Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, Robert Evans here and I wanted to let you know this is a compilation episode. So every episode of the week that just happened is here in one convenient and with somewhat less ads package for you to listen to in a long stretch if you want. If you've been listening to the episodes every day this week, there's going to be nothing new here for you, but you can make your own decisions. Ah, welcome to it could happen here a podcast where myself, Garrison Davis and James Stout just created a new soon to be beloved fiction character, Racist Sherlock's Holmes. And don't worry, We're not done workshopping at It's not ready to go public yet. But when this bit drops you people are gonna lose your minds. Ah, how's everyone doing today?
Speaker 2: Much better after learning about Racist Shadow comes?
Speaker 1: Uh huh? After no, we didn't learn about him. He burst fully formed from our heads like Athena from the brain of Zeus. A good stuff. Speaking of the Greek and Roman pagan pantheon, James Garrison, you know who does kind of have the feel of a of a malevolent spirit in Greek mythology, is Ron DeSantis.
Speaker 2: Yeah, not wrong, Sure, Ron, that's what they call him.
Speaker 3: After all my years study studying the papyrie, this is I can't confirm.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Meet ball Ron, I'm gonna I have a long essay on my substack about how meet ball Ron and the Egyptian deity Maat are are really uh directly related to one another. But that that that'll, that'll you can find that on my substack, my Egyptology focused substack.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's not what's his what's the god of the sun, the god of the sun disk hm, the one they tried to do a monotheism for.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that isn't that raw? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Right, yeah, I can see seeing himself in those terms.
Speaker 3: No, Maat like I think, is more of like a Horus figure.
Speaker 1: Actually yeah, I mean no, because Matt here's the thing. Matt has wings uh and Ronda Santis is currently flying over us, uh, shading us all in the comfort of his of his mighty technicolor wingspan.
Speaker 2: I'm seeing. Let's there's too many colors in these in these in these wings.
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know why we got onto it. Comparing Ronda Santis to this was a mistake. Anyway, Garrison, you just last week we closed out on two great episodes about fash wave and uh, the adoption UH and kind of reposting of a lot of these aesthetics that had become popular on the far right via you know, the dark brand and memes. And a big part of that was how Ron de Santis somehow allowed some incredibly internet poisoned zoomers to make an ad for him that was far too online for a presidential campaign ad. And I felt like it was time to kind of have a discussion about meatball Ron because obviously things in Florida are very ugly right now. As a fascist, which he definitely is, Ronda Santis is an effective administrator, yeah, which I mean he's good at twisting the administrative state that exists into a weapon to attack marginalized groups. He's been effective at that. What's happening legally, you know, in the laws, you know a lot of the anti trans laws, the anti drag laws in Florida is very frightening. What he's been doing to the Florida education system, state education system is very unsettling, And you know that is all of that is worthy of further discussion. But I think because the most immediate concern we have is like, is this guy going to be able to do that on a national scale? Right, Which is not to say that we should just let Florida, you know, sink into the abyss. I don't believe that. But at the moment, Ron de Santis is tied for second place against Donald Trump. So it kind of it behooves us to ask the questions purely for the purpose of self defense. Can Ron de Santis win? Right? Could he actually become not? Even the first question is like could he become the Republican presidential candidate? Can he beat Donald Trump? And the short good answer to that is I don't think so. It's not looking good. Not looking good for all Meatball. Ron agreed, and I wanted to get into why and kind of some of the fundamental flaws as a guy who is there was kind of this belief fear, I think a reasonable fear among a lot of liberals and folks on the left that because of how effective he's been consolidating and expanding his power in Florida, and because he's generally seemed like less of a like Donald Trump, has certain competences as an authoritarian. There's things he's very good at, but he was not good at being the president. He was not good at using power. He's not too much of a fascist in a lot, He's not an effective fascist, right Like, he wasn't good at picking people to like do things for him. He wasn't good at He was good at hurting people in a blunt way. But he was kind of incompetent at rerat like a competent fascist, like Hitler was a competent fascist, right he was not in there long in an elected position before he had effectively made it impossible to oust him without military force. And Trump was never good at doing that stuff. And the worry is that rond de Santis would be The good news is that Rondi Santis is incompetent as a politician and a political candidate. So I wanted to kind of start with why a lot of his the people who do form his base, which is quite shrinking at the moment, he's losing a lot of support, why they thought he was capable of winning the primary and the general. And when you when you look into kind of why, a lot of sort of Republican like legacy Republicans, the folks who often get called Rhinos. Why a lot of them decided to back Ron Dea Santis. The best summer you're going to get comes from Phil Huffines, who is a businessman in Texas whose car dealership ran a series of ads that are like plasted forever in the memories of everyone who lived in the DFW area in the late nineties early two thousands, and in a CNN interview a few days ago, he said this, when one looks objectively at who can beat Biden, it's going to be DeSantis. We already had a match with Biden and Trump. Trump turns out Democrats better than anybody. DeSantis will be able to articulate more clearly what Republicans stand for, and he's not going to be bogged down in other stuff that Trump brings to the election. I don't think that was a logical thing to think a year ago, right, because it is true that Trump turns out the dims. The idea that like DeSantis isn't going to get bogged down and shit has become kind of fundamentally silly. Like he's gotten bogged down in the fact that a lot of his you know, backers are invested in culture warship that does not sell well on a national level. This whole like anti trans crusade, on the anti woke shit is not a big vote getter. It just gets the base behind you, and like you're never going to beat Trump in a race to the base. You know, Trump has the core of the hard right Republican party in his pocket and they're not gonna like move on from anybody. DeSantis' hope should have been like going after independence, people on the edge, people who are like unhappy with Biden. And I think when you pick this sort of like hate crusade, it hasn't worked well. But Huffines decided that, like, yeah, this guy, this is the dude who has a shot. I think he can actually like pull it out from Trump. I think he's got the ability to like get a lot of people in the middle or close to the middle. This has been proven kind of absurd over the last couple of months of stagnating poll numbers. Huffine says that the governor recently held a meeting with about one hundred and fifty Texas Republicans in Dallas, where he quote impressed them with his stamina, youth, and performance in recent Florida state elections and There's a number of reasons think that this is a bad strategy that like really laying on his performance in the last Florida election is like a good way for him to win support. One of these has to do with the fact that, like Florida is the national watchword for crazy right, like like the rest.
Speaker 4: Of their man.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even a lot of conservatives when they're talking about like madness in America, they talk about Florida like Florida man is an archetype and like, yeah, there's a lot of right wing culture warriors who like Ron's anti immigrant and anti LGBT policies. But moderates and swing voters the people he has a chance of pulling away from Trump. Like if you tell them I want to make New Hampshire more like Florida, most swing voters are going to be like that sounds like hell, I don't want to be anything like that place. Like what a horrible What a horrible idea. This is a sentiment that you will find among Republican thought leaders. Quote. One Republican consultant who has worked on presidential campaign said DeSantis was making a classic governor's mistake by talking extensively about his past accomplishments. Put bluntly, people in Ohio or Iowa do not want to be Florida. They don't care about Florida, and they are tired of hearing about Florida.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because he's he's so reliant on the types of covered to have come out during the past two years of legislative stuff he's done in Florida, and he's I guess forgetting the overall view of that people have of Florida divorced from his own administrative changes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's not like people are moving in droves to Florida Bay because he's defeated the woke menace and he's created a paradise. Like, yeah, he's getting high on his own supply.
Speaker 1: He's getting high on his own supply. It's one thing. There's a degree of his campaign that's focused on like what he calls like the Florida Miracle, the fact that Florida economically weathered COVID pretty well. And again, this would be a stronger point if like Florida's economy was booming and everywhere else was bad. But the US economy overall, in terms of like the numbers that you know economists care about allies is like doing reasonably well, and like, of the shit that is bad in the US economy, it's not any better, Like inflation is not better markedly better in Florida than it is in Iowa. Right, there's just not a good case to be made because like when you're not when you can't really drive the economic point home, when you can't be like, look at how much better Flora is doing than your home. You know, it's a it's a fucking paradise compared to the you know, shitty economy in Ohio. That's an argument you can make if there's any evidence for it. But when you're like, you can't really make the economic argument. It all comes down to culture war stuff, and most Americans don't want this culture war shit going on in their backyard because it's like a gross, weird pain in the ass. So right now, the bulk of DeSantis support comes from higher income, old guard Republicans, the kind of were lukewarm for Trump from the beginning, and the kind to point out rightfully that he didn't win against Biden and it is time for new blood. This is true, but current polling indicates it's not what most GOP voters want, which is kind of the big problem the Republicans have is that this is why Trump's definitely gonna win, you know, as the primary campaign, is that like the hardcore of the GOP cannot be overcome by the moderates because the hardcore is so in lockstep about what they want, and what they want is Trump. The moderates don't have control of the party, but the moderates are the ones who can like actually win a general election. So yeah, it's a tough situation for them to be in. And one of the things that kind of shows how fucked Ron is is that, like Ron won reelection in Florida in his last cubernatorial campaign by about twenty points a year or so ago. In Florida, Trump currently has a twenty point lead on him.
Speaker 3: Not great, not great, No.
Speaker 1: That's a disaster, like because again not only like should you be able to bring in your home state as a sitting governor, but like it shows that Ron is not popular because of his legislative achievements. He's popular because Florida is just that right wing right. Like that's like currently like the electoral state or status of Florida is very conservative, and so Ron won by an overwhelming margin, but that doesn't mean people love him. They definitely like Trump more than they like him. Bad situation to be in, and a number of early backers in DeSantis's orbit have begun to acknowledge this reality. I'm gonna quote from NBC News here. Yeah, there are a number of people grumbling about it, no doubt. A Desantist downer said, there is an overall sense, including with me, that he just is not ignited the way we thought he would. And I find that really interesting because you get versions of that a lot that like we were expecting him to really take off as soon as he started campaigning, and he hasn't, and that was our only strategy. You get this, and like if you read interviews with like folks who were in the DeSantis orbit and people because a number of his early backers have like peeled away and rescinded their their endorsements and given them the Trump it was this hope they had that like once as soon as he's out in front of America, Americans are going to love this guy because he's all the good stuff about Trump with none of the baggage. And that was just fundamentally disastrously wrong. And I think one of the things we're starting to see is that the Dysantis people didn't have another plan for how to get this guy elected. Like their plan was that we think that Trump's policies are popular, but everyone doesn't like Trump, and no, that's actually not accurate.
Speaker 2: The opposite of true. Almost like some of them just like Trumps as a person.
Speaker 1: Yeah, a lot of them don't care about what he's done. They like the fact that he owns the Libs, right, They're not.
Speaker 3: Thinking about he's a compelling character. Yeah, DeSantis is a void of charisma. He is he is not a compelling character. He's actually like he's good at being like an administrator and like like yeah, he's like he's very successful in doing bad things.
Speaker 1: And he's a guy you make your chief of staff if you're yeah, yeah.
Speaker 3: He's not like, he's not a compelling character like the way Trump is.
Speaker 1: No, and it's it's again, it's so fascinating to me. It says a lot about like the degree of bubble all of the political class are in. And when I say the political class, I mean the people the fairly small number of people in the left and the right, liberals and conservatives who work on political campaigns, right, because it's actually a pretty small community of people, of the folks who do the different jobs that are running political campaigns and that are like working as the age and legislative assistants and all that stuff for elected leaders. And because to me, to just a guy sitting out there, like I'm worried about Ron because what he's doing in Florida. But from the moment I saw the guy speak, I was like, well, this man has no charisma whatsoever. And if you can't think about like how a guy could attract voters. If there's nothing that seems appealing about a candidate to you, if you can't understand their charisma, that's probably a good sign that they can't get elected. I am not mystified by why any president who was won in my lifetime won, right. George W. I've been in a room with George W. Bush and watched him spoke to in immediately made sense why people fucking love George W.
Speaker 4: Bush.
Speaker 1: He had an attitude, he had an air that put people at ease. He was good at putting on a character that people found appealing in that time and place. There's a reason why so many voters who loved him you know, especially after the first campaign where it was kind of a but like, there's a reason why he got re elected, Like there's And it's the same thing with like Bill Clinton. Right, you watch old videos of Bill Clinton on the campaign trail before he was president. You can see the charisma, you can see the way he connects to audiences, you can see the things about him that people find appealing. There's not a mystery. It's not mysterious why Obama got elected. He's a deeply charismatic man. And you know, Joe needed a little bit of help, that's why he lost so many presidential campaigns beforehand. But next to Donald Trump, he seems like a much more appealing person. Like, I'm not mystified, and I'm not mystified by why Trump got elected. Next to Hillary Clinton, Trump felt not like a politician, not like the same people who would let us down. There was this degree to which like, you should never be you should if you're looking at like whether or not someone can win an election, you should never be like, well, I don't get it, but I guess maybe they have. They must have some sort of charisma because everybody's talking about them as a serious candidate now Honestly, if you can't see anything about appealing about a candidate, then that might be a good sign that they're doomed. And I think DeSantis is fucking doomed. And this is kind of a thing that a lot of his early backups has started to realize. One DeSantis aligned operative told NBC, from my understanding, if we don't see a bump in the polls, we're basically going to shut down the idea of a national operation. This is really something that we're probably going to see. I wouldn't be surprised if he kind of has a blowout politically pretty early in the primary season next year, because he raised a lot of money earlier in his campaign. He raised about twenty million or so between mid May and the end of June of this year, which actually put him ahead fundraising wise of Trump by about two million or so. But the Trump campaign ended last quarter with twice as much cash on hand as Wrong Alongside is still dominating lead in the poll. So Ron has raised a lot of money, which kind of speaks to the number of sort of like Republican you know, institutional backers who hoped that he could win where Trump had failed. But he blew all that shit, and it didn't get him anything right, Like he didn't raise a b Like he crept up a teeny amount in the polls, but he's still like tied for second with Donald Trump despite blowing all of that money. And I think we're going to reach a point pretty quickly where if he doesn't immediately take you know, a state or two or three from Trump in the early primaries, any kind of hope he has for further donations is going to dry up, because, like, why would you keep wasting that money. We all saw how much money he got wasted trying to take Trump out of the primaries in twenty sixteen. I do think people are going to be a little more gun shy this time. There have already been a number of recent layoffs of major staffers by DeSantis. He's kind of purged a big chunk of the people who started his campaign. One of the things that's a little interesting about him in his political career is that as a politician, he has always been kind of noted as kind of weird within Florida politics because every election he's had, he's had an entirely new team of people. He does not work with the same people twice. He does not have like bring people back for his campaigns, which is really unusual in US politics for a successful politicans. When you win, you tend to bring him back a lot of the same people who helped you win the last time. And so the fact that Ron doesn't do that, that he's got such basically one hundred percent churn in his teams suggests a couple of things. One, he's not great to work with, and two, the people who work with him and have been successful and are good don't see him as someone with national potential. Right They don't want to keep working with him because then they get kind of trapped in the loop of being a DeSantis guy. They want to move on somewhere rounse else because they think governor is as high as this guy can go. You know, Like that is kind of one of the things that you see when you note this dude has such total turnover in his fucking teams. Now again, for all of the money that he spent, Ron's polling numbers have changed basically nil from when he announced his candidacy. According to New York Magazine, kind of coalated a bunch of this together in the real clear Politics average of polls starting July first, twenty twenty two, Trump had a thirty four point lead over Ron DeSantis and fifty two point eight percent of the vote in national surveys, with DeSantis at eighteen point five At present, he's got Trump's lead over to Santas. So a year ago, Trump had a thirty four point lead over to Santis. Now he's at thirty two, which is not the speed of movement that you want to see. After a year of effectively campaigning. On the national surveys, DeSantis has gone from eighteen point five percent to about twenty one percent, which again is just kind of like a disaster rate of change. Now this is just one pole. There's probably potentially outliers here. I've seen other polls that show DeSantis at more like twelve percent and tied with Vivic Ramaswami, who is another GOP candidate. Like the fact that Vivek, who is not nearly the kind of national name that DeSantis is, is tied with him and some polls now is fucking disastrous. He and Trump are pretty close in terms of funding. Vivek has raised only a fraction of what DeSantis has raged so that's a pretty bad sign kind of a fucking disaster. One major area in which Ron lags behind Trump is his ability to draw interest and what amounts to free advertising from the media. Trump famously got about a billion dollars in free publicity in twenty sixteen thanks to relentless media coverage of his every move, gaff and speech. He understood it didn't matter if it was negative. It didn't matter that they were shit talking to me. What matters that they're keeping my face out front, right, this is a thing that will bring me support, It will bring me donors, It will make my supporters see me as like this kind of gladiator fighting for them. He leaned into this shit. On the surface, Ron and Trump are kind of the same in their approach to the media, and that if you go to a Assantis speech, you go to a Trump speech, they're going to call the media the enemy of the people or some variant thereof. They're going to talk about the need to control the press. They're going to like support authoritarian measures against like free you know, the free press. Like again, if you're kind of just looking on the surface, it seems like they have the same attitude towards the media. But the way they treat journalists is completely different, and that DeSantis has no strategy with the media. He just attacks them. If you're if you're right wing media, if you're some podcaster he likes, He'll go on your show, he'll talk to you. But he ignores the liberal media. He ignores the mainstream media. But that's that's different from having a tactic for dealing with them. Trump has a strategy with the media. He will howl that they're the enemy of the people in front of crowds. He'll talk about locking up journalists. But if you like read articles about him after a speech or whatever, he always gives the press their time. He knows a lot of these guys by name. He has relationships with reporters. He's had relationships with like Maggie Haberman of The Times. He's he's able to be like friendly with these people and social with them, which isn't like, doesn't make it's not doing that to be a good person. He's doing it because like he wants them to feel comfortable around him and cover him.
Speaker 3: And like and this is this is the thing that he's been doing longer than he's been a politician. Like Trump is primarily like a media guy like he is. He is someone who's been able to very successfully manipulate public image and manipulate media in his favor for years, especially as like he's not like a good businessman, He's like, no, he's like a con man who was like really good. He's a good promoter, so like he knows how to do this. DeSantis has none of this background, So he's just trying to copy like the hostile vibe of Trump without understanding the action like media backing that Trump puts into his UH, into his like relationship with UH, with like with like advertising and with having you know, any any amount of coverage that will get Republicans be like, oh, this is a guy that's worth voting for.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And well also that will the kind of coverage that will make independence pay attention to him.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: A big thing part of how a lot of negative media coverage worked for Trump is that people would just see his name in the fucking news, and you know, so they would wind up reading and listening to a lot of what he had to say. And because like, you know, he's getting so much coverage, and because all of these media outlets have one to want to present the image of being unfair and unbiased. Like when Trump would go out and sit down with the New York Times, sit down with the Posted down, he would often get coverage that like, let him say his piece, let him make his case, like they would because they didn't want to feel like they were being biased, and he was giving them some of his time. But when you just cut the media off like the Santis has done, you don't get that from them. You don't get any of like the benefit of this sort of like idea of impartiality, which cuts down on your ability to actually like reach people who might be converted to vote for you. This is highlighted particularly well in a segment from a recent New York Times article on Dessanta's difficulty getting press coverage. Quote. Assigned to cover the reelection campaign of Governor Ron de Santis of Florida, Miles Cohen, a young ABC News reporter, found himself stymied. The governor would not grant him an interview, aids barred him from some campaign events, and interrupted his conversations with supporters. When mister Cohen was finally able to ask a question about the governor's handling of Hurricane Ian, mister DeSantis shouted him down, stop stop, stop, and scolded the media for trying to cast dispersions. The Dessanta's campaign then taunted mister Cohen on Twitter, prompting a torrent of online vitriol. So on election night, mister Cohen de camp to a friendlier environment for the news media mar A Lago, where former President Donald J. Trump greeted reporters by name. He came up to us, asked how the sandwiches were, and took twenty questions. Mister Cohen recalled mister Trump, who heckled the fake news in his speech that evening elevated media bashing into a high art for Republicans. But ahead of the next presidential race, potential candidates like mister DeSantis are taking a more radical approach, not just attacking nonpartisan news sources but out ignoring them altogether. And yeah, I think that kind of like gets at the core of what a bad strategy this is. And it shows all of the Republicans right now because of Trump's success in twenty sixteen, which we do have to remember, was not based on converting a majority of Americans. It was based in part on like the electoral system and just raw luck that shit broke the way it did. But they are looking at like his success in twenty sixteen and trying to copy that. But it's like a cargo cult thing, right, they don't actually understand what he did that work. They see him bashing the media and his speech is They're like, well, I'm gonna be even harder. I'm not going to talk to the media at all. And it's like, well, you have eliminated for yourself the primary benefit that Trump true out from this.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think the corga cult de script is great. They're like they're trying to have the appearance of doing the Trump thing with now understanding why, yeah, the thing worked.
