Speaker 1: Quest Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio. Yo. What's Up Everybody?
Speaker 2: This is fun Tigalo from Questlove Supreme and part one of our Atlanta interview with Organized Noise. We discussed how the gods Rico Waite, Sleeping Brown and Ray Murray got down together. We also heard how they changed the game in terms of sampling and really gave Atlanta a musical identity and rap. Please make sure you check out the first half of that interview, and that'll way back apart two. This discussion is gonna be just as rich and even better. I know y'all gonna enjoy this one. I enjoyed this one. These brothers are legends and gods to me only on q LS, Yes Her Peace.
Speaker 3: What happens when suddenly the student wants to become the teacher? Like, what's the division of labor in terms of you know, I'm sure that you guys are a tight three tight unit that.
Speaker 1: Handles the music Noise versus Earth Tone three.
Speaker 2: What was the Yeah, we wanted them, we wanted them to learn them if we wanted if we wanted them not to learn that, they wouldn't have been in the sitting there next to us.
Speaker 1: While we're doing it. So we wanted them to.
Speaker 3: But how how are you guys as friends and as business partners when it's time for bad news and production? Who's the person that has to like, can you talk about a song that almost didn't make it?
Speaker 4: Like well to be very honest with our dynamic because it was a Parliament type of family. So it's like you had a George Clinton, then you got Boosty. You got all these different people who came from this that was great. Everybody legends, but they all rock with somebody because that person had the thought process that they all agreed upon. Ray and Sleepy thought process musically hip hop, drums, rawness and music, vocals, harmonies being live organic, who's not using that now?
Speaker 1: Who's not who? It's like we got all.
Speaker 4: The not not thinking about the breaks as much. All the thinking about is the breaks. Like, so you got a marriage of like something like a sound that becomes a sound. Me the competitor. We're gonna compete with whoever else doing it, because we got it. I got the so we're gonna compete whatever I need to learn or to bring to it as far as musicians, as far as.
Speaker 1: The lame part, what kid Win, who cares what kew in?
Speaker 4: I need to know what keep in, so I can't say eybody know what I'm saying, Like but like they just they just doing it so big and Drake se Lo guilp anybody, p A Reese, anybody who's around these two people when they were making music, Oh, me and us, it was us, but just how hardcore they were about their things. Like wed if Ever, if he didn't care, none of his beats came out. We're gonna make them every day and just throw them to the side. You had so you you you around people who's acting like that, you might think.
Speaker 1: Like God, it's some dope.
Speaker 4: He just turns it off, went to something else. I want a chance to do it. You want to follow into it because you want to do it your way. Nobody ain't gonna do it the way these casts are doing it. But you're gonna learn so much Kanye West, any of these producers, like like what Organized Noise did wasn't one person, you know what I'm saying, And while they was working, I might have been at the store of buying sounds, you know what I'm saying, or whatever, like whatever it took budget like someone who can be like that's let's pay for it. Yes, we could pocket more money. Like we learned a big lesson from Parental Advisory with Pebbles. We use a lot of samples, and she told us, she was like, well, you got like ninety thousand dollars left in your budget and you guys get the remainder of the budget, but you got to give me all the samples first. Let me clear the samples first. Then we end up getting negative three thought old out right, you know what I'm saying. So from that point, from that day we started working on outcasts. Like that's when we had found outcasts, so we knew it's gonna be hip hop, but we we fin to get better. So I had started incorporating with Sleepy New with live musicians want to.
Speaker 2: Y'all too by some of y'all session musicians like Chance Parkman and like some of the guys like who what's y'all's relationship?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Preston from Preston Kenneth Right. Kenneth Wright was one of the first ones when we did outcasts. They end up kind of drifting to the church a little more but great.
Speaker 2: And who was playing piano on probably one of one of my favorite productions. Y'll ever growing old Nigga? That's chance, that's chance it is on that, dude, there's a chance. Okay, there's an at Alien sampler that came out and it has a version of growing on on it.
Speaker 1: I think it's an early version, right looking at that tenth rocks fat ass to turn the flap.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a verse. It's before I guess y'all played version. I like the at Ali's version, the one that came out. That's like, that's the one. But was that the reason why y'all took the sample out?
Speaker 1: What sample was it? I don't know the sample. It was just a different version.
Speaker 4: I don't remember a different version sample was I don't remember no sample. If it was a different version, I.
Speaker 1: Know, I know, I don't know. Maybe this is a piece negotiation. It is a piece of I don't know who did. It was just a different version. It was a different version.
Speaker 2: This is why I said, this is yeah, but no, that's like just a gorgeous FU song had spoken.
Speaker 4: I was just I was thinking it was about that that Markuez Marquis wrote that hook or whatever, like and Hades did waterfalls, so like we just wanted to sound. We felt like we owe outcasts of record that sounded more like something, even if it wasn't if it wasn't a third single or whatever. We felt like since we produced them, we got to present some of the kind of music that we've done on other artists. And that's something else I want to say two quest. It's like why we never had that problem with Big and Dre because we was going like we we had waterfalls out before they second out, they thought we would have these are the guys whoever they put out. They didn't know Outcast was gonna end up being twenty million sellers. And what I'm saying, it's like but they took they they had a like in vogue, like even the fact that we did sell Therapy Rock New York like this this this song and watch for the hook.
Speaker 1: I watch for the hook.
Speaker 2: When we did the Tunnels in New York City the night that I knew New York loved m famous my theory watched I thought that was like y'all's answer to Benjamins, Like it's you know what I mean, just the sixteenth pats that like it felt it felt like that like a y'all's answer to like what the East Coast Club record was.
