Speaker 1: Pushkin. Robert Marglev is one of the most quietly consequential figures in modern music, a sonic architect who helped build some of the most innovative and enduring sounds of the last half century. Together with his partner Malcolm Cecil, Robert created Tanto, the world's largest analog synthesizer, and used it to co produce a string of air defining Stevie Wonder classics, including Music of My Mind, Talking Book, Innervisions, and Fulfilling This his first finale. He went on to work with Jeff Beck the Isisley Brothers in a scrappy art punk band from Akron, Ohio called Devo, helping shape the early sound and is something that felt like it arrived from another dimension entirely. You might remember Robert from his Broken Record and Review a few years back. Now he's releasing an audio book called Shaping Sounds Stevie Wonder, Divo the Synth Revolution in My Life Behind the Music. It's a memoir about creativity, collaboration, an artistic courage, told by someone who was in the room. On today's episode, I sit down with Margolev and Mark Mother's ba, the frontman of Devo composer, visual artist and one of the most original creative minds of his generation. They recall working together to make Devot's Freedom of Choice in the glory days of recording at the record plant in Los Angeles in the eighties. You can use the code sounds twenty five at pushing DOFM slash shaping sounds to save twenty five percent on the audiobook. This is broken record, real musicians, real conversations. Here's my conversation with Robert Margolev and Mark Mother's ba.
Speaker 2: We were one step ahead of the digital sampling where you could like do something like that and then have it on a key and play it later. So that came a few years later.
Speaker 1: So you guys actually had to crack a Yeah, we had a track the whip.
Speaker 2: We had to take turns whipping each other. It was awful. You know.
Speaker 3: The thing is said, really are worthwhile stick out and when you think about freedom of choice in general, that record really has lasted.
Speaker 1: This is Mark Studio. We're in Mark Mothersbaugh Studio and you guys obviously have a history which we're here to talk about.
Speaker 3: We have a very long history.
Speaker 1: But I didn't know you had a history with this building that oh yes, Mark works out.
Speaker 3: It, although I've never actually recorded in this building except with Tonto. Tonto used to live exactly where Mark is sitting right now. The instrument was here for about two or three years. We didn't get a lot done, but we cameven fiddled around with it more than actually got serious with it here. But I was off on other adventures at that time, and I don't know, Malcolm and I never really sort of put our minds to it as much as we should have and could have. It was a remarkable opportunity that I think, I sort of think we missed out on. That we could have done more here than he did. But I was off making records.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we were off doing things. Yeah I was. I had found out about film and TV scoring and that became my love and so I was deep in that. But it was but Tonto brought a really great energy because also at that time I had the building was fairly new, so like a lot of stuff, like these racks of tapes, they weren't in this room back then. Sokna was kind of had the whole room all to itself, and it was It was pretty amazing because a lot of people came over and saw Tano and they were just like knocked over just to even see it. It was such an amazing piece of art, and and it had great energy. It was it was kind of like, you know, Bob. That was probably Bob when his mind was working. The fact. I don't know if that's true or not, but you were definitely busy in that time period to have created that.
Speaker 3: Uh, that instrument I think was around Stevie time too. So our work together we really well, we did. We did a freedom of choice before that time, way before that, before before the synthesogy, before y.
Speaker 2: Yeah, before yeah Tanto was here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, boy, that was something else. I love making that record. Oh yeah, I have a lot of really good memories about it.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's probably, in a lot of ways, probably the best Divo record. Uh and definitely sonically it was. Uh, Divo learned a lot from you.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: We when we started off, we just had like a little tax four track and and I was like recording, Okay, I'll put all the drums on one track based on one guitar. One. Then I got to mix it all down and then add a vocal and a solo and that and that that would like limit esthetically what you could do back in those days. So so we were used to that world. And then I mean, there's there's a lot of good things. We worked with Brian Eno and Bowie on our first one, but Ino was new to producing and he he in retrospect said, yeah, you know, there's I wish I would have known more about how to produce a band, you know, when he worked with us. And then the next one was Ken Scott, and he kind of took our songs apart in a way, in a in an unfortunate way because because they were written to be played live, we wrote them while we were playing in clubs, and then he had us all play one at a time to a click and that it just didn't destroy the record.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is interesting because I mean he got his start with like those early Beatles records, right, and so you would you would think his his inclination would be to do something live, you know, in the studio.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, maybe he regretted it afterwards. I don't know. We never talked again after that, but uh, you know, it was like Bob came along and he brought so much to what we were doing, and he had the right kind of We had the right kind of chemistry. Bob was a producer who had been you know, not only very successful, but he was always an artist and always you know, a technician, and he was the kind of guy that it was like magical to work with in a way because he had a great person you know, he could work with people. He was empathetic in a way that was really helpful for us because we were like paranoid and negative or were.
Speaker 3: Come off You'd come off of two albums that really should have been a lot better and to you artistically, yeah, and you knew it, Yeah, and I knew it. My secret was to let you be yourselves and to put you at a place. And I'm looking back, I'm doing some research on perceptive listens now, and I found out that by bringing what I was doing naturally, not only with Mark but with Stevie and most of my artists was to bring them into the control room. And the control room was like a musical instrument that you would habit, and by bringing them into the control room, we didn't have to deal with headphones. With the exception of Alan Myers, the drummer, but he had enough leakage out around his headphones so that he could hear his drums in space as well as what was going on in his head. The entire band was in the control room, and by listening without headphones, they weren't isolated. I headphones tend to isolate people one from the other and separate you from the reality. When we brought the band into Howard Siegel and I brought the band into the control room and ditched the headphones. It's one of the main reasons that they were really able to play together.
Speaker 2: I'd say that's true.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I know from speaking to you on the show previously, you were thinking of freedom of choice. Freedom of Choice as DeVos Funk album.
