Speaker 1: Welcome everyone to this edition of Amy and TJ.
Speaker 2: It's Friday, October twenty fourth, and this week there is life imitating art in the middle of making art. But if you are a fan of the show Ghost Adventures, this week's episode is actually really scary, as in real life scary. The latest episode of Ghost Adventure shows the moment when one of it stars, Aaron Goodman, receives a call from police while he's in the middle of filming this week's episode that's called Hollydale Asylum of Hell and TJ. You said you remember hearing about reading about this story as it happened earlier this year.
Speaker 3: Oh, yeah, this has been going on for a while. A lot of people will be familiar. But I mean a lot of people are into true crime these days. They're all over the place. And frankly, one of your I say, you're with all of us. Well, your favorite most intrigue and captivating episodes you can see is when there's a murder for hire plot and there's that behind the scenes video, the cop videos. They're just intriguing stories. But we got a guy that now a lot of people are familiar with is caught up in this and yeah, this week we saw saw on video. I guess this is an extra little nugget in detail, but it's the first time we're seeing it, that's right.
Speaker 2: So while Aaron was there in the middle of a filming of a haunted place, a haunted asylum, he then gets a call from hell literally and he says he will not be watching this week's newest episode of Ghost Adventures because, yes, while his team was researching the haunting and the history of this location, he's now finding out that something was going on in his own home that he had no idea what was happening. And we see the moment when Goodwin learns that police are at his house. He's actually getting a FaceTime call from police because they were arresting his wife in an alleged plot to kill him.
Speaker 4: What was the motive? She just didn't want a divorce.
Speaker 2: She just didn't want a divorce, and she actually asks we'll get into her text messages back and forth with she was actually conversing with and communicating with an inmate in a Florida prison and she basically asked him, I a bad person for wanting to kill my husband rather than divorce him. The answer is yes, and if you have to ask why would you ask an inmate?
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of those details are bizarre. Again, she's already here. Again, you're going to go through the story there. But the case itself has for the most part been resolved. Yes, but it's back in the headlines this week because of this new episode. I mean, I don't know if they promoted it, and I didn't know if we knew weeks ago or months ago that this was coming.
Speaker 4: But it threw me to see the headline that they kept us in there.
Speaker 1: That absolutely threw me as well.
Speaker 2: And I hadn't been keeping up with I'm familiar with this TV show And by the way, it's a hit TV series on Discovery Plus Ghost Adventures. It's been on the air since two thousand and eight, so for almost twenty years. And this is a team that researches the locations the history of local ghost stories or alleged hauntings, and then they lock themselves inside whatever that location is, this historically haunted place, and they use equipment overnight to try and capture evidence like audio recordings, some sort of visual phenomenon. They use technical equipment to try and capture or show ghosts. So these are folks who've been doing this successfully and so many people love Aaron Goodwin and love the show, and we're just appalled to hear that this could have been happening. But this is what viewers saw this week, and if you haven't seen it, definitely worth a tune in. But literally they're filming and Goodwin says, dude, and then says, bro, the police ri at my house. He goes outside to take the call and they freeze the video and the host, Zach Began, says, at this point, we will will not be showing any further footage. But it is at this moment that Aaron receives a call from the police that his wife has been arrested and charged with conspiracy to commit murder by hiring a hitman to have Aarin killed. That is an someone who deals with the unimaginable and the supernatural. That probably was the most surreal thing he could have ever experienced in his life.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and again it was in the moment is his head was someone not that you're ever being in the right headspace to receive that kind of news, but given where he was and what he was going through, cameras or rolling and looking at him and that's not I mean, I don't know how you could get that message and not be surprised. I don't know you're ever going to get it. Say yeah, this reads, it's all the writing on the wall. Things weren't going well, and I'm now the person. You've shared how long they've been married.
Speaker 1: They got married in twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: Two, Okay, so not that long. Don't know how long they've been together. But still you're somebody you decide you're going to marry. You don't imagine that person's going to try kill you.
Speaker 2: No, And it's shocking to know, maybe even sometimes that someone wants to divorce you or has fallen out of love with you.
Speaker 1: That's shocking enough.
Speaker 2: But to go ahead and skip those steps and go straight to murder is fairly unthinkable. But yes, Victoria was arrested that day on solicitation to commit murder and conspiring to commit murder. And they found They say they uncovered the plot because of texts and Facebook messages with this Florida inmate. His name is Grant a Motto, and she said, I want to leave my marriage.
