Speaker 1: One of the most admired people in the world is doctor Jane Goodall. About sixty years ago, she moved to Africa to study chimpanzees and what she learned revolutionize our understanding of what non humans can do. Today, she's devoting herself to inspiring young people around the world to do much more to protect the climate and the environment for animals in Africa and all over the world. I had a chance to sit down with doctor Jane Goodall recently and learned firsthand why this woman eighty nine years old is still so admired and dedicated to helping make the planet a better place. So thank you very much for coming here, and we're going to go through a lot of what you've done and the things that made you make you so popular. On your last name that kind of describes everything good All. So you ever thought of changing the good for All because you're doing so many other things or great All?
Speaker 2: Or do we do have on our website Good for All News, which is because I truly believe that the media we need to know the doom and the gloom. We do, but why don't they give more time to the amazing people, wonderful projects around the world that you read and people will say, wow, they did that. Well, we could do it too.
Speaker 1: Okay, well you're inspired a lot of people, no doubt a lot of people here I've read about what you've done. Let's go through how this came about. The outset. So you grew up in London or in England, England, England, and when you're one year old you read a you were given a book or something about chimpanzees. Is that true work?
Speaker 2: It was my father, who I really didn't know because it was just before World War two and he joined out as soon as war was declared. But he gave me a stuff Chimpanzee Jubilee. He was the name for the first chimpanzee born in the London Zoo and the jubilee of Queen George and Mary, I suppose, and I took him everywhere with me. But people have the misapprehension that because of that I studied chimpanzees. Wasn't true. The chimpanzee interests began, you know, I finally saved up money. I had to be a waitress. We had no money in my family and we couldn't even afford university. So I did this boring old secretarial course. Then I got invited to Kenya by a school friend, and so I worked as a waitress to save up the fair. And so I would have studied any animal. I was ten years old when my dream was I'll go to Africa, live with wild animals and write books about them. Why because I was in love with Tarzan.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, you did that at ten years old. So you told your mother you'd like to go to Africa and see the chimpanzees. And what did she say?
Speaker 2: Not the and thees. I would have studied anything.
Speaker 1: Well, what did your mother say to anything? Did she did? Think?
Speaker 2: Your mother I to attribute a great deal of who I am and what I've done to the wise way that she brought me up. She was supported. So when I said I wanted to go to Africa, everybody laughed at me. How will you do that? Africa's far away, you don't have money, it's dangerous, and you're just a girl. Remember this is going back seventy years now that my mother said, if you really want to do this, you're going to have to work really hard, take advantage of every opportunity, and if you don't give up, hopefully find a way.
Speaker 1: So you save your money and you went and you told your parents you're really going to Africa. They didn't say, well, that was nice to talk about it, but you really can't do it. They really didn't care if you went. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Well my father was out of it. He was still you know a way they divorced and that was my mother and you know, she just said, well, stick with it if you want to do it. And do you know how many people have written to me and said, Jane, I want to thank you because you did it, I can do it too.
Speaker 1: Okay, So you did this at the age of twenty three, you go to How did you pick which part of Africa? How did you get to Tanzania for example?
Speaker 2: Well, because my friend's parents had bought a farm in Kenya, and while I was there, I met the famous paleontologist Lewis Leiki and he gave me this opportunity to go and study not just any animal, but the one most like us, chimpanzee. I would have studied a mouse if I could be out in the Africa.
Speaker 1: So Lewis Leaky was the famous paleontologist who more or less came up with the theory that humans pretty much evolved out of southern Africa. Yeah, and he was famous for that. And did you get to know him or.
Speaker 2: A very well? Because you know, I told you I had to do that boring secretarial cause when I heard about Louis LeKi and went to see him, his secretary had just left. He needed a secretary there, I was. So I'm right now surrounded by people who can answer all my questions about the animals and the birds and everything.
Speaker 1: And so at one point, you said I really want to go live with the chimpanzees.
Speaker 2: No I didn't.
Speaker 1: Okay, as I said, you didn't say that, right, What did you say?
Speaker 2: I told him I really wanted to study animals, okay, And for some reason, although I hadn't been to college, he believed that I could do what he'd been looking for someone for ten years. He told me to go and study not just any animal, but our closest living relatives, the chimpanzees.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he said, okay. Eventually, how long had you worked for him before he said you could do this? A year? A year? So he said, okay, you're going to do this. But did he just give you a guidance or to tell you where to go?
