Speaker 1: Hi, everyone, Welcome to your favorite podcast, Cheeky's and Chill. I hear a lot of great feedback from you guys, so you are enjoying the podcast and that makes me so happy. So thank you so much for letting me in your life. And if you are going through something, it could be anything, because I feel like we all go through something. I definitely was last week. Don't worry, hang in there, it will pass. Take deep breaths. You got this, okay, we got this hashtag no to self Okay, guys. So today I wanted to talk to you guys about comparison and not so much maybe a little bit comparing yourself to other people, but more than anything, comparing yourself to your younger self or to an old version of yourself and the importance of not doing that and why. So let's start off with age. Okay, and I get it. We get older, our bodies change, our skin changes. Especially for women, I feel like we feel it a lot, even men. I think just men don't talk about it as much, but for women it is something. It was something that affected me a little more saying, oh my gosh, like you know, I don't know, my booty is not as perky as it used to be. I don't know, like things like that let us women go through. And I think it's important to really embrace where you're at now, you know, instead of thinking, oh, my body was this or my face looked like that when I was twenty Like, I'm sorry, but I really really feel that the thirties are the new twenties. And I know it's like, oh, it's so cliche, but it's seriously like, I feel better than ever, although I do miss things for my twenties, like, for instance, a lot I had thicker hair when I was twenty five. In my twenties, I hadn't gotten so many surgeries. Being under affects your hair growth so much, you guys, and then just age and stress and hormones and all that stuff. So my hair is not as thick as these are extensions by the way, okay, but my hair is not as thick as it used to be. And I'll look at pictures and I'm like, oh, my gosh, my hair was so long and it was my real hair, and it makes me sad that I'm like, you know what, who cares. I'm wiser now, you know, And I think it's important for us to really just learn to embrace where we're at now and stop thinking about the things that we don't have or that we had before and we no longer have. Like that steals so much joy, you guys. And that's what this podcast, or should I say this episode is all about, is like not allowing our thoughts to steal our joy, our present joy because we're so stuck in either the past or even sometimes the future, because that happens a lot, at least to me sometimes where I'm thinking of something that hasn't even happened yet, and I'm like, why am I thinking about next year? Like just focus on right now what's in front of me. And honestly, guys, the truth is another way to look at it is a lot of people don't make it to their thirties or their forties, or the fifties to their sixties. Like a lot of people like unfortunately, for whatever it may be, like either illness or or a tragic accident, don't don't make it to like the next decade of their life. And it's like, that's why we have to learn to be grateful and to enjoy what we're living in the moment, you know, and just to kind of a little bit more on you know, the age thing. I think that we need to focus on our self worth, you know, on our self worth, who we are inside, what we bring to other people's lives. Look at estabia and not just in the world, but in people that are in our lives. You know, our self worth, our value. It's not just about a number. And it took me a while to really understand that before. And I think it's because the industry that I'm in, to be honest, like it's like, oh, you know, don't don't talk at your age, just always say early thirties.
Speaker 2: And I'm like, wait a second. I started.
Speaker 1: I had to stop and say, what's wrong with saying my real age? You know, for a long time, my management was like, no, no, to say it because it ages you and this and that, Like I'm proud of being in the industry for ten years.
Speaker 2: That doesn't shouldn't age me.
Speaker 1: If anything, it's like, damn, I look back and I'm like, thank God, I've accomplished so much at this age. You know, we have to look at it that way and not let society rob us from what we've been able to not only accomplish, but get through emotionally. We all go through things, you know, and we're still here, Thank goodness, we're still standing. We're doing our best in this very sometimes cruel.
Speaker 2: World, you know.
Speaker 1: And it took me a while because I'm like, oh, I used to think like, oh, I'm.
Speaker 2: Getting too old for this or whatever.
