Speaker 1: Welcome to my show. I'm Rashon McDonald, a host of Money Making Conversations Masterclass, where we encourage people to stop reading other people's success stories and start planning your own. Now, you don't want to miss an episode, so please take a moment right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversations Masterclass. It's free. You can follow me on iHeartRadio, app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your podcast. New Money Making Conversations Masterclass episodes drop daily. I want to keep you on alert because my guests provide tips on how you can uplift your community, improve your financial planning, motivation, or advice on how to be a successful entrepreneur. Now, let's get this podcast started.
Speaker 2: My guests journey towards educational innovation and community impact took shape with the founder of The Simple View Academy SVA. The Simple View Academy is committed to building a school culture where students thrive academically and emotionally, just bridging the gap between education and entrepreneurship and shaping future leaders of tomorrow. Welcome to the Money Making Conversation master Class and why how.
Speaker 1: You doing ND I'm Okay, thank you for you know. Edward, that's fancy, fancy dancy last name there.
Speaker 3: Yes, my dad is Haitian songradulations.
Speaker 1: You had that foreign flavor working over here.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 2: Charter schools, Yes, I have another friend. He has a Utopia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's somebody I mentored when we were with Steve Harvey. I'm very proud of his charter school and they're growing. But I never asked this question. I've interviewed him several times on my show A Tezius And how do you start a charter school?
Speaker 3: Yes, starting a charter stu school is pretty complicated. There are two pathways in the state of Georgia. So I'll start by saying every state is different the way they do charter schools. In Georgia, you're either locally approved by your local school district or state approved by the State of Georgia. So you have to petition for your chart, which is basically a big kind of dissertation of your data, the research, the community interest for your charter school, and you go before a group of people, usually the Board of Education, and you petition for it. You bring your board, which is the people who govern and hold you responsible for what happens within the school, and then you guys kind of try to convince them to allow you to come into their system, either the traditional public school or the state side. We are a state approved school. We petitioned our local school districts, but they denied us. And then we went before the State of Georgia and the State Charter School Commission and they said, yeah, let's bring an entrepreneurship focused school into our fold. And we got approved in July twenty twenty four, and then we opened our doors August twenty twenty five.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's great, Thank you for explaining that to me. My thought process is there's local in their state, YEP, a local person, a local school district. If they approved you, it would almost seem like you're their acknowledging.
Speaker 1: They are not providing a skill set that you expect them to provide for their school. Correct. I wouldn't assume the students.
Speaker 3: What I would assume is that they want some type of innovation, maybe a smaller setting for a subpopulation of students. And yes, there might be some interest in the design of the school. Every charter school has some sort of niche, which is why it is an innovative school. So, for the simple view, our niche is entrepreneurship and financial literacy through a project based learning model.
Speaker 1: Now, entrepreneurship, let's talk about that. You know, everybody wants to be a business owner, people of color, having a clear understanding that there's life beyond the forty hour week job correct or manual label jobs, which you know we see at the forefront. That's what we see. We see. We don't see education beyond high school most of the There's a certain core students who do see it, but the majority of students just want to jump out. Yep. You have eighty students currently at your Let's walk on the sixth through the twelfth grade.
Speaker 3: Correct, Currently we just have six and seventh graders, seven, and we grow every grade, every grade level we add.
Speaker 4: Every year after that.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you started in twenty four, we started in two twenty five. Okay, cool, you were chartered in twenty twenty four, correct, And then you started in twenty twenty five, correct, And then.
Speaker 2: So every year you're adding another grade level. So you sixth through the seventh grade, correct right now?
Speaker 4: Okay, next year will be six through eight.
Speaker 1: The ultimate goal is six through twelve, correct, Okay? Cool. Just want to make sure we get the story the simple view correct as view with the you eat correct and why is that good question?
Speaker 3: View means to be seen and that is really big to me and the families that we service. Our core values also are spelled out with view voice A Buntu and empowerment are our core values. Voice because we really value our student in our community.
Speaker 1: Voice.
