Speaker 1: I'm Tamika D. Mallory and ship Boy. So generally we are your host of t M I.
Speaker 2: Tamika and my Son's Information, Truth, Motivation and.
Speaker 1: Inspiration, New Name, New Energy.
Speaker 2: How you doing today, Tamika D. Mallory, You're doing great. You still got this little glam You're still I.
Speaker 3: Still got the hairstyle, which is a mess a little bit because I slept on it, but whatever, it'll work for today. I still got the glitter makeup.
Speaker 2: Yes that this is a good Harlem galla. You had that Links.
Speaker 3: Hallow, Well it's now it's the Metro chapter of the Links incorporated. The Links is a women's organization. It's a social organization that is very very focused on service. You have to be invited to become a member, and it would be on the list of the of the organizations that they call the black Bourgeoisie because these are very, very successful, powerful women. When it first started, there were a lot of women who were wives of so the husband had the resources. And not to say that those women weren't also pretty powerful, but it did have an element of women whose husbands were of stature and it was a place that the women, the wives could get together and do certain link and link up and do service for the community, you know. But over time, obviously, as women have made extreme, you know, incredible strides in our careers and our professional lives, our personal lives and all of that entrepreneurship, it has become a space where a lot of women they don't even have to be well, a lot of them are married, probably the majority are least in very long standing relationships. But you don't have to be to join the links. And again you do have to be invited, and it's a very rigorous process for how how people are selected. I find myself as one who especially I've been a link now for ten years, and so how I when I was introduced and invited into LinkedIn, I knew I was different from many of the other women as an activist organizer, didn't have a lot of resources, you know, just kind of was finding myself ten years ago, I was thirty four years old. I was just getting myself in a really really comfortable space. And so for them to bring me in let me know that the vision is to expand beyond just like one type of black woman. And now I look to the right and the left of me and there's all types of people, you know, somebody that might have an art studio, somebody who might have an art gallery, you know, So you've got that kind of interesting dynamic and Metro Manhattan's chapters focus. My chapter's focus is on Harlem, our services to youth, our national trends. All the things that we do is about and we have an arts committee as well. Everything that we do is about figuring out how to help people in Harlem, how to support more Harlem initiatives, how to bring our skill set to the people of Harlem. We work with domestic Violence Shelter and providing them. In fact, I've been in that shelter many times for you know, whether it's talking with the women. Now we're in the process of raising donations and money to support the women there. We work with Thurgood Marshall School working with their young people, and some other schools. And you know, Hazel Dukes, the Great Hazel Dukes is one of the charter members of the chapter. So of course her energy is like built in and a lot of what happens in the chapter in the direction of the chain is based upon her big service to Harlem.
Speaker 1: For I don't know how.
Speaker 2: Many are dukes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so that's what the links are all about.
Speaker 3: Or you know, you hear people online bashing people who are in black organizations, the Boulet and.
Speaker 1: All of that.
Speaker 3: But in a lot of these groups, you have young people who've been able to get education. I know for a fact that sometimes when it's happened, it literally has happened with myself and another person has SIGNI prats from a different chapter.
Speaker 1: She's been in Greater New York.
Speaker 3: She and I have literally helped to pay for the college education of one of the young people who comes from a struggling beginning and has dealt with some extreme issues and disadvantages. But we helped her to get through Hampton. Whenever she needed something books not paid for, need more money to close the gap with the rest of the tuition, need pocket change.
Speaker 1: We helped her.
Speaker 3: And now not only did she graduate for Hampton from Hampton, but she's on her way to law school on a scholarship for her entire time in law school. So this is what the links is all about. And so when you know, you hear people talking and maybe you've never encountered someone from these types of organizations, and there's enough critique to go around. We should definitely critique all organizations, including Until Freedom should have people to say, well what about this? You could do more here, You could be deep on these issues. But overall, the goal of these women, aside from social events which we have, is really to do service to our community.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I did a service yesterday.
Speaker 4: We did.
Speaker 1: We raise a lot of money.
Speaker 2: Beautiful event, you know, and then they party. Good fool you know what I'm saying. Everybody was dead. It was. It was a beautiful event.
Speaker 4: Man.
Speaker 2: It's it's good to see you just to see black people in that element, right, to see it in the professional element. You just watch it goes. You see all types of preachers, you see successful people from all over the world that come, y'all they could. Lady was on there talking about how people flew from all over to come to this thing because this is this is that thing, you know what I'm saying. So it was it was a good event, man, it was. The energy was good, you know, and it's it's always good to see people, you know, thriving in those spaces. So shout out to the Manhattan chapter of the Link, the Met Chapter and their good Old.
Speaker 1: Holiday. It was called a toast harl But.
Speaker 2: You know, the only thing I was wondering, It's like it was in Chipriani's Wall Street and which is a dope dope spat. But why is it not in Harlem? Like? Why since the Harlem? Why you don't do it in Hallow?
Speaker 3: Well there, you know, if you notice, we have a lot of people, and our assessment every year, which is the dues that you pay for the organization to keep going, requires that every gala, which is every two years, each member of the chapter must participate because you got to have some skin in the game in order to stay in this network. And by the way, there are people who've done deals with just like any other you know, I don't know what happens. Our community is the only community that people get mad at you for being in a club where you can go across the table and say, hey, you know what, we're building this business or we're doing this thing. Would you like to come in, would you like to invest?
Speaker 2: You?
Speaker 1: Can you help me? Can you guide me? Hey? I need a job?
Speaker 3: Hey my son is can he interview? Can he be your intern for the summer? Can you know, I don't know why can get a recommendation letter?
Speaker 1: People be what because they.
Speaker 3: Don't have access all the time. And I get it, but you gotta build your own networks. I'm in fifty networks of different types of people.
Speaker 1: I got people that do all types of things.
Speaker 3: You got to anyway, I was getting raided to started saying illegal stuff. I was gonna say, you got to sue, sue people, but not for nothing. I don't invest in that because I don't see how I love. I don't see how it comes back. It just doesn't make sense. Nah, doesn't make sense to me. So I don't do it anymore. I used to, but I don't do it anymore anyway. People still have all different types of networks to help them get through life, and you should build them. Don't wait for somebody to invite you to this or that or whatever. You think you gotta be all of this to get in the room. I wasn't all of that, and I was invited because of my work and the fact that I grew up in Harlem and you know, and people were like, Okay, she's somebody we should have. And I'm sure in those meetings that I'm not a part of. So don't you don't get to know what happened before. It's like the zoom chat. When you come into the zoom chat, the only thing you could see is when you came in the little chat section.
Speaker 1: But before that.
Speaker 3: Other people were probably having plenty of conversation, but you don't know until you get added.
Speaker 1: And it's the same thing with this. I don't know what was discussed.
Speaker 3: I don't know what they said before I got there, but I'm sure that if Hazel has anything to do with it, she's sitting in the room saying, all of us are cute, we look cute. Well, we need some of these young folks that's out here in the movement doing the work.
Speaker 4: You know.
Speaker 3: I can imagine her saying that, And so that's how I made it, and so, you know whatever. But to answer your question about why it's there, it's because there really are not enough venues that can handle the size.
Speaker 1: Of our group. You know, we got over seventy people.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so each person has to have between ten to twelve people at this event. That's a lot of people. The venues just really don't hold they really don't. And even some of the larger venues we have, they are not.
Speaker 1: Up to the.
Speaker 3: It's aesthetics of what people are trying to do. But nonetheless, we can show you when you open our books line item of where the money goes and the money that we raise goes into Harlem.
