoes that have the toe holes the toe grip?
Speaker 1: No, but he built his own deck into panga.
Speaker 5: Oh the topanga of it all makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 4: Yeah that makes sense.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, wow, Okay, Now I have to know why it didn't Why didn't it work out?
Speaker 2: I think he asked me to go camping and I was really not into that.
Speaker 3: Oh that's so funny. That would have been like, yes, I'm down, let's go. Canny's dropping right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the camping was a nogo for me.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: The Penga's got a far too.
Speaker 1: It's so far.
Speaker 4: It's a long distance relationship and la Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 5: The height thing is a big thing for like my single gals and even from a like from a Game one and POV. I've had conversations about this where like I always want to be like taller. Oh interesting, like I've never been attracted to like someone a woman who is taller than me.
Speaker 4: Rachel, how tall are you? Five eight? But for listeners six to six?
Speaker 3: You have tall girl energy, Like I know you are tall tall? Yeah, yeah, try try dating at six feet tall? It was not easy.
Speaker 1: Did you have a height requirement? Did you only date people taller than you?
Speaker 3: For the most part, there were a couple that slipped through the cracks. But it's yeah, I think this is gonna sound shallow, maybe controversial, whatever, but I agree Rachel, like, I don't think that I could date someone who's like shorter than me. My husband and I are same height when I'm not wearing heels, and let's be honest, I don't really wear heels that much of my thirties. I don't mind being taller than him when I'm out and wearing heels, but on the regular.
Speaker 4: I just don't know if I could do it. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm five to one, so if someone's shorter than me, we have a problem.
Speaker 5: I also feel like there's a population of women who date athletes that I swear every single one of these women is between five feet tall and five to three and they are leaping heights ahead to the six eight six.
Speaker 4: ' nine guy, And I'm like, wow.
Speaker 5: Like just that's juxtaposition is just like wild to me.
Speaker 3: So many questions there, A lot of questions come to mind. Yes, absolutely, logistical questions. Mainly, yeah, it's good doctor on.
Speaker 2: It's time for another short break, but we'll be right back with Rachel Samples. And we're back with Rachel Samples. I'd love to chat through one last story with you guys.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: Variety magazine, which is an entertainment industry stander, just put out a list of the one hundred greatest TV performances of the twenty first century. So before I reveal the top ones, do you have any guesses? What are your favorite TV characters from the past twenty five years.
Speaker 3: I already know this list is going to be upsetting, Like I'm going to be angry because these lists are always rage bait. Yeah, get yep, They're never accurate. I mean, for me, I would say the cast of Arrested Development has got to be on there. I would say Breaking Bad has got to be on there. I would say Sex and the City has got to be on there.
Speaker 5: Thinks Sopranos related on there for sure. Oh I would love to see up Parks and Rack there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Michael Scott yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 1: Okay, guys, I have I have some bad news.
Speaker 2: Uh oh, there's not one character from the Sopranos on this list, which was probably the biggest surprise for me too.
Speaker 5: Wow, White Lotus is probably sneaking on there.
Speaker 1: That's a great point. White Lotus should definitely sneak on there. I'm gonna run through the list with you and tell me what you think.
Speaker 4: Are you gonna go ten to one?
Speaker 6: Oh?
Speaker 1: Sure, I'll do that? Yeah, yeah, Okay.
Speaker 2: Ten is Sandra Oh as doctor Christina Yang Gray's Anatomy Okay. Nine is ray Seahorn as Kim Wexler Better Call Saul. Eight is Andre Brower as Captain Raymond hold Brooklyn ninety nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Seven is Carrie Koon is Norah Durst The Leftovers. Six is Michael Kenneth Williams as Omar Little The Wire. That's a great one facts. Number five is Brian Cranston as Walter White Breaking Bad.
Speaker 3: He's got to be away, got to be way up higher than number five.
Speaker 2: Number four is Lisa Kudro as Valerie Cherish The Comeback.
Speaker 4: Amazing. I need to watch that. People talk about that all the time, Rachel, you would love it. I heard is amazing. It's hilarious. I'm happy with that placement.
Speaker 2: Then number three is Elizabeth Moss as Peggy Olsen on Madmen. Iconic character. Number two is Jeremy Strong as Kendall Roy succession.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'll take it. I'll accept it.
Speaker 1: And number one Julia Louis Dreyfus as Selena Meyer VI.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: John Hamm isn't on the list for Don Draper, which I thought was shocking. Also, no Sex in the City mentioned.
Speaker 4: No Kerrie Bradshaw.
Speaker 1: I mean, who made this list?
Speaker 4: This is wild? This wild? Yeah, I wonder how you really.