Speaker 3: A boom too means I am because we are. So we have a community feel we have to work together and then ease empowerment because we really truly believe that our young people know where they want to go, have passion driven work that they want to do, and we just need to be the guidance to get them.
Speaker 1: Boom to A boom too sounds like one of them dances.
Speaker 4: It comes from African culture.
Speaker 1: But when I hear that boot, I just say that, you know those dances those little kids get out there go They always make those kids dance those little dances. They just be with these carves. Let's be two of them out there, maybe three at the.
Speaker 2: Moment, just running from side of the state, this side of the state, that side of state. So it's a very emotional addition to the to to your pillows.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, because we serve as middle schoolers and as soon to be high schoolers, they need a lot of support socially and emotionally, and so our design has to be driven around keeping them safe emotionally as they journey through entrepreneurship.
Speaker 4: It's hard.
Speaker 3: Entrepreneurship is not a truly state career choice. You have to be pretty mentally stable and mostly stable to actually be successful.
Speaker 1: Well, I agree, I you know I was. You know, I left IBM, which is a classic forty hour week job for one k retirement type package and vacation days and you know, a consistent check right help benefits. Correct, that's very safe. But what we learned is those type of jobs don't carry you to the finish line like they used to. Yes, but entrepreneurship and people need to understand this. Now, you don't get paid overtime be an entrepreneur. It's a lot of work you don't And so eighty hour week is a norm for an entrepreneur. Yes, now you made this big decision. You're spelled mcgred. They born and raised in Atlanta, Join went to Jersey Village in Houston, Texas. Correct, got academic training and then went up to Brooklyn. Yep, So you've had some nice, big markets outside of Atlanta. Yes, sir, what made you by Frandy to be so bold? Because it so bold, boy, because you're telling people that the educational system that they're providing in this particular city can be better through your vision. Yes, sir, talk to us about that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So, going through all the different realms of education, teaching, leading, seeing other people's vision out, I just said, there's got to be a way to do this that is different because I've seen brilliant, beautiful black and brown children not get fulfill through their educational experience from K through twelve, And so I said, how do.
Speaker 4: I flip this on his head?
Speaker 3: And one of the biggest things I needed to do was come back home. I was in Brooklyn at the time. I was a part of somebody else's mission, and I was just like, I can do this better. So my support system, my village is here in Georgia. So I came back home. I started in a fellowship program which supported me in understanding the nuances of education as a business. Because I think people think that I'm just a school teacher or a school leader opening a school, but there is a serious business side to opening a school that people don't understand until they're in it. After talking to a few people and understanding what they wanted from a school, I said, cool, let's see what this is all about. And I started a summer program. So we really started as a summer camp that then turned into a charter school. Our families in our summer camp program were like, how do we do.
Speaker 4: This every day?
Speaker 3: This has been an amazing experience, but I want my student to be able to do this every day.
Speaker 4: And so I said, okay, let's start a charter school.
Speaker 1: Now again, I'm digging deep into this hole because our teachers at Autopia Academy, you know, he was already up and running. Yes, I'm getting you like year two correct, this is year one literally and you want so because I really got to delve into your mind because I'm very impressed, because because it's very courageous. So how do you recruit students? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Outside, we are outside tabling at an event or something community focused. Every weekend we posted up Thanksgiving time, Christmas time, Easter in front of public SAMs at the mall places.
Speaker 1: Those people usually just walk by, they bother me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's a lot of that.
Speaker 3: But I think when you sell tell people do you want something different? For your student, When you tell them that they can create wealth for themselves and their families, I think it tunes to the ear a bit differently, especially for our people who are looking for outlets and access. As such, entrepreneurship is the way to economic mobility. It is the way to create for yourself. It is the way to bridge community. And so when I have those type of conversations with families, they're like, Yeah, I wish that I had this type of education, So I want my child to be able to experience this as well.
Speaker 2: What has been the most profound statement a parent has made to you about the simple view?
Speaker 1: A simple view?
Speaker 3: I think what has been really amazing is the things that students are learning.
Speaker 4: In the classroom.
