Speaker 1: Ladies and gentlemen the boys. Thank you for coming on Busting with the Boys. My name is Taylor la One. This is my young gentleman next to me, Will Compton. I'm so excited to have you on today. You know why because we're gonna have a little lesson. You guys are a little tiny puppies. You're just getting potty trained, and you guys are getting more responsibility as you go, and I'm really happy for you. What I need you to do, if you can listen to me, listen to my soothing voice, I need you to go. You need to pull out your phone. If you're driving, pull over park, look at your phone. Go on busting' WTB. That's for Twitter and Instagram. You need to follow and just like everything, be that annoying guy that likes all of it, just so you're trying to get attention. Do that. Go to YouTube. I need you to go on YouTube. I need you to subscribe because there's a lot of things we're doing well here, but one thing if I had to put in a column of could do better or needs work, subscribers, we need a little babies to do it. And if you subscribe and you forget about us. Guess what, We're still getting them clicks babies. All right, So it's gonna be okay. You're gonna be okay because I'm gonna hold your hand through the whole thing.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 1: Our guest today is probably my biggest nightmare come true. My guest today. Our guest today, the bust one with the boys was Mike Rabel, the head coach at the Tennessee Titans. Not only is he a head coach, before that, he was with the Houston Texans for two years once is the DC and then the year before that was a linebacker. Keep going backwards, it's like a real It's like a Quentin Tarantino movie. We're going backwards before we go forwards. So now we're going backwards to any farther. Now we're at Ohio State. He plays the He coached there for I believe one or two years. Not really important because it's Ohio State and nobody cares on the bus. So now we go back and I'm gonna just go on a long way here. The man played fourteen years in the NFL. If you're thinking, how good is that, well, the answer is the average in the NFL is three and a half years so pretty good. Okay, okay, he did pretty good. A lot of guys don't do as good. So he did pretty good, all right, fourteen years there, played at Ohio State before, so you can tell he doesn't make the best life decisions. But I will tell you the man is very charismatic. He's a great leader, He's got a lot of fun conversation. He just absolutely butchers will. It's very unfortunate to see. And I'm looking at one of my best friends on the highway like roadkill, and I don't know what to do to I drag him off the road or just let him suffer or just wait for that semi tried to hit him again, so we know for sure he's dead, you know what I'm saying, because he ain't gonna make it regardless. I want to give a little shout out to our boys with the Quaker City Nighthawks. Why cause that's a dope af to see. I'm twenty nineteen babies, and I'm twenty seven years old, and look at me, dude, I'm so hip with it. Quaker City Nighthawks af all right, the coolest intro song we've got, that's our interest song, and it's a dope name. Thank you to those guys helping us out with that whole thing. So I don't know what else to say other than you are now bus and with the boys. They boys, big hugs, and remember, I just want you to.
Speaker 2: Know we've had to tape a couple. Yeah, I can only imagine good ones.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this bus was picked up in Mississippi.
Speaker 3: So what were they using it before this? What were they doing with it before this?
Speaker 1: It was the NASCAR bus like they were taking it to different NASCAR events.
Speaker 4: It actually ran.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you used to run and now it's the Will's home.
Speaker 2: We're trying to get it running again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, dude, you will get anything going. Joe got this thing the generator running. Good for jet were rolling, all right, Thank you for coming on busting with the boys. Will and I don't want to be here tonight. We are, we are, We're about to go down dark.
Speaker 2: Let's tell the truth. Now, let's tell the truth. We wanted to come on the bus. Id okay, cool, I wanted you to come on to you.
Speaker 4: That's dodging me. That daddy is home just in case you guys.
Speaker 1: Hey, look, first off, let's just let's just hit it real quick. All right. I don't know if you see a little the TV. There's three keys to success. The number one most important thing, and I know you can read, but I'll say it for you. It's our podcast, not a squad. We're running this.
Speaker 2: Ship down.
Speaker 1: It's important, all right. Number two, don't interrupt the boys. You might be thinking this is a good time for me to come in. You're gonna get met with a quick oops. Sorry, we made a mistake. We interrupted. We're gonna move on, all right, Hey, come on, don't start and Jesus is already ruining the podcast. And then last thing, can't settle for field goals Eagles game. Yeah, you were a bit of a hero that day.
Speaker 4: There you go.
Speaker 1: So we got we got two.
Speaker 3: I'll do my best. I understand that this is your podcast. I will try not to interrupt.
Speaker 2: It's our cast.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 4: He just pays for it. You're in charge. I got it.
Speaker 2: We already got shot fire it. Hey, but you you had texted You had texted Taylor and say, hey, when's we gonna stop dodging me on the bus?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: I didn't. I don't think I texted him. I walked in the offensive lind meeting.
Speaker 1: Well, that's happened. Well, it goes back way farther than that. If we first started this podcast, you were like you kind of gave me like the all right, so whenever you want Dad on the bus, let me know. Because every time he comes to the old line room, he walked, he opens the door, and I never looked behind me because I always assume it's him, and he yeah, he's always got three three in the trigger, three in the chamber. Baby baby walks up, goes up right behind me, slaps the ship out of my back every time he goes Daddy's home, boys, what are we doing? And I'm just what are we doing? And what are we going over?
Speaker 3: But it's I mean, it's a decent idea. I mean, summer ratings dip. You just bring Daddy on and then let's see if we can get early July bomb.
Speaker 2: But the main thing is you you have you had my number, You've always had my number I have And I know you wanted to speak to Taylor, but Taylor told me, and I'm like, my god, that's a nice little fire, Like when's we're gonna stop dugging me? And but I'm like, you know, the boy, he's got my number. We can, we can know, we can make it happen.
Speaker 4: Which we go to camp July twenty fifth, and you know, obviously a lot of things. Three of us are just the two of us right now, it's just gonna be the us right now, it's just the two of them.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm not gonna lie when he said we got camp Jolly twenty fifth already, like gonna he's just gonna take a shot at me right now's.
Speaker 1: Gonna open the door. And John Robinson right there with like your letter getting invited. Oh man, So what's going on with that? You like Riley Bullert better?
Speaker 4: No, it's not that we like we do not have to do this.
Speaker 2: We're not going through you.
Speaker 1: No, no, we're not. Do you want to listen?
Speaker 3: If everybody wants to know the answer, it's pro football. A lot of those things happen, and that's the guy.
Speaker 2: It's the business, guys.
Speaker 1: It's part of the gig.
Speaker 2: Guys. Yeah, I get it. Will he's not in the room anymore. Like it's pro football. It's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: I still say it because you're consistent. You're consistent. You're going from good to great this year.
Speaker 4: I can tell we're doing our best.
Speaker 1: We're doing our absolutely.
Speaker 2: Did you think about your funny subject matter the way he wanted to be treated?
Speaker 1: Yeah? So like you're my boss, and so I got there's a there's a fine line, right, we'll right what I can toe and I can't toe. So I gotta know, like, do you want special treatment while you're on here? Do you want to be treated like everybody else?
Speaker 3: I think you can ask me whatever you want to ask me, and I have an opportunity to answer it however I want.
Speaker 1: Okay, cool, he's solid. Well, all right, tell me about the first time you masturbated?
Speaker 4: How was that? You know that you you we've been We've been through this. It wasn't that great.
Speaker 3: We've been through There are conversations that are going into the old line row and you will you can't answer.
Speaker 4: You can't ask a question that you already.
Speaker 1: Tell me about the first time you lost your virginity?
Speaker 4: What was already know that?
Speaker 1: I don't know that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. When everybody has to rank one to ten, it's like some guys are like a three.
Speaker 1: First off, Hey, I.
Speaker 2: Don't know you. I don't know the virginity story. That's the old line gig when you're in our room. It's just let me just take.
Speaker 4: It was with my wife, our wedding night. It was a very special occasion. It was amazing. It was amazing special the last five minutes of my life.
Speaker 1: Five minutes. That's a record setting for your first time. Oh, we'll just take a driver of the list you got to follow up?
Speaker 3: Or no?
Speaker 2: What is now? I know you basically shoved down both the funny fun questions. What we got up there? So, uh, let's start from the beginning. Ohio state. You grew up. You grew up in Ohio?
Speaker 4: Right, I did?
Speaker 2: What made you go to Ohio? Stay?
Speaker 1: Were you like?
Speaker 4: I was committed. I was going to go to Michigan and what yep?
Speaker 2: Oh, here we go.
Speaker 3: We got what you would call it Michigan lean up until the time I took my visit and then.
Speaker 4: It didn't go well.
Speaker 3: It was one of those bad this is back in wheneveryboy, he took visits like you didn't commit until you took a visit after the senior year, and that you know.
Speaker 4: That's how it was.
