Speaker 1: To accept press one just still a voicemail. Hello, Oh my god, is this Wile?
Speaker 2: Yes? Who is this?
Speaker 3: Oh my god, Lyle, I'm so excited. This is Barnacle. How are you? How are you in Tokyo right now?
Speaker 2: I'm doing good. I'm living life. I'm around, I'm somewhere. I'm somewhere in a room in the world. I'm around, Barnacle. What's up with you? Where are you?
Speaker 3: Dude? Okay, I'm in Alaska, And let me tell you, I'm so fucking excited. I saw that you're coming here. Yes, every day, every day I look at the thing to see if it got taken off of RSVP, and it's still on RSVP, and it's kid.
Speaker 2: Did you RSVP? Did you hit the did you put your phone number in the thing?
Speaker 3: Of course? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, then you will. I will for you, I promise you. First of all, I'm very happy to hear that you're excited. I've been wanting to do it. I have been wanting to do a show in Alaska since I started doing shows. So I'm excited that at least one person will be there. So so thank you, Barnacle.
Speaker 3: What what is the draw to Alaska? Like? Why are you excited to come up here?
Speaker 2: I'm running out of places to go to in life. I'm just running out of places. I mean, why go to Alaska? I don't know. It's just like it's just a thing. It's like, what's going on over there? You know? I'm kind of I'm kind of a runner. I kind of I'm like, I mean, I'm addicted to novelty in some sense, and so I'm always like I'm always trying to find the new Uh where the sauce is?
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: I mean that's why I do all this traveling and stuff. And I don't know, I Alaska is a curious Alaska is a curious place to me because it's America. But it's totally not because it's so far way. It's a different place.
Speaker 3: You know, what do you? What? Do you? What? What do you mean?
Speaker 1: It's what it's like.
Speaker 2: Listen, I'll go there and I'll figure it out on my own. But anyway, Barnacle, Uh, well, what's up with you, Barnacle? Is there anything in particularly called in to talk about?
Speaker 3: Dude? Okay, this is so wild. I have I called you. I'm not even like I have you as my contact, like as a contact in my phone. I have called you like three million times with like things to talk to you about, and like tonight I just called you randomly and You're like, hello, this is therapy echo And now I'm like okay, I no, yeah, no intentions like I.
Speaker 2: Will have Well, how about this, Well, the last time you called me and you had something you wanted to talk about, what was it?
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, let me, you know, let me look at like what I've texted you.
Speaker 1: Let's see.
Speaker 3: Uh, because I've done that, which I don't know does that actually work? Like the texting things?
Speaker 2: Let's see? You said?
Speaker 3: Uh, oh god, it's embarrassing.
Speaker 2: Oh you want to talk about you want to talk about strip clubs? That's what you wrote.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh. The amount of things I've like texted you is outrageous. Well, okay, I guess if that's the case, Uh, you should definitely go like you said, you like, you know, just floating around the world if you ever find yourself in Portland. The best strip club in Portland is Oh no, I'm like fucking forgetting it.
Speaker 1: What is it called?
Speaker 3: It's third They have steak there. They have steak and you can eat like and they raise the cows so you can like get this incredible steak acropolis. That's what it's. It's called okay okay, and you can literally yeah, you can literally like sit down and have a steak and get like a lap dance. It's like the best.
Speaker 2: That sounds cool.
Speaker 4: Do you go to strip clubs?
Speaker 3: Are you like into that?
Speaker 2: I've been to some strip clubs. There's a good shout out in Miami. There's an awesome strip club. It's called the gold Rush. I went there. I filled. I went there like to do like an event once and then I came back to like film something, and then I went with some people after a show in in uh let's see, maybe one or two three years ago. Yeah, I like strip clubs. I went, I did, like, I did some filming at a bunch of strip clubs in Portland like five years ago. But I just never released any of that stuff because it wasn't it was it wasn't that great because since we could really like film inside of the club. But but yeah, are do you You're not a stripper? Are you? Or are you just a fan?
Speaker 3: No? No? I actually like I really love strip clubs because people, you know, people really relaxed in there, like you can really learn a lot about people, like you know, like single serving friends kind of like on spit club, Like you go in there, sit down and like meet just random people that are in there. So like that night that I went into Acropolist, it's actually, this is so outrageous that we're talking about this right now, because it's been a while. It's been like three years since I've texted you that I was having like a family reunion at Comic Con in Portland. It was like me and my dad and my sister and my brother, and uh, we don't like get together often, like we're kind of a dysfunctional family, and so it was like a big deal, you know. And my sister and I ended up having a huge fight comic Con, and it was really embarrassing, like like yelling, like Spider Man was like staring at us, Like it was just so bad. And so I ended up like going back to the hotel and like grabbing a beer and was like you know what, fuck this shit, I'm going to the strip club. Like I'm gonna give some space to like my family and I'm just gonna go have a great time. And I had dated this girl for a bit who had told me about Acropolis in Portland that you could get like a really good steak in a laugh dance. And so I went there and met like immediately met this dude shout out Matt in Portland the Luther, who I don't have his number anymore, and I hope he's well. But anyway, sat down, start chatting to this dude. He his family was driving him crazy, My family was driving me crazy, and we ended up having just like the most old, the epic night and like just talking to strippers and just talking to random people in there, and yeah, I just love you know, I just love strip clubs because people just like they go there for a reason and they just chill the fuck out, you know, and I like I like to like talk to people and learn about them and just you know, raz you know, uh.
Speaker 2: Did you did you meet any particularly interesting people, whether strippers or clients that you remember?