Speaker 3: They're telling their families, and then their families are coming to ask about how to do that thing. So, for example, we talked about how to fund your business or how to fund your nonprofit, and we talked about grants and getting grants.
Speaker 1: To help your writers, right, and so we talked about this and what you need in order to have a good grant.
Speaker 3: Somebody went home and told their family about it, and then their mom reached out to me and was like, Okay, my daughter came home and told me about grant writing and I need I want to start a business and so I need some help.
Speaker 1: Now you get me excited. I'm not saying I wasn't excited, but that grant writing, Yeah, that is like the most in demand skill set. Yes, in this country.
Speaker 2: Yes it is because everybody wants a grant, but nobody knows how to facilitate the process correctly.
Speaker 1: Do you have a course over that you're teaching for grant rights.
Speaker 3: So it's embedded into our entrepreneurship program. And so one really cool thing about our school is that all of our courses intersect in some way. We have an interdisciplinary model. So you're not just learning math and math class, you're also learning financial literacy and math class. You're learning business and social studies. And so we hit them in different functions through all of their classes. And so in entrepreneurship, we were talking about how they're going to build their businesses and what they might need, and so that was a portion of the curriculum to tell them here are the different outlets. We talked about credit as well, and how you get a loan from the bank, and how you have to have a good credit score, and how you get a good credit score, because all of those things matter, and so telling them now because they have to start making the choices now. Some of their families have already given them cash app cards and things like that, and I'm like, okay, but what are you doing with that cash ap card? Are you saving your money? Are you investing your money? How are you getting more money? And so we have those type of conversations with our kids because we have to prepare them for what comes after twelfth grade, which we hope is that they create something for the community in which they're serving that only betters us.
Speaker 1: Right, It's important that you say that very clearly when I think about let everybody know what I'm talking to. Non diad whah. She's founded the Simple View Academy SPA.
Speaker 2: She's a native of Atlanta, Georgia. You know, she wanted to change the perspective of education for black and brown kids.
Speaker 1: Yes, sir, And if you see outside publics see you outside, you know Sam's or whatever. She's recruiting to.
Speaker 2: Promote an academic training session for entrepreneurship and emotionally charge your child to be a leader in difficult circumstances. Yep, that's important. Yes, I think about my life. Everything is learned on the job. On the job of learning good and bad.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying. If you can avoid a mistake, whye experience?
Speaker 4: Correct?
Speaker 1: How do you do that?
Speaker 3: A lot of sharing of our lives and the different circumstances that we've been through. Majority of my teachers are entrepreneurs so that they can talk from experience. So I looked for a certain caliber person to lead this type of learning for our students. Because while you might be a great math teacher, do you know how to help a student navigate a budget gap and what to do to bridge that. So, for instance, we had our marketplace for our students.
Speaker 4: This was the first ever. So some of our students were.
Speaker 3: Super prepared because they come from entrepreneurship families, and some of them don't come from families who practice entrepreneurship, and so we had to bridge that gap for them, which is like, okay, so if you're going to spend thirty dollars to get whatever supplies and you're only selling five of these things for five dollars, are you going to make back your money?
Speaker 4: No, you're going to be five dollars short.
Speaker 3: So are you really going to sell for five dollars or do you need to sell for ten so you actually make a profit to actually put back in your business. So these are the type of conversations that we're having the students so that they can see their learning in real time and really be prepared to take the next step with their business.
Speaker 1: Please don't go anywhere. We'll be right back with more Money Making Conversations Masterclass. I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe money Making Conversations. Welcome back to Money Making Conversation master Class, hosted by me Rashaan McDonald. Money Making Conversation master Class continues online at Moneymaking Conversations dot com and follow money Making Conversations master Class on Facebook, X and Instagram. You know, I really appreciate you coming on my show because I like to be educated too, and the process of doing that you know, like I said, you started idea, what inspired you or what mentors had you had on the sidelines, Because this is a great idea, but there has to be a support system. Yes, what was your support system?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: So I come from a family of entrepreneurs, I'm truly correct. And my mom's from New York but Barbados, So.
