Speaker 1: Welcome on it all to the Hammer Territory Podcast. My name is Sean Coleman. Hope. Wherever you are and wherever you are listening, Hey, you know what, you're having a better day today than you did earlier this week if like all of us here at Hammer Territory, the outcome of Braves ball games has a big impact on your day. But you know what, it's a positive, positive cast edition of the Hammer Territory after a big win over the Chicago White Sox and is always with me best podcast partner in the world, my friend in yours one of the best when it comes to breaking down the Braves. Stephen Tolbert, Stephen, how are you, sir?
Speaker 2: What's up, buddy? Yeah, it's it's been a rough stretch and we needed a win. And was it the prettiest win.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: The offense still, you know, left a lot to be desired, but the pitching staff really stepped up. We're going to talk about the game that was played today in Chicago. Of course, we're gonna talk about some of the main players of the game, some of the reasons they won, and then we're gonna break down the Milwaukee series that's coming up. But yeah, it was just good to get a win. And I don't really I didn't really care how it came. I don't care how it looked, how real or fake. It was just get a w. And they got a w today. So there's this is gonna be a more positive show?
Speaker 1: Sure? And what this And I think that with all the negativity that's been around the Braves, you know, over the past couple of weeks, you know, I go back to August seventh, when they started this, you know, pretty tough stretch of the schedule, playing against clear playoff teams or playoff contenders, and the Mets, who they struggled with. You know, the offense has has been you know, pretty bad. The bullpen has been among you know, I won't say the worst in baseball, but it's been you know, below average as well. But the negativity probably has taken away a bit from you know, the consistent see of the starting staff. Now, I think that there's some luck involved in that, you know, as I'll let you get into with Grant Holmes. But at the end of the day, the results have been consistent. The starting staff has consistently given this chance, at least a team a chance to win nine times out of ten over the past few weeks. They're doing their job, and Grant Holmes do one of the better jobs he's done all year. Six innings, allowed only one hit. This team overall gave it allowed a one hitter, which is something that the Braves you know, don't do every day. So that was certainly a positive note. And there's two truths to Grant Holmes performance. He did very well. He did his job. It was one of his better starts of the year. But still there was probably more fortune involved on his end than dominance, and I think that's worth noting as well, not to take away from how big and clutch his performance was, but I think that it also needs to be pointed out. As good as he's been, there's still still clear signs that, you know, hey, in time, a bullpen move may make the most since for.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, it really is kind of one of those things where two truths can exist at the same time. Grant had really good results today. Six innings, no runs, one hit, he got into he pitched into the seventh. He didn't get an out in the seventh, but he pitched into the seventh, and that is objectively a good outcome. For any pitcher. Now, if you look, if you actually like pour down into the performance, there were certainly aspects where there was nobody who was watching who was like, wow, this is a dominating outing from Grant Holmes. He had I think two strikeouts on the day and versus three walks, which is certainly not the ratio you want. It's giving up a lot of hard contact that you know, it was just one of those days where the babep gods were just smiling down on you. And that happens, right, That happens throughout the year some guys, that'll happen for you know, a large chunk of the year where just for whatever reason, even if there's line drives, even if there's one hundred mine hour batted balls or ninety mini hour batted balls, like the bab of gods just smile upon you. And I think that's how it describe Grant's performance today. On a different day, that exact same performance very easily could have yielded five or six runs. So you know, I don't I'm not gonna freak out over it. It's not like going to drastically change my opinion of Grant Holmes, who I still think is better used as a reliever. But the Braves needed it today. But I mean, even if it was a little bit fluky, they don't take the win away from you. It doesn't count any less because it maybe not the most real thing we've ever seen. The wind still counts and the way the offense has still been struggling. Those zeros that he was putting up, and we're gonna talk about the bullpen a little later in the show. The bullpen I thought was the real story of the of the day, but we'll talk about them in the second segment. The zeros that he kept putting up up they needed every one of them because the offense certainly had no point, you know, took the game over. So man, did they need it. They needed a performance. It was such a weird schedule.
Speaker 4: Thing with the day game.
Speaker 2: You know, a city you have to fly into, play one day game and then you're you're out again. Very unusual, and it was a it was a massive time to pitch a shutout. So credit to Grant Holmes, I think is the most real thing in the world now. But still all the credits are the same because they needed that win today.