Speaker 3: And like also importantly, it's not like twenty sixteen anymore. As much as it feels like twenty sixteen was the here that never ended, Actually a lot has changed and also a lot of media has gotten a bit wise to the tactics that Trump did. Like they're no longer going to be blasting all of his speeches every time he says something outrageous because they know that's part of his strategy. So, yeah, the same tactics. If de Santis thinks heason to get publicity for saying some horrible thing in his speech. The media knows what's up now, like they've already seen this like playbook get played. It's not like it's you can't treat it like eight years ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I think a good example of this is in twenty sixteen, if it had come out, if Joe Biden had been the front writer, say he beats you know, Hillary Clinton, but everything else is the same, So he's the he's the Democratic primary guy. Say it comes out that his son has been smoking crack with prostitutes, and like there's pictures of his hog everywhere and he was involved in So he gets charges against him for commit a couple of crimes that might sink a presidential campaign in twenty sixteen, nobody gives a shit about Hunter Biden, Like zero moderate it's not a single vote is being changed as a result of the Hunter Biden situation in twenty twenty or it's a different landscape and these people haven't. This is a good thing. I am frightened for when a new you know, there's another coup in conservative politics and somebody understands that it's a different year. Yeah, but we are fortunate at this moment, and you know who else is fortunate.
Speaker 2: Who's that robot?
Speaker 1: The sponsors of this podcast, they're fortunate to have great pitchmen like James Stout. James, why don't you tell the people which meal box subscription will finally cure the gnawing pit of anxiety at the center of their life and bring them both both peace and the love of Jesus Christ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absleutely, we're pretty gonna have to uh, we're gonna have to bleet some shit out here, but absolutely, I personally love been a big chicken wing fam my whole life until the baby's arms from the Apron arrived. They are delicious, little little fatty arms from freshly harvested babies, and I've felt better inside and out since I started eating children. Yeah, just remember our motto, nothing's wafficking like human trafficking.
Speaker 4: Shit.
Speaker 3: Go to HelloFresh dot com use promo code children Arms for a ten percent discount.
Speaker 1: Of blue Apron. Actually cut hell afresh there. They're giving us a lot of money. It's blue Apron. We shit on. Ah, we're back, and we're thinking about how there's one food box company who's been accused of a lot of malfeasance and another food box company. Who are I think it's safe to say Christ like, you know, honestly and Jesus.
Speaker 3: Jesus inspired to at the very least.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Well, the reason Jesus actually rose from the dead was to consume a breakfast. That's right by Blue Apron.
Speaker 1: Mmmmmmmm Jesus, big omelet guy, huge omlet guy. Anyway, I don't know, that's not really a joke. So Ron DeSantis has long ignored any media not guaranteed to be fawningly indulgent of him for political reasons. This worked well in Florida. He's been able to get by by attacking centrist in liberal media and embracing a constellation of far right podcasters and Fox News. But Florida is not the United States, and a governor's race is not a federal election. He simply can't succeed against Trump with the same tactics that worked in Florida's or against Florida's anemic state Democratic Party. When he's tried to rebut the naysayers who see his cause as largely doomed, DeSantis has tried to publicly downplay the significance of national polls. It is one of my favorite things whenever people point out, like, your polls have not moved in a year, and you've spent millions and millions of dollars. He'll be like, I don't trust those polls. Those polls don't really matter. You can't trust the poll to get how wrong the polls were in twenty sixteen articles.
Speaker 3: I've seen him use that line a lot. Look, yeah, how wrong the polls were in twenty sixteen?
Speaker 1: Okay, Ron, Yeah, I don't think they were not off by thirty four points. You can see clearly how he's making his case currently to donors in private. Because a memo that he's sent out to a bunch of his high dollar donors leaked recently. There's been a number of websites that have written about it, but we have like this memo, which is fascinating. It was sent out to a bunch of big dollar donors to a superpack. So these are the people who are not limited by like campaign contributions because it's due a super pack. So these are like the thick pockets people. So we get an idea of how he is marketing his campaign right now that it's in a crisis, and it starts with a state of the race update with a subtitle, the ballot is very fluid. Early state voters are only softly committed to the candidates they select on a ballot question this far out, including many Trump supporters. Our focused group participants in the Early States even say they don't plan on making up their mind they meet the candidates or watch them debate. Well, we know Trump's flor is twenty five percent. That leaves three quarters of the electorate willing to consider other viable options. What has not changed to the candidates who are realistically being courted by the electorate. As it has been for the last year, Trump and DeSantis remain the only viable options for two thirds of the likely Republican primary electorate. While Tim Scott has earned a serious look at this stage as Bio is lacking the fight that our electorate is looking for in the next president. We expect Tim Scott to receive appropriate scrutiny. In the weeks of HEEAD. We found low to no interest in Vivek, Bergham and Nikki, while too many voters will not consider Pincer Christie for them to be remotely viable. Now I agree about pens and Christie. Neither of those people is going to be the primary candidate. But again Vivek and some polls is right up there with Ronda Santis. So yeah, note that neither of them is gonna win.
Speaker 3: Great scigncet.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The mimo goes on to note and to sort of admit that their efforts and other primary states have hit a wall, and they're basically like, we're given up in Iowa and Ohio kind of We're not going to be putting new resources into them. We're just going to throw everything we've got into New Hampshire. There's a couple of reasons for this, but I think it's largely that they don't think they can win in those other early states, and they know they desperately need an early wind to have any hope of building up momentum. Yeah. Language like this from the memo has to have experienced Republican politico's nervous. While Super Tuesday is critically important, we will not dedicate resources to Super Tuesday. That's slow our momentum in New Hampshire. We expect to revisit this investment in the fall. I'm sure you will not a great sign, guys, the memo.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you'll be revisiting a lot of things in the fall.
Speaker 1: The memo also claims Governor DeSantis and his messager thriving in town hall engagements. So basically, when Ron gets in front of people, they see his magnetic charisma. They really like him once he gets a chance to shine in front of them. Now, there's been no evidence in polling he's been in front of people quite a bit, and he's not very impressive. Most of the social media response to his public appearances have been people making fun of the way he eats in public. Like there's like six or seven different videos out that are him trying to eat something and looking like a goober and people making fun of him, Whereas like again, Trump has because he's actually charismatic. Trump can like sit in a truck and look like a dufus playing truck driver and everybody's like, look at that guy. Even people who hate him are like, well, that's kind of endearing. Look at him. He's hogging the horn. He's pretended to be a big truck driver.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 1: Meatball Ron. I mean we call him meatball Ron because of a food related gaff. Putting Ron to putting Ron too. He's just a disaster in public. There are some useful bits in this leaked document. This is the part of the document where the Desanta's campaign is like trying to lay out what they see as his assets as a candidate. And again, the goal of this is to get big dollar donors to give him more money. So this is them making the case as to why Ron is worth further investment. We found that when voters hear about the governor's bio, principally as a dad and as a veteran, they like him and are open to hearing more about him. This is to say nothing of his successes on parental rights, his leadership bringing Florida's economy back during and after COVID, fighting illegal immigration, and ensuring Border Act security. That he's not just a fighter, but most importantly a winner. A major paid media effort featuring the governor's bio will help us to convert three big issues that you know. That's again, so the three big issues he's highlighting that he says like, these are the things that are going to get voters onto us enough of them that we can overcome Trump's twenty five percent floor. Our anti immigration stuff. Well, I'm sorry, man, Trump's got you beat there. The wall is his right.
Speaker 2: Descentist has tried to go one step further. And if you saw his press conference in Texas where he.
Speaker 1: Is the birthrights teamship thing, yeah.
Speaker 2: No to shooting people.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he said quite drop a few of them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he's trying to. But again, he just talked about what's interesting to me. He opens this memo by starting like, look, Trump's got a twenty five percent floor of support, but you know there's that other three quarters of people we can get. And yet when you are talking about gunning people down at the border, you're just trying to take that twenty five percent from Trump. You are not reaching out to like the people who are less maniac, right, he's trying. Like again, it's just bad strategy. It's a bad strategy within the context of what his people have laid out as a strategy. Right, Like, if the good strategy is go for the other seventy five percent of the voters, well you probably don't do that by promising to be even harder on the border.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he doesn't really even have like obviously Trump didn't have a coherent border policy either, but he had a thing, right, Like he had a sort of shiny thing that.
Speaker 3: He had three words that were very power build the wall.
Speaker 1: And you know, if desantists thinks Americans are ready for shoot them, all right, you can try that. But he's not. He's like trying to do this weasel thing anyway. It's just not there's just not any evidence of an actual tactic there of an understanding of like what people find appealing and how to highlight it. He's not doing it yet. He's not if you're a donor, he's not exhibiting the idea that he knows how to copy what Trump did and do it one better, like your goal here at if you're running against Trump based on kind of what they lay out, is what their strategy needs to be, which is get the other seventy five percent of people to back us instead of Trump. You need to be you don't need to be yes ending you are acknowledging by laying that out as the strategy that Trump his appeal is. He's got a dedicated base of appeal, but it's limited, and so if you are trying to make the case that you're more electable than him, you need to show how you have a wider base of like a whiter repeal than he does. And you don't do that by being like, I'm even shittier on the border like anyway, just a bad strategy since he doesn't have a strong case to make an absolute numbers. Ron's campaign has made the call to push heavily on the forgotten Man narrative, arguing a soft conspiratorial view that a cabal of shady elites is colluding to ruin American greatness. Here's another quote from that memo. Equally important, we will offer an economic message to disrupt and win economy voters. American decline was not an accident. It was a choice. Our elites do not consider themselves Americans so much as they think of themselves as citizens of the world. Their loyalty is not to a discrete nation, but to the bottom line on a balance sheet, and the decisions they made in leading this country over the past few decades has reflected that worldview. They have governed in their interests rather than ours. And I do think there's a germ of something interesting there. There's this idea of like economic populism, which was a factor in Trump's campaign. It's interesting to me how close Ron's idea is to like outright anti Semitic conspiracy theory language, like, yeah, they don't recognize borders. Uh, they're citizens of the world, which is a you know, very similar to a lot of the arguments that like the Nazis would make about the Jews, is that like they're a borderless people who exist within this like financial system rather than like our national like co citizens. Right, it's interesting to me that he's got that this in that memo. Again, I don't think it's a good strategy. I think the way Trump, Trump's just better at doing this right at like he's made himself like there's a lot of people who consider Trump like their kind of guy, like a working class dude, even though he's a billionaire with a gold toilet. I don't see that DeSantis has the ability to like win that kind of support from working people.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: He tried really hard to go to push his like his military record as part of a like, yeah, sort of I'm a normal dude kind of think, but it doesn't seem to have stuck the landing at all. Again, he just yeah, I just did it in a clumsy and awkward way.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, in part because like the thing he's got to hang on like that he was this fucking dude doing sketchy shit at Guantanamo. Isn't like even conservatives don't feel great about that, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he tried earlier to push like he was a leaguer, he was a JAG officer, like attached to a seal team.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he tried to call himself a seal.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think he Like, I think he flew a little bit too close to the sun on that one. And again like he fucked up and alienated the people he was trying to appeal to.
Speaker 1: And I also I do kind of wonder it was like sort of taking his red for some time that having military experience was like a positive aspect in a in a campaign that it would like win you a lot of conservative voters and whatnot. I don't know that that's really the case. Yeah, see a lot of evidence for it, Like people certainly shout it when they serve, but I don't know that it really works for them.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think that's more of a like a I don't know if I'm using the right phrasing here, like a traditional Republican value, not like a post Trump Republican value.
Speaker 1: Because Trump is like on record as being like, no, only idiots serve in the military. I'm a smart man, and like that didn't seem to hurt him at all. But you know who else hates veterans?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, several of the food box delivery companies. They actually they just won't give them food.
Speaker 1: They are they are actively every one of our supporters is wiping their ass with whatever flag the Navy uses. I assume they have a flag, right.
Speaker 2: Oh definitely yeah, yeaheah, especially navy flag. It works underwater too, very special.
Speaker 1: That's good. That's good. And underwater flag that's what we need to bring nationalism to the fish. We're back. So I wanted to close out by kind of looking at a segment of Desanta supporters the find people behind my favorite reliable media institution, legal insurrection dot com. Oh good, now, this is a kind of libertarian right themed news website. They're like, boy, I do want you to look up legal insurrection dot com because their website's very interesting, Like starts with this like phonetic breakdown of the phrase legal insurrection. Like that's their logo that includes like a definition a rising up against established authority, rebellion, revolt in conformity with or permitted by law. That's a nonsense phrase, because there's no such thing as a permitted legal insurrection. We had this argument actually, like back in around eighteen sixty and guess where it ended. Like, I'm not saying it's bad to have an insurrection. I think some insurrections are potentially really good, but they're never legal. Otherwise they're not an insurrection. Yet the same silly.
Speaker 2: Ideas direction is illegality.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like one way or the other. I think it's this idea. These people who like pretend to be libertarians, they still have this like sacred sort of reverence for the law. They can't just say like, yeah, I believe in overthrowing the government. No, no, no, what I'm doing is actually obeying the real law. The people in charge are obeying laws that are illegal and fake. But like, I know the real law. So what I'm not. I'm not a criminal? Like, no, man, just be like yeah, man, I'm a criminal. I want to I want to overthrow the government. You know what's cool is being a criminal who wants to overthrow the government. We all love criminal This is why Star Wars is the biggest movie series. We love criminals who want to overthrow the government. That's who the founding fathers of this country.
Speaker 2: War is a very American thing to love.
Speaker 1: You shouldn't have to be like no, but ours is a legal and now fuck it, you're a criminal. You're cool, You're fucking al Capone.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, it's very very cooked.
Speaker 1: It is very cooked. Anyway. Here's an article from legal insurrection dot com who bafflingly backs Ronda Santis Florida government. Rond de Santis is serious about restoring executive branch agencies and rebuilding trust with the American people who've been shocked and appalled at the weaponization of government by the Biden administration and before that, the Obama administration. The federal government, specifically the executive branch alphabet agencies, has been completely corrupted by the Obama, Biden and now the Biden Harris administrations. We all know it, and we're all disgusted and disheartened by the myriad ways the Obama administration targeted political opponents. That's why Trump's twenty sixteen campaign to drain the swamp was so potent. We knew the depth and breadth of the corruption. The partisan Banana republic style attacks on political opponents and we wanted it stopped. Unfortunately, Trump was not able to drain the swamp at all, not even a little bit. So when Biden took office in twenty twenty one, he just got to work picking up Obama's attacks on ascent with a deep state still fully embedded through the executive branch, having spent the intervening years openly working as the resistance to Trump's the duly elected president's agenda. God, it's such, first off, very funny that they're trying to like make the resistance to be anything but like Twitter libs. Yeah, Like I do find it funny that they're like fucking trying to treat this like a boogeyman.
Speaker 2: I'm just yeah, like leading the Maquis through to through that I don't know, Forester Siteorgia and blowing up fucking train tracks is extremely amusing to me.
Speaker 1: It's just sad, but it does get it something right. This attitude among a lot of Republicans, particularly the guys who really like DeSantis, that the deep state is really powerful. These federal law enforcement agencies are fundamentally like fighting against us, and we have to build an ability to compete with them. And this is I actually think we've been mostly talking about like the weaknesses and the dumb shit about DeSantis's campaign. I think a strength he has not maybe capitalized on enough is this idea, because this is something Trump proved he was unable to do, like he didn't go in there and unseat the deep state. And DeSantis has actually been kind of effective at resisting the federal government and even sidelining some FEA mineral agencies within Florida. And there's some actual like potential for strength here with Trump's base. I don't know that this gets you moderates, but like it's weird to me that he hasn't pushed this harder. Part of that maybe the fact that he's, like everything else, really bad at it. Kind of His strongest attempt to provide sort of a countervailing force to federal law enforcement was his activation of the Florida State Guard, which seventeen or so states have state guards. It's just kind of like a state version of a National Guard. Potentially, Florida's had not been active in a while, and he reactivated them, claiming that it was going to be a force of volunteers who could respond to hurricanes and other public emergencies. But what he was actually doing was trying to create a paramilitary organization. He is in the process of attempting to do this now these people are undergoing like military training and whatnot. He's trying to get them access to like weaponry. Like this is potentially kind of concerning, but he's really fucking bad at it. There was a really interesting New York Times article recently that kind of goes into the problems the Florida State Guard have had sort of spinning up. And it's a very funny read because it's like it's like a little kid's idea about how you would build a paramilitary organization. So on paper, the Governor's office has said that one of the Guard's missions would be quote to ensure FLOYDA remains fully fortified to respond not only to natural disasters, but also to protect its people in borders from illegal aliens and civil unrest. And then the New York Times article continues, the deployment this spring has been mired in internal turmoil, with some recruits complaining that what was supposed to be a civilian disaster response organization had become heavily militarized, requiring volunteers to participate in marching drills and military style training sessions on weapons and hand to hand combat. At least twenty percent of the one hundred and fifty people initially accepted into the program dropped out or were dismissed. And if you get into this, the people dropping out are like the veterans, they're like military officers and stuff who got into this thing and then are like, I was in the military for twenty years, you know, I did deployments here and here, and I came into this thing and it's a bunch of civilians dressed as soldiers yelling at me to do push ups in march in a field and like trying to be an asshole to me because they're angry that like I have military experience that they think they know better. Like it is like the volunteers said, the training seemed poorly structured, with an order to minimum amount of time spent, as one of them described it, marching in fields. Some of the men said that as veterans with years of experience in the military, they were offended when they were yelled at by junior instructors acting like drill sergeants who disregarded their previous ranks. I find this really fucking funny if you guys seen those videos coming out about like they're these classes where if you're like a rich or you know, upper middle class dude, you can pay like ten grand to spend five days doing a fake version of the Seals hell weak like you rolling, you're like incredible, Like yeah, you're like carrying, like hitting stuff with big hammers. You're like crawling on your back through rocks. You're doing all these like shitty, painful exercises while like some dude who probably fucking got an other than honorable separation from the Marine Corps as a private second class like screams at you a lot, and it's you know, that's what you feel. Yeah, yeah, rolling around on a one wheel yelling at you that you're you know, just like making a bullshit reasons to be angry at you, because idiots honestly have it.
Speaker 3: Like yeah, it sounds like a weird mix of like expensive LARPing and like a like a repressed kink thing for these guys.
Speaker 2: Like yeah, that's.
Speaker 1: Watched the movie Full Metal Jacket and a number one didn't watch all of it because like our Lee Ermie or whatever his name was. Character they're like the really mean drill star gets murdered after like emotionally abusing one of his recruits, like kind of a big part of the movie, but just saw him like making fun like yelling at people and making up fun insults, and we're like, well, that's got to be key to teaching people how to fight Garrison. Have you seen Full Metal Jacket?
Speaker 3: I have not seen Full Metal Jacket.
Speaker 1: You'd actually probably like it's good. There's some interesting parts of that movie. Well well shot, but yeah, I do think it's really funny. Like there's potentially this is one of those things potentially very scary to have a far right elected leader building his own paramilitary force that is answerable only to him. Righteah, that is a frightening thing. I'm not saying we shouldn't be concerned about him trying this, but he's so shitty.
Speaker 3: It it's like dictator one oh one. Yeah, yeah, Like it makes sense that he would try it. I mean, like, yeah, I would never want to be a governor because I think that's an a moral thing to do. But if I if I was to be, yeah, a romitarian governor, my own hit squad.
Speaker 1: Step one, make your own army, and it says a lot about Ron number one that of all of the different things he's tried to do, this is the only one that seems like, Oh, you might actually be able to get a lot of Trump voters to switch over to you if you promise them I'm going to do this nationwide, and you, as a guy who didn't join the army but is pretty sure he would have been good at it, can like become a militant commander in your like state guard thing that I'm going to establish. You might get some votes. I don't think you'd win a lot of moderates, but you might get the base away from Trump.
Speaker 3: Right, it's just so clearly a brown Shirts rip off. Yeah, it's just like it's so blatant that it's like it's it's like it's like it's like he's like poorly copying someone else's homework. Yeah, Like I don't a lot of his campaign has that vibe and he's like just poorly copying someone else's homework.
Speaker 1: Like, I don't know that this would work, and I still think he would have. It would be a long shot that he would have any chance of beating Trump. But if he were to be like I'm going to establish a State Guard where conservatives can get access to military grade weaponry and the right to carry their handguns everywhere. You might get I don't again, I don't think you went a general that way, but you might get the base away from Trump with that. It's at least more creative than anything else he's tried. Anyway, this is all a bad idea. I want to close by reading one last anecdote from that New York Times article on Ron meetball Ron's attempt to make an army. A fifty one year old former Marine captain who had retired from the military with a disability and later joined the State Guard also clashed with instructors during initial boot camp last month, raising concerns about the training. In an assault complaint filed with the Clay County Sheriff's office, the man said he was accused by the State Guard commander of being the leader of the group that had been criticized in the organization and its leadership. He was then forcibly pushed into a van against his objections and driven to the command boost, where he was fired and escorted off base. Of the nine original State Guard recruiters and commanders who's months recruiting for the organization, Fewer than a third remained. The staff director, who had been a proposion of the less militarized version of the group, appointed in January, was removed from his post just two days before the inaugural graduation. The program's personnel director was fired this week. So good.
Speaker 3: Sounds like it's going great over there in Florida.
Speaker 1: Sounds like meatball. Ron knows how to make an army. I don't know, folks. That's that's my episode on on the Ron de Santis campaign, and now he's doing. I hope you all enjoyed this little update. We're done cool.
