Speaker 1: Welcome back to another episode of Is This a Great Game? Or What with the Hall of Famer Tim Kirkshin. I'm his son, Jeff Kirkshin. Dad, I had a late night last night, even though I have a two week old I was out at a concert for my country music radio job. We had an artist, Hardy, who you don't need to know who he is. It's okay, he's a country artist, he's rock artist. He kind of does it all, but Dad, we hosted a lookalike contest, so listeners all across the concert dressing as him, kids, adults, men, women, everybody to try to meet him. So whoever looked the most like him on voting got to meet him. And I too, did a lookalike contest with him, and quite frankly, I got to say I looked I looked pretty good. I looked pretty good.
Speaker 2: You looked a little bit like him, is what you're saying.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah. I I decided that if we're gonna do a Hearty lookalike contest, I myself need to try to look like him, and so I'm gonna put a picture up if you follow us on YouTube. I'm also gonna put it on our social media, but Dad, just so you can kind of see it's it's it's tough with the lighting. But he's clearly eight inches taller than me. But I dressed like.
Speaker 2: I'm just gonna say, is is he five feet tall? Because that's the only way you could look like him. There's a guy who's two three inches shorter than you.
Speaker 1: He's probably six even, maybe five ten, five eleven. But uh, it's just you know, it was just funny, and I'm sure that kind of stuff has happening across Major League Baseball. Maybe a giveaway they did in a stadium where you got to dress like, you know, Steve Carlton or something like that.
Speaker 2: Right, well, yeah, they've done all sorts of things. One of my favorite things evolves Tito Francona. Of course, almost everything involves Tito Francona. But he wanted to pope fun at Dustin Pedroia, his great second baseman, because they were absolute best friends when Tito was the manager and Dustin Pedroia was the second baseman. So Tito arranged for John Clayton, the late great John Clayton, one of the great football guys ever. And he arranged for John Clayton, who looks a little bit like Dustin Pedroia. I don't see I don't see it. But he arranged to have John Clayton like do a little video of Dustin Pedroia, like pretending to be Dustin Pedroia. And then they played it throughout the clubhouse, and apparently the whole place went crazy. They were laughing so loud. It was so typical of Tito to take you know, John Clayton, one of my favorite people ever, but a non athletic looking football writer, was playing the part of Dustin and pretending to be him. And Jeff, when you're playing baseball, the game is this hard to play. It's it's okay to have a little fun and poke fun, especially in people like Pedroia who could take it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Absolutely that. And and Tito is known for his clubhouse being a place of baseball, yes, of course, but also of fun. I mean he made those runs with those Red Sox teams and those Guardians teams and now that Red team who did not look like a playoff team for most of the year. You have to give a lot of credit to him and the clubhouse that he keeps. And we love him and he's a former guest of the show. We caught him in his retirement era that one year he took off, which was so much fun. That was a great interview, right.
Speaker 2: And and Brent Souter, who can picture for the Angels? Now? Who can impersonate like anyone does? The greatest Jim Carrey ever. I told you this that he can do a great Tito francona personation when he was with the Reds last year. And Tito told us his spring he said, you know, Suitor used to just come into my office and want to talk to me about things and everything. I don't think he ever really wanted to talk to me. I think he was just trying to work on his impression on my manners. So he would just stop in and say, hey, Skip, like what are we doing in the bullpen tomorrow or something like that. He was like working on his impersonation. I that's so brent Suitor to do that, because he's wicked smart and really funny and a great teammate guy. And Tito, of course, anyone can make fun of him and he will take it better than anybody.
Speaker 1: Well. I remember years ago spring training, Jonathan Papplebond did an impression of Tito Francona on Baseball Tonight with you guys.
Speaker 2: Right. Yeah, I was standing right next to him, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like eight thousand seeds, right, because that's what he's like, spitting him out while he's talking like Tito.
Speaker 2: It was his It's derekally funny. It was so so good. And again, gotta have a good sense of humor to play this game, because the game will tear you to pieces if you don't. I Jeff's speaking of a good sense of humor. I need one this week. You'll need one every day for the next twenty five years until your children are grown up. Okay, but I'm doing a lot of traveling here, Jeff, And I don't know why I found this kind of amusing, but I checked in the airport the other day and I had to show my ID and all this, and the lady behind that counter looks at my license, which my driver's license, which expires in twenty thirty three, which I didn't even know that, But she looks at me and says, just checking a few things. You're born in nineteen thirty three, correct, that's what she said. No, she read my license wrong, So I just I just looked at her because she really wasn't looking at me three years old. I said, I'm not yet. I said, yes, I am ninety three years old, and she, I guess, got a little bit of a kick out of that, but she was She apologized. I said, don't worry, I'm not ninety three years old. But that's what she said, born in nineteen thirty three. Yes, ma'am, I'm ninety three years old. That was really, really.
Speaker 1: That is hilarious.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: I remember a friend of mine's a bartender, and he said, you know when I can't remember well, I mean, obviously it's by the time twenty twenty hit. When he would check IDs, he said, I would just have to look at the nineteen for the and that was it. You didn't even need to look at the rest of the year because if you were born in nineteen something. And then it made me feel dad Like when I'm a grandfather and we're talking, like when it's twenty seventy and I'm seventy odds some years old, right, my grandkids are going to look at me and say, you were born in nineteen insert year here, and yeah, I was born in a different generation, a different decade, different millennium. I mean, my goodness, I'm gonna feel I'm ninety three, so nineteen ninety three not ninety three years old, and I'll be able to, you know, wear that until the end of the twenty first century, probably.
