Speaker 1: Toss Popcorn is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: Yes uh Hi, I'm Sienna Jacob and I'm Leanna Holsten, and welcome to Toss Popcorn, the podcast where two idiots watched every film on the AFI's one hundred Greatest American Movies of All Time, the very slightly less racist tenth Anniversary edition. That's what we were doing for quite some time, and now that we're finished with that, we are watching movies directed by women.
Speaker 3: This podcast is a safe Baba Duck for people who don't know anything about movies.
Speaker 2: Rape point. Today we're watching The Babba Duck.
Speaker 3: Doctor warning there will be spoilers about this Baba duck old film and great point.
Speaker 2: Again, it's now a proper noun, an adjective. Herb She's everything. She is kidding.
Speaker 3: The Baba Duck is obviously non binary. They are everything.
Speaker 2: Oh. I can't wait to talk to you about this movie. I have to talk. We must talk.
Speaker 3: But before that, Sianna, could I please hear your projection? Let's let's do it bad.
Speaker 2: My fucking music app. It is so the Babba Duck to come up on my music app instead of Hi, Leanna, this is cia. I'm about to watch laundry to watch the Baba Duke.
Speaker 4: I have seen this movie before, but it's been a long time. I predict that our protagonist lady gets scared by a top hatted.
Speaker 2: Monster on the ceiling. Yeah, I love you, goodbye. It was all coming back to me and I was like, I think that's right. Yeah, I think that's correct. Though there was so much I did not recall about this movie, Like I thought it was gonna be like this little like top hatted ghoul chasing her around the house like the whole time, and that's really not what it is.
Speaker 3: No, honestly, I wish that would have been.
Speaker 2: The sequel.
Speaker 3: Well, Sienna, here is my prediction for the Babba Duke.
Speaker 2: I would love to hear it.
Speaker 5: Hi, Sienna, it's Yanna. I'm about to watch the Baba Duck. I don't know anything about this except the Baba Duck is a queer icon. I predict I might, I might be very scared. And there's a child.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I forgot about that. It's about I literally forgot there was a kid there. Maybe they like got a friend, or they have to banish it, or maybe the Baba Duck is like.
Speaker 3: The kid's dad.
Speaker 2: I don't know. I love you by so you've never seen it? No, why did the queer community latch onto this? Uh this? Hmmm? You know, I think it was just so much less.
Speaker 3: I think it was less.
Speaker 2: Why and more why not? Yeah, totally totally, you know, And even upon saying that out loud, like I know why, I feel like, yeah, you.
Speaker 3: Know, let's let's call a spade a spade and content warning for the C word here. The Baba Duck serves cons it's true.
Speaker 2: What's to be true? Beyond they're wearing a top hat. They are jazz, the hand saying they are old, they are made, They are a cunty leathery icon. They don't do too much like they have some respect for themselves in terms of presentation, you know, like they aren't doing anything too like they're kind.
Speaker 3: Of just like, Yeah, the Baba Duck is jazz.
Speaker 2: The Baba is jazz. The Bobadock is actually quite a lot like Liza Minellie. If you step back, there's a lot they have in common. And there are people out there who knew that right away. Maybe there's time. Okay, though I had seen it, there was so much, like I said, I didn't remember the child and as soon as the child should have like, oh yeah, of course obviously.
Speaker 3: So every film in order to be spooky must have a child.
Speaker 2: We will discuss it, but after we say, after we talk, Hey girl, hey girl, you told me the first Oh I'm doing you first. Unfortunately, find is sorry, this is the first meal you've made for yourself in a week.
Speaker 3: Oh and we're outing that. Okay, just just air me on the pods worries. We actually will get to that on on my phone notes as well. Yes, I finally cooked the ingredients that I bought. It's so hard to cook the ingredients that you bought. It is because you buy them and then you are hungry immediately every day for something that doesn't require preparing ingredients.
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 3: So finally today I cooked the ingredients that I bought. I want to say Monday totally. Well, to speaks to Saturday right now, it speaks to you. Oh thank you. We'll say that. Not a mental health thing at all. Well it doesn't know, but yes, I finally prepared a meal. I have energy. I'm sure you could hear in my voice in the prediction section that was pre shorking a meal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my god. Girl, it's the day.
Speaker 3: Sorry to date this episode, but it is currently the day after Valentine's Day, and my big plan was to hit the stores for the sales of the Sweet Genius of the Little Treats the morning after TM and I went straight to m and S, which is like the fancy grocery store, to buy their stupid Valentine themed chocolates and there was nothing.
Speaker 2: They threw them in the garbage.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I don't know where the hell they put that. So because according to m Ands, it is the night before Easter right now, and a little bit of pancake mixed in, which is like a weird day in March where they have that they considered to be pancakes and they're not pancakes.
Speaker 2: That's so weird.
Speaker 3: It was so cursed. So I did that, and then I went to Waitrose, an also fancy store, to get their Valentine leftovers.
Speaker 2: Nothing.
Speaker 3: So when I went to Sainsbury's, the people's store, also nothing. And I texted my flatmate and I was like, the L the levels of L that I just took cannot be defined.
Speaker 2: That is crazy. That is crazy. It's like, oh, alone on Valentine.
Speaker 3: Whatever you know what's another What's what's the twenty eighth Valentines of doing that? We're that's old hat, we're used to. That's fine, we know how to do it. The the famously, the perk of being single on Valentine's Day is the day after you get to go buy all the candy for cheap.