Speaker 2: It definitely does. That was an exquisite event and you can tell that people paid a lot of money for it.
Speaker 3: They do, we pay, Yes, I paid, So shout out to y'all for that.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Cool.
Speaker 1: So let's talk about my thought of the day.
Speaker 3: I got a call from someone who was really concerned about a case that's happening.
Speaker 1: Terrible situation. Horrible situation.
Speaker 3: Uh, And I was involved with it in the very beginning for a short period of time. I think we may have gone and we visited the family or we did something, and so I'm not I was not involved with it until the last day.
Speaker 1: And so a person called. And when I say the.
Speaker 3: Last day, that's usually something happens in court or you know, you have some developments. And then that's that's what I mean by that, because when we get involved, we stay all the way. But in this situation and in a few other situations, people will see us and then you don't. And so the so the person that wrote me said, I thought that you were on this, like what happened. They weren't upset or anything. They just was like what happened? Like where did you go? Curious about it? And it made me sit and think that I can't explain to that person the details, because that's just not what we do, right, We don't. We don't go out and tell people why or what's going on behind the scenes and cases.
Speaker 1: You know, I was getting all of this flack.
Speaker 3: I think you remember, this is a separate issue about Shanquala Robinson and her father had been making statements about, you know, how we got involved, and then all these bloggers picked it up and they were talking about us as if or me, especially as if I was somehow encouraging Shanquala's her mother and her sister to do something without the father. And I've never said a thing, you know. All I have really pretty much ever said, was like, hmm, you know, y'all believe what y'all want to believe. But I know the facts of what's going on behind the scenes. But we don't go out and say, oh, let me tell you this happened, that happened, or whatever. All we can do is say. All we can do is say I've had many conversations. Everybody involved knows exactly what's going on, and you kind of leave it at that because you're trying to make sure the integrity of what you're doing that you don't get a reputation for running around spreading gossip and stuff about people's face.
Speaker 1: This nasty? Is this not what we're gonna do.
Speaker 3: So in this particular situation, they're asking why am I not involved in this?
Speaker 1: In this thing?
Speaker 3: And so I was sitting in my thought of the day at what I came here to say is that oftentimes we don't talk about any of the details of what's happening behind the scenes in cases, but there's a lot of stuff happening behind the scenes in cases, and I will often pull back from a situation where I see that there is any level of toxicity with other people getting involved. I can deal with a family that might have struggles because you have unfortunate situations where someone may be killed or harmed, and then you find out there's a parent who's incarcerated, or a parent who is on drugs or you know another or a parent who's not been around but now that they're is a case they want to be in the camera, or they think they're supposed to get some money. We've dealt with all of that, and I know how to navigate those conversations, working closely with the lawyers the families, trying to give the best advice, and also making sure to stay close to who invited us to be a part of helping them to fight for their loved one. But if I see that other individuals are coming into the situation who are toxic, it's especially in New York where we live, I pull back my my business and support from the sidelines. And the reason why I do that is one because I have no intention to fight other people while working on a situation that requires really all of our full attention and our unity to help this family or these individuals.
Speaker 1: Fight for their community or their loved one.
Speaker 3: I have no intention of being in a knockdown drag out.
Speaker 1: I've done that already.
Speaker 3: I done had squabbles here and there with people, and I'm just not doing it. Especially as I've gotten older, I realize I'm not the only advocate. I realize that I'm not the only voice. I realize that there are many people that have different strategies, and Lord knows, I pray that whatever their strategy is works. But for me, especially in New York City where I live, I understand that my family members and friends they don't really do politically correct.
Speaker 1: So all of this.
Speaker 3: Like where people think they can be super aggressive with you and they outside yelling and talking about, oh, anybody that's here, this is my shit then, and now, ain't you ain't tough enough? You ain't this and doing all that. I'm out because I'm not getting ready to have the men in my family getting into it with you, because it's going to turn into some total street shit, Like, ain't nobody trying to hear me telling them, well, we gotta you out here people be threatening to slap people like the things that I see. And we're even on video getting into it with a group of weird ass people out in Staten Island where they were videotaping my license plate from when.
Speaker 1: We pulled up.
Speaker 3: They were videotape and my license plate and the type of car that I have, and we asked them what's up and the thing turned into a whole thing, and the next thing you know, we back and forth and people are saying what is going to happen? And they clipped me saying something by slapping the shit out of someone, and then there we go. And so but I don't give a damn. I'm just saying I don't want to be involved in none of that. So therefore, if I see toxic organizations or people I don't work well with, or people, and you know, and again if you call me, if a family callsed me and say hey, do you have this person's number or can you support me in this way?
Speaker 1: No problem.
Speaker 3: But I am not going to be showing up every day in an environment where somebody that might me have to hurt them or somebody and my family have to hurt.
Speaker 2: It's growth, and it's just understanding. A lot of people are, oh, why you ain't on this and why you ain't all that, and you know, a lot of times it's just it's not the situation. You know, it's not a situation that I feel like we should be attached to it. Like you said, it's toxics. A lot of times, you know, these a lot of times these families are forced into situations that they didn't call for, right, and then with media attention, it divides the family. Right, So when you see that the family is divided and the father don't want this, and the father don't want the mother ain't this, and you know, the mother and the father's it's I don't want to be involved in, right, because it turns into SMAR campaigns, It turns into discrediting you and this and that, and a lot of times, you know, we've we've we've experienced it firsthand in situations that we never had anything to do with, when people just throw your name out because you happen to be the most notable person in the situation. So and they can get some you know, views, and they can get some attention, and the news is going to print as soon as they try to discredit you. So we just these are things that come along with the territory and actually really be on the front line and doing this work, and we we've learned how to navigate. We've learned how to say, oh, now, this situation right here, we hope you get the best you know that you can, but you know, it's just not something that we want to be involved, and we've learned how to do that.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it's not an easy decision to make because if we could be involved in everything, we would, but it's the best situation for the family also because you know, you don't even want to explain to them like, oh, that's messy. You know this person they can't be trusted, or they did this thing, or you know a lot of times I get that's what they do.
Speaker 2: And somebody's going and this person ain't that And then if the family be like, well, that's not what i've seen either. The first people that can't help me, you know, before anybody was here, they actually was the people. You know, but they'll try to do anything. Oh, they only came for the world. They actually didn't come for that. They actually was the people that brought the news here because you know, we reached out to them and nobody was paying attention. Like, but they don't say those things. Most people don't know those things, only the family, and then they won't they won't highlight that, you know, they won't highlight the family members saying that. They just want to highlight the people that's talking negative about you. So this, you know, and in all of these situations, we know what comes with this. You know, you've been doing this way before me, but I know in the last decade that I've been doing it, you know, I've learned and said, oh that's what happened. Well, oh that's how they do. Damn, I didn't think that. I'm thinking, you're fighting for people. It should be simple. We just out here. We want to make sure. No, it's there's so much proper.
Speaker 3: It gets to be very complicated, very competible. So I just I tried and not so much that a mind in my business. If you call on me, I'm here, and I always make it clear I'm here. But at the end, and I also don't bad mouth other people like, oh but I can't be around because such such. I don't do that. They do that to me, but I don't do well of that. I just find a way to, you know, ease myself on back. Let y'all go ahead, get in front of the camera, do your thing. I don't need it. We create our own media every every week on this show and other things that we do. Our social media following is pretty strong. People are really with us. We create our own media. I don't need it. It would be nice if the mainstream media paid more attention to what we do and promote us, but at the end of the day, if they don't, that's okay. If you want to find us. We telling you the story of what we're doing. I'm not running to stand up and be in the face of the camera. So and then having to go back and people threatening and talking crazy because they really not gonna do any of the things that they're saying, but the mere fact that they are even trying to and it's not it's not really threatening us. It's just their their their their body language and all of this ignorance. And just like I said, toxicity, I'm not gonna do it. And I think also as it relates to you and Angelo, I'm also very mindful because I know as soon as something happens with me, y'all are going to be like, what's going on? And now nobody's backing down and everybody, so you know what, I'm out.
