Speaker 1: My next guest knows a thing or two about the state of California. He served as the thirty eighth governor of the state, and he happens to be an Emmy and Golden Globe Award winning actor. He now stars and executive producers the Netflix hit series Foo Baar. Please welcome the one and only Arnold Schwartzernegat to the show. Sir. It is an honor and a privilege. How are you.
Speaker 2: I'm doing terrific, Thank you.
Speaker 3: It came back from Austria just a few days ago and with the little cough.
Speaker 2: So if I have a cough attack in the middle of this, just you know, be patient.
Speaker 1: VI Meal, OK, listen, and I'll do you one better. Dammit, I run this show. I'll pause, cut out the cough, and it get right back to you so nobody will notice the cough. So you don't have to worry about it today. You have to worry think about it. Listen up, honor, before we get into fool Ball, because I can't wait to talk to you about that Netflix series. I really joyed watching it and I can't wait to talk to you about it. But news obviously takes president first. Before we get into that series. I wanted to get your thoughts on the current unrest taking place in Los Angeles after ICE agents rated several businesses and protests that led President Donald Trump to order the deployment of two thousand National Guard troops to the city. What's your reaction to all of this.
Speaker 3: My reaction is I hope that the solvedest problem as quickly as possible, as you know that Los Angeles has gone through some really bad fires recently, and I think this is the last thing that we need right now, and I just hope that they will solved as quickly as possible because it's going to hurt the people of Los Angeles. It's going to hurt, you know, tourism, it's going to hurt business, the revenues which they're always short off Los Angeles and the state of California. So I just really hope that all of them can coordinate that and work together in solveest problems as quickly as possible.
Speaker 1: As mentioned, you served as California's governor from two thousand and three to twenty eleven, as a Republican in a traditionally democratic state. Homeland securities are Tom Holman appeared to threaten to arrest Governor Gavin Newsom before he walked back that comment. On Fox News this morning, Newsom says he's now suing the Trump administration for involving the National Guard to begin with, what are your thoughts on how Governor Newsom is responding to the ice raids and the National Guard being on the ground in La.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, I the last thing I ever do is criticize a sitting governor. I think that you know, when you have been in this job, you know how challenging it is. And on top of it, you know, we have a different point of view and a lot of things. I'm a Republican and he's a Democrat, so he thinks differently about those kind of issues and about a lot of issues as far as that goes. But I never will criticize him because he is to do it his way. People elected him as a Democrat, and people elected me as a Republican, so I did it my way. I was always when I was governor, very inclusive. I worked with the Democrats and the Republicans and the client of State and the independents. I've worked with everyone together to solve this problem. But weld immigration problems then and we have immigration problems now. It's just really a shortfall and the shortcoming of the politicians because they never solved the problems. And this is a creation better politicians in a way, because they don't solve the problem. The immigration issue can be resolved very quickly by giving more in working permits in student visas to people and then they don't have to come in here legally.
Speaker 2: So to me, that is a way to solve it.
Speaker 3: Democrats and Republicans can come together under this issue and solve this issue.
Speaker 1: Arnold, do you find this to be a nationwide issue or is it a special circumstance in a case In the case of California.
Speaker 3: Now, the immigration is year has been going on since Ronald Reagan, and I think that the idea was always that this solve this issue.
Speaker 2: For decades.
Speaker 3: After decades, the politicians didn't because each one of the parties is interested to not solving it because they can raise money based on that. Republicans through the hardline and the Democrats to the inclusive kind of a spiel, and so they all raise money on that, they all campaign on that, so they don't really want to solve it. To me, those problems out there as a politician, if the responsibility not to be a party servant, but to be a public servant. In order to serve the public, you have to solve this problem and to make it the coherent kind of an immigration policy. Right now, we don't have one.
Speaker 1: Last question on this issue. You publicly endorsed Kamala Harris. The Democratic Party appears to be in flux as facts come to light about Joe Biden's fitness to serve a certain term a second term. What does the party need to do to get back on track? In your estimation, even though you were not a member of that party, what advice would you give them?
Speaker 2: You know, no advice.
Speaker 3: I think that they will figure out themselves of the mistakes that they've made in the past, as much as the Republicans always have to figure it out and the mistakes they've made in order to get re elected again. And so I think they will figure out. They're very very smart people in the party, and the Republicans have very smart people in the party. The important thing is just kind of like to kind of serve the people. And if you can prove that you can help the people's lives and you can put this so they can put food on the table, they can take care of the families. If you can do that, then you can get the vote. If you run the other way, and if you're just kind of a political hack that only serves the party, then you have the danger that people will abandon you and go any other direction.