Speaker 1: That's a Rihanna's country, correct.
Speaker 4: And so I was the only true traditional.
Speaker 3: Child in my family, you know, going through primary school, secondary college, master's degree, getting the job. My brother engaged in entrepreneurship very early too as well. So I come from a family of entrepreneurs. So I've been able to see them go through the ups and downs of their business journey along the way.
Speaker 4: Of course, I have.
Speaker 3: Developed relationships with amazing educators who helped me put the instructional design together because while I have this great idea, I do need people to be like, you're not going to reach that standard if you do that activity, or you're gonna have to push students here to bridge their learning. So the Georgia Charter School Association has been an amazing support system. The State Charter School Commission, my authorizers have been amazing support systems to helping us understand the legality of charter school, how to make sure that our money goes in the ways that it needs to for our students. Family that has been involved along this journey. I tell people as soon as they enter our doors or as soon as they interact with something with the simple view, they're my cousin because they're a part of our family.
Speaker 4: They're part of our village.
Speaker 3: So we've had many people come along the journey and help us out. Some of our key partners right now are the one hundred Black Men of North Metro Atlanta and Douglasville because our students come from Cobb and Fulton County along with Douglasville and Paulding County. Some state institutions like Spelling College, Moorhouse Clark, Atlanta, the whole auc Center has been really helpful.
Speaker 4: There are so many partners.
Speaker 3: AUBUNTU wouldn't be a part of our core values if community wasn't at the center.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's all balls down the money, some of it. How do you fund your charter school?
Speaker 4: Good question.
Speaker 3: So every because we are a public school, every student we get in allotment for.
Speaker 4: Who enrolls in our school.
Speaker 1: So every.
Speaker 3: Nottment, So charter school gets funded thirty three percent less than the traditional public school, and so oftentimes you'll see charter schools fundraising or going for grants because we have to make up the difference in some way, shape or form, because we're still held to the same exact standards as a traditional public school system. So every student who comes in and if they have a need an IEP five or four specialized service, we have to meet them because it is our duty and is the law to be a public school. So every student comes in with an allotment and we put that in our budget, and then we figure out how we make up the difference.
Speaker 1: Through donations, fundraisers and stuff like that. If one wants to make a donation, where would they go?
Speaker 3: They should visit our website, the simple view academy dot org and hit our donation button link and put the money in our pocket.
Speaker 1: And how is that distributed for food for the kids? Close with great questions, academics.
Speaker 3: Yes, so transportation and nutrition are our biggest expenses. Of of course teachers are top expense, and so oftentimes the money that is donated to us, we make sure that we have enough to cover our teachers and our educators, and then the rest goes for like enrichment. We just had a fashion show where we had kids dress up and go down the hallway and we had them kind of strut their stuff.
Speaker 4: We had a field trip.
Speaker 1: But on social media, I'm sure.
Speaker 3: There's videos that the children gotta gotta promote what.
Speaker 4: You doing that you know, that's thank you for pushing me there.
Speaker 3: Oftentimes I'm so in it with them that I don't even look at my phone or take pictures.
Speaker 1: Unique story. Yeah, and I think that social media will be very friendly and passionate about your story. Yeah, because you know you're rep sending a educational format that's non traditional. Yes, but needed, you know, we know, you know, with the just with the purpose of AI and social media. Being a person like when I grew up, I didn't have that, you know, so being able to go out there and say I want to be successful by myself.
Speaker 2: I used to pay for that. Pay for a radio commercial, pay for a TV commercial. If you're smart, you pay for none of that. You can start your YouTube channel, you can start your social media. People will pay you for your creative being an influencer. So I know one of my employees. He has over three hundred thousand TikTok followers.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so that's that's a person I've hired that has developed that skill set outside of a traditional job format that he also works, so he has his own outside revenue opportunity or career opportunity he has as an entrepreneur. But also he falls under that traditional for they are weekend for So that's the that's the that's the people we have.
Speaker 1: Now, that's a kid.
