Speaker 1: The joke that passed through my head to tag that I can't say out loud, and so I I just had to bail on it. What do you Yeah, I would go to jail if if I said what I thought was the funniest thing to respond with to you, But it wouldn't work out for our futures. I guarantee it.
Speaker 2: I appreciate you looking out because I do not have that presence of mind. I'm slurred on here like it's already I'm dragging us down. Don't tell Will Perum, No.
Speaker 1: Don't please, don't tell Will Pharaoh. That's none of It's god damn business that The mind is goddamn business.
Speaker 2: Go make me another anchor.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: That sounded crazy. I don't know why I was talking to him like that.
Speaker 1: I don't know either.
Speaker 2: I like it. I like it. Carry Yeah, that's what it is.
Speaker 3: The goals are racist.
Speaker 1: The money.
Speaker 3: Stuff, I can't tell me.
Speaker 1: They're great. There it is there, It is there, it is Gentiles and little mamas alike. Welcome to another phenomenal episode of My Mama Told Me.
Speaker 2: The podcast where we dive deep into the pockets of black conspiracy.
Speaker 1: Theories and we finally work to prove that Michael Blackson is the king of whatever the exact opposite of Wakanda is. Instead of vibranium. Instead of vibranium, they just got copper piping and supersuits made out of losing Super Bowl teams. Ah, whatever he is, it's they ain't no to child to me, why Conda?
Speaker 2: We could do better? I could do better. I don't like that take that out.
Speaker 1: I like, yeah, ain't in the right direction.
Speaker 2: No condact. I'll get it by the end. I'll figure it out. I like that. But I was good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's bad for Africa, I would say, is maybe the big take away there.
Speaker 2: I don't even I don't even know how much he represents it like that's a product born of Philadelphia.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's a real that's a real Philadelphia choice to behave the way that he behaves and Philly, you will answer for your crimes.
Speaker 2: Well, is a weekend famous and that we're gonna be in a room with all these guys. I assume that the source awards and have to be.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be a nightmare. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I probably had some mates on me.
Speaker 1: They they did that thing when Io hosted SNL where they like dug up that one specific podcast episode where she had talked about j Lo. But like, fuck, man, that's what a whole can a whole snl.
Speaker 2: I'm not doing it, Bro, I'm not doing it.
Speaker 1: You're just gonna it's gonna be a stressful fucking week of them uncovering podcasts ever podcast.
Speaker 2: Brother. If I do anything even slightly bigger, if I get a television show where my face is incorporated, I'm out. I gotta cartoon gever.
Speaker 1: You get one Variety article and you're done.
Speaker 2: So, Buddy is Gable going nuts?
Speaker 1: It's gonna be great. I'm Likeston Kerman.
Speaker 2: I'm David Boy And maybe that's a nom de plume. You don't even know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know that's not his name. Stupid, you've been calling him that the whole time.
Speaker 2: Idiot.
Speaker 1: You think we would give out our real names while we while we talk all this ship that would be that would be detrimental to our careers.
Speaker 2: Nope, there isn't even my real face. It's a deep fake from some dude I met in the homeless shelter.
Speaker 1: Thank you Ai yeah for bringing a new type of Jesse smelette to the big screen.
Speaker 2: Is he gonna come back. You think he could come back.
Speaker 1: I don't think he can come back because he was too much of a joint laugh for everybody.
Speaker 2: Right across genres.
Speaker 1: And if there was still like a group of people that were like, yo, we believe Justy. We thought we think you know, there's no Jesse truthers out there, like legitimately, everybody's just like that Nigga's crazy and he bugged out, and that's it. I think you need to have a base of truthers to be able to revive your career, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: That's true. Not even yeah, not even conspiracy theorists stand behind him. That's how value was what he did.
Speaker 1: Even there are people who still will be like, I don't think Harvey Weinstein did everything that Harvey Weinstein did. I don't think he's the bad guy. They made him out to be blah blah blah blah blah. Nobody's doing that for Jesse.
Speaker 2: Nah, he's dead. No justice for Jesse.
Speaker 1: Cosby's gonna tour again, Jesse. Jesse ain't getting no more sitcoms.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is kind of fair. That guy sucks. It's crazy thing. I mean, I've said gay Tupac and jest about people, so I understand the power behind it. It's like calling somebody down on a bus or something.
Speaker 1: I know what weapon I hold when i'm when I'm throwing that.
Speaker 2: Around, exactly, exactly got to be away.
Speaker 1: We're here today not to discuss the details of Jesse's Jesse's downfall, but instead, uh, it's David and Langston, Langston and David extravaganza. We're gonna we're gonna talk some shit about our own conspiracy theories, largely because we had to reschedule real interviews with people and ran out of people for this week. But but that's none of your goddamn business about it.
