Speaker 1: Walking back day two.
Speaker 2: All the smoke.
Speaker 3: We had a good day yesterday today to.
Speaker 4: Sit down with Man, this man is hot right now. He's been hot, but extremely hot right now. Been in the game for a minute. To me, one of the funniest comedians in the business but also a dual threat acting movies, commercials. We're going to show Dion cole Man.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me. Man. I appreciate you being here. Man, let's talk present day.
Speaker 5: How you feeling fresh playing don Key Man the Mic movie?
Speaker 3: Great, having a great year. It is great, having a good time. Shout out to everybody over that that was on the Michael movie.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's just it's been good Man. I can't complain at all, you know.
Speaker 5: So my godson played up Marlon Jackson really the last four or five years. He played him in the plays on Broadway and he got to be.
Speaker 1: In the movie too. So that's see, that's your lesson right there.
Speaker 3: Well, when they come at you, you know, for both you and man.
Speaker 1: Man, But what was it? What was it like?
Speaker 4: Obviously, Mike, one of the greatest effort and just to be a part of something so big and and spoiler alert, is there a part two?
Speaker 3: You know they have been going back and forth with this, and so I don't know exactly where they at with it, but it's it was it was a talk about it from the get go, you know, it was.
Speaker 1: It was to talk about it from the get going.
Speaker 3: And I'm doing the part too, and so I guess they was just trying to see how one went.
Speaker 1: And then you know, it's gonna go into two.
Speaker 3: So right now, from what I know that, I guess they and talks about it still and so much more to tell. Yeah, I mean, come on, man, you can't. You can't fit that man, like two hours.
Speaker 4: In another two hours, we want to see it. That's right, right, I heard it. I just saw a number. Yes, it's it's up like near like nine hundred and thirty million, pass a billion.
Speaker 1: Crazy a couple of.
Speaker 3: Weeks for a bio fit. Yeah, it's crazy, amazing. That's probably I think number two of biopics.
Speaker 1: Music up like it's it's been a good yeah, yeah, yeah, it's crazy, man, but good times.
Speaker 5: What kind of research did you have to do to get to get ready to play don Ky Man?
Speaker 3: So I looked at like all the video of how I looked at a lot of footage of Don, and I looked at other portrayals of him, and you know, it was all kind of silly, you know, And so I just went to did a little background check. I don't know if a lot of people know this, but Don King went to jail for killing two people, right.
Speaker 1: Two too, did four years and got out.
Speaker 3: That's crazy four years and got out and man, and just was like, Yo, this is America and that's what made him go off onto that, And so.
Speaker 1: I was like, don wow, you know.
Speaker 3: But then I also started thinking once he started became up, when he became a boxing promoter. From what I heard, they were saying that he took a lot of money from a lot of people, but nobody came after him.
Speaker 1: Ain't nobody.
Speaker 3: You never heard of nobody coming after Doe because Don was plugged, you know what I mean, he was plugged, like out in Vegas with them boys.
Speaker 1: I mean, get out for two and four years.
Speaker 3: You two boxes four years, and you took millions from people from from allegedly took millions from people or whatever. And they were saying that and nobody came after him or whatever. I was like, Nah, I'm we're gonna We're gonna play him different.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's a different don you know, we're gonna we're gonna show how how he get down, you know.
Speaker 3: So that was my that was my thought process as far as, like, you know, looking up what he was and what he meant to that moment in the movie and the film or whatever.
Speaker 5: I heard Don King say this before. He's like a lot of people assuming me they don't like me. But one thing I always do is read the fine print. So he must always kept his contracts in tect kept always read the fine print, you know what I'm saying. So his corent the reason why nobody probably got him because he always had his paperwork right.
Speaker 3: Probably that's real. But Don always thought different. Even in that movie where Ving Rings played them. He said in that movie, he was like, he was like, I washed my hands before, I before, I before, I mean, I mean that was the first time I ever heard some ship what.
Speaker 1: Before I hate for grind mine.
Speaker 4: That's the former movie movie was that was.
Speaker 1: Good?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, but that was his mentality all always thinking different, always playing against it.
Speaker 1: Was a little bit more hood like you said, yeah, he wasn't going to play.
Speaker 3: With yeah yeah, no, no, no, everybody that played don King played them silly, and they felt like they could because you know, the hair, the flags and him always smiling, but.
Speaker 1: He was with the ship. Yeah, I wouldn't do rob get Away with. Come on, don't do nothing, Mike, don't do nothing. Man. I was working with Antoine.
Speaker 3: Man. Antoine is one of the greatest dudes man like for real. Like directors, it's I worked with directors before, and they don't direct nothing, but he They just be trying to make their day. They be like this, all right, cool, we got the shot. Let's go an swine. You know his purpose. You know exactly what he wants. What do you want done? And he asked you for it, you know, and that's what he did. He just he knew his vision. Some directors they don't be knowing what they They had you in there and they have you do eighty shots because they can't figure out one shot they want, you know what I mean, So they go, if I have eighty shots, I find it, you know, Twine like, yeah, you cant have as many shots as you want, but I know it when I got it, And he'll be like, I got it.
Speaker 1: If you want to keep going, you can go ahead. But We're like, oh no, let's go, we can move on over. You know.
Speaker 3: So he's a wonderful director, one of the best ever man.
Speaker 1: So I was honored even work with him. Legend.
Speaker 5: I don't want to ask you about Hearder They Fall. That was an unbelievable cast, Regina, Regina King.
Speaker 1: Who else was in that movie? He just said, ever Elbow? Who played it? Just Elvi? I can't think his name, Majors Jopped the Ages. You know.
Speaker 3: That was a great movie, bro, Yeah, yeah, that was a great That was a great movie. The Key Staff, The Key Staff, Yeah yeah.
Speaker 1: Jaz who's the young brother there?
Speaker 3: R J J from Atlanta? Yea, I J good folks right talking as.
Speaker 1: They trying to get him the wrong you think.
Speaker 3: Past definitely, Man, another one of those you know, iconic moments.
Speaker 1: Man, you just book.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like being with a cast like that and you know, breaking breaking, breaking the wall with showing something that hasn't been seen before, showing all.
Speaker 1: Showing how black cow boys were back in the day. They think that we didn't exist like we exist, originators wild They had a mouthful of gold man, mouth full of goal man. That's how it is, you know.
Speaker 3: I mean back then That's how it was so man, it was just great with that cast of people. Man, it was it was something else. Me and Idris we got into a big fight. We got to a fight and on screen, but we got into like a real little like little altercation shooting and ship. We rehearsed for three weeks and I told the story before, but we rehearsed for three weeks. This fight scene, he swing, I go down. He's come again and he hit me and I go down. Or we practiced this forever. He had this gun and saying we go, we're gonna set they like action. I go down, I come up. He had and it was one of them old pistols too, you know, the old pistol away about fifteen.
Speaker 1: Hit me on top of my head.
Speaker 3: I dropped, like literally dropped, like dude.
Speaker 1: We did this ship for three weeks. Dog, how you how all of a sudden you hit me in my ship.
Speaker 3: I'm laying on the ground with my hand up, waiting on the people to lift me up. Everybody walking by me and ship. I had to pistol, had to roll over it like lift my ownself.
Speaker 1: Fuck dog, and like dust myself off. Nobody came and helped me one little extra came the extra. Hey, I'm like, yeah, nigga, move.
Speaker 3: Rubbing my head and ship, I'm like, dog, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Nobody come talk to me.
Speaker 3: So I was like, yeah, so Chicago shit just kicked the hen.
Speaker 1: S.
Speaker 3: This shit again. We did it again. He came down. He was like, they gave a whole set. Ran over to him.
Speaker 6: Oh my god, get him medic.
Speaker 1: I was like this, what nobody can't you turned into London. I was like, dude, come home, man, Yeah, shripp you can say you got.
Speaker 5: Pistol said you get to get there.
Speaker 1: Yeah you got.
Speaker 3: Right after that, there was like all right, no more ship, right, no more than Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was great man, It's great, man. The honor of just playing a lot, like with a lot of great ensemble casts, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: Man. And that was just another one, you know.
Speaker 3: Like with the Color Purple Blackish Barbershop, that's.
Speaker 1: Just always needs a lot of talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, always had the honor of being a part of these.