Speaker 3: And so went to Notre Dame. I loved it, went, but it really wasn't in play. Michigan was still the lean. And then I took my visit in December. Next week went to Ohio State and realized that Ohio State was was the place for me. But I really just because my first I went I went to a football camp. I went to the Michigan football camp with my buddies in high school. Just went up there, stayed in the dorms, was out running around on the field and they asked, this is when Gary Muller was still the coach. When they said, Coach Mouller want to see him thinking we didn't get in trouble already.
Speaker 4: We only been here like six hours.
Speaker 3: And so then he offered me a scholarship just in his office. I had no idea, like I wasn't being really recruited or anything. And then he offered me a scholarship, and then played my next year and went up there on saturdays for football games, and just it just wasn't right. Fit, just wasn't right fit.
Speaker 1: Was there something specific that happened during your visit, like the guys you just didn't mess with the dude.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the guy that they gave me, it didn't go well. He said he got sick. But then you know Lloyd I will tell you this. Lloyd Carr's son, Jason salvaged the visit was he was phenomenal to this day.
Speaker 4: I remember the visit because of that.
Speaker 3: He wasn't my host, but he's like, dude, I know you're not coming here, but I'll make this night fun.
Speaker 2: And it was because of your visit.
Speaker 3: When you change your mind, yeah wow, because I think to me, the thing I told Tyler when he went to Boston was looking at colleges or even when now Carter's looking isn't don't pick the school because you have a relationship with the coach.
Speaker 4: You think the coach is cool. You got to pick a school because of the players in the school.
Speaker 3: Like, the players don't leave and the school never changes, But the coaches, you'a offer him two hundred thousand dollars more, they're leaving. I don't care what they say. In recruiting, I told every kid I recruited the same way. If something else comes along, that's better for me my family than Ohio State, I'm gonna go. But Ohio State's still the best place for you. And that's what happened. I when I'm going to the Texas, Yeah, and had to call and I went I left before recruiting. I'm like, I'm not gonna wait till February third to leave and go to the Texans. I'm gonna leave in January when you know the job's ready. And I told every kid that I was recruiting, this is the best place for me and Jen and Carter and Tyler, and Ohio State's the best place for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you had you had a good You had a good like recruiting store. I think you told me who was it? Some linebacker that wanted to bring you into a hot stain. You like left a baseball game to like go see him at Ohio State and you're like, listen, May like I'm not.
Speaker 3: He ended up in Georgia, and you know it was just you're at the beck and call of some of these guys and they're just and he's like, I thought this would be a lot better. I was like, listen, man, I left the baseball game to come like see you, Like, let's let's do the stadium tour where you want to go?
Speaker 4: Like, but my kid over here playing baseball down the street.
Speaker 2: And you always kept a real with the recruits that came in. That's saying you were gonna not not that you're gonna leave, but you're like listen, like it's the business.
Speaker 1: I don't think you ever publicized to another player like hey, there's a chance that won't be here.
Speaker 3: No, but I always told him like just because you may like me or you may like your position, coach like, that's great, but if you don't get in and see the players and hang out with the players, those are the guys that you I mean, you're best are the ones My best friends are the ones I played college football with, and some of them from pro football, but obviously the ones that you you go to college and you kind of figure out who you are. Like the high school is tough, it's you know, a lot of a lot of kids. My kids moved around, they're in different high schools. But you get to college you kind of figure out, like who you hang out with, who your guys like, what they like, and that's kind of where you figure out, you know, who you're gonna hang out with and be friends with.
Speaker 2: I got you and fast forwarding after college, you got you. You were drafting the third round right yep, to the Patriot to uh steel Steelers. Your transition from like, well what happened at the Steelers that made you a longtime guy with the Patriots.
Speaker 3: So I think what happened was they tried to play me at D line. I tried to play d ND in Pittsburgh. So literally my first year, I think I played six positions. I played like three technique five technique outside backer, and I mean that was all over them, just because you were kind of tweeting because I was real measurable, correct, but I but I salvaged on some role on third down in special teams. Then I was in a car accident and I lost like twenty pounds, and so they were like, well, we think you'd probably be a better outside linebacker. So I ended up learning how to play that position. Took a little longer, took probably two years until I was ready to start. By that time, Joey Porter was starting and I was playing, but I was rotating. It was like play a series each half. So my contract came up and Belichick offered me less than what I got as a rookie signing bonus. It was just an opportunity deal, and Cower was like, I think, you know, I can give you that money, but I can't give you the same opportunity. So then I took the opportunity and.
Speaker 2: You're with the Patriots.
Speaker 4: How long eight years?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 2: Was that your favorite? That was probably your favorite?
Speaker 3: Stant Well, I mean obviously, I mean it's where we had the most success as a team individually.
Speaker 4: You know, it was good. I'll be honest with you.
Speaker 3: My first what eight years of four years of high school and four years of Pittsburgh.
Speaker 4: I was no longer than two hours away from my house.
Speaker 2: Four years saying four years of college, four years of college school, yeah, four years of college, excuse me?
Speaker 3: And then four years and then fell I was no more than an hour and forty five minutes from Akron, Ohio, Columbus and Pittsburgh. So it was kind of like it was good for us as a family to get away and just it was us. It was us four Carter was born when we were up there, and it was just good just to be able to get away.
Speaker 4: And not have just friends family being there every single minute.
Speaker 2: And a lot of your buddies came from the Patriots. I only say that because I saw you at the I saw you in a picture at what was it, the Kentucky Derby with all the boys and I'm sitting there, like I'm sitting there chuckling, like, look at Brave just with the boys that like that he played like he's a coach now that he's probably there, like, hey, boys, remember I whooped your ass this past year? You know what I mean?
Speaker 3: Probably, I mean a pretty good chance I would I would imagine that that went on. But it's unique to still be able to I mean, suck Up was a rookie.
Speaker 4: When I was a player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's right in Kansas City.
Speaker 3: So it's it's kind of funny to look at him and see how he he's grown and he's you know, got a wife and kids, and he's still playing. And I mean he was a rookie when I was still playing in Kansas City and k lou last year, right, you know. I think the one thing with the Patriots was the first year that I signed there in two thousand and one, there was twenty six new players on that team, like Bill had completely just flipped the roster from two thousand to two thousand.
Speaker 4: And one, and William McGinnis was was a holdover, Teddy.
Speaker 3: Bruski ty law lawyer Marloy and we drafted Seymour that year and Tom.
Speaker 4: You know, Brady was a holdover, but you know, he really was just a backup quarterback.
Speaker 3: And then Bledsoe got hurt and I think in the third week and Tom kind of came in and you know, we kind of got on a roll and won.
Speaker 4: I think we won nine games after Thanksgiving. If you can imagine that.
Speaker 1: Before Tom played, could you tell he was special?
Speaker 4: Well, I watched him work and I did think that he was a dude. He was a leader.
Speaker 3: He was a dude that when we went out in training camp and we had a night off or whatever, he was right in the middle with the boys and you know, having a good time. And I get that that's changed over the course of his career and his life and you know, his family and as he's gotten older. But I think you recognized early on that people would play for him, that guys would play hard for him.
Speaker 4: And and we threw a lot, We ran the ball, We threw a bunch of screens.
Speaker 3: Troy Brown had like one hundred and five catches for seven and a half yard average.
Speaker 4: I mean, it was just we manufactured wins that first year.
Speaker 3: But there were so many new players that the Larry Izzo came in and we had so many new guys that we didn't have a chance. There was no other way than to come together with the holdovers that they had, and then all these other new guys that that Billett signed in free agency.
Speaker 2: How how did you how did your mindset change? Like after you playing with the Patriots for eight years and you how long did you play at KC too? How much did your like mindset change, like as you became more of a veteran in the year after year, like those last couple of years in KC. How did they differ? How they differ for you from Patriots to Casey? You kind of know you're on your back nine and obviously you're you're stacking up a lot of years. But how much does your psyche and stuff change? And your way you're the way you probably go about work doesn't change, but you probably have to force yourself to do, you know.
Speaker 4: And I've and I've said this story before with.
Speaker 3: About how I ended up in Kansas City, had a year left on my contract and I wanted to finish up in New England and it was I'd like a new contract or or trade me and Bill opted for the trade and he called me and said, hey, we're going to move you to Kansas City. And Puoli had just taken the general manager's job, and so I said, I guess I should probably call Scott.
Speaker 4: And that's about how long the conversation lasted.
Speaker 3: And I called Scott because I had a roster bonus to I think the next day, and he needed me to fly in and take a physical. And you know, Bill and I didn't talk for I guess the next two years. And then I started coaching Ohio State and I asked him. I called him and I said, what do you think about coaching?
Speaker 4: And you know, we talked a little bit, and so still obviously close.
Speaker 3: But you know, I think when you get traded and haven't been somewhere for eight years, you know there's a lot of emotion that that goes on.
Speaker 4: You know, half the family roots for him, half the family.