Speaker 2: Right, Jeff. A lot of travel this week for me, A lot of trips to Bristol for baseball, Tonight's Sports Center, a bunch of things, all good, no complaints here, But never forget what my dear friend Alex Wolf. I worked with him at Sports Illustrated, one of the great writers ever and one of the great basketball minds that I've ever seen. We were talking about all the terrible travel we've had, and I've used this a million times with you, Jeff, stealing it, of course from Alex Wolf. He looked at me once and he goes, Tim, Never forget traveling is a violation, and boy is it ever There's no telling what could happen when you're traveling. You might be mistaken for someone who is ninety three years old. How about that, Dad?
Speaker 1: Top three things you quoted when I was a kid. Traveling is a violation, Pumba, you are a pig and holgad. If I had to make three, you've quoted more than anything. It's those three.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Jeff, I was such a good teacher teaching. We use so many good lessons in life. Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: Well, I knew who's on first before I knew my alphabet. So when I went to kindergarten, people said, well, what's on second? And they said, ABC, I have no idea, but I don't know. He's on third base?
Speaker 2: Right right? Teacher would say I don't know, and you would say third base idea? All right?
Speaker 1: Why because we're not getting into him. He's our picture, all right, Dad, before we jump into the takeaways. Tomorrow's guest is gonna be iconic, so funny. I'm so excited to bring it to members of the family.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dear friend rich Donley will be our guest tomorrow. Rich is the greatest batting practice pitcher ever, and I don't think we've ever talked about great BP pictures on this podcast. He's also maybe one of the greatest third base coaches of all time. There is an art and a skill to being a third base coach. Uh. He tells the greatest stories ever. I've known him for almost fifty years, and few people make me laugh as loud as Rich Donley does, so tune in tomorrow. He'll tell you a bunch of stories about BP and about coach at third and you know he worked with Doug Raider and Jim Leland and he's seen but he was on the same team as Barry Bonds. Some great, great stories from Rich.
Speaker 1: Plus some Home Run Derby stories. You know, we're coming up on the All Star break and he, I mean, he is the OG, as we would say, you know what that means.
Speaker 2: Dad, offensive guard? Right, that's it.
Speaker 1: You nailed it. He is the offensive guard of the Home Run Derby. Nailed it, Dad, And so we're going to talk a lot.
Speaker 2: What is an OG? Jeah? What is it going to it? There?
Speaker 1: So technically means original gangster, but like it's just become like the original, like the first, the most important. Right when you think of the Home Run Derby, you can think of rich Donnelly because he was known as the guy who who was throwing VP for the Home Run Derby before it got to the way it is today. So that's what the OG means.
Speaker 2: Og original Gangster. Was there any reason, I.
Speaker 1: Take thousands of things, I didn't think Tim Kirschen would ever say original gangster?
Speaker 2: Yea, if it doesn't make any sense, how can that be a thing. If it doesn't make any.
Speaker 1: Sense, it does make that it's well, it's from you know, hip hop and rap culture. I'm sure it's from a song that I can't even quote at this point, but it basically means the first right, He's an original gangster.
Speaker 2: I got it.
Speaker 3: People, dehydration sucks. Quint's electrolyte stick packs to the rescue. I order them, I use them all of the time.
Speaker 4: Somebody who may or may not have had some adult beverages in their life. The next day, you know what flavor? I like watermelon, and I don't like watermelon. I'll go raspberry and it helps me to get my citrus salt in. But if I do, it helps me to get back to normal, feeling good and ready to go the next day.
Speaker 3: Yep, tough workout or dry mouth in the morning, whatever it is, this is going to help you out. Quint always has the best deals for you. You can go on their website and see a number of products. We're talking about not only a product that tastes great but has zero sugar options that are also Stevia free. Give your body what it really needs to stay hydrated. Go to quints dot com slash foul for free shipping on your order in three sixty five day returns. That's qui n ce dot com slash foul for free shipping and three sixty five day returns quinns dot com slash foul. These statements have not been evaluated by the Feud and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
Speaker 1: Let's jump into the takeaways, Dad, what do you have across Major League base?
Speaker 2: All right, So the White Sox beat the Royals the other day twenty two to one, and they had a ten run inning. And Jeff, we have had seven ten run innings this year. So the only season in it was in two thousand and five in which there were more ten run innings before the month of July was in two thousand and five when there were eight. So, Jeff, it's odd to me. I'm confused and I'm intrigued that I say every week on this podcast, how does anyone get a hit anymore? But once guys start to get hits, that just seems to snowball. And they scored ten runs in an inning seventh time this year that a team has scored ten runs an inning. Do you have any thoughts on this, Like, why does this happen? Teams can't score any runs these days. It's so hard to get a hit, and then all of a sudden they're thrown up ten in an inning. What is that?
Speaker 1: Well, it's all or nothing. And I also feel like in the element of keeping our pitchers safe, I don't have the stats to back this up, but I do have what I believe to be kind of an opinion. When it comes to pitchers, you're staying in longer when it comes to not starters per se, but like relievers, like just leave him out there, he'll give up a couple more runs, because at that point, when you're giving up five runs, the teams are saying, we're gonna lose this game anyway, right, because we're not going to come back because it's so hard to get a hit. So I feel like these relievers are taking more and more damage out there before they get changed out to prevent injury and running too many pitchers at one time, right, I mean, like you're throwing thrown position players.
Speaker 2: That's a good point, right, And position players are giving up some of these home runs and some of these runs. Once you get to a ten run inning, nobody hesitates any more to put a position player in. As I told you, Jeff, when I first started covering late seventies, early eighties, you would see one, maybe two position players pitch during a season. Now it's all almost every night you see a position player pitch in order to keep the real pitchers healthy. I understand, and I think this next note is, you know, kind of connected. Also helped me here. But Hunter Goodman of the Rockies hit three homers in a game the other day. So he's the sixth guy this year to have a three homer game. We've had four of them in the last twelve days. Is this the all or nothing thing? Also, do you think that we know they're going to the play thinking damage where let's hit it in the upper deck as opposed to a soft single to left field? Do you think that's where we are.
