Speaker 1: Welcome in to Bears Weekly, powered by IGS Energy, a Chicago Bears Network production. Bears Weekly is brought to you by Advocate Healthcare, Athletico Physical Therapy, CD Collady Connie's Pizza, IGS Energy, and Meta Liked. Here are your hosts, Jeff Chilliac aka the Mayor of Bearsville and his sidekick Tom the Surfmaster Thayer.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: In twenty twenty four, the NFC North had the best combined winning percentage of the NFL Since two thousand and two, have produced three playoff teams. Changes across the border made the Bears a team to watch, a team on the rise. With first year head coach Ben Johnson, knowledge is power and Johnson has the knowledge of just what this division poses for the Bears.
Speaker 4: In twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Five, we're back with you on Bears Weekly, talking Bears football.
Speaker 4: Happy Summer, everybody. This is a special.
Speaker 3: Edition of Bears Weekly on ESPN one thousand and the Chicago Bears Radio Network with Super Bowl winning Bears guard Tom Fair. We're former Bears quarterback Jim Miller from Sirius XM NFL Radio. I'm Jeff Joniak. Coming up in the program, we break down the entire division with the men who know the team's better than anybody. Minnesota Vikings radio analyst Pete Bursts, the voice of the Packers, Wayne Larvy, and former Lions great in the current radio analyst of the Lions, Lomas Brown, Dan Barrilli, Jordan Treadup, Katie Fox, our producers, the executive producer of the Bears Radio network, Eric Ostrowski, and in studio tonight, Justin Pottinger. It should be a fun show, boys, Tommy, A fun season ahead in the NFC North. Can't wait to hear how we break it down?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you hear a lot of positive things about this division for now a couple of years in a row. But there's a lot of things that have gone on the offseason that have really complicated this division with coaching changes, personnel movements, and new guys coming aboard that there's uncertainty about even though they were a first round picked. So it's going to be an exciting year inside this division. But you can't ignore the rest of the schedule. But when you just look at inside the division, it is going to be a fun year to watch.
Speaker 5: Last year, obviously, a lot of points were scored offensively, I believe it was the highest point differential of any division in the NFL.
Speaker 6: But you know, you come.
Speaker 5: Into this year, you've got the knowns. You know that Detroit the rosters kind of set. Other than Frank greg Now retiring. That was a surprise. Green Bay they were a top five team, but their roster is set. Minnesota, they're defensively, they're known. Offensively, what will they look like with JJ McCarthy, And to me, the Bears are the wild card. They're kind of the unknown right now and what Ben Johnson is going to un veil, So it should be a pretty exciting year.
Speaker 3: Stronger in the trenches. We can say this about our own team. We give our own sneak peak preview here. Stronger in the trenches, Boats out of the ball, a veteran defense with some new additions and some emerging talents. And offensively, Tommy just with the lone addition of Ben Johnson as the play caller, play design his staff that he's put together, I say the Bears are already better before they even take the field offensively because of that.
Speaker 7: Man.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree. It's all going to be how it affects the play and the process of improvement. By Caleb Williams, because we all know that if you have a head coach quarterback relationship that develops into some of the better relationships we've seen throughout the course of time in the NFL, you can probably turn that position around as quickly as any position in the NFL, especially when you're talking about the exterior assets that this team already has in place. But when you look at the quarterback position as a whole inside this division, who's the leader at the starting gate? Is it Green Bay because Jordan Love has been there a little bit with the same system. Is it the experience of Jared Goff. Is it a guy like Caleb Williams that has all those weapons I've talked about. Or is it JJ McCarthy because he's been sitting there not having to play, but he's lived through meetings. So let's go to our resident quarterback and the kind of get an answer to that.
Speaker 6: Jimiell.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I do think to me, I would give the tip of the cap to Green Bay. They were top five offensively, and they were top five defensively, and pretty much everybody is returning, and really their only question mark has been about Christian Watson on offense. The receiver and why they went out and drafted Matthew Golden. They actually drafted a couple of receivers to really fill that hole and fill that void. So I do think Green Bay probably is probably the most talented team right now. Detroit has the experience that you just mentioned, but that whole staff, meaning the coaches, got annihilated. That's something to watch. And really for Minnesota, I think they've got a great roster, but it is the uncertainty about their young quarterback. And for Caleb, he's somewhat in a similar situation is JJ McCarthy. JJ has been in the same system for two years now. Caleb is learning the new system, but he has the experience of one year under his belt. I think the Bears have done a great job insulating him with a lot of experience around him. And that's where what Tom alluded to that head coach Ben Johnson and Caleb Williams, their communication is going to be imperative because I think Ben has been there's kind of no wiggle room. You're going to do and execute things my way and what I have called. And I think it's really up to Caleb and how he improves his play.
Speaker 3: I also feel the depth on the team is better. I feel special teams will be significant. There have been very little disruption there and they have a rising bunch of young players that are core players that are still trying to find their way in terms of positional value and in terms of depth. So I think the kicking game is slid. Tory Taylor's going to have a better year as a second year punter, and then the division wide.
