Speaker 1: Welcome to games Names. I'm Julian Edelman, and we got a brand new compilation Highlight Reel starting now now.
Speaker 2: Patrick's are saying on the importance of technique playing cornerback.
Speaker 1: You're such a technician in your game, like you look like a pro. You're never out of phase, You're always have your feet Coach Saban, you know, shout out, always have your feet, You're always in position. You never miss your fucking off, ham Jam Is that something your dad brought to howd what'd your dad teach you about this game?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 1: Because you look like you're miles ahead at such a young age. You're only like your fifth year, fourth year, you know what I mean? How do you look like such a veteran? What did Pops teach you? It's sort of like a nuance to dB position. Just patience I learned going through because it was it was quite adjustment, like not reacting to everything that the receiver was doing and sort of having sort of like you like a monk, just being patient and just sitting there. Because once you start like trying to move out the receiver and let the receiver dictate everything, that's when you start to get Eradick and you lose your technique and your fundamentals. One thing that I learned was like, pretend like you're in a box, like you're in this frame and receive gotta either go one way or the other, and you gotta just stay in that box and force them to go eat the direction. And that's why I just started to learn, you know, being patient, you know, and you know, off hand jamming with something I learned just like in high school and sort of just sticking with that and staggered feet though, are the feet staggered when you're off hand jam? I would have saw it. I would have been studying the off hand jam. Usually that dB when he gets stole out of jam, you see his feet like this.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, you knew what this was coming.
Speaker 4: You can't you can't do that because, like you said, dudes like you would would catch on to that.
Speaker 1: But you sort of got to mix it up.
Speaker 4: You know, you got to have a two box, you know, take a quick jam, uh, tough jam, quick jam and all that. I feel like that's got to be in your arsenal because receivers nowadare is so good. It's just like you got to mix it up. You gotta just fine tune your crab each and every day. But Pops, definitely I learned a lot from Pops along the way for sure.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Next up, keep to leave on what he learned from Ronde Barber with filming technique.
Speaker 3: If you learn from.
Speaker 5: Ronde how to watch tape, Ronde, Ronde really taught me how to set my notebook up and how to watch tape like I won't watching no motherfucking how do you watch tape? I watch it first second down through personnel. So I watched twenty one personnel. I'm either going to be on the single receiver side or the tight end side, and single receiver side, I watch the tape, and if I keep seeing the route recur, reoccur, reoccur, I'm writing it down. So on the on the single receiver side, stop route, slant fade. If I see it route one time, I ain't writing it down on the tight end on the tight end receiver side, I'm gonna just write down what route keep on coming up? And I had the top three routes. Anything else, I'm just playing football. But I'm gonna know, Okay, they twenty one personnel, boom, they break tight end on my side, slat f a hitch or whatever. My three routes them the three routes that I'm anticipating. If you run something else, then I be a cornerback. I'd be a professional cornerback, and I'll react to it. But I just go through every formation like that, twenty one, then twelve, then eleven on early downs, and then I go third down, eleven, twelve, then a bunch if damn bunch they do these like I just it's a big test, bro. I just write down the routes and these formations, and then when y'all break the huddle, y'all come out in this formation. It's like I'm taking a test. If I can't think of shit, I just play my technique. But if I got an idea even running overall, usually I'm right, because you know how offense is, y'all do. It's just like playing the game. Y'all gonna do what the fuck y'all do? Right, you could we could turn the matt and on right now. You're gonna run your shit. You've been running against everybody you've ever been playing. You feel me, it's the same. So it's a big test, man. You gotta put that time in and memorize this shit and be able to go to it as they break the huddle and shit. So that's how I say Ronde taught me how to organize my notebook. Listen, first second down ten, eleven, twelve, twenty one. Third down is probably gonna be eleven or twelve, red zone, get your top concepts, take them away. Besides that, be a pro play ball. How your premium looks these day best plays. They run these plays every fucking week. If they run these plays, I'm picking it. Having premium looks shit. Ronde put me on that man.
Speaker 6: Shout out Ronde, shoutout.
Speaker 7: Ronde, Ronde.
Speaker 1: He was just He's a straight pro guy.
Speaker 5: Ronde was a pros pro man. Just you know, never late, never miss a day, never sick.
Speaker 7: Like how the fuck you never sick like you ain't got a cold or nothing like, goddamn.
Speaker 6: You feel me?
Speaker 7: He just man, just a pros pro man.
Speaker 5: Gotta gotta got the woman who take care of his body. Put me on onto her like, just a real pros pro.
Speaker 8: You know.