Speaker 1: On this one thousand percent we're swinging for the fences or we're striking out and going back to the digout's that's baseball in twenty twenty six.
Speaker 2: It's no doubt, all right. The other thing we've done on the podcast, Like every week, Jeff, least at least about ten weeks, I have asked you to name three five hundred home run hitters who never hit three homers in a game. I think we did this last week. Let's see if you can remember.
Speaker 1: Davidez, Yes, definitely one of them. For Thomas No, well, he.
Speaker 2: Might not have, but I don't know that. Gary Sheffield and Raphael palmerow all hit five hundred homers, never hit three in a game. And yet we've had four guys do it in the last twelve days. And speaking of explosions, Jeff, you're a big Phillies fan because you live in PHILADELPHIAU and Emily loved the Phillies. I think it's great. So the Phillies became the first team ever, Jeff to hit a go ahead Just finish the note, Jeff, first team ever to do what?
Speaker 1: Hit a go ahead home run in the ninth inning in three straight games?
Speaker 2: Jeff? That is I mean, this is why I love baseball so much. Is that things happen that make you slap your forehead, things happen that you've never seen before. Well, in this case, no one has ever seen is because no one has ever done that before.
Speaker 1: And here here's the embarrassing part of the note. Every single night I went to bed before the ninth inning because I have a two week old son sleeping in the bedroll.
Speaker 2: You right, and you have have to get up at four thirty to go to work.
Speaker 1: Every day I'm up at three thirty. I leave the house at four thirty. So every morning I open my phone, I open the box score, and I go, oh my gosh, they won, and I'm happy. Night two, Oh my gosh, they won, and I'm upset because I didn't watch it. Night three. Morning, next note, I go, oh my, I'm apoplectic. I'm so angry that I didn't stay up at that point.
Speaker 2: Come on, So the day after the third game in which the Phillies hit a go at homer in the ninth against the Nationals, of course I saw the Nationals against the Orioles in Baltimore, and I saw Blake Butterra, thirty three year old manager for the Nats. Really smart guy, really good guy, and has done each job with that team so far. So I see him, and essentially the first thing he asked me, which was right away, was how many great notes did you get out of that our last three games. Now, Look, he was crushed, he was furious. He was I said, did you even sleep? He goes, I haven't slept in three nights. That's how much those games hurt him. But because he loves baseball, he is intrigued that we've played for, you know, one hundred and fifty years of baseball and what just happened in those three games had never happened before. Even though it happened to his team and nearly killed him, he was still intrigued by you do you find that to be healthy for a manager? I think it is.
Speaker 1: I think losing sleep is something that we don't talk about enough when it comes to our baseball players. I mean, you know, you've talked about players who say they feel like they're never going to get a hit again when they go on to a slump and they're having trouble sleeping and they're traveling. But if you love the game, you got to recognize, like, this is crazy that this would happen. But yeah, when you blow that many saves, it's a little tough to.
Speaker 2: Be the right And another really healthy thing that that happened while I was talking to Blake but Tero and I had a nice chat with him. After about fifteen minutes, he looked at me and said, how well do you know Buck Showalter? And I said, well, I know it better than almost anybody. I talked to him all the time. And Blake but Terra said, I would love, love, love to talk to Buck Showalter. I've never met him before, but I would just love to pick his brain. And I found this to be very healthy that a thirty three year old manager isn't walking around like, hey, I'm one of thirty now, I'm smarter than everyone else. He is saying I need to reach out and talk to Buck so I can learn more about my craft, about the game and everything else I don't know. I thought I was very encouraged that any young person in the game today would reach out to someone who's my age, sixty nine years old and say, I really need to talk to him. So I hope them up. I'm not sure if they've talked yet, but I thought that was great. That's just me.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's a sign of maturity for sure. I mean, you can't doubt that he wants to learn and pick his brain. And that's just the love of the game. It's love of baseball. And we've had Buck Showalter on the podcast twice and every time I learn something, every time I'm sponging it up because he's just got a wealth of knowledge in such a great perspective and a great storyteller.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, all right, Jeff, we had a rough week for defense this week in baseball. Now, look, let's be clear. These guys are so amazing athletically, you know, they get to balls that nobody got to fifty years ago. They jump over the fence and make catches, they make diving throws, they make throws diving catches, they make throws that you can't believe. So let's be clear today's player are They're more athletic than they've ever been. But like the Mets, we'll get to them in a minute. The Mets made six errors in one game, Jeff, and all four infielders made an error. In the same game. The Yankees had such a terrible game that Cam Schlitzler gave up six runs, all of them unearned, so the only runs scored against the Yankees in that game were unearned runs. The last time the Yankees gave up six runs or more, all of them unearned, was in nineteen thirty one. And then the Orioles, who I saw the other night, had a terrible final inning, had a difficult trip to Anaheim, but they had a terrible final inning, and a scout friend of mine told me it was like watching kids during a snowball fight. That's how the ball was being thrown all over the place. And again a former manager told me, you know, Tim, just face it. And I don't believe this, but he said, face it. Defense what players do in between there at bats, And he was trying to say, we don't concentrate enough on defense today. I think the defense is really really good, but when you see lapses mentally and six errors in a game, it makes you wonder, you know, do we care too much about how far we can hit it as opposed to how well can we catch it and throw it? Am I being too critical here?
Speaker 1: I firmly believe omar Viskel, I don't have this indirect knowledge, probably doesn't like watching a lot of Major League Baseball games anymore because the defense of the game just isn't an emphasis anymore.