Speaker 4: I keep bringing this up.
Speaker 3: I finally did the actual math. How many additions on the three deep depth chart as it stands right now before training camp. Twenty seven trench players added in the division. Four new centers that are starting, two second round picks of tackle backup at left tackle, and Justin's school I think I used to pronounce his name in Minnesota. Five new starting guards in the division, three backup guards drafted on the defensive side of the ball, five new defensive tackles, seven defensive ends. That up to twenty seven trench players. That tells me, boys, it's time to ball up the fists, stop the run, pound the run, and get physical in all three phases. We're gonna start breaking it all down with the pride of Providence. New Lenox High School in the University of underdam the Vikings radio analyst Pete bursts next don ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Joniak on the Bears Radio Network. FISTS is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years, Chef jonyac Chefony on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly has brought to you by IGS Nergy along with Tom Thayer and Jim Miller. Jeff Jioniak and now we begin our preview of the NFC North. We tick it off with our Hinsdale Buddy Providence, New Lennox Star Notre Dame Minnesota, former Vikings coach and an analyst on the radio broadcast I believe since two thousand and seven, the one and only Pete Bursich give us a quick overview of just the highlights of what has been an interesting offseason for the Minnesota Vikings. Very active in the trenches, and of course we want to know about JJ.
Speaker 7: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Absolutely, it seems the whole division has gone about revamping offensive line. That's the the you know, the interior offensive line, defensive line, is becoming very important, and we're all about JJ now. I mean, we had a year with Sam Donald that I don't know if anybody, we all knew, A lot of us thought he'd play well, but I don't think anybody expected him to play as well as he did. But now you make the transition to JJ McCarthy, and that's how our that's how our season is gonna go. So don't expect the fourteen wins that we had last year or the thirteen from a couple of years before. It's gonna be I think a little bit more up and down with the young guy at the helm. But hopefully our defense can continue. We were top one of the top scoring defenses last year. That's going to absolutely have to continue. We're gonna have to run the ball better. All those things I think help out a young quarterback.
Speaker 2: All right, let's talk about the real JJ in the room, and that's not Jeff Joniack.
Speaker 7: It's Justin Jefferson.
Speaker 2: When you talk about Justin Jefferson and what he's been able to do in the early part of his career, but now breaking into a new quarterback, what do you see that the evolution of that relationship is it going to be a training camp relationship or has that already started months ago?
Speaker 7: I think that's it's already started.
Speaker 8: Into JJ's credit, Justin Jefferson's credit, he came out for all of all the developmental camps this offseason, things that he doesn't have to be present for OTAs everything they've they're they're spending as much time together as they possibly can to try to get to where they want to go. I think JJ, since he was extended and got the big contract, is really kind of has really stepped up from a leadership standpoint. And you know what leaders do, They lead, They lead by example, and I think JJ is is Justin Jefferson that is has really done that there'll be enough work in training camp, is that they is as much as they can get to get ready for, you.
Speaker 7: Know, for the opening day.
Speaker 6: Jim Miller good to see again.
Speaker 7: And you know jum me ask.
Speaker 5: I know they beefed up the offensive line with Kelly and they pay Fries a really good amount of money at guard, but just how the offense is going to be structured and how that relates to Justin Jefferson, Jordan Edison, because you know, even last year with Darnold it doesn't. It did not look like coach O'Connell was was scared to throw.
Speaker 7: It all over the lot, you know.
Speaker 5: And I don't know if you can trust JJ to do that, and he never really did that at Michigan. You know how Jim Harbaugh structured the offense. So how is it all going to work?
Speaker 7: In your mind? Well, it is, it is what it is. That is our offense.
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 8: We bring in Jordan Mason to help with Aaron Jones to maybe take to take some snaps off of him. Regardless of how well we run the football, we are going to be a throwing team, right. That's That's what Kevin O'Connell is, That's what our offense is, and that's what McCarthy is tasked with doing. So I don't see that. I don't see that changing at all. And again that's kind of why I believe early in the season it's going to be a bit of a wait and see. This is a team that's going to need to be playing much better in November and December. So US playing right out of the gate opening day, I think is the best time to be playing against the JJ McCarthy, get him, get him early. You have a new offensive coordinator, defensive coordinator. The whole thing is going to be different. So it's going to be a tough environ for him to open up in Chicago in front of family and everything else. This offense is what it is, and that's a vertical passing game. You know, Donald was sacked forty nine times. I'm sorry, I hope I think it was fifty times last year. I think that started to show, especially the end of the season on the road in Detroit in the game where all the marbles were on the table. So hopefully guys like Kelly and Fries and maybe Donovan Jackson at left guard, we'll see how that left guard position falls out. But pass protection is going to be is going to be so important. JJ is going to be is a little bit more mobile than Donald was, but you're right, he's not used to throwing the football forty sometimes a game, and I don't personally, I don't think that's a key to success with a young quarterback is to get him out there throwing the ball forty fifty times a football game. So hopefully the running game will make up for that. But trust me, if that run pass ratio is fifty to fifty. Coach O'Connell's going to want to uh.