Speaker 5: I caught him in later years as well, so just a real prose pro man.
Speaker 2: Next back man Jones on who the real lockdown corners.
Speaker 6: Are in the NFL.
Speaker 1: That that's like a real corner lockdown lockdown. And who's the lockdown corners right now? That are man coverage corners?
Speaker 8: We gotta say, Patrick, certain, Patrick following your dog? I like long though, I like, uh the kid from the Panthers Jackson uh or the other one the word just got paid all that money corn right, Jesse Horn, Jason.
Speaker 6: Him that.
Speaker 8: Them are my top two Gonzales. I like Stingley is really good.
Speaker 1: To the corners.
Speaker 7: Stingley's stings is a dog.
Speaker 1: Gonzo Gonzalez for the Patriots. He's just he's pretty, he's athletically there. Yeah, he still needs to learn how to use his hands. But that guy he sticks on. Dudes, there's some good corners, there's some good corner.
Speaker 7: What do you what do you?
Speaker 1: What do you think about these playoffs?
Speaker 6: Right now?
Speaker 8: It's up in the air, but you know how it is brou if you get high at the end of the season. I think the most dangerous team right now are the Texans.
Speaker 1: Texans.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now, Patrick's ertain on the cornerbacks that he modeled his game after.
Speaker 1: Who are some of the guys you modeled your game after.
Speaker 4: I mean, you know, obviously pops, you know. I mean he's been there along the way watching him play. But you know, just Breeve's another guy. Champ Bailey, Charles Woodson.
Speaker 1: You know, Chilli have an asshole sometimes if you don't know him, he gives ass whole vibe because he's just like he's always competing. Yeah that's my guy.
Speaker 6: Love you, Charles, Yeah, yeah, I mean just just legends.
Speaker 3: Another legend.
Speaker 9: He's we're drinking shotsill, Yeah, another one, man.
Speaker 4: It's I think, uh, just looking at so many legends growing up. I mean like Richard Sherman, Patrick Peterson, Jaya Ramsey, girl watching Jaya Ramsey and he's still doing it, you know. So Stefan Gilmore, you know chill chill now, he's like real chill.
Speaker 1: I played with him like five years. I heard him speak four times. He fought twice too. We didn't talk.
Speaker 7: Yeah, fought.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We fought Cono to fight RACI.
Speaker 6: Yeah if I.
Speaker 1: Twice nah, probably we had one really big fight. Okay, that was when the dread came out. Yeah, I pulled a dread out.
Speaker 4: Would be the ones you least expect, though, man, for really be the ones you least expect.
Speaker 2: But what what is so I mean, now, Charles Woodson on the hardest receivers to cover in his career.
Speaker 1: Who is the toughest cover for you in your career?
Speaker 6: Marvin?
Speaker 10: I was Marvin Harrison, Marvin Harris. Yeah, Marvin man lightning, quick as lightning, you know. And I played him a couple of times when I was you know, I think my rookie year in my second year played him in Indie, So we played him on the turf.
Speaker 6: He's down there with Peyton Manning.
Speaker 10: And you know, Marvin was always joked that Marvin was you know, he was going to line up on the defensive left offenses right, and that's where.
Speaker 6: He was gonna be. Yeah, damn it. And that's what it was.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 6: It wasn't a whole lot of motion and trying to get him open and all that stuff. You had to line up. You had to play Marvin head up. And I mean, to me, he he had it all.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 10: You know, it's fast, he was quick. He ran good routes, elite hens, elite hands in and out of his breaks, you know good. So I feel like, you know, just coming into the league and playing against him, you know, that was I would say, you know, before I was seasoned. I would say that was the best guy I played against.
Speaker 1: And he always seemed to be comfortable and the uncomfortable. Yeah, like for a small guy, he used to get like back shoulders and he would play fadeball with the best of them. And he was he was like five eight everything.
Speaker 10: I mean short routes, intermediate routes, deep routes, seven routes, over routes, you know whatever.
Speaker 6: He had it all, like you had to cover. You had to cover all the routes with him.
Speaker 1: Maybe in like five years, six years, we'll have another Marvin Harrison Charles Woodson rematch.
Speaker 6: Oh man, how about it with the sun? How crazy would that be? Oh Man? Yeah, I like the sound of it.
Speaker 1: But he's he's bigger than his dad. You'd be a different matchup. Your kid looks just like you on the field. He's like the same body, same body type.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 6: He had to be like be like me and Megatron, like Megatron was like that Megatrons.
Speaker 1: Was he hard to cover Mega Tron?
Speaker 8: Uh?