Speaker 2: Just shut the funds, you little biggies.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you think you get to pick what happens around here, You think you have a choice, So we give you what we got.
Speaker 2: We're just se you're the Nigerians.
Speaker 1: We have a conspiracy today that we were discussing before we before we you know, started heating up. We we were we were having a little bit of a debate about this conspiracy theory. Well, I don't think that you and I are necessarily fully aligned on which side we're on, but but it's going to be an exciting discussion. We said, my mama told me the fashion industry is out to get us.
Speaker 2: Yes, and I agree to a point, But I do feel like oftentimes fashion trends are born of like individuality and creativity, and big fashion either co opts that or rejects it and tries to pivot. I don't think that big fashion is in line with us at all.
Speaker 1: Actually, Okay, so and I agree with that certainly. That last sentence feels very correct to me. But we should talk a little bit about the impetus of this discussion. So Olivia sent us a very silly tweet from a gentleman who we all know and love. I think everybody is still everybody's still a big fan of him, right, there's.
Speaker 2: No huge fan. I saw him in concert, not one year ago. Yeah, nobody's I hope.
Speaker 1: I would be furious to find out that people have turned against him. But we're talking about Ja rule Jo rule. Is He's still a king amongst kings as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, oh yeah, forever and ever.
Speaker 1: John Role apparently tweeted today men still wearing ripped jeans three question marks and and it's unclear if he and he's it's a laughing emoji and then a Jean's emoji in case you didn't know what he was referring to. And it's pretty I guess it's relatively clear with with that extra emoticons and shit that he's he doesn't respect men wearing ripped jeans? Is that fair to say?
Speaker 2: Which is a boot statement from a guy who pioneered a form of bandanaware that no one else could recreate.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 2: I mean, I guess DMX did it too, But that was great with the pat the tranp you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he always kept the triangles sort of hanging hanging down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Did you ever try? Did you ever attempt?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: But I'd be lying if I said I didn't. I don't currently have some bandanas in my uh in my my closet from when I thought maybe I could be a band in a guy, you know.
Speaker 2: What I mean?
Speaker 1: Like, Yeah, I'll buych some bandanas that'll make every outfit pop. That'll be cool. And then bottom I was like, Bro, you ain't never gonna you ain't never gonna fold these up. Man, you ain't got that.
Speaker 2: You ain't got it, bro being a tricky headwear guy is like, because like, being a hat guy is easy. Anybody could do. I'm a hack guy, but like a band like to incorporate origami into the full No, it's it's it's you. You would have you were born like that. You don't just start that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm gonna have to get way richer to be able to make that kind of choice, you know what I mean, Like something, something in my life is gonna have to drastically change for me to then feel that kind of confidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you're gonna have to like yeah, it's like it's like it's it's like it's like starting to fight late in life. It's like, this isn't a lot, you know what I mean. You just start being up for some shit. You know, it's like, what are you? This is crazy?
Speaker 1: Yeah, No, one hundred percent. There there are some things that are just not for you. And if I would have if I was going to be a bandana guy, I would have known that during formative bandana years.
Speaker 2: You would have done it probably before teens. Right, I've seen bandana children and you're like, damn, it's a cool ass kid. That's what I mean.
Speaker 1: Though, it's I want to be cool. I know it can be cool, and I just don't got it.
Speaker 2: Nah me either, man, I want to be cool so bad, but it's just not. It's just not. I mean because what what? Okay? In my head, I assume you were trying to wear the bandana in the style of like Safari in the gator Rade outfit.
Speaker 1: Safari in the Jata Rade out it. Let's let's make sure we reference this together, because I remember the Gatorade outfit. I don't remember the headwear relling well enough to be able.
Speaker 2: To hold on. Yeah, go back and treat yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay. No, I don't want to wear it. I wasn't thinking of wearing it like a top hat.
Speaker 2: There was no part of me.
Speaker 1: That wants to be able to lift the bandana and say, good day, ladies, my DearS, be safe. There's a chill out tonight. Have you read the evening news?
Speaker 2: Just it that does you stay up? Maybe he does. I don't know. The mechanics are being fresh.
Speaker 1: Truman says we might go to war. Wait, so then, what was that plan? What was it gonna be more more like that that Frank Ocean bandana? You remember the yell yeah little maybe rolled or maybe the old Jiy rule like but but less triangular.
Speaker 2: You know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't need it to be like perfectly triangular right in the middle of the way Joe rule.
Speaker 2: Used to be. I I just after some bohemian feel.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man, I thought I thought that'd be a good vibe and I got the plantas, but I ain't got the courage yet.
Speaker 2: Not like this guy specific but kind of like this is gonna sound crazy until you look it up, but like a Bruce Springsteen type of thing.
Speaker 1: Uh okay, Bruce Springsteen, I like until he starts wearing it like a little collar that that's no no no no no no no, feel like I'm not.