Speaker 1: It's the foundation of hip hop. Yes, break I would do that.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna do, but you gotta understand, like just listen, listen.
Speaker 6: I just want to say this, this is this is hip hop from the South.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: What song do we say, No Southern Man, come on, come on saying brother man.
Speaker 4: It's said brother man, you and everybody else. But if you dug in the crates, you'd be like, man, this song called Southern Man.
Speaker 1: Come on man? Oh yeah, killed that.
Speaker 2: No East Point is great listen, man, like that record I remember reading, but just all the stuff that happened with Intersco and everything, like y'all's production on that album.
Speaker 1: Man, like Witch Doctor.
Speaker 2: And Cool Breeze, Like man, y'all was in the zone and that ship.
Speaker 1: And really we were just giving back.
Speaker 4: We did Goodie Mob abut every time we was in a position to do what you said, keep it rough and raw, even if we sacrifice having a commercial, bigger success, we put some swat healing Rich, Witch Doctor, like I'm saying, like, and Cool Brees and it was like it's like it's like it's like is dirty South.
Speaker 1: For one.
Speaker 4: It was on the Goodie Mob album but he the one who said what you really know about the dirty side? It's his song, so it's almost like it was his song get Up, get out. That's see low that was his song. Wow, it was on Outcast album, but it was his song. See That's what they did as a family, like like like being around it was like it was our Wu Tang other people. They were setting their people up, you know what I'm saying, and not doing it too commercially like you know, like it's BBD Boys and Men and ABC like, but but doing it like that because we come from.
Speaker 1: R and B.
Speaker 2: You know what me and Re always talked about, if that first Outcast album would have been called Dudgeon Family, people would get it more, people would get it on, and we would be in the same thing as Wu Tang. Yeah, because y'all put everybody on. Everybody. That's what the album was. It was just our care. It was everything set up.
Speaker 4: Working on this song was everybody was around that every day like literally because these kids was kids fifteen, sixteen, seventeen during it and by time he worked on that album, there was seventeen you mean or whatever, So so at that point we put them first. But the same time. We all knew it was all our opportunity. So I need I need your best, I need your best. They gotta they gotta do their part. They gotta do their part. But everywhere where there's a little spot sleep, I'm gonna need you to do funky ride. I'm saying, yeah, big route right onto the real to.
Speaker 1: The question.
Speaker 2: Free Wow to open the album with that really could have been an anthem at no point where you guys like, let's make this a song, like a full fledged.
Speaker 1: Song, and that ain't with the drums yet.
Speaker 2: Free and You May Die, which is like my favorite intro of any album.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna have this about free first because because this caught this, this thing been happening all day.
Speaker 1: Philly in Atlanta got that soul. We got that soul.
Speaker 4: You know why, because my my, when our big brothers McKinley Horton, he came down here, just jumped on to McKenley Horton from Philly, Philly, forget, he just jumped. He just jumps on the worldlesser or whatever, just started singing.
Speaker 1: It was church. I'm like, man, it was not put together the type of thing like like.
Speaker 4: You always just like it. It was a flex to it was another tool. It was like ce Lo is wrong and you see and you see where he is now. We was that, you know, like we wasn't holding him back, but we was making a street rap album. These cats a lot of the peers that just had died, like from school. It was very and we had the power to not make them a goodie mind fun group, even though that was obviously what you're supposed to do. After Outcast, you got you got this, Yes, you got this Parliament type of funky music. I know, you bring these guys out funkier and and this and stuff, but we were like, naw, we wanted to dig deeper into hip hop and and make them see that we respect that. We know we got the gloss on us or whatever, but but we're serious about this. That's why the next Outcast album we dumbed it down with with with singing hooks and try to make it more wrap hooks or whatever.
Speaker 1: At Ali.
Speaker 3: Now for me, like the genius of Elevators was the whole Greek course.
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, that was George.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's what we want to, you know, say, makes it sound like an old parliament where they're on stage.
Speaker 1: We want them to beate it before.
Speaker 3: In the so re Read reveals to us the process of speaker Box and Level Below and the fact that speaker Box was just his solo record, and then he says, Drake called it was like, when is this shit coming out?
Speaker 1: And Read was like, uh, you know, in five weeks.
Speaker 3: He's like, if I if I finished my thing, Like when I have to turn in he said, like three weeks.
Speaker 1: Three weeks, that's what he said.
Speaker 3: So for twenty one days he rushes, are you guys even aware that Dre now creates that or has been creating that record and has a twenty one day deadline to finish everything.
Speaker 4: Big Boy and Dre were going back and forth with that for almost a year before It's like they said they wasn't gonna work again. This is when they told us that this is their last album and we might not and they want to do it at that point, and I mean, I know Antonio probably said it, but the guys, And that's where he does get credit. He gets a lot of credit because he saved outcast the brand and that's something that he was invested into from day one, Like he knew that this is big in this as the world this is like, like what this was huge? Like this is a Whitney Houston, this is a Tony Braxton, this is a big group. Like that's right, Like that's when he used his business skills and then let them sabotage their own selves.
Speaker 1: You know what I'm saying by like looking like.
Speaker 4: So he was like, man, put them out together. But so but the fact of whatever debtline you're talking about, I know that I'm lucky. I'm happy that Big Boy had the way you moved because I think they doubted Andre's album. They thought he didn't want to put Andre Albu outcause din't think that it was right.
Speaker 2: I'm I wanted to make sure they're big because like you know, we knew with Dre it was going to be different what it was going to be.