Speaker 10: Yeah, because you know he for one, he was six four six or five whatever he is, so you know he's got that you know, that long catch radius, tall, he could run and he's a big dude. He wasn't like a you know, slender dude. So so he's a big dude as well, so you you know he was. He was one of those guys that you know, if if he got that step on you, then you know you're not you're not recovering.
Speaker 1: And he's never covered even if he's covered because he's so big.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean, like you said, yeah, like I said that, they catch radius man up wide. Yeah, that's hard to stop.
Speaker 1: Who's the favorite quarterback to pick off?
Speaker 10: Favorite it off? Well, it didn't come till late in my career. I picked off Peyton my my last year in the NFL, So I had to say that was the favorite because that's I mean, it's.
Speaker 6: Peyton pay Man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you got Tom.
Speaker 10: I dropped maybe two of Tom's interception. One of them I would have scored to it. I'm really I'm still mad about that. And you know he's you know he uh. But he sent me the video one day. He's like, man, I gave you one. Man, I had it too. Man, He's like running down and feel I got your ass. Yeah, man, he laid it up there. So nice for me too.
Speaker 2: Now, ty Law explains what it takes to be a dog in the NFL.
Speaker 1: Can you explain the dog?
Speaker 3: Huh?
Speaker 1: Can you explain? I think the dog?
Speaker 4: The dog is a mentality. You know that, And under any circumstances, are you gonna break me? I'm gonna win. I'm gonna every play, even if you knock me down, I'm get back up. I'm gonna come at you the same full tilt all day. And when adversity strikes, you still don't drop your head. And you got that mentality that I'm gonna beat you this play. If you beat me, oh the next play, Oh it's own do it again?
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: So that's what like we're looking up right there. Kevin Garnett dog dog.
Speaker 6: All time dog?
Speaker 1: What's rushmore of dogs?
Speaker 10: WHOA?
Speaker 3: That's tough.
Speaker 4: That's tough, I would say, you know, okay, let's just throw out a couple.
Speaker 6: From me sports.
Speaker 3: Lawrence Taylor dog dog.
Speaker 4: One that just retired, Aaron Donald that is a dog, Ray Lewis dog. Rodney Harrison dog.
Speaker 6: You know what I mean?
Speaker 4: Because I'm telling you, I'll say here, because Rodne Harrison is supposed to be in a Pro Football of Fame. No, no, no, okay, no, he's Jimmy Smith dog, Julia Edelman dog.
Speaker 3: And not just because of you know, I looked at the journey too.
Speaker 4: Okay, you can make plays, you can do all this stuff, but to know how tough he was to be able to go out there and do that and go out there and do what I do. I told Troy Brown, you got me fired, dog because I got hurt hip Troy Brown playing dB, you know, and and did some dog ship picking stuff.
Speaker 3: He led the league, he led the team and picks you know, you know what I mean.
Speaker 4: So when you guys, when you guys come in and do that and can do more than just your job, and you do it with so much passion and you're successful because no one expected you to be who you are. Maybe you expected it, but when you get drafted or did you get drafted, Okay, you went seventh round, damn it.
Speaker 3: That's basically a free agent botion, but.
Speaker 1: Free agent because you don't have to do two years.
Speaker 4: Huh exactly. But no one expected you or they brought you in. They didn't expect you to turn into the only person that can believe that is a dog. And you got to believe in yourself, because basically when you get drafted that late, you're coming from another position. You're basically there for tackling dummy. You're there forgot, You're there there for guys like somebody established like myself. He beat up on exactly, so for you to make it, you know, you a dog right there, and then to put out there and perform. And then you had some of the top corners out there that didn't want to see him.
Speaker 3: So that right there you fit in. The dog.
Speaker 4: Tom Brady was a dog dog because from day one he came in there and he wanted to compete. He gonna talk shit, and I'm telling him, we used to light him up, but he coming right back at you as a dog on head bunch you. He gonna fight, you, come at you. And he was not no pump. And that's what you know then he ain't no punk right there, that was like a compliment, Oh he ain't no pump.
Speaker 3: You know nowadays it's a he ain't no bitch. He ain't no pump, you know what I mean. So that was Tom.
Speaker 4: I look at like receivers like again, Hine's Ward was a dog. He wasn't fast, he wasn't in but he will sit there and rock you. You know, he will blindside the shit out at you too, So you always got to keep your head on the swivel. So I look at at the tough guys even you know, like I said too, Randy Moss was a dog, you know what I mean, because he was tough. Chris Carter, Michael Irvin, he will fight you all damn day too, you know what I mean. So I look at so many tough guys, but like, just skill everybody.