Speaker 2: No, that looks like a child cowboy.
Speaker 1: I mean, like, yeah, I don't like when they do that and Bruce Springsteen does that, and I'd be like, they call him the boss while he's doing it, like ain't no love.
Speaker 2: Uh okay. Anyways, I understand what you're saying, because I also just to full disclosure, I've tried tons of things. I've tried rags and had been all of it. All I got is hats damn man. I tried in the nineties, I tried to push a pant leg up for a while.
Speaker 1: Here's what I here's my dream and I'm gonna say it allowed so that you both you and I committed to memory and heart. My dream is that this podcast becomes successful, that we both are willing to explore a fashion choice that we've been running from, maybe our entire lives.
Speaker 2: Let's go, Are you kidding me? I want long hair? Well, okay, listen, we're like.
Speaker 1: I love it.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, this is a laugh.
Speaker 1: This is a laugh of celebration, not of shame. I will not shame your dream.
Speaker 2: Longer than I have now. I feel like dark skin dudes, we all you get is a shadow fade. You know, we raise or lower where the fade is at. Sometimes you just don't fade, you know. Sometimes it's squared, sometimes it's rounded. But I have it's the same haircut over and over and over again. And I'm out in the world. You don't think I see your crow fade And I think, damn, that'd be have I just got some texturizer, I could get it done. Yeah, I think I think that we Obviously I've spoken to my texturize the issues on here before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I look, I want it for you. I believe it would look gorgeous. I've seen look Kevin Hark, he shows up with with the long little curl shit and it looks good. He changes it up every once in a while. And I want that for you too.
Speaker 2: I want longer. To be honest, I'm like talking like when I see everybody talks shit about it, but like when I see jay Z, I'm like, I understand the freedom that you're looking for.
Speaker 1: I like, okay, but like when it was just going out, I would like in the bandana too, because we could be bandana boys. If you jumping on jay Z's bandana behavior.
Speaker 2: Listen when I listen. Next time we renegotiate contracts, there will be signs.
Speaker 1: You're gonna start saying some branded bandanas up on our pretty pretty soon.
Speaker 2: My mama told me bandanas would go hard. I just I don't feel even in my head, even in my head when I said it, I just am like, what am I gonna do? I'm gonna put it on my girl's dog, I'm gonna put it on Stella.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the thing is like, I don't I don't actually know what I would do with it. If I'm not brave enough to put the ship on my goddamn self. But yeah, who knows, we'll see. I believe in us, and I believe that that something will change our bravery, our hearts will eventually crack open, and we'll finally get to be ourselves.
Speaker 2: Fully.
Speaker 1: That said, we we have we have to go to break. But it is worth clarifying the actual conspiracy before we do that. Maybe, yeah, because I don't know even know that we've clarified anything.
Speaker 2: I mean, it doesn't matter at this point.
Speaker 1: Okay, So we're gonna take a break and when we come back, we'll explain to you the conspiracy we were discussing. Because we didn't make it very far. We we got distracted. That's not our fault, frankly, we we're just being ourselves. That's your fault for for listening to this ship.
Speaker 2: Sometimes that's the way the bandana folds. You know what's fuck? You know how you know we're not built like that. It is because we're saying bandana, not rag. We're already out. We're already damn.
Speaker 1: What are we doing. We're showing up to the dealership talking about I'd like to buy a vehicle.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what if we were really with that ship. We would have been saying flag this whole time. I can't do that.
Speaker 1: I ain't gonna say that. I'm on my business. I live in California in this house. Don't fly no flags.
Speaker 2: That's a good that's a good point. But is rag is good?
Speaker 1: That's respectful. All Right, We're gonna take a break. We're gonna be back with more David, more likes than and more. My mama told me, we're calling upon you because we have we have new merch. We have very exciting merch that we are now selling and it's it's fucking great. We love it so much.
Speaker 2: Just sleek, it's sexy.
Speaker 1: Come on, you want to tell them what we have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have three different types of hats, which is really fun. We have a two tone hat, an alien dad hat, the traditional logo in black and khaki. Then we have the enamel pin with an alien who has a coofie on it, since my mama told me. And then we have t shirts that say proud little Mama, which is who you are.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can buy the merch now, so ma, Mama told me that merch table dot com. It's a brand new name, but it's the same old merch, and we would love for you to get some if you haven't got it already, and we want you to have all the sweet stuff, so get it.
Speaker 2: We think the bigger the booty define idiot. And now we can convince her. She walks switching that big old booty and all that it ain't nothing but dodo in there. We are back.
Speaker 1: Ain't nothing but do do in there.
Speaker 2: Ain't nothing but do do in there, which is a very ignorant statement.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of meat, there's a lot of other stuff besides dodo, sir. And I respect, I respect that whatever she was doing upset him in a way that maybe he was speaking from a place of a and not a place of reason.