Speaker 2: Roots there, and it's there's some bitterness.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think so, But then you know, that's why I try to have a lot of honesty with with players even now just haven't been through that.
Speaker 1: But but I was.
Speaker 4: I was a rookie that really didn't play, that was a special teams player. I was a kind of that.
Speaker 3: Third four year purgatory where you're not starting, but you're around. I gotta make this roster every single August. I gotta I gotta make sure that that I'm on every special teams and I'm I know more, I'm a backup at more than one position, and I don't know. Jen, We'll see, you know, come down to the third preseason game when you know we got to play, and we'll see what happens. And so I've been that guy. Then I got an opportunity to be a free agent. Wasn't a cash free agent. It was an opportunity free agent. It wasn't hey take the money, take the biggest contract. It was take the best opportunity and then work my way into a contract where I was a player that was was making good money, that needed to perform, that needed to make sure that he was earning that contract.
Speaker 4: And then I was a veteran player who.
Speaker 3: Probably and not probably, but who wasn't as good as he was when he was in his tenth or eleventh year that had to be a leader and try to get tom Ba Lee and Derrick Johnson and you know some of these guys Jamal Charles Ryan suck up, for example, we were a young team in Kansas City, but that somebody that had to lead and try to be a coach on a field.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, because being being a safe like being at the in here about the being with the Redskins for five years and you go and like they don't they don't, like you know, a deal doesn't work out, or you guys come in, you guys offer some Redskins I want to match and you're like wanting to go back. You're like, you know, you're on the phone. You're like, yeahda YadA YadA, this that the other. And when you go to a new team, like that bitterness you were talking about, you're kind of like, you know, half the family roots for them. You kind of you when we played him last year, like I'm hell, I was in the I was in the Meetia room with you guys.
Speaker 4: Carter had West Carter.
Speaker 3: They played the Saints in two thousand and I guess it would have been nine Monday night and Castle and Matt and Lauren came over and Jen made dinner on a Monday night and Carter came down with a Welker jersey engines like take that goddamn jersey off, and he's It's like Welker's my boy. And Jen's like, no, we're not rooting, like this is a really this is a root for the Saints night. Yeah, and Carter's like, no, like Welker's my boy, I'm like wearing his jersey. So it was, but that's kind of we always half the team will root, half the family root for the Warriors, and half the other team will root for the Raptors.
Speaker 4: And just so he can have some banter in.
Speaker 2: The house, Yeah, did you know you were always going to coach?
Speaker 4: I think I probably did, but it did you know?
Speaker 3: I was so focused on trying to play, and I think, like you guys, and when you get done playing, there's so much that you want to do in the off season. And obviously train, but whether you want to travel or hang out or catch up or whatever you want to do, go back, in our.
Speaker 4: Case, back to Ohio.
Speaker 3: And I tried not to really think about it, because when you start thinking, I think about your next career, then you're really not thinking that football. Yeah, And so I didn't really want to think about that until I probably got to Kansas City. I was like, Okay, we probably got to find out what we want to do after we get done playing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And that's what it started to hit is when you're in Yeah.
Speaker 3: And then it kind of all it really happened fast. I was doing the Players Association. Yeah, we were in the kind of the CBA negotiations, and I was on the executive committee. So we would fly to different places in the country and have meetings for a week. They would always change it up. We'd go to Washington, New York, Minneapolis, Chicago, and that would all come in on like Sunday, and then you'd be gone till like Thursday. And so I knew that as soon as we put pen to paper that I was going to retire. Well, on Memorial Day, Jim Trussell got fired at Ohio State and they named Luke Fickle the interim head coach. Well, Luke was coaching linebackers and he was the defensive coordinator. So looke on make whatever I don't know, twenty first or whatever it was, the Memorial Day fell in that year. Needed a linebacker coach, right, and there weren't you know, a lot of guys have already had jobs and everything else.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, man, I need a reason to retire.
Speaker 3: And he came over and talked to Jen and I about you know, just wanted to make sure that she was on board with you know what the time.
Speaker 4: You know it's going to be a different schedule and everything else, and you guys are tight. Yeah. No, Yeah. He was the best man in my wedding. Yeah, he was the best man of my wedding.
Speaker 3: And now he's at Cincinnati and he was also my host when I went to Ohio State.
Speaker 4: So he did a better job than the guy I yes, O, man, I got to.
Speaker 1: Call it Michigans and they messed up a little bit. That's crazy. So when you transition in all that, like how Tod Jin handle those hours, because when you're do like college coach, that's crazy hours and it's crazy that you're putting your job under fire with eighteen to like twenty two year olds.
Speaker 3: I don't think that she certainly didn't mind the season hours. The hours that kind of catch you off guard are the ones in the spring where you're gone. You literally get on a plane Sunday and you're gone until Friday because it's spring recruiting, and it's Chicago, Dallas, Houston, Florida, Atlanta. It wasn't like just going to Akron, right and just going there and driving back. It's that was the tough part where I realized, like, man, like, the season is the season. The schedules identical as a coach when you're coaching college or you're.
Speaker 4: Coaching pro.
Speaker 3: Except for the fact that you know, I may check in on a couple guys or text them during the week at night or something like.
Speaker 4: But in college it's it's twenty five text messages or direct messages.
Speaker 2: Two jobs.
Speaker 3: It is you get home and even though you might get home at seven, you're sitting there at dinner and a kid's direct message in you're a texting nine.
Speaker 4: You're like, right, do I.
Speaker 1: Really want to do?
Speaker 2: How much does it suck? Like stroking like the high school kids off?
Speaker 3: Well, it's really become an issue. And I think that you look at all the guys and not that everybody you know. A lot of five stars make it, and a lot of five star ours get drafted in the first round and become great players. A lot of five stars fade away and and you never hear from them again. And you know, it's the reason why our league is made up of guys from Michigan, Ohio State Notre Dame, Penn State, Brascama and maybe eventually we'll get down in Nebraska. And then second in our second podcast, Alabama and Greatest come Back.
Speaker 4: All go from everywhere. Proximuly got hurt, you guys, Greatest come Back. And so I can't what happens is they developed.
Speaker 3: They everybody develops at different levels. And you know, I think that that's it's it's called the recruiting. Like these parents nowadays, and they're they're so involved, and these parents are taking pictures with with their kids on these recruiting visits and jerseys and stuff like that, and I'm thinking they have no idea what it's really about to happen as soon as they sign.
Speaker 4: Obviously I did. I was a player.
Speaker 3: I went through the recruiting. I got there, and you know, they try to beat the ship out of you. And and then I did it as a coach, and it's called recruiting. And I remember being on a visit at Boston College and sitting there and listening to the parents say, oh my gosh, you should have seen Johnny in the championship game.
Speaker 4: He was amazing. And the coaches are like.
Speaker 3: Oh wow, And I'm just rolling my eyes, and I'm thinking, don't worry about Tyler. He's been de recruited since birth. Like I've told him, he sucks. You know, you don't have to worry about Tyler. He's been de recruited. So you don't have to worry.
Speaker 1: He sucked.
Speaker 4: He can barely block and don't worry about it. But we call that de recruiting.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's got to I can definitely see you have a hard time with that.
Speaker 3: Well, you have to get it because you know the other guys are good, like Clemson, and you get into a recruiting battle, it's like the kid's gonna start. He's gonna have a single digit, you know, defensive lineman, it's a single digit.
Speaker 4: He's gonna start.
Speaker 3: It's gonna have tense that you know, you just promise him in the world just because you know the next guy is doing the same thing, and you just be honest with him, like you might play.
Speaker 4: We're hoping that you play. And I don't know. I didn't do it long enough.
Speaker 3: I only I only did it for three years, and you know, got some good players and got some guys in one other places.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you raised those rings pretty fast, like you went NFL college boom right to the pros and now you're here.
Speaker 4: Well, I think you tried to do the best job at the job that you have.
Speaker 3: And then, you know, I've never you know, there's a lot of guys that work the phones in college, like they're calling right now. Hey, you know I heard so and so may get a job if he moves on. Man, I'd love to be your defensive coordinator.
Speaker 4: Like I would never call you. I mean, there's a lot of guys who worked the phone. I've never called you.
Speaker 2: Don't do that.
Speaker 4: I've never called anybody.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 3: Bill O'Brien got the job with the Texans and he called me after the bowl game at Ohio State. You know, we had a little break after the Orange Bowl, and he said, you know, I'm gonna take this job and would like you to be the linebacker coach. And Jenn and I talked about it and decided that, you know, going back to the NFL where we spent fourteen years would be the best thing. And then was the linebacker coach. And then you know, Chip Kelly called and asked the interview. As DC went out there interview, decided not to take it, stayed with Houston.
Speaker 2: Is that was that organ?
Speaker 4: No, that was at San Fran.
Speaker 2: Oh, okay, I was.
