Speaker 1: Hello, and welcome to another episode of Snake's Territory, part of the Foul Territory Network. Be sure to like this video, subscribe to our channel on YouTube, maybe leave us a five star review wherever you get your podcasts. I am Jesse Friedman alongside the one and only Jack Summers. We are both at Chase Field after this Diamondbacks win over the Minnesota Twins. A little odd that we're still in like two different parts of the screen here winds up being technologically easier for us to run the show from two different locations, but we are both at Chase Field and Jack we witnessed quite a few things throughout the day, of course, Diamondbacks with a big win over the Minnesota Twins by a score of nine to five. But maybe the larger storyline today Jack was just a whole lot of injury news across the board.
Speaker 2: It's been brutal. In the words of Tory Leavello, he did not hold back. He said, it's just been absolutely brutal the last twenty four hours, and I don't think there's really any other way to describe it. We've written about, we've talked about, you know, the importance of staying healthy and we've seen what can happen to a team, and it just seems like with the Diamondbacks, for whatever reason, when it hits the fan, it all hits at once.
Speaker 3: I don't know why that is. It just seems that they all come in such a.
Speaker 2: Compact period of time when these injuries hit, and that's certainly what they're experiencing right now.
Speaker 1: So before the game, we got some updates from Tory Lavello about Ryan Nelson and aj Puck. We'll get into those a little bit later in the show. Not great news with either of those guys, but the more immediate news during the game, both Michael Soroka and Jordan Lawler exited the game early.
Speaker 4: Soroka pitched a scoreless first.
Speaker 1: Inning, but then felt a grab in what was ultimately seemed a left glute discomfort injury. That was the final diagnosis that Tory Lavello just gave us when we spoke with him, and yeah, he threw one warm up pitch and felt something and didn't feel like he could throw any more warm up tosses. Diamondbacks aside to just go to the bullpen the rest of the way. Soroka will get imaging tomorrow Tory was sort of non committal about his status moving forward. He did kind of acknowledge though that Soroka is probably not going to make his next start. And then the other big injury report from during the game Jordan Lawler. In the bottom of the eighth inning, after running out an infield single, he suffered a right hamstring strain and he also is going to have imaging tomorrow. We did speak with him just a couple minutes ago, Jack, and unfortunately it did not feel like Jordan Lawler was feeling very optimistic. And of course he has quite a track record of hamstring injuries at this point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think they actually initially described as hamstring tightness.
Speaker 3: Of course he's going to get an MRI and see what it is. But like you said, you know.
Speaker 2: He injured his hamstring quite badly, you know, last year, and then he had to you know, come back from that again. I think he re injured it twice, or at least a second. I think he injured it and then he re injured it, and when he reinjured it, he was out for a much longer period of time. So you know, this is not great and clearly anything to do with the hamstrings. He was very unhappy about. Soroka was pretty down too. I mean, like, you know, he was very subdued. He's been through an awful lot in his career, you know, and he's worked so hard to come back and to stay healthy. You know, he's just got a workout and training regimen to try to keep himself as healthy as possible, and so you could just really see the disappointment and frustration on his face as well as Jordan's, you know, and especially, I mean, they're playing so darn well. I mean, Soroka's been you know, neck and neck with Erod for the best pitcher on the team. Jordan has been a breath of fresh air since he came back, playing athletically, running around, making plays. His bat was coming around, as he said, his timing was getting there. I just can't even fathom how this team overcomes this in the short term, especially with the schedule they have coming up.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's always tough to have guys go down with injury. It's particularly tough when it's two of really your best players. This season, at least for Lawler, when he's been healthy, he has been really everything you could have hoped for. You mentioned Soroka's injury track record. I know you tweeted out this injury log a little bit earlier in the day, and this was something that we talked about when the Diamondbacks first signed Michael Soroka. Maybe there is a world where he could turn things around and you know, get back to the pitcher he was when he first came up with the Brave, and that is exactly what's happened. I mean, he's been tremendous, but on the flip side, we kind of warned from the beginning, this probably isn't a guy that you're gonna get one hundred and seventy one hundred and eighty innings from. He just hasn't been able to do that really at any point in his career outside of his very first season in the league, and you see the log here with several shoulder injuries. Of course, there was the big ACL injury back in twenty twenty. He's had achilles issues a couple of times. So for Soroka, it hasn't just been about keeping his arm healthy. It's been about keeping his lower half healthy as well. And totally possible that this winds up being not a serious injury. But when you're already down Ryan Nelson and trying to figure out what to do there. The last thing that d Bacs needed was was any other starting pitcher to miss time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean nine IL stands for Michael Soroka. Looks like number ten is coming up, you know. I mean, if he's gonna have to miss a start, they're going to have to put him on the I L and use that roster spot.
