Speaker 1: Bloomberg Audio Studios, Podcasts, radio News.
Speaker 2: Polaris Dawn mission commander Jared Isaacman joined Bloomberg Technology host ed Ludlow to discuss his experience with SpaceX and the Polaris mission, when to expect Plaris too, and is involvement in the Starship program. Let's take a listen to that conversation.
Speaker 1: Jared, Now that you have had time to process and think, what is the conclusion you've reached about the significance of Polaris Dawn. What was the result of the mission and the experiment that you conducted.
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 4: Well, first one, sorry I can't be there in person. I really would have liked to. Second, to be honest, I can't say that I've had a lot of time to really think and reflections coming back.
Speaker 3: It's been just kind of a whirlwind.
Speaker 4: We've had a lot of you know, data reviews, debriefs, science research. We've we've been kind of bouncing around a bunch and it's still ongoing for some time. So but I will just say I think polaristam was just it was always meant to just be a small step in the right direction, you know, a huge team effort to move the ball forward as part of the you know, broader space ex vision of making life multiplanetary. So we've gone a little farther into space than we've been in a long time. We've tested out a new suit, which is just one small step in towards you know, towards building a uh, you know, a more scalable suit that's capable of walking on on the Moon or Mars someday.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: You know, we tested out Starlink, which worked incredibly well as an alternative pathway to mission control, which is also a step in the right direction off of legacy infrastructure. And then a lot of science and research experiments which collected tons of data points on but you know, really it's up to the researchers, the you know, the principal investigators to kind of you know, analyze that data and.
Speaker 3: Reach the reconclusions. But we're happy to support it.
Speaker 1: The milestones and mission goals were very different to Inspiration four, and I understand that was were you more deeply integrated within the SpaceX or in how you worked with them in preparation relative to the inspiration for mission.
Speaker 3: For sure.
Speaker 4: I mean the kind of phases you go through are all relatively the same. You know, there's kind of you know, a mission design period where you know what's in the realm of possible, you know, and then you kind of move into training for it. The difference with you know, Pleriston is it's a development program as part of a broader development initiative of the player's program, So we actually had to build things. You had to build a new suits, so you know, we were there working alongside the engineers from the first version of the IVA Space or of the EVA Space Suit to what ultimately became you know, qualification and testing of the the ultimate flight articles that we took to the vacuum chamber that we took into orbit.
Speaker 3: So that's very different.
Speaker 4: You know, we were there as you know, software is being developed to meet mission objectives or you know, the EQUALISS system, the extra nitrogen.
Speaker 3: Tanks and oxygen tanks.
Speaker 4: That we had, you know, the support pressurizing though, I would say like, yeah, we were much more deeply involved because the mission required us to be, because we were trying to do things that hadn't been done in a long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the stakes will say, hide Jared, you are not a SpaceX employee.
Speaker 4: No, I'm not a SpaceX employee.
Speaker 1: But how deeply are you involved in now the Starship program?
Speaker 4: Not very involved. I mean we're kept very well informed. I mean we're ultimately going to fly it, so you know, Hilarious will be the first crew that will take you know, starship to orbit. So so we we absolutely will are kind of kept informed and that there will be a time where we will get i think, very embedded in the development testing when it actually comes to when when they're actually working on things that are you know, most relevant for a human crew.
Speaker 3: You know, right now they want to get to orbit.
Speaker 4: Uh, they want to come back and catch their you know, their their booster and eventually their starship because that's how you achieve rapid reusability, which is so important if you're going to take starships to Moon or Mars, it needs to get fully topped off and refueled in lower Earth orbit. So there are just some immediate priorities that come before and like my attention would would go towards Polaris too, where we build off of Plaris one and and we'll be you know, kind of repeating the mission design, development and training phases again.
Speaker 1: What is the timeline from here for the rest of the Polaris program.
Speaker 4: I think the balance of this year is still very much like the data review and debriefs. You know, what did we get right, what could we have done better? And again, what is now in the realm of possible for the next mission, because you're going to build off of this one. I think, you know, SpaceX was very quick to say on the you know, on the X spaces after we came back, that you know, continuing to improve upon the suit running at higher pressure to minimize pre breathe requirements, a portable life support system. I think those are all reasonably easy to predict, you know, but we got to learn, you know, we've got to like really understand what we gathered out of this mission first, and and I think that's the balance of this year. And then I expect probably early next year, we're going to start designing the next Polaris mission again, just kind of move the ball forward.