Speaker 2: What That may be the only thing I've ever heard of America doing better? Uh huh, because they're there's always garbage. I yearned.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I was craving a CVS. Wow, I felt so at sea. That is so crazy.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was a moment where I was like, Wow, I really am in a foreign country. I'm in a foreign land because this what's happening is fucked.
Speaker 2: What's the point but the point of that? Did you go and look into their garbage cans their dumpsters? No?
Speaker 3: I think that would have been a step down too far.
Speaker 2: My head is in Bob a Duck world. Also, I just watched Hereditary on my birthday.
Speaker 3: For some reason, Wow, I was thinking about that movie while watching this movie.
Speaker 2: Have you ever seen that movie? No? But I've read the Wikipedia talks so much about how scary it is. I thought it was more just like a good movie. I don't know, I get confused about what's scary. Oh my god, I'm so excited to talk about this film with you. Anyway, Hey girl, Hey girl. It was just my birthday, belated birthday. I was so sick. I was very sick. I was in denial until yesterday was the first day. I was like, I need to just be in bed all day. I just have to. I've been sick for a very long time. But my birthday party was the night before my birthday. By the time it hit about ten pm, I was like, oh, I'm not just tired. Something is happening and I need to be in bed as soon as possible. And something has changed. Oh my god, I don't think I told you this. I had to actually ask them to leave.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that happened to me and my flat might Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I put my pajamas on it two in the morning, I changed out of my party dress. I put my pajama a still I could.
Speaker 2: I could tell we were heading towards two in the morning territory because like, around eleven PM, someone went to get rolling papers for weed and I was like, I'm really happy. You feel safe for my home and another day. I would like love this to be like an up all night chatting thing, but I can tell I am dying and I need this to be done. So at a certain point I went, hey, guys, I'm going to bed in fifteen minutes, just so you know. You can do what you want. Yeah, but I'll be asleep in there. But what I didn't tell them was that I was dying because I think I was getting sick. And then on my birthday, Kelsey and I went to get pastries, which is great, but I was sitting in line for pastries and I was like, oh, oh, I can't be out, I can't be standing up. Oh, I can't be standing any more. And then I ate an egg burrito, but turns out I had a lot of ham in it, and something about the idea of ham really turned my stomach and I had to stop eating everything, and then I went to sleep.
Speaker 3: Oh but welcome to twenty eight. To mama, yeah, every day is exactly like that.
Speaker 2: I'm kidding. You were just ill. I was very ill, but I'm still not. I'm getting over it now, but you can tell I have sick voys.
Speaker 3: But you know, oh, Sienna, Papa, could you please ba ba ba ba bad bade. Could you please give us a synopsis of the Babadke?
Speaker 2: Yes, this is pretty literal, and I apologize Baba Duke. The Baba Duke, Amelia struggles to manage the loss of her late husband, who died the day her son, Samuel was born, about seven years ago. It starts to affect the family by this point, and Samuel is being a really weird kid who is obsessed with monsters and weapons. The two of them find a picture book about a scary top hatted monster called the Baba Duke. It takes over their home and then Amelia when she lets him in one day, sorry, when she lets them in one day, the Baba Duke really makes everything horrible and Amelia becomes so scary. In the end, they learn to manage the Baba Duke just as one manages grief, and she and her son finally become close and at peace. The end. Yeah, that ending was so girl coded and I loved it. I was like, I won't made this. I would have made this absolute donk.
Speaker 3: A woman wrote and directed this, and can I tell you it was so good? Yeah, Okay, I couldn't tell what that was gonna be it's really we have to just eat ourselves right into phone notes. Hello, everyone, welcome to phone no Where. It's really not far off from our et impression no Bug Dunk Dunk.
Speaker 2: Where we talked about the notes we took on our phone while watching the film. Leona can't wait to hear what you thought about this, so glad it sounds like you're into it. Your first note, unfortunately, is off. I go to does thedog die dot com. They did it. They did it. They snapped that dog's neck, and I didn't kill the dog. I guess I remember nothing except for must I must.
Speaker 3: I'm eternally grateful for the website does thedog die dot com because as soon as there is a dog or any sort of beloved creature on screen, I go straight there. I say, excuse me, hello, and the website says, yes, Mama, you're gonna want to close your eyes from minute one to nine to one. From our one to nine to one eleven of the film, can I say and thank you, thank you for letting me know.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 3: Unfortunately for me, the movie was canceled right from the beginning. I watched it, but I was like, well, you killed the dog, so I don't know what to tell you, but I gotta say it won me back.
Speaker 2: Really yeah, Oh my gosh.
Speaker 3: The ending, The ending got me back. And you see, I know your first note and thank you for your consideration. You wrote you simply must hate this child.
Speaker 2: It's really about a kid being a little freak. Yeah, did you hate him? Yeah? Or medium?
Speaker 3: I saying I hated that child feels like hate speech. Oh, because that child is so clearly on the spectrum.
Speaker 2: Oh, I wouldn't see it that way.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, that child is saying everything that comes to his mind. He is interpreting things very literally. Sure, he's not responding.
Speaker 2: To social cues.
Speaker 3: That kid has a splash of the tism and that's fine. On top of that, that kid is annoying as well. But the other kid sucks. I hated that kid. That kid was shouting constantly and making your life. Had a terrible haircut, and may I say was ugly? The kid was ugly. I don't know what to tell you. What are you about to say?