Speaker 1: Y'all got it?
Speaker 2: You gotta be like y'all got it?
Speaker 1: You right, you got it? I mean, you got it? God bless God, bless you.
Speaker 3: Anyway, what's up NeXT's going to be our music segment.
Speaker 2: I got a song for my music segment. That's a young guy that I love man and he sent me this this song today and it's called Uncle Tom Right, and he did a song you got, you gotta follow him. Is his Instagram is at Teft's at tef Same game t e F s A m E g A n G on Instagram at tough t e f at tef t e f same s A M gang g A n G. And it's called Uncle Ruck. I mean, it's called Uncle Tom. And I love the song. It's he made a little parody with certain Instagram people that pretty much fit you know, what he's talking about. And he's just talking about, you know, black people who who have been labeled Uncle Tom's who've done the things to you know, promote narratives that disrespect us, that amplify, you know, the most negative things about us. And he has some different things from you know, from the Boondocks, Uncle ruckets and it's a certain thing and it's a funny, but he's actually gonna do a real video. So he sent it to me and was like, Yo, I want you to put up for the real video when he does it, so I might pull up for the real video because it's like a little spool video that he did right here. But shout out to Tef. You know, he's a dope artist. He got he got a song that I posted before called Little Sis where he's talking to young girl that he's watching grow up and go through certain things, and he's just trying to put a orange of things and educated and try to save us. So that's when I first got introduced him. But he's a real dope artist, really introspective, lyrical, you know. So shout out to him and if you if you want to go follow him at tef Same gang on Instagram. He's a dope artist. And listen to the.
Speaker 3: Song Uncle Tom, Cool, Cool, Uncle Tom. I'm gonna check it out. That sounds like something I need in my blood. Right now, there's so many, so let's get into our guest who's coming in to be with us today. He was out shaking the tail fea feather with us at the gala and then.
Speaker 2: But we will have a be moving man, moving and shaking.
Speaker 3: Attorney Lee Merrick coming right up. The big homie is in town, Attorney Lee Marrit. All of you who are watching you know Lee, so we don't have to do too much to explain who he is. But if you are not aware, Lee Merritt is a civil rights attorney who has worked on some of the biggest cases, some of the most egregious cases in our time. How do you Lee Now you're forty one and how long have you been a lawyer?
Speaker 4: A decade now?
Speaker 3: Yeah, so for the last ten years he's been on the real, the real egregious who shot John cases that are like really serious. I mean, of course, one of the cases that comes to mind as a Tatiana Jefferson for those of you who remember that young sister was shot through her window while playing video games with her nephew and her home. And that's just one case, but that's something that I think a Tatiana we kind of like always revisit that whenever women are killed, we are always very sensitive to how it really goes, like unnoticed discussed.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Whi's true manslaughter instead of murder, which we can talk about with the ely verdict today, but manslaughter instead of murder. And Yeah, some of the cases that we were involved in Texas, we get those out. We've seen some of those outcomes, both of them Jas one of them where Amber Geiger went to prison. Yeah yeah, yeah, she said she walked in the wrong.
Speaker 1: Apartment, right, So that's both of them, John, that's uh.
Speaker 4: And you know, my son was just talking about Jordan Edwards. My son just turned fifteen, and Jordan Edwards was fifteen when he was killed.
Speaker 1: Right, right, right, that's one of your early cases.
Speaker 4: When Roy Oliver went to prison for that from murder one.
Speaker 1: So you got some son, some wins. Yeah, but they're still not like thet It's still not I don't know what it is about it.
Speaker 3: It's like when we get an officer arrested or you know, they go to jail, or we get a.
Speaker 1: Judgment for some.
Speaker 3: Reason, it just still was like it feels like if it can continues to happen, we're still not winning, like we just exactly Yeah, it's crazy. But then you also have another client at we love and I don't care who doesn't like it. We love, Uh, the brother from the what do they call him? The folding chair at the Alabama.
Speaker 1: What's it called? What's that area called again?
Speaker 4: Montgomery?
Speaker 1: The Montgomery right, the riverfront, that's right. He was a protector of other black this.
Speaker 4: Job after a group of white races began to sail black folks at the Montgomery Pier. What was it? What's the day?
Speaker 2: August?
Speaker 4: Fifth?
Speaker 1: August?
Speaker 4: It's a black holiday.
Speaker 1: Now, yeah, that's right.
Speaker 4: Celebrate the first year. Brother Ray actually went back to Vegas and he kept he called Eddie Griffin and show and Eddie Griffin does some common I was in Vegas at the NBA and which is the National Bar Association Conference. I'm sorry, and and Eddie Griffin did some jokes about the Montgomery brawlers, about Ray, in particular the chairman, and so we said chairman, and so we sent we sent the chairman there in him. Griffin actually brought him on stage to some of the guy in the crowd was like no, because he was making the jokes, and.
Speaker 2: He was like, no, it's him right here.
Speaker 1: That's cool. Celebrated and they were talking about charging him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah. He faced some charges him and uh some other folks, Uh there face some charges. And I want to make sure that I'm saying the right thing. The charges were resolved, resolved, charges were resolved. I am not a criminal defense attorney. I do not practice criminal defense law or any form of law in the state of Montgomery, in the state of Alabama. I'm a federal attorney. I represent Steve Perkins there Indicator Alabama. We can talk about that. Yeah, I have to say all these.
Speaker 3: Which means you're giving the news, not that you're reporting the news totally.
Speaker 2: Now you talked, you spoke about the Daniel Penny case in the verdict. You know, we just heard today that he was found not guilty of manslaughter. Yeah, not manslaughter in criminal criminal negative and homicide.
Speaker 1: But that was still a charge.
Speaker 2: They took the man slaughter off and then they left him with criminal negative homicide for what for taking the life of Jordan Neil.
Speaker 3: You're right, he choked Jordan Nelly to death like a choke hold pretty much on the train in New York City.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, And so this wasn't a causation case. We know what caused Jordan Nilly to die. It was this gentleman's name. It was Daniel Penny putting them in this choke hold. His defense was justification. Of course, this is what we see what cops use of force all the time. And so it really the whole trial came down to what the jury would consider justifiable and protecting either himself from the threat that Jordan that represented, or protecting others from the threat that represent it. Jordan said allegedly, according to witnesses, he said that he wanted to kill somebody. He was willing to kill somebody. It didn't touch anybody and raise his voice, but that under the law would have given most third parties the right to intervene. Hey, I'm not gonna allow you to kill somebody. I'll restrain you. He restrained them about the neck. I restrained people. I know how to restrain people. If you restrain them about the neck, the means I'm trying to cut off their wind. I'm trying to hurt them as my intent. I can restrain you in another way, especially somebody built the way Jordan Elli was built. I say all that to say I thought he would get criminal negligent homicide. I thought the judge dismissing manslaughter because they were locked on it. Dead locked on it was was an issue. I think that's a charge. The prosecutor can and should bring it back because the judge can't simply dismiss of it because the jury's dead locked on That means a group of jurors considered the other. The ones who just discussed it said a group said he's guilty of this, that he had lines up, and just because they're deadlocked on it on it, that means that you give the prosecutor a chance to represent the case.