Speaker 3: And a dog.
Speaker 1: Man, Are you born with a dog or can you develop the dog? Because I'm sitting here looking at my seven year old daughter and I'm seeing some of this attitude and effort on the field right now. I'm like, I don't know if we got dog in her?
Speaker 8: What?
Speaker 1: You know what, puppy My mom My mom told me.
Speaker 4: You know, when I was younger, she said, you know, you used to get your ass with you know, you wasn't you wasn't that tough. But I remember one time that I came home right and she made me go back out there and fight, you know, like you're gonna you're gonna go out there and fight.
Speaker 3: And I started developing, So yes, you can develop the dog.
Speaker 1: And you can develop dog.
Speaker 6: Yeah, help the dog development.
Speaker 3: Could you could be born into it too.
Speaker 1: T shirt that's shirt developed. It's a tie log teach shirt. That's right.
Speaker 4: I developed time and you get that confidence and then it's like when you realize that you got to believe in yourself. That was my whole thing, was always believing in myself with no matter what anybody thinks.
Speaker 1: That's that's what a dog is. A dog is someone who believes in himself no matter what the situation. The situation is against you, if the world is against you, still still think you're gonna do it? Is when you stay ready, you ain't gotta get ready.
Speaker 2: Next keep de leep on his favorite cornerbacks in today's NFLO.
Speaker 7: Who are some of the corners that you think are ballers right now? Pat?
Speaker 5: For sure certain that looked like his daddy was a cornerback and he grew up getting taught technique, you know what I'm saying, which is really what happened. And he looked at exactly like that stinglea ball or his movement is crazy. He got great bass skills, man, Uh got that revis body. Yeah, he got that reason like in between a long guy be of long arms or you're still but when you see him in personally like oh sh that short doesn't really look And on TV good balance to as exactly man who else man them the top to them the top dogs. And yeah, Christian Gonzalez is a player too.
Speaker 1: He's fast.
Speaker 5: He's just sticky, straight, sticky. He like a he like in that sauce world. They're gonna have more strap games than pick games. You know what I'm saying, because you really they big corners. They always in position, so you don't even really want to mess with it, you know what I'm saying. So uh, Denzel Denzel, super athletic man, great movement, Get that ball.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying. Who's the last? What is on Houston is another call.
Speaker 5: He get a lot of targets because of Stingley, so that allow him to make a lot of plays.
Speaker 7: You know what do you think about Moss White Boy Denver? I like mars Man.
Speaker 5: If you play on you play on the other side of Pat, You're gonna get picked on, just simple as that.
Speaker 7: You know what I'm saying. I don't care who you is.
Speaker 5: He makes plays, he make plays, bro, he always in position. He got very athletic man, great size. You see him in personal he probably bigger than me. Like I'm telling you, man got great size, great speed. He's like Seahorn, sticky coverage, Srny. Always always in position, Bro, always in position.
Speaker 7: I like Riley Mault. I love Riley as our number two corners. Now the game's changed, hadn't it.
Speaker 6: We played a lot.
Speaker 7: It's you know, what's something you hate about the game these days?
Speaker 5: I hate the illegal touching downfield, Like, come on, brother, Like we want points that bad that we can't even lay a finger on the hand after five yard like Bro. And then it's wishy washy because you let some guys do it, and I was one of the guys they actually let to be consistent.
Speaker 7: Yeah, man, Like you let guys do it, and then at the end of a game and third.
Speaker 5: Down, he's just a legal touch and holding, like Bro, that's the part of the game.
Speaker 7: It's you almost could call that on any play every play. You feel me. All you guys are just trying to cover your cheating up exactly.
Speaker 1: So it's just the best. The best guys are like the sneakiest guys that know how to get you low.
Speaker 7: They be grabbing, that's what keep?
Speaker 4: Did?
Speaker 5: He hold you low like a motherfucker period? Every play, every play? Bro, So I look at it. I used to look at it. I tell my high school guys and I work with and stuff like, I look at it like this. We on the time crunch here, you feel me. We only got about three and a half a hour window to be on this TV. Right, you're gonna call holding every fucking play like we don't got time for that shit. I'm a hold and hold and hold and keep on playing and eventually gonna be our way. He's just playing like that, like you can't call it every play, right, I'm establishing how we playing out here, not the refs, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Sole's that I mean, you might as well hold them because it's a hold calls better than a touchdown exactly.
Speaker 7: And if you do it consistently, they can't call it every play. They can't.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening.
Speaker 4: Remember to tune in every Tuesday for a brand new episode and every Sunday for another Games with Names Highlight e