Speaker 1: Hello the Internet, and welcome to season three, twenty one, Episode three of Dr Day's Day production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 2: This is a podcast where we take a deep dive into america shared consciousness.
Speaker 1: And it is Thursday, January eighteenth, twenty twenty four yep, which of course means my oh Jack, It's it's a day.
Speaker 2: We have many meanings, so many things happenings. National Thesaurus Day, It's get to Know your Customer's Day. It's a National Synonym Book and Antonym Book Day. Do you like that? Yeah? Okay, good, National Winnie the Pooh Day, and also shout out to the state of Michigan having a really good stretch of results for your teams. It's also National Run Day, so yeah, oh hell yeah.
Speaker 1: Lions, Wolverines, Detroit Pistons got off the schneid.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, yeah, it was big. Well, my name is Jack O'Brien ak thighs, keep.
Speaker 1: On chafin, chapin into the future.
Speaker 3: I want to thigh with a keegel to the sea, thigh with the kee goal, stop water, water, ice closing and pea. I want to thigh thigh right into the future.
Speaker 1: That is courtesy a Lacaroni on the discord Get over it. It was a normal wet stain on my pants, LOCARNI find a new angle.
Speaker 2: Anyways, I'm thrilled to be joined.
Speaker 1: As always by my co host, mister Miles Gray.
Speaker 4: Miles Gray AKA, oh, I'm a dreammer. I believe it's because I'm smoke. Unless we heed shout out to the dreams. They're still coming. They're still rapidly hitting me, and they're beautiful and they're wonderful. And thank you to everybody who I see dream based akas. I will get to those, But first journey.
Speaker 2: To last night, Miles oh Man, I had another one. I was driving with her majesty like down a street and like I said something like cracked her up. It was like so mundane, but I just remember viing. I woke up and it was like one of those things, like you were really liking that joke that I said. It's just like, what the fuck? Okay, you're talking about your dream again.
Speaker 1: I'm like, yeah, yeah, I make my wife laugh all the time in my dreams, only.
Speaker 2: In my dreams. Yeah, it sounds like a nice is my dreams?
Speaker 1: Well, Miles, we are thrilled to be joined in our third seat by a TikTok superstar and the author of the new memoir I Survived Capitalism, and all I got was this lousy T shirt. Please welcome, Madeline Pendule.
Speaker 2: Tame, Welcome, Welcome. How are you what up?
Speaker 5: I'm doing great? Thanks for having me, hear guys.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, it's great to have you. Great to have you. Howard. How how's the book? You know, the book pushing world right now? You know, we have a lot of people on who have books coming out, and it always feels like some version of I am constantly talking about it, doing stuff about it and getting it off the ground. And I saw that you had a goal of usurping Kiyosaki's rich dad, poor dad, and I saw that you did accomplish that. Have you Have you gone fully? Have you fully usurped Dick Kiyosaki?
Speaker 5: So what I've heard so far is that we are currently beating rich dad poored ad in personal finance in a number of different charts, which is very thrilling to me. Okay, because I have a personal vendetta against this book.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's actually the only book I've ever read, which probably never read it, but it's probably the book that I have neglected or like turned down people's advice to read.
Speaker 2: People be like, oh, yeah, you got to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad. Man kill it.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, you are not missing anything. I remember I had the same experience when I first realized maybe I was really broken bad with money, and everybody was like, you got to read Rich Dad, Poor Dad? And I read it and I was like, I'm sorry. The secret is that I need to buy apartment buildings. I actually think that's feasible for me in my life. So do I just die?
Speaker 4: Then?
Speaker 5: And the book's like, yeah, pretty much, you buy several apartment buildings or you die, and those are the two options.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I remember my well, my dad. I remember when my dad got it and I had it gave me low self esteem about my own dad because I'm like, are you the are you the broke dad? Like what do you like? This is? This is like loser behavior kind of why are you reading this shit? Like? And it kind of made me panic, Oh, my parents are fucked up like with money. I mean, obviously we weren't the most financially literate group out there, but I remember at the end, he's like, you know, it's all about that passive income. You know, got to have that passive income. And I'm like, and how are you doing that? He's like, I don't know, bro, I'm a professor. I'm just keep doing this shit. Never never tell you what.
Speaker 5: Okay, your dad was the poor dad then, because I remember reading it and I'm like, I'm sorry. The example of the poor dad is just like a teacher who hasn't been four or oh one k and takes care of his family.
Speaker 2: Right, this is my goal. A loser, a loser.
Speaker 5: My goal is to be a loser. That's what I want. I say in the sub loser status. If I read rich Dad, Poor Dad, and I was like, I don't know, the poor dad feels like he's really.
Speaker 2: Got it going on here, right, No? For real? Well, so I mean, is there anything that, like the book intersected with you personally aside from just reading it that you had a vendet or are you just sort of realize that he is sort of perpetuating a mindset that is slowly degrading the quality of life for millions of people.