Speaker 3: So so there's still hope. Yeah, so the prosecutor, so Alvin Bragg's office, who is the prosecutor in New York for those listening.
Speaker 1: Can go back.
Speaker 3: So you don't have to appeal anything. I mean, there's no appeal on the other side.
Speaker 4: And of course we think we have to think of all of I keep forgetting the assailants.
Speaker 1: Name Daniel Penny, your penny.
Speaker 4: He has to think of all of Daniel Penny's constitutional rights. Of course he has the constitutional right from double jeopardy. You can't bring the same charges against mister Penny. Uh. But that charge was brought, It was not properly dismissed of. It was not finally dismissed of. They were locked on it. I'm not sure what the judge did and dismissing it. I've never seen a bifurcated this dismissal. When I say a bifurcated dismissal, H'm saying he dismissed one part of the charges brought in a charge that up until that point no one was even discussing criminal negligent. I'micide as I was looking into the case and trying to figure out what charges were read to the jury that wasn't even I think it was one of the lesser includeds. But all that to say, I believe that the other manslaughter of charge should be refouled.
Speaker 1: Wow, well you heard it here.
Speaker 3: And I guess their attorneys again and making sure that we what do you call it, say all the things that you are not the attorney, but because you do these things all the time, I just thought it was a good idea for us to just hear your because we just it just makes no sense to us, period, Like seems to be clear cut. But I think also having the mayor of New York City, Eric Adams, speak on this case just days before the jury went out or maybe when the jury was being sent to deliberate, and he said, you know, I think that the jury should really look at this and hopefully they look at the evidence closely because people were afraid and whatever other things he went on to say, which was basically making an excuse for what.
Speaker 1: Daniel Penny did.
Speaker 3: And I think once you have a mayor say something like that knowing that it has the ability to what do y'all call it prejudice the jury and people say, well, the jury's not supposed to be listening to this, and that the jury's listening to everything because they you know, you tell your family members, don't say nothing, but I'm on this case, but don't say anything. And every time you get home, what do they do say something?
Speaker 4: Well, my cousin on that trail, and they chastised all of the black leaders who went down, and we were all there for this. It went down to Minneapolis for the George Floyd verdict and they didn't say anything as strongly as the mayor said in support of a conviction or an acquittable, but they did say I remember Congresswoman Barbara Ward, I believe, said some things that people consider provocative, like this jury.
Speaker 2: Better get it right.
Speaker 4: And they said, oh my god, that's the worst thing ever. That's going to be a mistrial. But you have the mayor of this city, uh uh make such such strong statements and support of this killer. It's wild to me.
Speaker 2: It's pretty much, you know. I was. I woke up today and I posted on my page and I was just like, you know, although I'm not surprised, it doesn't take away the pain. But every time we see a black life loss and you basically tell us that, you know, nobody's responsible for just taking this man's life. You know, obviously he was dealing with mental health issues. You know, it's documented. People are saying, you know that he's never harmed any woman.
Speaker 1: Well, no, he has.
Speaker 3: Well I can't say that he has because I don't know how these things played out because I never did a whole bunch of research to follow it down. But I do know that there have been accusations and I think in one of them has to do with him hitting a woman. So, you know, I just want to because he he has, he has had some incident at some point, and I believe his family denies that most of this stuff is true. But nonetheless, he was troubled. He was absolutely troubled.
Speaker 4: He had some run ins for law enforcement. He was a known of what very well known street performer or if you're in the area. During that period of time that he was performing, which is almost the span of a decade, probably the span of my career, from being a young man to a older man, and yeah, his mental health began to deteriorate, like a lot of black men in that state, living you know, on the streets near poverty, and we don't have any mechanisms are helping our mental health community people in mental health crisis. People in mental health crisis are sixteen times more likely to be killed by the police than the average citizen. And I don't appreciate, you know, how our courts have responded to victims who are in crisis, particularly when it comes to and in this case, I think Penny takes the place of law enforcement. But when it comes to law enforcement, Penny was treated in this case, well, in this case the street like a white man. The problem is law enforcement completely different.
Speaker 3: Right he got I mean, if people gave him money to support him. It's interesting because I'm not not that I want to see this, but I've not I've not heard of a white man who's in crisis on the train because, by the way, everybody is there. I don't know if I see Asians as often as white and black folks and Latinos on the train. Who are you know, homeless and and I want to say, acting out right, I know they probably are there, but obviously they are small part of the population, so I don't really see them. But white folks, black folks and Latino people all the time. You see them going through different things. Some of them nice, some of them quiet, some of them not, some of them while some of them scary. You see this all the time. So you can't tell me that they are not white people on the train who do crazy stuff. You can't tell me that. But I've never ever, ever, ever heard of a black man or a brown man choking a white person to death on the train. I've never heard of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and especially I never heard of them not being found guilty of direct right if they did it. So it's just they're going to jail for it. So you know, it's it's very unfortunate, like I was saying, and you know, dot matter how many times it happens, it just doesn't feel good, you know, And it's just it's just a real hard feeling.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it is.
Speaker 2: I just want to know this case I've seen that you're working on in Vegas, Yeah, to explain to us what happened in that situation.
Speaker 1: Durham.
Speaker 4: Just a few weeks ago, I can't recall the date off the top of my head, but just a few weeks ago, Brandon Durham called the police to his home because he had an intruder. Someone who he said was breaking into his home was threatening to shoot up his home. When the police came, they saw glass, they saw damage done to the outside of the home. They rushed into the home. There's about three officers there, the lead officers, the officer named Alexander Bookman. He hears screams in the homes. They're begging for help. It's the victim, Brandon Durham, begging for help. When they find him. He's in the hallway in his underwear. He's holding back the assailant who has a knife, and he has his arm pinned up against the wall. I think it took about one point nine seconds between the officers coming through the door and finding him in the hallway and shooting Brandon almost about from three feet away, shooting them to the ground, and then closing the gap, walking at three distance and shooting them five more times, killing Brandon.
Speaker 1: And in the police.
Speaker 3: When Brandon called the police, and by the way, it's important to mention that his daughter, who's fifteen, was there in the house as well, so he was not just protecting himself, he was protecting his child from an intruder when he called the police. It's my understanding that he told them the person had on a red cap or read something. So the officer who's now getting the report and is approaching this home even if you don't know, because you know, my mother always says, if two.
Speaker 1: People are arguing, nobody know who's the fool.
Speaker 3: You think you and the right, but you might look just as crazy as the other individual. So let's just go by that that two people are fighting. You don't really know which person is the assailant. But the person who was mentioned in the audio had on red and from the looks of the sketches that I saw, this woman who was the intruder had a lot of red on. So why I don't what is their excuse for why they shot him and not her?
Speaker 4: Well, actually gets worse than that. And you know, there's two excuses that I thought they could come up with. One was accidentally shot the wronger I missed and I was going for the right person. The thing that doesn't make sense if that was the case is why did you close the gap and then shooting them five more times?
Speaker 2: Wow?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 1: And so that that can't worry that.
Speaker 4: One doesn't work? Uh. The The real issue this is something that just came out in the media recently in the last couple of days. Is there's now an audio recording UH a service call to the same address the previous day. Officer Alexander Bookman responded to the call. Officer Alexander Bookman knew exactly what Brandon Durham looked like, and he knew exactly what the woman looked like.
