Speaker 1: On the Bechdecast, the questions asked if movies have women and them, are all their discussions just boyfriends and husbands or do they have individualism? It's the patriarchy, Zeffen, best start changing it with the Bechdel Cast.
Speaker 2: Hello, listeners, it's us.
Speaker 3: Ever heard of us? This is a wild This is a wild episode to introduce, not only because I think it's one of our most if not our most chaotic live episode to date, but it also took place five full months ago, so you're kind of being introduced to past versions of ourselves. Who knows so much just happened? Someonech has taken place since this historic episode.
Speaker 4: Was recorded, but uh so true.
Speaker 3: We were waiting for the summer to release it because it just feels like a summary episode. Even though we recorded it in February. You clicked on it, you know what it is. We covered the Hannah Montana movie with Robert Evans in front of a live studio audience, and I threw a knife into the audience by accident.
Speaker 2: Yes, which we don't really acknowledge, at least verbally as it happened on stage. But here's the thing. We live streamed that show and you can still buy like on demand tickets for it. So if you want to see the moment where Jamie, I think you're just sort of like jokingly like waving around this. It was like a knife in its case, but it also had smaller knives inside.
Speaker 3: Literally I was like, of course, of course, where I had four or five knives in a single sheath question mark. I'd assumed it was just the one like machete, but no, there were also the machete also had sons. I didn't know.
Speaker 2: All knife stories are about fathers and arts.
Speaker 5: And we've been talking about this for years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, so I did throw a knife into the audience. I will say quick update.
Speaker 4: I don't even think I've.
Speaker 3: Told you this, Caitlin, that the person who I almost hit with a knife, it fell at their feet. It wasn't like a you know, missed their head or anything like that. But again, this is it's such a.
Speaker 4: Weird plug for.
Speaker 3: Buying the live stream to be like, watch, I almost really hurt somebody, but you can see it in the live stream either way. They came to a book promo show I did at the same venue, Curious Comedy Theater in Portland several months later and we had a good laugh about Knifegate, so it's all good. I just wanted to say that at the top. And also just this episode was so I mean, this episode was so fun for a lot of reasons, but mainly because I think it's fun because our show has been on for so long now that we've like teased the fact that we would someday do this episode for probably for three or four years.
Speaker 6: Many years, yes, many moons, a lot of sunrise, is a lot of sunsets since we've been threatening to do this episode and we did, and it is It was everything I dreamed and a knife attack.
Speaker 2: Yes, it was such a treat to do. We had so much fun and there was a knife but everyone survived. And also another reason to check out the live stream if you want to do that, either instead of or in addition to listening to the audio only episode boring. But look, we're wearing wigs.
Speaker 5: Okay, oh I forgot we were wearing We are wearing wigs.
Speaker 2: Our wigs kept falling off, and that's visual comedy is Robert Evans also wears a wig. You'll see all of the knives that he brought to this stage and doled out.
Speaker 4: To Sophie's there, Sophie.
Speaker 3: Sophie came on stage. It was and you can also see an argument between another person who came to the rat Dog Show as well. At some point, I accidentally encouraged Robert and an audience member to get into a fight about chickens or farms.
Speaker 4: I don't know, eggs.
Speaker 2: It's specifically the number of eggs that get produced. We cut it out of the episode because it just didn't translate very well to the audio medium. But but you can watch that. It's extremely stressful to There's also a horny looking corn dog apparently or a hot I don't know. There's there's a very phallic hot dog.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah, that was huge.
Speaker 5: It was massive.
Speaker 3: Got this show really it's really taking me back to a simpler time. But it was an altogether menacing night and I loved every.
Speaker 4: Second of it.
Speaker 2: Delightful.
Speaker 3: So take a trip memory lane with us, and let's check out the Hannah Montana movie with of course Robert Evans. You know, I mean, you love him from behind the bastards from it could happen here from all cool Zone media endeavors. And you know, if you're listening to this show, you know who Robert is. We love Robert to death and we have been waiting to I mean, and as you know, it's a rare privilege for men to be on the show.
Speaker 2: It's true.
Speaker 3: So he paid us for that. No, I'm kidding, he didn't. We did pay him anyways, and we wanted to plug again. This actually for those trying to do Bechdle cast continuity. This was recorded the same night of our show with Sarah Marshall at Curious Comedy with our Goonies episode, and we were so lucky to partner with Curious Comedy again. So we just wanted to shout out everyone there and yeehaw, bitch, enjoy the episode.
Speaker 2: Enjoy.
Speaker 8: Welcome everybody the Curious Comedy Theater. Make some noise for the Bechdel cast. Please keep it going for Jamie and Caitlin.
Speaker 1: The ptr Zephyn bast start changing.
Speaker 5: With the cast.
Speaker 4: Wow, welcome, we've changed.
Speaker 5: The show is pivoted hard okay, Hi, Oh, you're just gonna be yourself Okay, I guess we hadn't pre planned a bit. Sorry, my han's gonna be slipping and sliding off this very real hair.
Speaker 2: We we should come up with alter ego names for us. Yes, such as Kate Lanna Montana.
Speaker 5: No notes, I think it's great. I would like to be Bambi Massachusetts. Oh yes, she's nothing like Hannah Montana and that's what makes her special.
Speaker 4: She can't sing for ship.
Speaker 2: Wait what is what is Keanu Reeves's character in Point Break? His last name Johnny Utah. Okay, I'm Johnny.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes, you're Johnny Utah's long lost sister.
Speaker 4: That's genuinely a great.
Speaker 5: That's like a good roller Derby name too. Yeah, that's really powerful. Bamby Massachusetts. Really not much to say about her. She's mostly uh, just you know, a terrible singer and basically incompetent. That's that's my alter ego that I like to slip in and out of love it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, welcome to the Bechtel cap Thank you for guy. We're so excited you're here. We haven't been.
Speaker 5: Oh god, oh no, I think this is just gonna keep happening. This is we actually got a really like expensive nice wig for the show, and you can tell by the fact that it isn't working. It's happening apart. Yeah, I'm just gonna really nice wow. Okay, so this is we're just gonna be balding the whole time. That's totally fine. But no, we're so excited to be back in Portland. We haven't been here for three years. Is anyone here the last time we did a show here?
Speaker 4: Wow, welcome back?
Speaker 5: Okay? Is anyone here just because they're like a hand of Montana fan? Is anyone here just like to tell me the seven things you hate about me? Yeah, we're okay, we should tell them what.
Speaker 4: The show is. Yes, yes, this is the Spectal Cast.
Speaker 2: My name is Calin Derante AKA, my name's Joni Utah.
Speaker 5: My n is Jamie loftus a pay Bambi Massachusetts. And no, we're thrilled to be back, and we're thrilled to be talking about kind of one of the greatest cinematic achievements of.
Speaker 4: Our of our era.
Speaker 5: I think, yes, this is normally this is our podcast where we take an intersectional feminist look at your favorite movies tonight.
Speaker 4: I'm really not sure what it's going to be.
Speaker 2: If you're expecting like really thorough, thoughtful discourse, it's come to the right place. Yes, that's what will happen here tonight.
Speaker 5: When people are talking about like put your thinking caps on, I'm thinking.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, it's so intellectual what you're about.
Speaker 4: And see.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so in fact, one of us might even have a master's degree. And I would never mention that.
Speaker 4: Not so jony, you would never. I would never.
Speaker 2: So yeah, this is our show, The Bechtel Cast, where we analyze movies through and intersectional feminist lens, using the Bechdel Test as a jumping off point. But Bamby Massachusetts is that.
Speaker 5: Well, it was a media metric invented by a huge fan of Bamby Massachusetts, where Gartana is Alison Bechdel.
Speaker 4: A lot of versions of the test.
Speaker 5: Our version of the test requires that to Hannah Montana's with names talk to each other about something other than an identity crisis.
Speaker 4: And most movies do not pass this test pretty rare.
Speaker 2: In fact, maybe only one movie does yes, and it's not this one.
Speaker 4: It's Fight Club. It actually kind of works. Is Anna Montana the same movie as I?
Speaker 9: Truly?
Speaker 5: Oh, I've got this in my notes.
Speaker 4: I just didn't like It's it's a beautiful.
Speaker 5: It's a gift from like Anna Montana and young people with identity crises. I mean, she was there for us, and her winning was not good it was. It was thrilling. Okay, so I mean, but we have we have a very special guest with us, and I also hello to the live stream.
Speaker 4: Yes, I guess that's all I have to say there.
Speaker 5: And in the last one, I accident I forgot that I once again insulted the city of San Francisco.
Speaker 4: And then I was like, oh wait, anyone can see this, they're watching. Yeah, I will not be allowed within the city limits again.
Speaker 5: And that's fucking fine. But we have we have an amazing guest who is a huge Hannah Montana fan. We've been and honestly, and I don't mean to like embarrass him, but like he's been at least once a week. It's like thirty texts in a row, Like when can I talk about this subject.