Speaker 2: Right, defense right, And they should, especially with as hard as it is to pitch today. Speaking of the Mets Jet, we have to mention that they fired their manager, Carlos Mendoza, and they're moving on from here. It's not just at this writing, at this taping jet that they're thirteen games under five hundred since June thirteenth of twenty twenty five, when they had the best record in baseball they have played, they have They are thirty games under five hundred. They are seventy three and one hundred and three since June thirteenth, twenty twenty five. You know, they're twenty sixth in the league in run scored, they're twenty seventh and starters era and again they've been just crushed by injuries Francisco Lindor and Lon Soto and Luis Robert Junior. But they have a long way to go, and I just don't see them making the playoffs this year. You see the same thing.
Speaker 1: Well, and also in NL East, where the Marlins are surprising everybody. I mean, as of taping, they won four straight. The Phillies have turned it around since getting rid of their manager, Rob Thompson and going towards you know, a new era, and they've been playing great baseball. And of course the Braves. Braves have always been good. But now they're top the NL East and they, you know, slowing down a bit. But I mean that's three great teams you have to get past. And not to mention the Nationals. I mean, they just dropped three straight against the Phillies, but they were over five hundred for a good portion of the season. So it's it's a strong NL East, and I just don't see the Mets pulling away, not this l y.
Speaker 2: I agree. And we can't do a takeaway without talking about Jacob Mazerowski because every time he goes to the mound, something happens that just makes you slap your forehead. So this in his last start, he threw a pitch at one hundred and five point five miles an hour. Chet, I mean, what is the end to this? Is someone going to throw it one hundred and ten miles an hour someday? I can't imagine, but I never imagine anyone throwing it at one hundred and five miles an hour. So I worked with Adam Attavino the other day on Baseball Tonight. Former pitcher went to Northeastern. Really really smart guy and can break down the mechanics and pitching just about as well as anyone. So he was still He told us off air the other day that he had to break down the Mizowski fifteen strikeout, no walk, one hit complete game, in which he threw ninety five pitches, the last one at one hundred and three miles an hour. So he said, I had to break it down, And he said, and I couldn't because it was just it was just too easy. Here's what he said. This guy throws so fast that nobody can hit it, and because he throws so many strikes, you have to swing at it, and therefore you swing and miss. That was his analysis on one of the greatest pitching performances ever. And you know what, he's right, Jeb, you could talk about all this other stuff, and I talk about the armslot and all that stuff, how different it is. And he six' seven and extension one hundred and, four one hundred and five and you can locate. It that's the end of the, analysis AM i?
Speaker 1: Right that's. It and when you're that efficient and throwing that many, strikes, right you gotta. Swing so oh that's. Incredible, hey It's Jeff. Kirchin let me tell you you've got to go to Seat geek for your next concert because they have everything, Concert Major League baseball, Tickets World cup. Tickets they have it all waiting for. You just download it today because they have over thirty five million. Downloads they're the number one rated ticketing app seat. Geek they're MLB's official ticket, marketplace so you know you can trust. It it's, incredible seventy thousand events listed on seat geek right now waiting for, you and not just sports, tickets concerts and. Festivals you, know a buddy of mine was in the parking lot of a country concert the other night with. Me he bought his tickets on seat geek in the parking. LOT i, mean come, On they make it so easy for you to enjoy the, shows and we're gonna make it even easier for you right now because we've got a code for. You Get territory. Ten make sure you put that. In ten percent off your next set OF mlb tickets at seat. Geek but if you click the link in the, description it's going to automatically load for you so you can use it. Later thank you to our friends at seat. Geek. Again territory, ten ten percent OFF mlb tickets on seat. Geek all, right, dad let's go into the court. Gins what do you.
Speaker 2: Have, well it's a little, late But Dansby swanson of The, cubs hitting ninth in the, order basically drove in eleven runs in a doubleheader the other day against against The. Mets Ron santo had The cub record with ten in a double header In july nineteen. Seventy swanson also drove in fifteen runs in three games against The. Mets they played a four game. Series he didn't drive in a run in the fourth. Game but the only other players to have fifteen RBIs in a three game stretch against the same team Are Reggie, jackson lou gerrig And Tony, lazeri All hall of. Famers that's What Dansby swanson. Did eleven RBIs jeff in a double he but you remember the Great yogi Bear astat from the minor? Leagues how many runs did he drive in in that double? Header and his Granddaughter Lindsey right absolutely confirmed all of.
Speaker 1: THIS i can't remember the.
Speaker 2: Number Yogi barra drove in twenty three.
Speaker 1: RUNS i THOUGHT i was twenty.
Speaker 2: RIGHT i went To yogi AND i, Said, yogi how is that? Possible and typically and he only hit one homer with twenty three RBIs and a. Doubleheader he had twelve in the first, game eleven in the, second And, yogi Typical yogi just, said, well every time he came to the, plate the bases were, loaded and then he hit like three three run, doubles three three run. Triples it was just. Insane it was absolutely. Crazy so that's, it all. Right, So Kyle, schoreber your boy was intentionally walked with nobody on base in the ninth inning the other. Night so he gets an intentional walk with nobody on, base and you, know you just don't see very much of. That but remember two thousand and, two just to show you how Great Barry bonds was in his, prime he got walked eight times in one season intentionally with nobody on. Base is that stunning to, You, Jeff you're a.
Speaker 1: Threat it's the greatest compliment a player could. GET i really believe that in eight times in one season For Arry.