Speaker 2: Well, that that was our concept when we went into it. I mean, you know, you have to understand we were pretty far out there if you look at the way we dressed, in the way the kind of songs we were writing, and we were a conceptual band. You know, we were about ideas first. And you know, we weren't writing like about sex and drugs and rock and roll so much. You know, it wasn't we didn't have any lyrics at where I'm snorting whiskey and drinking cocaine think I'm going to go insane, and you know, it's like we were kind of anti all that. I don't know, it just Bob sunk up with with that really well. But we were, yeah, we were thinking, how can we make our stuff sound more funky? And we were you know, like looking around at who did what and where things came from. And when we found out about Bob and saw well he'd worked with Stevie, which was like, couldn't be any better than that, But he was also this genius who created this this instrument that was one of a kind and had an imprint on pop music at the time. You know, it influenced people even more than it actually got to be on the records. It's everybody knew about it and everybody and you saw the picture of it. It was like an incredible piece of sculpture. You know. We sought him out and he was interested, lucky for us.
Speaker 1: The dichotomy of that, even still in hindsight all these years later, still fascinating to me that you have a machine as seemingly, at least to me, experimental as Tonto and avant garde as Tonto, and an artist as pop as Stevie. You know, or as you know, coming from Motown, which is very slick and polished. I mean, I love all the Motown stuff, but there's definitely many years there was a singular Motown sound, you know. Barry Gordy did refer to it as a factory, you know, and so a formula It was formulaic, but not in a very cool way. But then for Stevie to come out of that and then to get paired with this sort of avant guard machine that you created, you and Malcolm Cecil, is its fascinating still.
Speaker 3: You know. I never I never thought it would end. We were really in its own space, that's for sure. In working with Mark, I really did want to pay attention to the R and B bottom end, which is I paid strict attention to that in that recording that we did. Freedom of choice to us to pay strict attention to the bottom end of the record. Being able to work in the control room inside and habit the musical instrument itself, because a lot of the sounds we made weren't sounds until they fell out of the loud speaker one way or another. That the control room itself we were in howbiting a musical instrument and I viewed it like that. But the other thing that was really important to me, where I've really had my success in music was because of the political overtones that Diva was writing about was something that I really got. I mean, I was ahead of the curve nineteen fifty eight. You know, I remember Medgar Evers, I remember Martin Luther King, I remember John Lewis, I remember the Norman Pettis Bridge. I remember little black girls being escorted to school by white marshalls with guns. So when I came out of high school, I was already the school I went to was really sort of based around the awareness of civil rights. So the things that really attracted me at music were things that had something to do with civil rights and with the productive, with the sociological effects of civilization on itself, how it ways our civilization is eating itself. We're consuming our own our own rubbish in some way right now. But what attracted me to the to Devo also was the content of the lyrics it had. Like Stevie, we were doing things like Living for the City and He's Mister Noodle, which was about Richard Nixon. For example, Mark and Jerry were writing music about the human condition and the prediction of the future, and right now here we are in twenty twenty six, and what we were singing about the boys were doing in the studio in nineteen eighty three or four, whatever it was, they nailed it right on the right, on the head of the thing. I mean there was it was predictive. And we see it today that the predictions, the Devotian predictions are coming true. How do we how do we stop it? How do we change the world again? Can we change it through music?
Speaker 2: I wonder, you know what, when I was twenty nineteen seventy, I remember thinking, Ah, I wish I was born in the nineteen twentiest, you know, I wish I could have been in Europe during that incredible period of art where they were Bajas and Surrealism and Dadaism and Futurism and all those art movements were happening. I said, I wish I would have been around for that. I missed out on that. But that was a really dark period that was between World War One and World War two, and fascism was on the rise. And I feel like when DeVos started in the seventies, it was kind of like it had come back again, and it created things like punk and new wave and electronica music and a lot of things. It inspired artists, just like fascism inspired artists in the twenties thirties. I think what happened in the seventies was because Jerry and I were at a school where we were protesting the war in Vietnam and they just said, okay, just shoot them, and they shot like thirty some kids and killed four of them. And they did that at other places around the country and it shut everybody down. It's like after that, music turned into like this like corporate white rock, where it was like it was basically, I'm white, I'm a misogynist, I'm proud of it, I'm a conspicuous consumer, you know. And that was like the politics of music that or it was disco, which was like had beautiful sounds, but like the lyrics were all stupid. And Jerry used to go, oh, it's like a woman with no brain is how we felt about disco because it didn't have a political message to it. It was like everything was during the period that punk and new way was starting. It was like that and I don't know, I'm an old guy now, so so like I've been around to see it.
Speaker 3: Notice that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so it's been so it's like, well, then keep your prescription that whatever you're wearing just yet. But but you know, I feel like it's on another It's like I used to just we used to just talk about de evolution and things going down. But the reality is is, I think de evolution and evolution both exist and they're in constant crisis with each other and conflict. And I think this time period is going to expec going to create young artists that are that are going to take take things from what's going on right now in the world. They're going to be inspired by that, and they're going to take the new technology. You know, it's like everybody's oh Ai AI's evil, but it's also like technology was back in the seventies. It was like you could use it for good or bad. And I think what's going to happen is I think technology and what's happening now in the world is going to inspire young artists to do artwork that you and I are going to go, dang, why didn't I think of that? That's amazing. We're going to hear stuff from kids. I think it now is like a really amazing time to be a young artist.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, you know, just talking quickly about AI, you know the WGA for example, the writer's skills that God forbid you should have at AAI and your dialogue and your script and you're writing your manuscript, and there's a tremendous amount of fear of people sticking their heads in the sand and trying to deny its existence. We have to really understand that AI is here, it's not going away, and if we're going to use it creatively, that's a good thing. But we have to learn how to use it and understand it. You know, a lot of stuff. What I'm hearing now musically is like AI slop is what I call it.