Speaker 1: Well, so she had been there, she had been there before. Well, what was her problem? She's obsessed with them for some reason.
Speaker 4: She was an invited guest in the previous day and would refuse to be quorl someome sort and the next day she came with a vengeance. So, but that's crazy. She had been trespassed by Officer Bookman, not told not to come back to the property, and so he had every opportunity to know who was the victim and who was the assailant, and there was there was never any indication that Brandon was the one who's directing violence towards anyone.
Speaker 1: So you're telling you go ahead.
Speaker 2: That's just crazy to me. So they knew who this person was.
Speaker 4: He Alexander Brookman, who should be charged with a crime here, And I'm not sure what level of man murder, manslaughter or that he's responsible for. But he should be arrested immediately.
Speaker 2: So he's never been.
Speaker 4: Questioned, no and question it. And we still don't know why he did with it. That's why you say, well, what excuses are? Give me not much.
Speaker 2: So his life was taken. Shot the man six times, and nobody's been arrested.
Speaker 3: No rest while he was on the ground, he was shot five times.
Speaker 4: And you see it on the video, right.
Speaker 1: I didn't watch them.
Speaker 4: So in a lot of cases, we don't get these videos because there's the various ways of keeping them from the family as well as for the public.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: Here we know exactly what happened, we know who did it, we know what information he had when he did it. There's no reason. And I sat down with the prosecutor for the Metro Nevada area, I believe it's Clark County, uh while I was there a few weeks ago, and he explained to us the process that, of course is under investigation. The Nevada Metro Police Department investigates themselves. There's no third party, there's no federal overview, there's no sheriff's department that comes in determine whether the use of force is correct. The General counsel for the Novata Peda has already put out a statement that says there was no criminal intent on the part of the book man. He just made a mistake. There was no criminal intent. Criminal intent is not even the element of any crime.
Speaker 1: To give you.
Speaker 2: But but I started being when you know, the crime happened, but that would be.
Speaker 3: Based upon the level of the charge, if criminal intent would be like murder versus manslaughter.
Speaker 4: Just before his investigations even began, this was I was the first couple of days after the murders. So his statement initially as he started his investigation was there was no criminal in ten. In other words, I'm not investigating this as a crime. They're investigating as an internal fair situation to see if he followed the policy right. And the policy is, you know, rapidly involving for police in terms of use of force, they rapidly involving. There is no standard. They get to do almost what they want in under the new culture that's sweeping the nation, particularly in areas like Nevada. I don't see them charging this officer.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I read somewhere that and I don't want to misstate the numbers, but there have been you know, more than ten of these types of shootings or police involved shootings of black folks in like a short period.
Speaker 2: Of time in this region.
Speaker 1: Yeah, thirteen, thirteen.
Speaker 3: Is the number eight fatal, So you know that's that's why he's Attorney Lee Merrit He's like, I know the number is, so thirteen, do you have other cases?
Speaker 4: And you know there's countries close to there in a reno that we're investigating now, But there's countries, there's entire countries with hundreds of thousands of people, millions of people that don't have the killing thirteen. Japan doesn't kill thirteen people a year, and they have millions of people, highest concentrations of poverty in the world, the same drug problems, same gang problems we do. They don't have this history of violence and.
Speaker 1: Black lives, so can you.
Speaker 3: And we got to make sure to mention Minister Stretch, who is one of our Until Freedom organization in Vegas, and he has been saying I've been trying to tell people that this has happened, and folks are not really interested, they're not moving on it. And now I know that he's you know, obviously very supportive of Brandon Durham in this case and his family. But I want you to just talk about with Trump becoming president again, what do you think will be the difference. You clearly have you worked, you know, you work an attorney when he was president before, so you know what the Department of Justice was doing. You know what has happened during the Biden administration where we've had this powerful sister Kristen Clark as the head of the Civil Rights Division of the DOJ, and what she has been doing.
Speaker 1: What do you think it will look like now?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's an article out in the Huffington Post written by who's the famous coach of the Lakers, coach Kobe Oh. Yeah. The author's name is Joe Jackson. That's how I remember, and he wrote about the DJ under Biden in the strikes we've been able to make and we've seen more prosecutions under the Biden DJ. It was always a threat that we could bring that we didn't have in the earlier parts of this fight. When I said I've been doing this decade. The previous decade, we didn't have a federal government we could rely and even under the Obama administration they have a federal government, we can rely and say if you all don't do right here, there's going to be federal eyes on this, like we have in Decatur right now, like we've had under sister Kristen Clark, who is a civil rights lawyer herself a leader in our community and has been doing you know, tremendous work on the DJ. That's over the DOJ is going to be reversed now into almost the opposite of the work that she's been up to. And in part of that, what Trump has been describing is he wants to offer police even more immunity. We've been trying to find ways to overcome the qualified community that we enjoy. The qualified immunity that I think is a relic of the seventies. It was a judicially created doctrine that says officers should be free and municipality should be free from even prosecution of cases except for when they're blatant they violate some clear lying law. You know, something that's blatantly Obviously, it doesn't matter that they did the law. They had to know they were doing it in some clear lying way.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 4: And that is caused you know, a great multitude of cases to be dismissed before they even get to court. Uh. Under the new administrations, they're talking about going even harder, harder with that. What I'm particularly concerned, what I see happening already is that cut conservative governors are lining up with this ideology of almost complete immunity for law enforcement officers. So we see even cops who have been convicted like Eric devocan Air in Kansas, Missouri, there was another conviction of a police officer in Texas. Governor Keyhole has promised and that's Mike Keyhole and Missouri has promised to pardon Eric de vocan Air for the murder of Cameron lamb Uh. The governor of Texas has already began partnering officers has used brutal or deadly for us and being convicted by jury's uh. And so yeah, we're gonna I think we're going to see a new wave. We've been promised a new wave of law and order, and we've seen this kind of mantra before, uh, an increase.
Speaker 3: In military can I'll ask you a quick question, what do you think happens to what I forget the officer's name who was just convicted for Breonna Taylor, whatever his name is can't think of it at this moment, but it doesn't matter name.
Speaker 1: He shall remain faceless. But anyway, do you think.
Speaker 3: Because this is the FEDS, that now Trump can come in and part in that officer.
Speaker 4: I think Trump has the authority to come in and part in that officer. I think there are a lot of convictions or successes that we've had that are under question. Jackie Johnson goes to trial on February twenty first as the prosecutor who was responsible for covering up a Model Arberry's murder. I don't know how far that goes under new Trump administration.
Speaker 3: So you almost need these things to happen in the state because if they happen on a federal level, So you got to know how to do the three card Molly right, because you got to know where to put your pressure at. During the Obama, I mean, the Biden administration, we had to work the resources of the Department and Justice because in the states, for the most part, you're not going to get in most of the states, but some you can.
Speaker 1: But now we've got to.
Speaker 3: Go back to the state pressure because you're not going to have a Department of Justice, and so you're going to need to make sure that your states is locked in and that we deal with it before it even has to go to the federal level. If an officer violates, I guess I don't know, but it's civil rights. Is that something that even matters in the state, the civil rights violation?
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's civil rights protections in the states. But because your civil rights are protected by the federal Constitution, you're going to also bring them in federal court. So they should be protected on both levels. But you're right when the Feds aren't available. You know, one of the conservative mantras during this period of state rights, they want to give power back to the states. Unfortunately, in the court that generally means the Feds can't have this review of some of the racist actions that the judiciary actually takes either white jurys, jurors all white jury's, or you know, a very conservative bench. But there are ways to overcome that on the state level. I think that that's the new strategy under this administration.