Speaker 2: For sure. Hurt people, hurt people. It's like saying, the titties filled with milk. There's some milk, come on, grow up filled, No, sir, it's like a very rudimentary understanding of the body. Because I get it, milk, milk, lemonade around the corner of the budget is made. But that's we got to get past that.
Speaker 1: We got to grow up. We got to grow up. We are still talking about the possibility that fashion and the fashion industry is out to get us.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: What we should clarify is that this conversation was largely born from job rule, questioning whether or not ripped jeans jeans are still okay to wear, and it got me thinking about an entire generation of people who were very against whatever the current trend happens to be. For me. When I was a kid, baggy clothes were associated with like drug dealers and violence and a certain like street image that you weren't supposed to want to associate with, and that, you know, old people shamed us and told us to pull up our pants. And then eventually fashion changed, and then those old people said, make those pants looser.
Speaker 2: What are you doing?
Speaker 1: Why are your pants so tight? You're you're gay? Whatever the fuck? It all changes, but the anger.
Speaker 2: Like when we were selling drugs, our fans were huge.
Speaker 1: What are you hiding the heroin in your butts?
Speaker 2: Yeah, how are you gonna sell that?
Speaker 1: Heirng We just used the cargo pockets.
Speaker 2: Man. I will say that, even as you're saying this, I think it needs to be acknowledged that we're both we're both thirty seven. I think it needs to be acknowledged that we did come up in the era of branded streetwear, and that was not an area of fashion in a major way before that, right, Like, I feel like that specifically black fashion, and I think maybe that's more what I was speaking towards was was not necessary. Things were not necessarily branded towards black people as much as it was about finding a thing within the mainstream and converting it and making our own, whereas in our lifetime it was definitely comodified.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it was commodified for sure, which then ultimately creates reactions from people. But the conspiracy sort of is in. It's worth noting the conspiracy was born of me questioning whether or not there is an intentional change of fashion constantly, right Like, we're constantly being told every season, this is in, these things are out, and I wonder how much of that is an intentional manipulation of sort of like public consumption so that people can continue to be labeled poor or violent or any of the other things that are associated with fashion trends that are not currently most currently of today. That like, that's how you basically keep poor people in a uniform of what I mean by changing the things that we wear.
Speaker 2: My push back to that is that the idea of a uniform. Then that's the constant changing is kind of like contradictive to that, right, because it was like for that if that were the case, it would be a lot of easier to keep things in the same vein that they had always been as opposed to, Like the constant changing is like a lot of young people, I personally can't keep up with fashion. I don't know if a kid does look like a thug or not anymore, you know what? You know what I'm saying, Yeah, And like we're it in that in that and that's the nature of fashion kind of evolving so quickly, whereas it was like you know, if you were a white guy and you rolled up a pack of cigarettes in your shirt, that meant you were a tough guy for like fifteen years like that that I think.
Speaker 1: But that's what I But that's what I mean is that like when it was that for fifteen years, there was less profit to be made and less ways for them to identify sort of like themselves separate from these communities. Do you get what I'm saying that, Like, for example, when everybody in the country had to wear a suit to work, it was easier to sort of like mix in with common society, even if for a day, you know what I mean, Like you put your best suit on, you go ride the same train that everybody rides. Suddenly everybody doesn't know what your home situation is. But now, because of the intentional, like constant changing of fashion trends, I think there is a way for you to be able to like point somebody out in the crowd and be like, Yo, that motherfucker ain't got the same shit that everybody else has, and that branding, to your point, played a major part in it.
Speaker 2: I do see what you're saying, is like it does feel like that is the capitalism of it all, Like that idea of like you have to buy clothes to prove and show who you are. Yeah, and that that and that does keep you buying clothes where it's like I mean, I think we're all slaves to it to some degree and probably probably more than ever, right you you, because like I do tend to judge people by how they dress in that like, not in like a way that I think it's good or bad, but I do feel like I'm like, oh, I could kind of tell something about you, you know what I mean? By the one the close situation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I think it's hard not to have passed some judgment as it relates to the clothes that people wear, and that's intentional. Like I think, like, in my opinion, there's something rooted in sort of like the capitalistic nature of the fashion industry that like they're one hundred percent gonna figure out a way to like make something a new wave faster than the old wave died. Like they have to. They have to make us start being like, no, you're gonna wear this. Think I bought baggy pants again. And I've spent the past, you know, fifteen years before that, like everything was tight or fitted or whatever it is. And now I'm just right back wearing the clothes that I thought were stupid in two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: Brother, I never laughed. I knew this would come. I got a drawer full of echoes just in case.
Speaker 1: They'll come home eventually.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they always do.
Speaker 1: Go ahead, baby girl, cheat away.