Speaker 1: Even if it's not.
Speaker 3: It's mindless.
Speaker 2: But yeah, but there are people who are.
Speaker 3: Using it creatively in ways that it would not have even dawned on me. And I celebrate that. I I think that that's a good thing. I think we got to take our head out of the sand, understand that it's here. I mean, AI does good things in medicine. AI does good things in research. It helps me write when I'm doing research and I need to know something, I have a I have my copilot there. It gives gives me information, it educates me. But I think we're also you know, the problem with AI and music is, you know somebody who wrote one song a month maybe or one song every six weeks and sweat it over the lyrics and really, you know, did something that was heartfelt and poetic. That same guy sitting in his kitchen table at the laptop with the headphones on and writing five hundred songs in a month and then putting him up online and then you know, polluting the atmosphere with what I call AI slop, you know, and there's tons of it. How do you sort the good, the wheat from the chaff after all of that. The other problem is that it totally lacks roboto and feel. I mean, when you think about it, If you think about it, a great conductor coming out on the stage and a guy comes out dressed like a penguin with a stick and starts waving it around, and suddenly an entire orchestra is performing as one instrument. He's deciding where the music speeds up, where the music slows down, which is called roboto, or where it gets louder and where it gets softer. And you begin to realize that that whole orchestra's focused on the end of the stick that he's waving around, and that his whole emotion is being transmitted to the orchestra, and they're playing with tremendous empathy. And that's what we connect with. Whether it's that or it's Taylor Swift in front of a huge audience or a devo in front of two thousand or five thousand people, it's that exchange. It's that vibe that we need to have. That is the current of sound that we inhabit. I think that that really what's going circling way back. But I think that, in a way, was what really made that record successful was the effect that was played as one instrument. It was five people playing together as one instrument, everyone playing their place on the keyboard, so to speak.
Speaker 2: You know, Bob, I totally agree with you, especially about the orchestra, because I score movies and I score a lot of animation, and animation no matter how great it looks, it's like if they show a picture of a field, there's millions of things happening out in that field, like little insects you can't see, but you and the wind blowing and leaves growing. If I just write, you know, when I write the music, and it's just on my sense and using my libraries of like orchestral sounds, and it's a real orchestra going rare. If you hear the same chord over and over again, everybody, even people that aren't, you know, very sophisticated musically, they all can say, oh, yeah, that's that's electronics. That's that's not real people. Whereas when people come into a room, like whether I'm at Abbey Road or if I'm in Sony Studios or Fox or wherever, these people are coming off the streets and if it was raining outside, they're taking off raincoats and setting them beside them, and they're setting down their newspapers and their bags, and they play and it's like you never know exactly what it's going to sound like, because they've all got blood going through their veins, they're breathing, they're they're either bowing up or down, or they're blowing at different rates and things, so it's never the exact same and it's different, and it makes the anime looks so much better now to me. That's why I don't worry about AI because I remember when technology invented electronic drums and synth sounds, and we loved all that stuff. But there were people that were going to the mall and they would buy a portable home Morgan, and they'd hit a button and we'd go boom di de boom di di boom, and they'd be go, oh, look, and then they'd hit a baseline a boom boom, boom boom, and then they'd play something over top of it, and they go, look at this, I just made up a song, you know, And then they go, let's make another one up tomorrow, you know. And so I feel like you and I already went through that, and we saw that, and we were taking that same equipment and we were looking for artistic ways to use it.
Speaker 3: I wonder what hop music is going to sound like in twenty years. I mean, we're as far away from Glenn Miller and Benny Goodman as you can get. Okay, Somehow music has evolved over the fifty sixty seventy years since Glen Miller, you know, Tommy Dorsey or Bing Crosby.
Speaker 1: I think even you know, you think, you know, go back to It's like Louis Armstrong's Hot fives and seven. You think about what just happened, that could.
Speaker 3: Think, Yeah, the interesting thing that happened though, it's the microphone changed everything. When Bing Crosby could walk out on the stage at Radio City Music Hall with a twenty five piece dance band orchestra of the big horn section and everything else, and they would record it and Bing could get to the mic like this and he would sing ba ba boo, ba ba boo like that, and suddenly that was as loud as the entire orchestra because we rearranged the reality right.
Speaker 1: You didn't have to, and we've been and we've been re arranging.
Speaker 3: That reality ever since, you know. Uh, But that one microphone. That's why the girls were all like going crazy for Bing, because suddenly Bing was sitting right next to you and you could hear his breath and his teeth and his all of that stuff. You could. Suddenly it was like an emotional connection, and that whole orchestra blowing their brains out in the background was big, was louder than they were. And suddenly we discovered the ability to rearrange reality with a microphone in recording, and what we were doing in the studio. By the time we got to DEVO was we were rearranging reality and making sounds that never even ever existed in the real world at all. And to get Mike to get Mark on the microphone this close, you know, whip it good to make that as loud as the whole orchestra, the whole band that was us rearranging reality.
Speaker 1: DEVO has a very you guys have a DEVO has a very unique philosophy in terms of I think your view view of the human condition and the way you guys presented things, And Robert, I think you also have a I'm curious, would you guys consider yourselves technologists or humanists or a blend of book because in one way, you guys are you both took advantage of technology in very unique ways and in very forward thinking ways. But in other ways, I think of both you also as being deeply concerned about the human condition and experiment.
Speaker 3: I think it's about two things. It's about humanity and empathy. It's about the ability to connect your feelings with something poetic that means something to people around you that you could change the course of their lives by virtue of your message. And I think that is about empathy and it's about the human condition, and I think that's what poetry and art is about, really.
