Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News. America's war with Iran is now in its fifth month, with only a few brief weeks of peace in between. That means the largest oil and gas supply shock to the world continues to deepen. Early on in the war, as you heard on this podcast and so many other places, analysts were worried about the oil price shooting up to two hundred dollars a barrel, causing a global recession and stoking panic in the markets. That didn't happen. The oil price didn't even reach one hundred and thirty dollars a barrel. This is zero. I'm Akshadharati this week, Where did the panic go? And what happens next? Joining me to discuss the impacts of the Iran war on global energy markets is Javier Plus, a Bloomberg opinion columnist covering energy and commodities. He's also a co author of the book The World for Sale, Money, Power, and the Traders who barter the Earth's resources Have Welcome to Zero. Thank you for having me, So let's go back in time. On March fifth, barely a week into the war, you wrote a column title, this Isn't an energy crisis, at least not yet. Now, fine, mons On, you were right. We haven't quite seen an energy crisis of the scale in oil markets as we have seen in the past. But for the wrong reasons.
Speaker 2: Oh absolutely, for the wrong resource. I'm very happy to admit that I was right for the wrong resource, which effectively means I was wrong. So in some ways I got very lucky that these didn't turn out as a full energy crisis. There were some elements on that column that I think I was on the money at the world. All that elements I wasn't. I think that the biggest one that I miss is I thought that the White House was conscious that this needed to be a quick conflict, that they were going to go in and out rather quickly. That has proven completely a mistake. What I think I got more right was that this was a crisis, that there was a big deal for the oil market. There was a significant deal for the LNG market, but doesn't mean the gas market. The gas market is a much larger piece that the LNG market. And I said that there was a risk of analyzing the crisis of this shock if the global economy was still in nineteen seventy three seventy four when the first oil crisis hit. And I think that the global economy is very different for a number of reasons, and we can go into them. What surprised me, and I think that we had Bloomberg opinion work quite quickly to recognize of the importance of it, was the role of China in this crisis. China pre war on the sea worn market. This is the rue oil that this boat by Danker was buying anywhere from ten to twelve million barros a day depending on the month. I would say on average eleven million barrows a day in June, China boat less than six million bars a days and more than a fifty percent reduction in total oil imports from kind of pre war levels or forty forty to fifty percent drop. And that really changed the market completely because China acted as a balancing mechanism. I call it the invisible hand of the oil market. It was very visible and very directed by Beijing. The price have gone uppen, and certainly it is a bit painful, but it has not been a complete flown, blown up crisis that people will complain and and looking at the global economy, nothing suggests we I mean inflation is contained, is under three percent. Interest rates have not really gone up meaningfully. Yes we are. We look at the bond market that you know, the highest number of yeares, but there are many other reasons for that. The stock market keeps going up, Unemployment remains low. Nothing really says crisis, and certainly nothing similar to the crisis of nineteen seventy three, seventy four or any other oil crisis that we have had seence. But yeah, I was right, but only for the worn reasons.
Speaker 1: Let's go through the numbers here, because you know, two hundred dollars a barrel was floated. Now we're recording this on August third, and the price of oil is below eighty five dollars a barrel, and you know, Iran and the US are apparently talking again. But it did not even go beyond one hundred and thirty dollars at its very peak.
Speaker 2: In the war.
Speaker 1: You talked about how China was about five million barrels a day of sort of buffer provided taking, essentially not taking that supply and allowing the rest of the world to not panic as much. Another five to seven million barrels a day came from oil rerouting that happened where Saudi's got about five million barrels a day going outside hormones into the Red Sea, and same thing the UA about two million barrels a day. That takes you about twelve million barrels a day. There was the release of the Strategic Petroleum Reserve, which goes between two and three million barrels a day. That still leaves two or three million barrels a day those.