Speaker 2: Stay tuned for a vveck Ramaswani.
Speaker 1: Episode, yeah, which is just gonna be me making fart noises into the microphone. You'll get everything you need on vveck.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Look, it's gonna be Trump unless he dies, in which case, boy, that could be interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, I just like Dessantis could have waited four years and then he could have had the backing of Trump to help him. I don't he's such a he's such a weird little like power goblin because like, yeah.
Speaker 1: I mean, if he was still try to do that. Trump has gone back and forth on people in the past. But it's such a weird call to like make this doomed play at it, to build like this bad, like you're gonna piss some people off. Yeah, why yeah, anyway, I.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I remember us doing an episode not so long ago about the Santis and being like, well, he'll just wait four years until Trump's out to the pit show. But no, he fucking defied our expectations by torpedoing his own presidential chances.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and uh, that's why I love him. Welcome back to It could Happen Here a podcast about things falling apart, and you know, when things fall apart, one of the few things that can keep you on an even keel, you know, keep you feeling like there's something that makes sense in the world. It's good TV.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 1: I think we can all agree no job more important than making television because it's really, for a surprising amount of the population, the only thing keeping them on the ragged edge of sanity. And obviously, if you're at all aware of the news, both the Writers Guilt the WGA and the Actors Guild sag AFTRA have both separately, although they are now, you know, on strike. At the same time have both kind of independently announced strikes after a breakdown in negotiations with the major studios, and to talk with me today about what's going on. What's it like being a writer on strike? Is my friend and one of the people who makes a show that helps keep me on the ragged edge of sanity. Sore and Bowie sorin. How you doing woo?
Speaker 5: You're simply the best money Hey, you met of.
Speaker 4: Them all the risks.
Speaker 7: Stop it, Tina, stop it.
Speaker 1: Thank you guys, very good, very good. See you are my former colleague at cracked dot com dot net backslash aol.
Speaker 7: Don't send anyone there now.
Speaker 1: And you are also, or at least before the strike hit where a have been for the last several years, a writer on American Dad, one of the most consistently funny animated shows of like twenty years now almost it's been on the air.
Speaker 7: Stop it stop. Oh, thank you, Robert, Tina, You guys are the best.
Speaker 8: Uh.
Speaker 7: That's very nice of you. Thank you very much for saying that it did.
Speaker 1: Cost a lot of money to get her in the studio today.
Speaker 7: That's very kind of you to say. Yeah, I we try very hard, but It also has like a feel at the show of like the warden isn't watching, Like we're kind of allowed to do what we want, and it's.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you love your job. It's very obvious. I think probably everyone there loves writing for that show. Most of the people I know who write for TV have the same attitude of like, wow, I can't believe I get to do this. But that attitude is great and it makes life livable. But what doesn't make life livable and what makes the enjoyment of the job harder is starving to death, which is an increasing reality for a lot of writers over the last like ten years. So a decade ago, about thirty three percent of TV writers got what was paid like the minimum rate, which is kind of the minimum rate you get paid to get staffed on a union show. And the WGA says that about half of TV writers are at that point. Now, writer pay has declined about fourteen percent over the last five years. And that's with inflation. That's like, if you kind of take out inflation, right, everybody's making a yeah with inflation, it's like, yeah, about twenty three percent writer producer pay over the last decade with inflation factored in so that sucks because people aren't why twenty three percent less TV? In fact, I think we're watching more TV than we ever have before, like so it and I like, if you listen to the kind of numbers given by streaming platforms about how many people are watching it, sure doesn't seem like TV writers have have been gotten twenty three percent worse at their jobs. So anyway, there was the WGA went into negotiations earlier this year and basically to kind of, you know, shorten it, we're asking for more money, more money and residuals, more money and upfront pay changes to some policies that streamers were using to kind of avoid. There's been sort of this effort by streamers for a while now to kind of kill the concept of a writer's room in a lot of shows, and they have a couple of different sort of fucky ways to do that.
Speaker 7: I gotta say, Robert, it is a dream to come on your podcast with you, because you do your fucking homework. I usually I'm the one who has to explain all this stuff, but this is great. I'm loving where this is going.
Speaker 1: You're actually right, Can you walk us through kind of what's been happened, because that's a thing that I think is sort of you miss that on kind of the big level sort of like discussions of this is like what like what a writer's room is and sort of what streamers have been tiny tried to do to change that because fundamentally, like one thing people who know what they're talking about will point out is that like movies are you know, not that scripts don't matter, but it's like a director's medium. That's like the big sort of like guiding you know, through the vision of like what a film is going to be. And TV is a writer driven medium. More often you'll at least hear that a lot. And I kind of want to talk about like what is a writer's room and what has been changing in terms of how studios have been trying to edge that concept out?
Speaker 7: Great, great question. So so writer's room traditionally, like you think back to broadcast television and it's heyday, the way writer's room worked is you had probably first of all, you're going to have like twenty to twenty two episodes a season, and then within that you've got a block of anywhere from like ten to almost sometimes twenty writers. And the reason that you have so many writers on a show like that is because while you're working on it, it's also in production, so as stories are being broken, and that means that there are rooms where people are creating a story together. As that's going on, there's like six other things going on, like you're going to have they're probably filming during that time. And if that's your particular written by episode, like that's the episode with your name on it, you might be on set for that because you're going to be having to make changes on the fly. While that's going on. There's table reads happening, there's joke punch ups happening, So there's generally a separate room for that. And so you need like a pretty big group of people to just make a show, to just write a show. And that's that's to keep the hours within like to keep them bearable. I mean, it doesn't even you wouldn't even turn that into a nine to five. Generally, that's still a lot of hours with a lot of people, but at least it's bearable for everybody. Now, streaming has tried to change that because they're tired of hiring so many writers and they're tired of paying writers and so with streaming, there's different loopholes that they can get into, which is, if you start creating a show before it's even technically green lit, you can start having writers write episodes, but because it's not green lit, you're not beholden to the same rules through the WGA. You can start hiring people at their at a minimum even if they are should be making more than that. And depending on what your position is at as a writer, like you start as a staff writer, then you move up to story editor, then executive story editor, and you move up and up and up from there. Generally, what happens is if you leave a show as as an executive story editor, you don't then go to another show and drop back down to staff writer. You maintain the position that you have because you've now learned the trade enough that usually you have a skill set that's valuable enough that you should be being paid for being an executive story editor. So what they're doing is they're making sure that people are not being paid for the roles that they generally have because they can do that before show has been green lit. And then they will say we're going to write, like, let's just write twelve episodes and that's a lot, like that's a whole season of time, but they're doing it before it's green lit. And then what happens is you will have these writers who are burning the midnight oil trying to get this thing done and calling in a lot of favors from friends because you have such a small group of writers. You have maybe like in a pre green lit room, you've got like three or four people trying to write an entire season of a show, and as they're writing it, they're like they're calling in favors from friends and be like will you come edit this and stuff? Because you don't have enough people for everything. You have to break all these stories simultaneously. You have to know what's going on in each individual room, but you don't have enough bandwidth for all of that. So you're calling in favors from other people. Do we just come and like look at this? Will you just take a look? Like we need like eyes on this, And so you're calling in favors from friends. Students have figured out that they can they can you can ask people to do this. Essentially, it's like they get a natural part of the writing process. Every writer, in every form of writing does a version of this, and they're like, what if we did this to help to make it easier to starve ye, Yeah exactly, and then and then what they would do. There's different tactics beyond that, which is like once those are appen, once those episodes are written, then maybe the studio will will uh. They can kind of pick and choose when they want to release that. They don't have like a it's not like in broadcast television where everything gets released in the fall. It's just like you can choose when you want to release it, So maybe you wait a year or whatever, you release it, and then you can release it in two seasons. So if you have twelve episodes, you can cut those into six six six.
Speaker 1: I fucking hate I think this is a little bit of a distraction, Like we miss by because we're not doing seasons the way they used to. There's so much good shit we miss think like half the best episodes are star trek. We're just like, we have forty dollars to shoot this episode on, Like what can we do with like three guys in a room?
Speaker 5: You know?
Speaker 4: I know?
Speaker 7: Like you yeah, you're like you miss out on those bottle episodes, those like little ones where you're just like or like that. If you think back to Breaking Bad, like there's the fly episode episode Yeah, oh, it's like the best episode of the show because you've got room to stop and breathe and like they'll just characters. Yeah anyway, Yeah, it's like you lose out on all that. Then you can also because you're breaking it up, you don't have to pay people to like advance them to the next the next season, and then that would also be released over the course of like two years. And so you have a writer who's written for maybe like eleven weeks on something on a show, and then they don't know that they have that job again for another two and a half years, and so there's no consistency, there's no and nothing is stable, and that makes it very very difficult for writers to keep their jobs and maintain a writing job.
Speaker 1: It's this really fucked up situation in which I think the streaming era in freeing sort of television from some of like the way that sweeps used to work, the way that a lot of like kind of the way that you would have to like run shows and the way that they aired when you were you were doing it on like fucking cable and they're hand supported. Has allowed for kinds of TV shows and structures of shows that you never could have had, Right, it was just we just watched and The Bear. Probably the standout episode of The Bear from season two is this like episode about a family Christmas party that's just this absolute, like anxious nightmare. That's an hour long episode, twice the length of a normal episode, And oftentimes that's kind of a mixed thing with TVs, but it works in this one, and the fact that it's so much longer actually like helps with like trans you could you can only do that with shows that work the way they do in streaming. That wouldn't have been a thing that you would have gotten to do in nineteen ninety three probably. But while I think like there's a lot of cool stuff structurally that's gotten to come out of that, it's also it's it's made the compensation so much worse. It's made the job so much less reliable. Like it's it's like it's really stark how much more difficult it's become to make a living in TV. Yeah, well TV is more popular than ever.
Speaker 7: Yeah, Yeah, that's like it's making more money than it ever possibly has. In the fast and certainly through streaming. Like they're not, these these studios not moving to streaming because like they're early adopters of technology, the money is there, so they're going to streaming. It's like they're making way more through streaming, but writers are getting paid les and less because they're finding these like wild West loopholes in streaming. Residuals is another one that's like it. The way that residuals work is if you have a show that then gets played again through syndication or through streaming, you should then get a residual check for every time that the episode that you wrote shows up on television. And it was very easy to track that as it would show up on like our show on American Dad. Yeah, I know that it's going to get played on Cartoon Network. I know that it's going to get played at these other spots. The TBS will rerun it at some point, and I can I know when those are coming in. With streaming, it's much more difficult to determine when somebody watched something, not because those numbers don't exist, but because all these platforms that are created by studios will not give out that information. That information is like in a black box where you have no idea how often a show gets streamed. There's a couple of reasons, like people are speculating as to why that might be. One is that either shows are getting watched way more often and people are not getting the proper residuals that they should be, or that the whole business model doesn't quite work. Yeah, it's all yeah, yeah, And if you found out how little people were actually watching television, this whole all investors, everything, the whole thing would collapse. I don't know which is true. I don't care. I just want to know what the numbers are. So like a big part of a big part of this is is the WJA asking different streaming platforms. You got to you got to be more transparent. You got to tell us how well our show is doing, so that we know if people are getting paid properly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's again, it would be one thing if like writers were getting less than ever and TV was just like dying as a as a thing, as a as a creative thing that people want. But there is the money. We know where the money is going. The eight major Hollywood studio CEOs in twenty twenty one made nearly three quarters of a billion dollars an annual salary, which is more than the value of what the WGA and sag AFTRA want to take out of them and increase compensation for their members. For those eight guys, I'm gonna guarantee you Ari Emmanuel the highest compensated of these CEOs over at Endeavor three hundred and eight million dollars. And like, I don't think he made any of your He's not responsible for any of your favorite shows whatever, like lying in the Great you know made you made you laugh or cry or like whatever, whatever joke from American Dad keeps you uh, you know, makes you suddenly start like bawling out laughing while you're driving down the highway. That was not Ari am manual. Ye, neither the shows were Endeavor whatever. You know what I you know what I'm trying to do here, right, Yeah, Yeah, Ted Sarandos whatever fucking you know, Bob Eiger, all these guys like they're they're I mean fundamentally like Bob Iger. One of the big things he did was pushed the The Flash movie out into theaters, really put a lot of money into that thought it was going to be important for the brand going forward. Lost so much money lost, like probably about as much money as like the Writer's Guild is asking for it increased compensation this year, like if they just hadn't made that movie. So let's talk you guys went on strike. What it's been like two months now already.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like day eighty four or something like that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so a little more than two months. How are you feeling, Like, what does it mean like physically to be on strike, like going out and picketing and stuff.
Speaker 7: Great questions, Robert, Uh, It's it's actually really nice. I don't want to say like it's I enjoy it because I would rather be getting paid and not being freaking out about the fact that I don't have my job. But going out it gives me gives me a sense of purpose first of all, each day to like get up and go out of this to the picket lines. Yeah, and you're out there, you're marching around it. You choose your studio, like from the majority of the time I go to Sony or I go to Amazon, and I know the people there. Now it's like going to the gym every day where you get to know the people there and then you build your community, and so I've got this group of people that, like I go there. Those are just people that like I happen to talk to because like we'd see a truck going and we're like, oh, hope that's not teams or truck or whatever. And then and then you just like strike up a conversation with somebody. You start talking, and then you find out that this person like ran Malcolm in the Middle for eight years, and you're like, oh, okay, cool.
Speaker 1: You know, people talk a lot about how the last writers Strike, which was kind of like right when I was getting out of fuck in high school. They're not far from that point, like a year or two later. Uh, how the last writers Strike was kind of what gave us the birth of like a lot of reality TV. You could almost argue there was a degree to which it like was part of Trump's rise to prominence, right, because that's why The Apprentice gets on air, because that's the way the studios can get around paying writers. But I also wonder on the opposite and like, how many shows do we get because of connections people make out of the picket line, because like folks meet each other and get talking, and like I do I do wonder if that's like a thing.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I guarantee it is. I mean it is shocking how like how quickly you just chum up with people and like, yeah, the the contact I shouldn't call. It's like it's not supposed to be a networkating experience, but it just ends up being that, Like you can't help it. Like you're just talking to people and then all of a sudden your jobs come up and you start talking about your work and then people are like after li while, like well, like send me something, like send me some of your writing, and then you just become buddies and like you start working on stuff accidentally together. And I guarantee that, like by the end of this, there'll be writing teams that didn't exist before, and there'll be people who want to make stuff together. Plus the studio pipeline will be empty, so like they're gonna want to like fill it with They're gonna want to fill it. Yeah, when the strike ends, And guarantee, there's gonna be people from the lines who came up with stuff on the lines who are gonna be like we've got lots, like there's what about this and be like yes that buy it.
Speaker 1: We'll take that, and I like just kind of in general, the fact that like that's sort of the the hope, right, Like that's actually the thing that can defeat these giant industry colossuses, not just like writing TV shows with other people, but like the solidarity, like the fact that you're building connections with people, the fact that you there's an understanding of shared interest. You're seeing this especially like now that like sag After has joined the strike. There's a lot of a lot of people who are very famous and prominent talking about issues that go well beyond Hollywood.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 1: The the incredible amount that executive pay and compensation has increased over the years, The fact that a lot of companies that used to do things of value and employee people and good jobs have been hollowed out for the short term profits of you know, vulture capitalists whose job is to you know, fucking suck money out and hand it to shareholders, and shit like this is not just a you know, a lot of this started in the fucking nineties. We've talked about like Jack Welch and ge and kind of like how that company was turned from something that made stuff to something that produced stock value and fired people and you're you're getting that all across entertainment right now. And I think this is I think, and this is something I think kind of everyone knows on some level, this is an inflection point, right, you know. AI is a part of it, the fact that we're about to see them try to use this technology to cut down the number of people they have to pay even further. But it's like this is bigger than Hollywood. Hollywood is just getting a lot of attention because actors know how to get attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is the job.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, that's yeah. Writers are good at building the narrative and ractors are very good at getting attention.
Speaker 1: Then exactly.
Speaker 7: Yeah, it's like it was a it's a worst case scenario, want to say, for like for the studios, and just because it's no coincidence the UPS is going on strike that all these companies are going on strike right now, because the same thing's happening across the board where it's like this consolidation of power and then consolidation of money, and then it's just like all that you are behold to when you are at the top of these companies is the shareholders and like getting them money and so whatevery way you can do that, you do it, and a lot of times the way you do that is that you just fuck everybody at the bottom and figure out how to carve out money from them and bring it rise it to the top. And so yes, I think that it's what happened was the WGA went on strike. The WGA is a very strong, good guild, good union that like does not blink, and and everyone saw that, and immediately people were on the side of the WGA in a way that I think no one anticipated that. All everybody else in unions is like, no, this is wrong, like we should. We were dealing with the exact same stuff, and universally everyone seems to be on the side of unions right now. Then that's like we should use that, like we should, we should ride that wave a little bit. And absolutely they should, because there's there's so many things that are systemically broken right now just happens to be the entertainment industry is the only one that I have it. Yeah, I have skin in the game on.
Speaker 1: We had this moment about a week or so ago where, you know, a couple of weeks ago that it came out that like some anonymous UH Studio executive told a writer at I think it was Deadline that their plan was to the wja's demands were unreasonable and we're just going to kind of wait out until they lose their homes, right until we're on the street, and then well then we can get them to accept it. And you know, this is right around when SAG was, you know, deciding to strike and Ron Pearlman gets on and makes a little video where he basically says, you know, we can burn your houses down, Like there's more than one way to lose a house. And I thought the important thing about sharing that because one of the ways you know, media works is that there's people let the things that people are willing to listen to and that can like affect them and change their minds is partly dependent on the situational context at the time. This is why so many of like the journalist, much of the journalism have done the far right, Like has been articles that I felt like I had to get out within an hour or two of a shooting because people will pay attention to these these things that are problems that are important. They won't lead if I do a deep dive on how this specific kind of radicalization works normally, but if somebody has just been shot, they'll listen, you know, And that's like a fortunate but that's the way people are. And there's this I thought. What I thought was important about that is that not that you know, Ron Pearlman threatened to burn down a guy's house, that's just kind of funny, but what he was doing there that's really valuable that I think more people need to think about is accepting that when you're saying something like, well we just need to wait for writers to lose their homes, that's a violent threat. That is a threat to harm somebody for your own personal gain, and we shouldn't view that as like fundamentally morally different than saying I want to go rob a guy with a thirty eight, right like I don't. I don't feel like there's a big moral gap between them. And you can get people to actually kind of who maybe wouldn't think about that, to think about that this way. And I think that's an important thing to transmit in this time.
Speaker 7: Oh Man, one hundred percent. Yeah, the fact that that what it gives you real context for what they're actually saying when they say we just got to wait them out till they don't have any more money, and like it really starts to hurt their health and well being, Like yeah, you have somebody else being like, oh I can hurt your health and well being and be like okay, I get how those are the same thing, but but but that's not what the way I was saying it was. It was more removed, you see, And so you're absolutely right, like having hell Boy come out and be like there's lots of ways to lose a house, it's like, oh.
Speaker 1: Shit, yeah, yeah, it's a it's a there's like potential right now that I'm glad to see recognized. How are you doing, like just in general with this because it is you know, we've talked about all the good parts. There's a lot that's good. This is like, this is a stressful time, Like I'm wondering like when you wake up and like you hear.
Speaker 7: For acknowledging that, Yeah, that's it's like how you be.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 7: It sucks. It sucks really bad. It sucks particularly badly because I loved my job. Yeah, I when I talk about all these things, a lot of this wasn't happening at my job. My job was a I had working for an animated show that ran twenty two episodes a season that was it would get We knew when we were getting our pickups generally, uh. And it was a system that worked. And I was really really enjoying it and very happy at my job. I was getting paid well, like I liked everything about it. I felt like it was financially stable and I was getting what I deserved, and I was just happy. And that's not what's happening across like eighty percent of other shows right now. And so like we left, we left our show in solidarity of other writers because at some point, you know this, I maybe won't have this job anymore and I'll have to go get another job. And also for all the people who are working those other jobs, and it's really really struggling right now to even make ends meet. We know they're watching, they're working on three different shows a year, like they came and pay their rent, like we're working on behalf of them, but more importantly, like we're striking on behalf of all of the other writers who are going to come along after this, Like the fact that the two thousand and eight strike happened was the reason that my show is so good and has such good benefits and like why the show is is comfortable for writers because they fucking went to work and like they got what they needed from the studios even though it was hard and it was bitter and a lot of them lost their jobs over it. And so now it's just like even though it sucks and I'm not happy about it, it's it's our turn to do it. It's like our turn to make sure that everything works.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's such an important detail that like a lot of the people striking, there's been this kind of like bad faith theme I've seen. I've seen some people on the left do it online where like they'll post some video of like an actor, you know, talking about why they're doing the striking, like this person's net worth is this many millions of dollars And it's like, yeah, well they're not striking for them, Like Ron Peerlman is going to be okay. Ron Pearlman is not going to be forced out of his home. Like that's not why they're doing this, because I mean, yeah, that.
Speaker 7: You can have a you can you can have a good job, but also have a sense of the bigger picture and like a greater a greater good.