Speaker 1: And taking the advantage of technology in pursuit of that is Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, technology to us is a musical instrument. It's no different than any other musical instrument in a lot of ways. The thing that's different is when Mark plays keyboards or synthesizer or keyboards of any kind of massages the medium he uses his fingers like this, and the fingers you have to have a certain amount of physical dexterity to connect your mind to your extremities. Now we're getting to a place where we don't need to have physical connection. I mean, if you think of Elon and Nouralink, for example, Suddenly people are playing video games and we'll start expressing themselves purely by thinking exactly. And I think that we're beginning to see that starting to happen in a lot of ways. Good, it's a bad, I don't know what it is, but it's there. We cannot deny the existence of the reality of where civilization is going. All we can do is hope to do the best we can in terms of being a human being, having empathy and joy and trying to reach people and touch them in some kind of a tender, more than just intellectual way, but in some kind of humane embrace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with you on that. You know, it's like I think the real message of Devo more than just things are going down, which it was, you know, now, I feel like it's it's part of a yin yang of reality. Uh. I feel it was more like humans were the one species out of touch with nature. And what I think is really important is AI whatever you know, medium you use to make your music, if it's just you know, like like one rubber band that you're strumming or anything in between. I think it's about people need to learn how to mutate and not just get stagnated and just get frozen, like so many people are frozen by the thought of AI. And like social media now it's like what's left and what's right are like extreme they don't even really represent most of the people that lean either direction. They're like the extremists and they're just shouting at each other and the rest of us are all kind of in the middle, and we're all craving common sense.
Speaker 3: There's no common sense that the extremes that's the problem we have politically as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and so so I just feel like that's part of what you know, this this turnover when it when it's you know that artists are going to be addressing that issue. I feel they'll help lead the way. I think, you know, like as it's happened in the past, art has has informed people where where politics and you know, other mediums. You know, I'm kind of ready for maybe it's been a long time, it's been thousands years, but maybe white men could just stand over to the side a little bit and I'm waiting for women to kind of take over the planet. I'm looking for a feminist planet that would you know.
Speaker 3: We need some peace and quiet and a hug.
Speaker 2: And we need the part of humanity that's connected to nature and that can reconnect. Because I mean, the whole idea of like, well we'll just use up everything on this planet and then we move to Mars. I'm like, well, you better love your your cell phone, because if you haven't looked at pictures of Mars, it's very boring there and there's not a good reason to want to go there. You're going to be in a giant parking lot. We need humans to connect more with the natural world.
Speaker 3: The real issue for music now is how to get heard distribution. It's not so much the creation as it is getting that message out. These guys have been doing it for fifty years. They got the formula. People know who who Devo is, just like Stevie too. Everyone knows who Stevie is. But Stevie, you go out on the road and he will play virtually songs that are fifty years old, that were his original material, he'll play. He can play a whole albusort of the material. The boys go out and play stuff off of freedom of choice. Those are the old songs. Where are the new songs? Where are we going to hear those? How are we going to change the culture again? How do we get heard? I mean, you go to a record company now and live. Guy says, eh, well this is okay, but how many clicks do you have? You know, it's not about the music anymore. It's about trying to get heard and to do something that's meaningful, to touch people emotionally physically.
Speaker 1: We'll be right back after this break. I do wonder not I mean, I don't want to get too hemmed up by a conversation about technology and AI and things like this. But to your earlier point about being a little optimistic about AI, I think where I get pessimistic about it is around the specific point you're making is that sometimes it feels like whereas before, back to bing crosby example, the invention of certain kinds of microphones allowed crooning to become a style of music and become a phenomenon amongst, you know, in popular music. All these years later, I almost wonder if we've gotten to the point where the tail now wags the dog, where music is in service of technology more often than technology is in service of music.
Speaker 3: I think that technology is our musical instruments. I think technology drives to the RT. I've said it a thousand times. If I said at once, our technology really does drive how we create and what we create and the space that we live in. I mean, we're here in Mark's studio, which is a glorious space. You guys got to go see it upstairs, but it's a marvel of modern technology. I think there's certain things that have come down the pike in some ways that have been destructive. I think that we moved into dance music, for example, and got locked into the sequencer and suddenly everything that had backbeat and feel she got transmitted to the kick drum and the downbeat versus the backbeat. And I think that that really sort of changed music a lot, and I think not for the better, because it's turned a lot of dance music instead of dance music, it's become militant. Four on the floor is kind of militancy, and I find that, you know, people want to dance to marching music. But I think that really makes a real record happen. Like, for example, we're in the studio. When we were working together, there was a mark. The band had a marvelous drummers name was Alan Myers and I'll never forget them. We used to call mister TikTok. That guy could really, you know, settle the groove. But when he's but when the band was going from a verse to a chorus or to a transition to another section, he knew when to hold it back, he knew when to speed it up. That there was a degree of motion and his playing and what separates him from the machine is that motion.
Speaker 1: Just to go back a bit, you first saw Devo before that, even their first album came out right.
Speaker 3: I saw them at the Starwood. I was up in the balcony with all the executives from the record companies. That you could tell they were executives from record companies because they were all wearing these letter jackets, you know, and the thing. And they were all honkering around. Think this one's good Disband's good disband, isn't you know. Let's go have some more dirves in a little and you know, And we'd go to the back room at the Starwood and they'd honk around. And I was working as a chief engineer of the record plant at the time, consulting chief engineer. I was more or less a sonic matre d. I was taking in what bands. Big bands came into the record plant, I kind of hold their hand and helped them get situated and so forth. So it was an interesting thing. But I also had access to the studio. If I wanted to do demos or do something recording, I could always get the free time. So I was up there in the store. Would always scattered around to see what was going on. And that was the first time I saw you guys, and I knew then that I liked it. And one thing led to another, and they arrived in the parking lot and I'll tell you something took the studio by storm. They would normally these people are non plussed by anything. These guys came in the parking lot with hoses up their nose and held it on and the coveralls and boots and stuff, and the people would completely lost their minds. Right, I said, I love this. This is for me.