Speaker 4: I'm so passionate about people.
Speaker 5: You know, people assume I'm like one kind of person, but really I'm like a number one Hannah stan and I want to talk about it. I'm like, oh, my god, enough, that's his alter ego.
Speaker 2: Our guest is, oh, a journalist, Oh behind the bastards, but oh I have an eye.
Speaker 5: And it's like okay, but what but what's what's just beneath their secretly. Yeah, it's a Hannah Montana number one fan. He's a number one fan of Montana. So let's get him out here. Uh he's uh, Boston's number one prop comic.
Speaker 4: Please give it up.
Speaker 7: Foreverada, we prefer to be called Hannah mont Fanas.
Speaker 5: So, first off, thank you for breaking I'm so sorry.
Speaker 4: Sorry, holy shit.
Speaker 5: Well I feel very safe, I think right now.
Speaker 7: Would you like some weapons?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 7: Yeah, we are in the state of Oregon, which, in it's very enlightened nature allows the open carry of any kind of knife. So I brought a couple.
Speaker 5: Oh sensing some clenching butthole.
Speaker 7: In the crown, and in honor of your corn dog, I brought you this let's call.
Speaker 5: And I just wanted to say. I wanted to shout out, where's the audience member that gave me the corn dog? Hello? What's your name? Thank you Max? Because this corn dog is pornographic that he gave me, absolutely fucking sick. I will be contacting, uh, the authorities that I don't believe in her trust. But this is like, I mean, look at this.
Speaker 7: They really do look exactly alike when they say.
Speaker 5: All movies are about fathers and sons this is what they're talking about. Well, I mean, okay, yeah, what is this called.
Speaker 7: It's called a rungu. It's a war.
Speaker 4: Club, so it's a it's a whack.
Speaker 7: Yeah, you're for it's for hitting stuff.
Speaker 4: It's a whacker, all right.
Speaker 7: Now, this is extremely dangerous, Caitlin. It can't be closed. We'll just set that down here.
Speaker 4: Okay, Oh my god.
Speaker 7: I received that in the mail in an anonymous box of knives from a fan who said his grandfather had sort of lost his mind later in life and just kept ordering knives for the Budca catalog and they couldn't figure out what to do with them, so they sent them to me.
Speaker 4: Does it.
Speaker 7: Does? It's very dangerous. Yeah, I'm gonna if there's no way to safely carry or transport it.
Speaker 4: And yet you did that your bag.
Speaker 5: Yeah, this is maybe a ridiculous question, but like, what is the desired effect for when you like because there's also like a I'm afraid it's kind of like spring out and it's not spring loaded.
Speaker 7: It's far too heavy for that.
Speaker 5: There's a gorgeous angel with huge naturals on this as well, which you can't see because we're afraid to pick it up.
Speaker 7: But fear is a natural reaction to that knife.
Speaker 4: If I was using it, what would happen to someone?
Speaker 7: Well, you would hurt yourself first. I suspect it doesn't. I did use it to trim at one point, but it didn't endwell for me.
Speaker 4: Okay, okay?
Speaker 5: And then I believe you have two more weapons with you.
Speaker 4: Is that correct?
Speaker 7: I just got one here for someone else.
Speaker 5: Oh well, actually I feel like we should get another woman on stage.
Speaker 7: Oh yea better? Feel safe?
Speaker 5: Can we actually give me around our producer, Sophie Lichterman?
Speaker 4: Much better?
Speaker 5: Go way way better.
Speaker 4: There's a mic right there. All right, it's it's actually Sophie Caliphofi.
Speaker 5: You're like to be properly introduced next time. Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: What is this weapon you've got?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: It's very happy that.
Speaker 5: Notice how he's afraid when I do this?
Speaker 4: And what would that do? Would it give you a little scrape?
Speaker 10: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay, I mean can we open her up? Please? Sure?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 5: Okay, my god.
Speaker 7: Now, Sophie, you want to keep a drink in one hand and just kind of wave that. It feels real good.
Speaker 4: You never felt happier.
Speaker 5: I'm also afraid to move my arm.
Speaker 7: No, it's fairly, it's it's blunt. That's the safest kind of knife.
Speaker 5: It makes really yea persa. Yeah, I think I got the safest one because I can't be trusted.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of yeah, this is it's hefty. Yeah, it's hefty, all right.
Speaker 5: I don't think.
Speaker 4: I think I feel pretty good about this.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna be like, trust you with it, Yeah, I do. Well, Okay, it's just kind of a slick surface. It's kind of a water slide situation up there. I do think this is the first time in Bechdel cast history that we have invited a male guest on and he immediately approached us by explaining things to us and introducing act of violence into the situation.
Speaker 7: You made me watch the Hanna moon Hand movie.
Speaker 5: I mean fair okay, which you in keeping with the Laura love I'm okay, I guess I.
Speaker 4: God, So if you do, you want to like.
Speaker 7: Just jam it there we go?
Speaker 4: Would you like to hang hang all right, Marshall, give it over, Sarah Marshall. She was our guest at our first show tonight.
Speaker 5: Give it up.
Speaker 4: If you're at the first show tonight. Yes, so exciting.
Speaker 5: I got I got Minions. I got Minions walkie talkies as a gift after the show, and I was so fucking thrilled. He's gonna go to different rooms in my house and be like below over, Coopie over. I'm really loving the blonde theme here. Yeah, we were gonna bring you a wig, but you have the natural Hannah. Yeah, yeah, it's incredible. So I guess now that we're all here, yes, and now that this brain trust has finally come together, we should do what everyone wants us to do, which is talk about Hannah Montana under dress. And so, Caitlin, what is your history with Hannah Montana, the person, the property, the idea of the movie.
Speaker 2: Well, you'll never believe this, but I had never seen any of it until maybe three or four days ago. I knew about Thank You so much. I knew about Hannah Montana. I knew that that's how Miley Cyrus got her start, but I didn't watch any of it the end.
Speaker 5: But now you I have watched it.
Speaker 4: I love it.
Speaker 2: And then we've watched several episodes of the show Today again under Duress, most notably Larry David makes a cameo as himself in the show I was really taken aback by that.
Speaker 4: A season two gem.
Speaker 5: He shows up in a Curb Your Enthusiasm style thing, he can't get into a restaurant. He's got a baby, Cassie David him who knows why this is happening. But we're thrilled and we're cheering and sometimes we're crying. It's an exciting moment. So yeah, that's that's my history. What about you, Jamie.
Speaker 4: I love Hannah Montana.
Speaker 5: I actually I think I was objectively too old for Hannah Montana when it came out, and I was, I mean, with all that like Disney Channel stuff of that era.
Speaker 4: I was very I was very like bright eyes thirteen year olds. I was like Hannah who And then secretly I was feral.
Speaker 5: For Hannah Montana. But I had an amazing friend in junior high, in high school and still now. Her name's Lois, and she, like, I think she was like a really important friend to have where when we were not supposed to like things anymore, Lois was just like, no, I like the Jonas brothers, and we're going to their concert today, asshole, right, And then we would go and then so I think I got like this kind of cool like backdoor experience to that era of pop stars with weird hair, and I loved it.
Speaker 4: I had so much fun.
Speaker 5: I went to a Hannah Montana concert in junior high and oh you did not, I yeah, yeah I did, and she performed It is great. There's like a certain point in the show where she'll like reveal herself to be who we already know where to be, but we're all just playing along for no reason. And then the Jonas brothers come out and they have a trampoline and You're like, this is all great. This, I'm loving this. So I like watched the first season of the show and then I really and truly was too old to do it, and then I came back for the movie.
Speaker 4: Sure. Yeah. Part of me is like, should I use one of these knives to cut this tag off? No?
Speaker 7: No, it's very safe.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not touching that one.
Speaker 5: But I think that we came up with the idea for this episode like five years ago when we were recording and you didn't know who Ariana Grande was. He most certainly did not. Yes, yeah, so that I think is where this came from. But now, Robert, what's your experience with Hannah Montana. I know it's been a journey.
Speaker 7: Well, I up until about five days ago, I was pretty sure she was Taylor's way, and I'm gonna be honest, the fact that Taylor Swift is in the movie did not entirely disabuse me of that notion I could. I missed Hannah. So, like, I graduated high school, I think a few years before you did, and a few years before Hannah Montana really became a thing, I think, And so it was just kind of one of those when I dropped out of pop culture briefly to do a lot of drugs, and then I came back and she was very, very famous, and I was like, oh, this is something I missed.
Speaker 5: And to think you could have been watching Hannah Montana on drugs all those years.
Speaker 7: I can't say for certain that I didn't, but it does seem unlikely.
Speaker 4: But now you've seen the movie, and what's your general impression.