Speaker 2: I didn't There were moments where I thought that this kid was I guess, very cute. He pulled my heart strings a number of times, like when he's like.
Speaker 3: Okay, mommy, I was just really hungry. God, I was like, shut up, let her take a nap.
Speaker 2: If it's in a word or if it's in a podcast, you can't get rid of the baba Dad break, We'll be right back. Are there so many memes? Are there so many memes from this movie because it's so iconic. Some of the lines idea, yeah, yeah, I didn't realize that either. One of the lines when when he's like, Mommy, I'm hungry after she turns all monstrous because the Baba duck has taken over her and she goes hungry, Why don't you just ate shit? That's a meme? No, it just seemed memable. I don't know. Oh, I don't know. I don't know that many memes.
Speaker 3: That classic meme of a mother yelling at her son to eat shit?
Speaker 2: Maybe so much? Eight ship. Oh my god?
Speaker 3: Can I say something that's a little bit anti Australian. It was hard to take this movie seriously because it had Australians.
Speaker 2: Go and watch A day A day. Mommy, I said, go and watch a day they day And I'm sorry, darn't don't let it in, don't lead it in, don't let it in so Okay, all scary movies had that edge because for our ears, it's a little bit like of like a fun it's like a game of understanding what's happening. Or also sometimes it does sound very funny, and sometimes it doesn't, but sometimes it does, and that makes it a little bit more of a comforting experience to watch, I think, than just disgusting American accents. That's true.
Speaker 3: I'm glad it wasn't Americans.
Speaker 2: You've said, in a surprise to no one, I have muted the film.
Speaker 3: Well does the Dog Die? Came in clutch by forewarning me of the other sort of moments of horror slash gore ish that would be in the film, But unfortunately that meant that I was expecting them to happen at any time. Yeah, because the website and spoiler alert everybody, the things of sort of body horror that happen are she pulls out her tooth and a guy's head gets sliced in half, is how it was worded on the website, and then she gets stabbed, And so for every minute of the one hour thirty I was like, somebody might be about to pull out a tooth, so let me just preemptively mute the film. I'd say, all that happened in the final eight minutes of the film, I know, and I wish does the dog die head? Let me know that, because I didn't need to be muting a minute eighteen really not like a gratuitous movie all throughout at all. In fact, I wonder if it was low budget, because they don't. It's all a lot of like ideas or her life is just like getting freakier. And for a while I realized, you don't even know what the monster is yet You're like, is the kid a monster? He's so freaky, and then she starts acting weird and then you only see the Baba Duke a couple of times. That it's always like in shadow, it's not like lots of disgusting things happening.
Speaker 2: I mean there are bugs at some point. Yeah, besides that, it's mostly them just being weirdos spooky spooky. Yes, you said it's so funny that the Babaduke. This is so true, Leona. You said, it's so funny that the Baba Duke wrote a cunty pop up book about themselves. I love this.
Speaker 3: So for anybody who's not seen the film, the way that Babaduk is introduced is this random children's book shows up on the weird freak child's bookshelf and the child's like, I want to I don't read this one for bed. And it's a pop an illustrated pop up book, hand lettered that tells the story, the backstory of the Babaduk and introduces them as a concept. And I love that this demon is out there like cutting out a paper outline of themself, illustrating a self portrait, making them into a pop up format where you can pull a tab and the hand way. I'm obsessed with that. I wish every movie villain, especially like horror film Monster, had to introduce themselves in a creative craft when it.
Speaker 2: Takes some art direction, Oh, it takes it makes it is it like introduces yourself.
Speaker 3: It comes to Freddy Krueger shows up as like a collage. It's kind of like Jason that like sword Guy shows up as like a sticker journal. He sticker journals himself into somebody's nightmares.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah, totally totally love that. It takes a little bit of work. It's like when uh, you know, at the beginning of of RuPaul's Supermodel where he like tells a little story about like himself, like yeah, you know in the Brewster Projects or whatever. It's like that. It's like, let me introduce myself a little bit before I enter your space. Get a little introduction like, hey, I'm the Baba, a bit about me. You let me in once, I'm gonna go duke, and then you're gonna let me in. And that's exactly what's gonna happen. Yeah. The only thing that would be better if they had a little theme song.
Speaker 3: Oh that was what this was missing. They needed a like what they do on drag Race exactly like but for the Baba Duck. I'm sure people that just calls me.
Speaker 2: Why can't you just be normal? A classic meme?
Speaker 3: Sienna, you noted OMG the art department that made that book watching it get destroyed and I so you had that While that was happening, I was like, yes, Mama.
Speaker 2: BBQ the bb Duck. That's good, thank you BBQ the Baby Dook.
Speaker 3: I also couldn't believe they didn't say anything about like the Babba Book. Yeah, this introduces themselves via the Baba Book. I could have been having some fun. They needed to have a little laugh a little giggle.
Speaker 2: The Bible dock a baby key, the Bobba Book.
Speaker 3: And let me say apologies to Australia for this episode.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, we're being insane, and I answer being insane huge.
Speaker 3: But because I live with the Babba Duck.
Speaker 2: And Leona does live with the Baba Duke by.
Speaker 3: The way, yeah, it's not my fault. The Babaduk lives in my laundry basket.
Speaker 2: Oh, Leon, a great point. You said we need a stethoscope that detects demons. Yeah, oh my god.