Speaker 2: We were in the middle of a day of filming with Neil Young for his movie Human Highway, and so we had our costume. So we just rather than take everything apart and clean our faces off, we just came over and did it and then went back and we were on the set again.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they turned, they turned the studio. We took about a tour. Everybody saw it, and everybody lost their minds. It was fucking crazy. But you know something, that's what it endeared needed, these guys. And here we are. Mark and I have been friends now for what fifty.
Speaker 2: Years something like that? Yeah, yeah, maybe more of.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's been a long wonderful journey. You know. It's uh, we both d our way in different ways, and we've had a good fortune of having a great friendship I'm just glad we're still here. I hope I live in another twenty years of eighty five now. But if I could, well it's gonna go on what I'm ninety five, I would wonder where the where our music is? Is it gonna still be eight bars of this and eight bars of that, three and a half minutes of noise making with words over the top? Or are we going to go somewhere better, bigger, different? Yeah, that's what I really hope to see. Mark is still cutting the front edge of it. He's still gnawing away at it. I admire that in you. I really do your brave soul. I let's say, I.
Speaker 1: Guess who sought out who about it? Did Devo look for?
Speaker 2: We were looking for Margo, for somebody like a margle Off, and then we found Margo Off. He became the guy that we wanted to meet. And you're talking about business manager? Did we have the same business managers?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: We had the same okay, And so he made the connection for us.
Speaker 3: Were you I was just bobbing around, bobbing around, being bob being bob.
Speaker 1: YEA how aware of like any of those early records that he did or the records before he worked with you guys, were I mean of the Stevie records or the Isley Brothers records, even lowthor in the hand people like, were any of those records in your orbit?
Speaker 2: Sure, that's all the stuff that made us want to find him, because we'd see his name on all these records that were things that we related to, And so that's what made us look for him and try to figure out, how do we talk to this guy? Would he even be interested in working with somebody like we weren't sure what he would be like or you know, And so we met him and then we were like, oh, this is perfect. This is going to be after we'd had kind of a couple swinging Missus where we left feeling like I wish we could have wish we could do that again. This is the album that we never felt like that about. Freedom of Choice was the first album that we wrote after we had moved to California. And Yeah, it was interesting. We were in this little room on I think Seward where's SI R It's on?
Speaker 3: Yeah, right around the corner for Motown. Yeah, maybe the oral was flicking off and maybe Studio Motown's LA offices were directly across the street on the corner.
Speaker 2: Yeah, writing that album was interesting because we did it in the room about the size of this. That was a storefront that they'd covered up the window and attached to that was a big room that was a grocery store, had been a grocery store and was later going to become Amba Records. And then I don't know what it is now because I think Amiba moved out, but apartments. We remember what's their name, Pink Floyd. They were They had the big room and they were rehearsing for a tour and they had three semi trucks and they wanted to go down to two semi trucks, and so they were throwing stuff away like old anvil cases and and lights and stuff, and they set a on dealing on top of the trash heap, and I was just you know, watching them because you know, they didn't know who we were. They were like big and we were just like nobody. And when they put it on the trash heap, I said, Hey, what are you guys going to do with that? And they said, I said you want it? I go yeah, And so I got this incredible We ended up using it on something. I can't remember which song, but we we put it on something.
Speaker 1: Do you know what it ended up on? Do you know which song?
Speaker 3: Or don't remember? I probably remember tonight we.
Speaker 2: We you know, we ended up meeting after I think we'd already finished writing this stuff, or we were pretty far through by the time.
Speaker 3: I went a couple of rehearsals made some suggestions, but seeing them in the studio in the rehearsal space gave me a lot of ideas on what I knew when I saw them that they were the ideal candidates to bring into the control room. And because the record plant had big quad monitors, so you have to understand this was a time when the studios were moving toward quadraphonic and that meant speakers in the back. They had come up with a system called san sui QS was supposed to be able to put quad quadraphonic music quadraphonias. I think somebody one artists did, but quadraph and they were supposed to be able to put quad sound and vinyl. Well that was a miserable failure, but a lot of people tried to do it, and of course the record plant was very keen being that there were not only a fantasy, a psychedel fantasy of Gary Kelgrin's. But the technology level at that studio was pretty amazing. They built some QUAD rooms, so when we came on board with Steve, we had these QUAD spaces, and when I started working with the Boys, for example, I was monitoring in QUAD in the control room. We could never get it into vinyl the right way, and basically QUAD failed. People didn't want to buy a separate amplifier for the back speakers, and there's a lot of questions about it, and if you had a wife used to get the subwuffer out of the fireplace and were out from under the piano, and it became you know, if you were wealthy, you could have quad sound in your home theater. But it never really took off. But where really took off and where we really used it was monitoring in the control room, where I could monitor in QUAD and really self realized we didn't need to use earphones because we could be we can get all the cross talk, the right stuff come out of the right speaker going into your left ear and vice versa, and that was really what changed Devo's voice. I was able and they were able to really hear what was going on. The important thing about devo and recording in the studio is to keep it simple. Knock off the overdubbing everywhere you can, stop orchestrating it. Stop making it a Robert Margoleft record, Make it a Devo record. The thing sometimes the producer's best thing is to stay behind the fucking curtain.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 3: I don't want the record to sound like, oh, that's a Robert Margolef record. I want it to be a Devo record. I wanted to be a Stevie Wonder record.
Speaker 1: I think he succeeded in that and all it almost all respects, because.