Speaker 3: At San fram He called me. I was on a chairlift in Utah and I got the boys on either side of me, and Jen's back at the lodge and hello, and he's like, hey, I want you to I said, I don't have I don't have a single notebook. I got snowpants. As long as you don't care if I show up in snowpants.
Speaker 4: And a T shirt.
Speaker 3: He's like, just let's talk ball. So it was really the best way to do an interview. Everybody comes in with a presentation, a booklet and a book and a package and a PowerPoint.
Speaker 4: I rolled in there with a couple of bar napkins, a couple of notes.
Speaker 1: On a barn a bar napkin. Swear to God, that's awesome.
Speaker 3: Because I said, listen, I owe these kids at least the rest of this trip. It was like a to maybe two and a half day ski trip. And I said, I this is our first day, Like, I cannot come out there until these guys get on a plane back to Houston and then I'll fly to San Fran. And so they flew back after the trip, which was like two days. It was like Saturday, Sunday or whatever it was, and then I went out to San Franz. Didn't end up taking it. But my point is you just do the best job and the job that you have, and then usually people.
Speaker 4: Come find you.
Speaker 2: You do have a really good agent.
Speaker 4: Though we have the same agent, we have the same.
Speaker 1: Unfortunate you guys could both be CIA guys. Well, you for sure could be a CIA guy. I don't even know what a creative artist agency. It's the agency I'm with John Robinson.
Speaker 4: It's one of those Uber Uber agencies.
Speaker 1: We're just the best man.
Speaker 4: Who do you call? Who's in charge?
Speaker 1: Tom Condon? Baby, that's my guy?
Speaker 4: Guy is he? Yeah?
Speaker 1: He's the man. Pat's like my day to day.
Speaker 3: Pat's the guy that he has to get tough like under and then here do you go when Pat's not available?
Speaker 4: Who you call?
Speaker 1: I call Candice Rose? Yeh, that's what I called that.
Speaker 2: It Jathan Jonathan Hurst, no question.
Speaker 4: I never talked to him in my life. Really.
Speaker 2: That's what's.
Speaker 1: When you when when you started to get older and you started to realize like man, like I I I don't got it, Like I used to kid like what was that transition that was because I think to myself, I'm like, I'm sitting here, You're five, going into your six, and I'm thinking, like, technically, I'm you know, over the hill or on top of it, I guess. And then that decline starts, like for most people, right like ten, people start to show a little bit or even I.
Speaker 4: Mean, I think genetics has a lot to do with it, training and just a lot of luck. But honestly, it was Jen.
Speaker 3: We went out to San We went out to San Diego and I was with the Chiefs and they had Ryan Matthews. He was a rookie running back and I probably had eight missed tackles. I mean, I couldn't catch him. I couldn't tackle him when I could catch him. And I came back and I landed and I got home and it was late, and she was like, how much.
Speaker 4: Longer do you think you can do this?
Speaker 1: Jesus, that's tough.
Speaker 2: And I said, Jen, just being a realist, what year.
Speaker 1: Was this for you?
Speaker 3: Probably twenty ten? I think it was probably twenty ten. It was the year I retired. And I was like, I don't I go Was it that bad? She said, you just didn't look like you were. You looked when you were like twenty eight.
Speaker 4: I said, well, neither do you. But I'm not telling you to question.
Speaker 1: Oh man, she's never wants a porter and bustle with the boys too.
Speaker 4: She's a very bad But that was I mean, she was just like, how much longer? And I was like, I don't. She's like, I don't. You just don't look the same, and she was, you know, but she's seen I don't know.
Speaker 3: And now that I'm coaching, I mean she's seen probably four hundred NFL games, I mean whatever, eighteen years in the NFL, nineteen years in the NFL, twenty games a year, whatever it is.
Speaker 4: And she's seen plenty of games.
Speaker 1: It's got to be a kick in the dick. Though you're just like, well, like you, you have to know.
Speaker 3: I think that whole line to find somebody that that is honest with you, and that's a great I mean, she's she's an amazing wife. I think that it's not somebody that sits there and strokes you off and like, oh you're so good, you do everything perfect, and I mean it's honest. I mean there's when it's when it's bad. It's bad, and it's you know, hey, you know I come home now and she's like what what what?
Speaker 4: What was lawand doing? I said, I don't know, Jen, why don't you ask him?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we can definitely safe. There'll there'll be times like it's a week I have a weekly text for you during during the season. It's like it's like, hey, Monday and Monday will around, but hey, you know, decent job on this, work on that, and then a not could be better this week. Like it's always like you're constantly like running the train, man, you text everybody? That is it just between us?
Speaker 4: It's just between us?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I thought.
Speaker 2: Never texted besides he said hey, besides he was like, hey, great job on the skit that.
Speaker 3: We're still living the skit man the time that was that was one of the best. If we wanted to sign you that.
Speaker 4: Text, I did.
Speaker 2: I didn't.
Speaker 1: I've never had that group chat, that group chat. Did you think that was coming? So for everybody that's listening, like, Braves texted us a picture of his son and his buddy at a concert while it was during c m A fest and his buddy was wearing it for the boys.
Speaker 4: And then his buddy and his buddy Center.
Speaker 1: And then me and Will are together. We're at the house hanging out, and we just start killing like not really me, it was really Will started like photo shopping suck Ups your face on suck Up's body, the three of us laughing.
Speaker 4: Remember when I immediately regret including Will.
Speaker 2: I was like, he's for the boys, and and you sent the picture of you pointing at Riley Bulow. You're like, is he really for the boys? And then I propped the picture of Rabel's head on suck Up's body when we're walking to the plane.
Speaker 1: You also, yeah, you also the picture of you and him during the Miami Yeah, I remember remember laughing together.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I said, remember these days. That's so, he said.
Speaker 1: I immediately regret texting you guys, what is that is so funny that you're able to zoom in on that Pepe?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Oh dude, that was that is funny.
Speaker 4: But how's this thing been going? I mean, how's the reviews? I mean I have I apologized, I haven't listened to one episode. Well that Apple is it on Apple or it's on everything? It is? It's on Spotify yep.
Speaker 1: Yep, okay, you pop it on the way.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm gonna get in that RV tomorrow and uh, I will listen to Arthur's amazing dude.
Speaker 2: Arthur's a solid one that so I caught that.
Speaker 4: So gentlemen, to listen to that Live and Die in l A if you heard that podcast.
Speaker 3: No, right, So this is like this crime so a big pots well she has been lately, but it's like a true crime thing and this girl get just check it out on Spotify.
Speaker 1: We'll check it out.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's like the number two. It's fifteen million people. It's probably fifteen million more than listen to your podcast.
Speaker 1: Fourteen point nine.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pull it up to Live and Die. I don't need to see busting with the boys. Do I get a T shirt or what?
Speaker 1: We'll get your T shirt? Yeah, you get a T shirt. We'll get your T shirt? Right, got you that.
Speaker 4: Staying on it like yours?
Speaker 1: This was at that's a sweat mark a sweat man. I'm a sweater.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the red was happening there, it is, right, check it out.
Speaker 1: What's up on Live and Die? Which one did you say if it was about murder mystery or what?
Speaker 2: Yees?
Speaker 3: So it's it's like a true crime deal and the guy takes you through. He's like a writer for the Rolling Stone magazine and he does this like interview. He works with this like private investigator because the l a p. D just basically they just closed the case and they're like, yeah, whatever, we can't figure out who did it? Oh No, This dude like goes on this like man hunt.
Speaker 2: Yeah did Jens? A podcaster shout out Jen for being a fan of Busting with the Boys.
Speaker 4: Do you know what? I don't think fantas here's something.
Speaker 2: You said.
Speaker 4: She listened to make you feel good and make you guys feel good.
Speaker 1: Do you do you ever watch like that?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: Did you see the Ted Bundy film on Netflix?
Speaker 4: Yep?
Speaker 1: That ship was wild?
Speaker 4: It was whack I do uh ye?
Speaker 2: Which the tapes of the movie.
Speaker 1: I even listened to all the tapes one but the video of uh Zach Effron playing him.
Speaker 2: It's crazy.
Speaker 1: He's like to the very end is like, I didn't do it. I didn't do it. And at the end of the at the end of it, writes hacksaw on like that the smoked up stuff or whatever. The steam that's crazy. They say that you walk by like ten serial killers in your life, like you just by just walking by people any think about that Verbes, but just walking by serial What the hell is that? Welcome to the Bust with the boys.
Speaker 4: I wondered, like this.
Speaker 3: Whole thing with like the feanyl and stuff going around last year. It was like two weeks ago or whatever, like we're thirty people odd or something.
Speaker 1: So they put the dust in's in like cocaine.
Speaker 4: Right, you've been in Nashville where Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Oh we sent that out on TeamWorks.
Speaker 1: Did you send it TeamWorks?