Speaker 7: Week in and week out.
Speaker 8: He's gonna have to resist the urge to throw the football because that's what he does.
Speaker 3: Vikings radio analyst Pete Burst it's our guest here on ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio network. So you got two weeks in Europe. The only other team to do that back to backup course has been Jacksonville, London and Dublin. What do you think the impact could be on this team. It's something that Jacksonville gets used to. This has not been done.
Speaker 8: Before, No, it hasn't. It's playing the Steelers on a neutral site I think is an advantage period, right, and then having to and then play in Cleveland as the visitor as the visiting team as well is also an advantage. Hopefully for the team will be out Watford or in the middle of nowhere somewhere, Hopefully that I'll give the team some time to bond and spend some real time together, kind of away from everything. That's what you're kind of that's I think that's what you're hoping for. But when you look at our schedule, those two games are going to be very, very important though, non division Roague games AFC, those are going to be the difference makers and standings this year because this is going to be a tough to cut, a tough division. I don't see a team run away with it this year. It's going to come down in the wire, but wins early, especially with the middle of our schedule and how difficult it gets with with Baltimore and with Philadelphia and some of these other games that we're going to have, they're going to be extremely important.
Speaker 2: Hey, you guys signed a lot of guys off front of the defense. If you have a really successful defensive season, how long before Brian Flores starts getting mentioned as the next Inner Division head coaching candidate.
Speaker 8: Yeah, especially if things go south in Green Bay, right, Yeah, Brian Flores does more with less than than any than any coordinator I've seen, especially with the Vikings.
Speaker 7: He I think that's kind of his calling or what he does.
Speaker 8: I mean, he saves this organization, this franchise a lot of money. We had not spend much on defense at all. Taking guys like Andrew Van Ginkel, who is a very very good football player, but put him in a system where he's almost all Pro caliber and which warranted him a contract extension. Guys like Josh Mattelish six round draft pick. Right, he's he's out there producing. So he does a very good job of putting guys in positions to succeed.
Speaker 7: The defense is unique.
Speaker 8: It's it requires an an extensive amount of versatility, meaning corners will play safeties and Nichols will play, will play linebacker, and they'll blitz, they'll do they're they're called upon to do a lot of different things, and that's his system. He's very he's good, he's attention to detail, he's tough. He gets the most out of players, which which tom as you know, is not the easiest thing to do in this in this day and age.
Speaker 7: But the addition of of.
Speaker 8: Jonathan Allen and Javon uh you know, Hargrave is is huge. Hardgrave I'm especially excited about because he was i think on a Pro Bowl caliber type season in San Francisco before he injured himself. So between the two of them, you know, we're you know, we're we're replacing Jerry Tillery, who was a journeyman at best. And you know, so either either way, if both of them are on the field or one of one of the twos on the field. For most of the time, it's going to be improvement to our defensive front.
Speaker 5: What currently probably would have the hardest position battles coming in.
Speaker 8: The cornerback position has has kind of I think the the you know, the most amount of competition because you resigned Byron Murphy, pay him a lot of money. You're counting on. You're counting on guys like Isaiah Rodgers, who has played played well, but hasn't put together an entire season, right he hasn't been a game to game starter. And if he's going to be our number two cornerback, right then you're like, okay, well, who's behind him? Well, ma Kai black backman who had a good rookie campaign. I wouldn't call it great, but a good rookie campaign. And you know, then you have Theo Jackson, Makai Blackman, Jeff Okuda, who's you know, he's he's kind of trying to resurrect his career. So not a lot of depth in that defensive back room. A lot of guys, a couple of guys that we're going to have to really count on and being you know that are unproven. So I think Isaiah guys like Rogers and black Men. Their development is absolutely key to the success of this team. And that's that's the room where there may be something that comes up, or there might be another body add it at some point during camp. But everywhere else, I think they're pretty well set.
Speaker 2: All right, big gott to let you go.
Speaker 3: We'll see you at Soldier Field September eighth, Monday Night football. It's going to that's going to be fabulous, fabulous night.
Speaker 8: I'll be I'll be in your I'll be in your booth stealing all the shrimp and caviar and t bone steaks that you got.
Speaker 7: They take care of you up there.
Speaker 4: I love it well, we love it too. We love you too. People will let you go.
Speaker 3: Coming up next, we are joined by the voice of the Green Bay Packers, Wayne Laravie. This is ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were tuned into Bears Weekly with Jeff Joniak on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 2: Well, welcome back to Bears Week on.
Speaker 6: The Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff.
Speaker 6: Joey At.
Speaker 3: Welcome back to ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network with Jeff and Tom and Jim Miller. Wayne Laravie, the voice of the Green Bay Packers, joins us, Do I have this right? Seven years with the Chiefs, fourteen years with the Bears, and this is your twenty seventh season with the Green Bay Packers. If my Matt's right, that's forty eight years.
Speaker 6: Wow.
Speaker 9: Unfortunately that's right, which makes me old. So no, what can I say?
Speaker 3: That's a fantastic run, true legendary status. Let's dig in youngest team in the league last couple of years. What's the fifty thousand foot overview of the Green Bay Packers as you get ready for training camp?
