Speaker 1: I've been watching for two hours. You gotta score a goal. It's one more thing.
Speaker 2: I'm strong andy, one more thing.
Speaker 1: Oddly enough, I didn't feel that way. I don't know, I don't know. I guess i'd learned enough about soccer. I got caught up in World Cup fever something like that. After a lifetime of mocking soccer and people who watch it, I got into the World Cup this year and like I was, I wasn't sitting there watching it, but I had it on in the background the entire time the World Cup final and thought it was very exciting. I thought the fact that it was zero zero going into extra time was exciting. I wasn't thinking it was dull.
Speaker 2: It's funny how we've crossed paths, or you know, taken the opposite sides on this because I've watched soccer for years and years and years, and World Cup finals make me insane because they're so conservative. I find them boring. It's like watching you know, basketball in the four cores what do they call it the four corners era? Or they would just you know, get the ball and play keep away to run out the clock. And that's why they instituted the shot clock. And stuff like that. But you know, obviously the world that disagrees with me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we don't need to get into the hex's and o's of soccer. I suppose either like it or you don't. But the World Cup Final in the United States was a really, really big deal. And when they were talking about, you know, a billion people around the world watching, I think that's actually true, as opposed to when they say that for the Super Bowl. I've always wondered, is anybody anywhere else in the world give a crap about this?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 1: How many places in the world. I was thinking about this we're about to hear from to Tom Cruise. After I heard Tom Cruise talk about a billion people around the world, I thought, yeah, I mean, practically every high school in the world probably has a soccer team. How many high schools are there any high schools in Spain where anybody plays our version of football with pads and helmets and kick the oblong balls up? Is there one in the but there's not? How about there's not one high school football team? Is there one in Europe? I don't even know how.
Speaker 2: There are, but they are very very few, and they're a novelty. It's generally an American expat organizes it and the kids like playing and it gets written up in the New York Times as Scandinavians playing American football. It's a novelty.
Speaker 1: Basketball's definitely grown as a sport, which can be proven by the fact that we lost the gold medal a bunch of times in a row in the Olympics. So basketball is caught around the world, but soccer's everywhere for whatever reason. And it was in the United States yesterday and they made it. They it was like the Super Bowl and the way they the way they handled it on the television. I always feel guilty playing part of a national anthem, like I've done something sacrilegious. But let's hear a little of Jennifer Hudson singing the national anthem yesterday. See what supply.
Speaker 4: So?
Speaker 1: I heard the reviews of her version of the national anthem. She's no lubin Studdard. Who is who beat her? I think on American Idol.
Speaker 2: That year fifty years ago and nobody's ever heard it goes on for a minute in fifty six seconds.
Speaker 1: It's very good, though she did the two minute version. Yeah, man, for some reason, why was I doing this?
Speaker 2: The other day.
Speaker 1: I have no idea why. Uh, I think I played it for one of my kids. The Whitney Houston national anthem, after the first national anthem, after nine to eleven. Oh my god, that was something else.
Speaker 2: Jenniferson is an amazing vocalist. She is just you know, some people's sinuses and throats are shaped in such a way that it makes a pleasing noise when they sing. The rest of us not so much. But what are you gonna do?
Speaker 1: Here's a little Tom Cruise, who did the voice over for the pregame.
Speaker 4: More then thirty days ago, forty eight nations began a journey. They crossed oceans, they crossed borders, they crossed cultures.
Speaker 1: And together they showed.
Speaker 5: Us why this game belongs to the world.
Speaker 2: We came, alright, it's a soccer tournament, take it easy.
Speaker 1: The game on planes probably flew first class. It's not like they were in boats, rowing or something. Anyway, This is the.
Speaker 2: Part of the strings to many strings.
Speaker 1: This is the part I wanted to hear from Tom Cruise.
Speaker 4: But these stories, now, these stories belonged to each and.
Speaker 1: Every one of us, do they to every nation, to.
Speaker 4: Every player, to every supporter, to every volunteer.
Speaker 2: What does that even mean to every dream carried on the pitch?
Speaker 5: So as we gather for one final chapter, let us celebrate a tournament that brought the world together, celebrate each other.
Speaker 2: This football.
Speaker 1: So I thought this this greatness. Stop dyeing your hair. I thought that was interesting him calling it football because the most popular sport, the most popular TV show, the most popular really anything in the United States is football. But we don't mean that sport, so calling it calling something else football seems pretty crazy.
Speaker 2: I wish we had that chunk of Nate Bargatzi's great bit right ready to go, and we will play a game called football. This game will be played with the feet a little bit.
