Speaker 1: I am all in.
Speaker 2: All Let's kiss you. I am all in with Scott Patterson and iHeartRadio Podcast.
Speaker 1: Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, Season seven, episode five, No.
Speaker 3: Four.
Speaker 1: Why is that up there?
Speaker 2: That's the next episode?
Speaker 1: This is three two one, Hey everybody, Scott Patterson, I am all in Podcast, one of their productions. I heard Radio, I heard podcasts. Pop Culture Season seven, Episode four is wonderful as marvelous and Amy Schugarman is going to start us off.
Speaker 2: Christopher and Larely are coming back from a movie. Loralai is visibly distressed and overacting Christopher. But I have to say we were fairly warned. No, no, a movie should not just be its title. Driving Miss Daisy didn't take off, didn't all take place in a car? Dances with Wolves wasn't one long wolf dance. But this was nothing but snake snakes, relentless snakes, Snakes on a plane, Snake snake snakes on a plane. Driving Miss Daisy has already been a pop culture moment in season six, episode twenty one, in reference to Driving Miss Gilmore. Driving Miss Daisy is a film about an elderly widow and her driver's friendship, over the years. Dances with Wolves is a nineteen ninety Western film starring, directed, and produced by Kevin Costner in his feature directorial debut. Snake's on a Plane is a two thousand and six film starring Samuel L. Jackson and the butt of many, many many A joke, Snake's on a Plane has been an ongoing joke in pop culture forever. Kevin Costner supplied, oh did you know? Some people like that, We say did you know? And some people don't, so we're gonna have to go with saying it, did you know? Kevin Costner supplied three million dollars of his own money to complete Dances with Wolves. It had an eighteen million dollar budget. The film was a box office success, and he ended up making forty million. Like, now, that is not what happened for him with water World, but we won't.
Speaker 3: Oh water World still.
Speaker 2: I think he put his own money into water World and it did not do as well.
Speaker 3: It's still that's still a live show at Universal Studio.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I don't know how there.
Speaker 3: It's still there.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, every day I I've actually seen the water World show.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's fine.
Speaker 4: After complaining about the movie, they saw Christopher and Lorli come to realize they are the common factor for bad movies. Lorli, we can never see Casablanca together. I'm very sorry. I don't care how much I love it, but I will not be responsible for ruining Casablanca. Casablanca is a nineteen forty two film directed by Michael kurrent Kurtis, starring Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergmann, and Paul Henried.
Speaker 2: Is it Casa Blanca or Casa Blanca Tomato Tomato? Actually don't know.
Speaker 3: I think he's either were right?
Speaker 2: What do you think it is?
Speaker 1: Scott masa Blanca?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think you might be right.
Speaker 1: I think it's either or I think it's tomorrow.
Speaker 4: Anyway, did you know there was a height issue with the cast. Bogart was only five eight. Bergman, however, was almost two inches taller. As a result, director Michael Curtis had Bogart stand on blocks or sit on cushions to make him seem taller than Bergman.
Speaker 2: Raise your hand if you've seen Casablanca or funny face? Was that the movie?
Speaker 1: I've seen Casa Blanca Blanca many times.
Speaker 2: I haven't. Have you seen the fred Astaire one they watch at.
Speaker 1: The barn Well, I have not seen that.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I have a fun fact on Casablanca, bring it. They filmed that on some of the same sound stages that they used for Gilmour.
Speaker 2: No, that is that is a true story there?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Wow? Does anyone know where that barn is?
Speaker 1: That's on Humphrey Bogart's old property?
Speaker 2: Is that true?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And the fences are unusually short so he could hop over them all the time? Who's true?
Speaker 5: Suzanne Laura I has just walked in from saying goodbye to Christopher. She and Rory are struggling to figure out what this dynamic means for Rory, and Rory says, god, I forget what the protocol is when your mom is dating your dad.
Speaker 2: Me too.
Speaker 5: We'll have to consult Emily Post again. Emily Post was an author and socially socialite I never know, famous for writing about etiquette. She found nationwide success with her nineteen twenty two book Etiquette in Society, in Business, in Politics, and at Home and did you Know? Her nineteen twenty two book was later retitled to Etiquette, The Blue Book of Social Usage, and it was ironically, at one point the second most stolen book from libraries. It is sir random Bible.
Speaker 1: Now definite be true today on either book, Luke.