Speaker 5: I mean it's so subjective obviously, but like how are they judging that based off of like the the range of the character, how original it is. Things like that, Like Kendall Roy, I can understand because that was like a ride of performance with him. So many of those on that list.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were some women, some strong female performances that got a shout out. Phoebe waller Bridge for Fleabag Jeans Smart as Deborah Vance for Hacks, which.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's one of my favorites.
Speaker 2: Yeah, America Ferrera as Betty Suarez, Ugly, Betty Kerrie Washington as Olivia Pope, Okay, we love that. Jen Garner is Sidney Bristow for Alias. Yeah, and then Alison Williams as Marnie for girls. I'm shocked that they chose Alison Williams.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, I think almost just had the same face on that we like really and.
Speaker 4: Elana Glazer made it on there too, right.
Speaker 1: Yeah that's your girl? Oh yeah broad City?
Speaker 4: Oh yeah.
Speaker 5: I gotta like revisit this list, maybe that like sparks some new shows, because I'm pretty much like White Lotus end up list.
Speaker 1: Are you watching season three?
Speaker 4: I am? I just started. Okay thoughts on the first episode.
Speaker 5: Coming into season three, it's gonna be hard without jen I'm a huge Abby Plaza fan. Those are Jennifer cool, which is a huge anger of that show, and like the comedy relief, but I think they're trying to find their lane comedic relief wise with the British girlfriend and like Australian woman who like works there, There's always got to be someone who like works there. I'm intrigued. I'm very intrigued, very uncomfortable by the Patrick Schwarzenegger sibling dynamic. But it's on purpose. It's meant to make you feel like, what the hell is going on?
Speaker 3: When that intro song dropped, I could just hear the collective disappointment around the world that we did not get our song.
Speaker 4: They changed the intro song. They changed the intro song.
Speaker 5: But the thing is, I feel like Mike White is gonna have some episode where there's some sort of clubbing party dance scene that that song will then pop off.
Speaker 4: I hope.
Speaker 2: So can I give you a fun fact that I just learned? Yes, So, Mike White, who's the creator of the show, was on Survivor, Okay, and he puts people from his Survivor cast in every season of White Lotus. You see them like eating, dining, like in these little moments. And I understanding that he was on Survivor made me really understand like the intricacies of the show more Like even the show open and the music.
Speaker 1: It's a very Survivor esque.
Speaker 2: So nobody's ever really done an interview where they ask him about his time on that show.
Speaker 5: He's one of those people, you know when you hear about influential figures from like the thirties, forties and fifties where they're like he was an actor and a mayor and a pilot and like all these things, and you're like, how on earth does someone have that range time, etc. And you're like, oh no, no, Mike White is that now he was on he was edgeable. He's a director, writer, beloved by everybody in such a home meat like truly all of Hollywood.
Speaker 4: I'm like, oh, that's him.
Speaker 3: Yep, He's a legend completely. Rachel Samples, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 4: Thank you so much for having me. This was great, really was Rachel.
Speaker 1: You're so fun.
Speaker 4: This is great. Always down to gab.
Speaker 2: Rachel Samples is a comedian and content creator. You can find her on social at Hey Free Samples.
Speaker 4: That's it for today show.
Speaker 3: On Monday, culinary expert Anthony Borowski is here. He's telling us all about his new Nagio celebrity travel series called No Taste Like Home Plus. We even do a little taste test simone style with a few protein forward snacks.
Speaker 4: Including my fave chicken chips. We'll see you then.
Speaker 6: Listen and follow the bright Side on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. The bright Side is a production of Hello, Sunshine and iHeart Podcasts and is executive produced by Reese Witherspoon.
Speaker 3: Production by Arcana Audio. Our producers are Jessica wenk Amy Padula and Laura neukom Our. Senior producers. It's Ahintaniya. Our engineer is PJ. Shaha Matt additional mixing help from Zach Schmidt.
Speaker 6: Arcana's executive producers are Francis Harlowe and Abby Ruzka.
Speaker 1: Arcana's head of production is Matt Schultz.
Speaker 3: Natalie Tullup and Maureen Polo are the executive producers for Hello Sunshine.
Speaker 6: Julia Weaver is the supervising producer, and Ali Perry is the executive producer for iHeart Podcasts. Tim Palazzola is our showrunner. This week's episodes were recorded by Graham Gibson and Joel Morales.
Speaker 3: Our theme song is by Anna Stump and Hamilton Lighthouser.
Speaker 6: Special thanks to Connell Byrne and Will Pearson.
Speaker 4: I'm Simone Boyce.
Speaker 3: You can find me at Simone Boyce on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 6: And I'm Danielle Robey on Instagram and TikTok.
Speaker 1: That's r O B A Y.
Speaker 4: We'll see you Monday, y'all. Keep looking on the bright side.