Speaker 3: Every horror film with a spooky child that they take to the doctor, the doctor's like, well, all the tests came back normal. And I was like, well, why didn't you test for demons?
Speaker 2: If the parent could be like, could you actually use the demon scope? And they do go, oh yep, they're demons in here.
Speaker 3: They need like a cat scan.
Speaker 2: But for demons.
Speaker 3: There's a demon in here an MRI. But the M stands for my God. That's the demon. You know, Yeah, totally, Leoni. You've also said rar x D the Baba Duke. Oh that's so the babaduks vibe that ran.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the Babaduk is just like they see them for the first time. They're like crawling around the ceiling and then they just come down, kind of come down like, yeah, they're like a ring leader at a circus. Yeah, yeah, they are, is what they.
Speaker 3: Really reminder that that's the career they were meant to have. Totally that poor Baba Duck is in the wrong line of work. They don't need to be haunting. They need to be going and hosting Cirq de sole.
Speaker 2: One thing I don't think I even wrote down is the imagine I'm sorry, imagine the Baba Duke m seeing Cirque de Solay. Oh my gosh. They'd be perfect. That is what they're made for.
Speaker 3: Absolutelyact they wouldn't even.
Speaker 2: Stand out there. We'd all be like, no, you you belong, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh yes, it's served disles Kuza. You don't hosted the embodiment of grief at all. You're simply just somebody fit for your job who's embodying Liza Manelli in a speak in a spookier you.
Speaker 2: Know, sort of drag circus. Yea, yes, exactly. You know. What I didn't even write down, but I was thinking all throughout is that the television programs will kind of lit in this like this Australian public television. Every channel she changes too is something like interesting and insane. It's like either alle classic old television, like it's either the Phantom of the Opera yeah, or like Circus.
Speaker 3: TV yeah, because it was all programmed by the Babba Duck. I love by the way of the concerting themselves in media throughout history. It's like, and here was my cameo in Trip to the Moon, the first ever film. Here, of course, I can be spotted in the Wizard of Oz. Yeah, Oh my god. The Baba Duck is a producer. The Babba Duk should have gotten an EP credit on this film for sure. Yeah, produced by the Babba Duck.
Speaker 2: The Bamba Duke. Kiss Kiss.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, Siena, Oh, how spooky for you. You wrote her jaw hurts and she's sleepy and time moves wrong. She literally is me. I found her so relatable at certain points also.
Speaker 2: Did the jaw hurts? Oh, and then she'll like kind of like be sitting there and then she looks up and it's been nine hours. That's how I feel all the time. Oh my god, that's what it's like to be me. I'm sitting there. My jaw hurts, and I look over in three hours of past and I'm like, what the fuck?
Speaker 1: Hell?
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: I feel very related to her in that the way that she's coming apart at the seems is how I feel waiting for my visa application decision.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: She's just like, please let me nap. I'm so tired. I just need to nap for five years. And then she has ice cream for dinner and I was like, hello, same walls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Leana, you've said all cops are bobadoks.
Speaker 3: She goes to the station to report that she's being stopped, and behind the police officer, the Boba Duke outfit is hung up on the wall. I said, A cab, a cab.
Speaker 2: We know your secret, we know your secret. Yeah.
Speaker 3: It reminded me of did you ever have that book? That book about that woman who's a teacher and she hates her students because they're all so poorly behaved. So she leaves and she dresses up as a witch whatever.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is she comes back as the bad That is what she does. Yeah, but her outfit is very Baba duck coded. That's true. It is m hmm, it really really is.
Speaker 3: The Baba Duck really is all around. I love the Baba duck. I love the idea it's from love. Actually love actually is all around. The actually is all around. I think if you go to heath Throw Terminal five, you'll find the Boba duck actually is.
Speaker 2: I love the baba duck. Duck is also just oh my god, dreaming that the boy Sana you wrote he's home aloning the baba duck like genuinely, yeah, well like little Jerry rigged things. He's like, I will say, one thing I did love about this kid is that this kid like does understand monsters on another level. This kid is like, by the way, Mom, the Baba do is inside of you. And she's like, no, it's not. And he's like, no, it is. And I know you're not my mom, You're the bobba duck right now. Yeah, just really sweet. Actually, he's like, there's something mom, there's something else going. This isn't you. I can tell this isn't you. And he helps her by setting up a series of traps in the basement.
Speaker 3: Yes, slapping her in the legs, legs and tying her up and it's really scary.
Speaker 2: And then at a certain point of throw up. She's sort of like getting bonked and tripping, spinning and swirling and like trips her, he bonks her. It is very home alone. You're right, it's really funny.
Speaker 3: Actually, Oh my god, imagine home alone six the Baba duck ill versus the Baba duck.
Speaker 2: You've said yes, Mama, and then you've said okay, Mama too much.
Speaker 3: At first when she was like, leave me alone, I want to nap, Please let me alone. Yeah, because this kid has not shut up for one hour. But then she yelled at the child and was.
Speaker 2: Like, you should eat shit. And I was like, well, no, that is too far. What's wrong with me? That that you should eat shit? Made me laugh out loud? Oh god, it made me laugh. I really don't like the concept of eating shit. It just her like it's so visceral. Wow, I guess that doesn't that doesn't it doesn't apply to me as some an actual image. It's just like such a mean thing to say to your cage your kids, like I'm hungry, And she's like, while, whana you just ate shit? That's so mean. It very yeah, it's so funny. That's like the worst response ever. He's like, no, I was just hoping for a meal. I'm a child. I literally can't feed myself. She goes, why are you always talk talk talking, And I was like, the Bobbadook, the Bobbadook, using the Bobbadocks, this is a parallel, parallel structure. Oh yes, talk talk talking whatever.