Speaker 1: And thank god that, you know, we came up with.
Speaker 2: The way You moved because I ain't gonna lie, man, I was nervous for Big you know what I mean, just because you know, not saying that the popularity was with Drake Moore, but people were actually waiting to hear. It's funny how like you know, I'm sitting over at the house at a cookout and Big has this CD player has two hundred CD changing and I'm sitting in the Boomoo room and all of a sudden, this beat comes on there. He had this song for like three years and it was the way you moved, but it was broken all the way down. Then had the horns. It just had a little d D the little keyboard because I little buddy of Carmo did the beat. So when I heard that beat, I started. It reminded me of Marvin, so I started humming to No.
Speaker 1: No No.
Speaker 2: I was like, oh shit, So I ran out of the busy. Big we gotta go to the studio to night. I got a crazy hook for this one. And the way you who was actually going to be my record. You were going to do a whole new record for Big and BIB like, yeah, we could do that. But when La, when La reheard it, he was like, fuck no, that's your rat.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm happy that it did because I didn't hear hey y'all.
Speaker 1: Bro. I did not hear hey y'all till I saw the video.
Speaker 7: But how perfect was it that y'all had? Like Big Boy?
Speaker 8: It was great because he had the fucking radio hit right because the black radio hit whereas.
Speaker 3: The old timeout, So all right for me probably I'll say the end of you know, no rap, work day whatever, where every every major cosmopolitan city with the black radio station still had their like, you know, more music, less rap, you know whatever. That kind of died down in maybe two thousand and five, two thousand and six. But for me, all right, so WDS, which is the not the conservative but the older it's.
Speaker 1: Not the highest.
Speaker 7: It's called the urban.
Speaker 3: Yeah, the urban station. Do you realize that for least half of the radio stations playing the Way You Move, we're playing a big boiler's version of that song?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, literally, like where's the verse? And I was like, yo, they actually made a whole ass song. They play your Bridge twice as the verse.
Speaker 2: And I heard that when I was in La after it came out and I was playing pool.
Speaker 1: So did the label do that or did you guys do that?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 1: No, nothing.
Speaker 4: What happens is that in order to get your spins up, you can't turn down, Like do you know they played Waterfalls without Left Eye on those same stations they took a verse out? Yeah what I'm saying so, but it was those stations that we don't listen to We don't listen to them, but those stations generate so much.
Speaker 2: Still need the BDS is you need, you need the spins, you need to spin, Like, if that's what y'all need, you need to span.
Speaker 1: It's disrespectful. So they don't even tell the artists because it's rude. I kind of fly over you had you sleep it brown version. I don't hate my brother big I love but you know it kind of it worked, It worked, it did, sposed to do work, sposed to do.
Speaker 3: So any point between like the first momentum of organized noise, Let's say when the Socks and Draws come out ninety two, the original player Ball Christmas ninety two, right, yeah, so between hundree all right, so speak of boxes two thousand and three, So that's in your period. At no point were you guys just like, hey, let's do like, let's really be a group now, or were you just like, no, we'll well, we'll be the pilots of the ship and just produce all their stuff.
Speaker 1: They man, I used to beg these foods to be a group. Man, they never want to do it.
Speaker 2: So was so was the closest well of Raby back is that the closest y'all came with like society, soul and sleepy, and it was the closest.
Speaker 1: We're not sleeping thing because want to be a part yeah, society, society.
Speaker 4: So there was a part we didn't want to be a part of the party. But la Reed said he wasn't gonna do the group unless all all of us in it. So it was like it would literally be like they were going the road, big Rub and Esperanza, Me and Ray would pop up whenever whatever. We just looked at like Jim James Lewis was just gonna be.
Speaker 2: The producer never as bad as I wanted to you know what I'm saying, wanted to be a.
Speaker 1: Group with them.
Speaker 4: You know, you got to realize like we had took on something very like it's like what we were doing for our own little family as far as you know, but but what we did for the South, how we had inspired like we really we were like in the way I was balancing Puff with these weekends and ship like we was important.
Speaker 1: Was the problem was talking about that? Talking about that?
Speaker 4: Talk about No, I'm just saying that, like Puffy is the king of marketing promotions and he was a part of know, you know, you don't want you didn't want this bad boys shit coming in your city just taking over, but it was coming, it was it was coming. So it was more like everybody just wanted me to kind of like be against it. But I'm like, this nigga's coming.
Speaker 1: Right right, I got.
Speaker 4: So we're gonna play tough, but at the end of the day, we're gonna, we're gonna, we're gonna work together. We're gonna work together because of respect. And that's the way that God bless Kim Porter you know I'm saying, has passed away. But Kim would call me, Yeah, yeah, Kim would call me and be like he got he wanted to show respace. He don't wanna do that with your main and that knows it, and and not do not showing no respect to Dungeon families.
Speaker 1: There was more of a puff.
Speaker 4: Knew how to talk to people, he knew how to trick you to get to do what you want to do. So but that was important, but it was also like a half so a little bit even though you forget how important marketing it is or whatever, you forget how important the promotion is, but really, you know, we really just want to make music and really figure out other ways of getting more like different stuff out because Atlanta was but India I read with these it's it's such a wild It's like we don't set this hip hop off, but we know R and B and soul music is here, so we're thinking about how to make soul and R and B cooler and it's gotten that way now. So we did Society, So it was us trying to find that we was pushing the edge on what It opened up the door for the neo so like.
Speaker 2: No Man Embrace, like I ran the fun out of that record Black Mermaid.