Speaker 2: Or no, he didn't have money, so it took him a year to get the money. Tanzania with the chimps were and are was still part of the British Protectorate and the authorities. The British authorities said, we won't take responsibility for this young girl. But Leaky never gave up sewing me and they said, yes, but she can't come alone. So who volunteered that same amazing supportive mother.
Speaker 1: Your mother came with you to Africa to study the chimpanzees.
Speaker 2: Well, she didn't do the study. She looked off to the camp.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, So when eventually you do get there, just to live with the chimpanzees, you're supposed to live with them, is that right?
Speaker 2: Live with them and learn from them.
Speaker 1: But do you get a tent or something?
Speaker 2: Or a tent?
Speaker 1: You had a tent? So was it? Were they dangerous? I mean, weren't you worried they might attack you?
Speaker 2: Well, you know, for me, we had an old ex army tent, Mam and I between us, no nice sown in ground sheet and mosquito windows, nothing like that. And I would go happily up into the mountains every morning for doing my dream. Mom would be left in the camp, and if you wanted air in that tent, you rolled up the side flaps and tied them with tape and in came air, but also scorpions, spiders, snakes, which I didn't mind about. But poor Mom.
Speaker 1: I mean, so you set up, you set up a tent, and how did you engage the chimpanzees? How did you kind of get close to them? How did you not worry about their attacking you? How did you befriend them.
Speaker 2: With great difficulty? For four months? I remember I had sick money for six months. For four of those months, they ran away as soon as they saw me. And you know, I knew, given time that I could win that trust. But did I have the time? The days turned to weeks, ton to months, and it was wonderful because what Mom did. She boosted my morality, said, Jane, you found that peak, and with your binoculars you seeing how chimps wander around by themselves in small groups, big groups when there's a new food available. You're learning about the calls they make, the foods they eat, how they make nests at night, and so she really helped to boost When we're all all.
Speaker 1: Right, so you weren't trained as a scientist, so you used your powers of observation to see what they were doing.
Speaker 2: Yes, and my in bore love of animals, my curiosity, my fascination. Leaky told me nothing. He never even visited Gombe.
Speaker 1: So when you go to see the chimpanzees, you first engage them. Do you give him some food or something to kind of narrow them? No?
Speaker 2: I just tried to get them used to me, and eventually, and it was very sad. It was just two weeks after Mum left that I saw this one famous chimpanzee, very handsome. I called him David Grabiad. It was the first one to lose his fear. And on this special day I saw him using grass stems to fish termis from their nest.
Speaker 1: Okay, does it get lonely out there? Just you and the champanzees. There's no cell phones, there's no anything. You you get lonely.
Speaker 2: We have lap computers at that time, So lonely all day?
Speaker 1: What did you do all they just look at the champanzees, try to get close to them.
Speaker 2: Tried to get close when possible. I watched some of my binoculars. Sometimes I stayed out if they nested, I would go back to have supper with Mum. Then I would go back up so that I could be near them in the morning. And I was scared of leopards. Back then, we had leopards at Gombi, and I would hear them at night when I was up there alone with my little blanket, and I would hear the leopards hunting sound, and I think, pull the blanket over my head. O.
Speaker 1: Did you ever say to yourself, how did I get myself into this? Or do you always say I'm glad I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: No, I was following my dream. I was They were the best days of my life.
Speaker 1: So eventually you go back to doctor Leaky and you give them a report on what you've learned. And in that report you kind of changed the perception around the world of chimpanzees because people thought at that time, as I understand it, that chimpanzees are not capable of making tools. Only humans could do that, right, And you discovered they make tools for what purpose?
Speaker 2: Fishing for termites, crumpling leaves to get water from a hollow in a tree that they can't reach with their lips.
Speaker 1: Did you ever eat the termites yourself. Are they tasty or well I had.
Speaker 2: To eat one just to say I'd done so.
Speaker 1: So after you gave your report to doctor Leaky, he I guess sent it to somebody and people said, how can this woman not trained as a scientist come up with a discovery that we famous scientists didn't know about? Is that the essence of the problem.
Speaker 2: They were keep the hurrogans, most of them, and you know, they were saying things like, well, she's just a girl, she's straight out from England. Why should we believe her. One of them even said maybe she taught the chimps to use tools, which as they were running away at the time with them.
Speaker 1: So eventually National Geographic decides to get a photographer to come over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the National Geographic came after a Leaky approached them and they said, we will fund James resort after the six months money.