Speaker 3: Oh? Well, Matt, Matt the Luther. He really stuck out to me because he was like, you know, do you ever like meet wild do you ever like meet someone and you're like instantly, like, man, we could be friends, or like we really vibe or like the connection. There's just like really good and the conversation flows and it's just like easy. It was like that, you know, it was like, yeah, it was like it was it was great to meet him. Uh. We talked to a lot of the strippers that were working there, and they were wonderful, like great people. But yeah, you know, I think like that was a great experience. There's also there was a strip club in a place called can I in Alaska, which is like it's like a really small town and probably shouldn't have a strip club. And you know, this is like years ago, but my friend's husband actually passed away and we ended up going to the strip club. I don't know why. It was grief is strange. We ended up going there and I had like the most philosophical, like crazy conversation with like a like an eighty year old dentist. There there was like a pregnant lady dancing and I was like just sitting there drinking while my other friends were drinking, and this guy was sitting next to me and we started talking about like death and what that means, and it was just like so ridiculous, and yeah.
Speaker 2: What did you what did you learn about what death means? That's one of your I'm looking through the things that you texted me, and I would love to try to I would love to chat about death and what that means is on there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I can't even remember like when I texted you that that must have been recent. Gosh, I don't know. You know, death is so crazy. I used to work in the medical field for a very very long time, and I've actually had like people pass away like on my care or like I've seen people pass away. My mom passed away when I was twenty seven, and I've had various friends pass away and stuff. And I think it's so much more like maybe less personal than we think. You know, a lot of people like.
Speaker 2: It.
Speaker 3: Kind of like of course death is you know, death of a loved one is devastating. I'm not trying to downplay that, but uh, you know, I work in like biology now, and like I just feel like death is just so part of like the natural process. It's just like society art in our culture specifically like has it. We don't like know how to process or handle that.
Speaker 2: Well, what do you mean our when you say our culture specifically, do you mean like Americans?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I mean I know you consider Alaskan Americans.
Speaker 2: Well, okay, well to that okay, well to that point where what what cultures do you think do have a better perspective?
Speaker 3: You know, that's a great question, you know. I think, uh, like the Philippine uh culture, like the Filatino culture. I think that like my friend, she's Filipinos. She was saying that they like spend time with the body and like, and I could be totally wrong. I could be totally wrong. This could just be her family. I'm not sure, but I know for a fact that there's like other cultures there in the world that like they spend time with the body. There's like you know, they'll have a body in the house for a long time, and visitors and like family can come and like spend time with you know, the deceased family member or loved one and there. I mean, I think all over the world they probably like handle death very differently. I think, like at least from what I've experienced, and just like in the medical field and just kind of like in general, uh, it's it's very much like hands off here, right, Like usually like somebody dies and then it's like they're kind of lists away and either put like in the ground or like cremated. I mean, and I guess it depends on like the family member and what they want. But have you ever thought about what you want when you die.
Speaker 2: I don't think I want the box. The box seems weird to me. Yeah, I'm thinking more. I'm thinking more ashes, you know, or I'll give my body the science. I don't really care. I don't really have a preference, do you.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, I definitely want to be like cremated. But you know what, I just found out you can be composted. Did you fucking know that? Like that?
Speaker 2: I did not know that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can be put well I guess it's a box. Well, but you could be put in a box and then composted, and then I guess your family members can like put you in a garden or something. So that's kind of interesting. Uh, But yeah, like it just seems weird to be put in like a graveyard and just kind of like put a plaque on you and then like you just kind of sit there and I don't know, decomposed. I mean, I guess it's it would be nice to go back to the earth, but I don't know. And then like people do weird things with ashes, right, They like put them in a box and then they never they just like you just stay in like a jar for the rest of your bone ashy life. I don't know, yeah, I mean I would want to be released. Hmmm, Like that would be weird to be in like a little jar, right.
Speaker 2: M I h I don't know. I feel like, uh, I just don't care at all, Like it doesn't like I'm not there anymore. I can't. I don't have an experience. I guess, like the people around me, right, like if I like, like if I have a kid, like if they're like if they're like, oh, I don't want to see them in a in a weird whatever goodever my my family. I don't even want to burden my fan. Whatever is the least expensive, truthfully, whatever whatever, that's what I would do, Yes, I think whatever the least expensive option is, whatever the government is willing to pay for to get rid of the dead people that are in the place, That's what I'll do. Yeah, the funeral would be nice. I'd like a funeral, you know. I mean, yeah, funeral will be cool. I mean I'm saying it's like like i'd like a funeral. I don't get to have a funeral, Like I'm not there, you know, it's it's not like a wedding, you know, I don't look at it as mine. It's for other people. If if enough people like me that they want to put together the funeral, then they can do that. But I think that uh, I think that that that's there are people who put to get put on their own funerals.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: If I'm like seventy years so that I would probably putting on my own funeral.
Speaker 3: What would you be in your get costume in Okay?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I mean, you know what, you know what? You know what? I don't know. I hope. I have no fucking idea what will be of the gecko by the time I die? But uh, throw a glove in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: I don't want to be in the I don't I don't want my I don't want I don't want to. Yeah, no, it's uh. I actually I have this weird thing where like I don't like if, Okay, in my real life, uh, if somebody, if somebody I know in real life calls me gek, I really don't like that. But the opposite, I don't mind the opposite. I don't like if somebody who I've never met before that just listens to the podcast. If I meet them and they call me Lyle, I don't mind that at all. I I I find that. I think it's nice. Actually, well, I mean if they if somebody I've never met, if I'm wearing the Gecko costume. If I'm wearing the Gecko costume and somebody I've never met calls me Gek, I also find that nice. I like, I like Gek. But if like I'm just like hanging out with my homie and I'm and we're just like together and like and he calls me Gek, I'm like, why you call me Ghek? If I'm wearing the costume, it's different, you know. But like if I'm wearing the If I'm wearing the costume and some random person comes up to me, it's like Yo, Lyle, I'd be like, Yo, what's up?
Speaker 3: But like your friends calling is offensive? Like the people that are really like yo Gek, You're like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that'd be a little weird. It's not. It's not offensive. It's just like strange to me.
Speaker 3: Hmm hmmm. That's interesting. It's kind of like living double double lives.
Speaker 2: Well, like if I get I don't know, like if like if if if mister Bean's wife called him mister bean, it'd be kind of weird, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: It might be a kik You never know.