Speaker 3: And you know, my guess is.
Speaker 2: Lawlor's probably gonna end up on the I L as well. You know, in his case, it might be a short stint if it's just a mild tightness or mild strain, but even a mild strain you're looking at a couple of weeks usually, so, you know, not great. I mean, if we come in tomorrow and find out that Jordan Lawler has missed the you know, won't have to go on the I L, that'll be great news. But I'm almost certain that Soroka will we'll have to hit the IL and for the pictures, that's fifteen days, not ten, right, So you're looking at you know, three starts basically at the least that he's going to miss, so very tough news for him. And very tough news for the Diamondbacks. Kind of a you know, bittersweet victory tonight. They played well, the bullpen was just incredible. I mean, you know, you think, well, they give up four runs, but I mean they had no warning. I mean they had to pick up from inning number two, you know, and so to be able to get through this game.
Speaker 3: And then the offense in.
Speaker 2: Corbyn Carroll, Holy cal I think this Corbyn Carroll guy might be pretty good.
Speaker 3: I think he can stick. What do you think, Jess, I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think I need to see more.
Speaker 1: I think I need to see him actually take the franchise lead in triples and not just tie Steven Drew, which is what he did with that triple there.
Speaker 4: In the eighth inning.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Corbin had an unbelievable game, three for four with a walk, four runs batted in. He continues to be outrageously good against left handed pitching, in particular. The two of the three hits and the walk as well came against Connor Prelip, left handed starter for the Twins today. So Corbin is really he's kind of been the engine jack that has held this team together. I mean, with kateel Marte kind of going in and out a little bit here, and I know Gabby Mourno's heated up, but he's also his time and and isn't you know, isn't able to play every single day as a catcher. And so Corbyn Carroll is far and away the Diamondbacks most valuable player at this point and coming into the year, I mean, we figured this could be a really big season for him, and he's delivered in that, on that and in every way imaginable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it was kind of funny.
Speaker 2: I was joking with him a little bit because you know, he was on TV, of course, and he's running around in the outfield catching line drives while he's mid sentenced talking to the guys on TV, and he just kind of all shocked. You know, it was all right, he goes, I'm glad I'm not an infielder. You know, that'd be tough to do that as an infield because of all against at your fast but in the outfield you have plenty of time to react. But I mean, you know, this guy, what a season. If I can't believe that he was eighth in the All Star voting. Hopefully, you know, Diamondbacks fans step up and at least bump them up a little but higher.
Speaker 3: But there's no doubt he's an All Star. He's going to make it.
Speaker 2: One note I wanted to say about this game too, you know, the bottom of the order six, seven, eight nine.
Speaker 3: I mean Nolan had two hits, scored a run.
Speaker 2: Ildemaro Vargas had a two run single, it was a pretty hot shot, got past a shortstop. Jordan of course had the two base hits, the bunt bass hit that he ended up leaving the game. Tommy Troy scored a run, pitche running for him. Lou James Gruver had a double and scored almost just missed a home run, and then Pevin Smith had a.
Speaker 3: Pinch hit base hit.
Speaker 2: So that's a lot of traffic coming from the bottom of the order, setting it up for the top, which is exactly what they've been hoping to get, and that's what really made the difference on the offensive side of things tonight.
Speaker 1: Diamondbacks had a ton of base runners in this game. I mean it was thirteen hits, four walks. Gabby Mourno reached on an air at one point as well, so I think that's eighteen base runners altogether, and even though there were some moments with runners in scoring position where things didn't go their way, especially early on in the game, Dbacks got the big hits that they needed to ultimately put up nine runs on the board and are able to come away with a win. Going back to Corbyn real quick, he made a very nice catch in the bottom of the second inning. I believe it was immediately before a solo home run by the Twins that would have been a two run shot had Corbin not made that play. I believe that was Victor Karattini's home run in the second inning, So that was, yeah, twelve percent catch probability. Corbyn Carroll going to his right kind of his signature sliding grab moving in that direction, and he I mean, he's also emerged as one of the best defenders in right field and baseball. Certainly he doesn't have the arm that some right fielders do, but in terms of range, he was already I think in the ninety six percentile and ou it's above average entering this game, and then you see him go out there and make what was really a spectacular catch. Corbyn is just it's really all coming together and he is everything you possibly could hope for.