Speaker 7: I think it was probably the best Hannah Montana movie that you were likely to.
Speaker 4: Get very very judicious of you with, with.
Speaker 7: One exception, but we'll get to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I see this is Sophie was to your history with Anna Montana.
Speaker 10: I definitely watched it when I was a kid, definitely thought too many times out bangs.
Speaker 4: Oh no, I'm just waiting. No, I'm listening.
Speaker 10: I'm just gonna make really good eye contact while I tell this. Really thought about bangs.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 10: You know, all the little guest star pieces are great. I like that Elvis aka Austin Butler does not sound Oh not the first time this has happened between us.
Speaker 7: They're really good corn dogs by the way, whoever got them?
Speaker 10: Yeah, And then you know, followed Miley through her what did we say? Her I'm no longer a Disney baby song was Oh can't be tamed.
Speaker 5: But she's like in a cage also as a bird, she's I mean, and she's like, we're gonna talk about this in pickups later on. But like she's also done some serious cultural appropriation over the years, Like she's her crime are many.
Speaker 10: She should definitely apologize to Michael Jordan for that one song. Thank you to the one person who got that reference.
Speaker 4: Okay, thank you.
Speaker 10: And then just all the times you've forced me to watch today for three hours.
Speaker 5: Yeah, okay, there was a bit of a hostage crisis today when I made people watch Hannah Montana for three hours and every time they were not responding. While I'd be like, you just don't understand.
Speaker 4: We're getting very defensive. Yes I was.
Speaker 5: I was kind of I felt myself doing what my therapist tells me not to do.
Speaker 4: We just get defensive everythings that aren't important.
Speaker 5: But I was like, no, you just need to see how in the show, like in the movie, Hannah Montana reveals her identity in one way. In the show, Jay Leno finds out about her identity and it's a catastrophe, it's a whole thing. But we're here to talk about the Hannah Montana movie.
Speaker 4: That's right, So should we should we recap it? We certainly should. It's Caitlin's famous recap.
Speaker 2: Folks.
Speaker 4: My gosh, it's like it's okay.
Speaker 2: I'm like, I'm almost done with my glass of wine. I'm gonna need another one soon.
Speaker 3: I know.
Speaker 2: It's it's scary up here, okay.
Speaker 4: So yeah, people love her.
Speaker 2: So I just want to provide a little bit of context before I do the recap for the movie. But Jamie, I think I need your help. So I think what you need to already know about Hannah Montana as a character as an intellectual property, is that Miley Miley Stewart.
Speaker 5: Yes, Miley Stewart, Robbie Ray Stewart unacceptable.
Speaker 2: She is just a regular girl, but her alter ego, Hannah Montana, is super famous, and no one knows Hannah's true identity. No one knows that Miley.
Speaker 5: Is kept for her trusted circle exactly Dolly Parton knows.
Speaker 2: Dolly Parton knows. In the movie, we realized that her grandmother, Margot Martindale knows.
Speaker 5: Martindale is well aware, and she knows the hoe down throw down, we find knows it by heart.
Speaker 4: She knows a lot of things that Martin heart. Okay, So all she does is put on a blonde wig right to become Oh and all we do is talk into a microant. No, that's that is what we do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And the reason she does this, she like is leaving the living the secret life. Is she wants to have a normal teen life as.
Speaker 4: Someone constantly suffering an identity crisis.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, so that's what you need to know going in. So the movie opens with Miley Stewart, that of course, is Miley Cyrus. She's struggling to get into.
Speaker 4: Her own hand.
Speaker 2: The Montana Concert in Los Angeles, Ever, heard of it.
Speaker 4: But that's not gonna work here. People aren't there.
Speaker 2: Shout out to anyone from LA who's watching the live stream.
Speaker 4: Wooms still not playing.
Speaker 5: It's not playing there. Somebody in bed watching this is like.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they're talking about me.
Speaker 5: I think that that's where our shows are best seen from someone who's like watching on their phone, like facing their head, also eating a corn dog. Yeah, it looks just like this.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Miley and her best friend Lily played by Emily Osmond. They finally get into the show and Miley performs as her alter ego Hannah Montana. Her dad Robbie Ray played by Billy ray Cyrus. Are you okay?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 5: Anything to say? I'm so angry you should be excited, he asked.
Speaker 4: Kind of the same name as you, Robbie Rays.
Speaker 7: I come here to you, Jane on a Thursday night when I could be doing ketamine, and this is how you repay me.
Speaker 4: Robbie Ray evans everybody, Wow, one of the great beautiful. So he's Hannah Montana's manager, Is that right?
Speaker 5: Yeah? His whole thing is he puts on a fake mustache in the show.
Speaker 4: He's like, I'm Hannah Montana's manager.
Speaker 5: Then he puts on a like Jacques Clouseau mustache he has and everyone's like, yeah.
Speaker 7: He has a soul patch that has to register with everyone in his neighborhood to let them know that he can't be within five hundred feet of a school like that.
Speaker 5: I have a question the soul patch is.
Speaker 4: I don't know if it's more canonical to the character or the man. I don't know. Okay, okay, okay.
Speaker 2: Vanessa Williams is also there playing a character named Vita, which is Hannah Montana's publicist. Yes, right, And then there's also this guy named Oswald, which is this like sleazy tabloid guy who's trying to get this juicy expose style scoop on Hannah Montana.
Speaker 5: That's one of the things I like about the movie is for some reason it has like a very correctly low opinion of the British tabloids specifically, And I was like, yeah, I guess that that tracks. I wonder like why they're being singled out. I mean, they're horrible, but who knows they've got it in for our Hannah.
Speaker 2: Yes, indeed. So everything is going great in Hannah Montana and Miley's life until Miley lets a few Hannah related things get in the way, such as a shoe related brawl with Tyra Banks.
Speaker 10: Okay, how much do you think would they paid Tyro to be in that movie?
Speaker 5: Also had to learn the hoe down throwdown for the record. She does it, and she does it in the credits for like ten seconds and then bales, which I respect because this is what this is what.
Speaker 10: Two thousand and nine nine, So there's that's like peak America what it would that?
Speaker 5: That's peaky TV dime. Yeah. Oh, I mean Tyra's a huge cameo no matter when all nine. Yeah, I'm like, that's she throws Miley Cyrus over a couch. Oh well she must have done it for free. Yeah. They get into a pretty intense uh you know, and a lot of exchanges in that fight.
Speaker 4: Do pass the Bechdel test? That's true? Yeah, and we applaud that it is a flawed.
Speaker 2: So, uh, they're fighting over shoes because women be shopping for shoes. Yes, And also Miley screws up her best friend Lily's birthday party because she shows up as Hannah Montana and so all of the sun is taken away from Lily. So Miley's dad, Robbie Ray is like, you need to simmer down and heady.
Speaker 4: You're acting better than Billy.
Speaker 5: I've never heard a person more actively reading the whole time.
Speaker 7: He's honestly impressive, because I wouldn't have guessed that he could, just knowing what I know about Billy Ray.
Speaker 2: So he takes her to her hometown of Crowley Corners, Tennessee, to get away from it all and to visit her grandmother, Margot Martindale for her birthday character actor Margot Martindale for her birthday, because Miley needs to learn to appreciate what matters, because her Hannah persona is just becoming too much.
Speaker 5: This is something that always I mean, Robbie Rays Stewart, the famous character, He's always like mad at his daughter for having a dual identity, as if he weren't into girl and creating it in the first place. He's like, you're losing touch with yourself. You fourteen, You're almost fucking loser. I was like, dude, you had to have signed off on this at some point, and I'm pretty sure she bought your house, right.
Speaker 4: Why can't you handle this duality that I'm forcing you into as a.
Speaker 5: Child with your undeveloped brain.
Speaker 2: Right, Okay, So Miley goes back to her hometown in Tennessee. Her grandmother tells Miley about how developers are trying to swoop into town to build a huge mall, like do all this like urban sprawl stuff. So the time, I was gonna, Okay, thank you for saying that, because I noticed that both of the shows that we did Live Tonight in Portland, The Goonies and Hanna Montana the movie, have basically the same premise, which is young person needs to do something drastic to save their town that's in danger of being ruined by rich people.
Speaker 5: And I and it would be cool if either Data from the Goonies became a pop star or Miley Cyrus had to go onto a pirate ship in hell, either of these movies I would be perfectly happy with.
Speaker 2: Yes. So, the town of Crowley Corners is raising funds so that they can pay the taxes on the land to keep the developers out. Meanwhile, a couple romances are brewing and they all fucking suck. One is between Robbie Ray and a local woman, Laura Lai.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Jan Levinson golds so weird.
Speaker 4: I don't approve I know, it's like it does bothered me.
Speaker 5: I mean, I love her, but also it's just like, now we're sticking Laura Harding with Robbie Ray.