Speaker 2: I guess So, I guess what I had thought that you meant, because I think we we're talking about it more specifically for black people, right, And I guess my point was within that is that I feel like a lot of black fashion tends to be fucking traditional trends, so that like, yeah, so that the trends coming out are a rejection of whatever big fashion is doing at the time, right, We're not even a rejection, just like a modification. And in that I don't think that the fashion industry can keep up with that or people like that, and that they're kind of playing catchup.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I do think the Internet sort of cracks something for sure. We're with the way that they move, right, Yeah, yeah, I didn't it helps certain things. Like I do think that kids today are way more fashionable than Yeah, helped them quite a bit and then too, But like kids today are way more fashionable than I certainly knew us to be as kids, And I think in part, I think part of it is just that they're constantly able to see what every body's trying now in a way that we weren't able to do. But on the flip side, I think that that wave of judgment can still exist for like people who don't play inside of those games, you know what I mean that, like you, if you're not fashioned forward now and you're just like an old navy ass kid, I bet you still get made fun of the way that we would have gotten made fun of if we had, like a brand that wasn't the cool brand when the cool brand.
Speaker 2: Was happening, or like a fake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, if you had the the you know, the infamous poo boo uh sweatshirt, then you you got eaten the fuck alive and possibly for the rest of your life. Remember Oh yeah, I remember dadas fake fake dadas.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Man, it was bad, bro. It was wow, this is so bad. Bro.
Speaker 1: It was you don't even have to fake those, that's not uh, that's not when the sacrifice.
Speaker 2: Depends on how poor you are. We got it.
Speaker 1: That's crazy, get it.
Speaker 2: And I knew it was. I knew man, it was it. It's just like Chinese shoe store, like everything was faking there. Everything was faking there. It was like is it deep in Aurora and like a terrible strip mall, Like you know the strip mall where the kid goes to buy the goonies or the kid goes to buy the fucking uh to go buy the ground. That's like where I got these shoes at. Nothing in their fit right, And it was like the box set data, but it was just reversed, you know what I'm saying. So like because you remember the data logo was like lowercase DS. This ship was like lowercase bs. Oh yeah, I got about.
Speaker 1: Half walking around in babas Bro.
Speaker 2: I got about half three quarters of the way through the first day in ninth grade.
Speaker 1: Fuck fuck they figured it out.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It was at the assembly where all the freshmen like, it's like these dudes from the football from my team is I hate I hate watching you hear it because it no, it was this is traumatic, man, it's fuck. And people found it first. Yep.
Speaker 1: It wasn't even like, oh, your biggest hater founded and you could like it was hot school on the wall of like your your homies.
Speaker 2: It was. I had a pretty clean canvas.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 2: Between eighth and ninth grade. I went to four different schools, so it was a brand new set of people. I was I was gonna be okay.
Speaker 1: You just had to wear a believable snigger for one day and you couldn't do it. You couldn't fucking pull it off.
Speaker 2: And then it was And then it was sucked because my mom was like, I'm not getting your new shoes, so that I had to go. I had to go back to the old shoes that I've been wearing all some it was. It was rough, it was, but pressure makes Diamonds one of the better football seasons I ever played. Because I needed it. I needed it. Fuck man, I needed it.
Speaker 1: No, I hear it, I hear it. I hear the desperation still bringing around in your voice. That's it was fuck brutal.
Speaker 2: It was. So it's like one of those you ever have a kid when you come home and you're like, maybe Pussy's just not for me. That's how that's how maybe you know I probably is not even ever, that's never gonna happen for me.
Speaker 1: Maybe this ain't my sport.
Speaker 2: Was the only thing that kept me alive.
Speaker 1: No, I meant that metaphorically, yeah, not the literal sport. Just maybe this ain't the way I'm the game I'm supposed to be playing.
Speaker 2: And that ship it really gets in your head. Because now I can afford the clothes I want, I still make some poor decisions. I have ought views on colors as well.
Speaker 1: I will say that this this like it connects back to my theory about some of this, this sort of intentional altering of fashion, right that like, to some extent, we would all benefit in society as a whole would benefit from uniforms. Like if we all just sort of locked in on like a general vibe. It doesn't have to be like matching colors and shit, but just a general vibe of this is what your silhouette and clothes should look like. You wear this shirt, these pants, this jacket, pick your colors, enjoy your day.
Speaker 2: But that it is that it is that it's just how much do you have an eye for it? How keen are you it is that if you like? It's like even from any given time, if you look at videos, everybody generally dresses the same way. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But but I'm saying that, like there's something broken in us acknowledging the silhouette is the thing that is fashion, but then judging the price of the thing or the quality of the thing based off it's its value, right, And that's the manipulation. Fashion doesn't have to change, It doesn't need to constantly be changing. It wants to constantly be changing so that the value of what you're wearing can also change.