Speaker 2: Bonds. Right willie McCovey used to own the record for most intentional walks in a season with forty, five and Then barry came along and had a season in which he had one hundred and twenty intentional. Walks one hundred and. Twenty he had more intentional WALKS i believe than any nationallygue player that year had walks. Total he had one hundred and. Twenty, yeah that's very bonds for, you all, Right, JEFF i got a kick out of. This Eric louer of The dodgers the other day pitched six hitless innings in. Relief you, know it's one of those opener situations where he's the second pitcher in and he pitched six no hit. Inning SO i Called frank from The elias to, say who's the last guy to do? That And Ken walld To chuck of The a's did it in twenty twenty, three so it's only been two. Years three. Years but three days After Eric lawerd, Did Ian seymour of The rays did the same. Thing he came into a game and pitched six and two thirds hitless. Baseball is that amazing that it hadn't happened in three years and the guy two guys did it in three.
Speaker 1: Days that always shocks. Me, DAD i definitely didn't think it would have been three. Years but you know who it reminds me of is is our Guest Kent. Murker, right that very much reminds me of. Him, now he was a starter and a believer and a closer in his. Career but that just sounds like A Kent merker stat something he was involved, in, right.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes Kent murker's so, funny all, Right Dylan. Cees On, Saturday jeff of The Blue jays had a ten strikeout game and he only pitched four and two thirds. Inning so that's the third time in his career that he has struck out ten or more in less than five. Innings and he's the first pitcher ever since the mound was moved to its current distance in eighteen ninety, three to have three different starts in which he had ten or more strikeouts in fewer than five. INNINGS i, mean he's the only guy ever to do. That he's done it three. Times it's, amazing isn't.
Speaker 1: It that's. Incredible that is, nuts all, Right.
Speaker 2: Jeb, now speaking of, incredible you know not how MUCH i Love James wood of The. Nationals his, Dad Kenny, wood is a good friend of. Mine we played old dog basketball for, years so, Please i'm not picking on. Anyone this is the game we play. Today But friday NIGHT i went to The Nationals orioles, game and that Night James wood struck out twice and therefore now has more strikeouts in his. Career and he's in his third, season not a third full, season because we're. Not we're halfway through this and didn't play a full season three years. Ago he now has more strikeouts Than tony gwyn did in his. Career So Tony wynn played twenty years And James wood has now played part of three. Years and he struck out for the four hundred and thirty fifth time to Pass Tony, gwynn who struck out four hundred and thirty four times in his. Career that's, amazing is it.
Speaker 1: Not it's a different. GAME i, mean we look at how many times did Did Ted williams strike out in one? Year And Joe DiMaggio And Yogi. Berra it's just a different world right, now right And jeff speak speaking of that, NOW i think the guys AT Opta, STATS i don't.
Speaker 2: Know who those people, are but they are. Great they're on the internet all the time and they come up with some MAD i think they came up with this stat BUT i have absolutely confirmed it That James wood has now faced more different pitchers in his major league career Than Ted williem, did So James wood has now at this at the taping as of the other, day had faced four hundred and fifty six different pitchers in his major league. Career AND i, repeat he's in his third year And Ted williams in his major league career faced four hundred and forty seven pitchers. Total, now so this kind of Supports this is How James wood has so many, strikeouts more Than Tony Gwinn and this could be said for a million guys in the. Game i'm just Using James wood as an. Example but when you see a different, picture like you go into a, game you see a guy five different pictures and you never faced any of. Them how hard do you think that, is especially when most of lever throwing ninety five to one.
Speaker 1: Hundred you, Agree, well you look at teams that have so much depth in their pitching, rotation they will throw a starting pitcher for way less innings and then put another quality starter in there because the more often you hit against the same, picture you start to recognize their. Mechanics so If Ted williams is only facing x amount of pictures And James wood has done that in two and a half. Seasons he's always got to try to figure, Out, okay who is this. Guy i've never seen him. Before that's crazy to think. About it's another, Portion. Dad it's not just the, speed it's not just the ability of the, pictures but it's the diversity of those pictures that they're. Facing they don't have time to learn a picture Because Ted williams FACED i don't, Know i'm making up a, number maybe the same picture ten, eleven twelve times in a, season and he's, like, OH i know this. Guy and when You're Ted, williams you don't forget what a guy's throwing where he's throwing. It because he's the greatest hitter of all time when it comes to the science of the. Game for goodness, sake he wrote.
Speaker 2: A book on, it, Right, yeah so. Jeah but let's be, clear as AS i always do defend the guys that came, before as people are going to, say, Oh Ted williams couldn't hit, Today look look out few pictures he. Faced, no, no, No Ted williams would figure anything. Out and this stat is just there to provide some context on What james would and today's hitters are up. Against. Not, Oh Ted williams had it easy facing these guys over and over. Again, No i'm not buying. That i'm not all. Right last, Thing, JEFF i BET i got twelve text messages emails from people who, said did you notice the matchup in The dodgers padres? Game Jack Dryer Face Gavin? Sheets so we had The Dryer sheets. Matchup, look we had it last. YEAR i was all over it last year and it happened two games in a row over the. Weekend, like how great is? That SO i don't want to be insulting and say when people are saying did you see? It, yes this is WHAT i live, for Our Dryer sheets. Matchups so it's just. Beautiful and you know how MUCH i love the names of the, game so it's really really.
Speaker 1: Good it really is. Great we got so many. Messages if you ever see a great, matchup you can go to Great game or what dot, com scroll down message us directly. There that's how my dad AND i can see your messages and respond to you. Directly we love people obviously who dms on, social but we get a lot of messages. There it's hard to get through them. All our red site is the real place to get to us great game or what dot? Com all?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 1: Dad so moving on from our, questchns we go to on the state and baseball. History what do you have for?