Speaker 1: No, No, I want to be myself and that's okay. Like my age is just my wisdom, you know, getting an age wiser is would I say, you know, okay, so okay, before I lost weight, I would even think about, you know, there's this picture my very i think very first red carpet and my legs look so nice and tone, and I'd be like, damn, Like I just fixate on that, and I'm like, yeah, maybe I'm not as lean, or my boobies were so tiny, you know, and it's like then I went over there and got some big tits and then they're not in anymore, and I'm like, damn, I miss my cute, little perky tits, you know, And I'm like so hard on myself. Maybe yes, we're not as lean, we're not as tight as when we were when we were in our twenties, but.
Speaker 2: Who freaking cares?
Speaker 1: What about again, the wisdom, what we've learned, the maturity, Like I'm so proud of the woman I am today.
Speaker 2: There's no way.
Speaker 1: That the way I've been able to handle certain things and certain people in my life, I'd be able to do that in my twenties. And that comes with age, comes with growing through situations, and I think we need to focus on that more than the physical aspect of aging. You know, we can age gracefully. I mean, I tell you, guys, I give botox, I do feelers here and there, like I do my thing.
Speaker 2: I want to. Good skincare is important, you know.
Speaker 1: But at the end of the day, it always and I know I tell you guys this all the time, but it really is.
Speaker 2: And I know it sounds so cliche, but like it is.
Speaker 1: The beauty is in your heart, in your mind and what you speak about and what you share on social media and what you're doing for the world, Like that is beautiful and that is everlasting, that will always be a part of you, your essence, your intentions in life. You know, that is what I feel makes a person beautiful. And again in my younger years, like, oh, I want a certain type of guy and he needs to be this hide and he all that is out of the window when you get older and you're like, what is really important? Their morals, their values, the way they treat other people, all those things are so much more important than if he's tall, dark and handsome, like.
Speaker 2: That'll fade. It's his heart.
Speaker 1: My therapist once told me, focus on the motor, not the outside, the exterior of the car. The dude. You know, maybe he's muscular, but his motor, that is what's going to get you, guys.
Speaker 2: Down the road.
Speaker 1: And I was like, damn, always stuck with me. So hopefully, you know, teach you a little some something. Okay, guys, So while we're here, I also want to talk about comparing ourselves to our past selves. Okay, whether it be you know, you were an athlete before, or a CEO and you had to hire or a better position in a company me or in my case, for a long time, I was the only girl, you know, doing my thing. I was like the only girl on billboard, like charting on Billboard, and then came a lot of other wonderful women, you know, and for me, I'd be like, damn, like I'm not charting the way I used to. But because there's a lot of amazing women that are coming out, a lot of very talented women, and that makes me happy because there's more women in music. But for a little bit there, I was like, damn, Like it does it can mess with you a little, and that's normal, you know, But I think it is important to just really and I say this all the time because it's true, you guys, like I think we've talked about it, like what causes depression and what causes anxiety. Anxiety is a lot of the time, every case is different, but when we are thinking of something that hasn't even happened yet, we start psyching ourselves out and causes anxiety and it makes us feel a certain way and we just start thinking of things that haven't even happened. Depression is being stuck in the past. And I've been there where I'm like thinking, damn, and I feel less then, or I feel not as cool, or I think am I losing my mojo?
Speaker 2: And that's another thing.
Speaker 1: You know, We're gonna talk about all kinds of things here, but you know, that's one of my affirmations. I am timeless and I am youthful, and that's it, Like I can't compare myself to the younger artists that are coming out or what I was, or if I was charting, or if I was the only one for a while, Like that doesn't exist anymore. And it was causing me depression and was causing me to shrink. And as soon as I let that go, I was like, you know what, I'm going to step into my power, my power of now, the power of Now. If you haven't read that book, read it. Amazing. Emilio has a tattooed on his right here in his arm, the Power of Now. It's an amazing book, and there is so much power in the now, in the present. It is a present, it is it's a gift, you guys, And we need to learn to just focus on that, because if not, we're not able to enjoy again, enjoy what we have in front of us instead of always trying to chase what we want or what we had. And it's like, dude, right now is the only thing that is real. Like, right now, this moment here, me speaking to you guys, is the only thing that is real. I don't know what's going to happen in two hours. I can't go back and think about what I could have done, I should have done what it was?