Speaker 1: To Me and Earth.
Speaker 2: Let me say this like Society Soul album was actually some outcast ship. But Ray was like, they can't go back and do their style. They gotta come a little more hard and different. So me and Rude was like, what ship, just do a group because the first record was of her, that was the first record that we did at kirk Tong That's the one that's the one that they didn't really want to do it like that, I was like, well we might always do a group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 2: So that's kind of how the whole society saw came up sleep the theme see the thing came up when we were with in the Scope and we had Dopples's studios.
Speaker 1: We had all three rooms right.
Speaker 4: And it was also because Sleepy from day one, remember to hear the story. He he this was his mission. We kept putting it on the back burner because of our success as producers. Even in Player's Ball video, Sleepy killed that hook. But because of the Face Records marketing, he badly was in the video Get Up, Get Out the Prince Burson to Get Up, Get Out. It didn't have selot rapping at the beginning and came right out with Big and Drake. I was like, this music industry bullshit could have can destroy an artist Like I gotta go back and face these people and say like but I'm telling him, like this ship is stupid, but but but but it's but we gotta put Big and Drake. We got And that's why I said, going back, going now to the story speak about his love below. This is his brand. This is his brand, Big and Dre And that's one thing I could appreciate about it. Even though you want to it should have been Dungeon Family Out, should have been Dungeon Family out.
Speaker 1: But he's like, we got big and Dre signed.
Speaker 2: So when y'all did the Dungeon Family even in darkness, how were y'all as a crew at that time? Because my record off that album was followed the Light, like I love that was the one and.
Speaker 4: That came and that came out, that came together naturally, like everybody in the studio just singing, and they all there was some real Dungeon Family.
Speaker 1: Type of thing. You can feel it.
Speaker 4: I love, but that music industry bullshit that l A Reads doing. Then I swept to the fourth. He put Dungeon Family. When y'all bring it up, those memories come up. He put out Outcasts Greatest his album that he never knew that we never knew about. Two weeks after he put out Dungeon Family out, he just gave he literally no no, He gave us a million dollars just so Outcasts will be cool with putting out cause they knew that putting out their greatest hit thing was what we're doing that for. He knew he was trying to work the Outcast. Now, I keep telling it, I can put a four Outcast records right now with with with them on one song, I can just keep it going. I need to meet a certain quota.
Speaker 1: The whole world, the whole world should have been the singer on Dungeons. Yeah, so it's like.
Speaker 4: The fact that he was playing, but that's not an outcast thing, that's not an organized Norse thing.
Speaker 1: That was an l a read thing playing the game.
Speaker 4: As far as like thinking he knew more about he knew more now and he saw master p and everybody was.
Speaker 2: Doing it side outcast on. Now, if you were fan, which side you're gonna hang up?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 7: Yes, that's on the back.
Speaker 1: I was. I was living when I saw that. Man.
Speaker 4: We were showing, we were sure we would show up at certain places and and this was like I didn't have any more control of the business part because we had did the Ender Scope deal. So now we're still a crew. How you're talking about, how how did things go between us and them? We all stayed the family. The problem was when we wasn't in control of the business. Yeah, things broke up. Everybody broke up. I mean everybody because we wasn't in control of That's what's the word translating some of those conversations, like when it's ABOUTY say Big and Dre. They're not stars. I didn't go back and tell them that. I know, you know what you're up there. Yeah, you know what you're talking about. You know what I'm saying. You're telling me I'm the star. I should be in the group. And I'm like an R and B. I'm like, big Daddy came up the whole bye right, it's like you want to put big Daddy came having this trying to get that ain't gonna work.
Speaker 2: Nah, if by record on that one, it was, of course, it's the single six minute and white Guts.
Speaker 1: White Guts was crazy.
Speaker 4: They be giving up Big Boy General pat man On God, y'all world here this this man hold us down better than anybody, better than anybody.
Speaker 1: He is a true leader. He's a true leader.
Speaker 4: I wanted Dre to be the leader, and Dre tell me you're the leader, like I'm the leader, and that's right.
Speaker 1: But he's right.
Speaker 4: But but but big boy, big Boy is the General Patton Man. I love him to death. That man like the elevators that me and you ain't. No, it's like big boy his that is That is what our cast is. Andre is what outcasts became. As far as like the fact that his creativity was it's a it's prince then he yes, the fact that he learned good charge. He showed you start off as a rapper, just rapping and not making beats and becoming a person that's writing your own songs and records. Like like you're playing every play, every play instruments. You play whatever you want to do if you love it, and that's all music asked.
Speaker 1: You got to put back into it.
Speaker 4: You got now, right, man, Man, he on the flue, he popping up, he popping up in people.
Speaker 1: Man, I want to see him. Man, he's just walking around playing flute in Philadelphia.
Speaker 2: Alright, let me know what Drake dre playing is more like a cold movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, I had a question.
Speaker 2: I had a question about so Curtis Mayfield the New War Order album. Oh man, was it true that y'all recorded his vocals on his back? Yes, we did talk about those sessions. The first well, the song that was ms Mark and uh. We were sitting there and they brought him in and he had to sing the whole thing on his back. So when he was singing, sometimes with spast and it's no to go up or whatever, But basically he really sung the song and like maybe two takes, bro like he really killed it. It was really amazing to actually work with him before he passed. And because I'm sitting there, you know, player ball is out and I don't know how you.
Speaker 1: Feel about it.
Speaker 2: So I'm nervous as hell because I'm sitting there, I'm like, oh im about doing Curtis Mayfield vocals.