Speaker 5: You really made people hate you on Color Purple boy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people hate you. It's a character.
Speaker 3: Now, man, Thank you dog. Yeah, I have a lot of people, a lot of people need to know.
Speaker 1: It's me.
Speaker 3: But when they found out, they was like what because I had to cut my mustache.
Speaker 1: So that was the first time I cut my mustard.
Speaker 3: I don't really trust niggas, you know.
Speaker 1: A long time ago. Watch it. I hated it.
Speaker 3: I wouldn't go nowhere but like a month dog, and if I did, I had to mask.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I hated. I was like, oh my god.
Speaker 5: The only look you can get when you save, you like you're fresh out, fresh like pins out the.
Speaker 3: Pin Only let it. It's only a coup, dudes. I'm gonna let slide. I let Obama slide because I know political ship.
Speaker 1: Charles Barkley too, he'd been doing let.
Speaker 3: To be out there in Phoenix with all them white chicks. He gotta keep his ship naked. That's only where the white chick's gonna with bark Man.
Speaker 1: I let I let l and jay Z. I let them slide.
Speaker 7: That's probably, yeah, that's Markley.
Speaker 8: They never they never attempted to come to the other side. It's just always been Cleveland's just always been riding.
Speaker 5: Richard PRIs but he went must he grew Yeah, yeah, he had the real might.
Speaker 1: He grew up. Brother went from cheat the cheek.
Speaker 3: Richard from cheat the cheap, but say he.
Speaker 1: Might have burnt.
Speaker 4: Stefinitely jo espectfully especially yet respectfully.
Speaker 1: That's funny.
Speaker 5: Richard on YouTube just oh my god, that's super.
Speaker 1: Intelligent though too, but he was say anything any fucking thing, scared moment. Yeah to it man.
Speaker 3: Great Waining brothers doing it again again another Yeah, another opportunity working with you know, an ensemble cast that is legendary. Them boys haven't been on screen with that franchise in twenty five years. They took that in twenty five years. Twenty five years since you've seen Sean on screen. He ain't been on nothing in twenty five years. They took that. They took that franchise from them boys and tried to do it themselves. And then the pot and so when they gave it, when they gave him that franchise back, I remember Marlin hit me and he was like, dude, I want you to come roc with us man, And I was like really, yeah, we got the franchise back. I was like, bet, let's do it. And then when I seen what they wanted me to do, I was like no, I'm good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. I was like, man, y'all do y'all thing you know.
Speaker 3: He was like, no, for real, No, it's gonna be good. I'm like, I don't know, dog, I ain't sure about this. And he was like, look, we're gonna flip it and make it like our way, you know, and da da da, And I was like, so I told one of my guys. I was like, man, I don't think I'm gonna do it. Then he was like no for real and Mardyl was like, no, trust me, I got you. Once we once I got down there, we started rocking and.
Speaker 1: I was like, oh yeah. I was like, all right, I can see this. Yeah, this is good.
Speaker 3: And then I had no idea that the first day on set was the first time Seane had been on the set in twenty five years and it was his first scene and how kind of like not tense, but it was just like everybody was super focused. And I kept trying to figure out why everybody was so focused, but because I didn't know at the time, but when we was finished, I found out that this is his first scene, first scene, first shot in twenty five years, and so it was like, man, so we had to bring it in and we did, and you know, Marlon, you know, I heard he made a promise to his mother that he would work with his brothers again, and so they all came together and they did this and went out the park Man. Yeah, so we are. Everybody's excited. I'm excited for these people. That's exactly what it is.
Speaker 1: Man Man royalty the part of everybody go upbringing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're royalty, dog And I mean for them brothers to do what they do, it's something that has to be commended. Like people come, I heard everybody talking shit about the movie. I heard people talking good about the movie. But you got to understand that the way that these brothers write, you can't even write like them. They're not writing from a black point of view or a white point of view. They wiping from their point of view. People love what they do.
Speaker 1: They have their.
Speaker 3: Own ecosyst They got a Wayne ecosystem and they are going to get it, period, just like Tyler Perry got his own ecosystem. You can't be mad at what these people do. And some people be like, yeah, they corny, they did so that. Okay, motherfucker, let me tell you something. Ain't a And I said this before, ain't a real nigga wrote check yet you know what I mean, you gotta be corny when you come out into this business.
Speaker 1: It's a bit of it.
Speaker 3: It's a bit of corniness that you gotta to have in order to be successful.
Speaker 1: Steve Harvey is on My fucking Family Feld. You think he the coolest nigga in the world on that he gotta have in order to reach the mask you can be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you think so, yeah, that dog, But you do though, you have to have a certain amount of like in order to you got and everything.
Speaker 1: Can't be motherfucking cool like that, you know what I mean. But it's ain't for you.
Speaker 3: Just it ain't for you. Don't go watch it ain't for you. I remember my mom's before. I'm not right before my mother's past. But when my mother she I remember when she came in on time, it was like this is just ago.
Speaker 1: She was, well, I love type Perry. I was like, I'll be watching.
Speaker 3: That, and then she was like, nah, I like it cause my mother would go to church all the time.
Speaker 1: And she just love that kind of comedy. And they had me thinking.
Speaker 3: I was like, well, yeah, that's for her, while I look like knocking what he writes that she loves for his audience, me and her ain't gonna sit and watch the wire together, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean?
Speaker 3: So, yeah, I need to embrace this because my mother loves that. This is what she loves. That's how the Waynes is to me. Like they write for a certain demographics.
Speaker 1: My son, my son love that scary movies.
Speaker 3: Franchise love it and there's a group of people that love it out there like I love it. But if it's if other people don't like it, just understand that these brothers are writing and doing something for some people. It might not be for you, but it's for a group of people out there. They got to be out there or wouldn't have made one hundred and five million dollars in the weekend with a comedy.
Speaker 1: But numbers say different.
Speaker 5: And the same family is responsible for a lot of your favorite comedians and people.
Speaker 1: You see that they do put on so many people, Jamie Foxx. Yeah, but this.
Speaker 3: Younger generation, they key, they never uphold what got these what got other people here? Like they don't never they never give love to the people that came in front of them, you know what I mean. They always want to know what's hot, what's new, and that's sitting now. Don't give love to the people that that well.
Speaker 1: That was across the board too.
Speaker 4: I think that's not only in the film and the music, but even sports like this generation, because I just think there's so much shit going on that they don't have appreciation for the people that came before and laid the way.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, and I understand that, but at the same token, all other races do it.
Speaker 1: I mean, Roland Stones is out here.
Speaker 3: Selling now a hundred million, one hundred thousand cied the Arenas and it's all ages up in that board. I don't understand why we can't have like motherfucking line of Richie do the same thing, right, Why can't we have my fucking new edition do the same.
Speaker 1: You just did a hundred and fifteen K and Turkey one hundred and fifteen K and Turkey. That's what he did, right, Like, that's what ago. That's crazy.
Speaker 3: They're still doing nothings like that. It's crazy doing numbers like that. I mean, getting it like yay is. But I'm saying like for a lot of our older demographic, I mean, our older people, they can't they they're not revered like that. A lot of people don't Even if I was an older motherfucker and people then show up to me. I stopped letting my fuck sample my music. Fact fact be like, you know what, fuck y'all if you if if y'all don't want to y'all y'all fucking me, y'all constantly using my music to sample, but you don't want to.
Speaker 1: Come see my shows? I don't know. I might, I might not because you still got to get some money.
Speaker 5: Watch the Men and new addition that Tony Braxton did a collab concert and they broke records. They broke records, They sold out in the lound for like five nights straight.
Speaker 3: Dude, it can be done if people just come and they support. We have to support. We have to do it like we just have to. But we also have to do it for like Diana Ross. We gotta do it for Stevie Wonder. Yeah, we gotta do it for our icons.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: That that we got that we got left, Yeah, I mean because we don't have many lets.
Speaker 4: Recently was that the Roots picnic jay Z, Dave Chappelle, the name a few obviously, the whole talk of the picnic was jay Z's freestyle, the way he had his hair and who we went at which kind of you're taking What was the energy around that being in that room.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I hosted through the Roots Picnic and the day before we had a comedy shows me Sam J. De Chappelle. We did it for Tarik black Thawk. He had a comedy show. Right right after that. We go over across the street this venue. Jay is rehearsing. He's about to rehearse and ship. So we go over there and were chilling. We go in the back room, you know, be everybody there, right, Jake come out.