Speaker 1: There's a little kicking. How much is it worth? Sometimes three? Sometimes one? Uh, but I don't know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: If we're gonna we probably ought to What aughta happens? We got to rename our sport because calling it football is kind of dumb since it's almost entirely, especially now, a passing game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and there is a.
Speaker 1: Sport called football, it's most popular sport on the planet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but do we want to call it? Everybody else calls it American? Football. But we know that because we're here. So yeah, what do we call?
Speaker 1: Actually, how about you change the name of your sport? Or will bomb you back to the stone?
Speaker 2: Oh, for God's sake, that is, I do not appear. I disassociate myself.
Speaker 6: Tariff anybody who calls it football my god until the courts overturned it. Yeah, soccer is a per perfectly good name. Passing running black ethon, where did soccer come from? Did we make up the term soccer because they all call it football?
Speaker 2: I don't know. So that's a good question. I mean, the Brits invented soccer and they called it football, right. Yeah, Oh that is some seriously bad thumb. I'll get you an answer, okay.
Speaker 1: Uh so, uh give me this ABC report on the halftime from Sophie Flay.
Speaker 3: Many online criticized to the game as boring, and some reviews that the halftime show weren't much kinder. The show star studded with Madonna, Shakira, Chris Martin, and even the Muppets.
Speaker 2: Performing all right, young man, let's go.
Speaker 1: It's a big shot.
Speaker 3: Jason Sedaikas appeared in character as Ted Lasso, introducing Justin Bieber. Some calling the mix of performances and appearances bizarre and disjointed.
Speaker 1: First of all, it's the worst kind of journalism that exists on earth. We've been complaining about a long time, grabbing a couple of social media posts and building a story around it. Some people said this, but.
Speaker 2: You should have our freedom of speech taken away.
Speaker 1: Congratulations to the World Cup Final. You have risen to the level of the Super Bowl where everybody complains about your halftime show. That's a sign of success. It would seem right, since that's what we do in America with our version of football. Every single year, no matter what you put out, everybody complains about it.
Speaker 2: You know, my question would be, can we all take a step back and think about this? Number One, nobody's ever happy with it, So number one, why do you act surprise that you're not happy with it? Number two? What are we doing here? What is this exercise? I've again, I've called for this for ages a marching band, or a boxing match, or a hockey game or something just anything.
Speaker 1: But pop stars at the moment. Who wants the feats of strength? Well, this is not a pop star of the moment. This is a pop star of the moments. Forty years ago. Let's hear a little of Madonna.
Speaker 2: There's not a one percent chance she is singing that.
Speaker 1: And she's dressed like a whore. She look at the elderly lips sinking horror. Kids, Why is that elderly horror's lips not matching up at the mid worry about it, son, just In John, she was dressed like a whror. Madonna is not a horror in case that matters to anyone.
Speaker 2: She's a brilliant business woman, she is.
Speaker 1: But when you're getting free medical care from the government because you qualify it by age, you should no longer wear thigh highs in public. In the bedroom with your husband, fine, but in public trying to be sexy. You have been eclipsed by people a long time ago. It's just it's just weird. It's weird. Yes, give up the sex symbol thing. You can still go out and sing and everything, but don't don't. Don't be a sex symbol.
Speaker 2: It's weird.
Speaker 1: I didn't actually see the ted Lasso thing with Justin Bieber. Will will give you a little of that.
Speaker 5: Wait, coach, I gotta say the first half a halftime knocked my darn socks off.
Speaker 1: Spectacular bit ofhead.
Speaker 2: I mean, how the heck is anyone gonna be a fall that gonna be tough? Yeah? Yeah, you know what I think we need. We need some heart, you know, someone that has some soul, someone who can bring the love.
Speaker 3: Woo.
Speaker 2: You think of what I'm thinking.
Speaker 1: One step ahead of your coach.
Speaker 2: You always are. All right, young man, let's go.
Speaker 1: It's your big shot.
Speaker 2: Okay, I listen to me. Go out there.
Speaker 1: Don't be nervous.
Speaker 2: Nope, he's watching, all right, make us proud.
Speaker 1: And then he starts singing. So that's justin Bieber. I didn't realize that was justin Bieber. I caught part of that, and I was just saying to my son, because he plays guitar in front of crowds and stuff like that he has and I said, man, that'd be something standing in the middle, because did.
Speaker 2: You see any of it.
Speaker 1: It's a Bieber and an acoustic guitar period in the middle of the field, surrounded just by himself. And that's a heck of a thing because that place was one hundred and eighty thousand people. Are hover many people in there in the middle of the field by yourself with acoustic guitar. I would not be able to get my hands to work. You know, I'm sure I shouldn't get my fingers to function.
Speaker 2: I'm finding myself wondering would I be more nervous. That's the interesting thing I said to my kids about are less than if I'm in in a little place and there are four people staring at me.