Speaker 1: And I guess it would be an appropriate time to kind of ask what the broader mission statement is for the Polarists, the program at large, Jaron.
Speaker 4: We're really just trying to kind of accelerate, you know, SpaceX's timeline towards you know, making life multiplanetary starship is the obvious vehicle to do that. But we don't have Starship today. We have Dragon. So and Dragon was initially developed to go from point A to B, from here to the space station and back and do it very well. And now we are taking that vehicle because it's here and there's not a lot of Spaceship choices to work with, like it is the best one to use as a development platform, uh to ultimately, you know, better prepare humankind when Starship comes online. So to give you examples, like we flew Starship Life support sensors on our Dragon mission, Like you know, the various sensors that detect you know, oxygen.
Speaker 3: Levels, CO two levels, you know, pressure levels.
Speaker 4: You know, these are these are our bank of sensors that are part of the Ecless system.
Speaker 3: We're all Starship ones and not Dragon ones, you know.
Speaker 4: So that's that's kind of the idea is to you know, bridge this massive gap from what we have today with Dragon, which is which is an awesome spaceship, but to Starship, which is going to be you know, a revolutionary step forward, like it is a it is a total game changer, and when it comes online, you know, we're going to very quickly be able to return to the Moon and go to Mars. And you're gonna need suits, You're gonna need new communications systems. There's a lot of things we're going to have to figure out because they're not planning to build you know, three or four of them, they have two factories to build potentially hundreds of them.
Speaker 3: Right, that's the aim of players are kind of help.
Speaker 1: And an approximation. Please, when will you fly Starship I?
Speaker 4: You know, I leave that to the experts at SpaceX and Elon to kind of determine the timeline on it. We'll fly it as soon as it's ready. But right now, there's a lot we can do with Dragon, and that's why the first two player's missions were were designed for Dragon.
Speaker 1: Jared, what we want to do with this is help our Bloomberg Technology audience around the world understand what is really happening inside of SpaceX. Explain it, what it's like working with the engineers, and how important you feel this company is not just to an industry, but I suppose, as you put it, humankind's future outside of Earth's atmosphere.
Speaker 4: I what an awesome question, right, Look, SpaceX is an extraordinary organization. You know, since I've been sixteen. Since I was sixteen years old, I've been in business and have worked with literally like thousands of companies, you know, across a lot of verticals, including defense aerospace. I was the CEO of a defense aerospace company I started for you know, almost twelve years, and I've never seen an organization like SpaceX. You know, there's a lot of a lot of companies that have a mission and vision statement on their website that no one cares about. I can tell you there's fourteen thousand people who show up for work every day at SpaceX, and they believe that there is no greater impact they can make in the world than trying to make life multiplanetary, because the world is a more interesting place when you can journey among the stars.
Speaker 3: I mean, they believe it.
Speaker 4: There's some of the smartest people in the world, and they're very passionate about getting there as quickly as they can. Every question, every development initiative, every dollar that's spent, you know, has the question posed to it of will this help us get to Mars? And that's applied to all the objectives that you know, we assemble as part of the player's program. It's very cool to watch people work so quickly towards such an outrageous goal, and the vast majority of it is is privately funded.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, think about it.
Speaker 4: This is like a Manhattan Project level endeavor, or take the Space Race of the nineteen sixties, but without the four and a half percent of GDP us GDP being you know funded, and you know, in Tanasa, it's largely a commercial, private endeavor for the benefit of everyone. All that aside, I do want to say that, like SpaceX isn't solving all of the world's problems clearly, and even going to Mars, like they may develop the optimal vehicle to take us there and back, but there are still you know, like who knows how many potential challenges that will exist on that journey. They're making it a self sustaining city and coming back. So I think so cool about SpaceX is they inspire so many other engineers, you know, scientists, researchers who start up different companies that follow SpaceX philosophies like it. It will take so many SpaceX like companies to make this to make the world a much better place. And they're just a great beacon that is like inspiring many others to do the same.
Speaker 2: That's Jared Isaacman, Polaris Dawn mission commander, speaking with host ed Ludlow, Dan Schwartzman, And this is Bloomberg