Speaker 3: You know, looking back on it, I realized how much how we listen is how it affects the recordings. And that's what separates the men from the boys in terms of making great recordings, in my opinion, especially pop records. But sooner or later you're going to get away from those eight bars of this and eight bars of that. I want to see where you go with your film writing. That's the interesting stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, maybe I should play some things.
Speaker 3: I'd be I'm all ears all the time for you, my friend. Okay, I would love to go back in the studio and really create something crazy with you and Jerry.
Speaker 1: That would be great fun with divover make another record or is that I'm trying to encourage it and I'm using different lures to get us there.
Speaker 2: So we'll see what happens. You never know, Help you succeed, hope you succeed. You know. Just when we worked with him, it was a time before automation. I still love analog sense and all that. But we'd get our settings and we'd record them, you know, like on Thursday night, and then Friday morning we'd come in and listen to it and go, yeah, what if I wish we would have done this a little different, you know on the sound of the bass and stuff. And that's Bob solved that problem by teaching us how to send like a sense into three different outputs, for instance, or like put an amp up in one room that's clean, a namp up that's distorted in another room, and then a board sound and then you could the next day you could change things just a little bit. And that was one of the things that frustrated us with recording was up until then, so he was he taught us like really important things back then.
Speaker 1: So you would make a distorted speaker, a clean speaker, and then have one channel going right into the board. You have more of a dry sound and then be able to play with the next day.
Speaker 2: After because analogs, since you know, they didn't sound exactly the same from day to day. You plug them in again and they're warming up and you're playing it and it sounds different than when it gets fully warmed up. And there wasn't there just wasn't automation back then.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had what we called what I called armstrong automation, which is like doing it by hand. Yeah, that's but there's something to be said for that, and I missed that. Now you know, we have digitalists, and that I mean when we were mixing, for example, and we were at six o'clock in the morning and we still weren't where we wanted to be, we put a big piece of tape across basking tape across the console. Don't touch up nub. Yeah, it's more than me jobs worth, right, It's that we had to come back and we thought we walked out of the room and I just headed out to Malibu and flying along the freeway at six in the morning. Boy, that was fucking terrific. It sounded wonderful. Nothing was touching. We'd come back in the room and we put it up and I'd expect to be wow. And I said to myself, dang, sounds like shit. You know, yeah, okay, you know so. And then we'd be juggling it around for another six hours.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Before there was then the.
Speaker 3: Jerry Him and Jerry would go out in the parking lot and argue with each other this, that and the other thing right, And I said, oh, man, what did I do this time? You know it was it was circus man.
Speaker 2: But you but you taught us away to to bypass out with with the multiple multi channel recording. You know, there was only five of us and you had twenty four tracks on a on a two inch tape.
Speaker 3: I had a wonderful time making that record. I really loved it.
Speaker 1: Were you aware of the kind of I guess. I mean, I don't know how truly precarious it was, but it seemed like you guys were kind of in trouble a bit with the label because of what they felt were perceived back of sales in the first two You know.
Speaker 2: I think David Bowie kind of pushed Warner Brothers into signing us in the first place because he wanted to He wanted to then sign us to Beauley Brothers, which was his production company, and we didn't do that because it was like a bad It was a terrible deal. His lawyer was giving us. It was like we were going to give away like fifty percent of everything that we'd ever done and to this and I was like, well, no, that's not going to work. But he kind of got him to sign us, and then you know, the first couple albums came out, and although we'd been on Saturday Night Live, it was only college stations that were playing our music. In the US and Europe it was different. We had, like before we even had our first album out, we had off of our demos, we had four different songs going to the top ten, three of them number one in different countries in Europe. But that meant nothing in the US because US was the BMF giant monster for record sales, and you know, Europe was just tiny compared to that, so they didn't They were just hoping that something would happen with the with the records, and it took the third album for for something to get on on the radio in the US.
Speaker 1: Did you feel that the pressure or did you not page Like, did you care? Did you not care that pressure was coming from the label to yees?
Speaker 2: And though I had to try to not care about it because because for me, I was just thinking, you know what, I'm living such an amazing life right now that I get to write music and put it on a record and go out and play places. I just felt blessed that I was in the position I was in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I know with Stevie, there were a lot of interesting interactions with the with the label, with Motown that you had stepping into this situation.
Speaker 2: Well, he was feeding Motown, you know, because everybody if he had a hit song, that made a difference. You know, for everybody that worked at the record company, Divo was just so far down the chain that you know, we were nobody cared about us.
Speaker 3: But did they know you guys cut a mighty bow wave and look how look how their stuff has lasted, and how you're still here and still on stage. I think that's absolutely remarkable, and I really support you for that. I think that you are really a social mover and you've brought a lot to music and to people and all I want to do is see it continue to happen. Thanks, And I absolutely loved writing a book. It was strange shaping sounds. I really was shaping sounds. I just felt that I was doing something that was important to I really have to say it's important, and what I'm really enjoying now is giving it away and actually the stories maybe change people thinking about the creative act. I'm writing about perception and hearing right now. I'm going to write a book about it. And it's amazing what goes in those little holes in the sides of our head and what's really going in going in there, and how it affects our brains. We've had music since the cave time times I would I just I'm just eager to see where it's gonna go next. And I know that I'm sort of one of those senior guys. Now I'm not twenty years old anymore, although I feel I am in my head until I get try to stand up. Then I really realize I'm a d five and not nineteen. But I'm still a boy in my brain.
Speaker 2: Yeah you know, so are you? Yes, there's a part of us that that defies the downward spiral of the aging process, the humiliation of getting older.
Speaker 3: I still feel immortal at your age, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: Sort of, sort of, not quite. I still think I'm twenty one and I wake up and realize them.
Speaker 2: Well, keep that thought in your head.
Speaker 1: No, well, you know, but then I get my older daughter. I like my daughters are closer to twenty one than I.