Speaker 4: In a star player.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, Lord just made a nice play just before that. I don't know what to catch probability was probably got a little late jumper, a little slow getting there, but he ended up sliding and making a really nice play on a pop up in no man's land. And you know, so that was really key too, because that could have been a three run homer.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, that is very true. And of course before Corbyn came through with the big bass clearing triple in the eighth inning, things are getting a little dicey for the Diamondbacks. Kevin Ginkel gave up back to back home runs to start off that top half of the eighth inning, caught a six to three lead, down to six to five, but Corbyn able to come through and open up a four run lead. Paul Seawall then put up a zero in the ninth inning. So just a weird day for the Diamondbacks.
Speaker 3: Jack.
Speaker 1: I mean, a big win on one hand, but man, being in that clubhouse just now, I'm not sure I've ever seen a more somber clubhouse after a win. As a is that a moth? Is that a bird?
Speaker 2: It is?
Speaker 3: It's a massive fly. Yes, It's like a bird.
Speaker 4: Oh gosh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm curious what what Tory Leavello would have done if if that came through when he was when he was there, I didn't get him, darn it. Uh.
Speaker 4: Well maybe by the end of the show. We'll see, I see if you can find a way. Uh.
Speaker 1: But yeah, it was just such an odd feeling in the clubhouse. You're used to hearing music blaring after a win like this, but Tory Leavello took quite a while to start his postgame interview, which was which was not a surprise given all of the injury news and the roster moves that the Diamondbacks are probably trying to figure out. And then even though the team won, it was clear that everyone was just kind of.
Speaker 4: Worried about Soroka and Lawler.
Speaker 1: And you know what this is going to mean for this team when all is said and done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well Tory made it clear. Look, you know there's going to be some guys coming up that are going to have to, you know, step up and help out and keep things moving. We're going to talk about some of that and just a little bit well, I know, there's a lot of questions about what's likely going to happen.
Speaker 3: We have some thoughts. We don't have all the answers.
Speaker 2: You know, some of it will know when they know, because they got to tell us, right, I mean, we can speculate on it, but they didn't give us the news of which pictures and which hitters are coming back. So we'll talk through that as best we can in just a moment.
Speaker 1: On a positive note, looking at these standings after this game, Diamondbacks are now thirty nine and thirty six, up to three games over five hundred. They didn't get back into the wild card picture with this win, but they did scoot over the San Diego Padres as well as the Washington Nationals with this win. They're just sitting a half game behind the Cubs for that third wild card spot as of right now. So things tightening up in the wild card race. And despite the sky falling when it comes to the Diamondbacks and their pitcher injuries, I guess injuries at large, they're still in a pretty decent spot here. But as you said, Jack, we have a whole lot more to get to when it comes to the ramifications of these injuries, how the Diamondbacks are going to deal with them. We'll also dive more into Ryan Nelson and aj Puck and what we heard about those guys there. So don't go away. We'll be back to talk about that stuff. But first it is time for our Daily Dinger segment here on Snake's Territory. Well, Snake's Territory is brought to you by Fan Duel Baseball Fans. The MLB season is in full swing, and fan Duel is giving you a chance to call your shot with daily dingers. Joining the action is easy. Just make your free pick on who's hitting a home run in their game, and if you're right, you'll get a profit boost to use on your next bet for a chance at extra winnings. It's just another reason why fan Duel is the home of home runs. Jack got a couple more games here against the Minnesota Twins this weekend. Who's gonna hit a home run? Who do you got?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, I always try to pick somebody that maybe might not be the obvious pick, but I'm gonna go this time. I'm gonna take katel Marte. Maybe you know he maybe he goes on a heater and he hits one. Sometimes he gets hot and hits a few close together. Tonight's homer was his first since I think June fourth, so he's due to get on another heater here, so I'll go with Katel Marte.
Speaker 4: I'm a little torn here.
Speaker 1: I don't have My instincts aren't leading me very clearly toward any one player this time around. I'm gonna go I'm gonna be bold here, Jack, and I'm gonna say lou James Groover will hit his first big league home run this weekend. He came very very close on a double that he hit in this game. Granted, the Diamondbacks have a lot of players to try to get in the lineup, so I'm not sure if Groover is going to start the next two games necessarily, but I'm gonna be bold and say that Groover finds a way to hit his first big league home run, something we haven't seen from him yet. But it was a really nice swing from him in this game on that double, So we'll see what happens there.