Speaker 2: Us all? Right nineteen seventy, Seven Willy stargell hit on this date home run number four. Hundred so what did we learn About Willie stargell in the last couple of? Weeks he hit the most? Homers When jeff in the decade of the. Seventies oh, remember, Yeah REMEMBER i went to a. GAME i sat in the. Stands the knucklehead behind ME i don't even, know asked a trivia question to anyone who cares to and, said who hit the most homers in the? Seventies AND i knew the answer Was Willie. Stargell and he looks at me and he, goes, good, Guess but that's. Wrong he, Said no one's ever gotten this question. Right the answer Is Dave. Gigman well it Wasn't Dave. Gigman the reason no one ever got it right is because he had it. Wrong So Willie stargell hit the most homers in the, seventies and on this date in nineteen seventy, seven he hit number four hundred And Willie stargell was A hall Of fame player and one of the great team leaders ever. NOBODY i, MEAN i love being Around Willy, stargell and his teammates loved it even more THAN i. Did that's how great he, was all, Right. Jeff on this date in nineteen, Ninety Dave stewart And Fernando balezuela threw a no hitter on the same. Day wo pretty. Odd the last time that had Happened Hippo vaughn and Fred tony in nineteen. SEVENTEEN i remember that. Night it was crazy that there were two.
Speaker 1: Hitters you remember the nineteen seventeen. One you're, saying, right.
Speaker 2: Well i'm ninety three years, Old. Jeff as we've established from my trip to the airport the other, DAY i, said, YES i was there all. Right two thousand and, Five Craig bigio was hit by a pitch for the two hundred and sixty eighth, time which Passed Don baylor for the most in the modern. Era only in baseball in the modern era be defined as nineteen hundred on that's the modern, Era. JEFF i remember Asking. Bigio i've asked him many times about getting hit all the, time and he, SAID i promised, You, Tim i've taken more advil than anyone in the history Of basel because he got hit all the time and he played the. Game SO i checked With frank from The elias and for the first time he, Said, TIM i can't help you with. That we don't have advil in our data. Bank. Here is that the stupidest thing you've ever? Heard?
Speaker 1: Now adville consumed ac not a stat line on the box score On Baseball.
Speaker 2: Reference oh, BOY i remember Asking Don, baylor don'll be two hundred and sixty seven times that you got? Hit which one hurt the? Most and Remember Don baylor was a, big, big, strong tough man and one of the great Guys i've ever. MET i, SAID i said his nickname Was. GROOVE i, Said, groove which one hit the? Most and he looked at me and he, goes none of? Them and then we moved. On that's just how he looked at, it standing, There take it and run to first. Base so that was. Great on this date in twenty, Twelve Aaron hill hit for the cycle for the second time in a two week. Stretch two cycles in two, WEEKS i, mean that's that's pretty. Hard to. Do on this, date in nineteen thirty, Six Harmon killbrew was. Born he's one of the nicest People i've ever met in the, game one of the great power hitters of all. Time hall Of famer of, course five hundred. Homers let's see, If, jeff you'll never get this. One our Friend Bruce brown From, saber who's an absolute. GENIUS i can't even begin to tell you how UNCOMFORTABLE i am WHEN i have to talk to him because he knows so much more than me and everyone. Else he has come up with something called double unique about. Players do you know what a double unique, Is, JEFF i THINK i told you, THIS i can't. REMEMBER a double unique player is someone who has a first name that no one else in the history of baseball has and a last name that no one in the history of baseball. Has And harmon killer is a double. Unique Killer brew sounds right because how many people are Named. Killbrew BUT i was, surprised and this was a couple of years. Ago he told me this that there's no other player major league history with the first Name. Harmon So Harmon killerbrew is a double. Unique And Bruce brown has this entire list of players like hundreds and hundreds of them who are double, uniques Like, Urbina like you got a really weird first name and then an odd last, name But Harmon kilbrew is a double. Unique does that surprise you at?
Speaker 1: All, no it, doesn't BECAUSE i mean the first name that came to mind for, me and this is total fail was Yachti, Air like no one has that. Name but then of Course. Molina he's got multiple brothers played in the. Game SO i couldn't even come up with another double. Unique why don't we ask our. LISTENERS i know there's a list out, there And i'm not gonnaquiz. You i'm gonna ask our listener send us who you think is a double unique Across Major League. Baseball maybe we'll even get the commissioner to chime in as. Well not The commissioner Of, baseball he's really. Busy but we'll get our dear Friend. Mike, sure great game or what dot? Com give us a double unique that you love in this great game of? Baseball?
Speaker 2: Okay last this date in baseball, History. Jeff on this date in Nineteen Moonlight graham played only in the only game he ever played In Major league. Baseball you know he never got into. Bad he went and played right field for The New York giants or a couple innings in nineteen oh.
Speaker 5: Five no one's called Me Moonlight graham for fifty.
Speaker 2: Years one are the great movies, ever, Right.
Speaker 1: JEF a lot of people don't realize he he's a real. Player it's based on more or less a real name and a real, player and that stat line that they put, up it's. Real AND i absolutely love that, Movie. Dad it is our favorite baseball, Movie field Of, Dreams AND i remember the MOMENT i figured out that this is not about. Baseball it's about a father and a. Son if you build, it he will. Come and we're all thinking Shoeless Joe. Baby well sorry spoiler, alert but it's been like thirty, years so not quite a spoiler alert. Anymore it was his, dad Ray. Kinsella, OH i just love.
Speaker 2: GOOD i love it all. Right so it's a tribute To Moonlight. Graham i've never we've never used this on the, Podcast, jeff so it's, fresh even THOUGH i used this a long time. Ago, anyways all The All Eclipse, team because we have to Have Moonlight graham on. It our catcher on The All eclipse team Is Fernando lunar L u N. A. R Razor shines is our first. Baseman Razor shines was on our our list the other day right for The All Summer. Team Razor shines made The Team tim list two weeks in a. Row has anyone else ever done?
Speaker 1: That you better do The All barber team because we could have them on that next.
Speaker 2: Week very?
