Speaker 1: You're listening to Comedy Central.
Speaker 2: It's groundhog Day, yea? And also, what the hell is groundhog Day? This is such a strange thing to explain to anyone who doesn't live here.
Speaker 3: People pull a rodents out of the ground and then ask the animal to predict the weather. You know what? This is so unfair because if Africans were doing this shit and you heard that we pulled animals.
Speaker 2: Out of the ground, how.
Speaker 3: Would you be judging us? I mean, you realize there are villages in Africa where people wear animal skin, And if I try to explain that Americans use groundhogs to predict the weather, they'd probably.
Speaker 2: Be like, but why not use satellite data?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 2: Why not?
Speaker 1: And now for our continuing coverage of Groundhog Day ninety nine eha, the road less taken. Today was Groundhog Day, and weathermen across the country took a break from using state of the art Doppler radar to get their forecast wrong and instead turned to a rabid marmot that eats its own stool. In Pennsylvania, thousands of spectators waited all night in the rain to see the world's most famous groundhog punks, A tawny phil Phil did not see his shadow this year, but as usual, did set eyes on a whole bunch of people dumb enough to stand in the rain all night to watch a saggy road and get pulled out of the dirt. In Nebraska, Unadillo the groundhog did see his shadow this morning, forecasting six more weeks of brutal winter weather, which is bad news for Midwesterners who look forward to an early spring so they can get a jump on the hot, muggy summers that bring tornadoes and flooding. And because no, not yet, and because they can't go a single day without making children cry. Peter spokesman Dan Matthews objected to the treatment of the groundhogs, saying, quote, this poor creature is dragged into the daylight with people screaming at him. You only have to look into his eyes to see how bewildered he is. Matthews reportedly then added, much like I am every time I'm told to stop alienating people at parties with my freakish obsession with animals. Matthews went on to say, quote, these animals haven't volunteered their services and should be left in peace. True, But Dan was unable to then explain how an animal who genuinely wanted to would go about volunteering for a yearly experiment to predict the weather. And that was our continuing coverage of Groundhog Day ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Tomorrow is Groundhog Day, which leads me to ask, what the hell is Groundhog Day? Have you looked into this? People pull a rodent out of the ground and then ask the animal to predict the weather, which is so unfair because if Africans were doing this shit and you heard that we pulled animals out of the ground, think about what you said about it. There are villages in Africa where people wear animal skin, And if I tried to explain that Americans use groundhogs to predict the weather, they'd be like, but why not you still data?
Speaker 1: Ah Febrary second eleven Howmedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York. This is the Daily Show with johns joke. Actually know today's Groundhog's Day, which means we get to find out how much longer this brutal winter will last. We're gonna quickly take a look at photo of Puckstani Phil to see if he saw his shadow, and oh, that's not good. I guess that means six more years of winter and we're gonna need a new ground hug.
Speaker 3: Saturday was Groundhog Day, which leads me to ask, what the hell is groundhog Day? This is insane. People pull a rodents out of the ground and then they ask the animal to predict the weather. This is so unfair because if Africans were doing shit like this, and you heard that we pulled animals out of the ground, like there are villages in Africa where people wear animal skilled skin. And if I try to explain that Americans use groundhogs to predict the weather, they'd be like, ah, but why not use this? That's how I didta What's going on in America?
Speaker 1: Not blew Wary?
Speaker 2: Third fifty.
Speaker 1: Comedy Central's Worldviews headquarters in New York.
Speaker 4: This is the Daily Show with charms too.
Speaker 1: Well, it's another kind of cold, and I'm gonna say day here in the Northeast, that'd kind of a lot of it. How much longer are we gonna have to put up with this?