Speaker 3: Is reviewing the rules administrated at April School. He can't believe it, so he can't believe it, so Miss Patty gives him advice. Miss Patty says, whenever you were taking care of kids, there's a lot of liability. It's the same with my dance school, Luke says. And nothing bad ever happens. Miss Patty says, nothing ever happens. Oh, except that one time. Luke says that one time, Well, I took my senior ballerinas to try out for to try out for a performance of the Nutcracker, and one of the girls pulled to Tanya Harding and knocked the front runner for Clara out of the competition, broke her leg in three places. Tanya Harding is a former figure skater who was involved in the nineteen ninety four scandal with rival Nancy Kerrigan, when she was clubbed in the knee days before a US Championship competition that would guarantee a spot in the Olympics. Her life story was adapted into the film I Tanya in twenty seventeen, starring Marco Robbie and did you know that Tanya Harding pursued a career in professional boxing after her figure skating days were over.
Speaker 2: I never saw Itania, but it's on my list.
Speaker 4: Oh it's really good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I need to watch that.
Speaker 1: A natural progression from ice skating. A lot of ice skaters do end up prize fighting. April notices how dark Luke's place is. She suggests they go some place to vamp it up. Luke, well, maybe we can pick up a few things. I don't know, some pillows, a rug, you know, lamps, lamps brighton. April says, hey, we go to Tarja. Looks as that sounds kind of fancy. Did this joke land on anybody as, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Because people do say Tarja.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, but it was it felt like he would know.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I mean, nobody gets but even if.
Speaker 2: He doesn't go to Target, he would know Target, and he would know Tarja.
Speaker 1: He sure would. Oh that sounds kind of fantasy. No, no, no, that's how we say target. Oh, never been. Target was found in nineteen oh two as part of the top ten largest retailers in the United States. It was originally called Goodfellows Dry Goods and rebranded as Target in nineteen sixty did you know pronouncing Target as though were a French boutique, Targe is older than you think. Douglas Dayton, who inherited the Dayton business along with his brothers, recalled that people were making that joke the first time. The first Minneapolis location opened in nineteen sixty two, and on this show it sounded exactly that old.
Speaker 2: And that was my stomach growling. I don't know if anybody had heard that, But also.
Speaker 1: To the I believe that adds to the punch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know if anyone heard it. I'm obviously very hungry to the pop culture police, I do not think this was pop culture. I think Target. It doesn't it fit. We're gonna let it slide today, but I'm just gonna throw it out there before their defense.
Speaker 1: It was mentioned in the show, so it automatically becomes pop culture because it was in the show. So Amy and Dan O, sorry my mistake.
Speaker 2: Wow, David Wow considered it pop.
Speaker 1: Considered it pop culture. Who are we to question?
Speaker 2: Okay, So, just so you know, we usually historical references. We've been only doing this for seven seasons, but historical references we typically don't include. So just if somebody's keeping score, we know that target may or may not be exactly pop culture. Christopher takes Lorelight on a surprise date, which I liked, even though everyone else hated. He drives his board Mustang Bullet, which I also thought was his car. He didn't rent that car. I felt that it was his car, but I could be wrong. He drove it up to the barn, honked the horn, projector lights up playing Funny Face. The episode title is reference to the song It's Wonderful It's Marvelous from the Broadway musical and film Funny Face. The title as wonderful s marvelous, which I don't think you say it that way is wonderful It's marvelous is a classic Gershwin standard that was introduced in the nineteen twenty seven Broadway musical Funny Face. The song was originally performed by his brother by the brother sister team of Fred and Adele Astare. Funny Face then turned into a musical film in nineteen fifty seven with the same star but different plot, and starred Audrey Hepburn. Audrey Hepburn actually sings the song herself in Funny Face, and this was her first musical. Now, there is a joke in the show, which I'm not gonna tell right now because I just realized it's coming up in two more pop cultures m H.
Speaker 5: Emily gets pulled over for using her cell phone while driving. She refuses to believe it was illegal and argues with the officer. The officer says, ma'am, have you been drinking? And Emily says, what No, This is outrageous. You know, right now someone is robbing a quicki Mart and you're standing here harassing me. Quicki Mart is a convenience store in the animated television series The Simpsons. It is a thirty of American convenience stores such as seven to eleven. It is notorious for its high prices and the poor quality of its merchandise. Did you know in two thousand and seven, Seven to eleven converted eleven of its stores in the United States and one in Canada into Quickie Marts to promote the Simpsons movie.
Speaker 2: I remember that it was very cute.
Speaker 5: I have a.
Speaker 3: Random question just because it made me think of with QUICKI Mart. If you're saying something like target on a show, is that considered product placement?
Speaker 1: That's a good question. Probably on this show.
Speaker 2: They probably gave that for free, and you can probably get away with that because it's I don't know, I think you can get away with all that.
Speaker 1: Why because it's somehow public domain.