Speaker 1: And we're at the point of the season, Stephen, where when you see these performances you talk about like what do they mean for right now? And for me, what it means is is that listen, if you want to give Grant Holmes another start and you want to go with the six man rotation, okay, the only thing that I asked is that you managed the pitching staff to where Chris Sale pitches on Friday Night the first game of the Brewers series, and he pitches the last game of the Dodgers series. If you want to, you know, fiddle with the starting rotation beyond that, that's fine. The bigger thing to me though, for Grant Holmes, whether he's a starter or whether he's a reliever, is that he continues to answer a bigger question and a more important question for me, how many braves arms can you realistically rely upon to get through an opposing playoff level lineup at least one time through in a playoff game. And I think that Grant Holmes has answered that. I think that he can do that. I think that him, aj Smith, Schhauber, Tyler Malley and Chris Selle are definitely the four that you can trust in. And when you get to that four plus area, that amount of arms that you can trust to go through a full playoff lineup at least once you're in a pretty decent position. That is a nice trade off for not having a clear number two starter. So I think you could take that away from Grant Holmes's recent performances.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, if the playoffs started today, and we really try not to do this every show, because I know this is something people are doing every single day. They litigate this thing every day depending on how the game goes. So like, if I was running things and the playoffs started today, I would definitely have Christal pitching game one. Obviously, Game two, I would have Tyler Mallley because ever since he's come over, he's done nothing but impressed. You know, the Braves have made a few tweaks and he's just been fantastic. I think he's the clearest second best starter on the team. And then for the third game, I would do a piggyback slash bullpen where in some order Grant Holmes is going through the order one time, a J. Smith Schaber's going through the order a second time, and then Didier flintees Dylan Lee and Rosciollglesias are going through the order the last time, and you know Dylan, you know, Sprinkling Dylan Dodd and you know whoever else you want you to actually get all the outs. But based on the personnel they have right now, that's what I would do. Now that could change. I still want to see more from a J. Smith Schover. What we've seen from AJ is that he's he's kind of running into a wall around the fifth inning and most of his starts, which is fun. You don't need AJ to go five in a playoff game. You really just need one time through the order, which is what you would need from a Grand Holmes. So you know, that's what I would do right now. I know, you know the Martin Perez people are gonna come out and say, hey, what about Martin Perez. I don't I said, don't trust it. I wouldn't trust in a playoff game. Grant Holmes, at least the first time through the order has like really solid peripherals to go along with the era, right whereas Perez is mostly just era stuff that's just kind of hiding all the negative stuff. So that's what I would do right now. Obviously we got a long way to go, but it was a big start from from Grant Homes today and you know they God, did they need to win. It was getting you know, the Phillies don't don't lose anymore, so it was getting. It was getting tight.
Speaker 1: The other thing that stood out from an offense perspective, and listen, the offense as a whole has certainly struggled, but one shining light that we've all been kind of waiting on that is starting to burn bright sound a better than I thought it would. The point I'm getting at is is that we're not to the point to where I think you can confidently say, oh, Austin Riley is back. I'm not going to say that, but I do think that we are to the point now to where, okay, Austin Riley, there's there's adjustments that have been made. We've we're coming up on about a month. I know it's the first part of this month stretch. He was striking out quite a bit, but man, his contact levels have been extremely, extremely positive basically the whole second half, and now you're starting to see him really deliver in big moments. I mean today he had both RBIs, you know, in a game that was just you know, a two nothing game. And it especially stands out when we'll talk about this a bit in the second segment. Riley is starting to come on as some of the other first tier second tier Braves offensive weapons are struggling a bit, So the timing of him becoming more reliable is great. And again from a playoff perspective, the deeper this Braves lineup is the better off it's going to be. And you know, Austin Riley can deliver in the clutch on any stage. It's just really good to see him putting together at bats no matter the situation, to where you can rely on him to get the job done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a really weird profile right now because there's so many strikeouts. Like I think he's running like a thirty six percent strikeout rate in August, which is crazy high. But he is hitting the ball so unbelievably hard when he makes contact. His average exit velocity in August is ninety six miles an hour, which is just insane. That is that's an insane number.