Speaker 3: The rough winter weather is not over. That prediction not from the National Weather Service, but from a rodent in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 1: Let me tell you something about Shepherd Smith. The guy knows how to deliver a line. I forgot. We're actually still using groundhog based technology to predict our weather. And obviously Groundhog zero is Pucksatawny, Pennsylvania, where the Doppler three thousand of rodents was greeted by cheering throngs and Gobbler Knob's best Zach Brown cover band. You know, I kind of feel like that guy in the audience. Hey, I'm freezing my balls off. Just get to the groundhog.
Speaker 2: When Phil finally looked down, Yes, a.
Speaker 3: Shadow, I see?
Speaker 1: Oh did did the groundhog see his shadow? Could mean there's gonna be six more weeks of winter, or that you pretty much always see your shadow when you have the place lit up, like the set of Transformers.
Speaker 4: Those are cleag lights.
Speaker 1: Anybody would see their shadow and cleeg lights, you know, and it's you know, that's fine, It's it's a cherished tradition. There's more winter. The groundhog saw his shadow, What are you gonna do?
Speaker 3: Yet several others reportedly saw no shadow.
Speaker 1: Well, I guess we'll have to teach the controversy or some groundhogs are lying? Why would groundhogs lie? What do they have against us?
Speaker 3: Set Island Zoo's new resident groundhog never left his enclosure during his Groundhog Day debut. Mayor de Blasio dropped the groundhog last.
Speaker 2: Year, which may or may not have conceived to its death a week later.
Speaker 4: Did you hear that?
Speaker 1: They said him dropping the groundhog may or may not have contributed to the groundhog's death. A week later, may or may have not. He dropped a groundhog off Mount de Blasio. It's right there on the video. Can we get a grand Jerry Staten Island God. The point is, after years, after years of this treatment, some sort of uprising is just a matter of when. Well.
Speaker 3: A groundhog delivered more than just a prediction at an event in Wisconsin.
Speaker 2: He said, He says that he want to ask if it saw it shadowed Jimmy.
Speaker 4: The groundhog chomped down on the Mayor's ear.
Speaker 1: You know that that's what you get for keeping grubworms in your ear.
Speaker 3: Yesterday was Groundhog Day, which leads me to ask, what the hell is Groundhog Day? People pull the rodents out of the ground and then ask the animal to predict the weather. I'm sorry this is so unfair because if Africans were doing shit like this and you heard that we pulled animals out of the ground, like there are villages in Africa where people wear animal skin, And if I tried to explain to them that Americans use groundhogs to predict the weather, they'd be like, ah, but why not use this such a light data.
Speaker 1: For more of the story, we go to our own senior meteorologist, Jordan Klepper. He's been monitoring the forecast with Westchester Wallly. Jordan, thanks for joining us.
Speaker 3: That shan, thank you god. It has been a well of a day here. I'm happy to report that Westchester Waally did not see his shadow, So Springer's on the way.
Speaker 1: Are you okay? It looks like was Wally mad at being dragged out of his hole this morning because you.
Speaker 2: Look a little scrappy.
Speaker 1: It was a little.
Speaker 3: All's well, that ends well.
Speaker 1: Glad here, Jordan. Maybe next year he he won't give you as much trouble.
Speaker 2: Oh you won't.
Speaker 3: I've made sure that you'll see your shadow.
Speaker 4: And hell, what.
Speaker 1: You're in a lot of trouble, Jordan. We'll be right back. You should have done it.
Speaker 4: Today is groundhog Day, which leads me to ask, what the hell is groundhog Day? People pull a rodents out of the ground and then ask the animal to predict the weather. Really, this is so unfair because if Africans were doing shit like this, and you heard that we pulled animals out of the ground, like there are vintages in Africa where people wear animal skin, And if I try to explain to them that Americans use groundhogs to predict the weather, they'd be like, but why who do you subtle in data?
Speaker 2: Explore more shows from the Daily Show podcast universe by searching The Daily Show wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 3: Watch The Daily Show weeknights at eleven.
Speaker 2: Ten Central on Comedy Central, and stream full episodes anytime on Paramount
Speaker 1: Plus Paramount Podcasts