Speaker 1: You can just like care about the art form. You know, we're watching journalism get fucking eaten alive right now, and AI is gonna has been a part of like people have already lost their jobs because they and like the thing that keeps getting brought up to me when I'll I'll talk about it to like family or whatever, it's like, well, you know, they're using it to replace these low level jobs, you know, summing up sports articles or like you know this kind of coverage or that kind of coverage. Like it's not the kind of stuff you do. It's not like investigation. You can't have a machine do that. And it's like we have, but how do you think people learn to do what I do? Like part of it is like doing the like that's the feed or right, it's part of what you're saying about like TV writing. It's like they're trying to kill the way in which people learn how to continue this art for Yeah.
Speaker 7: No, it's there's so many parallels between this and what's happening with journalism in terms of like is turning it essentially into a gig economy, which is exactly what destroyed the news yeah, or is destroying the news, but like, yeah, it's it's the same thing. And when you talk about AI, like you if you were to write an episode of a show and you ever written by credit on it, you get a script fee for that, and ultimately, like what the studios want is to just have a piece of shit AI written script to begin with, and then they're not paying a script fee to anybody, and then writers just fix that and so like, yeah, it's it's all these differently cost saving measures then ensure that no one will ever come up through this industry again and learn all the things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there will still be people who become writers, but there'll be people whose parents are rich and so they can afford to work for free for forever. And then and then you know what, we don't get the bear? Yeah, the bear and it's curiously jacked leading man, Where's where's he get the time? When's he putting down the protein? We're not saying him jug a protein shake every twenty minutes. You complained about this on Twitter, and I agree with you.
Speaker 7: The structure that requires the like to get a body like that, the structure you need in your life, and like the regiments that you need to follow, need to be like to a tee every single day. And there's just he's too spontaneous. There's too much going on in his life. He doesn't have tis enough two hours to carve out to go to the gym every day.
Speaker 1: No, this is my only issue, Like, this is what's really threatening my support of the WGA. I just needed an episode of the Bear where all it is is going through his workout routine. He's in the back room. He's doing some pearls, you know.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's got bags of rice back there and he's doing squats with him on his shoulders. I even I want to see him at three am in the morning and I'll buy it. I'll be a five at three am in the morning and he's like going to it anytime, fitness or fucking whatever, and he's like work it out a little bit. I could be like, Okay, there it is, that's what he's doing it there, we got tonefits it in.
Speaker 1: Let me see him get his BCAAs you know, have fucking ritchie, be like you've taken your pre workout today. Yeah, give it, give me a little bit, you know. Yeah, all right, Soren, you got it out here. Do you have anything you want to plug before like perhaps a podcast with our with our other former colleague, Dan O'Brien.
Speaker 7: No, yeah, no, yeah, yeah, I got a show called a Quick Question with Dan and Soorn No, Soren and Dan, oh got him a headliner. Uh yeah, Quick Question with Soren and Daniel. You can check that out anywhere you listen to podcasts. It's basically just Dan and I catching up because we live on opposite coasts and we're good buddies, and uh that's about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, excellent, check out Quick Questions with Soren and Dan special show. Just a thank you. It's a wonderful time. Soren, Thank you so much, and you know, good luck out there on the picket line. To you, to all of the other writers, and to everybody at SAG after it. Thank you.
Speaker 4: This is Mia from the very very Near Future. We found out as we were live recording this episode that Teamster's leadership has cut a tentative agreement with UPS to try to revert the strike. So we've we've decided to leave this in and you're gonna hear us find this shit out. Literally in the middle of an interview of what we thought was going to be a really, really really large strike starting so enjoy it. Strike season here at I could happen here the podcast where things fall apart and sometimes you put them back together again. And as you probably have noticed, presumably from the last interview, maybe from reading the news, maybe from like talking to people who are in unions, we are in a genuinely historic period of labor militancy in this country. That is effectively we are now we are. We are now entering the second phase of the hot Summer of twenty twenty three. We used to have hot summers all the time. People do what that meant, so now it just means like global warming. But long ago in the galaxy, far far away, there are these things called hot summers when everyone would fucking go on strike and there'd be you know, sort of masters just as a capital estate. And yeah, we're fucking going back. There's talk with me about the next series of massive private sector strikes that we're about to get. Is Rehee Smith and Oliver Rose, who are rank and file ups workers and teamsters doing the standard disclaimer. These individuals do not represent the union or the positions of the union. They are speaking as individuals. Yeah, we have this is this is the disclaimer for the lawyers, it is also true. Yeah, but recent Oliver, welcome to the show.
Speaker 9: Hey, yeah, thanks for having us.
Speaker 10: Yeah, thank you much.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm really really glad we can talk to you. So, all right, the day this is going out, it'll be six days before the teamsters are potentially going to go on strike and the current contract runs out. Can I yeah, can we talk a little bit about what? Okay, who is who is going on strike and what do they do?
Speaker 6: Yeah, so there's going to be three hundred and forty thousand UPS workers going on strike, and that's going to be you know, the inside warehouse workers, and that's going to be the delivery drivers and also the theater drivers and the twenty two fours, like all of them.
Speaker 4: Could you explain what oh are?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 6: Yeah, So twenty two four's is a classification of worker where they're kind of half inside and half driving.
Speaker 4: Uh.
Speaker 6: Something that the union has told us is that there's already been a tentative agreement that that classification is not going to exist anymore.
Speaker 9: It was kind of.
Speaker 6: A really raw deal for people that found themselves in that position. Shit, what was the other one that I mentioned? Twos?
Speaker 9: I think theater drivers?
Speaker 6: Yes, so feter drivers are not your regular package delivery drivers. They drive the big semis that you see from like hub to hub and whatnot, and that's how they deliver. Uh So those are the last two classifications that I mentioned. And yeah, we're all going to be going on strike, and well, we are potentially going to be on strike, and if we are, UPS is kind of going to be in a world of hurt because it is very hard to replace three hundred and forty thousand workers and what economists have told me is a tight labor market.
Speaker 9: So yeah, it's going to be very exciting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's I'm excited, like I don't know, you know. It was funny so when when SAG officially walked off and joined the WGA strike, that was that was the largest strike since hilariously, the team Stirs went on strike in the like the year I was born, like ninety seven, And hilariously, that is a title that if this happens, they're going to hold that title for like one month before this, UPS striker places is the largest strike in the US is the nineties.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, it's gonna be wild if we go on strike. While you know, sag Afra is on strike, and while the Writers Guilder are on strike, that's going to be over half a million workers on strike in this country at this time, and that is just going to you know, it's gonna be fucking historic.
Speaker 4: Right yeah. And there's and there's a chance, depending on how long these strikes drag out, that we get to like September, the big the Big three Auto, the UAW goes on strike, and if that happens, that that will be like the most number of people who've been on a strike in this country since like the fifties, which is wild especially, you know, because this is supposed to be a sort of like, I don't know, I think that's sort of the especially interesting thing about this, right is that actual union density is really low and hasn't been increasing that much. On the other hand, like everyone seems to lake unions and everyone wants to go on strike, and I don't know, it's a it's a really interesting sort of set of conditions right now.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, oh yeah. I'm very heartened by, you know, the support that unions have garnered, because, as you mentioned, you know, we are at a low union density. There was like that labor decline that happened, you know, since the fucking like seventies and eighties, right, like the backlash to org nice labor. I am very hopeful that this uh, this strike wave can kind of turn that around, right Uh. You know something that I've been thinking about a lot is uh you know, it's like ups is A is a major, major company in a whole logistics sector, right yeah, and like we can set that standard for that logistics company or like a piece of shit company like Amazon can. So if we win, and we win big, that could absolutely encourage more organizing in those other sectors, leading to an increase of union density. So hopefully that's like the way forward past all these strikes.
Speaker 9: It'd be great. It's sorely needed, sorely.
Speaker 10: Needed, absolutely, and and even beyond you know, the logistics industry, you know, I think we can show that you know, any you know company or corporation that you know, a year after years making these record break and profits, you know, while meanwhile there's poor wear conditions or even unsafe ware conditions. You know, there's hey that does not you know allow you know us to pay rent but food on the table. You know that we can just show that. Okay, you know, we're done. You know, with giving all of the wealth that we're creating to the company and now it's going back into our hands.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And UPS fucking created thirteen billion dollars in profits last year. Yeah yeah, and that's up from I was just reading an article this morning and U and Jacobin written by a fellow UPS team star, and that's up from six point five billion in uh twenty nineteen.
Speaker 9: And they're also giving.
Speaker 4: Doubled the profit. They've over doubled the profits in like Tree, they were.
Speaker 9: Doubled their profits.
Speaker 6: And they keep trying to tell the union that, oh, no, I'm just a poor popper. We don't have money for your demands, Like we're just we're just so poor, and it's like there. Meanwhile, you know, they're given their fucking like CEO and shareholders like dividends and stock buybacks and all of that in addition to the profits that they are reaping, right, because profits is just the cream of the crop, right, Like that's everything past business expenses, what they're paying out like salary, so that's not even being touched. And yeah, no, it's time for us to say we want that.
Speaker 9: We created that.
Speaker 4: So I think that leads it to sort of the next thing I want to ask about, which is, can you talk a little bit about what the sort of specific grievances were that kicked this off. I'm assuming there are a lot, because you know, this sucks, you.
Speaker 10: Know, and there is a wide range of conditions because you know, for a long time, you know, the contract hasn't kept up with both like economic and non economic side of things, you know, and we have kind of two two dynamics where there's you know, well over a majority of like part time workers who aren't getting enough payer hours you know, to afford to live. And then we also have you know, the full time workers who inside warehouse could be working you know, ten twelve hour shifts. You know, we have drivers who are doing you know, twelve hour shifts and you know even up to like fourteen hours you know, every day, and then also getting you know, uh contacted to come in you know on their day off, have to do six day weeks.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 10: Of course on the driver's side, you know, we have these escalating temperatures and meanwhile there's you know, no air conditioners in the vehicles and same you know thing in the warehouse because personally, you know, I work in side warehouse as a loader. So I'm spending you know, virtually all my shift in the trailer loading boxes. You know, there's no airflow, those things, you know, can you know, be five to ten degrees hotter, you know, like at a minimum than the yeah, ambient temperature last summer, like on a mid ninety day, I recorded one hundred and eight degrees you know inside the trailer. So you know, there's not necessarily any kind of protections currently for that. So you know, that's one big lack in the contract is having those kind of you know heat heat protection and you know that is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean that could just kill people. And we've talked about on the show before people who've died like working conditions like that because you know it was it was too hot. But their bosses were like, fuck you, we don't care, like keep uploading this stuff.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and it's absolutely tragic. I know we had a you know, ups teamster I believe in California who died due to the extreme heat conditions last summer. And also no, you know, there was another case where I think a driver stopped at like a convenience store to buy a drink and you know was fire for making you know, an off route stop, even though they tell us, you know, take breaks when you need it, but they don't actually mean it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 10: Yeah, because obviously, you know, you want to be being disciplined or fired.
Speaker 4: One of the things that I saw was part of the negotiations that UPS had offered to be like, oh, well, put in air conditionings in all new vehicles. And I was looking at this and I was like, this is this is the Clean Air Act loophole. I remember this. If you only specify new vehicles, I'll just never replace the old ones. Mm.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, And you know with these companies, they're going to be looking for those loopholes, right Yeah.
Speaker 9: And like, I don't know.
Speaker 6: That I've seen a vehicle that looked new when I'm at my hub. I'm also inside worker and yeah, they all look like they've been around, been around a while, and I don't know that they've been spending the capital to get those new vehicles. So that's absolutely something that we're gonna, you know, keep their feet to the fire on, so to speak.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 6: And then in terms of other conditions that are like really leading up to this right now, there is a big problem with MRAs and no, not the MRAs, you all might be thinking of, this is a market rate adjustment, and both are bad. Both are bad. We are staunchly against both MRAs. And essentially what an MRA does is it sounds good at first, you know, it gives the company leeway to, you know, potentially increase our pay right beyond what's just stipulated in the contract. However, when you kind of get late into the contract, like you know, towards the expiration date, the base pay that was agreed on for the last contract is no longer acceptable. And while it gives them the leeway to increase our rate wage, they can always go back down to the lower wage should they choose to. And last year at the hub that I worked at, it was right after peak, in peak season. We were hired on at twenty seven dollars an hour. And come February, you know, we're all walking into the job and there's one of the supervisors there who is frankly looking like she's not having a good time having to stop to talk to each of us to explain, oh, yeah, so we are going to be bringing your pay down to fifteen fifty an hour.
Speaker 4: Jesus, But don't.
Speaker 9: I know, I know but don't worry. Don't worry. There's an attendance bonus.
Speaker 6: There's an attendance bonus of one hundred and twenty dollars if you make all your shifts, and that really fucking sucked, like if you get like if you get sick, like okay, So like at this hub that I work at, I work at one of the few hubs that don't have what's called the hourly guarantee.
Speaker 9: Most hubs have an hourly guaran.
Speaker 6: If you're a part time worker, you have an hourly guarantee of three and a half hours a day. So if they say that there's no work to be done, you can say I want that hourly guarantee, and they either find you more work to do or they pay that out. And then for full time workers, that's eight hours. I work at one of the few hubs that doesn't. It's a classification related to the type of hub that I am at, And so I'm only like at this hub, I work maybe twelve hours a week if I'm lucky, So this is twelve hours a week at fifteen fifty an hour with an attendance bonus. But if I get sick one of those days, that means I have a paycheck, a weekly paycheck that is going from roughly two hundred dollars to like maybe roughly eighty and that is just it's totally totally unacceptable the way that they can kind of like, yeah, with the plague going on, yes, being sick is highly likely right now. And yeah, no, they're just kind of able to like yo yo us around on these ages like whenever they want. And so a demand that is being circulated in the grassroots of the union. Leadership hasn't really talked about it to my knowledge, but there is, you know, a petition going around to have a starting wage of twenty five dollars an hour, and you know, right now that would only be because right now this year, I'm making twenty four and they didn't do that bullshit. I think kind of an anticipation of the strike coming. They didn't want to make us, you know, more angry, and so that would only be a dollar increase for me, but also it would prevent them from doing that in the future, right Yeah.
Speaker 10: So yeah, I like Reese, you know, also was affected by the MRA, but luckily not as severe. You know, my pay went from twenty six down to twenty three an hour, and of course, you know what ten eleven percent pay cut also same time goes up, you know, ten percent. Uh, that was very difficult enough, let alone having you know, your pay getting dropped almost by fifty percent. You know, there's multiple hubs in the area, and they're all just on different pay scales, you know, for the same kind of you know, same same area, doing the same work, and we had just have these like fluctuating pay scales, you know, I know for us, it was you know, right after peak season, and they're like, oh, thanks so much for the most successful peak season ever. We made record breaking profits. We couldn't have done this without you. By the way, we're cutting all of your pay and now, of course you know we're getting paid above twenty five and hey, that helped their profits. So you know, it's absolutely absurd to say, oh, well, you know, we can't afford you know, these higher wages when they can't.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they don't, exactly, they do hold their fucking profits, Like are you kidding me? Like Jesus Christ, it's like they think we're fucking dumb. It's like, no, like our work bar exceeded what you're paying us, Like an unimaginable amount. Yeah, and you guys like it was earlier on in the complo, not earlier on. I think this happened maybe late June early July. It was they leaked, it got leaked their economic proposals for us, and they had the part timers starting at seventeen dollars an hour seventeen and like, I just I don't think that's affordable anywhere.
Speaker 4: That's just think I'm going to mention that I think is I think it's really important, but isn't particularly well nursed. So you know, if you go back to like the original fifteen campaign, right wage like that wage which was already like kind of nonsense in like twenty twelve, like with inflation that's like nineteen thirty now, Yeah, so this is you know, this is this is how much like inflation has sort of deteriorated wages and that, and that's just sort of like you know, the economic terms, like inflation is like the bundle of goods, right, and that that's not accounting for the fact that, for example, the increase in housing prices has been way higher for the sort of like avig rated inflation. Right. Healthcare costs are increasing higher from the sort of quote unquote Aviatrade inflation, and so like, yeah, it's like, yeah, this sounds like a lot of money. It's fucking not like no, simply is not.
Speaker 6: Like Yeah, I heard at a at a rally not too long ago from one of the speakers for you know, it was a it was a team's rally that you know, we're getting our members hyped and all that, and one of the speakers mentioned that for our city, a minimum wage that could be livable would be twenty six dollars an hour. And I'm just like, yeah, that seems about right, and that's like the bare minimum. That's like, Okay, I can eat enough, I can pay my rent, and I probably don't have a whole lot leftover.
Speaker 10: So yeah, especially when we have you now, like average rent you know for one bedroom you know, around like fifteen hundred dollars you know these days, and so many landlords want, you know, want three times you know that rent and income. So you know, I was actually just kind of yeah, writing you know or you know, doing the math last night, I was just like, oh, okay, so in my hours, I would actually need forty three dollars an hour.
Speaker 3: Just to.
Speaker 10: You know, be making three times the average monthly rent.
Speaker 4: Yep. Yeah, yeah, so.
Speaker 10: That's definitely why you know, twenty five dollars you know an hour is the minimum. You know that, you know, I think we can settle for. I would love to see it higher, but I also recognize, you know, well, you know, maybe twenty five is still not quite cutting it, you know, in a more urban area. But you know, there's going to be a lot of people that's you know, significant gains are going to help so much, you know, to meet their material needs. You know, definitely have to you know, consider this as you know, big picture, this is a national agreement, and you know, we got to get that really solid foundation and then we can expand from there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Well, what the sorry as as as you were talking, I got a thing saying that the teamsters have settled.
Speaker 7: What all right?
Speaker 4: Think?
Speaker 9: Oh my gosh, what the fuck.
Speaker 10: They're they're back at the table.
Speaker 9: At the negotiation table.
Speaker 1: Jesus Christ.
Speaker 6: They've only been at the negotiation table for like four hours.
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, okay, I signal shots here, Yeah, Jesus Christ. Well all right, I don't know if we're gonna leave this in, but yeah, we've discovered live on air that.
Speaker 6: Yeah, teamsters win historic ups contract. Uh oh, we'll see.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I'm also looking at this and see what.
Speaker 6: I'm Yeah, I'm at the teamster dot org website where they have an update on it.
Speaker 10: Yeah, and at least, you know, speaking of wages, at least the first thing that I'm seeing is existing part timers will be raised up to no less than twenty one dollars per hour immediately. Part time seniority workers earning more under a market right adjustment would still receive all new general wage increases.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, this is uh, I'm not stoked on those wages.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, No, I'm definitely I am twenty five or bust on this.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: All right, so that does that will change things.
Speaker 6: That definitely changes the timeline because this still has to be sent out to be voted on and approved by membership.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and what we learned.
Speaker 6: At the there was a call not too long ago where they kind of explained the process of it. So in the event that they would reach at tentative agreement that gets sent out to us, we vote from home and it takes about three weeks for it to ratify. There is still a possibility that membership could vote to reject it, in which case they would be going back to the bargaining table and we could potentially be going on strike then. But this does set it back by now three weeks. It'll be interesting to see what the TDU, which is the Team Service for a Democratic Union, which is a reform caucus inside our union. It'll be interesting to see what their line is on this. So, oh my gosh, what a what a bomb drop to get in the middle of a podcast about this.
Speaker 10: Yeah, unfortunately can't even speak to it since gimmed a little bit of it.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Do they actually have the full agreement out or are they just do they just have this stuff?
Speaker 6: They will not have the full agreement out. Something that we've been having a little bit of frustrations with within our union is that we do not have open bargaining.
Speaker 9: So bargaining happens. Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, bargaining happens behind closed doors, and they occasionally give us updates about what's happening, but we don't really get to see the full picture until we're going to be voting on it.
Speaker 9: And uh, I obviously think this is bad for a number of reasons.
Speaker 6: Yeah, one and a big primary one is these contracts that are negotiated. I was about to go get my copy of the contract I could show you, and then I remember this is a podcas asked, and that's not actually going to be helpful for Hey.
Speaker 4: We do, we do. We do visual bits on this podcast all the time. It's fine.
Speaker 6: So the size of our pok our contract is about the size of a pocket Bible Jesus it is. It is very very big, and it's you know, it's written in that legal ease and stuff like that, and so it's not very accessible to most of our most of our members. And so you know, if we had open and bargaining, if we had consistent like updates where like you know, our union leadership would be like, all right, so this is what we've agreed upon so far, this is what we've rejected.
Speaker 9: This is what it all means.
Speaker 6: You know, in the lead up to like whether or not you vote no, membership could have a far more comprehensive understanding of what is in the contract instead of waiting until the very end as we got little bits pieces and snippets and then being like, okay, well read this and decide how you feel.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's just I don't know if if it feels like it's just a much just kind of designed to like railroad people into signing whatever contract negotiators agree to. Yeah, it's kind of a disaster.