Speaker 3: I think that was his first sexture base hint.
Speaker 1: If I'm not mistaken, I believe it was, yes, And it was very very close, very very close to being a home run, but not quite. He very narrowly made it into second base. It was a pretty close play. He hit it so hard off the left field fence. We saw a similar play just before that with Lordus Curriel Junior throwing out Byron Buxton at second base, but Groover had enough speed to get in there this time around.
Speaker 4: But yes, those are our picks.
Speaker 1: You should go over to FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to get started. That's FanDuel dot com Slash podcast to opt in for daily dingers and make your free pick on who's hitting a homer, playball and swing for the fences on FanDuel, an official partner of Major League Baseball.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary, opt in required, bonus issued does non withdrawable profit boost tokens. Restrictions apply, including any token expiration and max wager amount. See terms at sportsbook Dot FanDuel dot com gambling problem caller tax one eight hundred gambler.
Speaker 1: Well, when it comes to all of these other injuries, where to start. I guess Ryan Nelson, We'll start there, Tory Lavello told the media today, and Ryan Nelson himself as well spoke to the media. It is a right flexer strain and a mild ucl sprain. Tory said that Nelson will be shut down for four to six weeks and that he will have imaging after six weeks and be re evaluated at that point. In terms of a timeline, Jack, I know you were doing the math and Tory was kind of agreeing with your math. It sounds like sometime around mid September is maybe the best case scenario given what we heard today.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was a little strange.
Speaker 2: I mean, first they were saying four to six weeks, but then he said, well he's going to get the MRI.
Speaker 3: It's six weeks.
Speaker 2: I mean, maybe he'll start playing catch before then, but usually they give a follow up MRI before.
Speaker 3: They let them even start playing catch.
Speaker 2: But the other point that Toriy emphasized was however many weeks down, that's how many weeks it takes to ramp back up. So if he's down six weeks before he can start to throw, then he's going to need six weeks to ramp back up. That's twelve weeks. That's mid September. Yeah, so I mean, you know, maybe they he feels pretty good and four weeks into this he goes and has an MRI and they don't wait till the six week part. But I would say that the earliest ye're going to see Ryan Nelson back on May League pitching mound. It's not even going to be eight weeks. It's going to be at least ten to maybe twelve. So you know, you do the math. Ten to twelve weeks is what you're looking at. If he makes it back this year, if he has no setbacks, if there's no problems, so you know, you might see Ryan Nelson pitch in September.
Speaker 3: That's it.
Speaker 1: In terms of how the Diamondbacks will replace Nelson, we don't know, is the short answer there. Brandon Fott's name, of course, came up very quickly in our pregame discussion with Tory, and Tory said that Fott will be a factor in the equation somehow, some way, but he said that the Diamondbacks want to get him stretched out a little bit more. I certainly suggested that Fodd is not going to be an option for the team this weekend, and even after Soroka went down, it sounded like that was still the case. That on Sunday the Diamondbacks are really emphasizing someone that can give them length, and that, of course Sunday being the day that Ryan Nelson was slated to start, So it's not gonna be Brandon Fought on Sunday. It's gonna be somebody who can provide length. I think we can rule out a bullpen game, especially given what we saw in this game, which essentially was a bullpen game in and of itself. So I guess we're kind of looking down to Triple A jack and trying to figure out who are the guys who are fully stretched out who could be options for this team. And the name that comes to mind for me is a prospect we haven't talked a whole lot about. But his name is Jose Cabrera and he is twenty four years old. He has a three point sixty nine ERA in twelve starts between Double A and Triple A this season. He was promoted to Triple A back on June second, so just a couple of weeks ago, and has had pretty good success there through six scoreless innings in his most recent outing. So I don't know for sure, but in my head, Jose Cabrera makes the most sense. His numbers are are far and away better than any other any other pitcher down in Triple A, and I guess I should also mention Mitch bratt Is is is on his way back through four innings in his most recent outing in Triple A. But but he is not fully stretched out at this point. Is he works his way back from that shoulder injury.
Speaker 3: And he's also not in line for he's not available for Sunday.
Speaker 2: I mean, look, I think you know, some of the sleuths on Twitter were very quick to note that at one point Cabrera was showing up as I think a probable starter for Sunday for Reno, and then that got changed.
Speaker 3: So it does. It's not rocket science.