Speaker 1: Damn.
Speaker 2: So he's in there. In the first day he said to me, was sleep it. I really liked what you did on that on that out. Can that player his ball keep it up?
Speaker 1: I was like.
Speaker 4: What, because at that time, everybody was comparing his vocal to Curtis Mayfield, Curtis's Mayfield vocal on That's what the writers were saying. And at that point I was cool with it because we kind of had a relationship with Curtis Mayfield's son. It was kind of like a family thing or whatever to where we knew them and we actually we was gonna buy his father's studio, but we didn't want to take it from so we.
Speaker 1: Made to a museum. Damn.
Speaker 8: Wait, So can I ask you, Sleepy, how do you feel do you feel you got your just At this point as a solo artist with all these stories.
Speaker 2: Hell, no, man, I can say this. I've been very fortunate to meet all my heroes. I'm talking about everybody used to sit down and look at their album for hours and just earth Winding Fire. I had a chance to walk in. But when I tell me that earth Winding Fire, because I had met George, and George became like a father to me. So but I met all the original members of Earth Wind the Fire. We walk in for the Grammy rehearsal and I'm like, that's right. I said, bro that that niggle Maurice hold on. He was like, yeah, they perform and I was like, man, get what you.
Speaker 1: Didn't find out you're performing them until that out.
Speaker 2: As soon as I said what, there was in the circle that said Steven come in and sing the birth. Wow.
Speaker 1: So earth Wind and Fire is doing the singing. Man, come on.
Speaker 2: I was always great, naive, So I had a chance to meet all my heroes, man, everybody in the music business that I always looked up to, and they all adopted me. And I'm more happy about that than my career, to tell you the truth, Because as a solo artist, it's been all right. You know what, I mean, the way you move still does great for me.
Speaker 1: I love it. We could perform that anytime.
Speaker 2: My dad always told me, said, Patri you're gonna have one song that you can perform to.
Speaker 1: You die dances for him, he said, the way it moves for you. Wow. You know listen, you know my career has been I love it.
Speaker 2: It's some stuff that I wish could have happened better, but that's definitely happened. But but you know what, my thing on that album, my record was I like Margarita.
Speaker 1: One of the nights was the one for me.
Speaker 7: One of the Knights.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I did that with them. He did that with Black Eyed peas Man. Oh well, will yeah Prince and yeah yeah Prince.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Can I ask give me a close call story? Who did you guys almost work on and didn't work on? He talked about producing their record and then.
Speaker 4: Right, well, Kendrick, it was because you just didn't pick the right It was just it was just timing they was at the time they was moving, but he just came.
Speaker 1: That's was like out.
Speaker 3: It's like what you wait free or new Kendrick, Oh well, or he he wanted the classic organized noise or.
Speaker 4: Yes when right before he put out all this stuff that he like, right right, but okay, but let me think a good let me think.
Speaker 1: Let me think maybe around twenty thirteen fourteen something that.
Speaker 4: I know for I know one story which is I mean, I'm thinking of another one, but Jagged Edge, like Jagged Jagged Edge was supposed to be signed us. I kind of like during that time because cause I loved them twins, them twins that really sing and they's coming around and they was playing the song. But I just felt like we had it was the in a scope deal. We had just kind of messed up. So instead of like looking at God looking at the gift, and I'm saying like, okay, this is another group, it was more like we just want that kind of build up in house or whatever, and that stuff was kind of already done. They had everything written. It was just like one of those you just need to go in and touch it or whatever like putting or whatever, get it right. And and I remember saying, I'm gonna let your man out. I should have did that.
Speaker 3: I know, I know there's no way to ask this question and not be whatever, But like as far as the different family members, because you know, we just got done talking to Keisha Jackson, and she's speaking of, like, you know, there's the Social Death Crew, and there's Organized Noise Crew, and there's like so many crews around, and she was speaking speaking of basically like being a freelance background singer, and she in the beginning didn't know if motherfuckers would feel a certain way of like she's singing when y'all one moment and then over here singing with them is another like kind of like an appoloonya Prince Wayre's thing.
Speaker 1: But is there friendly rivalry at least between.
Speaker 4: He tell you something, I'll tell you something Off the Rip Atlanta, Jermaine Dupree, Dallas Austin Organized Noise, all right, So we because they were already kind of getting it. Dallas is the king, you know what I'm saying. Dallas was the king. Dallas had, you know what I'm saying. Not only did he have a b C. He was produced Boys to Man, He produced Boys to Men first album or whatever, like he he did Madonna.
Speaker 1: He was he was somebody that.
Speaker 4: We was just like, remember Dallas, Dallas, that guy like Dallas, the guy on the show.
Speaker 1: So Jermaine, what's that guy?
Speaker 4: Independently coast, closer to what we can touch like he was working with Itchy Bun.
Speaker 1: He had a couple of hip and the straight Jackers. He had.
Speaker 9: Me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, his version of his version of the Southern Paper, his version of that what he was doing.
Speaker 4: I'm just I'm just telling you how I saw how I saw it. But I still admired him because his father and what he did that was I was close to connected. Jermaine was our he was tangible. Jermaine was friends with KP them like that. We could so so it was more about we did when Chris Cross came, he.
Speaker 1: Figured it out. He did his version of a kid.
Speaker 2: Actually, me and Jermaine kind of grew up backstage together because his dad was the road manager for Brick.
Speaker 4: So so so with that being said, when we go in the studio, were in the studio, I remember the first time we was like working on outre working on some I heard him starting to do like he started trying to use that person on Bratt, Mark Marcus Jefferson.