Speaker 2: I Okay, I see where you're coming from with that. I thought I thought what you were getting at was a more sinister, calculated directed towards black people type of situation that threwards poor people, right. I mean that point that you're making, I think is completely true. It's not rich people who are buying sheen, you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, they they are. They want us to be death really seeking, you know, these sort of images we see on television, and then they constantly change the images so that we, in essence go broke, just chasing an unwinnable game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which is like, but that The difficult thing about that With things like specifically fashion is like, are you brave enough to opt out? I'm not a very fashion forward person, but I'm not dressing like I want to completely you know what I'm saying, I can't like because that is like a that's like I think you have to be richer than I am. Yeah.
Speaker 1: No, And again it goes back to the bandanas, right, It's like there's a form of fashion that I have not been brave enough to like venture into. And I think that is the continual opting in.
Speaker 2: Which is interesting.
Speaker 1: I still aspire to be able to look this way in my clothes, so I'll keep buying more shit.
Speaker 2: That's very interesting to me because I always viewed you as b and I always thought you were like a fast not like a fashionista. That's like a demeaning terms a very fashionable person. Oh thank you. I mean I try to be.
Speaker 1: But I think there's a difference between being like a fashionable like regular schmegular dude and like one of those dudes who can, like I like, has an eye for like trying something funky, and then that sort of like is like, oh he can dress, but I think most people, nah, you know, like he puts it, he looks good in its outfits. But but there are motherfuckers who can dress right. A part of me wants to be able to be that, and I don't have it, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I get that. And now do you feel like that is because an unwillingness to buck the trends or do you feel like, like, do you feel like that is because you were caught up in this cycle that they are perpetuating for or do you feel like you just don't have the eye for it.
Speaker 1: I think it's probably more an unwillingness to open myself up for roasting right in a way that I I'm it just requires a type of like I don't give a fuck to be able to like pull some of that off, you know what I mean? Gerrod going to the Emmys shirtless with just the fur coat, you gotta really like reach a point of like, I don't give a fuck what part of me is showing or how people respond to it. It just is and I don't feel that way. And thus there's so many obstructions and how I can view a jacket, a pant, a shirt, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: Interesting? Yeah, I do know, I know, I definitely know what you mean. That's very interesting. Do you feel like what would it take? Because I think with the issues of that, what this is, like, what we're talking about, is how do we break free? Right ultimately? Like what would it take to be able to achieve that freedom?
Speaker 1: I think what I want to be able to do is learn to become a uniform guy, but like a uniform where.
Speaker 2: Like like a dog out any type of thing.
Speaker 1: I got like six outfits and they're all so so fucking correct to my style that like it don't matter that I wear that every other day, you know what I mean, Like people are just like that shit, he'd just be looking good man. He just that his outfits are so hard. He only got six shirts in his closet. But they're all fucking five that.
Speaker 2: I do understand that because even as a kid, I always yeah, I remember being like in like fifth or sixth grade and really wanting to crack it in the way where it was just like if I could just like, like I always thought about that. It's never happened, but I always Well, actually there was a time from like five to eight, yeah, where it was very easy when when when foot Locker was doing the four T shirts for twenty yeah, that because I had, like because I worked a lot back then, so I had like twenty fitted hats and then like two plain T shirts and like every color a million white ones. And that was probably the best I've ever That era was probably the best I've ever done clothing.
Speaker 1: The white tea era for black men, I think, really was a groundbreaking movement for fast and this again, this goes back to my point to some extent about this constant changing, Right, It's like the reality was white teams became popular because a bunch of people decided they weren't going to spend crazy money on like their shirt, they could just look crisp with a white tea. Then you can focus on jeans and shoes. Right, that was like where the style came from. But as fashion high fashion got a hold of that, then they started putting value on the differences between buying a pack of Hanes versus like having a branded white tea, and that effectively forced people in some ways to spend forty five dollars sometimes one hundred dollars on a white tea that isn't even better necessarily than the shit that you would get out of Haynes, but it is branded, it is kissed by the ring of high fashion, and that then leads to people sort of being left behind in the process.
Speaker 2: I think, here, here's what I understand. I think I'm starting to understand our fundamental differences here within this conversation. I have been left behind the Okay, never even crossed my mind and.
Speaker 1: Never crossed your mind that they did that or no, it's not even.
Speaker 2: They don't have it in my side, it's not even as truly, the top of the white tea mountain to me is was and always will be the pro club T shirt because the next stays tight because I got a big, big ass head. But like, yeah, so that's what it is. I think that like even now with fashion. I'm really trying to stay as close to OA as I can. That's a good summer for me.