Speaker 4: Yeah, we sent it out in TeamWorks.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, dude, So you gotta you gotta you gotta defend yourself?
Speaker 3: What what?
Speaker 4: What am I?
Speaker 1: He's my boss, you know. I honestly I tried. I try to throw you off a little bit. I try to throw you off a little bit. It's forever. Number should everybody I should.
Speaker 2: Have interrupting, you're interrupting.
Speaker 1: Will come on, dude, he's for the fences right now. I don't even know what I was gonna talking about. You didn't get out of here. I don't know what I was gonna say. Yeah, there's like people that's like a big thing right now. People they put like that's like a powder that they put in like cocaine and stuff.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because they said, you like, cut it up. But what is it gonna do? Is it because it is like a better high or is it just gonna kill people? No?
Speaker 1: It legit is like that's like a terrorist thing. Like it kills people.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: It actually has nothing to do because they said they were putting it in a weed and they're putting it in the meth and cocaine and that's wild.
Speaker 1: It just kills people like it Like yeah, well, I mean when you snort something your brain, that cavity goes up to your brain. That's what makes you high. When fetanol hits it like it must shut something down the brain. I don't know the science.
Speaker 3: Literally, I have no idea other than Jen sent me something and I went down to Chick and I was like, dude, there's like thirty people that have died in a week in Nashville and they think it's because of the fetanyl. They've odd, yeah, damn right there, we're gonna get tight Nashville fetanyl it.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, but you can cut it with baking stutter right or baby wanted to kill somebody to make it cheaper, right, That's that's what Michael Jackson died of fintan all over these like those deaths in Nashville.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had no idea. I didn't you know it.
Speaker 4: Living it will big.
Speaker 2: Just live in the bus. We gotta band and come back to the bus. That's hey, Taylor, come over and do a podcast.
Speaker 1: I can't today.
Speaker 4: The wind does this run? When does this go?
Speaker 2: Years ago? We'll have Roman next week? Ye well, Roman, you'll see next week and then you'll be on after that.
Speaker 1: Great we I gotta be honest with you. I'm very impressed. How you how you answer? I tried. I thought to myself, I gotta rattle you from the get go, ask you the jerk off questions and there losing your and you handled it.
Speaker 4: I don't.
Speaker 2: I don't know why you keep it.
Speaker 1: You're built for it, the media stuff. But the thing is, you can't guys. Every day you guys, but we're not those guys.
Speaker 3: I talked to these guys from the day that training camp starts until the season, every single day. I mean I talked to them more than I talked to my wife and kids.
Speaker 1: Think about that, who's your least favorite one.
Speaker 3: Well, the easy answer would be to Hirsky, Yeah, well I love Yeah, he did tell me I was I did his podcast the Yeah, who cares, I no question. But he'll immediately when this airs, I'll get a text It'll be like, oh you said my name wrong.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He texted me like yesterday like when a you' you gonna come on my podcast? I was like fifth of never, dude, I don't know. You know what I do?
Speaker 4: They all I have to respect. They all have a job to do.
Speaker 3: They do, And I think that the biggest thing that I'll say about our media is that when I did that polar plunge for Special Olympics in February or March whatever it was down at the stadium, jumped.
Speaker 4: In this big ass tub of ice water, do you backflip? I did that, and so.
Speaker 3: It caught on and I was like somebody was joking on Twitter, and I was like, yeah, if Kersky come down there and I'll drown him in the water, see if he can how long he can hold his breath. And then next thing I know, we got like we got like ten or twelve people from the media all joined up and raised money to help They all jump with me or after me with the kind of the raised money for special Olympics.
Speaker 4: So we do have great These guys are on fire.
Speaker 1: Dude, that's Zach in the back. Dude, he handles of stuff.
Speaker 2: I love how you got exactly what you wear a practice, that's a squad meeting.
Speaker 1: That's exactly what you wear every single day. Got your vest. Look at the boy two inches away from just literally being a coma.
Speaker 3: For that was So I jumped with the two Olympians and my legs are like frozen and then they're like backflip and I'm like, I can't feel my legs.
Speaker 4: I just are jumped in and I climbed out.
Speaker 3: They have like the paramedic. You see the dude the ParaMed that's a paramedic in case somebody like goes in.
Speaker 1: The red that's already in the water.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's Zach. That's Zach.
Speaker 1: Who go back, go back, look at you kind of feeling yourself.
Speaker 2: Go back, pause it. There's Zach right there on the left, a little kid.
Speaker 1: Great job coach of Abel.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, so how did this idea? German eight?
Speaker 1: Last year when we were here, it was literally I think the first conversation was we should start a pod ass and the next conversation was, you know you do'll be cool. It's like a Hunger Games thing with the team, and yeah, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 2: Literally, it was like Taylor was talking about, didn't do it.
Speaker 4: We didn't do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we didn't do it.
Speaker 4: Hey, whoop, we didn't do that this year.
Speaker 2: Hey yeah, I know you should have. That was actually that was a fun little gig it kind of it. Yeah, Taylor was telling you about the lion King deal and you're like shutting it down. And then that's when we're like, yeah, we need to wait, that might be a thing.
Speaker 1: I have a couple of ideas that I want to run by. Actually, we'll get the podcast.
Speaker 5: I have.
Speaker 1: I have a question about a different thing that that you might be interested in. Pred's Preds Titans at the Sound Stadium slope a softball game. Beautiful talking about tigs.
Speaker 2: Love on. That's the first thing to say, kegs.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, we'll have kegs in the side. It's like a fun thing. Bags for it. You'll be into that. You joined that idea, All right, I'm running that by Butch.
Speaker 4: We're getting that going could be great money.
Speaker 1: What's that I'll play for the Titan. You that's what you can up. Yeah, you can definitely op. That'd be awesome. You could be the the.
Speaker 2: Slow yeah he goes, He goes, We'll let you, We'll let you, will go.
Speaker 4: He said the same thing. Taylor said, yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's pretty awesome for you.
Speaker 2: No, but we we would do that, We would like you know, you know how it is when you're in the song with everybody and just kind of all the locker room stuff that goes on. And then guys were like, yeah, you should do a podcast.
Speaker 4: Oh other guys said that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and you haven't listened to one though, So yeah, you haven't listened to one and you haven't you know, you don't really come in the locker room.
Speaker 4: Nope, you said yes for the players.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you said you sit in the cafeter you know, all the conversations going on.
Speaker 4: You have you seen a new cafter it's almost finished. It looks amazing.
Speaker 1: Is it awesome? It looks what's the deal with the food that's gonna be in though? Because it can look great, we'll bring in we'll talk about later. Twenty fifth yeah, yeah, yeah, twenty July. Hey, yeah, there is some people here. We don't want to know about.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'll be texting Jim, Hey, can I get a pass for the practice?
Speaker 1: Would you let will come with the boys to do a plot on the You can put them on the fan friends of family list. You can do that, Dude. Will defend yourself.
Speaker 2: Dude, what comeback is there to have?
Speaker 1: Have you seen Monty Python The Holy Grail? No, okay, that's the worst thing you've done so far. But there's a scene where the guy gets his limbs cut off and he's still trying to fight, and that's you right now. Have you seen it? Everybody's seen that movie. You have you seen Animal House?
Speaker 4: Monty's are a y right there?
Speaker 1: You go look at dude, Zach is so on top of it. They have like these guys. These guys are riding horses, but they're just like clicking like coconuts together.
Speaker 4: It's like a naked gun.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's well you've probably not seen naked gun either. Huh. It's like airplane. I know, well, it's a we're I'm like.
Speaker 4: That podcast.
Speaker 3: I'm finowing everybody is that you've seen Monty Python The Holy Grail or Naked Gun or airplane?
Speaker 1: These are the guys see the guy behind him. So this guy's pretending to ride a horse and the guy behind him, so that it sounds great, guys, like a great movie. Actually, you've never seen Robin hood men Entice. Have you seen that?
Speaker 4: No will we did? We didn't cover this at our breakfast last year. That that recruiting meeting we had. I was basically recruiting you remember that breakfast.
Speaker 2: That was what hotels?
Speaker 4: That was that Renaissance super eight. We only used that one for the for the later later.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we put you in the superade.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it wasn't a super a Broadway. Now we're at the No and you're not the Talks.
Speaker 2: Rabel and we had a nice little breakfast. He took me around town really just talking to me about what goes on on Broadway.
Speaker 1: See, I don't know if I can handle like a drive with you.
Speaker 4: Why dude.
Speaker 2: It was honestly, he tricked me. He fooled me from the get go.
Speaker 4: So you oh, yeah, I was anything other than what I was.
Speaker 1: I was like, uh, you know what the problem is is, you're really aggressive. We're very You and I are very similar.
Speaker 4: I could see that.
Speaker 1: But the thing is you're my boss.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: Ye Am I your fair.