Speaker 10: And without that transparency, I mean, you know, you know, all of us rank and file members are you know, essentially being removed from the process, you know, being involved in the decision making, uh, you know, stipulating what's going to do it, you know, to meet our needs? What what do we need? You know out of these you know, five year contracts, and you know, I think it was just you know, a few days ago, got you know, get an update from the local you know, basically a week before you know the contract ends, you know, and they're you know, talking about this is like one of the most transparent contracts there's ever been. There's all these updates and you know, there's more rank and file, all you know, members involved in the bargaining. And it's like, well, that's great, you know that shows you know how far you know, we've come, I guess, but also it's still just it's kind of sad to think that you know, this, this process that's all banned by NDA is the most transparent transparent it's been.
Speaker 4: And and also the fact the fact that you're fighting this out live on air from like their press release that they put out on Twitter, it's like.
Speaker 6: What yeah, yeah, oh my gosh, absolutely absolutely absurd. Yeah, so it seems like this is a this is an agreement that is going to be pushed by union leadership as a vote to vote yes on UH, which is a kind of a.
Speaker 9: Far cry from earlier in UH in July.
Speaker 6: When you know, you when the team stories were telling ups you need to present us with either an agreement that we like actually agree with or present your life best final offer by July fifth.
Speaker 9: Right, Yeah, and yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So.
Speaker 6: Yeah, we'll we'll see how how the rank and file react. In the twenty eighteen contract. I know that the TDU tried to UH organize a vote no campaign and they did get a simple majority of the membership to vote no. However, at the time and this has now been changed, but at the time, in our constitution, it would require a two thirds majority to have rejected it, and goes to strike Jesus Christ.
Speaker 4: Was it was? It was?
Speaker 3: That?
Speaker 2: Was that?
Speaker 4: Because it was was that? Because it has one of those weird like electoral college systems or was it like you need two thirds to project?
Speaker 9: It was a it was a you need two thirds.
Speaker 6: That has been changed when when Sean, when the Reform slate was elected and they had their Teamsters convention, they changed the constitution so that it would be a simple majority. So yeah, well we'll see what TD the line that TDU wants to take, and yeah, yeah, we'll see. This certainly puts a wrinkle in things. I'm gonna be honest, I was actually really looking forward to strike pay because my strike pay would have paid more than my.
Speaker 4: Actual job does. Yeah, And I mean, I think there's like, I think there's a few things that we can sort of immediately talk about from this. One is that it doesn't like nothing they've put out here from what I've read so far, I'm reading, I mean literally, I'm reading from the Teamsters website says you're doing anything about market rate adjustments at all.
Speaker 9: Mm hmm.
Speaker 4: And the second thing is that you know, we we you know, we were talking earlier before we knew that there was a strike about sort of the impact of this on the entire class. And it really looks like both the Teamsters and ups, like you know, really wanted to cut a deal as you know, part of part of this attempt to keep everything going and to keep this stuff from happening, which I mean I think makes sense, right if you're you know, if if you're UPS, you don't act like we're we're having an actual sort of like workers and surgaency like having having having a summer this hot like isn't good for like, it isn't good for UPS. It's arguably not good for some of the more sort of like some of the more sort of conservative union leaderships either who do who unlike a lot of workers do not want to be on strike because that like that cut that cuts into the sort of war chest of capital that they have to manage.
Speaker 9: Mm hmmm hmm.
Speaker 6: Yeah, absolutely, absolutely, Uh, they're you know, they're just recently on Twitter or excuse me, x it's now, but just recently on Twitter there was a fair amount of a strike discourse, and there was like you know, labor activists and stuff saying that, you know, like it's good, it's good for you know, if they reach a tentative agreement that you know, so yeah, yeah, if they reach a tentative agreement that you know, makes those material gains, it's better to not go on strike. And like, I I know, I know, like and to me that's like a little bit wild because one there is so much and we could demand so much more. But also like you know, collective action, you know, in order to be consistent, to be good at it, it requires you to undertake it, right Like, and you know, when I think about like how our local is, they have a very service model orientation to unionism as opposed to an organizing model, and I, you know, I was really under the impression that this potential strike could have kind of like you know, lit a fire under their ass and like kind of got back into like the organizing aspect of unionism, right uh.
Speaker 9: And like they weren't that great at that.
Speaker 6: I swear sometimes we would talk to them about like, hey, so, like have you tried like mobilizing members.
Speaker 9: Have you tried like showing up the gates? Have you?
Speaker 6: Like you know you can like there's like programs out there where you can text your entire membership about like you know, come to this like contract update. And it's like we were just speaking a different language. Like they just had no idea, Like they had no idea, and they would look at our union meetings where like you know, we represent like I think over like a like I think well over like one thousand workers. I don't have the numbers on that, so I'm not going to get more specific, uh, but like well over that. And they would look at our union meetings where we have maybe fifty to seventy people, and they're just kind of like, well, this is just as good as it's going to get.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and that's nonsense, Like it's nonsense.
Speaker 6: It's nonsense, like you know, like back in the fucking like you know, from like the tens to the fifties, union meetings would bring in just so many people and they don't have anywhere near the like technological advance advantages that we have now. And it was just it's very much like, yes, you tell us about your grievances, we get those filed, and we do make those like wins for you, and like that's that's good. Like you know, there are some unions that barely do that much, and the fact that they do that is great.
Speaker 9: But like you know, at my hub, I.
Speaker 6: Remember I was I was talking to my carpool and he didn't even know who his steward was. And I'm like the only person that gives him updates about what's going on in the union. Yeah, and that's just because like when I started working at UPS, I was just like, yeah, I'm going to go to these fucking union meetings. I'm gonna find out what's going on. I want to be in involved. And most people, you know, it's just a job for them, and they don't know all the things that a union can provide for them or how a union can back them up. And part of that's because you know, union leadership, you know, has decided that that's not something they really they don't need to be as engaged with the members as they could be.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Well, and there's there's a second thing there too, which is like, okay, if you are like you know, if if if if, if you are someone you know, if you were in a position of leadership, and you're in your position of leadership. Because there's incredible base, there's like really really lowd attendance for union elections, right, really load turnout, which is which is usually true, right like union union election turnout tends to be just atrocious. You don't actually want more people being involved because the more people that are involved, the more likely is it a bunch of people are going to show up in the election. Someone's good and you know when someone's gonna look at one of the deals you cut and it's gonna be like, what the fuck are you doing? Right, So there's there's there's a lot of sort of perverse intensive structures in terms of like just to sort of the basic organizational electoral structure that gets you, you know, like people cutting deals and culling and you know, like trying to cut off the sort of like hot summer and its knees.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I have something funny that's kind of related to that. So when we were voting to authorize a to authorize a strike, right, you know, we did it and all of that, and you know, Sean O'Brien announced that there was going to be voting at the gates and our local. Initially it was like, oh no, we're just going to have people come to the hall between the hours of eight and ten on two specific days and we'll do voting that way. Eventually they did change it after they got pressure I think probably from up top and below. But one of the members who is involved was like, oh no, no, no, no, like it'll be better if it's just the people that are motivated enough to go, because they're the ones that are going to like vote the thing on through. And that was just that was wild too, seeing that sort of perspective, because if we you know, if the union is there, if like you know, our union reps, our business agents, if they're there, if they're constantly engaging membership, then we will all be on the same page. Like they're the ones that have all of the like you know, the like technical information. They're the ones that can really talk to they can talk to people about you know, like this is how much UPS is making and profits, this is like what they're paying our CEO, this is.
Speaker 9: All of this. You deserve more and we're going to fight for it.
Speaker 6: And if they had those constant interactions, you would all be on the same page and we wouldn't have to worry about, well, if there's increased voter turnout, it might make the vote kind of iffy, you.
Speaker 10: Know, like, yeah, there's definitely you know, that's been one of my biggest scripes is around uh, you know, communications, particularly you know from the local which is kind of practically non existent, and you know, it's there's so many even like between new hires and you know, even people have been there a few years. A part timers like don't know their rights under our contract and you know it was only because of organizing and you know, talking with people that I know those rights and can you know then share that you know knowledge with other you know, teamsters. But it's kind of like, well, why why are we having to do this? And I mean, of course internal organizing, you know, knowledge is super important, but it'd be nice, you know why, you know, why isn't there a you know, like a welcome packet. Why are there you know, not more maybe not like full meetings, but at least something where you know, our union officials can meet with rank and file members. And I think I'm partly you know, speaking to that because you know, the shift I work is during union meetings, so you know, attending those is not you know, not quite feasible, uh, you know for me or other people on my shift. And I know that's also kind of seems like it's led to this like some contempt for part timers like oh, we're not involved, you know, we don't care, but it's like we don't you know, we don't necessarily know you know about the meetings, or that you know, there's the scheduling conflict, or you know, again talking about like we don't even know what our you know, basic rights are you know under our contract.
Speaker 4: Well, it's like a like you can't you can't not explain to people. You can't not onboard people and then complain that they're not onboarded, Like come on, this.
Speaker 10: Is a sad self fulfilling prophecy there. You know, you're creating the outcome that you think you know already exists because you're not engaging members.
Speaker 4: So there was no other thing that I wanted to talk about, which is that there's been a lot of like I don't know, I've been seeing this in sort of various places in the discourse talking about the strike, which is that there's a lot of people who basically are holding onto the notion that a people don't want to strike and b that like striking is bad and that you should want to do it as little as possible. And you know, this pisses me off for like a lot of reasons, one of which is that, like my grandma was a teamster and she was a she was a union punch card operator. Like back in like the seventies and eighties, and you know, my grandma is like like not like a leftist, right like, we have to stop her from giving money to the Fallen Gong. Like she's so you know, this is this is the kind of thing super dealing with you, right, But like she loved going on strike, right like. And that's the thing that like my family who's not like particularly sort of labor friendly or like, oh yeah, no, we love going on strike. Because that's that's why she has insurance, right because because the team shirts were going with any eighties teams just go on shrike, and I you know, and I think I think that's an everything that's like this, you know, this kind of well okay, then there's two ways to look of it at it. One is that it's a fundamental misreading of the situation that's happening right now, which is, no, people absolutely love going on strike. People are really excited to go on strike. People who people whose politics are not like, you know, people whose polities are not aligned with the left, really like going on strike and are really excited about it. And this is something that's happening sort of irrespective of this, there's been a bunch of wildcat strikes. This is something that's been happening sort of irrespective of like actual union membership, as people want to do this. We've also seen sort of the great resignation over the last few years of you know, what is effectively a massive like part of the reason the conditions for labor are like this strong right now is because there's been this massive informal strike of people just sort of of people, you know, walking off the job, like deciding their job fucking sucks and quitting, and that's been putting a lot of pressure on employers and you know, and as simultaneous this, you know, I think I think the reading of this that's more sort of cynical is that, like, these people know this, right, they know that people want to go on strike, and they're looking at it and they're terrified, and their conclusion is like, we have to fucking stop, you know, we have to stop with this wave of labor militancy before it gets going. Because if it gets going, and you know, if you're like, if you're you know, like a sort of centrist liberal politician, or if you're like a conservative union bureaucrat, like that's terrifying for you, then there's you know, there's there's a lot of people who have a lot to lose if if you know, like if really sort of a president wave of labor militancy gets going.
Speaker 9: Yeah, absolutely absolutely.
Speaker 6: You know, when I think of, you know, people in wanting to go on strike, I guess I'll touch on two things here, which is that you know, at my hub, whenever we talk about going on strike there, you know, there is a sense that, yes, people really want it, and also they're really worried that they aren't going to be able to that. Like, you know, we're going to get this kind of agreement that most people will want, and it's not going to happen, and we've had all of this build up and you know, it's kind of kind of you know, fall flat. And then you know, also I've a fair amount of time on picket lines as like a community supporter, and you know, there is something incredibly magical about being on strike, you know, like there's often just this outpouring of community support for the workers, right and workers get to see that their labor is extremely valued by the larger community, and I think that is really important. I think that builds bonds of solidarity, and you get to see the other unions who come out and support of your strike, and then you know, you go and support them, and then it creates Yeah, it creates these bonds that you know aren't really they can be achieved without it, but it's just so much more bonding. I guess I'm going to use the term bonds a lot, but and there really isn't a substitute for it. And you know, and then people also they get to experience the power that they have as you know, as labor right like they be can they realize it's like oh wait, no, Like I'm on strike and this company is like the shit is hitting the fan for them because they don't have us who know how to do our jobs in there doing them right. Like you know, I was at a picket line for this other company a few years back, and like the workers there on the line were constantly giving the updates. They'd be like, yeah, man, it's wild I heard in there that like, you know, the managers are trying to do our jobs and like none of what they make is edible and they're throwing it all away and like breaking the machines are breaking like yep, and so they're one they're seeing that, yes, their labor is specific, it has value, it is necessary and crucial, and they are getting that community support and you know, there's not a lot of other opportunities for those realizations to happen.
Speaker 4: So yeah, and I mean this is something that like I've literally seen this, like our teachers union. We've talked about this a bit on the show, but like our local teachers union in Chicago, like got you know, they got to reform caucussy and they're not perfect, but you know, they're they're much better than what was happening before. And you know, and one of the things they do is they've they've been on strike a lot of times. Go to last about Deck, like decade, a decade, bit over a decade, and it changed the city. Like Chicago is a you know, was for i mean decades, decades and decades. This just like interminable machine run like neoliberal hellhole. And you know, I mean I'm not going to say like Chicago's like some kind of like you know, like beacon of the Left or whatever, but like the city is just different after it. And it was just the one truck they kept they kept going on Shrek and they kept going on the Shrek, and you know, you can you can look at the quality of their wins and you can sort of like you know, like I mean there's a like I know, I mean, like I know people who like have quipbals with sort of like exactly what happened in the contract negotiations, but like you know, they they went on strike multiple times and they won and that really and then you know, the every thing happened is the thing you were talking about, right, is like suddenly you're at these pickets and like the entire community is showing up, like everyone's showing up with food, Like it changed, it changed the city, and you know, and I think this guess is an everything I think is important here about and what's you know, sort of the potential that being averted is. The interesting thing about this strike wave is that we've had a number you know, we've we had like the whole we had sort of the wildcat teacher strikes in twenty seventeen. We've had a couple of a couple of waves of teacher strikes, but like most of the strikes that have been happening at public sector unions, we haven't had these giant strikes other than basically, I mean there's been some right, there's there's there's been a lot of strikes in the healthcare sector. We haven't had a strike like at this scale in the private sector in you know outside basically like the Team series and is like the Team Series and like the Guild are like the only two big unions on that who go on strike like even kind of regularly. Even that's like that's like a once in like twenty year thing, right, And so I don't know, like I think, I think just sort of the the potential of what's being lost here is enormous if if what happens is that this deal, which is like I'm not great from when I've seen it from the initial things. Although again, like we still don't fucking know what's in this deal, and we're not going to for like a bit at like at least until they fucking release the thing.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 10: Yeah, I mean obviously, you know, we'll we'll we'll have to see, you know, what's what's in that agreement. Yeah, but you know, at least just you know, for you know, my own views, you know, it's any you know company you know that's paying you poverty wages, or you know, there's unsafe work conditions and just seems like, well, on principle, there needs to be a work stoppage, like that's you know, if you're going to treat people that way, that's just the result.
Speaker 9: Yeah, yeah, yeah, absolutely.
Speaker 6: Something that I'm like kind of thinking about right now is like, so, like the twenty one uh seventy five I believe it is for part time workers. You know, that is a significant increase from the fifteen fifty, but we're just at the beginning of our five year contract.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, like I.
Speaker 6: Feel like, you know, like it's being viewed as like, oh, well, that's like okay for right now. It's you know, kind of not but it's really just not going to be okay in five years when we have to have these contract negotiations again. And because we're not starting out with a solid twenty five dollars an hour, we're going to be playing catch up to what is not really okay right now. Like it's just gonna like it's like it's just going to keep happening. You know, by the time we get to twenty twenty eight, you know, probably get up to twenty five dollars an hour. Maybe, but by that time, you know, who knows what we're actually going to need in order to survive in this economy. Yeah, so, you know, I feel like that wage is just not it's not proactive enough for what we're going to need in the coming years. And you know, in there there is stuff about like, you know, wage increases for like you know, however long you've been there and stuff like that. But yeah, I you know, you know, like I graduated from high school in like two thousand and eight, and I just feel like the my entire life, the economy has just been fucking shitty. And when they tell me the economy is great, my finances are still fucking shitty.
Speaker 4: And you know, this is one of the old twenty eleven slogans that like, well don't I guess it's also two thousand and eight slogan that like, people need to fucking remember that when the bank takes your house. GDP goes up. The economic indicators that we have are are you know, they're they're bushw economic indicators right like they are they are. They are designed to measure how well capital is being extracted from you.
Speaker 9: Mm hmm, yep, yep, yep, yep.
Speaker 10: Definitely no reflection on our actual you know, day to day lives, you know what what our needs are. Yeah, and hey, some people made money off of your labor, so things are good unless you know you're the labor.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And like you know, I think, I think, and everything that happens a lot is like yeah, like you know, it is entirely possible that a bunch of people who are you know, making like seventy thousand dollars a year are fucking doing.
Speaker 7: Great right now, and it's like, well, bully for them, like we're fucking not.
Speaker 11: Yeah, yeah, yeah, you know, and speaking to you know, to the you know what the things you know, look five years out, which you know, it seems like, you know, things just kind of get exponentially worse.
Speaker 10: You know, I don't know what you know, the environment, you know what our climate's going to be. I don't know what you know, inflation or food costs, you know it's going to be and you know so far, you know, i'd need to see the you know what the Tenet Agreement has on that market rate adjustment. And then there's also the cost of living adjustment too, which at least what I believe is, you know it doesn't kick into like you've been there for five years, so I guess you just aren't living for those first five years. I don't know.
Speaker 6: You know that my utilities and my rent waives my bills for the first five years that I worked for UPS.
Speaker 4: Someone someone someone, So someone also like, go find the statistics on how many people get fired at four years and eleven months, Like yeah.
Speaker 10: And that's yeah. I mean that's also when the pension uh minimum investment investment time is five years. You know, that's also something I've thought about, Well, what happens on a four years and eleven months is that when you know, now even got a bigger target on my back, it's like already a thorn on their side.
Speaker 4: They did the thing I said they were going to do, where it says UPS will equip in cab a c in all large delivery vehicles, sprinter vans and packaged cars purchased after January first, oh, twenty twenty four. Fans are getting cars getting two fans in an induction event in the cargo compartment, which is good, but also not air conditioning.
Speaker 6: It's not air conditioning and it gets very hot in those trailers. And yeah, no, it's like yeah, and all large except you know, all things purchased after January first, twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so it's just like, you know, yeah, it's like they will start purchasing cars again in like twenty ninety four.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Yeah, nothing in there about retrofitting those cars.
Speaker 9: Well I think interesting cars.
Speaker 4: I think they're well, okay, I don't know. This is another thing, like it's it's unclear to me exactly what a lot of this means because we you know, like we we were like we we can't get the actual contract, which is yeah, like yeah, so this is we need to I guess also like prefaces like this is what we're not doing legal analysis of this. This is our speculation based on what we're reading. This is this none of this constanity's finding legal advice. Yeah, but yeah yeah, hey I.
Speaker 1: Just work here.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 6: Another thing that I'm like noticing in this contract. So another big grievance that was had was the lack of full time positions and so like if you want to get a full time inside job, you know there is a seven to ten year wait list for that, right.
Speaker 9: So this us, this tenetive.
Speaker 6: Agreement stipulates that there will be a creation of seventy five hundred new full time teams or jobs that ups and the fulfillment of twenty two thousand, five hundred open positions, but it doesn't specify if that's going to be for inside work or for uh, you know, more more drivers. And you know, I have I have epilepsy, So I Am not going to be a driver. That's just doesn't seem ideal for me. And yeah, I would I would like to see some numbers on so that wait list is that going down, like, because that's like what I'm waiting for is to be able to you know, snag one of those full time inside positions, but I don't know. And like when you think about, you know, seventy five hundred full time positions, it's also worth to keep in mind that ups employees three hundred and forty thousand people.
Speaker 4: So it's like yeah, wait, so yeah, so that's a two percent.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's like, yeah, it's like two percent. And like admittedly, like you know, forty percent of that workforce is already like they're full time drivers, but so that's like sixty percent of that is part timers. And you know, I'm not going to make anyone do more math but seventy five hundred for sixty percent of three hundred and forty thousand people.
Speaker 5: Is.
Speaker 9: It's not as exciting as just seeing that number.
Speaker 7: Yeah, right, which is like a shook, Like.
Speaker 10: And this goes into something you know I've noticed, you know, with you know, coworkers, which is always talking about you know, like you know, we need more hours and that you know that that is true to a degree. You know, really though it's like, well we need more pay, you know, I you know, I think that's you know, would be a sign you know, when it can be you know, like a really strong union is that you know, we can even to say, yeah, you know what, maybe people shouldn't be working seventy hour weeks. Yeah no, maybe we should cap that at thirty with you know PT pay that you know pays like full time. But of course you know we're not there. You know, we need these jobs that can actually provide you know, definitely not going to knock that, but you know, would definitely like to see that overall shift kind of just you know in our culture of you know, we don't need to work more to have our needs met.
Speaker 4: I think it's also sort of important to understand about ups jobs. It's like you're fucking destroying your body. So especially if you're like if you're if you're if you're one of the people shorting packages like you are lifting, like you were lifting like thousands of packages a day. These things can weigh up to like eighty fucking pounds.