Speaker 1: Well, I I will say, and not to really seat box this ship. I will say that even what you're talking about in terms of size is an element of how they sort of like can constantly label people not, you know what I mean, fashionable or not of an ilk that we want to celebrate, you know what I mean. Like, there's a reason that these high fashion brands are not making triple xl T shirts or whatever it is because they don't want y'all over there. They're telling me, they're telling you, and they can't tell you legally anymore. They can't be like, get your fat ass out of my store, So they just don't make the shirt that you want. And then you go, you got a shirt for me, and they go, no, no, we don't got a shirt for you.
Speaker 2: Get out. But that being said, it has caused me to like not pay attention to the trends, and like, I don't I feel like there was a time where I felt very victimized. Is of the word because I ain't bitch, but like there was a time where I felt very under the thumb of whatever the fashion trends were, and I don't feel that way.
Speaker 1: I think I feel less that way than I felt in my younger years.
Speaker 2: But that also might be the confidence of older age of you.
Speaker 1: I think it's a confident.
Speaker 2: Having a little bit of money, you know, I mean living.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the thing is, like I do think you you reach a type of settled where it's like, well, I'm not going to win the game anymore. So as long as I don't look like I'm not keeping up, I'm fine, you know what I mean. Like, I'm cool with with being a little off and whatever y'all got to say about it, say it, I'll be okay, right.
Speaker 2: I Also, I also am thankful I talk well. So fashion is never my true form of expression anyway.
Speaker 1: And I do think that that, you know, we've talked about it a little bit on the show. That it does get weird when comedians become too sexy. It's not good fashion shape, all of it. All of it makes comedy worse. For sure. If your favorite comedians getting sexy, then they're getting less funny, and that that feels almost guaranteed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if your com favorite comedian is hot, you don't have a good sense of humor. Wall I mean, shout out there's some good hot comedians there are, because it also makes me sound like such a hater, and I truly don't think that.
Speaker 1: No, there are some good hot comedians, but I also think the best hot comedians, like true hot comedians, are the ones that are kind of like acknowledging it and playing with it more than the ones that are just sort of like pretending that you don't notice what they look like in an obnoxious way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, also the freaks. I mean, I think the best humor is born from being an outsider, and there's like, I definitely believe that you could be hot and still be an outsider.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, fair enough. Well, we need to take one more break. We're gonna come back. We're gonna keep talking about the fashion trends and the way that they're trying to destroy our lives. More David more likes more.
Speaker 2: Ma Mama told me.
Speaker 1: We're calling upon you because we have we have new merch. We have very exciting merch that we are now selling and it's it's fucking great. We love it so much.
Speaker 2: Just sleek, it's sexy.
Speaker 1: Come on, you want to tell them what we have Yeah.
Speaker 2: We have three different types of hats, which is really fun. We have a two tone hat Alien Dad hat, the traditional logo in black and khaki, and we have the enamel pin with an alien who has a coofie on it since my mama told me. And then we have t shirts that say proud little Mama, which is who you are. Yeah, you can buy the merch now, go to my mama told me dot merch table dot com. It's a brand new name, but it's the same old merch and we would love for you to get some if you haven't got it already, and we want you to have all the sweet stuff, so get it.
Speaker 4: I actually am one point four percent Nigerian African.
Speaker 3: I'm a sister.
Speaker 2: Okay, we are back with that clip from Jesse Smolette discuss in fashion. Here's a question I have for you, truly and I would really like a very deep answer fashion wise, yeap, what was your best year? What was the year where you were like, yeah, I made all the right moves.
Speaker 1: Mmmm mmmm. I think the year the first like four months of my seventh grade year. I feel like I was really in my bag.
Speaker 2: Bro, same before everybody found out Burlington Co factory was cheap.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I was like, uh, I was hidden out. There was a place called Value City in Chicago that I was hitting really hard, and they, similar to Burlington Cofactory, had like all the you know, the deformed fu boo and fucking the ship that fell off of a truck, but was still pretty good to me. And I just remember like buying a bunch of outfits that like I was, I was rocking. And it was the first three months or four months because I was hitting them so hard because they were great fucking outfits that eventually one of my friends told me that the girls had said that I was wearing my outfits too much like that. People had been people had been talking, and they were hitting me. They were hitting me with that he wear that ship every day, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: That that.
Speaker 1: They were getting familiar.
Speaker 2: Damn. That's a hard one.
Speaker 1: Real recognized real and they was looking familiar and damn. And so I think it was like around like December that I was stressing because I thought I was killing it, and I probably was, but but once they started noticing it was fun.
Speaker 2: Man. Now you got this ship laid out on the bed trying to make new combos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I ain't never hit him like this before pieces you've been wearing.
Speaker 2: That's devastating. That is devastating, I know because it's like because I know, I know. I understand though, because it's like that first day of school. You have, like the first three four days of school, the fits already planned, right.
Speaker 1: You're murdering and murderer's row of gorgeous outfits first three days.
