Speaker 1: Herb Jones. We've talked about Herb Jones on the show before.
Speaker 2: I love them. I love them every time I read about him, every time I watch him, love him even more so. A big article just dropped from Mark Spears on what used to be called Oh I Forget, but it's now called Andscape. It's full of great nuggets about the Pelicans defensive stoppers. So this are the things that we learned. Number one, he's very cheap in the best possible way. So basically, Herb Jones isn't going to spend a penny of his money as long as he can help it. Like he has a hoodie, a WNBA hoodie, and the only reason he has it and wears it is because it was free. It was at a team event that he got it. When he shows up to work, shows up into the tunnel, he shows up and team issued.
Speaker 1: Why cause it's free.
Speaker 2: I'm not gonna spend my money on clothes. I'm wear my team Issuy gear and my slides and my socks. He turned down a vacation even when Larry nance Junior said that he was gonna pay for it.
Speaker 1: Whyugh, Because I don't want.
Speaker 2: To go anywhere.
Speaker 1: I don't want to spend any money.
Speaker 2: His dad insisted he needed a vacation, so he got into his charger that he's driven since college. He has not bought another car and drove four hours to Greensboro, Alabama, for a short vacation. No money of any note was spent. He slept one night one day, went fishing the next day, which by the way, he caught zero fish, and then he drove back to New Orleans, returned to the Pelicans practice facility.
Speaker 1: Then he got back to work.
Speaker 2: So they asked him, like, why why don't you spend any money, and he's like, I'm thinking long term for my kids. I have to wear Pelicans gear or whatever team gear for the team I have for the rest of my career. That my kids or my kids's kids go to school for free based on what I earned in the NBA.
Speaker 1: That I'm good. I'm cool.
Speaker 2: It's like, oh, Herb, that's that's awesome. Like how many kids do you have? You must have like a lot of kids if you can't buy new socks, like you have to just just just wear Pelicans team issued socks. None, he has zero kids. None, He's he's being cheap for kids. He does not even have yet.
Speaker 1: I don't know what.
Speaker 2: Kind of schools he's about to send these kids to, or how many kids he's planning on having. But I tell you what, you can buy some new underwear HERB Jones like you can. You can buy some jeans HERB Jones like you can. This guy is gonna make probably fifteen million dollars a year. He's in the second year of a three year contract making one point seven million dollars per year. Cause he was a second round pick.
Speaker 1: I bet you.
Speaker 2: He's still driving this Dodge Charger when his career is over. That's what I guess. HERB Jones over under on how many years he has twenty eighteen Dodge Charger, I'm gonna say the total. I'm setting the line at six and a half years, so by twenty twenty eight, let's.
Speaker 1: Hope, all right.
Speaker 2: Pat Beverly, oh my god, why why is he this? By the way, he's got the worst I think he's got the worst rating on the court of any NBA player right now. While I was out in Portland at the fill Knight Invitational, Pat Beverly got suspended for shoving DeAndre Ayton. Just a classic Pat Beverly cheap shot, so they asked him about it. He was asked whether he would do it again, and he said, fuck that, fuck him, We're not going for that shit. Ask people that's played with me, Ask superstars that's played with me. That's the reason why guys want me on their team. Very unfortunate situation. If I could play it back again, I would do the same thing. So what got so mad? That's the question. Why why was he so mad at DeAndre Ayton? It kicked off when we did the tip off. I shake everybody's hand. I put my hand on DeAndre Ayton's hand and he doesn't shake my hand. So something was brewing there from the beginning. Yeah, I don't know, Pat Bev, because the last time you guys played in the playoffs, you shoved Chris Paul, made him fall to the ground. Yes, I think the players of that team probably don't like you very much. No one as salty as Pat Bev, especially now that he's on a losing team. Finally, good news out of Boston as Al Horford has signed a two year, twenty million dollar extension. Remember when he was in OKAC just like not playing at all, Like they just let him go into the hot tub and the cold tub and get acupucture.
Speaker 1: That was it.
Speaker 2: Like, we didn't even know if al horferd was gonna play again.
Speaker 1: He was coming off of playing.
Speaker 2: For the Sixers and it was just not working, and everyone thought that he was washed.
Speaker 1: That's crazy.
Speaker 2: Not because it's like cheap, because Brad Stevens pretty cheap one third of the price of his former contract. But Brad Stevens said, yeah, he's a high level player who enhances everyone around him on both ends of the court. His work ethic, commitment to his body, to his craft, his unselfishness has set a daily example on how to win big in the NBA. His leadership has had a big impact on the coaches and players with whom he's competed here in Boston, and we are excited that he and his family are choosing to remain Celtics for years to come. So yeah, I mean, the interesting part of this deal is that it just fixes a massive historical mistake. The last time that al horfer was a free agent, he left, he bolted, and his career ground down to dust.
Speaker 1: He was no one was he was almost out the league.
Speaker 2: And now he's like, fuck, that I'm not hitting free agency this time. Let's just settle this now. And he says he regretted leaving. Last time he was open about it, and this time he said, has come to be a home to me, my family, my teammates. I continue to strive towards winning banner number eighteen. Great combo. He was always a Celtic. He should have stayed there. Everyone thinks of him as that. So Al Horford the Hawk, Al Horford the Sixer, Al Horford the Thunder. Those were not real moments, only Al Horford in Green and White. I'm happy he's locked down for what should be probably the rest of his career. If it's not already the rest of his career by the time he finishes that contract, it will be. Uh.
Speaker 1: That's all the time that we have for the heat Check. We were back Monday.
Speaker 2: Who check out the feed for past episodes as we get you ready for the twenty two twenty twenty three season that's already underway. It's not really getting you ready, is it.
Speaker 1: Don't forget to download subscribe.
Speaker 2: Please tell your friends and follow us on social ad at this heat Check and at Trista Criek on TikTok