Speaker 1: Now the National Geographic came over and was able to get people to interested in this because of what reason?
Speaker 2: This is what the scientist said. The scientist said, oh, well, you know, the geographics giving her money because they can put her on the cover because she's got nice legs. So okay, if that would happen today, there'd be a lawsuit back then. I just thought, well, I mean there was a different world back then, and I thought, well, if my legs have got me the money to do what I want to do, which is buddy win, thank you legs.
Speaker 1: So well. Nasa Jay GRapi sent the photographer over, they took the pictures. It became a famous article and then you became pretty well known. Did you decide to go back to England and do something else then get your PhD? Or no?
Speaker 2: Leaky wrote to me and said I picked you because you had not been to university and your brain wasn't wasn't you know, sutted up with the very arrogant way scientists treated animals back then as mere things. But he said, now I want you to be to be respected by other scientists, so you must get a degree. But we don't have time for an undergraduate degree. I've got you a place in Cambridge University in England to do a PhD intology. Well, I didn't know what ethology means, so Budy and behavior, so you.
Speaker 1: Skip the undergraduate part and you got a PhD.
Speaker 2: And I was very very nervous. You can imagine I'd never been to college, and just imagine what I felt like when I was told by the scientists. Well, first of all, you shouldn't give them the chimpanzee names. It's if you're a proper silenist, you give them numbers. Then they said you can't talk about their personalities, their minds, or their emotions. Those are unique to us. They also said you must not have empathy with your subjects, because a good scientist is objective and if you have empathy, you can't be objective, which is rubbish.
Speaker 1: So you got your PhD. Did you say now I'm going to teach at Cambridge or decide to go back to Africa? Oh?
Speaker 2: I was going back in between because I was still learning. We're still learning after sixty three years.
Speaker 1: Chimpionzees, you discovered, actually are not quite as nice as you wanted them to be. They kill each other from time to time. Is that right?
Speaker 2: They have? The males are territorial, and if they see an individual from a neighboring community, communities are gonna be about fifty and that that individual will probably die.
Speaker 1: And when you, let's say, go away, go back to England, come back, they recognize you. You Yeah, And how did they befriend you when you come back and they like you, do they bring you a gift or they bring you something.
Speaker 2: I never wanted that kind of relationship dieing Fossy with the gorillas. She did, but I wanted to, like looking through a window, I wanted to watch the behavior as it is without me being in the picture.
Speaker 1: Hey, so for many years you're living in Africa, no electricity, no cell phones, no television, none of the important things you need in life to get by, right.
Speaker 2: No, No, they're not important at all.
Speaker 1: Okay, So, so like, obviously they can talk to each other, but is it possible that that humans can convey some type of language to chimpanzees or teach them how to add wasn't that whatever you were working on at one point, teaching them how to addition or words? And how did that work? Did they go?
Speaker 2: Well? I never have. But chimpanzees have been taught sign language, and they can learn up to about seven hundred words that deaf people use, and from that you can learn fascinating things like, for example, some chimpanzees love to paint or draw. Not all of them, and these are captive ones, of course, but one young chimpanzee she was four years old, and she used to film her page with lovely lines of different colors, and on this occasion she made a drawing like that, and so her teacher handed the paperback and signed finish, so that Mpanzee looked at it and handed it back and said finished. And so this went on about two times, and then the teacher had the brains to say what is it? And the chimpanzee signed back a bull. Well, a human if doing a bull would do a bull, right, what's the chimp done? The bulbs? And that gives you a whole new feeling of looking at the world through the eyes of a chimp. She's doing the movement?
Speaker 1: Wow. So why do you think people are so fascinated by what you have achieved in your life? I mean, when you were doing this, you didn't do this for a world to claim you were doing it because you're interested in it. But it turns out the world is fascinated by what you've done with your life. Why do you think that is? Is that people love chimpanzees or like the dedication you've shown, or they just admire your courage to do this. Why do you think you're so beloved?
Speaker 2: I think you should ask somebody else. I don't know. That's okay.
Speaker 1: We're here for.
Speaker 2: You know, I mean, yeah, yeah, I mean some people are fascinated by the chimp's basically children. Some people love it that I was a woman. I think of myself as a human. I don't care about the male female bit.
Speaker 1: Really Okay, so you think a man could have done this better than you did this?
Speaker 2: No, well, there are amazing male people study apes. But it just happened. It was me.
Speaker 1: What would you like young girls to learn about what they can do? And how would you suggest they follow what you've done?