Speaker 1: You got a hoodie on, and he's just chilling.
Speaker 3: He go on stage and he rocking in front of two hundred people, like rehearsing and stuff, with this hoodie on the whole time. And I'm thinking to myself, he got the hoodie on. You know, I gotta be hot. But I'm just like whatever, maybe there's some cool ship, you know how Jay do some ship everybody right right? So now I'm like looking up hoodies and.
Speaker 1: Ship there, like looking at this.
Speaker 3: Let me get this hoodie. This nigga got everybody else.
Speaker 1: Stupid.
Speaker 3: So the next day, I uh bring him on and you just don't see him like you just you know, just got this video package tens and Ship. And then dude come on stage, Dog, and I'm like, snoop.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what I said. Dog. I ain't even boh, I said snoop.
Speaker 3: He came out of the front, Dog, I'm like, shoot dreads out there.
Speaker 1: Like then when he started rocking, I was like, oh shit.
Speaker 3: But then I missed like fifteen minutes of the goddamn concert because these niggas trying to kick me out and Ship Yeah, Dog Scurity just security super Ship was hosted, right, Yes, you introduced her.
Speaker 1: Dog introduced hug this documented I got the dog.
Speaker 3: I go to backstay, I go to the side. I'm over there. You know, family come over being them. I was just with them last night. I'm over there, jam and the Ship you know these came up. Yeah, you gotta go and I'm like wow, and it's like, cause it's for the family, I'm gonna come hosting.
Speaker 1: They're like yeah, fuck all that.
Speaker 3: And then this woman, this woman, this woman that work for I don't know who the fuck she worked for.
Speaker 1: She come over there.
Speaker 3: Yeah you gotta move, get him out of here, and he's grabbing me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dogs, like, calm down, Dog, they like, nah, you gotta go.
Speaker 3: I'm like, dude, I'm not leaving dog, and they so then they tried to surround me and just hold me.
Speaker 1: I'm like, dog, I'm hosting dog. What is wrong with y'all? They like, nah, no, you you gotta go. And if you ain't gonna move right now, we're gonna move you soon.
Speaker 3: Fat Joe and his people come now. They there's a whole bunch of them. They coming through security trying to hold them off of shit.
Speaker 1: And they got me.
Speaker 3: It's just chaotic back there right be over here dancing. She got a bodyguard dude that back back there, standing there, and she look over and the bodyguard dude look over. He see me over there is chilling arguing with these dudes.
Speaker 1: And he was.
Speaker 3: Like this, hey, now what they did before that? They put a gate.
Speaker 1: I sweated.
Speaker 3: I'm not like they put a gate between me and Beyonce, and so I wouldn't come over there. I swear to you, Dog was one of them gates that He's one of those like like that to keep people walking. Barriers put that there, and I was like, I ain't budget, I'm a stand I just stood that dog. And I was so mad dog and then finally b body gud saw me, told them, moved the gate and let me come over there.
Speaker 1: And they moved a gate and.
Speaker 3: I just walked through that motherfucking like like I was a bad bitch or something.
Speaker 1: Nigga.
Speaker 3: I was like, mother fucking.
Speaker 1: Is like, yo, hey, We're sorry.
Speaker 3: We was just I was like, man, for real, thing, gotta look up niggas four four songs in, five songs in, and then missed the goddamn freestyle, missed all that.
Speaker 1: Ship. Dude.
Speaker 3: I was like, you motherfucker's dog. But then after that, I was it was it was a good time. But security, nigga, how you introduced Like what you say, Nigga, I wasn't even supposed to, Like they told me introduce everybody direct on the tour except for J. They said Jay got his own package, so don't introduce J. And I was like, yeah, yeah, yeah, the fuck.
Speaker 1: You think I'm gonna come out hand and introduce Jay. So I kept a mic on me. I gave him a dummy mic and.
Speaker 3: Kept the mic on and ship just chilling the sitting nigga, and I waited, it's a video that on my post, Nigga.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna need bulltsh it.
Speaker 3: I was walking across the stage o to the DJ booth and I was like, yo, yo, Philly, make some noise. You can actually hear this white dude that's on the PA system that's running the ship.
Speaker 1: He didn't know his voice throughout the whole ship. He went, I really don't know what's going on right now, but just go with.
Speaker 3: It exactly what he said it because because I was like, yeah, yo, yo yo. And so they came over and they was like, cut the music. They told her to cut the music to. When she cut the music, I was like, this all right, everybody give it up for the one and only James, the Roots and jay Z.
Speaker 1: And this white They came snatched and then the security tried to kick me out.
Speaker 4: But other than that nigga, that little dunstuff, it.
Speaker 1: Was yeah, but you gotta get it.
Speaker 3: I was like, because they I say, I ain't coming this fire just to come this far. I'm introducing this dude. And man, we did and good time and shout out to the Roots, Quest Love and Reek everybody.
Speaker 1: Man, such a good time.
Speaker 3: Eric about dude, Brandy man Cline, great man.
Speaker 1: We had a great Yeah. She gave you. I think I don't know. You don't know anybody know that she is Uh, you gave her juice, you guys. That's how you know.
Speaker 5: That's how you know that I took a juice to what you.
Speaker 4: Took.
Speaker 1: Anybody taking Jesus gay.
Speaker 3: That's great, that's what you're saying about birthday. Okay, all right, that's no. Everybody kept saying that I ain't know that. They was like, yo, is she?
Speaker 1: And I was like, I know, is she? I was like, Oh, she did this.
Speaker 3: Act when she was sitting on a woman's laughing, I act like she was kissing and ship like that. She had an at the party. And I went to the after party and I walked over there and it was just niggas everywhere, nigga and I walk over there, I'm like, sup, shup and everybody's just like hard niggas over there.
Speaker 1: When I and more and more I was over there, I was like, I was like, oh, Ship, it's like a bunch of gay dudes over there. But they look rough. I guess nowadays.
Speaker 3: I think nowadays gay dudes is into like rugged gay periods. They look they're looking for men, he said Man Jam Man Man Jam.
Speaker 1: Some ship, I said, they like me, and man, that's up. I don't.
Speaker 3: Let's move on my old space.
Speaker 4: Coming some obviously some other stuff kind of going wrong. It's it's obviously died down a little bit. But the Kevin Hart roast we all know, and obviously you've been in the space for a long time. Roast is supposed to be a certain way, and obviously his roast leaned towards a lot of racism. I mean I was actually there and saw it and some ship I laughed at you, shure I didn't laugh at What did you think about the pushback from that situation?
Speaker 1: I think people.
Speaker 3: My added some extras on in this ship. You knew what she was getting. It's Kevin, it's a rose. You knew what she was getting. Did they say some ship that was bullshit? Yes, they definitely said some stuff that I was like, what it didn't make no sense, Like telling him he can be hung by he could be lynched on a bunside tree like.
Speaker 1: That to me was like, you can't write nothing.
Speaker 3: How many other jokes did you have on your paper that you went, Now, this one's gonna work.
Speaker 1: This is gonna be the one. You know what I mean? I'm a writer.
Speaker 3: I've been writing for years, you know, I wrote for Conan for several years. I'm know how to write a joke, and i know what to take to write a joke, you know. So whether it be clean or whatever, I'm good. I love a good joke, Like, I don't care how offensive it is. If it's good, I'm I'm I gotta put my hands up and go. That shit was funny in the motherfucker though, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: And that just wasn't. It hadn't.
Speaker 3: It just wasn't funny and shit, you know, even the George Floyd should it was like, what.
Speaker 1: Does that have to do with anything? It's like, and why is he looking up? That's what That's what I kept.
Speaker 3: Thinking to myself, Like they was like he was like, yeah, he's looking up, and I'm like, like he was choking looking up or he was in hell looking but what do you I didn't get it, you know, and so I just kind of like, you know, just shot back, like all right, I guess this is the new way of roasting, That's all. I kept saying, this must be the new way of roasting. And I was like, I'm not sure how this goes. But I kind of felt like a hypocrite afterwards because because I'm not gonna let a couple jokes go, the whole night wasn't good to me.