Speaker 4: Player you've ever coached? Probably yeah, I would say in the middle area.
Speaker 1: Probably not for Will, but that that was Will. But never talking about me.
Speaker 3: No, every time you break the huddle and I'm like, get your ass to quit, walk in the line.
Speaker 1: Hey, but hey, hey, let me get somewhere. The dogs go to the pound, my baby, I thought in.
Speaker 2: I hear all about it. He goes, Hey, Will Man, you should have saw me today me break down the hunt.
Speaker 1: That's not true.
Speaker 2: That's very true. Hey, I've been all my leaders stuff like puppy.
Speaker 1: Hey, that's not true. Actually it's true, I would say, And leadership has grown this year.
Speaker 4: It has been more than evident. Love that hey, more than evident.
Speaker 1: I know what I was last year, and it was me now I'm fixing it.
Speaker 2: It was like transitional.
Speaker 1: It wasn't transitional. It was me thinking I was better than I actually was nothing more.
Speaker 4: We talk all the time.
Speaker 3: Wait, and it was funny because he's like, they walked by my office and I'm like Taylor, and he's like, I'm like, it's not every time you come in here.
Speaker 4: It's not like I'm not.
Speaker 3: Sometimes sometimes it is bad, but then I try to say, hey, this is when this is what we're doing good. And it's been more than evident as far as just being positive leader, getting guys going, what.
Speaker 2: Do you think you're hey, I see you.
Speaker 4: Got you up out of hey.
Speaker 1: Uh you already said, oh my dude, But I'm telling you we've actually had that conversation. I was like, because because of you. Yeah, he was. I told Will when we met.
Speaker 2: Not enjoyed not enjoying this anymore. Boys, all my close.
Speaker 1: Friends and the team that I get really like tight with either get cut or injured metten Berger camp and narrow you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not really sure what to say.
Speaker 1: I don't know what to say either.
Speaker 2: So you're you're going from you're one to two as a as a head coach. That's what I wanted transition to four years. When to take a little minute, what do you think your big biggest changes are as a head coach from you're one to two.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to just be more consistent, and I don't know if I am. I'm trying to be more consistent and hopes that it carries over to the players and to the meetings and to the field. I mean, one week we're here, we're beating the Super Bowl champions, We're beating teams that make the playoffs, that are winning playoff games, and then you know, the next week or a few weeks later, we're not at our best. And so I got to figure out how we we get and stay at this level weekend and week out. So I think that it starts with consistency. I think that, and I think we pulled back. We try to change the schedule a little bit, no tas. I don't think we needed to run as many team reps as as we ran last year because we're putting in two new systems, and I felt like it was important that we got a lot of work at that and I based on what I saw, I thought we had a productive spring and a healthy spring, which is most important. So we change the schedule a little bit, and so you know, we'll try to do that.
Speaker 4: In training camp as well.
Speaker 3: I think I think I know where some of the road bumps are, where some of the speed bumps are, and I can try to avoid them. Not that you know distractions are going to happen, it's just how we handle them. But I think some of these things that come up, I was like, oh yeah, I remember that happened last year? Like whatever, like we'll just do this instead of what we did last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and when you say try to be more consistent, you hope? Uh what like where where would you find kind of those?
Speaker 3: Just continue to continue the message, you know, how do I allow guys to make mistakes? I think that's that's critical continuing to think about that is how do I let guys?
Speaker 4: How do our coaches?
Speaker 3: How do I let guys make mistakes as opposed to just immediately correcting on them.
Speaker 4: It's like, hey, what happened? What you see?
Speaker 3: And and a lot of that is time sensitive. It's you don't have a whole lot of time. But if you can allow the guys to make mistakes and and and ask them, hey, if they don't know, then then you got to fix it and you got to teach them. But if they know, they're like exactly like oy, I got the second widest and I got buried down on the guard and or a guy buried down on the tackle and the end spiked inside. Well, then he knows that he just has to fix it and go on. We don't have to sit there and teach our protection over again.
Speaker 1: I have actually a question that I care about.
Speaker 4: I know that's half an interruption. So when you say questions, are your fans.
Speaker 1: So we we put out something that hey, we're having you on allnight, so people are gonna tweet us and got youa question you'll probably see on Twitter when you open it up next. Yeah, you can retweet something if you want. Follow us with the buss. When you guys go through cuts and after that fourth preseason game, what like is it just you and John let's say said, or is it the whole coaching staff and like you guys set down in those last three four will confidents like what do you guys do? Do you guys like to say?
Speaker 4: Like that is a great question.
Speaker 3: So there's always input from John Staff, who is the scouting department and the coaching staff, and I try to do my best to represent them, and ultimately we have meetings, you know, and John and I listen to what the coaches say as far as it relates to personnel. But at the end of the day, it's John and I that have conversations and we are going to make the decisions.
Speaker 4: And you know, I'm lucky to be included on that.
Speaker 3: He's got the final say, but I would say that we, you know, find a way to come to an agreement.
Speaker 1: So if you have like two guys in the fringe, Let's say, like me and Jack Conklin were on the fringe, like we're playing the same blah blah blah, like it's really similar, and you're like, we got to get rid of one of these guys. Would you have like someone like Keith come in and be like kind of like that that that breaker vote like you and John, You and John are split, and Keith say, well, this guy's attitude or this guy's work ethic those types.
Speaker 4: Of things, Well, I think that he would. I don't think we would necessarily.
Speaker 3: Have someone else, whether it be the position coach or a scout break any tie, but what we would try to do is look for special teams, value, versatility, Can this guy play another position?
Speaker 4: How is this guy in the locker room. I'm just trying to look at.
Speaker 3: Examples that you could use to to differ and shaate two players that are that are very similar. And I'm sure that money would even play a part in it, you know, when you got down to you know, the sixth, fifth or sixth tiebreaker as far as with the player or is. I mean, this's got to be that we're talking about the fifty third guy on the roster, because if we're having this a heart of conversation for these two guys, maybe these two guys are better than someone else. And so you, yeah, you're saying, like, if these guys are so similar, they're probably better than someone else. And you got to keep the best the right fifty three and so you have to manufacture and maneuver things around.
Speaker 2: I got you.
Speaker 4: Does this guy have practice squad eligibility? Does this guy not? You know, I think there's a lot more that goes into it.
Speaker 1: I had one more, but I forget already.
Speaker 2: When you're looking at these stats, yep, which category like which it's probably tuddy, but which stat stands out like them? Not not in total? Like one play? Which stat are you looking at here?
Speaker 5: That it was the most memorab of that which my rookie year, oh really rookie year playoff game against the Patriots, stripsack drew Bledsoe in a two.
Speaker 4: Minute drill at the end of the game. We won seven three to go to the issue left right tackle. That's Bruce Armstrong, left tackle.
Speaker 1: That's impressive.
Speaker 2: Did that it's solid.
Speaker 1: So stats here for anybody listening and can't see this paper tackle seventy four?
Speaker 3: Do we really think that seventy four? Do we think that's that's seven four hundred and sixty three? See how that line like cuts it off.
Speaker 2: I think it's seventy four.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I see that. That's definitely that's there's a little line there.
Speaker 3: And they count quarterbacks sacks, tackle and I had fifty seven of those.
Speaker 1: How'd you fit? Yeah? Well, okay, anyway, anyway, stats quarterback sacks, fifty seven interceptions, he had eleven force almost he's talking oops, squad meeting for force Sewan, write this down forced fumbles nineteen receptions, ten touchdowns ten. Now, one thing I do want to talk about when you talk about consistency, I've seen how you've shown consistency in our meeting rooms, because when we go to squad meetings, I feel like I get a question every single time we had a squad meeting. I don't know what I'm three rows back.
Speaker 4: In them right in the middle. It's the middle, you do, it's the middle?
Speaker 1: Is but is it though? Because you got Jon still get them gets It's uh, it's it's KB. It's KD to be like, am I right? KB? And then it's it's it's for questions meeting. I'll tell you what you do do? Though, is you get Ben Jones two to three times a year with staring at staring at flies man. You're like, hey Ben, what yeah, what about this? He's like, uh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, super smart center guy, Like he assumes like I'm not going to ask him yeah, and he's just.
Speaker 1: Just in mouth open swallowing bugs.
Speaker 2: Dude, dude, you get tight man when when Brave calls on you, I tell you what there?
Speaker 1: What we did do is from my first year to now, probably the most stressed I am during the season is walking to the squad meetings. Love it because I'm like, I'm like on edge because the thing is because you know him. It's like, Hey Taylor, we blah blah blah blah. Question. Now that's okay, We'll find a different left tackle if you can't answer that one, Like let's let's go conkling. But you know what I'm saying, that one down, John, make sure we write that down. Find me a guy like this guy, not that guy who can't answer questions.