Speaker 2: So if I push you to do anything, post yes, tell your story. Tell your story on LinkedIn too, because you're talking about entrepreneurship, you're talking about future business leaders.
Speaker 1: That can fall under the whole world of LinkedIn. Yeah, okay. So why are we waiting so late to teach kids about money?
Speaker 3: Great question, And I don't have the answer to that. I don't know why. It doesn't make sense to me at all, which is why we teach our kids about money when they enter our doors. I think we are waiting way too late to teach kids about money. I know that when I went to college, when I got my first refund check, I was at the cab buying up stuff at the party, buying things that I shouldn't have been buying instead of my books and making sure that I had my rent to pay, and thinking about our next generation. The economy is just getting tougher and tougher, and so to not teach our students about how to manage their money or how to get money is irresponsible at this point.
Speaker 2: At a Simple View Academy, what are results are early results have you seen since launching the school?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so what's been really incredible is that our students when we first tested, had our first diagnostic tests, were below state averages. In month six, which is probably like midway through the school year, we saw twenty to thirty percent gains in math and reading, which is pretty significant. Our students entered in not really knowing how to do on gray level math or on Gray level reading, and by the time we got them to January, they were able to do it. So knowing that it kind of just propelled us forward and got us excited about what we could do next, which was get them to marketplace and get them to the expo. And they did that all themselves with their math skills and their writing skills.
Speaker 4: So it's been amazing, you know.
Speaker 1: At the Simple View Academy viewer spelled v U E because when you look, I want to make sure you find it.
Speaker 2: Entrepreneurship, teachers, child entrepreneurship. How does that alter their perspective about their future?
Speaker 3: Many of our students are saying now that they did not know they had the ability to do this, to create change. I think our students walked in wanting to change or create just for themselves and like what they liked. And then after this training, these experiences, they're trying to now figure out what their target audience wants. That's something that we talk about often. It's like, well, is that who's your target audience? Who would want to purchase or engage in that thing? Because even if you just like pink slippers, how many other people might want pink slippers? And you should investigate that and you should find community in what you're trying to get off the ground because there's there's a niche, there's a group of people who want to engage what you're with, what you're doing.
Speaker 4: You just got to find them.
Speaker 3: So I think that they found community, they found their people. I think through this experience they have understood money way better. And our families are saying now They're not asking me for McDonald's because they know I got a budget to keep. Now they're going to the grocery store with their families and couponing and saying, Mmmm, we could probably get this this month, and you know, forego that next month.
Speaker 1: You know a lot of people when you start talking about change, they really can go to extreme. You're talking about entrepreneurship. Yes, what are people getting wrong about the fact that you are leading in academic training about entrepreneurship and why people are making a mistake that it may not be the right path to teach your kid at such an early age.
Speaker 3: Yes, because I think one when you say entrepreneurship, people automatically think, oh, small business owner, Oh I got to go create a business. But what we're trying to really infuse is the entrepreneurial mindset and what it means to create change.
Speaker 4: Be it.
Speaker 3: If you go within a business, you could be an entrepreneur. There might be a routine, a system that you might innovate, maybe something that has been antiquated or happening for years it's not really working anymore, and you go into a business and recreate that thing. And so I think oftentimes when we say entrepreneurship, people automatically think I got to go start a business, rather than I'm expanding my mindset around how to create and how to innovate something. I also think that when we say entrepreneurship, people don't assume that we are getting kids college prepared. They only think about career readiness. But entrepreneurship is college preparation. It is balancing your checkbook. It is organization, it is collaboration. It is making sure that you cross your t's and dot your eyes. And so we are preparing our students to be leaders and change makers, not just in their careers, not just in their communities, but or the for higher education as well.
Speaker 2: What is an entrepreneurial mindset versus a traditional academic mindset in the middle school leading into high school.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I believe that an entrepreneurial mindset looks like pushing the envelope. It looks like asking questions, it looks like taking action. While traditional education is pretty much sit and get it is you digest information and you put it on a test or a piece of paper, and they say, great, you got it done. While we are pushing our kids to not only great, you got it done, but show me, how do you know that thing is going to work?