Speaker 1: I thought it was decent.
Speaker 3: I thought it was it was a good show, but I kind of felt weird because I was like, man, some bullshit, and I do, oh Kevin an apology because right after that he had an after party and I was just sitting there like, damn, I do wonder why do nigga said the most dumbass jokes? And I saw Kevin and I was like that shit was a amazing brother.
Speaker 1: He's doing Man, this is great.
Speaker 3: And I felt so fucking like an asshole. I should have been like, hey man, let me talk to you. But I was sitting there like, man, that was some boys shit, Kevin, that was amazing, brother, and I shouldn't have did that. And I was like, damn, I feel bad. I want to tell Kevin how I really felt about it. But I thought that it was a great show. I thought that I thought that it was a decent show. I just wish they really took time to write for the few jokes that was in there, and even that Tony dude. I'm gonna be honest. Tony is a cool dude. He really is me a funny dude. And but when he get in these situations, he always he always crossed the line.
Speaker 1: But other than that, he's just a super cool dude. He really is.
Speaker 3: I'd have worked with him several times, so I'm not, you know, overlooking that one joke that he told that was ill or whatever.
Speaker 1: But you know, he's he's he's he's a decent guy.
Speaker 3: So I just wish that they took their time and had somebody look at that ship and really go, you know, because because I'm quite sure somebody have to look at something in order to agree.
Speaker 1: But just go. Kevin called me like because I don't I need to put that together. I'm sorry, I don't. I don't.
Speaker 5: I don't like what he called me, like you saying stuff that I already know because I watched Roast.
Speaker 1: I understand Rosy laugh at them ship.
Speaker 5: I joke on people, so I understand the whole point of Roast, But what I had to explain the care. I'm gonna always support Cave because that's my guy. I wish from the best, but it's joking on dead people. It's just it's just not some people's taste, and you have to understand that, you know.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So that's what you're getting a flag from. It's a lot of people that really love these people that y'all joking on. They even joked about his pops. I didn't laugh at that, you know what I'm saying, because it's not funny because these people, these people can't defend themselves.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Are you gonna laugh when somebody in your family died and they come to your doorstep? Like if somebody joke on it is not funny no more, you know what I'm saying. So that was the conversation me and keV had, and I'm glad he called me because when I spoke on it, I didn't say his name because that's my god. We love keV and I didn't want to think I love mean to him. I went straight at Tony because he said the joke. I understand what keV doing.
Speaker 1: It's the show.
Speaker 5: I wanted the show to be successful. But the guy Tony, he had to hear my response from it, because shit, I'm the one got to go back to George Floyd daughter when she asked me why people still talking about Hi?
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: I got to explain these things, you know what I'm saying, so people don't think about that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, did you? Did you feel some kind of way?
Speaker 5: Soon as soon as I saw I was watching the show, I stopped the show and went on Instagram because that's just something that I would never do. We don't do that on our show. The mean people to get ahead. That's just weak to me, especially people that's not here. They can't defeel himself. And I don't care who it is. I didn't like the joke about Charlie Kirk, you know what I'm saying, And he said the worst ship about George Floyd. But I still don't wish that for nobody, you mean dead people, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: He got kids. They got to hear people joking about it.
Speaker 5: You don't know how they taking it, you know what I'm saying, So people don't look at it. So, like I said, I understand the roast. I laughed at it, but certain jokes just not everybody tastes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, definitely, No, I feel you one hundred percent. Like I said, I love cav and I understand what keV was doing, and I understand everybody was pushing the envelope. I just wish somebody was there to just be like, I don't know about that one, but I guess they was like, we're just gonna let it all fly and then we're gonna see what happened.
Speaker 1: And we saw what happened, and you know, but did you see what's that? What's that doctor? Dude name?
Speaker 3: Uh the black the black doctor?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he was saying something like he said something like Kevin, if y'all let that ever happen again.
Speaker 1: I was like, come on now, mother, yeah, you know.
Speaker 5: And then that's the thing, like that's when get you fun like cloud chasing. Yea, y'all ain't got a dog in a fight, y'all know what's Kevin trying to get cloud?
Speaker 1: Like? I hated that to it we.
Speaker 9: Gonna cancels, right, So yeah, that's it's just it gets cloudy when everybody starts stepping in and having their little.
Speaker 1: You know, so shot doc this year, bro, bro, I don't like him.
Speaker 10: I have a question though, as like, as a as a comage yourself now, yeah, as a comment yourself now, does your material have to be a little different or are you a little bit more aware of what you're saying? Because like old school, I was born in the eighties, they used to say what in the fuck every day want?
Speaker 1: As long as it was funny.
Speaker 4: Do you feel now these days you have to kind of watch yourself a little bit.
Speaker 3: I think we got a little bit more freedom than what we had about a year ago. Two years ago, we got a little bit more freedom. And the more that we keep knocking the ceiling off this motherfucker and keep saying what we want to say, people are gonna have to deal with it. My problem is this, if you come to a comedy club and we're saying some shit that you don't want, all right, motherfucker. You came in our church exactly, that's our church. We are there having our own discussions, talking about fucked up shit, talk about shit we think it's funny, and because you can't handle it, you want to come in here and try to cancel motherfuckers for what they saying or whatever.
Speaker 1: It's like, dude, get the fuck out of here. You shouldn't be here.
Speaker 3: Just leave, Like, why do you feel like you want to cancel motherfucker because we're not saying what you want.
Speaker 1: It's dumb as fuck.
Speaker 3: So I think people are starting to understand that now, and people are being more leanient to what we can and cannot say. And plus a lot of places, you know, we're starting to lock up motherfucker's phones. You know, you come to a show that motherfucker locked fuck up. But we and we're gonna roll, you know. So that's how we are, that's how we getting it right now whatever, Like well, we're being being able to say what we want to say again because ain't nobody there to document that ship.
Speaker 5: He goes so far on this stand ups, he'll go in his pocket, you know what, Let me try to.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna read right on my phone. Yeah for sure. For the Chicago to Mecca comedy, the Mecca.
Speaker 3: Ship, I'm gonna say yeah from there, I'm definitely gonna say that. But it's so many great places for comedy. You know, I think d C got a roster of great comics, you know what I mean, roster great comics.
Speaker 1: New York, l A.
Speaker 3: You know, Atlanta, Atlanta got great comics. Yeah, it's it's it's it's it's a lot of great people and people that's you know, spread it out throughout the country or whatever. But as far as like having a collective group of comics, Chicago has always been prided on the originality. You know, each comic was different, you know what I mean, Like everybody was totally different, which made you stand out, you know, And a lot of times you go a lot of places, everybody kind of sound the same.
Speaker 1: And especially now, like you can go somewhere here six Kevin.
Speaker 3: Hartz eight, Corey Holkos six Wonder Sykes, you know what I mean, it's like and and and it gets kind of like repetitious and you're just like all right already. But back in the day, it was how original you were and how different you was that that that stood you out there. Yeah, and so these different places like Chicago and you know, they had that, they had that kind of roster.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna say some names. Would you think Bernie Mack what what you mean? What I think?
Speaker 1: I mean when you first hear the name, they like.
Speaker 3: Master since yeah, that's where I worked with Bernie several nights. Yeah, that was hesta running club called Cotton Club and the club called Melchionaiers and the only way you can get on is if you can follow him.
Speaker 1: That was it. So if you could follow him after him bringing you on and he was good. But other than that, you know, you would never work there again or whatever.
Speaker 3: But that was the since the following Bernie is crazy crazy Red Fox.
Speaker 1: Man godfather, Red Fox is like.
Speaker 5: Just just just boss two thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: Foxes Foxes that dude, Jack. Yeah, yeah, he was definitely one and the ones. Robin Harris, another Chicago great. Robin Harris was fearless Jack, fearless his hair and off the dome like baby coming. That's classic forever, you know what I mean. But his his his his freestyle game was even more you know, crazy, like he'd just grab a mic dog go two hours later you dying, everybody, everybody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so Bill Murray.
Speaker 3: Bill Murray is great, great actor, one of the greatest that ever did, especially improv His subtlety was was his was his daily strike man. Just the subtle human that he would have he could just have to give a look and then to destroy as if it was a whole written joke, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: But yeah, he was. He was one of He's definitely one of the masters as well. Dray Davis.