Speaker 2: Wow, I don't mind being called gak, like you know when I'm I mean, I am. I like being called gek, But I guess it's just like if like my family does it, it feels feels kind of weird.
Speaker 3: You know, are you so ghak? Like speaking of I'm like really excited for you to come to Alaska. Are you gonna like bring your family up and like show them around? Do they travel?
Speaker 2: No, I'm do what does my family travel with me? Like does my mom travel?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Or like yeah, or like, by the way, is like the coolest I.
Speaker 4: Listened to that Oh thank you that podcast you get because it was cool to see like or listen listen to you and your dad interact like that.
Speaker 3: It was like, oh, yeah, this is where this is where Yle gets it.
Speaker 2: Man, that is totally it is a percent where I get it from. Yeah, I'm glad you liked that episode. Yeah I like that one too, man, I like that one too. Yeah, my dad, my dad's the best. No, No, he doesn't travel with me my actually my my childhood best friend is going to come with me on this tour, which is nice normal normally. I I don't think he's going to come to Alaska though. I think I'm probably gonna go to Alaska. Not actually wait, par Nacle, I actually have a quite actually this I'm glad. I'm glad you brought this up so well. So I'm making I'm making uh uh these documentaries right like I made one in Iraq, I'm made in Ukraine. I want to make one in Alaska for sure. Do you have any suggestions where? Like what should I cover in Alaska?
Speaker 3: Y oh fuck? Yeah, okay, okay, I'm so excited right now. Okay, so I'm assuming you're going into you're doing your show and Anchorage.
Speaker 1: I think that's yeah, doing the.
Speaker 2: Show Anchorage in October. It's in October.
Speaker 3: October, Yeah, okay, I'm so excited. So October is like, uh, it's like fall time. It's starting to get pretty cold around then. Uh October, You're like coming in mid October, so like before Halloween. So it's yeah, it's getting kind of like kind of nasty around them. I definitely think, man, there's so much stuff in Alaska to do and places to see and things to do and all that. I would say, definitely go downtown and do interviews. Downtown. You'll meet like a wide variety of people. Actually, Like years ago, I called in and I talk to someone like on the phone line. He said he was your manager, and he said that you guys were trying to do Coots, Like there was a bar named Coots that you guys.
Speaker 2: Are must have been years.
Speaker 3: Ago, yeah, thousands of years which I think you should definitely go to KOTS.
Speaker 2: I think interviews doing Coots.
Speaker 3: You Okay, that's I think.
Speaker 2: I think I'm doing Coots. Yeah. How many people does that sit? Like one hundred.
Speaker 3: Fifty has like multiple bars inside of it, and so it just depends what section. I would, you know, not hundreds, not hundreds. I would say like maybe one hundred people, probably way less like sixty maybe, I don't know.
Speaker 2: It's it's that sounds good, bar, that sounds great. Yeah, that's perfect.
Speaker 3: Oh my gosh, I'm so excited for going to KOTS. I would say, like it would be cool for you to go to like Talkita. Cal Quina is like a real kooky, little whimsical town and there's a lot of really fun, strange, cool Alaskan people like essentially like the further you go out from anchorage, like the stranger and funnier and like wilder people are. I'm very biased. I'm from Homer, Alaska and so and Homer's like stunning.
Speaker 2: Now actually here here's well I was gonna say. What I'm thinking is like, I want to tell me if you can help me with this I want to do. I want to make a video called being a gecko on an Alaskan fishing boat, Like how do I like, how do I hang out? Like how do I hang out with like the depressed alcoholic uh fishermen? That's what I wanna I want to see.
Speaker 3: Easy, go Okay, you need to go Okay, you need to go to either Homer uh and hang out on the dock. You can go to you know, it's a great place.
Speaker 2: Do you know?
Speaker 3: Actually you should definitely go to Juno. Juno's stunning. It's wonderful. I love it there. Go hang out on the docks. Talk to the fisherman. Definitely talk to the fishermen a lot of times. Okay, so I used to fisheries is like what uh fisheries is like I was in the medical field and now I'm going into fisheries, and uh I've done some like charter fishing myself, and like love like my whole life is like fishing, but really well kind of yeah, yeah, yes, I love fish. But like if you go down to the dock sometimes, like commercial fishers will like go up to the dock and they'll have like a sign like selling king crab or selling like dungeness crab or like you know here, like I would definitely recommend going up to them and a yeah, yeah, it's fucking awesome, but also like interviewing them, and I.
Speaker 2: Really want to do that. I really want to do that. Yeah.
Speaker 3: The Alaskan fishermen are incredible, like they are they have the wildest stories. Yes, they are like incredible, hearty people. They are like the backbone of our economy up here, like they are so important and so wonderful, and I definitely recommend you talking to them, like they are in fantastic people.
Speaker 2: Yeah totally.
Speaker 3: And you know, I just think so, do you know, Homer, those are probably gonna be your like hubs for fishers for like cool, cool, crazy fun fishers.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna forget about all this, but once, I mean, I guess it's being recorded, but well, now once I'm actually once, it's actually time to go down there and I have all my shit. Uh, I'll be ready, dude.
Speaker 3: I mean, like, uh, if you want me to text you some suggestions, I'm happy to do that, or like.
Speaker 1: If you if.
Speaker 3: You need someone to show you around, like I'm super happy to. Like Alaska is huge, you could you could explore it for some time.
Speaker 2: Uh did you grow up in Alaska?
Speaker 3: Dude? Yeah, I grew up in Homer. Actually, Homer's like my stomping grounds, such an Anchorage.
Speaker 2: For like, did any part of you ever want to leave Alaska? You're Alaska for life.