Speaker 5: Okay, well that's a big one, the thing you've just said as a major one. But I also think that a lot of these guys, these like old school money guys there. I mean, they wrote their books in the past. They're living in the past. Like it's not the eighties, it's not the early nineties. You know, these things, these tips aren't even like economically feasible anymore. Like forget buying an apartment building. Like most people can't buy a house because all the sudden, single family houses are being bought by real estate investors. It's just a totally different ballgame. So these books are out of touch. They're ethically I would say evil, I think evil, Say they're evil. Yeah, they're morally unconscionable, unconscionable, unconscious I don't even know that.
Speaker 1: Word, unconscious, conscionable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, yeah. And so it's very very frustrating, and I think like a lot of when you're trying to figure out money, like if you come from a place where, like my family wasn't super financially literate, you know, you're trying to figure it out. So much of this is about personal accountability. Like everything you read is just like, well, you're poor because you're a loser, and you're doing anything wrong because you're so stupid, you stupid loser. Loser, stupid, stupid, and it gets really hard to read these things, and you're like, I don't feel like I'm a stupid loser. I feel like maybe life is just.
Speaker 1: Hard, so maybe if you'd tried a little bit harder.
Speaker 2: Yeah, quick, loser test. Look in your garage right now. Are there three lambos in there? No? They guess what l O s e er fucking loser? Hold that up? Three lambeau loser? Yeah? Wow, zero lambeau? Ouch. I know, dude. Only lambo I have is maybe in like a video game that I was playing recently, and that's all I need, you know what I mean. I don't have to maintain that.
Speaker 5: You just need the GTA.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I feel like finance people are like the people who read rich Poor Dad love to tell you.
Speaker 2: They love to be like, you.
Speaker 1: Know what Einstein said, the most powerful force in the universe is do you know the answer to that? Have you ever heard somebody say that? I've heard this like five times, and it's always from the people who tell me to read rich dabfoorda compound interest, like I didn't say that shit. No, Einstein didn't say that shit. Man. Einstein was not weighing in on fucking investments strategy, asshole.
Speaker 2: But people people always attribute like fake ast quotes to Einstein because the like the definition of insanity quote that people always say, like people like, you know what Einstein said, You're like, that's not even true, and that's like as a statement that doesn't make sense.
Speaker 1: But actually Einstein thinks Lebron is the goat. Einstein said Lebron is actually better than Jordan, So yeah, the fuck just some shit Einstein probably didn't care about. But other than that, but the book feeling good. It's doing well. It seems like, so.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I started on the book tour on Friday, and I think it's going to go well. I think it's I'm this one thing I'm afraid of. Okay, So I wrote this book and it's really interesting. When I was like approach to write a memoir, it's called like a memoir with a purpose. So it's a story about my life, but it's a story about my relationship with money, right, so every chapter is like something that happened in my life in chronological order, and then to the end is a lesson I learned about money during that experience. But it is really hard because all of a sudden you're talking about your family and you're talking about stuff like people and your family are maybe embarrassed to talk about. And you know, I have a mother that I like, i'm no contact with. So when someone was like, write this book about your life, instantly, the first thing I thought was like, oh, that's going to be tricky, and I like took all this time to craft this like really fair, nuanced, you know, kind of assessment of my family. And yeah, in the end, before the book even came out, it turns out it didn't matter because my mother's family already wrote an angry letter to the publisher just based off the book jacket alone. So the book tour is scary because of like, oh, go, you know you have these people in your family.
Speaker 2: Capitalism nor got that T shirt? Both? Why right?
Speaker 5: We legally just you get on paranoid. You know, I'm going to show up at the grove in LA and try to fight me.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I meant content for the follow up memoir though.
Speaker 5: You know, I started asking my friends if they'll defend me from my mother at the grove and they're like, am I expected to throw a punch? And I'm like, you're not, not like she goes swinging like you got to get in there and punch my mom for me the biggest thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just answer with whatever whatever she's putting down, like that's the key we're playing in, and then we'll go from there. It's like jazz baby, right right.
Speaker 1: That's right, all right. Well, we're going to get to know you a little bit better in a moment. First, we're gonna tell you listening to a couple of things we're talking about today. Oh, we got so much. We got too much to get to. So I wanted to talk about Boeing at some point there on a heater. We'll talk about Ted Cruz, who endorsed Trump, and if any if his sports fandom history is any indication that's a bad thing for Donald Trump, So good thing for whoever wins.
Speaker 2: We all lose.
Speaker 1: But this guy stinks at endorsing things. So we'll talk about that plenty more. But first, Madeline, we do like to ask our guests, what is something from your search history that's revealing.
Speaker 2: About who you are?
Speaker 5: Oh, I have the perfect one. It's Ronald Reagan FBI files. I was trying to find the declassified FBI files from the time that Ronald Reagan was an informant, yeah, during the McCarthy era, and this is like very goddamn peek, Madeline. It's not very current, you know, but I think this is like really the summary of everything I am interested in as a person.