Speaker 2: Comms commercial inventories. We have been draining commercial inventories the market also at the beginning of the war. Now clearly we know that it was over supply, so supply was running above demand and the rest of the world has not kept juice. A steady oil production in the Americas is booming the United States. When you count every barrel in the US, and I like to count not usee the crude, but also condensates and natural gas liquids because we count them from the demand side. When we talk about one hundred million bars a day of demand, we mean all total oil liquids. You count every barrel in the US. The US is producing a million barrels a day more than a year ago. You look at production of Brazil is app twenty percent year on year. Venezuela is doing more, Argentina is doing a bit more, Colombia is doing a bit more. And you know they are incremental. I mean, so a lot of these countries are doing fifty thousand baros a day more, which is almost a statistical noise. But you put all of that statistical noise together. You know, the Americas from the north of Alaska all the way to Tierra del Fuego in Argentina probably is producing about two million bars a day more than a year ago. That's making a difference. I give you an example a country that has been suffering for a long civil war and a lot of unstability. Livia. Livia production last month. Probably the data is a bit fuzzy, but Livia most likely produced the most oil last month since the very early days of the revolution in twenty eleven twenty twelve. A lot of that has helped on the market.
Speaker 1: But the big story is the China story, is the five million barrels a day story. What do we know and what do we not know about how China pulled us off?
Speaker 2: I think that we know very little. So what we know is that China has reduced its purchases of seaborne crude significantly. That's what we know that China pre war was buying somewhere around eleven million dollars a day, and that in June it bote less than six. That has increased a bit to probably six and a half in July, but we are still massively down. This is the less purchases by China in at least ten years. How China has done it, that's when it became conjecture at best, and I'm not going to claim to know how China has done it. One of the problems is that China does not provide data on his inventories. It does not provide even an estimate of his demand for oil. Many other countries provide estimates every month in Europe, every week in the United States. China simply does not publish any information. So everyone is trying to guess what is happening, and we can see things. I mean, clearly, demand has come down. Clearly the Chinese economy is not enjoying the best of the days. But to justify a drop of forty percent inputs of oil, I don't think so. Probably China is releasing sant oil from strategic inventories or commercial inventories. It seems that son oil has been released, but not a significant lot. There are a number of elements. Probably China have a lot of stock piles of refined products and they've been running that down. They probably have a lot of stockpile on plastics or plastic commodities they may have been running down. China is unique in the rest of the world that has a big chemical industry that you coal rather an oil or gas as a fed stock. Probably they're running that harder. But is that much capacity to completely explain everything. I think they may explain a portion of it, but not the whole thing. So those are elements that may play role, but we don't really know.
Speaker 1: In one of your columns, you estimated back of the envelope that if China did drain some of its reserves, it's about one hundred million barrels, So you know, that's less than a million barrels a day in the last five months. Some analysts like Rory Johnston talks about four hundred million barrels that China may have contributed, including commercial inventories, and.
Speaker 2: I like the range is huge. The range is huge, and one of the problems is. I'm not going to dispute. I have told to Rory about that. You know, he probably is right. We simply don't know, and we are relying on on a lot of these estimates are based on satellite data that rely on or measuring the shadow of tanks, etcetera, etcetera. So you know, the margin of error is significant. It's also clear that the Chinese economy is very different than the Chinese economy of ten years ago. There are a significant number of evs and significant number of electric tracks, et cetera, et cetera, gas tracks, so all of that may have played a role. But the that the energy transition has helped China. But if China was able to reduce demands so much because they can't run on ebs, what it was not doing it in January rather than now. So I think that has also played a role.
Speaker 1: Staying with conjecture, why do you think China did it?
Speaker 2: I think that China has done it, first of all, because it has no interest whatsoever on very high prices. At the end of the day, China is the world's largest oil important so it's going to be affected. I don't think that China has an interest on an economic crisis in the Southeast Asia where it depends a lot on the well being of those countries for his own well being. I mean, I don't think that this is China being particularly generous, is helping others to help itself just generally. I think that China wants a healthy global economy. But then a lot of this happened at the same time that China and the United States were having a strategic dialogue. So is there anything under the table that the Why has said, you help me here, I will go easier on trade on Taiwan? We simply don't know. I mean, to pretend that the oil import level of China has not been part of the Washington Beijing conversation, I think it will be naive. But is that the key? Simply we don't know.
Speaker 1: It is very interesting. I mean, this White House has not been as leaky as the first Trump White House, but we do get pretty good reporting coming out of the White House. So the fact that we've not heard anything on oil price conversations with China is interesting. But there is an aspect of this which to me is still confusing, which is that if we are running down reserves and in places like the US, for example, reserves are not their lowest level since the early eighties. Yes, the panic hasn't shown up yet, but how long do you think this war can continue before that panic does happen?