Speaker 3: That's a great question. I think like every Alaskan when you're growing up here is like fuck Alaska, I'm moving to Portland or like I'm or I'm going to like travel and then you like get older and like either you do that or you don't. And for me, I like moved to Anchorage and I stay there for ten years and I did a little bit of traveling but not much. And now I'm like, I can't imagine living anywhere else. Like a lot of people will leave and then come back. A lot of my classmates have like moved back and like have families here now. Like Alaska's just so special and it's just not like anywhere else. I mean, I guess you're kind of right, like it is kind of removed in like a very different part of the world, but you know, it's just so special. I just I honestly can't imagine living anywhere else. Yeah, so I like, yeah, I've been here a long time. Uh. That being said, like I really admire the traveling that you do, first off, and like in this next phase in my life, like traveling is like going to be my priority. Yeah, so I'm looking forward to that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, dude, where what are you trying to? Where are you trying to go? What are you trying to do?
Speaker 3: Oh my god. I just like, you know, sometimes I imagine like buying a buying a van and like just traveling around the US seeing a bunch of stuff there. I definitely I've been to Japan. My brother lived there for in Hiroshima for a bit, so I went over there.
Speaker 1: Cool.
Speaker 3: I'm super excited about that at Japan. So fun. But yeah, I want to just snowboard and like dirt bike and camp and like hunt a fish and like hike and just do a bike and skiing and just do like all that everywhere as much as I can, you know, mm hmm.
Speaker 2: That's awesome. Is like I've heard I mean, I've heard this. I've heard that the that like in the winters there's like a couple hours of daylight at best for like months.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, watch like your you're kind of you're kind of nerdy. How did you ever watch that like vampire movie, like Thirty Days and Night?
Speaker 2: Mean, what makes you what makes you say I'm kind of nerdy? Not not by the way, By the way, by the way, I am, I am, but I don't feel I'm not really I'm not like nerdy for like I'm not really nerdy for like movies and TV shows who things like that. I don't really watch movies or TV. I'm like nerdy about like video games, yeah.
Speaker 3: Which yeah I love that. Yeah, I love like yeah Mario Karr and shit. But like, you know, that's actually surprising because like you went to school for film, right, and you're kind of like, I mean, you're doing like the film stuff, So that's kind of surprising that you're like not nerdy about like film and movies, and yeah, that's like.
Speaker 2: I've I've always been like that. I I'm mainly I mean, I like to make stuff, but I don't really Uh, I have too much ADHD. That's why I'm in the video games, is all the ADHD. I have too much ADHD to like sit down and watch a movie, you know, m.
Speaker 3: It's more engaging. I feel like it's it's it takes more brain power to like sit down and play a game, and it's so much more like creative than like watching a movie, you know.
Speaker 2: M hmm, Okay, wait, what's this vampire thing you were gonna tell me?
Speaker 3: Oh? Oh yeah, sorry, I got de realed.
Speaker 2: I uh.
Speaker 3: It was a reference to a comic about Alaka Thirty Days a Night. Anyway, Yes, the winters are very dark, and you know, the older I get, like, it's like it's kind of like this while like you wake up to go to work, you go to work, or like you wake up and it's fucking dark. It's like pitch black. You go to work, you kind of peek your head out, it's like, yeh, it's like kind of light outside. And then you get off work and.
Speaker 1: It's pitch black.
Speaker 3: And so it's like you have to you have to go outside, like you have to, you have to be active, you have to have a community, You have to like take care of yourself in the wintertime here because like people will get like vitamin D deficient or you know, they'll herm it up and get isolated and it's just like not good for you. So a lot I think a lot of people up here, they're just like pretty active, Like can you is really important up here. The older I get, the more I'm noticing like that darkness is like it gets pretty heavy around December, and that's like pretty tough, especially like when I was growing up in Alaska, there was always like so much snow. Like as a kid, you know, Halloween time, you couldn't even tell like what fucking costume you were wearing because you were wearing a fucking snowsuit over it because there's so much snow, you know. And now there's not really a lot of snow up here, like in October December, so like when it's dark like that and there's not a lot of snow, it's like kind of dreary and like it's draining a bit. Uh So, yeah, it's Toscac, like it's not, it's not easy. And then it's like weird when I do go to the lower forty eight uh, and it's like gets dark at like seven, but there's like all this light. It's like it's like very biz. It feels like being in a different world. And then in the summertime it's like the opposite. It's like light twenty four fucking seven. It's like constantly bright. And so I feel like m Alaskans will be out like mowing their lawna like midnight is like doing wonky stuff, you know.
Speaker 2: But that's that's that Okay, So that part sounds but the eternal darkness sounds awful, but the eternal light sounds cool. I like that idea, Like, yeah, just endless day, you would.
Speaker 3: Like be mowing your lawn at like midnight, you would be you would be active.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean how long is the like Okay, So is it literally like fully light out at midnight?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yes, they call it like the Land of the Midnight Sun. Yeah. Like like, for instance, you know, like fishing is like way important up here, and so like a lot of fishers, like people that are sport fishers or fishers like will go fishing at like fucking midnight, dude, and like everybody's out there, Like nothing is better than like being out on a river or like in the ocean and you're just like throwing a hook. It's like midnight. There's like people in the water with you, like yelling about like catching their fish, and it's just like it's just like such a great feeling. Yeah, it's wonderful, But you're in October, which is kind of like the in between, which is tough. I wish you were going to be here like in the summertime.
Speaker 2: Well, Barnacle, it was nice talking about Alaska with you. I'm definitely I'm more excited there to come and I are. I appreciate and you've made me excited because I appreciate that people will be there. Get tickets at Therapy Tour dot com. Therapy Get go Tour dot com. Uh, Barnacle, is there anything else you want to say to the people of the computer before we go?
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, if you put your mind to it, if you're creative enough, if you're flexible, and if you're willing to work heart at it, you can do it like anything you want, you can do it. Beautiful, it looks like awesome, talking with you.
Speaker 2: Thank you great, talk to you too. I'll see you in Alaska.
Speaker 3: Yeahw trout see you later.
Speaker 2: Beautiful Alaska, What a beautiful city. Hello? Hello, what's up man? What's your name?
Speaker 1: Hey? Gag?