Speaker 1: Listen, that's all I got to ask you about that on this particular subject, because I've got to get into your series on Netflix. Mister Arnold Swartzenegger. Season two of Football begins streaming on June twelfth. Talk to me about this series. I love it. I gotta admit it. I love the father daughter dynamic, both CIA agents. It's been fabulous. What made you decide to do.
Speaker 3: This Well, they came to me with the idea of doing True Lies but on TV and to do the for streaming service for Netflix. And I like the idea because True Lies was truly one of my favorite movies that I've ever done. Yes, and because he has the right balance of comedy and action and drama and violence and fun stuff and love and family and all of this kind of combinations that I thought made the movie so successful. And so I said to myself, if we can do a version of that on TV, I think we will have a home run. And that's exactly what we hit in the first season with the home run. I mean the amount of people that watched it. It was number one for endless amount of time. And so then of course Netflix decided to do number two, and not only to make it number two, but to also make me the chief Action Officer of Netflix. And now you know, then that means that you're not only responsible for your action show, but for others as well. But the bottom line is is, you know, I was delighted when they you know, kind of pulled the trigger and said we want to have a second season. And you know, our contract is for two seasons anyway, and so I was happy that they did in that direction, and we were having a great time shooting it. The writers did a brilliant, brilliant, store you know kind of job in writing it, because I thought, well, there's a lot of things I did not know when I got into this TV business, like, for instance, you know, the beginning the rating of the amount of people that watched the beginning of a series versus the amount of people that watched the end of a series. You know, the what is the completion rate and all of those kind of things. So I was always wondering, why did this series start slow? And then they kind of ramp it up, and you know, I've seen it on second at the second season. I mean, it's like, it starts out great, and he explains everything where we are and the action that the comedy noise, but all of a sudden towards the end, it really starts ramping up the amount of action days and I said, whoa boy, maybe there's a little bit too much, but I mean, any case, they did a fantastic job, and I was so happy to work with the same actors again as they worked in the in the first one, except Carrion Moss came to become part of the team and an odd love from decades ago, and she helped me bring down the Berlin Wall and to fight communism and all those kind of things. So that whole backed up story came back again. And of course now I'm having a dilemma with an old love and I'm, you know, have a wife that don want to gain back, and all of that going on in the midst of this huge, huge skill action in comedy.
Speaker 1: In the midst of all of that with you scheduled to turn seventy eight years of age, if I remember correctly, come late July July thirtieth, If I remember correctly, I mean, do how shocked are you at the success that you're having at this stage and point in your life and in your career you're missed the action you're drawing up true lives Jamie Lee Curtis. Let. Let's not forget how fabulous she was in that movie, and how fabulous of a movie it was overall. But I imagine that you had some reservations as whether or not you'd be able to achieve this level of success at this stage and point of your career. Yet and still you're here and you're doing it well.
Speaker 2: I mean, first of all, you're absolutely right.
Speaker 3: You know, if you get older, then there is not as much interest in you as a major star than it is with the younger guys. And I benefited from Dedvan I was thirty, thirty five, forty fifty years old, and others are benefiting from that. So that's that's clear. But my kind of a you know, staying power has been because I think I chose wisely the kind of projects that I did, and that yes, there was a danger. And I think that's the point that you're hitting is not only the age, but I was governor for seven years, and those seven years I did not do a movie or a TV show or anything like this. So they were just in the replays of other shows that they've done in the past. And so it's very hard to then come back again after that. And by that time, also half of the people, you know, Republicans, half of Democrats. They say about who he was a Republican. I don't want to watch his show with orders.
Speaker 2: So he goes through all of that ords at the same time.
Speaker 3: But that the bottom line is is that I'm very fortunate that I was able to kind of come back after I was finished with the governorship and that I'm at the place where I'm now. But I have to tell you the main reason for this is that I'm in America. Because America still is the land of opportunity. It's the greatest country in the world. And no matter how many problems we have and how many kind of debates they are about leadership and this and that, and the you know, the Congress and the accomplishing everything and all of those kind of things, and the riots.
Speaker 2: I mean, it is the greatest country in the world.