Speaker 2: Well, very much the and so for how long China can sustain this very low level of demand into the international market. It also very much depends of and that is also a big question of what we are not a two hundred and we are at below eighty five today, and it is that the straight of hormones is close, but an awful amount of oil is leaking every day through the Strada hormos what we call the dark shuttles. These are oil tankers that they go dark. By that we mean that they are not advertising where they are located. By international agreement, every big oil tanker has to have effectively a GPS broadcast into the wall. Here I am, and this is my position, this is my speed, and this is my draft and my name.
Speaker 1: Don't come and crash into me.
Speaker 2: Please don't crash with me. Please. I carry two million bowels of oil, So that would be a very bad idea. Those those transponders that they are called the I system can be disconnected and they have disconnected. So tankers go dark and they shuttle between the terminals inside the Persian Golf and the Gulf of Man where they run the boot with another oil tanker. They get alongside, and we call that a ship to ship transfer, and they move the oil from one to the other, and then one tanker goes back to the Persian Golf to pick up another cargo, very dangerous. Some sailors have died because of that attacks and the other tanker goes into the high seas to the destination we reckon that anywhere from three to five million barrows a day of crude keeps flowing on these dark transits, and that has been important. So if the dark transits continue, if China keeps a lead on his purchases, we can carry on for a while before we exhaust our researchs. And have a column recently mentioning that there is no doubt that the reserves are down, both strategic and commercial, but they are not completely out. Strategic reserves. China has at least a billion barrels. The International Energy Agency member countries have probably a billion barrels left on the reserve. Japan and South Korea are sitting on a significant amount of crude oil the US is low. But in some ways there is a lot of emphasis on the fact that the Strategic Petroleum Reserve of the US is at his lowest since nineteen eighty three. But we knew this the day that the SPR release was announced, because we can do the match. We knew what starting point the reserve was, and the US promised to release one hundred and seventy two million barrels, so we knew that by the end of that period we were going to be this low. That's no commun as a surprise. A lot of people are making what I would call exaggerated claims about what comes next, But I also think that I would emphasize the SPR was designed to be used in a moment.
Speaker 1: Of crisis exactly, and it's been used, and.
Speaker 2: It's been used. We may have our own political views about whether these wars should have been started or not, but we are in the situation that we are, and the war is ongoing, and there is a supply shock, and the playbook to react to our supply shock is to use the SPR.
Speaker 1: You know, you talked about the fact that maybe Iran overplaced its hand by trying to keep the Street closed for a longer time. But if it does that, you know there are the reason which the oil can get out. More pipelines are already being announced. We did see though, after the twenty twenty two energy crisis, which you know in your own words was a full blown energy crisis because the price of oil, gas, coal and electricity all went up simultaneously.
Speaker 2: Sorry I'm interrupting that, but we in some ways we have forgotten how bad it was. I mean, around this time in twenty twenty two, the price of electricity on the spot market in Europe was close to one thousand euros per mecab at hours around one hundred today. Twenty twenty two, particularly on the electricity market, was so extreme, so painful, that only effectively European governments bailing out businesses and families. We went through it, and then I will say we got quite lucky. But yes, I agree with you. Twenty twenty two was very different.
Speaker 1: And we saw a reaction from importing nations. At the time, I mean, Europe was the worst it and so Europe's reaction mattered a lot. From twenty twenty two. It did all the things right, It doubled down on renewables. It tried to electrify as much as possible. It got energy from wherever it could get lerng, it tried to get its cold supply chain sorted out. It did lots and lots of things. But Europe has money and they could react in a way that allowed them to address these critical supply shocks this time around. A lot of developing countries have been hit by that supply shock. And what have we seen in the last five months. We've seen record in imports of solar panels and electric cars and batteries, all coming from China. So maybe China didn't plan for this, but China is certainly benefiting from developing countries choosing to get more and more of these clean energy resources. Do you think countries become especially important countries become wary of this reliance that they have on fossil fuels as a result of these two crises that have happened in this decade, and try and find faster ways to transition.