Speaker 3: That's my little brother. That's my little brother in Chicago. Used to live down the street for me. He was like raised by one of my best friends, Chris. And before comedy, d Ray was just just a little little cute little boy riding around the neighborhood on his bike, all nice and.
Speaker 1: Ship and hey Dianne.
Speaker 3: And you'd be like, hey, what's up, man, it's a little bro in the neighborhood.
Speaker 1: We praised him and all that.
Speaker 3: And then when he turned eighteen years old, he got married to a very beautiful girl and he loved her and he cherished her.
Speaker 1: He's just with her all the time. Man. Then she cheated on him with a drug dealer.
Speaker 3: And uh after that, d Ray been on these holes.
Speaker 1: He keeps on being on this.
Speaker 4: Indeed one of the best in eventsiness.
Speaker 3: I want to let you know that keep flop.
Speaker 4: Bad.
Speaker 1: Yes, man, we think that whole.
Speaker 2: He got.
Speaker 3: I saw d one time in Atlanta. I went to go see d I ain't boy shi. He was a woman in the back. He was about to go stage. I'm like, all right, cool. He was like, I see I want I have a good show. He was, I was have a good shown. Have a good show man. I have a show all up kissing them all, dating all three of them. And I was just sitting there like, what the am I doing the wrong?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's dating all three.
Speaker 3: They was all his girlfriends tripped out the shout out to the career.
Speaker 1: Yeah he's not from Chicago, Peoria, that's close enough.
Speaker 3: But Richard Pryor, come on, man, that's uh that's godlike you know what I mean? That's Richie Richard Richard is Yeah, it's it's nothing above that. It's anybody you see doing stand up. I don't care what color he is. It's Richard. It's Richard, like my definitely Richard.
Speaker 1: I uh my funny on you show.
Speaker 3: I had Polly Polly Shore on and just did Polly Shore. Polly sure as the dude, y'all should have on head Polly Shore because his mother owned the comedy store.
Speaker 1: Missy she's still on the comedy store for the past or whatever. She's the one who gave everybody they break. So PAULI, as a kid, used to.
Speaker 3: Sit there dog and watch these Robin Harris, Richard Sam Kennison, George Garland, Ellen DeGeneres.
Speaker 1: He would just watch Arsenio.
Speaker 3: He would watch them night after night for years, and he would just sit there and they were all kick it with him, hang out with him because his mother owned the club, so they would cool with him, cool with him, hanging out, giving him gifts and kicking it.
Speaker 1: But the knowledge that boy got on stand up man, you should have them. That's an interesting call.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how big he was and.
Speaker 1: MTV you geez.
Speaker 4: I mean we remember him and then see no man, and I never know it was until I moved to and see me to.
Speaker 2: Live on the same street for a long time.
Speaker 1: We didn't even know it.
Speaker 2: We did some ship for what was his name? What was the show we did together?
Speaker 1: First ranking?
Speaker 4: That was right around the corner from my house, and so so you live on, so so I live on.
Speaker 1: You didn't even know it.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they had no idea, man, But yeah, yeah, good guy. Richard Prole was that dude. I just was thinking of something when you said his name. Richard Pride told Clarence with the spoon recipes. Bank Bank, Bank Bank, He told the man, I ain't never told the people how the first time I met you. He was like, Yeah, I was on my way to the bathroom when I caught you, and I'm making the ship Saudwich.
Speaker 1: I said, no, go get your job. Get your job.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Richie the Great man definitely definitely not related. But give me your comedic thoughts on Bill Cosby. Man, Bill Cosby, it wouldn't be Richie pryor.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Bill Cosby set the tone jack for everybody. He was like one of the first black comics that was, you know, revered and accepted. They accepted and it was great. It was a move, a bona fide movie star, TV star, you know what I mean. That was getting it. And I mean you can never take away what he done, you know what I mean, and all the people he inspired to do what he what he does whatever, you know, like, yeah, Cosby was one of the.
Speaker 5: Great only black family that did it the right way for years.
Speaker 3: Man, come on, man, like that's what it was and you can't you can't take that away. Also heard something about him that I'm not sure if it's true or not, but I heard that during Doctor Luther, Doctor Martin Luther King's speech I have a dream, he bought the PA system. I heard that too, Yeah, he bought the PA system for them to have to have to speak, for having to speech like he bought that, and I was like, and so many people told me that. I was just like, wow, that's that's real. But everybody tell me that. So when you have a person like that that has done these kinds of things throughout history, I mean, you can't take that away from regardless of what's going on.
Speaker 1: So, yeah, he's he was one of the pioneers of this.
Speaker 4: Unfortunately, sometimes in this kind of little offsect a little bit on, sometimes you have to separate the talent from the person. And I learned that when I came to La like being fans of people and meet them, I'm like, oh, bro, I still fuck with your music, But yeah, you know what I mean, you just kind of have to remove remove you look at R Kelly, you know what I mean, obviously say with you what incredible artists. You know what I mean, you can't, like to your point, you can't erase what he's the impact he's made in music, but you know people have a different opinion about him as a person. Sometimes when you meet these people just kind of have to remove it and appreciate the talent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, like, like you you can't take It's like I guess Weinstein do you erase all those movies he produced. They still sell them, you can still rent them, right, you know what I mean. You don't take away what they've done already.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean. It's they still accomplish what they slippery slope these days. It is about it.
Speaker 3: You can talk about it, right because somebody, right now, somebody gonna be like you like Whitstein.
Speaker 1: It's like, no, I'm just saying, like, do you take away because.
Speaker 3: It's a conversation to be had, do you take away the contributions that these people have given you or not?
Speaker 1: Like? Is that is that a if you do if you don't. Right.
Speaker 3: I feel like when it comes to music, no matter what somebody does, and maybe even movies or whatever, I feel like music is bookmarks to life with no question. So when you hear a song, you remember where you was, what you was doing, who you was with. Right, So, because somebody did something stupid, am I supposed to take that out.
Speaker 1: Of my life?
Speaker 3: Because when they made that song, that song becomes yours when they make it. That's why women be like, that's my song, and yeah, it's your song.
Speaker 1: Now this it commaborates the time that you had when that song came.
Speaker 3: Out, you know, you know, it's a book mark or whatever. So do you take that out of your life?
Speaker 1: You don't?
Speaker 3: Or do I stop listening to that? Because that song comes with a lot of other things, So do I take Do I take that away?
Speaker 1: Like I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't think you do, because that song is mine, you know, and so I don't think that. I think you can separate the two in a sense.
Speaker 1: You know, great, did you ever perform at all? Josephside Club? Loved it?
Speaker 3: That's where I started at all jokes Aside, Raymond Lambert, Mary Lindsay James. They started a comedy club that was black owned, Black ran first comedy black comedy club with uniforms with just no bar and mofucker's walking around the T shirts and ship like it was dress shirts and black pants and uniforms with logos and it was like that, and it's the first of its kind in the country.
Speaker 1: And uh, to have that ship right down the street from where I lived was you know something else, you know, to.
Speaker 3: Go see everybody come there and black excellence and perform and see everybody that came out to the show.
Speaker 1: It to be a marras shod.
Speaker 3: And Michael Jordans and the Bears, and they would all come out and come hang out, and everybody fresh. In the wintertime, it'd be my fucking fifteen degrees. Everybody out and they Minx first Gators, and everybody's sitting up, rolls, Royces and ship all outside. Everybody chilling, big shit, you know what I mean, sitting up, having a good goddamn time, laughing, jumping back in their shit and rolling out going.
Speaker 1: To the club down the street or whatever it was.
Speaker 3: It was a thing to see that because it was like black excellence. It was almost like the Roaring twenties, almost like shit like that all the place. Man, they used to pull up John Singletarry, you know, then pull up God Oakley, a pull up everybody pull up like it was like excellence on top of all the pimps and drug.
Speaker 1: Forget that they gonna be there too.
Speaker 4: Since you mentioned it, I mean, obviously you growing up during some historical sporting times in Chicago. Any run ins with Michael Jordan the Bulls, or Walter Payton and the Bears, or Andre Dawson in the Cubs, any any stories from back there.