Speaker 3: I just came from overseas and I had an environmental conference in Vienna, Okay. And people still that day come up to me and say, please, anold can you help me to get to America, just like it was fifty years ago and they asked me they can they help them to come to America. So, I mean the desire for people wanting to come here is because it is the greatest country with the most opportunities. And I've seen it firsthand. Everything that I've ever accomplished, because my movie career, which was my family, the money that I made and they're becoming governor of the great state of Curtiforia, the environmental action, the after school programstead that've created, my work with Special Olympics, all of this stuff happened because it was in America. And so I loved this country and I cannot wait to celebrate this two hundred and fiftieth anniversary.
Speaker 1: The feelings that you have that you just described about the United States of America, I imagine you have always felt that way, but has it elevated since you were governor. Like being a governor of a state as large as California, the United stated large state in the United States of America. Being a governor of that state for those years, did it make you elevate your level of appreciation for America even more so in the aftermath of being a governor than you had before you became governor.
Speaker 3: Well, I would say that, you know, I don't think that anything could elevate.
Speaker 2: Okay, my enthusiasm got it.
Speaker 3: About being in America since nine in sixty eight, since it came here, and I was so enthusiastic being here. Then in nineteen eighty three it became an American citizen, and that elevated it. Of course, now I am an American, so that was fantastic. When you become governor, it makes you realize since that didn't work my way up the political ladder. It makes you realize of how complicated things really are and how difficult it is really to work and to bring everyone together local government, state government, federal government. How you as a state could be kind of like an environmentally friendly state, but the federal government has no interest.
Speaker 2: So you have to understand that.
Speaker 3: You have to understand that not everyone can thank the way you do, and you have to appreciate that, and that's what that did. I worked with everyone together and never looked at anyone as the enemy, and I always was very inclusive. And it made this the capital of Sacramento kind of a university for me.
Speaker 2: I learned so much.
Speaker 3: And one thing I learned definitely is my interest in my love for policy, not so much so for politics, but for policy solving problems and how do we make life for people better.
Speaker 1: Now that you're back, you're out of office, you're no longer an elected official, You're back in Hollywood. Are you enjoying it now more than you did before?
Speaker 3: I love it, you know. But it's it's not just you know, doing fubar. It's not just being on a set of food and working with wonderful actors and actresses and all of that. It is that the whole combination of the movie business, TV business, the environmental work that I do, the after school broken work that I do. I make great, great family, I mean make kids. I'm so proud of them. And you know, yesterday my daughter came over with has three. We had three kids, and make grand children. Just love coming over the house and feeding the animals and Lulu and whiskey, my donkey.
Speaker 2: You know, the.
Speaker 3: Dogs, okay, you know, and the pig, and I mean they just love coming over and doing all of that with me, and so they love their Opah.
Speaker 2: That's what they call me Opah.
Speaker 1: Right, How do you feel about doing TV? Because this is your first ever TV role. You've been doing movies all of these years, but to my understanding, is your first TV role.
Speaker 3: Correct, it is the first TV series, and it is quite different because you work much faster, so you don't have much time. You know, in the movies, you maybe shoot three to four pages a day. When you do a TV it's like seven, eight, nine pages a day, sometimes even ten to twelve pages a day. So it really moves much faster because there's not as big of a budget as it is with movies.
Speaker 2: But I mean it's okay. You get used to that.
Speaker 3: You get very disciplined to learn your lines and to.
Speaker 2: Hit the mark. That is the most important thing in this business.
Speaker 3: You know, to me is kind of like listen to the director, listen to the writers, and hit your marks and say your dialogue and then work, work, work. I feel like when I do like a movie, I feel like I'm a plumber get up in the morning at six o'clock in the morning and they go to work and they do exactly what they ask me to do. And then they go home at night and you crash in bed, or you go and have some time to work out a little bit, because fitness is working out is very important. But I tell you it is if this doesn't matter how old you are. If you have a clear vision of making something successful and being involved in a great project like this Netflix project is fuba. I mean, then you're enthusiastic about the whole thing. You have energy, and you to go out there and promoted. Like sitting here right now and talking to you. It's another job for me, right, It's fun for me. I love talking about you, about that to you, about my projects and about food and off those kind of things. So some people consider this as a job and part of the job. I don't even see that the job. I can see that as a fun thing to do.
Speaker 1: I always tell people the difference between the job and a career is a job is doing what you have to do to sustain or elevate your quality of life. A career is doing what you want to do. It just so happens to do those things, and you're talking about a career. And by the way, football, I mean, I got to talk to you about the title of this show. Now, it's originally you know, the acronym originated in the military, which stands for a situation that is f up beyond all recognition? Is that what food ball stands for with the title of this show or is there another?