Speaker 2: This is Liam, Liam, Liam Neisson.
Speaker 1: I know a guy I wish that you want that. This is Liam Neeson Lee.
Speaker 2: Uh, that's the only Liam Neeson I know. Yeah, he's the taken guy. Go ahead, name a guy, Name a guy, just name anyone. Doesn't have to be a Liam. Just named someone. Uh.
Speaker 1: I don't know. There's that one other actor. I think he's Australian.
Speaker 2: I've do three times now. I've tried to open a call asking to call her to name somebody, and they can't do it. They can't name anyone. Didn't even be a famous person.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, I don't really think of other Liams too much. I've only met a couple others, to be honest.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but you didn't. It's never never mind, never mind, forget it for I'm gonna stop doing this because I don't think. Hold on.
Speaker 1: Maybe next time, maybe next time, maybe.
Speaker 2: The next person, well you know who cares? Who cares about anything? Liam?
Speaker 1: Uh?
Speaker 2: What's up?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Would you want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Today, I wanted to talk about work stuff. I guess I don't know. I'm just like worried about if I'm gonna be able to get a job.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, what's in?
Speaker 1: What?
Speaker 2: In what field?
Speaker 1: It's pretty fucking cooked? Computer science?
Speaker 2: Oh ship, Yeah, it's super cood. It's super cooked. It's super cooked. Wait a minute, I'm looking at the text that you've sent me, and it said you sent me a text. You sent me a text four months ago and you said, gek, I'm currently being fought over professionally, and I'm unsure how to go about things. Wait, so how did you go from being fought over to not being able to find a job.
Speaker 1: Well, okay, so right now, I'm I'm self employed as as a DJ, and I work for a couple of companies and I do my own stuff as well, and I'm also going to school for computer science.
Speaker 2: Okay, so how were you being fought over? As the DJ?
Speaker 1: So I work. I work for one company mainly, they're one of the bigger companies in the city I live in, and they contract me for stuff and it's more of like it's not really a day. It's a guy I work for it's like it's his company, right, Like we built a relationship and one of the other bigger companies in the city that does DJ stuff, they reached out to me to try to get me to do some work for them, and like I wasn't gonna switch over completely doing stuff for them, but it's like, you know, I got to keep my lights on kind of thing. More work the merrier m hm.
Speaker 3: And uh.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The guys from the from the from the second company that reached out to me, they had me like they like sent some message to a group chat I was in, saying some shit like it like if it's like more of like a message out to all the DJs that were in this chat, and they were like, if you want to continue to work with us, you got to come to this photoshoot that we're doing, have like headshots taken. And I'm like, okay, cool, I mean like whatever, So I go to this photo shoot and mind you, at this point, I hadn't even done any work for them at this point, like I was already fully booked because it was like they got me into this group chat during like peak wedding season, which is during the summer.
Speaker 2: M hm.
Speaker 1: So I go to this photo shoot and I get like a photo taken with with their staff and stuff, and they posted on their story. And then the guy I've been working with from company a uh he like calls me the next morning. He's like, hey, man, are we are we cool? Like do you need more money? Like are you like unhappy with your pay? And I'm like no, no, no, no, no no no. So I don't know they had a They talk to each other because like they're friendly, you know, like they work in the same industry, so they know each other, and I guess they chatted it out. I don't know. It's I don't know. I don't want to like two man, but like I feel like I've been a little bit of a hot shot over the past couple of years in the scene, and it's like there's a lot of people just kind of gunning for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so so then why can't you Why are you unable to do that for a living?
Speaker 1: Well, I am doing it as for a living right now.
Speaker 2: Oh so why are you looking for a job.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm not like currently looking for a job. I'm more of just worried, like when I graduate, if I'm going to be lead a job at computer science?
Speaker 2: Are you graduat? Where are you so in college?
Speaker 1: University? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, wait university? Where are you Canadian?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: I am okay. Well, uh, why don't you just keep doing the DJ thing? Why don't you focus on that instead of worry about whether or not you'll get a I mean, you already had. Why Why do you Why Why are you worried about whether or not you'll be able to make money doing something else when you're already making money doing something that you're doing right now, when he's focus on what you're doing right now.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't know. It's more of just like long term security. I guess there's.
Speaker 2: No such thing as long security. There's no such thing as long term security. Everyone who worked for fucking like Google and like all these big big tech companies that are like replacing their people with AI, like they all thought they had jobs security. Job security is not real life. Security is not really you could get you could die tomorrow. There's not like security is not a real thing. It's an illusion of like trying to grasp onto a ever evasive life that counts down its days. I'm getting existential on you here. But it's like there's there's not really. I mean people get people thought so many people thought they had job security and then they just got like canned. You know, you're you're at the I mean companies right, Like it's like saying that, uh, I mean, the world has no security. We just went to fucking war and then that tank the stock market and then companies are like, fuck the stocks are gone, we gotta make cuts, you know what I mean, Like there's no there's no anything. The world does not exist. Sorry, I don't this rant has gone on too far, but.
Speaker 1: You know what I mean, right, Yeah, I know what you mean. I know what you mean. I don't know, like I still like want to do computer science stuff. Like I grew up kind of being like techy and stuff, and I always found like a lot of interest in it.
Speaker 2: I mean, I like all the shit that they have right now is like you're like propt engineers, whatever the fuck that means.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think. I don't know if that just sounds like a sham. Yeah, I don't think like real software engineers are like going to be going anywhere. It's just the way I look at it is. Over time and history, there's been lots of shifts in technology I mean, I always give the agriculture example. You know, during the Industrial Revolution, you know, they came out with the butt like before people mostly most people lived on farms and they worked for farms and homesteads and stuff. And when new farming technologies came out. If you if you owned a farm and ran a farm and you didn't kind of adapt to the new technologies, you were kind of well, you were out. Most people moved to cities because new job opportunities were there. And that's the way mek at it.
Speaker 2: It's let me ask you this, Why are you popping off so much as a DJ?