Speaker 2: It's gonna be a rough one man. We're gonna gotta buckle up basically, So any other cases of things you want to discuss, because we know we got you gotta run and we love the fact that you came my brother. It's always good to be with you. This is one of the guys that's been on the front line with us. Like when we say that, when I talk about individuals and people that I know fight for our people, you one of the first names that always come. Tom. You know, you was out there with us with Brionna Taylor on the front lines making sure that we were safe and you was putting. You had skinning again. So I love I love you really for that. But just let us know anything else you want to know before you gotta go.
Speaker 4: Shouted a couple of names we just recognized five years since the murder of Cameron Lamb. His the officer who murdered Cameron Lamb in Kansas City five years ago. His name is Eric de Vaucanair. He's in prison today. It was a great success for us in twenty twenty one that is under threat of being overturned. So anybody with a voice of Missouri, everyone should be speaking out to Governor Mike Keyhole telling him not to pardon Eric de volcan there. And you know, we're still looking for justice for Steve Perkins Indicatur. It's pretty soon we have Andrew Lester's trout coming up. A lot of people don't know Andrew Lester's name, but Ralph Yarl was a sixteen year old in Missouri who rang the wrong doorbell. He has been saying that he wasn't competent to Stan Trout, and a judge a couple of weeks ago just determined that he was competent to stand Trout. He will stand Trout in February for shooting Ralph Yer. I want to see him go to prison. So those are the things I'm focusing on right now. And you know, continue to help work with you the people to do the work.
Speaker 3: I said, thank you. You are an honorary until Freedom leader. Appreciate and we appreciate you for coming by eternally married. We had a good time last night at a gala, the Metro Manhattan Gala, which is my Links chapter. And then all of a sudden, Lee disappeared.
Speaker 4: That's what But that's all right.
Speaker 3: Na, But that's okay. Go home, get on the phone, talk to your family.
Speaker 1: That's what you do.
Speaker 4: I love being in Harlem. It was a night to honor Harlem, and I had the chance to stay at the Renaissance Harlem, hotel as a big history mouse history major. I just love being in that community.
Speaker 1: It's a good time.
Speaker 3: My chapters, my chapter is Gala is absolutely the most fabulous of the entire like links linked them right, and and and and and and there's others. There's others that have very fabulous occasions. But Metro Manhattan, we do it.
Speaker 1: We do it big. What was the name of the place at the Atchipriani Wall Street?
Speaker 4: Wall Street where I left my overcoat?
Speaker 1: Did you get it back?
Speaker 4: Get?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 3: I don't know how you're going to do that. We should go get an ascendency.
Speaker 2: Thanks shout out to brother Attorney Lee Merit. You know, it's always good to get his perspective and his expertise when we talk about these cases, you know, because I woke up a little down, you know, just looking at this Jordan Nilly situation and Daniel Penny actually being acquitted of that. It just was It's like, it's such a thing, you like, so you're trying to tell me that you could just a regular citizen and just choke somebody, stop them from breathing, and there's no accountability because you thought they were Like I just don't understand, but why don't we have that kind of you know, Carblanc of Grace, I've never seen think you might do something I have never see. I will understand that if somebody can tell me where a black person literally took someone's life right because they thought nobody touched them, did anything, because they thought that they were going to do something and there was no accountability. I'm not saying that they should get the harshest charges. I'm not saying they do to go to jail forever, but this should be some level of accountability if you take a citizen's life. It just to me, it just I don't even understand it. But this is where we live at. This is a time when you know, unfortunately that's what happened. But once again shut out to Lee Marri.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was just gonna say.
Speaker 3: Lee mentioned that the reports said that Jordan nearly said he was willing to kill somebody or die or something like that. It felt like something like that. He also said he was hungry. He also said he wanted food and water, he was hungry, and he was tired.
Speaker 1: He also said those things.
Speaker 3: And it's funny that in this society, the one thing that he said around you know, wanting to kill himself.
Speaker 1: That got attention. That got attention.
Speaker 3: There was a response, I wanted to die whatever, kill kill whatever.
Speaker 1: He said.
Speaker 3: That got attention, and that was addressed by people, not just one person who choked him to death, but another person who helped to hold him down, right, because remember there was another guy there who's a Latino man who helped to hold him down. And then of course you have Jordan Neely who choked him to death. I mean, excuse me, Daniel Penny who choked Jordan nearly to death. So that got addressed. But how we addressed the other things he said, which is what has him in the train station in the first place, which is what has led to his mental health deterioration, and the deterioration of the mental health of people who even have houses, people who actually have somewhere to live, are dealing with the same crisis of I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, and I'm tired, and that doesn't get addressed. But he certainly was murdered. In my judgment, it is not just a miscarriage of justice. It is an injustice that will only spread because these people, these white folks, are being emboldened to believe that anything they do to us is just okay. And you know, I feel like the Mayor of New York City, Eric Adams, saying, you know, from the beginning, from day one, when the incident first happened, Eric was out of pocket. The mayor was completely out of pocket immediately, didn't even know what happened.
Speaker 1: But he has also criminalized people who are houseless.
Speaker 3: He has criminalized people and put the scarlets letter on the backs of some.
Speaker 1: I'm not one hundred percent against.
Speaker 3: The idea that we have to remove people from our streets who are living houseless, right. I believe that that is true, that we have to have some way of bringing these people in. What I want to see is what are the resources that we intend to offer these individuals, especially it has.
Speaker 1: To be a mental health weakening.
Speaker 3: Just to be houseless in general, to be a part of an unheard, un respected, untreated, I don't even know all the things. Just like they're like a people that don't exist. They're like invisible people. We see them, we step over them, we complain about them, but actually addressing the deep needs of people who are living in these situations or houseless individuals. I don't think anybody is doing the best job that we could do as a society to address that. So when we start talking about either arresting and or you know, rounding up people who are homeless and putting them somewhere, and we're not saying, well, before we even round people up, we're gonna have I don't know, ten weekends of asking people to volunteer their services. We're going out, We're feeding, we're going to do mental health checks, we're gonna talk, we're gonna do, We're gonna go out just like they have the rats. Are who's out there working in communities looking at what are the things that's causing the infestation in different communities In New York. We should be on a ten week go out work work together, not just city agencies, but regular people.
Speaker 1: Who have.
Speaker 3: A psychiatric backgrounds and you know, their doctors and therapists and people who can feed people, and people who can do intervention program and we should be out there trying to figure that out so that you don't have a Jordan Neely who comes on the train to say, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, and I'm ready to die, I'm ready to kill. We need to figure out how to get in front of that, and I just feel like, you know, we don't do enough. Something this right here represents for me something is wrong, right, Like Jordan nearly not receiving justice is just wrong.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and jordanillly not receiving the help he needed prior.
Speaker 3: To even which is the real injustice.
Speaker 2: Right, Like when you see someone like Jordan, and when I go on the train and I look at like you see the houseless individuals on there, and you do you see the levels of mental health Like I sit on trains, Like I told you, I was on the train one day and the guy was sitting across me and he was obviously dealing with levels of mental health, and he was talking, he was aggressive, and I didn't grab the man and choke him to death, right because I realized that if he was dealing with something right and this should and I think there should be, you know, mental health officials that work on the train.
Speaker 1: I think they have something. They have something.
Speaker 3: They do have something, but it's not like it's not it can just be better.
Speaker 1: And perhaps.
Speaker 3: They do have they have Yeah, they have programs where people are out there working one to one with police officers.
Speaker 1: They're on the trains.