Speaker 2: You know, you can look back when he pitched last, when everybody else is pitched, and who's pitching the best?
Speaker 3: I mean, one point I just want to make statistically about Cabrera.
Speaker 2: You know, when you guys look at his raw E r A numbers, remember that he's pitching an Maillo and then subsequently in Reno, which are both you know, super hyperinflated run environments. And we love to look at these park and league adjusted stats. His ERA minus for the year is sixty two and his FIT minus is seventy six, so you know he's been between twenty five and thirty eight percent better than league average. So that's that's really encouraging. I want to highlight we were fortunate enough to have our good friend Diamondbacks Prospects, who does a fantastic job on Twitter keeping folks informed on everything that's going well going on with the Diamondbacks prospects, and he provided a scouting report on Cabrera just beyond just looking at the stats. So reading this on screen in case Jose Cabrera comes up for the Dbacks, here's my scouting report on him.
Speaker 3: Cabrera works from an.
Speaker 2: Updown delivery, forcing himself towards the plate, throws a solid ninety four mile an hour, four seam sinker, really fun high eighties cutter, solid mid eighties slider, and a wicked eighty five mile power changeup. Commands his own well too. So that's a pretty exciting, you know, scouting report on a guy. Now, look, any rookie pitcher coming up to the major leagues making his debut, you never know what you're going to get. Pitching prospects are like boxes of chocolate. But this is about as exciting a pitching line and exciting a scouting report as you're going to see coming out of the Diamondbacks system. Right now, kudos again to Diamondbacks Prospects for a great scouting report, So fingers crossed that you know, when he does, I'm almost sure it's going to be him. He's ready, he's stretched out, he can give the kind of length that Tory insists he needs. You know, had they not had to do a bullpen game, maybe they could have considered fought on Sunday and patching a couple of relievers behind him, But in these circumstances, he complete ruled that out. So if you completely rule out Randoon fought, and you just go through the available pictures, it's fairly obvious it's.
Speaker 3: Got to be Cabrera. I can't imagine who else it would be.
Speaker 1: And the man himself, Dbach's Prospects in the chat says Cabrera got yanked from his start today for Bryce Jarvis. This was well before warmups, so that also tracks. Cabrera's last start in Reno came on June thirteenth, six days ago. Makes sense he would have been lined up to start today and d Backs apparently pulled him from that start. So seems like you could say pretty confidently that Cabrera is going to be part of the solution. And is probably going to make that start on Sunday. Not an easy situation to walk into. Jack, It's Father's Day. There's going to be you know, forty forty five thousand people at the stadium that day, probably, But I mean, this is just kind of the reality of the situation that the Diamondbacks are in right now. I mean, this is not just about Zach Gallon and Merrill Kelly not pitching as well as you'd like. This is about the Diamondbacks just kind of running out of starting pitching depth. And we say it so often that you can never have enough starting pitching depth. The moment you think you have enough, the moment you you know, you view Brandon Fought as being sort of the unnecessary sixth starter that you don't know what to do with, and then you wind up in a situation like this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, of course people are going to wonder. You know, Mike Hazen had said that amongst his priorities for the trade deadline, he wants to buy left handed bat relief help and starting pitching. Sure, he'll look at it, but that was like third, Well, that may be change, you know, assuming he's still a buyer come July twentieth. But yeah, you know, if he is, you know, there's a fairly decent chance that he's going to need another starting pitcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's hard to imagine the d Backs finding a way to stay in contention and like actually make the postseason just having the starters that they do right now. I guess on on the bullpen front, I think I saw someone mention mentioned this in the comments as well. Diamondbacks might need another arm just for tomorrow. Do you feel like that's a pretty likely Jack, I mean, I know Dre Jamison gave them a little bit of length in this game. Maybe maybe Jamison has to go down just to give the Diamondbacks another fresh arm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's very possible.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not really sure who they would grab. I haven't I'll be honest with you. I was a little busy today and I didn't look at the uh at the game logs for Reno tonight. I guarantee you somebody in our chat is going to tell me who hasn't pitched and who's the most available down there. But yes, I would not be surprised if there's a move tomorrow. You know, we'll be keeping our eyes out and for any news on on the roster changes, we expect a few few new jerseys in the locker tomorrow.
Speaker 1: With regard to Ryan Nelson's injury, you and I we're talking about this a little bit pregame, and it was a topic that came up with.
Speaker 4: Tory as well.