Speaker 1: I want to.
Speaker 2: Plan an end to Aaron's existence. And so then here's the really chilling part. As he's standing there filming, police are reading about information she has given this inmate about where he is filming, like his filming schedule. Within the messages, she actually wrote this, he's asleep right now in the hotel room. I need to know what's going on. Can I get an update?
Speaker 1: Was it done?
Speaker 4: Okay? And how did this work? The inmate?
Speaker 3: She's communicating with somebody who's in prison, who is then finding somebody for her right, so correct.
Speaker 4: I don't know how she thought.
Speaker 3: And again she's communicating not on some signal app you know, the one that used the Pentagon or some other secure channel. She's just Facebook messaging this guy.
Speaker 4: Yes, anything, nobody's going.
Speaker 1: To find that, okay.
Speaker 2: And you want to know how she even found this inmate?
Speaker 3: She was watching TV like the rest of us, watching some true crime show and not he looks like a good one. I never thought of using it as a recruiting tool, but she apparently did.
Speaker 2: That was a jaw dropping detail for me to read that, yes, she actually admitted to detectives while she was being interviewed before her arrest that she.
Speaker 1: Had become aware of the Florida inmate.
Speaker 2: They were confronting her with, hey, we know you've been communicating with his inmate. How did you meet him through a true crime documentary? And began writing to him.
Speaker 4: How much of this I mean? I hear that, I mean this.
Speaker 3: Some of the details are unbelievable. Criminals aren't smart. But you just wonder how somebody gets to this point of I mean, yes, desperation is one thing, stupidity is another.
Speaker 4: But why what is going on?
Speaker 3: And we watch these true crime stories all the time, and yes, Snapped is one of our favorites and has everything to do with one spouse killing another woman killing somebody for the most part, how you get to that point? Why divorce is not an option for a lot of people.
Speaker 2: It's bizarre to me though, because she explained at the time of her messages to this inmate, she said that she and Aaron were going through problems in their marriage.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's call a marriage that's yes, show me a marriage that hasn't had problems.
Speaker 4: George Clooney, and didn't they say?
Speaker 2: I forgot?
Speaker 1: They never fight and they live at Lake Cuomo. Okay.
Speaker 2: But she then also told the inmate she described herself as being lonely and so then she said she began connecting with him. So I'm not sure if there was some sort of romance element to her connection with this inmate, but yeah, she pretty quickly went from connecting with his inmate talking about how she didn't feel connected to her husband to suddenly saying, hey, I'd like to murder my husband.
Speaker 1: That seems like a major leap, just.
Speaker 3: A short just one small step for miss Scotland's good way.
Speaker 2: I should say that is so concerning, But you're right, we do see this all the time in true true crime stories. Anyway, if she actually was a true crime fan, she should know that these never end.
Speaker 3: Well, you know, this is very that's a very good point there is. You don't learn when you watch true crime shows how to commit a murder or how to commit a crime, or how to get away with it. You learn you are not going to get away with it. You just are not in these steps she's leaving this kind of true. I don't know what was going on with her, what she was thinking, but this is I don't know, there's something I don't know. I miss something to the story. Yeah, she's going to jail. How long it's a thirty six to ninety months.
Speaker 4: Correct.
Speaker 2: In June of this year, she pleaded guilty. She was sentenced to thirty six to ninety months in prison.
Speaker 4: So what is that three years?
Speaker 1: Three years at least?
Speaker 2: Right? She did read a statement during her hearing apologizing to Aaron. She said, I'm so immensely sorry for the pain and anxiety I have caused you and the betrayal you undoubtedly and rightfully feel by my actions. She said that she's consumed with regret every day and is ashamed and disappointed with herself. I mean, thank goodness police did intercept these messages. The stories we see on true crime are stories where they describe being ashamed and disappointed and consumed with regret after having had their loved one killed. So at least that didn't happen. I mean, that's the silver lining that this was found out ahead of time.