Speaker 1: Incredible.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and today, I mean he won them the game today. He had you know, Maricio Debon started off the third inning and I'll be honest, I was running around today. I wasn't able to like put my eyes on the game today. I was falling along via game day in stadcast. But Riches de Bond let off the third with a single up the middle, and then Austin wrote that double down the line and ratio scored and that was the only run in the game for a long time. And then he came up again. I think he singled up the middle the second time or the third his third at bat. He had two strikeouts in between, which is, you know, again, that's kind of what he's been doing. Like he's either swinging and missing or he's hitting the absolute piss out of the ball. So I don't know, you know, it's it's a really weird profile right now. But the bottom line is since July thirty first, Austin's got a one twenty five WRC plus. I think it might be a one twenty eight if you factor in today's stuff. So that's like very good. I mean, it's like kind of what I expect out of Austin rally, Like I think of Austin in terms of true talent level when he's going well, is like a one twenty five WRC plus. Guy I put Acunya in Olsen in like the one forty range, I put Baldwin in like the onenge, I put Austin like the one twenty five rates. And by the last month, you know, not quite a month, probably like three weeks, that's what he's been so and I don't really care about the strikeouts as long as you're producing. I think strikeouts are one of those things that are a little over talked about. It usually means you're swinging pretty hard, and it usually means you're working pretty deep in the accounts. And both those things are actually positive. So you know, we'll see, we'll see how it goes. I'm not there, I agree with you. I'm not like ulcernized back. We're not there yet. There's still a couple of red flags in the profile. But he was fantastic, was huge today, and he's been really big in August. I think he's been their second best there in August, behind Olsen. So tried it to him. I mean the Braves, my god, did they need it. And with the way the rest of the lineup is going, it was matt massive, massive production today.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it got the job done. The Braves bounce back in a big way. Thanks to Austin Riley. But the rest of the offense, especially the stars that they're now is the time for them to do the same because they have no choice with what's on the horizon in terms of their next two opponents. More on those stars needing to step up in just a moment after a word from our partners.
Speaker 3: We have pop in colors for mack Weldon.
Speaker 1: Here.
Speaker 3: I've got a little green shade. You've got a nice blue shade. And what else do you love about mack Weldon crats, I.
Speaker 5: Can be head to toe with Mack Weldon. I have the underwear, I have the shorts, I have the pants, I have the socks. Obviously we got the shirt and the jackets. But it's head to toe comfort no matter what piece they send. I even have a belt that looks sick.
Speaker 3: And make sure you check out mack Weldon's air Knit ex fabric to help you out. Their lightest fabric fused with nylon mesh for maximum airflow. Skip the midday wardrobe changes. That barely there feel also keeps you feeling more dry and more fresh. You can browse that collection at mackweldon dot com. Don't sweat the heat this summer. It feel as effortlessly cool as you look. With Mackwell, go to Mack Weldon dot com and get twenty percent off your first order of one hundred twenty five bucks or more with promo code foul. That's m A c K W E L d o N dot com code f O U L.
Speaker 1: I want to remind you Hammer Territory is engineered about the wonderful folks at fast and all. Email Foul Territory at fastenal dot com for more information. So, Stephen, some good to talk about today, but still a bit of bad. And it's necessary to talk about this because this aspect of the team has absolutely got to do a one to eighty overnight for them to really be set up to have success, you know, over the next week. And that is the top of the order. The Brave Star is getting back to being stars, and in particular we're talking about ronald' coooney Junior and Drake Baldwin. The simple truth is this you and when I talk about tiers of the Braves offense, the first tier is clearly ronald'coone Junior, Drake Baldwin and Metals. And there's a reason why those three guys in whatever order are batting in the top three of the Braves lineup. But right now Ronald cooony U and Drake Baldwin are not living up to you know that, you know, expected level of production. And I'm not necessarily concerned, Like I still am very confident that literally overnight they can change back to be in them normal sales. But the thing that is concerning to me is that, you know, over the years with Acunya and in the short time that we know Baldwin, even if they're batted ball, production has been a bit of a struggle. Their ability to get on base has still remained, you know, above average to elite, and Acunya's case definitely elite. But even that right now is something that is kind of an all encompassing struggle. What I'm getting at is is that for the month of August, currently both Ronald Acunya Junior as well as Drake Baldwin have less than a six percent walk rate. They right now are just not able to get the job done when it comes to getting on base. Acunya is at a four point one percent walk rate. Drake Baldwin is at a five point four percent walk rate, but It's not only the inability to draw walks. It's the fact that there's just bad decisions when it comes to plate discipline. And in the game and the finale against the Twins on Wednesday, you know, there was early in the game there was an opportunity for them to be able to drive, you know, or run in. I think it was runners on first and second, less than one out, both Baldwin and Acunya worth a two to two count, but then they chase bald three, Acunya rolled over and grounded out, Baldwin struck out. I think today we saw multiple scenarios where they had a chance to drive in runs with less than two outs, and both times both of them came up empty. Baldwin and Nkunya. What makes them so good offensively is that even if they