Speaker 3: Yes, fuber stands for fucked up beyond all recognition?
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, Yes, yeah, it did you.
Speaker 3: I know you cannot say it then because otherwise you get crucified.
Speaker 4: Oh, I say fucked up beyond all recognition? I just said it, like you. Did you come up with it? Did you come up with the title?
Speaker 2: I suggested?
Speaker 3: And the I think everyone liked the idea because they isn't originally a different title, and then they went for it with this title.
Speaker 2: And it's just such a great thing. I'm fuba.
Speaker 3: You know, it's just fun because everywhere you go in the world when you promote this thing, people always ask is what does it mean?
Speaker 2: What does mean?
Speaker 3: Then I tell them what it means, and then they try to translate it in their own language.
Speaker 2: Of course, then it doesn't work. The same way.
Speaker 3: But I mean, that's what it means that the other thing that makes the show success for reason, I just want this add that is which is maybe a term you don't know either or that you maybe don't know, and that is, uh the seventh piece.
Speaker 1: Okay, you know, but the seven I do not educate me.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 3: Proper proper prior planning prevents pissed poor performance. Okay, okay, So that is very important because this show was really well written. This show was very well prepared, and that is the most important thing. Is did you go there for the arsals, did you work in the stunts, did you working all the magic stuff? Did you see on the screen? And then you go all out with that. But it's the proper prior planning that prevents pissed poor performance.
Speaker 1: You know. Last question. I'm thinking about this now and I'm asking myself Arnold Schwarzenegger, an elite bodybuilder, world class athlete, and action hero, on what have you? You're approaching your seventy eighth birthday and you seem like you can go on and on, like you've got so much time left because you got so much energy. What's your advice to those out there who are younger who haven't achieved as much yet walk around far too often acting like they're tired. What would you say to those folks about what they need to do to get a little spry in this step to be as energized as Arnold Swarzenegger appears to do as he's talking about his Netflix hit series Football right here with your boy, stephen A. Smith, what advice would you give Ziemen?
Speaker 3: I tell you one thing, and I think you talked about that many times, and that is the only way you can have energy is when you have a vision. Because when you have a vision, that means that you have a specific goal that you want to go and chase after. And so everything that you do basically is a step closer to discord and making discord a reality. And so to me, when I was working out in the gym five hours a day, I didn't say to myself, oh my god, I cannot wait until I have my fifty or five hundred sit ups over. Oh my god, I have to do another set of lived with five hundred.
Speaker 2: And fifty pounds or six hundred pounds. I didn't do any of that.
Speaker 3: I was looking forward to every single rep and every exercise that I did because it got me one step closer to this vision I had of being missed the universe being the world champion in body building. And the same was also the case with acting. When everyone said you would never be an actor, you would never be a leading man, I was fighting and fighting because either clear vision of being another cleaned Eastwood or another one of the Hercules characters in the movies or something like that. So there's no one could shine me away from that. So that guy gave me energy. The same is when I had a vision about what to do with California and I ran for governor, I could really talk to the people, you know, very openly and clearly about what I wanted to do with California, and they bought in because it was very clear and because.
Speaker 2: I had a very clear vision.
Speaker 3: So I think this is it's all about the vision, because the vision makes you have a purpose and a goal, and then you chase after that. So no matter how your old you are, as long as your a vision, you're gonna be in the red track and you always have energy.
Speaker 1: I just want to let you know it's such an honor and privilege to have been talking to you I've been a fan for many, many years. True Lives is one of my all time favorite movies. I love total recall. Oh, by the way, are you ready for this? One of my favorites. Almost as crazy to say everybody talks about terminated terminator. Terminator. You know another movie of yours. I loved Kindergarten Cop. I loved that one. You're telling you a school teacher for crid out loud. You know what, I'm massperated the school teacher. I've loved you for years and I can't thank you enough. And this Netflix series Football is special. It's got that kind of potential. I really like it. I really enjoy it, and I'm honored to have had you on the show man. Thank you so much, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: It was a great pleasure. Thank you for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, buddy, you take care of yourself. The one and only Arnold Schwarzenegger right here on a Stephen A. Smith Show. You can catch the season two premiere of Football June twelfth on Netflix. I know I'm not gonna miss it. I watched all the episodes from season one. Y'all. It's a hell of a show. It's a hell of a show. M h m hm