Speaker 2: Sure, I mean it was also I feel like we started talking about that too, just as like the SAG after strikes were heating up too, because all of you can, like you can draw a straight line from all the SAG strikes directly to Rock Reagan from like always been like yeah, man, so my manager also owns Universal. But like if I'm in this position of the president's sad, you know, like we let's just kind of keep this thing going. And also like I'm gonna fucking rat out anybody who I think is a communist. Yeah, yeah, yeah, right. It's always interesting how like Ronald Reagan is somehow like at the forefront of so many things, like we're trying to figure out this country.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's always Reagan. It's wild. This is like I think, like my life is just like sifting through d classified documents.
Speaker 2: Sure, sure, yeah, have you read that. I Mean they're fun though, you know, especially when you're like they have this out here, for everyone to just like fucking read yeah they don't think. Okay, what was the video that you had where they took the audio down when you were talking? I think wasn't the CIA. It was.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Somebody was like, I'm gonna need to know like the top five strangest things you think the CIA has done, and I was like, oh, okay, yeah, you can read all about these and they're really on their website. Yeah these are real classified anything's done. And then yeah, the audio was removed from my tiptok which I thought was funny. But yeah, the Reagan thing, the thing I thought was really really funny, which I made a video talking about this actually online. So I'm like, this is just so wild. The way the FBI recruited him was they basically pulled like a Regina George mean girls on him and they were like, all of the other really cool Hollywood actors are communists. And I heard they got together and had a party and they didn't invite you and they were making fun of you, and it was like, so sad Ronald Reagan, like you should probably snitch on them because they're mean to you behind your back.
Speaker 2: You're not going to like let that happen to you, right, Ronnie, Like, that's that would be whatever. I mean, I'm not going to tell you what to do. I just thought bigger. I just thought more highly of you than what you're showing me right now.
Speaker 5: So right, yeah, they was.
Speaker 1: There actually a party that, like he had not been invited to where people were making There is no way.
Speaker 5: To know, but guess I'm guessing not. I'm guessing absolutely not, because this is the kind of thing they do all the time. When you're even when you have strange hobbies like I do, and you just like sift through the documents, You're like, oh, this is exactly the kind of little like psychological warfare tricks that the FBI did obviously was like co Intel pro and also the CIA did all around the world. So I just loved it. Ronald Reagan fell for it though, he like hook Line and Singer, not even hesitating. He was like, oh, people said mean things about me.
Speaker 2: That's yeah, well, well I guess I'm not. I'm not a loser, so I'll tell you who. I think.
Speaker 5: He had three lambos for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: That's a three lambo guy.
Speaker 1: If I've ever seen lambo minimum minimum called.
Speaker 2: Him Lambo Ronnie. What's something you think is overrated?
Speaker 5: Okay, this is like pertaining to my book a little bit, but you know, like how people are. People will do this thing where they're like, yeah, I'm getting good with money. I've been doing some investing, and then it's just like the Robinhood app or something like that. You know, there's like these apps where you like buy small amounts of single stock, And I hate these freaking apps so much because I think like it almost perpetuates that kind of rich dad poor dad, like girl boss energy, where it's like, you don't nobody actually takes the time to teach you. It's like maybe a lower middle class like actual like person financial literacy tools that could help you. Instead it's like, well, just you know, you know, investing in stock is good, so just download this app or you invest a few dollars in these single stocks, and you're not getting like the value of diversification. You're not investing in index funds or mutual funds. You're not doing good things that are actually good for lower income people. But it makes people feel like they're financially responsible, so then they like never pursue the next step, like they never actually look into what they should be doing that would be benefiting them more long term. Right, So, I feel like there's almost like a pop finance thing going on in the world. Like we have pop psychology, you know, we also have like pop finance, and I think that's kind of the same thing that goes along with like the rich dead porta thing, the single stock investment apps on your phone, you know, all of these kinds of things. Oh, also like the apps where they help you find your subscriptions and cancel your subcription. Like, don't get me wrong, that can be really really useful. But showing people these apps, especially in like advertising, and saying like, well, you're broke because you're actually paying eight dollars a month more for one subscription service you forgot about, is just like so insulting to me. It's like beyond the pale, and like people aren't broke because they forgot one eight dollars subscription service. Like great, yeah, you have an app that does that. That's so cool. But this whole world of pop finance kind of like in my head, does the personal accountability thing and totally denies all of the systemic structural issues that actually affect people's real life and how they interact with.
Speaker 2: Money, right right, eating too much avocado toast right exactly.
Speaker 5: It's like more manifestations of that same idea. Exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, ever since I stopped eating avocado toast, my credit score has gone up.
Speaker 1: It's it was the main problem in my life. Yeah, and I should admit how much avocado toast I was eating up front. It was a problem both for my health financially and physically, and for the local economy.
Speaker 2: I was told I.
Speaker 1: Was closing but entire cafes.
Speaker 2: There's always some version of like being like, yeah, there's a problem with like sort of X industry or like societal threat or some existential threat we have. It's like, but the solution isn't to interrogate the like their lack of regulations or the greed that got us here. It's actually that you should buy this kind of straw, and then that's the solution and then we complete. Like most people are just like, oh, thank god, I've been offered this consumer solution to a problem. I'm just feeding the machine.