were to struggle again with that bad and ball production on base ability still is something that can be reliable. But that's not there right now, and that's something that's got to get back in place. Once you get that back in place, I think there everything else will fall into place. But the plate discipline that kind of defines, you know, is a is a you know trade, an elite trade to both Baldwin and Ncunya. That's got to get back on track, now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's really where it's been most noticeable to me is the lack of walks, the lack of on base those I mean, I mean, obviously along with Matt easily the two best on base guys on the team. I mean, they just that's why they always bat one and two is because they're always on base. And you've seen a lot of chase, a lot of swing and miss in the dirt like pitches they normally take. And you know, in the month of August, I think, uh, Drake Baldwin has like a ninety WRC plus I think Acunya has like a one hundred or like a ninety nine WRC like, So they haven't been like awful, but there's certainly multiple levels below what you expect them to be. And they've had big moments where they could have really impacted games where we've seen some really rough at bats and like today, you know, Acunya just had some unbelievably bad at bats today and multiple big spots. Drake's had some big strikeouts and with the runners in scoring position, like I know, Acuna drove in a bunch of runs or not a bunch, but a large percentage of their runs in the Milwaukee series, but he had opportunities to drive in even more. And you know, just it's very inconsistent right now. And again, if you look at their production in August, it's not necessarily bad, it's just not where the Braves need it to be in terms of who we're talking about, what they're expected, Like, you know, Acunya and Baldwin. Ike's again I said this earlier. I expect those guys to be in the one thirty one forty WRC plus range. That's their talent level. And so when you see those guys at one hundred or below that, it's just it's you know, they the Braves need more. And you know, being hot in August is not everything. Of course, being hot in October is really what's gonna matter. But you know, it would just be lovely to see these two guys get on track. We still have not seen. I don't know that, Sean, correct me if I'm wrong. I don't know if at any point this year we have seen Ronald Cunyeter Junior, Drake, Baldwin and Mattlson all like hitting very well at the same time, like either they're not in the lineup at all because they're not healthy, or they're in there but they're not like on It just feels like we haven't had that at all this year, and that is one of the reasons why the Braves are middle of the pack in just about every offensive category except Homer's basically, but like all of the rate stuff, they're like fourteenth, fifteenth, sixteenth in baseball because like, those three guys, those are the three guys you expect to carry the lineup, and I don't think it's happened one time this year where all three are going at the same time. So Drake Baldwin, Ronald Cuney Junior, the Braves need more out of those two guys.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, if you recap it. So of course, there was also the stretch there where I think for like ten weeks from like uh May second through past the All Star break, you didn't have Baldwin and Acuny in the lineup together because.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, the Baldwin's injury and the Nacunia's injury. So you know in April when everything was going great, that's when you had him in the lineup the most. At least Akunya was getting no base Baldwin was otherworldly. And that's probably our best stretch to baseball this year.
Speaker 2: Then, yeah, it's a good point.
Speaker 1: Then in July, Matt Olsen was was going off like crazy. No early August as well. You know, Acunya is running a two forty three ISO in August, so he's still making hard contact. Baldwin, I haven't looked at it this deeply. I think that pitch, the pitching around the league has adjusted to him a bit to make it to where it's harder for him to be able to drive those low balls that he's you know, so attracted to. You know, it's it's amazing at times to see how much loft and power he can get behind those balls below the zone. And I think pitchers are kind of, you know, using that to their advantage against him, and it's keeping him uncomfortable, maybe bringing that down too much. But the point is is, listen, both of them have the talent to be able to get back going at any point in time and get back going quickly. And that's what they need to do obviously for us to have success against Milwaukee and the Dodgers. But the big thing is is they just need to get back to being confident in each approach to where they're not chasing, they're not flailing or you know, putting too much pressure on themselves. Just need to realize that, Hey, the whole bedrock of what makes you successful is the plate discipline that leads to a lot of walks. And then that plate discipline also allowed for you to queue up when you can drive the ball. Getting back to that would be really, really helpful.
Speaker 2: But he just one number real quick, because this kind of drives the point home. In the month of August, Michael Harris has two walks, Ronald Cooner Junr. Has three. Yeah, so almost the exact same number of walks in a month for Michael Harris and Ronald Coon Jr. That is not like that. That can't happen. My Ronald runs like a fifteen percent walk rate for his career. Mike runs like a three percent walk rate for his career. Like, Ronald's got to get back, and you're seeing it in the strikeouts. Ronald's striking out a lot right now because it's swinging up a lot of bad pitches. I don't know if I don't know what it is. I don't know if he doesn't feel comfortable with the plate or what. But like we got to get back to Ronald and Drake. Drake's running a really low walk rade in August two. Those guys got to get back to taking bad pitches and letting letting people walk them if they want to walk them, walk them. Having multiple guys on base when Matt Olsen gets to the plate is perfectly fine. Like it's a level of aggression that's been weird to watch. So yeah, it's been an issue.