Speaker 9: Well, you know when Aaron Rodgers, when they decided to part ways with Aaron Rodgers and that era ended. I honestly believe there was a three year process put together to kind of rebuild the roster, to move the club forward into a different era with Jordan Love at the controls. Now you know that process is going into year three. They've got a lot of good football players on this team. They have excellent depth, among the best in the NFL. But the question now becomes, how many of these young players over these past couple of years, the youngest team of the league. It's time for them now to step up to the next level. And that's the big question because the improvement for this team is going to have to come from within.
Speaker 2: Hey, Wayne, when you talk about it, you know they already had a pieces in place. When you talk about Jordan Love taking over for Aaron Rodgers, do they have a piece in place to take over for Jaire Alexander.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 9: No, that's a good question, Tom. You know, Keyshawn Nixon will probably step into the number one role, but they don't have a cornerback of the ILK that will be, you know, assigned to your best receiver and travel with him across the formation.
Speaker 6: I don't think they're going to do that.
Speaker 9: I think they'll play more straight up in man coverage.
Speaker 6: You know, want to play the right side, I want to.
Speaker 9: Play the left side, the other slot defender in there, and Jeff Halfley uses more zone than I thought he did in the past. It certainly was the case last year. So I think they feel pretty good about their top three cornerbacks. Jai Year could have you know, he was still their best cover corner, but they just couldn't count on him to show up for each game.
Speaker 5: Wayne Good to see one. I was shocked when I looked at the numbers. I mean this you mentioned a young, talented team, but they were top five offensively and they were top five defensively. And that's what Jeff Halfley his first year is a defensive coordinator. Last year, I guess expectations for this defense because I thought it was shocking when they moved on from Jill Barry. They really struggled to stop the run. But here this defense was terrific a season ago.
Speaker 9: Yeah, and you know, the question now becomes the loss of TJ.
Speaker 6: Slayton.
Speaker 9: He was their best run defender in the middle of that defensive line. He played very well over the last three years, and they let him go in free agency. You know, it'll be interesting to see how good they are against the run this year because Jim I thought that's what started it for this defense. They became more physical and they were better against the run, and that's something you couldn't say about Green Bay defenses dating all the way back to maybe twenty ten. So it'll be interesting to see how the run defense comes to four and then the pass rush. You know, Halfley did a great job of manufacturing pressure, but they know that they can't afford to manufacture as much because of the fact that they are a little light at the corner position. They don't have a lockdown corner back there, so they're going to have to be careful with what they do in generating pressure. They need to get more pressure from their four man rush. That wasn't the case a year ago.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit athletical dot com to request an in clinic or virtual appointment and start feeling better tomorrow. Wayne lear Revy our guest here on a ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network, Jeff tom and Jim Miller breaking down the NFC North. I always felt that the receiving core you had really did a great job as young players. I know some injury issues and some drops last year, but they really doubled down on the draft and added pieces that can have an instant impact. What's your take on Samby on Williams, Matthew Golden, the Speedster.
Speaker 4: Are they ready to make an immediate impact?
Speaker 9: Well, Golden would be the guy who probably would be more in the regular rotation of receivers right now. He looked good in many camps and the Ota s he for a rookie fit in pretty well. But you know, rookie wide receivers outside of a few struggle to make major contributions. They feel like Golden can. That was interesting, Jeff that you mentioned because I felt the same way watching the draft that they doubled down on receivers when they had a stable of receivers. But you know, Romeo Dobbs is going into the last year of his deal, and the same thing when you go with Christian Watson, who will be on the injured reserve list for a while until he gets back from that injury yet late last year, but that'll be in the second half the season more than likely. So they understand where they're at in that regard. They needed the speed of Golden and they saw in Savigon Williams a guy who can maybe become a Swiss Army knife in this offense.
Speaker 2: You know, you guys have always had a solid center over however many years now you're Jenkins is moving into the center position. Is that something that's going to be a natural fit or is that going to be something that reps are needed throughout the course of full padded practices.
Speaker 6: Well, Tom, you know the interesting thing.
Speaker 9: When they drafted Elton Jenkins, they said, we think his best position is center, but we're going to have to play him at guard, and that's what they did, and he became a Pro Bowl guard a couple of years. Now they move him to center because they bring in Aaron Banks and what they're doing with this team, and it started obviously when they acquired Josh Jacobs. This is becoming more of a physical offensive football team under Aaron Rodgers, under Brett Farv even they threw the ball around, they were more of a finesse offense. They are more physical upfront of they were last year, and they're becoming more so this year with the structure of the offensive line. So it'll be interesting to see how it pans out. But I think this team, and I go back to the defense as well, they became much more physical a year ago. Especially you have the cornerback position. They're not the best cover corners in the league, but what they'll do Keyshawn Nixon and Carrington Valentine. You're running backs running downhill around the end, these guys will come up and make a hit on them, and that gives you that kind of toughness, that's what they're looking for. They're trying to become a team more like San Francisco has been over the last couple of years.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 5: I really give a lot of credit to your head coach, Coach Laflour, because he's brought along a lot of those young skill position players, receivers in the young quarterback Jordan Love at the same time. And typically you put veterans, you know, like a veteran quarterback with young receivers or vice versa. And he's brought all those guys along together. And I'd just like to know where Jordan Love is at because at times he's a little too loosey goosey with the football for me. But but boy, he is ultra talented from where when he was drafted and how green of a player he was and what he has matured into and really the Lafloor impact on all those young players.