Speaker 1: I don't. I don't know. I mean, I've just been fucking I practice practice a lot, and I love music.
Speaker 2: Okay, And so people are connecting with your music.
Speaker 1: I guess so, and I don't. I don't really make music.
Speaker 3: I just play it.
Speaker 2: You don't make music, you just play it.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm not like a producer, okay.
Speaker 2: So you go up there and you hit play on a Spotify playlist.
Speaker 1: I'm okay, not a Spotify like I got. I have like thousands of tracks I have downloaded, and I'm curating a mix like lies. I'm picking what songs to play in the moment, taking requests if I tick requests.
Speaker 2: Okay, So you don't make music, you're like you're like a wedding DJ type of thing.
Speaker 1: I do weddings, I do corporate parties, I do bars club Oh okay, okay, right, like right now is not in a wedding season.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you got a good dude, you got a good You got a good business on your hands. Why don't you just keep going with that?
Speaker 3: Let' see?
Speaker 1: I mean it's going on, right, I mean, okay, long term plan because like really there's two paths to go in that. In that route, either there's there's the public sector and the private sector. As a way to look at it, public sector is like bars, clubs and festivals, Like that's like a huge ship, right, Like that's like your David Ghetta, is your skivaic or are Ski Bayoki or whatever? Right, And then there's the private sector, which is like private events, weddings, stuff like that. To make it in the public sector, and like festivals, you got it, you have to make music. That's the only way you get booked at festivals really is you make music or you blow up on like TikTok. The private sector. You know, you can work for companies, but to really make the big bucks in the private sector is you have to start your own company and then hire people under you just start like you get too busy, right, and then you start subcontracting. M hmm.
Speaker 2: Okay, And you sound like you know a lot about that. But you sound like you know a lot about this. You sound like you've been researching it, you've been thinking about it. Why don't you just go on that route?
Speaker 1: Well, I'm going down it like I was about to get to it, like long term plan. I'm gonna do that, right, I'm gonna get to the point where I'm too busy and I can subcontract and then my day job during the weekdays will be coding, you know, because I can't DJ every day in the week. It's it's a weekend gig.
Speaker 2: I don't most But how that that doesn't make any sense to me. If you're too busy, it means you have too much work in the DJ So why would you even why would you need to code?
Speaker 1: There's only so many days in the weekend. Okay, you know, there's only so many days in the weekend. You know. Let's just say, like I have for the month of June sixteen brides contact me. There's only eight weekend nights, you know, Fridays and Saturdays in June. You know, I can do half of those, but I can't do all of them. But if I subcontract the other half and I take a cut, I'm still making some money off of that, and the other guy is making some money off of it.
Speaker 2: Two that makes sense, you know, I don't know. Okay, I.
Speaker 1: Don't know. I mean right now, I'm I'm taking a break from school right now. Like this winter turm, I took off just because, like it was, I was working too much when I was flowing behind in my classes and stuff, and I feel like I just needed some time to figure out what I was doing. I was like half thinking of switching my minor and major rounds. I'm taking psychology as a minor, and I'm also going to switching that around and doing psychology as a major. But you know, as I had time to fucking just some time on myself and do some projects on my own time and kind of rekindle my love for computer science, It's like, Okay, this is what I wanted to do in the first was. You know, it's not really just a dollar amount the end of the day. It's more like this is this is the ship I really like.
Speaker 2: Doing the technology stuff. Well yeah mm hmmm, I like okay, So I don't I mean, I don't really know what the landscape of all this stuff looks like. Now. It looks like it's very like AI heavy, Like, is there still a way for you to for you to sneak in there amongst all of that?
Speaker 1: I'm gonna have to leverage AI. You know, it's I hate to say it, but if I don't, it's there won't be a job for me. And whether that means doing it in like working for a company sense or freelance sense, I'm totally open to both. I don't know. I mean, I've been doing this DJ stuff freelance for two or three years now, and like I'm not like I'm a stranger to it. It's like when announce business. Essentially, dude, how old are you, like twenty I turned twenty one in May.
Speaker 2: You're you're doing great, man, you know, don't don't listen. I don't freak out, you know, honestly, I don't think I don't think you need to be freaking out man, Like you'll be You'll be fine. You know how to do shit. That's let me tell you something. Let me tell you something. What's your name again?
Speaker 1: Looks okay? Liam?
Speaker 2: Liam? Listen? Liam, uh listen. There's there's here's the thing. There's a probably like the job market is tough, but I do believe that like people who just kind of like know how to do shit and like know how to like competently exist will inevitably figure out a way to like do well in this life. And you strike me as one of those people. So I'm not particularly worried about you.
Speaker 1: That's thank you get.
Speaker 2: Of course, I don't know. I mean, you're doing you're doing, You're doing, like dude, you're fucking twenty, you're running your own business. You're like I can tell like Liam, listen, man, some people are fucking stupid. Some people are just fucking just kind of fucking stupid. Well, that's the problem. That's the big things. Like society has a lot of problems, and there's a lot of difficulties to it, and and and some people have to deal with both that and being a little stupid. And I'm and and I'm actually i feel like I'm actually pretty good at determining whether or not I think someone is kind of stupid or whether I think they're smart competent human being. And you strike me as a smart competent human being. Again, I'm really not I'm really not worried about you. I think you canna be okay.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. There's there's pressure that comes with that. Like I growing up with my parents, my family, I was always kind of like seeen as that way. I mean like literally on my mom's side of the family, they like they dubbed me the fucking car salesman of the family because I was like selling shit when I was like little. I don't know, And it's like there's just a lot of like expectations behind like how well I do well?
