Speaker 1: A run back to Hooty rebels and Yemen launching two more attacks on commercial ships in the Red Sea, just as the US announced a naval task force to counter the threat, the US joining nine countries to escort vessels passing through the crucial trade route after major companies, including oil giant BP paused operations, but the Hooi's vowing further attacks in retaliation for Israel's war in Gaza bottom miners.
Speaker 2: These attacks have to stop. If they need to stop, they're unacceptable.
Speaker 3: The United States, our allies, and our partners will do what we have to do to counter these threats and to protect these ships. That's Kirby, they're the spokesman, and I like him. He seems like a good dude. But the rhetoric of these attacks have to stop. They're unacceptable. Well, there have been over one hundred now. We're not doing much to deter them, so you can't say they're unacceptable. We seem to be accepting it. I mean, by definition, we seem to be accepted relentless attacks on our troops and our machinery by Iran and their proxies. And I don't know how else you look at that welcome to the Armstrong and Getty Show. We want to check in with Mike Lyons, who we love talking to about anything military wise. Maybe you see him on CNN, maybe you follow him on Twitter at mag Mike Lyons on Twitter. In fact, they got a tweet that I want to read to him from yesterday and have him explain more. Mike, Welcome to the Armstrong and Getty Show again.
Speaker 4: Hey guy, it's good to be backcause always.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the over one hundred times that Iran or people at the behest of Iran have attacked or attempted to attack us. I mean, have we pushed back enough in your eyes?
Speaker 4: No, I don't think so. I think we keep trying to give this visual deterrence. You know, two carrier groups in the Mediterranean and the Carnie in the Red Sea. But we're dealing with an enemy that doesn't care about that because they know that we're psychologically disarmed. They know that we will respond in a manner that will likely cause great damage and destruction. And then the enemy knows that the rest of the world then will turn against us. And so we don't really, you know, have the gumption anymore to stake a high moral ground about. Look, you're not going to attack us. We're going to protect our soldiers and our sailors and the like, and we're going to not care about what the rest of the world thinks. It's the same problem Israel's having right now. You know, the rest of the world is really concerned what Israel's doing. Well, Israel's trying to fight for his existence right now. So that's you know, kind of the same example.
Speaker 2: I hear the dogs of war in the background where you are.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, I couldn't even get them outther I got them out.
Speaker 2: No big deal.
Speaker 3: So the rhetoric of this must stop. This is unacceptable. I feel like if you don't push back really, really hard, you're saying it is acceptable.
Speaker 2: And is there any reason to think it's not going to continue?
Speaker 4: You know, it's so the Secretary of Defense did the right thing. Put together a coalition of other nations and of others that are that are going to look to respond. But we've got to go after the source, not just you know, on the ground. It's going to mean destroying a lot of equipment on the ground. We have to go after what Iran is doing. Is Iran you know, completely supports the Houthis. I mean, you know, but for Iran that the Houthis don't don't exist. They and and and we've allowed the problem just to get worse and worse over the course of the years. And that's that's like everything in the world right now. The can gets kicked down the road until we finally have to take care of it. So let's hope that this will possibly take care of it, and we will eventually respond if they you know, let's say they think an oil tanker or something and create an environmental disaster. There's there's so many things, so many really bad possibilities there. I don't think they'll get to our ships because of our defense platforms that we have there, but there's a lot of tragedy that can still take place there. And then of course the money that's being lost. You see, a lot of the ships are being derived or ready to the to the south and in Africa in that regard, and then all the Egyptians, the Gyptans have to be made. They're losing about my my son tells me it's a million dollars to take a ship down and back into the sost Canal. So they're losing all that money's taking place there. So let's hope the rest of the world recognizes that this is a problem and gets on board with there as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I keep using the example.
Speaker 3: The Wall Street Journal had a story several weeks ago now about how an attack drone got lodged in the ceiling of a building and the bomb didn't go off.
Speaker 2: If it had, it would have killed a whole bunch of US servicemen. So that was just lock that.
Speaker 3: You know, that that didn't happen, So I feel like you got to respond as if it did.
Speaker 2: But you know, we're not well.
Speaker 4: And the kind of attacks that the drones can make on the ships, they could be swarm attacks. We just haven't seen that yet. But that's really would be a tremendous escalation because if you fire, you know, we saw that ship the other day, the Carney was fired. Some of my fourteen or fifteen drone shot them out of the sky. If you sent a hundred or a thousand at the Carney, that would be a problem for that ship and one of them would get through, and then what do we have? And so you know that's well, for whatever reason, we're just on this luck factor of saying, oh, you know, right, it hasn't been bad. No one's dead yet, so that we're just going to continue to go. And it just just doesn't make sense.
Speaker 3: To the war between Israel and Hamas I'm looking at this tweet of yours from yesterday, I'll just read it. I was thinking, the US and Israel, we're talking past each other about what the US wanted Israel to do. From the news conference today, the administration is not putting a timeline on the operation.
Speaker 2: Israel will fight this on their terms, explain.