Speaker 2: I think that what we are going to see is that countries are going to get wary of importing energy. Certainly, fossil fuel energy in many places is important, So I think that some fossil fuels are going to suffer. I really struggle to see a number of countries trust in the LERG market going forward, because they have been hit twice in four and a half years, and I think that they will say, well, that was more than enough. But just generally, I think that there's going to be a tendency to try to be as self reliant as possible on energy that could mean, and obviously that self reliance is very different on fossil fuels, which is a flow. You need to buy those molecules time after time after time that relying on say solar panels, which you may need to impose from China, but you buy them once and they run for the next twenty years or twenty five years. The same thing with probably batteries, wind power, et cetera, et cetera, so many countries. I'm not saying that, you know, perhaps relying only on a source of solar panels like China, that also brings some challenges. But green energy is very different to fossil fuels in the sense that one is a flow and the other one is a stock. So I think that's important. What I think we're going to see is trying to what I have called and other people have been calling the rise of domestic energy. So if a country has access to domestic energy, they're going to try to maximize that energy. That the solution is going to be different for different countries. So for some countries it's going to be they have solar, let's try to do as many solar panels. Yes, we need to import them from China, but then once we have imported, they produce electricity for twenty years, so that's good. It maybe call a maybe domestic oil and gas production. I mean has one other aspect that we have not mentioned on China. Chinese gas production is an all time high oil production that deep about ten years ago has returned and China is producing about five to six hundred thousand dollars a day more than it was used producing a number of years ago, and that about six years ago, so that's also important. So I do think that we are going to see a movement to support sources of energy that one can produce either at home or perhaps regionally in countries that you have close political and economic relationships. But generally I think that the one that loses power here it's going to be oil and internationally trade gas by dunker After.
Speaker 1: The break, how will the strait of horror moves closure affect global food prices. If you're enjoying this episode of Zero, please take a moment to rate and review the show on whichever platform you're listening on. Recently, listener MPL twelve nine wrote the interview with Gerald Butts of Eurasia Group was a cracking episode of a consistently excellent show. Thanks MPL twelve nine. You have seen many energy crises in your time covering energy energy crises. Some of them can have many long term impacts, but one other aspect of the energy markets is the forecasting, and the forecasting can be fun but also can come to bite you. So I was writing a story about the fact that this year will reach three terror Warts of Soul, and no one really noticed because you know, it's another terror award. We just had another Terrra award two years ago, so okay. But when the first Terrawart was installed in twenty twenty two, we had a BLOUE mcginney I put out in an analysis and at that time they were expecting solar to reach nine terror awarts after twenty fifty. Today they're expecting that to reach in twenty thirty six. So clearly solar has been like a very surprise story, even for the most bullish people. But from your perspective, beyond solar, what has surprised you about the energy transition?
Speaker 2: I mean, the one that you know that I have been writing in Qualott is the resilience of coal. Call is the source of energy that refuses to go away. The fact that probably in twenty twenty six we are going to see record the amount for call. Yes, for sure, as a share of global energy that shared is going down. But what we care for the planet is the amount of tones that we are consuming and therefore burning, and the amount of CO two that we are releasing. That keeps surprising me because for the last ten years we have been talking about when coal is gonna pick, and every year keeps going up. And I was just looking and you know, this is a snapshot, and I think that you know, I'm very happy to raise my hand and say that I have been the first one who has underestimated solar. I mean, solar has been and it is the fastest growing source of electricity worldwide and is doing rather well. But if you look for example, as at of the analysis of the International Agency did on electricity markets two years ago, and it was just looking at what at the end of twenty twenty four, what the world looks like in twenty twenty six. They underestimated the amount of coal and overestimated renewables. In part that's because we have had a bad period of wind generation. We have had low win speeds in a number of markets and that has had an impact. But that is interesting and obviously coal will not be doing as well as he's doing this year. Have the work have not not not started? To me? That is one area that is surprising. The other area is how well a number of developing countries are adapting to solar. Pakistan has been a poster poster child of that. Therefore, and in some ways because solar in some markets in Europe, degrees are struggling to adapt with that. We don't have enough battery, the connections are not good enough. Voltage control can be a challenge with some you know of the earlier technologies with solar, and and obviously solar rams up very very quickly in the morning and then you know pigs and then you know there has a big cleaflike drop in the evening at times when also the demand is going up. So it's very difficult to accommodate that from a great perspective when you have a nice young white or a big real young greed like in the US. But in some developing countries it's just basically families putting a few solar panels in the roof and when they have power, they have power. When there is no power in the evening where they don't have power, but it's working, it provides enough energy through a number of hours. And there are a number of developing countries saying, well, yes, I mean solar has difficulties, particularly we don't have enough batteries, but it does seventy five percent of what we need. We don't need ninety nine point ninety ninety nine perfection. Seventy five percent is good for us. And that has been also a very interesting kind of lesson that at times we do not need to engineer or price for perfection. That they are a number of developing countries that that's seventy five percent is good for them. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the other thing I think, you know, maybe five or ten years from now, the thing we'll talk about where maybe our forecasts were less optimistic than they could have been. Is batteries. So if you take there's a lovely chart of all technologies that once they reach ten terrawot hours of production, and how quickly did they get to five hundred tarot hours? And so nuclear, gas, oil like they all like follow pretty similar trajectory. And then wind also actually follows a very similar trajectory. But then solar breaks out and really speeds up much faster than anything else. And now we're already seeing early signs of batteries being even faster. Because batteries are not producing energy, they can absorb any form of electricity from the grid, and so that allows them to be just much more flexible in doing what we do.