Speaker 2: It's solid going into squad beings. I would act. It wouldn't be that because I'd be like last so I always like would see him just on coffee.
Speaker 4: And plus you were taking notes and you want to be a coach and you will be a coach, and.
Speaker 2: You were I appreciate that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that was part of our breakfast. Breakfast, you do want to be a coach some day?
Speaker 1: Possibly? Would you? Like, what's what's the end game for you like this, Like.
Speaker 3: Oh, buddy, I gotta find a way to try to start and enjoin life that's got so much stress. Just it's hard to turn off man, like these next couple of weeks, Like yeah, I know we're gonna go on vacation and watch baseball, but it's just you know, having a switch to be like with the family and Carter's friends, and it's not just like.
Speaker 2: And not just sitting in a lot like a chair just thing.
Speaker 1: Ryan, you go look at that and say, Okay, I can do this all day and.
Speaker 4: I enjoy it. I I enjoy it.
Speaker 3: But there's still time where it's like I'll be thinking about what we're gonna do and how we're gonna practice, or what Cleveland's gonna do, or what Indie's gonna do or Jacksonville or Houston.
Speaker 1: Or it's natural. It's natural for you and us to be football players.
Speaker 4: Sure, it's all we know it.
Speaker 1: For me, I'll have a two year old daughter and I'm like, it's that is harder for me to do naturally than to be to go and play football.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, But you know, I've seen you whether and you know you love your girls and that's the most important thing in your life.
Speaker 4: It has to be.
Speaker 3: And I think that I hope that the team and that football is is a very close second. I try to do the same way, and so fully you have to find something like, guys, you're gonna gonna play and you're not gonna need to work, but but you're gonna need to work financially. You're not gonna have to work, but you're gonna need to work for some sanity and give you a reason to get up every morning and go do something that that you love and that that you can compete at or you know that that that you don't have to just sit there and your your kids are gonna be in school and they're gonna you know, what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: So this this was something that got me up and you know, kept me motivated and kept me, you know, trying to compete, whether it being recruiting or game planning or whatever it is.
Speaker 1: If you are looking for ways to you know, enjoy life a little bit more. You're doing a great job with that mustache.
Speaker 4: Thank you. What getting mixed reviews.
Speaker 1: But I think it's grown, don't say, John.
Speaker 4: I think it's growing on her.
Speaker 3: Yeah, probably like I did in college where she was scared to death of me for for two months and then she finally came around.
Speaker 1: I proposed the tailing in five weeks. That way, she didn have a chance to figure out this guy going mind, This guy's a psychopath.
Speaker 4: Guy's nuts.
Speaker 1: I love it, though. What made you do it though?
Speaker 4: Just to change up?
Speaker 1: Or did we Like when we met I had a mustache and you didn't, and now you have a mustache? Does that like?
Speaker 3: I don't remember that meeting when I thought about the mustache, but it was the season was over.
Speaker 4: I'd had the beard since god knows how long, and UH wanted to change it up.
Speaker 1: Looks good.
Speaker 3: I like it.
Speaker 1: You got the tickler or what you anything right there?
Speaker 2: Little soul, little something? Though?
Speaker 1: That's a total preference point, is it?
Speaker 2: That's like a little a little soap patch, a little bit just added it, you know.
Speaker 4: I just it's too barrel and every shaved down, so we'll see. I don't know. God, you guys got the ink you got, you got you got ink?
Speaker 1: No no ink, Nope, you got anything none. Would you ever get a tattoo?
Speaker 4: No way past that.
Speaker 1: If we win a super Bowl and I'm playing for you, still we get my name tattoed in yourybody?
Speaker 4: Your name?
Speaker 1: No, what would you do?
Speaker 4: Uh? I would do something if you wanted to make a bed.
Speaker 1: Matt Neely, Yeah, he's taking his head. Matt Neely said he would cut off his dick for a super Bowl, for a you know, super Bowl, And I I said, and I have no problem saying no, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 2: Would you cut your dick off for a super Bowl?
Speaker 4: No? Been married twenty years? Yeah? Probably you've got three as a player. I guess he'll be married for twenty years one day.
Speaker 1: Would you if if if you came home, if you came home holding a bag of ice? And Jay was like, oh, honey, would you do it? I thought you already got fixedly, I had to cut my dick off, honey, We're gonna win a Super Bowl. She'd be like all right, or would she be upset?
Speaker 2: She'd probably be on board.
Speaker 4: She would be like, do you want me to do it? Do you want to do it now?
Speaker 1: Do you want to do it now?
Speaker 2: I made the ultimate.
Speaker 1: She's like warming up a knife in the fire, getting ready to go and uh.
Speaker 4: This one uh is for Vyble.
Speaker 3: It says what characteristics and Marcus, Maria, do you also see in Tom Brady.
Speaker 4: Competitiveness? You know?
Speaker 3: I think the one thing we talked about with Marcus in the off season was as he goes into this second year in this scheme, is to have a much better presence. And I think that as you're learning the offense for the first time like he has in the previous four years, you know, it's hard to have complete command of the offense. And I think that he showed that in the spring as an understanding and being able to tell guys, hey, this.
Speaker 4: Is what you have. If guys look at him with that look like I'm not really sure what.
Speaker 3: I have, he's telling them. You know, he's getting the alignment's right, He's able to handle the pressures, the protections, and so I think that there was a much better presence this year going through the spring. So do you guys notice like the first couple of weeks, like they were like making articles up after people came on here, and people.
Speaker 4: Were like quoting everybody.
Speaker 3: Remember I had that conversation about the podcast how we can sit here and talk for an hour over long I have to sit here and talk and then they write an article about it, and they use everything that I'm I have said and will say as as quotes, like they asked me a question and they've never, you know, will never have asked me those questions. But they're going to write an article about it because of being here. And I and I do think that that's lazy reporting. I think that's lazy. You know this this is this is something different. But I'd guarantee you this week when I'm gone, there will be.
Speaker 4: Articles, no question around it.
Speaker 1: But that's just me and it's done. It's easy that.
Speaker 4: Way, Taylor, Yeah, it would, you will.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 1: I was trying to think, Yeah, that is a bummer though, that you can't just say what you want, like you can't just like go about your business and.
Speaker 3: I and I say and I tried to shut it down you know. I mean, I stood up in front of the team. I was like, this is stupid. You guys should be doing.
Speaker 4: Podcasts, just very there's no way very sportive that I said.
Speaker 3: Listen, man, you go to have a blast, but understand why they're gonna wrap an hour conversation. You're gonna wrap quotation marks around it. Yeah, and they're gonna try to fit whatever narrative they want to fit.
Speaker 1: And I was like, the boys, you could I could tell while you were doing that meeting you were trying to put it around, like how do I not say this is Taylor's podcast with will you Know? You were like, hey, listen, there's things out and then you and I locked eyes, like Taylor and will a podcast.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I think that it's it's something you guys have to be able to do stuff outside of football, Like you have to have things that you guys enjoy doing, having a good time. I like the fact that you had teammates on. I like the fact that you had Arthur on. I mean, so and hopefully that guys, will you Know come on to I mean, I don't know what the plans are during the season.
Speaker 4: If you do, you any sponsors, not yet than Taylor. Yeah, oh my god, you knew Daddy was coming on tonight.
Speaker 1: Boy, dude, I'll tell you what.
Speaker 2: I'm glad. I'm glad. I'm glad.
Speaker 1: I was sitting there and I was as you can go now, thank you. Say what you want about Will and who he is as a person and as a player, but don't take the dad thing from me.
Speaker 2: I love you get to come on and call himself dad like his real dad sitting in the count right now.
Speaker 3: First off, when he signed, after he signed that contract, and I wanted to try to take that phone he was on, and I tried to shove it right up his ass when he's run out to practice, and I was like, Daddy, I'm daddy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what a great Taylor look at me and he is my dad? You I remember the bag you dude, don't admit that he's like he is though, Okay, let's go.
Speaker 1: You do you want to. I'll tell you what I remember when I when I signed my contract and I was sitting there and I was just getting ready as business, business as usual, getting my clear it's I'm getting ready to go, and you came over to me and you whispered and you said you're my favorite player of all time. You better and he said, he said, Hey, don't tell any of the guys this, but you're my favorite player of all time. And I just your presence being around you.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 1: And I'm so happy you signed this contract, and God willing, I'm gonna get you a third if I can. And I said, and I said, and I said, hey, Rames, I got to get out the practice, dude. I got work to do. And you said, can you just stay a little bit longer?
Speaker 3: I said, you better block your guy every single play, and in order to pay you, you better block him every single play.
Speaker 4: Drew the whistle.
Speaker 1: And you know what the worst part is? We played we practice Tampa and JPP like beat me in a play and you send for the team like we're paying this guy how much? And I was sitting there like, yo, dude, I'm exposed right now, Like is it? I was like, is it worth it? And then I I was like, yeah, it's definitely worth it.