Speaker 1: Marcus, we ain't work. We ain't Mark, We ain't work with Mark. About ten years after that, Mark, No.
Speaker 4: I mean I love him to death, but he know I got mad about that I got mad, even though.
Speaker 7: Did he stepped away from what he was doing for y'all to do that?
Speaker 1: No, he didn't step away.
Speaker 4: It was just me being like that nigga biting us territory spin territorial because Mark was fresh Mark.
Speaker 1: Mark had a new sound. He he he.
Speaker 4: Had he had the big bass slide, but he had put the witness on it and we had waterfalls with him and we did.
Speaker 1: Something this way come like the sound was gonna be big.
Speaker 4: So it was like, man, he's just trying to like rip that that sound.
Speaker 1: But we was wrong. You know what I'm saying. It's like like we was right about what he did or whatever.
Speaker 4: But it wasn't about shunning him as it was just more like it's other bass players.
Speaker 1: We can use other people. You won't be in our sessions or whatever. Like That's how I didn't really know, you know, this is what we're saying.
Speaker 8: What we.
Speaker 4: Know what I'm talking about because he was one of our he would have been he was somebody that we would have covered it even more. But guess what though we had Guess what that ain't just we had Preston. Preston went and got that littlefect and put it on his base would have got put it out Preston, but go pressed on.
Speaker 1: A yes to say that sound is our sound.
Speaker 6: So this is why Preston incorporated that thing into his thing, because.
Speaker 1: We still do that. That's why when you hear that water based any kind of.
Speaker 4: Talk about out there sound, you hear certain stuff that you said that's out there.
Speaker 1: There's no disrespect to nobody. I just blew him up. Marcus Jefferson.
Speaker 7: Can you tell the story behind Liberation man? Please?
Speaker 1: And again? But kung Fu is strong.
Speaker 4: But once again, I can give you this this part of how I felt about it, and then I got to see and how I felt about it at that time, the musicianship, the fact that we saying we.
Speaker 6: Did all of them at Doppler, the song together, and we were doing all of this thing. All of this was at the same time, right, It's all the same. It's like the musicians going room the room, you know, but the same energy.
Speaker 4: At that point I felt like Big and Dre like so that album and the Liberation was on stink on you right. That album is Big and Dre's complete coming out party like almost could have could have been their last album.
Speaker 1: Everything else was forced that I mean not for for the record.
Speaker 4: Yes, by that time, parties were free because I think he did Gasoline Dreams on that album, so like they was.
Speaker 1: Once you work with musicians a lot.
Speaker 4: On the album, you figured out that the sonics of being able to have these sounds with these sounds in that sound. So by the time they got the Liberation, I feel like that's where the poetry.
Speaker 1: That's when he was n Spodio the double dishes.
Speaker 4: That's why those songs are so special because they produced the hell out the songs. Then they didn't have to perform as rappers. They went and did like like the it was actually wow and then and then the horn section those.
Speaker 7: Brothers, So who is the hook, who's the who came up with the lyrics for? It's a fine line between.
Speaker 4: That's and we flew to Dallas to record her vocals.
Speaker 1: Fore you got me.
Speaker 3: She was just listening to a rough, so I guess Dre left a rough of like five songs there and Ross was with us Common and Liberation came on and literally I could say, now probably no group or a collective of producers has ever made us like you know that that kill Bill Ironside.
Speaker 1: When that ship came on. I remember Rosh came on.
Speaker 10: He's like, yo, man, how do you feel about that that last song? And I was like said, yo man, we got to come with some ship man like cause. And I remember to that day when the idea of heaving somewhere guys, I don't know if you know.
Speaker 2: Good In my soul Ford album, Mixo mix So What's What's Happen with him? Was my joint mix so man, Mixo really was a bomb producer that he did bomb producer.
Speaker 1: He was really he was not not bomb. He was dope.
Speaker 4: He was dope, not he was super dope and and that, and at that point we weren't really giving those sides up. So it was like when he did the original, we flipped it like like like so he got like like we might have flipped like whatever he did.
Speaker 1: But how did they know? Mix So how does Mixo involved? Mixo had did Lumberjacks? He was, yeah, he had did that.
Speaker 11: This is how I, this is how I.
Speaker 4: But these songs hadn't come out, but Kujo and Timo the Lumberjacks was on outcast Heels as far as the next up and coming two man group in a Land of rapping.
Speaker 1: So it's so it was like, fuck, we gotta let's make him a group. So y'all. So they were group first, the.
Speaker 4: Wood Group, but instead of having another two man group coming after after Howard two man group, it was better to be like, instead of having Gift solo and Silo solo, want we do a four man group or whatever, like, because these guys were with the Nucleus that's where the Goodie Mob came from. Kujo and album to Goodie Bag was absolutely man listen.
Speaker 3: So since you kind of brought it up or at least pointed to the word to the white elf in the room.
Speaker 1: Here, you are, just walk back in. I have a question. No no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 3: I'm trying to phrase it in a way where it's just not I'm asking a dumb question. What Obviously you guys are now legacy producers because you've been doing this for like three decades and there's always been talking there and that it's been happening for the last two or three years, where you know, there's obviously Earth Earth Gang is heavily influenced, and it's hard not to be you know, not spoke to them. They were like, yo, we were like nine, ten, eleven years old when this shit's coming out and now so obviously you're now seeing the results and whatnot. Has there ever been a conversation about like you guys working with them, like just from the current crop of today's producers, like who Gang Yeah, oh.