Speaker 1: Good, wait, dad let's have. You it doesn't have to be All, barber but can you come up with a Team? Tim, sorry now you're not gonna be able to sleep the rest of the week that Involves Razor. Shines you name it, well but it has to start With Razor, shines meaning like he has to be on the. Team so it could Be All barbara, team All Sharp instrument, team whatever you want to call, it but that is that is the Assignment i'm giving you and, family great game or What i'm on?
Speaker 2: It i'm on, it. Okay our second basement Is Moon. Mullen our third basement Is Hector. Luna our shortstop on The All Eclipse, Team Alvin Dark Moonlight graham is one of our. Outfielders of, Course Jorge solaire another, One Wally moon another. One Sky bolt is our designated hitter and our pitchers are Sun Wo Kim Ken cloud and this ONE i stole from one of our. GUYS i don't know who it, was but whoever Was Carl, hubble WHICH i thought was pretty Cool Hubble Sonny. Gray that makes, sense And JEFF i went back and looked at the list THAT i sent out On twitter like three years ago when there was a real, eclipse AND i LEFT i Left Blue Moon otum off the, list and no one was really angry about, it but they, like you can get angry On. Twitter but like everyone, said how could you leave blue Moon otem? Off, Well i'm not leaving him off this time on The All eclipse. Team the team tim On Is this A Great game or? What so that is My All eclipse, team all based on the fact That Moonlight graham was made his major his only major league appearents on this date in nineteen oh.
Speaker 1: Five so let's let's do it. Again Dad Razor shines next episode Of Is this A Great? Game Or what if members of the family want to come up with a team great? Game or what Dot com? Involve Razor shines more creative to better and we'll shout your team out next week or at the end of this, week because you know we're doing team tims that absolutely every single episode at this point a, Week.
Speaker 2: Jeff you know what kind of pressure that puts me under to come up with two a. Week And i'm working on one For july the, Fourth so that's gonna run this, week and it's may be the dumbest one, ever But i'm really working hard on. It probably too, hard but that's.
Speaker 6: Okay the wheel wheel up up curteed Who.
Speaker 1: All, right so thanks to your suggestions, again no, intro just, me uh your.
Speaker 2: Suggestions does everyone know what the wheel Of fortune mean the? Show everyone knows, that, Right it's a takeoff on The wheel Of, fortune, Right.
Speaker 1: Yeah for? Sure, YEAH i think it's it's common enough to know for. Sure this is the wheel Of. Kirkchain we've put your suggestions in my terrible handwriting onto the. Wheel we're gonna spin it And dad has to riff off of whatever we land. On are you ready pop?
Speaker 2: Up? Yes all, right here we.
Speaker 1: Go that's. WEIRD i don't ever call you pop up on The, pope BUT i do call you pop up exclusively outside of the.
Speaker 2: Pocket, okay here we. Go most people. Do, yeah most people call me poor pop.
Speaker 1: Up poor pop. Up Oh World? Cup how perfect is?
Speaker 2: That?
Speaker 1: Dad do you have any Soccer World cup baseball?
Speaker 2: Stories, Well i've told you how many great soccer players have played in the major. LEAGUES i told you That omar. Vs. SCALE i went to do a story on him in nineteen ninety five and HE i went out in his garage in his house In, seattle and he just dribbled a ball on his foot for like three. Minutes it was it was. BREATHTAKING i, MEAN i Can't i'm not a soccer, player never, was but it was pretty. Impressive AND i, Said, omar when's the last time you tried to do? That he, said like ten years? Ago and then he just picks up a ball and bounces it off his. Foot all, right, Now i'm gonna Set i'm going to ask a stupid hypothetical for, This. Jeff and, again this is just a compliment completely to all soccer players and soccer. Teams IF i picked up the best baseball team made out of former soccer, players, okay so all of them have to have some sort of soccer background to be on this baseball. Team playing soccer and they played against A World cup team where it's a real. Competition would the final score of that game Be let's say they play THE us team or any, Team, argentina, anybody and it's.
Speaker 1: Final all of these baseball players are in their, prime, right so.
Speaker 2: Right these are athletic. Guys they've all played soccer, before but they just haven't played in a long time because they're major league baseball. Players so and, again this is a compliment to soccer players, only not anything. Else would the final score be five to, nothing ten to, nothing fifteen to, nothing twenty to, nothing thirty to, nothing or something higher than thirty to. Nothing what would be the final score of a soccer game if The argentina team in The World cup were to play the best of the baseball player what's the final? Score?
Speaker 1: JEFF i think it's fifteen fifteen.
Speaker 2: NIL i.
Speaker 1: DON'T i don't think the baseball players are. SCORING i, think, well.
Speaker 2: We know they're not, Scoring. Jeff and that's not a blast On these are the best soccer players in the. World you think they would only score fifteen.
Speaker 1: GOALS i think eventually the all baseball team would just load the box and just say like we're we're not even going on the. Offensive, Right we're just gonna we're just we're just gonna line up by the goalie and hope that they don't get it past, us, right all defense AND i mean, granted their defensemen aren't even gonna have to worry about doing any work.
Speaker 2: Either so, yeah who would your who would your goalie be on the on the baseball player? Team how About Aaron?
Speaker 1: Judge Aaron judges.
Speaker 2: Athletic six?
Speaker 1: Hunter Was Tory hunter a soccer? Player or was he a Football he was a football.
Speaker 2: Player it was a football. Player, yeah all, right all, right so that let's throw it out there to our. Listeners and, again a compliment only to our soccer, players not a rip on baseball. Players AND i think it's at least twenty five to nothing at. Least BUT i don't know soccer very. WELL i don't know if YOU i don't. Know all, right keep, going all.
Speaker 1: Right let's spin the. Wheel here we, go next, One oh landed On World?
Speaker 2: Cup?