Speaker 3: I was brought up in a I was brought up in a system where where every player, and including the best players, were held the most accountable.
Speaker 1: I get it.
Speaker 4: That's how I was. I don't know if it's right or wrong. But that's all I know.
Speaker 1: I'd rather you say you get on me about stuff like that, then I give up a sack and be like, well, yeah, you know, well he's doing the best he can.
Speaker 3: Or there's some coaches I've had where you'll mess up, or I'll player mess up and they'll sit there and they'll bitch out.
Speaker 4: The backup like it wasn't the backup's fault. It was it was the starter. It was the guy that we're paying to do his job. Don't don't yell at the backup like that's the why he's a backup.
Speaker 1: Like that's why he's the backup. That's why he's the backup. Pro football, fellows, Come on now, figure it out.
Speaker 2: Guys coming close, break this huddle down closer. It's pro football.
Speaker 1: Have you.
Speaker 2: Think getting your close.
Speaker 3: Like it's I don't want to yell like never said that when I say bring it in here, closer, I don't say it.
Speaker 1: Dude, you're that was like, that was like one of my favorite done that you like, like the other have you seen the other guys when the guys all right, guys bringing it bring it stop? A couple of SIPs back and then bring it at a little fart'll bring it in that. That's you. But you got to run it, man, you gotta do your thing.
Speaker 4: At least you guys are paying attention. Yeah, you make fun of it.
Speaker 2: That's what you say when you play.
Speaker 4: You have to play the skid. At least.
Speaker 2: I don't have the footage.
Speaker 1: You don't have it.
Speaker 2: I never recorded it. The other Yeah, we gotta, we do.
Speaker 1: Gotta as a video guy, I for your one.
Speaker 4: It'd be like a party. It'd be like a parting gift. We'll send it to you in a fruit basket.
Speaker 1: On Nuly twenty five.
Speaker 2: Hey, remember when you let our team in special teams tackles and I deactivated you for a game with six and a half.
Speaker 4: What'd you have? Seven?
Speaker 2: No, I was in double digits.
Speaker 4: Brett punts it out of bounds. Everything I could cover. Brett's kicks.
Speaker 1: Brett can boom that ball and.
Speaker 4: It's out of bounds. It's like fifty yards out of bounds.
Speaker 2: Just closest guy to the guy that goes out of balanced it.
Speaker 4: I got them.
Speaker 1: I got them. Does that count?
Speaker 2: No it doesn't, No, it does, Oh yeah it counts.
Speaker 1: Put me on special teams?
Speaker 2: Did you would never cover a punt.
Speaker 1: I'm faster than you. No, you're not rape, sell me up. So your answer, guess what we.
Speaker 4: Can get the Hammammy's good.
Speaker 2: Hey, I'm rape. I'm in my prime, brother, I'm ready to go. Like you said, like comes a little smul set.
Speaker 4: The boy is staying in shirts because the shirts so tight.
Speaker 2: You know, I had to wear ash medium I I do.
Speaker 3: That's the one thing about punt team. I sit in there and I try to tell these guys, I said you, it's so hard to be an They're an offensive lineman and then they have to turn into a linebacker a safety like the skill set. So I'm like, why don't we have our offensive line coach like teach the protection part of it, like the kick slide and everything else.
Speaker 4: Because that's why that is true.
Speaker 1: That funny that is true that you didn't answer. Yeah, he thinks faster may well, like I know how far.
Speaker 2: The fact that it doesn't matter about it too. Yeah, it's really bothered me. I can't wait to get on the field tomorrow and.
Speaker 3: We have I would I will say that if it's over fifty yards, I would say, la wan, Okay, Well, guess what i'll have I think we'll get you.
Speaker 1: Really, that's interesting. I thought it. I thought it'd be the opposite.
Speaker 4: I think you get him in the in the longer.
Speaker 1: You think my top end is higher than his short stubby there.
Speaker 2: They Hey, they got a.
Speaker 1: Little barn.
Speaker 2: These try hard.
Speaker 1: Laths been really fast. He stays in the same spot. That's you.
Speaker 4: I can't tell you how shown the play against the Eagles, though, which one? Yeah, the slice is a slice.
Speaker 2: I should have picked that.
Speaker 4: Off, but I meant it's a teach tape. It's a teach tape. Banjo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. My favorite part about that play was Coach Piece's reaction in the locker room after the game. Him, just, I just love coach ps. I think I think he's a stud. Talk about him for a second.
Speaker 4: You see the punt that he Yeah, I was just I.
Speaker 2: Grabbed it off Twitter. I saw that the Tides tweeted and I sent it to him. I'm like, yo, look at you out there moving around.
Speaker 4: I mean it looked like he caught a thousand punds.
Speaker 2: I mean it was just he changed direction too.
Speaker 4: Fingertips boom spike.
Speaker 1: I wish we had a film of Arthur Smith. We put that out there the back pedal. No, he they had number one rule of of catching a punt, never step forward first because you can always win fast coming in and then the center field dude, everybody plays it at one point the figure it out.
Speaker 3: So the Dean is uh, And it was just awesome. And the reason I let off with that is the reaction from the players. I mean, I thought they picked him up and I thought they were gonna drop him and break his head.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I thought something was gonna happen to him, man.
Speaker 4: I mean, they hold him up in the air.
Speaker 3: I mean, but the excitement that the players uh genuinely had for for Dean. They love him, they care about him. I know that they play hard. Obviously, you guys played hard for him. They will play hard for him.
Speaker 4: He's a great teacher, and you know it's not easy.
Speaker 3: You know, I got a lot of ideas and there's a lot of things that I want to try to do, and he, you know, he wants to combine with what he's done, and so that's always a good conversation that we have and a great dynamic. And you know, this job would be difficult, you know, if Dean wasn't part of this it was one of the first guys I called, and he was my coordinator in New England, and you know, obviously we had a respect for him and the guys in Baltimore. I mean, he's coached numerous Hall of Fame players And again last year, ray Lewis went in and he sheepishly came and asked me could he go to the induction centremon I'm like, are you kidding me? Like, We'll get you a flight, we'll get you back, get you wherever you need to get to. And it was like during camp and again Ed Reid's going in this year and Ed Reid invited him and he came back and He's like, you know you think I can And I'm like, yes, of.
Speaker 4: Course you can't.
Speaker 3: Like any of our coaches coach Hall of famers, And they asked him to come. You can have the day off during training camp to go be with a player that you coaches going to the Hall of Fame.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he was going to retire after his Baltimore he was and you got you got the old boy to come back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's recruiting.
Speaker 2: Was that was it was it really hard getting him to come back.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I think that he had set his mind up and that him and Mel they have you know, they have a vacation home or a retirement home that they enjoy spending time at.
Speaker 4: And I think that he was going to do a lot of that and and go spend time with his wife.
Speaker 3: And then you know, after, you know, I probably was a weak conversation or dialogue that we had, and then you know, he made the commitment to join us, and I'm glad that he is.
Speaker 1: Braves.
Speaker 2: Hang on one question, It's a fun one. Would you rather yes? So would you rather question?
Speaker 4: All right, answer this question or leave? Leave?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: Would you rather? Okay, we got to go back a little bit because picture yourself rookie year you imagine then yeah, okay.
Speaker 4: Your mom and Gin bad shape?
Speaker 2: Okay, you follow me a little bit.
Speaker 4: I'm there.
Speaker 2: You either have would you rather have sex with Gin with your mom's subconscious or your mom with Gin subconscious, with Jen with Jin's body, but your mom's brain, your mom's weren't experiencing it?
Speaker 1: Say oh, Michael, Michael, don't grab me.
Speaker 4: So I don't even I mean that that, I guess is a decent question. I'm not really sure. I'm gonna end up having sex with my wife the body.
Speaker 2: Hey, you're not You're not wrong. I chose to.
Speaker 3: She was the girlfriend too, Yeah, you're in college when we went home with a couple, you know, friends and their girlfriends to back home too my parents house, and we had gone out, and so we were arguing.
Speaker 4: Janiar arguing is one of those like two in the morning arguments, and she was like sitting on my lap, like crying, and like she's like why, and I.
Speaker 3: Was like, you know, we're fine, and so my dad like walks out and then he's like it makes a you turn and he like goes back and she's like, oh my god, I think your dad thinks we're having sex.
Speaker 4: And I'm like, no, I don't think. So the next morning he's like and I was like, no, we weren't. It was like no way fully clothed. It was just like how it looked at two in the morning, and usually she was petrified.
Speaker 3: That's all in the family room, like on like a like an automate, And that's where I thought, you this was going, Like you know, I was gonna go to like in your parents' house.
Speaker 4: Or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, no, I went weird on left field.
Speaker 4: Okay, boys, I appreciate it, man,