Speaker 5: That goes back to the Ronald Reagan thing too, where he was like the king of deregulation and when you talk about like a lot of what's happening financially in the world, but also like socially in terms of that kind of like peak liberalization of the economy where you're like, well, the government's not going to do anything, and we're going to have these private companies come in and they're going to solve all these problems, even if they're problems that aren't actually the main issues we should be addressing, and they are. They're going to offer you consumption solutions that it's and it puts everything on the consumer, this like personal accountability thing, and it does we become these pop culture kind of consumers of ideology as well. So it's like, okay, when you consume a special kind of straw, you're also consuming a special kind of ideology that goes along with that. And that's where we see like our social and political issues overlap with like capitalism, just like people trying to sell you things all day long, and I think people get fatigued from that without even realizing that that's what's affecting them.
Speaker 2: So at firstly, right, and let me guess before we get your underrated, I want to guess what it's going to be the Stanley. The Stanley mugs thought that so fucking dope that there's such a good investment, but they hold their value.
Speaker 5: No, okay, I like you. I'm a humble person on the internet. I saw the video where that Chicks car caught on fire and her cup still had ice in it. I like you, thought, now that's a cup, that's a cup. It's an impressive cut.
Speaker 2: I love that video, those like ma. She opens the door and it's clearly frozen outside of the car too, and it's like, it's not like you left it in the desert for fucking three weeks. You left it in a refrigerator for a fucking a few days. And of course there's so ic in it. But yeah, the hype anyway, I'm sorry. I don't mean to to ecure what you're actual underrated might be.
Speaker 5: Okay, so my actual underrated one is there's no way anybody could have guessed this. It's so underrated. I stumbled across this podcast that had seven reviews, and I'm like, this is the most important podcast I've ever listened to in my life. And it's this woman who you can tell she doesn't she's not a performer, she's not an entertainer, you know, it's the nice way to say it. And she's just kind of like, I researched some things and I think people need to know about it. And it's called the Memory Hole, and I was like, everything about this podcast is like not marketable, like the name the Memory Hole, come on, like, this is not a great name for a podcast, and she is not an in But when you listen to it, it is so fascinating. And it's about like the Memory Wars of the nineteen eighties. So I'm not sure if you guys are familiar with us, but basically in the nineteen eighties, these battles broke out between like research neuropsychiatrists and therapists where they were trying to figure out how much of our memories we actually can repress when we go through like traumatic things.
Speaker 2: And so the neuropsychiatrist, where as a Mandela effect comes from, right, well.
Speaker 5: This is part of it, yes, but also like the satanic panic was tied into this, And what we keep finding is that a lot of therapists are under the impression, you know, that memories are repressed very very often, But the people who actually research the way memory works are like you're not finding any scientific evidence of this. So it's this wars that that's been going on, especially since the eighties with a Satanic panic, because you would have people come forward and be like, I have these memories of my kindergarten being taken to a Satanic temple and kids were sacrificed to the devil, and the adults are like, believe the children, and then these research ins psychiatrists are like, I don't. That's not even like one, some of these things these kids are saying aren't even possible, but like two, that's not how memory works. And three of the adults in their lives are like leading them, like implanting sure all of these thoughts in their heads. So it's really interesting because by the nineties, we as a culture had kind of been like, WHOA, that was a really bad thing that we all agreed that we would just believe anything a child said, even when the adults in the room were eating them and implanting memories in their head and actually a messing with them a lot. But now it's been repackaged and it's come out again. So it's like this recent resurgence of this idea that everybody has repressed memories about everything. So the memory wars have been reignited. And this woman did this really great podcast. She's like a gen X chick, and she's like, Hey, I was alive in the eighties. I was in college in the nineties when everybody was still talking about recrest memories, and we just keep like as a culture, repackaging this idea and selling these people in different ways. It's super fascinating.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, to put that on that's super interesting, the idea that like memories are these solid things that can be changed and you just like uncover them like that you can like dig around in the mind and like find them, versus memory being this like malleable thing that can be affected that you can Like there's this this doctor who implants, Elizabeth Loftus, who did a bunch of research proving that you can actually implant childhood memories in people's minds. Granted she didn't do like the dangerous ones. She was like, here's a picture of you at Disney World with like bugs Bunny, and like the people are like, oh, yeah, I definitely remember that, and like have that memory and answer questions about that memory for years and then turns out like bugs. Bunny is not a Disney character, you know, she.
Speaker 2: Got your ass, it's a Warner bros Ip.
Speaker 1: Yeah, she's like an early version of photoshop to like create Yeah, or like a memory of a hot air balloon trip and people. Yeah, Like memories are just stories that our brain tells itself. And you know, we've been talking a lot about dreams lately, Like dreams are in there, and you know, there's a whole bunch of things that can fool you into thinking you have a memory that didn't actually happen.
Speaker 2: It's super interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I kind of picked up on that. Are you doing dry January and now your dreams are very intense? Is that what's happening?