Speaker 4: Man, I got a great story. Orlando McGee, that was our intern.
Speaker 1: It was his group.
Speaker 4: He was somebody that he wanted to work with, but he wanted him to be around us. So we can tell them how not to act like us so much so we can make push them to being a little more rik.
Speaker 1: I love them guys, but I was a think that it takes you three albums didn't get you together to take that off.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you see what happened to rariy my cousin DJ working with Rari right now. Rari was a he was a part of the twenty year anniversary. But when they put that stick, that that that that challenge on you you the next Outcast.
Speaker 1: It's just like people people expect a ten year, ten year line of work.
Speaker 4: Outcast started with Southern playlists, the calact music where they were just proving to New York that they can rhyme. Then that had to double down on that with at Yelling's equiminal. They went crazy creatively because the balls were hanging too.
Speaker 1: What I'm saying.
Speaker 4: We had plaques on the wall. It was like there was work. It was right, we was. We was dropping when Tupac was dropping. We was dropping. When when whoever the Wu Tang, whoever was It's gonna be big numbers this week. Fuck outcasts just dropped. It didn't happen like you wanted.
Speaker 1: Words.
Speaker 2: I always said, Yo outcasts. I don't know if y'all did roaches and rats?
Speaker 1: Was that y'all?
Speaker 4: Oh man, that was a banger and that was broke?
Speaker 1: Oh god, that was a jewel. That's a good one. That's a good only on like YouTube, that's a good one. It was probably ten years old when it came out. Whenever dropped.
Speaker 4: But that was one of those good like Bens of Beamer, Benz of Bmber that we ended up using on the New Jersey Drive. But that wasn't original version of it. I'm telling you, that wasn't even the original version. That was like the original that was original vibe, but it was, but it was, Yeah, it was a Parliament sampling. You just learn more about sampling and like like fuck, we can't.
Speaker 1: Y'all can't use them.
Speaker 2: Y'all Outcast the Outcast soundtrack game because like the higher learning Joba.
Speaker 4: Pobe and that was our That's how we learned because like like we went in on a that's sp but it was stiff though, and it was Grid and we was like it was like, fuck man, we didn't take advantage of that opportunity, you know what I'm saying, Like even though we did, if we put out something with Big Rube on it, it was we gotta but it was like and we got paid good.
Speaker 1: John Singleton loved us from that day.
Speaker 4: Fourth every movie he had he called us to be like Yo, he wanted Sleepy to be the whole soundtrack for Chef.
Speaker 2: Because he loved he loved the Sleepy the album so much he flew me to New York to talk about it. I had to me, Hey, we're gonna do the whole thing like the Chafts soundtrack, gonna be Sleeping Brown doing the whole Cheft things, just straight score, like the whole you know, just and I had crazy ideas.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm gonna say l a read.
Speaker 11: When the Face got the soundtrack, When the Face got the soundtrack. I swear to God that we got the director of the movie we got is Gay's blessing. But I do understand the politics of Sleepy is not this is before.
Speaker 1: I can't wait.
Speaker 4: I believe I can't wait. So they was like concerned with Sleepy big enough to care. But we knew seventies movies and back then that.
Speaker 1: Was my ship.
Speaker 2: That was I was so excited to do it, Like I wish I could play you some.
Speaker 1: Of the songs that we worked on. Work. It was insane. You got the shaft, I got a problem. But that was clever. That was good. It's good. That's what it was with a camera.
Speaker 3: So all right, is there truth to the rumor? My manager told me the story, and I didn't believe it. That the way that you guys handled the twentieth anniversary concert, because I know the white elephant in the era was whether or not Dre would join you. And the whole thing was like give him and then he'll show up. So the whole plan was like, don't say nothing to him, and then three hours before he's like on the FLA, I'm coming, I'm coming. Is it truth to the rumor? That's how y'all handle it, like basically.
Speaker 1: To be real simple with it. We told the promoters.
Speaker 4: We was like, if Andre has to be here, we don't want to do it, you know what I'm saying, Like like we want y'all to want us as the Dungeon family without him first, because because it was just the fact that we were respecting his wishes, like like I said, I don't want I'm saying, huh, she's about to show for one music fest, do that. It's because and those guys they was like, man, got big Boy, gotel all right, and then we started rehearsing. We took it serious or whatever. Then we got a phone call. It was like y'all, y'all trying to do this ship what I I mean, y'all could.
Speaker 9: Have asked plan worked, but the plan worked in the sense of just get it all in place, like like get make sure that we can do this because Big Boy and Clo was killing it already with touring.
Speaker 1: Like the way they work, it was working.
Speaker 4: So it was like really trying to get cool Breeze a shot, wish doctor shot. So it was like the best part was that those cats took you know what I'm saying, those cats was getting more money to perform by themself than to take to take what they took perform with us. Then Andre said, man, you know, I was like, can y'all get some more money? Like I say, he'll do it. So it's like it worked out for him. It's like we had already got what they said they had, but we said, what we.
Speaker 1: Have to do too many songs? Yeah, and you know he could be cool. He was good. Man. He killed it.
Speaker 4: Man, he came in and like and and honestly that brought us a sense of family and the sense of like we were seriously.
Speaker 1: Like, we got to do it without him.
Speaker 4: I hate it, but a lot of the ship is jamming without him, but some of the ship is jamming harder with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah. We actually did a tour without him and it actually did great. But that showed that one music fast show. Wow, that's like, that's something more than that. That's memorable. That that's something Right now. I think we still holding the vid. I think we still got the video footage today. I think we're speaking. I think we got to put we're working with we're about to try to put that out.