Speaker 3: Dog So at the Cotton Club, which is where I was telling Bernie Mack used to host that, right. All the bears and bulls used to hang out the Natsu, right, so they used to come on there and see like Bernie, right, I remember this like yesterday.
Speaker 1: I'm not even lying. I had a shirt on and it had the.
Speaker 3: Bulls right, all all in like seventies clothes with afros, and the ship said the Phil Jackson five. That's what the ship said, right, Pipp and walk in that motherfucker And.
Speaker 1: This before uh, before I knew about.
Speaker 3: Shirt screenings and any like people making up ship. I'm like, yo, did they do this or not? You know, Pipping just happened to walk in the club and I asked them.
Speaker 1: I was like, hey, y'all took this picture.
Speaker 3: Man, motherfucker got me by my face dog and muffed me into this garbage can. I just like rolled down and goddamn the hour and shit of the club, Like.
Speaker 1: What the fuck dude.
Speaker 3: I just got up and was like I just asked, motherfucker, and I just walked out the club and ship the boys they got much by dog. Yeah, that was about my only bullstoy.
Speaker 1: I'm not even got by my face, Like, get the fuck out of here with that shirt like what I was like that.
Speaker 3: But as far as the game teams, Dog, the whole city was shut down. You gotta understand, Dog, y'all know, I well, I forgot where I'm at. But them boys was rock stars. Them wasn't There wasn't no, they wasn't basketball players. It was rock bags, the Beatles, them motherfuckers.
Speaker 1: Dog.
Speaker 3: When they played, the city was shut completely down.
Speaker 1: And it's different than.
Speaker 3: Like I think, like Lebron the Golden State of like like they it's these teams that had these runs or whatever.
Speaker 1: But this is the balls. It was different, Dog. It was you had to be there.
Speaker 3: It was bigger than basketball, Like Mike was Cole the best that ever played, but it was just bigger than that. It was like, I don't know, it was. It was almost like watching a movie every time the game come on, and then when you move into like Rodman coming and that was a whole nother Like it was like watching a movie. Like the characters was Jordan's Pipping and Rodman and you would watch this ship just for the antics of Rodman or watching Pipping go off or you know, Mike just do some old silly ship.
Speaker 4: But they were so good. I mean somehow w GM was on across the country. That's back when it was just basic cable. But WGN was all the way out here on the Catch the Bulls, we catch the Cubs.
Speaker 1: It was crazy.
Speaker 4: W GN was on and we would see Bulls games and CALLI like, we wouldn't see no other regional games.
Speaker 5: We just see Bulls games all of a sudden, you y'all playing with Mike he did. I played for him and against him. I missed him by a year by year. I played with him intimidating. I played against him my last year, I mean his last year when he was okay.
Speaker 1: But you're just being all like you just like it's just really Jordan Nigga, I'm for real. First the first couple of months that was out his necked up.
Speaker 5: But I'm saying, when you meet him, when you when you his rs, I'm like, I tell the first time I met him, I played it.
Speaker 1: I was playing in uh.
Speaker 5: I think Atlanta, you know, I was playing Golden State and we'll beat him. I'm coming out the thing. I heard somebody come from behind me. Had a great game. Great game, motherfucker, great game and a great game. I'm like, who the fuck is this, but like just a smell just came.
Speaker 1: I'm like this, m J. I ain't see him with that, and I turned around almost passed off like a little female. You know what I'm saying. I was pasted up to play it off, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: But from him then breaks me like Jordan, the best player, able to tell you good game.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Like that ship that you pete on yourself, I didn't pee on myself. Next thing, you know, I'm playing for him now. I got a shoot deal, you know, you gave me a shoot deal and all that. But like just just the first time you meet somebody like that.
Speaker 3: Ye yeah, I mean I met him a couple of times, and just meeting dude it's like crazy, you know what I mean. But playing with dude, it's like a whole nother goddamn level.
Speaker 1: Do you know him?
Speaker 2: No, Matt, I don't know him like Jack does.
Speaker 4: I met him and coming across him a couple of times, but no, like real MJ. Stories. But we've been trying to get him on the show since we started.
Speaker 5: So maybe we went to NASCAR and got he called and got us on the phone.
Speaker 1: We was a Nascar. Yeah, I went there too, car if you're there today.
Speaker 4: I would never really want to watch it on TV until I went behind the scenes and saw how it works, and it just changed my whole.
Speaker 1: And changed my whole perspective of that ship.
Speaker 3: It was and I met like black dudes that brew yeah, that had been with them for years, and how they got started with them and all that crew.
Speaker 4: Is an interesting story about how they select them. And we were actually talking about like the black pit crews and what they went through and it was dope.
Speaker 5: We found out a lot of them are ex football players.
Speaker 1: I was just about to bring that up.
Speaker 3: The dude, the mastermind was the black dude who was who said he used to go see ex football players that wasn't playing no more and he would grab them because of their hand in our coordination in order to motherfucking grab a tire, snatched the motherfucker off and on within eight seconds.
Speaker 1: Seven brother, No, this was like.
Speaker 3: Kind of brown skins older dude, a little older dude that that was running in or whatever.
Speaker 1: But he was he was called but Nascar is dope.
Speaker 4: Definitely lowest stand up moment for you. We asked him the same question. He said, he was performing at a male strip club called Sweet Cheeks. You got any wild stories as you were trying to come up and establish yourself in this business, man.
Speaker 1: Don't no. In nineteen ninety two August, I don't know because it's Chili fifty six, I was on the butt Wiser superfestur and that was my first day.
Speaker 3: And I went out there and was in Indianapolis, and I went out and I said, how y'all doing? And these motherfuckers threw shit at me that should not be at a rat concert. Golf balls, cold hangers, pringles cans. It was just all kinds of bullshit that wasn't even at the concession stand, my nigga. They were throwing shit at me, and they was throwing full concession stand drinks with.
Speaker 1: The lid on them, so when they hit on impact, they exploded.
Speaker 3: God, and they hit me with these motherfuckers, and I'm like, I said, oh, motherfucker.
Speaker 1: They were still hitting me, and so I was like, I ain't going nowhere then until you respect me and to promote on.
Speaker 3: The side of get your glass off, and I had to leave and I walked off. I was sticky and ship from all the fucking pop that hit me and I had to sit around. I was only giving four hundred dollars, that was it, and I had to sit around the whole concert sticky like that until that motherfucker on paper and I had to sit there dog like and wait until that ship was over.
Speaker 1: You're gonna wait for it for a hundred nigga.
Speaker 3: They was taking the speakers down, nigga. And then that nigga came over and gave me four hundred dollars and.
Speaker 1: Five up crush and five somebody yo, I'm done with this comedy ship.
Speaker 2: I was just gonna say, was it than one?
Speaker 3: All some dope dealing nigga gave him five four hundred and five.
Speaker 1: You can tell he was like me for honey, some niggas throw my five bag, get me four honded.
Speaker 4: Do you remember the moment you felt like you had made it in this space because it is such an up and down ebb and flow space for comics with her time, you like, okay, I'm here.
Speaker 3: Man, it's levels to all this ship. So you know, when I made it on Deaf Comedy Jam the first time, it was like, oh my god, I'm here, like I did it, you know, But that was for that level, you know what I mean. And so it's these levels that you do stuff. But now you just work, man, and you just work, and you know, you have these moments of that are great and you have moments that aren't great, you know, and you just.
Speaker 1: Do what you can with it.
Speaker 3: But I'll never sit back like I don't think I ever sat back like WHOA I made it.
Speaker 1: I would just be like, wow, this is a great monthdope, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: You just said that earlier to cut you off. You just you've been in this business for a lot of years.
Speaker 1: You just said it. This year has been great. I've been doing you know what I mean. So this year has been great.
Speaker 3: It's been a great year, you know, with everything coming out and everything about to come out here, we got some more stuff coming out. Average Joe is coming out like in August and on Paramount, happy to have a neue home for that. Got another film coming out with him.
Speaker 1: Go through the first season though, tell them to go watch the first season.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, you gotta go watch the first year and this on Netflix. It's called Average Joe. Go check it out and shout out to everybody that's been loving it. And shout out to everybody that's been asking me about it. Yeah, yeah, everybody always asked me about that show. We went down to Africa and shot it down in the Cape Town from the Taking season. Yeah, and it's crazy, y'all been y'all been in Cape Town.