Speaker 2: No? I was, so I smoke a lot of weed, but I was in Japan visiting my family, and I just don't smoke weed when I'm in Japan just because of the laws. But so, so I just wasn't smoking weed at all, and so I just had a natural, like sort of cleanse while I was there, and very quickly, just my dreams just went to a fucking like level thirteen out of ten kind of shit. And I was like close as I've been to lucid dreaming I would, I would say, because like I could wake up and I would say, like I actually want to re enter this dream, and then I would just go right back into it. So I had never had that sort of ability or such vivid dream recall before. So yeah, that's just been a that's just been a very interesting sort of dimension of my subconscious that I've has been dulled for very long time and just sort of like, yeah, re engaging with it has been super interesting and just a trip, to be honest.
Speaker 5: My boyfriend had the same experience, so he stopped drinking and smoking weed for dry January though, and he's been saying every single day he's like, my dreams are so intense and gnarly, and I think it's one of those things you don't you don't realize you're missing it, you know, I really have. Yeah, it's like a whole inner life that you're living.
Speaker 2: It's somewhat motivated me to sort of be a little bit more, to abstain a bit more from smoking, because like there's a part of me that like I'm becoming more and more intrigued by it that I just I feel like I want to be as conscious as possible for that kind of thing or whatever it may bring. So yeah, I'm on a bit of a journey right now. For sure, I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: But it all does. Yeah, it like ties in with the memory and the subconscious thing a really interesting way.
Speaker 2: Yeah for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all right, let's take a quick break and we'll be right back.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: And people might have seen the news story where the a door blew.
Speaker 2: Off an Alaska Airlines flight. Yeah, I caught that. You might have noticed that, Yeah, as you are flying around the world.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but United Airlines was trending over the weekend because they found loose bolts on undisclosed number of their seven thirty sevens.
Speaker 2: There was just that.
Speaker 1: The most hopeful I've been that something's going to happen here is Anthony Blincoln's trip from Davos had to be delayed because of a Boeing plane fucking up. So maybe something will actually get done, but probably you hate to see it, you know, Like I'm okay with those people on the Alaska Airlines flight, but a great man like Anthony Blinko and at Davos, Yeah, like I just hate the idea of him being.
Speaker 2: Inconvenicing any sort of in any way. Yes, yeah, exactly, he's serious.
Speaker 1: People that man does so much totally agree.
Speaker 2: We're totally aligned.
Speaker 1: So first of all, just when you're releasing a report of loose bolts on a undisclosed number of seven thirty sevens, my request would be that that number be more how you say, disclosed?
Speaker 2: Maybe.
Speaker 1: But Twitter did its thing and tried to tie the failure of these or these loose bolts to United Airlines having a DEI program and being like, you know, look at the woke United Airlines CEO. He says he values DEI. That's why this has happened. Next, the bolts blow up, giving over skipping over the very clear culprit of Boeing, the manufacturer of these airlines, who have used their massive size and you know, just massive power military government relationships to evade regulations in a way that is putting all of us at risk constantly. There's a great article on a democracy now. There's a Politico article. Oh, that one's about the Anthony Blincoln thing. But the democracy now one covers like just the history of Boeing rushing to update these seven thirty seven MAC series to compete with Airbus, the European consortium and everything, Like the guy who was in charge of like one of the heads there at the time was like everything was being rushed. We had a shortage of skilled employees, we were having all kinds of issues with quality problems. There's just incredible schedule pressure. There's a saying in the factory they call it schedulest king cool. And then so that guy, in response to two fatal crashes that happened as a result of this thing, that he was like, guys, this is gonna fucking kill somebody, like if we just go forward with this. And because there's no regulations in place, because Boeing is so powerful and had lobbied and people died, he left and started the Foundation for Aviation Safety and is now saying like this incident with Alaska, I'm sure is shocking to passengers, but for those of us who have been watching this for a while, it's really not a surprise at all. We've seen ever since the Max has been put back in service, over twenty serious production quality defects that have surfaced and the public is unaware. And yeah, like Boeing was criminally charged in the wake of the two seven thirty seven Max eight crashes, but just like negotiated a deferred prosecution agreement. But it's just this is what we've got, Like the system doesn't even really try to work. It's like not doing any of the things that would effectively like protect consumers. But it's you know, these companies are so big and powerful that there's there's just like nothing that can be done at this point, or nothing that is being done at least.
Speaker 2: It's just like it's just one that like this, along with so many other stories in our country, are just these perfect examples of like regulatory capture. You know, like we're corporate interest groups. They lobbed, like whether that's through lobbying or just like the revolving door of like a capitol hill, like to the point where these interest groups they end up being the ones regulating the regulators. And like with Boeing, basically like the FAA was like, Yo, we have people that we need to inspect it. They're like, yo, bro, what if you actually just ordained our own employees to do the inspections that you're supposed to do and we'll let you know if we find anything like you know on the like that might not be you know, might be not on the level and they're like, yeah, sure, go ahead. So it's like Boeing that did their own inspections on these planes too, and then just told just gave the FA their report to be like all right, and that's what we're saying, So that's good enough, right, rather than having you come in as an independent body to look at like the products that we're making. And so yeah, it's like the same thing with how like the opioid crisis ended up, same thing with how like just you know, our like the SEC and our subprime mortgage crisis ended up. Like there's just so many examples of these things where the industry ends up being the one that makes the rules and then we somehow just like quite literally go into crash into disaster. Yeah.