Speaker 3: Even the mayor rides the train and they try to talk to people. But like I said, the robust nature of what's needed, right, they say all the time. If you want to know a man's priorities, look at where he spends his money. If the police budget is more than all the other agencies combined, basically, I think education might be one of the biggest budgets. But when we've looked in the past, we're talking six billion, maybe even more than that. Now that's going to policing. Right If you take a portion of that money for the militarized operation of policing, which we already know means that they show up for the most part, after some shit has already.
Speaker 1: Happened in your community.
Speaker 3: If we take a portion of that money and really double down on and invest in mental health services and addressing the needs of Again, it's not just houseless individuals, because mental.
Speaker 1: Health is going on.
Speaker 3: It's people who are living in someone's home right now, and the other people are afraid. The other people in the house are being tortured because there's a son or a father, or uncle or aunt or a sister or someone in the house who has a severe mental health issue. When they can get them to take their medicine, they're cool, but then other times they're not. I just told you the story about in my family, there's a man who was a chef for us during our family occasions in North Carolina. And you know, in fact, I just saw him in August, September whatever Labor Day.
Speaker 1: DoD Man.
Speaker 3: Amazing man, an older man, but he loved to have a good time and he was the best, the best on the grill, fit fried fish, whatever you want, you hire him. But he also was like a church going man. He has his wife, the two of them, I think they might have been choir members and deacons, like doing what they're supposed to be doing, good members of society. Their family member, it may have been their grandson, but it also could be a nephew. Had some mental health issues and has been dealing with it his entire life. His family has attempted to get him the type of help that he needs. When he's off his medicine, he's in the worst situation. But when he's on his medicine, he's still problematic. This guy is like, you know, everybody knows it. Family, everybody knows about the things that he's done in the past. I think I heard that he even harmed the dog. And generally, when you have somebody that's harming animals, it is an indication that they need some like real serious help.
Speaker 1: Right, So he's done those things.
Speaker 3: And just a few weeks ago when his grandparents uncle, let's just say grandparents for the point of the story, when they got home from church, ambushed them and shot them to death, to old people, shot them to death, took their vehicle, went and their money, and went to a hotel and was kind of chilling in the same town.
Speaker 1: He didn't even run.
Speaker 3: This goes to show you his mindset. He didn't even run one hundred miles away. He was in the vicinity and they found him. So this is so what I'm saying is he wasn't houseless. He lived somewhere.
Speaker 2: But this mental health. Yeah, mental health is a big issue man. Yeah. You know, my condolencens and apologies go out to Jordan Neeli's family. You know, it must be a hard day today to wake up and just see that no one will be held accountable for taking the life for your loved one.
Speaker 1: So terrible, terrible.
Speaker 2: So that brings me to my I don't get it today. So there's been a civil rights, a civil lawsuit filed against jay Z that claims that he, along with Puff, allegedly violated a thirteen year old girl. And you know, and and Jay's response was immediately like, this is not what you want to deal with it, like, we don't do stuff like that. We help children and we protect children here and you're gonna find out. So he adamantly has denied. But what I don't get right, And I'm all for justice. I'm all for if a woman was violated, if anybody was if anybody was violated, if you did something, you need to be held accountable. Like there's no doubt in my mind if these things are true, they need to be. But at this point for me, right just looking at what's going on with Puff, they're over. They're hundreds of these lawsuits being filed right and the era that we're in right now, once the lawsuit is filed, ninety percent of people were in what you did it? Anyway before Jay was his name was even in anything, there was people wishing it all. Yeah, yeah, I know, Jay, He's not what protects anybody from someone just filing the lawsuit? Right, What is the process? What is after you? After you decide that you you fil in the lawsuit that allegedly happened twenty four years ago, and not saying it didn't, not saying it did. Right, But once this gets into the social media, once it gets into the media, once it gets picked up, whether it's true, whether it's false, what happens to the individual? Like, how how do you how do us as males, especially males, protect ourself against something like this? But what is what is the what is the mechanism that we're supposed to use to protect ourself if somebody decides, if you're a billionaire and someone decides that they're gonna file file a civil suit against you, what is how do you protect yourself? What are you supposed to do? Like, what are you supposed to do if you don't say nothing? Right? If you decide you know that you you want it to go away? You know if you say that you you're trying to settle out of court. It's too much.
Speaker 1: You and.
Speaker 3: Lee Marriages told us off camera that it would be called a nuisance.
Speaker 2: You can't do that because that means.
Speaker 3: That you media online people.
Speaker 2: Exactly and now once you're now puff is dealing with all this stuff already, so now you attach your name to that, so now you got to deal with it, whether it's true or not. Like what what what are we supposed to do in this moment? I just don't know because I'm just confused at because every day it's just a new it's just a new this, and it's a new that. What I don't get is, as a man in this society, in the social media society, how do you protect yourself against allegations against a lawsuit, whether it's true, if it's not true, if it's not true, and someone decides that they that you have money and you and they want to sue you, what do we do to protect ourselves? Men like I don't understand. I don't get it because now and I don't even see their allegations, right, their allegations are not saying they're false, and I saying, but there's nothing to completely tie anything to anything. If you was in a if you happen to be in a party that I was fifteen years ago, and they could prove that you was in a party, then now they could make an allegation that said I just I could have never even tested you I probably don't even know who you are, right, and most of these lawyers will take the case, especially because what's going on with you know, Puff right now, and if you attach anything to Puff right now, everybody assumes that it's true. So how are people supposed to protect themselves in this moment?
Speaker 3: Well, I want to say that first off, it's not only just we have to really zoom ourselves out. And know, I'm not saying Bill Cosby was buying NBC. That's not what I'm talking about out. I'm saying that it's more than just people with allegations because you have money, because you can have no money, and if it has been decided that you were either a problem or that it is time to shut you down, there can be allegations and a concerted effort to destroy your reputation. So let's just make sure we put that on the wall so that it's not just about individual people, but there is an actual culture of attempting to destroy not just men but women also, but just different ways in which they come at us.
Speaker 1: They call you you could be a.
Speaker 3: One day racist or anti Semitic or whatever, and then that has the ability to ruin your reputation.
Speaker 1: Reputation.
Speaker 3: Then on the other side, sexual or excuse me, on the other side, violations. So there's so many stealing money from an organization, there's so many things that can come at different individuals who are seen to be either too powerful or too problematic, or too loud or too whatever.
Speaker 1: So that's one thing.
Speaker 3: On the other hand, though, there are real victims out here who and there has been a culture, a culture that's existed of people being able to get away with violating young people and women and even men, which by the way, that's the untold story that there are many men who've been violated and that never gets dealt with because of again a culture of keep it to yourself, don't talk about it, family business, or a man should never show the weakness of vulnerability of these things happening to him. So you have a lot of that, and that culture exists, and I think what we're seeing right now is an attempt to right side it right, and it puts a lot of people in the cross. Here is what I mean by that is, as soon as you say you might soign and you say that today you know someone from production touched you the wrong way and you feel uncomfortable because people are so ready to fight against these things, this norm that has let folks just be your story never gets told or you not believe everybody's like, Yep, it happened. It happened because we're in the process of like fighting against an old way of existing that has to change now.
Speaker 2: But what I'm when I hear what you're saying, but you don't think that this becomes even more Danma, Well, no I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that it's not dangerous. It's what I'm just trying to.
Speaker 2: Say, are we going to replace one thing that we figured absolutely with something that.