Speaker 4: It doesn't seem fair. And Robbie Ray is not nice to He's always like, I'm busy being a parent, and.
Speaker 5: She's like, oh my god, I just said hello, why why did he even get a love interest? Like, bro, it's not about you. It's so fucking weird.
Speaker 7: If you think that's weird, what do you hear about his real current love interest?
Speaker 5: Oh wow, I know.
Speaker 4: Roberts made a separate presentation.
Speaker 5: Roberts, Oh yeah, all do your show. I got five pages of Billy Red. At some point, if it came very clear that this was going to be a behind the Bastard's about Billy Ray's sire. But I will not accept it.
Speaker 4: He printed out notes on the laser jet. I mean, it's just a lot.
Speaker 5: That's so menacing, Robert, so menacing. WHOA, I just got my blood pressure just rose and can't wait? What is handwritten on there?
Speaker 4: Can I read it?
Speaker 7: Please?
Speaker 9: Do?
Speaker 4: It says she is the fruit of a poisoned seed.
Speaker 7: Now that was about a horse and a half worth of ketamine into my night of research. Do you want to know what else is on the back there?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's an address.
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's Billy Ray's home address.
Speaker 4: What's wrong?
Speaker 7: It was a long night.
Speaker 5: The group text really was becoming concerning at some point, so Robbie raised Dandy Chan Levinson Gules and it fucking sucks.
Speaker 4: Yes, it sucks.
Speaker 2: What also sucks is Miley and the boy that she used to know from school, Travis.
Speaker 5: They can we just get a big boo for Travis?
Speaker 4: We Travis? Oh my god?
Speaker 10: Why did he get to go to the movie m He seemed like TV series specific. Why did he get to bump up to the movie?
Speaker 3: He?
Speaker 5: I know, I don't even think he was on the show. I'm pretty sure most of the movie is like not even canonical to the show. Shouldn't have been Jake Ryan Jake. Yeah, there is a guy named jj which got woo's Travis got booze.
Speaker 4: Up said there is I mean there Miley like Miley Stewart. I'm so sorry. Miley Stewart had so.
Speaker 5: Many boyfriends in that show and they were all like played by a different guy named Cody with the same haircut. And then he's always like Miley, I have a big crush on you, and she's like, and I was like, yeah, let's watch this for five days.
Speaker 4: Okay.
Speaker 2: So Miley and Travis start building a chicken coop together and that's kind of the basis of their relationship. The point is she's getting back to her country roots.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: She then goes to a fundraiser slash open mic night, you know those things, and Miley performs the Hoedown Throwdown.
Speaker 5: Yes, okay, we gotta pop for the Holdown Throwdown. It is a classic, generationally shifting musical sequence. You don't have to like it, but it's history. You do have to do it everyone, Yeah, two.
Speaker 4: Three something something somethings some things. Oh, I wrote down all the lyrics. Uh it is pop It, lock It.
Speaker 2: Poka, Dotic country fall, yeah something, put your hawk in the sky.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm wait, I'm sorry. I smells it better than me. Someone had it.
Speaker 5: Wait, would you mind just do it on?
Speaker 4: Do you know it?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 4: All right, let's see.
Speaker 5: I don't know. Sorry to be so scary. Sorry, I just ate the scariest corn dog of my life.
Speaker 4: Sorry, okay, let's let's okay.
Speaker 9: So it starts with what hop it, lock It polka, dotic, country, fight it, hip hop, somebody side side sad, jumped to the left, stick it glad, zig zag across the.
Speaker 4: Floor, shuffle and diagonal.
Speaker 5: Okay, so like a kind of a historic thing that happened there.
Speaker 4: Thank you?
Speaker 5: So wait, what was your name?
Speaker 4: Give it up for zav everybody that was well, that was very special.
Speaker 5: I loved it. Oh it means and I agree with that.
Speaker 4: That is about how young.
Speaker 2: That feels like a song. To misquote Harry Styles. Okay, okay, so uh, Miley aspires everyone in town to perform the Hodeln throw Down, but mister Capitalism shows up and he's like, you'll never raise enough money to stop me from putting out my shopping mall. And then Travis Boo suggests that Miley invite Hannah Montana to town to put on a huge benefit concert because Miley had previously mentioned that she knew Hannah, And you're like, Travis, shut the fuck up. That's every time Travis speaks my fist clench.
Speaker 4: He thinks he's so fucking.
Speaker 7: Smart, he's gonna make a killing in the egg business.
Speaker 11: Then with the.
Speaker 4: Ugliest chicken coop I've ever seen.
Speaker 5: Sorry, his whole art he's like, I'm building a chicken coop and then at the end, Miley Cyrus makes it uglier than it's ever been and he's like, I better date her. It's like uh, and then Travis, for the record, never heard from again. She has a totally different boyfriend on the show. She's dating a guitarist named Jesse, who keeps forgetting like his whole Jesse's whole thing I made Caitlyn and Sophie watched the episodes today.
Speaker 4: Jesse his his brain cells, they're not so good.
Speaker 5: And so her whole thing is like, just don't kiss me when I'm Hannah Montana and he's like, okay, got it. That night on jay Leno, he kisses her as Hannah Montana and jay Leno gets the scoop. It's thrilling. Why is jay Leno on the show? Why is you didn't want Travis on the show?
Speaker 4: No, I mean we didn't.
Speaker 5: I wasn't asking. I didn't want more Travis, but he's just a pretty diabolical character. We didn't really want Jesse either, No, we didn't really want the show.
Speaker 4: I liked the show.
Speaker 2: Okay, So so Travis is like, invite Hannah Montana to town. So now Miley has to pretend to bring Hannah to town. Her friend Lily shows up to help. Hannah is then invited to a dinner with the mayor, but oh no, it's at the same time as the date that she has with Travis. Okay, hijik's alert missus doubtfire scene alert, and so Miley has to like go back and forth between the two events, putting on her Hannah Wig, taking off her Hannah Wig. It's it's a really good storytelling.
Speaker 5: And then Robert, you had, you had.
Speaker 7: A pretty Travis is waiting for his date, and he keeps getting angrier and angrier as someone who was once a seventeen year old boy. If I had been on a date with a girl and she had not shown up and then come back and apologize, the last thing I would have done is get angry.
Speaker 4: But he's furious. He's quick to anger every single time, and you're like, we gotta get.
Speaker 7: He puts his fist through some dry wall. After that, we just don't see that scene.
Speaker 5: That's why it's taking so long to build his damn chicken coob, punching holes in it.
Speaker 2: And then he figures out that Miley is Montana, and he's really upset because she lied to him, and is it?
Speaker 4: What did I say?
Speaker 5: I love, here's the thing. You weren't wrong, but you definitely were right.
Speaker 4: It's okay, okay.
Speaker 2: So Miley is upset that Travis dumped her for reasons that we know about, and she and her dad have a heart to heart. They sing a song together. I guess it's moving, and then it's time for the big concert.
Speaker 4: I love when it's time for the big concert.
Speaker 2: It's like, wow, is the third act happening. She starts performing, but then she stops and she's like, I can't do this. I can't lie to you. This is my hometown. You're you know, you're my people, and I'm Miley Cyrus is Stuart, not Hannah Montana. So she takes off her wig and then she performs a song as Miley, and it seems like she's gonna quit being Hannah Montana.
Speaker 5: Which this is a while because it seems like she i whatever she wants. It seems like she wants to quit being Hannah Montana at this point, which is like A, I mean whatever, there's plenty of reasons, right, and I'm overthinking this. There's like I can see how wanting to be rid of your alter egod, that's good, But it seems like she's like, so I can date Travis, and you're like, oh, like, throwing away your career for Travis wouldn't be me.
Speaker 7: I mean, but the way egg prices have gone lately, that might still work out for it.
Speaker 4: I was really that that was not your egg joke.
Speaker 7: I do have a lot of problems with the way eggs are depicted.
Speaker 4: Okay, well then yeah, please please, that's what our show is.
Speaker 7: You see a chicken coop that has easily thirty to forty chickens. Okay, yeah, Now we see Miley put maybe four or five eggs in her pockets right before she falls and breaks them, and then she only finds one more. Now, based on what the outside looks like and based on the way people are dressed, it's clearly shot sometime in spring or early summer, given the weather in Tennessee, that is prime egg making hours. With that many chickens, they're putting out sixty to eighty eggs a day. I guarantee you each where are the other eggs? Miley?
Speaker 5: This sounds like the worst social media campaign of all time. Hashtag where are the other eggs?
Speaker 2: Here's my question. When collecting eggs, is it standard to put them in your pocket?
Speaker 7: No, that's a terrible place for me egg Either way, there's something suspicious about the egg count that we see in this film.
Speaker 4: I think we can all agree that there's.
Speaker 7: So upset I'm livid.
Speaker 4: Yes, and we cannot what.