Speaker 5: This also goes back to Ronald Regan, doesn't it. Everything goes back to these deregulatory practices and the pro business stuff. But yeah, it is interesting like once you start learning too about how the lobbying groups will literally write the laws that they want pass to regulate their own industries, and very often you'll find they're supposed to be sample bills, right, These are supposed to be sample language bills. And then Yeah, when you compare the language exactly, you're like, this wasn't even a sample. Somebody just got paid to sign this basically, and it is. It's really really appalling, and it is something that happens I think in like every era of business, area of business in the United States now. And this is why when I'm googling things like Ronald Reagan FBI files and like, if only the FBI had not told Ronald Regan about a really cool party he wasn't invited to, maybe we would have more regulatory standards from the business in this country. Yeah, it's really appalling.
Speaker 2: And maybe listen to the things his parents were trying to teach him, you know what I mean, and be more in line with that, because like, forgive me if I'm a mistake. But I thought like his parents were like sort of like had almost antithetical sort of beliefs philosophically, people totally correct.
Speaker 5: His parents were FDR New Deal kind of Democrats, but not just regular Democrats. They're like kind of what we would think of his DSA today. They were very much in favor of government spending. His dad, you know, was an alcoholic who struggled to hold down a job, the job he eventually did hold down was a New Deal job, like his dad was employed because of you know, government spending. And this is something that we see like throughout his life, even as he's performing to the political right and doing all of these things that would be the complete opposite of anything his parents had fought for. When you asked him personally, like, well, how did you feel about the New Deal, He's like, well, the New Deal gave my dad a job, so I loved it, right, And it's just like this real conflicting kind of viewpoint inside him.
Speaker 2: Poor Ronald, Poor, I hear that far Well, that's I'm just I'm an EmPATH, you know, And that's yeah. There's a great book called tear Down. Yeah, oh exactly right. Yeah, but there's a book about Reagan called tear Down. This myth that was like sort of my entry point into really like examining the the the real mythology of Ronald Reagan, because like, growing up, you're always like, oh man, everything's like named after him. It's like it's because all these fucking people got so rich off of him. They're like watch this, dude, I'm shout out to Ronnie for taking away all the fucking guardrails that were there that just made me a hyper billionaire. Mister Gorbachev, tear up this ass. I'm sorry you should have said that.
Speaker 5: No, you shouldn't apologize for that.
Speaker 2: Honestly, that was no, it was the other one was tear off My balls was the other one. I think to tear off my tear.
Speaker 1: Off my two all time great tweets that I can't source.
Speaker 5: At the moment, But now I just think of Ronald Reagan kind of was like a general punk rock icon because you know, like what other way, Like I was born in the eighties, Like I know so much about Ronald grig and mostly because of punk songs from like nineteen eighty five, you know. But then yeah, when you think into it, you're like, actually, this is all still so so relevant to our life because the eighties really started that trend towards massive deregulation, and he was part of that movement of like the new right, and the new right was even different than what the right wing had been before the nineteen fifties and sixties, and it really coalesced with him in a lot of ways. And so yeah, when you talk about things like Boeing's door flying off mid flight, or like the loose bolts. You think that these things are just and that's the thing like we do as consumers, right, we think these are individual incidents, but like our brains are also trained for pattern recognition, and it's hard to miss the pattern that these things are increasing in rapidity. We see them happening across like multiple different sectors, and all of it does tie back to. Yeah, this massive period in the eighties of deregulation that allowed businesses to kind of start running the country as in olive archy. A lot of lambos are they have so many lambos. Lambo guys are hurting us all. And the boeing guys are Lambo guys too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we need to let the lambo radicalize us, you know what I mean. Let's swap out Ronald Reagan and now we will hold up the Lamborghini Hurrican as our way, our entry point into radicalization. Let that be a lesson for all the for the youth.
Speaker 5: I feel like one day there's just gonna be a Lamborghini on our money. It's just gonna be like we're gonna be like praying to the God and the lambau. That's what's gonna be on the money. There's gonna be like sixteen apartment buildings just like in a cube around the Lamborghini, like the same way we have like the pyramid with the eye now and it's like this is this is our new religion.
Speaker 2: And underneath it's like, Dad, what does this say? It's like it's Latin. I don't know to read it out to me. E pluribus lambeau. Oh yeah, yeah, that means of many lambeau. That's right.
Speaker 1: All right, let's take a quick break and come back and we'll talk about Ted Cruz.
Speaker 2: And we're back.
Speaker 1: We're back, and Ted Cruz formally announced that he will once again be endorsing the guy who called his wife ugly and claimed that his dad killed JFK. Incidentally, he has tried to square the circle of his support for Trump and recent hears by claiming that both his wife and his father laughed when they were slandered by Trump.