Speaker 3: I am bic pentameter. But for the Baba Duke, I am book, I am book, I am dook, I am book, I am book, I am babomed.
Speaker 2: Yep, she was using I am dook babomed, which is written which I am. Yeah, Leanna, you said two freaks jump scaring each other, and you've said Mama's bad day. Alternate title for the film Mama's Bound. Mama goes Baba today Mama Duke.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, these two freaks when she's sneaking around the house looking for her son because she's gone demon mode and her son is hiding. But they're both such freaks that it's unclear which of them is supposed to be the jump scar. Yeah, And I was like, this house is hell. Imagine you are a freak who lives with another freak, so every time you see each other, you're both.
Speaker 2: Going oh yeah, by the way, exhausting The first half of this movie is just the kid being weird and people being like, your kid's a freak. I can't, I can't. I can't stand being around your kid.
Speaker 3: He's such a funke a height being around him, I don't want to and then want to be around your son.
Speaker 2: He's okay, okay, he's okay, it's okay, and then out of a out of a treehouse and she's like, yeah, breaks her face. He's not okay. It's like, sorry, mama's bad day, colon, Mama's mad. Duke. You've said cat cow, she does cat cow? Yeah, yeah, that's really funny. That cat cow, I bet, can be found in almost any horror film. He knows Faratu we saw it in the Babad. There's no way to expel anything from your body or uh and what's the oppisode expell inhale inhale it into your body except for cat cow in the scary movie. Yeah.
Speaker 3: I the next time I do cat cow, I'm gonna be thinking about that. Leon those demons out pleaas Leoni.
Speaker 2: You've said the Babaduk is CPT.
Speaker 3: I guess, well, well, I realized when it becomes clear that it's about grief. It's like, oh, the Babaduk just wants you to process your trauma. The Baba Duck is literally cognitive processing therapy because I've done CPT and it's like homework assignments each week that you like fill out, and that's basically the Baba Duck is having you do a very intense homework assignment to process your grief by event first of all bye bye, by sucking it in and then terrorizing your child and then barfing it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean it's an extreme until he's your home and then for the rest of your life, feeding at worms, feed it worms, just as your homework.
Speaker 3: I loved that scene you wrote. This is so obviously made by women.
Speaker 2: Lol.
Speaker 3: That scene at the very end when it like approaches her and she gasps and then comes back and it's okay, I got I have goosebumps just talking about.
Speaker 2: It right now. I cry.
Speaker 3: That really is what won me back In the end. I was like, yeah, okay, all right, you got me.
Speaker 2: So many scary movies are supposed to be like an embodiment of some fear we have, and so like the thing about the fears we have in real life is that you kind of have to have some peace with them. And grief is such a powerful one to I feel like sometimes the Babaduck has talked about like, oh, yeah, it's about grief, and so we already like we I don't know, I had no idea. I knew it was about a queer icon. I didn't know it was also I knew that about it. But it's almost kind of like that's its gimmick sometimes is what like the way that I've heard it And I don't know if that's true. I don't have I don't know, but like I, I think it's so powerful even if you know that it's about that, because grief is such a scary thing that we just have to experience in our life. It's just like and such a different I love.
Speaker 3: The the message of like grief stays with you. Yeah, you have to keep living with you. You can't get rid of the baba duc, but you can find a way to keep to keep going.
Speaker 2: To manage it, to put it somewhere. It's it's it's And then when the.
Speaker 3: Kids, like toll I ever meet them and she was like when you're older, and I was like, oh my god, that's also true, Like you will it comes for us all like we do all go through that and experience that, and again it doesn't go away. It stays with you forever. But I love that, like illustration of grief, how it's like a big circle in your life and then it stays that same size, but then your life right expands around it. Right, your life becomes full with other things as well. And that's also very the Baba Duck. Yeah, we always are with the Baba Dook, but now she's also got.
Speaker 2: In peace with it. It's not like the main thing in her life. Like I also thought it was so beautiful the ending where she's finally able to just stay out loud, like, well, the reason for this is because it's like, oh, well, you never celebrated your son's birthday before. She's like, well, her, my son's father died that day, so this is the first time we're doing it, or your son.
Speaker 3: We must say, my son's incredibly hot, father, I know, what the hell, let's discuss that. That has to be discussed. I also wonder she was in mourning. Yeah, she lost dad. Ass is your son being a little freak? Take a few minutes off, because otherwise you're gonna start having mama's bad day, We'll be right back.
Speaker 2: I thought it was so so sweet though, when she goes, oh, I love when women make things when when they're like, oh, yeah, well, three weeks is a long time to be out for kids, because a lot of this movie also is her as a single mom really struggling and everybody judging her, and she's just like really having a hard time, and people are getting tired of her shit and her like her sadness and her disorganization, and they're like, oh, well, he's been out of school for three weeks now, it's like a long time. And she goes, we needed some time. We needed some time because they needed some time, because you just need some time to sort things out, to deal with it because grief is a really hard thing. Was so sweet. Yeah, she got some confidence around that, like you said, like her life is growing around it. But yeah, I just it. Really these are the kind of things where I'm like, oh, I get why you'd make a horror movie out of this, because that is just a dark part of life and it's like a struggle, it's a battle. Hmmm. I love when women make things. Yes, a scary movie that ends with her going sh the monster. Oh yeah.