Speaker 5: Something we can all agree on is that she is the fruit of a poisoned seed. I don't believe you that not sober. I think that was sober thoughts. No, but look, wow two four zero, No, No, it's okay.
Speaker 7: I didn't put the zip code on, so there's no way they find it.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Caylen has the movie end.
Speaker 2: I'd be happy to say, Okay, it's time for the big concert. We're in act three. She starts to perform. Oh yeah, She's like, I can't do this. She takes off her wig. She might quit being Hannah Montana. But then everyone's like, you could still be Hannah Montana and she's like, oh yeah.
Speaker 5: They do the thing that they do Toby Maguire and Spider Man two where he reveals his identity and they're like, we'll keep it to ourselves. Oh yeah, but in a way it like forces her to be Hannah Montana forever because she's like, I'm ready to be myself and they're like, no, thank you.
Speaker 4: Just kind of like a nightmare.
Speaker 2: Right, But that sleazy tabloid guy from the beginning is about to blow her cover, but then he's like, oh wait, my daughter's told me not to, so then he doesn't, and then Miley and Travis kiss and the movie oh yeah, we don't like that, and then the movie ends with her performing another song as Hannah. So I guess, no lessons we're learning. What's the takeaway?
Speaker 5: The takeaway is something, yeah, be yourself to a point, which I think is the message of a lot of two thousands children's media.
Speaker 4: Be yourself.
Speaker 10: But the message is if you have a good wig, you can do almost anything. I know, what if you have Hannah Montana's wig.
Speaker 7: Like I said, I have a practical Hannah Montana related question from the very beginning of the movie. Yes, the song we see here play at that stadium in Los Angeles is called best of Both Worlds.
Speaker 5: That's the theme song to the telegay because it's obviously so you're back right now, because people are actually.
Speaker 7: It's nothing against the song, but it's clearly a song about being Hannah Montana and having a thin red alter ego. How is that a mystery thing?
Speaker 5: It's an open secret. There's something I loved about a chance. So that's like the theme song to the TV show. They make one small change between the TV show and the movie version of that song. In the TV show, there's like a line that goes like, you go to movie premiers and then she says, is that Orlando Bloom?
Speaker 4: And oh that happens in two thousand and six.
Speaker 5: By two thousand and nine, that line is removed because Orlando Bloom is no longer a famous person and you would no longer be excited to see him at a movie premiere.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: True, that song is a classic. I mean, yeah, she is. She is, but you would be surprised at how flagrantly she is very obviously not Hannah Montana.
Speaker 4: In the show, it's almost every episode.
Speaker 5: Do you have any other like basic questions about Hannah Montana that we can we can help you out with?
Speaker 7: Not no, not that that was about it.
Speaker 4: That was a more meaning than I intended to be.
Speaker 7: I mean, it is kind of it. It is kind of shitty of her to like when she shows up at her friend's party immediately get up on stage and play a concert if she knows her friend is pissed at her.
Speaker 4: M hmm, no one knew that concert.
Speaker 5: That's true. Yeah, that is true, because there's like moments where with like people in her life seemed constantly frustrated that she has this alter ego when it's so inherent to who she is.
Speaker 4: It's like, well, then don't hang out with her if you don't like that, But no one was forcing her. She literally is like shrugging at Lily.
Speaker 5: She's like, I'm sorry I had to put on a concert no one asked for with my new.
Speaker 10: And song to be fair in the pilot that you made me watch at knife Point today, Yeah, and I was like, can.
Speaker 5: I tell everyone?
Speaker 10: I'm gonna tell them your Hannah And then she was like, don't do that, and she was like why so confusing mixed signals.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Also, I feel like taking the private jet out there was a significant fraction, yes, of the money that the town needed to raise in order to buy the land from that cellphone.
Speaker 5: Look and then take.
Speaker 7: The third of the door take home from that concert.
Speaker 5: She just did and you know that that's also how Taylor Swift got there. Taylor Swift. Okay, Taylor Swift is in the movies as is. We did have any we have managed to not mention that Rascal Flats is at Margot Martindale's out.
Speaker 4: I didn't even know. Oh, I would know those gates anywhere, baby would.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 5: It's like you've never seen cars.
Speaker 4: It's ridiculous.
Speaker 5: I can't the lack of media literacy on this stage right now, it's shocking. Rascal Flats is at the house with Robbie Ray and Margot Martindale and they're singing some piece of shit song because that's what they do. I liked it. I liked it. Yeah, yeah, I said, I'm sorry, I met piece of shit like uh not Pejorida.
Speaker 2: Okay, wait, Taylor Swift is at the open Mic night thing, right Yeah, that's the end of it.
Speaker 4: And they play but I love it.
Speaker 5: So during the Taylor Swift song, they're they're cutting around to like a bunch of different conflicts, but most of this, like sweet Taylor.
Speaker 4: Swift song about teenagers and love.
Speaker 5: Takes place while Robbie Ray Stewart is talking to Jan Levinson Gould about how he's a bad.
Speaker 4: Boyfriend, which I thought was a good use of Taylor Swift.
Speaker 5: I thought it worked.
Speaker 4: Robert, I am very what's going on? What's going on in Want? I know I can see you shaking, ready to read the next? Yeah? Okay, so so is this a behind the Bastard's episode?
Speaker 10: Now?
Speaker 4: What's going on?
Speaker 7: I mean, I just have a little bit to say about Billy Ray Cyris.
Speaker 5: I have to say.
Speaker 4: The font is not very big.
Speaker 7: Most of these are most of these are just notes, but a right, well yeah, no, no, please please let me make sure people can see the address.
Speaker 5: So we're talking about Billy Ray Cyrus, not Robbie Ray Stewart. Is that correct?
Speaker 7: Yes? Okay, yeah, because no one has ever been named Robbie Raised, it's not that much.
Speaker 8: So.
Speaker 7: Billy Ray was born August twenty fifth, nineteen sixty one. Now, he was born in Flatwoods, Kentucky to Ron Cyrus, a steel worker who became a politician, Which is the first time that his actual background conflicts with the movie, because the movie clearly shows him growing up as a down home farm boy and his dad was like a union man who became a political leader in the state. So wow, yeah, that's suspicious, right, uh huh.
Speaker 4: So already a manufactured like every man.
Speaker 7: And also his grandpa was a Pentecostal preacher, which is problematic now he dropped out of Georgetown. He also he went to Georgetown. Fun, I know, right right, Georgetown. I know, yeah, very down home and country Billy old was.
Speaker 5: He when Achy Breaky Heart came out.
Speaker 7: We're getting to Achy Breaky Heart like.
Speaker 5: This like ties into like Taylor Swift is in this like country movie while she's from Pennsylvania.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, she's like howdy y'all. Like I was, like, all right, punks a tony Phil Chill aust.
Speaker 7: It's a lot of appropriation.
Speaker 5: Going on day everybody where grownhog days.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 7: So this is a fun fact. He dropped out of Georgetown in his junior year because he went to a Neil Diamond concert and decided he wanted to become a musician.
Speaker 5: Men can do anything. Wow, so inspiring.
Speaker 7: This brings us to the only notable fact about Billy Ray's musical career. The song Achy Breaky Heart. Okay, it was written by an amateur songwriter, don Van Trust no, no, no, Billy Ray could ever have crafted the intricate lyrics of Achy Breaky Heart, and it was originally recorded by a band called the Marcie Brothers, but their version changed lyrics to be less bad. So when Billy got the song, he was like, no, no, no, let's make it. Keep it shitty series.
Speaker 5: Not only did he not write it, but he stole it from somebody else.
Speaker 7: He stole it shamelessly and reached number twenty three on CMT's hundredths Greatest Videos of All Time, number two on VH one's Most awesomely Band Song.
Speaker 5: Caitlin needs to tell on themselves really quickly.
Speaker 2: Okay, The main thing I did to prep for this episode, aside from watching Hannah Montana the movie, is watch the music video to Achy Breaky Heart. It is yes, it is not good.
Speaker 7: No, no, of course not currently.
Speaker 2: Him edited concert in like four to three ratio, like aspect ratio. It looks like shit. He has the worst haircut. Imagine, terrible song and it's a bad song.
Speaker 5: But Kaylen, you were texting me that you thought.
Speaker 8: He was.
Speaker 4: A very lead.
Speaker 5: I was waiting for that.
Speaker 7: It's a unique kind of shitty song because when Weird Al Yankovic parodied it, Weird Al famously one of the nicest people who's ever lived. The only parody he could make was so mean that he donated all of the proceeds from the song to charity. He was like, this is too cruel. I can't profit off of this, but there's no other way to make an achy breaky heart parody.
Speaker 5: God, Okay, you're like one, Yeah, skip ahead, a little sit No, we're done.