Speaker 2: Yeah it's not public domain, but it's like and it's not like you had a Target bag, was there? No?
Speaker 1: I think no. But I think if you mentioned in a show the product integration was coming into dialogue at about that time, I remember this, So I think the chances are that it was paid for.
Speaker 2: Well, that could be true, right, So the thing is I think and again I don't know. I think you could say Target if you want it, but a lot of times shows don't because they want Target to pay for that, right.
Speaker 1: Right, Yeah, I mean Target's gonna take it anyway. It's free advertising, right, Yeah, they didn't have to pay for it.
Speaker 3: Shows random Plood.
Speaker 4: Lorelai and Christopher have just finished Funny Faced, and Lorelei isn't all of how good it was. Laurai says it was so chuck full of or it's like chock full and even Audrey Hepburn was twenty and Freda Stair was like eighty. Christopher says he's still fred Astaire lorele Goes. I mean he really, he could really tap dance. In funny face, the actual age of Audrey Hepburn was twenty eight years old and Freda Staire was fifty eight years old, So thirty year.
Speaker 1: Difference, hardly any difference, did you know?
Speaker 4: In the film As Good as It Gets, Helen Hunt was thirty four years old and Jack Nicholson was sixty years old, a twenty six year age difference.
Speaker 2: Can I throw a fun fact out there that I might be only getting half right? I believe that Fredastaire had quote retired or retired from dancing and then appeared on the Oscars, and whoever introduced him said, you've never performed on the Oscars, and he came out of retirement to dance on the Oscars. I'm not one hundred percent sure I have that exactly right, but maybe close back to you.
Speaker 1: Danielle, sounds like a Hollywood story to me.
Speaker 4: One more strange age difference that we can point out would be from Poison IVY, when Drew Barrymore was seventeen and she filmed with Tom Scarrett who was fifty eight years old.
Speaker 2: One My only flag on this one is the whole point of Poison Ivy is how like, not okay the relationship was, whereas in the others we're supposed to embrace it. Like in Poison Ivy, it's basically like she's like a seductress who I think it's like her friend's dad or something that's like the whole plot.
Speaker 3: So, after Laureli and Christopher pick up Emily from jails, she asks what music she wants to listen to. Laurai says, what's in the mood for Jalehouse, Jialehouse Rock, Fullso Prison Blue. Emily says, you're very funny Laurai Lorlai says no, no, no, I know, I know working on the Chain Gang.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: Jail House Rock is a nineteen fifty seven song by Elvis Fullsom Prison Blues is a nineteen fifty five song by Johnny Cash, and Chain Gang is a nineteen sixty song by Sam Cook. And did you know that Johnny Cash performed at Fulsham Prison in nineteen sixty eight and release a live album called Johnny Cash at Fulsom prism Fulsome Prison after the success of the single.
Speaker 2: I actually loved the song Joe House Rock. I don't know Colin, but I love the lyrics, I love the video. I love the whole like thing. He's all, if you don't have a partner, grab a wooden chair, let's rock. Like I just love the whole thing. And that video where they're like dancing and two levels and black and white, that was like Elvis in his prime to.
Speaker 1: Me, Yeah, oh yeah, you Gus Scott Me. Yeah. Lucy continues the story about an audition. Lucy, So the next semester he keeps hounding me about how I'd be perfect for his production California Sweet, because they have such a gift for physical comedy. California's Sweet is a play written by Neil Simon. It also turned into a nineteen seventy eight comedy film starring Maggie Smith, Allen all To, Michael Kine, and Jane f Maggie Smith won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actress for her role in the film Did You Know? The film was shot on location in Beverly at the Beverly Hills Hotel, the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Los Angeles Music Center along Rodeo Drive.
Speaker 2: Daniel is Maggie Smith in your favorite movie? Harry Potter or did I make that up?
Speaker 1: She is? She is?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Who is she?
Speaker 1: She's?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm blanking on the.
Speaker 2: Name that runs the McGonagall. Yeah, Dary Daniel.
Speaker 4: I just didn't know who Maggie Smith was. I'm sorry.
Speaker 1: Isn't she Dame Maggie Smith? Wasn't she was in a room with a view? Yeah she is.
Speaker 2: I'm sure.
Speaker 3: She's Dame Margaret Natalie Smith.
Speaker 2: Anyway, the great stink next week.
Speaker 1: All right, Thanks everybody that's going to do it. We'll see you next time. Thank you, Suzanne, Danielle, Tara Amy much appreciate it. It's always great to kick it about with y'all. Uh, stay safe, everyone, all the best, Hey everybody, and up again. Follow us on Instagram at I Am All In podcast and email us at Gilmore at iHeartRadio dot com.