Speaker 4: Work.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, Lena, your final note is honestly work. Yeah, really, yes, yes, Leona trages. Yes, where we give badges for Boba douk, Yeah, of course, and trages for the traumas that are holding us back in.
Speaker 3: Process and process. Yes, Oh, I have a badge for this is where the why can't you just be normal? Meme comes from where she's yelling at her son in the back seat and she goes, why can't you just be normal? And it cuts to the sun and the caption is just screaming.
Speaker 2: I love that meme. Badge for oh, ending with compassion. I love the ending so much as we just discussed badge for oh.
Speaker 3: I guess this is kind of a badge for myself because I was proud of this, this syntax of yes girl, BBQ the bb dou Yeah, I love that badges were It's so funny to put it on the barbecue on the back. Yeah it is again, Sorry to Australia. Badge for no gratuitous scares or they all come excuse me, they all come in like the last eight ish minutes again, Like it's not just like a super disgusting movie, it's all it's it's mostly psychological horror.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: A badge for the switch of perspective because for the first half hour, Yeah, you're thinking that the sun is the scary, crazy one and you're seeing it from the mom's point of view, and then it switches and suddenly you're kind of you're rooting for the sun, yeah, to prevail against the demon possessed.
Speaker 2: That is such a good point. And then the last it's subtle, but then it's sleigh. The very last second switches to bobaduk Pov when they run down the stade. Yes, I loved that as well.
Speaker 3: And I love the way that they don't show the monster when it like comes yeah upon her in the basement.
Speaker 2: That was awesome.
Speaker 3: Backs off her that also was really cool. Women Women badge.
Speaker 2: For Okay, I kind of loved her hair throughout this movie. I don't know what it was doing it did it look so good? I don't know. It was such a fun shape. Also, it was like it was great big on top and yeah she was she was slaying. I don't know. It was so good.
Speaker 3: It was borderline of trage for me because I was like, this is a woman at her wits end. How is her hair constantly a blowout was like a cooler way though it was not a color hip or a shape I.
Speaker 2: Would Yeah, it was hip that I would have expected. It wasn't just like beach waves. It was cool. No, she's cool, very cool. Yeah, she's cool.
Speaker 1: Man.
Speaker 3: My final badge is a badge for a powerful metaphor for grief.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's really effective. It was so beautiful. Loved that depiction. So beautiful badge for I your mother.
Speaker 3: I'm not, Oh, you know what I have to do? An additional badge from that where the illustrations of the Baba Duk with its teeth, it's got a very specific facial expression, and she mimics that in her acting during that scene where she's like yelling and possessed, she was excellent. There could have been another version of this where there's like a woman who's just struggling and screaming and sad.
Speaker 2: That would have felt bad, It would have felt more. I don't know. We've seen so many movies, and maybe it's because we know she's gonna overcome because this is made by women and they're not just gonna like have her like at the end be like, well, this is what it means to be a girl and I'm just gonna die tragically. You're like, oh, look I have a baby. Rosemar's baby style very nose Fara too. Yeah, it is like yeah, it's tragic, tragic, tragic, and then at the end she dies and it's just like, yeah, it just feels like using the women's fear for no reason. I don't like it's you know, it's not going towards it. But for some reason in this one, like it just I was just really was feeling for her and it felt very in fact, yeah, it felt very like she felt very relatably out of it and the way she was like avoiding. I also appreciate that they made this grief. She's been like holding onto it for seven years. It wasn't like just like one year of you know, it's like the depth of it, you know, instead of it being like, I don't know. I feel like a lot of times in movies, people haven't been they haven't been gone for long enough. Did you want her? Mom died like a year ago? In Wolf? Oh a month ago or something.
Speaker 3: There was a movie was it Scream That was like, but that was last year. I can't believe you're not oly it now, your mom was horribly last year.
Speaker 2: One year ago? What the hell? Yeah? Oh?
Speaker 3: And also was it Twitches? It was Twitches where her mom died like two months ago or something.
Speaker 2: I guess all the movies that we're talking about are not a notably good movie. But but this is one of the reasons why it's you know, it's like a very deep thing she's holding on too, and she's pushing it away because not those things are really hard to deal with in life. By the way, it's not like there's a rule book that everybody just follows. Yeah. Yeah. My final badge is just I think it was just good. Part way through the movie. I was just like, this is really good.
Speaker 3: Baba Duke more like Baba good good, Mama good.
Speaker 2: A trag is trages. I only have one, so you.
Speaker 3: Go, okay, Well a trage for the film canceled itself by killing the dog right for sure.
Speaker 2: Unfortune. Sorry my only one badge in this movie, and I don't know, maybe sorry my only my only trage that I wrote down at least was life Unraveling was super stressful while I was sick on Nike will oh god. Yeah, the way it was unraveling I was like, is this your life? Is being out of it watching a movie where they're out of it? Weird?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that would be freaky. I was freaking out like that, uh trage for has this child considered ever doing something that's not shouting? Not even really the actor just that kid needed to shut.
Speaker 2: Up that kid. Yeah, I get it.
Speaker 3: You don't have to be shouting all the time. I don't know how people put up with children. I don't know how you do it.