Speaker 3: And I agree with you one hundred percent, And I'm not saying that it's right. I'm saying that people need to understand the moment that we're in and why so many people immediately jump to like yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, because we're so used to this culture existing where you can't you can't even tell your story because you get looked that crazy about why you would even try to disrupt the life of somebody who's a public figure. And so you got so many people and then you, of course you got your third layer, which is just haters that just love like they they have been trying their best to bring jay Z into this situation or find something on him that makes him to be this big, bad wolf.
Speaker 1: I hear it all the time. People say to.
Speaker 3: Me, Oh, yeah, y'all was working with rock Nation, rock Nation. I mean Tory Lane's father, rock Nation did it? Everybody rock Nation Jay. And I think a part of it is that Jay and Beyonce don't speak much to anybody about anything, and so that makes people upset too, because they want you to put yourself in the media all the time so they can beat up on you, gash you up, then drag you down like this is what they want to do. And when you don't talk much or you don't make yourself vulnerable in that way, people be grabbing that straws looking for anything. So anytime somebody says Jay did it, you're gonna have all these people who automatically jump on it. And that just goes along with the territory and it happens to you on a different level.
Speaker 1: I see it all the time.
Speaker 3: As soon as you say good morning on your social media and they go to work, Oh, your cab driver and what else? They they all kinds of things. Where's the money from? BLM whatever. They do it all the time. So there is a culture out there of two things. People who really want to see victims get the support that they deserve, and then people who are just haters and they just have nothing else to do with their time except to try to tear other people down. But then there's this other piece when you talk about the protections and see Jay is in a place where they're gonna fight until the last day. If you never heard him speak, you gonna hear him speak now because he's not about to let people play with his name at all.
Speaker 1: And I hope that what.
Speaker 3: Is being said, I hope that half of the stuff, in more than half. I hope that ninety percent of the things that they're saying about Puff is not true, that it's unfounded or whatever. I really pray and hope that, because it's hard when you know these people and you sit with them, you love them, and you looking at them and it's like, damn, you could have done this.
Speaker 1: It's crazy.
Speaker 3: So I hope that these things are not true. But at the same time, they have the resources to fight. They have the resources to fight, they have the resources to have the lawyers to go back and forth and they.
Speaker 1: Are going to and we know for sure that Jay is gonna be on.
Speaker 3: Ten fighting against allegations from twenty four years ago that he did something to a thirteen year old child. Other people don't have the same resources, and that it does mean.
Speaker 1: It means that.
Speaker 3: Number one, you it puts you at a disadvantage, but it also means, in my judgment, that you have to be very careful where you are, who you're with, and what you're engaged in. You have to be very careful because, like you said, just being in the room, what happened on Love and Hip Hop, the girl said, Oh, you bought a drink for me at the bar Tim in DC's and it's like, what the hell are you talking about? All of this ruckets has been caused over I bought a drink from you?
Speaker 1: And the thing, so wouldn't you go to the bar? What do you do?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 3: But but but the assumption or the what was built out what played out in that moment is as if when he went to the bar and bought the drink, he was also in there and doing something else that's in appropriate. And so that's what to your point, this is why Denzel Washington said a certain time of night, it's time for you to go home, because once the party energy shifts, if you're there, you and you on the camera. Nowadays, you don't even doesn't even have to be proof that you did the thing you just needed.
Speaker 1: They just need to prove you was in the room.
Speaker 3: So os I would say that you have to be very mindful of who you are with, where you are, who's around, because you never know when just being in a certain space can have you wrapped up in something that has absolutely nothing.
Speaker 1: To do with you. So we'll see.
Speaker 3: I mean, you know, we never want to be on this show or in our lives those two say what someone did or didn't do. I wasn't there twenty four years ago to see whether or not this a violation happened or not.
Speaker 1: I was not there.
Speaker 3: What I do know is that in my time of being around and dealing very closely with the culture of like how jay Z operates, just seeing him being around him, it is very difficult for me to believe that he did something to abuse a child's That's like it's stretching far.
Speaker 1: And so I'm with him. You got to prove this and that's it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, you know it's just it's just disheartening, like every day just keep on here and and it's more disheartening just to see that people immediately just convict you, like you just you go to these pages and you look on it and you be like, damn, it's hundreds of people just like yeah, yeah, get them, get them, take them, take them down. They need to go do this, this and this. Just like, how did we get to a culture where we celebrate the demise of everything like we watched, we celebrated these people, you know, like jay Z said it himself, he said they're good. He said, they good night you with the same knife that they knight you, the sword that they knight you with. So it's like they build you up. They watch you come from the bottom. They want to see you become successful, and they'll be like yeah, they patter in their life after you and they're like, yo, he did this and he did this, and then they can't wait to see you fall. And it's like it's crazy. It's like it's a real it's a real harsh reality that we're in times where that's celebrated, where people with the people who want to see you fall from grace have the biggest voices, like they have the loudest voice, they got the biggest megaphones. You go on Instagram, you go on YouTube, and they can't wait. It's millions of people. They got millions of followers and they just talking about how they can't wait to see you go down and they know you did this and they don't know shit, and they got millions of people that's following them that can't that's feeding off that energy. They tune in every day to just hear the negativity about you and hear how something's wrong about you and how you do is something wrong. It's that shit. Is is so weird to me because I've never been that type of individual. I don't want to see nobody lose. I don't want to see anybody, you know, fall, I don't want to do that. So seeing knowing that there's a world not even just there's a world full of people, yeah, that thrive off that shit, it's unbelievable to me.
Speaker 3: It's true, man, one hundred percent, one hundred percent. Trust me, as you know, I've been there, I've dealt with it, and it is very, very, very very and you get thrown into stuff that ain't even about you again, because I don't. I never been I've never seen the bank account for BLM. I never been to the BLM office. I never stayed in the houses that they speak of. I don't know anything about the business of BLM except what I have been told by asking individuals who do know, and you know, particularly the three sisters who led that work put you, Trees, Opal and Alicia, you know, other than you know what information I was able to gather from them. I ain't never been there, but I get accused and positioned with that all the time.
Speaker 2: Even when you look at that situation, right, even when you're accused of And once again, I don't know anything.
Speaker 3: Now, we do know some stuff, and we know that multiple allegations against them are false.
Speaker 2: That's what I'm saying. I know that because I know that. But as far as the details of when it was there, and who was there and where money, those are things that I learned and I did research on, but I wasn't personally there to be able to speak on behalf of it. Right. But what I know is this, right, I know we have a sitting president that's been convicted of crimes that millions of people are telling you is bullshit, right, And I also know that Black Lives Matter has never been charged with a crime. Where everybody's telling you that they did something. Millions what millions of people are telling you that they did something. They never been charged with nothing, never convicted or nothing, And people are telling you that they the worst people in the world. But we got a president that's been charged, convicted, settled out of court, paid money, all type of shit, and they tell you it's all bullshit. Go figure man. That brings us to the end of another episode the TMI. We appreciate y'all, Thank you for tuning in, Thank you for always following us. If you have any guests you want to see, if you have any topics, please hit us up on Instagram, tm I Underscore Show, follow us and subscribe to our YouTube channel, TMI Show PC. Please follow. We give we have exclusives. We have premiers every Sunday right now, but we're gonna probably change them to a different day, but right now every Sunday, So we want you to tune in to the video version of TMI on YouTube TMI Show PC. We love you you because I am very adamant about this right this is my adamant so I love y'all. Make sure that you'll tune in, continue to follow us. I'm not gonna always be right. Tamika D. Mallories and I could always be wrong, but we will both always and I mean always, be authentic. That's how we own it.