Speaker 7: We're done. We're mostly done. So there's a couple of things I want to note. In April of twenty seventeen, he changed his name to Cyrus or the artist formerly known as Billy Ray, and Wikipedia says fans did not like this, but on Live with Kelly and Ryan, Cyrus said, I'm here to set the record straight. He assured his fans his name would still be Billy Ray. So that's good. Now we get to the sketchy part because Billy Ray. Cyrus also sits on the advisory board of the Parents Television Council, which is an ultra right wing anti art gentleman organization. They lobby against the existence of gangster rap as a legal medium of art. Yeah. It's founded by a guy named Leo Brent Bozel the Third who is the nephew of William F. Buckley.
Speaker 4: How long has he been on that council.
Speaker 7: For quite a while? I don't have an exact year here because I was pretty high when I wrote this. Also, Cyrus's song We the People was used as the campaign song for George W. Bush during his two thousand presidential run. Cyrus was reported as saying that he was a lifelong Democrat. I don't know how much I believe that.
Speaker 5: Well, it's a Georgetown University Democrat. That didn't mean anything.
Speaker 7: So the last thing I should note is that in the movie, her mom is dead, right, that's like clearly implied and.
Speaker 4: Not just dead.
Speaker 5: Brooke Shields then dead.
Speaker 7: Oh yeah yeah, and he is her manager.
Speaker 5: What do you mean by that? Exactly what I said? Canonically in the show and the movie, her mom is always dead, but sometimes her ghost comes back and it's Brooks Shields, and Brooke Shields is like, Miley, I'm so proud of you and like and then you're like, what the fuck is going on?
Speaker 2: It's not like flashbacks. She comes back as a ghost.
Speaker 5: She's not like, but she's like she does yeah, she comes to like advise Miley. The two main female advisors in Miley's life and I view this as a positive are Brooke Shields and Dolly Parton, and that Dolly Parton guessed it on the show many times because she's Miley Cyrus's actual godmother. Oh and today we watched the episode where Dolly Parton robs the A V Club or something.
Speaker 4: It was pretty exciting. It was good anyways.
Speaker 7: Yes, so it's fun that her mom is dead in the show and Billy Ray is her manager because in real life, her mother, Tish was her manager. Yes, and Tish and Billy Ray got divorced in the year two thousand. Oh sorry, in April twenty twenty two after a couple of different divorce attempts, and in September of that year, Billy Ray shared a photo of himself with a woman named fire Hose on Instagram. That is her legal name. Okay, the two met over a decade prior on the set of Hannah Montana. Oh no, yeah she is. I mean she's thirty four now now okay, So yeah, there's one one last thing I'll read.
Speaker 5: It's not against the law about how they mess I made him. I met. I was like, how old where they met?
Speaker 7: Yeah? Yeah? On the set of his daughter.
Speaker 5: Show a little Yeah.
Speaker 7: And in one of the stories he gives about how they met, he notes or it's noted, fire Hose came. He's like walking his he's walking his dog. When she comes out of the Hannah Montana set on that given day, Firehouse came out the front door, there was almost a moment of I don't know, recognition. I was like, this girl is a star.
Speaker 5: Back then.
Speaker 7: No, that's what he said, now.
Speaker 5: That he thought back then, that's what he said.
Speaker 7: He thought back then.
Speaker 10: On his daughter's tea, on his daughter's TV's.
Speaker 5: Getting paid to do off her likeness. I wish fire is the best. I think we should all keep fire Hose in our thoughts prayers. Yeah, thoughts and prayers for fire Hose is my is my takeaway. Okay, so that is that? Is that all of Billy Ray's crimes. Do we miss anything?
Speaker 7: That's that's most of it? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Okay, Well, Kaitlyn, was there anything else that stuck out to you about this movie besides the fact this fucking.
Speaker 4: Awesome, so awesome.
Speaker 2: The scene where Travis is like, he comes in, she's like in a barn or a chicken coop. I'm not sure, and she's singing a song and he's like that song, fucking socks, why are you? Oh you're still.
Speaker 4: Doing that singing thing?
Speaker 2: And yeah, so it's generic and your song isn't even about anything. First of all, he only heard like two lines of it. Secondly, she did none of her songs were about anything, so what's the problem?
Speaker 12: And one of our songs is clearly one of her songs is famously about if she were a movie, that's one of her most favorite If we were a movie, you'd be the right guy, I be the best friend that you fall in love with in the end.
Speaker 5: How is that not about something? Cake lamb okay and then all sorry? Her song that goes pop it, lock it, Poka dot it. Can't you care about the power of dan in this guy?
Speaker 2: Some things I decide jump to the left, stick it, glad, et cetera.
Speaker 5: I'd like to see you doing them.
Speaker 4: I'm getting defensive a man of I can't. It's fine.
Speaker 2: So my point is, uh, Travis sucks. We already knew that. But in particular in that scene where he's like your art is bad, and it's like, what have you ever done besides making ugly chicken?
Speaker 4: Coop Travis.
Speaker 5: Wow, I mean wow, yeah, I yeah. And then it's like all the scenes between Robbie, Ray, Stuart and Miley are always weird because he always is. He always is like walking after her the whole series, and the movie is like, what are you so upset about? And it's like, same thing as usual, the split identity you forced me into so you could have this shitty sitcom house next to the beach. Ultimately, I think that Vita is a fun character. I wish she got to do more because it's like, you got Vanessa Williams and you're not gonna let her do more stuff.
Speaker 4: I don't waste my time. I oh that we could.
Speaker 5: We could just get rid of Travis and have so much more fun more Tyra more. I feel like she we still have to cover life Size. That was what I thought when we That was a huge thought. The people people want the life Size episode. Oh, it was a perfect I haven't seen it in twenty years. It's probably yeah, I'm sure it ate. It's perfect.
Speaker 2: The people have spoken it's perfect. Oh. And then the other thing I wanted to say is that in Hannah, Montana, women are not the only ones who are prop falling because Billy Ray or whatever his name is in the movie, he prop falls too.
Speaker 5: Yay, he knocks a bunch of plates.
Speaker 4: So that is like equity.
Speaker 5: That is like very inherent to this like era of like Disney sitcom girls specifically, because if I had, you know, a dollar for every time we got I mean, we've talked about Hillary Duff. She's slipping, sliding all over the place. Raven Simone just absolutely flying across the rim at a moment's notice, Miley Cyrus just careening out of a can and like she's They're just flopping around. Yeah, I love it. They were our you know, they were the greatest physical comedians of our era.
Speaker 4: I like when girl walking and then she fell down. I look at her, I say, she like me. That's also and Robert, you brought this up.
Speaker 2: As far as they like dead mom hurts, she's like the Disney princess are basically, I do want to mention as far as the like father daughter relationship goes the parallels to Armageddon.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm listening, Hey you ready.
Speaker 2: Single Dade and daughter daughter daughter has a little boyfriend and something is headed their way to destroy their town.
Speaker 5: An asteroid and or American capitalism.
Speaker 2: Equally bad things, and the characters need to stop it.
Speaker 4: It's true.
Speaker 5: And they do the I mean they do the classic they save the town from the thing sort of kind of and you kind of forget what the threat was in the first place, and then there's a really loud song and then you pass out. That's the movie that feels like a movie the.
Speaker 4: Big time.
Speaker 2: Well, I didn't know this until you mentioned it, Robert, that it was Mildly Cyrus's mother who was herd throughout.
Speaker 4: Her entire career.
Speaker 5: And then the movie is like or the Yeah, the show in the movie is like, no, it's it was Billy Rays or Daddy.
Speaker 7: So that's uh stolen valor the.
Speaker 2: It's the erasure of women's labor, erasure, And that's all I have to say.
Speaker 5: Okay, so I feel so here's what we know. Yes, this movie is good. Yeah, I think that that's the conclusion we've come to. However, I feel like, I don't know, like Caitlin, Sophie and I like we can tap into our natural pop star pretty easily. But Robert, I just feel like you've got like a lot of weapons and kind of scary notes and I'm just like not getting pop star from you right now? So I wanted to don't touch.
Speaker 4: The notes anymore. Please, no one wants to see the address. We're gonna put that down, Robert.
Speaker 5: I wanna like we were thinking we would help you kind of get in touch with your inner pop star tonight?
Speaker 7: Is that?
Speaker 5: Okay? Oh boy, okay, okay.
Speaker 4: Let's kick up the music.
Speaker 5: We we've got, We've got a little plan.
Speaker 4: We've got a quiz. I found a quiz on the internet called pop star?
Speaker 7: Which are you?
Speaker 5: All right, Robert? If you want to find out which pop star you are, this personality quiz reveals your perfect famous singer match side note, can you name at least three of those people?
Speaker 7: Oh?
Speaker 5: The quiz before the quiz?
Speaker 7: Yeah, that's uh Selena Gomez? Is that one of us? Yeah? That looks like that looks like there's a Selena Gomez. And there's that also, is that Taylor Swift in the strip?