Speaker 2: What good does that give?
Speaker 1: Like? What good does that do? None at all at all. And it takes a while to really train your mind to be in the present, to be mindful. Mindfulness means being present, being here, being with the person in front of you, you know what I mean. Like there's just so much power in that. And I think that we live in such a fast paced world, you know. I feel like every year's going by faster and faster and faster. I can't believe that we're almost like there's only a couple months left in the year, Like it's insane, and it's happening so fast that we get stuck in like, oh, I just I want to hurry up and do that, and I want to accomplish that, and I want that, I want.
Speaker 2: The next this or what this is all about being stuck in.
Speaker 1: The past, and that causes depression and it just does not allow you to be your best self.
Speaker 2: And I'm telling you all of this.
Speaker 1: I never ever talk about anything that I haven't experienced firsthand. And this is something that I think I was able to conquer, to really just embrace who I am now just a few years ago, like three macs, three years, and it takes time, and it takes maturity. And now I really do enjoy being my age and knowing everything that I know and embracing other women wherever they're at, even if they're younger, even if they're prettier. Like I'm just like, you know what, whatever, We're all just trying to do our best here, you know. And I can look at a woman and give her props and say, dude, she's beautiful, she's very intelligent, and use it as inspiration versus making myself feel bad.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I get it more than anything I understand, especially being a woman in the industry, Like in the pressure that we get, not just me and my industry, I think all of us, I mean even anywhere in our workplace. Like you feel a lot of pressure whether you're a woman or a man, and it's always and it's the world that we live in. But we can't allow that pressure to shrink us and make us smaller. It's like we got to break through it, you know, in every way, like boom pierce through it.
Speaker 2: It's a thing. It really I get it. I know.
Speaker 1: I mentioned athletes a little bit earlier, and I want to kind of talk about that. I mean, obviously I wasn't an athlete. I wish, but I have seen it with some people that I know that played sports in high school and they were very I guess excited to make it to the big leagues or something, or they get hurt.
Speaker 2: I've seen it.
Speaker 1: I've experienced it with even family members that were very dedicated to baseball and for whatever reason, life took a turn or they got hurt and they weren't able to make it. And for a long time, I saw how it just put them in a very stagnant situation. They were stagnant. They weren't moving forward or backward. They were just like I can't believe, they were.
Speaker 2: So just.
Speaker 1: In a hole of just thinking what could have been. And that's why for me, because I've seen it even with certain people again family members, I guess because in the singing industry, you know, like it's that's just life. And I've learned that you can be here on the top of the top, and it's not how you get there. It's sustaining yourself and also knowing when not to give up. It's not giving up when to walk away. I guess to say, I did what I had to do, and it's going to be my choice.
Speaker 2: To stay here.
Speaker 1: Or even if you come a little you come down a little bit, like it's life. They say, what goes up must come down one way or another. Either you're going to do it gracefully or I've seen situations where people have been at the top of their career making an amazing, crazy amount of money. I don't even know if it's amazing, but I'm just saying a crazy amount of money and they just made a mistake and they.
Speaker 2: Weren't true to themselves.
Speaker 1: And I just say that true to themselves or true about their actions, they were honest, and life just took it away and they did it. They were so stuck in that moment that I felt like they never grew out of it. They stayed stuck there. And we're not meant to stay stuck anywhere. We're meant to evolve and to grow. And even if for me, I've thought about it like things are going amazing, Thank God, in my career. I'm able to live where I live right now, and I'm very happy, but I'm not stuck. If I'm not stuck with Okay, this is my home and I have to pay, Like if I can't pay it next here, I want to be okay with saying okay, I'll downsize. It's okay with going back to basics. There's not people see it as I'm going backwards. No, you're just adjusting to what's happening your life now. If imagine if like I just do anything and everything to just work work, work, work, work, and I'm not enjoying anything that I'm doing just to pay this house off, but I'm not enjoying my relationship or I'm so stressed over money, then I'm like the purpose of life, I'm losing out on it because of my ego of like, no, I need to sustain this type of you know, image, this lifestyle because of who I am or who I was.