Speaker 1: That I told my kids that are very same thing I said. You know, my experience though, actually is playing music or speaking. The giant crowds are way easier because you can't focus on the individual bored or angry person.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: But I've played like in bars where there's twenty people and you can like hear their individual song. Yeah. Famously, when a band I was in Gladys this would have been.
Speaker 2: Nineteen eighty eight anyway, heavy rock band. We played a bunch of covers and a few originals, and we played our first tune at this bar. It was like early early in the evening, first set, play our first tune and hear this gal's voice rang out. Well, they got nerve.
Speaker 6: Anyway, I'll never forget that chick and her tone of voice. Oh boy, But the great Joni Mitchell once said, these are easiest relationship in the world is ten thousand people.
Speaker 2: One is the hardest.
Speaker 1: And if you ever done in public speaking, it's it's similar. You're staying up in front of a seven thousand people or whatever is way easier than like a dozen people. Worst at playing music was I think it was an open n night Mike Open. No, it was not open Mike.
Speaker 2: He really left a lasting impression on you. It was brief and torrid.
Speaker 1: I was so drunk. It was not it was with a now I'm picturing it. But anyway, we're playing a set and like three or four songs in and I had written all these songs, So it particularly made me angry that somebody said, is every song you do in g and I thought and and I just thought it was hard to ignore because like, what kind of a criticism is that.
Speaker 2: It's a key I'm comfortable singing it or it.
Speaker 1: Just happened right now we've done four in a row that they aren't all and what why does it matter?
Speaker 2: What are you some sort of key of d flat activists. That's funny.
Speaker 1: I could hardly concentrate to do the next time because it's like what if it had been I hate your songs. It's think, well, some love them, some ahead of them. Okay, but that that's a wait, wait a minute, wait a minute, The hell do you care? Exactly? Made me want to stop the song and move the cable up a fret.
Speaker 2: There you happy? Uh, that's such a funny criticism, I know. So look that I see the next clip in the line.
Speaker 1: I was actually going to skip that, you want.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say, it's Shakira performing. You could play Shakira or half a dozen other rhythmic pop princesses through the years, and I would never have any idea, and I would have no opinion having played it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was gonna skip that. I think we've probably had done enough for the halftime show, and let's just get to the how the whole thing ended. After one hundred and twenty five minutes, it's a long time no scoring for most of that oax it in Williams that way to Spain their second World Cup title.
Speaker 5: Spain, for the second time in their history, have won the World Cup.
Speaker 1: It was zero zero, but that was not an indication of how the game was going. There were sixteen shots on goal by Spain and that number was Let me look at this zero by Argentina zero. They didn't get one kick at the goalie and all that time amazing.
Speaker 2: It was ridiculous. I was so discouraged. I was rooting for Argentina too, and I was just so just discouraged watching it. Oh, for God's sake, would you guys do something.
Speaker 1: I almost bought an Argentina jersey to wear around for a couple of days before this match. That would have been my dumbest jump on a bandwagon's sports purchase of all time. And I've made some dumb ones.
Speaker 2: Well, if you did bust it out of the closet, people would speak Spanish to you because they could only assume that you're in Argentine. Why else would you be wearing it.
Speaker 1: I saw lots of people over the weekend in Jerseys, lots of people in either in various jerseys. I saw a couple yesterday coming out of the target. They were holding NaNs. I assume boyfriend and girlfriend. The dude was in a Spain jersey and she was in an Argentina jersey.
Speaker 2: I thought that was cool. Wow, And do you think they are Americans?
Speaker 1: Oh, they're absolutely Americans.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, People just going to the sports bars and stuff like that, wearing jerseys like you do when you got to watch it a big sporting event with a whole bunch of people.
Speaker 2: They'd adopted a team. But see that's not cool anymore because our team did pretty well.
Speaker 1: I've seen lots of people wearing a variety of I don't know if they'd like developed teams that they liked over the years of their life or just as Urnmotever, I've seen lots of different jerseys from people in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, fair enough. I just think you ought to be jailed for it. I mean, free spe each and everything, but you can speak in jail. So you've gone against your country. You'd be traded. You are a foreign agent, an unregistered foreign agent.
Speaker 1: I enjoyed it. I've learned enough about Talker that I enjoyed. But I got no comebacks for anybody who says I'm supposed to watch for an hour and a half and nobody scored a goal.
Speaker 2: It's hard to argument one team is utterly dominant and the scoes zero zero. This game is broken. You need to fix the rules. You know. I actually missed the goal.
Speaker 7: I had been watching the whole game, got up to got some out of the fridge, come back and it says one zero, and everybody's jump on up and down, wah wah. Well, I guess that's it.