Speaker 2: That's a little we're we're kind of grousing a little bit about AI here, but at the same time, we're hoping it makes us twenty one again, aren't we absolute. I'm ready for that. I'd tried it out again.
Speaker 3: Mark is doing something really interesting right now. It's defies explanation. But the last time I in this room, there were fog horns, air horns, compressors, all kinds of things, making pneumatic music with the bellows electric bellows like from a player piano that would power up all that stuff. And he was making music with instruments that were totally foreign to what you would consider a musical instrument. It was a whole new acoustical kind of living creature. I really had wanted to go out there to see him do it. But he's going to some really exciting and different places now. Because he has the liberty to do it. Yeah, and I think that that is a great gift that he's earned to be able to do that kind of stuff, and I admire it, I really do. I want to play in that sandbox. I want to bring my bucket and shovel my bib overalls and down and do some stuff.
Speaker 2: Well, careful what you say, because.
Speaker 3: I'm ready, boy. I like this stuff.
Speaker 1: Yeah, after this last break, we'll be back with more from Robert and Mark. I'm thinking about the work you guys did, the fact that you guys did whip it. You know that you were able to create a signature song for the band, you know, I mean I don't. I'm sure you guys think it's going to be like the hit it was when you created it, right, I don't know what.
Speaker 2: We thought it was when we created it. It was kind of like the lyrics were kind of directed towards Jimmy Carter, but they were also kind of in a Thomas Pinsion style. I don't know if you ever read Gravity's Rainbow, but there's like, you have this really complicated story going on, and then all of a sudden, somebody will look out a window and they'll they'll watch some little kids playing on the street and they're just singing a nursery song that goes on for a couple pages in Gravity's Rainbow. Then it goes back into this really intense story, and we kind of liked that. I think that's what we were thinking about at the time, was something like that, and we didn't really we didn't really think it would be a hit song. We thought a matter of fact, Warner Brothers thought Girl You Want was going to be the song that would get on the radio, and they put that out first, and then it was somebody that programmed discos in Florida that heard whip it and thought, oh, that would sound good on a dance floor, and they started adding it and everybody picked it up, and then it happened that a way.
Speaker 3: It had the energy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it had the right energy. But for me when we first came out here, before we came out to California and we were first just pure artists creating ideas and music, I was imagining something because I was so into the twenties, nineteen twenties, nineteen thirties in Europe. We were thinking, oh, we're gonna have like a cabaret or we're gonna have a club that we play at and it'll be theatrical and it'll be you know this extreme music.
Speaker 3: Three penny opera.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And it was yeah, and we thought of what we were doing was much more extreme. But then when we started playing places and we used to sound a lot more like Captain Beefheart meets an Italian sci fi movie. And in Ohio at that time period in the early seventies, people were just like they were coming out of factories and they wanted to go to a bar, have a drink and listen to the music that they heard on the radio live. And they didn't want to hear new music, and they didn't want to hear political music, and they didn't want to hear weirdo music where things like Jockohomo or mongoloid, they didn't want to hear that stuff. And so we were thinking, well, what are we going to do, and we thought we thought subversion was the way to get in, and we thought, yeah, we have to do it like Madison Avenue does it, where they they tricked people in the eating things and buying cars that are terrible and wearing clothes that look stupid, and then people feeling proud of it. We thought, well, we'll use their techniques, but we'll just have a better product that we're selling. And so we were looking for what would be our song that would lure people in, and Whippet was exactly that, because people would buy the album and then they'd hear the song freedom of Choice is what you've got, freedom thrum, choice is what you want, and then they go what does that mean?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 2: And so it was the song that got people to listen to us that otherwise would have just gone no.
Speaker 1: I imagine though, having a hit like that must have been exciting for not only because it seems almost impossible to get something a hit of that magnitude, but it also seems like it could be a bit a little stifling.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what happens then, is then when you do your next album, a record company that had totally just we're just waiting for you to up your five album deal and get lost, all of a sudden, they were like sticking their heads in the door, going, hey, how's it going. Yeah, whatever you do.
Speaker 3: The letter jackets as I call them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they go, just make sure you do another whip it And we'd be like, okay, Well, We don't even know how we did that one, so don't you know, it was just kind of it was just kind of accidental. Anyhow, Yeah, that was an interesting record.
Speaker 3: I remember recording the whip Crack in the hall Howard Siegel, God bless them, she's gone now. But we were working together. He was the engineering partner, and he'd be running up and down the hall at the record plant. We had this big, long hallway between the studios and the canteen and stuff. We had microphones down at the end of the hall, and I think you and Jerry were cracking the whip. I said, let me try it, and I cracked it and cracked myself in the face, and I sort of gave up. But you know, we weren't making There was no such thing as sampling or you cracked this whip, or let's do whip crack from this library or that louck. We had to do everything ourselves, and then we had to fly everything in because there's no stores, there's no digital anything, right, right, So I remember us flying all those whip cracks and then over dubbing stuff on top of it and doing it. It was like a crazy bunch of alchemists. Yeah, we were completely nuts.
Speaker 2: We were one step ahead of the digital sampling where you could like do something like that and then have it on a key and play it later. So that came a few years later.
Speaker 1: You guys actually had to crack it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we had to crack the whip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had a real whip, but that we had to take turns whipping each other. It was awful, you know.
Speaker 3: It's like, yeah, chasing each other around in the parking lot with the bowl whip. You know, the things that really are worthwhile stick to stick out. And when you think about freedom of choice in general, that record really has lasted.
Speaker 2: Weren't an interesting time, Bob. It's like, you know, it's like kids now they have these phones where they go, Okay, I like this band, who did who influenced them? And then they go, oh, Nirvana, And then they check out Nirvana and then they go, well who influenced them? And they go, oh, they did covers of Devo songs and they were big fans of Devo and so then when they come to our shows they know the lyrics. It's like, I got kids out there that are singing along with me, and it's kind of it's kind of an interesting time.