Speaker 9: They can weigh up to one hundred and fifty.
Speaker 4: One hundred fifty Jesus Christ, never.
Speaker 10: Mind, Okay, one fifty is the other limit. Seventy pounds is where you know you can do team lift. Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know. Talking to a feeder driver recently was talking about having a you know, two of those trailers hooked up and weighing in at something like seventeen thousand pounds on the scale. Jesus Obviously you know that's the cabin engine included, I believe, but you know, that's not my world. I'm kind of completely unfamiliar with that side of things. But still, yeah, it's like a lot of weight, you know, because we're carrying so many packages every day. Yeah, it's a lot of wear and tear on the body.
Speaker 6: And management is always pushing you to move faster too. Yeah, Like I had a u a worker who is a feeder driver for another hub, and she was telling me that a supervisor there was telling newly hired part time employees that it's actually safer to work faster.
Speaker 9: Instead of slower.
Speaker 6: What. Yes, Yeah, that makes no fucking sense, no fucking sense at all. And like one of the reasons they have an incentive to make us work really fast, which is that the full time soups get a parts per hour bonus, uh, depending on how fast we go. So you know, they will harass you into working faster even though you know we're moving these thousands of fucking packages. They'll harass us to move faster so that they get a bonus off of the packages that we handled and moved.
Speaker 10: I mean, like this last week in the you know, I think it was like mid nineties outside or something. You know, we're not getting Oh do you need water? Do you need to rest? It was, oh, you're not working fast enough. Like your packages per hours you know, too low. You know, it's that kind of constant you know, harassment or you know maybe sometimes like you know, I know, my supervisor is a little bit more subtle about it, you know, versus you know outright being like, oh, you need to work faster because That's the thing is in our contract. You know, there's no kind of productivity quota. You know, we work safe, we follow the methods. That's something I really try and you know, really focus on because you know, ideally, yeah, I want to you know, I would like to be here longer. Yeah, silly enough as that is for a job with terrible conditions, but you know, also it's a job that and that Yeah, that's the big thing. And it's like, I don't you know, what's a pinch you're going to do if you know, I'm you know, have some kind of you know, grave injury from from the job pension but still, yeah, you're dead with heat exhaustion.
Speaker 4: Like's like, well a pension doesn't pay out, Like.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's just it's just yeah, it's wild. It's wild, man. I am going to be really excited to see how this, how this smoke goes.
Speaker 10: Yeah, it's gonna be an interesting day at work.
Speaker 6: Yeah yeah, yeah, I'm sure that I'll have those people that know that I know about the union come up and talk to me to ask me what I think about it U because I'm the only person they know that knows anything about the union. Because as we talked about earlier. Union reps just are barely ever there. Yeah, and yeah, we'll see, we'll see. Man, that's I'm just now really thinking about that. Seventy five hundred full time jobs three percent, two or three percent, depending on the metric that you're looking at.
Speaker 10: Yeah, absolutely, I mean not enough.
Speaker 6: No, no, no, wild wild, And now that addis is a at best, a delayed opportunity for a strike to build those as we talked about earlier, those necessary, necessary muscles that need to be exercised.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and that's at best. You know, we might have we might have missed it. Yeah, yeah, well we'll see, we'll see.
Speaker 4: Yeah that that fucking sucks.
Speaker 6: Yeah, what a curveball to get for the podcast.
Speaker 4: Well, honestly, unless you have anything else you want to talk about. Yeah, I actually going to wrap up this incredibly chaotic episode that it could happen here, in which we discovered the chaos of a not open bargaining process and what that looks like life what air?
Speaker 9: Yeah? Yeah, exciting times.
Speaker 6: But yeah, I think I think I'm good. I feel like I hit all my notes and some that I wasn't even planning on hitting because we had this new information.
Speaker 4: So right, good lord.
Speaker 10: I was like, it couldn't have been like an hour earlier, so I could have at least oh my gosh, Well, you know you can join us next for the live analysis of the over three hundred page contract.
Speaker 9: That we got, like just the highlights of Oh.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but thank you to you both for thank you both for coming on. And yeah, I guess I guess if the strike happens, we can talk to you again or maybe also if it doesn't, I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah, absolutely, absolutely thank you for having us on. Yeah, I love to stay in contact to talk about if we do go on strike or you know, if we don't, would love I would absolutely be open to a follow up on that.
Speaker 4: And yeah, okay, so where can people go if they want to support like the strike or also potentially the rake and file workers who are trying to like make sure it happens. Yeah, I would say.
Speaker 6: That a good place to follow, or like a good source I guess to follow would be to follow the Team Service for a Democratic Union. If there is going to be any movement that is in the union that's organized, it's going to be coming from them most likely, So they are the better version. I would say to follow on that front. And of course you can still follow the regular uh teamsters page and stuff like that to see what's going on. But yeah, yeah, it's gonna be weird. I don't know what the TDU line is going to is going to be on this, so it's like.
Speaker 10: We'll see and you know, hopefully, you know, if we can strike obviously, Yeah, come out to yeah, support your fellow workers, and you too will also be able to coordinate, you know with rank and file on union reps. You know what kind of needs there might be out on the picket line.
Speaker 9: Yep.
Speaker 10: Yeah, also, and yeah, thank you very much for for having us.
Speaker 4: Yeah, thank you for coming on. Yeah, this has been nicking happen here, go on strike. Don't let your leadership tell you not to go and strike. Simply do the thing and organize so you could do it again.
Speaker 1: Ah, it could happen here. A podcast that is right now happening in your ear. It could happen a year. That's what we should call it. Garrison. We're changing the name. We're rebranding our valuable valuable titles, uh completely moving moving overnight to a whole new thing based on a whim you.
Speaker 3: Know, gam bitzer.
Speaker 1: Uh yeah, this is a this has been a fun week. We're all laughing a little bit at Elon Musk. But we have something serious to talk about today, and that is everybody's favorite fascist governor, Ron DeSantis. Garrison. You and I spent just way too much time last week talking about meetball Ron, and now now we're back. Now we're back because he's he keeps meatballing meetball. Ron is is ballin and meeting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we wrapped up like a like a two part episode on Ron Desandres's use of Fashi rave asthetics, and then like two days later, the funniest thing happened, uh where he just decided to basically basically post Son and Rounds. So we're gonna we're gonna get to that. But first there's a whole bunch of other information that's come out these these past like really three days that have kind of that are actually giving more context to what's going on at the DeSantis campaign because stuff doesn't look too good. Actually, you know, he he kind of looks like he's losing everything as he slowly watches it all crumble. So let's see, let's start by talking about everyone's favorite topic campaign finances. I know this is what everyone tunes in to listen to.
Speaker 1: Yes, we love campaign finances.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so last week the public finally got a glimpse at DeSantis's campaign finances. The financial disclosures showed that DeSantis had about twice as much staff as Donald Trump and as of last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Morrison, you just said that, and I imagine in my head for a second that you were referring to the amount of staff infections he's had versus Donald Trump.
Speaker 3: That's not true, though, Trump's definitely had more staff.
Speaker 1: There's almost no way, yeah, that Trump is not leading in the staff infections category. Please, I'm sorry to itterrrupt.
Speaker 3: But as of last week, the Florida governor had already spent about forty percent of the twenty million dollars fundraised from April to June of twenty twenty three, So the campaign's suspending rate was averaging more than two hundred hundred and twelve thousand dollars per day, which is an astronomical cost for a campaign for someone like running for president. Basically for the first.
Speaker 1: Time this far out too from the season proper hit.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's absolutely absurd. The inflated number of staff heavy use of private jets and luxury event venues has his campaign essentially just burning through cash and with very little seeming to come of it in terms of positive poll numbers. So another thing that they've.
Speaker 1: Gained maybe a point or so on Trump over the last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, after spending two hundred thousand dollars per day for the past like four months. Another thing that these financial disclosures exposed is DeSantis's heavy dependence on high contributors. So just just about fifteen percent of fundraising contributions came from donors who gave less than two hundred dollars, and the vast, vast majority of DeSantis's money has come from donors who gave the legal maximum of three three hundred dollars in the primary, which also means that those who gave that can cannot contribute any more money either. So he's running out of people that are actually able to fund his operation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's worth noting he does have a super pack. You are not limited in how much you can donate to a super pack, but super packs cannot spend money on the same things as general campaign funds, right, Like, there are limitations in what you can use that on. So this is actually a logistical problem for him that he has maxed out his donor base.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and The New York Times has reported that future like large prospective donors have been spooked by DeSantis' sliding poll numbers and they may be less willing to invest in what's looking like a losing battle. So to combat these swelling campaign expenses, including two hundred and seventy nine thousand dollars at the four seasons in Miami, DeSantis's Tallahassee based campaign has began undercoing massive cuts to campaign staff this past week. Previously, DeSantis had upwards of ninety people on payroll, but just this month they've eliminated thirty eight jobs in a variety of departments, cutting more than one third of his payroll. DeSantis' cutbacks are nearly equal to the size of Trump's entire twenty twenty four campaign staff. Dessentus' campaign manager Grenera Pek said in a statement I believe late last week quote following a top to bottom review of our organization, we've taken additional aggressive steps to streamline operations and put Ron DeSantis in the strongest position to win this primary and defeat Joe Biden. So that was their little statement accompanying the news of firing almost forty people from their campaign. According to The New York Times, advertisers are quote promising to reorient the DeSantis candidacy as a quote unquote insurgent run and remake it into a quote unquote leaner, meaner operation. So this is the new strategy that they're trying to do, is instead of having ninety people on staff in a largely ineffectual strategy, have a more insurgent run with a smaller number of people. But in addition to the dozens of staff members who've been let go this July, to senior advisors have also departed this month to work for an outside pro DeSantis nonprofit. One of these senior advisors, who was supposed to oversee the campaign's television messaging, voluntarily left quote as the reality of a disappearing advertising budget set in. So these these two more more kind of seasoned Republican advisors saw what was happening in the campaign, and they're still pro DeSantis, but they believe they can be more effective by working from outside of the actual campaign. That's so funny, which is not a great sign for DeSantis's internal internal team here if you have people like who's still like you, but they just can't work for you because you're doing such.
Speaker 4: A bad job.
Speaker 3: Uh so decidus. His team is now telegraphing a plan to engage with mainstream media that in the way that they have not previously done because they've he's so far kind of scornfully avoided it, as we've talked about previously. And they're calling this new strategy the DeSantis is Everywhere approach, which is a good Jesus Christ bad name for strategy.
Speaker 1: The part of the problem, Garrison, I don't know how to, like, I can't like prove this the way that we prove, you know, when we're when we're tracing back the ideological roots of like a lot of our modern fascists. But what I what I believe in my heart is that so many of these very young people on the extreme right who are who are driving this campaign like just want to be villains from a bad late nineties early two thousands movie. They want to be they want to be the bad guy in like the fucking super villain hero movie. Right, Like that's you don't you don't say that about a guy who's good like this. You wouldn't like the Biden campaign. If they came to Joe and we're like, we want to do a Biden is everywhere thing, he'd be like, now that sounds kind of creepy. Guys like I already got a little bit of a problem with that, what with a hair sniff, and I don't really want to really want to jump on that train.
Speaker 3: You know, Like it definitely has the vibes of like zoomers who grew up watching like late nineties animated and superhero cartoons who are trying to like it.
Speaker 4: Yes, we're trying.
Speaker 3: To emulate that for some reason. There is one one really funny quote from The Times that that I will read because because it quotes like internal sources that that I don't have access to. But anyway, quote one person close to mister DeSantis, who requested anonymity to speak candidly about a candidate whom the person still supports, said the governor had experienced quote unquote a challenging learning curve that has left him quote unquote a little bit jarred.
Speaker 1: So does sound like a six year old who's like not quite progressing fast enough. In the reading where they're like maybe we need to try teaching him another way, Like we'll get out the different colored books.
Speaker 3: Like, yeah, so's he seems to have a rough adjustment period to campaigning in just more than one state and having an actual like opponent to go up against. Also like an opponent who's like actually a good who's like good at being like a politician. Yeah, so yeah, a challenging learning curve.
Speaker 4: Indeed, I might I.
Speaker 1: Might specify I think actually DeSantis is a lot better as being a politician than Donald Trump. But that's not what the competition is.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Destus is better at being like an effective like governor.
Speaker 5: H He's better.
Speaker 1: He's better at the machinery of politics, yes, whereas Trump is better at holding power within the GOP.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and being like a showman.
Speaker 1: Yea, we will.
Speaker 3: We will talk more about some uh some actually relatively breaking news regarding the de Santas campaign.
Speaker 1: Shortly for this, I just saw this before we got.
Speaker 3: On short shortly after this at break. Okay, we are we are back. So a lot has happened the past two days, A lot has happened the past two hours actually, but we're we're gonna have to work our way there. The first bit of news that was kind of both It was both confirming my suspicions and in very a very interesting piece of news in the first place, is that that fast Wave inspired kind of homophobic Pride Month video that we talked about in our last Dysantis fash Wave episode. It turns out to be slightly more self inflicted than what than what at least I said in the episode, because I didn't want to make claims that I couldn't back up. Because we have we have some new new information regarding this video. I'm gonna I'm going to quote from this this article in the Times quote a Dissanta's campaign aid had originally produced the video internally, passing it off to an outside supporter to post it first and making it appear as if it was generated independently. According to a person with knowledge of the incident, so this video turned out to be actually be made in house. This actually was made by someone who was working for Rondasantis as as we speculated it initially, but we couldn't really like say for sure because it was it was posted first on a third party account.
Speaker 1: Specifically the guy who was the one who shared it as the dude who made it.
Speaker 3: No, that is that is for this next video we're going to talk about. Yeah, the the homophobic one was was shared by this this this proto Santas account called Proud Elephant, who had a corresponding telegram channel. This was the guy who posted the first homophobic meme one. But yeah, so we found out Sunday night that it was actually made by someone at the Dasantas campaign, which kind of justified a lot of our suspicions about DeSantis employing staff of zoomers who don't actually understand how to win a political election and are more interested in just creating fascist memes, which is seems to be not a very effective strategy for DeSantis so far. So again, just the day that this news broke that that the video was actually made in a house, another fash wave of inspired video, but with much much more overt Nazi imagery, was shared online by a Dysantis campaign staffer. I'm Robert. Have you seen this video?
Speaker 1: Yes? Okay, so I'm the Sun and Rad video.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we don't. We don't have to watch it here, but I will. I will give a description of it for for the people listening, because also we should probably shouldn't be sharing these things like everywhere on on like Twitter and stuff anyway, Like it's not it's not a great idea.
Speaker 6: But.
Speaker 1: It's not going to make you happier help you in any way. To see this, it's just like it's surprising. I will say that I was surprised to see how fascy it was, to see how like explicitly accelerationist mash shooter fascy it was. Yes, this is like christ Church kind of Yes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so we're not going to share it, but it is useful to know what's in it. So I did write a pretty in depth description of this video here. So this video was posted on Sunday, July twenty third. It's about seventy seconds long. It plays over a Meg Myers cover of the song Running Up the Hill, which was.
Speaker 1: Made you know recent Wait, isn't that the one that was the one that the new season of Stranger Things a while back, like it brought back to the main.
Speaker 3: Possibly it's it is It is a Kate Bush original. This one is is a more like electronic cover of the song. Yes, it's talking about like you know, like a like a trying to like ask God to help you with certain things. Blah bla blah blah blah blah blah. Anyway, it starts with the doomer wojack sitting at a computer looking at headlines about the ineffectiveness of Trump's border wall, unfulfilled anti immigration policies, and Trump's pro COVID vaccine statements. So I guess we should probably talk about what a wojack is in case someone is unfamiliar. If you've ever spent any amount of time on the Internet, you've probably seen memes with kind of crudely drawn like human faces and heads. These are called wojack memes. They're very popular in like political spheres. They kind of kind of rose to prominence on four Chat and spread spread out from there. Everyone kind of uses them. Nowadays they're pretty common, but there's a few specific like wojack characters, like the chad is one. One of the more popular ones is the doomer wojack, which is someone who has taken the black pill, so to speak. They've they've they've looked at modern society and have decided that it's not worth engaging in. Now there's this. There's doomers on the right, there's dumers on the left. There's doomers who look at like climate change and the acceleration of like of of of capitalism and just decide, hey, this is this is too far gone. So they become a doomer, and they're on the left. There's also doomers on the right who are like looking at gay marriage and the acceptance of trans people, being like, oh, this is so socially degenerate. It's the society is too far gone, and then they become a doomer. But they're on the right. So it's it's it happens on. It happens on both sides, and both both sides use doomer memes. Uh yeah, this one is because we're talking about it in this context of fash wave. This is obviously a fascist doomer meme. But that's that's kind of what I mean when I say there's there's a doomer wojack sitting sitting at a computer. It's like it's like a guy with a beanie, like a scruffy beard. He looks like very depressed and tired, that sort of thing. So as as these kind of headlines about Trump's not conservative enoughness are flashing on this computer, the dumer Rojack is looking increasingly disillusioned and apathetic. Then there's the clip of Trump holding up a Pride flag that plays right before we see Trump signing the First Step Act, the twenty eighteen Criminal Justice Reform Bill. Then headlines flash about violent criminals being released into the streets, that sort of thing. So the dumer BoJack is looking at all these things about Trump, looking more and more depressed, when suddenly a doorway appears with an almost angelic light pouring in from behind, and as the door opens, we see a silhouette of Ron DeSantis. More short clips of Ron play, and now the wojack is looking happy, almost like exuberant, seemingly kind of random. Images of outer space, volcanoes, rocket launches, surfing and the beach flash quickly on screen with with like glitchy silhouettes of Ronda Santis looming above coastal ocean side cities that are lit up by a sunset. A don't tread on Florida Alligator flag spins onto screen like it's a fucking like MS paint like edit, and then the the video flashes more clips of DeSantis wearing sunglasses standing in front of American flags as the sunset. Happy Woejack fades in. So this is another wo shack meme of somebody almost like tearied eyed with like contentment, staring into the horizon as like a sunset is behind their head. It kind of it kind of reminds me of like the that guy who who stole that plane in Seattle.
Speaker 2: And yeah, crash it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, very sad story if you're not aware of it. A man hijacked I believe it was an Alaska Airs flight a couple of years back. It was empty, like he he worked at the airport. He just took the plane and he got up into the sky and then like he was just kind kind of a dude who was sort of suicidal. There's very sad audio of him talking too, because he gets on with air traffic control and he makes sure that he's not going to hurt anyone else, and like then the plane goes down, you know, he goes down in it, and it's it's very bleak. He was not a man who wanted to hurt anybody. It's just this kind of like exist. I found it set to a lot of vapor wave tracks. Actually, like the audio the conversation between them, because he's kind of I think a lot of people identify with his sense of like I don't really know why I was ever here. I don't really know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's someone who was dealing with like postmodern absurdity, but in a way that like he doesn't want to hurt anybody about it, but he just doesn't know what to do with existence.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he had part of he had like the ten percent of what a mass shooter has, which is exactly go out and I want to do something. But thankfully he was also a good person and didn't want to like murder strangers.
Speaker 3: So this became very popular on the Internet, including on redda and four chan. This he was he was dubbed sky King, and there's there's footage of him basically crashing this plane as the sun is setting, and there's there's footage of him flying around in sunset played often played with vapor Wave with his conversation with attracktic control that this is very popular. The sunset happy Roe Jack is very similar. I've seen people post this image in threads about sky King before, and I think a lot a lot of people to understand it's like this this act, that this this Skyking thing, that this has more in common with like accelerationist like terrorism than what most people can like really understand about like between like shooting a random person for like violent crime and this like this, this is more this, This is closer to why people do accelerationist like terroristic acts. But this guy was like not actually a monster, so he didn't do that. He like explicitly didn't want to hurt anybody. He explicitly didn't want to try to land the plane at the airport because he thought he might hurt somebody.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and presumably since he worked at an airport, he had some knowledge of how easily that could go wrong.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so this anyway, these two images are kind of linked often on the Internet. So anyway, we we we see we see the video getting like more hopeful with with with Rona Santis, you know, having stupid fash wave, having stupid fashwave imagery. Is this sunset happy Woejack fades in as like as the dumer is now has like contentment and then this this, then this is followed by very quick flashes of dysantis and more.
Speaker 4: More more beach imagery.
Speaker 3: There's a lot of beach in this video. Yeah, there's like this like rotating sheet of stickers that read make America Florida. Then we get this shot of a small yacht zooming through the water with DeSantis campaign events played over top of the water. And during this shot we have another jack holding a rifle wearing Camo military fatigues that slides onto screen. He has a patch of the flag of Florida on his plate carrier and his helmet. We get more shots of beachfront cities and rocket launches, followed by headlines about Dysantis on a variety of topics, including his anti immigration actions, his use of Florida's National Guard in other states, DeSantis's anti diversity initiatives, his anti education bills, his anti drag bills, the cancelation of pride parades in Florida, and in general just kind of how DeSantis has been pushing Florida further right. So after this barrage of headlines, we get to the most mask off from a moment of the video. The flag of Florida fills the screen with two lines of armed troops at either side marching towards the flag. A still photo of Dysantis is center frame, with his head right in the middle of the seal of Florida, which is on the center of their state flag. The head in front of the seal creates this almost like halo effect around Desantas's head, and then the seal turns into a spinning son and rad as we zoom into the symbol as troops march into center, and then the video ends. The sun and Rad is on screen for about ten seconds. So this was a pretty upsetting thing to see on Twitter.