Speaker 3: And he spoke as well. I know what that hearing, but this, and he spoke on this idea. How can you? How can is he not looking over his shoulder the rest of his life now, even if he truly believes nobody is or his wife at least no more is trying to get this change? Is everything I could I think there's somebody out there who actually went through the motions of getting you killed. That that changes the time he spoke on that and how he has changed forever because of this. That's Look, it's disappointed. Look, marital problems are difficult enough. Divorce is hell. Now you add this other element to all of that hell already in a relationship.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine and have it play out literally on the television show that You're a star on why they make that choice. He probably had to okay it, but it was so public anyway, he probably just figured, you know what.
Speaker 4: He didn't have to have that scene. Though he didn't have it.
Speaker 1: It was a choice. It was a choice, so just one.
Speaker 3: I mean, maybe it is. This is part of just getting it out there. It's been talked about. I don't want to be a cynical is thinking oh, this is going to be a good promotional thing. I don't want to be that kind of cynical, even though it is it is a big thing. I don't want to say that. Maybe it was a choice that had more to do with closure, had more to do with keeping the public informed and letting them in. Obviously it's a full disclosure to where how this went down Like this is real, folks, So who knows why? I thought it was an interesting choice. Not sure what I would have done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well, Aaron Goodwin actually has been pretty open about it, has been speaking about it, and actually talked about it this week on his social media. We're going to go through their relationship real quickly, and it is pretty remarkable how recently they were seemingly in love to what Goodwin's response has been about the publicity surrounding this week's episode, and certainly what he's been going through. Back to this episode of Amy and TJ where we are talking about ghost Adventure star wo He has had a hell of a week, Aaron Goodwin, and he certainly had a hell of a year this week. In this latest episode of his hit show, we actually see the moment where he receives a phone call from police telling him that they are arresting his wife for plotting to have him murdered. And so, yes, this has all been going on this year. She pleaded guilty, she was sentenced, and you go back just a few years to the beginning of their relationship and the pair got married in August of twenty twenty two. So yeah, just three years ago at Disneyland, and that was a little bit later than they wanted. They had originally set their wedding for May of twenty twenty, and of course the pandemic took over, so they've been together for quite some time. But I guess she was really into the ghost adventure theme. They got actually engaged, or at least they took pictures of their celebration in Disneyland at the Haunted Mansion as part of their celebration, so they really leaned into the whole ghost thing there.
Speaker 3: That's not a starting off for Disneyland. That's probably not a good start.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and maybe at the Haunted Mansion. But he wrote it finally happened. We got married. After postponing many times to COVID, we got our day. I couldn't be happier. It's just so sad to think about what went wrong in those three years.
Speaker 4: What went wrong. Nothing went wrong enough that murder seemed to be an option.
Speaker 1: Nothing could be justifiable enough.
Speaker 4: I just can't. And there's no accusation of him doing.
Speaker 3: Anything of any kind towards her emotionally, physically, or otherwise. Nothing like that, So I don't know what happens yes, relationship break down for all kinds of reasons. It's sad every time I see it. This is a sad one as well. And we never know what happens. And we've learned this plenty, and we've experienced this plenty. You don't know what's going on in somebody else's life, relationship, marriage, no matter what they're saying or showing to you on social media. Just please, man, give everybody a break. When they look like they're doing well, and when they don't look like they're doing well, you got to give people a break.
Speaker 1: It's such a good reminder.
Speaker 2: And even Aaron Goodwin himself went on Instagram this week and I loved what he put out there. It's another reminder. You know, we think celebrities are insulated, or that if people have money or success that somehow they don't feel the same things we all feel. And this is what he said because obviously he's being inundated by requests from people who want to talk to him after this week's episode, but he said this.
Speaker 1: To all the press out there messaging me.
Speaker 2: Thank you for all reaching out and being awesome, But unfortunately I can't talk about anything yet. I can tell you guys, I'm doing okay, but I would rather be honest. Just know I'm not doing good at all, and every day is worth worse with all I'm learning all the time. They say in time everything gets better, But I just want the divorce to be over so I can move on with my life. Honestly, I probably couldn't make it through an interview without being in tears.
Speaker 1: And I'm just not ready yet.
Speaker 2: This has been the worst year of my life.
Speaker 3: I get that it was almost the way to just kind of everybody, give me a break, Come just be straight with you and get this over with and move on. I can imagine how he's being dated to talk about what right?
Speaker 1: How it feels.
Speaker 3: Yes, we work in an industry where interviews are a big deal. We love to have big gets. If I had the opportunity and say would you want to interview him or have a drink with.