Speaker 2: Well, I would say that they all should be told what my mother told me. If there's something you really want to do, then you have to work really hard, take advantage of every opportunity, and if you don't give up, hopefully you find a way. But for all of us, it's the main message of roots and shoes, which, by the way, I didn't tell you. It's now in sixty eight countries around the world we have ambush. We had members in kindergarten, even a few in preschool, but kindergarten, university and more and more adults like the staff of a big corporation like senior citizens. And the main message is every single one of us makes some impact on the planet every single day, and we get to choose what impact do we make.
Speaker 1: So have you ever been to Washington, DC? Much? If you go there much?
Speaker 2: Oh, I've done so much love being there, a fine meeting with right now, I haven't been doing any lo bit.
Speaker 1: So do you find meeting with members of Congress uplifting her?
Speaker 2: Not so much defense who I meet?
Speaker 1: Most of your life you devoted to the study of chimpanzees to make sure that they're better understood and better appreciate it. But in recent years at the institute, the Jane Goodall Institute, and what is that design.
Speaker 2: To do well? That started in nineteen seventy seven, when by then I had a little research station and four of my students were kidnapped and everything shut down, and so some friends of mine said, well, let's start an institute so that this research can carry on. Bless them. So that was nineteen seventy seven, and it was set up to study, conserve chimpanzees and other animals and educate and it's developed since then. So it's you know, we've got twenty seven Jane Goodall institutes around the world. And then I realized at some point that people living the African people living in and around chimpanzee habitats right across Africa were struggling to vibe. There was crippling poverty, lack of health and education, moving deeper into the forest, being exposed to diseases like ebola and the HIV from the chimpanzees and vice versa. And I suddenly it hit me. If we don't help these people to find ways of making a living without destroying their environment, we can't conservation will work.
Speaker 1: So you've devoted a large part of the Good All Institute to climate change and conservation. Is that right?
Speaker 2: Yes? Absolutely? Well right now? I mean, you know we face these two existential threats, don't we, Climate change, which has changed where the patterns all around the world. We had the flooding yesterday, you know, day before years today, and then loss of biodiversity. And what people don't realize we are not the only part of the natural world, even though with our cell phone and virtual reality we feel divorced from nature, but we depend on it for food, water, clothing, everything. But what we depend on is healthy ecosystems and an ecosystem is this magical mix of plants and animals, each one with a role to play. So if you think of it as a beautiful tapestry, every time a species goes from that tapestry, it's like pulling a thread until the tapestry hangs in tatus and then the ecosystem will collapse. And it's happening.
Speaker 1: You have a fairly exhausting schedule. You're going from event to event, But how frequently do you get back to Africa every couple of weeks. You're back there now twice.
Speaker 2: A year because my family is there, partly because I need to go to Goombi, but we also have a big sanctuary for orphan chims in Congo. We have another one in South Africa. There's one that we basically are in Bolb within Uganda, and I need to go back. I need to, you know, give support to the stuff there Gombe. I go back, and luckily my family, my grandchildren can come with me, So it's time.
Speaker 1: But if you go back to Gombe now and you want to look for some chimpanzees, would you find some that you already knew you and would they recognize you?
Speaker 2: Still there is just one mother and her daughter that I knew. And you know, since I only go back like three or four days at gonna be at a time, I don't know the new ones. I don't know the children and the young ones, but Gremlin I knew intimately.
Speaker 1: You are public information. Eighty nine years old, is that right?
Speaker 2: Eighty eight nine?
Speaker 1: Yeah, eighty nine. Okay. It's a lot of people when they turn eighty nine, they want to kind of chill out a little bit and relax, maybe spend time with the grandkids or something, great grandkids. You're not slowing down any at all. You're not. You're sitting on the beach anywhere, going to Palm Beach or something.
Speaker 2: Well, how can I because you know this may sound weird to you, but I truly feel that I was put on this planet with a mission, and right now, the mission is to give people hope, because if you don't have hope, you give up, you become up a petic and do nothing, and then we're doomed, if our young people, we're doomed. So you know, Okay, So I don't know how many years I have left, but when I was young, I had this time, and now I'm coming up towards whenever the end is. Could be one year, could be five years, could be ten, could be twenty. I don't know, but I'm lifting closer, and so I have to speed up because there is so much I still have to do.
Speaker 1: Thanks for listening to hear more of my interviews. You can subscribe and download my podcast on Spotify, Apple, or wherever you listen