Speaker 2: And I see that all the time.
Speaker 1: It's like, No, we need to be so confident in who we are that it doesn't matter a title. That shouldn't determine who we are inside and where we're going and what we can still do in the world for others, whether we have a title or not, whether we are on the top of our game or not. Like, and I know it sounds crazy, but it's something that I have seen I have grown up in a very successful family. I've grown up around athletes, and I've seen how much it's affected them because they make that their identity. And again, I've done it with my past self, you know, and it's like, no, it's okay. Before I was like, I was so naive, you know, I was I believed everything and the world was so much better when I was naive, is what I thought. And I'm like, no, like, it's okay. I'm meant to evolve, i am meant to grow, i am meant to be better. I am meant to be different. If people don't tell me, hey, you've changed, then I'm not living. I'm not doing what a human is supposed to do. I'm not supposed to be the same in any way. And that's okay. It takes a while to get there and to embrace that, but I finally got a hold of it, and I'm like, Okay, it's fine not to compare yourself with anyone else, not to compare yourself with who you were where you were, And it just takes. It takes just knowing who you truly are in the depths of your heart, and it takes time, and it takes a lot of tears and accepting, but it is possible. So all I can tell you, guys is I feel you. I understand.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: We live in a world where there's a lot of pressure and how we should look, where we should be, you know, social media, and it's like, oh the cars that we drive, and it's like doesn't even matter, guys, Like it really doesn't matter. Like sometimes when I'm having a hard day, like it's been a couple times at lame, I'm sitting there and I'm just like, okay, I have to remind myself. I'm like, okay, this is my job. This isn't who I am, you know, Like it's who I am. But at the end of the day, there are more important things than saying the right things.
Speaker 2: You know. Because I'm on live television and there's so much fucking pressure. I'm just like, oh my god, And I'm like, you know what.
Speaker 1: Once I get that out of my head, I'm just like, you know what, I am here, I am present, i am in the now. I'm going to enjoy myself right now. It completely changes everything. And I get out of my head and I enjoy and I'm in my skin and I'm in my flesh and I'm like in the present, not thinking of did I say the right thing or how do I look? Or it robs us of so much joy in the present, guys. So anyways, I just want to share with you, guys, because I think that these are things that I think about, that I see, that I observe, and you know, just like sharing it all with you, guys, and I hope that it can inspire you in some way and make you feel empowered in yourself and where you are now so that you can enjoy the now, the present, because again it is a gift, so unwrap it, you know. And before I let you guys go, I do want to end on this note. I think it's something that we are aware of but we don't really appreciate, is time. And I am telling you guys, is because after my mom passed away and the way she passed away, it really put things into perspective, especially when it has to do with time and how that is something you can never get back. And from what I hear, especially with my mom. You know, her and I weren't on speaking terms when she passed, and she would say, I just need time. I need time. And then time was taken from us and time did what it was going to do. You know, we weren't ever able to speak. So I think it's it was a learning lesson for me. And I don't know if that resonates with some of you, but I think it is important to appreciate the time again in the now. And yes, the years are going by faster, but we have right now, We have the day, you know, and sometimes we get so stuck in tomorrow that we don't do what we need to do now right now. Anyways, I'll leave you guys with that, so let's take advantage of the time that we have now.
Speaker 2: Guys.
Speaker 1: That's it, and I love you guys, and I hope that this episode can help you in one way or another. That is my goal, that is my mission in life with this podcast is to inspire you, to empower you to yes, inspire you to become the best version of yourself, and not to beat yourself up if you fall off track, let's get back on it. So I love you and thank you for listening to Cheeky's and Chill. Thank you for coming back each and every single week, and.
Speaker 2: Check out Dear Cheeky's. I love you guys.
Speaker 1: This is a production of iHeartRadio and Make Quintura podcast Network. Follow us on Instagram at Mike Quintura Podcasts and follow me Chieky's That's c h i q u i s. For more podcasts from iHeart, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you get your favorite shows.