Speaker 1: Again here we, GO, pa, Guys, Dad, yeah.
Speaker 2: Public address guys are kind of lost in baseball. History and some of them are just the, greatest Like Sherm feller In boston was an absolute. Icon At Fenway park because that incredible raspy voice that he had an, evening boys and, girls it WAS i can't do any of. That he's one of the most famous of all. Time of, Course Rex barney worked In baltimore as THE pa guy in all those years THAT i covered The, orioles And rex was famous for saying whenever anybody caught a ball in the, stands he would, say give that fan a. Contract BUT i think the GREATEST pa guy of all time has got to Be Bob, shepherd who did The Yankee games for all those. Years And Bob shepherd is A english lit, professor one of the smartest people in the. World the language was so important to. Him the advice he gave To jeremy shapp once was you can never talk too. Slowly so When jeremy's learning how to do, television that's What Bob shepherd told, Him, like not only should you not rush through, anything don't ever do, that but you can never walk but talk too. Slowly So i'm going to give you the worst impersonation in the history of. Impersonations this is My Bob shepherd now.
Speaker 5: Betting full of The. Yankees the shortstop number Two Derek jeta number two pretty, Bad.
Speaker 1: Jeb that was pretty. GOOD i found it interesting that you had to have your eyes closed the whole, time but the impression itself was pretty.
Speaker 2: Good all. Right So John, miller the, hilarious Hilarious hall Of fame, Broadcaster he, said what If Bob shepherd is like, this like wherever he, goes like if he goes to order? Breakfast is this What Bob shepherd says in the? Restaurant he, says.
Speaker 5: Yes, MA'AM i will have the number two eggs over easy with toast number two?
Speaker 2: Two is that how he would order? Breakfast John miller does that. IMPERSONATION i almost peeded my. PANTS i was laughing so. Loud so don't ever underestimate how important THE pa guys are in baseball.
Speaker 1: History, McKinley i need your. Help this is my, daughter. McKinley she's almost. Three come, here. BEBY i need you to spin this wheel for.
Speaker 2: Me, Okays oh, boy, McKinley hope here we. Go put this down for a.
Speaker 1: Seconds she's been delivering me pizza slices as we.
Speaker 2: Record ah Thear, okay all, right, McKinley this is the.
Speaker 1: Wheel Of Kirchin, okay can you spin the ready? One, two? Three what did we? Get july? Fourth good job?
Speaker 2: Kidding oh, my that is, great. McKinley and we're coming up On july the, fourth And, jeff you can't talk About july the fourth unless you talk about the famous game where The braves and The mets played On july the, fourth When Rick camp hit the home run and the game ended at four o'clock in the, morning and they shot off the fireworks at four o'clock the, morning And Ron darling got the final out of that. Game the only reason we're bringing this, Up jet is if you haven't listened To Ron darling on the podcast last. Year the entire podcast was about That, july Famous july fourth Game mets And. Braves so that's Where i'm gonna leave. It there's no story THAT i could tell that can top anything that That Ron darling said that, day because he summed it up. Perfectly he captured it. Perfectly it was. Amazing way to, go, McKinley Hope july the, Fourth so she did at.
Speaker 1: Job all, right we have time for one, More. DAD i, mean this is the most friends we've.
Speaker 2: Gone let's do.
Speaker 1: It here we Go wheel Of kirchin final spin head first. Slides what do you got for?
Speaker 2: That, okay, yeah this is a little bit. TECHNICAL i don't THINK i have any really great story, here BUT i just know That Ricky henderson slid head first like almost every single time he stole a, base and he stole more bases than anyone in. History Lou, brock of, course stole the second most bases of anyone in. History and he always went feet. First And Luke brock told, me he, SAID i used my feet as a, weapon Like i'm going in there hard with, spikes and my legs are, strong and they don't want to tag me If i'm coming in that. Hard so there are two ways to look at the head first. Slide DO i go with feet first or DO i go? Headfirst AND i always Thought Louke brock made a lot of, sense But Ricky henderson told, Me, hey the fastest way to get there is head. First And Roberto alomar used to tell you used to slide headfirst into first. Base almar is one of the greatest base Runners i've ever. Seen he could, fly but HE i wouldn't say, routinely BUT i saw him a lot of times slide headfirst into first. Base AND i, Said, robbie most people people will tell you it's not the fastest way to. Go and he, goes, well you're, right because most people don't know how to slide head. First but he, SAID i know how to slide head. FIRST i know how to use my momentum and just take it into the. Slide and he, said but other guys have to slow down in order to get their body. Ready you should never slide into first base head first unless you really know what you're. Doing does that make sense to, You, Jeff.
Speaker 1: Yeah AND i know this isn't a head first. Slide BUT i always love when THE nfl and college football season's on and you hear the broadcasters, say, well you could tell that kid played baseball growing up if they make a great slide giving themselves up, right or if they make a terrible, one you, think, yep they never stole second in a little league game in their life because they never slid.
Speaker 2: Right sliding is an, Art. Jeb people practice. Sliding Buck showalder always told us you have to be able to slide on both, legs meaning you have to know how to slide on your left leg on your right leg, hook, slide everything, else but headfirst is a very interesting. Dynamic i'm all for sliding, headfirst but if you don't know how to do, it you shouldn't go headfirst into first base because it's the only base that you're allowed to run.
Speaker 1: Through, so if you learned two things from the podcast, today sliding is an art form and traveling is a violation that and is this a great game or what? Right and we also learned that Pop up is ninety three years, old so that's. Great born in nineteen thirty. Three, dad you look. Great y'all look. Great thank, You Jeff, well thank you so much for, listening Rich donnelly on the podcast, tomorrow for, watching listening all the good. Stuff we really appreciate your support and as, always thank you for being a part of our. Family