Speaker 2: I mean, you're you're it's like you're setting these expectations for yourself, and it's like what do you wanna what do you want to? Like what do you what do you what expectations do you have for yourself? Like what do you want to accomplish? Right? Like you wanna do these businesses? You want to work in tech? Like you know, I don't really I don't really have advice for you. I just think that like you'll figure it out. I just from talking to you for fifteen minutes, you seem like a smart guy. I think you'll figure it out whether or not, like I mean, people are also finding ways to it. And also you're an optimistic guy, like some people you know kind of are like oh, like like were doomed and you know, all to say, I shit is gonna destroy society and it'll have its effects. Of course everything will. But you know, I don't know, just the fact that you're maintaining some semblance of optimism and you see them competent, like you know, don't take my word for it, like still do shit. I know you're gonna do it anyway, but you'll be fine.
Speaker 1: That's that's true, gick, That's true. Yeah, I don't know. I've just been taking like this this this past while with winters because like I'm taking this winter term off because I feel like I haven't really got like given myself a break at all. Like I like I went into university straight out of high school, and I was working like two jobs at the same time, like and then I just kind of got burnt out even during the summers, like I wouldn't give myself a break, I'd still be going to school summer school and working mm hmmuck. Like March of last year was like the busiest time I'd ever had. I was working two part time jobs djang like do my freelance stuff, going to school full time, and I had an internship. Like I literally don't know how I didn't like die.
Speaker 2: What's your name again? Liam?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Liam? Take it easy on yourself, man.
Speaker 1: I get told that a lot. You know, I've been I've been trying to think a little bit, a little bit more easy. I've been playing some more games. I just played a lot of games, and I've just been trying to get back into it.
Speaker 2: Mhm, where can we find your DJing stuff?
Speaker 1: It's I don't know if I should be saying this on the podcast. I mean, if if you want me to.
Speaker 2: I can. Yeah, if you want to, yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 1: It's uh Liam Roman, but the Roman is spelt like r O A M and so it's kind of like a play on words, like a lea.
Speaker 2: Okay, because you're roaming around. I like it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm a mobile DJ.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love it. I love it. Okay, Well I'm gonna look I'm gonna look at your Instagram. Right now, Rome, say it one more.
Speaker 1: Time, Liam Roman, So r O A m n it's all together.
Speaker 2: R O A m Oh there he is. Oh look at this guy. Look at this fucking guy. You'll be fine, dude, dude. Look at this black and white photo of you with the tattoo and ship.
Speaker 1: Bro.
Speaker 2: Look at this guy. Dude. You'll be fine. Man, don't worry about yourself. You'll be fucking fine. Thursday. Remember every every Thursday you play the Buckingham.
Speaker 1: That's true, every Thursday, and then it's Thursdays. It's Thursdays, not every Thursday. I played this Thursday, though.
Speaker 2: What's the difference between Thursdays and every Thursday? Well, Thursday. When you say I, When you say I play Thursdays, that I that means all Thursdays in the universe.
Speaker 1: Verse to me, When I say I played Thursdays, it means that I don't. I played other places on the weekends than when they have me play there. It's just on Thursdays usually.
Speaker 2: Okay, and then on Fridays and Saturdays you play these places.
Speaker 1: Yep, you've got a good Saturday.
Speaker 2: But do you get a good life?
Speaker 1: Man?
Speaker 2: Why are you meeting a lot of people you're having a good time.
Speaker 1: It's been fun. Things are picking up, which is pretty good recently. Like I've only been doing bars and clubs for like a year now.
Speaker 2: I can tell you're going to be successful because when people have success, successful people have this thing. I have this thing too, uh where it's like they're they're living really cool lives and they just hate them, you know, Like I have a friend, not that not that, not that they hate them, not that they hate them, but they're over them. Like I have a I have a friend. I have a friend who's like a successful comedian and like he opens for comedian and who do like like arenas and stuff, and like I'll give him a call. He'll like do an arena or something, and like I'll call him, like how did the set go? And he'd be like as fine as whatever. You know, I think I kind of sucked. I'm like, you're fucking doing a fucking cool thing.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't know, enjoy your life. I mean, enjoy your life, but keep keep doing it. Look at this guy every thursdays. Look you got a guy eating a burger on here. DJ Roman All right, I got it. Next time I'm in Edmonton. I'll come through.
Speaker 1: Yeah, actually you were in Edmonton recently.
Speaker 2: Did you see the show?
Speaker 4: You were?
Speaker 2: You were at the show A fuck with you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 2: We did.
Speaker 1: When I picked a photo with you, I don't know. Can I text this photo to you? Man?
Speaker 2: It was Yeah.
Speaker 1: Text was such a wick that call for me. Wow, uh what's this? What's this number on? I can text it? Just give me one second, heir?
Speaker 2: Why was it a wake up call for you?
Speaker 1: For my hair? For my fucking hairline? It was such a wake up call because like, looking at these photos now going back, it's like, oh my god, my fucking hair in the front looks so thin that if you're like looking at the photo, it looks like I don't even have hair on the front. And that's like that's scary as a twenty year old that like I'm losing my hairline. Like my at this age, my dad was like full little peaked bald.
Speaker 3: Bro.
Speaker 2: Here's the thing. When you're like a bald. By the way I'm looking at your Instagram, you're you're kind of you're a little ripped, dude.
Speaker 1: I might look a little ripped, but like, okay, it's like a year.
Speaker 2: Ago, Liam get Liam Get the fuck over yourself. You're a little ripped, you're a handsome guy, You're a successful DJ, and enjoy who you and joy. Can you do me a favor?
Speaker 1: Liam?
Speaker 2: Can you do me a favor for one day? For one day? Can you just enjoy being Liam Roman? Can you just enjoy being Liam Roman for one day? Can you do that for me? Can you enjoy being a young ripped DJ guy for one day? Just one day? One day? One day? Just okay, this this coming Thursday at the buck on White, this coming Thursday, can you just while you're doing your set, just be like, I'm a young, hot, ripped DJ guy living my best life. I'm making money. This is cool. Can you just enjoy just one day? Do it for one day and then go back to, you know, being an anxious mess. But just I'll do the same thing. I'll enjoy I'll try to enjoy my life for one day, and then I'll go back to being an anxious mess. Just well, let's each take a Thursday to just enjoy our life and then we can return to the regularly scheduled anxiety afterwards. Okay, Liam, is there anything else you want to say to the people the computer before we go.