Speaker 9: Yeah, you know, I tell you what, Jim first on Jordan Love this spring. He looks a lot better than he did a year ago at this time in my opinion, just in the command he has out there, his fundamentals, He's tightened those up. He had to do that. It was part of the problem last year. He had injuries last year, and then the Packers were among the league leaders in the dubious category of dropped passes. You know, and that's an analytic, Isn't it interesting?
Speaker 6: How?
Speaker 9: I don't care where you look at what analytic on drop passes you look, All of them are different. Some say, well, they drop twenty eight balls, Others say forty one, some say thirty eight.
Speaker 6: I mean, how many.
Speaker 9: It's a subjective statistic, but the Packers in any of those categories almost led the league in draw passes, and that's something they've got to do a better job. The receivers have to do a better job of catching the ball. That also being said the quarterback. It's not just completing passes. That's not just the deal in the NFL. Where do you complete the pass to your receiver? You give him a chance to make a play, You throw it away from where the contact is coming. Do you give this receip do you lead him the right way on those big bombs down the field? I think Jordan Love is going to be a lot more active, a lot more accurate in those areas this year, at least, that's what we've seen so far this spring time will tell final moments.
Speaker 3: And Wayne Lerevine, the veteran voice of the Green Bay Packers. Wayne, we always say we hear coaches and scouts say, if your corners like to tackle and hit and your receivers will block, that's the definition of a tough football team outside of the obvious in the trenches. I believe in this division and you tell me what you got. You mentioned the corners. All four teams are going to take that policy into this year, especially from Ben Johnson's perspective. No block, no rock, that's his big theme.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 3: Is this going to be a true black and blue division the old way the NFC Central used to be the NFC North. Is this your take on what this division is going to be?
Speaker 9: I think these teams are more talented than those legendary teams you talk about. By that, I mean throughout the division. I mean one to four. These are all good teams. Okay, in the past you couldn't say that. I mean, maybe there were two teams battling it out, the Vikings and the Bay in the eighties, and and the Packers and the Bears, and also the Vikings in the nineties. And two thousands. But this division, these teams are all good. Detroit's the best they have if you look at just do blue chip players you know, and that's again subjective, but they probably have I don't know, six to seven blue chip players on that roster. Minnesota probably has four or five. The Bears and Packers have, however, many maybe four, three to four on their rosters. And the thing about Green Bay, Jeff and I really think this is important, is how many of their young players, second and third year players can take that next step and a couple of them become blue chip players, because, as we know, the blue chip players how you win championships. You can win a lot of games with a deep roster and good players, but you need blue chip players to carry you past the finish line.
Speaker 3: All right, Wayne, thank you so much. Enjoy the balance of your summer. We will see you soon, Buddy.
Speaker 6: Great being with you, guys. We'll see I'll try.
Speaker 4: And thanks Wayne.
Speaker 3: Coming up next Lomas Brown, the outstanding former tackle of the Detroit Lions. The radio analysts coming up body ESPN one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 1: You were listening to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network Welcome back to Bears Weekly on the Bears Radio Network. Here's your host, the Voice of the Bears, Jeff Joey Say.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly is brought to you by IGS Energy. As we begin our NFC North A Division preview for twenty twenty five before the even training camp snaps take place, we wrap things up with Lomas Brown, our good friend from the Detroit Lions, legendary figure there as a player and a longtime radio analyst.
Speaker 4: Thomas, how you feeling, man, You're doing well.
Speaker 6: I'm killing great, chilling good.
Speaker 4: How are you guys doing great?
Speaker 3: Like you know we said before we get on here, you said, Hey, excitements building up here in Chicago. But that's been the case for the last couple of years for the Detroit Lions. And we just got done talking to Pete Bursich of the Vikings Networking. Of course Wayne Larvy from Green Bay, and they still put a lot of money on the Detroit Lions right now despite all the change. How do you feel about where things are headed into Troit here for twenty twenty five?
Speaker 10: Yeah, you know we are. I can say we are feeling good around here. I mean again, you look at this ranking, the ranking that just came out, and we got eight players in the top you know, sixty players in the NFL young guys. So the nucleus is here. We got our foundation set. Of course, a big, big chip fill out that foundation when we're talking about Frank Ragan now retire. But for the most part, I think Dan brand Holmes, I think they are all on the same wavelength when they talk about players, the type of players that they want to bring on this Detroit team, the type of players they want to bring into this Detroit Lion organization. You have to fit that mold, and they've been doing a great job of fitting putting the guys in that direct mold that they need to fit into.
Speaker 2: Almost what about a Hutchinson update.