Speaker 3: So is there a scratch that you have not itched yet or are you satisfied we haven't scratched yet. Yeah, thank you, correct, I don't I don't know it.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm struggling right now because you know, the guys want me to do a new album. But at the same time, yeah, no, no, no, I'm with that. But at the same time, I've been through so much with labels, even though this time is us and that's great, but my heart been broken with so much, so many damn labels, that it's kind of hard to get the energy to really truly want to do that. Like I want to produce people now. I want to produce more now than be an artist. Truthfully, what I'm gonna do, I'm gonna do it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, man.
Speaker 2: I did the session with Joy. I wrote a song with her. This has been a couple of years ago. She came to my crib. She played me some stuff for yours.
Speaker 1: Bro Let that be.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was jamming then, it's still jamming. This was a couple of years back. But nah, it's not really fucking great man. But I love I mean, if I do, I would love to do some. I mean, me and Ray we've been funking with We're doing some stuff and it sounds great.
Speaker 1: I just need to be twelve shot to make me want to go do it. I feel you you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: Look, I'll say this much and I gotta close it. But you know, we we've been doing this for six years. This is this is our first episode in the Flesh in almost three three years. Like you know, the pandemic basically had us on zoom. So you know, for the most part, when we do legacy artists, they're closer to their sixties and seventies and their memories are shoddy and they don't recall that song or the stories are not exciting. I will say that I will not take for granted how awesome this episode was, man, and that you guys really.
Speaker 1: Straight up no man, like for real. You know.
Speaker 3: I'm also a little salty that it took me like thirty years to have like a real conversation.
Speaker 7: With you through I'm about to say, well, y'all ever work together?
Speaker 1: You know, we see each other and pass it. We were tour with each other to them. But you know what I'm saying, what's up? Basic?
Speaker 3: But I no, no, no, And people always think like, oh, he's so staying office.
Speaker 1: But I think in my mind.
Speaker 3: I want my first This is always my dream inter action where I get to because I look, the first time I messed Q Tip, it was like this episode and he avoided me for seven years because he's just like, here's like a journalist, like like just be regular dude, Like stop asking me about like my drum patches.
Speaker 7: So you had to get this out so y'all could be cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because I think if you need people out like in the in the outside.
Speaker 4: World person, there's a place. There's a place for the nerd, right, those kinds of conversations. Because I'm very, very very impressed with the with the wealth of knowledge, with the whole to.
Speaker 7: Happen like this for you to be impressed.
Speaker 1: No bro like you. No, we are fort.
Speaker 4: We are student, and you are like the face of one of the faces of hip hop. How Snoopy is like your faces out there that we're proud of.
Speaker 1: I am proud of it.
Speaker 2: Once again, congratulations on the award. Thank you. You killed it with the movie.
Speaker 1: I love it. I watched. I told ray Man, we gotta watch. This is insane.
Speaker 2: I appreciate its beautiful and think and I just want to say, man, y'all y'all brother's music got me through like so many tough times, man, like I'm a Day one fan to the end, like every you called it, every.
Speaker 1: Love y'all brothers, man like straight up, well that said, ladies and gentlemen, or and be half of the great you may die talked about you the intro. The intro just talk about recording that song. We just have to be like two minutes. And why do y'all give these brilliant ass interludes Like.
Speaker 2: But that's what makes it dope because it's like it gives you just because you want more.
Speaker 4: The night y'all, we just ran it backwards. I think Dre was that's when he was playing with this sklimba or whatever. But we took that hold on, we took we took I think we took at Yellien's forward and ran it backwards to make them.
Speaker 1: Then we wrote.
Speaker 4: Thing Happened, something that was on the album that was going for it, and ran it backwards whatever you know, and it's so beautiful, put the piano on and and then we got peached.
Speaker 1: Just say, because her voice was such so monumental to us at that time. Shout out, yeah, shout out to all of them.
Speaker 3: Do you think they were having like a seance with a whole bunch of candles in the night time?
Speaker 2: That joint and the the hold on be Strong intro with four point oh singing on it. Yeah, like y'all all, y'all intros, man, that was like textbook I was.
Speaker 6: It's really a community affair with everybody you with, That's what happens. Put them in use however you can use, you know what I mean?
Speaker 4: And Big Boy and that's what I feel like Big Boy did the most because with money, but he kept and kept he kept that spirit alive even when the little will he would take him on tour. I was, yeah, what not not even just purple ribbons his his touring when it was Outcans touring. They would keep these guys alive, even if was just on the road or whatever. So by doing that, you keep your skills struve. You're right when you as long as you stay doing music, you're gonna you're gonna write some music. You're gonna come up with something refresh. Did y'all never cut any breakers on Scar on Bubba Sparks album. I mean, Scar wrote the hook for Ain't Life Grand was like my twin at one time, like he was totally we.
Speaker 1: Got songs that we haven't released, that we're going to release all we want to hear.
Speaker 12: I love going to well Ladies and Gentlemen on Behalf Yes, Yeah, definitely on behalf of Sleepy Brown and Our New Sense.
Speaker 1: My favorite dude ever.
Speaker 3: Ye, thank you, brother on behalf of Unpaid Bill, Still on Sesame Street, Flo and Sugar Steve.
Speaker 1: My name is quest Love.
Speaker 3: Very grateful for this episode, very classic episode, and we will see y'all on the What Steve the next go round.
Speaker 1: What's Love Supreme is a production of iHeartRadio.
Speaker 3: For more podcasts from iHeartRadio, visit the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to your favorite shows.