Speaker 2: And to speak to your uniform idea, you kind of feel like maybe I could just keep this going in that way, bro.
Speaker 4: The response was so was so good. We all liked the outphit. You told me, your niggas told me you liked this. Why would I not let you see it again? We all agreed, like good outfit, I A. So that meant you wanted to see.
Speaker 1: It some more?
Speaker 2: Oh man?
Speaker 1: And I was wrong, fair enough?
Speaker 2: Oh man. That is that is That's that's a villain orange origin story.
Speaker 1: Bro. I've had I've had a few. I've had a few moments where.
Speaker 2: He wears that ship all the time. It's almost worse than being Dusty, because at least in being dusty, there is a there's a variance, you know what I mean, There's like you can have a lot of dusty T shirts. Yeah, we're in that ship all the time.
Speaker 1: Oh man, Yeah, it's a it's a near an impolite way of being, Like I think he's not washing his clothes. Yea, and then that makes you a dirty person, That makes you a musty person. It opens up all kinds of cans of worms that that ruin your life in a middle school environment. So no, it it was a low low for me followed by a very high high.
Speaker 2: Were you doing your own laundry?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I was doing I've been doing my own laundry since I was like, I think, like third fourth grade.
Speaker 2: My mom was like, now you're gonna same. Yeah, but did you when I was younger? I was kind of a few a couple of rough years where like the wear and terror would show what you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Oh, that you were washing too much and then you your little shit was wearing thins.
Speaker 2: Yeah, a little too hot?
Speaker 1: Why is his shirt unron a bole?
Speaker 2: Now? It because it's it's just because I wanted to be a pelly Pelly, not a smelly smelly but damn seventh seventh grade man.
Speaker 1: I really do maintain that that I think there is something. There is a bit of nasty work happening as it relates to the way that that fashion is manipulated in this country. I don't necessarily know that I've I don't know that I've nailed down perfectly what the full plan is. I think some of this obviously is conjecture and speculation, But I do think that the capitalistic nature of our fashion industry alone is a sign of it being not for the people.
Speaker 2: I mean, for sure, I definitely think that we are operating at the speed of purchase more than any But I think it's like indicative. I think it's all things right. I think it's the way it's the same as I mean, it's like it almost feels like it's an offshoot of technology.
Speaker 1: Right right there. There are very few things in this world that are not built to scam us at this point. There's no sincere product that just wants you to have what you have with out any up selling and trickery cooked underneath it exactly.
Speaker 2: And uh, you know, what are you gonna do, be Dusty.
Speaker 1: What are you gonna do have somebody say you wear that every day?
Speaker 2: Come on?
Speaker 1: Not on my watch.
Speaker 2: Come on. I went through that more as an adult because when I first started comedy, I had lived on a couch, So it was just like I would have like an outfit per season. Whoa like like it would just be this season, I got this jacket and every Facebook picture. You know what I'm saying.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just that you're gonna see that jacket a lot. That jacket is that jacket is doing a one man show for the next three.
Speaker 2: Months, Yes, sir, and then it's gonna get hot out. I'm gonna pull out these three T shirts again. Fuck you know allward and upward. Look at us. We survived, you know longer. The dude who wears the same outfits my dog dogs go the right way.
Speaker 1: You want to tell the people where they can find you what cool shit you have going on?
Speaker 2: Cool guy jokes eighty seven on Instagram, Patreon, dot com, black slash David Bori for all things pertaining to my special birth of a Nation. I just got the first cut and baby it is looking sweet. Sex See it's a one minute clip. I'll set it to the group chat. You guys can see it and tell everybody how funny I am. Yeah, yeah, So check that out. July twelfth, Exploding Kittens premieres on Netflix. So yeah, this weekend, June thirtieth Sunday, you can catch me at Helium Comedy Club in Portland, Oregon. Tickets are going fast, so get those before they sell out. What is my new hour compared to what my.
Speaker 1: Old one is?
Speaker 2: All? Is it good? Will? I be there trying my damnedest for your approval? Well, it was just Father's Day, so I'm seeking a lot. Come find out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, go see David. Go invest in the Patreon and by invest, I mean spend absolutely nothing. It's free and thug around and find out. And as always, you can follow me at Langston Kerman on all the social media platforms. August twentieth, Bad Poetry on Netflix. That's the name of the special. I'd love for you to check it out. And as always, if you want to send us your own drops, your own conspiracies, if you want to tell us what piece of clothing we can both buy to solve all of our problems permanently, send it all to my Mama pod at gmail dot com. By the merch like, subscribe, follow, rate, review, rebate, do all the ship that you're supposed to do. As always, be blessed bye bitch, the government, brown.
Speaker 3: Babies, my grown chips in your namies. All Kuala bears are racist. The host layer hosting money, our ships and many attorney stuff. I can't tell me nothing