Speaker 1: Why are all of these picture injuries happening? The Diamondbacks have been hit pretty hard by this over the past really three seasons in a row now, where they've suffered some pretty significant pitture injuries that have very much held them back. And the simple answer is that the Diamondbacks are not the only team going through this. This is a league wide problem, and it's very difficult to tease out. You know, are what are mistakes that this organization is making versus what is just kind of the reality of baseball right now? And injuries just happen. We're seeing this with a lot of other teams as well. Doesn't necessarily mean that the Diamondbacks are doing anything wrong.
Speaker 4: The one thing I can.
Speaker 1: Say with Ryan Nelson is that he does throw a lot of fastballs, and his velocity has just gotten higher and higher over the years. This season, his fastball averaged ninety six point three miles per hour. Last year it was at ninety five point seven.
Speaker 4: He go back a few years.
Speaker 1: Ago, it was more in the ninety four range. So it's felt like as Ryan Nelson has adapted to the big leagues, he's kind of recognized that his fastball is going to be a really important weapon, and he's trying to get everything out of it that he possibly can. And you know, maybe it's not a shock that a pitcher who's relying on a fastball in the upper nineties as much as Ryan Nelson is that something like this was maybe bound to happen at some point.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well also, I mean he's been trying to work in the slider and the cutter and the curveball a lot more. I mean, you know, I am again remissed. There was one particular pitch type that was bothering Ryan, and so he put that pitch away and stopped throwing it after the third inning when he started to feel his discomfort. He didn't tell anybody until after the game that he was feeling discomfort. I should look up what pitch he ditched after the third inning.
Speaker 4: I think it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, me and our good pal Alex Winer we're looking at that more so Alex was doing the heavy lifting and I was looking over his shoulder as he was, and we were pretty sure it was the cutter.
Speaker 4: Was the pitch.
Speaker 1: That that Nelson ditched after the third inning. I think he threw one more cutter the rest of the way, but that was a pretty clear marker after that third inning where he really was not throwing that pitch anymore. So, so I think I think that was the pitch where Nelson was feeling the discomfort. And unfortunately for him, it wasn't just like a weird thing that you feel during a start.
Speaker 4: It was a much larger issue than that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, one conversation I was having with somebody if I if Nelson had gotten hurt last year after being sent to the bullpen, you know, messing around, trying to keep him stretched out enough and brought back into the rotation and stretched out again, you know, bouncing back and forth from the bullpen to rotation and back to the bullpen, back to the rotation. We've just seen over the years that gets guys hurt. Randall Delgado, John Deplentier, Dre Jamison, you know, and fortunately last year Nelson dodged that bullet. And that's something I've been really critical of Tory and Mike over the years of like, you know, you can't bounce guys back and forth like that. And so I've been not too long ago, I wrote an article, you know, with a picture of Mike and Tory sitting at this very desk, and I said, you know, Diamondbacks management's confused about what to do with Brandon Fought and you know, very concerned about him getting shortened up like he did and stretched back out. But in this case, you know, Ryan had the entire offseason off right, you know, and he had the entire entirety of spring training to get stretched out normally. And he has only been starting. So I don't think that there's anything that the team did wrong with him. There's nothing the training staff did wrong with Ryan Nelson. Pitchers get hurt, and this is one of those cases. Now, if it had gotten hurt last year, I would definitely be blaming them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's fair.
Speaker 1: Last year was definitely a back and forth kind of season for Ryan Nelson, and this year it's been pretty cut and dry, and yet things like this do happen. It's just kind of the nature of the game. So certainly wish the best for Ryan Nelson, for Jordan Lawler from Michael Soroka, and also for AJ Puck, the one other player we haven't gotten to yet. Puck, we've known for a little while now that he has had a set back with a shoulder injury. We got clarity today from Tory Lavello on the nature of that injury. It is a left capsule strain and he will be shut down for four weeks or I guess he will get imaging again in four weeks and the Diamondbacks will decide what to do at that point. So we kind of already knew Jack that things weren't great with AJ Puck, but I wouldn't say that update was particularly encouraging either.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, your best case scenario is AJ Puck comes.
Speaker 3: Back mid to late August. That's the best case.
Speaker 2: Worst case, he's done for the year, and he's strong through his last pitch as a Diamondback.
Speaker 3: You know, last year, he's a free agent. He's a free agent at the end of the year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is possible that AJ Puck has thrown his last pitch as a member of the Diamondbacks certainly hope that's not the case and that he's able to find his way back in the final month of the season, but given all of the setbacks that he's dealt with the past couple of years, it's hard to feel optimistic at this point. And this also sets up just a weird situation if you're Mike Hazen, because the Diamondbacks are now hoping to get a whole lot of guys back when the season is basically over.