Speaker 10: He seems to be And we know it's different when you have a three hundred pound man pushing you in your chest trying to send you somewhere you don't want to go.
Speaker 6: But on air, everything seems to be good. He seems to be.
Speaker 10: The old eight Hutchison on air. So again we know once the battle starts, it's a different thing. But I think everything's going to be should be pretty well with them.
Speaker 6: I know Dan and them. They're going to ease him in there.
Speaker 10: That's just what they do regardless, So I know they're going to take the ease approach with him, but I think he's at the point.
Speaker 6: But regardless, regardless of how aiden.
Speaker 10: Is, if we don't get somebody on that other end, I mean, it's like the guy's fight with one arm behind his back.
Speaker 6: So we're gonna definitely have to find somebody on the other end. The compliment.
Speaker 5: Yeah, in Lomas, I talked to Brad Holmes, your general manager. He said everybody was beating on him that they didn't draft it in that rusher. You got the health of your star player in question, and Zadarius Smith is begging to be re signed. I mean, who's rushing the quarterback right now?
Speaker 6: I'm telling you, I don't understand that when they look.
Speaker 10: Brad has built up so much equity here in Detroit. I'm not gonna question him, but it has been a lot of questions asked to whysa there is in back in the fold already a guy that seems to be committed to the Detroit Lion, the guy that wants to be here, you know so, and I think he could be valuable plus even with him coming back, you're still going to have to look at somebody else or still looking to have some more debt to that position now.
Speaker 6: So, like I said, Brad, we trust.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he's done a great job for sure.
Speaker 3: Lomas Brown, by the way, is a Hall of Famer at the University of Florida, the College Football Hall of Fame, the Detroit Lions Hall of Fame, in the Michigan Sports Hall of Fame.
Speaker 4: He's been nominated for the Pro Football Hall of Fame. One day.
Speaker 3: You're going to get there, my brother, You're going to get there. You got you got the mojo going on. Lomas brought our guests, all right, let's talk about the coaches. So your new offensive coordinator obviously in John Morton, defensive coordinator Calvin Shepherd, they're going to put their own wrinkle to it, I'm sure.
Speaker 4: But are we talking about staying as similar as possible? What should we expect?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 10: You know, the soothing thing of the most confident thing about this, especially on the offensive side of the ball, is that, you know, when Ben Johnson was here, don't forget, Dan Campbell took over the offense for the remainder that year. We fired Anthony Lynn. Dan Campbell took over the offense and ran the offense for the rest of that year. Then Ben got promoted up. So I say that to say, the basis the foundation of our offense really realized, really lays in Dan Campbell.
Speaker 6: So he's here.
Speaker 10: So that's the one thing that you know you can count on the consistency with our calls. Of course, John Morton is going to want to add his flavor to it. I mean, if you are offense coordinator, that's what you are supposed to do, so it'll be some things different.
Speaker 6: From that standpoint. I expect the Calvin Shephard.
Speaker 10: I expect that transition to be a lot smoother because again we got Calvin coming from behind back of.
Speaker 6: Coach up to the defensive coordinator. Again, we took a big ball.
Speaker 10: If you think about the seven coaches, that's a lot to lose. Even when you think about Philadelphia when they won the Super Bowl. When they got purged, they lost both of their coordinators. But we lost both coordinators and we lost five other good coaches. So it's gonna be a big change, a lot of moving parts. But like I say, Dan, he'll get it well.
Speaker 2: Almost the second most important Campbell on your team. Jack Campbell have been a linebacker. I was reading an article. They said, he's got to be comfortable, be consistent with the mundane things. So does he have the defensive tackle protection, He's got a new defensive coordinator. Are the pieces in place in front and behind him to be the guy that the Detroit Lions need him to be, especially in this division.
Speaker 10: Yeah, that's a great question, and I think a lot of that is gonna rely on DJ Reed.
Speaker 6: He has to have a bounce back, yere He has to have a.
Speaker 10: Better year than last year, and I think if he could, because again we're going to be missing the Leen McNeil, and you don't want to put too much on the rookies play, even though we don't need our rookie to stand up, stand out and play this year.
Speaker 6: But I think it.
Speaker 10: Comes down to DJ Reader, because you're absolutely right, they're going to have to keep them off of those linebackers Jack camb Alexanzeloni, Dereck Barnes coming back off of injury.
Speaker 6: You know they're gonna have to let these guys be able to flow.
Speaker 10: And that's what Jack Campbell seems to be in this element when he can flow, not to say he can't fight off the blockers, but I mean, I guess with any linebacker that would impede.
Speaker 6: But again, he needs to be.
Speaker 10: Able to flow, especially when you're talking about the responsibilities that the mic takes on in our defense with having the cover a lot of coverages. And as we know, you know, the most impressive thing to me is just kind of this influx of tight ends that are coming in the game. Just think about all the tight ends got drafted this year and how these guys are looking now.
Speaker 6: It seems to be kind of slnting towards the tight ends.
Speaker 10: You got to have that dominant tight end that can block, but it can also run like a wide receiver and catch like a wide receiver too.