Speaker 2: Clearly that his family a lot of joy. He said, like it because he got first pressed I think on the on the view like in twenty twenty two, and the way he was like, they're like, well, so what's up? Before you said Donald Trump was a vile man, and now you're like, he is the one to lead us into blah blah blah. He's like so he was getting pressed like so are you lying then or are you lying now? And he's like, hey, I reject that question. I tell you how he laughed when he said that, And my father laughed, by the way too. Well, he didn't just kill Kenny's got Jimmy Hoffa's Body's bear in the backyard. But I just love the way he tried to be like, oh yeah, like no El's taken here. We were like he he he ha ha. What do you call my wife? Ugly? So, I tell you what, we loved it. Vote for him because oh man, the amount of people bending the knee again is it's always fun to see Like Marco Rubio, he's back, vivid Ramaswami is on the fucking stage with him in New Hampshire, like on Wednesday morning, like that shit went around so quick it was amazing. And then the Babylon b said he would be running the White House seven eleven, So I'm like, oh, wow, how is how's that proximity to white Yeah, how's that? How's that working out for you? Fam?
Speaker 1: The main thing though that my main takeaway from the Ted Cruise thing is that this is maybe a good thing for the country because his endorsements are do seem to carry a curse. I don't I don't necessarily believe in curses, but I believe in people with fucked up energy that just fun that Everyone's like, uh, I don't know, this feels weird now that that guy is like in the room claim that we're with him. So recently, he tweeted his support for the Dallas Cowboys that was over the weekend. Sure enough, despite the fact that they were favored by a lot one of the biggest upsets in recent playoff history. They got like rinsed. They were down like twenty seven nothing in a like right away, like right.
Speaker 2: After he tweeted they scored.
Speaker 1: Everyone's like, oh no, I don't think you tweeted about the Texans, who this past weekend did the opposite and like beat somebody who a lot of people thought they were to lose to. He didn't tweet about that. He tweeted about the Cowboys and they immediately got destroyed. Fans have attributed the loss to Cruz because he has a long history of jinxing big games for Texas teams. A few weeks ago, he took a lot of heat for attending a Texas Longhorns Sugar Bowl game that ended in a loss, and like this started years ago. He went to the Houston Rockets game seven loss to the Gold State Warriors in twenty eighteen, in which the Rockets missed a record twenty seven straight three point attempt He's like sitting down.
Speaker 2: By the court. They like historic futility.
Speaker 1: I still remember watching that and being like, is there a is something wrong? Like is there something on the hoop? Like this feels like it is defying physics. How many shots these guys are missing in a row.
Speaker 5: I really like this because theoretically this means we could weaponize Ted Cruise's curses, right, and this is just a world of possibility. We gotta figure out how to best utilize the curse of Ted Cruz.
Speaker 2: New research project for you. Yeah, good like because I think also to like the twenty nineteen Texas Tech one is also amazing, he think is selfie at the NCAA Championship game and Texas Tech was up by one point with thirty five seconds left. He posted selfie from the stands as thirty five seconds, one point lead, go Red Raiders number one defense. They lost. Man, everybody was like, I blame you Ted Cruz for this, and he just he is potent. I mean like there's that's like nine even, that's like the just the start. But I think this is where it begins to wobble a bit, right is with the Astros. Now he's been he's always supported, he's always been a big Houston Astros guy. But like this year they faced off against the Rangers, and because he was there rooting on the Stros, you know, people are like, oh shit, what happened? They lost? The Astros lost Game six, forcing a game seven, and then they lost and people were like, Ted Cruz, please do not go to game seven. Please do not go to game seven, because we want the Astros to win. Rangers fans are like, Ted Cruz, please come to the Rangers and Astros game seven. We would love to have you. Please, please, please, sir, please make an appearance. And then when they when they like, Rolling Stone published the story about this legend of his curse of the Cruise Curse on the game. On the day of Game seven, he tweeted back, he's like for seven years Catherine and I have attended nearly every Astro's home playoff game. If they're gonna blame me for our recent home losses, please also credit us for two World Series Championships. Okay, well you'll cheat it on one of those, and seven consecutive alcs is. We were there cheering the strolls on, so like in a way, you're like, yeah, I like, where were you on that one cruise curse?
Speaker 1: But but he was He wasn't like making it a thing. He wasn't making it about himself at that time. It's like when he puts himself out there, he like energetically fucks the team because he is just the least inspiring human being possible. So he he went to that game seven and they lost eleven to four, and like it was a story heading into the game and they were like, wait, we're playing for this motherfucker.
Speaker 2: Right like that.
Speaker 1: I don't think they lost on purpose, but like that's gonna fuck you up.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 1: Baseball is a weird like mental game where like if you're pitching a no hitter, no one's gonna talk to you. You don't think that like realizing that, but winning will make Ted Cruz happy. Will fuck up your energy, come on.
Speaker 2: Or that Ted Cruz is like rooting for you, You're like, fuck ro Ted CRU's room for us? Yeah fuck okay, I'm really gonna have to pull this shit together.
Speaker 1: Reportedly, people betting on sports say that you will be fifteen and two since twenty seventeen if you're betting the money line against teams that Ted Cruz showed up to support.