Speaker 4: Him and say, yeah, I'll take the drink. Exactly, We're gonna sit down and talk to this guy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what's he going to say? I mean, it's the ultimate betrayal. The person that you loved, the person who you devoted your life to. Isn't just not in love with you? Is trying to actively kill you, and actually the last text message asked if it was done Like that's really scary and it shakes your trust to your core of humans.
Speaker 3: You know, there's a lot. I mean, there's you say ultimate betrayal there, it's it's that we've seen crimes of passion, plenty of those. Somebody gets hot in a moment rage, right, she had time to rethink what she was doing and go this is a bad idea. There was a lot of steps involved in what she was doing, which I think does for a couple of things make this more difficult to understand what was going on.
Speaker 4: She's not just crazy, is she?
Speaker 3: She didn't just become all of a sudden some homicidal maniac. What happens to people to make them capable of this? Where they always capable of this? What happens and a normal person's life that turns them into a mister murderer plotting to.
Speaker 1: Cold blooded See this is this is thoughtful?
Speaker 4: This is this is I don't get it.
Speaker 2: The more you talk about it, the more I feel like thirty six months doesn't seem like enough, because.
Speaker 1: That's a little that's scary.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine knowing that someone who tried to kill me and actually thought they had and was okay with it would be out on the streets in three years.
Speaker 3: You know we've seen I know you remember this now, but I'm always taken when we see these stories on true crime. At the end, the person who the murder for higher plot. If the person didn't get killed, then the person has usually fairly lighter sentence than you would imagine. I guess these are statutes and laws. Nobody died, didn't actually kill me, but.
Speaker 2: You wanted and thought they were dead, and you actually followed through to make sure it was done to me. That should be almost as much as murder itself. Why wouldn't it be.
Speaker 4: Why didn't this one get.
Speaker 1: They called her, she pleaded guilty.
Speaker 2: Why didn't Yes, they intercepted the text messages. They knew what was happening, so they were able to yes for the plot.
Speaker 3: But what if they hadn't exactly exactly were talking about this with the Atlanta Air thing. What if they hadn't gotten to him in time? It was just a matter, this was going to happen. People were going to die. Save a text message being picked up him.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I wonder what he is.
Speaker 3: I don't wonder if he's talked to her privately. I know he says some stuff to her in court.
Speaker 4: What could you ever possibly get past.
Speaker 2: You couldn't get past anything, but you would want to know why for some reason. I think all of us, deep down would want to know why. Even if there isn't a satiable answer. It just feels like you would still want to ask.
Speaker 3: No, it isn't the why we get in these true crime stories. The murder for hires at least seem to be all about money, not because this person made me mad or they did me wrong. It seems to be always about money. I just want to get out of the relationship and don't. It's why it's so often women are murdering the guys you mean in.
Speaker 2: Murder for hires because they don't want to get their hands dirty, or they don't think they're physically capable.
Speaker 1: I think it's one of their Maybe it's both.
Speaker 3: Yes, so we should probably check this lady. She probably has what a gambling debt, a shopping addiction, or she's a former nurse.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what we see in true crime.
Speaker 2: But unfortunately, this is a situation where you know what We wish the best for Aaron Goodwin. I can't even begin to imagine the healing that he is going to be having to go through, but it sounds like he's got a lot of support. He has a phenomenal career, and we hope that he learns to trust again one day because not everybody, and most people are not like his ex wife Victoria.
Speaker 3: I applaud him for turning something that was a passion into something that's now going to the mainstream. He made it a hit. He had to go through this publicly. He is going to be okay. It doesn't feel like it now, but of course he's going to be in a better place. You know, my mom always say, a good thing you found out now instead of finding out a few years from now.
Speaker 4: Right he's getting this out of his life now.
Speaker 1: That true.
Speaker 3: One before he's divorced, two before he's It's a blessing. This is an absolute blessing that he is alive and able to suffer right now.
Speaker 4: Congratulations.
Speaker 3: I know you don't want to hear that necessarily right now, Aaron, but my man, we are so happy you are alive and.
Speaker 4: Able to be miserable right now. Because the alternative is something else.
Speaker 1: That's a really good way to end this episode. With that, everyone, thank you for listening. I'm Ami Roboc alongside TJ Holmes. We'll talk to you soon.