Speaker 5: This is really a veteran team other than the retirement of Frank greg Now and maybe Tate rat Ledge to the rookie ends up getting some playing time. But you know, when Dan Campbell started, he kind of had had to, you know, carry an iron fist and really break these guys in. And now they're a veteran group, and will they you know, I don't think he's got to be his heart on them because they know what he expects. But at the same time, they got to be self motivators just to sustain what they've earned as a team. And you mentioned all the coaching changes. Do you feel they are that type of team.
Speaker 6: With the leaders.
Speaker 10: Yeah, but it should be easy because think about it, we haven't won anything.
Speaker 6: What have we won?
Speaker 10: You know, if you think about it, Okay, you won the division the last two years. We were doing that back in ninety one. You know, we were winning the division back then. We got to the championship game, but we didn't win that. The Lions got to the championship game. They ever won that. So we haven't won anything yet. So again, you know that that hunger should still be that. It shouldn't be hard to motivate these guys because still got so much in front of them that they have to give accomplished. So that's how I look at it. I think those guys look at it too. And it was so disappointed man to be in that locker room to hear those guys after that Washington game. Think about it, they went fifteen and two, fifteen and two last year, number one.
Speaker 6: Seed, set to run the table.
Speaker 10: You know, everything's coming through the Mova City best crowd in the world. You know, we got home fill advantage all the way through up into the.
Speaker 6: Super Bowl, and you know it didn't work out.
Speaker 10: I mean, we fell flat on our face versus the Washington Commander. So again, they haven't won anything, and I know that's how they feel.
Speaker 6: I know that's how Dan Campbell and that staff feels too.
Speaker 3: All Right, they'll be at Soldier Field at the end of the season week eighteen, but the big one at Detroit on September fourteenth, week two, after the Bear's coming off a short week against the Vikings on Monday Night football. That'll set the tone for the year. I think, I think you let us with this before we get on the air. Why should we be so excited about what's happening here in Chicago.
Speaker 6: Oh my goodness, man.
Speaker 10: So again, I never told you, guys, but I worked out one morning I'm on the road trip and Ben Johnson was in there. And the night before I had went and I had looked up the word savant and under the definition of savant is someone that's who's.
Speaker 6: A genius, genius in what they do.
Speaker 10: So I said that fits Ben Johnson, and I told him that.
Speaker 6: I told him that walking down the hallway. I said, you know what, I say, my nickname for you from now on this stuff savant, because the dude is a genius.
Speaker 10: I'm telling you, man, you know, I got eighteen years in the league, four years in college, I went all four years that far, and then three years in high school. Man, I've never been around a more cred play caller. And I'm telling the things that's gonna amaze you guys so much.
Speaker 6: Just watch. It's gonna be all the little moving pieces.
Speaker 10: It's gonna be so many pieces you're gonna have to look at that have to click, that have to go together to make that play work.
Speaker 6: And man, I'm telling think about this now.
Speaker 11: We ran a fake fumble and Jared had to talk him out of actually fumbling the ball. Jared had to talk because Ben Johnson wanted Jared to actually fumble the ball and then pick it up and throw the you know, And Jared had to talk him out of them and say, wait, man, wait what if I fake like I fumbled the ball.
Speaker 6: I mean, it's just unbelieved. Think about stuff like that. Think about you got your three hundred.
Speaker 10: Pound tackle coming around in motion and you pitched the ball to him. While he's going around in motion and he's looking not to run the ball, he's looking to throw the ball down field on a third down. I mean, come on, now, we're not talking about, you know, a game you getting blown out.
Speaker 6: There were talking about a close game. It's third down and panay sue of the store.
Speaker 10: He's running a reverse motion, getting a pitch, throwing the ball to an open receiver. Now, I mean, I'm telling you, guys are gonna be so amazed with what you see from Ben Johnson. It's gonna be something week after week that you say, you're gonna be like, oh.
Speaker 6: My goodness, man.
Speaker 10: So the dude is Now sometimes it could work against you, but I'm telling you the timing with Ben Johnson, and that's another talent that you have to have, is a great coordinator.
Speaker 6: It's got to be the time when when you do everything, his timing was great most of the time.
Speaker 3: Wow, Okay, let's let's play right now, because now you gotta society Lamas, We're gonna let you go appreciate it as always. You're delightful and we look forward to seeing you during the season.
Speaker 6: Absolutely, guys, take care of us.
Speaker 3: Thanks all us Brown coming up our final segment with Tom and Jim. This is Bears Weekly and he's been one thousand of the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 7: You were tuned into.
Speaker 1: Bears Weekly with Jeff Joniac on the Bears Radio Network. This is Bears Weekly with the voice of the Bears for twenty four years, Chef Chef on the Bears Radio Network.
Speaker 3: This segment of Bears Weekly brought to you by Athletical Physical Therapy. Visit Athletic with dot comer A question in clinic or virtual deployment that start feeling better tomorrow? Jeff, Tom Jim Our final view. What are we learning in your opinions from those guys?