Speaker 2: The batteries will change, and they are changing already degrees. But I mean just generally technology. I mean, it is an important lesson that energy is about engineering and every time we develop, I mean in so many ways. And this is also why they shock twenty six is different to previous shocks in oil. We have shades, which you know, I mean you have told me when I started covering the market twenty five plus years ago that the second largest provider supplier of oil to Japan in any given month was going to be the United States. And I would have said that you have completely lost it, because at that point twenty five years ago that sounded completely impossible. I mean, the US was the largest oil important, his production was declining, and however, in June, Japan imported a third of his oil from the United States. And that is all into the engineering progress that it has been made to develop shale. So can we have another crisis ten fifteen years ago that it will be very different because we have electri five even faster than we thought. Batteries are playing a huge role just because engineers have achieved new breakthroughs. I think that that's absolutely possible. And one thing that I have learned the hard way, and I have got many times rang is do not bet against an engineering You provide enough time and enough money to solve a problem, because they will solve it. And every energy crisis or energy shock creates a problem and an incentive for engineers to find effective, cheap ways to solve that problem.
Speaker 1: Now, you also think a lot about geopolitics because energy and geopolitics are so interlinked. All the time we've seen in China with this ability to be flexible on its oil imports, as you put it, a new oil price weapon from China. But China also has all these electricity technologies that it's developing for itself and of course for exporting. What do you make of the conversation around the fact that the US, with its ability to extract oil and gas as efficiently and at the scale that it does, is more and more a petro state, not in the classic sense of an economic petro state, but as a power and China, with its ability to be a flexible consumer of energy because of its electricity and an exporter of electricity technology, is an electro state. Do you think this is a new dimension to geopolitics or it's just you know, overblown.
Speaker 2: No, I think that we have a new dimension of politics. I mean, the fact that the US is producing more than twenty million hours a day of oil has changed completely the equation of the oil market. The fact that China seems to be but we don't really understand the mechanics, but seems to be able to swen his oil demand has created what I have called a swing consumer, similar to the way that we used to call Saudi Arabia the swing producer. Because his ability to respond to our crisis increasing production. I really like it. A comment by Jason Bordov at A Columbia A guess of you on previous podcasts. He used to work at the White House and there the Obama administration, and Jason said that, and probably he knows that first hand because he was in government, that the first goal by a US president when there was an oil problem was to Saudi Arabia to react. And so maybe in the future the first goal is to Beijing to ask them to reduce imports so they can balance the market. It's very interesting. It will be interesting what happened with politics in the US. We have a new administration coming in about three years will be more friendly to reality, which is that you know, solar and guin are developing the batteries because you look at you look at Texas. Texas is a superpower on oil and guys, but it's also becoming a real player in solar and particularly in battery and flexibility on the greed. So that's where I am still a bit of an optimist about the US because the engineering capability of that country and the capitalist system. At the end of the day, the batteries in the US are being deployed because they make commercial sense. There is no much of subsidies here is just the power of row money and money is speaking and it says to invest us that this is a technology that you are going to make money. The investment is going to continue, and the engineering effort is going to continue, no matter what the White House is saying. But my only query with electro state on China is, and I know that you're not making that argument, but for some people, electro state means clean, and China still produce half of his electricity from coal consumes you put, I think that the wall is about one hundred and ninety four countries, and China consumes as much coal as one hundred and ninety three of those countries together. So yes, it is an electro state. The amount of electrification of his energy system is amazing, but a lot of that the electricity is coming from the own source.