Speaker 1: Beautiful. There's so much ass, nigga. The animals got as nigga.
Speaker 7: The birds all fly low down because all that ass. There's a lot of ass just to keep the birds. This lord too much.
Speaker 3: Ass on these birds. It is amazing down there, Jack shout out to Kpe Town. Damn, I need to go back down there.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. But yeah, we shot down there. Ship.
Speaker 4: Explain your relationship with Conan. You had him in the hood at one point, you love for him, you worked with him. What was that experience like working with Conan Man?
Speaker 1: Conan is probably one of the smartest men I ever met my life. Like he is. He dumbs hisself down so much, but he's so brilliant. He's a brilliant dude. I wrote for him for nine years.
Speaker 3: Man over on a Tonight's show for like like a year, and then we went on and he had this on show on TBS, and I wrote I wrote the sketch portion and sometime I'm a lot, but the majority sketch with him. And man, I got my first Emmy nomination with him, uh SAG nomination, all that with him.
Speaker 9: This guy is.
Speaker 3: He just always taught me, like, because in our business as far as comics, you you you have to fail in order to succeed. I gotta go do minutes that I know only one minute work. I gotta fail in order to get that one minute and then put it to the side, and then go do it again with another ten minutes where only one minute work, and then I add that to my bag and I just keep doing.
Speaker 1: It or whatever.
Speaker 3: So he used to always teach me that you can't always have magical moments, or you wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Have a magical homing interesting, you know.
Speaker 3: And so that taught me to go be fearless and make sure that and know that this job comes with no magical moments, you know what I mean, and to stay persistent and it's gonna pay off, you know.
Speaker 1: And that's what I did.
Speaker 3: And his way of writing and the way that he does has allowed me as a writer to be able to write other TV show and host award shows. You know, me hosting the NAACP Awards. That came from you know, me writing on the American Music Awards for Tracy Ellis Ross, me writing the Billboard Awards for Puffy, for Diddy, me writing the Soul Train Awards for Winny Wendy Wendy Williams. And you know it comes from my late night experience and then now me hosting award shows. You know, it all stems back to Conan and what I learned from him or whatever. And so yeah, man, that's that's my guy. Always will be my guy.
Speaker 4: You know, before we get to the quick hitters, tell us about the old Spice commercials of hell those came about?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I.
Speaker 3: So I was doing a lot of like quirky like characters, you know, like a lot of my characters I do like on Blackish, you know, a Charlie.
Speaker 1: Quirky guy.
Speaker 3: I had a show called Angie Tribeca where Rashida Jones Quincy Jones daughter and we very quirky show. And then on Conan or play these characters. So o Spice knew that I would. I was doing these characters whatever, and they came to me about, you know, being being an ambassador for their for their brand and I was like absolutely. They flew me to Portuguese and we shot all these weird commercials me jumping out of the ocean with fish in my mouth and throwing rocks, knocking over trees and you know, you know, and then when I came back, this guy was like, hey, we got another campaign we wanted to try with you.
Speaker 1: And I was like okay.
Speaker 3: And there's like it's called Men Had Skin Too, and I was like, oh, we could try it and I'm like okay, so we knocking over trees and ship.
Speaker 1: They was like no, no, you'll be in the penthouse chilli.
Speaker 3: Uh you know, you gotta uh got a wife and yeah. And I was like, oh all right, let's let's try it. And we dead it and hit hit like crazy and it just we've been going and rocking for years now, you know. So shout out to Old Spice day man. They are like super dope man. I remember the first they got on the Old Spot.
Speaker 1: They was like, yeah, we want to They was like, we don't want to do with muscles. I was like, I guess that's me.
Speaker 4: All right, quick hitters. First thing to come to mind. Let us know, give me your mount Rushmore of comedians.
Speaker 3: It's the same one. Everybody always probably have Fox, Eddie Richard, and.
Speaker 1: Uh maybe like Dick Gregory. I got.
Speaker 3: I also want to throw also if I can, an honorable convention, I do want to put Dave.
Speaker 1: That's in my top four. Yeah, we put Dave on. That most underrated comedian of all time.
Speaker 3: That's that's known or that's not known, that's not known, but it's a great comedian.
Speaker 1: Don't get his props.
Speaker 3: Ship my man, JJ from Mississippi. You're on the radio down there, JJ, he mother fucking mother stuff. I got to put a nigga between us if I'm on the show with him.
Speaker 1: So, what's what's his name? His name is JJ from the SIP. J shout out, JM. You got to put him, putting him on right now. You're putting him up right.
Speaker 3: There, J from the SIP. And I just worked with J not too long ago. We have to put a nigga between us.
Speaker 1: Best comedy venue you've worked at.
Speaker 3: Best comedy venue that I worked at? Man I did in Chicago. I did like seven thousand seeds out there. Yeah, Man at this place called the wind Trust Arena. That was crazy and it was just me just coming through getting down, and the city showed up and came and rock with me and you know, celebrated and uh it was it was yeah, and it was.
Speaker 1: It was a great It's a great venue. Go go rock out, you know. But also like comedy clubs because they're.
Speaker 4: Intimate, smaller crowd. Question is not on there, but do you have any any new stand ups coming right now?
Speaker 3: I've been working out, man, I have a I have a residency. I like to call a residency at the Improv. That's another club that I like to work out a lot of improv in Hollywood. What nights, man, We'd be random nights and we be in a small room called the Lab.
Speaker 1: It's like only fifty people.
Speaker 3: We have a lot of great people that come through there because when they lock up our phones. But we know have Paul McCartney come check me out, Kanye Fire and Allen like everybody be sliding through that.
Speaker 5: Just text you one piece of advice you would tell a ten year old Dion cole on piece.
Speaker 1: Of advice I'll take at Odon call. It's gonna be all right, It's gonna be alright. Fact, God damn right, it's gonna be all right. Bro, it's gonna be Yeah, you're gonna be real. We laughing.
Speaker 5: But if you could tell yourself that back in there, because you know, I like Opra say, when you get to a certain age, you realize a lot of shit that you stress about life.
Speaker 1: Never have never have, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: So to thank if you could actually tell that that's a that's a good response.
Speaker 3: It's it's like, you know, you you worry about these things, and you know they a lot of people put a lot of ship on the past, but we ain't never been there. I ain't never been you've been to the past? Yeah, me neither. Where I put all your inferences on the past.
Speaker 1: Go watch back to the future, but we ain't been to the future.
Speaker 3: It's all about the now president, you know, it's all about the president whatever, you know, And so I just try to live in that and try to make that dictate how tomorrow goes.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just read something recently there it's like, don't let today fuck up tomorrow.
Speaker 1: Fact MJ.
Speaker 2: Kobe Bron ranked.
Speaker 1: MJ. Go ahead, next, I'm just playing. What was the question? M J.
Speaker 2: Kobe Bron Rank him in your order, m J. Kobe Bryant and who Lebron.
Speaker 3: MJ first, of course, MJ first, I want to say, man, shit, I want to say Kobe Bron.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think, yeah, I think that's how That's how I want to go about it. Man.
Speaker 3: I it's just that time, man, those times, that era at that time and what was available, what wasn't, the rules, how they.
Speaker 1: Were and everything and how people played. It's a difference. It's a difference than that. It's a big difference.
Speaker 3: Now then they just changed the rule again. It's not flopping this. What's the other thing they call it tanking.
Speaker 1: Or yeah, teams can't intentionally lose file baby, yeah, fire baby. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now they haven't changed the one day.
Speaker 4: They did make a tanking role that you can't intentionally lose and the penalties and win all kinds of points system.
Speaker 1: But yeah, the game has definitely changed.
Speaker 5: They changed the roles where it's a new rule where if you land in somebody's face, they can either call it a fire, called it like a flagor file.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, if you can.
Speaker 5: Chance to shot, you just land somebody landing space it could be a file off flagor file.
Speaker 1: So they could just dictate how the game go. Yeah, they always have. They always have yo cans. She shut real quick for real dough. Yeah, the nigas to be cheating the reps this is my I'm not gonna say to be cheating.