Speaker 1: So if we want to talk about bouncing back, getting to the point earlier in the podcast that you said was probably the biggest takeaway or the biggest factor in the Brade's winning was how dominant this bullpen was. And listen, this was this was a glimpse at why you I others have talked about again, when everybody's healthy, probably the aspect of this team that is closest to be in true contender level is the back end of this bullpen. And you had Diddy hear for Wintes. Don't Lee and Ryce eel Iglacias all come in Diddy or f Wintest was absolutely nails coming in with you know, two runners on nobody else, but nine innings pitched. I don't that they didn't allow a hit and seven strikeouts combined between those two. All three of them had had some signs of regression here recently, especially rys Sale and Glaciers, so it was really good to not only see that they were bouncing back, but this Chicago White Sox lineup is no pushover. It's one of the better lineups that are in the league. So this also gives you a pretty good glimpse as to how impactful a reliable back in the bullpen could be in a postseason set up, and this felt like a postseason game. They got the job done, and it was great to see that, you know, they still had the ability in them to do exactly that get the job done, especially when it's need a win is needed so badly.
Speaker 2: So I got I got a trivia question for you. Let me see if you can get it. So, if you look at all the Braves' pitchers for twenty twenty six, if you look at four, Chrysale is number one at four point six f four. Yeah, can you tell me who's next? Who are the next couple of guys?
Speaker 1: Did hear for Wines and Dylan Lee.
Speaker 2: Did he hear Frontes and Dylan Lee? So two relievers, they're both right at like two war I think ones at one point nine and ones at one point eight, So basically the sorry ahead.
Speaker 1: No, And I was gonna say, I if Wintes gets to two f war, I will be. I think it's gonna be really fun to see like rookie relievers and MB history at his age who have produced that level of quality. You know, you've seen rookie relievers do it in their mid twenties, but like you know, I don't know what Krod did in two thousand and two. And again I'm not saying he's that dominant, but I would be I would venture to guess that someone as young as for Wintes doing what he's doing in a relief aspect, it hasn't been done very much. So it's a lot of fun to see what he's doing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and to be so again, Lee is at I think one point nine at four, Frontes is at one point eight. Those are both in the top ten in all of Major League Baseball. So effectively, the Brakes have two of the best relievers in baseball, two of the top ten best best relievers in baseball, and neither one is their closer or technically their setup man when everyone's healthy, like the obviously, the whole point of the team was it was gonna be Iglesias Sorez and then we'll figure out the rest. They're the two best pitchers on the team not named Chris Sale this year have been Dylan Lee and Diddeer Flintes. And we saw that today. Uh, if you didn't watch the game, gren Holmes, He's goes through six innings, everything's great. Seventh inning he walks the leadoff hitter and then he gives up his first hit of the game and then they pull him. And it's a two to nothing game at this point, so very much still a close contest. Very much the game could still be lost. They go to Didier Flintes with two guys on and no one out in the seventh. He goes strikeout, strikeout, strikeout to get out at the inning, and it's nasty stuff. Dylan Lee comes in the next inning and goes, I think, strikeout, ground out, strikeout. Iglaciers comes in the ninth and goes ground out, strikeout, strikeout. So they go nine up, nine down with seven strikeouts out of that group. That is pit. That is elite pitching. That is not That is pitching on a level where you're not you don't care about the bab it luck because you're not letting anybody put the ball in play anyways, like it doesn't matter. That is elite and that's that was the most encouraging part of the day because Fintest had run into a little bit of a wall. Glaciers certainly had run into a little bit of a wall. But when they pitched like that and they can shut a game down, I mean, they just shut that game down. Like the White Sox had some momentum, had two guys on nobody out. I think it was the heart of their lineup up as well when Flintes came in and he just mowed him down. And to have two relievers on your team who neither one are the closer who might make it to like a three win season is actually unbelievable. I don't know how many times that's ever happened. I'm actually just gonna I'm gonna have to look that up. That is not common at all, That rarely just having a three win reliever at all is very very rare. To have two of them on your team and neither one is the closer is pretty crazy. So Dylan Lee did your frontes, I mean, two of the unsung heroes of the twenty twenty sixth season, with all the rotation stuff, with all the offense stuff, with the Suarez injury, with the Iglesias up and down, like, Lee and Flintes have been absolute rocks this year. And it's crazy that Fintees is as young as he is and doing this. You and I have talked about it. I don't know that they can afford to take Fintes out of the bullpen. That might be just your future closer, that might be your next Craig Kimberl. I don We'll see, But my god, have they been good this year? And they were unbelievably good.