Speaker 1: Yes, upsetting is one way to phrase it. Yeah, and again. The son and Rad has a long history. It's kind of a specifically a cultic version of the swastika it reached. It has been around for quite a while, but it's most recent. The kind of thing that brought it into modern prominence was the christ Church shooter chose it as the cover of his manifesto and also wore a son and rad. I believe it was on the chest of his plate carrier when he carried out his massacre. He also had a couple on his gun.
Speaker 3: I think, yeah, so it's very clearly Nazi symbol. I know there's some people of making it make jokes about how this must have just been an azof Battalion reference. Deeply unserious.
Speaker 1: No, you can see some of these on a I mean again, this is a Nazi thing. They wear this too. Yeah, azof uses it.
Speaker 3: There's people trying to excuse the use of the sun and rad by saying, oh, it's just an azof simple it's not a hot sea thing, which is bad, which is a deeply unserious thing to say. So Yeah, this video was shared by at least one campaign staffer. It's a very short video, but it plays into a strain of like accelerationist propaganda tropes that even the previous Fashionay video didn't didn't even really have in many of the same ways, like like all of all of like the dooomer wojack slowly becoming like happy and content than putting on military fatigues to go fight for Ron de Santis, who's now in the center of like a haloed son and rad like it's it's it is emulating a type of meme that both gained popular in order to specifically like inspire mass shootings to happen, and also to like to get young depressed males to channel their depression into like fascism. It has a whole bunch of tropes like it's it's it's it's really just like playing by the playbook. So the video was first posted on the Twitter account Ron DeSantis fancams, which is a horrible sentence. Yeah, the account is a few months old, but its visible posts only go back to June. They post a lot of videos, all in a very similar style, which leads you to believe that whoever operates the account must be making the videos themselves. One video from the account plays clips of people describing Dasantis as fascist, edited together with clips of DeSantis deploying National Guard and calling for civilian state military force under his control, all sliced together next to footage of Nazis and Mussolini played over an upbeat e d M track. So it's all like explicitly fascist stuff like like like it's people like rev like it's like a proud, proudly embracing the fascist label. So this style of video is almost identical to the homophobic Pride Months video that we discussed last week. And considering the recent news that the other video shared by the Dasantas Warham account was secretly made by a campaign staffer, that led myself and others to assume that this son and Red video was most likely made by the same person inside DeSantis's campaign and was operating this DeSantis fancam account as a sock puppet. But you know, I could not prove this myself, really, I it's just it's it's a it's a hard thing to kind of backtrack this. I this account was pretty clean in terms of like I tried to like, you know, do do pretty pretty basic osin on this account, But it's it was, it was I could not find out much about it. But the campaign staff member that first shared this sun and Red video to his own Twitter account was former National Review writer Nate Hakman. We will we will talk about Nate Hawkman's exploits shortly shortly after this this hat break. All right, we are back and in a much better position currently than twenty five year old Nate Hawkman.
Speaker 1: Yes, so really was a tragically was a promising career. You know what, Let's give them another chance. Garrison, reach out to Nate. We can bring him on the team, you know, have him start making some videos for us.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll build an invoice to Nate Hawkman's address. Yeah, I'll see where he lives. So, twenty five year old Nate Hawkman has been working as a speech writer for DeSantis's campaign. After rising to prominence among young conservatives for his online references and willingness to entertain outside the Overton window. Uh Hawkman hosted a Twitter space late last year centered around the question of if white supremacists like a Nick Fuentes should have a place in the modern conservative movement. Funtes himself appeared in the Twitter space, and Hawkman thanked him for radicalizing children by saying, quote, You've gotten a lot of kids based and we respect you for that. And he also said that Fuentes quote is probably a better influence than Ben Shapiro on young men who might otherwise be conservative unquote. So Hawkman has retweeted the Dysantis fancam account at least six times before he shared this on and rata video this past Sunday. But he's not the only Dysantis linked account to share these videos. The campaign's war room Twitter account and the pro DeSantis Never Back Down superpack have also shared videos from this Rond Dessanta's fancam Twitter account. By using this fancam account to post videos and then by retweeting on Nate's account, someone was certainly testing the waters to see how close the Dysantas campaign can get to just doing explicit Nazi shit, and considering the New York Times, who Hawkman has written for, by the way, basically confirming that the person who made the Pride Month video was secretly employed by Dysantis and posted the a third party to get some distance from the official campaign. This led many to suspect that Hawkman was secretly the person behind this fancam account due to the similarities in video styles and his frequent boosting of the account. The sun and Ride video was deleted the same day was posted, and the fancam account has not posted since then. But then suddenly, just a few hours ago as of time of recording, news dropped that Nick Hachman has been fired from the Dasantis campaign, and the sources at Axios confirmed that he has in fact secretly been making these Fashway videos. So it was it was Hawkman on all along. This is what happens when you hire a twenty five year old Groypewer to work on your to work on your presidential bid.
Speaker 1: Your very serious presidential campaign.
Speaker 4: Yeah so uh.
Speaker 3: The Dessentant's campaign officially has only said a few words on the subject quote, Nate Hawkman is no longer with the campaign and we will not be commenting on him further.
Speaker 1: Not that easy, guys, But other.
Speaker 3: Anonymous sources have confirmed to news outlets that it was Hawkman who was making these videos. So this is weird because like this hasn't been a great move for DeSantis hiring Hawkman, having Hawkman do all this like behind the scenes like Scooby Doo shit of like you're posting fasci fascist videos on sock wepons to then get reboosted by Desanta's campaign like it's it's all. It's all very like dark but like comical, like it's it's silly, like uh, similar to the Descentus video we talked about in the last Adventures in Fashionate episode. This video it was not meant to like convince older Trump supporters to vote for Dissantis, right, like that, that's not the intention of posting this video.
Speaker 1: No, this new bid trying. They are first off, going for the zoomer vote. Always a mixed bag anytime. Yeah, anytime you're going for the youth vote. This is like famously a difficult thing. It kind of sometimes works for the dims because the youth tend to be pretty progressive and the Republicans are terrifying. Yeah, but going for the trying to base your campaign as a Republican presidential candidate on the youths is uh quite a move. Yeah, Like it's let's see how it pays off for him gotten.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because like this new video is almost more chronically online than the last one, Like, not even considering the Nazi imagery, it's it's heavy use of BoJack memes is just like cartoonish to the median voter. What this video is trying to do is signal to self describe fascists that Dysantis is their guy, and trying extremely desperately to create another like meme magic moment like we had in twenty sixteen to recruit a slew of teenage Nazis to try and meme another based president into office, which isn't gonna work this time around, because it's not twenty sixteen anymore. Like we we've we've already been we've already been inoculated to some degree to this, to this style of of campaign tactics, all of all of the all the people in like like four chan. Isn't the thing that it used to be. It is, it is, It is a shell of its of its former self. But like what we have here on like the DeSantis side is like in terms of hiring people like hackmen. Right, these are like seasoned gropers who grew up and are now like getting into their twenties. Uh, you know, they're taking jobs at National Review and as and as campaign staffers. But due to their isolated, niche political upbringing, they have deluded themselves into thinking that there's like a mythical far right youth voting block that just like quite simply doesn't exist. So you can spend all day making and retweeting these meme heavy videos with Nazi imagery that really only succeed in turning off the reliable boomer Republican voters. Now, like, there's a few other you know, future scenarios here. If these if these like up and coming gropers continue to like grow up, polish their act, take more jobs as staffers or on Capitol Hill, and like slowly grow in numbers as they learn to like hide their power level like hea like hide their amount of racism, then we might have a problem. If they like actually like put like intentionality into a long term strategy to like put more of these young freaks into positions in Washington, but we're simply not there yet. Like in the case of Hawkman, he kind of just like he blew up the spot right like he went like he went too hard, too fast, and then he got fired because they don't want that shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the olds are going to watch this and go like, what the fuck is this? This does not look serious, This is not speaking to my issues. This is just like off putting, in strange, and most young people are like, oh, it's some brain poisoned four channer. That's who this guy's running as the four chan candidate. Yep, all right now.
Speaker 3: Like so the other fear is that they'll shift from like this electoral focus and try to just use this type of video propaganda to initiate another wave of like Nazi mass shootings like in twenty eighteen. The halo effect around DeSantis's head is certainly cause for concern, but there's a lot of other factors that go into that sort of thing, and that is kind of just more of like an ever present fear that anti fascists have, and you know, people do a lot of work and trying to catch these guys before they actually do mass shootings and try to try to isolate the spread of this style of propaganda for that very reason. So yeah, I mean, it's it's certainly an interesting trajectory. When I started, like finishing this episode earlier today, I had no idea that Hawkman was going to get fired, had no idea that it was going to be confirmed that Hawkman was the one making making these videos. So that's kind of some breaking news on our side. It's it's been a few days. If you're if you're listening to this, at the end of the week, I'm going to read out one tweet from this guy, a double Doink, who is a stupid, stupid handle no offense, but he made a made a made a made a pretty good point here I quote. I think DeSantis's real problem isn't just that he's racist, It's that his campaign is racist in the same way a really annoying teenager is your average xenophobic suburbanite dad looks at a son and rad roejack ad like his son crack his car. A lot of people are arguing that your average fifty six year old Trump supporter isn't as racist as your average DeSantis supporting Zoomer, but that's not the point. Putting weird blood and soil shit in your ads smells it's deeply uncool to the exact people that you want to impress unquote, and I'll add it's it's it's deeply uncol to the exact people you want to impress if you want to win at being president and like are trying to move over Trump voters. It's just it's just it's just not going to play. So this is this is the state of the de Santa's campaign. Now, they've they've shed almost forty people from their staff. The guy that was supposed to lead their television ads has left. They seemingly just have no idea what the fuck to do They They tried to have this guy do this like backdoor nazi video sock puppet strategy that has also resulted in not very good things for this for the Desanta's campaign. So I guess we'll we'll see how their how their campaign develops, if they if they continue this sort of like fash wave rhetoric and style. I kind of doubt it now that now that now that Hawkman is out. But yeah, it's been a certainly certainly an interesting interesting few months here, or a few weeks here rather in terms of in fashwave videos resurfacing again for the first time in quite a while. In terms of like mainstream of political use.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm kind of suspecting that this might be the death knell of that as a at least for a spell, as a as a relevant form of propaganda.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean it's it's been in some ways, like internally rejected at the Disanta's campaign, and he is arguably the most fascist mainstream candidate that they that we like have right now, nothing.
Speaker 1: Puts a stink on stuff like this like failure, right, you know, these guys, these guys are not anarchists, and the anarchists are we nearly always lose, So there's this like because things fail, you know that, Like there's a lot of Spanish Civil War, you know, iconography and stuff that's still very relevant on that chunk of the left. But with the right, it is all about power, and when something like this fails, when it actually weakens a campaign, when it weakens the insurgent right, when it makes them less able to exert power. Yeah, I kind of feel like we may have seen the last of this, as a thing that matters. Right, Yeah, I'll.
Speaker 3: Definitely be watching these next few months. But I think that's that's definitely a very a very fair assessment at this point. Lastly, I just want to clarify one thing about our last episode due to some viewer feedback. So last time we were talking about how the Biden administration's use of dark branded memes had like inadvertently led to fast way of taking a big body blow. Now, I think some people misinterpreted our discussion as downplaying anti fascists and leftists attempt to disrupt dark Mega and fash wave in general by like proliferating the satirical dark branded memes. So in the episode, we talked about the methodology behind this, this this strategy of like normies seizing onto memes and aesthetics, thus making them cringe and unattractive to the niche groups that they that that once enjoyed using them with Dark brand And there were certainly an attempt from anti fascists and leftist posters to appropriate fash waves aesthetics with the hope that if spread widely enough, it would disarm some of fashwaves more dangerous and inspirational aspects. But you can't really force mainstream like virality. This kind of thing works best when it appears natural, and for the majority of Dark Branded posters, they were just doing this shit for like shits and giggles like that. That was the primary factor, is that it was funny, and no effort to damage fash waves legibility would really be successful without mainstream spread. A small group of leftists could mean like eternally, but until it breaks through that bubble, it would have little to no effect. Now, because of how Twitter's algorithm worked during the summer of last year, after a few months, Dark Branded did in fact break through to the liberal mainstream. But I've seen nothing to suggest that the White House staff had any intention of trying to damage fash Wave's legibility by sharing laser I memes in August to twenty twenty two.
Speaker 1: I think the key here is that you were not saying this was purely the result of liberals accidentally like jumping on to this, but that the primary like success was achieved, Like, the part of the success that was achieved as a result of this going like mainstream among Biden supporters was accidental. Yeah, it was the part that was key, not saying that the people who recognize this, and we're putting in the background work to try to push this stuff and make it, you know, eventually go viral. That was certainly not accidental, but correct. The part that the liberals played was an accidental part in killing this That's that's the point.
Speaker 3: Yes, Because what I mean by accidental is that when dark Brandon started in March of twenty twenty two, there was no way to guarantee that four months later the White and like the White House and blue Wave liberals would be sharing these memes on mass Like I remember conversations I had like last August when liberals were seemingly like ruining the funny dark branded memes. But like me, like myself and research colleagues during this time, like that was when we realized that if, like if liberals keep sharing these cringy memes, we might actually have a shot at killing off a fash wave. So yes, this was to not discount the efforts of anti fascists or others who pioneered the spread of dark Brandon and their attempts to insert it into greater public consciousness. But I think to frame this as like a meticulously planned siop from the very start, is also kind of inaccurate in like a very like spotlighted way like this was. This was a collaborative effort with with the with the liberals not realizing the degree that their collaboration played in this larger game of trying to disarm fascist aesthetics and like meme styles. So yeah, that's one one clarifying note as we hopefully wrap up this dysantis fashwave sega for the time being, because I definitely did not plan on making this episode when I when I finished recording last week with you.
Speaker 1: So here we are cool, all right, that's the episode.
Speaker 5: That's the episode.
Speaker 4: It's happening here. The thing that's happening here is fucking child labor.
Speaker 5: I am.
Speaker 4: I am deeply angry this episode. This is see get up here. I'm your host, Mio Wong and with me Sharen Hi Mia.
Speaker 12: I'm so glad to join you on this really uplifting episode.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's gonna be great. So yes, all right, as anyone who studied like even a little bit of labor history dos, the fight over child labor is very very old. It is. It's one of the first causes that sort of liberal reformers to capitalism took up nearly eighteen hundreds. Like it's like in the Communist Manifesto is one of the things. It's actually it's one of the things people point out. It's like, oh, we've done all the things that was in the original Communist Manifesto, and it's like, no, no, we never got rid of this, you know. It's it's also one of the things that like you get these sort of like capitalist triumphalist accounts that like, oh, we eliminated child labor. This is like this is proof the system works. No, this, the battle over child labor is a battle that we are in the middle of losing, and we are losing it in worse and worse ways every day. So okay, so why why are we Why are we dealing with a new resurgence of child labor in this country. There's there's a lot of reasons. One of the big problems is that vast swaths of the US sees child labor is morally good. You know, they see something like oh, this is like you teach your kids. It's like how you yeah.
Speaker 12: Like how they grow up and get responsible and.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and then this and this is true in a lot of parts of the world. It's also completely and absolutely bonkers. It is just it's just nuts, Like people shouldn't think like this. It's incredibly weird. And the other thing that you get a lot is like there's you know, there's sort of like different versions of like more or less socially acceptable child labor. Right, So, like I think most people agree if you're not running the business that like children shouldn't be working in like slaughterhouses or whatever. But you know, there's like lots of things that people are like, oh, no, kid working in a restaurant, like that's completely fine. Like oh, it's like a like a fourteen year old is like doing farm work on a farm, Like that's fine.
Speaker 12: But it's a slippery slope, right because it's starting to farm work and then down.
Speaker 4: Also, like I would argue that that's also not fine, because what's what's essentially happening here is that there's this basically like this sort of family loophole to people's understanding if child labor were like as long as child labor is being done by like the family is an economic unit instead of like capitalists directly, yes, it's fine. It's like no, no, it's not. It's actually not fine, to be working people like be a child and then working for a living for your family, Like that's not.
Speaker 12: I think there's a difference between. I think there's a difference between like child labor and like working in a field for your family versus like a chore, you know what I mean, Like, yeah, yeah, it's I think I think that line gets blurred and people see their kids as much more mature than they are and like able to like no, I don't understand what you're saying. And I think I agree that I.
Speaker 4: Agree, yeah, and it's I don't know it. It sucks. This has a lot of sort of knock on effects. One of the big knock on effects his house. And this is this has been a thing for like the entire history of child labor, right, is that like capitalists use children as a way to write down wages for everyone else. And this is you know, if you ever listened to argue to someone about the minimum wage, right, one of the big arguments about the minimum wage is that like, oh, well, it's like it's like kids get the minimum wage, so like it's fine. It's like one, it's not like children are not morally worth less and their labor is also not worth less than an adult, like like if if you're gonna exploin them like this.
Speaker 12: Like, yeah, things are the same price for everybody. It's not like less for a child.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not. It's not like like a kid is like somehow less of a human being than an adult, right like this is this is this sucks, but you know it's used to sort of hold down wages directly through things like like opposing minimum wage increases. Used to hold you know, hold down wages sort of indirectly because and this is another reason like capitalists love child labor is that children are you know, like they're physically smaller than adults, they're easier to control, they have less social power, and because you know, because of that, you can pay them less. And because of you know, because because people just in our society don't fucking like kids, and because of that, it's so it's just socially accessible to just pay them less.
Speaker 12: All those reasons you listed are absolutely terrifying though, like oh they will listen, Oh they're smaller, Oh they're like cheap or whatever it is that they're all like terrible reasons to justify child labor.
Speaker 4: No, they're not good. They're not good. And yet however, Comma, it still persists, it has resisted. It's very old. I'm going to read something from the Bureau of Labor Statistics about this fucking kid who was working in a mine.
Speaker 2: What okay?
Speaker 4: This is from the early nineteen hundreds. One boy touchingly recounted his attitude towards facing the day at the mind this way. I'll always think of my poor blind father and my mother at home, but I won't never play with the boys at all, and then the cracker boss won't have to beat me like he does the others. This boy was nine years old. While stories like these produced outrage in many quarters, in the cold producing regions, there is no such concern the view that quote the little devils like it, as one cold boss put it, seemed to be the prevailing sentiments. Child labor wasn't discussed these regions because it wasn't seen as an issue. So this is like nineteen hundreds of American view, like early nieten hundreds of American view on this right, like people, my people, I mean capitalists, and also people who are incredibly desperate and don't have enough money to get by like love child labor. There's you know, it takes a long time for like an actual series anti child labor campaign to like get started in the US. And of course the exact people who you would expect to oppose banning child or posed banning child labor. I'm gonna read this from the also from the bar laboristics. The chairman of the National Association of Manufacturers said about a law to abolish child labor. Quote this union, this labor union plot against the advancements and happiness of the American boy, is a ploy. Is also a ploy against individual industrial expansion and prosperity in this country. So this is what their thing is. Their argument is that is that children don't oppose child labor. This is this is being foisted upon them by outside agitated labor unions. And also if we're not allowed to use child labor, and if we're not allowed to have a nine year old be put in a mine, the entire American economy will collapse and every manufacturer will go broke.
Speaker 12: It's like making you like being like child labor because patriotism, Like that's basically what that means.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's it's it's genu widely terrible. Like I I I don't know, it's so ghoulish.
Speaker 4: Like companies today have figured out how to do this pr thing of like, oh, we don't condone child labor. We crack down on it very seriously. We also hire children literally all the time. But it's fine, We're just we're gonna like you know, but back in like nine hundreds, they hadn't really figured that out yet, and so you know, there's there's this sort of reform movement that happens. And one of the sort of key moments of this reform thing is the Laurence Textile Strike. And this strike is probably most famous today for popularizing the slogan we want bread and roses too, which is, you know, like wrung down the halls of labor and socialist histories, like the names of newspapers, songs, poems, and also like being the namesake of a truly dogshit DSA caucus. We're not going to talk about this strike enormously. Here the short, the very very short version of this strike, and this is a nineteen twelve strike. The short version of it is that there's a law pass in Massachusetts that would have reduced like the number of hours that you could have women and children work from a blistering fifty six hours to a leisurely fifty four hours a week.
Speaker 12: Oh my god.
Speaker 4: This prompted the local capitalist to get so mad that they did this like massive like industrial speed up, so they forced everyone to work faster and then also doctor everyone's paid for it. And this this set off a strike, which's relevant for like our stories that the workers at this plant. You know, there's there's lots of coverage of the fact that like most of these workers are immigrant women, like from a bunch of different places. The part of it that's not talked about as much is that another huge person of the workers we're is fucking.