Speaker 1: What about the music videos? Was there any at any point when you guys were making the albums you guys ever talk about how you wanted to present things visually.
Speaker 2: Or always oftentimes we had an idea. We would have an idea for something in a film, and then we'd say, well, let's write a song so we can do that. Whip It was almost kind of like that because we'd found some magazine that had some guy that was doing a whip tease and he was like, he was from Las Vegas and he would whip pieces of the clothes of his wife off, and we were like, what the hell is that? You know, we thought that was kind of but that got us thinking about whip it. Whipping it.
Speaker 3: And Mark is a fine artist as well as being a musician, and a highly accomplished fine artist, I might add, I think that we saw that see that energy, and also Jerry also a filmmaker as well as being a musician. I think we see a lot of that kind of energy in their work. And it's always been Devo has always been a visual, visual band.
Speaker 1: Which would have been really appealing to you. I imagine it would have been one of the things that we've.
Speaker 3: Come from photography as well.
Speaker 2: And right you were doing films like with Edi Edgwick.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Chile, Manhattan, Yeah, you were doing like it was. It was a psychedelic time, you know that. In the studio of the Record Plant was just an amazing place to work. It was really a fantasy of Gary Kelgren's who just passed away. It was a sort of wrote the story of the Record Plant, which was a psychedelic adventure par excellence. And inside that's akadelic space, and the place was organic and free, and once you got past the locked front door, you were in your own space. You were you could be who you were. Musicians just used to come down there at night, even if they weren't recording at that time, just to spend some time in the canteen and play with the pinball machine or stop into someone's session. It was a very closed and very safe place to work. And the boys could really be themselves there. And it wasn't a bunch of guys running around with short sleeve white shirts with pencil protectors. I mean, we're all there. There was a jacuzzi, people were easy, the pinballs machine were running. Stevie was learning how to play air hockey, and everybody said, oh, man, he's playing air hockey. Is he really blind? You know, because he could hear the puck moving on the table. You know, that's amazing, and he you know, the place was just a super permissive and very There were no sharp edges at the record Place in anyway, and I think it really stoked the boy's creativity.
Speaker 1: It.
Speaker 3: I think the studio itself was a musical instrument inhabited by many musicians at the same time. People used to walk into each other's sessions and feel perfectly free to be who they were.
Speaker 2: We shared our room with we we used the room at night when it was cheaper, but during the day, little Richard had had our room, and so we'd show up and he'd be leaving, and he always had good stories like, well, you know who ripped me off? You know, I'm black? That he had He was like really funny to listen to. But it was good energy, you know, to share a room with him.
Speaker 1: Did you ever hear what he was doing in there?
Speaker 2: Yeah? We heard, we heard his music.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what was he up to with that time?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you something. Those are days that it'll never be repeated.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, boy, were they something else?
Speaker 3: I'll tell you. But here we are with this.
Speaker 1: I want to gloss over a little. You guys said, wait, you're sharing a room a little rich insanity to me. Well, I got to be phone friends with little Richard right before we die. Okay, just talking on the phone was bizarre enough, because you would just refer himself as mister Pennyman and would refer to Little Richard as a separate entity.
Speaker 2: Oh that's pretty good. I could see that. Well, little Richard, it's not an incredible.
Speaker 3: Well you know, wouldn't call him little hey, little How you doing you? Oh, mister h.
Speaker 1: Who were some of the other great characters that came through there while you were there? Oh?
Speaker 2: Everybody, everybody.
Speaker 3: All the eagles came through The Hotel California is written about the record plant that is the Hotel California.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I used to call them the beagles and they get all upset with me. That was very sacrilegious.
Speaker 1: It's a wild time at different times.
Speaker 3: I remember when we were recording she get the girl, the girl you want, Mark, She's just the girl? Yeah, she get the girl, right, Mark, She's just a girl. Yeah, she just a girl.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 3: You would always swallow the sd of just I think we did it one hundred times.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks for making the record, guys, and thanks for time to talk about it and write about it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well it's done now, it's over the edge.
Speaker 1: It's really good. It's really good. And I can't wait to hear it, you know, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: Like the book's great. I'd love I can't wait to hear it. Maybe we'll maybe we'll write a score to go behind it. How long is the the book?
Speaker 3: The book is about ten hours.
Speaker 2: We could do it.
Speaker 3: Wow, we'll score it.
Speaker 2: We'll score it.
Speaker 1: Amazing.
Speaker 3: I would love to make another DeVault kind of whip it with you, guys. You know, you never know one record up who knows, don't, don't say nothing of Our friendship has lasted a long time, and that's for the great reason, and I'm just glad it has.
Speaker 1: If you enjoyed that Common Station, be sure to check out Robert Margelov's new audiobook Shaping Sounds, Stevie Wonder debo, The Sink Revolution in My Life Behind Music, Use Code Sounds twenty five, That's All Capital so o U and DS two five at pushkin dot Fm Slash Shaping Sounds to save twenty five percent on the audio book. Be sure to check out YouTube dot com slash Broken Record Podcast to see our video interviews, and be sure to follow us on Instagram at the Broken Record Pod. Broken Record is produced and edited by Leah Rose, with marketing and help from Eric Sandler and Jordan McMillan. Our engineer is Ben Tolladay. Broken Record is production of Pushkin Industries. If you love this show and others from Pushkin, consider subscribing to Pushkin Plus. Pushkin Plus is a podcast subscription that offers bonus content and ad free listening for four ninety nine a month. Look for Pushkin Plus on Apple podcast subscriptions, and if you like this show, please remember to share, rate, and review us on your podcast app. Our theme music's by Kenny Beats. I'm justin Richmond. Shot Up