Speaker 5: But the fact that all of them are retired golfers and baseball players that didn't make it and never played basketball. They get a lot of calls wrong because they never played the game. So it ain't that they cheating, It's just they never played the game. So a lot of shit that they would never see from not playing a game. So like perfect example, we had Haywood Workman, what's his name. He was a referee, and players actually liked him because the calls he didn't call in the cause that he did call, Like we kind of understood him because he called him from being a player he actually played in the game, you know what I'm saying. So like they make a lot of mistakes because they never played basketball in their life. All they did was referee it. And you can referee it and you played it. A lot of those things that people think they cheating, it wouldn't happen.
Speaker 4: I think there's an agenda. I wouldn't say cheating cheating the heavy word, but I think there's definitely an agenda. And you remember you here to talk about with Allen Iverson one time where Alan Iverson called out somebody and then the refs are talking about the next game. We're gonna call every crossover trick, you know what I mean. So, I think there's definitely an agenda. But I mean one refer it was called for cheating.
Speaker 3: So have you ever seen a ref retire and he just had like big ass mansion cars.
Speaker 5: We did see the rep that said he was cheating. He went back and looked at our playoff games. He was one of the referee.
Speaker 1: He was cheating.
Speaker 11: We don't want to talk about talk about that cheating. You had a couple of games, right. Let me ask you this, do players be cheating? Well, I mean some of them cheating and don't even know it they cheating, don't even know the cheating.
Speaker 1: Showing up.
Speaker 4: I think that big thing now is is scripted. It's supposed to be dis supposed to.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. I don't think so.
Speaker 4: I mean's just there's too much money on the line now and pick the guys love the game so much. So, I mean, obviously there has been a few people that have been point shaved and got in trouble for it.
Speaker 1: But I don't think so you think these kids is earning the money that they getting, that's a different story. It's just some of them, some of them, some of them.
Speaker 2: But the game has grown so big.
Speaker 4: So it's when the game grows and it's you know, it's on five different streamers now, the world game to world game like money comes with that. So I mean these kids are just getting, you know, reaping the benefits of the people that came before them. As we talked about earlier, they kind of put them in a position. But this has always been David Stern's vision to make it a global game, and I think the game is global now when the globalization of the game has brought more TV money to the game. And that's why these guys are making sixty seventy pretty soon in the next three to five years, one hundred million a year from playing basketball.
Speaker 5: What you say is more people. They look like they love what the game can do for him. They love the game like the journeys we had to take to get here, Like you really had to grind, they had to meet everything.
Speaker 1: Are you gonna go make it?
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying, now, shit, you can have one good game and put it on social media, go viral.
Speaker 1: Now you're a star. You can play.
Speaker 5: But then you get around some real players. There's a lot of kids four or five years ago that was all on Instagram. Though he's the next player he did. A lot of these guys came get in college, you know what I'm saying. A lot of them reclass and trying to beat You know what I'm saying, because when they found out they really wouldn't it good because social media made them good. So it's easier to make it now. You know what I'm saying. It's easier to make it now.
Speaker 3: Okay, last question, then y'all we can go on. Uh when y'all first started, I'm talking about when you was first in the league. Okay, when you first in the league, how many per game hose did you have?
Speaker 1: In the stand? Said? Hose per game? I ain't gonna lie if I didn't. I was sending ball boys to go get numbers.
Speaker 5: If I see something warming up and we make eye contract, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: I didn't a man, So will we do a whole segment on that? Yeah, we did a whole segment. We didn't have it come out ball ball people. We never put it out though every arena that was that was the point. You would get the ball. Well, even if you're at a way arena.
Speaker 4: You you know, we're paying a little bit of bread, and he would you go see her in the third row or go get a number, Go get a.
Speaker 1: Number if it's a link.
Speaker 5: He going at halftime yet, bro Bright, then the game. I need some high wings and a bottle of Hennessy because you did I.
Speaker 1: Made something at the game. It's going down.
Speaker 5: You know what I'm saying that the game liquor store closed, telling me the get all that post games? Oh yeah, ball boy Pampa that you gotta find that I had stayed at the game.
Speaker 1: I had to be to stay at the game. Stayed at the games. Should check her phone. I got some I always thought that. I was like, I know, I know they have I was single way whatever hell you came like contacted.
Speaker 2: Money to to Playing in l A is different. Playing with the Lakers is different.
Speaker 1: Damn. I bet that was sometimes you know in Miami.
Speaker 5: First off years and oh yeah, seeing all that, I'm like, my lord, this what just what Miami.
Speaker 4: Lights sometimes players will have the same girls at the game. You murder, Yeah, I thought she took my tickets. No, she took my ticket.
Speaker 1: She took the ur tickets. I'm gonna send her that. I'm gonna send it off to you. What we're done.
Speaker 5: Would all would be like, bro, leave such and such tickets.
Speaker 1: I'm gonna leave the homegrown tickets come yeah. Yeah, we got a Miami story boy.
Speaker 5: For eight hours, we probably didn't sleep, won two games back to back.
Speaker 1: In the second game.
Speaker 5: By thirty day, the two cities stayed out all night day, showed the practice with the same clothes.
Speaker 1: On from the game the night before. They bring it in.
Speaker 5: He's like, oh, let me get back on the bus, and we met with thirty came out one bout thirty.
Speaker 2: Damn we had.
Speaker 1: We were just all on the same page. Good old that. What's up? Boy? I like ship like that.
Speaker 12: Childhood crush Man one of his vintage pieces. It's name Reda.
Speaker 1: Gert.
Speaker 3: You Gert you deserte winks. That was her name, deser motherfucking winks. Oh, brown skin, curly head mother.
Speaker 1: She was so bad. It was so fine. Uh. I used to in the city. She used to live right around the corner from my house. She was cold. She was so cute bad. I used to go over there and color with her.
Speaker 3: I had a box of I had a box of colored chalk. I ain't had coloring like color like I had chalked that was like that. And we would be on the ground on the concrete.
Speaker 1: Dog just work, holding hands, putting in work, putting it in work.
Speaker 3: Dogs just trying to draw something beautiful, trying to draw something differ before, just trying to draw some of.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: I came over there one day with some of my fucking daffer deals. I mean dandelions, the ones you blow on this ship. But I walked real slow. We could blow them together. So I was holding them like this. I get over there.
Speaker 1: That bitch is coloring with another nigga, with my shop, with my show, with my shop, with my shop. I was serious, dog, I'm sick with my chalk. Dog. I was like, I went home so mad the bench. I was serious, little nigga, for like we.
Speaker 3: Only weigh sixty pounds, nigga, I was down to like fifty forty five or some ship sick.
Speaker 1: I thought, oh my face hurts ship with my dog and my shock. She was coloring dog. I was like this yesterday. She was sitting there. She just looked up just that's all she did, just staring at me. And I just ran. I just kept on that be kept on holding that nigga hand and drawing dog.
Speaker 5: It ran.
Speaker 1: Nigga ran that been sitting there and this nigga, this nigga beautiful ship for ship rac nigga. This nigga is an artist. Nigga niggas like doing allthing abstract. Probably how I got you like this?
Speaker 4: Man?
Speaker 1: This tell you so My was like, get that out of here. He's a real water on the That's what I should. I should have got the water. Don't you ever use my God, damn, I should. I should have went that ship up, ship ship, that real ship.
Speaker 5: If you can see one guest on our show, who would it be? But you have to help us get your answer on the show?
Speaker 3: Oh ship, if it was one guest that I would love to see on your show, and I will help you get the guests on the ship?
Speaker 1: Was a good chancewer Darnell rollins, Yes, sir, that's a good one. Yes, sir. Put that call that I make that happen, make happy. That is all shame crazy. Donelle is the shade this shot. I'm not on your team. That's gonna be.
Speaker 4: Yea man, We appreciate your time, best of luck, congratulations on everything that's going on, and luck with everything coming and then come back.
Speaker 1: And kick with us when you guys want to shake out for having me, man, this is live. Man.
Speaker 3: Keep doing y'all doing, man, We are proud of y'all. Y'all exceling noting the sailing off ship man, and keep doing what you're doing.
Speaker 1: Man. Thank y'all for being you. Thank appreciate you. That's a wrap.
Speaker 4: You can find us on all the Smoke YouTube and the DraftKings Network. We'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 1: That's good plea