Speaker 12: Children, and it seems to get glossed over.
Speaker 4: Yeah yeah, And it's like, I, I, you know, I don't know, maybe maybe maybe we should go back to talking about that part because it's really important for like the stuff we're going to talk about later in this episode. That made me so angry, I was like physically punching my pillow. What happens next is that the police crackdown on the strike. It's more and more violence, and as this goes on, the workers at like the adult workers at this plant decide, Okay, we're gonna like send the children who are both like both the child workers and also like just people's kids to New York to keep them safe and also to make a political point. But like, hey, look they're they're running our children out of town, and this goes great. The first way is just go great for the children. Like a bunch of people in New York show up are like yay, hey, we'll take care of these kids. Like and this makes like the officials in Lawrence be like, you have to stop this. It looks really bad for us. And so they they like assembled outside of the next train that was trying to leave and tried to stop them. Oh my god, so she shouldn't be really brististics Again, When the next group of children prepared to depart the train station, they were met by police and soldiers. The police refused to let them board the trains and launched an attack on the group. A seven year old was given a black eye when she was picked up and thrown into a patty wagon by police. Another witness. Another witness testified to children being thrown around like rags.
Speaker 8: Oh my god, like yeah, thin blue live baby, let's fucking go.
Speaker 4: This is this is the thing.
Speaker 8: The cops or the thin blue line ordering chaos that sevy little girls. Yeah's not gonna throw herself around, right, Like someone has to beat up this children.
Speaker 4: And for that there is the few, the proud, the American police.
Speaker 12: But they were scared for their lives, you know what I mean, Like there're seven.
Speaker 4: Year olds that that seven year old girl looked at me really aggressively.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I was scared for my life. That's what they said.
Speaker 4: It's it's you know, it's this is bad. And like you know, the the nineteen hundreds police can get away with, like nineteen hundred police. We've tked about another episodes, like they could get away with just like shooting people right, like the like they could show up to like a strike and just open fire into the crowd and it doesn't do anything throwing around a bunch of children like rags. Finally, it turned out was the thing that was bad enough that it like started a congressional investigation.
Speaker 12: Wow, I guess that's good and bad.
Speaker 9: But yeah, so.
Speaker 4: There's a call launched this investigation, and there's like this fourteen year old immigrant girl named Kamela Tielli testifies about how she was working at the mill when a machine caught her hair and tore her scalp off. The police promptly and this is going and okay, the police promptly arrested her dad. Didn't do anything to the company, arrested her dad for lying about her age. Oh my god, what now this hold that wood in your fucking mind, because we're gonna come back to that shit, do I have to? Okay? Unfortunately, because it's gonna get so much worse when Tyler's episode is over. So the product of this is that there starts to be like a really mainstream push against child labor, which is, you know, a thing you would have thought would have started earlier, because again, we're on like century two of child labor in the US by this point, right like in the in an entity called the United States. But you know, apparently it takes this to actually make people go, wait, maybe this is bad. And the product of this is you get this thing called the Kenning Owen Child Labor Act nineteen sixteen. Now, as we sort of talked about earlier, right, the weakness of this law is that it, you know, it allows kids to be used as laborers, like inside of the family unit. So like if you're on a family and this is a very very broad category. Right, so it's you know, you can you can force your child to work as long as like you're their parents, right, you're the one making the money off of them, and not like a capitalist. But even this, even this is considered too strong of a law. And in nineteen eighteen, the Supreme Court rules and it's unconstitutional to ban child labor. Wait what Yeah, they do it the uiple times, multiple times. And we really cannot emphasize this enough on this show. The Supreme Court is and has always been just one of history's greatest monsters.
Speaker 12: Like, yeah, wait, I was right then, child labor does equal patriotism. That's basically what's so.
Speaker 4: Eventually FDR gets into this giant fight with Supreme Court, and the first child labor law we get in federal child labor law that gets that sticks. I like doesn't happen till nineteen thirty eight when FDR threatens to pack the court if the Court refuses to fucking stop stop saying that that that the state, that the state doesn't have the government doesn't have the power to regulate child labor.
Speaker 12: Wow, it's like literally less than a century ago. That is, like yesterday, you.
Speaker 4: Know, but but but you know, and this actually works, right, but but and this is a real problem. And this is a problem that we're gonna we're gonna talk about later in this fucking episode. In the modern day, those child labor laws don't get enforced. It doesn't that act, that actual the nineteen thirty eight Fair Labor Act, like basically doesn't actually do shit to like reduce the amount of child labor in the country. And here's the thing, like even now, even before all the horror show stuff that we're about to get to that's happening right now, like not kids, like we never actually dealt with child labor through like the law. Like we just basically outsourced, you know, Okay, we we had to find someone whose labor is cheaper than like an American child, and we did. It's either like mechanization other immigrants who like don't have legal citizenship status, or just outsourcing. And then you know, our kids still fucking do work, you know, like are like they're like it's very common for ten and twelve year olds to work. It's just that it's usually like babysitting or like bowing lawns. And we've we've decided that like, no, this is actually fine, Like it is actually fine to fucking put twelve year olds in a labor market.
Speaker 12: Yeah. I mean I think most people today anyway, I think the common person thinks that child labor happens like in other countries over there, you know what I mean. I don't think they think America is still that archaic and stupid.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and oh my god, yeah, so we need to take an ad break. And then I'm not even gonna make a joke about our sponsors and child labor because, like Jesus fucking Christ, this is good about to be it so bad? But yeah, here's what ads. Okay, So you know, we never really got rid of child labor, right, what we did basically was, to some extent, we've been able to successfully decrease the severity of it. And you know, in the last twenty years, there'd been a decline in what economists and I really cannot emphasize enough this is the actual phrase they use, is child participation in the labor markets.
Speaker 12: Wow, so vanilla of a way to say that.
Speaker 4: So return to present day, present day. The thing that's been happening in the last few months is that in a five week span in this country. Three children died or I, you know, I would actually argue we're killed by their employers on the job. Wow, five children in three building in five weeks. So sixteen these there, these kids were all sixteen. Sixteen year old Duven Thomas Perez got killed by machinery, had a conveyor belt. Sixteen year old Will Hampton died working at a landfill, and sixteen year old Michael Schulz died working for a logging company. There have been other child labor deaths recently. Those are just sort of the most recent ones. And I want to get in to this shit that's been happening because in the last really in the last been under like eight years, things have gotten you know, like the til labor situation in the US was never good, and we'll talk about that later, but like things have gotten so much worse. There's been almost a factor of four increase in twenty fifteen in kids working illegally and hazardous jobs. It's actually probably well, it's unclear to me whether the numbers are actually worse than that. I don't know, because I think almost all of this these districts are being undercounted like dramatically because those numbers are just like violations that are caught and go into that a bit later. But meanwhile, like right now, Arkansas, Iowa, New Hampshire, New Jersey, and Vermont have already passed laws in the last two years that weakened restrictions on child labor, and bills are appearing like across the country to do fucking more of the same stuff, like they want to allow fourteen year olds to serve alcohol in bars. It's you know, it is. It is truly horrific, and it's being driven by restaurant business associations across the country who want to, you know, use child labor. And that's bad. The fact that there's more stuff that's that you know, is on the horizon is not good. But for an enormous number of people, regardless of what the law says, the situation is absolutely intolerable. Here's from the New York Times. In many parts of the country, middle and high school teachers in English language larder programs say it is now common for nearly all of their students to rush off to law long shift after their classes end. They should not be working twelve hour days, but it's happening here, said Valeria Lindsay, an arts language arts teacher at Homestead Middle School near Miami. For the past three years, almost every eighth grader in her English learner program, about one hundred students, was also carrying an adult workload. So there's been a massive surge since twenty twenty one in unaccompanied minors entering the US. And this has been driven by a lot of sort of you know, it's been driven by pandemic driven poverty, a massive obseration of violence in a bunch of countries in Central America, a lot of which has to do with a like you know, the the US back to q Andel, Southador about a decade ago. You know, there's a lot of stuff going on. It's all very bad, and it's been pushing people here. But you know, like the situation for immigrants getting into the US is never good, but Biden specifically has managed to make it worse because Biden's sort of like Biden's immigration policy has been resting on getting kids out of shelters as fast as humanly possible and just like throwing them at literally anyone who claims to be a sponsor, right, And you know, this has gone about as well as you would expect it would when someone like starts to you know. One of the I think was the New York Times was talking about this woman who's working. You quit working in a health human services like office because they had a quota of getting rid of twenty percent of their kids a week and if they didn't do it, they would get dated. Yeah, they had a quota for we need to get twenty percent of the kids out of the shelter every week.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 4: In the last two years they have lost track of a third of the kids they send out, which is again in the last two years alone, at least eighty five thousand children. They've just lost fucking know who they are. Here's some New York Times again. It's getting to be a business for some of these sponsors. And yet Pasilaqua, who left her job as a caseworker in Central Florida last year. Miss Pasilachua said she saw so many children put to work and found law enforcement officials so unwilling to investigate these cases that she largely stopped reporting them. Instead, she settled for explaining to the children that they were entitled to lunch breaks in overtime.
Speaker 12: Wow.
Speaker 4: Wow, And you know, I want to make really clear what we're talking about here, right, This is not you know, like I don't think like you know, whatever your position is on like whether like a twelve year old or a fourteen year old should be working any job at all. We are talking about twelve year olds working on factories. We were talking about thirteen year olds cleaning up the floors of slaughter the kill floors of slaughterhouses. We are talking about like, we are talking about fourteen year olds who are like literally making food that like you are eating. Yeah, and we're still right, So this is this is happening in a large part because there's been a sort of like a giant surgeon on a company of miners. Well, it turns out a lot of those miners are on a company because the Biden administration wouldn't let their fucking parents into the country. And this is where this is where we need to get into the fucking like the whole sort of like sex trafficking panic, right because you know, one of the things that that this panic, specifically about sex trafficking, has covered up is that most human trafficking is not sex trafficking. It's almost all labor trafficking. Almost also too strong a word, but it's mostly by volume. Most of it is is labor trafficking, which nobody gives a single shit about because you know, there's no you can't you can't have a moral panic around like you can't have a moral panic around labor trafficking like people who aren't white. And simultaneously, all the business groups who would normally fund these panics like love this shit because you know, all all of these capitals ghouls drinking a thousand dollars bottles of wine, un they're thirty million dollar yachts. All of that shit is paid for by child labor, so of course they don't give a shit about it. In fact, they love it. And the you know, the product of this is you have a bunch of fucking twelve year olds who are effectively in debt bondage, working twelve hours a fucking day in a slaughterhouse or a paper bill. I'm gonna read another thing for the New York Times, which is, I don't know, so many of these things are so depressing, but like I think this is the most depressing thing I've read in this entire I don't know, like in ages, I didn't get how expensive everything was, says thirteen year old Jose Vasquez, who works twelve hour shifts, six days a week at a commercial egg farm in Michigan and lives with his teenage sister. I'd like to go to school, but then how would I pay rent? Thirteen thirteen? You know? And of course one of you know, like the everything about this, right is these these are people dealing with the fucking American housing market. Right. The American housing market is intolerable to adults who work full time, who work like full time jobs or multiple part time jobs. Right, this is a thirteen year old. How the fuck is a thirteen year old? It's supposed to be paying rent?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 4: And you know, and every every sort of additional thing just makes it worse because the more the more of these kids. And one of one of the things is happening is these kids are getting funneed into very specific areas, right because they're getting they're getting funneled to like specific towns, because those specific towns have a bunch of like have a bunch of companies who specifically want to hire these migrant kids. And when they do that, that fucking continually drives out the price of housing. Because all of these people are competing for the same like fucking one Vedroe apartment for sixteen time dollars a months, right, And so every everything just sort of spirals in on each other and until you get you get a fucking thirteen year old working, working, fucking this is this is nine ninety six. This is the fucking like thing I talked about in China is at nine am, nine pm, six days a week at a fucking egg farm in Michigan. In you know, in any just world, people would die for this. In this world, and you know, people have fucking died for this. It's a bunch of children who are dying on their fucking jobs in this world though. The people, you know, the people who die for this are children. And the Biden administration again is actively aiding fucking human traffickers by kicking all these kids out to their families, like they're kicking all these people out to just like fucking anyone as soon as humanly possible, and not allowing these people's families into the country, and then doing literally nothing at all to ensure that like the people who are fleeing into this country like have a place to live, or like any kind of reasonable job or any way to support themselves, you know, and we could, we could fucking like there are there are individual people in the US who benefit from this child labor who you could fucking like throw into a box tomorrow, take all of their money, and you could fund this entire program or individual people. Right, No one will fucking do it. They will let these kids. They will let every single one of these kids die before a single billionaire has to fucking spend a single cent taking care of these kids. Meanwhile, the actual child laws that exists in this uh uh you know that that exists in the US are completely useless because regulatory agencies are taking one of two approaches. Either they do nothing, or they spend some time investigating so they can get a cut of the child labor money by issuing a fine to the company.
Speaker 12: Are you fucking kidding me? It gets worse.
Speaker 4: Now, And and this is the fun part. Merely taking a cut of the child labor money or doing nothing, those are those might arguably be the best case scenarios. Because the other thing that happens, and the Washington Post has been talking, you did a very good report about this, is the other thing they do is you know, either they effectively enter the rev share agreement with the contractors who are hiring these fucking human traffickers, or they do raids. And the product of these raids is you put is they put the families of the kids who are doing the child labor in prison or deport them, and then they do nothing about the actual you know, so a lot of what's happening is happening to contractors, right, so they'll find the contractor the parent company. Nothing will fucking happen. And the parents of these kids, who also like cannot fucking survive and in a lot of cases are doing this because literally they do not have enough money to pay rent or buy food for their kids. Those people are getting fucking sent to prison. Are the only people, by the way, again, the only even even though all of these companies are systematically hiring children, they are getting children killed, the only people going to prison are the families of the fucking kids.
Speaker 12: I none of it makes sense, and it makes me I mean, I can't really recover from any of this episode, and I and I shouldn't. That is the reality, But I just I don't know. It's it doesn't feel like billionaires uh will ever lose it. I guess capitalism.
Speaker 4: My analysis of this is that any world that allows us to happen is intolerable once we've burned to the ground.
Speaker 12: I agree, Oh, I agree. I think we're ready for the rapture. But by that I just mean like the sun exploding into us and everyone dying.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I'm going to read a bit more, because you know, the horror, the horrors never end. Here's in the Washington Post. The Grand Island teens had been hired to scour blood and fat from slippery kill floors using high pressure hoses, scalding water in a dusty foams and assets. According to the Labor Department in federal court records, they sanitize electric knives, fat skimmers, and one hundred and ninety pounds saws used to split cow carcasses. According to court records, some students, and again when they say students, they're not talking about college students. They're talking about middle and high school students, suffered chemical burns. And we're so sleep deprived after working their night shift, they dozed off in classes, according to a local prosecutor in court records when asked about the children, like the actual kids who are supposed to be you know, the ones being saved by these by the fucking Department of Labor raids. The Department of Labor pulled a it's not my departments, and we're like, yeah, fuck it, we don't know what happen to these kids. Hope they're okay, have fun. And there's one more part of this Washington Post article that I want to read just to sort of like, I don't know. I think the big problem with all of this coverage is that it's treating this problem as if it's new. Yeah, this is sort of like a unique product of like, oh, it's a tight labor market in the pandemic. It's like, no, no, it's not. Here's what the Washington Post. We have never in my memory found the types of violations that are being found on hazardous occupations that David wheel a professor of social policy and management at Brand's University who was a top labor official in the Obama administration, it's outrageous. Now, this is bullshit, dreaming Wheels Obama administration, there was absolutely a shit ton of migrant workers and my specifically migrant children workers doing a bunch of incredibly dangerous and hazardous work. It's just that they were mostly in agriculture. I mean some of them were also in slaughterhouses, right, Like, some of the shit was already happening as nobody paid attention to it, and it's gotten worse. But again, they were also just a shit ton of kids fucking like picking tomatoes in like one hundred and ten degrees in California. That was always happening. It was always fucking happening. Obama specifically made it worse because one of again, one of the things about using immigrant child labor is that you like, if if you commit a labor violation against one of these, against against against again someone someone who is undocumented in a child, what the fuck are they gonna do about it? Right? They can't go to the government. They go to the government, they get deported.
Speaker 12: Yeah, and Obama, Yeah, the employers know that, I mean employers, yeah, but like they know that they're control of the situation.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And Obama fucking helped them do it because he deported so many people like Obama and this fucking guy probably also too directly, was helping literally the worst abuses of this system happen over and over and over again. They were they were using you know, immigration, one of the earlier. Things you can notice about these stories is that if you if you look at the locations right, most of the places with these not all, but a lot of the places where these are happening are very very anti immigrants southern border states in the Southern states and border states. And the reason or or or places or some places in the Midwest like Kansas or Nebraska, and a lot of the reason why this stuff happens here, right is you know, if you're if if you're like, uh, if you're a politician, right, and you know and your your allies are local business owners, you get you get you get to play this sort of like you get you get to play both sides of the of the fucking spectrum. Right. On the one hand, you get to you get to keep hiring a bunch of mon documented immigrants, and on the other hand, you whip up this like enormous social hystoria about them so that all these people you know, can can be more effectively disciplined and crushed. Right, And everyone fucking knows how this game works, right, like all the all the people with any real power like actually understand this. It's it's why, it's why, Like the Justice Department or like you know, all of all the immigration agencies never go after the companies you hire people, They only ever go after the actual workers themselves.
Speaker 12: Just so upsetting because like the most in their mind, like the most helpful like useful person is the person that has like the most to lose, and they know that and use it against them for that reason. Yeah, it's just so it's just fucked up in every possible way. I don't know. Yeah, it's also just a little silly, like you said to just like I think this just happened, Like this is something that has clearly been building to this, you know what I mean. I think anyone with a brain can figure that out, because this kind of intricate system doesn't just like pop up in a year or two out of nowhere. It's been building it on itself. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like it yeah, Like you're definitely right, it's not just like yeah, it's been building for ages like it was just it was deliberately designed by those white people who like make a bunch of fucking money from it, right, they make slightly more money if they fucking force a twelve year old to clean the floor of a slaughterhouse. Than they do if they force like a twenty two year old to do it, and so they do, and.
Speaker 12: The last is so mad.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And the last thing that I want to sort of mention about this, right is that a lot of these a lot of the states where this stuff is happening, a lot of the states that are passing these laws are also states that are like simultaneously passing like enormous rass of anti trans legislation, like as part of their show called like Protect the Kids thing, And you know, you can talk about the hypocrisy of it, right, but I think the important thing to understand here is that Protect the Kids was always racialized, Like they don't give a shit about the kids dying and meatpacking plants because they aren't white, right, They're immigrant kids who these freaks want to fucking kill anyways, And if those kids die in the job, nobody gives a shit, right, So.
Speaker 12: It makes it's upsetting also because the majority of these kids, I don't want to say majority, I don't want to speak for anybody, but I feel like these kids also they need to work in their minds, you know what I mean, Like they're like, I have no other choice, No one's helping me. This is the only option I have, and it just becomes this like snaky in its own tail bullshit where it's just I don't know, there's no there's no good out for them because no one's fucking helping them and their family's not there and they need to fucking survive. So it's this thing where it's like they're consenting to it in a in a sick way, like not because they not, because they're consenting to it because they want to because they need to to survive. And the people that are in power know that and take advantage of it. And I don't know, the lack of empathy across the board is just inhumane and disgusting and I hate that.
Speaker 4: I don't know. That's that's all I have, other than a general exportation that like every single part of the system that produces this, the entire border regime, the US labor regime, the regime, the sort of family regimes and this stuff relies on, like all of it needs to fucking go, and we need to do it before another kid gets fucking killed on a factory floor.
Speaker 12: Yeah, I have a hard time not feeling like it's too big and it's I'm too helpless and there's nothing to do. But I think stuff just raising awareness and not pretending this doesn't happen here or just started happening. I think that's a good step in the right direction. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I think one way to look at it is that like there there there have been regimes that are a lot more powerful and a lot sort of a lot more willing to kill, that have been brought down and have collapsed don't exist anymore. So, you know, as as as bad as everything looks on any given day, right, like people people have done this before, they'll do it again. And you know it's at some at some point they're like, we will hit a point where it's fucking too much, it will cease to be You're right, and our responsibility is to get everyone to that point.
Speaker 12: Yeah. I think it takes longer when the like insidiousness or the evilness is more subtle. Quote you know what I mean, Like when it's not so outright in your face. It's almost like it really takes longer to burn out. And yeah, we're just in that burning out phase. Yep, well, glad I enjoyed you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, this is to make it up here wage war against the capitalist system and the people who kill children for money.
Speaker 1: Hey, we'll be back Monday with more episodes every week from now until the heat death of the universe.
Speaker 9: It Could Happen Here as a production of cool Zone Media. For more podcasts from cool Zone Media, visit our website cool zonemedia dot com, or check us out on the iHeartRadio app, Apple Podcasts, or wherever you listen to podcasts. You can find sources for It Could Happen Here, updated monthly at cool zonemedia dot com slash sources. Thanks for listening.