Speaker 4: They're hoping to get.
Speaker 1: Corbyn Burns, Ryan Nelson, AJ Puck, Justin Martinez. I mean, those are two of your best starters and two of your best relief pitchers that you think you have a chance to get back by the end of the season. But you don't know what you don't know, And if you're Mike Hays and Jack, I don't know if today's events necessarily change your calculus. Certainly, the Diamondbacks were going to have to continue to play well going into the trade deadline for him to follow through with his plan to buy, But I don't know, wouldn't I wouldn't want to be him right now trying to balance out the Diamondbacks position that they're in right now in the wild card being very much in the thick of that race. With also just the volume of injuries that they've taken on and the reality that you can't replace all of these guys with the you in the trade market, it just isn't going to be realistic. And frankly, even without these guys hurt, the Diamondbacks already had their share of problems. You know, you still need Ryan, you still need Zach Gallon and Merrill Kelly uh To to pitch better and uh and And at this point, I don't think you're you're thinking about replacing those guys in the rotation. You're probably just thinking about adding to them and hoping that you get better results from those guys moving forward.
Speaker 2: Yeah, by the way, since you know, just thinking about the whole question about what they're going to do with bringing up a reliever, they'll probably put Soroco on the injured list tomorrow and bring up a reliever.
Speaker 3: They don't have to send anybody out if they don't.
Speaker 4: Want to, that's true, Yeah, you know.
Speaker 2: And don't forget they brought up Jilbert Diaz and he didn't pitch tonight, so they do have him available tomorrow, so they'll probably bring somebody up and then when they have to bring up Cabrera, then they can option somebody out again, you know, to make room. And I believe that they can bring because it would be an injury if Lawler goes on the I L.
Speaker 3: I believe that they.
Speaker 2: Can bring Ryan walschmitht back immediately. He doesn't have to stay on the full ten days. So you know, if, assuming that Jordan Lawler does have a hamstring strain, then expect him to go on the I L. And if that happens, then expect Ryan Walschmith to get recalled right away.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that is fair. Would be surprising to see the Dbacks go another route other than wald Schmidt if Lawler is indeed headed to the injured list.
Speaker 4: Our pal Wes in the chat.
Speaker 1: Makes an interesting point here, maybe something that Diamondbacks fans are feeling. He said, if I'm Mike Hasen, I go on a fire sale and I'm a seller at the deadline. Knowing what we know about Mike Hasen, I don't think that's going to be his posture, not if the team is in a position that it's.
Speaker 4: In right now.
Speaker 1: But you could make a case that maybe the situation is dire enough at a certain point where it isn't worth pushing the chips in on a team like this.
Speaker 2: Well, look, I mean, we have quite a ways to go before Mike actually has to make that decision. Yeah, you know, I mean, unless you're talking about trying to you know, hit a home run now and make a deal before the end of June or early July or whatever. But again, I would caution everybody take a close look at the schedule, starting with the road trip after this weekend. You know, you've got the Cardinals four game series in Saint Louis, and you've got the Rays, you know, two really good teams later on in the month.
Speaker 3: You've got Milwaukee.
Speaker 2: In early July, you're on the road against San Diego and the Dodgers. Yes, you have the Giants plugged in there. There's a lot of really good teams on their schedule between now and July twentieth. So let's kind of slower a role here a little bit. You know, in these circumstances, I don't think Mike has to do anything urgently.
Speaker 3: He doesn't have to make a premature decision on buy or sell.
Speaker 2: Also, I wrote an article about you know, paying selling doesn't always necessarily pay a lot of dividends. Not everybody's going to agree with the article or the tone that I wrote, but basically I was saying, look, you know, when you have an opportunity to get to the playoffs, you've got to push to get into playoffs unless you're buried. Like if you're six games out of the wild Card and there's six teams in front of you, of course then you know you do the right thing. But I think the Diamondbacks paid a lot of good will away or fritted away a lot of good will last year by selling it the deadline. I mean the hardcore fans that are in here in this chat, they all followed the team closely, but a lot of I don't want, I hate to phrase casual fans, but people that just aren't quite as you know, fanatical as we all are, kind of checked out on this team after the trade deadline last year, and that cost a team a lot. I think it cost them season ticket base, I think it cost them good will in the city and just interest and sustainability of.