Speaker 1: You're getting these very interesting examples coming up, and the energy transition is just a fun bit to follow. But you also cover other commodities, and while you're here, I feel like I need to ask you about, you know, fertilizer, which is also a commodity that used to come out of the state of hormones in significant quantities go to developing countries. Was something that developing countries were really freaked out about, especially growing into the growing season in the summer. Now you look at wheat market, or rice market, or soft commodity markets and a similar story is playing out. It's not panic.
Speaker 2: Why well, first of all, because there is a lot of domestic production. The global international market place a significant but not majoritary role on the fertilizer market. Prices went to a point where every fertilizer plan outside the strait of hormos went into max production, and that really have a big, big impact. We have some surpluses. China produce about eighty percent of his nitrogen fertilizer from corn rather than from natural gas, so China was insulated and thankfully the starting point from a number of crops like wheat, corn, soybean, rice was of several years of surpluses inventories. Global stocks of those communities were high, and therefore there was not an impact as we will have expected. The other reason is that a lot of people were trying to draw a parallel line in between the twenty twenty two invasion of Ukraine by Russia. And now the war between the US and Israel and Iran in twenty twenty six. Forgetting that. The big impact of twenty twenty two was the fact that the two countries at war, the country that was launching the world and the country was invaded. Those are two what we call bread basket countries. They are huge producers of agri cultural commodity. Is the case of the Middle East, there is no production of agricultural commodity is Indeed, one of the jokes of the commodity market is that Middle East countries produce hydro carbons to import carbohydrates. So that the world has not had an impact of reducing the supply of wheat of cone to the market. We're not out of the boots because we have an anno. And whether the impact is uneven and some countries receive more rains and perhaps they can have more production, others are going to have a deficit. And not every al Ninia phenomenon have played exactly the same way, but an al Nino weather phenomenon alongside climate change, and you know it is very hot this year, particularly in northwest Europe, that can be difficult and we can lose crops, and I have seen crops can get lost very quickly. We can lose twenty five percent of production in a matter of a few weeks. So far, so good. We have not had any significant losses. Most of the harvest in Europe is already done. A lot of the harvest in the United States and Canada has been done. Same thing in Russia. But you know, this is perhaps a compounding impact. We have high fertilizer prices, we have high diesel prices, and we have unstable weather that they could have an impact. So in the case of food, I will say, perhaps the war is not the most important thing, but I will keep a watch on a Nino and what is going to be the situation in early twenty twenty seven. An area on food commodities that we are having a huge impact is going to be in an aquaculture. And an interesting fact, the world consumes today more fish and seafood from aquaculture that from the high seas for wild catches. For aquaculture, fish meal is scret and that's effectively a small fishes like anchovies that we capture dry mail and produce the fed stock to do salmon, shrims, et cetera, et cetera. The price of fish meal has gone absolutely through the roof. There is a huge job in anchovy captures in Peru, which I call the Saudi Arabia of anchovies, and that is going to have an impact. So you fancy salmon of s rims. I have bad news because in six to nine months from now, we're going to see an impact. Also, you take Omega three dieted supplement as I do, because I'm reaching the age where I need every supplement. Uh, then you are going to find that the price of YOUU Omega three is going to go up quite a lot.
Speaker 1: And on the theme of sort of choke points that are not war related but are showing up, you wrote about the state of the River Rhine, which you know acts as a conveyor belt for so many commodities chemicals, oil, steel and of course to take coal into power plants in Germany. You know, companies like BASF are hugely affected when the Rhine is affected, and currently rhine is at a record low. There was a recent study from the researchers at the World Where the Attribution Group that concluded that the severity of the drought in the region was worsened by climate change. Do you think you know we're in this era where ESG is not the hot topic. You know, net zero is a political football. But do you think from a pure capitalism commercial point of view that corporations need to think are they underestimating the risks of climate change to their supply chain.