Speaker 4: Yes see?
Speaker 5: All right, one more beebs, come on, I've given you five years.
Speaker 4: This one justin Bieber?
Speaker 5: Really yeah? And that is oh you got he got a little caked out, didn't he?
Speaker 4: All right?
Speaker 10: And that's famously the woman you called Arianna Grad.
Speaker 7: Wait, which one.
Speaker 5: That's better have a day?
Speaker 7: Just one of the three ladies with Selena go mess.
Speaker 5: Robert's a big fan of rare beauty cosmetic.
Speaker 4: All right, we're gonna start the quiz.
Speaker 7: Okay, but who the hell is on the left that no one knows?
Speaker 5: Oh that name?
Speaker 7: That name means nothing to me, No one's.
Speaker 4: No one's quite sure who that is on the left? All right, can we start the quiz?
Speaker 5: The first question, what is your favorite treat?
Speaker 11: I might knowsh potato cheese, pizza, eating out a Nantas or chicken nuggets.
Speaker 7: I mean, I gotta I gotta say Nando's.
Speaker 5: Eating out at Nanda's. Okay, let's choose that one, Kaylen, you're gonna take this next one absolutely Pick a movie or series, Romance, slash Spotify, why are those tubes grouped together? Not sure this makes sense?
Speaker 2: Stify slash action that makes a little more sense, crime slash action or Bollywood drama.
Speaker 4: Thoughts.
Speaker 5: There's a lot of you know, there's some intersecting venn diagress.
Speaker 7: You know it's heartbreaking to think that soon is like this will be written by ais, I know, putting hard working writers out of business.
Speaker 4: What are you thinking?
Speaker 5: Answer the question.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have to answer yes, Roberts. Well, I guess I mean my preference in movies is my my preference in real life. So crime action, crime action. I think I could go for some crime action.
Speaker 4: All right. Next we have what song do you like most?
Speaker 9: Oh?
Speaker 11: This is gonna be rapped Cigarette day Dreams by King the Elephant, Get It Right by Diplo and m o Hey, Jude by the Beatles, or Thriller by Michael Jackson.
Speaker 7: Did you guys hear the latest Cage the Elephant news?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: I haven't heard the Latest Cage the Elephant.
Speaker 7: The lead singer was arrested in New York because people at the hotel noticed when he was in the bathroom yelling at no One that he had a loaded gun in his pants, So he was illegally carrying two forty fives loaded in chambered anyway with singer Rette Daydreams?
Speaker 12: Okay, all right, why are you like it?
Speaker 9: All right?
Speaker 5: Next quessure Gayla Okay, where do you like to live? The four places?
Speaker 7: Well, California and Europe are both acceptable, England and New York are not. Yeah, I guess I'm gonna go with Europe because California is gonna burn down soon.
Speaker 4: I'm fair.
Speaker 5: Okay, which car do you like the most? Red car, blue car, green car, or red car.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go with the green one.
Speaker 5: Okay, I like that?
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, that's really gonna hurt the environment real bad.
Speaker 7: None of them are going to be good to the environment.
Speaker 4: But that one looks like Shrek, who is good.
Speaker 7: For the environment?
Speaker 4: Shrek Heads. What is your shavorite animal? Tarantula, horses, cats, or lion? Well, I guess still somehow there's.
Speaker 7: I can't forgive this quiz for making me between cats and lions, but I'll go with cats.
Speaker 5: Okay, good.
Speaker 4: Do you know how many nipples a cat has? It's eight?
Speaker 5: That's cat fox with Caitlin like a spider Rubbert.
Speaker 4: Which country or region would you like to visit the most?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 4: Why?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: Eastern Europe, the UK or India.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go with why.
Speaker 4: No one's been there before.
Speaker 7: I've drawn the mystery.
Speaker 4: What musical instrument would you like to learn? Ukulele, cello, piano. I would only like.
Speaker 7: To sing, yeah, I would only like to sing.
Speaker 4: Okay, you're gonna regret saying that. Which personality trait fits you? According to your friends and family. Well, okay, Sophie, you can answer this said.
Speaker 5: Being rebellious, being stubborn, being campette on it, or being a dreamer. So me, you should answer this your friends and family. Yeah, I'm gonna go with ask the audience.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I'm sorry, but the clear answer is compasionate.
Speaker 5: He's a very compati nuts guy. Why all right?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 2: Which what fictional character inspires you the most?
Speaker 4: Michael saw from the office.
Speaker 2: Fictional character Robin Williams, Willie Wonka or Harry Potter.
Speaker 5: Yea, answer this question.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go with Robin Williams, but specifically Robin Williams from One Hour Photo.
Speaker 4: That's a good Robin Williams. Which quote do you agree with the most? All the good girls go to have?
Speaker 5: Be kind to yourself a little more every day. Music is a powerful tool in galvanizing people at an issue or no matter how many times people try to criticize you, the best revenge just to prove them wrong.
Speaker 7: Well, I guess the revenge one. I am a revenge Stan.
Speaker 5: I thought he was gonna go sassy switch out?
Speaker 4: What are you afraid of? The Phantom of the Darkness?
Speaker 2: Loneliness being in a crowded place, or drowning.
Speaker 7: I mean, I gotta give it to him. They spelled loneliness right, which I was not expecting from this writer.
Speaker 10: Your your answers Tepinitely being in a crowded place.
Speaker 7: Yeah, having been in a couple of crowd crush situations. Everyone file out real carefully.
Speaker 4: Who would you like to spend an evening with.
Speaker 5: Oh boy after fans on or family?
Speaker 7: I'm gonna have to go with the loan.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you're friends or a sadd What natural element inspires you the most?
Speaker 4: The sky, the ocean, mountains or the desert.
Speaker 7: I'm gonna go with mountains.
Speaker 5: Yes, a classic element. What is your favorite type of sports courseback riding, boxing, football, or soccer?
Speaker 7: What a series of choices. Well, I'm gonna I'm like a on an artistic level, I appreciate head injuries, so I'm gonna go with football. Okay, although boxing, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, there's a loan and falling off a horse you could get a break.
Speaker 7: You're right, You're they're all great head injury sports soccer too, But I'm gonna go with football.
Speaker 5: Okay, this is a really long quiz. Look, look where I was doing exteen of twenty. Okay, what is your favorite time of day? Afternoon, morning, dusk, or night night? It's yeah, I don't like that.
Speaker 4: Did the out of chronological orders?
Speaker 5: What would you do first and make the world a better place? Abolishing sexual discrimination, ending all wars, controlling climate change, or restoring balance at the global economy. Sorry, you can only be gone. You're gonna seem like a bit no matter what.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean, Look, controlling climate change sounds like I could control the weather, and I could. I could deal with some problems if I could control the weather. So I'm gonna go with that one control.
Speaker 5: That's the vaguest answer by far.
Speaker 2: Okay, Uh, select one of the drinks below, rum, vodka, wine, or tequila.
Speaker 5: But uh, what is what city is the best place to live for a pop star?
Speaker 3: La?
Speaker 4: Paris, London or New York?
Speaker 7: I mean, what's furthest away from me? Paris? Let's let's keep them far.
Speaker 5: Okay, and final question, Oh my gosh, select a super a supernatural power.
Speaker 4: You know that's the.
Speaker 5: Grouse awesome invisibility, reading minds, talking and understanding what animals say. A lot of thorny vinderstanding what animals say.
Speaker 4: Flying specifically, and don't press next.
Speaker 5: Yet because.
Speaker 7: I mean flying with flying right, like that's the only choice in a list of superpowers that.
Speaker 4: Can we get a little drum roll because we're about to.
Speaker 7: Get Roberts so excited.
Speaker 5: Robert your pop star is you may? Oh no, that is pretty fucking rough man.
Speaker 7: That's not good.
Speaker 5: How are you all right? Listen?
Speaker 10: All right?
Speaker 4: Give it up for Robert. That was very vulnerable of you to do.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, there you have it listeners. That was our live show recorded again back in February at Curious Comedy Theater in Portland. We wanted to jump back in though to discuss something that we didn't have time for in the live show. But we wanted to bring up Miley Cyrus's history of appropriation.
Speaker 3: Right, which I think you get a taste of, not that you would want it and in this movie not to say that.
Speaker 4: You know, at this point Miley is a kid.
Speaker 3: She's not really making a lot of her own creative decisions. But I think it is something that you see very often in kids media and which is still very white dominated, you know, the Hoddan throwdown. It's a very gentle sort of blend of genres. But I think we're more talking about how this unfolds in her adult career because it's been I feel like it's pretty common knowledge that it's been a lot.