Speaker 2: Dart litter me, dart lighted in, dart lighted in.
Speaker 3: Dor't let it in, just like when it was on, when it was on the playground, being like mom it, mama, sorry, just annoying. Children are so annoying. Maybe I'm the Baba duck.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's so funny. We all have a moment in life. Have you ever been just experience. You know, you're you're in a fight with a friend, or you know you're you're having trouble at work. You feel like the world's had to get you, and then you have a moment where you go, am I the baba duck?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, honestly, girl, I hit the CEO of our company with a golf ball the other day, I was like, am I the Baba duke?
Speaker 2: What was the context? Please? Oh, please tell me the context? Please?
Speaker 3: The context was regrettably explainable. It was that we were doing mini golf for our Valentine's social and on the final hole you had to hit it really hard because it had to go like vertically up a ramp. And I hit it so hard that it went out, bounced off the end of the hole, came back, bounced off a wall, and then hit the CEO on the shoulder, and then every the whole company backed away slowly.
Speaker 2: And I left.
Speaker 3: My second to last trage is ew why is why are they leathery? Because the baba duck I love the illustrated version of them. But then I r L. I agree there was some leather going on that I was not ready.
Speaker 2: For the ceiling on the ceiling, what is this texture? Not what I expected?
Speaker 3: No, because there wasn't any any hint of a sine in the illustrations that the Baba in their pope like sheen like in their Baba book. Yeah, and my final trage is a trage for the horror genre is so unrespected, I know in awards ceremonies and I know, award ceremonies are like whatever, but there are some some real achievements are happening in this category, like the acting Sie Davis, the lead actor in this movie.
Speaker 2: She was so good. These are one of the only films also where they can really be explicitly art films in a way that reads like I, I, as a viewer, get something out of watching an artistic horror film. You know, like that has because like they were really creative in this one. There was a lot of artfulness to angles and shadow and things like that, Like I find myself looking for like symbols and things like that, like which I'm much more engaged in, like the movie experience than I am watching all the other stuff totally. So it's strange that we it's just a weird thing to be so disrespectful of. I get some of the like the slasher things seeming cheap, but a lot of horror movies are not like that.
Speaker 3: And let's say a lot of mainstream movies are made by men, yeah, and are terrible.
Speaker 2: Terrible, are terrible.
Speaker 3: We need to recalibrate as a society. Well, Sienna, let's pop up into our next segment, how to pretend you've seen this film.
Speaker 2: This is for.
Speaker 3: You.
Speaker 2: Are at the library looking for a book and you open one up and it pops up, and.
Speaker 3: Samuel pops out of it and says, hill aar, hell, are are reminds me? I love pop up books will always remind me of a film.
Speaker 2: Why are you hiding in this book?
Speaker 3: A film that I love that's a bit a boy and a dad and it's really powerful. I'm so sorry to Australia. It's called The Babba Duke. And I'm gonna talk to you all about it. And in order tell you the whole thing, in.
Speaker 2: Order to shun to push, in order to push Samuel down to the basement and feed him worms, We're gonna give you a few things you can say to pretend you've seen the film The Barba Duke.
Speaker 3: Mmm, yes, Samuel, I've seen The Baba Duke. I can't talk about this right now because I have to go see a man about a thing. And Samuel goes, are, well, where where's the man? And I go He's in the cemetery. Wonder when Tamil was like, my dad's in the cemetery.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, oh my god, Oh this is interesting. Yes, Samuel I've seen the film The Baba Duke. Fun fact in Hebrew, bab bab duke means he is coming for sure, for sure, he is coming for sure. I don't know.
Speaker 3: That is the thing that steps this up from No Speratu, because no Sparatu they're always like he is coming. But the Baba Duke, they're like, they are coming for sure.
Speaker 2: They're coming for sure, for sure, which is said that is true about grief? It is true, for sure, for sure. There's something like, there's something so deep about grief as a human. It's like death comes for us all, but specifically as a human, the fact that grief comes for us all since being social and the people around us are so important. Ah, Baba duke, Babba duke.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, Samuel, I've seen the Baba Duck. This film has a rare example of a man who seems alright actually in the form of Amelia's co worker who shows up with flowers and a puzzle. If a man came to my if a kind man came to my door with flowers and a puzzle, I would say, well, perhaps today I am not.
Speaker 2: The Baba Duck. Do come in? That is sweet? Come in, yes, Samuel, I have seen the film The Baba Duke. Despite the fact that the film was the first to be selected for Sundance Festival that year, director Jennifer Kent feared that American audiences would dislike it, would dislike its unconventionality. She was relieved when the film was very well received in the USA and got excellent reviews. Yeah, I feel like we love that movie here. I don't know Film Rose and the Queer Icon of the Icons alike. I didn't know that the film was beloved. I knew the Baba Dooke themselves, but I love that. I think the reason I saw it in college was because of Film Bros. Mm you, I know you. I first, I hadn't remember it, and now I saw it again and I'm like, oh, my god, work, work, I go.
Speaker 3: I begin to reply to Samuel, but then my perfect angel of the dog, Bugsy, starts barking at him, and I realize, oh, I'm sorry, I can't continue this conversation because I believe you are currently possessed by the Baba Dooke, Samuel, so I will be taking my business and my dog elsewhere.