Speaker 1: Today, absolutely, and and and they're going to have to continue to be that because we talk about elite pitching, we talk about, you know, this Braves team. The stars need to be stars, the best aspect of this of these of this team needs to be back at their best coming up, because it's about to get real fun, real quick. More on some Marquee matchups coming up here over the next week after a word from our partners.
Speaker 4: Sea Gek is the official ticket marketplace for Major League Baseball, and anytime you want to go to a game, you should go to sea Geek. I used to call the director of team Travel, I used to call the traveling secretary whatever they want to be called KP to try to get a seat. But on sea Geek, I can pick my own seat and I can pick where I want to sit instead of being told where to sit.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's a great option. And summer is coming to an end here soon. I'm going out and finding all the day games possible, all all the warm weather cities so I could stay in this tank top I can watch very competitive baseball as the calendar turns in two fall. I want to make sure that I get the most out of this tank top and warm weather, and Sea Geek is where I would go and get my seats.
Speaker 4: You can use code territory ten for ten percent off your next set of MLB tickets at SIK. That's ten percent off MLB tickets with promo code Territory ten. Make sure you click the link in the description to download the app and have the code automatically added to your account so you can use it later.
Speaker 1: So Steve and I'll let you do a little bit more research and we will follow up with this, you know, as we go through the rest of the season. But I did just look up on fangrafs individual seasons for the Brais. I can look back ten years, I believe, you know, if if I'd think I need to sign in order to be able to look past that, but looked from twenty sixteen to twenty twenty six Here's a little bit of a trivia question for you. Who is the only Braves reliever over the past decade to have a two plus f war season. I want to ask you to give me the name of the year.
Speaker 2: Just give me the name, Okay, Who's the only reliever for the Braves to have a two F four season in the last ten years? That Tyler Matzik twenty twenty one season was nuts, aj Minterer had a couple of nasty years, and Iglesias has had a couple of nasty That would probably I would probably lean one of those three Iglesias, Mintor or Matsick. But I don't know who is it.
Speaker 1: Did you choose one?
Speaker 2: Oh? I got it is one of those I'll say Matsik in twenty.
Speaker 1: One, one year off and in one name of twenty two A J. Minter Aj. Now now to your point, the second was twenty twenty four Joe.
Speaker 2: Jimenez and then I forget about him.
Speaker 1: Third and fourth best relief seasons in terms of far for the Braves since twenty sixteen are Dylan Lee as well as Vidi or f Wintes this year. So it goes to show that we were talking about two and a half f war maybe three four relievers who are not closers. How rare it is. You see how rare it's been to where potentially the Braves could have two No you were if you were to look at a team having multiple two f four of better relievers who have five or less saves. I'm sure it hasn't happened that often, but that'll be a follow up to see what happens. So, Steven, I'm not sure if you will remember this, because I know you're not a WW fan, but I am going to tap into that, you know, realm of things here quickly. In twenty twenty two, the next big thing that was on the scene in WWE. His name was brock Lesner. And he faced the Rock at SummerSlam and won the title from the Rocket SummerSlam. Back in twenty twenty two, Rock wasn't that old, but he was towards the end of his ww career. Well, fast forward twenty four years and this year as SummerSlam, it was Obafemi, Who's the next big thing facing off against Rock Lesner. In each case you had the next big thing, kind of the rookie on the scene that really seemed to be the future of the position that they're in. And that's what you got in Jacob Misarowski. Right, You've got Jacob Mizerowski as being the next big thing doing something that we've never seen before, facing off against a grizzled veteran who's still at the peak in Chris Sale. The point that I'm getting at is is, rather you're a wrestling fan, a boxing fan, a UFC fan, this is about his marquee main event WrestleMania type level. What have you when it comes to pitching Jacob Miserowski the mizz versus Chris Sale. Obviously, in my opinion, two of the at least three, maybe four top candidates for the NLCY Young Race, we almost got it a few months ago when the Braves beat Mizarowski. We're getting it on Friday night, and it's going to be awesome to see. And I know that, Hey, a lot of people, you know, may not necessarily be that high on the Braves offense against Miserrowski, but let's not forget we faced him in June when we were struggling as well, and we got the job done against him. That Rissio debon two run single. I've talked a lot, but I'm talking it up because of how big it is, a really really marquee pitching matchup in a huge playoff preview to start off a big series on Friday night.