Speaker 2: See to me, I'm just like that's a lot of ls.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we need like a cameo, but it's like an IRL Ted Cruz only cameo and you can like send him to your enemies, Like it's like you like hire a pox, but it's Ted Cruz. Like why isn't what good is capitalism if tech isn't developing this as we speak, right?
Speaker 2: Or just do the thing like if if you're fifteen and two betting like against that are betting like against the teams that Ted Cruz is supporting, Like we should just put together a gigantic fund like a fucking hedge fun kind of keep exponentially multiplying the dollars and be like, yo, this is a pretty good return and we could do a lot of good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thank you, Augus forst in the universe.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Ted Cruz s Ted Cruz is fucking sports tweets. Amazing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Madeline, I know you have to run. It's been such a pleasure having you on the show. Where can people find you? Follow you all that good stuff?
Speaker 5: Well, I've got the book, so you can check out the book anywhere books are sold, and it is, yes, called Iceo rec capitalismhen all I got was a slusy T shirt. You can follow me on TikTok. I'm Madeline Pendleton there like the whole company. And if you want to hear more about things like Ronald Reagan, FBI files and conspiracy theories, I have a podcast called pick Me Up I'm Scared where we talk about stuff like that all the time.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: There you go, And is there a work of media that you've been enjoying.
Speaker 5: Star Trek, Strange New Worlds and Discovery This is I'm a truckie. I'm a truck at heart.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I heard, uh, Patrick Stewart's coming back as Pookards for something.
Speaker 5: There's a Picards show as well. But I think that you know, I'm a fan of the Strange New Worlds in the Discovery because they do the world building and they do the post money world building, which is relevant to my interests.
Speaker 2: That sounds very woke. Are there have people come for Star Trek yet?
Speaker 5: On the right, I am confident they have. And I guess the real question is how many loose bolts are flying off of the Discovery as it flies through space with this woka gena.
Speaker 2: Because I feel like I feel like I would see some form with a tweet they're like, man, Star Wars is too woke. That's why I'm with Trekky and you're like cut to them, being like and this is what capitalism did to this society, and you're like like, I'm sorry, are y'all okay? Never mind? Never mind? Never mind. Yeah, yeah, I feel like they can't.
Speaker 1: You You would be hard pressed to like come in and be like Star Trek used to be cool and misogynistic.
Speaker 2: And I mean, I'm sure there are old episodes, but yeah, for sure it has like pretty big deep ideas.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they do have big keep ideas. But they did do an episode where it was like a horror episode in the original series, and it's just they went to a planet and at first you thought all the women were hot but then it turns out that there was some sort of mystical illusion going on, and when you got them back to your ship they were real egos so seen of the original start. But there was no money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the worst thing possible. Oh we went to planet Binge drinking. Oh my goodness, exactly miles where people find you? What's working media you've been enjoying? Find me Twitter, Instagram, at Miles of Gray, find Jack and I in our basketball podcast Miles and Jack Got Mad Boosties. And if you love trash reality like me to soothe the wounds of society's ills. And you like watching ninety day Fiance, check out my other show for twenty day Fiance with Sophia Alexandra. A tweet I like is from you know, Front of the Show and great one of the legends of the show, Andrew t at Andrew t tweeted Costco should have like a separate lot where you could sit in your car for fifteen minutes and have a little bite of your roast chicken, like if you want to. And I like that, you know, like, you know, just because at Costco people see you get in your car, like good, what are you get in the fuck out? You know what I mean. It's like, Yo, I'm in the chicken lot, man, like you know what I'm about to do. I have a little bite of this rock, like the cell phone lot at the airport. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: You can find me on Twitter at Jack Underscore O'Brien. The tweet I've been enjoying for a long time now mister Gorbichev Tear up this ass was Megan Amram and uh, mister Gorbachev tear off my balls was Elon Mustard at Nice Underscore Mustard. You can find us on Twitter at daily Zeikes or at the Daily Zekeuist on Instagram. We have a Facebook fan page and a website, daily zeikes dot com. We post our episodes and our footnote Twitter off the information that we talked about in today's episode, as well as the song that we think you might enjoy, Myles Lits song do you think people might enjoy?
Speaker 2: I was going through some old old playlists and I and I'm such a fan of this group called the Buddos Band because I was definitely in like a little Afro b fellaw kooti zone in college and they have this album. This is a track called Up from the South. They're like a fantastic band. They are actually a lot of dudes there. They were like a Daptone band, so like you'll know them from a lot of dapt Tone productions, but they came together to play their own kind of like swag, their kind of afro beat vibe. So check this track out. It's really good. Up from the South by the Buddos band b U, d Os, B A and D.
Speaker 1: All Right, we will look up to that in the footnote Daily's I Guess the production by Heart Radio. For more podcast from my Heart Radio, visit the iHeart Radio app, Apple podcast wherever fine podcasts, or give it away for free. That's gonna do it for us this morning, back this afternoon to tell you what is trending, and we will talk to you all then.
Speaker 2: Bye bye