Speaker 1: In a pleasure. Gek. If you're ever in Edmonton, let me know. I will treat you well.
Speaker 2: Thank you man.
Speaker 1: The last time you were here, I remember you talking about you were talking about how you fucking you didn't know what to do here besides the mall, which is partly true. There's all the stuff to do. We gotta look.
Speaker 2: Well, we had a good time in Edmonton. We went to the we got some poutine, we went to the mall. It was a good time. Yeah, beautiful, have a good rest of your life. Liam, I'll talk. I'll see you around the universe.
Speaker 1: All right, see you Gek later.
Speaker 2: Liam. Hey, folks, what's up. It's Lyle and I am here because I am going to end today's little episode with a segment that many of you know that I know for sure. It's called gek mail. It's called a gek mail. It's a segment where I read a piece of mail. Maybe i'll even read two. I don't know. I can't promise anything. I know for sure i'll read one. But uh, I'm gonna read some mail that people have emailed me. Listeners of the podcast, people have emailed me, mail mailed me, mail to therapy geckomail at gmail dot com, and I'm gonna read some of this email and I'm gonna ponder on it. So let's read this. I've one pulled up. This subject line is Dear Ghek Daddy. I am an archaeologist. It's from a gentleman named Billy Uh. Hello Gek Daddy. I'm writing for many reasons and none at all. At the same time, I have trouble deciding what to even talk to you about, seeing as your infinite green scaly wisdom would be invaluable for a myriad of subjects. I wanted to talk about my first job. I am in my early twenties and I've been working professionally as an archaeologist for four years now. People always ask me if I look for dinosaurs or treasure, and that is simply not what I do. I knew people did not fully understand this job when I began, but I think the world deserves to know and care that this field about what this field actually does. I should state outright that I really do love my job. I have amazing bosses and co workers. I get to go to weird places and meet weird people, and every day is different from the last. Despite this, it can be quite emotionally taxing. Archaeologists deal exclusively with humans, not dinosaurs or treasure. My job is to survey and record places where people have been doing random peoply things throughout history. While this can be very cool, it is also a bit sad. My job usually involves trying to record sites that are going to be destroyed or at least heavily disturbed by modern development. It can be really difficult working on a five thousand year old site that you know is going to be covered in a parking lot some rich assholes forth home. So many people see us as hassles and the assholes who hold up developments of areas. And while our presence does slow things down, we don't do it for fun or to get rich parentheses. This job does not pay very well. We are only there to try and preserve what we can and make sure irreplaceable pieces of past people's lives aren't lost forever. Furthermore, because I am in North America, this is often a painful continuation of the erasure of indigenous history and culture. I am not a tribal member and do not have any Indigenous North American heritage, but I feel like I have some responsibility to attempt to slow the destruction of the heritage of an already marginalized people. I love my job, but it can be very emotionally draining. I am also so grateful to have the opportunity to interact so intimately with the lives of people who lived so long ago. And I will not lie that finding something in the field that was last held hundreds or thousands of years ago is an incredibly special feeling, but it is always tinted with sadness. I want to do what I can to help preserve the past. Thank you for taking the time to read this. Mister Ghek. We can call on the telephone sometime and I can tell you about the time I saw an eclipse high on mushrooms on top of a lighthouse and had to run from the coastguard and a canoe. Stay positive test negative, Billy, Well, that was actually a very beautiful email. Yeah, that was really nice. Uh that must be that would give me a big existential crisis. I feel like thinking about, like, you know, seeing like people's bones from five thousand years ago. You know, Actually it's funny because I always assume like archaeologists and like history folks on likes like space stuff, where it's like is that government funded or are there are these like private rich folks who like pay for the preservation of the sites, and it's like, uh, rich folks who want to preserve the bones versus rich folks who want them to be be destroyed so they can make parking lots. I'm very curious about that. I might have to give you a call sometime. Billy. Thank you for sharing and thank you, thank you for your work as a great archaeologist of the universe. Okay, we'll do one more. This is from Matthew. Subject line, I think you're a scaly and not a furry. Hi Gek. I'm currently watching my girlfriend shave her legs in the sink of a Motel six and it made me think of you. That's a great way to start the email. You've said explicitly before that you're not a furry or a part of the furry fandom, but that putting on a gecko costume and panting your face technically could be considered a furry, But I disagree. I think you are a scaly which focuses mainly on anthropomorphic reptiles, amphibians, and dragons instead of mammals. Just some food for thought. Love the pod gek bless Matthew. You are correct. I have heard of this phrase before. Scalies they're furries who dress up in uh uh, who dress up as reptiles. I just googled scalely and I'm now looking at a picture of a hot ripped chad lizard guy. Yeah, I guess I would be a scally. Maybe I'll go to one of the I do want to do a gek. I would love to do being a gecko at a furry convention. That is uh that is high on my list. That you will see that video at some point in the future. And maybe I'll learn more about scalies and I'll I'll become one of them, and maybe, uh maybe, maybe me and some other lizard people can have a great gecko orgy or something like that. Whatever it is they do there, whatever it is they do there, folks, this has been therapy. Gecko. I'm I'm Lyle. I'm a gecko. Please please just exist, just exist, to be yourself. I'm going on tour. I kicked off my tour the other night here in Tokyo with a sold out show. It was really fun. It was a great time. I worked all my new material, We did some great audience interactions. It was a fun time.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: I I'm really happy about the stories and stuff I have for this next tour. I think you guys are gonna like it. So please go to Therapy Gecko Tour dot com and get tickets for that right now. I would love to see you guys all there. Get bless catch you guys on the next episode, and and thank you all very much for listening. I have a good one. Bye bye.
Speaker 3: Red goes on the line taking your phone calls every night.
Speaker 2: Never be Can goes to his hide. He's teaching you a loud in your life, but he's not really an expert.