Speaker 2: Yeah. If you look in the National League, the top three pitchers in the National League by war are Miserowski, Christopher Sanchez, and Chris Sale. So it's probably, i mean easily two of the three best pitchers in the National League, probably two of the five best pitchers in baseball. Yeah, it's gonna be fun. I've never seen Misserowski's average fastball this year. Average fastball this year is one hundred and one miles an hour, which I I've never I didn't even know as possible for anybody much less a starter. It maybe one thing if a ninth inning guy was doing that, but a starter averaging one hundred and one miles an hour on your fourteen fasketball for the entire season, his nuts. Yeah, he's just unbelievable. But listen, the Braves beat him two months ago and in the middle of some of their worst baseball. That was in June, when the Braids were playing like ass for like two weeks. It was I think he was Miserowski versus like Perez Martine Perez, and then it was Harrison the next night, and the Brais beat both of them. One of the only series they won in June, ironically, was against these two guys. So obviously it's gonna be on the road. Also in the middle of this very weird road trip where a ton of travel over the next four days, four different cities in five days or something like that, So I certainly don't feel great about it. The offense still today, even though they won, did not look good, So you know, I definitely one of these games was like, all right, Chris, we're gonna need a shutout or we're gonna need like one run. Fuentes, Lee and Iglasiers all pitched today, I do think, let me think, I can't remember if any of them pitched on Wednesday, So it's gonna be just to see who's available out of the bullpen, because I have a feeling it's gonna be a low scoring game, which means typically you want your high leverage relievers. All of them pitched today, though, so we'll see what Walt has available tomorrow. But yeah, I mean, if it's like a two to one game, I mean, that's kind of what you expect. So it's not great news for the offense. Unfortunately, as the offense continues to struggle, probably the last guy on the planet you want to see, but that's who they get. And Milwaukee's a really good team, obviously best. I think they're the best record in the majors. So you know, at home, they're really tough. It's gonna be a tough it's gonna be a tough challenge. This is one of those series were like, I hate to say it, but like you're probably just hoping not to get swept, Like I would probably be happy with one out of three. I know that's that's not all that encouraging, but this is not a series going into Milwaukee against Mizerowski. It's not a series you can expect to win two out of three. You hope to win two out of three, but I would probably be happy with just split it or just winning one of the three and not getting swept.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And to add to how tough this team is, I think I lift it up yesterday, Milwaukee also has I believe it's that. I think I saw that they had a one point seven to one bullpen the r in the month.
Speaker 2: Their bullpen is. Their bullpen is so good. I don't know how anybody ever scores off this team.
Speaker 1: It's just waves. So how do the Braves didn't get it done? If they're facing such a good pitching staff, well, number one, if they create the run scoring opportunities. They can't sit here and go through multiple waves of opportunity and not get the job done. How do they get the job done? It's power, It's absolute power. That's what it comes down to. The Braves. When you look at all the playoff contenders that are out there right now, they've hit more home runs than any of them. I think the Braves have fifty plus more home runs than the Brewers this year. The Braves are the more powerful team. The problem is is that in August they've hit twenty two home runs. Eighteen of those home runs have been solo home runs. Sixty five percent of the Braves home runs this year have been the solo variety. And you just talked about, Steven, how some of these games could be two to one, three to two. The way the Braves can get the job done is in an innying where they get a couple of runners on a big blast. They can do it. They can get it done. It may not necessarily happen on Friday against Mesroowski, but if you can at least have over the next two games that type of power output happened one or two home runs and at least get one of the two. Then we get to Williamsport. Hey, you're in a different setting, a weird setup. Maybe things go your way, but power is going to be the key to get the job done. And of course, Steven, as you consistently point out, that's why this is a good playoff preview, because power is going to reign supreme whether you're here now in a big moment or you're in the playoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah no, that's I mean, that's how you beat great pitching. Is you you hope to get a single somewhere and then somebody pops a two run homer, right, and then you hope to do that maybe one more time somewhere in the game, and then try to make that stand up because you're not going to score eight run so against this level of pitching, if you score four runs, that is an incredible offensive performance, and you need to try to make that stand up so that you know, the idea that you're going to get like six hits in the same inning against guys you know pitching like this is just it's not impossible, but it's just very unlikely. So you know, this is why I've said for years and years, when you get into this playoff it's it's basically playoff style baseball with this level of pitching power is so important because you've got to be able to pop a two run homer after somebody gets a walk or a single, and that's your rally, right, That's how you put up crooked numbers against elite pitching. So yeah, the you know, we certainly need to see a little more patience out of the offense. I think it's been a it's been a weirdly aggressive offense for like the last three weeks where like, you know, you'll look up and the opposing pitcher has gotten you know, twelve outs on like thirty pitches, and it just happens every day, it seems like, and there's just they're swinging at everything. It's like everybody turned into you know, Michael Harris or you know, Ozzie, Like nobody has just taking anything, and I don't know, I don't know what. Sometimes when you get in a slump, everybody just tries to swing their way out of it. Maybe it's a little bit of that, but swinging at bad pitches is almost always a bad idea. It's almost never a good idea to swing at a bad pitch, and it's almost never a good idea to take a good pitch. But the brains are swinging in a lot of bad pitches, so they got to get back to being able to take bad pitches, work the count, take some walks, and hopefully pop a couple of homers. Not gonna be easy. Milwaukee's probably the best pitching staff, at least by production, probably the best pitching staff in baseball now. By talent, it's obviously the Dodgers, but by production, this year, it's probably Milwaukee. So even the guys that got pitching after Miserowski, I think the logan Henderson is on Saturday, very good pitcher. Most British fans probably never heard of him, which is a theme with a lot of Milwaukee's guys, Guys you've never heard of who are having monster years. They are a player development machine at this point. They've become the national version of Tampa. So it's gonna be tough. It's gonna it's not gonna be an easy series.