Speaker 4: What have you tested?
Speaker 3: What have you what questions have you asked to really know that this thing is actually going to change. We are developing curious kids who are not just allowing information to just come to them. They're questioning what they're receiving. We asked them the pushback on what we're telling them so that we can be better. I know that my teachers had to have their own kind of like cultural shift around kids, basically being like, doesn't make sense, Like you're going to have to explain that to me in a different way, And oftentimes adults are like, what, Like, that's what I told you.
Speaker 4: You need to do the thing that I told you.
Speaker 3: There's rules and expectations, But we do allow our kids to say, well, I could do this in a different way. Here's how I solved the problem, And our teachers are like, okay, cool, Yeah, you got the same answer and you solved it in that way.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 2: You know, it's really interesting now when you go through the process of you know that level, you know, elementary school, it's really amazing. Now I could really as old as I am, I could really clearly remember moments in my life fifth grade. You know, I can remember moments in my life in the seventh grade. You know clearly instructional habits. They will told me I should do it this way, and it stays there because it allows me to say, this is what these were these key moments at the Simple View Academy. What are those moments that you are training that will stay with these young people for the rest of their lives.
Speaker 3: We often say, like our underlying core value is managing the pivot because entrepreneurship is unexpected often and our kids are so used to tradition and here's how the thing happens, and it should happen this way. And so I think what they've learned over this year is like, Okay, it can happen that way, but it could happen this way as well, and thinking outside of the box. And so that is really what we are pushing. Whatever they're giving you in the box doesn't have to be the box. You can recreate the box. Let's figure out how to recreate the box. And sometimes the box might be bigger than you. You might need to call on some people to help you recreate the box.
Speaker 4: But try it.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, one more time? How do we offer an opportunity to contribute to donation.
Speaker 4: Yes, you can visit our website.
Speaker 3: You can put some money in the mail thirty two sixty four Brookmont Parkway.
Speaker 1: Lord Town. What was that address.
Speaker 3: It's thirty two sixty four Brookmont Parkway, Douglas, Still, Georgia, three one five. And then you could just go to our website and hit that donation link and put whatever amount of funds that you can afford to give us to really help this design continue coming to life and continue feeding the community that is being serviced by this design.
Speaker 2: Nondi head, while you're very courageous, I'd say that because anybody who thinks out of the box have to come or have to overcome a lot of naysayers.
Speaker 1: Yes, a lot of people. That is not going to work. Why are you doing that?
Speaker 2: Because you can explain to people with your your dream sometimes, you know, because people it's very simple as to say I'm a postman, very simple say I'm a banker or an engineer, architect. But you said I want to build the most successful charter school in America.
Speaker 1: I know that's correct. You're not trying to limit this to just to Atlanta or the state of Georgia. You want to put their charter school a Simple View Academy or the Simple View Academy on the map. Yes, sir, is that the goal?
Speaker 3: That is the goal, trying to change the life of a lot of different people in a lot of different ways. I've been able to see it in just the year change the trajectory of eighty kids. So if I can get eighty to change their mindset and just the year, how many more can we get?
Speaker 2: So how do you is there a what is that growth criteria? You have eighty kids? Now what's the next level?
Speaker 3: Yes, so eighty kids this year, next year one hundred and fifty and every year after that we're adding more school We value small schools, so we probably will not get bigger than five hundred just because small classrooms is how we are able to have these kind of conversations with students. So right now we're probably at one to twenty two in a classroom or so, because if we get any bigger than that, we're not going to be able to have the opportunities that we've been able to create the Simple View Academy.
Speaker 1: Talking to the founder Nonde Edward, Yes, thank you for coming on money Making Conversation Masterclass. Thank you, Thank you for listening to this episode. No I need for you to do me a favor right now to follow or subscribe to Money Making Conversation. It's free and you can find it on the iHeartRadio app, Spotify, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your podcasts. Please do me that favor, follow or subscribe Money Making Conversations. Keep winning.