Speaker 2: I think that in the case of the Rhine, you see a huge attempt to adapt. We have a big drought in twenty eighteen and sceince. Then a new generation of barges have been developed for the Rhine where they can go even at the very low levels of water, but there are limits. I mean, like you may see that they just go down to effectively zero on the on the n aviation channel. So that doesn't matter how much advertation you do, you're not going to be able to transport anything. I do think that companies are spending a lot more time to prepare for this, but ultimately, you know, some of the companies that they are preparing for for for this situation, they may be contributing to the situation because there are huge consumers of natural gas for chemical production. Not that we have many other alternatives to to guys. I mean, the other alternatives for petro chemicals will be called the only kind of climate change more friendly at it you will be to try to reduce your consumption of plastics. I do see quite a lot of work now on resilience of supply chains just generally across the board, not just because climate change, but I think that that's one big reason, but just generally a lot of companies. You know, we were lucky least my generation. We kind of became into adulthood. The iron world has fallen, the number of conflicts was coming down. There was a time I ran the Africa there is for a short period at the Financial Times, and one of my surprises just looking at the Africa continent was how peaceful was about ten years ago when I was doing that job than fifteen years ago compared to what it was in the eighties. We really benefited from a bit of a used to be called the past Americana, and that really meant that supply changes were a lot easier. You could buy from point A to point B a transport without worry about civil water a coudeta, or whether there's going to be enough water on the river. Today, a lot of those assumptions from climate change to global geopolitics have changed and we are more in a fragmented world, more volatile, perhaps more dangerous, certainly hotter, drier, and everyone is having to adapt to that.
Speaker 1: I'm just going to make a note of this because this happened this morning. The Romanian Army carried out a control explosion to divert water to ensure that they could cool the nuclear power plant. So you know, it's also affecting the clean sources of power, the stable sources of power that we have considered to be you know, absolutely necessary for the transition.
Speaker 2: It's having I mean, like the droughts on the Rhine and the Danube are having a huge impact across supply chains and energy supplies. And what worries me is that as we are recording this at the beginning of Augos, typically both rivers and just generally every river in northwest Europe sees the low point of the year around the end of September the beginning of October, just before the autumn rains start. The whole melting of the snow has ended. We have had the whole summer period of limited rain. If we follow the pattern, we're going to see even lower and lower levels on every river for the next eight to ten weeks, so we do really need urgently rain.
Speaker 1: Given all this, and given the politics of climate change, do you see that you know, the awareness of climate change is now much more in people's consciousness. This is true even in the US, not just in Europe, but also in developing countries. Do you think at some point the politics comes together to try and maybe not in at zero by twenty fifty, but support climate action in a way that starts to really address the problem.
Speaker 2: I think that the awareness on climate change is widespread. I think that other than some pockets on some corners of the political discourse, the science of climate change is very well understood. But I also think that what is very well understood is that the course of adaptation, the cause of action, is expensive and it entails certain sacrifices. I cannot have a sense, talking to many politicians, even on the left in Europe, that our countries are not prepared to do what it will take for climate change if not everyone is responding at the same time. Was earlier this year talking to a senior European politicians on the left of the argument saying, I am absolutely pro climate change action, but if that's going to cost my heavy industry and jobs, and I'm just shifting emissions to another country. I just need to stop there. And I think that there is also alongside more acceptance of the consequences of climate change we all have seen how hot got this summer, and more acceptance of the science. But I think it's just universal or in a few kind of dark corners of the political discourse. I think that there is also a widespreyers acknowledgement that it comes with course, and that those costs will be significant, and I don't think that we as a society are yet prepared for comparison of those course.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Javier, thank you for having me, and thank you for listening to Zero. Now for the sound of the week. That is the sound of an oil tanker blowing its foghorn off the coast of San Francisco. If you liked this episode, please take a moment to rate and review the show on Apple Podcasts, YouTube, and Spotify. This episode was produced by Oscar boyd Our. Theme music is composed by wonder Lee. Special thanks to Moses Andam Laura Milan, Summer Maxwell and Alessa McDonald, I am Akshadarati back soon