Speaker 1: And then you put all that young, controllable pitching together with the idea, hey we haven't even seen Jesus, what is it made come up yet?
Speaker 2: Yeah, they got that note like the number one prospect in baseball, so it's there.
Speaker 1: They're a very NBAS team. But hey, you know what, the Braves can get the job done. They did it earlier this year. Again, at the time when it did not seemed like it was the best setup for him, they got the job done. They can do it once again. It just takes again your stars being stars. You know Sale is going to get the job done. You gotta trust that the guys on your offense will do the same. Stephen, anything else from you as we wrap up this edition of the Hammer Territory podcast.
Speaker 2: There was one thing I wanted to say. I'm not an Atlanta guy, don't live in Atlanta. There's a there's a local radio station there. The name. As I was saying this, the name escapes me. But they just like had their laws. It's on it's on six't eighty. I can't remember the name of it now, but anyway, they had their like last show, uh yesterday, I think it's Chuck and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, chuck and turn off. I believe I'm.
Speaker 2: Chucking turn off. That's what it is. Anyway, they apparently they've they've been on the radio forever. Again, I'm not local, so I don't listen to it, but I know a lot of our listeners do, and I saw a lot of the online stuff of like, you know, congrats guys, congrats. So obviously a very popular show. So just congrats to those guys, you know, don't I don't know anything about like why they're stopping. Maybe it's just run its core. I know it's been a long time, so but yeah, just congrats to those guys for the braves. Don't get swept, don't get go win at least one of these games. Miserowski Versus Sale is an incredible baseball game to watch. It would be more fun if I didn't have a rooting interest, because now I've got to live and die with it. But like, just from a pure baseball perspective, Sale versus. Miserowski is as good as you will see all year. So I know it's a day game, it's a it's an inconvenient time to watch a baseball game tomorrow. But if you do get a chance that that is going to be premium level pitching.
Speaker 1: So it's chuck and turn off. And I'm not gonna act like I know the guys that will either. I'm not a local guy in Atlanta as well. But from the clips on six point eighty one thing that I can say is a compliment to them is I feel that it's fifty to fifty when I see the clips of some of the segments that they do, especially on the Braves. Seven of the segments that I look at and I'm like, where are these guys coming up with this stuff? Some of the segments I'm looking appen. You know, that's some really good thoughts if you have that time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they've they've had I've watched clips before and I was like, hey, that's like, yeah, talk radio is not always the highest bar, but like I've listened to clips on them for like, that was a really good point they made.
Speaker 1: So if you can balance hot takes that that cheering up conversation with you know, insightful information, that is a reason why you go twenty five years. So congratulations to those guys. You know, obviously six said he has a great relationship with the Braves. I know that they've had some fun moments with Alex and Topless as well, and they've let him have it when they when they've talked to him. So again, you know, a quarter century of great content. So so best of luck to each of those guys. It's it's always awesome, you know, to see the respect that's given to so many different parts of you know, so much, part of so much. Braves country has so many great minds and just pure fans of the sport. So congrats to them on a great run. But hey, the thing about it is, it's here. We talked about it for weeks now. This is the stretch of the schedule where the Brave got to make sure again those footstep getting lader when it comes. When it comes from the Phillies, You've got gain two. See big series in September against them on the horizon. You don't want to get behind the eight ball anymore than you already are. Get the job done over the next six games. I'll take a split all day long. But you know what, It all starts with step one and if sale can beat the Zarowski tomorrow, that'll be a huge, huge benefit to the Braves. For Steven Tober. You can find even be underscore outliers on Twitter, slash at Sean Coleman. You can find me at stat's sac amor Territory across all forms of social media, part of the Foul Territory family of podcasts. Until next time, Go Braves, big series coming up. We'll talk to you again soon here on the Hammer Territory podcast. You need to get in the ww Steve. It's