Speaker 2: Yes. Sorry, I just saw some really really funny trivia pieces which explain a lot. Yes, yes, Samuel, I have seen the Bobba Dook. Here are the two best pieces of trivia about this movie. Baba duck is an anagram of a bad book. Well, and yep, this answers a lot of our questions. Uh, yes, Samuel, I've seen this film. And Leanna, the film became a meme and symbol for the LGBTQ community after Netflix accidentally placed it under lgbt Movies. Yes, oh that's how it started. I forgot about that.
Speaker 3: That's so yes, and then all of the drawings of the Babba duck with the rainbow behind them were like, oh.
Speaker 2: What do you know that we don't? Yeah, but it all makes sense, they are. It all makes love that.
Speaker 3: The Babba duck is so queer.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's so bab I love when accidents, like when there's a moment in capitalism. Yeah, it makes us all bind together where we're all like yes, yes, yes, yes, yeah, that is so funny. What's the Baba duck doing on here?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I didn't know the Baba duck came out. They came out of They literally come out of the closet in the film.
Speaker 2: That's so true. Well, Leanna, shall we move on to our next segment, which, of course, should you watch this or where we tell you if you watch this film or if you should do anything else with your precious time. Leanna, what say you?
Speaker 3: Oh gosh, I would say, yeah, you can watch the Baba Duck. You do need to be aware that the dog does die, So skip one hour nine minutes to one hour eleven and a half minutes if you don't want to see that. If you're not in the mood for watching the movie, you could do some work on processing your grief. Uh huh, because it is so it is so important to do that, otherwise you will throw up a demon in your basement after getting stabbed in the leg by your young freak son.
Speaker 2: So true, seat, what would you say, just take some time. When you did some time, I would say this movie is great. I would actually quite recommend it. It's also a cool hour and thirty minutes, by the way, because guess what, it was made by a damn woman. She's not gonna waste your damn time. And they tell you a story in that time, and it's fantastic. It's just too like a really good movie. It's enjoyable and it's like, this is the kind of movie that makes me want to make props for movies really badly. Yeah, what I would say you could do instead if you wanted a similar vibe, which is Australian content that has become queer canon for Americans.
Speaker 3: Is it Kath and Kim.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, you could watch Kath and Kim. Yeah, or even more specifically, you could watch Tricksy and Katia watch Kata and Kim yes, which is for some reason one of the most I watch it when I'm feeling really bad because it's so fun to watch them love something so much, watching them in real time experience. How funny katherin Kim is and them just be like Trixy and Kati have to watch all these movies for Netflix. Oh it's also a Netflix, uh Netflix thing. And they're like us watching movies and kind of just like talking about it and kind of enjoying some of them. But the one thing that they actually genuinely enjoy and they're like, wait, we actually got to watch something I loved is when they watch Kath and Kim. So thank you Australia for your wonderful art and your sense of humor. But that's another thing you could watch.
Speaker 3: Also Australia Coded Australia moment. Trixy and Katia watch that show Sex slash Life, huh and they laugh so hard at a line delivered by an Australian actor and then keep repeating it, which is I came to you six months Agar with a ring and the promise of a life. And you said, Naar, my flatmate, and I quote Tricky and Katya to each other all that I came to you six months Agar with a ring and a.
Speaker 2: Promise of a law. So funny you said, nar. Also Katherin Kim made by women, Australian women.
Speaker 3: Sleigh sore sly rate the film The Baba Duke.
Speaker 2: I would rate the film The Baba Duke five your mothers out of five. Leanna, what about yourself?
Speaker 3: I would give the film The Baba Duke four bugsies out of five. Really enjoyed it very much. But they killed the dog and I'm really sorry. You're not getting a full You're not getting full marks from me if you do that. And that is the Leanna promise, mm hmm, the promise of a law platform, my platform.
Speaker 5: Oh Baba, thank you so much for listening.
Speaker 2: This has been our episode on the bab Women He Women Uh. You can find us at toss Popcorn on Instagram, where we post lovely means and posters of all of our movies. You can find us on patreon dot com slash toss Popcorn, where we've been posting honestly more and more fun movies. Soon we're going to do one that's the movie I worked on that. It is probably going to be terrible and I would tune in for that. So if you are able to donate anything, you can even be on there for free.
Speaker 3: Hey, but we really any we really you could get there for a free trial if you want for a free trial.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, but we really appreciate any of the support because we love giving you episodes and that's the only way we can do it. And join us next week when we will be watching the farewell a lot of us. Big love for the women, love the thank you you.
Speaker 1: You can find us on Instagram as at Sienna Jaco and at Leanna Holsten. Please check the description for the spelling of our dumb names. We put out episodes every Tuesday, so make sure to subscribe so that you don't miss an episode. See you next week on Tossed Popcorn. For more podcasts from My Heart Radio, check the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 2: I was watching Severance recently. You ever watched the parts? I don't know. I hear a lot about it. Though Adam Scott's mouth it is like smaller than his eye. It is remarkably small, and it's one of the reasons he looks cartoonish. And I think that he's like somebody you like to watch. But like I was thinking, I think Tony Collette has sort of like a huge mouth. That's what she's sort of known for and things.
Speaker 3: She a wonderful performance.
Speaker 2: Okay, no, but a lot of my spooky performances because she could be like, ah yeah, true, true. And there was certainly now that Adam Scott asking him to scream versus her to scream, the outcomes.
Speaker 3: Are gonna be extremely Yeah, there's a reason Adam Scott was not in Hereditary.
Speaker 2: He couldn't be casting it because when he tries to screams like a