Speaker 5: Well, I just it's going to be interesting to see, like here just talking to Lomas. How is that coaching staff? Well, they call the plays a similar Calvin Shepherd. The guys are going to have their own wrinkles. Johnny Morton, who'll have his own wrinkles. And for Ben Johnson, you know, other defensive coordinators have seen his play calling in division, so how will they game plan him? Do they look at Chicago the same way is maybe they looked at the Detroit Lions when they were game planning the Detroit Lions. So really that first month of the season or when they played those early division games.
Speaker 6: That'll be something to watch, you know.
Speaker 2: I'll be interested in seeing how the defensive coordinators attack all the centers in the division because it's such an important part of the success and the timing come at offense. And when you bring new guys aboard, or you're playing guys for the first time, and you're playing against the caliber of talent that they have in the NFL, you can really disrupt the flow of the offense if you make things super uncomfortable for a center who maybe within the first four or five weeks of the regular season, is just learning his role inside the offense. So I know it's something that people around the league won't pay attention to, but I think it's something you got to pay attention to because the role in the relationship of center quarterback is unlike a lot of others.
Speaker 3: Yeah, four new centers in the division, four new starting centers, and then you get the defensive coordinator Dennis Allen. That's the other wrinkle that the teams in the division not quite sure how he'll run this defense. There's different pieces to the puzzle, and Jim, I'm curious on that side of the ball, because, as I mentioned at the outset of the show, that's where the experience is on this football team. At nine returning starters, if they all retain their starting jobs and enter the season healthy, and some players ready to take that rise from year three to four or year from year two to three, and we're talking about the secondary in that regard, do you feelieve any of these Bears players are ready to become blue Chippers?
Speaker 5: You know, Roma Donze was drafted high for a reason, you know, and I think that the same thinking is for Loveland. You know, Loveland comes with a lot of credentials in catching the ball. Now that's a lot to expect a rookie to make that jump up. Roma Doonza, I think came highly regarded. So I think offensively he's a guy that has to have a huge impact and defensively it's it's going to be interesting. It shakes out with Dennis Allen and how aggressive he has to be because there's a lot that is under their belt that Dennis Allen has given them to be responsible for.
Speaker 2: I think a guy like TJ. Edwards, I don't care what the other parameters are about blue chip linebackers. To me, TJ. Edwards is that type of guy. And then if we can get a guy like Travon Dexter Senior to take that next massive jump forward and then he can start complimenting Grady and the rest of these guys, then here's a guy that's going to at least get his name on the list.
Speaker 3: So in the division as a wrap up here, will offenses be more powerful than the defenses in the division?
Speaker 4: Like you mentioned, Jim, they scored a lot of points last year? Or will it level out? Will it be a war every week?
Speaker 5: I think it's going to be the highest scoring division again, I really believe that. I don't think Detroit's pass rush is there. They're going to be trying to outscore everybody like they did last year. I think Green Bay and be a potent offense that can score a lot and even with a young quarterback going on a second year, Minnesota has a lot of pieces to the puzzle. I mean, Jordan Jefferson probably one of the best in the league. Their skill positions are second to none. And I've said it on the Bears airwaves here here on ESPN, the Bears offense is going to have to carry the Bears defense for a little bit. These guys need to get in scoring mode because they are going to have to score points in order to keep up with the Jones.
Speaker 6: You know.
Speaker 2: I think when you look at this division, if you can get an advantage at home, including Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, and Green Bay, that's going to give you an opportunity to be, you know, have that environment on your side early. I think Brian Flores at home is a difficult defensive coordinator. I think when you look at Detroit and what they developed there as a home field advantage, it helps both sides of the ball. And I think that's what Chicago has to do starting Week one against the Minnesota Vikings. If they come out out and they have a high performing offense and a complimentary defense, I think you're going to see that for the rest of the season, and it's going to be a factor inside Chicago, especially when you play against Detroit last week at home.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you right now, if you think about that, if this has me so fired up, this division's insane that the skill positions like Jimmy mentioned, if you really add them up, I'd like to compare it to the rest of the league's divisions and see because I'll say across the board, it's going to be very interesting to watch and every single snap is going to matter. It all begins Week one against the Vikings at Soldier Field in a division with a Bears host Monday Night Football at Detroit September fourteenth, Week eleven and Minnesota Week fourteen at Green Bay home against the Packers. Two weeks later a week sixteen, ending Week eighteen at home against the Detroit Lions. That's going to do it for us. Thanks everybody for listening. The executive producer The Bears Ready to now work, Eric Ostrowski, Thanks to Dan Brilly, Jordan tread Up, Katie Fox, and our producer Justin Pottinger. For Tom There, Jim Miller and all our guests, I'm Jeff Jonniak. This has been Bears Weekly on the radio home of the Chicago Bears ESPN Chicago. Have a great night, everybody. Black and Abdalla are next.
Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to the Chicago Bears Network presentation The Bears Weekly hosted by the Mara Bears, Bill, Jeff Judiac and Surfmaster Tom Thayer. Podcasts were available on the Chicago Bears Offishalad brought to you by Verizon and Apple Podcasts. Bears Weekly has been brought to you by Miller Like