Speaker 2: Yes, So, Miley Cyrus, along with many other white pop artists, have a history of appropriating other cultures, often Black culture, using people of color as props and set dressing in music videos, things like that, and these artists profiting from that, and then when that esthetic doesn't serve them anymore, or you know, like in the case of Miley, when she wants to get back to her country roots, for example, these artists have the privilege of being able to easily shed the persona that they had been appropriating.
Speaker 3: Right And I think that the sort of most well known arc of this takes place after the Hannimontana movie, but surrounds Miley's album Bangers, which came out in twenty thirteen, which I think appropriated so heavily from black culture that it was a topic of discussion in twenty thirteen, which is, you know, culturally a thousand years ago, right, But there was a lot of criticism, rightfully, so, around how Miley incorporated black aesthetics into her music and into her music videos, and there was also a lot of criticism of using black women and black dancers essentially as props during this I think particularly this album, but also just kind of throughout these couple of years, she generally would not respond to these criticisms at all or just blow them off, would not engage with them seriously at all.
Speaker 2: Fain ignorance, that kind of thing.
Speaker 3: This goes into twenty fifteen, she hosts the MTV Music Video Music Awards the VMAs in Dreadlocks, and you're just like, well, I didn't I don't remember that but that and then I saw it and then I was like, well, that's horrible, and like you were referencing Caitlin. That came back around in twenty seventeen when she did an interview in Billboard when she was sort of going back to country, completely disavowing or really distancing herself from from hip hop in general, even though she was very clearly profiting off of off of hip hop for years, like half a decade, and then she totally I mean, not only in this interview does she distance herself, she also mocks it, and you know, just I'm was like, do we want to share quotes it's kind of this too. It's gross.
Speaker 2: I don't want to share quotes from that, but I would like to share quotes from a teen Vogue article by Michael arseno entitled Miley Cyrus faces rightful backlash in the light of past cultural appropriation. It's from twenty seventeen. I'll switch back and forth from like direct quotes and paraphrasing, but it's a really good article. We will link it in our show notes. But Michael Arseneau speaks about white child stars trying to make a transition into bona fide adult star and what often happens with that, and how Miley Cyrus is a prime example of this. So quote. When they are younger, their squeaky clean presentation is incredibly profitable, but unfortunately for them, they age out and soon run the risk of becoming something that threatens their respective careers. Corny. They have to do something to hold on to their fan bases, who, like them, are growing up and are in search of new voices and sounds more aligned with their newfound older interests. So they clamor for something that will convey rebellion, and they run right to black culture. Then Michael talks about America's obsession with black culture, which non black Americans generally perceive as cool. But respect for black culture does not extend to the Black people who are creating that culture, as they are the subjects of constant racial discrimination. And then Michael goes on to discuss the public backlash against Miley throughout the years regarding her appropriation of hip hop aesthetics and styles, And we already alluded to this, but like the very cringey comments she has made about it, or the ignorance she has feigned about it, things like that, and how easy it is for again white artists to co opt black culture for personal gain, not only like money and profitability, but also as a like strategic like oh, I'm going to co opt this culture to gain credibility and popularity and get myself to a certain level of fame that I want to be in. And then when it no longer suits an artist like Miley Cyrus, they're able to just shed that persona when they no longer feel it suits their interests.
Speaker 3: Right, and I think I mean other And again, like you were saying earlier, this is not a problem specific to her. She is one of the more prominent perpetrators in the last ten years. But it's like, also in the last ten years we have you know, Azalea and Ariana Grande, and I know that I'm missing other white pop stars. And it's also not an issue that's specific to white women, it's white artists writ large.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's an interview between Sandersong and Emma Bracy on an episode of teen Vogue's Pop Feminist. We just love teen Vogue, but they talk about a lot of the same things that this article is discussing. And they also cite Katie Perry, Avril Lavine, Gwen Stefani, who all have a history of appropriating East Asian culture. And then like justin Timberlake, so many white artists.
Speaker 4: Really name a white pop star.
Speaker 3: I think the list is shorter of artists who have not done it in the last twenty years. And you know, going back obviously doesn't get better. Thank you for sharing that I hadn't Yeah, I hadn't seen that article.
Speaker 2: And then I'll share one last kind of closing thought from it quote, there is something to be said for an artist having the space to try new things. And for many born of a certain age, hip hop culture has been the defining culture for their entire lives. But if you don't respect these subcultures you borrow from, you are not so much curious as you are a charlatan. In a perfect world, black art made by black people would be just as successful as the art made by a white artist who's inspired by it. In an ideal society, what black people are vilified for wouldn't be so much more alluring when performed by white people. So yeah, I thought that was just a wonderful article with a lot of great points.
Speaker 3: Let's link that in the description all. The last thing I wanted to say was I guess just referencing that Miley Syer has eventually did respond to these criticisms, not until twenty nineteen that I was able to see. But I just thought it was interesting in the way that this happened because I didn't realize. It's a YouTube channel that I watch called As Told by Kenya, a woman named Kenya Wilson. She does great pop culture critique, and she released a video in twenty nineteen called Miley Cyrus is My Problematic Fave Sorry, which is a fun title, but basically in that she goes through everything that we've spoken about and more in detail and sort of lays out how she feels about how because Milly's been silent on this issue so long, like what is away forward?
Speaker 4: Is there a way forward?
Speaker 3: And her personal opinion on like I still enjoy her work, So how do I square this as a black woman? And Miley Cyrus actually watched and commented on the vide and I mean it's not I just.
Speaker 4: Thought it was interesting.
Speaker 3: I'll share a short quote of what she responded. She said, quote, there are decades of inequality that I am aware of, but I still have a lot to learn about. Silence is a part of the problem, and I refuse to be quiet anymore. Simply said, I fucked up, and I sincerely apologize. I'm committed to using my voice for healing, change and standing up for what's right.
Speaker 4: Which is very vague.
Speaker 3: But the one thing that did feel, I guess the most clear was I own the fact that saying quote this pushed me out of the hip hop scene a little unquote, referencing that twenty seventeen interview was insensitive as it is a privilege to have the ability to dip in and out of the scene, so you know, certainly doesn't make anything right. But I also thought it was interesting that this was a conversation that.
Speaker 4: Is still ongoing and it.
Speaker 3: Doesn't correct anything that was done, but just that that was a dialogue between Kenya Wilson and Miley Harris was interesting. And I'll send you we can link Kenya's video as well, because it is very comprehensive and she's just really fun to watch. I really like her.
Speaker 2: Hell yeah. So yeah, that's just something that we wanted to discuss that we didn't have time for in the live show. And what we also failed to do in the live show was take the nipple scale seriously. Oh yeah, So we're going to give more serious answers for our nipple scale, which is of course the metric we use. It is a scale of zero to five nipples based on evaluating the movie through an intersectional feminist lens.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I I'm now remembering why we didn't take it very seriously in the movie or in the episode, because uh, this is a very silly movie. I don't know, I guess like one and a half nipples.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, I'm like, I truly don't I mean, yeah, yeah, one and a half nipples.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I won't say anything any further.
Speaker 3: If you know, you know, I'm going one and a half and I'm giving them to Reco for some reason.
Speaker 2: Oh wait who yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll tell you when you're older.
Speaker 2: Okay, thanks, I'll give my nipples to character actor Margo Martindale.
Speaker 3: Amazing. Thank you again to Robert Evans and Too Curious Comedy Theater and to the entire audience that came out to that absolutely chaotic, bizarre show. And to Sophie Lichterman. We should be thanking her every single episode, but particularly this one, because not only did she was she kind enough to come on stage for the show, but also like put us up and like Sarah's shout out to Sarah Marshall and Sophie Liuchdterman for giving us a place to lay our perfect, beautiful heads. Yes and yeah, hopefully you know we are planning to be on tour a little bit in the fall, so keep your eyes peeled so you too can witness the terror that is a Bechdel cast live show.
Speaker 2: Will a knife get thrown at you?
Speaker 3: I feel I'm gonna be so careful that that does not happen again. But could be.
Speaker 2: Fun, could be At the very least we will probably eat hot dogs on stage and maybe wear wigs.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we're getting into we're kind of entering our themed costume at the show era, so yes, don't rule out a wig.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And you will find out about things like upcoming tours on our social media where you can follow us on Twitter and Instagram at Bechdel Cast. You can also always subscribe to the Matreon, which is at patreon dot com slash Bechtel Cast. It is five dollars a month and you get access to two bonus episodes per month, plus the entire back catalog of all of our bonuses, something like one hundred and fifty ish episodes.
Speaker 3: Wilds, we just covered what a girl wants after years of avoiding it.
Speaker 5: And yeah.
Speaker 3: You can also get our merch over on teapublic dot com slash the Bechtel Cast. And in the meantime, time to get on your horse or whatever and go hang out with Margot Martindale or whatever.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna go into the chicken coop and collect three eggs.
Speaker 3: And I'll collect whatever other appropriate number of eggs there are in there.
Speaker 4: Bye bye, bye bye