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I had thought that the United States from what they had said, Jake Sullivan and you know, they were telling this, well, it's kind of wrap this up here, acting like it's you know, some kind of protests formation in Portland or something. And and but but after this last press conference, after the last meeting, the secondary Defense said there's no timetable for Israel. They're going to do this whatever they want to do it. So that to me was good enough to say, well, this is now going to go on for months. It's not going to get wrapped up. We're not going to you know, both of these audiences are talking to their domestic audiences, right or both of these people are talking to their domestic audiences where you know, we're trying to Obviously, the political factor of the Democrats right now, for whatever reason, is they have to show some kind of support for Hamas. Don't don't ask me why, but that seems to be what they're trying to do. And so in Israel's case, there are some inside of Israel too that that that are that want, you know, the civilians that not be as terrorized. I don't know what the term is, because it's, you know, they're at war again for their own survival. But once they said that to me, I was good, Okay, here we go. So this is that they're not going to be concerned here that in the next month nothing's going to change. Israel is not stopping. They're also fighting a two front war. They're fighting a war in the north where they're clearing Hamas military formations that wage war against Israel to that to that area they're indirect fire weapons and the like, and then the one in the south and the south Gaza Kany units for example, that's where the headquarters are, that's where a lot of the leadership were, that's where a lot of them escaped to when we had that seas fire before, and that's kind of a different operation. But the bottom line to me is Israel's not stopping and they're not going to change your tactics. They have to make this a conventional war. They have to bring Hama up to the level of a conventional fight and get them to surrender.
Speaker 3: I wonder how much we're saying different things to them behind closed doors or in phone calls than we are in public. And that makes me wonder also just kind of as in a side, like you're a West Point guy and you've studied all this military strategy and history and stuff like that, how much do you how much at West Point do they get into the politics at all? Or do they because obviously that plays a role in a war. You might have to do one thing and say another to keep you know, your domestic audience happy.
Speaker 2: How much do y'all think about that?
Speaker 4: There's no question that at West Point that's the force that's taught to cadets as they progress in their careers and get to that certain place. But I mean west Point trains you kind of the younger officers. It's really the ones that have been you know, the general officers that are there and politics has made a much bigger impact on the military. Unfortunately. I often think about if you brought back to generals from World War Two and you told them how we were fighting war today, they would just like shake their and say, you guys are nuts, because we'd have this thing over here in six weeks. We would take the biggest weapons we have and we would destroy everything we possibly could. We wouldn't care about the things you guys seem to care about, and we would get this thing done. And that is the harsh reality of history, is how they would look at it. And instead, you know, we're trying to tell Israel to you know, you have the president United States saying that Israel's indiscriminately bombing civilians and that's just irresponsible, right, That's why I was talking about, you know, talking past each other. I mean, that's irresponsible for the president to say that. So no question that and the accelerant of social media and the audience and all those things get through it. So again from a military perspective, that the Idea app is trying to use its military as a tool foreign policy to get the Palestinian leadership to heal and get them to surrender and they're going to do whatever they can in that regard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we've been talking about.
Speaker 3: I mean, you take any country, state, village anywhere in the world throughout history, if you got attacked the way Israel got attacked, where they came in and they headed your babies and raped your grandma's you would if you could lay waste to that entity right all throughout history, anywhere in the world. And so now what where are we?
Speaker 2: It's it's an interesting thing to watch.
Speaker 4: And in the Arab world is not helping the Palestinians, I mean Egyptian says we've talked about before, and anytime they open up a barrier, that barriers between them and Gaza to let humanitarian id and they can't close it fast enough, all right, so they're not letting any refugees in the rest of the nations really don't care about it. They want to you know, brand to the United Nations, and they want to make a big deal about it. But this is you know, Israel's not going to settle for two state solution right now. They're not going to settle for any of that previous ideas about what's going on here. And I don't think they care about what the United States says. You're right behind closed doors. They're kind of rolling their eyes at us basically telling them how to fight terrorism, because we really have a great record from the past twenty years in a rock in Afghanistan frankly in terms of trying to you know, get that to work there.
Speaker 2: So interesting.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm sure we'll be talking about this with you in the next year, and this is the last time we'll be talking to you this year. In twenty three. Where is the war in Ukraine currently? Where do you think it's headed for twenty four?
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's a stalemate right now, with both sides still not able to take their strategic objectives and align them with their operational capabilities. And I don't and if the United States decides not to support Ukraine, then eventually it could be in years at this point, but eventually they will lose. I think that you know, Russia is building more capacity every day, learning doing things that are moving in the direction that they're doing better. So you know, we've got to get off the dime here, get the rest of the world to recognize that. And then if you ship the world as tinderbox, because I think you have what's going on in the Pacific still is something that could explode in twenty twenty four, given US leadership, where it's going to be, how it's going to change next year for US. So I think we're in for a lot of things to go on at twenty twenty four, both in the Middle East, in Europe, and then of course in the Pacific. It's going to be a really challenging year.
Speaker 3: Wow, that's a heck of a thing for you to end on what we I was going to say, look forward to talking to you. Unfortunately, when we're talking to you, it's oftentimes a bad or challenging situation. But we will talk to you in twenty four. Helpe, you have a great Christmas in the holiday season.
Speaker 4: Thanks Mary, Christmas everybody soon. Thanks for having me Armstrong and Getty.