Speaker 3: The fan base. So you got to be careful with that.
Speaker 2: The other last point I want to make real quick is you know, most of their free agents this year are guys that just wouldn't have as much value as the guys that they happen to have available last year.
Speaker 3: I mean Naylor and Gino.
Speaker 2: Merrill, Kelly, those were some pretty good trade chips. You know, it didn't work out for Zach Gallon, but you know now it's I mean, it's not that guys teams don't need relievers.
Speaker 3: Most of their free agents would be relievers.
Speaker 2: But you know, a reliever and for two months you're just not going to get a whole lot, You're not going to get an impact player. So what's the real benefit there?
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's fair.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think there's definitely a larger cost selling where your fan base loses interest. And the Diamondbacks did make things at least a little interesting toward the end of last year. You could play the hindsight game and wonder, like, well, if they still did have Josh Naylor. You know, what would things have looked like at the end of the season if they had actually held on to all of those guys. Difficult, difficult to say at this point. We did get a super chat before we even went live that we definitely need to shout out. Our pal Philip left a super chat for ninety nine to ninety nine which.
Speaker 4: We very much appreciate.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Philip really means really means a lot to us. And yeah, your generosity just continues to blow us away. So we very much, very much appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Yes, Philip, I really can't say thank you enough.
Speaker 2: You know, we're just very lucky to have listeners and friends like you to tune into the show, and you know, keep up the great work on your end as well.
Speaker 1: So the Diamondbacks have two more games against the Minnesota Twins this weekend. It is Taj Bradley going against Zach Gallen on Saturday. If ever, if ever, there was a time for Zach Gallen to give some length in his outing, which, in his defense, he has generally been giving a decent amount of length even though the results haven't been great. But the d Backs will certainly be looking for that from him in that game tomorrow and then on Sunday, the Twins have TBD listed. We think it might be mick able, but we don't know for sure. The Diamondbacks now.
Speaker 4: Also have TBD listed. We think it.
Speaker 1: Might be Jose Cabrera, but again take that with a grain of salt. We don't totally know for sure, but yeah, I mean, I think Jose Cabrera, Someway or another is probably gonna find his way up to the big leagues here pretty soon. And maybe if if Soroka misses time, Jack, maybe Mitch Bratt is also a part of that conversation. I know, he's still in the process of getting stretched out, and Brandon Fott is also certainly going to factor in here, but Mitch Bratt might might wind up making his his big league debut before too long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean pretty clearly going to need him. It's just no matter where and when they're going to be able to slot him in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So it'll be fascinating to see how the Diamondbacks handle uh this this weekend and uh what is really quite a string here of games without an off day and a schedule that, as you referenced earlier, is also tightening up. That four game series against the Saint Louis Cardinals next week is particularly big, and then they're they're facing the Tampa Bay Rays and some other formidable opponents after that. So a lot of a lot of difficult things ahead for the Diamondbacks as they try to find a way to overcome to overcome all of these injuries, we say thank you to all of you for being here with us on this episode. We really appreciate it. You can find us on social media. I am at jesse N Friedman on Twitter. Jack is at Shuizard fifty nine, and our show is at Snake's Territory. And of course you can find Jack's written work over at Arizona Diamondbacks on SI And once again be sure to drop alike on this video. It really helps us out. You can subscribe to our channel, hit the bell icon for notifications so that you never miss an episode of the show, and if you're joining us after the fact, we also enjoy hearing from you as well, so leave us a comment let us know what you think how the Diamondbacks should handle this very precarious situation that they now find themselves in. Jack any final thoughts here from Chase Field as the Dbacks stare down a serious uphill road ahead.
Speaker 2: Well for all you fathers out there, Sunday's Father's Day and wishing you all the best. I hope that you guys get to enjoy that with family, and for all of you folks out there that still have your dad, definitely, you know, reach out to them, make sure that they know that you love them.
Speaker 3: Father's Day. These guys, you know, they all they.
Speaker 2: All need that love, man, So make sure that you're doing you're stepping up to the plate as well.
Speaker 1: Happy Early Father's Day to all of the dads out there. Definitely echo everything that Jack just said. We will be back with three more episodes next week. We'll keep you all posted on our on our schedule for the week and what that is going to look like. But thank you again to all of you for being with us here on this live post game edition of Snakes Territory. Really appreciate your time, and we'll be back with another edition of Snake's Territory very very soon.
Speaker 5: Kay,